| || |
2016 US Presidential Campaign Fonts
The US presidential campaign fonts include Sharp sans (by Lucas Sharp; for Hillary Clinton), Jubilat (by Joshua Darden, for Bernie Sanders), Berthold Akzidenz-Grotesk Bold Extended and FF Meta Bold (for Donald Trump) and Electra (by W.A. Dwiggins, for Ted Cruz). [Google]
Aka Ando Karambo. Illustrator and graphic designer in Düsseldorf, Germany, who designed Samson (2013) and Aquazoo (2014: a rounded sans and paperclip typeface rolled into one; designed together with g31 for the Aquazoo Löbbecke Museum Branding).
Typefaces from 2016: the non-conformist typeface family Caractère Anal (the name was chosen in reference to people with an anal personality. Some may prefer the equivalent name Caractère Trumpiste), Baechlemeid (a hand-crafted typeface for the Bächlemeid architects in Konstanz) and Japanische Populärkultur (stretchable gridded letters). [Google]
London-based creator of the rounded organic typeface Annulus (2017). [Google]
Graphic designer and illustrator in Tallahassee, FL, who created the illustrated set of letters spelling Resist (2017). Also noteworthy is her Trumpian Lord of the Puss Illustration (2017). Behance link. [Google]
During her studies in New York City, Charlotte Simons designed the fun brush-stroked typeface Nimis Absurdam (2016), which is named after a papal law to remove the Jews from Rome. [Google]
Illustrator and professor in Boston, MA, who created many great typographic posters. He especially got a lot of mileage out of Donald Trump. [Google]
Melbourne, Australia-based designer of the sturdy titling font Quinse (2016). He writes: Inspired by the style and character of French directional signage, Quinse is a confident and bold signature font for brandmark design, packaging design, headlines for publications, and print and digital campaigns.
In 2017, he designed the spurred Trump Font: Inspired by The Greatest Donald of our time (with apologies to Sutherland & Duck). Trump Bold is designed in his image; Bold and Distinctive. Trump Bold works well alone and is kind of a big deal!! So choose Trump Bold for your next brand or advertising project and Make Typography Great Again!!! Other typefaces from 2017: Frate (stencil). [Google]
Salt Lake City-based designer of the all caps blackboard bold typeface Lazy Lovers (2016). [Google]
Studio in Wellington, New Zealand. In 2018, worried about the negative impact of the Trump presidency in New Zealand, they published the free font TrumpFace. [Google]
[Typollery (was: Dri Zy)]
Designer (b. 1982) of the playful November Rain (2019) and the fuzzy outline font Gas Bags (2019), named in support of DJT. [Google]
Art director in Barcelona who designed Trump Font in 2016. Behance link. [Google]
Designer in Amman, Jordan. His typefaces are largely experimental. They include Fuck Trump (2017). [Google]
Cleveland, Ohio-based designer of the thick blackletter typeface From A Cage (2017), created as a reaction to Trump's crackdown on freedom of speech and movement. Behance link. [Google]
[Jill Bells's Cyberstudio]
Jill Bells's Cyberstudio
A graduate of UCLA and Otis/Parsons, Jill worked as a graphic artist, primarily creating letter forms, logotypes, signage, calligraphic elements, icons, and handwriting pieces. She worked as sign painter in a shop and as a production artist for Saul Bass. She was based in Los Angeles and was active from circa 1980 until today.
Original fonts and artwork by Jill Bell include It's A Breeze, ITC Clover (1997), ITC Gigi (1995), ITC Hollyweird (1995), ITC Carumba (1995), ITC Caribbean (1996), ITC Smack (1995, ink-stain typeface), ITC Stranger (1997), Jill's Miro, Bruno (handwriting font), Swank (2000, Agfa: a fuzzy-edged calligraphic font).
At TypeCon 2016 in Seattle, she had a timely talk: The Best of Clients at the Craziest Time: Hand-lettering & Font Design for the Trump Hotels. The abstract: It began with creating a logotype for The Spa by Ivanka Trump. The lettering was so well received by Ivanka, their ad agency and others running the Trump hotel empire that Bell's lettering quickly became the de facto style for their current advertising and branding: from hand-lettered headlines to a font to be used throughout the Trump hotels.
Autobiography. FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Jolly Rebellion is a design agency in South Kensington, London, run by Frankie Oliver, Ila De Mello Kamath, Cathy Hutton (creative director) and Hiot Shawl, under the motto create good trouble. In 2017, they commissioned Rick Banks, founder of F37 foundry and creator of type and logos for the likes of Nike, Adidas, Douwe Egberts, D&AD and Taschen, to design a special display typeface called Write Off Trump This Christmas. Available to download for 6.66 pounds, all proceeds will go to three charities: Hope Not Hate, an advocacy group countering racism and fascism, TellMama, a project recording and tackling anti-Muslim incidents in the UK, and Fawcett, the UK's leading charity campaigning for gender equality and women's rights. Quoting Rick Banks: Placing the new typeface over Trump's face and mouth was thoroughly therapeutic! Let's hope we can raise money to help shut him up for real. [Google]
Designer of the free sans typeface The Donald (2016). This is just a rip-off of Berthold Akzidenz-Grotesk Bold Extended, the font used by Trump in his "Trump Make America Great Again" slogan poster. [Google]
Type designer based in Brooklyn, NY. In 2014, as an intern at Typefounding (St. Louis, MO), he developed a typeface pending distribution by House Industries. In 2015, he joined Font Bureau, where he designed MF Ambulia Text (his graduation project at Type@Cooper in 2015), MF Abagnale (original headline sans from 2014), and MF Gaussian, under the umbrella of Font Bureau's Senior Font Designer, Cyrus Highsmith.
MF Gaussian (2015) is a multiple-master didone named after the mathematical averaging process, since its bold regular weight is the average between a Didot and a Clarendon. MF Ferrans Sans and MF Alizarin were small projects from 2013. Buffalo (2014), mentioned above, is a digitization of Ed Benguiat's Benguiat Buffalo Ornamental. Based on Donald Roos's digitization of Benguiat Buffalo, it was created for Ben Kiel during an internship at Typefounding. This typeface is pending online distribution by House Industries. The luxury brand logo typeface MF Flair (2014) was the precursor of MF Gaussian.
In 2016, he became graphic designer at BuzzFeedNews. Just before Election Day in 2016, he used samples of Donald Trump's scribbles to make the free comic book font BF Tiny Hand. Read what BuzzFeedNews's Ben King has to say.
Behance link. Twitter link. Fontspace link for BF Tiny hand. [Google]
During her studies in Boston in 2018, Molly Magnell designed the modular Tuscan typeface Amaryllis. Behance link. [Google]
Mon Pote stands for Most Original Nincompoop Prize Of the Trump Era. Started in November 2016, it is given annually, during Trump's tenure, to the best new typeface related to the most intelligent president in history. The jury is presided by Luc Devroye, whose office is accepting nominations all year long. The awards are given in November of each year. The winner is expected to donate to the Canadian Narcissism Society, the Grab That Puppy Association, or Club Med Guantanamo. The list of winners: [Google]
Illustrator in Tel Aviv, Israel. In 2018, he created the decorative all caps typeface Great Again, which highlights all that is wrong in Trump's empire. Behance link. [Google]
Barely five days after the catastrophe of November 6, 2016, Simon Dunford (London, Ontario) published the scanbat typeface Trump (2016). In December 2016, he published Dawson Grotesque. In 2017, he designed the art deco typeface Mouron (free, caps only; named after A.M. Cassandre, whose real name was Adolphe Jean-Marie Mouron), Dylan Gothic and the Tuscan wood type emulation typeface Poblano. Dafont link. Behance link. [Google]
Snyder Studio (New York) is run by Kristina Snyder (CEO b. Sweden) with her partners, John Foster and Gary Cunliffe. In 2018, they designed the free political typeface Trump Grotesk. [Google]
The Feminist Letters
A free orphaned font by unknown designers, published in 1981: Each letter and number is specifically designed with purpose, calling attention to issues like equal pay, reproductive rights, women's health, women in politics, and campus assault laws. The Feminist Letters were created by New York-based ad agency Y&R in collaboration with Women of Sex Tech, another New York-based group of entrepreneurs dedicated to increasing the diversity of sex tech. The font first debuted at the Women's March in January 2017, where the letters were used on signs in NYC, LA, Philadelphia and other U.S. cities, as up to 5 million women worldwide marched for equality. In particular in rallies against the election of President Donald "Grab 'Em By the Pussy" Trump. [Google]
London, UK-based designer of the free Trumpface (2018), who writes: A custard toupee, the skin of an orange, and an orifice widely believed to be a mouth. [Google]
Trump's campaign fonts
Trump's campaign fonts: Berthold Akzidenz-Grotesk Bold Extended and FF Meta Bold. [Google]
TypeCon 2016 took place from August 24-28, 2016 in Seattle, WA. The theme was Resound. The keynote talk was by Nadine Chahine, who courageously warned the audience about the danger of Donald Trump. The list of speakers: Pouya & Pegah Ahmadi, Azza Alameddine, Agnes Barton-Sabo, Justin Beaudry, Peter Bella, Jill Bell, Laura Bentley, Amir Berbic, John D. Berry, Berry Ann Bessemans, Scott Boggan, Yvonne Cao, Matthew Carter, Nadine Chahine, Karen Cheng, Ryan Clifford, Emily Conners, Dave Crossland, Lucas Czarnecki, Si Daniels, Meaghan Dee, Petra Docekalova John Downer, Rachel Elnar, Thomas Eykemans, Kate Fernandez, Anna Filbert, Richard Fink, lvaro Franca, Joseph Galbreath, Tyler Galloway, Roxane Gataud, Patrick Gosnell, Frank Grießlhammer, Sibylle Hagmann, Allan Haley, Randall M. Hasson, Norman Hathaway, Paul Herrera, Mark Jamra, Thomas Jockin, Sally Kerrigan, Joyce Ketterer, Akira Kobayashi, Olav Martin Kvern, Kvern Alice Lee, Andrea Leksen, Briar Levit, Bruno Maag, Charmaine Martinez, Lara McMormick, Paul McNeil, Jess Meoni, Lauren Meranda, Ana Monroe, Carl Montford, Aoife Mooney, Silas Munro, Jason Murdock, Toshi Omagari, Neil Patel, David Peacock, Mary Catherine Pflug, Thomas Phinney, John Pigford, JP Porter, Amy Redmond, Mamoun Sakkal, Stuart Sandler, Rainer Erich Scheichelbauer, Hans Schellhas, Georg Seifert, Debi Sementelli, Reneél Seward, Paul Shaw, Juliet Shen, Nick Sherman, Radek Sidun, Gabriel Solomons, Michael Stinson, Nina Stössinger, Neil Summerour, Rebecca Tegtmeyer, Adrien Tétar, Douglas Thomas, Tricia Treacy, Mark van Wageningen, Wageningen Guy Villa, Jenny Wilkson, Matthew Wizinsky, Laura Worthington, Lance Wyman, Jayme Yen. [Google]
Typollery (was: Dri Zy)
Dri Zy, orv Drizy, is Faqih Sandri, aka Faqih Fawaji. Bandung, Indonesia-based designer of the layered techno typeface Trixie (2016), the brush typefaces Syelma Script (2016) and Syemox (2016), the gothic typeface Dark Widow (2016), the vintage lettering typefaces Overjoyed (2016, Western style) and Beatrixe (2016), the paperclip typeface Kuxu (2016), Dark Widow (2016), Brain Melt (2016: the ultimate Halloween / horror font), Mama Lian (2016), Copper (2016), Dust (2016), the brush script fonts Aeros (2016) and Rostoh (2016, brushy), the children's script typeface Roast (2016), the hand-crafted Eastpine (2016), Nyam (2016, layered) and Monstahh (2016), the slimy Halloween typeface Brain Melt (2016), and the poster typeface family Ayuenda (2016).
Typefaces from 2017: Heimdal (futuristic), Alectro (sci-fi style, with elements of Sinaloa), Wakiki (layered typeface), Kauai, Maui Script, Mokoto (a layered TV glitch typeface), Anxiety (multiline font), Nemphis (neo deco), Andimia (a layered Victorian font family), Mr. Trumb (comic book style, what else?), Mr. Trumb Chalk.
Typefaces from 2018: Orbit, Solo (a thin all caps avant-garde font), Midnight (horror font), Buick (ethnic, futuristic and bold), Astro, Amoux, Galatee, Love & Life.
Typefaces from 2019: Galatee Script, Aeros (brush script), Tulisan, Bomtur, Forever (a signature script), The Brawn (monoline script), Loka, Brack (rough brush), Orbit, Midnight. [Google]
Belgrade, Serbia-based designer (b. 1981) of these typefaces:
- The fat rounded sans typefaces Guest (2019) and Subscribe (2019).
- The Western font Kasplysk (2019).
- The German expressionist outline typeface Robert (2018).
- Current Moment (2019): a digitized "Zuccini" plate by Frits Jonker.
- The LED gont Technology (2018).
- The octagonal athletic lettering fonts Barbara (2019) and Soccer League (2018) and the outlined athletic font Onderneming (2018).
- Leculier (2018). After an alphabet in Georges Leculier's art decxo lettering book from ca. 1930.
- The textured typefaces Meshes (2018), Complained (2019), Duration (2018) and its solid counterpart, Duration Book (2018).
- The speed font Speed Racing (2019).
- Essere (2018).
- The rounded organic sans typefaces Available (2018) and Biysk (2018).
- Driving Around (2018).
- The decorative floral caps typefaces Floral Capitals (2018) and Narcissus (2018).
- Gradientico (2018). A textured didone.
- The Greek simulation font Meteora (2018).
- Griddy Blocks (2018) and Blocky Letters (2018).
- Decorattio (2018).
- Ordinary (2018) and Mina is Gone (2018).
- The trilined typeface Trio (2017).
- The free connected handwriting typeface Eric's (2016).
- The military typefaces Login (2018), Commanders (2017) and Hunt (2017).
- The neon typeface Bubble 3D (2017), and the neon and shadow font family Magia (2019).
- The display typefaces Swordsman (2019), Regular (2019), Andrey (2019), Retrive (2019), Connected (2019), Locator (2018), Tracking (2018), Iceberg (2018: snow-capped letters), New Amsterdam (2018), Ana (2018), Enemy (2018), New Yorkers (2018), Happy Day at School (2018), Focused (2018), Modish (2018), Beholder (2018) and Principality (2017).
- Schaeffer (2017). A revival of the famous multiline typeface Fatima (1933, Karl Hermann Schaefer).
- Remained (2017) and Liquidrom (2018). Multilined typefaces.
- The grungy typefaces Drunk Millionaire (2019), Haziness (2017) and Victorious (2017).
- The bubblegum typeface Icecreamer (2017), and its oily companions Gummy (2018) and Liquid (2018).
- The heavy deco typefaces Guest (2019), Bigger (2018), Hours (2018), Intransitive (2018: Dutch deco), Theatrical (2017) and Consequences (2017).
- The beveled fonts Playback (2018) and Member (2018).
- The marquee typefaces Casino (2018) and Chicago (2018).
- The Slavonic emulation typeface Russian Land (2017) and the Cyrillic emulation typefaces Kalinka (2019), Rubles (2018), Maniac (2018), Jurij (2018), Kachusha (2018), Soviet Program (2018), Armenia (2017), Fontograd (2018) and Russian Spring (2017).
- Movie fonts: Film Letters (2018).
- Art deco typefaces: Angelica (2019), Protocol (2019), Retrospective (2019), Leculier (2018, after an alphabet in Georges Leculier's art deco lettering book from ca. 1930), Better (2018), Critical (2017).
- The outlined typeface Important (2018).
- The decorative sans typefaces Answer (2018), Hours (2018), Abandoned (2018), Sea Gardens (2017), Forvertz (2018), Yeysk (2018) and Closeness (2018).
- The didone typeface Vogue (2018).
- Monogramus (2019), Blocky Monogram (2018) and Monograma (2018).
- The geometric solid typeface family Ivan (2019).
- The geometric sans typeface Occupied (2017).
- Rise of Kingdom (2017).
- The layerable marquee font Rockefeller (2018).
- The squarish typefaces Players (2018) and Cataclysmo (2017).
- Cartoonish (2017).
- Hesitation (2017). A rounded hand-crafted poster font.
- The hand-crafted typefaces Milord (2018), Sex and Breakfast (2018), Sweet Handwrite (2018), Industrial Revolution (2018), Oh Maria (2017), Sofija (2017) and Travelling (2017).
- The fantastic caricature typeface Damen (2018).
- The multiline typefaces However (2019), Confarreatio (2018) and Fudged (2018).
- Leben and Leben Shadow (2018).
- Braillenum (2018).
- Games (2017). An inline typeface.
- The shadow fonts Groowing (2019), Enough (2019), President (2019), Silence (2019), Dressed (2019), Already (2019), Hocus Pocus (2019), Password (2019), Ready (2018) and Messages (2017).
- The 3d typeface Metallic (2019).
- Schreibmaschine (2017). A dusty old typewriter font.
- The vintage initial caps typefaces Nautiica 3d (2018), Fantasy Capitals (2018) and Herne Capitals (2018).
- The ornamental caps typefaces Mechanismo (2019) and Pencil Letters (2019).
- The Arabic emulation typeface Sinbad (2018).
- Herne (2018).
- Passage (2018).
- The dingbat fonts Pablo (2019), Fishes (2019), Dream of Picasso (20190, Stam (2019), Animality (2019), Ink Drops (2019), Faces (2019), Bayan (2019), Froggy (2019), Senhoras (2019), Diamondo (2019), Skallen (2019: skulls), Swimmers (2019), Churches (2019), Easter Icons (2019), Notre Dame and Notre Dame de Paris (2019: scanbats), Lippen (2019), Gullar (2019), Bankwesen (2019), Hollywood Actors (2019: scanbats), Creatures with Horns (2019), Vehicles (2019), Various Hands (2019), 3D Animals (2019), Abantu (2019), Herr (2019), Menge (2019), Funny Aliens (2019), Mustachos (2019), Kids Drawings (2019), Tierfarm (2019), Troep (2018), Women Heads (2018), Cats and Dogs (2018), Wanita (2018), Eyez (2018), Animales (2018), Peoples (2018), Mobile Icons (2018), Controllers (2018), Womano (2018), Lost in Space (2018), European Leaders (2018: scanbats), Blumen (2018: flowers), Trumpolina (2018: Trump scanbats), Tetriso (2018), Snowflake (2018), Meine (2018: masks), Horoscopicus (2018), Esoterica (2018), Astrologicus (2018, astrolical symbols), Abbild (2018: African masks), Being (2018: monsters), Gebell (2018), Headed (2018), Falter (2018), Filling (2018), Anichka (2018), Cyclopia (2018), Buggus (2018), Opa (2018), Messe (2017), Head of Idol (2018), Diavolo Nero (2017: funny silhouettes).
- Knotty (2018).
- The Mexican style font Mexicanera (2018), Dilemma (2018: Mexican Calavera skulls), and Mexican Tequila (2018).
- The techno typefaces Passionate Relationship (2019), Neighbor (2018), Bombardment (2018) and Leprosy (2018).
- The constructivist typefaces Tokarev (2017), Russiano (2018), Suggested (2018), Hungaria (2018) and Schwachsinn (2018).
- The avant-garde typeface Typolino (2018).
- Fixation (2018). A headline sans.
- Regensburg (2018).
- Owners (2018) and Housebreak (2019). In the ultra-fat sans genre.
- The prismatic typefaces Boogie Woogie (2019), Running (2019), Bigger Italic (2018; based on Bigger Book), Linerine (2018) and Cosmology (2018).
- Failed (2018).
- The codex typeface Measurements (2018).
- Damages (2018).
- The circle-themed font Condition (2018).
- The textured typefaces Hornettio (2018) and Ignorant (2018).
- The oriental simulation fonts Chinese Dragon (2019), Sudoku (2019), Hiroshima (2019) and Kamikaze (2018).
- The stencil fonts Browser (2019), Serbia (2019), Belgrado (2019), Further (2019), Generals (2018), Mayor (2018) and Olga (2018).
- The grunge font Leave No Fingerprints (2018).
- The outlined typefaces 3D Letters (2018), Milk & Chocolate (2018: trilined), Czar (2018), Classica (2018) and Created (2018).
- The glitch font Searching For Signal (2019).
- The glaz krak font Smashed (2018).
- The 3d dingbats typeface Jigsaw Puzzles 3D (2018).
- Letters in Circles (2018).
- The modular typefaces Orenburg (2018), Broadway (2018) and Assyrian (2018).
- The alphadings Hearts and Arrows (2018), Penguins (2018), Kitties (2018), Doggy (2018), Teddy Bears (2018), International Capitals (2018), Aafia Capitals (2018), Answer Capitals (2018), Beholder Capitals (2018).
Istanbul-based designer, with Ayse Sismanoglu, of the free Most Powerful Font (2018). The letters are taken from the signatures of the G7 leaders that met in Charlevoix, Quebec in June 2018. [Google]