| || |
Designer from Nashville, TN, who created the hand-printed typeface APD (2011, iFontMaker).
Dafont link. [Google]
Graphic design student at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, TN, 2010. Illustrator. Creator of a Grid Alphabet (2010). [Google]
Alyssa Kathryn Threlkeld
Designer in Murfreesboro, TN, who created a hand-drwan marquee alphabet in 2014. Behance link. [Google]
Nashville, TN-based Angela Haglund made Gatsby Caps and Nouveau Riche (1997, art nouveau). Nouveau Riche is based on a combination of 3 alphabets. The inspiration is a portfolio by two artists, J. Lehner and E. Mader, published early in the century in Vienna called Neue Schriften und Firmenschilder im Modernen stil: Serie I (New Alphabets and Business Signs in the Modern Style: Series I). [Google]
During her studies at Memphis College of Art, Ashley Lulo (Memphis, TN) created Circuit (2014), a prototypical circuit typeface. [Google]
Dan Hall (Memphis, TN) posted this example of kerning gone awry. [Google]
[BenStucki: Flex Font Embedding]
BenStucki: Flex Font Embedding
[Oscillating Type Foundry (or: OSC Type Foundry)]
[Sweet Little Muse]
Chattanooga, TN-based designer of the hand-crafted typeface Zaftig (2015), which was developed during her studies at Southern Adventist University. [Google]
[Thousand Type Works]
A geometric slab serif typeface family designed in 2012 for the city of Chattanooga, TN, by Robbie de Villiers and Jeremy Dooley. [Google]
During her studies at Union University in Jackson, TN, Chelsea Wood (Nashville, TN) created Rise and Shine (2012, a spilled coffee font). [Google]
Children's handwriting fonts
Charles Sartwell (Knoxville, TN) explains where to find children's handwriting fonts. [Google]
[Exclamachine Type Foundry]
Daniel Kratky is a Slovak type designer. He started out as Dannci and ran Type The Font. Creator in 2010 of the free sans display faces League Gothic (2010) [note to readers---this sounds improbable as that font is by The League of Movable Type], Gabo Drive (in the style of Impact), Barrci, No. 52 (2010), Sertig and Balham.
More recent free typefaces include Fava Black (2012, a massive magazine font) and Keytin Light (2012, a thin condensed sans).
Viable (2010, a sans typeface) s a commercial typeface that was published at Graphic River.
Dafont link. A second Dafont link. Klingspor link. Devian tart link.
From this site, it seems that Dannci is in fact Ben Stucki from Nashville, TN. But over at Graphic River, where we can buy his sans typeface Viable, we read that he is Slovakian. [Google]
Student at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville (b. 1982) who created the handwriting font Notebook (2003) [no downloads]. [Google]
[David Thometz Design]
David Thometz Design
David Thometz (b. Everett, WA, 1966) is a designer in South Jordan, UT (near Salt Lake City) who has produced some fonts for his own projects. In 2004, he moved to Hampton, TN. Typefaces by him include DTD Silvertone Woodtype, DTD Architrave Sans, DTD Tinhorn, DTD Venceremos Latin, DTD Hefeweizen (blackletter, beer bottle font), DTD Architrave (2001), DTD Digita (a great screen font), DTD Seriatim [+ Seriatim Gestalt, + Seriatim Uncial, 2003, + Seriatim Sans, 2003), DTW Erwin (2004, a Venetian newspaper typeface for the Erwin Record, a small, weekly newspaper in the town of Erwin in northeastern Tennessee, based on a cross of Plantin and Cloister), and Erwin Gothic (2007), its companion. About Erwin Gothic, he says: The design of Erwin Gothic is based on a series of German grotesque families from the early 1900s, designed originally by Johannes Wagner and distributed originally by Wagner&Schmidt as Wotan (ca. 1914?), Lessing, Reichsgrotesk and Edel Grotesque; and subsequently reworked and re-released by several foundries under these names as well as names such as Annonce Grotesque (ca. 1912?), Aurora Grotesk (ca. 1928), Neue Aurora Grotesk (1964) and Aura. Anzeigen Grotesk (ca. 1943) appears to be another offspring of these designs.
In 2004, David Thometz Design made its debut at MyFonts with Seriatim (dingbats), Silvertone Woodtype and Hefeweizen.
View David Thometz's typefaces. [Google]
David W. Shields
Shields holds a BFA from Memphis State University and a MFA from Cranbrook Academy of Art. He lived in Brooklyn where he co-founded the design studio Viewers Like You, and was a design consultant in New York. He designed Goofypop and Frank Rounded. Now an assistant professor at the University of Texas at Austin, Shields researches and catalogues wood type, and organizes the extensive Rob Roy Kelly wood type collection there. Speaker at ATypI 2009 in Mexico City, and at TypeCon 2012 in Milwaukee. [Google]
Graphic designer in Nashville, TN, who created the free typefaces Arxel (2014, modular typeface) and Cortes (2014, art deco). Behance link. [Google]
Dismantle Destroy (and before that, Dismantle Design) is located in Clarksville, TN, and is run by Matthew Tyndall (b. 1984), who according to MyFonts lives in Frankfurt, Germany. Creative Market link.
Creator of Arrivals and Departures (2011, sans display face), Ask My Flashlight (2011, a bold and bouncy comic book style face), Quiet the Thief (2011, spurred face), Raila Skies (2011, a hand-printed typeface done with Ralia Staggs), Hello Arson (2011, grunge), and Badcap (2011, grunge).
Typefaces from 2012: Monster Monster.
Typefaces from 2013: Meet The Submarine, Coin Operated (sketch font), I know a ghost, Weathervanes, As You Wish (hand-printed), Hoods and Capers (piano key face), Everglow, Brave Mountains (hand-drawn 3d poster face), Biloxi, Savage Kids (Treefrog-like script), Sleeping Forest, Right as Rain, That's Just Gross, Silent Seas.
Dafont link. The free faces at Dafont included the grunge typeface Devotion and Desire (2005), and Something Dangerous, and the hand-printed typeface Meet The Submarine (2011). Many more were added to the free list in 2013.
In 2014, he made Hashi, Daruma (chubby poster typeface), Amely, Crybaby, Handguns, Real Friends, Solid Ground, Skag, Kazoku, Piano Fingers, Vagabond, Wolves at Night (brush font), Write This Down, Polar Bread, Hiroba (sci-fi), Hungry Hobo, Wakari, Suncrusher, Captain Chunk, Tegami, Surfaced. [Google]
[Matthew Austin Petty]
Matthew Austin Petty from Nashville, TN, designed these fonts: AmarettoSour (great!), Chigger (handwriting), CountryHam, Damit, DevonisTrashed, Dingo, DisturbedBatsYo, Feta, Fishalicious (handwriting), Goddess (handwriting by Mary Katherine Brooks), Janis, MattfontOblique, MattfontSquishedBlack, MontezumasRevenge, Muzzle, Nashville (Western font), Pistolgrip (2002), Regork, Rockelectric, ScumbagPornking (dedicated to Larry Flynt), Serpents, ShowgirlErin, Shrooms, SoupRunny, Spittoontaxidermistjr, Tangerine, Taxidermist, Teachers (handwriting), Tetanus (2002), Trash.
Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Exclamachine Type Foundry
Choz Cunningham (b. 1975, Santa Cruz, CA) is a Las Vegas and more recently, Nashville, TN-based designer and artist, who set up Exclamachine in 2005. Until 2012, exclamachine published free fonts. In 2012, it went commercial via MyFonts.
Designer of Whiskey Songs (2007), Crass Roots and Crass Roots OFL (2007, stencil), Misqot (2006), The Troubles (2006), Limberjack (2006, an ornate wood titling font), this blackletter-inspired serif face (2006), Futurelic (2006, futuristic), Zugzwang (2006), Sketchy Times Bold (2005, grunge), Sketchy Times (2005, grunge), Basket of Hammers (2005, a nice wallpainting/graffiti font). His company, also called Exclamachine Foundry, where these fonts can be downloaded: The Black Bloc (2006, blackletter-inspired), MISQOT (2006), Kutura Frontalis (2006), PaulMaul (2006), Zugzwang (2006), Sketchy Times (2006), Carlos Caffeinated (2006), Basket of Hammers (2006), Disc Inferno (2006, LED simulation), Rosda Laevigata)2007, handprinting), and this heavy metal band font (2006).
In 2012, Choz published the commercial typefaces MISQOT (scratchy) and Paul Maul XT (irregular hand-printed face).
Typefaces from 2013: FinFang (comic book style caps), Lestatic Slashed (+Condensed), Lestatic Obsidian Outline (grungy), Lestatic Lashed (Arabic simulation face), Lestatic Celerite, Lestatic Carved, Lestatic CSS, Lestatic Withered Condensed, Lestatic Withered, Lestatic Sliced.
Dafont link. Open Font Library link. Home page. Fontspace link. [Google]
Memphis, TN-based designer.
Dafont link. Creator of the retro car emblem font Parkway Extended (2012). He also made Diet Pacman (2012). [Google]
Signature fonts (30 USD) and logos. Also vendor of over 13,000 fonts. Outfit run out of Knoxville, TN by "The Fontchicks". [Google]
Foundry, est. 2006, by Kyle Jones, a graphic designer from Brentwood, TN, who works in Nashville, TN. Their fonts include Milkman (2006, comic book lettering), a perky all-caps sans display typeface with comic book overtones, discussed here (2006). Another comic book typeface is here. And even his fifties-style connected script face (2006) has comic book written all over it. Still in the same style is this connected script face (2007) and this advertising typeface called WIP (2007, an angular script face). Ampersand (2010) has just that, a collection of ampersands.
Typefaces from 2012 include Kaufie (a sans) and Chunks (an angular typeface).
In 2015, he made Another Brush Pen Font, and Milkman 9a great comic book font).
Creative Market link. Alternate URL. Older URL. Behance link. [Google]
During her studies in Chattanooga, TN, Hanna Melara created a handlettered poster called Wolfgang and Friends (2013). [Google]
Haunted House Fonts (was: Moonlighting Publications)
At Haunted House Fonts (or: MoonLighting Publications), we find free original horror fonts by Bristol, TN-based Tim Harkleroad: BoneApart (1997), DracBats (1999), Haunted (1997), Mummified (1997), Spykker (1998), Vampyr (1997).
Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Insigne Type Design Studio (was: Dooley Type)
Insigne Type Design Studio (est. 2006) is run by Jeremy Dooley, b. Columbia, SC, 1981, who received a masters in graphic design at Savannah College of Art and Design in 2005. He lived in Atlanta, GA, and is now in Knoxville, TN. From 2004 until 2006, he ran Dooley Type in Greenville, SC. Behance link. Klingspor link. Font squirrel link. Creative Market link. MyFonts interview. His fonts:
- 44th President (2009, based on Obama's handwriting).
- Aberlyth (2006). An informal script face.
- Ainslie (2014), Ainslie Slab (2014), and Ainslie Sans (2014).
- Antigen (2007) is futuristic.
- Arendahl (2007) is a connected but irregular handwriting font.
- Ashemore (2012). Production assistance for Ashemore was provided by Lucas Azevedo and Marcelo Magalhaes. Followed by Ashemore Softened (2012).
- Avaloc (2006) is an expanded sans.
- The Aviano superfamily. Aviano Wedge (2012), Aviano Slab (2007), Aviano Serif (2008), 2009 Aviano Didone (2009), Aviano Flare (2010), Aviano Sans (2010), Aviano Future (2011), Aviano Contrast (2012), Aviano Gothic (2013), Aviano Sans Layers (2013). Aviano Titling (2007) is inspired by Trajan. Aviano Silk (2015) is a bilined decorative titling typeface.
- Barcis (2013). An organic sans family.
- Beastias (2006). An informal script face.
- Biortec (2004).
- Biscuit Boodle (2008) is a fun and crazy script from Portland Studios illustrator Justin Gerard. Biscuit Boodle Ornaments (2009, dingbats).
- Blue Goblet (2005) is a Treefrog-style script developed for the pending illustrated childrens book from Portland Studios, The Blue Goblet. It was codesigned by Cory Godbey of Portland Studios and Jeremy Dooley. In 2011, Cory Godbey added Blue Goblet Christmas Ornaments.
- Boncaire Titling (2012) was iInspired by the type elements of 17th century map of Curacao made by Dutch cartographer Gerard Van Keulen.
- Brigette (2007) is an ink-splattered calligraphic script.
- Cabrito (2013). A typeface for children's books. Followed by Cabrito Inverto (2014) for reversed stroke stress---some of its heavier styles have a Western appearance. In 2014, Cabrito Sans closed the set.
- Carta Marina is a family of medieval map text faces and dingbats (2007).
- Cavole Slab (2011).
- Celari Titling (2014).
- Chatype is a geometric slab serif typeface family designed in 2012 for the city of Chattanooga, TN, by Robbie de Villiers and Jeremy Dooley.
- Chennai and Chennai Rounded (2007) are playful display sans faces. Chennai Slab (2009).
- Coegit (2012). A sans family that offers Compressed, Compact and Condensed subsets.
- Cohort (2010, elliptical sans).
- Coupe (2003).
- Dienstag (2008, 8 styles).
- Donnerstag (2010, extended slab serif).
- Eigerdals (2010, rounded sans family).
- Enocenta (2013). A penmanship typeface family done with Cecilia Marina Pezoa.
- Enzia (2009, an elegant sans family).
- Fizgiger (2006). An informal script face.
- Florencia (2007) is a vintage script.
- Foverdis (2010, a calligraphic family that includes a hairline).
- Grenale (2013). A flashy in-your-face didone family from Thin to Heavy. Grenale #2 (2013) is a curvy sans that is alomst a monoline.
- Insigne Abstractions (2007) and Insigne Fleurons (2008) are dingbats.
- Jon Cary (2004, the handwriting of John Kerry).
- Kairengu (2007) is a comic book family.
- Kasuga (2008) and Kasuga Brush (2009) are fresh new scripts with oriental undertones.
- Kidela (2007) is a sassy scrapbook family. Kidela Sketch (2009).
- Le Havre (2008) is a gorgeous 8-style geometric art deco sans with tall ascenders. In 2010, the Le Havre Sketch family was added. We also have Le Havre Rough (2014, a bit of letterpress feel thrown in), Le Havre Rounded (2009), Le Havre Titling (2012) and Le Havre Layers.
- Look (2015). In Sans, Script, and Serif subfamilies, this super-collection blends a bit of vernacular signage with weathered letterpress.
- Lorelei (2007, Insigne) is a bouncy script family.
- Lourdes (2007) is an informal script.
- Madeleine (2007) is a basic handwriting face.
- Madurai (2012). A simple monoline sans superfamily. Madurai Slab (2013) has 54 styles.
- Mahalia (2008) is a retro script.
- Majidah and Majidah Potens (2006) are medieval scripts.
- Marintas (2012).
- Massif (2008) is an aggressive sans family.
- Mittwoch (2009, organic serif).
- Montag (2007) is a casual rounded sans family in six styles.
- Mr Darcy (2015). A Tuscan all-caps typeface.
- Mynaruse (2010; +Titling, +Royale) is another roman inscriptional titling family---it is characterized by skinny flared serifs.
- Nanumunga (2007) is a comic book style face.
- Natalya (2007) is a connected calligraphic script. Natalya Monoline (2007). Natalya Swashes (2009, calligraphic).
- Newcomen (2008) is a 4-style roman titling face.
- Obline (2004, sans).
- Oita (2014). An octagonal typeface family.
- Olidia (2008) is calligraphic.
- Orewelia (2004, grunge face).
- Pauline Didone (2011, a curly didone family). Pauline (2008) is a monolinear retro script.
- Plathorn (2014). Inspired by the Wild West, this generous typeface family uses flaring in a thousand ways to recreate the feel of that era.
- Promethian (2005, futuristic).
- Quarca (2013). A 36-font sans family with a sturdy rounded square look.
- Quatie (2013). A curvaceous family: Quatie draws much of its inspiration from the industrial brawn of the railroad and the unique characteristics of Cherokee letterforms, giving it an atypical form not usually found in an industrial slab (accring to Dooley).
- Questal (2007) is a unicase serif face.
- Qurillian (2006, legible sans).
- RendtPhysic (2006).
- Ript Cure (2005).
- Sancoale (2011, an organic sans family, from Thin to Black). Sancoale Narrow (2011). Sancoale Softened (2012). Sancoale Slab (2012). Sancoale Slab Soft (2013).
- Savigny (2011). Images: Savigny Black Extened, Savigny Regular Condensed.
- Serofina (2010, a calligraphic face).
- Savory Paste (2007). Grunge.
- Shrike2003 (2003).
- Sildetas (2010, a high-contrast script typeface with tear drop terminals).
- Solitas (2015). A rounded 42-style geometric sans family.
- The sans family Sommet (2008; see also Sommet Rounded (2008), Sommet Slab, 2010, and Sommet Serif (2011, a wedge serif family)) is futuristic. Sommet Slab Rounded (2011).
- Sovba (2009, upright italic).
- Steagal (2013). A geometric sans with a 1930s American feel.
- Stefania (2007) has two calligraphic/chancery styles. Its aged version is called Stefania Antique (2008).
- Stratham (2007) is a medium to black family of legible sans faces.
- Terfens (2007) is an informal and quite rounded sans serif with inspiration from chancery scripts like Stefania.
- Torcao (2013). An elliptical anthroposophic typeface family.
- Valfieris (2006). Valfieris Aged (2007) imitates medieval printing.
- Xalapa (2008) is a grunge family.
- Yevida and Yevida Potens (2006, scripts).
- Youngblood (2008, +Youngblood Antique, 2010) is non-connected.
Catalog of their typefaces. View Jeremy Dooley's font library. View Jeremy Dooley's typefaces. [Google]
Nashville, TN-based creator of the decorative typeface Radiant Tea (2013). [Google]
During his studies in Memphis, TN, Jeffrey Nguyen created a formal display typeface (2015). [Google]
[Insigne Type Design Studio (was: Dooley Type)]
Nashville, TN-based designer of the thin modular typeface Brooklyn (2012). [Google]
Clarksville, TN-based creator of Bip Map (2013, pixelish typeface). [Google]
During his studies at the Memphis College of Art, Jordan Jackson created several typefaces using FontStruct: Woodshop (2013), Over The Lap (2013), Window Experimental (2013). [Google]
Joyful Heart Designs
Font links by Jenn, from Tennessee. [Google]
Chattanooga, TN-based creator of an art deco alphabet and a modular experimental typeface in 2013. Home page. [Google]
Chattanooga, TN-based designer of a modular 3d typeface (2014). [Google]
Nashville-based designer of an unnamed flourished typeface. [Google]
Katie Dexter (Type Design Inc) made the connected handwriting font Mezzanine (2009). She is a graphic designer and illustrator in Chattanooga, TN. [Google]
During her studies in Murfreesboro, TN, Katie Stephens designed the slab serif typeface Cairo (2015). [Google]
Tennessee-based creator of the handwriting font Kellye's Handwriting (2009, Fontcapture). [Google]
Tennessee-based designer of Jasmin 1.0 and Jasmin 2.0 at Garagefonts. FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Koi was born in nashville, TN, in 1979. From the MyFonts site: The artist Koi incorporates abstract calligraphy into mixed media pieces. She also creates calligraphy from traditional and original hands, or alphabets. She creates original brush and nib designs for !Exclamachine Foundry, including Lestatic Lashed. [Google]
During her studies at Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN, Laura Bennett designed a constructivist typeface (2012). In 2014, she designed Egidio. [Google]
Graphic designer and illustrator in Knoxville, TN. Creator of Halloween Typeface (2014). Behance link. [Google]
Louis Dorman grew up in Missouri and lives in Nashville, TN. In 2014, he created the scratchy typeface Ozarks. Dafont link. [Google]
Mark Mabry runs the design firm Mabry Creative in Nashville, TN. In 2013, he published his forst font, the blood brush hand-printed caps typeface Bloody Nose (2013). [Google]
Author of American Metal Typefaces of the Twentieth Century (New Castle, Delaware, Oak Knoll Books, 1996), which describes every known American typeface designed and cast in metal during the 20th century. See also here and here. M.F. McGrew (1912-2007) was also the author of over 300 articles on typography, which ran in trade journals. He wasd born in Chattanooga, TN, grew up in Pennsylvania, and died in Pittsburgh. His 500-strong book collection was donated to The Museum of Printing in North Andover, Massachusetts, near Boston, where the public can consult them. [Google]
During her studies at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, TN, Nashville, TN-based Marissa Vaughan created the display typeface simply called Digital Alphabet (2013). [Google]
Matt Patteson (Knoxville, TN) created the custom sans typeface Inpexia (2012). [Google]
Matthew Austin Petty
Michael D. Adams
Michael Paul Young
Born and raised in Tennessee, Michael Paul Young currently calls Bangkok, Thailand home. He founded, managed and directs daily the online design shop YouWorkForThem, which is located in Baltimore, MD. Home page. Creator of "Apply", a free texture tool that allows you to customize any font you wish with an array of inky splatters and sprays. In 2000-2001, he made the pixelish YWFT DesignGraphik family. With Teerayut Puchpen, he designed the ultra-fat counterless typeface Pudge (2010). In 2011, he created Motown Expanded, which was based on YWFT Motown (2009, Travis Stearns). With Michael Cina and Taechit Jiropaskosol, he created YWFT Agostina Alternate (2011).
Klingspor link. MyFonts link. Personal home page. [Google]
Nashville, TN-based creator of FontBot (2013), a typographic composition that uses Fragment Core Sans, a typeface originally designed by Shuji Kikuchi (Sugargliderz). [Google]
During her studies at the Universityof Tennessee in Chattanooga, Morgan Hampton (Nashville, TN) created a hexagonal typeface (2014). [Google]
Oscillating Type Foundry (or: OSC Type Foundry)
OSC Type Foundry, or Oscillating Type Foundry, located in Knoxville, TN, was started by B. J. Alumbaugh.
In 2012, OSC published Italian Throwback 3D (shadow), Italian Throwback Outline, and Italian Throwback Fill, in the style of the Italian Western typefaces of the late 19th century. [Google]
Graphic designer in Knoxville, TN, who designed Mavrik (2010). [Google]
Design student at MTSU in Murfreesboro, TN. Creator of the sans caps typeface Moon Safari (2012). [Google]
Paul J. Klein
Knoxville, TN-based creator of Ignite Me (2012, hand-printed).
Dafont link. [Google]
Knoxville, TN-based designer of the experimental monoline typeface Rail (2014). [Google]
Graduate of the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Alternate URL. Patric started Pretty in Chicago together with Su and Milan. The Pretty fonts sold via MyFonts: Nineteen Eighty Four (2005), Revenant (1995, a redesign of Bad Excuse), Commodity (2003, Thirstype: ten geometric styles), Gia (2007, 5 styles based on the NASA logo font), Automaton (2009, techno).
Patric King also designed Fast Girls (1995), Bad Excuse (1995), Gla, Smile (all available through Thirstype), and the private fonts Blechstreet, Untitled Script, 1984 (2005, constructivist, but also related to the German New Wave), 1985, 1997, Gia (at Thirstype), Atari Baby, Flex, Phoebe, Untitled, DAT, Flourish, Scribner (handwriting), food, Apocalipstick, Superwardudes, Twiggies, Handjob, Smile, Royal street (2013, grotesque).
View Patric King's typefaces.
Klingspor link. [Google]
Nashville, TN-based designer of the curly typeface Raychel (2013). [Google]
During his studies at Memphis College of Art, Rashad Worthy created the display typeface Blades (2014). [Google]
[Michael D. Adams]
Memphis, TN-based Michael Adams (Roadgeek Fonts) developed a series of (free) heavy sans US highway sign fonts in 2002: Roadgeek2000SeriesB, Roadgeek2000SeriesC, Roadgeek2000SeriesD, Roadgeek2000SeriesE, Roadgeek2000SeriesEModified, Roadgeek2000SeriesF, RoadgeekTransportHeavy, RoadgeekTransportMedium. In 2005, he extended his font collection to include UK, German and US highway signs:
Fontspace link. Fontreactor link. [Google]
- Roadgeek 2005 Series B/C/D/E/E(M)/F fonts are intended to closely approximate Highway Gothic fonts
- Roadgeek 2005 Series 1B/2B/3B/4B/5B/6B are intended to closely approximate the new fonts, and are inteded for dark-on-light background signs.
- Roadgeek 2005 Series 1W/2W/3W/4W/5W/5WR/6W are close kin to the -B fonts, but are intended for light-on-dark background signs.
- Roadgeek 2005 Transport Heavy and Transport Medium should approximate the fonts used on British highway signs.
- Roadgeek 2005 Engschrift and Mittelschirft should approximate the fonts used on German highway signs.
- Roadgeek 2005 Arrows 1&2, Icons, and SignBacks are intended to help you in approximating U.S. highway signs, and are based on sign specifications from the Nebraska online MUTCD/SHS manuals.
Robbie de Villiers
Chattanooga, TN-based creator of a geometric experimental typeface in 2013. [Google]
During her studies in Chattanooga, TN, in 2013, Stephanie Fast created an experimental typeface by using only three design elements---a straight line, an arc, and a rounded rectangle. [Google]
Student of graphic design at the University of Tennessee in Chattanooga, TN. She created the art deco typeface Kilogram (2011). [Google]
Sweet Little Muse
Bree Votava (Sweet Little Muse, Nashville, TN) created the great hand-drawn poster fonts Thinster (2014), Briley (2014), Harper (2014) and Everlie (2014).
Creative Market link. Instagram link [Google]
Graphic designer in Chattanooga, TN. Her Behance page seems to suggest that she designed some typefaces for CD covers in 2009. [Google]
Thousand Type Works
Thousand Type Works is the Nashville, TN-based foundry of Bryan Levay. Their fonts, dated ca. 2011, include Equa (squarish family), Astral (art nouveau flavors), Alebin (large x-height text face), and Kilo (informal handprinting). [Google]
[Haunted House Fonts (was: Moonlighting Publications)]
Knoxville, TN-based designer of Burning Wrath (2008). Home page. Fontsy link. [Google]
Murfreesboro, TN and/or Anthem, AZ-based illustrator and graphic designer (b. 1978). Creator of Toonish (2008), a cartoon face, which in 2009 became a commercial typeface at T-26. He also made the modular typeface Machinista (2010, T26).
Dafont link. MyFonts link. Klingspor link. Behance link. [Google]
Paris, TN-based designer of a dot matrix typeface and of the modular tracy Serif (2015). [Google]
Student at Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN, in 2014. Creator of the architectural hand typeface Clean Beats (2014). [Google]
[Robbie de Villiers]
The Wilton Foundry, which started out in Wilton, CT, but is now in Chattanooga, TN), was founded in 2003 by Robbie de Villiers. It published Maker (2015, a fresh rectangle-studded techno-display typeface), Saluzzo (2015, a contemporary calligraphic stencil interpretation of Bodoni), Twine (2014, a warm rounded stencil type inspired by the Plantin typeface which in turn is based on Robert Granjon's Gros Cicero of the 16th century), Cielo (2012, a sans family with some contrast), Marcus (2012, a roman type family in the Trajan style), Typetonic (2011, techno), Skript (2011, a stencilish script), Vallassina (2011, like a child's hand), Bellezza (2010), Pagina (2010, humanist sans), Rijk (2010, calligraphic), Saycheez (2009), Chamber (2009, serif face), Ciseaux (2009), Terzo (2009, calligraphic), Werk (2009, 12-style sans family), Velouté (2008, script), Diario (2009, blackboard script), Carnegie Classic (2009, calligraphic), Ziro (2008, almost a comic book font), Suzie Q (2007, hand-printed), Brasserie (2007, connected script), Chateau (2007, calligraphic script), Pointe (2007, a blackboard script), Atto Sans (2007), Santa Cruz (2007, a serifed headline face), Marzipan (2007, a whimsical script), Spark (2007), Fete (2006, formal script), Flax (2006), Portfolio (2005), Cyan (2006, a compact serif typeface reminiscent of Trajan), Ceres (2009, related to Cyan), Cyan Sans (2006), Petronella (2006, medieval script), Pezzo (2006, calligraphic script), Canette (2006, calligraphic script), Vecta Serif (2005), Vecta (2005, sans family; also published in 2006 as Vecta DT (DTP Types)), Cinnamon (2005, children's handwriting), Cilantro (2005, fun handwriting, and its niece Hanna (2008)), Misspink (2005, stone-age simplicity), Brown Fox (2005, script), Celsius (2005, felt tip face), Plumage (2007, formal high contrast calligraphy), Plato (2005, faded roman caps), Diplomat (2006, calligraphic), Duet (2004, calligraphic; also published in 2006 as Duet DT (DTP Types)), Spark (2005), Anno Rex (2005), Hampton, SCelsius, Gluestick, Duet Bold (2005, calligraphic), Duet-Flourishes (2004), Duet2Deux, Duet-Regular (2005), Nobodi Bodoni (2005), About Face (2004, script), Benjamin (2003, a geometric sans), Paella (2005), Boondoggle (2005, curly face), Monotonose (2004), Password (2004), LoosieGoosie (2004), Pippin (2005, transitional serif), Carnegie (2004, calligraphic), LatextBold (2003), ModusBoldItalic (2003), Nantucket (2004), Nicolas (2005), Oslo (2005, a legible sans family), Sepia (faded look), Belair.
Chatype is a geometric slab serif typeface family designed in 2012 for the city of Chattanooga, TN, by Robbie de Villiers and Jeremy Dooley.
Unio (2012) is a rounded slab family designed to be sturdy and legible.
Creative Market link. Klingspor link. Home page.
View Robbie de Villiers' typefaces. [Google]
Yadira Elyse Sanchez
During her studies in Chattanooga, TN, Yadira Sanchez created the curly music note-themed typeface Yadira's Clef Script (2013) and the thin script typeface Elyse (2013). [Google]