| || |
[Herbert F. Van Brink]
Prolific Woodland Hills, CA-based typophile and type designer (1937-2013) whose portfolio consisted largely of revivals and who used the alias Character for his typographic work. The Los Angeles Times posted this obituary: Herb passed away after a brief fight against esophageal cancer. He was a 42 year resident of Woodland Hills Ca. Son of the late Jean and Mary Van Brink, he was born in Manhattan, graduated from Stuyvesant High School (1952) and Queens College (1956) and always considered himself a New Yorker. He had a long career in Information Technology and retired from Arco. He loved traveling, bowling, genealogy, and was a bridge Life Master among his many interests. He was a trickster and a perfectionist. He leaves his wife, Paula, his son, David Van Brink and DIL Deb Culmer of Santa Cruz CA, his daughter Qarin Van Brink and SIL James Ray of Burien WA, grandchildren Amelia and Wilhelmina Ray Van Brink, brother and sister-in-law Jeffrey and Louise Van Brink of E. Northport NY and nephews Matthew and Jordan Van Brink.
- Animal dingbat fonts: AbecedarianZoo (2003, created from an alphabet in Art Explosion 200,000), Turf&surf (2005).
- Alphadings: Jennifer's train (2011), ABCPlay (2005), DiddleTheMouse (2005), Silly Set (2005), Stone Carving (2005), Snow Persons (2005), Alaskan Ice (2005), Peppermin Canes (2005), USStarsNStripes (2003, first called USFlags), XmasTree (2002), XmasTree II (2004), Xmas Alpha (2005).
- Erotic alphabets: Flotner (2002, based on a scan of the human character alphabet by Peter Flötner (1534)), SilvestreBodies (2006, based on a figurative alphabet designed by Joseph Balthazar Silvestre in 1834, with engravings made by Girault), ErotiCaps Outline (2007), ErotiCaps Solid (2007), WeygelBodies (2006, adapted from Martin Weygel's 1560 interpretation of Peter Flotner's 1534 figurative alphabet).
- Stained glass themed fonts: ModernStainedGlass (2007), ModernStainedGlass2Tone (2007).
- Capital alphabets: Cameo Antique (2011, after Cameo Antique on page 17 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces---a shadowed outline version of the typeface called NightShade, on the same page of Dan Solo's book; the only known digitized fonts of NightShade are "Shadowed Serif" by James Fordyce (1994) and NigelSadeSH, from Soft Horizons (1993)), Modern French Capitals (2010, after a set of capitals drawn by Alphonse Mucha), Mucha French Capitals (2010, similar?), Marcel Caps (2007; based on "Crossroads" by August Will (1891)), WoodLook (2007, an improvement of 101's Wooden Alpha BlockZ), 3DAlphabet (2008, based on an alphabet coloring book designed by Jean Larcher, 1978), RomantiqueInitials (2007, based on work by Aridi), Blistered, BlisteredFramed, BlisteredReverse (2005, based on Marwan Aridi's Blister from the Initial Caps Vol I), ChiseledRound, Contemporary CH (2010), CourierInitials (2005, based on an alphabet by Johan)), Eclectica (2003, party-theme), FeathersInYourCaps (2002), FlowerSketches (2002), LACETRIM (2002), LeafyStencil (2003), QuiltedStippled (2004, based on an embroidery alphabet created by DesignsInStitches), RetroCapsBW (2004), RetroCapsWB (2004), Rope5 (2004, rope font), Rustic Black Shadow (2011. He explains: In the Solotype Catalog of 4,147 typefaces, RUSTIC is shown with a black shadow. RUSTIC WHITESHADOW has a white shadow. However, the Solotype digital font named RUSTIC has no shadow. Similar no-shadow fonts are also available as Pinewood (by Rick Mueller and one by Dieter Steffmann) and as Woody (by DincType). As of October, 2011, no digitized version of Rustic Whiteshadow is known. Character has produced a font named RusticBlackShadow, which matches the font named Rustic in the Solotype Catalog. Dick Pape had created an earlier version named "Pepin Press Caps FA204", based on fonts contained in the Pepin Press book "Fancy Alphabets". ), THINROPE (2002), VALENTINEHEARTS (2002), Printed Circuit (2005), SportsABC (2005), Feathered Flight (2005), Joe Clement (2007, Western pixel face), Ribbon Shadow (2007).
- Fonts based on scans from Awesome Alphabets (Mike Artell, 1999, Good Year): SketchBoards, SketchBones, SketchClothes, SketchLogs (2005), SketchPencils, SketchPipes, SketchTools, all done in 2005.
- Athletic lettering: Collegiate Heavy Outline (2006), Real Madrid 2011-2012 (2011, an expansion of a font by "Adriano"), The Football League (2011), Adidas Euro 2008 (2011), Puma World Cup 2010 (2010: based on Crepello, a custom-made font by Paul Barnes for Puma, that was used on the jersey of Italy, Switzerland and Uruguay during the 2010 FIFA World Cup), Adidas Unity (2010), LINKEB+Regular (2008) uses the lettering of the Geaux font used by LSU.
- Pixel or dot matrix style fonts: Dash It All (2007, based on Cooper Black), Even Hearted (2007, an improvement of CK More Hearts), Square 9x9 (2007).
- Brush faces: Skippingbrush (2006), GraffitiPaintBrush (2008).
- Dingbats: Being Sport Pictograms (2008).
- Scanbats: PilobusSilhouettes (2010) is based upon a human alphabet photographed by John Kane.
- Techno: BultacoDual (2010), Dr Who 42 (2007), London MMXII (2008), ArrowheadLake (2009, +Shadows, +Sunlit; based on the nearly blackletter face Arrowhead from the Solotype Catalog and alphabet books).
- Historic faces: Driftwood 67 (2011, Driftwood on page 67 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), ArrowheadLake and ArrowheadLakeShadows (2011, based on Solotype Catalog p.74), Cutin (2011, a simple rounded monoline sans called Cut-in Medium on page 163 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces),Cutin (2011, a simple rounded monoline sans called Cut-in Medium on page 163 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), Pepin FA288 (2011, based on Matra, or Bifur, on page 54 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces by Dan X. Solo), Varicka (2010, from "Decorative Condensed Alphabets", by Dan Solo, p. 94. It is similar to Red Rooster's Triple Gothic Condensed, but the Solo's font has different features), MaxfieldParrish140 (2007: From an incomplete (no "N") hand-drawn alphabet by Maxfield Parrish. See figure 140 of "Letters&Lettering" by Frank C. Brown, 1921. This is a different source than the P22 Parrish font family.), Ronde Antique (2009, based on page 110 of the Verlag Gerlach 1881 catalog).
- Other: Scramble Mixed (2006, scrabble face), Happy Fourth, Emperor AN (2009: this semi-art nouveau face is Emperor on page 42 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces---not the same as Dan Solo's Emperor at MyFonts), Wood Gothic Caps (2011, blackletter), WoodWud (2011), Gallia Two (2010, based on a font found on page 55 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces as Gallia No. 2), Charleston (2010, based on page 46 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), Azteca Regular (2010: based on Azteca Condensed by Dan X. Solo, page 74 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), Othello Fill and Solid (2011, derived from Othello on page 155 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), Sharons Shadows (2010, +Bold), Masked Menace (2012, based on Bodoni Poster).
Fontspace link. Dafont link. Yet another URL. Fontspace link. And another one. See also at abfonts. Dafont link. [Google]
[Eyesaw (was: Fontomas.com, or Signalgrau)]
[Signalgrau *(was: eyesaw fontz)]
Eyesaw (was: Fontomas.com, or Signalgrau)
Dirk Uhlenbrock's (b. Essen, 1964) studied communication design at BUGH Wuppertal. His typographic contributions were presented under various labels such as Signalgrau, Fontomas.com, Eyesaw, or TypeType.
His fonts: Buddies (funny dingbat font), Scrabble (1999), Pizzo (pixel font, 2000), Accient (2000), EURASIAOblique, Freak (1998), SpaceAge, Fivejive (2000), Missu (2001), T-Series (a family by Stephen Payne (UK, 2000) for Territory), XXX (1998, sexy silhouettes), Y2k (2000), Basm (family by Miguel Basm Visser, 2000), Corner-bi and Corner-mono (both by Ole Fischer for Fischer Jr Design), Persona, Creatures (dingbats by Dirk Uhlenbrock, 1998), Thaipe, Thaiga, (squaregrid (Jay Marley, 2001), Bath (Heiko Hoos, 2001), Honey (Dirk Uhlenbrock, 2001), Pinx (Dirk Uhlenbrock, 2001), Tuna Salad (Dirk Uhlenbrock, 2001), Evo (2002), EvoThin (2002), Gen3000 (2002), Gen3000Thin (2002), HanneloreOutline (2001), Hannelore (2001), MassBlack (2002), MassOutline (2002), Mass (2002), MassStriped (2002), MassThin (2002), Microbe (2002), PellegriniItalic (2002), Pellegrini (2002), PileOutline (2002), Pile (2002), Rickshaw (2002, Indic letter simulation), Swisz (2002), SwiszThin (2002), TurbonItalic (2002), Turbon (2002), Apollo9, Apollo9Italic, Bite, Blob, BlobThin, Bubble, BubbleWild, Crack, Creatures, Dennis, Dioptrin, Dna, Electrance, Frakt, Launchpad, ORAV, Paul5, Paul6, PlakatOne, PlakatTwo, Push, Rubbermaid, RubbermaidSingle, Ticker, Tubeone, Tubetwo, Tvdinner, TvdinnerFull, Ufo, UfoItalic, Yodle.
At Fountain, he designed Robotron and Super and Girl (2003, a Bauhaus experiment).
Kombi was created in 2003.
The Fontomas CD published in 2005 (40 dollars for 75 fonts) is reviewed by Yves Peters. On it, we find older fonts as well as newer ones by Dirk himself: Ove, Gen1000 (DNA style), Hannelore, Mass, Micro B, Pellegrini (script), Pile, Swisz, Turbon, Rickshow (Indic simulation).
At 14. tage der typographie in 2013, he spoke on Grafik gegen Rechts.
Dafont link. Old URL. Another old URL. Alternate URL. FontShop link. Klingspor link. Fontspace link. Fountain Type link. [Google]
Herbert F. Van Brink
A scrabble glyph set in GIF format. [Google]
Italian company which offers a free 500-set font package, of which five were made by Lecce, Italy-based Jecko (b. 1990), according to their web site: Jecko Legacy, JD LCD Rounded, JD Familla, JD Stars, JD Rings.
FontStructor who designed the dot matrix face JD LCD Rounded (2011).
Fontspace has several fonts made in 2011: JD LED 3 (dot matrix face), JD Scarabeo (white on black face for Scrabble tiles, +Light), JD Erica Regular (octagonal), Jecko Legacy, JD Jessica Regular (dot matrix face), JD Garden Regular (octagonal outline face), JD LCD Rounded, JD Eugeni (octagonal, white-on-black), JD Gina Regular, JD Star Regular, JD Rings Regular, and JD Nadia Regular, JD Brush, JD Stefania, JD Jerk, JD Hands, JD LED3 (dot matrix face), JD Familla, JD Treasure (handprinted), JD Rossella (handprinted), JD Fabiola (handprinted), JD Techno (handprinted), JD Teresa (handprinted), JD Lecce (octagonal), JD Eugenia (white on black), JD Code (octagonal), JD Stars.
Fonts from 2012: JD Lucrezia, JD Digital Regular.
Fonts made in 2013: JD Melted, JD Carnival, JD Royal, JD Tuline (bilined), JD Digisquare (textured typeface), JD Glare, JD Pictura, JD Talk (a multiline typeface), JD Rosaria, JD LED 7, JD Vega, JD Teresa, JD Stefania, JD Gina (octagonal), JD Arrow Up, JD drip, JD LED 5, JD Wave, JD Fynx, JD Tyr, JD Fantasy (stitched font), JD Neos (octagonal).
Abstract Fonts link. Fontspace link. Dafont link. FontStruct link. [Google]
RAF Web Designs (was: ARRF Designs and RA Fonts)
Randy Ford (Sarasota, FL) has been designing typefaces since 1997. His (free) creations: Angelized, Cool Dots (this face, also called Desiree's-CoolDots, was inspired by randy's niece, Desiree Chubb), Digital Surf, Flakes, Showtime (1998, art deco), CreepyGraves, Tilez (for scrabble), Lizzard (2008, inspired by his son, Ryan), Squaresville, the magnificently beautiful HypnOtik, YearbookMess, Molecular (2008), Barcoding, Futured, Christmas.
In 2012, he created Sporedom.
Fontspace link. Fontsy link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. MyFonts link. Fontm link. Old URL. [Google]
[RAF Web Designs (was: ARRF Designs and RA Fonts)]
A type 3 postscript font for Scrabble, written by Henry McGilton and Mary Campione, as part of chapter 10 of their successful book "PostScript by Example" (Addison-Wesley, 1992). In that same chapter, one can also find a card deck font in type 3 format. [Google]
Signalgrau *(was: eyesaw fontz)
Signalgrau was eyesaw fontz. It offered free Mac/PC T1 and TrueType fonts by Dirk Uhlenbrock from Essen, Germany (b. 1964). Many of his fonts are "techno", but there is some variation in the selection. The "Creatures" dingbat is very very funny, and a must-see. Check also the erotic font Xxx, which can be seen here. Names: Alienation, AlienationOutline, Alieo, Apollo9, Apollo9Italic, Atman, AtmanBold, Atmandings, Bald, Baldhead, BeBop, Bebop, Bite, Bits, Blob, BlobThin, Bubble, BubbleWild, Crack, Creatures, Dennis, Dioptrin, Dna, Electrance, Frakt, Gordon, Launchpad, Max, Kazoo, M Werk, Rosalinde (original script-techno font available at Fountain), Jetset, FSB, Ticket, ORAV (hacker font), Paul5, Paul6, PlakatOne, PlakatTwo, Push, Rubbermaid, RubbermaidSingle, Scrabble (1999), Speedway, Splat, Ticker, Tubeone, Tubetwo, Tvdinner, TvdinnerFull, Ufo, UfoItalic, Xxx, Yodle, Honey (pixel font), Super, Girl (Fountain, 2002), Robotron (Fountain: futuristic type). Swisz, a 5-weight family, is used in the magazine Massiv. [Google]
Simon Daykin (Byte-sized Computing) created Keyboard (shareware font) and Scramble (1996, a Scrabble letter font, demo version only for free). Alternate URL. Fontspace link. [Google]