| || |
A. Pat Hickson
Designer for ITF, most of whose fonts were published by Red Rooster. List (all ITF/Red Rooster unless otherwise specified):
MyFonts link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
- Alghera (1996): hand-printed, based on a handwritten Portuguese wine label design.
- Alys (1995): Calligraphic.
- Appleyard (1992): based on an old Monotype design, Prumyslava.
- Badger (1992): comic book style. In 2010, this was Steve Jackaman and Ashley Muir as Badger Pro.
- Basset, Basset Five, Basset Four, Basset One, Basset Six, Basset Three (1997): headline family.
- Bellini (1992): a garalde typeface based on Progreso (1923, Richard Gans Foundry). See Veer, where the font is sold as "Bellini". Linotype sells Greco (DsgnHaus, 1996) which according to some typophiles really is Progreso.
- Byron (1992): calligraphic.
- Coliseum (1992), codesigned with Julie Hopwood.
- Dundee, Dundee Condensed (1993), inspired by the various headlines used in children's comic books in England, published by D.C. Thompson of Dundee, Scotland.
- Erasmus (1992): based on a design of Sjoerd Hendrik de Roos, 1923, Amsterdam Foundry.
- Forum Titling (1994): based on the Frederick Goudy design first shown in 1912, which was produced as a foundry typeface by Lanston Monotype in 1924.
- Gilmore Fahrenheit and Gilmore Sans (1992): ugly faces based on Eric Gill designs.
- Grove Script (1992).
- Javelin (1994): a connected fifties diner typeface in the style of Continental Railway Magneto Bold, Parkway Hotel, Permanent Waves, and Raceway.
- ITC Mona Lisa (ITC, 1992, and Elsner&Flake, 1991), ITC Mona Lisa Recut (ITC, 1991): an interpretation of a 1930 tall modern type by Albert Auspurg for Ludwig&Mayer.
- Rivoli Initials. Based on the William T. Sniffin design for ATF, circa 1928.
- Roller, Roller Shadow (1997): based on Iberica by Carlos Winkow for Fundicion Nacional, ca. 1942.
- Sinclair Script (1992).
- Stirling (1992).
- Venezuela (2000, Red Rooster) is a decorative Mexican simulation font based on the typeface Vesta by Albert Auspurg, circa 1926.
- Heseltine (2014) was designed by Paul & Pat Hickson in Text & Titling weights. The Heseltine typeface family was originally produced as a gift from Haymarket Media Group to Lord Heseltine for his 75th birthday
AArrgghh! Typefaces used to offer shareware fonts by Jonathan Smith (Cleveland, OH) of Rhode Island Soft Systems: New Land Contour, All-Hearts, Bunny-Lips, Confetti, El-RioLobo (1993, Mexican simulation face), Elbjorg-Script, Essential-Times, Firey, Glifik, Gyptienne (hieroglyphics), Hero-Outline, Hirosh (oriental simulation face; an exact copy of Sukiyaki, made in 1968 by Gene Eidy for Lettergraphicvs International), Ice-CreamSandwich, Ice-Snow, Made-InTheUSA, New-LandContour, New-LandInline, New-LandOutline, New-LandSport, Ol'54, Planetz, Porter-Lil'Kaps (gorgeous late night show display font), Religious, RockArt, Spider-WebBlock, The-Score, Wet-Paint.
Fontspace link. [Google]
Prolific type designer, b. London, 1951. Alan started working in 1970 for Graphic Systems as a lettering artist. In 1975, he joined Letraset as the Senior Type Designer and Studio Manager where he was responsible for all the artwork produced by the Letraset studio. During his tenure at Letraset, he designed over 40 popular typefaces, including Bramley, Candice, Bickley Script and Belwe. Most of these faces also showed up in the Scangraphic collection. Together with type director Colin Brignall, Alan contributed to the success of Letraset. All the original typographic artwork produced at Letraset was produced by hand cutting the fonts in Rubylith, a highly-skilled technique known as stencil cutting. Alan was responsible for training the entire Letraset studio in this art. Most of the original Letraset artwork has now been archived at St. Brides Printing Library, London. Today, Alan works independently, specializing in all facets of corporate identity including type design, typography, packaging, and development of logos and symbols.
His oeuvre (sold via MyFonts) includes:
Galadriel, Kornelia and Sparky are floating around freely in cyberspace.
- Font Factory: Chalfont (similar to Antique Olive), Brigade (classic roman), Fairway (curly sans), Copacabana (italicized roman).
- Elsner&Flake fonts: Bramley, Cabaret, Candice, Chesterfield, Einhorn (1980, Scangraphic, a revival of a 1931 typeface by H. Machler called Salut), Frankfurter (1978-1981, with Nick Belshaw and Bob Newman; for digital versions, see Farnham by Infinitype and F821 Deco by SoftMaker), Galadriel (1975; specimen; another specimen), Glastonbury, Knightsbridge, Plaza, Princetown (athletic lettering font done in 1981 based on Princetown by Dick Jones at Letraset), Rialto, Shelley, Tarragon (1981, art nouveau).
- ITC fonts: Algerian Condensed, Ambrose, Belwe Mono, Bertie, Bickley Script, Burlington (1985), Cabaret, Campaign (stencil), Cancellaresca Script (1982), Champers, Claude Sans, Dynamo Shadow (1977), Fashion Compressed (1986, Letraset: a fashion mag didone typeface), Flamme (1993), Follies (1991), Frankfurter (1978-1981, with Nick Belshaw), Glastonbury (1979), Inscription, Jazz, Lightnin' (1994), Limehouse Script (1986), Locarno (1986), Malibu (1992), Plaza, Ragtime, Regatta Condensed, Savoye, Shelley, Tannhauser (1988), Varga (1991), Waterloo Bold (1987).
- Letraset fonts: Aachen, Ambrose (1985), Belwe Mono (1989), Bertie (1985, a Mexican simulation face), Bickley Script, Burlington (1985), Campaign, Champers, Claude Sans (1988), Fashion Compressed, Flamme, Follies, Inscription, Jazz (1992, art deco), Lightnin, Limehouse Script, Locarno, Malibu, Ragtime, Regatta Condensed, Savoye (1992), Tannhauser, Varga, Waterloo Bold.
- Linotype fonts: Aachen, Algerian, Belwe Mono, Bertie, Bickley Script (1986), Bramley, Burlington, Cabaret (1980), Campaign, Cancellaresca Script, Candice, Champers (1991), Chesterfield, Claude Sans, Dynamo, Einhorn, Fashion, Flamme (script), Follies, Frankfurter, Galadriel, Gill Display Compressed, Glastonbury, Inscription (1994), Jazz (1992), Kestrel (1985, a connected signage script at Letraset based on Commercial Script; Ralph Unger's 2011 typeface Faulkner Pro is based on Kestrel; see also Kestrel Script (2010), Meeks's own digital version, and Subflux's BallparkWeiner), Knightsbridge, Lightnin, Limehouse Script, Locarno, Malibu, Plaza (1975), Plaza, Ragtime (1987), Regatta Condensed, Rialto, Savoye, Shelley, Tannhauser, Tarragon, Varga.
- Typefaces from 2014: Falcon Script.
- URW++ revivals: Glastonbury (2009).
- Allan Meeks collection (Cedars, PA): Colosseum (2008: 8-style Trajan-style sans), Fairway (2003), Astoria (2006, miniserifed family based on Gill Sans), Astoria Sans (2011), Brigade (2003, serif family), Chalfont (2003, sans), Copacabana (2004, based on Goudy Old Style Italic), Vatican (2005, a calligraphic typeface whose lower case is influenced by the lettering of Arthur Baker).
- Custom type: Benson&Hedges, Lilt, The Woolmark Company, Somerfield, Tarmac, Clearstream.
FontShop link. Linotype link.
View Alan Meeks's typefaces. Yet another page with Alan Meeks's typefaces. [Google]
Edinburgh, Scotland-based designer of the freeware fonts Milk (2002), Jobby (2002, grunge), Matchbox (2002), Dirty Fox (2012, nice grungy caps), Laundry Day (2011), Gorestep (2011, dripping paint font), Stylo (2011), Cable Guy (2011), Bodypump (2002), Aztec Hipster (2012, Mexican simulation typeface), Afro House (2012, tribal), Mashed (2012: a grungy stencil take on the Mash logo), Original Junglist (2012: white on black poster face), Tower Blocks (2013), and AP Digibats (2002). Many of these fonts have no punctuation.
Dafont link. [Google]
Albert Christoph Auspurg
German type designer, b. Frankfurt am Main, 1868, d. Leipzig, 1943. His oeuvre:
Pat Hickson made the aristocratic long-legged ITC Mona Lisa Recut (1990) based on Auspurg's designs. Red Rooster published his Honduras RR. [Google]
- At C.E. Weber: Start (1934).
- At Ludwig&Mayer: Aristokrat (1912), Miracle (1931, a script face), Rasse (1924), Schöndeutsch (1934), Reklame-Fraktur (1914), the gorgeous long-legged Mona Lisa (1930; digital version by Pat Hickson, 1992), the blackletter typeface Deutsche Kraft (1915), Brigitte (1935), the display roman typeface Krimhilde (1933-1934).
- At Schriftguss: Lido (1936, script face).
- At Benjamin and Krebs: Brentano Fraktur (1915-1916), Federzug Antiqua (1913), Nürnberger Kanzlei (1906), Schönbrunn (1928), Trajan Versalien (1928).
- At Genzsch&Heyse, he did Hans Sachs Gotisch (1911, revived in 2005 by Petra Heidorn; the typeface also appeared at Ludwig Wagner, where some date the Initialen style at 1902---Hans Sachs Gotisch was named after Hans Sachs from Nürnberg, 1494-1576, who was a master singer and songwriter), Domina (1929), Souverän (1913).
- At Haas: Castor (1924), Pollux (1925).
- At Trennert: Trocadero Kursiv (1927, a script font with flourished capitals). In 2010, it was extended and revived by Ralph Unger as Trocadero Pro.
- At Berthold: the peculiar Messe Grotesk family (1921-1927) and the shaded titling typeface Vesta (1926, a Mexican simulation face; for a digitization, see Visillo Adornado (2006, Nick Curtis) or Venezuela RR (2000, Pat Hickson at Rabbit Reproductions Typefoundry, aka Red Rooster)). The Messe Grotesk design was revived by Nick Curtis as Troglodyte NF (2006-2011) and by Paul Hickson as Messe Grotesk (1997, Red Rooster).
- At AG für Schriftgiesserei in Offenbach: the blackletter faces Apart (1911) and Fraktur-Kursiv (1923).
- At Schelter & Gisecke: Kolibri (1915; for a digital version of this multiline open typeface caps face, see Trochilida NF (2012, Nick Curtis)).
- At Berling: the italic open capitals typeface Berling Kortversaler.
All Free Download
Mexican theme font subarchive as part of a larger free font archive: BurritoOne, Cactus-Love, CactusSandwichFM, CactusSandwichFillFM, CactusSandwichPlainFM, El-RioLobo, FlakJacket, GringoNights, HotTamale, JIBurrito, JICAMA, JIChimichanga, JIFajita, JIMargarita, MexicanKnappett, PatternsDots, TacoBox, Taco Modern, TacoSalad. [Google]
FontStructor who made Weee (2010), Qada (2010, blackboard bold open face), Qada Treuga (2010, Mexican-themed), Queue BB (2010), Queue (2010, art deco), Tribe Lock (2010, gridded), Calcula (2010, + rounded: an LED family), Verba (2010, dot matrix face), Oldecod (2010, dot matrix face0, Polynomial semiserif (2010), Phosphora (2010, texture face), Znot (2011), Robotic Handwriting (2011), Thinkapth (2011), Endomorphism (2011), Caseda (2011), Zare Ornamental Border (2011), Spheretta 5x7 (2011, dot matrix typeface with circles), Kryptos (2014), Subpixel A (2014), aHexasegment (2015). [Google]
Art deco faces by Nick Curtis: II
Commercial art deco faces by Nick Curtis.
- Bessie Mae Moocho NF (2002). An art deco font based on handlettering found on a travel brochure for IMM Steamship Lines, circa 1927.
- Blitzkrieg NF (2011). A Lufthansa Airlines baggage label from 1936 provided the inspiration for this genuinely German typeface, with strong art deco influences.
- Blue Jay Way NF (2011). An art deco typeface inspired by Ross F. George. This typeface was used on the Beatles' original Magical Mystery Tour album.
- Boeuf au Joost (2003). Art deco based on work by comic book artist Joost Swarte.
- Boho à Gogo NF (2007): a multiline (op art?) typeface inspired by Bauhaus.
- Chalk and Cheese NF (2004). This art deco uppercase is based on 1930s lettering by French poster artist Charles Loupot (based on this art deco poster), and the non-art deco lowercase is based on 1910s lettering by German plakatmeister Ludwig Hohlwein.
- Chemin de Fer NF (2005). An art deco shadowed outline face.
- Chi Town NF (2008) is a heavy art deco creation that is based on a 1931 poster for the film The Man from Chicago.
- Coochie Nando NF (2011). An art deco shadow caps face, after a typeface called Kitchen by Milton Glaser.
- Dooijes Deco NF (2010). A 3-style art deco family in the style of Broadway, based on the Dick Dooijes tryptich, Carlton, Bristol (1929) and Savoy (1936).
- Duck Soup (2003, after a 1928 poster by Italian designer Neri Nanetti for Snob Cognac).
- Elektromoto NF (2011). This family takes its inspiration from two early Art Deco faces from Germany. The Normal version is based on Dynamo, designed by K. Sommer for Ludwig&Mayer in 1930, while the Narrow version is based on Stadion, designed by Erhard Grundeis for Die Schriftguß AG in 1929. Their common design motifs epitomize the Age of Streamline.
- Humpty Dumpling NF (2010). A fat art deco typeface based on an offering from the irrepressible M. Draim, seen in La Lettre dans le Décor&la Publicité Modernes, published by Monrocq Frères of Paris in 1932).
- Dusty Rose (2008) is an art deco typeface based on the logotype for the Dutch magazine Geillustreerd Schildersblad in 1940.
- Edgewise (2007), a quirky well-rounded post-art deco and pre-psychedelic face, uses ideas from Ryter Night (VGC).
- Ege Schrift NF (2011). a faithful revival of Ege-Schrift (1921, Eduard Ege), a mix between Mexican party lettering and art deco.
- Engel Stabenschrift NF (2008). In 1927, Ernst Engel created an art deco typeface which was revived by Nick Curtis as Engel Stabenschrift NF.
- Faerie Queen NF (2006). Based on an art deco typeface named Titania made in 1933 by Fundición Richard Gans.
- The Reed and Fox typefaces Viennese and Corinthian were combined in 2014 in Nick Curtis's digital typeface Genever NF.
- Gotham Rail Company NF (2002). Art deco based on an Italian travel poster from 1931.
- Great Lakes Shadow (2008) is an art deco typeface based on a 1930s travel poster for the Canadian pacific Railway.
- Hunky Dory NF (2014). A circus font after William H. Page's wood type Doric, ca. 1850.
- Jazzfest NF and Tinseltown NF (2009). Based on the 1932 art deco typefaces Newport and Hollywood, respectively, both designed by Willard T. Sniffin for ATF.
- Kharon Ultra (2009). An art deco typeface based on Ludlow Stygian.
- Kinkajou Stew (2003). Image of Kinkajou NF.
- Kirschwasser NF (2005). A bubbly art deco face.
- Korner Deli NF (2006, art deco).
- Kymmera Deco NF (2011). Revival and redesign of Rainbow Bass (1982, saul Bass).
- La Reyna Catalina NF (2006). An art deco face based on Aragón, designed by Enric Crous-Vidal.
- Legnano Cuneo NF and Legnano Sassari NF (2014). Italian art deco wood type.
- Linea Nera NF (2011). Based on Wolf Magin's Black Line (1976, Berthold).
- Lodewijk Gothic NF. After Elzevir Gothic (ATF, 1897).
- Luben Tunen (2008) is another art deco face.
- Madison Squared NF (2012).
- Mighty Ditey (2007): a mix between art deco and Peignot, this elegnat typeface is based on a 1970s Photolettering typeface by Richard Nebiolo called Aphrodite.
- Mogzilla NF (2007) is an ultra fat art deco face.
- Monte Carlo Script NF (2002). An art deco font based on a font called Médicis from a Deberny and Peignot catalog, circa 1920.
- Nip&Tuck (2006).
- Odalisque NF (2008, +Stencil, 2010) are art deco fonts based on Morris Fuller Benton's Chic (1927).
- OK Chorale (2003). An art deco typeface based on Carl Holmes' ABC of Lettering book.
- Orchard Street NF (2011, +Inline). A pair of art deco caps faces inspired by one of many posters produced by the WPA by anonymous artists during the 1930s.
- Pentaprism NF (2011). Part Futura, part Bauhaus, this 5-style family has multiline, inline, and other variants.
- Picture Postcard NF (2004: based on an alphabet by Alf Becker).
- Raconteur NF (2006-2008) is a wonderful art deco typeface that shouts gin fizz and high heels: it takes its inspiration from a 1923 ad for Piera Nova, designed by Hernando G. Villa.
- Quoi Chou NF (2006). An elegant and quite original beefed-up version of Bernhard Fashion by Lucian Bernhard.
- Radio Days (2008). An art deco typeface based on 1930s logotype lettering for Crosley Radios.
- Rassetta NF and Rassetta Swash Caps NF (2005). An art deco pair of faces originally designed by Willard T. Sniffin for American Type Founders in 1931 under the name Rosetti.
- Renard Moderne NF (2010). An art deco typeface inspired by Sol Hess's 1940s typeface Twentieth Century Poster.
- Resolute NF or USA Resolute NF (2009). An all caps fat headline typeface based on Morris Fuller Benton's Eagle, ATF, 1934.
- Retrorocket NF (2015). An art deco alphabet based on a French lettering chapbook from entitled Art du Tracé Rationnel de la Lettre (1934, D. Duvillé).
- Salzmann Deco NF (2011) and Salzmann Deco Deco NF (2011), art deco and Mexican-themed faces, modeled after Max Salzmann's Dolmen (1921-1922) and Zierdolmen (1922), respectively.
- Secret Agent (2003). A pure art deco beauty based on this Loupot poster from 1919.
- Ski Alpin NF (2014). An art deco typeface based on a Swiss travel poster from 1927.
- Smart Frocks NF (2008). A Peignotian face, after a shop sign in London, ca. 1930. Designer unknown.
- Stony Island NF (2011). Based on an Alf R. Becker typeface from 1935 called Chicago Modern Thick and Thin.
- Suave Sam NF (2010). An art deco typeface after a 1930 alphabet by Samuel Welo.
- Tasneem (2007) is the ultimate art deco face, originally drawn by Gustav Jensen in 1931.
- Tiny Bubbles NF (2008). An art deco typeface inspired by an alphabet in Pen&Brush Lettering and Practical Alphabets (Blandford Press, Ltd., London, 1929).
- Top Kick NF (2011). Based on Concentra, a geometric marvel with several parallel and concentric lines making up the letters. Concentra was originally published in Schriftatlas: Alphabete von A bis Z .
- Turista Gorda NF (2009). Based on Baltimore Type Foundry's Airport Tourist, which in turn was influenced by Futura Display.
Texas-based designer (b. 1981) of the grunge faces Rosebud (2010), Caged Prisoner (2010), Patriot Anthem (2010), Andalusian Trial (2009), Street Blues (2009), The New Metropolitan (2008), American Bravado (2008), Chicago House (2008), Perrymint (2008), Gridlock'd (2008), and Ascent 2 Stardom (2007-2008).
He also made Doux Papaya (2010, a dessert menu face), Brig Maven (2010, organic), Stealth Magnum (2010), Dutch&Harley (2010), Cafe Lounge 19 (2008), Beauregard (2010, +Hollow), and Mighty Gizmo (2009, outline face).
He sometimes uses the aliases The Original 19 and BGizzle Fonts. Blog. Alternate URL. [Google]
Californian designer of the grungy but interesting Mexican look typeface Taco font (shareware). [Google]
Santa Barbara, CA-based designer of the freeware fonts Printer's Ornaments, Matador, Isla Bella, Taco Salad (1994), ItalianMosaicOrnaments, and Muddy's Water.
Blake Haber is married to Michelle Dixon, who runs the foundry Dixie's Delights.
Fontspace link. Dafont link. [Google]
BluHead Studio LLC
Type design studio located in Norwood, MA, est. 2005. Fonts can be bought at MyFonts.
BluHead Studio LLC was founded in 2005 by a group of type designers, including Steve Zafarana, who founded Tail Spin Studio in 1999, also in Norwood, MA.
Steve Zafarana was senior type designer at Bitstream from 2006-2012 and at Monotype from 2012 onwards.
BluHead Studio was filling out the character sets and digitizing the font designs of New Zealand designer Joseph Churchward. These include the psychedelic Ta Tiki CW (2006), Conserif CW, Design CW (2006, geometric). Creations by Tallulah Bluhead include Soylent Blu BH (2006) and Conference Call BH (2006).
Roy Preston published the Prenton RP humanist sans family in 2006 and the comic book style families Comixed RP and Roy Hand RP in 2007.
Between 2006 and 2008, several hand-printed typefaces were published. These include Barbara Script BH (2007, after the hand of Barbara Bemiss), Ciof Script BH (2008, a felt tip pen font after Susan Ciofolo Antico), Sally Script BH (2006, after Sally Muspratt), and Joanne Script BH (2007, by Joanne Paul). Sparkle Bluff BH (2007) is a ball and stick font for children. Notebook BH (2008) is a block letter face.
In 2007, BluHead started publishing fonts by Joseph Churchward: Churchward Asia, Churchward Brush, Churchward Chinatype, Churchward Heading, Churchward Lorina (2014---the original by Churchward goes back to 1996), Churchward Maori, Churchward Maricia, Churchward Ta Tiki, Churchward Conserif, Churchward Design Lines, Churchward Freedom, Churchward Isabella (2015, a sans), Churchward Marianna (bubblegum face), Churchward Montezuma (2012, based on an Aztec-inspired design), Churchward Newstype (2008), Churchward Samoa, Churchward Supascript.
FontShop link. Creative Market link. Klingspor link.
View the BluHead typeface library. [Google]
Graduate of the Art Institute of San Antonio. San Antonio, TX-based creator of Papel Picado (2014), a decorative typeface family that contains ornamental initial caps in the style of Mexican fiestas. [Google]
An orphaned Mexican simulation font from 1996. [Google]
Freelance lettering designer from Sussex, UK, b. 1965 Rustington, Sussex. In 1987, she graduated in typography and hand lettering at the Exeter College of Art and Design. Since 1987, Carol has worked as a freelance lettering designer, producing hand-drawn and digital lettering, calligraphy and type designs for hundreds of companies worldwide. She created these fonts:
- The clean food dingbat font Delectables (1994).
- Party (1993, a dingbat font for Letraset).
- Gastropub (a blackboard typeface done for Marks and Spencer).
- ITC Jiggery Pokery (1998).
- ITC Zinjaro (1994, Mexican-style letters).
- WacWakOoops (comic book face, Agfa Creative Alliance).
Linotype link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Chilean designers of the Mexican or desert-themed typeface Jicama (2002). [Google]
Claude (Chloe) Derieppe
[Ouvrez!!! Police!!! (Claude (Chloe) Derieppe)]
Mexican style free fonts at Dafont: A Papa (Lindkvist), Burrito (1996), Cactus Love (Spork Thug Typography), Cactus Sandwich (FontMesa), El Hombre (Chank), El Rio Lobo (1993, Jonathan Smith), Flak Jacket (deFaced), Gringo Nights (Pizzadude), Euro Guadalupe (Harold Lohner), Hot Tamale (WSI). [Google]
Photo era foundry set up in the 1960s by John McConnell and Chris Dubber in London. I could only find Pluto Outline, the art nouveau typeface Desdemona (a digital version was created in 1992 by David Berlow at Font Bureau and in 1994 by Richard Beatty; Letraset showed Desdemona in its 1981 and 1986 catalogs; the original is from the late 19th century by Karl Brendler&Soehne, Vienna), Stack, and Oxford (a multiline face) on-line. Steve Jackaman worked in the studio in Newman Street and Hanway Place, and recalled El Paso (a Western/Mexican simulation face) when he created El Paso Pro (2011, Red Rooster).
According to Wes Wilson, Face Photosetting led the way by launching a number of Art Nouveau revivals which were taken from Ludwig Petzendorfer's "A Treasury of Authentic Art Nouveau Alphabets". A selection of these, which included Arnold Böcklin, Edel Gotisch and Eckmann Schrift, were made more widely available when Letraset produced them for their dry transfer product. They published a number of books and catalogs, ca. 1976-1977: Face headline catalogue [1981/82] (1977), Specimens of Delittle's wood type, Face book of faces, Type catalogue (1976). Some of the faces were Cyrillicized, such as Bullion Shadow (1970; Cyrillic version by Victor Kharyk, 1978). Bully Pulpit Plain NF (2014, Nick Curtis) is a revival of Bullion Shadow. [Google]
Jakarta, Indonesia-based designer of the Moluccas typeface in 2014. Moluccas is an adaptation of Broadway that adds Indonesian ornamental elements that could be confused with Mexican decorative pieces. [Google]
Norwich, UK-based graphic designer, b. 1961. He created Handergus (2012, hand-printed), Baby Pirate (2008), Boneyard Army (2010) and Aztec Bouffon (2008).
In 2013, he added Clown Town.
Home page. [Google]
Michael Hagemann's creations have a 1850-1920 style or at evoke the Wild West. Font Mesa is located in Naperville, IL.
Free fonts include Cactus Sandwich (Mexican simulation face), Timepiece (originally called Tax Cut), Timepiece 3D, Magic School One and Two (2004, two Harry Potter typefaces), Wild Ride, Corleone (2001: see also here), Corleone Due (2001), MightyRapids (2001: discontinued) and the Ferrari logo font FerroRosso (2002).
Michael Hagemann's commercial fonts by year of production:
- 2001: La Mesa (2001), Maverick's Luck (2001), Desperado (2001), Rio Mesa, Maverick's Luck (based on a bank document from 1876), La Macchina (2001, Lamborghini car lettering)
- 2002: Brewmaster Modern (2002, lettering of Budweiser Racing), Saddlery and Saddlery Post (2002, Western-style caps: a revival of Minaret by Ihlenberg in 1868; Solo calls it Trocadero), FerroRosso (2002, lettering as in the Ferrari logo), Stampede (2002, a family based on lettering used in document from the Chicago, Indiana&Eastern Railway Co. in 1902), Main Strike (a Tuscan font, based on Tuscan Ornate, or Bracelet, fonts that date from before 1860), Red Dog Saloon (2002), Rough Riders (2002, great Western-style caps), Draft Beer (2002).
- 2003: OK Corral (2003, revival of Caslon and Catherwood's Italian from 1821), OK Corral Lined (same as OK Corral with layers; called Italianate Barnum by Dan Solo), Gold Standard (2003, a Tuscan font based on a few letters found on an old Gold Certificate from 1882), Gillé Classic (2004, an exquisitily detailed family based on work by Joseph Gillé, 1820's, and implemented elsewhere under the names Circus, Roma and Madame; this was originally called Home Style; some say that the original goes back to Silvestre), Rodeo Clown (2003, based on Carnival), Taqueria, Cove.
- 2004: Bronc Stomper, Open Range, Saloon Girl, Miss Scarlett (2004, Gone with the Wind poster lettering), Open Range, High Noon, Draft Beer Classic (2002-2005, connected 50s script), High Country, American West, West Wind, AmericanPop (Coca-Cola font).
- 2005: Rodeo Roundup (2005, rope font; Solo called it Rope Initials), Algerian Mesa, Conestoga (circus font), Rough Riders (a nice Western font based on the logo of the Beach Creek Railroad Company in the 1860s), Rough Riders Redux, Mesa Pointe (2005, pointing hands, from 19th century sources), Black Pearl (2005, an ornamental blackletter typeface based on an original from ca. 1860; it has two beautiful manicules; some say it is based on an 1860 font called Rimmed Black by West, published by Farmer&Little), Saloonkeeper (2005, inspired by the Leinenkugels brewing label), Wanderer (2005, inspired by the title logo of the TV show The Wild West), Lynchburg (2005, inspired by the Jack Daniels Green Label Whiskey logo).
- 2006: Flat Rock (a revival of Inverted Shaded by Julius Herriet, done at Conner in 1886; Solo calls it Big Cat), Livery Stable (revival of GlypticShaded by Ihlenburg at MS&J, 1878. See also Glyptic and Glyptic No.2, 1878), Happy Holly Day, Main Street (a Tuscan typeface that revives Soutache by Julius Herriet and Bruce, 1873).
- 2007: Birdcage (2007, after a lettering sample in Rob Roy Kelly's American Wood Type book), Lonestar, Lonestar Western, Railhead (2007: 4 styles, a revival of an 1870s type style that was originally available from both Bruce's New York and James Conner's&Sons type foundries called English Two-Line Ornamented No.4; an earlier version was English, done in 1853 by Caslon, Austin, Woods and Sharwoods; and before that, the typeface was ce=reated by a German designer in 184999999999), Flying Dutchman (2007, a revival of a MacKellar, Smiths&Jordan Co Kanzlei-style font from 1876), and Western Sky (2007, a revival of a late 1800s Italian font known as Italian Slab Fancy or Dodge City: it is Italic Ornate from Smith, 1874, MS&J). Country Western (2007, 11 styles; plus versions called Country Western Script and Country Western Swing) is a revival of the classic William Page font known as Clarendon Ornamented originally designed in 1859 and again in 1877 by Vanderburgh&Wells. Abbiente (2007) is his first foray into the world of Bodoni and Didot. Buffalo Bill (2007) is a beautiful Western style font that revives a classic from James Conner's foundry from 1888 [Solo also calls it Buffalo Bill].
- 2008: Gold Rush and Gold Spur (2008) are further Wild West style families, based on typos from the Bruce Foundry, 1865. Silverland (2008, 8 styles; a revival of Ornamented No. 1490 by Ihlenberg, 1874, Bruce) and Belgian (2008, 5 styles; a revival of Ornamented No. 1515 by Julius Herriet, 1861, Bruce) are further revivals of typefaces from the Bruce Foundry.
- 2009: Spanish Main (revival of an old MacKellar Smiths&Jordan blackletter font named Sloping Black, 1896; others mention Witham and MS&J and give the date 1869), Spanish Rose, Black Rose (spiky blackletter based on BlackOrnamented No. 532, Ihlenberg, 1873, Bruce), Bella Rose (2009, blackletter), Broadgauge Ornate (revival of an 1869 Western poster typeface by Ihlenberg at MacKellar Smiths&Jordan). Apple Pie (2009) is some sort of Bodoni Ornate---it revives and extends a William Hagar Type Foundry face, ca. 1850 [MS&J added a lowercase in 1869]. This was followed immediately by Bodoni Ornamental. Hickory (2009) is an ornamental Western face, a revival of an old unnamed font dating back to 1852 and was sold through a few different type foundries including Bruce, MacKellar Smiths&Jordan and James Conner's Sons.
- 2010: Gunsmoke is a Far West font, a revival of a James Conner's Sons font that has been around the block under different names such as Extended Clarendon Shaded, Original Ornamented and Galena [Solo called it Galena]. Night Train is another Far West font.
- 2011: Gold is a multi-style slab serif font family based on the classic Gold Rush (1865, Bruce), with the shadows removed. Images: Gold Black, Gold Thin.
- Undated: Cowboy Serenade (based on Phidian by Ihlenberg, 1870, MS&J; Solo's names: Eureka, Shaded Phidian), Gold Fever (based on Caxtonian, 1878, MS&J), Old Thunder (based on a Tuscan typeface from the 1800s).
- 2013: Great Western, Cowboy Western, Cowboy Rodeo.
- 2014: Magnum Sans.
Klingspor link. Fontspace link. Dafont link. Creative Market link. MyFonts page. [Google]
G. Alex Gonzalez
[Raul Andres Perez Canseco]
Designers of some free fonts. Raul Andres Perez Canseco (b. 1967) lives in Oaxaca, Mexico.
He created the Mexican-look poster font Talacha (2007), Square Kids (2011, white on black), Chamaco (2011, facial dingbats), Buen Chico (2011, funny dingbats), Chango Marango (2011, curly), Fayuca (comic book face), Andrea Karime (2010, a bouncy comic book style face), Appo Paint (2009), Dibujosenlinea (2007, dingbats), Aracnoide (2009, scary handwriting), Maropawi Club (2002, groovy), LCD, LCD Phone (2006, dot matrix), Overload (2011, poster font), Spider Gotic (2004), Fenix Header (2002), Corporea (2005).
Typefaces from 2012 include Efitype Reversed, Biosolid, Bioliquid and Aria Solid and Bioliquid.
In 2013, he created Papel Picado (textured typeface), Felt Pen.
Dafont link. Fontspace link. [Google]
Harold Lohner was born in upstate New York in 1958. He received an MFA in printmaking from the University at Albany and is Professor of Visual Arts at Sage College of Albany. He began making fonts in 1997 and starting distributing them the next year through Harold's Fonts. He lives in Albany, NY, with his partner, Al Martino. Originally, most of his typefaces were freeware or shareware, but gradually, he started selling most on his site or via FontBros. His typefaces:
- Famous fonts: Boom Chicka (2013: a set of three cartoon fonts inspired by the poster for the Marilyn Monroe film, The Prince and the Showgirl (1957), designed by Bill Gold), Auteur (2007, after the handwriting in the opening titles of Jean Cocteau's The Beauty and the Beast, 1946), 12 to the Moon (2000, runes based on the Columbia Pictures movie "12 to the Moon"), Aardvark Café (2000, extrapolated from the famous Hard Rock Café logo), BENSFOLK (2000, adapted from the work of Ben Shahn, in turn adapted from "folk or amateur" alphabets. Font originally developed for The Arts Center of the Capital Region.), BENSFOLK CONDENSED (2000), Bensgothic (1998), BensgothicLigatures (1998), CALAVERAS (2002, a take on Daisyland), Comet Negative (2000, based on the logo of Country Music Television (CMT)), Comet Positive (2000), HonestJohns (2000, based on the lettering in the classic Howard Johnson's restaurants logo), METRODF (2000, based on the Mexico City subway's lettering), Radio (2002, derived from the old NPR (National Public Radio) logo).
- Handlettering: Empress Monograms (2014), Frank the Architect (2004, +Bold, 2009: after the lettering of architect Frank Ching), National Archive (2009, calligraphic), Rough Draft (2009, sketched font), Greg's Hand (2009), Rudland Hand (2007, inspired by the work of the British artist and designer Peter Rudland), Gamera (2006), Directors Script (2006, based on a film credits script from the 1940s), National Archive (2005, based on the lettering of Timothy Matlack, who wrote the Declaration of Independence), Frank the Architect (2004, based on Frank Ching's lettering, which also gave rise to the Tekton family), Imitation (2003, inspired by the handlettered titles of the film Imitation of Life (1959), directed by Douglas Sirk and artdirected by Richard H. Riedel), Imitation Two (2004), antiestablishment (2000), Christmas Card (2000, based on the handlettered opening titles of the film "It's a Wonderful Life", Art Director: Jack Okey. This font was retired and replaced in 2006 by Testimonial), Espangle (2002, as the lettering for El Corte Ingles), Dad's Recipe (2000, based on his dad's handwriting), Greg's Hand (2001, Greg Smith's writing), Greg's Other Hand (2002), Kaela (1998, reshaped and extended in 2006), Marker Man (1999), Synch (2000, with Phil Campbell, inspired by the work of the artist Stuart Davis), Synchronous (2000, based on Syncopated Script, again made with Phil Campbell), Syncopated Script (1999).
- Blackletter: Waldorf Text (2011, after a 1914 original), Waldorf Heavy Illuminated (2011), Manucrypt (2011), Rude Goth (2007, grunge blackletter), Alsace-Lorraine, Benighted, Chinese Gothic, Christmas Card II, Kombine Regular, Kombine Kursiv (2000), Olde Chicago.
- Woodtype: Blacktops (caps, 1999), Blacktop Small Caps (1999), Blacktop Regular (2014), Cinderella (1998). The Western font Cattle Annie (2006) is an unauthorized digital interpretation of the analog font "Les Catalanes." According to ABZ: More alphabets and other signs by Rothenstein and Gooding, it was designed in 1952 by Enric Crous-Vidal (1908-1987) but was never produced.
- Stencil fonts: JJ Stencil, JJStencilLight (2000, inspired by the work of Jasper Johns), JJStencil Wet, JJStencilMedium, Sideshow (2000, based on the stencilled lettering on a vintage Ouija board), JJStencilSolid (2003), StencilFour (2001, inspired by the logo of Channel 4 (UK); reworked in 2006 into Oaktag), StencilFourReversed (2001).
- Western: Oklahoma (2006, based on the title of the film by that name), Captain Howdy (1999, 2000, Western font based on the lettering on a Ouija board).
- Fraktur fonts: Benighted (2002), AlsaceLorraine (2000), Chinese Gothic (2000), Kombine Regular (2000), Kombine Kursiv (2000).
- Revived Letraset fonts: BLOCK UP family (2000, based on the font family by the same name by Sally Ann Grover (1974) for Letraset), Good Vibes (2001, based on the analog font "Good Vibrations" by Trevor Hatchett for Letraset, 1973), GoodVibesBackbeat (2001), ObliqueTextBold (2000, based on a Letraset font called Obliq, 1984), ObliqueTextLight (2000), ObliqueTextMedium (2000), Wireframe (2000, based on the Letraset font Bombere designed by Carla Bombere (or Carla Ward)).
- Art deco fonts: Cartel (2005, simply gorgeous), based on the lettering of the 1936 movie by that name), Crazy Harold (2009), Road Jester (2009), Onion (2003), Roberta (2003, based on a font of Bob Trogman, 1962), Roberta Raised Shadow (2003), Boomerang family (1998-2000), LeFilmClassic family (2000, based on the classic Art Deco font of the same name, originally designed by Marcel Jacno and released by Deberny&Peignot, 1927), LeFilmLetters (2000), LeFilmShadow (2000), PopUps (1998, a 3-d art deco font for signboards), Tapeworm (1998, based on the work of artist Ed Ruscha), Farouk (2001, a five-line art deco font, based on an analog font of the same name, as illustrated in Paul E. Kennedy's "Modern Display Alphabets"; in fact, the original source should be Fatima, a font designed by Karl Hermann Schaefer in 1933 at Schriftguss, and a copy of it at FT Française was called Atlas (1933). Lohner renamed Fatima to Atlas at some point, and added Atlas Solid, still in 2001).
- MICR fonts: CMC7 (1998).
- Dingbats: Everyday People (2013, silhouettes), Bingo Dingo (2011, inspired by the classic Mexican game, Loteria), Essene Dingbats (2005), Chapeau (2005, inspired by the 1902 Sears Catalog), Corset (2005, inspired by the 1902 Sears Catalog), Harold's Pips (2004), Alpha Bravo (2003), Rebus, AmericanCheese (1999), Candide Dingbats (1999, a reclinming women dingbat typeface based on decorations designed by Rockwell Kent for "Candide," circa 1928), Maritime Flags (2000), New Year Dingbats (1999: Japanese patterns).
- Monospace fonts: Chica Mono (2000, based on Apple's Chicago; not really monospaced, by the way), Queer Theory Black, Bold, Regular and Light (1999).
- Arabic simulation faces: Alhambra (2006), Alhambra Deep (2006).
- Oriental simulation fonts: Bruce Mikita (+Solid) (after a metal font by the same name; Dan Solo calls it Lantern), Pad Thai (2006), Mystic Prophet (2002, inspired by Ouija boards), Chines Gothic, Font Shui (inspired by a style of hand-lettering illustrated in Alphabets: Ancient&Modern, compiled by J. B. Russell (Padell, 1946), Rubaiyat Shadow and Inline, Seoul (Korean font simulation), Shazi, Twelve to the moon, Chow Fun (2001, an oriental simulation typeface based on a sample of hand lettering identified as "Crooks' Stencil Designed Alphabet" in Alphabets: Ancient&Modern, compiled by J. B. Russell and published in 1945 by Padell Book Co), Quasi (1998).
- Cartoon fonts: Laughtrack (2009, based on the work of the cartoonist Jerry Robinson), CokerOne (2000, based on the work of cartoonist Paul Coker Jr), Coker Two (2000) (note: therse fonts were erroneously named. They were renamed to Denney because of this: "The lettering in the fonts you have was developed by Alan Denney at Hallmark in the late 1950s. He also worked for American Greetings Hi Brows from 1960 - 1966 and then returned to Hallmark.... And he later went to a different lettering style when Shoe Box cards became Hallmark's funny card line replacing Contemporary Cards. Alan retired from Hallmark in 1993 and died two years later."), ZITZ (2000, based on the hand lettering in the King Features daily strip "Zits" by Jim Borgman and Jerry Scott), Ohmigosh (2007: 12 styles of comic book lettering).
- Dot matrix fonts: Fortuna Dot (2001).
- Pixel fonts: Larcher (based on a modular font designed by Jean Larcher).
- Medieval script fonts: Sonnet Italic&Swash (2009), Galathea (2000, based on a classic analog font of the same name, "Originalerzeugnis von J. S. Schelter&Giesecke, Leipzig").
- Fonts made in 2015: Roberta 9after Bob Trogman's art nouveau font Roberta, 1962).
- Fonts made in 2013: OK Monograms (retro-futuristic), Splunge (based on Franklin Gothic).
- Fonts made in 2012: Humerus (Halloween font inspired by the opening credit sequence of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, 1948), Retrospace (inspired by the hand-lettered opening credits of the film Some Came Running (1958)), Toynbee Idea (free font based on Toynbee tiles), Hymn (scanbat).
- Fonts made in 2011: Institute Stamps (grunge), Magic Carpet, Shoemaker (shoe stitch face).
- Fonts made in 2010: Salmagundi (grunge), Dynamotor (like Dynamo, which was designed by K. Sommer and first released in 1930), Poignant (inspired by the hand-lettered film titles of certain mid-1900s films from Twentieth-Century Fox, including "All About Eve", "Gentleman's Agreement" and "No Way Out."), Pharmacy MMX (unicase), Karta (3d face), Flores MMX.
- Fonts made in 2009: Wexley (revival of a VGC font called Wexford), Sonnet (based on the printed text of Shakespeare, 1609), Fashion Brush, Fashion Script, Imitation One, Two, and Three, Generation B (all at Font Bros), Gainsborough (2009, an art deco typeface inspired by the hand-lettered titles of an Alfred Hitchcock film, The Lady Vanishes (1938)), Comfy (FontBros: inspired by an example of "Pinselschrift" (brush lettering) by Wilhelm Dechert), Sirena (FontBros: inspired by the hand-lettered opening titles of the film I Married a Witch).
- Fonts made in 2008: Alumino (inspired by Saul Bass's design for the aluminum company Alcoa), République (four fonts inspired by Paris Metro signs---not the familiar Art Nouveau "Metropolitain" signs, but the later Art Deco design by Adolphe Dervaux), Handbill (based on rubber stamps), Flash Mob, Pen Script Monograms, Royal Wedding (commercial set at Font Bros), 2 Clover Monograms, 4 Heart Monograms, Silverliner (based on the opening titles of the 1951 Hitchcock movie Strangers on a Train), Tricot (lettering as done on a sweater, after a design by Nancy Stahl), Silverliner (based on the opening titles of the 1951 Hitchcock movie Strangers on a Train), Carbon Copy, Bracelet Mongrams.
- Fonts made in 2007: Aeolian, Pub Bites, Barril and Barril Doble (a digital interpretation of the 1970s Neufville font Barrio), Circle Monograms, XOXO (grunge), Safety Pin (inspired by the cover of the June 1946 Ladies Home Journal), Swizzle Script (a script based on Stylescript, 1940, Sol Hess: compare with Coronet and Trafton), New England (script), Madfont (after MAD magazine's logo), Quince (a brush version of Klumpp's Murray hill), Plumber's Gothic, Gamera.
- Fonts made in 2006: Humdinger (comic book lettering), Stella Dallas (a Koch Antiqua style typeface based on he hand-lettered titles of the film Stella Dallas), Foam Light, Mean 26 Sans, Mean 26 Serif, Gaudi, Lapis Lazuli (3 calligraphic fonts based on Dan X. Solo's Papyrus), Garden, Boston Line and Philadelphia Line (inspired by Boston Line Type, developed in the 1830s by Samuel Gridley Howe for use in raised-letter printing for the blind; the Philadelphia Line fonts were inspired by another raised-print font, this one developed by Julius Friedlander and adopted in 1837 by his Philadelphia school, now the Overbrook School for the Blind), Honeymoon (a script based on the Holiday Inn lettering), Blooper and Bloop Script (after Cooper Black and Brush Script), Roman monograms.
- Fonts made in 2005: Don Semiformal, Fabulous Prizes, Valentin (inspired by the work of Valentin Haüy, creator of the first books for the blind), Chelt Press (a grungy Cheltenham), National Debt, Pub Smooth (followed in 2007 by Pub Bites), Baronial Monograms, Vine Monograms, Thaleia (revival of Thalia), Harold's Monograms Bold, Blockograms, CarmenMonograms, Profiler, Goya, Jest, Chaser, Rebus (dingbats), Dilemma, The Birds, CVelestial Alphabet.
- Fonts made in 2004: Snowflake Monograms, Upbeat Demi, Pessima, White Birch, Artistamp, Entwined Monograms, Project, Dirty Finger, Koch Dingbats, Yard Sale, Shield Monograms, Gainsborough (inspired by the hand-lettered titles of the Alfred Hitchcock film "The Lady Vanishes", 1938), Jim Dandy (an interpretation of the 19th century typeface Jim Crow), Gaumont (based on the hand-lettered titles of the film The 39 Steps (1935), a Gaumont-British Picture, directed by Alfred Hitchcock), Imitation2, Sunset, Bend It, Pretz, Cantabile, Echo, Skidz, Columbia Stamp, Trudeau Sans (a companion of his architectural typeface Trudeau), Frank the Architect (2004, a Frank Ching-inspired typeface not unlike Tekton).
- Fonts made in 2003: Card Characters, Pieces, Harlequin, Hexagrams&Octograms, Popstars, Level, Peace, Collegiate Monograms, Bead Chain, Marquee.
- Fonts made in 2002: Level, Backhand Brush, Joggle, Script Monograms, Brickletter, Font Shui (oriental simulation), Heartland (for Valentine's day), Melodymaker (for music), Antiestablishment, Penmanship, RingTV, Cabaletta (now called Roosevelt), Graceful Ghost (caps based on an 18th century French design by Pouget&fils), the Ixat family (grunge fonts), PalimpsestBlack (grunge font), PalimpsestDark, PalimpsestLight, PalimpsestRegular, Pearlie, Repent (based on the work of American folk artist Jesse Howard), WillingRace (upper and lower case together).
- Fonts made in 2001: Carmen Caps, Crazy Harold (2001, based on a font of the same name, as illustrated in Paul E. Kennedy's "Modern Display Alphabets"; extended to 8 weights in 2006), Easter Parade (brush script), Famous Label (pen lettering), FLORES (based on a florist's sign in Valencia, Spain), FONT ERROR, Guadalupe (Mexican simulation face), GuadalupeDos, HMBlackDiamondThree, HMBlackDiamondTwo, HMBlackOvalThree, HMBlackOvalTwo, HMWhiteDiamondThree, HMWhiteDiamondTwo, HMWhiteOvalThree, HMWhiteOvalTwo, Handmedown, Hymn, KaffeehausNeon (based on Kaufmann), PubSmooth (a variant of the classic font Publicity Gothic), Roselyn (a script font based on a font in "Lettering and Alphabets" by John Albert Cavanagh), RubaiyatDoubleLine, RubaiyatEngraved, RubaiyatInline, RubaiyatOutline, RubaiyatShadow, RubaiyatSolid, SanitaryBoldCaps, SanitaryDemi, SanitaryRegular, Shazi, ShaziGhost, Subtext (grunge font).
- Fonts made in 2000: Arrobatherapy, Barbeque, Black Oval Monogram, Bruce Mikita (oriental simulation), Bruce Mikita2, Cantabile, CantabileAlternate, Celestial Alphabet, the Goya family (extrapolated from the logo of the GOYA food products company), King Harold (inspired by the lettering on the Bayeux Tapestry), KingXmas, KingXmasStars, KochQuadratFill, KochQuadrat, KochQuadratGuides, KochQuadratInline, KochQuadratOutlines, Koch Rivoli, Lab Rat, Law School (based on the architectural lettering at Albany Law School, Albany, NY, now named Trudeau, after a design by architect Robert Louis Trudeau), Milky Way (based on a style of hand lettering by Ross F. George included in 1930s Speedball lettering books), MilkyWayTwo (2001), Neurotoxin, Pharmacy, Punchhappy (holes in letters, influenced by Apostrophe's Toolego?), Punchhappy Shadow, Quarterround, Quarterround Tile (a kitchen tile font), RedCircle (based on the lettering on Eight O'Clock brand coffees), Ringpin, ScarletRibbons (inspired by a Speedball lettering book from the 30s by Ross F. George), Screwball (font in memory of Madeline Kahn), Solemnity (an uncial font modeled on the analog font SOLEMNIS by Günter Gerhard Lange, 1952), ThreePartySystemA, ThreePartySystemB, ThreePartySystemC, Vasarely (named in honor of Op artist Victor Vasarely; based on a modular font by Jean Larcher).
- Fonts made in 1999: BrideOfTheMonsterStencil, Bubble Gum Rock A and B (1999-2002), CheltPressDark, CheltPressDarkVariegated, CheltPressLigh, CheltPressLightVariegated, CheltPress, Esquivel, EsquivelEngraved, Fulton Artistamp, MADFONT, Smellvetica, SmellveticaOutline, Vedette Blanche (movie roll font), VedetteNoire.
- Fonts made in 1998: BrideOfTheMonster (caps and numbers are based on Rudolph Koch's Neuland), Cheapskate family, Dominican (coffee bean bag font), Landmark, OldeChicago (based on the Apple Chicago font), Ricecakes, SavingsBond extended in 2006 to National Debt, National Debt Hilite and National Debt 3D), StampAct, StampActJumbled, Thanksgiving, Virile Open, Virile Solid.
- Typefaces from 2011: Bingo Dingo (dingbats inspired by the classic Mexican board game, Lotería), ManuCrypt (blackletter), Waldorf Text (blackletter).
- Typefaces from 2012: Albanita (date unclear though), Curator (a compact handwriting font), Seafare (circus style face), Hardline (op art prismatic style), London (inspired by London, Susan Kare's bitmap-style Olde English designed for Apple in the early 1980s. Variations include cross-stitch, harlequin (black and white diamonds), and shaded (diagonal lines)). LI>Typefaces from 2015: Gilded Age (inspired by the opening titles of the 1952 French film Casque d'Or.
Link at Dafont. . Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
House of Lime
Free original dingbats, alphadings and fonts, mostly from scanned art by Merethe Liljedahl (House of Lime) in Landskrona, Sweden.
The font list: Abstract, Africa, African Design, African Eggs, AfricanPattern, AlphaRemember, AlphaSausage, AlphaThin, AmishQuilts, AngelsFairies, Angelsaroundtheworld, AngloText, Animal, AnimalDesign, AntiqueStuff, AntiqueStuffII, AroundSports, Aroundthehouse, ArtDecoMotif, ArtNouveauBild, ArtNouveauBlume, ArtNouveauFlowers, ArtNouveauFramesandBorders, ArtNouveauInitials (2001), ArtNouveauInitialsA, ArtNouveauInitialsB, ArtNouveauInitialsC, AsianArt, AsianArtII, BOO, BabyTime, BackToSchool (2000, pencil-themed face), Bagsandstuff, BagsandstuffII, Balloons, Baseball, Big Lou (2003, art deco), BirdStencilDesign, BirdStencilDesignII, Birdies, Bzzy (2004, alphadings), Books, Butterflies, Buttons (2006), Calender, CamelotCaps (2000), CarstensOwls, Cats, CelticElements, CelticElementsII, CelticMotif, Celtics, Cherub, CheshireInitials (2001), Chiseled (2006), ChristmasTime, ChristmasWreath, ChubbyDotty, ChubbyTrail, Cornerflair (2002), CrayolaKiddyFont, Curly Fleur Caps, DBLCeltic, DBLCorners, DBLFacesfromthepast, DBLFlowerDelight, DBLMedievalDesign, DancerInTheDark, DancerInTheDarkII, DancerInTheDarkIII, DecorativeOrnamental, Decorette, Decorina (2001), DesignMotif, DesignerCorners, DesignerCorners, DesignerDing, DesignerDividers, DesignerFrames, DesignerFramesTwo, DesignerMix, DesignerMixII, DesignerMixed, DesignerMotifs, DesignerMotifsThree, DesignerMotifsTwo, DesignerPlus, DesignerStuff, Dividers, DividersTwo, DoggyBag, DogsandCats, Dolphins, Dot Trail (2002), DoverChineseMotifDesign, DoverFloral, DoverFloralandDesignII, DoverJapaneseDesign, Dragons, Durbin Initials (2009), EasterBunny, EasterHoppy, EasterTime, EatingOut, Egypt, ElectionTime (2000), Elegance, EvelynsHeart, EvsDragons, ExtraOrnamentalNo2, FaceofaLady, Faces2Faces, FacesOfTheCentury, Faith, Fans, Fashion, FashionLadies, FleurCornerCaps (2000), FloralDesign, FloralStencilDesign, FloridVictorianOrnament, FlowerandFairyAlphabet, Folklore, FolkloreII, Fontanesi, Framed, Frames, FramesAndBorders, FramesAndBordersII, FramesAndBordersIII, FramesandBackgrounds, FramesandHeaders, Fromthegarden, Fruityandveggie, Furballs, GailsUnicorn, GardenTime, Geisha, Genzsch Initials, GermanCaps, GothicCornerCaps, GothicFlourish, GrafikText, GuinevereCaps, HalloweenKiddyFont, Hats, HatsII, HatsIII, HatsIV, HatsV, HeartsofLime, Heraldics, Horses, Houses, HousesII, Howling, Iconettes, Inmygarden, Inyourgarden, Itsserved, Jars, JustFrames, KarensKitties, KeyasTurtles, KiddyDing, KiddyFlakey (2002), KiddyFrames, KiddyHalloween, KiddyToys, KidsAlphabet, KittytheCat, Ladiesofthe20s, Leaves, LimeBlossomCaps (1999), LimeGloryCaps (2000), LisasDragons, LittleHeroes, LizsGibsonGirls, LovePoision, Maskes, MedievalAlphabet (2000), MedievalMotif, MedievalMotifTwo, MexicanMotif, MirrorImage, MosaicCaps (2000), Motif, Mousie (2000, alphadings), MoyrasParrots, Music For Your Ears (2006), MutansII, Mutants, Mythical, NavyBlues (2000, white on black buttons), OldFashionedIllus, OldFloralIllustration, OldFolksShuffle (2000), Onthefarm, OrientalDesign, OrientalIcons, OrientalIconsII, OrientalIconsIII, OrientalIconsIV, OrientalView, OrnamentalCorners, OrnamentalDecoration, OrnamentalDecorationII, OrnamentalElements, OrnamentalElementsII, OrnamentalFramesI, OrnamentalInitialsA, OrnamentalInitialsB, OrnamentalInitialsC, OrnamentalInitialsD, OrnamentalInitialsE, OrnamentalInitialsF, OrnamentalInitialsG, OrnamentalInitialsH, OrnamentalInitialsI, OrnamentalInitialsJ, OrnamentalInitialsK, OrnamentalInitialsL, OrnamentalInitialsM, OrnamentalInitialsN, OrnamentalInitialsO, OrnamentalInitialsP, OrnamentalInitialsQ, OrnamentalInitialsR, OrnamentalInitialsS, OrnamentalInitialsT, OrnamentalInitialsU, OrnamentalInitialsV, OrnamentalInitialsW, OrnamentalInitialsX, OrnamentalInitialsY, OrnamentalInitialsZ, OutOfAfrica (2000), Paisley, Paisley Caps, PaisleyII, Party (2004, Mexican simulation face), Pentagon (2003, Western face), PhilliBoo, PokemonKiddyDing, Retro Elite (2003, art deco), RibbonCaps, Rose, Rosegarden, Scary, Scary House, Scrapper's Arrows, ScrappersCorner, ScrappersElements, ScrappersElementsII, ScrappersElementsIII, ScrappersElementsIV, ScrappersElementsV, ScrappersKeys, ScrappersStencil, ScrappingDoodles, Scream, Sealife, September11, Shaking Salsa, Ships, SimplyFriends, Skeleton, Smelly, SomeoneSpecial, Spiders (2001), SplatterCaps, Spooky, Sporty (2004), Spring (2003, Victorian ornamental typeface), Square Frame (2006), Stamped Flowers, Starlite, Stars, Stencil, StripesCaps (2000), SugarFootStrut, Sun and Moon, Sunflowers, Sunny Days (2004), SunshineKiddyFont, Tattoo, TheGoddess, ThePerfectMan, ThemeCorners, TiffanyCorners, TiffanyCornersII, TiffanyCornersIII, Tiles, Tools, TraditionalFloralDesign, TraditionalFloralDesignII, TraditionalFloralDesignIII, Trapeze (2004), TreasuryofDesign, Treesandleaves, Tulips, TylersPokemon (2000), UncasWomen, Valentine, VictorianWindow, Wedding, Wildflower, WildflowerII, WildflowerIII, WildflowerIV, YesterdaysBeauty, YourSign, Yummi, Zodiac.
Designer Menues (commercial dings, 2001). In 2006, these commercial dings: Scrapping Corners, Scrappers Fills. Direct access to the dingbats. Direct access to fonts.
Fontspace link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
[Walter Bernard "Ben" Hunt]
Walter Bernard "Ben" Hunt (b. 1888, Greenfield, WI, d. 1970) was an American artist, outdoor educator and author. His books covered native American arts, woodworking, scouting, pioneering, jewelry making, metalworking, and calligraphy. Quoting wikipedia: Hunt was born in Greenfield, Wisconsin and grew up in a log cabin. He attended Milwaukee's South Division High School, but did not graduate, dropping out to become lithographic engraver at the Bruce Publishing Company. Hunt moved to Hales Corners, Wisconsin with his wife, Laura, in 1920. In 1924, Hunt, along with his father-in-law and brother, Edwin C. Hunt, built a log cabin behind his home. The cabin, a 16x28-foot structure, made of tamarack logs, was the subject of Hunt's first article, How We Built Our Log Cabin. During the late 1930s, Hunt began to study the work of Native American artists. As part of his research, Hunt met with artists and leaders such as Nick Black Elk, Frank Smart (or Chief Gogeoweosh), and James F. "Buck" Burshears. Hunt shared his knowledge of "Indian lore" with Milwaukee's boy scout leaders and, in 1942, Hunt started writing articles for Boy's Life. He became a regular member of its staff, ultimately writing over 1,000 articles. Hunt's work for Boy's Life, led him to serve on the staff of the National Boy Scout Jamboree in 1950, 1953, 1957, and 1960.
Edwin and Ben Hunt published Fifty Alphabets (1931), Lettering of Today (1935, revised in 1941), 60 Alphabets (1935, Bruce Publishing), and 101 Alphabets (1954, 1958). Several digital typefaces resulted from those publications. Grouped by type designer:
- Pablo Mateu: HFF Hunts Deco (2012). Based on an alphabet designed by the Hunt Brothers in Lettering of Today.
- Nick Curtis: Moonshine Script NF (2004). A casual connected script patterned based on 60 Alphabets.
- Dick Pape created 11 fonts in 2012 that are based on 101 Alphabets, all named HuntBros101Plate followed by a plate number. Plate 02 is a Trajan typeface. Plate 5 is a Trajan face. Plate 6 is an art nouveau face. Plate 7 is a flared caps typeface. Plate 10 is a textured poster typeface. Plate 11 is an ornamental caps face. Plate 13 is a condensed caps face. Plate 14 could be considered as a Mexican vernicular typeface. Plate 18 is an antique italic face. Plate 25 is an upright script. Plate 26 Brush is fifties brush signage at its best. Plate 29 (octagonal), Plate 46 (Celtic), Plate 52 (German expressionist), Plate 54 Blackletter, Plate 56 (Lombardic), Plate 62 (uncial), Plate 63 Script, Plate 65 (Victorian ornamental caps), Plate 66 (Western typeface), Plate 74 (Mexican fiesta font), Plate 68 (Arabic simulation), Plate 71, Plate 76 (architectural lettering), Plate 77 (inline caps) and Plate 83 (stencil face) complete the collection.
Download some typefaces based on the latter publication. Flickr site sith images of 101 Alphabets, courtesy of Diane Zerr. Local download of 101 Alphabets. Download link for Pape's typefaces. [Google]
J. Randall Harris
[Just My Type]
Bangkok-based graphic designer (b. 1979) who founded Design Reform Council in 2005, and is senior designer at YWFT. He made Fetti (2009), a type experiment in 3d based on polyhedra. Spikes (2009) is a modern, wild and abstract handset. Buffer (2010) is a highly contrasted slab display face. Soaka (2010) is more grungy, but remains slabby. YWFT Gavin (2010) began as a hand-drawn exploration of George Bruce's Seven-Line Pica. YWFT Wonderland (2011) is a smorgasbord of various hand-drawn styles. Pello (2011) is an arts and crafts typeface with Mexican influences.
Typefaces from 2013: YWFT Swell (a rounded vector EPS font), YWFT Riet (Bauhaus or architectural style letters in vector format, You Work For Them).
Home page. You Work For Them link. Behance link. Klingspor link. [Google]
[Jeff Levine: Additional typefaces]
Jeff Levine: Additional typefaces
This is a list of fonts by Jeff Levine not categorized anywhere else on my pages.
- A: Adelanto JNL (2009), Adhesive Letters JNL (2011), Aisle Seats JNL (2006, based on letters cut by the Redikut Letter Company of Hawthorne, CA), Album Cover JNL (2008), Alleway JNL (2012, a condensed sans), Allograph JNL (2007), Alphacal JNL (2008, outlined, and like Juneway JNL, based on water-applied decals once made by the Duro Decal Company (now Duro Art Industries) of Chicago), Alton JNL (2010: a bold display sans), Amateur Printer JNL (2007, grunge), Ampersorts JNL (2011: ampersands), And So Forth JNL (2011), Anecdote JNL (2009), Arcaro JNL (2013, a calligraphic typeface based on the movie credits of the ABC TV series Naked City, 1958-1963, starring detective Frank Arcaro), Arch Creek JNL (2010, an all caps revival of Beton), Ardball (2006), Arte Critique JNL (2009), Artist Colony JNL (2009), Arts District JNL (2014), Art Student JNL (2010), Astrospy JNL (2008: techno), Awkward Gothic JNL (2008), Axelby JNL (2013).
- B: Backpage Article JNL (2010), Bal Harbour JNL (2008), Balcony Seats JNL (2007, narrow retro sans), Barricade (2011, a great shadowed caps face), Bayview JNL (2008, based on Inland Type Foundry's Studley), Best Bet JNL (2014, a slab serif redesign of Beton), Bike Decals JNL (2008), Billing and Shipping JNL (2010), Bingo Player JNL (2010), Birch Beer JNL (2008), Bloktor Mosaik JNL (2007), Blue Parrot (2006), Bluesman JNL (2014: based on the lettering of the the blues album "I'm Jimmy Reed" released on the legendary Vee-Jay label out of Chicago), Bonehead JNL (2013, bones), Box Lunch JNL, Brazil Nut JNL (2015), Broadcast JNL (2015), Broadletter JNL (2009), Brogado (2006), Brushmark JNL (2011), Bum Steer JNL (2015), Burger Joint (2006), Burger Royale JNL (2007), Business Helpers JNL (2014).
- C: Calendar Blocks JNL (2009), Calling Card JNL (2010), Callouts JNL (2011, in Circle and Square styles; white letters on black background), Canby (2006, a squarish caps face), Candle Wax JNL (2014, based on the movie poster for Bell, Book and Candle starring James Stewart), Cast And Crew JNL (2015, condensed monoline), Cast Shadow JNL (2010), Casual Lunch JNL (2009), Casual Friday JNL (2008, roman lettering), Casual Tune JNL (2015), Catch Words JNL (2009), Channel Tuning JNL (1999), Channel Surfing JNL (2010), Charlies Bar BQ JNL (2008, heavy slab serif), Charmer JNL (2014), Chive Turkey JNL (2007), Ciribiribin JNL (2014), Classification JNL (2015), Classroom JNL (2009), Cling Vinyl JNL (2009), Coal Train (2004), Coldfield JNL (2008), Commentary JNL (2010, almost typewriter type---easy on the eye), Concierge JNL (2014), Corkboard JNL (2010: a rounded all caps family), Cornfield JNL (2008), Crown Heights JNL (2007, slab serif caps), Cyberglass (2010, techno), Cybrox JNL (2012, grunge).
- D: Dance Hall JNL (2011), Dangits JNL (2009), Decal (2006), Deco Of Tomorrow JNL (2014), Deconstructed JNL (2012), Decorative Panels JNL (2009), Deerfield JNL (2006, Bank Gothic style), Desk Jockey JNL (2008), Deskplate JNL (2011), Detention JNL (2007, hand-printed), Diamond Jim (2010), Diamondwood JNL (2015, rhombic), Disclaimer JNL (2010, condensed thin headline face), Display Inline JNL (2009), Displayced (2006, LED font), Display Roman JNL (2014), Do It Yourself JNL (2008), Doo Wop Initials JNL (2007), Doowop (2006), Dormitory Decals JNL (2009), Double Take JNL (2008), Duonor JNL (2010).
- E: Edessa JNL (2009: chiseled stone look, faux Greek), Editorial Comment JNL (2009, grotesk caps-only headline face), Edits and Credits JNL (2008), Elsinor (2006), Endless Journey JNL (2009), Ensemble Inline JNL (2014), Entitled JNL (2007, squarish as in Bank Gothic), Evening Edition JNL (2009), Expressions (smilies).
- F: Factual JNL (2010,headline face), Fairgrounds (2006), Farragut JNL (2008, hairline geometric), Fastenating JNL (2012, paper clip font), Feltboard JNL (2008), Fence Post JNL (2012), Festival Nights (fancy letters), File Folder JNL (2010, Bank Gothic style family), Film Crew JNL (2009), Fincastle JNL (2011, all caps sans titling face), Flagstaff JNL (2010), Flatbush Beanery (2006), Flipboard JNL (2011), Flivver (2006, a slab-serif display font), Floor Tiles JNL (2009), Florida (2006, retro), Food Vendor JNL (2011), Fordham JNL (2011, all caps slab serif), Frankly Plain JNL and Franky Ornate JNL (2010, all caps faces after Franklin Gothic), French Serif Moderne JNL (2009), Freunlaven JNL (2006, psychedelic), Fun and Games (2011, a casual retro typeface redrawn from the lettering found on the cover of a 1935 Speedball Lettering Pen book).
- G: Gene Condensed JNL (2014), Generic Gothic JNL (2013: an interpretation of Franklin Gothic Condensed), Genesee JNL (2010), Gift Wrap JNL (2014), Gilbert JNL (2011, after Eric Gill's sans), Greenwich Village JNL (2014), Groovy 3D Caps JNL, Groovy Happening JNL (2005, psychedelic, in the style of Action Is), Groovy Summer (2006, a casual sans), Guadalajara JNL (2014, a Mexican party font), GummedAlphabet JNL (2011), Gummed Letters JNL (2010).
- H: Halavah Twist JNL (2007; see also its extension Zydeco JNL in 2009), Hallandale (2006), Halliday JNL (2013: an outlined typeface based on Beton Open Condensed), Handmade Dropshadow JNL (2010), Handmade Gothic JNL (2011, inspired by lettering samples in a 1941 Speedball Lettering Pen instructional booklet), Handmade Roman JNL (2011), Hand Stamped JNL (2006, rubber stamp look), Hanford (2010, a sans headline family), Hash and Beans JNL (2007), Hectonoid JL (2008), Highbrow Cafetorium JNL (2009), Home Room JNL (2009), Horse Puckey JNL (2008), Hoxie JNL (2008).
- I-J: Impressionable JNL (2012, based on a rubber stamp set), Industriality JNL (2015), Informational Gothic (2013: The Wood-Regan Instruments Company (Wrico) of New Jersey manufactured for decades a line of lettering kits called the Wrico Sign Maker. With only special ink pens, plastic templates and a template guide anyone could letter clean, clear signs, posters and notices. This typefaces is based on one of those kits), Initial Seals JNL (2012), Inkpad Letters JNL (2011), Inline Lettering JNL (2011, inspired by the opening title of a classic 1940s horror film, The Invisible Man's Revenge), Interoffice Memo (2011), Intrigue JNL (2014, based on the hand-lettered movie titles from one of the William Powell / Myrna Loy Thin Man series of films), Jalpoy (2014), Jive Jump (2006), Jobseeker JNL (2011: hand-printed), Juneway (2006, modeled after a set of water-applied decals made by the Duro Decal Company of Chicago).
- K-L: Katydid JNL (2015, a connect-the-dots typeface), Key Largo JNL (2011, all caps slab serif), Lakeland JNL (2013), Kiddie Blokz JNL (2010), Lamp Post JNL (2012, an interpretation of Post Old Style, ca. 1901), Lasting Impression JNL (2008), Lecture Hall JNL (2012), Lefferts (2006, squarish display face), Les Folies JNL (2009, Victorian), Liebestraum JNL (2014, a decorative caps font), Linem Up (2010), Lobby Card JNL (2010), Longbranch Initials (2006, for decorative monograms), Longacre JNL (2013, fat rounded sans), Loose Leaf JNL (2010), Love Notes JNL (2011: alphadings), Luminum JNL (2007).
- M: Made in Japan (2014), Mailbox Letters JNL (2008), Mainline JNL (2014), Margate JNL (2013, based on water-applied decals manufactured in 1962 by the American Decalcomania Company for Goodyear), Marking Device JNL (2014), Maryland JNL (2014), Matchbook JNL (2014: based on lettering on a matchbook from the Carrousel Restaurant in Miami Beach), Mayville JNL (2009), McCadden JNL (2013, inspired by the hand-lettered credits for the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show [1950-1958]), Meal Ticket JNL (2008, squarish), Merchandiser JNL (2010), Merchandising JNL (2014, brush signage script), Millport (2006, squarish display face), Misdirection JNL (2009), Mixed Messages JNL (2007, ransom note), Mocombo JNL (2010, an African look typeface that is a slightly modified version of one of the numerous alphabets created by the late Alf R. Becker for Signs of the Times Magazine during the period of the 1930s through the 1950s), Model Railroad JNL (2015), Moderator JNL (2013), Modern Appliances JNL (2014), Monoline Rounded JNL (2014), Monthly Meeting JNL (2013), Monthly Newsletter JNL (2011), Morningside Heights JNL (2015), Morningstar JNL (2012, named after Jeff's friend, Estella Dawn Roberts of Stella Roberts Fonts), Movieland JNL (2008), Movie Night JNL (2011), Musical Arrangements JNL (2014).
- N: Naroid Initials JNL (2010, one of the most ultra-compressed sets of initials available in digital type), Narrow Minded JNL (2014), National Spirit JNL (2009), Newark JNL (2014: a strong slab serif), Newsbreak JNL (2008), Newshawk JNL (2007, a condensed sans), Newsprint JNL (2011), Newsreel Caps JNL (2014), Newsworthy JNL (2011: a condensed headline sans), Nightcap JNL (2011), Nighthawk JNL (2009, a retro headline sans), Nondescript JNL (2012), Nouveau Roundcorner JNL (2015), Nouveau Yorke JNL (2015), Now Playing JNL (2010).
- O: Oblogram JNL (2008, techno), Occidental Tourist JNL (2009), Odditype JNL (2006, computer simulation), Off The Wall JNL (2008).
- P-Q: Park Slope JNL (2014), Parfum de Paris JNL (2014), Paint Store JNL (2006), Parkitechture (2006), Part and Parcel JNL (2009), Partial Eclipse JNL (2012), Patriotica JNL (2011, American flag face), Pavement JNL (2010, based on the extra-condensed lettering used on roadway information signs as revised by the U.S. Government in 2000), Pendraw Roman (2006), Penmanshift JNL (2006, ronde style), Performer JNL (2014, re-drawn from condensed hand lettering found on a piece of vintage sheet music), Personal Note JNL (2011), Picz JNL (2009), Pillow Puff JNL (2008, fluffy and cloud-like lettering), Pistol Twelve JNL (2008), Pitkin JNL (2006, a hand-lettered sans), Plastic Display JNL (2010, sketched from photo examples in an old sales promotion sheet for the Movitex Do-It-Yourself Plastic Sign Kit by Pryor Marking Products of Chicago), Plastic Template JNL (2011), Pleasantville JNL (2012, a condensed slab serif), Pocket Initials JNL (2008), Podunk JNL (2007), Popstix JNL (2013), Pop Tune JNL (2014), Popularity JNL (2014, after Radiant), Postal JNL (2009, white on black, as on stamps), Poster Inline JNL (2014), Poster Plain JNL (2012), Prehysteric JNL (2010), Presentation JNL (2011, a slabby family), Pricing Labels JNL (2010), Printed Letters (2006, made from stamped impressions made by a 1940s childrens sign making set), Printing Set JNL (2006, based on a rubber stamp alphabet), Printing Sorts JNL (2009), Prismatiq JNL (2009, shadow face), Promotional Copy JNL (2012), Proofreader JNL (2011, a rounded slab serif face), Prospect Heights JNL (2015), Public Notice JNL (2009), Public Transportation JNL (2008), Public Utility JNL (2012), Public Works JNL (2007: emulates the hand-cut lettering silk screened onto metal), Publication JNL (2010, a revival of DeVinne, 1890), Quick Response JNL (2015, based on QR codes), Quorfid JNL (2010).
- R: Raccoon Coat JNL (2014), Record Jacket JNL, Recreation JNL (2013, outlined shadow face), Rendering (2011, architectural draftman's lettering), Reprint JNL (2013), Restaurant And Lounge JNL (2015, hand-crafted), Retail Merchant (2006), Retro Resort JNL (2011), Reverberation JNL (2011, horizontally striped face), Reverse Calendar Blocks JNL (2011), Rockaway JNL (2006, titling sans), Roma Initial Caps JNL (2009), Rough Print JNL (2012, rubber stamp lettering), Roundpoint Pen JNL (2011, based on instructional lettering found in an old Speedball Pen textbook), Roughshod (2006), Rural Route JNL (2010), Rustic Inn JNL (2014).
- S: Salad Bar JNL (2013), Sales Pitch JNL (2014), Sales Slip JNL (2013), Same Old English JNL (2010, blackletter), Sandcastle JNL (2011), Sans Poster Bold + 3D, Savings And Loan JNL (2014), Sea Cruise JNL (2015), Scoreboard JNL (2014: dot matrix typeface), Screentext JNL (2010, pixel), Second Impression JNL (2008), Sennetarium JNL (2008, after lettering in a Charlie Chaplin movie), Sentzoff Coupon (2006, stitched), Sew What JNL (2010, stitching face), Shareholder JNL (2015), Shelf Numbers JNL (2008), Shicken Zoop JNL (2008, Hebrew), Shipping Carton JNL (2012), Sign and Poster JNL (2009, die-cut letters), Shopkeeper JNL (2010, after a a vintage rubber stamp sign and chart printing set), Simplicity JNL (2014), Simply Grotesk JNL (2012, Peignotian), Sleuth JNL (2013, after the trailer for the 1936 movie After The Thin Man), Snack Shop JNL (2007, the retro diner look in a bold outline face), Snorkel JNL (2014), Socialite JNL (2009), Solid Serif JNL (2014), Songbook JNL (2014), Song Plugger JNL (2014), Southwest Serenade JNL (2015), SplintersJL (2004), Sport Shaded JNL (2009), Spring Fashion JNL (2010), Spur Handlettered JNL (2008), Squarity JNL (2008), Stamp of Approval JNL (2007), Stamped Metal JNL (2012, beveled), Starlight Sans, Stellator JNL (2006, a high-tech modular font), Stonecut JNL (2014), Store Tags JNL (2011), Streeter JNL (2013, based on Beton Bold Condensed), Sunlight JNL, Supporting Cast JNL (2011), Swing Band JNL (2013: inspired by the title lettering from "Hi-De-Ho", a 1930s all-black cast film starring legendary bandleader Cab Calloway).
- T: Tallahassee Chassis JNL (2007, modeled from a toy rubber stamp set imported from Japan), Tall And Narrow JNL (2015), Tamiami JNL (2009, Victorian, known as "Cuba"), Tea Bag JNL (2013), Tea Time JNL (2014), Technerd JNL (2011, a thin technical/mechanical face), Technopen JNL (2013: a rounded techno sans from a 1929 instructional booklet for the Esterbrook Drawlet Pens), Terrace JNL (2015), Terror JNL, That Stuff JNL (2009), Theater Lights JNL (2014), Theatrics JNL (2009, 3d face), Thin Mint JNL (2011), Three Day Pass JNL (2009), Tiler JNL (2012, a gridded face), Title Block Sans JNL (2011, an avant-garde titling face), Too Much Information JNL (2007), Top Billing JNL (2008, dot matrix), Toucan Tango JNL (2007, multiline face), Tough Guy (2006, shaded titling face), Tough Stuff JNL (2008), Toyprint JNL (2009, grunge), Trade Journal JNL (2010), Trade Printer JNL (2007, Victorian-era sans emulation), Transactive JNL (2007, dot matrix), Tribal Council JNL (2011, jungle lettering), Trilium JNL (2010, triline face), Tropicano JNL (2013, a wavy typeface), Tunesmith JNL (2014, Victorian), Twelve Oaks (2006), Two Cents Plain JNL (2012), Two Reeler JNL (2006; see also its follow-up typeface Positive Vibe JNL, 2007, both modeled after title cards of an early Charlie Chaplin movie), Type Catalog (2011, bilined all caps face), Typesetter JNL (2011), Type Vendor JNL (2012), Typewriter Sans JNL (2015), Type Wronger JNL (2013, old typewriter typeface).
- U-V: Unpretentious JNL (2014), Urmeba JNL (2012, named after amoebas and codesigned with Ray Larabie; a barf font), Used Cars (2012), Utica JNL (2010, squarish all caps face), Vehicle JNL (2010, a condensed block font as for car plates), Vendor JNL (2010, Victorian era ribbon face), Vertical Roundpoint JNL (2011, found in a 1941 edition of the Speedball Lettering Pen instruction book and re-drawn digitally by Jeff Levine), Vintage Designs JNL (2009, dingbat which has some fists), Vododeo JNL (2014).
- W: Wavely (2010), Weeneez JNL (2011, wiener-shaped glyhs), Welcome Home JNL (2009), Werble JNL (2010), Whoosh JNL (2007), Willoughby JNL (2006, based on 1950s toothpaste lettering), Window Sign JNL (2013), Wine Cellar JNL (2014), Winery JNL (2012: a soft-serifed caps face), Wire Mesh JNL (2009), Work Force JNL (2011), Wynwood JNL (2009).
- X-Y: Yard Sale JNL (2013), Yargo JNL (2009, hand-printed), Yayazout JNL (2008, fun titling face), Yorso Square JNL (2007).
- Z: Zera JNL (2007, intersecting rings), Zodor JNL (2010), Zoning Department JNL (2012), Zydeco JNL (2009).
Jeri Ingalls's fonts, dingfonts, and dingbats: JIWatermelon (2000), Paxil (with Apostrophe [dead link]), FuturexBugz, JIBalloonCaps, JIBaseball, JIBowlingBalls (2003), his Mexican simulation faces (JIBurrito, JIChimichanga, JIFajita, JIMargarita, all made in 2001), JIChubbyCaps (2003), JIChunkyCaps (2003), JIColorCrayons, JIDuckabushCaps, JIFlowerVines, JIHoneybees, JIKaleidoscopeBats2, JIKaleidoscopeBats3, JIKaleidoscopeBats4, JIKaleidoscopeBats5, JIKaleidoscopeBats, JIMarshmallowRoast, JINoodles, JIPearlNecklace, JIPicketFence, JIRibbon, JISawblade, JISeeds, JIShinySeeds, JISolidBalloonCaps, JIStarfish, JISunflower, JIAcorn, JINatureBats, Belfry, Deschutes, Skookumchuck (2001), Tracks, SwissCheese, Stickerbush Caps, Toy Train, BunnyCaps (2002), Lilliwaup (2002, sans serif), JIPumpkins (2002), JIAcorn (2000), JINatureBats (2000), JIBelfry (2001), JIDeschutes (2001), JIHiddenVines (2006), JIManhattan (2001), JIStickerbushCaps (2002). Dafont link. Fontspace link. Fontsy link. [Google]
Jessica N. Enciso Vega
Mexican designer with Andrea Torres of the Mexican party font Mariachi (2012). [Google]
Designer at Pastaza Type in Ecuador of the Mexican ornamental caps typeface Punk (2009). [Google]
Graphic designer in Nantes, France, who created Organique (2014, a series of experimental textured typefaces), and the Aztec-inspired Dédale (2014). Behance link. [Google]
Kansas-based creator of the Mexican-themed typeface Porton (2012). [Google]
[Life Without Taffy (was: Spork Thug Typography)]
Just My Type
[J. Randall Harris]
Just My Type is a type foundry that was founded in 2012 by J. Randall (or Randy) Harris (b. 1947, Marion, IN) in Tucson, AZ. Harris is a graphic and type designer who has been making typefaces since 1997. He teaches at the Art Institute of Tucson. His typefaces from 2013: Megatropolis (a stackable deco font system), Historic Warehouse (Victorian).
Typefaces from 2012: Happenstance (a lovely retro-futuristic script), Illuminations Woodcut, Yule Love It (Christmas time dingbats), Gawain (based on the hand of Gawain Douglas), Oaxaca (a Mexican look face), Boxy Code, Channel B (a rounded monoline sans), Curves, Puzzle, Dempsey (based on the writing of Tucson film teacher, media artist and programmer, Vikki Dempsey), Chilespice, Strata, Deco Donut, Jiminy (a comic book face), Invites (a roundish upright script that intends to recreate the 1920s spirit), Hunky Chunky (an obese poster face), the hand-printed typeface Carissa, Got Milk, Cutting Corners, Astro (retro-futurustic), Dix (2012: a slabby wood style typeface inspired by the poster for the 1929 film Redskin, and a desire to create a black Edwardian font with an offbeat serif), and the monoline rounded stripped-down sans typeface family Laszlo (2012: the name is an homage to Laszlo Moholy-Nagy of Bauhaus fame).
Kolega (2012) is a constructivist typeface family that consists of Kolega, Kolega Tall, and Kolega Podrobska (fake comrade).
Steampipe (2012) is an ironwork, Jules Verne, wrought iron and time machine font.
Los Muertos (2012) is a Halloween font.
Typefaces from 2013: Megatropolis (a stackable deco font system).
In 2014, he created the art deco typeface HG Welles, which was originally designed for a privately-published luxury edition of The Time Machine.
Behance link. J Randall Harris Design link. Home page. [Google]
British designer (b. 1991) of the wall brush slab serif Mexican Knappett (2009) and of Pablo Narrow (2011, futuristic, oblique).
Blog. Abstract Fonts link. Dafont link. [Google]
Designer of Trixi (1973, Berthold), a Mexican lettering font. Codesigned by T. Seifert. [Google]
M.R.I. Khokon (kdesignhous) is a digital artist in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Creator of the hand-printed Latin typeface Jakaro (2014), Holiday Cap (2014), Arguile (2014: cartoon font), Hellbent (2014), Shellshock (2014), Pickup Stix (2014), the brush typeface Palorensa (2014), Valentino (2014, Valentine's Day font), the sans typeface Akarius (2014), Digital End (2014, computer emulation font), Perimeter Sans (2014), and the display typefaces Flush (2014, brush face), Santa Maria (2014, Mexican party font), Ra One (2014, halftone textured typeface), Lemon Lane (2014, script face), Orenshaw (2014, sans), and Bold Towne (2014, blackletter).
Typefaces from 2015: Fashion Font, Drawvetica, Dispersion, Crystall.
Graphicriver link, where one can buy his fonts. [Google]
Laura worthington of Bonney Lakes, WA, is a letterer, illustrator and graphic designer. Her script typefaces became quite popular in recent years.
In 2009, she created the vampire font Grindel Grove.
In 2010, she set up shop at MyFonts. Catalog. Her typefaces include the vampire typeface Grindel Grove, the flowing calligraphic typeface Bianca (2010), the pointy Textura typeface Sepian, the spurred serif typeface Yana (2010), Greeting Cards (2010), the antique look calligraphic typeface Origins (2010, hand-lettered with a crow quill pen), Sheila (2010, a connected calligraphic script), Ladybird (2010, curly script), Tiva (2010, hand-printed and almost connected), Yana (2010; image), and the delicate script faces Regina and Recherché.
In 2011, Laura created Liam (bouncy, curly), Samantha Script (2700 flourished glyphs in the classical ronde upright script style and in an italic style; +Swash), Wallflowers (dingbats), Wallflowers II, Wallflowers III, Alana MF and Alana Ornaments MF (a connected script face), Nelson (2011, a notched eroded family, almost for Mexican simulation), Shelby (2011, a monoline, semi-connected script typeface based on hand lettering created with a Speedball B metal nib), Rosarian (a pointed brush connected script typeface).
Typefaces made in 2012: Buckley, Winter Wallflowers, Hummingbird (a penmanship font), Azalea (+Rough, +Smooth), Honey Bee (an all caps pirate ship font), Funkydori (a fat retro signage script), Gioviale (calligraphic script).
Typefaces from 2013: Al Fresco (a breezy exuberant script loaded with opentype features), Charcuterie (a large set of hand-drawn typefaces for vintage signage), Harlowe (a rough-edged, powerful, and slightly sinful script face---renamed to Harlean after a few days), Mandevilla, Number Five (pure Americana, signage).
Typefaces from 2014: Boucherie (in the "collection of vintage fonts" mould of Charcuterie, Boucherie captures the lively essence of 19th-century French advertising typography with a collection of original designs, rather than strict historical revivals), Voltage (a retro fat signage script). Adorn (a hand-drawn poster font family larger than Charcuterie, it contains subfonts called Pomander, Coronet, Garland,. Bouquet, Solo (monograms), Duo (monograms), Catchwords, Banners, frames, Ornaments, Roman, Condensed Sans, Expanded Sans, Slab Serif, Serif, Copperplate, Engraved), Ganache (packaging and logo script),
Typefaces from 2015: Spumante.
Interview by MyFonts in 2010. FontBros link. Klingspor link. Behance link. Fontspring link. Picture.
View Laura Worthington's typefaces. Images of her typefaces. [Google]
Lena Wang, a graphic communication specialist for the United Nations in New York City, created Cactus Typeface (2012). [Google]
During her studies in Washington, DC, Lesia Olesnyckyj designed the modular typeface aztec Digital (2015). [Google]
[no image fonts]
Life Without Taffy (was: Spork Thug Typography)
Josh Wilhelm is an artist, musician and comedian who lives in Florida. It is possible that he also is a reverend. His original type designs were presented at Spork Thug Typography. Some time before 2010, he moved to Life Without Taffy. The fonts: A-Damn-Mess, Adrenochrome, Airwalker, AirwalkerOutline, Aneurysm, AnotherMorningStoner, Antioch, AntiochBitchslap, AphidManureHeist, Apocalypshit, AshleysWriting, Askew, AssholeBasicSansSerif, AstroCreep2, Atomic-Toothpaste, BackSplatter-DrippyPS, BallTongue, BallTonguePreview, Bandnames, Bandnames2, BeerGoggles, Belching-Up-Salisbury-Steak, Betsy, BilBurr, Black-Sunshine, BloodyShrapnel, Bogusflow, BollWeevil, Bootyneck, BotchedVasectomy, Bowel-Trouble, Brackish, Bunfuzzled, Bunker, Buscemi, Cactus-Love (Mexican simulation face), CaffeineFreeDietPorkSoda, CamelWalk, Captain-Shiner, Cardboard-Love-2, Cardboard-Love, CardboardLove, CarsickTimes, Cheap-Ass-Phaser, Clunk, Configuration9, Corinne, Cracked-Dendrite, Craptacular, CrystalGypsy, Cut-It-Out, Cyanide-Breathmint, DawnOfTheDead, Dead-Ewoks-Everywhere, DeadAlive, Denrito (2001), Derelict, DietPorkSoda, Dispepsi, Divine, Dollar-Store-Stencil, Donald, Downer, Drew, Dumpster-Diver, EatMoreGravel, Eeviac, EeviacBold, EeviacOutline, ElScorcho, Electronic-Cobbler, Elser, Eulogy, Evil-Dead, Fifty, Fildnik, Fingered, Fisticuffs, Flamer, FlutingOnTheHump, FrailLimbNursery, FreakingStars, Fridge-Magnets, FrostbittenWanker, Future-Boxes, FuturexSchizmatic, GeorgeWBushIsACokehead, GlassSandwich, GoldenShowers, Gubernaculum, Hallisey, Handyman's-Special, HappyHero, Hellacious-Migraine, Hendershot, HotwaxResidue, Human-Brown-Eye, Humpbunny, InterstellarHarddrive, Invaders, InvadersPartTwo, InvadersPartTwoOutline, Johnny-Bracket, Josh-Is-Tipsy, JoshIsStoned, JoshSober, Juggalo, JuggaloWarped, Kagan, Kalamazoo, Lacquerhead, Lanky-Bastard, Lebowski, Lego-Maniac, Lhyrma, Lickspittle, Lithium, Little-Tubby-Jesus, LoungeAct, LoungeActOutline, MagnaCumNada, MaximumRadiationLevel, MaximumRadiationLevelOutline, Miasma, Minus, MirandaWrites, MissKatie, Mister-Haddaris, MoFo, MollyRingworm, Mope, MopeOutline, Mrnikas, Mudshovel, Muffy, Mump, MusickThief, MusickThiefTwo, Mustachio, MustyPrivates, MyPromiscuousDaughter, MyPromiscuousDaughterOutline, MyPromiscuousDaughterSquat, Necrosis, Nerdball, Nobody-Loves-Me, Nonsense, NovaCane, One-Lousy-Bottom, OneLeggedDonkey, Overactive-Bladder, Oxalic, Paralacrimation, Pink-Noise, Pio, Pio, Poltergeist, PoltergeistHollow, PoltergeistShuffled, PoltergeistThick, Poop, Pork-Soda, Praise-'Bob', Praise-'Bob', Protonic-Feelers, Pudmonkey-RegularPS, PudmonkeyShrapnelFree, PudmonkeyTwo, Punched-Stub, QuarterOzToFreedom, Queasy, Quite-Blunt, REVEREND-JOSH, Rachel, RangDang, RedneckZombies, Rhoda-Dendron, SassmouthSkinny, SassmouthThick, SelfMutilation, ShotgunBlast, ShotgunBlastMadThick, ShotgunBlastThick, Single-Stroke, Sissyneck, SissyneckOutline, SixtyPercentLessSassmouth, Sloopy, Snafu, SnootchieBootchies, SnootchieBootchiesBold, SnootchieBootchiesItalic, SnootchieBootchiesOutline, Some-Boxes, SonofX51, SoulManure-NormaLPS, SoulManure2, SoulManureOutline, SpaceLord, SpaceLordOutline, SpankThru, SpankThruBold, SporkThug, Sporkbats-Two, Sporkbats, Sporkbats3, Stamper, Stickons-Two, Stitch, StunOperator, SuckyDigital, SuitePee, Takeout, Tanklason, Target-Practice, Teardrop, Terminus, TexasJigsawMassacre, Thirty-Seven, TongueOfColicab, Turnaround, Ubiqita_Europa, Undertow, Uppity, Uppity2, Uppity3, Uppity4, VenerealStrobeEffect, VenerealStrobeEffectItalic, VenerealStrobeEffectStroked, VeryAssy, Vibrato, VibratoHollow, Vic-Twenty, Vinyl-Stickons, Wadlow, WadlowsSon, WaitAndBleed, Wireframe-Davenport, X51Outline, Xanthisma, Xanthisma, XitRAM!, Yonkerismo, Zaboodla, ZaboodlaThin.
Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. Fontspace link. [Google]
Designer at FontStruct in 2008 of Metallico (a majestic double-stroked headline face), Namol recessed, Namol Rounded, Namol. In 2009, he added Aqueous Orbs, Rigid Emboss (+Solid, +Outline), Resisting Efficiency, 6x4 Pixels, Sharp Serif, Pudgy, Motherboard, Salad Bar (Mexican style writing), Carnival Illusion, Carnival Attraction, Cloud Salad, Metal Lunch, Forgotten Dot, Cosmic Chrome, Digital Numerals, Plebian Prozac, Pure Checker, Grim Box, Angle Frenzy, Quick Pixel, Reflecto, Tech Police, Barbed Bazaar, 24pt pixel, Vamp Aesthetic, Beeblebrox, Loman, N00b13, 12pt Pixel, Broadband, Novel Idea, Club Limbo, Deep Dish, Cosmic Chrome (+Filled, +Outline, +Reflection), Brick Street (+Solid), Astroshine (3d: +Solid, +Outline), Technoid, Blunt Serif (+Rounded), 3d Cubed, 3d Squared, Denim Stud, Diamond Stud, Pyramid Stud, Safari Bar (1 and 2), Quondam Futurity (LED font), Fizzle, Space Case, Retrofit, Robocrook, and Dense City. [Google]
Puchov, Slovakia-based designer of the piano key typeface Alto (2013), the experimental Acolor2 (2013), and the Aztec-inspired Aztec and Azatec typefaces (2014). [Google]
Mai-Linh Thi Truong
Mai-Linh Thi Truong worked at FontShop in Berlin. Best known for the book coauthored with Jürgen Siebert and Erik Spiekermann: FontBook. Digital Typeface Compendium (= FontBook 4).
At one point Mai-Linh was in charge of policing the net, which on occasion led to false accusations while trying to protect FontFont fonts. Mai-Linh contacted the owner of typOasis complaining about the use of FF Mambo dingbats on the page. The web page owner was asked to remove these pictures. Turns out that the pictures were from Maraca Extras (WSI) and Listemageren's Mexican Ornaments. The Maraca font has this line: "Maraca From the WSI-Font Collection. Copyright [c]1994 Weatherly Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved." The FF Mambo (MediumInitials) font has a copyright notice 1992 Val Fullard. Both fonts are clearly extremely similar, and from the dates it appears that the Mambo font came first. If you bought the WSI collection, and read their notices, how could you know about this? And why does FontShop not take its complaints to WSI? Why this harassment of simple font users and font enthusiasts? I think that in this case, the user is right, and should keep using a font he/she paid for. If WSI copied the font and made money off it, are they not the real culprits? WSI's boss, by the way, drives a Ferrari. I am sure the typOasis owner does not. So, FontShop erred. But I am not sure even WSI is at fault: A bit of digging allowed us to discover that the Mambo glyphs were first drawn by R.H. Middleton in 1934 (see here). So, BOTH WSI and FontShop based their glyphs on Middleton's work. Now, why should typOasis not have the right to use WSI's version? By the way, over half the symbols in the WSI font are very different from those in the FontFont version! Some find the WSI version superior, both technically and aesthetically. [Google]
[SoftMaker Software GmBH (now: freefont.de)]
[House of Lime]
Mexican style fonts
The zip file has these Mexican simulation fonts: ArribaArribaLetPlain, ArribaLetPlain, BurritoOne, BurweedICG-Thorny, CarumbaHotCapsPlain, ChiladaICGCuatro, ChiladaICGDos, ChiladaICGTres, ChiladaICGUno, El-RioLobo, ElHombre, FajitaICG-Mild, FajitaICG-Picante, Gonzo, Guadalupe, GuadalupeDos, Hot Tamale, JIBurrito, JIChimichanga, JIFajita, JIMargarita, JuanitaLinoITCTT, JuanitaXiloITCCdTT, JuanitaXiloITCTT, LindsayScrapramento, Maraca (WSI's ripoff of Val Fullard's Mambo), MaracaBold, MaracaBoldItalic, MaracaExtrabold, MaracaExtraboldItalic, MaracaExtras, MaracaItalic, MexacaliCondensedItalicSWFTE, MexacaliCondensedRegularSWFTE, MexacaliExtendedItalicSWFTE, MexacaliExtendedRegularSWFTE, MexacaliItalicSWFTE, MexacaliRegularSWFTE, PatternsDots, PresidenteTequila, PresidenteTequilaItalic, PritchardLineOutLetPlain, Samba!, ScrapSombrero, TacoBox, Taco Modern, TacoSalad, VicePresidente, WhassisICG-Frantic. [Google]
Dallas, TX-based creator of the free art deco stencil typeface Glas Deco (2012), which is based on a specimen found in Hoffmanns Schriftatlas: Das Schriftschaffen der Gegenwart in Alphabeten und Anwendungen, Stuttgart 1930. Another download site. View the original.
Creator of Mexico 86 (2011), a bilined headline typeface that was modeled after the Mexico 1986 World Cup logo font, which in turn was based on Avant Garde Extra Light. Free download at abfonts.
Creator of Twin Mo 1 (2012, bilined).
In 2013, he/she created Hadley Numerals (based on the numbers originally generated by Gunter Gerhard Lange for his Derby typeface), and Hadley Stencil (based on the letters originally generated by Gret Mengelt-Mergenthaler and Walter Ballmer for their Swiss typeface TEXPO). Free download.
North Dallas Forty (2012, free) is based on the custom letters in the original 1979 movie posters and marketing materials for the film North Dallas Forty.
In 2011-2012, Dick Pape created a number of free fonts based on designs pointed out to him by Mindofone, and he calls them his Mindofone collection, 86 files strong. They include French Alphabets (FA) and French Advertising Alphabets (FAA). The French Advertising Alphabets were designed by M. Moullet in Brussels in 1946.
The FAA series: FAA3DLettresEnRelief, FAAAllongees, FAAAllongeesBold, FAAAntiqueAllongee, FAAAntiqueGrasse, FAAAntiques, FAAAntiquesGrasses, FAABaroque3DInitiales, FAABlockLettresEnRelief, FAACameoHollow, FAACaracteresdeFantaisie, FAAChevauchantes, FAACubiques, FAAEcossaises, FAAEcritureGrasseEmoussee, FAAEgyptienneGrasse, FAAEgyptiennesEmoussees, FAAFantaisie, FAAFantaisieBlaireau, FAAFantaisieHardi, FAAFantaisieHaut, FAAFantasio, FAAFloralGothiqueInitiales, FAAFrenchMecane, FAAItalianHeavySlab, FAALettresAuCrayonItalic, FAALiberty, FAANormandes, FAANormandesAllongees, FAAOmbreeEnRelief, FAAOnciale, FAAOrientales, FAAPochoir, FAARomainClassique, FAARomainTypographique, FAScenesPaysannes, FAASerifEgyptienne, FAAVetteFantasieAntieke.
The FA series consists first of all of digitizations that are from a booklet by signpainter Roumond entitled 32 Alphabets Modernes, published in Paris by A. Charayron and Léon Duran, some time in the 1930s. Pape's 32 fonts are FAModerne0369, FAModerne0562a, FAModerne0562b, FAModerne0946aBold, FAModerne0946bBold, FAModerne1367a, FAModerne1367b, FAModerne2021a, FAModerne2021b, FAModerne2491a, FAModerne2491b, FAModerne2491c, FAModerne2491d, FAModerne4441, FAModerne5204, FAModerne5204a, FAModerne5204b, FAModerne5204c, FAModerne6183a, FAModerne6183b, FAModerne6518a, FAModerne6518b, FAModerne6518c, FAModerne6518d, FAModerne7287a, FAModerne7287b, FAModerne7666, FAModerne7798, FAModerne9002a, FAModerne9002b, FAModerne9321a, FAModerne9321b.
The other fonts in the FA series are FAAntique2748, FAAntiqueShaded, FACondensedGothic, FACondensedReversedGothic, FAGillSignWritersGuide, FAGothicInitials, FAHerrickSignWriters, FAJeuSubstantoBold, FAPutti, FARoundSans4901, FAThin3394, FATransportReversed4858, FAUltraLight, FAVineInitials, FAWildFlowers.
Further typefaces by Dick Pape: Cathedral (2011, a sketched expressionist face, based on Martin Wait), ColorLinesFont (2010, based on work by Anton Gridz), ColorOutLinesFont, FuroreMexicoCameo, FuroreMexicoNormal, FuroreMexicoPlain, FuroreMexicoWide. The Furore series was made in 2011 based on Furore No. 11 The Mexico Issue (Piet Schreuders, Amsterdam, 1978).
Dick Pape font download page. [Google]
A free Mexican fiesta style font made by an unknown designer at iFontmaker in 2011. [Google]
MyFonts: Mexican typefaces
MyFonts selection of Mexican typefaces, i.e., typefaces that look Mexican or have a Mexican symbolism. [Google]
[Nick Curtis: Mexican theme]
[Art deco faces by Nick Curtis: II]
[Nick Curtis: Typefaces from 2014]
Nick Curtis: Mexican theme
Fonts by Nick Curtis that have a Mexican theme or evoke a fiesta. In his free repertoire, we have Arizona Airways NF (2011, even a bit of art deco), BeteNoir (1999, wow!), ConquistadormanNF (based on this poster by Anton Reckziegel, 1910), DosEquisNF, Ege Schrift NF (2011, after Ege-Schrift by Eduard Ege, 1921), FeteAccompliEngraved, FeteAccompliNF (based on this poster), Holy Ravioli NF (based on Publicity Gothic by Sydney Gaunt, 1916), Melina (2003, Bitstream, patterned after two members of a type family named Greco, released by Fundicion Richard Gans of Madrid, Spain, in the 1920s. Melina Plain is a refined version of Greco Bold, and Melina Fancy is based on Greco Adornado), MetroRetroNF (1999, 2007; MetroRetroRedux (2001, 2010) is a commercial version of that), Salzmann Deco Deco NF (2011, after a 1922 typeface by Max Salzmann entitled Zierdolmen), and SarsaparillaNF (1999). [Google]
Nick Curtis: Typefaces from 2014
Typefaces made by Nick Curtis in 2014:
- Alto Rey NF. A revival of a Victorian typeface issued by the Palmer and Rey Type Foundry of San Francisco in 1884.
- Angler NF. A revival of a Victorian typeface by Barnhart Brothers and Spindler, 1895.
- Argentina Cursive NF. Based on a typeface by Morris Fuller Benton, 1919.
- Bandiera Del Legno NF. A Tuscan wood type that revives Gothic Tuscan Condensed Reversed by William H. Page.
- Belgique NF. A revival of the (Western) wood type French Clarendon XXX Condensed No. 117 by William H. Page.
- Benton Gothic Thin NF. A revival of Lightline Gothic (1908, Morris Fuller Benton, ATF).
- Big D NF. Based on a Speedball pen font by Ross F. George.
- Bricoleur NF. A connected script from a French magazine in 1927.
- Bully Pulpit Plain NF. After Bullion Shadow (1970, Face Photosetting).
- Call Me Ishmael NF. After Moby Dick (Affolter and Gschwind).
- Chapeaux Noirs NF. After a MacKellars, Smiths & Jordan typeface.
- Chieftain NF. Revival of Pontiac (1893, ATF).
- Coronation Street NF. Based on a typeface created in 1936 by Stephenson Blake.
- De Roos Mediaeval NF. After Sjoerd de Roos.
- Dimanche NF. An art nouveau typeface revival. The original is known as Domingo or Brillante.
- Fluid Drive NF. A take on an art deco typeface by Samuel Welo.
- Gloriosus NF. Revival of the Victorian typeface Apollo (1888, Gustave F. Schroeder, Central Type Foundry).
- Grieshaber Monos NF. After a Schelter & Giesecke typeface designed in 1911 by Moritz Grieshaber.
- Harley Quinn NF.
- Hi Ho Steverino NF. In the Beat style of the 1960s and 1970s.
- Koralle Rounded NF. A rounded revival of Koralle (1913, Schelter & Giesecke).
- Leabhar Ceilteach NF. Inspired by lettering in the Book of Kells.
- Legnano (2014, Italian art deco wood type).
- LevellerNF (2014, Nick Curtis). A revival of Roundhead (Charles Beeler, Mackellar Smiths & Jordan, 1883).
- Lodewijk Gothic NF (2014). Adter Elzevir Gothic (1897, ATF).
- Loopy Loo NF. Upright script based on an original by the Hunt Brothers.
- Marmorherz NF. After an 1866 font, Marble Heart, by Farmer, Little, and Co.
- Maxed Out NF (+Inline, +Starstruck). This series of fonts is based on a 1970s art deco series at PhotoLettering Inc called Riverside Drive by Peter Max.
- Meriwether Circular NF. After a 1905 Victorian typeface by William Martin Johnson for ATF called Meriontype.
- Millrich Olivian NF. A revival of Olivian by Richard & Miller.
- Miss Dottie NF. After Dotted Roman (1897, Barnhart Brothers and Spindler).
- Morticia NF. Based on an ATF original.
- National Oldstyle NF. After a 1916 font by Frederic W. Goudy.
- Nickel Box NF.
- Olden Daze NF. From Alphabets A to Z.
- Page Ephesian NF. A wood type after William H. Page, 1890.
- Page Etruscan No 5 NF. A wood type after William H. Page.
- Painters Roman NF. A wood type based on Painters Roamn by Vanderburg and Wells (1878).
- Pique-Nique NF. Based on the art nouveau typeface Outing (1888, John F. Cumming, and 1895, ATF).
- Receding Hairline NF. After L&C Hairline (1966, VGC, Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase).
- Renaissant NF. After the Victorian typeface Renaissant (1880, by John F. Cumming, Dickinson Typefoundry).
- Rythme NF. After a Mexican simulation typeface from 1935 by Maximilien Vox called Éclair.
- Scalar Biform NF.
- Schweimann Moderne NF. An art nouveau typeface.
- Skelett Antiken NF. After William H.Page's wood typeface Clarendon XX (1859).
- Ski Alpin NF. An art deco typeface based on a Swiss travel poster from 1927.
- Sodbuster NF. After William H. Page's wood type Gothic Dotted.
- Southie Signboard NF.
- Strassenmeister NF. After an art deco typeface called Buick Schmalfett by Herbert Thannhaeuser.
- Sweet Afton NF. After a silent movie font by Samuel Welo.
- Talsmann NF. A faithful reproduction of the Advocate font used by the IBM Selectric typewriter.
- Trading Hoss NF. After Ross F. George's Speedball alphabet D-nib Display.
- Tuscalooza NF. After William H. Page's font Tuscan Extended.
- Twinkletoes NF. After a comic book typeface by Ross F. George.
- Unjustified NF. Inspired by the opening credits for the television series Justified.
- Vauxhall NF. Based on Angelica, a 1970s typeface by Robert Trogman (FotoStar).
- Venusian Ultra NF. A heavy sans based on the extra bold extended version of Bauersche's classic sans typeface family Venus (1907-1927).
- Vulkan NF. A wedge-serifed typeface based on a Barnhart Brothers and Spindler original called Vulcan (1884).
- Well Said Black NF. Modeled after Welling Black, a 1970s typeface by Robert Trogman (FotoStar).
no image fonts
Free fonts by Hungarian type and graphic designer Levi Halmos [or: Levente Halmos], made between 1997 and 2001: AlienGhost2, Aliens, Anabolic Spheroid (2001, revived but alas commercialized by Roger S. Nelsson in 2009 as Anabolic Spheroid Pro), Aztec, Baby Universe (2000), Bateman, Bedlam Remix (2001), Bitsumishi (Bitsumishi Pro (2009) appeared at CheapPro Fonts; Bitsumishi Pro v2 followed in 2012), Butch, Byblostie, CHELIVES, Caddy (1996), CelticGaramond, CelticGaramondthe2nd, Chemistry, Coolthreepixels, Crystal Clear, Danube (techno, geometric), DataTransfer, Dredwerkz, ElephantMan, Escape Pod Normal, FUTURE, Faceplant, Finchley (1998), FreakShow, Gagarin (2001, a Cyrillic simulation and constructivist family), GraveDirt, Guevara, Haiku, Helldorado (2001, Western), Hibernate (2000), Iamsimplified, Indochine (2002, oriental letter simulation), IronLeague (2002, a Jonathan Barnbrook style face), Ivanbats, Ivanhoe, KabosGyula, Kalocsai Flowers Pi (2001), Kenzo, KingKikapu, Kozmonauta (2000), Kozmonauta2, Krizia Uomo (1995, art deco; later renamed Krizi Amo Pro in 2011, probably under pressure from Uomo), Leonardo (1996, a constructed face), Lefferts Corner (2001), LicenzPlate, Lousitania (2001, square-serifed), MagyarSerif, MarshGas, MathmosOriginal, Mutter (a stitch font), Niobium [Niobium Pro (2010, with Roger S. Nelsson) is used for signage and wayfinding in the new Mbombela Stadium built for the FIFA World Cup 2010], Nordic (2001; the Pro version appeared in 2010), Nushto (2000), Olympus (Greek simulation face), Peex (dot matrix family), Phatguy, PiratesGold (made commercial in the CheapProFonts collection of Roger S. Nelsson in 2009), Poison Berries (2000), PresidenteTequila (2000), RakettaFromMars (2001, fifties style futurism), Rammstein, RammsteinRemix (2001, constructivist), RedheadGoddess (2000), RedwildoderRotwild, Resurrection, Runningshoe, Sarkozi Line Patterns Pi (2001), Scully (scanbats), ScumoftheEarth (2000), Shazbot, Slither (1998), SmartSexy, SmartandSexy, Snake Venom (2000, Mexican simulation face), SpaceWorm (2000, futuristic), Sporty, Stonebridge, Subatonik, Sulphur (2000, a typeface influenced by gothic cathedrals), Tank Junior (2001), TerraX, Thrust (2000, Star Trek face), TickyFont, Treasure Island (2001, rounded with a semi-Greek look), TrustThisOne, TwoGunJohann (2000), TypeKnight (2001, with hairline serifs), VicePresidente (2001, Mexican simulation face), VoodooDolls, Voodoo Spirits (2001, wiggly hand), WeepingItalic, WhoulNormal, Zombieball.
Myfonts link. Roger S. Nelsson (Cheapprofonts) and Halmos extended Danube and Celtic Garamond in 2009 as Danube Pro and Celtic Garamond Pro, respectively. Fontspace link. Font Squirrel link. Dafont link.
View Levi Halmos's commercial typefaces. [Google]
FontStructor who made the Mexican-themed monospaced typeface Simple (2013). [Google]
Ouvrez!!! Police!!! (Claude (Chloe) Derieppe)
[Claude (Chloe) Derieppe]
From Lille, France, Claude (Chloe) Derieppe's (now Madame Claude Bernollin-Derieppe) wonderful archive with many fonts displayed in an artistic manner. Specializing in music group, movie and animal theme fonts and dingbats. Go here for her own (free) creations: AbcdaireEnfantin, AgendaduDirecteur, AlphaBones, AlphaClouds, AlphaFitness (2005), AlphaGraphics, AlphaMusicMan (2004, letters with instruments built in), AlphaNails, AlphaRunning, Alpha Sports (2004, letters made of athletes), Crazy Zoo (2004, alphadings with animals), Woman Hair (2004), Elephant and Alpha Elfin (2004), Good Fellow (2005, caps typeface made from people), AlphaSmoke, AlphaTrees, Amadeus, AmericanDream, Arbitre, BeMyValentine, Bouhbouh, CDCrossword, CafeduMatin, ChatBada, ChausettesdeNoel, CountryButton, Cuicui, Elles, FirstAid, FleursdeLiane, Georges, GoodFellow, GrazingOnGrass, HalloweenBats, HalloweenSpider, JackO, JoeDiMaggio, Lucky-Font, MixedGrill, MovingCarton, PaquetCadeaux, TheFontWithNoName, Touchdown, Tourbillon, ValentineRibbon, WhiteChristmas, WienerGentilToutou, Zazou, Alpha Unplugged, Patchwork Angel, Alpha Topiary, Alpha Elfin, Alpha Paint, Wiener Gentil Toutou, Grazing On Grass, Hungry Frog, Amadeus, AmericanDream, Aquarium, Arbitre, AStarisBorn, BasicFont, Bestioles, Beurk, Bouhbouh, BrokenGlass, BzzzBee, CanadianAutumn, ChausettesdeNoel, ChloeConfetti, CheeseandMouse, CouteauSuisse, CrazyZoo, DaddyTie, DowntheDrain, DecoStamp, Boum-Boum, ExtravaDance, FleursdeLiane (1999, caps font with branches), HalloweenSpider, JoeDiMaggio, LotusPaws, Lucky-Font, MapleLeafRag, Mariposa, MissingPiece, Once-uponatime, PatchworkLetter, Georges, PanierdePaques, PetitsBateaux, RoseNote, RubanExtravaganza, ScaryMonsters, SpottyFont, StrictoSensu, SavageSausage, TavernDoors, Touchdown, Tomate, Zippo (2000), HobbyHeadline, ryp_snata1, PapaNoel, PoleNord, Three Little Pink Pigs, LuckyFont, MixedGrill, Explosif, Abcdaire Enfantin, AgendaduDirecteur, BasicFont, BzzzBee, CafeduMatin, CrackBoum, EroticaCD, FirstAid, MovingCarton, PersonaNonGrata, TacoBox (Mexican simulation face), WalkingAround. Features an erotic font archive with Big Breast Font (Lions Den), Condom Font (Lions Den), Koksure (Les Rowe), StripLetter, Martini Olive (Solar*Sister Fonts/Isabelle Trolio), SexFont (Lions Den), Marlboro (WSI), ScripteaseLetPlain (Letraset), DongCasual (Chank Diesel), Hole (Dieter Schumacher), Pigpen (Thomas Rogerstam), Pornhut (Fontalicious), MargueritaLetPlain (Letraset), and Groupsex (Fish Dicks). Plus links. Many music theme fonts. Warning: Someone reported to me that visiting this site will infect your computer with a nasty script (I could not verify this as this seems to apply to PC users only). Alternate URL. Dafont link. Dafont link. [Google]
Page Studio Graphics (or: Pixymbols)
Page Studio Graphics is Roger Vershen's Oro Valley, AZ-based company specializing in symbols and symbol fonts, founded by him in 1986. Roger Vershen died in Tucson, AZ, in 2003.
The fonts (grouped under the name PIXymbols) include ADA symbols v.2.0, Africa, Alphabox, Alphacircle, Ameslan (ASL), Antorff (blackletter), Antorff Fractions, Apothecary, Arrows, Astrology, Backstitch, Boxkey, BoxNLines, Braille grade 2, Casual, Chalk Casual, PIXymbols Chess, Command Key, Courex (typewriter family), Crossword, PIXymbols Deco Glass (2001), Digit&Clocks (+LED symbols), Dingbats&Online, DOSScreen, Fabric Care, FARmarks (Federal Aviation Regulations lettering), Flagman (semaphore), Fractions, Gridmaker, Highway Gothic (U.S. Department of Transportation's Standard Alphabets for Highway Signs), PIXymbols Highway Gothic 2002, Highway Signs (U.S. Department of Transportation), Hospital&Safety, LCD, Linea (2002, prismatic), Luna, Malkoff (calligraphic font), Marina, Meeting, Mejicana (2001, a Mexican party font), Menufonts, Morse, Musica (instruments), Newsdots, Orchestra, Passkey, Patchwork, PCx, Phone, PIXymbolsMusica, Prescott (2001, Western), Penman (2001, connected script), PrimerD (letters with lines), Recycle, Roadsigns, Shadowkey, Signet (family), Signet Shadow, Squared, Strings, Stylekey, Tolerances&Datum, Travel&Hotel, TV List, Unikey, US Map, Vershen (2001), Xcharting, Xstitch. They also sell EPS files of all Arms of Swiss cantons, and many nice initial caps. Look also for Faux Hebrew (simulated Hebrew), as part of the Faux package that also includes Faux Sanskrit, Faux Runic, Faux Hebrew, Faux Japanese, Faux Arabic, Faux Chinese and Faux Chinese Sans.
Alternate URL. Previews at MyFonts. Klingspor link.
View the Page Studio Graphics typeface library. [Google]
Orange County, CA-based designer of Puebla Picado (2015, a Mexican party font). [Google]
Pastaza Type is located in Puyo, Ecuador. It groups the Casco brothers, Juan, Eduardo and Luis, as well as Javier Villamil and Danny Fiallos. Pastaza designed the free dingbat fonts Papa Roach (2010) and Telefonica (2010). Other faces from 2010 include Punkstoric (by Javier Villamil), Punk (2009, Mexican or Inca ornamental caps by Jinso Elmalo), and Spoonge Punk (by Valeria Herrera). In 2011, they made Wires, and Cowboys. [Google]
From Ashtabula, OH, Patricia Lillie (b. 1958) is the respected designer of the wonderful (shareware) Poptics dingbat fonts series (I, II and III) in 1993. See also here or here. Please read her remarks about rip-off font sellers. She sold many wonderful wonderful wonderful dingbat fonts via Eyewire: Gargoil, Fidelma, Lil Creatures (great!), Lil Ancients, Lil Critters, Lil Dings, Lil Fishies, Lil Stuff, Lil Features, Lil Folks, Lil Faces, Lil Events, Lil Flowers, Mini Pics Doohickies, Lil Edibles and Lil Vehicles. These were marketed by Image Club Graphics as their MiniPics series in 1995. She also had display fonts such as Horsefeathers, WhimsyICG, Whassis, Farrier, Shatterday, Chilada and Chilada Dos (1994), Burweed, Alleycat, Ashtabula, Damosel, and Syllogon. [T-26] designer of Ashtabula, Damosel, DamoselDingbats.
Review of Poptics by Fred Showker. Noteworthy is that Poptics became Poptics Delux in 2010, and is now a pay font at MyFonts.
Other fonts: Fidelma (at Type Quarry), Samson, Delilah, Benderville, ElegeionScript (2001, formal handwriting), ITC Tickle (2001), ITC Tickle Too, ITC Cinderella (2002), Miss Kitty Deluxe (2009, comic book face), Zarlino (2011, a brand new bastarda blackletter family), Boppa Delux (2011, an elegant bold display family). [Google]
Designer of these typefaces, which were mainly done at Red Rooster:
FontShop link. Klingspor link.
- Wade Sans Light (1990, Latraset/ITC). A slightly flared sans with tall ascenders and small eyes.
- At Red Rooster Typefoundry, he co-designed Argus (1992) and Beckenham (1993) with Les Usherwood.
- He revived a 1919 Keystone Type foundry design, Poor Richard, at Red Rooster. See this poster by Alessandra Magrini.
- Pat and Paul Hickson redesigned the Granby family, exclusively at Atomic Type.
- Eric Gill's Jubilee, created specially for the Silver Jubilee Wedding Anniversary announcement of George VI and Queen Mary, was revived at Red Rooster by Hickson as Jubilee.
- Keyboard revives a 1951 design. It is a condensed modern face.
- Basuto (2000) revives an original Stephenson Blake design, circa 1927.
- In 1994, he revived Rivoli Initials at Red Rooster, an original typeface by William T. Sniffin (1928, ATF).
- In 1997, he created Messe Grotesk. This is a fat poster typeface based on the Albert Auspurg design, circa 1921-1927.
- Leighton. Based on Lectura, a design by Dick Dooijes, Amsterdam Foundry, circa 1966.
- Venezuela RR (a Mexican-look face). Based on the typeface Vesta by Albert Auspurg, circa 1926.
- Honduras (a Mexican-look family). Based on the typeface called either Albert or Select by Albert Auspurg, circa 1936, Amsterdam Foundry. Paul also designed the alternates not available on the original design.
- Inverness. Based on posters from the 1930s.
- Equestrienne, originally designed by Les Usherwood, and digitally engineered by Paul Hickson. Les never released this completed typeface before his untimely death in 1983.
- Claremont, also originally designed by Les Usherwood, and digitally engineered by Paul Hickson. Les never released this typeface before his death in 1983.
- Lesmore, also originally designed by Les Usherwood, and digitally engineered by Paul Hickson. Les never released this typeface before his death in 1983.
- Stanhope, also originally designed by Les Usherwood, and digitally engineered by Paul Hickson. Based on a turn-of-the-century typeface of the same name. The foundry is believed to be Soldans&Payvers, circa 1904.
View Paul Hickson's typefaces. [Google]
Philip da Silva
Graphic designer in New Jersey who created Calendario Azteka (2012, posters and alphabet). [Google]
Successful British designer, 1950-1998, who lived in Manchester. Obituary in Serif, the magazine. List of typefaces:
- Arriba (1993) and Arriba-Arriba (1993) are Mexican simulation faces.
- ITC Banco (1997, +Light). Based on Roger Excoffon's Banco (1952).
- Bendigo (1993).
- ITC Braganza (1995).
- ITC Choc Light (1997). Based on Roger Excoffon's famous brush typeface Choc (1955).
- Gravura (1995).
- ITC Grimshaw Hand (1995).
- Hazel (1992).
- One of his best families and in its kind one of the best anywhere is the ITC Kallos family (1996), which has high ascenders, and an aristocratic yet calligraphic feel, 1996.
- ITC Kendo (1997), ITC Kendo Initials.
- ITC Klepto (1996).
- Locomotive (Letraset). This was copied as OPTI LenLen by Castcraft.
- ITC Mistral Light (1997).
- ITC Noovo Light (1997).
- ITC Obelisk Medium (1996).
- Oberon (1986-1994, Letraset).
- Pristina (1994).
- The calligraphic ITC Regallia (1998) was one of his last faces before he died.
- ITC Rennie Mackintosh (1996): based on the handwriting and drawings of Scottish designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
- Shaman (a great Jurassic Park type font, 1994).
- ITC Samuel.
- ITC Stained Glass (1997).
- ITC Stoclet (1998).
- The wedding invitation font Striptease (1995).
- ITC Tempus (1995, +Sans and Sans Italic).
- Latin flavors should check Zaragoza (1995).
- Zennor (1995): a brush face.
Klingspor link. FontShop link.
View Phill Grimshaw's typefaces. [Google]
A subsidiary/part of House Industries in Yorklyn, DE. I quote: Photo-Lettering was a mainstay of the advertising and design industry in New York City from 1936 to 1997. PLINC, as it was affectionately known to art directors, was one of the earliest and most successful type houses to utilize photo technology in the production of commercial typography and lettering. It employed such design luminaries as Ed Benguiat and sold type drawn by the likes of Herb Lubalin, Milton Glaser and Seymour Chwast as well as countless other unsung lettering greats. The company is best known by most of today's graphic designers for its ubiquitous type catalogs. Physically, the collection takes up about 1500 cubic ft (42 cubic meters) of space and consists of film negatives and positives of most of the 6500 fonts produced in the company's 55 years. There are also countless patterns, cartouches, borders and dingbats, all of which have been preserved in film negative form. Each negative is approximately 28 in (71 cm) by 5 in (13 cm) high. House Industries, a Yorklyn, Delaware-based independent type foundry, purchased the entire physical assets of Photo-Lettering in April of 2003. Through a partnership with Ken Barber, Christian Schwartz and Erik van Blokland, House Industries is carefully digitizing select alphabets from the collection and plans to offer them through a modern web-based interface. The Photo-Lettering interface has allowed us to reach beyond the rigid confines of typography to offer extended features such as layering, color control and multiple master interpolation over six axes. With some of the most talented minds in display typography behind this new display lettering system, users of the system will enjoy the same refined typography as the original Photo-Lettering customers.
A snapshot of their production, as of mid 2012, in alphabetical order:
- Atrax. A Mexican simulation typeface.
- Aztec. A videogame typeface.
- Banjo Playbill. A tear drop typeface.
- PL Barclay Outline.
- BenguiatBuffalo. By Ed Benguiat.
- BenguiatCaslon, BenguiatCaslonOutline, BenguiatCaslonPlain. By Ed Benguiat.
- PL Brazilia (sans).
- PL Britannia.
- Bubblegum, Bubblegum Drop.
- Carlyle Eventide. A 3d titling face.
- CopelandMilo. A connected script by L.H. Copeland.
- CopelandTrilliumFills, CopelandTrilliumOutline. A beveled prismatic typeface by L.H. Copeland.
- DARegatta. A flared didone.
- DAmicoGothic. A casual flared typeface.
- DavisonBaroque. A Western / Tuscan typeface.
- FederalTwelveDiagonal, FederalTwelveHorizontal. These are engraved copperplate typefaces.
- PL Fiorello (squarish sans).
- Galaxy Didot (based on a didone typeface by C.E. Coryn).
- Goliath. A fat Egyptian typeface with a wood style flavor.
- HanoverBold. A nice Fraktur typeface.
- HaslerCircus. A Tuscan circus font.
- HenrionBA. A beveled typeface with several layers.
- HouseGothicWide. A shadowed unicase typeface.
- Housebroken. A two-layer stencil caps face.
- PL Latin.
- Mierop Inline. A bilined art deco typeface.
- Millstein Flourish. A beautiful tall-descender typeface.
- PL Modern Heavy Condensed.
- Neutra Inline, Neutra Thin. Neutra Thin is a phenomenal geometric hairline sans.
- Norton Slapstick. A wood simulation typeface by S.E. Norton.
- Norton Tape. A stencil paper-fold typeface by S.E. Norton.
- Quaint. After an ornamental typeface from 1938 by Paul Carlyle and Gus Oring.
- Quintet. A calligraphic connected script
- Raymund Circus (+Inline, +Outlined).
- Smidgen. A signage face.
- SuperstarScript. A bubblegum typeface.
- SwissTwoTone. A display sans with two layers.
- Tiki Palms.
- TimesSquare. A dot matrix typeface.
- Tuggle. An oil slick typeface.
- Voodoo House.
- PL Westerveldt.
- WestBarnumUltra, WestBarnumUltraDrop. A fat Egyptian typeface by Dave West.
- WestBehemoth, WestBehemothItalic. Egyptian typefaces by Dave West.
- WestEmperorScript. A fat didone by Dave West.
- WestThud. A fat signage typeface by Dave West.
- West Elephant. By Dave West.
- West Italiano. A didone by Dave West.
- West Kerpow. A comic book typeface by Dave West.
- Worthe Numerals.
The Great Dane from Copenhagen, the king of grunge, Jakob Fischer, is a kindergarten teacher who designed over 500 fonts. Mini-catalog, part I, part II. Aka PizzaDude, he started out making free fonts, but switched to commercial fonts later. His typefaces:
Direct downloads. In 2004, he started selling some typefaces through Union Fonts. MyFonts link. Home page. Fontsquirrel link. Fontspring link. Dafont link. .
- Tpefaces from 2015: Only Kidding, Kaleidoxope.
- Typefaces from 2014: Mummbler, Respexable, Nothing So Childish, Tied To A Stick, Reminders (an interlocking retro futuristic font), Like A Cat (sketched 3d poster typeface), Today We Escape, Quiet Night (brush face), Love From Me, Love From You, Love From Us, Burph, HundredYears (comic book style font), Shake Hands (sketched font), Laughing at you, Unseen Shores (tattoo font).
- In 2013, he published these commercial fonts: Coin Slot (grainy poster font), Swallow Money, Instant Soup, Inked Lights, Kiss Me Dead (grungy serif face), Show No Shame (comic book font), Imperious, Find A Way, City by the Lake, Breathtaking Beauty, Almost Lovely, Maybe I Was Joking, You Could Be Right, Keep Writing Letters, Words You Lost, Urgency Of Now, Believe In Me, Talk To Me, Summer Fades Away, Piece Of Youth, Not A Chance, Never Fade.
- In 2012: Mixed Up.
- In 2011: Bumbastika (poster face), Blowout (rounded signage face), Hangout (grunge), Regreat (comic book typeface with square counters).
- In 2010: Shuffle Steps (a sketched face), Shakeout (comic book face), Atrofobia, Splurx, Klumpft (grunge), No Consequence, Poilet Paper, Universal Fruitcake, Vitamin, Year Supply of Fairy Cakes, Yesterdays Meal (brush face), Undercover (bilined), Streetwise, Jilly Bean (art deco, hand-printed), Zanoix, Amfost (comic book face), Funky Mother (a curly face), Chicken Salad (comic book face), Retroxoid, Quirky, Mono Exolia, Mono Neox, Mono Litrox, Mono Hexular, Mono Orxith, Mono Iltra, Mono Chix, Gumbutcha (cartoon face), Ghenilo, Firewerk, Family Bird, Bodywerk (a grungy constructivist face), Wagerton (grunge), Strawn (signage face), Drunken Tower (ransom note face; + Drunken Shower), Elogy, Olazy, Hoakey, Nipey, Laxory, Iquory, Chorxy.
- In 2009: Funkboy, Nusqie, Junkwerk, Geekabeat, Flicka (a bouncy comic book face), Sir Render, Imperial Quortex, Jourba, Kurph (round children's script), Ginky, Stereoxoid, Earthwerk, Gibarish, Insiano, Unsprit, Whacker, Natuxal, Battlexoid, Change, Chusp, Aspektogram, Axteroid, Floink.
- In 2008: Everything (comic book), Superxoid (white on black grunge), Eyeful (comic book style), Punctured Bicycle (grunge), Spleach, Sir Spicious, Mirla, Skramp, Jilkyway, Fristy, Sqweash, Aprilfuel, Intense Eve, Drunken Shower, Dandygal, Alien Segment, Endorfinia, Runaway, Scentogram, Typewrither, Ultraxoid (grunge), Legoix (a nice scrapbook pencil font), Heruina (connected hand).
- In 2007: Indoxine (an informal horizontally-striped outline font, one of his best creations), Infilto (sketchbook face), Murbia (printed hand), Orange Gush, Epsiolet (blackboard script), Grut Stuph (comic book), Orange Gush (curly hand), Drunken Hour (ransom note face), Flixuble, Butterfool, Whexjable (paper bag cutouts), Flabioga (grunge), Flambster, Axionhero, Skratzy, Ulsteros, Craptoy, Megaxoid, Nine Thousand, Retrozoid.
- In 2006: Ultinoid, Sabtine (nice curly hand), Sadnez, Happyjamas, Fudshake, Diskojuice, Damaged Guts, Zugarbody, Popfork, Hyperspit, Junktoy, Melonheads, Mister Dorky.
- In 2005: Party Noid, Doktor Terror, Fligerish (romantic retro lettering face), Tomoli2, Teaster (Easter egg dings), Ankertill Brewer, Omibez, Tomoli, Family Dog (comic book face), Vegacute (retro lettering).
- In 2004: Jerky Tash, Hopeless Heart, Sure Shot, Chawsy, Hefty Galloon, Phatburner, Imazeng (Asian imitation), Zir Gera, Glammer Girl (T-26), Japperneese (oriental imitation font), Marmelade Guys, Tagboy, Malonia Voigo, Raskal, Kickshaw.
- In 2003: Abdominal Krunch, Mucho Macho, Just A Dream, Tagboyhardcore (graffiti font), Omegalomania, Cheeky Git, Chenilo (a grunge poster face), Bigbrain, Pizzabot, Schoolbully, Rapjack, Slammertag, Hlytus, Hold Your Breath, Bigmouth, Stumbeleina, Slowmotion Girl, Omegalomania, Bigbrain, Zitkid, Mr Fahrenheit Go, Atomic Clock Radio (dot matrix font), Kitchen Police, Arcade Classic, Digital Dream, Arsenique, Lie Detector, Spamsucker, Ghostboy, Funkheads, Slime Tag, TagStar Hardcore, Diet Riot, Elevator Boy (Chank), Flim (22-style family), Lemon Lies.
- In 2002: Fearless, Good Foot, Idolwild, Ruinik, AngerIsAGift, Insane Hours, MuchTooLoud, Abduction2002, You are what you eat, Yggdrasil, Easily Amused, Toxic Waist, Words of Love, Yesterdays Meal, Dope Jam, Famous Fromage, Geek A Byte, Vinyl Repair Kit, Bring Tha Noize 2, Fancy Footwork 2, Fandango (a comic book font), Quit Smoking, Japan Knees (2002, an oriental LED simulation font at Chank's), Secret Handshake, Eternal Life, Insektogram, Krooked Teeth, Super Glue, Love Bug (a Valentine's font).
- Other earlier or undated fonts: Grand Stylus, jiggery pokery, Monafont (a font with hearts), Fancy Footwork, Grouser, Not Just A Toy, Orangutan, VeryBadPosture, Treasure, Tantrum Tongue, HangTheDJ, MonsterFreak, MouthfulOfBeer, WarmMilk, WideAwake (techno), Wisecrack, DT104, Quickometer, Cirkledingz, HarshLanguage, Vanish, GluttonMan, Radiohead, Radioland (LED face), Eat Your Heart Out (kitchen tile font), Exit Font, In The Arms Of Sleep, Popcorn Not Included, Flashboy, Kill Your Darlings, Nonfiction, Gringo Nights (eroded Western font; almost Mexican), Push, Grunt Reaper, Ultrasonik, As Seen On TV, More Than Human, Raveheart, 10Minutes, 20000dollarbail, 4mylover (Valentine's day lettering font), Abduction, Acquaintance, AgentOrange, Anodetonoone, Anticlimax, Arcade, ArcadeClassic, Autobahn, Backto1982, Ballsontherampage, Bedbug, BeyondControl, BeyondControlvolume2, BionicKidSimple, BionicKidSimpleSlanted, BionicKidSlanted3d, Biteme, Blackboysonmopeds, Blaster, Blatant, BlindMelon, Blindfold, Blobs, Bluelines, BrokenToys, Brushed, Brutality, BrutalityExtra, BubbleBath, Bubbleboy, Bubblegums, Bumbastika, Burlesque, Chinese Takeaway (oriental simulation), ComputerAmok, Creamandsugar, Crosspatchersdelight, Crosspatchersdelightnormal, Curmudgeonly, Delirium, Desperation, Digitek, Diskoteque, Dreammachine, Dreamofme, Earthquake, Embroidery, Exoneration, Extravirgin, EyeOnlyHaveEyesForYou, Fadetogrey, FakePlastic, FatBoySmiles, Fazingsone, Firestarter, FlakJacket, Flaphead, Flashback, Flashbackversion3, Flashit, Foot Fight (2003), FreaksofNature, FunkyStoneage, Funnyfarmhard, Funnyfarmsoft, Futurism, Guineapigs, Gasoline, Ghostwriter, Glamour Girl, Greaseballs, GreatVengeance, Greenhousegas, Guineapigs, Hangover, Highspeed, Holiday, Homeboysarebackintown, Humanoid, Humanoidstraight, Innocentbystander, Imperfectfont, InnerSanctum, InternationalPlayboy, Invasion2000, IronMan, JointbyPizzaDude, JamesBond, JellyBelly, JointbyPizzaDude, JoyCards, JuneBug (fat comic book face), JustAnotherFont, Kometenmelodie2, Kitchenpolice (techno/futuristic), Klytus, Kleptomaniac, Knucklesandwich, KometenMelodie1, Kookaburra, Lazerbeamsurprise, Liquidism (dripping blood), Liquidismpart2, Logiclodger, LotsOfDotz, LoveLetters, MassiveHeadache, MunsterBash, Mutant, Mute Fruit (stencil font), Madscientist, Madscientist, Malapropism, MammaGamma, MassiveHeadache3, MassiveHeadacheII, MaximumSecurity (horizontally striped), Miserable, Mixedup, MotorcycleEmptiness, MunsterBash, Naghead (2004), NeverSayDie, Nonstop, Nonstopitalic, Nugacity, Nyctalopia, Nyctalopiatilt, Obliviousfont, Onceinawhile, Operatinginstructions (glyphs with writing direction arrows), Opium, Oxygene1, PartyBalloons, Piracy, PizzaDudeFatOutline, PizzaDudesHandwriting, PlanetDust, Plastique, PrivateInvestigations, Protection, Pusher, Questionoftime, Questionoftimesimple, Quicksilver, QuotedPositivity, RepeatUntilFalse, Retaliator, Radioaktivitet, RainyDays, RepeatUntilFalse, Retaliator, Robotica, RoboticaAllCaps, Rocketman, Rubberneck, Sk8ordye, Slammertag (2003), Scratchmyback, Shakethatbooty, Shopliftersunite, SkaterDudes, SoftSugarfade, SoftSugarplain, SomewhereInSpace, Spaceboy, SpeedCrazy, SqueezeMeBaby, StickAroundForJoy, StrangePhenomenaNormal, StrangePhenomenaOutlined, Sweetascandy, SyntheticSyncronism, TagsXtreme, TagsXtreme2, TastelessCandy, Teenageangst, Timebomb, Toforgive, Transistor215, Typewriterfromhell, Ultimatum, Underattack, Underattackskew, Undercover, UnfinishedSympathy, UnfinishedSympathy2, Us, Venusflytrapthebug, VeryChristmess (2003), Videophreak, Vitamin, Vitaminoutlined, VulgarDisplayOfPower, WakingtheWitch, WishfulWaves, Wreckage, Xtraordinary, Youngatheart, Youthquake, Zitcream, Zenith2000, ElectricBoots, Jealousy, Noodlesoup, PizzaDudePointers, PizzaDudeStars, Waybeyondblue, XrayTed, XrayTedskew, ZingDing, DigitalDream (2003, LED simulation), PizzaDuide Bullets, Bubbleboy 2, Endeavour Forever, Konspiracy Theory, Krazy Nights (hand-printed).
View Jakob Fischer's typefaces. View Pizzadude's typefaces. [Google]
Barcelona-based designer of the alchemic typeface Mana Sans (2011). He writes: A commissioned display font I designed for the Mexican band Maná in late 2011. It was finally used for one of their songs on the new album, as part of the visuals for their live shows on the last tour around South America and USA. Available from Ultra Types.
Other fonts by him from 2012 include Geoda (a geometrically designed font), Modula Mono (a monospaced bold organic caps set, available from Ten Dollar Fonts), Mana (alchemic), and Marina (this three-style text family is his final project for the Masters in Advanced Typography at EINA).
In 2013, he designed the 900-glyph geometric display sans typeface Sifonn Pro (Ultra Types), which is loaded with interlocking pairs. There is a basic tweetware version.
In 2015, he published Yorokobu Isometric for the Yorokobu cover---it is a 3d Escher-style typographic piece. In that year, he also made a set of travel / wayfinding icons called Trippeo, the circle-based Rotula Display.
Behance link. Home page. [Google]
Raul Andres Perez Canseco
Red Rooster Typefoundry
Red Rooster is a Cedars, PA-based foundry run by Steve Jackaman (b. 1954, Greenwich, London). Steve started out at London's Face Photosetting. Red Rooster was founded in Philadelphia in 1990 and has about 500 fonts, mostly complete text families in the classical mould, revivals of Ludlow and other foundries, and revivals of fonts by Canadian designer Les Usherwood from the phototypesetting era. Families of fonts:
FontShop link. MyFonts link.
- Alexon (1993, by Les Usherwood), Alghera, Alphabet Soup (2007, a delicatessen signage typeface based on an 80s font he did while at Typographic House in Boston), Alys (calligraphic), Appleyard (1992, A. Pat Hickson), Aquarius (2007, based on a VGC font by that name), Argus (1992, Les Usherwood and Paul Hickson)
- Badger, Bannock Brae Gothic, Banque Gothique, Bassuto, Beckenham (1992, Les Usherwood and Paul Hickson), Bellini (an Egyptian family), BlockGothic (1996, Steve Jackaman at the Rabbit Reproductions Typefoundry), Bodoni Black Condensed (after R.H. Middleton, 1930), Bodoni Campanile (after R.H. Middleton, 1930), Byron
- Cameo, Canterbury, Canterbury OldStyle, Canterbury Sans (a tall-ascender sans family based on the 1920-1926 design by Morris Fuller Benton for ATF), Casablanca (1997, avant-garde typeface based on Carlos Winkow's Electra), Caslon Extra Condensed (based on a Ludlow face), TCCentury (1996, Les Usherwood and Steve Jackaman at the Rabbit Reproductions Typefoundry), Century New Style, Chamfer Gothic (after a condensed Ludlow typeface, ca. 1898), Chase, Chelsea (1993, Les Usherwood and Steve Jackaman), Claremont, Coliseum (1992, A. Pat Hickson and Julie Hopwood), Commander (1994, Steve Jackaman), Consort (1994, Steve Jackaman), ConranScript, Creighton (2009, a sans family), Coronet (after a 1937 typeface by R.H. Middleton).
- Dominus, Dundee (1993, A. Pat Hickson), Dungeon
- El Paso (2011, a Western/Mexican simulaton typeface based on El Paso from the Face Photosetting collection), Elston, Equestrienne, Erasmus, EuropaGrotesque, Extension
- Faust (1993: based on a 1958 typeface by Albert Kapr), Flexion Pro (2007, by Hal Taylor and John Langdon), Florentine Cursive (after a 1956 script by R.H. Middleton), ForumTitling, Frenchy
- Garamond RR Light (after a 1929 typeface by R.H. Middleton), Gargoyle RR (Based on an Adrian Williams design, circa 1976 and Brook Type in 1903 designed by Lucien Pissarro for his private press, Eragny Press), GilmoreFahrenheit, GilmoreSansExtBolExtCondTitl, Gothic Extension, Gothic Medium Condensed (after a 1939 Ludlow typeface), GoudyY38, Grand Canyon (2002, a condensed slab serif family based on wood type). GroveScript
- Hancock, Hauser Script (after a 1934 Ludlow font by Georg Hauser), Helium (1994, a mini slab serif face), Hess Old Style (1993, a revival of the garalde typeface Hess Old Style by Sol Hess for Lanston, 1920-1923), Honduras
- Inverness, Iron Maiden RR
- Jardine, Javelin, Jolly Roger (2003, a digitization of a 1970 font by Phil Martin), Jubilee
- Keyboard, Kingsley, Kingsrow
- Leighton, Lesmore, Los Alamos (2007, a condensed sans companion of Grand Canyon)
- Madrid (based on Nacional, a 1941 typeface by Carlos Winkow), Maximo, Mechanic Gothic DST, Megaphone, Motorcross (2008, after an art deco font from 1930 by Ludwig&Mayer)
- PallMall, Phoenix Pro (2011), Phosphate (based on Phosphor by J. Erbar, 1922-1930; contains a nice Inline; Phosphate Pro Solid and Inline was done with Ashley Muir in 2010), Pipeline, Poor Richard, Portobello (loosely based on Aldo Novarese's Pontecorvo)
- Radiant RR (after a 1938 typeface by R.H. Middleton), Railroad Gothic (an American caps-only grotesque based on a Ludlow original, ca. 1900), Raleigh, RRRaleighGothic, Razor Bill (based on the original typeface from Face, London, circa 1972), Ribbit, RivoliInitials
- Rocklidge Pro (2011, with Ashley Muir). Based on Jana (Richard D. Juenger, VGC, 1965).
- Roman Tyres (1997).
- SaintLouis, Salzburg, Schiller Antiqua (based on Nacional's Hispalis), Schindler, Secret Service Typewriter (2002, based on a 1905 proof of an early Remington typewriter font from the Keystone Type Foundry), Shinn, Shortwave Gothic, Silverado, Sinclair, Sphinx (1992, Steve Jackaman, based on a 1925 design by Deberny&Peignot), Stanhope, Stirling, Superba, Sycamore
- TCAdminister (1994, Les Usherwood and Steve Jackaman), Tempo, Thingbat, TitanicCondensed, Triple Condensed Gothic
- Ultraduck, Ultra Modern RR (after a 1928 art deco typeface by Douglas McMurtrie).
- Venezuela (2000, Mexican simulation face, based on Albert Auspurg's Vesta from 1926, created by Pat Hickson), Veronese
- Waverly, Willard Sniffin Script (2007, based on Willard Sniffin's 1930s ATF brush script called Keynote)
- Yeoman Gothic
- Xctasy Sans (2002, an avant-garde family influenced by the the 1960s typeface Design Fineline)
Text listing of their typefaces. Alphabetic catalog of the Red Rooster typeface library [large web page warning]. [Google]
Buenos Aires-based designer. In 2015, he made the Aztec-inspired Xibalbé typeface. This is an ornamental typeface designed for the Ministry of Culture of Mexico to be used in billboards, panflets, official communications and cultural magazines. Behance link. [Google]
[Page Studio Graphics (or: Pixymbols)]
Type foundry in Sheffield, UK. Its designer, Dave Rowland (b. 1982, Chesterfield) grew up in Sheffield, UK, but was based in Japan, the Philippines, Liverpool, Surat Thani, Thailand, and Koh Samui, Thailand [where he presently lives]. MyFonts Interview.
He created these fonts in 2009: Quesadilla (signage type, Mexican simulation face), Quesadilla Shadow, Schizotype Scrolls, Quiff, Toothpaste, Astroboy (connected script), Decolletage (art deco), Kazumi Sans, Acid Haus, Dr. Black, Dr. Eric, Soyo Gogo, BMX radical (brush), Team, Miami Hopper, and Tubularis (multiline face), Sickle, Klique (futuristic display face), Uncle Eric (a cartoon face), Praline Smooth (connected script in the style of Mistral), Kwaktur, (blackletter typeface based on the logo of Belgium's Kwak beer), Blackball (another blackletter) and Modulogue (a modular display family).
Additions in 2010: Christmas Tuscan (a modular Tuscan), Masonic Lodge, Mook (a retro, unicase, bubble font), Toothpaste 2, Gaden Sans (organic monoline typeface that includes a hairline weight), Sizemore (all caps slab headline face), Quickscript (signage face), New Wave.
Fonts designed in 2011: Brag Pro (like Brag, a Cooper Black alternative), Brag Stencil Pro, Chestnut (curly, hand-printed), Brag (a fat round face in Cooper Black style), Gelato Script (a connected signage face), Brag Stencil (2011), Streetscript (2011, brushy signage face).
In 2011, he created a quaint text family, Vulpa, with quirky foxtail terminals.
Typefaces from 2012: Margot (a rounded slab serif described as a lovechild of American Typewriter and Cooper Black), Range Serif (an angular typeface), Pastiche Brush (a brushy connected script inspired by the titles of the 1959 movie Imitation of Life (Wayne Fitzgerald)), Quayside (a bulbous baseball or signage script).
Typefaces from 2013: Alight Slab (hairline slab), Anultra Slab (a heavy bold slab serif), Ollie (a connected baseball or signage script), Urge Text (an extensive modern text family with ample language support and plenty of mathematical symbols, and large ball terminals).
Typefaces from 2014: Range Sans (a grotesque sans family with the quirky angular cutouts inherited from Range Serif), Samui Script (upright connected script), Streetscript Redux (signage script), Price Didone (created for setting elegant price tags).
Typefaces from 2015: Bali Script (creamy signage script), Flat Sans.
Klingspor link. Behance link.
Showcase of Schizotype's typefaces at MyFonts. MyFonts interview. [Google]
[G. Alex Gonzalez]
Cletus (G. Alex Gonzalez of Long Beach, CA) made three free fonts: ElHombre (1999), OlKelly, and the handwriting font Arnett. Handwriting and signature font service as well. Hombre at Chank. At MyFonts, one can buy Orange Whip (2005), a multiline caps face, and El Hombre. [Google]
SoftMaker Software GmBH (now: freefont.de)
SoftMaker, Martin Kotulla's German foundry in Nürnberg, is selling the 10,000-TrueType font Megafont XXL CD (50 USD, www.megafont.de). Every month, a different font or font family (TT and T1) is given away for free. The MegaFont XXL has most standard Monotype/Adobe/Linotype families (up to 1995/1996). They say that most fonts are licensed from URW++ and Brendel Informatik (Cologne). Contents of MegaFont XXL's predecessor, MegaFont Profi CD, here. Since early 2001, you can download one font family from the CD MegaFont XXL here. Martin Kotulla also started infiniType, a collection of 5050 fonts at a good price (Mac and PC). The XXL series has character sets for Western and Central European languages, Turkish, and Celtic, and comes with many expert sets. For historical accuracy: older packages by Softmaker include the 3333-font (TT and T1) MegaFont Profi CD-2.0 (99DM), the 5000-font MegaFont Euro (50 Euro), the Truepack Profi-CD and the 500-font TypeMaker 5.0 Profi-Pack (10DM).
Their early fonts were renamed and had the attribute Serial in the name. Samples of some of these fonts/families: Adelon Serial (1996, after Albertus MT), Melbourne Serial, Nashville Serial (+Heavy), Nevada Serial, On Stage Serial, Ornitons Serial, Penthouse Serial, Plakette Serial, Priamos Serial, Quadrat Serial, Quebec Serial, Riccione Serial, Rochester Serial, Salzburg Serial, Stafford Serial, Sunset Serial, Sydney Serial, Thames Serial, Toledo Serial, Valencia Serial (Heavy), Valencia Serial (Xlight), Verona Serial, Volkswagen Serial, Wichita Serial.
In 2008, SoftMaker started selling fonts on MyFonts: fonts there include the 28-style Suetterlin family (2008), based on the handwriting taught in German schools in the first half of the 20th century, Harald Handwriting (2009), Agilo Handwriting (2009), Wally Handwriting (2009), Vittorio Handwriting (2009), Turandot Handwriting (2009), Tommi Handwriting (2009), Veneto Handwriting (2009), Tolomeo Handwriting (2009), Sarx Handwriting (2009), Salew Handwriting (2009), Roxana Handwriting (2009), Renate Handwriting (2009), PizPaz Handwriting (2009, Mexican style), Schneid Handwriting (2009), Pietro Handwriting, Phil Handwriting, Nadine Handwriting, Kuno Handwriting, Larissa Handwriting, Lizzy Handwriting, Juri Handwriting, Jeff Handwriting (2009), Josh Handwriting (2009), Jelena Handwriting (2009), Jaro Handwriting (2009), Jacques Handwriting (2009), Hilly Handwriting (2009), Harico Handwriting (2009), Hakon Handwriting (2009), Stone Handwriting (2009), Federico Handwriting (2009), Fabio Handwriting (2009), Emmi Handwriting (2009), Davio Handwriting (2009), Alec Handwriting (2009), Brian Handwriting (2009), Armand Handwriting (2009), Claude Handwriting (2010), Cathy Handwriting (2010), Clay Handwriting (2010), Danielle Handwriting (2010), Feliks Handwriting (2010), Foster Handwriting (2010), Giorgio Handwriting (2010), Giovanna Handwriting (2010), Guga Handwriting (2010), Giuliano Hanriting (2010), Carlo Handwriting (2009), Brouet Handwriting (2010), Bjarne Handwriting (2009), Agnieszka Handwriting (2009) and Thery Handwriting (2009).
Additions in 2010: Tabasco (a geometric based on the phototype font by John Schaedler), Tabasco Twin (a bilined typeface after John Schaedler's Paprika), Advertisers Gothic (a revival of a 1917 typeface by Robert Wiebking), Ad Lib (a revival of a quirky 1961 typeface by Freeman Craw for ATF), Accent (brush face), Flagstaff (oblique techno face), Cornered (with angular pieces), Abilene (Western; caps only), Comix, Cathedral Open (nice open face), Boa Script (2010), Bryce (2010, brush script), Brush Script (2010, after the original ATF font by Robert E. Smith from 1942), Bernhard Fashion (2010), Abbott Old Style (2010, after a 1901 semi-Victorian font by Joseph W. Phinney), Artistic (2010, after Ariston, a 1933 typeface by Martin Wilke), Elegant Script (2010, a revival of Berthold's Englische Schreibschrift), Garamond Serial (2011), the Suetterlin family.
The typefaces remastered in 2012 include Chandler Pro (this is Rofer Excoffon's 1955 brush typeface Choc; see also Staccato 555 by Bitstream and Chalk by Corel), Cheltenham Pro, Cleargothic Pro (after Morris Fuller Benton's flared version of Clearface, Clearface Gothic, 1907), Cooper Black Pro (+Stencil), Tioga Script Pro (after Georg Trump's 1956 script by that name, but aka Time Script).
Free download: Huntington-Bold [-> Handel Gothic], Huntington-Light, ImperialStd-Bold [-> URW Imperial] ImperialStd-BoldItalic, ImperialStd-Heavy, ImperialStd-HeavyItalic, ImperialStd-Italic, ImperialStd-Medium, ImperialStd-MediumItalic, ImperialStd-Regular, ImperialStd-Xbold, ImperialStd-XboldItalic, KremlinScript-Bold [-> Kuenstler Script], RaleighSerial-Bold, RaleighSerial-Heavy, RaleighSerial-Regular, Scott [-> Stop], TiogaScript-Bold [-> Time Script], TiogaScript-Light, TiogaScript-Medium.
Handwring fionts shown at MyFonts in 2013: Allan Handwriting, Andrew Handwriting, Eleanor Handwriting, Enrico Handwriting, Estelle Handwriting, Jay Handwriting, Jaz Handwriting, Jesco Handwriting, Justine Handwriting, Kris Handwriting, Laszlo Handwriting, Lennart Handwriting, Luitpold Handwriting, Manolo Handwriting, Marbo Handwriting, Marcello Handwriting, Murielle Handwriting, Pablo Handwriting, Paolo Handwriting, Pascal Handwriting, Picto Handwriting, Rainer Handwriting, Reyno Handwriting, Ronaldo Handwriting, Teje Handwriting, Theo Handwriting, Valerian Handwriting, Vincent Handwriting, Vogel Handwriting, Volker Handwriting, Wilma Handwriting.
View the Softmaker library of typefaces. See also here. [Google]
Quebec-based designer (b. 1971) in 2010 of the outline face Elégante and of the grunge faces Apocalypse Regular, Arbre, Autodestruction, Papineau (hand-printed), de Lorimier, Gardien d'herbe, Elusion (organic), Cataclysme (grunge), Wolfred Nelson (rubber stamp caps), Chénier (grunge), Crack and Bold, Fleur de Lys (dingbats that are useful pour mon pays), Manuscrit, Ancien (grungy inline face), Confusion, Patriote 1837 Regular, Arbre (hand-printed) and Cloutier Script (hand-printed).
Typefaces created in 2011: Sioux Caps (ornamental caps: a scanbat face), Flower Cap (floriated caps), Damned (a grungy horror movie typeface), Sketch Me (a sketched face).
Typefaces from 2012: Dill Francis, I Hate Futur, Fabrics (stitch font), Stucco, Children, Hacking Trashed, Flower (floriated caps), Arbre, Patriotes 1837, Damned Deluxe, Trashed Light (grunge), Leather (ornamental caps), Punk Rock Show, Crack And Bold, Ana Eve (grunge), British Museum 1490 (ornamental caps), Nature Font (grungy caps), Chenier (grunge), Mosaique (a textured typeface), Motor Pieces (commercial), Mixtec Codice (Maya, Aztec or Inca dingbats), Parkinson (grungy outlines), Ludger Duvernay, Monster, Sponge, Napoleon (a nice fat poster face), Negative Film, Nelson Old Newspaper, Fuck Autority (sic), Rene Levesque (hand-printed), First Nation (an Indian scanbat face), Pustule, Emilie (hand-printed caps), Papineau (hand-printed), Sixties, Dali, Midnight (brush face), Fairy Tale (ornamental caps), Tiger Balloon (African-themed), Rafael (fat poster face), Sacred Place (heavy poster family), Pistache Regular (unicase Plakat font), Morning Stress, Hippie Gypsy (ornamental caps), FBI Old Report (old typewriter face), Mitsouskos, Ten O Clock (a multiline hand-printed face), Strawbwrry, Jewels, CF Night of the Damned, CF One Two Trees (tree-themed), Hagadou (bejeweled letters), CF Punk Forever (white on black grunge), CF Anabelle (curly script), CF Samurai Bob, CF Marie-Eve, CF Christmas Shit, CF Pinceau (fat brush face), CF Deco 1492, CF Cracked Stone, CF Metropolis Serif, CF Punky, CF Snowball (snow-capped glyphs), CF Tuques, CF Revolution, CF Fashion, CF Tissus, CF Christmas Letters, CF Diamond (diamond-studded letters), CF Stencil Orama, CF Dallas Stars (stars and stripes face), CF Old Photograph Credit Font, CF Christmas Letters.
Typefaces from 2013: CF National Stitches, CF Spaceship, Historia (sans caps), CF WireFrame, CF NaVia, CF Sortilege, CF Spirality, CF Charlie, CF Fredo Style, CF Little Monsters (alphadings), CF Tissus, CF I Love Montreal (fat finger face), CF Jungle, CF Paris (art deco caps), CF Marie Eve Cartoons, CF Circuit Electrique, CF Jack Story, CF Punk Attitude, CF Billabong, CF I Want To Believe Comp (grunge), CF Zombie Party (crayon or lipstick font), CF Life Is Beautiful (paint font), CF Gothika (grungy blackletter), CF Manifesto (painted letters), CF Rise of Nations, CF The Lost Batallion, CF Armageddon, CF Electronic Board, CF Old Typography (letterpress font), CF Modern 165, CF Hockey Players (dingbats published on the day the Montreal Canadians were humiliated, 6-1, by the Ottawa Senators in the Stanley Cup playoffs), CF Nelson Old Caracters (sic), Peru Adventure, CF Montreal High School (athletic lettering), Urban Life (textured font), CF Same Old Story (grunge), CF Plants And Flowers, CF Cant Change The World (clean, hand-printed), CF Jeanne Mance, CF Jeans Collection (textured), CF Alien Abduction, CF Rebelle (brush font), CF Jungle Adventure, CF Never Trust A Hippy, CF Anarchy (ransom note font), CF Life Is A Dream (grunge), CF Farwest, CF Typocraft, CF Politicians Killers (blood drip face), CF Technomania, CF Technorama, CF I Love Ugly Fonts, CF Ribbon, CF Tree Of Life, CF Revenge, CF Back to School, CF Nut And Bolts, CF Final Conflict (brush script), CF Nostalgia (brush face), CF Industrial Fabrics (textured face), CF Font Shading, CF Rock Age, CF Nouvelle France (antiqued alphabet), CF My Bloody Valentine, CF Ceinture Flechee (multilined typeface), CF Disappointed, CF Atlantide, CF Bucherons (texture face), CF Simon Marchessault (hand-printed), CF Haunted House (brush face), Gray Texture, CF Space Cowboy (textured typeface), CF Louis Cyr.
Typefaces from 2014: CF Goliath, CF Alone on Earth, Stencil o Rama, Bad News (textured face), CF Xerography, CF Milk, CF Springtime, CF Crayons, CF Dwarf, CF Asshole Politicians, CF Old Milwaukee (spurred typeface), CF Paris Old Style (grungy Peignotian typeface), Creature of Darkness (textured typeface), Quebec Stamp (grungy stencil), Schizophrenia (neurotic typeface), La Belle Helene, CF William Wallace, CF Dots 521, CF LCD 521, CF America, CF Left Behind, CF Jacques Cartier, CF My Best Friend, Flowers of Destiny.
Typefaces from 2015: CF Rise of Nation (bold poster typeface), CF Punk (grungy capitals), Baron Rouge, General Tao (oriental simulation font), CF Mother Board (circuit font), CF John Doe (sketched), CF Crayons de Plomb, CF US Army (textured type), CF White Trash (Treefrog style), CF Punk Rock Show, CF Denim Jeans, CF School Handwriting, CF Nuclear War (very grungy caps face), CF Jack Story, CF Civilisation Maya (textured typeface), CF Punk Is Not Dead, CF Calligraphia, CF Life Is A Dream (grungy textured font), CF Blueprint.
Fontspace link. Klingspor link. Dafont link. Creative Market link. [Google]
[Red Rooster Typefoundry]
[BluHead Studio LLC]
TechnoFace Digital Type Foundry
Val Fullard is the Toronto-based designer of the Latin-American semi-dingbats font family FF Mambo (1992, FontShop, a Mexican simulation face), and of Science (Agfa), Deluxe (fifties styler font), Mariachi and FunkedUp (free).
FontFont write-up. Agfa bio. FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
[TechnoFace Digital Type Foundry]
Walter Bernard "Ben" Hunt
This is one of the most talented FontStructors. On Behance, he/she is listed as Van Saarland from Hameenlinna, Finland, and on FontStruct since 2014 as V. Sarela, from Oulu, Finland.
Typefaces from 2011: Teotihuacan (inspired by a Mexican poster), Micra (a monospaced OCR-A font), Fast Driving, Rendez-Vous (a condensed serif font inspired by the cover of "The Essential Jean Michel Jarre"), Carat Condensed, Carat, Wolfen (a copperplate style condensed face), Futuroid (sci-fi), Instrumenta (after Neville Brody's Industria), Modern Vision (based on the opening credits from The Terminator and The Running Man), Future Earth (futuristic: based on a typeface used in The Terminator logo which is also the base for the font "Earth"), Phatprogy (+Extra Phat).
Typefaces from 2012: Modus Operandi, Ikonomi (squarish sans), Genera, Hexathrone, Liquid Crystal Serif, Wulthraesk (constructivist), Electionale, Major (a high contrast didone), Commandant (2012, like Futura Stencil), Comfutur (a beautiful stencil typeface with a bit of Futura Black), Qode (a retro-futuristic LED style typeface), Graphyto (a heavy slab face), Heavy Royale, Thiage (Thai simuation face), Bravis, Cirquetry, Solidis, Velocifero (bilined), Heavy Royale, Jet Set Groove, Reactor A1 (futuristic stencil), Polymoda (an abstract font), Lino II, Sequencer (+Condensed), Hertzace (square retro-futurist), Cifira (art deco), Saturation (monoline sans), Katana (+Bold, +Condensed), Countura (abstract and minimalist), Stripelane (horizontally striped), Vortexa (in the style of Data 70), In Nomine Matrix, Afterburner, Afterburner Phase II, High Rise (Western typeface), Sulaco, Polaroid, Tech Noir (a dot matrix typeface based on the nightclub sign from The Terminator), Slabbers II, Windician (art deco), Cryptocube, DMC 12, Ken Jp (oriental simulation typeface), PxlSQ, Scorpione, Monotronic, Advancer (dot matrix face), Avico, Discolyde, Film Sequence, Modern Vision (based on an unknown typeface which was used in the opening credits of The Terminator, The Running Man, Class of 1999, and also used on Robert A. Heinlein's book covers (there's a font called Heinlein which is similar)), Cromagnon, Gace, Midora Sans, Squarium (constructivist), Cheque Matte (octagonal), Plusminus, Advancer Lite, Magnetofunk (retro-futuristic), Integrafia (piano key stencil face), Network9, Cechida, Rendez-Vous (condensed square slab face), Rendez-Vous II, Equantum, Karelian Stencil, Cryptocube, Neolexia, Ambiente, Stencilae (stencil), Linearis (horizontally striped), Contrafacia A and B (horizontally striped faces), Stereovision, Hypetron (based on the TRON logo), Degré (hexagonal), Typorabilis, Wunderkind (kitchen tile face), Kiova Captura, Biomehanika.
Typefaces from 2013: Starast Maxi, Starast Next, Lugar, Siquid (dot matrix face), Devico (constructivist), Meco (based on Meco's logo), Confiant A, Confiant B, Zerusta, Carat, Combonaut, Jet Set Groove, Cifira, Gace, Condensbit, Synditon, Abciria, Vulthraesk, Rendez-Vous (+II), Instrumenta (based on Neville Brody's Industria), Saturation, RndEX, Rewinder, Power Electronics (an octagonal typeface based on the Captain Power logo), Obsidian Deco (a gorgeous fat piano key typeface), Electrone, Plusminus, Connector Module, Scorpione, Perficio, XOX Design, Da Capo (bold slab serif), Gradiator, Phatprogy, Genexus, Finica Sharp Script, Power Electronics (based on the Captain power logo), Aftertouch (a wide sans), Telecharger, Vicenti, Modicea, Submachine (based on Stanley Davis's Amelia), Genera Deux (a computer font), Genexe, Network 9 (connect-the-dots), Square Earth, Future Earth (trekkie font based on an old Terminator logo), Cechida, Supernature, Siberiada (a great Russian simulation typeface with a medieval touch), Defigma (bilined), Carat, Back to the future (based on the movie logo; called Rewinder on FontStruct), Vibrion (techno face), Connector Module, Wunderkind (a tiled typeface), Yaguar, Pacific Serif (slab serif), Aerogenes (wide techno font), Windician, Commandant (a wide art deco stencil face).
Typefaces from 2014: Brigadier, Freelight (rounded stencil), Stencilae, Protocol Sans, Vicenti, Submachine, Dalecarian, Equantum, Twiphex, Waremann, Wolfen, Waltraud, Carat, Teotihuacan, Rendez-Vous (+II), Major (didone), Ambiente, Kiova Captura (based on the font used in Kiev camera manuals), Glissando, Cheque Matte (athletic lettering font), Vibrixean (sci-fi), Licoricette, Protagon (Greek simulation), Rewinder, Ardeus (futuristic, LED simulation), Techsyna (sci-fi), Rezonans (piano key style), Modern Vision, Trideko Display (multilined typeface), Xeometro (octagonal), Verbica, Megalith (a great black slab), Calibro.
Typefaces from 2015: HI-NRG, Modern Vision (absed on a font used in the opening credits of The Terminator, The Running Man, Class of 1999), Workflow (stencil), Blackwing.
Abstract Fonts link. Behance link. Dafont link. [Google]