| || |
Part of Prototype Experimental Foundry in New York City, this outfit designed the commercial Hebrew simulation font Kaiju (2002). [Google]
Sofia, Bulgaria-based designer of several unnamed typefaces in 2013. These include octagonal typefaces, as well as Hebrew, Arabic and oriental simulation typefaces. [Google]
[Juan-José Marcos García]
Juan-José Marcos García (b. Salamanca, Spain, 1963) is a professor of classics at the University of Plasencia in Spain. He has developed one of the most complete Unicode fonts named ALPHABETUM Unicode for linguistics and classical languages (classical&medieval Latin, ancient Greek, Etruscan, Oscan, Umbrian, Faliscan, Messapic, Picene, Iberic, Celtiberic, Gothic, Runic, Modern Greek, Cyrillic, Devanagari-based languages, Old&Middle English, Hebrew, Sanskrit, IPA, Ogham, Ugaritic, Old Persian, Old Church Slavonic, Brahmi, Glagolitic, Ogham, ancient Greek Avestan, Kharoshti, Old Norse, Old Icelandic, Old Danish and Old Nordic in general, Bengali, Hindi, Marathi, Phoenician, Cypriot, Linear B with plans for Glagolitic). This font has over 5000 glyphs, and contains most characters that concern classicists (rare symbols, signs for metrics, epigraphical symbols, "Saxon" typeface for Old English, etcetera). A demo font can be downloaded [see also Lucius Hartmann's place]. His Greek font Grammata (2002) is now called Ellenike.
He also created a package of fonts for Latin paleography (medieval handwriting on parchments): Capitalis Elegans, Capitalis Rustica, Uncialis, Insularis Minuscula, Carolingia Minuscula, Gothica Textura Quadrata and Humanistica Antiqua. PDf entitled Fonts For Latin Palaeography (2008-2011), in which Marcos gives an enjoyable historic overview.
Alphabetum is not Marcos's only excursion into type design. In 2011, he created two simulation fonts called Sefarad and Al Andalus which imitate Hebrew and Arabic calligraphy, respectively.
Cyrillic OCS (2012) is a pair of Latin fonts that emulate Old Church Slavonic (old Cyrillic).
In 2013, he created Cuneus, a cuneiform simulation typeface. [Google]
Type outfit in Dallas, TX, with some free fonts, some commercial fonts (BOSS fonts: 4000 fonts for 30 USD), and some typography essays on anti-aliasing. There seems to be a connection withComputer Support Corporation. It released at one point in 1996 a big CD of fonts called Arts&Letters, which I believe is related to Bay Animation. These were renamed fonts from elsewhere. About 100 fonts were at this site. A sampling of the free fonts: Amos-Normal, ArcherNormal, Asia-Extended-Bold, Banco-Normal, Barrett-Condensed-BoldItalic, CallimarkerItalic, Cane-StripedNormal, Cane-Hollow, CoffeeSackExtendedItalic, CraneNormal, Dominon-Normal, Enview-Bold, Glaze-Normal, Gorgio-Normal, Leo-Normal, Orient2Normal (oriental simulation), PennantNormal, Plank-ExtendedNormal, RoninNormal, ShalomNormal (Hebrew simulation), Tangiers-Normal, ThreeDeeNormal, WampumNormal. The list of about 2000 fonts I am aware of, all made between 1995 and 2001, is here. [Google]
Dan M. Zadorozny
Scottish designer (b. Galashiels, Scotland, 1962). He studied Graphic Design in Manchester and moved to London where he worked for eight years. He headed the Graphic Arts Department at Liverpool School of Art and Design. A professor now, he is head of the School of Design at Manchester Metropolitan University. Designer in the FUSE 16 collection (1997) of Mega and in the FUSE 8 collection of Creation 6, mechanical-looking dingbats. Designer of the Alphapeg family (2001) and Dialogue (1999, a Hebrew simulation font done with Yaki Moicho). Designer of FF Beadmap (2002, with Ian Wright). [Google]
Alan Rosenbaum's Chicago-based company offering commercial Hebrew fonts. 25 fonts for 50 USD. Hebrew Font Gallery CD. Catskills (15 USD) is a Latin font that simulates Hebrew. The Hebrew Font Gallery contains Altona, Aram Tsova, Ateret, Bodel (free), Dugi, Frank, Gader, Gefanim, Gil, Golem, Kavim, Kehuna, Livorno, Paz, Peer and Ravid. Other Hebrew fonts sold by them include Ada Light, Aharoni Bold, Aharoni Light, Avital, Chayim Bold, Chayim Narrow, Drogulin, Elisheva Light, Frankruhl Bold, Frankruhl Light, Frankruhl Text, Gonen, Hadassah Light, Hadassah Bold, Kastel, Katamon Bold, Katamon, Miriam Bold, Miriam Light, Miriam Medium, Nachlaaot, Nachlaaot Right, Rachel, Rashi, and Stam. [Google]
DStudio, or Design Studio, is run by Nikolay Dubina, a prolific type designer. He is also a graphic designer, book designer and journalistic writer. He also runs the educational web site ProDTP. Their original Latin/Cyrillic fonts are of the highest quality, and include: Werewolf (2003), Werewolf NU (2003), DS Cosmo, DS Yermak, DS Eraser, DS Showbill, DS Poster Pen, DS Progress, DS Podd Cyr, DS Down Cyr, DS Comedy Cyr, DS Japan Cyr, DS Standart Cyr, DS Zombie Cyr, NewDeli, Stylo, Scrawl, the wonderful DS Nadejda, and DS OlymPix (2001, a pixel font), DPix8Pt (2003, pixel font), DS-Diploma-Bold, DS-Diploma, DSArmyCyr, DSBroadBrush, DS Brushess, DSComedyCyrBold, DSCyrillic, DSDiploma-Bold-Outline-DBL, DSDiplomaArt-Bold, DSDownCyr, DSEraserCyr, DS Initials (ornamental caps), DSJapanCyr--Normal, DSKolovrat, DSMechanicalBold, DSMotterHo, DSMotterStyle, DS Nova Black, DSPixelCyr, DSPoddCyrLight, DS Poster, DSPosterPen, DSProgress-SemiBold, DSRada, DSRussiaDemo, DSSharper, DS Sholom (Hebrew simulation), DSStain, DSStampCyr, DSStandartCyr, DSUstavHand, DSVTCoronaCyr, DSZombieCyr, InavelTetkaCyr, NadejdaBold, NewDeli (great display font!), Scrawl, SeedsCyr-Medium, Stylo-Bold.
Direct access. More direct access. Some fonts are here. DS Century (2000).
Dafont link where one can find DS Goose, DS Motter, DS Arabic and DS Stamper. Old URL. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
At Fontgrube AH, Andreas Höfeld, a protestant pastor from Erbach/Odenwald, designed these typefaces:
- A Charming Font (with Graham Meade).
- Adam's Family (based on Addams by John Roshell).
- Annifont FG (2002) is an improvement of Annie de la Vega's Annifont (1997).
- Brinkmann (Fraktur font, 2000).
- Brubeck (2001).
- CD Numbers.
- Civitype (2013, a civilité font).
- Fanjofey and Fanjofey Leoda (2002, Tolkien-like fonts that can also be viewed as arabic simulation faces).
- Gabriele Bad and Gabriele Ribbon (2013). Old typewriter font families that are based on David Rakowski's Harting.
- Gapstown (2002, to replace Comic Sans, he says).
- Gismonda (2013, art nouveau).
- HermanDecanusAH (medieval handwriting based on the kanzleischrift of Dekan Hermann zu Soest, 1269).
- Jorvik Informal.
- Lansbury (2013, art nouveau).
- MojacaloAH (2002) and Mojacalo Relief (2013).
- PaternosterAH (uncial).
- SeferAH (2001, Hebrew simulation).
- Slim Fast (2002-2013).
- SlotMachine (no longer there, only put here for historical reasons).
- Traditio (2013, blackletter).
- Trinigan (2013, art nouveau).
- He improved Jörgen Gedeon's Vurt and calls it Tusch FG (2002).
Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. Klingspor link. Fontspace link. [Google]
Graduate of FADU, UBA (Buenos Aires), who created the hand-printed elliptical face Olam Hadash (2011), which could---I guess---be considered as a Hebrew simulation font. [Google]
Hebrew simulation typefaces
A wiki page with some samples of faux typefaces, in particular, faux Hebrew faces such as Bagel, Circumcision, and Faux Hebrew. [Google]
[Dan M. Zadorozny]
Born in Philadelphia and a resident of Texas, Dan Zadorozny's creations at Iconian. He is a prolific type designer who specializes in techno and sci-fi typefaces. Dafont link. Fontsy link. Abstract Fonts link. Font Squirrel link. His fonts in alphabetical order:
- #44 font (2002), 00Starmap (2001, pixel font), 1st Cav (2008), 2-Tech, 2nd Amendment (2007, guns), 2nd Amendment 2050 (2009, more gun silhouettes), 2Toon, 300 Trojans (2008, comic book family), 4114 Blaster (2008, futuristic), 5th Agent (2008, techno), 7th Service (2002), 8th Element (2013), 911Porscha.
- Achilles, Action-Men (2008), Action Women (2008, female outlines), Aegis (2010, Greek simulation family), Aetherfox (2013), AirCobra (2002), Aircruiser (2011, trekkie family), AirForce (planes and copters), Airstrike (2013), Airstrip One (2003), Aldo's Moon, Aldo's Nova, Alexis (2001), Alien League, Alpha Sentry, Alpha Taurus (2007, octagonal, athletic lettering), Amalgam, Americorps (2012), Anakefka (2009, ultra-fat family), Antikythera (2013, Greek simulation face), Antilles (2009, sans family), Argosy, Arilon (2008), Army Rangers (2013, octagonal), Astropolis (2009), Atlantia (2012, futuristic), Avenger (2008, futuristic).
- Babes&Bond (2009, erotic silhouettes), Babe-alicious (2002, erotic outlines), Bad Robot (2007, computer game look), Bal-Astaral, Bamf (2011, techno family), Battlefield, Beam Rider, Beastian (2011), Ben Zion (2008, Hebrew simulation), Berserker (2008, grunge), Beta Biergärten (2008), Bio-disc, Bio-discSolid, Bio-discThin, Bionic Comic (2002), Bionic Type (2002), Birds of a Feather (2007, dingbats), Block, Blood Crow (2009), Bloodlust (2011, dripping blood face), Blue July (2009), Bog Beast (2013), Brin Athyn (2008, uncial/Celtric), Bronic (2004), Bummer (2007, octagonal), Bushido (2008, oriental simulation), Butch and Sundance (2013), Buttons the Bear (2008, children's hand), Byte Police.
- Capella (2011, a wide techno family), CasperComics, Chardin Doihle (2008), a useful informal handprinting family), Charlemagne, Charlie's-Angles, Cheyenne Hand (2008), Christendom, Clubber Lang (2013, grungy), C.O.D.E.R. (2012), Colossus (2011, old chipped stone look), ComicBookCommando, ComicFX, Commonwealth, Concielian, Corinthian, Covert Ops (2012, army stencil), Coyote Deco (2007, art deco), Crappity-Crap-Crap (2007), Crime Syndicate (2013), Crixus (2011, a squarish sans that includes an athletic lettering style), Cro-Magnum (2003), CryUncial, Cyberia (like Soviet: neat Russian imitation letters), Cyrus The Virus (2012, grungy, hand-printed).
- DS Man, Daedalus (2008), Daemonicus (2012), Dan Stargate (2008), Dan'sHand, Dark Horse (nice brush font), Darkwind, Dassault (2013), Delta Ray, Demon Priest (2013), Department-K, DepartmentH, Deranian (2008), Detonator, DiegoCon (2004), Ding-o-saurs (2007), Direktor (2008, Cyrillic simulation techno), Dire Wolf (2013), Disco-Dork, Disco Deck (2005), Disco Duck, Dodger, Dotcom (2002), Drafting Board (2008), Drafting Table (2008), Dragon Order (oriental simulation), Drid Herder (2002), Droid-Lover (2008), Drosselmeyer (my favorite).
- Eagleclaw (2009), Eaglemania, Earthrealm (2013), Earthshake (2013), Earth's Mightiest (2002), Eco-files, Eldebaran (2012), Elder Magic (2009), Election Day (2009), Empire Crown (2011, blackletter), Enduro, Ensign Flandry, Ephesian (2007), Erin Go Bragh (2009, Celtic/uncial), EscapeArtist, Eskindar (2013), Eternal Knight (2013), EverettSteele'sHand, Excelerate, Excelsior, Excelsior Comics, Exedore (2008), Exoplanet (2013, techno), Extechchop (2005).
- Factor, Falconhead, Famous Spaceships (2007), FantasticCreatures, Fantazian (2003), Fantom (2009, bad handwriting), Federal Service (2011), Federapolis (2008, octagonal techno face), Fedyral, Fedyral-II, Feldercarb (2003, octagonal font), Ferret Face (2013), Fiddler's Cove (2012), Fight Kid (2009), First Order (2001), Flesh Eating Comic (2013, grunge), Flight Corps (2008, techno/pixelish), FlyingLetaherneck (2002), Force Majeure, Frank-n-Plank (2013, a wooden plank font), Free-Agent (2008), Freedom Fighter (2013, stencil), FunnyPages, Futurex Grunge (2005).
- Galant, Galaxy-1 (2008), Galaxy Far Far Away (2009, futuristic dingbat font), Galga (2008, futuristic), Gamma Sentry, Gemina (2011, sci-fi / techno family), Gemina2 (2013), Generation Nth, GeoBats (2007), GI Incognito (2012), Goalie (2008, hockey mask alphading), Gods of War, Governor, Graymalkin (2011, trekky), Grease Gun (2012), Grendel's Mother, Grim Ghost (2013), Grimlord (2009), Guardian (2008), Guardian-Laser (2008), Guardian-Pro (2008), Guardian-Shadow (2008), Gunship, Gunship V2 (2002), Gypsy Killer (2013), Gyrfalcon.
- Hadriatic (2008, roman lettering), Half Elven (2013), Halfshell Hero (2013), Hall of Heroes (2007), Halo, Han Solo (2013), Harrier (2002), Hawkmoon (2011), Hello Copters (2013: helicopter dingbats), Heorot (2009, stone age fonts), Heroes Assemble (2011), Highrise Heaven (2007, city skyline dingbats), Holy Empire, Homemade-Robot, Homeworld (2003), Homeworld Translator (2003), Hulkbusters, Hypno Agent.
- ICebox Art (2012), IWantMyTTR!, Iconian (2002), Iconified, Illuminati, Imaginary Forces (2008, mythical dingbats), Imperial Code (2003, Startrek style face), Imperium, Incubus, Incubus-Italic (2008), Incubus-Shadow (2008), Infinity Formula (2003, super techno), Infobubble, Interceptor (2008), Interdiction (2012), International Super Hero (2002), Intrepid, Iron-Cobra (2008), Iron Forge (2012).
- Jack's Candlestick (2013), Jackson, Jannisaries, Jedi Special Forces (2012), Jerusalem (1999, Hebrew font simulation)[see also here], Jetta, JettaTech, Jetway (2012, a stencil face), Johnny Torch (2012), Judge, Judge Hard, Justice (2009), Jumptroops (2003), Justinian.
- Kahless, KameraDings (2009), KarateChop (2009), Kartoons (2008), Katana, Kennebunkport (2013, script), Keystone (pixel font), Khazad-Dum (2011), Kid Cobalt (2008, comic book face), Kinex, King Commando (2011), King's Ransom, KnightsTemplar, Knock Furious (2003, dingbats), Kobold (2008, futuristic), Kondor (2013), Kountry Kodes (2008, international license plate lettering), Kovacs-Spot, Kovacs, Kreeture (2002), Kubrick (2008).
- Lamprey (2012, techno family), LandShark (2001), LandWhale (2001), Laredo Trail (2013, a Western face), Laserian, Law and Order (2005, dingbats), League Wars (2013, sci-fi stencil), Leatherface (2013), LegalTender, Legion, Liberty Island (2013, sci-fi), Lightsider (2011, Star Trekkish family), Lincoln Lode, Lionel (2009), Low Gun Screen (2008, a totally square screen type family), Lincoln Chain, Lionheart, Lobo-Tommy (2008), Lord of the Sith, Loveladies, Low Gun Screen (2008, screen face).
- Machiavelli, Mad Marker, Magic Beans (2007), Marathon-II, Marathon, Masked Marvel (2002), Masterdom (2004), Metal Storm 3D (2008), Metronauts (2013), Metroplex, MetroplexLaser, MetroplexShadow, Michaelmas, Micronian (2009, pixelish headline family), Milk Bar (2003), Micronian (2008, extensive pixel-based family), Military-RPG (2008), Missile Man (2002, futuristic), Miss Amanda Jones (2004, brush style), Mobile Infantry, Modi Thorson (2013, techno), Monsterama (2011, scary face), Moon Dart (2008), Morse Kode, MorseNK, Movie Gallery (2008, dingbats), Mrs. Monster (2013, Halloween brush font), Mystic Singler (2008, rough brush face).
- Nathan Brazil (2013, art deco), National Express (2003), Native Alien, Nemesis Enforcer (2013), Neo-Geo (like the letters on the Neon cars), Neuralnomicon, Nick Turbo (2001), NifeFite, NifeFiter, NifeFites, Nightchilde (2013), Nightrunner (2008, sci-fi), Nightwraith (2011, techno family), Ninjas (2002), NoloContendre, Nostromo, Nuevo Passion (2013), Nyet (2002, Soviet letter simulation).
- Oberon, Oberon-Deux, Obsidiscs (2003, dingbats), Oceanic Drift (2013), October Guard (2013, Cyrillic simulation face), Odinson (2007, runes), Olympicons (2003), Omega 3 (2010, futuristic), Omega Force (2013, octagonal / mechanical), Omega Sentry, OmniGirl (2003, techno), Opilio (2012), Opus Magnus (2013, metal band font), Oramac (2004), Ore Crusher (2013), Outlands-Truetype (2001), Outrider (2013), Ozda (2011, a fat techno family with several horizontally striped styles), Ozymandias.
- Psyonic VII (2012), Pandemonious Puffery (2002), Parker's Hand (2002, handwriting), Perdition, Peregrine, Phaser Bank (2008, techno), Philadelphia, Philly Dings (2003), Piper Pie (2007), Pistoleer (2011), Planet N, Planet S, Planet X, Player 1 Up (2012: architectural family), Police Cruiser (2013), Postmaster, Power Lord (2011), Presley-Press (2007), Press Darling (2012), Procyon, Prokofiev (2009, rounded and squarish), Promethean (2008), Protoplasm, Prowler (2013), Pseudo Saudi (1999, Arabic simulation), PuffAngel, Pulse Rifle (2009), Pyrabet.
- QTs (2013: erotic silhouettes), Quake-&-Shake, Quantum of Malice (2013), Quark Storm (2013), Quartermain (2002), Quasitron (2009, futuristic), Quatl (2002, an Inca font), Queen&Country (2009), Quest Knight (2009), Questlok, Quicken (2013, horizontal stencil), QuickGear, Quickmark (2004), QuickQuick, QuickStrike, QuickTech.
- RCMP, RadZad, Radio-Space, Raise Your Flag (2013), Realpolitik, Rebecca, Rebel Command (2012, Star Trek family), Redcoat (2008, blackletter), Red Rocket (2011, techno), Regulators, Replicant, Repulsor (2013, pixelish), Rhalina (2011, a nice upright script), Righteous Kill (2009), Robotaur (2008), Rocket Junk, Rocket Type (2002), Rogue-Hero, Roid Rage (2003), Ro'Ki'Kier (2008), Rosicrucian (2009, stone age font), Rubber Boy (2013, poster font family).
- Sable Lion (2002), Sagan (2008, futuristic), Scarab, ScarabScript, Sci-Fi (2008), SDF (2013), Sea-Dog, Searider-Falcon (2008), Secret Files (2011), Sever, Shining Herald (2013), SisterEurope, Snubfighter (2009, sci-fi), Soldier (2011), Sound FX (2003), Soviet, Space Cruiser, Space Junker, Space Ranger (2013), SPQR (2008, grunge roman), Spy Agency (2012), Spy Lord (2001), Starduster (2011), Starfighter, Star Navy (2009: dingbats), Strikelord (2011, trekkie family), Stuntman, Subadai Baan (2013), SuperUltra911, Superago (2002).
- Talkies (2008, dingbats), Tarrget (2013, based on the Tekken "Tag Tournament" logo), Taskforce (2008), Tauro (2012), Tele-Marines, Terra Firma, Texas, Texas2, TheRifleman, The Shire (2009), The Shooter (2012: gun dingbats), Thundergod, Thundergod II (2013), Thunder-Hawk (2011, an aviation techno face), Tigershark (2013), Timberwolf (2011), Time Warriors (2007), Tool (2012, dingbats of tools), Toon Town Industrial (2005, comic book font), Tracer, Trajia (2008, a techno/stencil/athletic lettering family), Traveler (2008), Travelicons (2009), Travesty (2003, scrawly handwriting), Trek Trooper (2008, Startrek font), Trigger Man (2013, octagonal and mechanical), Trireme (2011, Star trek family), Tristram (2008, uncial), Troopers (2011, futuristic), Trueheart (2009, Celtic), Tussle (2002), Typeecanoe (hand-printed), Typhoon (2013).
- Uberholme, Uberholme Lazar (2001), UFO Hunter (2009), Ultra 911, Ultramarines (2013), Unisol, UniversalJack, Uno Estado (2009, constructivist), U.S.A., USArmy, US Army II (2013), US Marshal (2012), US Navy (2007), U.S.S. Dallas (2008), Usuzi.
- Valerius (2009, uncial), Valkyrie (2008), Valley Forge (2008), Vampire Games (2001), VariShapes (2001), VideoStar, Vigilante Notes (2003), Vilmos Magyar, Vindicator (2012, techno), voxBOX, Voortrekker Pro (2009: octagonal and athletic lettering family), Vorpal (2012: sci-fi stencil face), Vorvolaka (2013), Voyage Fantastique (2013), Vyper (2008, futuristic stencil).
- War Eagle (2009), War Machine, War Priest (2012), Warrior Nation (2011), Wars of Asgard (2009), Watchtower (2012), Weaponeer (2008, military lettering), Were-Beast (2008), Wet Works (2013, grungy stencil), Whatafont, Ensign Flandry (2003), Whiskey Bravo (2003), Wildcard (2011, Star trek family), Wimp Out (2004), Wolf's Bane (+II, +Super-Extended, 2013), Woodgod (2013), Worldnet (great wordly O), Write Off, Writer's-Block, WyldStallyns.
- Xaphan (2003), XCryption (1999, a hacker face), XPED, Xcelsion (2002), Xenophobia, Xephyr, Xeppelin (2005, zeppelin dingbats), X-Grid (2008), Xiphos (2007), Xoxoxa, X-Racer (2012).
- Yahren, Yama Moto (2009: oriental simulation), Yankee Clipper (2011), Yay USA (2013), Year 2000, Year3000 (2001), Yellow Jacket (2002), Yiroglyphics (2004), Yorstat (oriental simulation), Young Frankenstein (2013), Youngtechs (2008, futuristic), Yukon Tech.
- Za's Vid (2001, pixel font), Zado (2002, dot-matrix font), Zakenstein (2011, caps only grunge), Zamboni Joe (2002, hand-printed)), Zealot (2008), Zee Lance, Zen Masters (2002, pixelish), Zeta Sentry (2009, techno/futuristic), Zollern (2013), Zombie Control (2013: a bloody paint drip face), Zone Rider, Zoologic (2009, animal dingbats), Zyborgs, Zymbols.
Graphic design student in Antwerpen, Belgium, who made this gorgeous faux Hebrew and faux Arabic typeface in 2004. Hrant Papazian raves about it, and calls its competitor, FF Falafel (Per Jorgensen, 2002), unsatisfying. [Google]
[Matius Gerardo Grieck]
The gorgeous fonts by London-based Matius Gerardo Grieck at this commercial foundry include: Dysthymia, Typographiction, Idiosynoptium (very very original), Arsmagna, Transhuman, Xyperformulaic, Requiem (phenomenal face!), Karoshi, Nanoscopics, Kunstware (techno font), Circumcision (1999, simulating Hebrew), CQN-Molecular, Anthropolymorphics (2000), Arsmagna, Dysthymia, Hypertexturion, Karoshi, Metastases, Netopath, Transhuman (has a katakana component), Transkryption (one of the latter fonts in the family was done by Tsuyoshi Nakazako). Great web page (but a bit slow). Some of the fonts are also available at T-26.
Another MyFonts link. Klingspor link. [Google]
JAB Font Foundry
[Joseph Anthony Bartolo]
JAB is Joseph Anthony Bartolo's foundry, located in Tarxien, Malta. MyFonts sells the hieroglyph-inspired ransom note font Hieroglyphs Nefertiti Akhenaten (2006) as well as Hebrewish (2007), a faux Hebrew face. Megre (2010) is an exercise in unusual placements of serifs. [Google]
Graphic designer in Brno, Czechia. In 2011, he created a Hebrew simulation face. [Google]
[Per Baasch Jørgensen]
Foundry in Copenhagen which sells the fonts made by Per Baasch Jørgensen: Escale (2010, humanist sans), Applejack (2008), Drakkar (2010, runic simulation face), FF Falafel (2002, simulation of Arabic), FF Bagel (2002 simulation of Hebrew), FF Holmen (2007, 19 styles in this didone family), Escale (sans). Other fonts by him include Versus (1994, his graduating project at EMSAT, Paris, a very fresh sans face).
MyFonts link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Joseph Anthony Bartolo
[JAB Font Foundry]
Juan-José Marcos García
Polish designer of the faux Hebrew face Izrael (2004). [Google]
Company founded by Doug Larson in 1994, and located in Pleasant Grove, UT. Before that, Doug was at WordPerfect Corporation. Lettering Delights specializes in scrapbook, handwriting and alphading fonts. MyFonts link. MyFonts sells the following fonts, made in 2007-2008: LD Chaver (faux Hebrew), LD Cottage (blackletter), LD Daffy, LD Castle (Lombardic), LD Christmas Ale (uncial), LD Appliquée, LD Count Fontula (a grungy blackletter), LD Absurd, LD Bohemian Filigree, and many more. The "LDJ" series is made by Jillustration. A more complete list, as of March 2009: DB Dainty Swirl, LD Bohemian Filigree, LD Honeydukes, LDJ Christmas Troll, DB Trees, DB Floridity, DB Frilly Frames, DB Animal Occasion, DB Roman Philosophy, LD Garbo, DB Flornaments, DB Post Master, LD Daffy, LDJ Flirt, DB Flower Power, LD Absurd, DB Fancy Flourishes, LDJ Exhibit, LDJ Crafty (2007), LD Lamestain, DB Borders Birthday, DB Journal Doodles, LD Dirty Drusillus, LD Unconventional, DB Circles-Frilly, DB Foliage, LD Kung Pow, LDJ Jill Bird, DB Spring Fling, LD Goober, DB Artsy, DB Girly Flowers, DB Girly Girl, DB Journaling Boxes, DB Falalalala Doodle, LD Rock Hero, LDJ Yuletide, LD Count Fontula, LD Hang Ten, LD Horror Movie, DB Bridal Doodles, DB Floragraphy, LDJ Silly Sister, LDJ Jillk And Cookies, DB Birthday Cheer, LDI Fancy Folk, LD Imagine That, TXT Bethlehem, LD Distorted Drusillus, LD Romeo, LD Ugly Duckling, DB Beach Doodles, DB Easter Bunny, DB Smartypants, LD Christmas Ale, LD Shmutz, LDJ Eccentric, LD Cottage, LD Roman Sketch, LD Flutter, LD Generation X, LDJ Whimsey, LDJ Bash, LDJ Hen Hand, LD Roman Engraving, LDJ Scribble Scriptish, DB Fleuries, DB Pit Stop, DB Post Stamp, LDJ Distressed Yuletide, LDJ Jillegible, LDJ Cool Play, LD Demure, LDJ Caper, LD Poco, LD Softy, LD This Way, DB Easter Fun Doodles, DB Family Tree, DB Fright Night, DB Frilly Paisley, DB Just For U, DB Wedding Book, LD Scary, LD Appliqué, LDJ Forever Friends, LD Castle, LDJ Jill Scratch, LD Puck, LD Chaver, DB Bugs, DB Doodledeedoo, DB Frilly Words, DB Girly Soccer, DB Once Upon A Time, DB Spooky Doodles, DB Vintage Halloween, DB 'Tis The Season Modern, DB 'Tis The Season Words, DB Buggy Christmas, DB Christmas Doodles, DB Christmas Fun Doodles, DB Circles -, DB Circles - Christmas, DB Snowflakes, LD Hoot. Additions in 2009: TXT Fat Hatch, TXT Santa Font, LD Deck The Halls, LD Heather, LD Astoria, LDJ Doodaddles, TXT Brush Script, LD Elementary, LDJ Jingleberry, LDJ Knick Knack, LDJ Sneezes, LDJ Snow Doodles, TXT Annesia, TXT Groovy Smooth, TXT Hoopla, LD Let It Snow, LDJ Ho Ho Snow, TXT Altius, TXT HunkaSpunk, TXT Jubulation, TXT Monkeyshine, TXT Long Hand, LD Painters Hand, TXT Soda Shoppe, TXT Stonewashed, TXT Antique Italic, LD Wait, LD Soccer Mom, LDJ Sweet Potatoes, Scrap Caps, TXT Romanesque, Scrap casual, TXT Scribbletti, TXT Sloppy Script, LDJ Billy Bob, LDJ Cool Cat, LD Wedding, TXT Menu Item, LD Red Hatters Hand, Scrap Twiggy, LD Lanky, TXT Modern Mom, TXT Nuptials, TXT Delicate Script, LDJ Fadoodle, LD Kiss The Cook, LD Kooky, LD Old Country, LD Remington Portable, LD Underwood 5 (old typewriter), TXT Personality, TXT Jersey, LD Wanted (Far West), LDJ Dear Santa, TXT Monique, TXT Old English (blackletter), LD Christmas Carol (blackletter), LDJ Cooligraphy, LDJ Elf writing, LDJ Friend Font, LD Harry, Scrap Brother, LDJ Squirrel Tracks, TXT Tough Love, TXT Small World, TXT Stitched, LDJ Elf Note, LD Engraved, Scrap Sloppy, LD Sidewalk Chalk, LDJ Story Stamp, LDJ Tickled Tourist, LD Little Buggy (2008), LD Platform Soul (2011).
Images of some fonts made in 2010: LD Chaplin, LD Confucius, LD Cursive, LD Cursive Flourish, LD Eleanor Ray, LD Elegance, LD Gettysburg, LD Newborn Vampire, LD Twilight, LD Werewolf. [Google]
[Manfred Klein's Fonteria]
Manfred Klein's Fonteria
Frankfurt-based designer (b. 1932) whose creative output is so large that he deserves a separate web page. His URL at Moorstation from 2000-2007. New page on him by Florian Rochler. Font squirrel link. Dafont link. [Google]
Brazilian FontStructor who created the Hebrew simulation typeface Marcelle Abigail Dip (2012). [Google]
Matius Gerardo Grieck
Page Studio Graphics (or: Pixymbols)
Page Studio Graphics is Roger Vershen's Oro Valley, AZ-based company specializing in symbols and symbol fonts, founded by him in 1986. Roger Vershen died in Tucson, AZ, in 2003.
The fonts (grouped under the name PIXymbols) include ADA symbols v.2.0, Africa, Alphabox, Alphacircle, Ameslan (ASL), Antorff (blackletter), Antorff Fractions, Apothecary, Arrows, Astrology, Backstitch, Boxkey, BoxNLines, Braille grade 2, Casual, Chalk Casual, PIXymbols Chess, Command Key, Courex (typewriter family), Crossword, PIXymbols Deco Glass (2001), Digit&Clocks (+LED symbols), Dingbats&Online, DOSScreen, Fabric Care, FARmarks (Federal Aviation Regulations lettering), Flagman (semaphore), Fractions, Gridmaker, Highway Gothic (U.S. Department of Transportation's Standard Alphabets for Highway Signs), PIXymbols Highway Gothic 2002, Highway Signs (U.S. Department of Transportation), Hospital&Safety, LCD, Linea (2002, prismatic), Luna, Malkoff (calligraphic font), Marina, Meeting, Mejicana (2001, a Mexican party font), Menufonts, Morse, Musica (instruments), Newsdots, Orchestra, Passkey, Patchwork, PCx, Phone, PIXymbolsMusica, Prescott (2001, Western), Penman (2001, connected script), PrimerD (letters with lines), Recycle, Roadsigns, Shadowkey, Signet (family), Signet Shadow, Squared, Strings, Stylekey, Tolerances&Datum, Travel&Hotel, TV List, Unikey, US Map, Vershen (2001), Xcharting, Xstitch. They also sell EPS files of all Arms of Swiss cantons, and many nice initial caps. Look also for Faux Hebrew (simulated Hebrew), as part of the Faux package that also includes Faux Sanskrit, Faux Runic, Faux Hebrew, Faux Japanese, Faux Arabic, Faux Chinese and Faux Chinese Sans.
Alternate URL. Previews at MyFonts. Klingspor link.
View the Page Studio Graphics typeface library. [Google]
Per Baasch Jørgensen
Designer of the Dagupan Downtown (2013) and Ravenia (2013) typefaces. Dagupan Downtown leans towards Hebrew simulation. Ravenia (2013) is utterly experimental. [Google]
[Page Studio Graphics (or: Pixymbols)]
Suomi Type Foundry
Tomi Haaparanta (b. Vaasa, Finland, 1967) is a Finnish type designer and art director. He created many great fonts, and founded Suomi Type Foundry in 2005. Speaker at ATypI 2005 in Helsinki. MyFonts link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. His typefaces, suboptimally grouped:
- Typefaces from 2013: Abandon (a basic sans family), This (a rounded family), Abiding (slab serif).
- Typefaces from 2012: SciFly (a free rounded sans commissioned by Flyerzone).
- Typefaces from 2011: Tow (a headline font family), Grumpy Black (Black 24 is based on the headline face ITC Grouch (1970, Tom Carnase), and the other styles are increasingly of higher contrast).
- Creations in 2010: Tenner (very plump and round, good for signage), Tart Heavy (fat slabs to drool over), That (a display family, +Open, +Irregular, +Bold), Thud (an industrial belt octagonal/mechanical family), Steelworks (a sturdy mechanical sans), Taste This (sans family), Telltale, Titillation (rounded), Tide (connected script emulating ink flow), Taffee (narrow sans), Televisio, Tournedot (a very cute and lively semi-serif headline face), Tempest, Tristan (hand-printed), Cider Script, Toffee Script (after an art nouveau face called Regina Cursive). Tonsure Script (a high-contrast connected script), Ticketbook (for movie posters), Suomi Sans (a family with special counters).
- Creations in 2009: Tar (rounded sans family), Marimekko (a slab family for a Finnish clothing company, adapted from its 1954 Olivetti typewriter roots), Vektori (monoline octagonal), Kaapeli (Tomi's take on Kabel), Suomi Slab Serif (related to American Typewriter), Marimekko Sans, Tee Franklin (gothic sans family, made for The British Vogue---check out the light weight), Tobacco (octagonal, based on drawing program emulation), Pannartz (based on a scan of a 1476 text by Sweynheim&Pannartz), Suomi Hand (FontShop), That (4-weight serif family), Talbot (connected script patterned after the Talbot car logo), Taint (modular ink trap face), Tailor (slab serif), Tink, Tale 40, Tale 20, Story 40, Story 20 (all pixel fonts), Tictac (a 3D face), Giro (done on purpose to mimic the ugly Giro d'Italia geometric logo font), Tame (rounded sans), Suomi Script, Explosion (grunge).
- Creations in 2007: Caxton Script (blackletter).
- At ITC: ITC Tetra (2005, squarish face), ITC Tomism (2005, modeled after Church Slavonic), ITC Tyke (2004, a take on Cooper Black).
- At Psy-Ops: Temporal, Torus.
- At T-26: Talmud (1998, faux Hebrew), TyrantRoman (1998, an Exocet-style face, T-26), Tumbler, Torino-Book, Tonic, Terylene, Tension, Teebone, Task-Toobig, Target (2004), Tantalus, Aged (1999), and Taper (2009, slab serif), the experimental sans families Target Recut (2004).
- At FUSE: FutuRoman (FUSE95).
- Tang (2004, an anti-inkbleed sans family done for very small point sizes).
- At Agfa Creative Alliance: Tangerine, Teethreedee, Twinkle.
- With Klaus Haapaniemi and Brian Kaszonyi: the 15-font War family in 1999-2000.
- At Linotype: TeebrushPaint LT Std (2003).
- Game (family).
View Tomi Haaparanta's typefaces. [Google]
Tilman Jersch (Studio Jersch, Berlin, Germany) created the papwer fold typeface Opaci, the paper cut font Kuts, the Hebrew simulation face Moses, and the modular rounded slab serif typeface Pionier in 2013.
Behance link. [Google]
[Type Revivals (or: SourceNet)]
Helsinki-based designer of a half Western half-faux hebrew face that one can see here (2004). [Google]
[Suomi Type Foundry]
Type Revivals (or: SourceNet)
Tim Ryan is a Thousand Oaks, CA-based type designer and font enthusiast, who has helped me out generously with font links in the 1990s. FontShop link.
His fonts are distributed by ITF and Monotype and Precision Type. Font list: AES, AcmeTR, AdmiralTR, AlpineWhiteTR, AncientTextTR, AssayTR, August family, AutomationTR, BinnerGothicTR, BinnerTR, BlackboardLinedTR, BlackboardTR, BoboCapsTR, BonGuia, Bondage-Oblique, Bondage-Regular, BoomerangTR (1995, a typical art nouveau face), CameraStencilTR, CartoonPartyCapsTR, ChopinTR, CiviliteTR, ClaudiusTR, CollegeCapsTR, CoreDumpTR, DirectionTR, EclipseCapsTR, EngravedTR, ExpressTR, FlairTR, FrenchCapsTR, GabrielleTR, GaelicCapsTR, GoudyMediaevalTR, HelvinBlackTR, HelvinTR, HostessTR, KhayyamTR (Arabic simulation face), KiddoKapsTR, KleukensTR, LadyDawnTR, MaximeTR, ModTR, PencilCapsTR, PlayBlocksTR, SaltinoTR, SansPlateCapsTR, SchoolScript-Bold, SchoolScript (1994), SchoolScriptDashed, SchoolScriptLined-Bold, SchoolScriptLined, ShalimarTR (Indic simulation), ShalomTR (Hebrew simulation), SimplexTR, SpringtimeTR, SukiakiTR (Japanese simulation), SusieQTR, VarianteInitialsTR, WashingtonTextTR, XerxesTR (Greek simulation face, now at Monotype), SchoolOblique.
Santa Barbara, CA-based SourceNet used to market school fonts, ca. 1992-1994, such as those listed above: SchoolScript-Bold, SchoolScript (1994), SchoolScriptDashed, SchoolScriptLined-Bold, SchoolScriptLined, but also DnealianCursive, DnealianCursiveLined, DnealianManuscript, DnealianManuscriptLined. [Google]
Designer with David Crow of Dialogue (1999, a Hebrew simulation font done with David Crow). [Google]