| || |
FontStructor (perhaps Dana Ramond Kaikane Stoneman of Hockey Shark Productions) who made these fonts in 2011: Burlesque (Art deco), Tebacabi (squarish), Stretched Out, Winter Wind, Theory (texture face), Theory Improved, Elite (gridded), Continuum, Quilted Silk (squarish textured face), What (texture pixel face), Freaky (tall condensed square face), Jordan, Slob, Ertite (pixelish), Dictator (pixel face), Duh Pixels (pixel face), Ribbon, Twee, Best Love Song, Bolderic, Sliders, Slapshot, Sloppy Sketcher, Serifereal Vision, Pieramids. [Google]
AArrgghh! Typefaces used to offer shareware fonts by Jonathan Smith (Cleveland, OH) of Rhode Island Soft Systems: New Land Contour, All-Hearts, Bunny-Lips, Confetti, El-RioLobo (1993, Mexican simulation face), Elbjorg-Script, Essential-Times, Firey, Glifik, Gyptienne (hieroglyphics), Hero-Outline, Hirosh (oriental simulation face; an exact copy of Sukiyaki, made in 1968 by Gene Eidy for Lettergraphics International), Ice-CreamSandwich, Ice-Snow, Made-InTheUSA, New-LandContour, New-LandInline, New-LandOutline, New-LandSport, Ol'54, Planetz, Porter-Lil'Kaps (gorgeous late night show display font), Religious, RockArt, Spider-WebBlock, The-Score, Wet-Paint.
Fontspace link. [Google]
Abydos (2018) is a set of two fonts by George Douros to catalogue 7950 Egyptian hieroglyphs. [Google]
Ancient Arts of Egypt
Hieroglyphic fonts made before 2004 include RK-Meroitic-(Demotic), Nahkt, RK-Sanskrit, Cartouche, Deities, Archaeological-Demo, Egypt0, LMSEgyptianBookends, Lotusflower, RK-Meroitic-(Hieroglyphics), RK-Meroitic-Transscript, Papyrus, ScarabBorder, Scarab, and TempusSansITC. Ramses EF (2001, Veronika Elsner and Günther Flake) is a hieroglyph simulation font.
A more recent listing of commercial hieroglyphic typefaces: P22 Hieroglyphic (P22), GM Hieroglyphic Kerned (MunchFonts), Witchfinder (Die Typonauten), Ornata F (Wiescher Design), Intellecta Pointers And Hands (Intellecta Design), Vintage Hands (Intellecta Design), H-AND-S (AND), Kasuga (insigne), Kasuga Brush (insigne), Nefertiti (JAB), Troyer AR (ARTypes), Linotype Hieroglyphes (Linotype), Gorod.Khabarovsk (FontCity), Coo Coo (chicken), Skeleton Slab (Studio K), Ornata D (Wiescher Design), Ornata C (Wiescher Design), Ornata E (Wiescher Design), Egyptian Hieroglyphics - The Egyptologist (Deniart Systems), Hieroglyph Informal (Grummedia), EF Ramses (Elsner+Flake), Egyptian Hieroglyphics Basic (Deniart Systems), Border Glyphs (Deniart Systems), Lady Cleo (Solotype), Egyptian Hieroglyphics Deities (Deniart Systems), Fengo (Mostardesign), Han Zi (ParaType), YWFT Illuminati (YouWorkForThem), Thebes (Simeon out West), Egyptian Hieroglyphics – Dendera (Deniart Systems), Alexandria (Simeon out West). [Google]
Anexos de Escritura
The glyphs of the hieroglyphic script. [Google]
Anthony's Egyptology Download Area
Anthony C. DiPaolo's page at Osiris Web Design has a 4-file hieroglyphic truetype family. Download does not work though. [Google]
Antonio Hernández Marín
[El Circulo de Oro de Uresh-Nefer]
Archaeological Fonts (by Bonneville Electronics)
The was a commercial site located in West Clinton, Utah, that was run by Scott T. Smith from Clinton, Utah. It had Mayan, hieroglyphs, cuneiform, Syriac, Etruscan, old Greek, old Hebrew and archeological fonts as well as Native American dingbats. [Google]
[Peter R. Wilson]
Peter R. Wilson's metafont code (2000-2005) for many archaic languages: Proto-Semitic (16bc), Phoenician (10bc), Greek (6bc), Greek (4bc), Etruscan (8bc), Futharc (Anglo-Saxon, 6ad), Hieroglyphics (30bc: the hieroglf provides a Metafont version of about 80 Egyptian hieroglyphs from Serge Rosmorduc's comprehensive hieroglyph package, see here for a type 1 version called Archaic-Poor-Mans-Hieroglyphs (2005)), Cypriot (9bc). Peter also developed metafont fonts for bookhands. The Archaic ollection contains fonts to represent Aramaic, Cypriot, Etruscan, Greek of the 6th and 4th centuries BCE, Egyptian hieroglyphics, Linear A, Linear B, Nabatean old Persian, the Phaistos disc, Phoenician, proto-Semitic, runic, South Arabian Ugaritic and Viking scripts. The bundle also includes a small font for use in phonetic transcription of the archaic writings. The bundle's own directory includes a font installation map file for the whole collection. The authors are Peter R. Wilson, Uwe Zimmermann and Apostolos Syropoulos. See here for the type 1 fonts Archaic-OandS (2005) and Archaic-OandS-Italic (2005). Here we find type 1 versions called Square-Capitals (2005) and Square-Capitals-Bold (2005). He also made the type 1 typefaces Archaic-Etruscan (2005), Archaic-Runic (2005) and Archaic-ProtoSemitic (2005). Further packages of type 1 and metafont fonts: Archaic-Aramaic (2005), South Arabian (2005, for the South Arabian script, in use for about 1000 years from roughly 600 BC; based on a metafont by Alan Stanier), Archaic-Linear-B (2005: a syllabary used in the Bronze Age (15bc) for writing Mycenaean Greek), Archaic-Nabatean (2005: the Nabatean script used in the Middle East between the fourth centuries BC and AD), Archaic-Old-Persian (2005: the Old Persian Cuneiform script in use between about 500 to 350 BC.), Archaic-Ugaritic-Cuneiform (2005: the Ugaritic Cuniform script in use about 1300 BC), Archaic-Cypriot (1999-2005). [Google]
Barmee.com (was: Czcionki.com, or: Barme Fonts)
Original fonts by Polishman Bartek Nowak (aka Barme, b. 1973) made in 2000-2001: BukwaNormal (Cyrillic), Nokian (pixel font), Passja, Xar, BarmeReczny, Elementarz (orthographic writing for kids) [see also here], Gotyk-Poszarpany (Fraktur, revamped in 2014 as Gotyk Nr 7), Afarat Ibn Blady (Arabic simulation face), Hieroglify, Kobajashi, Kwadryga, Magda (Basque), Maszyna (old typewriter), MaszynaAEG, Nerwus (scribbly, sketchy), Pascal, SecesjaPL (curly font: a revival of Herman Ihlenburg's ultra-Victorian typeface Nymphic, 1889), Zakret, RecycleIt, Sandwich, Keiser Sousa, Manifest.
Font list (with repetitions): 4Mini, BarmeReczny, Elementarz, Fiesta, GotykPoszarpany, GrubaBerta, Hieroglify, KeiserSousa, Kobajashi, Kwadryga, Magda, Manifest-Niski, Manifest, MaszynaAEG, MiniMasa, MiniSet, MiniSter, Nerwus, Nokian, Nokian2, Opeln2001-Prosty, Opeln2001, Opeln2001Szeroki, Pascal, Passja, Premiership, RecycleIt, Sandwich, SecesjaPL, Szablon, Wabene, Xar, Zakret, MiniForma, MiniStrzalki, Miniline, Minitot, Ulisson, Astalamet (2002), Gosford (2002), Volan (2002), Establo, QuatronFat, Infantyl (2002), Quatron (2002), YnduFat (2002), YnduOut (2002).
URL not accessible to my browser (Mac+Firefox).
This site carried these fonts in May 2008: 4Mini, Afarat-ibn-Blady, Astalamet, AstalametPure, BarmeReczny, Cyree, DorBlue, ElementarzDwa, Erton, Establo, EstabloFat, Fiesta, Gosford, GotykPoszarpany, GrubaBerta, Hieroglify, HongKong (oriental simulation), Infantyl, InfantylFat, InfantylItalic, InfantylOut, Jiczyn, KeiserSousa, Kobajashi, Komix, Kwadryga, Lola, Magda, Manifest-Niski, Manifest, MaszynaAEG, MaszynaRoyalDark, MaszynaRoyalLight, MiniBet, MiniForma2, MiniJasc, MiniKongo, MiniLine2, MiniMasa, MiniQuan, MiniQuanMniejszy, MiniSet2, MiniSter, MiniStrzalki, MiniTot, Nerwus, Nokian, Nokian2, Opeln2001-Prosty, Opeln2001, Opeln2001Szeroki-Metro, Opeln2001Szeroki, Pascal, Paskowy, Passja, Quatron, QuatronFat, RecycleIt, Sandwich, SecesjaPL, Sloneczko, Szablon, Tabun, TechnicznaPomoc-Italic, TechnicznaPomoc, TechnicznaPomocRound, Ulisson, Vaderiii, Volan, Wabene, Xar.
In 2011, he established the commercial foundry GRIN3.
Dafont link. Klingspor link. Fontspace link. GRIN3 link. Old free font URL.
Showcase of Bartek Nowak's commercial fonts. [Google]
[Barmee.com (was: Czcionki.com, or: Barme Fonts)]
Swedish designer born in 1924 in Stockholm. He says of himself: Compositor, Linotype operator, teacher of typography. Type designer in a small matrix factory 1950-51. Calligrapher, book designer, author, lecturer and trade mark specialist. Now retired, but does type design as a hobby and to special orders for museums, ad agencies, companies and even to private persons. His typefaces:
- Art Gallery (Monotype).
- Batory (T4).
- Batoswash (T4).
- Belltrap (1995, ITC).
- Benedict (uncial).
- Beowulf (uncial).
- Berndal (2003, Linotype).
- Boberia (1994, Linotype). A formidable didone text family with an antique bouquet.
- Boscribe (2005, Monotype).
- Bosis (1991, Monotype). A sans.
- Botobe (2011, T4). An informal script.
- Brigida (Monotype).
- Buccardi (1998, Monotype).
- Byngve (2004, Linotype). In the style of 15th century Italy.
- Caballero Script (2011, T4). Inspired by Spanish handwriting from the 15th and 16th centuries.
- Carl Beck Script (1992 Monotype).
- Cartesius (2006, T4). A beautiful 5-style family done at T4 in a mix of garalde and Venetian fashions.
- Linotype Dala (2002, Linotype). A Fraktur, accompanied by Linotype Dala Pics and Linotype Dala Borders.
- Eknaton (T4).
- Esseltube (Monotype).
- Exlibris (1998, ITC).
- Frisans (2005, Monotype).
- Geometra (2011, T4).
- Gertrud (2006, T4). Based on 16th century calligraphy).
- Gianpoggio (1992).
- Golota (1998, Agfa).
- Grafilone (1994, Linotype). An avant-garde family that is almost illegible.
- Grantofte (1995, Monotype).
- Hagalind (2011, T4). A calligraphic connected script. Linotype Hieroglyphes One and Two (2002).
- Jerrywi (1994).
- Johabu (Monotype). A blackletter typeface.
- Lacko (Monotype)
- Lebensjoy (1994, Monotype).
- Logoform (Monotype).
- Magellan (1993, Monotype).
- Maricava (Monotype).
- Mixtra Roman (T4).
- Mixtra Sansserif (T4).
- Mixtra Slabserif (T4).
- Moorbacka (Monotype).
- Naniara (1998).
- Nordik (1992, Monotype). A revival of Genzsch Antiqua or Nordische Antiqua (1906, Genzsch & Heyse).
- Olaus Bandus and Olaus Magnus. Medieval scripts.
- Ornabo dingbats.
- Palekin (1994, Monotype).
- Pelegotic (2006, T4). An art deco inspired but minimalist sans.
- Picadyll (2011, T4). Art deco.
- PocketType (1994).
- Sabellicus (1997, Monotype).
- Sergel (T4).
- Siseriff (2003, Linotype).
- SpaceKid (Monotype). Runes.
- Swing Bill (Monotype).
- Trotzkopf (1998).
- Tyma Garamont (T4).
- Unotype (1997, Monotype). Monospaced.
- Vadstenakursive (1989, Monotype). a blackletter typeface with almost Lombardic-looking capitals.
- Viger Spa (runes).
- Linotype Zurpreis (Linotype).
Pelle Anderson interviews Bo Berndal. Bitstream write-up. Agfa/Monotype write-up. Author of Typiskt typografiskt (Fisher and co, 1990). MyFonts page. Linotype page. MyFonts interview. FontShop link. Klingspor link. View Bo Berndal's typefaces. [Google]
Carima El Behairy
Cofounder of the P22 type foundry (in 1994), and, until 2017, CFO of P22, born in Buffalo in 1967. Designer at P22 of Art Deco Chic, Art Deco Display (2002) and Art Deco Extras (2002, with James Grieshaber and her husband and principal of P22, Richard Kegler). Co-designer (with Richard Kegler and Denis Kegler) of P22 Hieroglyphic.
At ATypI 2004 in Prague, she spoke about the value of a font. Speaker at ATypI 2016 in Warsaw. [Google]
Kevin Pease runs Cerulean Stimuli in Collingswood, NJ. He created the typefaces Cerulean (2003) and Cerulean Black (2005). Check also his pixel family Fourmat (2004) and the very original card game-inspired Pokeresque (2006).
In 2016, he designed the unicase display typeface family Cerulea for Latin, Greek and Cyrillic. In 2017, he published Walklike, its name referring to the song Walk Like an Egyptian and thus to hieroglyphic influences. He ends 2017 with the balloon font family Glazed. [Google]
A shady outfit that published hundreds of fonts in 1994 and 1995 merely by renaming fonts from the major foundries and the shareware circuit. They forgot to change the PostScript names in the truetype fonts, and so we find that Bandy is really BroadbandICGRegular, Digital Display is DigitalICG, Upbeat is JazzPosterICG, Longwood is WainwrightICG, Father is Zirkle, Bitmap is NewGenevaNine, Phantasy Dingbats is Davys Regular, and so forth. You can still buy their CD here (100 truetype fonts for 6USD). To help with this mess, I made a table of equivalences, as culled from the information in the fonts themselves!
Free fonts at Dafont include Bandy, Ghostly and Pharaoh Glyph (hieroglyphic face).
Dafont link. [Google]
Cornell University Africana Library
African writing systems. Charts with hand-drawn glyphs. Covers Amharic (Ethiopia), Ethiopic writing system, Mende (Sierra Leone), Meroitic (hieroglyphic-style writing, Meroe people of Sudan), Egyptian writing system, Nsibidi (Ejagham people of Nigeria), Oromo, Vai (West Africa). [Google]
Dan M. Zadorozny
Designer of wonderful teasing fonts: Alpha Silouettes (three versions), Cherished Teddies. And now, the most exquisite of all erotic fonts, VintageErotique (by Darrian and Itieu), LilGent, DelightfulLilDragons, DarriansSexySilouettes, SexySilouetteStencils, Butterflies by Darrian (dingbat), Hearts by Darrian (dingbat), Equestrian by Darrian (dingbat), EasterGirl, Butterfly Letters, Catstuff (by Glenda Moore and Darrian), Critters by Darrian (dingbat), Lots of Frames (dingbat), DarriansFrames, Buds and Blossoms (dingbat), Dollybat (adult), ElvgrenPin-ups (adult), FloralGarnish, SnowflakeLetters, BatmanandCompany, BeautiesbyBillWard, ButterfliesbyDarrian, ComixCuties, CrittersbyDarrian, CutiesbyCarlos, DarriansFramesTwo, DarriansSexySilhouettes (4 files), Egyptian, FloralGarnish, LatticeLetter, Portrait, Smurf. Since May 2003, the new erotic dingbat fonts (such as Femlin) are no longer free.
Dafont link. Fontspace link. [Google]
David Perez Olarte
During his studies, Logroño, Spain-based David Perez Olarte designed Egyptian (2017, in Colored, Outlined and Background styles) as a modification of Rockwell. Its texture is based on hieroglyphs. [Google]
David Willem Borgdorff
German researcher at Ruhr University Bochum. Creator of the font Minoan Linear A (2004), which has the glyphs for the still undeciphered Minoan language. [Google]
Known as James Dene or James Partington. Malaga, Spain-based designer of the handcrafted typefaces Rune (2018), Calx (2018), Calligraphy Rough (2018), Back to School (2018). In 2019, he published Barleycorn, Atomic, Lost in Space, Centuria (a clean modern sans), Nadir, Geneva, Control, Cosmic, Myrkheim (a Norse or hipster font), Perehilion (a paperclip font), Aphilion (stencil), Equinox (a connect-the-dots typeface), Revolve (hipster style), Ascension, Orion (circle-based), Nova (sci-fi), Voyager (stencil), Black Velvet, Quamir (a hipster sans), Norse Elder Futhark, Interlace (a multiline typeface), Exoplanet, Orson (a serif typeface), Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, Sterling, Queen, Horace, Amos (a fashion mag sans), Allegra (serif), Archibald (slab serif), Cuneiform, the medieval typeface Reznor, the blackletter typefaces Griffin, Edgar and Deimos, Matrix, Egyptian Hieroglyph, Elder Futhark and Detective (a fingerprint texture font).
Typefaces from 2020: Horizon, Barleycorn, Ancient Language Package, Perihelion (a paperclip typeface), Maze, Lost in Space, Quick, Assassin, Constantine, Drastica, Grace, Orson, Alistair, Antoinette, Bernard, Edgar, Lila, Anastasia, Angelica, Annabelle, Black Velvet, Centuria, Jinx (handcrafted). [Google]
Great fonts for astrology, hieroglyphics, alchemy and the occult, by Toronto's Jan and Denise Koehler, mostly designed between 1993 and 1995. They moved to Litomerice and then Teplice, the Czech Republic, recently. MyFonts sells the fantastic Meso Americano dingbats, Hypnotica, AlchemySymbols (two fonts), BlackMagick, Border Twins (2010), CastlesShields, Curly Jane (2010), Cubista Geometrica (2010: op art), DaggersAlphabet, Dendera (ancient Egyptian Zodiac symbols), Dragons, Eggnog (2010), Fontazia Floradot (2012), Fontazia Papilio (2009), Fontazia Pop62 (2011, dingbats of flowers), Fontazia AquaFlorium (2010, fishtank dingbats), Fontazia Mazzo (2010, vases), Fontazia Stiletto (2011), Fontazia Y3K (2009, aliens), the Hieroglyph family (dingbats, really), Jolly Jester (2010, curly hand), MagiWriting, Meandros (2010, a paperclip design inspired by the Greek Key, or Fret, motif), Phaistos, Pocket Wrench (2010, octagonal), Polka Dot Wrench (2010), PowersofMarduk, Praha Deco (2010, inspired by the Prague art deco movement), the RongoRongo family (Easter Island script), SkeletonAlphabet, Sublimina, Superchunk, WhiteMagick, Yenda (2010, bold and angular).
List of font packages: Aglab, Alchemy Symbols, American Sign Alphabet, Ancient Writings Vol. 1, Ancient Writings Vol. 2, Angelica, The Astrologer Bundle, Astrologer, Aztec Day Signs, Black Magick, Braille Alphabet, Castles&Shields, Celestial Writing, Celtic Astrologer, Certar, Chinese Zodiac, Coptic Alphabet, Daggers Alphabet, Dendera, Dinosauria, Dragons, Egyptian Deities, Enochian Writing, Egypt. Hieroglyphics Vol 1, Egypt. Hieroglyphics Vol 2, Egypt. Hieroglyphics Vol 3, Egypt. Hieroglyphics Vol 4, Futhark, Greco, Hebrew Basic, Hypnotica, Magi Writing, Magick&Mystic, Malachim Writing, Masonic Writing, Maya Day Names, Maya Month Glyphs, Meso Americano, Meso Deko, Morse Code, Old Persian Cuneiform, Passing the River, Phaistos, Pike's Alphabets, Powers of Marduk, Sanskrit Writing, Semaphore Code, Signals&Signs, Skeleton Alphabet, Sublimina, Tengwanda Gothic, Tengwanda Namarie, Theban Alphabet, The Egyptologist, Tolkien Scripts, WhiteMagick, Skeleton Alphabet, Hebrew Basic, Sanskrit Writing. Note: I cannot find an entry for Jan Koehler at MyFonts, where all Deniart fonts are said to have been made by Denise Koehler. [Google]
Partner of Jan Koehler in Deniart Systems, which operated from 1993-2009 in Toronto, and then in Litomerice (Czech Republic). Her typefaces include: Skeleton Alphabet, Sanskrit Writing, White Magick Symbols, Theban Alphabet, Tolkien Tengwanda Namarie, Tolkien Tengwanda Gothic, Sublimina, Semaphore, RongoRongo (a system of glyphs discovered in the 19th century on Easter Island), Powers Of Marduk, Phaistos Disk Glyphs, Passing The River, Old Persian Cuneiform (1995), Morse Code, Meso Deko, Maya Month Glyphs, Maya Day Names, Masonic Writing, Malachim Writing, Magi Writing, Hypnotica, Egyptian Hieroglyphics Basic, Egyptian Hieroglyphics - The Egyptologist, Hebrew Basic, Greco (Greek face), Futhark, Enochian Writing, Egyptian Hieroglyphics - Deities, Medieval Dragons, Dinosauria, Egyptian Hieroglyphics - Dendera, Daggers Alphabet, Coptic Alphabet, Chinese Zodiac Symbols, Tolkien Certar, Celtic Astrologer Symbols, Celestial Writing, Castles&Shields, Braille Alpha, Black Magick, Aztec Day Signs, Astrologer Symbols, Angelica, American Sign Alphabet, Alchemy Symbols, Tolkien Aglab, Fontazia AquaFlorium (2010, fish tank dingbats), Snow Crystals (2010, followed by Snow Crystals 2 in 2012), Star Crystals (2010, more snow-like structures but having 8 instead of 6 axes of symmetry), Karika Swirls (2010), Karika Hearts (2010), Karika Encore (2011), Fontazia Chateaux (2011), Fontazia Chateaux Deux (2011), Fontazia Insomnia (2011), 21 Emmerson (2011), 4 Point Greek Fret (2011: labyrinthine), 4 Point Florals (2011), 4 Point Deco (2011), Mykonos (2011, labyrinthine), Harmonics (2011, a zig-zag face), Fontazia Motyl (2011, butterfly dings), Holiday Penguins NF (2011, Christmas dingbats), Fontazia Christmas Tree (2011), Eggs Galoe (2012, Easter egg font), Border Glyphs (2012, hieroglyphic), Fontazia Christmas Baubes (2012), Fontazia Christmas Tree 2 (2013), Karika Hypnotica (2014, hypnotic or kaleidoscopic glyphs), Symcaps Vario X1, Symcaps Vario X2, Symcaps Vario X3 (2016, op-art design). Klingspor link. [Google]
[Dick Pape: Dover Pictorial Series]
Dick Pape: Dover Pictorial Series
The extensive Dover series by Dick Pape contains about 150 typefaces. The typefaces are numbered and carry these names:
- Dover Ancient Egyptian Designs (2009).
- Dover Art Nouveau Motifs (2010), Dover Art Nouveau Frames (2010).
- Dover Chinese Folk Designs (2010).
- Dover Christmas Designs (2012). Based on Christmas Designs (Dover Publications, 1996).
- Dover Cowboy & Western Clips (2010).
- Dover Early American Motifs (2008). Based on Early American Design Motifs by Suzanne E. Chapman (1974, Dover Publications Inc).
- Dover Floral Motifs (2007-2009) and Dover Floral Designs (2010).
- Dover Japanese Art Deco (2010).
- Dover Japanese Crests (2007). Contains a selection of designs from Traditional Japanese Family Crests for Artists and Craftspeople by Isao Honda, published by Dover Publications.
- Dover Old Fashion Silhouettes (2008).
- Dover Old Time Cuts (2010). Based on Old Time Cuts. Flowered Corners, Ornaments and Things (2010, Dover).
- Dover Ornaments (2007). Mostly art nouveau ornaments, all based on 1517 Permission-Free Designs (1995, Dover).
- Dover Pictura - Art Nouveau (2011).
- Dover Publications, Clarence P. Hornung (2010). See elsewhere.
- Dover Quaint Cuts (2011). Based on In The Chap Book Style by Joseph Crawhall (Dover). Crawhall was active in the 1880s.
- Dover Silhouettes (2009).
- Nature Stencil Designs (2010), Dover Stencil Designs (2010). From Nature Stencil Designs. Animals, birds, flowers (Dover) and Stencil Designs. Flowers, Fish, Fairy Tales, Armadillos, & Other Animals (Dover).
- Dover Victorian Designs (2010). Based on Victorian Designs (Dover).
Download here. [Google]
Dr. Shirley J. Rollinson
At Shirley J. Rollinson's site in Portales, New Mexico, an archive with Greek, Coptic, Hebrew and dingbat fonts. A sampling: AWI105 (Amien World International), Alex, Altrussisch, AltrussischBold, AltrussischBoldItalic, AltrussischItalic, American-PresidentsSAMPLE, AngloSaxonRunes, AngloSaxonRunes1, AngloSaxonRunes2, Animals, Animals2, AntoniousJJencom, AntoniousJJencomHollow, AntoniousJJencomThin, AntoniousJJencomWide, AntoniousNormal, AntoniousNormalHollow, AntoniousNormalThin, AntoniousNormalWide, AntoniousOLOverLine, AntoniousOLOverLineHollow, AntoniousOLOverLineThin, AntoniousOLOverLineWide, Athenian, Athletes, BSTGreek, BSTHebrew, Basics, CU_SYMBL, CarrAnimalDingbats, CarrArrowsfilled, CarrArrowsoutline, CarrDingbats2, CarrDings, CelticPatterns, ChayaBold, ChemCycles, ChristianCrosses, ClassifiedDingbats, CommonBulletsNormal, Coptic-Regular, Coptic-Regular, CopticNormal, Dastafarin-Regular, Dingbat-Cats2, DivChem, DwarfRunes, DwarfRunes1, DwarfRunes2, Eggs, FOOD, Fabeldyr-2, Flower-Show, FontForFree, Futura-Thin, Futura-ThinItalic, GermanicRunes, GermanicRunes1, GermanicRunes2, GideonMedium, Grammata, Greek-Regular, Greek-Regular, Greek, GreekOldFace, GreekOldFaceC, HWGreek, Hebpar, Hebrew-Italic, Hebrew-Regular, Inter, Ismini, KirillicaWincyr, Kitchentile, KoineMedium, Koptos-Regular, Korinthus-Italic, Korinthus, Kur2siv-Italic, Lashon-Tov, Lavra-Plain, Linear-B, LudlowDingbats, MENA-1, Martin-Vogel's-Symbols, Medicine, MendelSiddurBold, MendelSiddurMW-Bold, Milan-Greek, MonitorNormal, New-Dingcats, Noam-New-Hebrew, NovaNormal, Novgorod-Plain, Ornaments, Paleo-Hebrew-NormalA, PecanSoncHebrew, Pni2na, Pointers, QuiltersDelight, RK-Meroitic-(Demotic), RK-Meroitic-(Hieroglyphics), RK-Meroitic-Transscript, RK-Persian-Cuneiform, RK-Sanskrit, RK-Ugaritic-Transscript, RK-Ugaritic, Rashi, Roman-Catholic, RuthFancy, SILDoulosIPA, SILGalatia, SILGalatiaBold, SILGalatiaExtras, SILGalatiaExtrasBold, SILManuscriptIPA, SILSophiaIPA, SPAchmim, SPDamascus, SPDoric, SPEdessa, SPEzra, SPIonic, SPTiberian, Sgreek-Fixed, Sgreek-Medium, ShalomOldStyle, ShalomOldStyle, ShalomScript, ShalomStick, ShebrewMedium, States, Statuer, Symbol-Accentuated, SymbolMW-Bold, SymbolMW-BoldItalic, SymbolMW-Italic, SymbolMW-Normal, TLHelpCyrillic, TattooNo1, TattooNo2, TimesNewRomanNavajo, TimesNewRomanNavajoBold, TimesNewRomanNavajoBoldItalic, TimesNewRomanNavajoItalic, TorahSofer, TransliterationItalic, Tzipporah, Ugarit, VintageDingbats, WarnSymbols1, WarnSymbols2, WarnSymbols3, WarnSymbols4, WarnSymbols5, YourKeys, ZapfDingbats, button_by_fanta, fantas-second, hebrew, persische-Keilschrift. [Google]
Hieroglyphic font archive at TypOasis. [Google]
Hieroglyphic font links. In fact, most of the links are to the fonts by Reinhold Kainhofer. [Google]
Egyptian Software Tools
Jump site for hieroglyphic fonts. [Google]
Hieroglyph font archive: Egypt0, GlyphBasic1, GlyphBasic2, GlyphBasic3, GlyphBasic4, Glyphics, Hieroglify, KingTut1, KingTut2, Meroitic---Hieroglyphics, Nahkt, Neferchichi, NEFERCHICHIDINGBATS, NEFERCHICHIGODS, NEFERCHICHIHIEROGLYPHS (the latter four fonts are by Kevin Fleury, 2001), Nahkt. [Google]
Hieroglyphic metafont and related files. Alternate URL. Yet another URL. [Google]
El Circulo de Oro de Uresh-Nefer
[Antonio Hernández Marín]
Defunct hieroglyphics page by Antonio Hernández Marín. It had some downloadable fonts, including Trophos (Greek font by Carlos F. Gilardoni, 1994), Antonious (Greek, by Wisam Michael), Coptic, and TransliterationItalic (Egyptian transliteration font from Utrecht University). Old URL. [Google]
[Ferdinand Theinhardt Schriftgiesserei Berlin]
Ferdinand Theinhardt Schriftgiesserei Berlin
Berlin-based foundry from the 19th century, whose typefaces included Aldeutsch (aka Psalterium, or as Mainzer Gotisch, 1851) and Monumental (1863: roman caps). Ferdinand Theinhardt (b. Halle, 1820, d. Berlin, 1909) ran it.
Around 1880, he published four weights of a Royal Grotesk (in 4 styles) for the Prussian Academy of Sciences in Berlin (Königlich-Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin; see, e.g., here or here; here is a sample of his 1895 Breite Grotesk). In 1885 he sold his own type foundry---Ferd. Theinhardt Schriftgiesserei Berlin---to Brothers Mosig and Oskar Mommen. In 1908, Berthold AG bought that foundry, and published the Royal fonts under the new name Akzidenz Grotesk. Theinhardt's Royal Grotesk became internationally known as Berthold's Akzidenz Grotesk, which some call the godmother of all modern grotesque typefaces. [Note: Akzidenz Grotesk is often given the 1898 date.]
Theinhardt was also known as a specialist in cutting hieroglyphs. Author with R. Lepsius of Liste de Hieroglyphischen Typen aus der Schriftgiesserei F. Theinhardt (1875, G. Vogt, Buchdrückerei der Königl. Akademie der Wissenschaften, Berlin). It lists hieroglyphic symbols available from Theinhardt's foundry.
Royal Grotesk was digitally released by Berthold Types (an American company with no legal connection with the original H. Berthold) in 2009.
Typedia link from which I quote: Akzidenz (sic) Grotesk was released by Berthold in Berlin in 1898, according to their own literature. It was obviously based on typefaces already offered by other foundries, some of which were later taken over by Berthold. One of the contemporaries of AG was Royal Grotesk from Theinhardt. In Berthold's specimen booklet no. 429, which was most likely released in 1954, Akzidenz Grotesk Mager (light) was still referred to as Royal Grotesk, in brackets. Berthold acquired a typeface in 1908, (when they bought Ferd.Theinhardt) which they released as Akzidenz Grotesk Halbfett (medium). They kept adding weights, some of them from other typefaces, acquired from other foundries. Every foundry had a version of that type of face, more often than not available in a few sizes only. The original series remained quite divers, individual weights showing not much resemblance but in name. It was mainly a marketing and naming success. That only changed when they cut Series 57, and then Series 58, named for the years of release. These had some sizes (but not all) recut under the direction of Günter Gerhard Lange, who was their (freelance) artistic director at the time. GG Lange always claimed that Berthold had taken some AG weights and sizes from Popplbaum in Vienna, and that is supposed to account for the release date of 1896 or 1898. Popplbaum was not bought by Berthold until 1926. Berthold did take different fonts from all the foundries they bought (and obviously also made deal without buying a foundry) and rename them until they got a family together which still showed the original influences, sometimes even from size to size. The deals between foundries (by 1924 Berthold had bought 17 foundries, in Prague, Riga, Stuttgart, Leipzig, Moscow and St. Petersburg) have never been fully researched, and neither has the complete history of Akzidenz Grotesk been written yet.
Digitizations include AltDeutsch by Gerhard Helzel. The Theinhardt family (2010, Francois Rappo, Optimo) is named after Theinhardt.
Credit for some images below: Danielle West. [Google]
Michel Bujardet (a Frenchman living in West Hollywood, CA) runs Matchfonts, and started Fontmenu.com in August 2001. Commercial fonts, and free demos in all formats.
A partial list of fonts:
- Square Text (old English).
- Block Letters (orthography for kids), Skryptaag (2001, educational).
- Boulons (letters made from nuts and bolts).
- Kindergarten (funny typefaces), Learning Handwriting (K2), Learning Cursive Handwriting (Grade 2-4), Japanese Hiragana-Katakana (Year 1).
- Morse code.
- Dictionary phonetic notation for pronunciation.
- The calligraphic fonts Chancellerie Moderne (1998, chancery hand), Oncial, Rodolphe, Willegha.
- The dingbat fonts Dinosotype, Matched Potato, Nahkt hieroglyphs, SilBooettes, Angelots, Sceaux, Seraphiques, Talismans.
- The monospaced fonts Bordofixed, Dactylographe (1997), Normafixed, Oloron fixed width screen font).
- The mathy fonts Oloron program, Hexalist and Numberslist.
- The handwriting fonts Charlotte, Louise, Mariette, Milko, Pierre, Quinze, Raoul, and Thibault.
- The pixel font 8-PinMatrix.
- The Bauhaus font BabyFace.
- The Chinese simulation font Chinoiseries.
- The LED fonts Diode, Cristolikid and Display.
- The Greek simulation font Grecques.
- The display fonts Zébrures (striped letters), Venitiennes, Ruban Dis-Moi, Parador, Osselets, Octogone, Metropolitain (art nouveau), Malabars, Halloween Match, Coulures, Chapou Relief, Candy Kane, Calebasse, Bujardet Freres and Big Bacon.
- The MICR font MICR E13B.
- The serif typefaces Baguad, Chap Clerk, Parlante, Presse, TSF&Co (art deco; +Heavy).
- The sans serif typefaces Bordini, Boum-Boum, Halotique (a sans family), Junien, and Normographe.
Alternate URL for his shareware typefaces. MyFonts link for his commercial typefaces. Alternate MyFonts link. Fontspace link. Dafont link. [Google]
Forgotten Scripts by Dino Manzella
Dino Manzella's draft on a book entitled Forgotten Scripts: a Book of Runes. Fantastic pages in all respects! Many fonts can be downloaded. Includes Academiury-ITV (Georgian, by Alexander&Temuri Imnaishvili), Rashi, Alex and ChayaBold (by Aaron Schmiedel), Angelic and Enochian (by Digital Type Foundry), several rune fonts by Dan Smith, Beth-Luis-Fearn and Beth-Luis-Nion (by Curtis Clark), Cherokee (by Joseph LoCicero), Moonrune (Morton Bek, 1995), Eshmoon (by Salim G. Khalaf, Family Health International), Glagoljica UGL and Glagoljica OBL (old Croatian; by Zox), RK Meroitic, RK Sanskrit, RK Ugaritic, Mendel Siddur, Nug-Soth (by Daniel U. Thibault), Tzipporah and RuthFancy (by AFS Ltd), and RNIB Braille. [Google]
Frank K. Lüdicke
German type designer Frank K. Lüdicke designed Ramses, letters in the shape of hieroglyphs. He studied with Karlgeorg Hoefer (who would write with anything) and with Kurt Wolff (in Düsseldorf), and later learned Japanese calligraphic art. Ramses is now available from Elsner&Flake. At URW++, he designed the commercial dingbat font FunnyNature (1999) and the handwriting fonts Yoriko (2019: oriental brush emulation), Liaison (2015), FontForum Katie (2008) and Lüdickital (2002).
Klingspor link. FontShop link. [Google]
Gardiner's sign list
Jim Loy shows Gardiner's complete hieroglyphic sign list. [Google]
[Unicode Fonts for Ancient Scripts]
Graham David Blakelock
[Graham David Blakelock]
Ilkley, UK-based foundry of Graham David Blakelock (b. 1947, York, England). MyFonts sells his fonts. These include typefaces used in role playing games, often with a medieval look, all published in 2005: Fifteen36 (Venetian with rough edges), Fourteen64 (Venetian with rough edges), High German (blackletter), ItalicHand (inspired by 11th or 12th century Carolingian hand-drawn cursive), Old Russian (fake Cyrillic), Ye-As-Ta (rotated brush style caps), Good Taste (2006), Hieroglyph Informal (2006), Kanjur (2006, Indic simulation face), Mayan (2006, dingbats and Mayan-looking letters), Pepper (2006), Salt (2006).
View Graham David Blakelock's typefaces. [Google]
Hans van den Berg
From Encyclopaedia Britannica: Ancient Egyptian cursive writing, used from the 1st dynasty (c. 2925-c. 2775 BC) until about 200 BC. Derived from the earlier, pictorial hieroglyphic writing used in carved or painted inscriptions, hieratic script was generally written in ink with a reed pen on papyrus; its cursive form was more suited to such a medium than were the formal hieroglyphs. It was originally written vertically. [Google]
Translates any word or name in hieroglyphs. [Google]
Hieroglyph pages, with some free fonts, as well as Christian Wrana's list of hieroglyphs. Pages by Sebastian Niedlich. [Google]
[Hans van den Berg]
This site was active from ca. 1990-2010. It said: The Centre for Computer-aided Egyptological Research (CCER) at Utrecht University in The Netherlands specializes in matters related to the application of computers in Egyptology. At CCER, find the 200 USD Extended Library, a hieroglyphic computer font of more than 4700 signs for use with both hieroglyphic text processing programmes Glyph for Windows and MacScribe. Type 1 (PC, Mac) or TrueType (PC). The book Hieroglyphica covers ober 6900 glyphs, all shown on the web page.
In 2012, CCER closed. Professor Dirk van den Plas writes: Dear colleagues and friends of the CCER. The team of the Centre of Computer-aided Egyptological Research (CCER, Utrecht University) has developed pioneering and useful computing tools and international projects for Egyptological research since 1990 (among other things Manual de Codage, Multilingual Egyptological Thesaurus, Glyph for Windows & Extended Library, Coffin Texts Word Index, Egyptian Treasures in Europe, Global Egyptian Museum). The CCER was the driving force of the group Informatique & Egyptologie and the Horssen Meetings. CCER inspired Egyptological scholars, students and institutions to make use of these upcoming new ICT tools and helped them to implement them. Now 20 years after the founding of CCER it is time to accept that CCER has become part of history and that the well-known CCER site must switch to another life and a new concept. Some years ago it appeared that there was no future for CCER in the Netherlands. Besides its director retired. Therefore I have decided to stop finally also the shop of the site www.ccer.nl by the end of 2010. I'll transmit by then the site and all rights to my former assistant Hans van den Berg. He was my gifted and much appreciated during many years. He would like to use this site to record the history of Computing & Egyptology. He will continue and maintain some useful tools for Egyptology on this site as well. I would like to thank all colleagues, assistants and friends for the collaboration and confidence during those pioneering years, Dirk van der Plas
Old URL. [Google]
Hieroglyphic and Arabic font links. [Google]
Hieroglyphische und andere Links
Links page for anything related to Egyptology and hieroglyphs, including fonts. [Google]
A web guide to hieroglyphs by Tim Spalding. Has some hieroglyph font links. [Google]
House of Lime
Defunct type foundry that had free original dingbats, alphadings and fonts, mostly from scanned art by Merethe Liljedahl (House of Lime) in Landskrona, Sweden.
The font list: Abstract, Africa, African Design, African Eggs, AfricanPattern, AlphaRemember, AlphaSausage, AlphaThin, AmishQuilts, AngelsFairies, Angelsaroundtheworld, AngloText, Animal, AnimalDesign, AntiqueStuff, AntiqueStuffII, AroundSports, Aroundthehouse, ArtDecoMotif, ArtNouveauBild, ArtNouveauBlume, ArtNouveauFlowers, ArtNouveauFramesandBorders, ArtNouveauInitials (2001), ArtNouveauInitialsA, ArtNouveauInitialsB, ArtNouveauInitialsC, AsianArt, AsianArtII, BOO, BabyTime, BackToSchool (2000, pencil-themed face), Bagsandstuff, BagsandstuffII, Balloons, Baseball, Big Lou (2003, art deco), BirdStencilDesign, BirdStencilDesignII, Birdies, Bzzy (2004, alphadings), Books, Butterflies, Buttons (2006), Calender, CamelotCaps (2000), CarstensOwls, Cats, CelticElements, CelticElementsII, CelticMotif, Celtics, Cherub, CheshireInitials (2001), Chiseled (2006), ChristmasTime, ChristmasWreath, ChubbyDotty, ChubbyTrail, Cornerflair (2002), CrayolaKiddyFont, Curly Fleur Caps, DBLCeltic, DBLCorners, DBLFacesfromthepast, DBLFlowerDelight, DBLMedievalDesign, DancerInTheDark, DancerInTheDarkII, DancerInTheDarkIII, DecorativeOrnamental, Decorette, Decorina (2001), DesignMotif, DesignerCorners, DesignerCorners, DesignerDing, DesignerDividers, DesignerFrames, DesignerFramesTwo, DesignerMix, DesignerMixII, DesignerMixed, DesignerMotifs, DesignerMotifsThree, DesignerMotifsTwo, DesignerPlus, DesignerStuff, Dividers, DividersTwo, DoggyBag, DogsandCats, Dolphins, Dot Trail (2002), DoverChineseMotifDesign, DoverFloral, DoverFloralandDesignII, DoverJapaneseDesign, Dragons, Durbin Initials (2009), EasterBunny, EasterHoppy, EasterTime, EatingOut, Egypt, ElectionTime (2000), Elegance, EvelynsHeart, EvsDragons, ExtraOrnamentalNo2, FaceofaLady, Faces2Faces, FacesOfTheCentury, Faith, Fans, Fashion, FashionLadies, FleurCornerCaps (2000), FloralDesign, FloralStencilDesign, FloridVictorianOrnament, FlowerandFairyAlphabet, Folklore, FolkloreII, Fontanesi, Framed, Frames, FramesAndBorders, FramesAndBordersII, FramesAndBordersIII, FramesandBackgrounds, FramesandHeaders, Fromthegarden, Fruityandveggie, Furballs, GailsUnicorn, GardenTime, Geisha, Genzsch Initials, GermanCaps, GothicCornerCaps, GothicFlourish, GrafikText, GuinevereCaps, HalloweenKiddyFont, Hats, HatsII, HatsIII, HatsIV, HatsV, HeartsofLime, Heraldics, Horses, Houses, HousesII, Howling, Iconettes, Inmygarden, Inyourgarden, Itsserved, Jars, JustFrames, KarensKitties, KeyasTurtles, KiddyDing, KiddyFlakey (2002), KiddyFrames, KiddyHalloween, KiddyToys, KidsAlphabet, KittytheCat, Ladiesofthe20s, Leaves, LimeBlossomCaps (1999), LimeGloryCaps (2000), LisasDragons, LittleHeroes, LizsGibsonGirls, LovePoision, Maskes, MedievalAlphabet (2000), MedievalMotif, MedievalMotifTwo, MexicanMotif, MirrorImage, MosaicCaps (2000), Motif, Mousie (2000, alphadings), MoyrasParrots, Music For Your Ears (2006), MutansII, Mutants, Mythical, NavyBlues (2000, white on black buttons), OldFashionedIllus, OldFloralIllustration, OldFolksShuffle (2000), Onthefarm, OrientalDesign, OrientalIcons, OrientalIconsII, OrientalIconsIII, OrientalIconsIV, OrientalView, OrnamentalCorners, OrnamentalDecoration, OrnamentalDecorationII, OrnamentalElements, OrnamentalElementsII, OrnamentalFramesI, OrnamentalInitialsA, OrnamentalInitialsB, OrnamentalInitialsC, OrnamentalInitialsD, OrnamentalInitialsE, OrnamentalInitialsF, OrnamentalInitialsG, OrnamentalInitialsH, OrnamentalInitialsI, OrnamentalInitialsJ, OrnamentalInitialsK, OrnamentalInitialsL, OrnamentalInitialsM, OrnamentalInitialsN, OrnamentalInitialsO, OrnamentalInitialsP, OrnamentalInitialsQ, OrnamentalInitialsR, OrnamentalInitialsS, OrnamentalInitialsT, OrnamentalInitialsU, OrnamentalInitialsV, OrnamentalInitialsW, OrnamentalInitialsX, OrnamentalInitialsY, OrnamentalInitialsZ, OutOfAfrica (2000), Paisley, Paisley Caps, PaisleyII, Party (2004, Mexican simulation face), Pentagon (2003, Western face), PhilliBoo, PokemonKiddyDing, Retro Elite (2003, art deco), RibbonCaps, Rose, Rosegarden, Scary, Scary House, Scrapper's Arrows, ScrappersCorner, ScrappersElements, ScrappersElementsII, ScrappersElementsIII, ScrappersElementsIV, ScrappersElementsV, ScrappersKeys, ScrappersStencil, ScrappingDoodles, Scream, Sealife, September11, Shaking Salsa, Ships, SimplyFriends, Skeleton, Smelly, SomeoneSpecial, Spiders (2001), SplatterCaps, Spooky, Sporty (2004), Spring (2003, Victorian ornamental typeface), Square Frame (2006), Stamped Flowers, Starlite, Stars, Stencil, StripesCaps (2000), SugarFootStrut, Sun and Moon, Sunflowers, Sunny Days (2004), SunshineKiddyFont, Tattoo, TheGoddess, ThePerfectMan, ThemeCorners, TiffanyCorners, TiffanyCornersII, TiffanyCornersIII, Tiles, Tools, TraditionalFloralDesign, TraditionalFloralDesignII, TraditionalFloralDesignIII, Trapeze (2004), TreasuryofDesign, Treesandleaves, Tulips, TylersPokemon (2000), UncasWomen, Valentine, VictorianWindow, Wedding, Wildflower, WildflowerII, WildflowerIII, WildflowerIV, YesterdaysBeauty, YourSign, Yummi, Zodiac.
Designer Menues (commercial dings, 2001). In 2006, these commercial dings: Scrapping Corners, Scrappers Fills. Direct access to the dingbats. Direct access to fonts.
Fontspace link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
[Dan M. Zadorozny]
Born in Philadelphia and a resident of McKinney, Texas, Dan Zadorozny's creations at Iconian. He is a prolific type designer who specializes in techno and sci-fi typefaces. Dafont link. Fontsy link. Abstract Fonts link. Font Squirrel link. His fonts in alphabetical order:
- #44 font (2002), 00Starmap (2001, pixel font), 1968 Odyssey (2016), 1st Cav (2008), 1st Enterprises (2017), 2-Tech, 21 Gun Salute (2013), 2nd Amendment (2007, guns), 2nd Amendment 2050 (2009, more gun silhouettes), 2Toon, 300 Trojans (2008, comic book family), 4114 Blaster (2008, futuristic), 5th Agent (2008, techno), 7th Service (2002), 8th Element (2013), 911Porscha, 98 Bottles of Beer (2016).
- Achilles, Action-Men (2008), Action Women (2008, female outlines), Aegis (2010, Greek simulation family), Aetherfox (2013), AirCobra (2002), Aircruiser (2011, trekkie family), AirForce (planes and copters), Airstrike (2013), Airstrip One (2003), Aldo's Moon, Aldo's Nova, Alexis (2001), Alien League, Alpha Century (2020), Alpha Men (2015), Alpha Sentry, Alpha Taurus (2007, octagonal, athletic lettering), Amalgam, American Kestrel (2019), Americorps (2012), Ampire (2019), Anakefka (2009, ultra-fat family), Annapolis (2016), Antietam (2015), Antikythera (2013, Greek simulation face), Antilles (2009, sans family), Arctic Guardian (2019), Argosy, Arilon (2008), Armed Lightning (2017), Army Rangers (2013, octagonal), Assassin Nation (2015, scary and perhaps referring to the "tradition" of school shootings in the USA), Astro Armada (2020: sci-fi), Astropolis (2009), Atlantia (2012, futuristic), Avenger (2008, futuristic).
- Babes&Bond (2009, erotic silhouettes), Babe-alicious (2002, erotic outlines), Bad Axe (2017), Bad Robot (2007, computer game look), Bal-Astaral (2016, octagonal), Bamf (2011, techno family), Banjin (2016), Banshee Pilot (2016), Barcade (2018), Battlefield, Battleworld (2016), Beam Rider, Beam Weapon (2015), Beastian (2011), Behemoth (2018), Ben Zion (2008, Hebrew simulation), Berserker (2008, grunge), Beta Biergärten (2008), Big Blue Bug (2021), Bio-disc, Bio-discSolid, Bio-discThin, Bionic Comic (2002), Bionic Type (2002), Birds of a Feather (2007, dingbats), Black Bishop (2015), Black Gunk (2016), Blade Singer (2021), Blizzard Shaft (2020), Block, Blood Crow (2009), Blood Drenched (2020), Bloodlust (2011, dripping blood face), Blue Cobra (2020), Blue July (2009), Body Swipers (2014, Halloween font), Bog Beast (2013), Bomber Escort (2020), Boomstick (2015), Borgsquad (2014, mechanical/octagonal), Bretton (2018), Brin Athyn (2008, uncial/Celtric), Broken Cyborg (2019), Bronic (2004), Bubble Butt (2014, bubblegum typeface), Buchanan (2016), Buddy Champion (2015), Bummer (2007, octagonal), Bushido (2008, oriental simulation), Butch and Sundance (2013), Buttons the Bear (2008, children's hand), Byte Police.
- Camp Justice (2018), Capella (2011, a wide techno family), Capricus (2018), Captain Canaveral (2019), Carnival Corpse (2016), CasperComics, Centaurus (2015), Chardin Doihle (2008), a useful informal handprinting family), Charlemagne, Charlie's Angles (2018: octagonal), Charmling (2019), Cheyenne Hand (2008), Chicago Express (2016), Christendom, Classic Cobra (2016), Clubber Lang (2013, grungy), Cobalt Alien (2015), C.O.D.E.R. (2012), Coffin Stone (2019: a stone age font), College Collage (2017), Colony Marines (2017), Colossus (2011, old chipped stone look), Combat Droid (2019), ComicBookCommando, ComicFX, Commonwealth, Concielian, Concielian Break (2015), Concielian Classic (2018), Concielien Jet (2015), Contour of Duty (2016), Corinthian, Count Suckula (2015, horror font), Covert Ops (2012, army stencil), Coyote Deco (2007, art deco), Crappity-Crap-Crap (2007), Crazy Ivan (2017: constructivist), Creepy Crawlers (2015, horror font), Crime Syndicate (2013), Crixus (2011, a squarish sans that includes an athletic lettering style), Cro-Magnum (2003), Cruiser Fortress (2016), CryUncial, Cyberdyne (2016), Cyberia (like Soviet: neat Russian imitation letters), Cyborg Rooster (2015), Cydonia Century (2017), Cyrus The Virus (2012, grungy, hand-printed).
- DS Man, Daedalus (2008), Daemonicus (2012), Dagger Dancer (2020), Dameron (2016), Dangerbot (2016), Danger Flight (2015), Dan Stargate (2008), Dan'sHand, Dark Alliance (2014), Dark Dominion (2019), Dark Hornet (2020: a great blocky mechanical typeface family), Dark Horse (nice brush font), Darklighter (2018), Darkwind, Dassault (2013), Deathblood (2014, Halloween font), Deathshead (2019: a metal band font), Deceptibots (2019: stencil), Defcon Zero (2016), Dekaranger (2015), Delta Phoenix (2019), Delta Ray, Demon Priest (2013), Department-K, DepartmentH, Deranian (2008), Devil's Tongue (2019), Detonator, Devil Summoner (2014), DiegoCon (2004), Digital Desolation (2014), Ding-o-saurs (2007), Direktor (2008, Cyrillic simulation techno), Dire Wolf (2013), Disco-Dork, Disco Deck (2005), Disco Duck, Discotechia (2015), Dodger, Dokter Monstro (2017: a great fat hand-painted typeface), Domino Jack (2016, an octagonal stencil typeface), Domino Mask Condensed (2016), Dotcom (2002), Drafting Board (2008), Drafting Table (2008), Dragon Order (oriental simulation), Dread Ringer (2015), Drid Herder (2002), Drive (2015, techno font), Droid-Lover (2008), Drone Tracker (2016), Drosselmeyer (my favorite), Dusk Demon (2020: grungy).
- Eagleclaw (2009), Eaglemania, Eagle Strike (2015), Early Warning (2021), Earth Orbiter (2016), Earthrealm (2013), Earthshake (2013), Earth's Mightiest (2002), East West (2015, constructivist), Echo Station (2017), Eco-files, Edge Racer (2917), Egg Roll (2016, oriental simulation), Elastic Lad (2020), Eldebaran (2012), Elder Magic (2009), Election Day (2009), Elephant Gun (2021), Elite Danger (2017), Emissary (2014, sci-fi), Empire Crown (2011, blackletter), Enduro, Ensign Flandry, Ephesian (2007), Eridanus (2015, octagonal / mechanical), Erin Go Bragh (2009, Celtic/uncial), Escape Artist (2015), Eskindar (2013), Eternal Knight (2013), Eurofighter (2015), Eva Fangoria (2018: a dripping blood font), EverettSteele'sHand, Excelerate, Excelsior, Excelsior Comics, Exedore (2008), Exoplanet (2013, techno), Extechchop (2005), Eyes Only (2018).
- Factor (2016), Falconhead, Falcon Punch (2015), Famous Spaceships (2007), Famous Spaceships 2 (2019), Fanfare Ticket (2018: dot matrix family), FantasticCreatures, Fantazian (2003), Fantom (2009, bad handwriting), Federal Blue (2019), Federal Escort (2014), Federal Service (2011), Federapolis (2008, octagonal techno face), Fedyral (2019), Fedyral-II (2019), Feldercarb (2003, octagonal font), Ferret Face (2013), Fiddler's Cove (2012), Fight Kid (2009), Final Front (2019), First Order (2001), Flash Rogers (2016), Flesh Eating Comic (2013, grunge), Flight Corps (2008, techno/pixelish), FlyingLetaherneck (2002), Force Commander (2019), Force Majeure (2016), Foreign Alien (2020), Foucault (2014, uncial), Fox on the Run (2018), Fox on the Run Academy (2018: athletic lettering), Frank-n-Plank (2013, a wooden plank font), Freakfinder (2014: Halloween font), Free-Agent (2008), Freedom Fighter (2013, stencil), From Bond With Love (2014: military stencil), Front Runner (2019), Frost Giant (2019), Frozen Crystal (2016, LED font), Funk Machine (2016, a great ultra-black techno family of typefaces), FunnyPages, Furiosa (2019), Future Forces (2015), Futurex Grunge (2005).
- Galactic Storm (2014), Galant, Galaxy-1 (2008), Galaxy Far Far Away (2009, futuristic dingbat font), Galaxy Force (2014), Galga (2008, futuristic), Gamma Sentry, Gemina (2011, sci-fi / techno family), Gemina2 (2013), Generation Nth, Gentleman Caller (2014), GeoBats (2007), Gearhead (2013, octagonal), Ghost Clan (2014), GI Incognito (2012), Global Dynamics (2014), Globe Trekker (2021), Goalie (2008, hockey mask alphading), Goblin Creek (2016: Halloween font), Gods of War, Gotharctica (2015, blackletter for horror flicks), Governor (2017), Graffiti Street (2019), Grand National (2015), Grand Sport (2015), Graymalkin (2011, trekky), Grease Gun (2012), Grendel's Mother, Grim Ghost (2013), Ghoulish Intent (2016: Halloween font), Grimlord (2009), Groovy Smoothie (2018), Guardian (2008), Guardian-Laser (2008), Guardian-Pro (2008), Guardian-Shadow (2008), Gunner Storm (2015), Gunrunner (2016: techno), Gunship, Gunship V2 (2002), Gypsy Killer (2013), Gyrfalcon.
- Hadriatic (2008, roman lettering), Half Elven (2013), Halfshell Hero (2013), Hall of Heroes (2007), Halo, Hanging Tree (2019: a wood print emulation font), Han Solo (2013), Hard Science (2019), Harrier (2002), Hawkmoon (2011), Head Human (2021), Heavy Copper (2020), Heavy Falcon (2019), Hello Copters (2013: helicopter dingbats), Hemogoblin (2017: spooky font), Heorot (2009, stone age fonts), Hermetic Spellbook (2017: alchemic), Heroes Assemble (2011), Heroes Assemble Dingbats (2014: all Avenger characters), Hero Worship (2021), Hexgon (2018), Hexkey (2020), Highrise Heaven (2007, city skyline dingbats), Hip Pocket (2014: psychedelic), Hitchblock (2017), Hollow Point (2015), Holly Dingle (2015), Holy Empire, Home Base (2020), Homemade-Robot, Holo Jacket (2016), Homebase (2020: heavy, octagonal), Homelander (2020), Homeworld (2003), Homeworld Translator (2003), Hong Kong Hustle (2015), Horroroid (2015), Horroween (2013, Halloween font), Hot Kiss (2017: paint splatter font), Howlin Mad (2017), Hula Hoop Girl (2019), Hulkbusters, Hydronaut (2019), Hydro Squad (2014), Hyper Vyper (2019: octagonal), Hypno Agent.
- Iapetus (2014, sci-fi), Icebox Art (2012), iChrono (2018), IWantMyTTR!, Iconian (2002), Iconified, iDroid (2020), Illuminati, Illumino (2016), Imaginary Forces (2008, mythical dingbats), Imperial Code (2003, Startrek style face), Imperium, Incubus, Incubus-Italic (2008), Incubus-Shadow (2008), Indigo Demon (2017), Infinity Formula (2003, super techno), Infobubble, Inhumanity (2014), I-House Edition (2014), Inspector General (2020), Instand Zen (2016: Halloween font), Inter Bureau (2019), Interceptor (2008), Interdiction (2012), Intergalactic (2017), International Super Hero (2002), Intrepid, Iron-Cobra (2008), Iron Forge (2012).
- Jack's Candlestick (2013), Jackson, Jannisaries, Jedi Special Forces (2012), Jeebra (2018), Jerusalem (1999, Hebrew font simulation)[see also here], Jetta, JettaTech, Jetway (2012, a stencil face), Johnny Torch (2012), Joy Shark (2018), Judge, Judge Hard, Jugger Rock (2018), Justice (2009), Jumpers (2017), Jumptroops (2003-2015), Justinian.
- Kahless, KameraDings (2009), Kangaroo Court (2018), KarateChop (2009), Kartoons (2008), Katana, Kaylon (2019), Kennebunkport (2013, script), Keystone (pixel font), Khazad-Dum (2011), Kid Cobalt (2008, comic book face), Kinex, King Commando (2011), King's Ransom, Kinnihuman (2020: dingbats), Knievel, KnightsTemplar, Kittrick (2019: a heavy octagonal type), Knock Furious (2003, dingbats), Kobold (2008, futuristic), Kondor (2013), Kountry Kodes (2008, international license plate lettering), Kovacs (2018), Kovacs-Spot (2016), Kreature Kombat (2018), Kreeture (2002), Kubrick (2008).
- Lamprey (2012, techno family), LandShark (2001), LandWhale (2001), Laredo Trail (2013, a Western face), Laser Corps (2020), Laserian, Laser Wolf (2018), Law and Order (2005, dingbats), League Wars (2013, sci-fi stencil), Leatherface (2013), LED Sled (2016, LED font), Left-Hand Luke (2016), Legacy Cyborg (2019), LegalTender, Legion, Legionnaires (2017: silhouettes), Legio Sabina (2017), Lethal (2014), Liberty Island (2013, sci-fi), Liberty Legion (2015), Lifeforce (2018), Light Brigade (2018), Lightsider (2011, Star Trekkish family), Lincoln Lode, Livewired (2015, sci-fi), Lionel (2009), Low Gun Screen (2008, a totally square screen type family), Lincoln Chain, Lionheart, Lobo-Tommy (2008), Lord of the Sith, Loveladies, Low Gun Screen (2008, screen face), Lux Contra Tenebras (2018: a fat Textura typeface).
- Machiavelli, Mad Marker, Magic Beans (2007), Major Force (2016), Mandalore (2019: squarish), Marathon-II, Marathon, Marsh Thing (2014, Halloween font), Masked Marvel (2002), Master Breaker (2017), Masterdom (2004), Merri Christina (2015, children's hand), Metal Storm 3D (2008), Metronauts (2013), Metroplex, MetroplexLaser, MetroplexShadow, Michaelmas, Michigan (2015), Milk Bar (2003), Micronian (2008, extensive pixel-based family), Military-RPG (2008), Mindless Brute (2015), Miracle Mercury (2017), Missile Man (2002, futuristic), Miss Amanda Jones (2004, brush style), Mister Twisted (2018), Mobile Infantry, Modi Thorson (2013, techno), Monsterama (2011, scary face), Monster Hunter (2017), Montroc (2015: squarish and varsity style), Moon Dart (2008), Moon Runner (2016), Morse Kode, MorseNK, Motorama (2018: car maker icons), Movie Gallery (2008, dingbats), Mrs. Monster (2013, Halloween brush font), Mystery Mobile (2015), Mystic Singler (2008, rough brush face).
- Nathan Brazil (2013, art deco), National Express (2003), Native Alien, Navy Cadet (2016), Nemesis Enforcer (2013), Neo-Geo (like the letters on the Neon cars), Neo Navy (2015), Neuralnomicon, Neuralnomicon (2018), Neutron Dance (2020), New Come Title (2016), New Mars (2015), New York Escape (2015), Nextwave (2014), NGC 292 (2020), Nick Turbo (2001), Nicomedia (2020), NifeFite, NifeFiter, NifeFites, Nightchilde (2013), Nightmare Alley (2016: Halloween font), Nightrunner (2008, sci-fi), Night Traveler (2020), Nightwraith (2011, techno family), Ninja Garden (2018), Ninjas (2002), Nobody's Home (2014: poster font), NoloContendre, Northstar (2014), Nostromo, Nuevo Passion (2013), Nyet (2002, Soviet letter simulation).
- Oberon, Oberon-Deux, Obsidian Blade (2020), Obsidiscs (2003, dingbats), Oceanic Drift (2013), October Guard (2013, Cyrillic simulation face), Odinson (2007, runes), Oh Mighty Isis (2014, Greek simulation family), Olympic Carrier (2017), Olympicons (2003), Omega 3 (2010, futuristic), Omega Flight (2020), Omega Force (2013, octagonal / mechanical), Omega Sentry, Omni Boy (2019), OmniGirl (2003, techno), Opilio (2012), Opus Magnus (2013, metal band font), Opus Mundi (2015), Oramac (2004), Ore Crusher (2013), Oubliette (2020), Outlands-Truetype (2001), Outrider (2013), Overstreet Bible (2014, hand-printed), Ozda (2011, a fat techno family with several horizontally striped styles), Ozymandias.
- Psyonic VII (2012), Paladins (2015), Pandemonious Puffery (2002), Parker's Hand (2002, handwriting), Peace & Houston (2019: squarish), Pepperland (2019), Perdition, Peregrine, Phantacon (2017), Phaser Bank (2008, techno), Philadelphia, Philly Dings (2003), Phoenicia (2015), Piper Pie (2007), Pistoleer (2011), Planet N (2016), Planet S, Planet X, Player 1 Up (2012: architectural family), Pocket Ball (2016, dot matrix style), Pocket Monster (2016), Police Cruiser (2013), Postmaster, Power Lord (2011), Predataur (2019), Presley-Press (2007), Press Darling (2012), Procyon, Prokofiev (2009, rounded and squarish), Promethean (2008), Protoplasm, Prowler (2013), Pseudo Saudi (1999, Arabic simulation), Psycho Butcher (2014, ransom note font), PuffAngel, Pulsar Class (2018), Pulsar Class Solid (2018), Pulse Rifle (2009), Punch (2020), Pyrabet.
- QTs (2013: erotic silhouettes), Quake-&-Shake, Quantum of Malice (2013), Quark Storm (2013), Quarrystone (2015), Quartermain (2002), Quasar Pacer (2018), Quasitron (2009, futuristic), Quatl (2002, an Inca font), Queen&Country (2009), Quest Knight (2009), Questlok, Quicken (2013, horizontal stencil), Quickening (2014), QuickGear (2019), Quickmark (2004), Quick Quick (2019), Quick Strike, QuickTech, Quill Sword (2016: soft blackletter style).
- RCMP, Racket Squad (2017), RadZad, Radio-Space, Raider Crusader (2016), Raise Your Flag (2013), Range Paladin (2018), Ranger Force (2020), Realpolitik, Rebecca, Rebel Command (2012, Star Trek family), Redcoat (2008, blackletter), Red Delicious (2019), Redline (2015), Red Rocket (2011, techno), Red Undead (2016: Halloween font), Regulators, Renegado (2014), Replicant, Repulsor (2013, pixelish), Rhalina (2011, a nice upright script), Rhinoclops (2019), Righteous Kill (2009), Right Hand Luke (2016), Robo Clone (2018), Robotaur (2008), Rocket Junk, Rocket Pop (2016), Rocket Type (2002), Rockledge (2019: an eroded stone look font), Rogue-Hero, Roid Rage (2003), Ro'Ki'Kier (2008), Rosicrucian (2009, stone age font), Royal Samurai (2018), Rubber Boy (2013, poster font family), Rumble Tumble (2020: a rough military stencil), Rune Slasher (2019).
- Sable Lion (2002), Sagan (2008, futuristic), Samurai Terrapin (2018: blocky), Scarab, ScarabScript, Sci-Fi (2008), SDF (2013), Sea-Dog, Searider-Falcon (2008), Secret Files (2011), Sever, Shablagoo (2015: thick creamy poster font), Shining Herald (2013), Shogunate (2019: a heavy octagonal typeface), Singapore Sling (2014), SisterEurope, Skirmisher (2014), Sky Cab (2017), Skyhawk (2014), Sky Marshal (2015), Sky Ridge (2020), Snubfighter (2009, sci-fi), Soldier (2011), Soloist (2018), Sound FX (2003), Soviet, Space Cruiser, Space Junker, Space Ranger (2013), Space Runner (2019), Spartaco (2016), Speed Phreak (2020), Speedwagon (2015), SPQR (2008, grunge roman), Spy Agency (2012), Spy Lord (2001), Starcruiser (2019), Starduster (2011), Star Eagle (2014), Star Fighter (2017), Star Guard (2019), Star Navy (2009: dingbats), Star Nursery (2018, fat stencil), Stranger Danger (2014: grunge), Strike Fighter (2017), Strikelord (2011, trekkie family), Stuntman, Subadai Baan (2013), Super Commando (2015), Super Soldier (2014, silhouettes), Super Submarine (2017: stencil), SuperUltra911, Superago (2002), Swordtooth (2017).
- Talkies (2008, dingbats), Tarrget (2013, based on the Tekken "Tag Tournament" logo), Taskforce (2008), Tauro (2012), Team America (2014), Team Galaxy (2020), Tele-Marines, Tempest Apache (2018), Terra Firma, Terran, Terror Babble (2017), Texas, Texas2, The Immortal (2019), TheRifleman, The Shire (2009), The Shooter (2012: gun dingbats), Texas Ranger (2014: Western font), Thundergod, Thundergod II (2013), Thunder-Hawk (2011, an aviation techno face), Thunderstrike (2016), Thunder Titan (2017), Thunder Trooper (2017: stencil), Tigershark (2013), Timberwolf (2011), Time Warriors (2007), Tokyo Drifter (2016), Tool (2012, dingbats of tools), Toon Town Industrial (2005, comic book font), Tower Ruins (2014: stencil), Tracer (2015), Trajia (2008, a techno/stencil/athletic lettering family), TransAmerica (2015), Traveler (2008), Travelicons (2009), Travesty (2003, scrawly handwriting), Trek Trooper (2008, Startrek font), Trigger Man (2013, octagonal and mechanical), Trireme (2011, Star trek family), Tristram (2008, uncial), Troopers (2011, futuristic), Trueheart (2009, Celtic), Turbo Charge (2016), Turtle Mode (2020: heavy octagonal), Tussle (2002), Typeecanoe (hand-printed), Typhoon (2013).
- Uberholme, Uberholme Lazar (2001), UFO Hunter (2009), Uglier Things (2018), Ultra 911, Ultramarines (2013), Underground Rose (2014, connect-the-dots), Union Gray (2015), Unisol, United Palanets (2014), UniversalJack, Uno Estado (2009, constructivist), Urban Defender (2019), U.S.A., US Angel (2017), USArmy, US Army II (2013), US Marshal (2012), US Navy (2007), U.S.S. Dallas (2008), Usuzi.
- Valerius (2009, uncial), Valiant Times (2021), Valkyrie (2008), Valley Forge (2008), Vampire Bride (2016: Halloween font), Vampire Games (2001), VariShapes (2001), Viceroy of Deacons (2016), Vicious Hunger (2014, grunge), Victory Comics (2017), VideoStar, Vigilante Notes (2003), Viking Squad (2015, stencil), Villain Team-Up (2020: a fat finger font), Vilmos Magyar, Vindicator (2012, techno), Virgin Hybrid (2014), voxBOX, Voortrekker Pro (2009: octagonal and athletic lettering family), Vorpal (2012: sci-fi stencil face), Vorvolaka (2013), Voyage Fantastique (2013), VX Rocket (2014, fat octagonal face), Vyper (2008, futuristic stencil).
- War Eagle (2009), Warlock's Ale (2014), War Machine, War Priest (2012), Warp Thruster (2013: military or Star Trek stencil), Warrior Nation (2011), Wars of Asgard (2009), Watchtower (2012), Weaponeer (2008, military lettering), Ween Dings (2918: Halloween dingbats), Were-Beast (2008), Westdelphia (2015, blackletter), Western Rail (2015), Wet Works (2013, grungy stencil), Whatafont, Ensign Flandry (2003), Whiskey Bravo (2003), Whovian (2015, scanbats of all Dr. Who characters owned by the British Broadcasting Corporation), Wiccan Ways (2020: alien writing), Wicker Man (2017), Wildcard (2011, Star trek family), Wimp Out (2004), Winter Solstice (2016), Wolf Brothers (2015), Wolf's Bane (+II, +Super-Extended, 2013), Woodgod (2013), Worldnet (great), Worm Cuisine (2016), Write Off, Writer's-Block, WyldStallyns.
- Xaphan (2003), XBones (2018), XCryption (1999, a hacker face), X-Fighters (2014), XPED, Xcelsion (2002), Xeno Demon (2017), Xenophobia, Xephyr, Xeppelin (2005, zeppelin dingbats), X-Grid (2008), Xiphos (2007), Xmas Xpress (2013), Xoxoxa, X-Racer (2012).
- Yahren, Yamagachi 2050 (2019), Yama Moto (2009: oriental simulation), Yankee Clipper (2011), Yay USA (2013), Year 2000, Year3000 (2001), Yellow Jacket (2002), Yeoman Jack (2021), Y-Files (2016), Yiroglyphics (2004), Yorstat (oriental simulation), Younger Brothers (2014), Younger Blood (2017), Young Frankenstein (2013), Young Patriot (2019: squarish), Youngtechs (2008, futuristic), Yukon Tech, Yummy Mummy (2018).
- Za's Vid (2001, pixel font), Zado (2002, dot-matrix font), Zakenstein (2011, caps only grunge), Zamboni Joe (2002, hand-printed)), Zealot (2008), Zee Lance, Zen Masters (2002, pixelish), Zero Prime (2019), Zeta Reticuli (2019), Zeta Sentry (2009, techno/futuristic), Zirconian (2021), Zollern (2013), Zombie Control (2013: a bloody paint drip face), Zone Rider, Zoologic (2009, animal dingbats), Zoomrunner (2016), Zounderkite (2017), Zyborgs, Zymbols.
Intellecta Design (or: Monocracy Types)
Intellecta Design is a design company in Brazil run by Paulo W (b. 1970) from Recife. In 2020, he also set up Monocracy Types. Paulo W is a gaúcho (Brazilian southerner), with interests in multiple areas, including poetry (he has published the digital opus Magical Book), graphic design and, most recently, type design.
Dafont link. MyFonts. MyFonts link. Abstract Fonts link. YWFT link. Behance link. Blog. Home page. Fonthaus. Monotype. Eshops. Facebook. Flickr. Klingspor link. Wordpress. Devian tart. T26. Linkedin. Identifont. Linotype. ITC. Faces.co. His typefaces:
Showcase of Intellecta Design's fonts, numbering 554 as of early 2017. [Google]
- Free fonts: Inductive Resonance (2014: connected script), Retrodings (+Two, 2014), Living In The Past (outlined Tuscan face), Rough Ornaments Free (2014), CornPop Three (borders), Too Good To Be True (2013, retro script), Blanchard Inland (2013), Living Together (2013), Arresto (2013, brush script), Hertziano (2013, non-connected fat script), Japanese Tourist (2013), Nouveau Never Dies Free (2013), The Beat Goes On (2012, fifties script), Stencix (2012), Figgins Brute Trash (grunge), Fontaniolo Beveled (2011, ornamental caps), Czech Gotika (2011), Random Dingbats (2011), Victorian Free Ornaments (2011), Rustic (2011), Armorial (2011), Woman Silhouettes (2011), The Nile Song (2010, hieroglyphics), Smith Typewriter (2009), Sign Flags (2010, semaphore dingbats), Senectus Morbus (2010), MesoAmerica (2010, Indian symbols), ClassicSketches (2010, dingbats), Columns (2010, dingbats of Greek and Roman columns), EasyCuneiform (2010), EasyLombardicTwo (2010), EasyOpenFace (2010, blackboard bold style), Egidia (2010), Significante (2010, dingbats with, e.g., gender symbols), WhiteDominoes (2010, domino pieces), Easy Heraldics (2010), Intellecta Heraldics (2010), Heraldic Devices (2011), KidingsFree (2010, dingbats), RoughTuscan (2010), The French (2009, Fleur de Lys dings), AprendizCaligrafico (2010), Volitiva (2006, Trajan caps and chancery lower case, all based on work by Ludovico Vicentino Arrighi), Gaivota (2006), KurrentKupferstichThin (2006), PaulKlein (2010), PaulKleinTwo (2010), PortuguesArcaicoLectura (2005), ReproxScript (2009, based on Jerry Mullen's Repro Script from 1953-1954), RickGearyHomage (2007, scanbats), WestBalaio (2006, ornamental caps), Corto Maltese (2006, scanbats), Renaissance Coiffure (2006), Renaissance Ornaments (2007), Renaissance Shoes (2012, free), TTF Tattoef (2006, tattoo-inspired dingbats), ExperiTypo5 (2006), Lower Metal (2006), Geometric Serif PW (2006), Geometric (2006), Geometric Petras PW (2006), War II Warplanes (2005), Carbono (2005), Times New Vespasian (2005), BoldBold (2005), Vengeance (2005), Doppleganger (2005), Chancelaresca (2005), Cursivo Saxonio (2005), Gotische Minuskel 1269 (2005: a Kanzlei Schrift after Dekan Hermann zu Soest, 1269) and Guto Lacaz (2005, dingbats).
- Richard Gans revival project: Gans Tipo Adorno, Gans Lath Modern, Gans Titular Adornada (2006), Gans Ibarra (2006, after Carlos Winkow's Elzeviriano Ibarra), Gans Antigua (2006), Gans Antigua Manuscrito (2006), Gans Radio Lumina (2006), Gans Fulgor (2006), Gans Carmem Adornada (2006), Gans Italiana (2006, extensive Italian-style slab serif family), Gans Titania (2007), Gans Titania Adornada (2007), Gans Titular (2007), Gans Gotico Globo (2007: 9 styles by Iza W), Gans Royality (2007: 3 styles by Iza W), Gans Headpieces (2008), Gans Rasgos Escritura (2010: filets---followed in 2011 by Rasgos Escritura Nuevos), Gan Esquinazos (2010, frames), Gans Blasones (2010, shields), Gans Neoclassic Fleurons (2008), Gans Classical Fleurons, Gans Ding.
- Wood-inspired typefaces: Dead Wood Rustic (2007), Taranatiritza (5 wood type styles, after William Hamilton Page), Majestade (2007, by Iza W---two Tuscan style typefaces), Decorative Tuscanian (2007), Concave Tuscan (2010, wood type), Palermo (2007, by Iza W---Tuscan style family), Teatro (2009, Tuscan), Bruce Double Pica (2009, Tuscan; the Beveled weight is free), Antique Extended (2010, slab serif wood type), Dark Wood (2009, gothic), Dark Wood Beveled (2011).
- Charles Bluemlein's script revivals: Bluelmin Kisaburo (2013), Bluelmin Ralph (2012), Bluelmin Ronald (2012), Bluelmin Sandsfort (2012) and Bluelmin Benedict (2012). (2012).
- Blackletter: Salterio (2012, +Trash, +Three, +Gradient, +Shadow, +Shadow Two), Leothric (2011, bastarda), Bruce 532 Blackletter (2011, after George Bruce), Schneider Buch Deutsch (2007, +Trash, +Shadow, +Shadow Two), Schneidler halb fette Deutsch (2009, +Beveled), Schneidler Zierbuchstaben, Hostetler Fette Ultfraktur Ornamental (2007, blackletter caps), Gothic 16 CG (2007), Gothic 16 CG Decorative (2007, blackletter caps), Schneidler Grobe Gotisch (2008, Iza W, T-26), Allerlei Zierat (2008, ornament fonts based on a 1902 catalog of Schelter & Giesecke), Allerlei Zierat Capitals (2007), Psalter Gotisch (2009, a blackletter after the Benjamin Krebs blackletter face by the same name, ca. 1890), Münster-Gotische (2009, a blackletter family after a 1896 typeface by the same created by Schelter&Giesecke), Koberger N24 Schwabacher (2007), Student's Alphabet (2007, blackletter), Like Gutemberg Caps (2007), Nürnberg Schwabacher, Gotische Frame (2007: four framed blackletter styles by Iza W), Gotische (2007: ten ornate blackletter styles by Iza W), Gothic Garbage, Gothic Shadow, Gothic Trashed, Gothic Flourish (2009), Gotica Moderna (octagonal, blackletter), AltDeutsch (2007, four severe blackletter fonts by Iza W), Fin Fraktur, Gotische Bouffard, Heimat RGS, Gothic Handtooled Bastarda (2006), HostetlerFetteUltfrakturOrnamental (2007, blackletter caps), Gothic Handtooled Bastarda (2006).
- Historical revivals: Pantographia (2010: a digitization, as is, of several alphabets from Edmund Fry's Pantographia, 1799), Caslon2000, Caslon B, Delamotte Large Relief (2010), Figgins Brute (2007: 8 heavy Egyptian styles by Iza W based on Figgins' 1817 specimen book), Erased Figgins Brute (2007), Gras Vibert (2007, a didone family; followed by Gras Vibert Two in 2009).
- Erotic or human alphabets: American Way of Life (2011), Roman Silhouettes (2011), Silvestre Weygel (2007, named after Martin Weygel'a erotic alphabet from 1560, which in turn was based on Peter Flötner's 1534 alphabet), Gravure (caps typeface made of human silhouettes), Innocence (2007, dingbats of girls).
- Medieval chancery hand: Portugues Arcaico (2005, three medieval handwriting styles), Kurrent Kupfertisch (2006, a medieval hand done with Fernanda Salmona), Dovtrina Christam 1622 (authentic old manuscript face), Catania (2007, exquisite medieval caps in 3 styles by Iza W).
- Typewriter typefaces: Remix Typewriter (2012), Smith Trash (2012), Neo Bulletin (2010, +Trash), Remington PW (old typewriter face), Olivetti Linea (old typewriter face), Erased Typewriter 2 (2007: 4 styles by Paulo W), RIP Typewriter (2009), Shadow Typewriter (2007), Underwood Typewriter (by Iza W).
- Calligraphic: Broken Kiss (2015), Derniere Script (2015), Bradstone Parker Script (after Zaner's penmanship), Jan van den Velde Script (2011, based on the penmanship of Jan van den Velde as illustrated in vna den Velde's 1605 book Spieghel der schrijfkonste; developed jointly by Paulo and Iza W), Penabico (2010, with Iza W); Penabico is a free interpretation of the copperplate script styles to be found in the Universal Penman, London, 1741, by George Bickham---it contains over 1500 calligraphic glyphs and 250 ornaments. Samples of Penabico: i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix), Easy Calig, Intellecta Mixed Script (2008), Spencerian Constancia (2008), Calligraphia Latina Soft4 (2010, quilled ornaments), Intellecta Script commercial (2009), Spencerian By Product (2009), Spencerian Palmer Penmanship Pro (2010), Indenture English Penman (2010), Calligraphia Latina (2008-2010, in weights called Soft2, Dense, 3, Soft4, Mixed, Square Edition).
- Victorian, Edwardian: Engel (2007, by Iza W in 15 styles that have a 1870s look), Compendium (Victorian), Costado (2009, a Victorian / Western face).
- Ornamental caps: Campi (2009), Doppel Mittel Lapidar Azure (2012), Musirte Antiqua (2012), The House of Usher (2012), Peterlon (2012), Dolphus Mieg Alphabet (2011, +Two), Dolphus Mieg Monograms (2011), Human Nature (2011), English Arabesque Revival 1900 (2011), Imprenta Royal Nonpareil (2011), XVI Century Shaw Woodcuts (2011), Ichweis Caps (2011), Cherubim Caps (2011), Rara Beleza (2011), Gothic 1880 Revival (2011), Angelicaps (2010), Unnamed Caps Two (2010), VertiCaps (2010) Rebimboca Caps (2010), Rebimboca Beveled (2012, free), Rebimboca Gradient (2012, free), Rebimboca Trash (2012, free), Rebimboca Outlined (2012, free), Republica Presente (2010), Speedball Metropolitan Caps (2010, after a design by Ross F. George), Nice Initials (2010), Morphelic (2010), DurerGotischCapitals (2010), Egmontian (2007, ornamental caps family), Saducismus Triumphatus (ornamental caps), Vogus (Victorian caps), Victorian Ornamental Capitals (2009) and Frompac 1889 Arabesque (2007) [both are classical arabesques published in Ludwig Petzendorfer's Schriften-Atlas. Eine Sammlung der wichtigsten Schreib- und Druckschriften aus alter und neuer Zeit nebst Initialen, Monogrammen, Mappen, Landeskarten und heraldischen Motiven fur die praktischen Zwecke des Kunstgewerbes, 1889], Lettrines Petin (+Ornée), Numa Initials (2006), Gradl Initialen, Vampirevich (2009, ornamental caps), Paulus Franck 1602 (2006, ornate caps), Geodec (2006, baroque caps), HostetlerFetteUltfrakturOrnamental (2007, blackletter caps), Cadels (2007, ornate caps by Iza W), Manuscript XIV Century (2007, by Iza W--four Lombardic caps), Merona (2007, by Iza W--ten Lombardic caps fonts), Selena (2007, by Iza W---ornate Victorian caps), Leyenda (great Victorian era ornamental caps), Mixed Capital Style (2007, caps), Lenda (2008, capitals), Kidnaped at Old Times (2008, ornamental caps, ransom note style), Mortised Capitals, Is Not ABrazilian Font (hand-printed blackboard bold caps), Robur The Conqueror (2009, ornamental caps), Georgia Capitals (2009), Decadence avec Elegance (exaggerated ornamental caps).
- The American Advertise series: American Advertise No. 9 (2008), American Advertise No. 17 (2007, 19th century caps), American Advertise 018 and 019 (2008), American Advertise Square Series (2007), American Advertise 003 (2012), American Advertise 004 (2010), American Advertise 005 (2010), American Advertise 006 (2010, alphadings), American Advertise 007 (2010, ornamental caps).
- Ornaments, fleurons: Transportation Dings *2015), Cornucopia of Dingbats Eight (2015), Animals Old Cuts Two (2015), Unpublished Ornaments Two (2013), Classix (2012), Cornucopia of Dingbats (2012-2014, +Two, +Three, +Four, +Five, +Six, +Seven), Cornucopia of Ornaments (2013; +Two, +Three, +Four, +Five, +Six, 2014), Cornucopia Caligrafica (2012), Vintage Hands (2012), Human Silhouettes (2012; +Free, 2013; +Two, 2013; +Human Silhouettes Three, 2013; +Four, 2013; +Five, 2014; +Six, 2014; +Seven, 2014; +Eight, 2014; +Nine, 2015), Easy Fleurons (2012), Floreale Two (2012), Neoclassic Fleurons Free (2011), Calligraphic Frames Soft (2011, +Two), Jugendstil Flowers Free (2011), Easy Ornaments (2011), Blasons (2011), Blasons Free (2012), Armorial (2011), Monograms Soft (2010, with Iza W), Easy Tiles (2010), Free Tiles (2010), Rough Fleurons Two (2010), Vegetable Breathe (2010), Corn Pop Plus (2010), Mortised Fleurons (2010), Mortised Ornaments (2011), Mortised Ornaments Free Two (2013), Golden Times (2010), Stahlhelme und Kronen (2010), Rough Fleurons (2006), Nouveau Never Dies (2009, ornaments), GeodecBruceOrnamented6 (2006, after a sample from the Bruce Type Foundry), Grave Ornamental (2006), BlackOrnaments (2008), Hera Hedelix (2009, ornamental tiles), Mortised Ornaments (2009), Soft Fleurons (2007), Half Flower (2007), Frames 1 (2007, by Iza W), Flower Essences, Micro Fleurons (2009), Naturella (2009, leaf and grape dingbats by Iza W), Black Fleurons (2010), Easy Fleurons Two (2011), Intellecta Borders (2008, by Iza W), Intellecta Style (2007, borders).
- Fonts made before 2007: Brute Aldine (2007, Western family), Bad Situation (2007, after a design by Freeman Delamotte from 1864), Benjamin Franklin (2007), Geodec Petras Enhanced (2006), Deutsche Poster (2006), FatFontGrotesk (2006), Orchis (2006, an art deco family by Iza W), Fantis (2006), Frompac (2006, with Iza W), Geodec Fog (2006), Intellecta Modern (2006), Intellecta Modern 2 (2006), Intellecta Romana Humanistica (2006), Advantage (2006, together with Iza W), Biza (2006, together with Iza W), Elegancy (2006, together with Iza W), Estiliza (2006, a sans family together with Iza W), Experitypo 4, Stairway to Heaven, Copperplate PW, Dings PW, Roger Dean, Gliphs PW, Luxeuil, Watchtower Bible 1965, Gabinete Portugues (11 fonts), Elara (2009), Xilografuras (dingbats), Beta, Alta, Paleolitica Nacional, Shakespeare Studs, Copperplate collection (5 fonts), Wine, Ampersamp, James Poem, Leal Conselheiro, Haeckel Enygma, Iza B, Of, Lementa (2006, ornate family), Pirates (dingbats), Wire Clip (2009), Divina Proportione (2009, dingbats), Tharagaverung (2007), Correo (2009, a nice manly bold face), Titivilus (2007, Roman lettering), Pirates De Luxe (2007, dingbats), Geodec Minuskel (2006), Geodec Spyral (2006), Copperplate Decorative (2006), Feosa (2006), Francesco Decorative (2006, Iza W), Geodec Petras Enhanced (2006), Ibarra Flourished (2006), Intellecta Decorative 017 (2006), Intellecta Decorative 018 (2006), Intellecta Slab Bold (2006), Kansas Decorative (2006), Pingente (2006), Sixties Living (2006), Caractere Doublet (2007), DeutschePosterSteinschrift (2007; by Iza W), Bailarina (2007), GP Casual Script (2007), Colonia Portuguesa (2007), Contouration (2007), Deco Experiment 3 (2007), Floresco (2007), Flower Jars (2007, by Iza W---a very nice idea), Frutisis (2007), Intellecta Monograms (2007: 19 monogram fonts by Paulo W), Intellecta Monograms Random Sample (2012-2013: several typefaces), Peloponeso (2007, by Iza W), Porcupine (2007, by Iza W), Southern Flight (2007, by Iza W---condensed), TTF TTTOEF 4 (2007, by Iza W---dingbats), GeodecBruceFlourished, HostetlerNormande, Victorian Ultra Parphernalia (2007), Angels (2007), Angels Free (2013), Mondrongo (2007), Oorlog (2007).
- Fonts in 2008: Das Riese (3d engraved caps, +Shadow), Economica (sans, T26), Antiqua Double 12, Bad Baltimore (+Beveled, +Typewriter), Calligraphia Latina (2008-2009, in weights called Soft2, Dense, 3, Mixed, Square Edition, Free), Fry's Alphabet, Grissom (bug dingbats, by Iza W), Latinish (by Iza W), Lettering Deco (by Iza W), Litho Romana Inland, Quadratta Serif (a slab serif by Fernando Diaz), TTF TATTOEF 7 (by Iza W).
- Fonts made in 2009: Eingraviert (engraved; scans: i, ii, iii), Eingraviert Beveled (2011), Greko Roman Oldstyle, Ortodoxa do oriente, Sans Square, Speedball (by Iza W, Victorian style), Speedball Western Letters (after Ross F. George's lettering), Elara (2009), Intellecta Roman Tall, Force Brute & Ignorance, Sunamy Caps, Starret, The Pilgrim (alphadings), Renaisperian (alphadings), Real Caps Two, Mateus Bold (4 bold styles), Intellecta Crafts (arts and crafts family), Bruce 1490, Bradley Dingies (five dingbat typefaces, after William H. Bradley), Allerlei Zierat Renaissance, Grave Plus, the grungy Monkey series (Victorian Monkey, Monkey Poesy, Monkey Messed Gutenberg Caps, Monkey Was Here, Monkey Insinuation, Monkey In The Middle Ages), Montezuma (dingbats), Grotesque and Arabesque, Calhambeque (old car dingbats), Eiger (2009, a 3d sketched headline face).
- Faces made in 2010: Polen, Pencraft (capitals were inspired in Swagger Capitals, an original design from Carl Stephen Junge, at Barnhart Brothers & Spindler; lowercase based Pencraft Specials, an ornamental variation of the Pencraft Oldstyle series, as displayed in the BBS catalog from 1922), Salamemingoe (children's hand), BarberPoles, Beware the neighbors (scary), BlackInitialText, CaligrafiaDivina, CornPop, CowboyHippie Pro, Grotesca3-D, Nardis, Senzacuore, Speedball Metropolitan Poster (2010, after a design by Ross F. George), TagWood, Tosca, TypographyTribute, Zooland, Bubbleboddy-Fat, bubbleboddylight-Light, Pretoria Gross (a Victorian family done with Iza W), Wood Font Five (wood plank font), Wood Font Four, Herr Foch (art nouveau), Rebimboca, Octagon French (a 3d beveled typeface due to George Nesbitt, 1838), Picuxuxo (retro futuristic, comic book style), Large Old English Riband, Ornamental Riband, Kidings (Dutch dingbats), Hostil (originally done in 2007: a headline family; followed by Hostil Shadow Two (free, 2012) and Hostil Gradient (free, 2012)), Grotesca, Heptagon French, Antiquariaat (condensed), Cortinado, Sanoxio (3d headline face), Violentia (grunge), Swirlies (spiral dings).
- Faces from 2011: Dia de los Muertos (fantastic skeletal masks), Inland Becker, Rasgos Escritura Nuevos, Jaggard (2007, a renaissance penmanship caps typeface modeled after Joachim Romann's Queen (1954-1956, Stempel)), Jaggard Two, Naive Ornaments Black, Augustus (+Beveled: roman letters), Sayonara (oriental simulation face; the Beveled style is free), Trash Barusa (inline ornamental face), Free Ribbons, Black Ornaments Three, Calligraphia Latina Soft 5, Heraldic Devices Premium, Ornate Blackboards, Benjamin Franklin Beveled, Baltimore Typewriter Beveled, Bernardo Beveled, Van den Velde Script (a free interpretation of the work of the famous master penman Jan van den Velde, found in the Spieghel der schrijfkonste, in den welcken ghesien worden veelderhande gheschrifften met hare fondementen ende onderrichtinghe (Haarlen, 1605)), Indenture English Penmanship, Penmanship Birds and Ornaments (2012), Beware The Neighboors Shadow (texture face), White Free (shadow face), Delamotte Large Relief Beveled.
- Typefaces made in 2012: Porosa, Presto, Derradeira (signage script), About Sweet Memories (brush script), Intellecta Ribbons, Irrelevante (beveled caps), Laus Sus Chris (Christian dingbats), Unpublished Ornaments, Heavy Squared Writing (brush face), Mezcla Titan, Sweet About (retro script), Publicité, Hard to read monograms, Free Medieval, Doctor Polidori (initial caps), Mixed Silhouettes (One through Five), Glosilla Castellana Cursiva (inline type family), Sayonax (a textured version of the oriental simulation typeface Sayonara), Wood Stevens (free), Rockabilly (fifties script), Interdite Script (heavy calligraphic face), Prismatica (free), Cristalid (free prismatic face), Zed Leppelin (free), Neo Bulletin Outline (free), Neo Bulletin College (2012), Victorian Free Ornaments (+Two), Spanish Army Shields (+Two), Varius Multiplex, Stephens Heavy Titling.
- Typefaces from 2013: Face of Yesterday (calligraphic script), Ribbon in the sky, Dreamer (a flowing upright semi-connected script), Vorname (blackletter), Barocque Capitals, Close To You (a rabbit-eared script), Wappen (heraldic shields), Eletroz (hand-printed), Morcrepito (blackletter), Metropolitan Poster Black, Animal Silhouettes, Intellecta Pointers and Hands, The Loyalist (script), Vonnegut (a left-leaning script), Perhaps Love (left-leaning script), So Lonely (script), Exposition (upright script), Plaster of Paris (connected script), Volstead (connected script), Versitia (connected script), Porongo (heavy brush script), Fat Fantasy, Das Krieg (soldier dingbats), Corn Pop Two (ornamental corners), Corn Pop Four, Corn Pop Five, Astrodings, Vulnavia Sans (comic book face), Capitular Heraldica, Mirella Initials Ornamntals (a swashy calligraphic script; with Iza W), Carpete (retro script), Free Writer, Round Hand, Exclusivite (fifties script), Hertz Oscillations (fat retro script), Heavy Rock (fifties script), Raindrops (retro script), Ralph Walker (ronde), Exiles (retro signage script), Mr. Richmond Caps (art nouveau alphadings), Berengard Caps Two.
- Typefaces from 2014: Prester John, Animals Old Cuts, Take a Pebble, Corn Pop Five (borders), Kidnapped at German Lands (ransom note font), Kidnapped at German Lands 2, Kidnapped at German Lands 3, Kidnapped at German Lands 4 (finished in 2016).
- Typefaces from 2015: Rogeer (script), Chart Moss, Eliensee, Speedball Ragged, State Bridge, Derniere Script, Grissom Four (dingbats of critters), Das Modern, Zona Pro (a sans family).
- Typefaces from 2016: Ares Modernos, Soldier William Holmes (vintage handwriting), Doctor Russel (script), Hollandisch Closed (blackletter), Rough Flowers (floral ornaments), Equis (crosses), Mattaaus (a counterless poster font), Holland Morleau (a Kanzlei style blackletter font), Rough Vignettes, Rechnung (a bejeweled didone), Alphabet Fantasie (decorative caps), Phantasinian (blackletter), Loosing Memory (blackletter), Laandbrau (blackletter), Lord Radcliff.
- Typefaces from 2019: Penmanship Feather.
- Typefaces from 2020: Victorian Alphabets (a weathered engraved money font; despite its name, this is just one alphabet), Mortised Vignettes, Mortised Caps, Monocracy Cuts And Clips, Sincelo Ornaments, Augusta Torino Ornaments (based on art nouveau ornaments from Societa Augusta Torino), Renouveau (art nouveau).
Typefaces from 2021: Gotteslob (blackletter), Cotton Mather (a medieval blackletter), Josef Wein Moderne Blackletter (after an alphabet by Josef Heim from the 1900 book Moderne Schriften / herausgegeben und verlegt von Josef Heim, Supernouveau (art nouveau ornaments).
Isidore of Seville
Links for hieroglyphic fonts. [Google]
Isis Fonts (or: Shrine of Isis)
Egyptian hieroglyphics and related fonts, all original designs by Australian John Cosgriff: Adelita, Alcoholica, Biabia Layout, Brunnhilde One, Creature, Crusades, Dekald, Magician, LuciferPensionRoman, BlazingItalic, Bones2, CreationItalic, Darkenstone, Deities, Eyesis, Garfield, IsisDings, Jetson, KingdomCome, LostWorld, Raven, Spaceracer, Stargate, Tecnojap, TokyoSoft, Wizardry, ZetaGrey. The original fonts Tokyo Soft and TecnoJap simulate Japanese.
Fontspace link. Font Squirrel link. Dafont link. [Google]
JAB Font Foundry
[Joseph Anthony Bartolo]
JAB is Joseph Anthony Bartolo's foundry, located in Tarxien, Malta. MyFonts sells the hieroglyph-inspired ransom note font Hieroglyphs Nefertiti Akhenaten (2006) as well as Hebrewish (2007), a faux Hebrew face. Megre (2010) is an exercise in unusual placements of serifs. [Google]
[Jack's Scribal and Epigraphic Fonts]
Jack's Scribal and Epigraphic Fonts
Houston's Jack Kilmon designed many archaic and epigraphic TrueType fonts. Free for academics. His site also has an archive of some fonts by Reinhold Kainhofer (RK Ancient Fonts), and some Coptic, Hebrew, Hieroglyphic and Greek fonts. A list of his creations: Early Phoenician (8th century BC), Moabite/Mesha Stele Epigraphic, Lachish Ostraca Cursive Palaeohebrew, Elephantine Papyrus Cursive, Jack's Early Aramaic (10th c. BCE), Nabataean Aramaic, Jack's Samaritan, Jack's Siloam Inscription, Jack's Dead Sea Scroll Scribal (or DSS Scribal) (based on Great Isaiah Scroll), Jack's Habakkuk Scribal (based on Pesher Habakkuk), Jack's Meissner Papyrus Cursive, Dead Sea Scroll Scribal, Latin Epigraphic, Roman Rustica (Capitalis Rustica), Latin bookhand from 1st to 6th century, C. Sinaiticus Uncial Greek, Early Greek Epigraphic, Greek Minuscule with Ligatures, Carolingian Minuscule, Insular Minuscule, early Gothic, Gothic Textura Quadrata, C. Sinaiticus Uncial Greek, Early Greek Epigraphic, Greek Minuscule with Ligatures, Jack's Etruscan. Essay on the history of writing. And an archive of Greek, Coptic, Hebrew and hieroglyphic fonts.
Dafont link. Marc Smith is not kind in his critique of Kilmon, who he calls an amateur (page 65). He deplores (page 69) that most letters, o, b, p and y included, have the same height in Kilmon's work. [Google]
Jaduger Design Studio (and: Twodollarshop)
Mobaric Minhas is the Auckland, New Zealand-based designer of the old typewriter typeface families AMTW (2016), Typerighter (2016), Silk Remington Typewriter (2016), Silk Remington Pro (2020) and the vintage typeface Steadfast (2016). In 2016, he created the modular sans typeface Production, the display typefaces Whakatani and Whangarei, the techno sans typeface family Glorifie, the grungy letterpress font Handy, the grungy typeface Brushed, the high-contrast display typeface Manukao and the squarish typeface Manurewah.
Typefaces from 2017: Ashial Chalky, Mibrush (dry brush script), Malo Script, Egyp (hieroglyphs), Cycle Font (bike scanbats), Tamaki Pro (grungy letterpress emulation typeface), Stone Age, Kabadi (a geometric headline sans), King's Initials, Handwriter (grungy).
Typefaces from 2018: Gothink (an ultra-condensed sans family with solid and aged versions of all styles), Kula, Reformer (a tall condensed gothic sans).
Typefaces from 2020: Kula (+Shadow: a 4-style poster serif), Typrighter V1.
A substore of Jadugar Design Studio is Twodollarshop. MyFonts link. [Google]
[Linear A Texts]
Designer of a hieroglyphic truetype font, Egypt0 (1996). See also here. [Google]
[Isis Fonts (or: Shrine of Isis)]
[Todd Jordan Greywolf Peacock]
Free PC fonts made in 2002 and 2003 by American designer Todd Jordan "Greywolf" Peacock: GreywolfGlyphs (hieroglyph), GreywolfHeater, GreywolfNouveau (art nouveau), GreywolfPaperHeroes01, GreywolfPaperHeroes02, GreywolfPaperHeroes03, GreywolfPaperHeroes04, GreywolfQuirk (curly lettering), GreywolfStarshipFactory01, GreywolfTreasureItems01, IronclawPaperHeroes01, IronclawPaperHeroes02, IronclawPaperHeroes03, IronclawPaperHeroes04, IronclawPaperHeroes05, IronclawScenery1, IronclawStandUps1, IronclawStandUps2, IronclawStandUps3, IronclawStandUps4, IronclawStandUps5, IronclawSymbols, MagicIconsGW, SkavenIconsGW.
Dafont link. [Google]
Joseph Anthony Bartolo
[JAB Font Foundry]
German calligraphy jump site, maintained by Susanne Ulmke. There is also a great list of initial caps. We find 4 hieroglyphic fonts (GlyphBasic1 through 4) from the Centre for Computer-aided Egyptological Research, Utrecht University, The Netherlands, 1995. [Google]
[Neferchichi's Egyptian Graphics]
The Group Scout La Roselière (Switzerland) created a free TrueType Morse font and a free hieroglyphs (sic) font. [Google]
General links on typography and fonts, compiled by Denis Roegel (with earlier contributions by Karl Tombre who is no longer involved). Very, very useful. This page contains, among other things:
At FontStruct, he created Sixer (a pixel face) and Smallish (bold unicase). [Google]
- METAFONT for Beginners (Geoffrey Tobin)
- The METAFONT book (TeX source) (Donald E. Knuth)
- How to Create Your Own Symbols in METAFONT and for use in LaTeX Documents (Richard Lin)
- Milieu -- METAFONT and Linux: A Personal Computing Milieu (Thomas Dunbar)
- Simple drawings with METAFONT (Zdenek Wagner)
- Some METAFONT Techniques (article from TUGboat, 10 pages) (Yannis Haralambous)
- List of all available Metafont fonts
- Liam Quin's Metafont Guide (last version)
- MetaFog: Converting METAFONT Shapes to Contours (Richard J. Kinch)
- METAFONT source
- Design of a new font family (slides) (Gerd Neugebauer) (1996)
- PERL Module for reading .tfm files (Jan Pazdziora) (1997)
- fig2mf (UNIX manual) (Anthony Starks)
- bm2font (Friedhelm Sowa)
- Essay on math symbols by Paul Taylor
- drgen genealogical symbol font by Denis Roegel, 1996
- Chess fonts
- The Marvosym Font Package (Martin Vogels)
- Eurosymbol, another font for the euro symbol
- Lots of stuff on virtual fonts
- P. Damian Cugley's Malvern (Greek) font
- Yannis Haralambous's Omega project
- DC and EC fonts by Joerg Knappen
- Technical notes on Postscript fonts, and Postscript fonts in TEX
- Computer Modern type 1 fonts
- Articles on computer typography by Sebastian Rahtz, Aarno Hohti&Okko Kanerva, Richard J. Kinch, Basil K. Malyshev, Hirotsugu Kakugawa, Karl Berry, Victor Eijkhout, Vincent Zoonekynd, Tom Scavo, David Wright, Erik-Jan Vens, and Nelson H. F. Beebe.
- Articles on mathematical symbol fonts
- Links to essential pages for Cyrillic, Japanese, Berber, Khmer, Chinese, Korean, Greek, Indic, Syriac, Hebrew, Hieroglyphic, Tibetan, Mongolian, African fc
Lene M. Arensdorff Kristiansen
Danish designer (b. 1989) of the grunge ink spill typeface Arensdorff Ink (2011), of the experimental monoline typeface Elephont (2011), and of Egyptian Hieroglyphs Silhouette (2011) and Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs (2011).
In 2012, she created an unnamed black didone display typeface.
Home page. Behance link. [Google]
Linear A Texts
John Younger's page on phonetic transcriptions of Cretan hieroglyphs. There are some specialized fonts here (Mac only), all courtesy of Jean-Pierre Olivier: Phaistos, Mobile (Cretan hieroglyphic for clay texts), Malia-thick (Cretan hieroglyphic for sealstones), Knossos (Linear A), Mycenae (Linear B) and Linear B ideograms. For Windows, David Willem Borgdorff has designed a Linear A font: "LA.ttf.hqx". [Google]
Rénald Lévesque offers a few self-made dingbat files (Valentine, HalloweenDingbats, Egyptian Hieroglyphics, Christmas Dingbats, Clipart Dingbats, Music Notation Font). [Google]
Eric Aubourg's commercial software to typeset egyptian hieroglyphic text with your Macintosh. Comes with an 800-sign type 1 font. A 6000-glyph font is extra. Site license: 2000 dollars. [Google]
[Manfred Klein's Fonteria]
[Manfred Klein: Egypt]
Manfred Klein: Egypt
Egyptian (not slab serif!) and hieroglyphic typefaces by Manfred include AncientBats, Egypt, EgyptAxt, EgyptChildren, EgyptHieros, EgyptMythOne, EgyptSilhous, EgyptianSilhouettes, EgyptianSilhouettes, EgyptianSilhouettes, Egypticons, EgypticonsToday, EuroGyptians, HelloCleoPetra, HelloMrPharao, HierobatsSketches, KL1-Pharaos, KL1-PharaosTwo, OldEgyptGlyphs, OldEgyptOne, OldEgyptTwo, PhaistosAlphabet, PhaistosFingers, PhaistosToday, VisitTheNil.
Download page. Download all these fonts in onze zip file. [Google]
Manfred Klein's Fonteria
Frankfurt-based designer (b. 1932, d. 2018) whose creative output is so large that he deserves a separate web page. His URL at Moorstation from 2000-2007. New page on him by Florian Rochler. Font squirrel link. Dafont link. [Google]
Mark-Jan Nederhof has a Computer Science degree from the University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands, class of 1990. He obtained his PhD in 1994 from the same university. In 2006, he joined the faculty at the School of Computer Science of the University of St Andrews, Scotland.
In 2020, he designed the hieroglyphic font New Gardiner. This font contains the 1071 glyphs from 0x13000 to 0x1342E, forming the section from document WG2/N3349R that deals with Egyptian Hieroglyphs. [Google]
Match Fonts is the West Hollywood, CA-based foundry led by Michel Bujardet (b. Bordeaux, France, 1951), who is Mike Budge on alt.binaries.fonts. They make and sell interesting font paks. A particular favorite of mine is the Calligraphic Fonts Pack 2, which has the beautiful medieval-look typeface Rodolphe (2001), together with the Chancellerie family, the blackletter font SquareText, and a few Uncial fonts called Oncial. Free demos. Cursive Handwriting is a 6-font pak for teaching handwriting. Also offering a handwriting and signature font service. Among free offerings, check Le Blackmail (ransom font). Also, commercial fonts for these languages: Armenian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Estonian, Greek, Hawaian, International Phonetic (IPA), Hebrew, Hieroglyphs, Hungarian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Marshallese, Polynesian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Turkish, Ukrainian, Yiddish.
Interesting typefaces: Boulon (letters with bolts), Bujardet Freres (French restaurant type), Calebasse (1997, semi-psychedelic), Chinoiseries (Chinese look-alike), Cristolikid (LCD), Diodes Light, Grecques, Halloween, Malabars, Metroplitain (art nouveau), Monogram, Octogone, Osselets (bones), Parador, Ruban Dis-Moi, SilBooettes, TSF et Compagnie, Venitienne, Yiddilatin, Zebrues, and the dingbats Dinosotype, Alphabetzier, Nahkt Hieroglyphics, Norman Prince (children's handwriting), Angelots, Sceaux, Seraphiques, Talismans, La Main Guided, La Main Solid (both children's tracing fonts), Bordini, Bordofixed, BoumBoum, ChapClerk, Dactylographe (nice!), Halotique (sans serif), Tortillon (2001, art deco), Normographe (great too!), Normafixed, Oloron, Parlante (serif family), Presse (typewriter), Technicien. Plus handwriting fonts Skrypta, Skryptaag (upright and connected), Willegha. a Morse Code font. The Halloween pack includes Coulures, Halloween, Osselets and SilBooettes. Fixed width fonts include Dactylographe, Oloron, Bordo, Norma. Direct access. Interview and photo. Alternate URL (in French), with many more fonts, such as the handwritten Pierre, Mariette. MICR E13 B font.
Fontspace link. [Google]
[House of Lime]
[Jaduger Design Studio (and: Twodollarshop)]
Gary Munch (born 1953) is the Stamford, CT-based principal of MunchFonts. He teaches at Norwalk Community College and at the University of Bridgeport Shintaro Akatsu School of Design.. His typefaces:
- GMAhuramazda (runes).
- Candara (2005), a flared typeface done for Microsoft's ClearType project. Candara received a TypeArt 05 award.
- Munch produced three new Cherokee fonts in 2011 in response to a request by Joseph Erb, of language technology and education services at the Cherokee Nation: Chancery Modern ProCherokee (a sleek sans serif semi-cursive font), Neogrotesk Cherokee (a multipurpose workhorse design), and Munch Chancery Cherokee (a calligraphic font that resembles handwriting). The Cherokee Nation is using Munch Chancery at its Cherokee Immersion School.
- Linotype Ergo.
- The 8-weight didone font family GMFidelio is my favorite.
- Finerliner (linked handwriting).
- GMLondinium (1993, a blackletter face), and GM Londinium Versals (a Lombardic face).
- GMMedallion. An architectural writing font made in 1997.
- Linotype Really (1997). An almost-didone family with Cyrillic and Greek extensions for which he received an award at the TDC2 2001 competition, and obtained third prize at the 3rd International Digital Type Design Contest by Linotype Library. It was updated to Really No2 in 1999.
- GM SPQR. A Trajan type family.
- UrbanScrawlButtah, UrbanScrawlChill, UrbanScrawlDown, UrbanScrawlFly.
- GM Wodensday.
Klingspor link. FontShop link. Linotype link. Old home page.
Showcase of Gary Munch's fonts. [Google]
Musée Champollion de Figeac
Jean-François Champollion is the Frenchman who decrypted the Egyptian hieroglyphs. This is a museum dedicated to his work, in the heart of France. [Google]
MyFonts: Hieroglyphic typefaces
View some hieroglyphic or hieroglyph emulation typefaces. [Google]
Neferchichi's Egyptian Graphics
Beautiful free TrueType font (Mac, PC) called Neferchichi, with great hieroglyphic symbols. By Kevin Fleury at the "Tomb of the Chihuahua Pharaohs". [Google]
Nilus (2018) is a set of two fonts by George Douros to catalogue the Gardiner hieroglyphs. [Google]
P22 Type Foundry
Richard Kegler's fun Buffalo-based foundry, which he founded in 1995 together with his wife, Carima El-Behairy. Currently, on staff, we find type designers James Grieshaber and Christina Torre. In 2004, it acquired Lanston Type. P22 has some great unusual, often artsy, fonts.
The fonts are: Industrial Design (an industrial look font based on letters drawn by Joseph Sinel in the 1920s---this font is free!), LTC Jefferson Gothic Obliquie (2005, free), Sinel (free), P22Snowflakes (free in 2003 and P22 Snowflakes (retail) in 2020, finishedd by Richard Kegler and Terry Wüdenbachs), Acropolis Now (1995, a Greek simulation typeface done with Michael Want), P22 Albers (1995; based on alphabets of Josef Albers made between 1920 and 1933 in the Bauhaus mold), Arts and Crafts (based on lettering of Dard Hunter, early 1900s, as it appeared in Roycroft books), Ambient, Aries (2004, based on Goudy's Aries), Arts and Crafts ornaments, Atomica, Bagaglio (Flat, 3D; in the style of Il Futurismo), P22 Basel Roman (2020, Richard Kegler: an update of a 2015 typeface, P22 Basel, based on a garalde font used by Johannes Herbst (aka Ioannes Oporinus) in 1543 to publish Andreas Vesalius' On the Fabric of the Human Body (De humani corporis fabrica) in Basel), Bauhaus (Bauhaus fonts based on the lettering of Herbert Bayer), Bifur (2004, Richard Kegler, after the 1929 original by Cassandre), Blackout, P22 Brass Script Pro (2009, Richard Kegler; based on an incomplete script fond in a booklet from Dornemann&Co. of Magdeburg Germany, ca. 1910 entitled Messingschriften für Handvergoldung; for years, P22 and MyFonts claimed that Michael Clark co-designed this, but Michael does not want any credit, as he did only about 20 letters), Cage (based on handwriting and sketches of the American experimental composer John Cage), P22 Casual Script (2011, Richard Kegler, a digitization of letters by sign painter B. Boley, shown in Sign of the Times Magazine), Cezanne (Paul Cezanne's handwriting, and some imagery; made for the Philadelphia Museum of Art), Child's Play, Child's Play Animals, Child's Play Blocks, Constructivist (Soviet style lettering emulating the work of Rodchenko and Popova), Constructivist extras, Czech Modernist (based on the design work of Czech artist Vojtech Preissig in the 20s and 30s), Daddy-o (Daddy-o Beatsville was done in 1998 with Peter Reiling), Daddy-o junkie, Da Vinci, Destijl (1995, after the Dutch DeStijl movement, 1917-1931, with Piet Mondrian inspired dingbats; weights include Extras, P22 Monet Impressionist (1999), Regular and Tall), Dinosaur, Eaglefeather, Escher (based on the lettering and artwork of M.C. Escher), P22 FLW Exhibition, P22 FLW Terracotta, Folk Art (based on the work of German settlers in Pennsylvania), Il futurismo (after Italian Futurism, 1908-1943), Woodtype (two Tuscan fonts and two dingbats, 2004), P22 Woodcut (1996, Richard Kegler: based on the lettering carved out in wood by German expressionists such as Heckel and Kirchner), Garamouche (2004, +P22 Garamouche Ornaments; all co-designed with James Grieshaber), GD&T, Hieroglyphic, P22 Infestia (1995), Insectile, Kane, Kells (1996, a totally Celtic family, based on the Book of Kells, 9th century; the P22 Kells Round was designed with David Setlik), Koch Signs (astrological, Christian, medieval and runic iconography from Rudolf Koch's The Book of Signs), P22 Koch Nueland (2000), Larkin (2005, Richard Kegler, 1900-style semi-blackletter), London Underground (Edward Johnston's 1916 typeface, produced in an exclusive arrangement with the London Transport Museum; digitized by Kegler in 1997, and extended to 21 styles in 2007 by Paul D. Hunt as P22 Underground Pro, which includes Cyrillic and Greek and hairline weights), Pan-Am, Parrish, Platten (Richard Kegler; revised in 2008 by Colin Kahn as P22 Platten Neu; based on lettering found in German fountain pen practice books from the 1920s), P22 Preissig (and P22 Preissig Calligraphic, 2019), Prehistoric Pals, Petroglyphs, Rodin / Michelangelo, Stanyan Eros (2003, Richard Kegler), Stanyan Autumn (2004, based on a casual hand lettering text created by Anthony Goldschmidt for the deluxe 1969 edition of the book "...and autumn came" by Rod McKuen; typeface by Richard Kegler), Vienna, Vienna Round, Vincent (based on the work of Vincent Van Gogh), Way out West. Now also Art Nouveau Bistro, Art Nouveau Cafe and the beautiful ornamental font Art Nouveau Extras (all three by Christina Torre, 2001), the handwriting family Hopper (Edward, Josephine, Sketches, based on the handwriting styles of quintessential American artist Edward Hopper and his wife, Josephine Nivison Hopper, and was produced in conjunction with the Whitney Museum of American Art), Basala (by Hajime Kawakami), Cusp (by James Grieshaber), P22 Dearest (calligraphic, by Christina Torre and Miranda Roth), Dwiggins (by Richard Kegler), Dyrynk Roman and Italic (2004, Richard Kegler, after work by Czech book artist Karel Dyrynk), Gothic Gothic (by James Grieshaber), La Danse (by Gábor Kóthay;), Mucha (by Christina Torre), Preissig Lino (by Richard Kegler), P22Typewriter (2001, Richard Kegler, a distressed typewriter font), the William Morris set (Morris Troy, Morris Golden, Morris Ornaments, based up the type used by William Morris in his Kelmscott Press; 2002), Art Deco Extras (2002, Richard Kegler, James Grieshaber and Carima El Behairy), Art Deco Display, the Benjamin Franklin revival font Franklin's Caslon (2006), Dada (2006) and the Art Nouveau font Salon (bu Christina Torre).
In 2006, Kegler added Declaration, a font set consisting of a script (after the 1776 declaration of independence), a blackletter, and 56 signatures. Many of the fonts were designed or co-designed by Richard Kegler. International House of Fonts subpage. Lanston subpage (offerings as of 2005: Bodoni Bold, Deepdene, Flash, Fleurons Granjon, Fleurons Garamont, Garamont, Goudy Thirty, Jacobean Initials, Pabst, Spire).
Bio and photo.
In-house fonts made in 2008 include Circled Caps, the Yule family (Regular, Klein Regular, Light Flurries, Heavy, Klein heavy, Heavy Snow, Inline; all have Neuland influences). Kegler / P22 created a 25-set P22 Civilité family in 2009 based on a 1908 publication from Enshedé, the 1978 English translation by Harry Carter, and a 1926 specimen also from Enshedé.
P22 Declaration (Script, Signatures, Blackletter, 2009) is based on the lettering used in the 1776 Declaration of Independence.
At ATypI 2004 in Prague, Richard spoke about Vojtech Preissig. Speaker at ATypI 2010 in Dublin, where he presented Making Faces: Metal Type in the 21st Century about which he writes: This film has the dual aim of documenting the almost-lost skill of creating metal fonts and of capturing the personality and work process of the late Canadian graphic artist Jim Rimmer (1931-2010). P22 type foundry commissioned Mr. Rimmer to create a new type design (Stern) that became the first-ever simultaneous release of a digital font and hand-set metal font in 2008. At ATypI 2011 in Reykjavik, he showed Making Faces.
Typefaces from 2014: LTC Archive Ornaments (Richard Kegler and Miranda Roth).
Typefaces from 2020: Showcard Script (by Terry Wüdenbachs, based on an original of Beaufont at the Hamilton Wood Type Museum, custom designed by the Morgan Sign Machine Company of Chicago).
Typefaces from 2021: P22 Glaser Houdini (a layerable family, after Glaser's Houdini from 1964), P22 Glaser Babyteeth. Kegler writes: In 2019, P22 Type Foundry met with Milton Glaser (1929-2020) to initiate the official digital series of typefaces designed by Glaser in the 1960s and 70s. P22 Glaser Babyteeth is the first family released in the series. Milton Glaser's inspiration for his Babyteeth typeface came from a hand painted advertisement for a tailor he saw in Mexico City. He was inspired by that E drawn as only someone unfimilar with the alphabet could have concieved. So he set about inventing a completelly ledgible alphabet consistant with this model. P22 Glaser Babyteeth was based on original drawings and phototype proofs from the Milton Glaser Studios archives. Over the years there have been many typefaces that borrowed heavily from the Glaser designs, but these are the only official Babyteeth fonts approved by Milton Glaser Studio and the Estate of Milton Glaser. The solid and open versions are designed to overlap for two-color font effects and can even be mixed and matched for multi layer chromatic treatments. In 2021, he published the 3d art deco shadow font P22 Glaser Kitchen which is based on Big Kitchen (1976).
View Richard Kegler's typefaces. View the IHOF / P22 typeface library. [Google]
Paleofonts V. 2
Vasil Gligorov from Skopje, Macedonia, has a 16MB file with almost 300 truetype fonts that represent 30 ancient scripts: Luwian, Ugaritic, Aramaic, Runic, Syriac, Glagolitic, OCS Cyrillic, Persian Cuneiform, Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Demotic, Linear A (Complex signs), Linear B, Proto-Greek, Ancient and Medieval Greek, Ancient and Medieval Latin, Gothic, Etruscan, Oscan, Phoenician, Galilean, Celto-Iberian, Coptic, Meroitic, Cypriot, Vina, Ancient Hebrew, Samaritan, Sanskrit, Ugaritic, Manichean, Ogham, Umbrian, Asomtavruli Mrglovani, Siloam type-Inscription. Alternate URL. [Google]
Pascal Guillas' page on Egyptian fonts has a few hieroglyphic fonts in its archive. [Google]
[Intellecta Design (or: Monocracy Types)]
Pearlygates (or: Sal's Novelty Fonts)
From Australia, Pearlygates' free creations made between 1990 and 1999: All-That-Jazz, Australia-Fair, Beautiful-Bullies, Bits-'n'-Pieces, Bunnywunny, BuzzBuzzBuzz, Dinosaur-Stomp, Dr-Seuss, Eency-Weency-Spider, Energize, Fairy-Sparkle, Fly-Eagle-Fly, Gift-Wrapped, Little-House, Midnight-Cat, Mr-Men (1999, dings of cartoon characters), Party-Hat, Party-Hats, Popping-Popcorn, Pussycat, Pyramid-Purr, Razzle-Dazzle (1999), Rosebud (1999), Simple-Melody, Sprinkles (1999), Symphony-in-ABC (1999), Thespian, Typewriter-Letter, Waltzing-Matilda, What-a-Hoot!, Whirly-Gig, pearlygates, Millenium-Bug, Millenium-Star, First-Contact, Pyramid-Purr, Send-in-the-Clowns (based on drawings by Ilona Melis), Technobabble, That-Darn-Cat, Writer's-Block, Xavier, Zephyr, Zirconia, Liberace, Amber's-Family, Bottoms-Up! (alphadings), Cartouche (1999, a hieroglyphic simulation face), Christos, Dry-Martini, Escargots, Helenium, I'm-Every-Woman, Irish-Blessing, Jolly-Good-Fellow, Kick-Off, Ladybird, Liza-with-a-Z, Lolly, Nine-Lives, Old-Rugged-Cross, Porkchop, Queen-of-Hearts (2000), Quesadilla, Radiant-Southern-Cross, Tooth-Fairy, Umberette (outline hand-printed caps face, 2000), VanGogh, Yippee, Dinosaur Stomp, Fairy Sparkle, I'm Every Woman, Liberace, and Lolly.
Additional link, another URL. And another URL. Dafont link. Fontspace link. [Google]
Peter R. Wilson
[Salim George Khalaf]
At NC-based Salim George Khalaf's page on ancient Phoenicia, find free truetype fonts (Mac, PC): Nakht Hieroglyphics, Eshmoon (1996; Phoenician runes by Salim himself) and Ugaritic1 (by David Myriad Rosenbaum, El Sobrante, CA). Alternate URL. It has a great tree of language genealogies, placing Phoenician around 1600BC, with as child languages Proto-Arabic (1500BC), Old Hebrew (900BC), Archaic Greek (1000BC), Etruscan/Latin (900BC) and Aramaic (800BC). Alternate URL. [Google]
Eric Wannin's French commercial foundry with PC and Mac fonts for all European languages, most Indic languages, Cyrillic, Vietnamese, Amharic, Inuit, Slavonic, Greek, Tibetan, Thai, Lao, Khmer, Burmese, Cri. Hieroglyphic fonts too. Free font family: EuroQuartet. These fonts have one glyph only, the Euro symbol. It has some bar code fonts too.
Multilingual fonts. They cover Braille, East European languages, Turkish, Baltic, Cyrillic, Icelandic and Greek. According to the Google]
[RK Ancient Fonts]
[P22 Type Foundry]
RK Ancient Fonts
Free fonts for Sanskrit, Old Greek, Ugaritic, Meroitic, Oldpersian Cuneiform by Reinhold Kainhofer: RK-Meroitic-(Demotic), RK-Meroitic-(Hieroglyphics), RK-Meroitic-Transscript, RK-Persian-Cuneiform, RK-Sanskrit, RK-Ugaritic-Transscript, RK-Ugaritic. Kainhofer is based at Karl Franz University in Graz, Austria. Direct download.
Dafont link. [Google]
Salim George Khalaf
Schriften - Gesten
Reinhold Kroger's page of ancient/medieval writing. Has four hieroglyphic fonts (free). [Google]
French creator of a hieroglyphic and a Coptic metafont. He also developed the free Open Source hieroglyphic editor JSesh. JSesh is a word processor for ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic texts. Designer of Egypto Serif, a rather complete font based on DejaVu. [Google]
Creator from Westgate on Sea (UK) of Gypt (2010), an experimental font that as inspired by hieroglyphs. Behance link. [Google]
Studio for Transcultural Design-Creative Solutions
Foundry in Vienna that makes gorgeous commercial fonts for African languages. These pictograms are so nice that I will list each of them. The complete font set retails for about 1000 USD.
- Akelouke1: cave writing from the Sahara, 5000BC.
- Bete: symbols from Cote d'Ivoire, 1956.
- Mezzouliet: cave writing from the Sahara, 5000BC.
- Indalag: cave writing from the Sahara, 5000BC.
- Adinkra: modern symbols from Ghana.
- Meroitic: Egyptian hieroglyphs.
- Celto-Iberic: Spanish and North-African runes.
- Canary: runes from the Canary Islands.
- Bamum: pictograms from Liberia, 1890 and 1894.
- Loma: Liberian script, 1930.
- Vai: Liberian script, 1894. The Vai script was devised by Momulu Duwalu Bukele in about 1833 (Near Cape Mount, Liberia).
- Nsibidi: a complex Nigerian system of pictograms and ideograms, known as Nsibidi (or Nsiberi) has been used traditionally in the cross river area of Nigeria, especially among the Ekoi, Igbo and Ibibio.
- Nubian: Ethiopian script.
- Amharic: Another Ethiopian script.
- Ibo Geneva Style: Geneva with proper diacritics for Ibo.
- Nigerian Times.
- Pan African Arial Style.
- Orisha Arial Style.
- Djuka: A pictogram language from Suriname, 1910.
- Voodoo (Veve): A particularly elegant set of pictograms found in Haiti.
- Abakuá: Pictograms from Cuba, 1980.
- Cabbal: Pictograms from Tobago, 1990.
Todd Jordan Greywolf Peacock
French foundry, est. 2008, by Jonathan Perez and Laurent Bourcellier. Graduates from the Ecole Estienne in Paris, they have made the following fonts:
Jonathan Perez is a graphic and type designer. He graduated in 2007 from Ecole Estienne in Paris with a provocatively-titled thesis, Giambattista Bodoni, génie ou assassin?. In 2009, Jonathan set up his own site, JonathanPerez.cm, where he plans to publish some Latin typefaces. Fontspace has some free fonts by Perez, such as Ifao n Copte.
- Chapitre (2013): It is based on the principle of the endless knot, a symbol used particularly in Hinduism and Buddhism. As its name implies, an endless knot has no beginning and no end. It also echoes many works in the history of writing which you must be familiar with, like Irish and Anglo-Saxon illuminations of the Middle Ages or Flemish calligraphy of the 17th century. Chapitre won an award at TDC 2014.
- Colvert (2012): A family comprosed of four families, Colvert Arabic (by Kristyan Sarkis), Colvert Cyrillic (by Natalia Chuvatin), Colvert Greek (by Irene Vlachou) and Colvert Latin (by Jonathan Perez).
- The free font Ifao N Copte, a Unicode-compatible font with 809 glyphs for Coptic. By Perez.
- Unicopte (by Bourcellier) and Copte Scripte (2008, by Bourcellier and Perez; it won an award at TDC2 2009). Discussion.
- A hieroglyphic font. By Perez.
- Joos (2009) took its inspiration from an italic, ca. 1530, by Joos Lambrecht, from Gent, Belgium, who was one of the great printers and punchcutters of the 16th century.
- Extensions of Syntax and ITC Slimbach for Vietnamese (with the help of Pauline Nuñez, Valentine Proust and Mathieu Réguer) for the National Museum of Asian Arts Guimet.
Klingspor link. [Google]
Unicode Fonts for Ancient Scripts
This is a fantastic source of free high-quality fonts for scripts of the greater Aegean vicinity, Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Meroitic, Sumero-Akkadian Cuneiform, Musical Symbols and all Symbol Blocks in the Unicode Standard. George Douros is their Greek font designer. His free fonts come with this exemplary footnote: In lieu of a licence: Fonts in this site are offered free for any use; they may be opened, edited, modified, regenerated, posted, packaged and redistributed. Many of his fonts contributed to important section in the GNU Freefont project. Here is the list:
- Abidos (2018). An attempt to catalogue about 8000 Egyptian hieroglyps. His Nilus font (2018) catalogues the Gardiner hieroglyphs.
- Aegean (2007-2012). Covers Basic Latin, Greek and Coptic, Greek Extended, some Punctuation and other Symbols, Linear B Syllabary, Linear B Ideograms, Aegean Numbers, Ancient Greek Numbers, Ancient Symbols, Phaistos Disc, Lycian, Carian, Old Italic, Ugaritic, Old Persian, Cypriot Syllabary, Phoenician, Lydian, Archaic Greek Musical Notation. Other things in it: Linear A, Cretan Hieroglyphs, Cypro-Minoan, Ancient Greek Alphabets, Phrygian, Old Italic Alphabets (Cumaean, Archaic Etruscan, Neo Etruscan, Ancient Latin, Lugano, Faliscan, Marsiliana, Messapic, Middle Adriatic South Picene, North Picene, Oscan, Umbrian), the Arkalochori Axe and Anatolian Hieroglyphs.
- Aegyptus (2007-2020) and Gardiner. Over 7000 hieroglyphs. In addition, we have Basic Latin, Greek and Coptic, Egyptian Transliteration characters, some punctuation and other symbols.
- Akkadian (2007). Basic Latin, Greek and Coptic, some Punctuation and other Symbols, Ugaritic, Cuneiform, Cuneiform Numbers and Punctuation.
- Alexander (2007, text typeface built around the Greek letters originally designed by Alexander Wilson in 1744; compare with Wilson Greek (1996, Matthew Carter) and Junicode (2006, Peter S. Baker)). The Latin and Cyrillic parts are based on Garamond.
- Alfios. Lowercase upright Greek were designed in 1805 by Firmin Didot (1764-1836) and cut by Walfard and Vibert. The typeface, together with a complete printing house, was donated in 1821 to the new Greek state by Didot's son, Ambroise Firmin Didot (1790-1876). Lowercase italic Greek were designed in 1802 by Richard Porson (1757-1808) and cut by Richard Austin. They were first used by Cambridge University Press in 1810. Capitals, Latin and Cyrillic, as well as the complete bold weights, have been designed in an attempt to create a well-balanced font. The font covers the Windows Glyph List, Greek Extended, various typographic extras and some Open Type features (Numerators, Denominators, Fractions, Old Style Figures, Historical Forms, Stylistic Alternates, Ligatures); it is available in regular, italic, bold and bold italic.
- Anaktoria. Douros: Grecs du roi was designed by Claude Garamond (1480-1561) between 1541 and 1544, commissioned by king Francis I of France, for the exclusive use by the Imprimerie Nationale in Paris. Greek in Akaktoria is based on a modern version of Grecs du roi prepared by Mindaugas Strockis in 2001. Lowercase Latin stems from the titles in the 1623 First Folio Edition of Shakespeare. Scott Mann & Peter Guither prepared a modern version for The Illinois Shakespeare Festival in 1995. Cyrillic has been designed to match the above Greek and Latin.
- Analecta (2007, Byzantine style). An ecclesiastic scripts font, in Byzantine uncial style, covering Basic Latin, Greek and Coptic, some Punctuation and other Symbols, Coptic, typographica varia, Specials, Gothic and Deseret.
- Aroania: In 1927, Victor Julius Scholderer (1880-1971), on behalf of the Society for the Promotion of Greek Studies, got involved in choosing and consulting the design and production of a Greek type called New Hellenic cut by the Lanston Monotype Corporation. He chose the revival of a round, and almost monoline type which had first appeared in 1492 in the edition of Macrobius, ascribable to the printing shop of Giovanni Rosso (Joannes Rubeus) in Venice. Aroania is a modern recast of Victor Scholderer's New Hellenic font, on the basis of Verdana.
- Asea (2020, Latin-Greek-Cyrillic). A modern font based on Firmin Didot's Greek type.
- Atavyros. Douros writes: Robert Granjon (1513-1589) produced his Parangonne Greque typeface (garmond size) at the instigation of Christophe Plantin as a counterpart to Garamond's Grec du roi, in Antwerp Holland, between 1560--1565. It was used in Plantin's multilingual Bible of 1572. Versions of Granjon's type were used for the 1692 edition of Diogenes Laertius and for the Greek-Dutch edition of the New Testament in 1698, both published by Henric Wetstenium in Amsterdam. A digital revival was prepared by Ralph P. Hancock for his Vusillus font in 1999. Latin and Cyrillic are based on a Goudy typeface.
- Avdira. Douros: Upright is based on the lowercase Greek letters in the typeface used by Demetrios Damilas for the edition of Isocrates, published in Milan in 1493. A digital revival was prepared by Ralph P. Hancock for his Milan (Mediolanum) font in 2000. Italic Greek were designed in 1802 by Richard Porson (1757-1808) and cut by Richard Austin. They were first used by Cambridge University Press in 1810.
- Maya. Maya covers the glyphs in J. Eric S. Thompson's A Catalog of Maya Hieroglyphs (1962, University of Oklahoma Press).
- MusicalSymbols (2007) or Musica (2013). Basic Latin, Greek and Coptic, some Punctuation and other Symbols, Byzantine Musical Symbols, (Western) Musical Symbols, Archaic Greek Musical Notation. There is also the Greek musical notation font EE Music (2018) for Hellenic ecclesiastic music.
- UnicodeSymbols (2007, in the Computer Modern style) and UniDings (2013). It has every imaginable symbol: Basic Latin, Latin-1 Supplement, Latin Extended-A, IPA Extensions, Greek, Cyrillic, Cyrillic Supplementary, General Punctuation, Superscripts and Subscripts, Combining Diacritical Marks for Symbols, Letterlike Symbols, Number Forms, Arrows, Mathematical Operators, Miscellaneous Technical, Control Pictures, Optical Character Recognition, Box Drawing, Block Elements, Geometric Shapes, Miscellaneous Symbols, Dingbats, Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-A, Supplemental Arrows-A, Supplemental Arrows-B, Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-B, Supplemental Mathematical Operators, Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows, CJK Symbols and Punctuation, Yijing Hexagram Symbols, Vertical Forms, Combining Half Marks, CJK Compatibility Forms, Specials, Tai Xuan Jing Symbols, Counting Rod Numerals, Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols, Mahjong Tile Symbols, Domino Tile Symbols.
- Symbola (2013) is an unbelievably rich font. It contains Basic Latin, IPA Extensions, Spacing Modifier Letters, Combining Diacritical Marks, Greek and Coptic, Cyrillic, Cyrillic Supplement, General Punctuation, Superscripts and Subscripts, Currency Symbols, Combining Diacritical Marks for Symbols, Letterlike Symbols, Number Forms, Arrows, Mathematical Operators, Miscellaneous Technical, Control Pictures, Optical Character Recognition, Box Drawing, Block Elements, Geometric Shapes, Miscellaneous Symbols, Dingbats, Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-A, Supplemental Arrows-A, Braille Patterns, Supplemental Arrows-B, Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-B, Supplemental Mathematical Operators, Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows, Supplemental Punctuation, Yijing Hexagram Symbols, Combining Half Marks, Specials, Byzantine Musical Symbols, Musical Symbols, Ancient Greek Musical Notation, Tai Xuan Jing Symbols, Counting Rod Numerals, Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols, Mahjong Tiles, Domino Tiles, Playing Cards, Miscellaneous Symbols And Pictographs, Emoticons, Ornamental Dingbats, Transport And Map Symbols, Alchemical Symbols, Geometric Shapes Extended, Supplemental Arrows, and Symbols of occasional mathematical interest. It is one of a hanful fonts that dares to have a glyph that shows the middle finger. Github link for free download. see also Symbola Goomoji (2013).
- Unidings. Various glyphs and icons.
Since George permits redistribution, I am offering his work for download here. [Google]
[Paleofonts V. 2]
Victoria Museum of Egyptian Antiquities
GlyphBasic: four truetype fonts with hieroglyphs made by the Centre for Computer-Aided Egyptological Research, Utrecht University, The Netherlands, 1995. [Google]
VShane -- Wacom Knigh Studio
Designers of the 4 USD typeface Neutral Glyphs (2003), which has 65 arcane symbols. They also made Halfling Hero (2003) for game-playing purposes. Other fonts: Law Glyphs&Runes, Chaos Runes&Glyphs, Draconic, Deep Dwarven, Wizard Kanji, Dark Urth Heiroglyphic. [Google]
Programmer and gamer based in Aiken, SC. Designer of the commercial font package Arcane Alphabets and the free font Instahex. These typefaces go back to ca. 1997, but updates have been made until 2019. . Purchase fonts here:
- Albrecht. An ornate blackletter based on work by the German Renaissance artist Albrecht Dürer.
- Babington. The cipher famously used by Mary, Queen of Scots, when she was imprisoned by and plotting to overthrow her cousin Elizabeth I, which cost her her life.
- Blaise. A collection of three cipher fonts, Blaise, Blaise Round, and Blaise Block.
- Coelbren. Named after Coelbren y Beirdd, the purported bards' alphabet of Wales.
- Cowboy. A cipher font based on authentic cattle brands from the Old West.
- Crowley, a font based on Aleister Crowley's Alphabet of Daggers.
- DarkCity, a font for making city skylines.
- EasyHex ad InstaHex (a free font from 1997). Eighty-six hex paper fonts for gamers.
- Gold Bug. Based on the cipher used by Edgar Allan Poe in his classic story "The Gold-Bug."
- Grimoire. This package consists of three fonts, two of which date to the Renaissance era and the third of which was created in a similar style specifically for gaming use. Theban is sometimes called "the alphabet of the witches" and is still in use today to keep writing safe from prying eyes. Magi is derived from the Writing of the Mages, another Renaissance-era alphabet, this one based on Hebrew, with a unique look. Magehand was designed specifically for gaming use, based on Theban and other real-world secret and magical alphabets. It has the general look and feel of the two real ones without actually being them.
- Hieroglyphic Borders.
- Hieroglyphica. Egyptian hieroglyphs.
- Illuminati. A cipher font based on a secret alphabet supposedly used by the Illuminati.
- Lycian. The Lycians were ancient residents of Anatolia, and they wrote with an alphabet which had much in common with Greek, but also differed in many ways, as their language had many different sounds.
- Nug-Soth. A cipher font.
- Ogham. Ogham is an ancient Irish writing system.
- Oukoine: Many ancient alphabets are derived from Phoenician by way of ancient Greek. They are not, however, all from the same version of ancient Greek. Just as the language (Koine) had local dialects, the alphabet did too. Different letters were used in Athens, Crete, and other Greek city-states. Eventually the Ionian version became the common alphabet for the Greek world, from which the modern Greek k alphabet developed. Our own, however, came from the Euboean variant, which was used by the Etruscans and then, as with so much Etruscan culture and technology, the Romans. This explains, for example, the reason both the "C" and the "G" of the Roman alphabet look so little like the gamma of the Greek alphabet: it's not derived from that Greek alphabet.
- Pigpen Pigpen, Pigpen Square, and Royal Arch. Cipher fonts.
- PolyDice. For polyhedral dice (dFour, dSix, dEight, dTen, dTwelve, dTwenty).
- Rune Borders.
- Runes. Runes contains both authentic runes, derived from the Elder Futhark, and rune-style characters for the modern alphabet.
- Ugaritic. Ugaritic cuneiform.
German creator of Ballpoint Scratch (2014), Hollywood Hills (2013, octagonal typeface), Fake Hieroglyphs (2010) and Conducting Paths (2011, electrical circuit face, or a connect-the-dots font). [Google]