| || |
Born in Tockum (near Riga, Latvia) in 1876, he died in Bialystok in 1942. German type designer who designed the classical display typeface Rundfunk at Berthold in 1928. This typeface was digitized by Nick Curtis as Radio Ranch NF. He also designed Radio and Radio Versal in 1928 at H. Berthold AG.
FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
[Carlos Fabián Camargo Guerrero]
Bogotá-based Colombian graphic design studio and type foundry Andinistas was founded in 1998 by Carlos Fabián Camargo Guerrero, Lennyn Salinas, Mariangeles Valero, Juan Carlos Valero, Jorge Alexander Camargo Guerrero, Rafael Rincón, and Jordi Teres. It was first located in Caracas, Venezuela, but moved in 2003 to Bogotá, Colombia. New names in its organization include Alexander Moreno. Many of its designers are Venezuelan.
Among their typefaces: Nikona, Magola (2008, puffy script), Angelita, Pepelepu, Zerotipo, Skuke, Retro, Radio Bemba, Pumarosa, Pr1, Oficia, Nativa, Mongol (free), Lirrot, Leroy (1999-2008, computer screen stripes), Leroy Dingbats (1998-2008), Hiroformica, Hibrida, Guerilla, Guerilla Outline, Gruada, Gancho Petare, Escuedra, Esbelta, DSNett, dia-D, Download, Denego, Cristal, Codiga, Codiga Icon, Codiga Destroy, Codiga Codec, Chacao Petare, Cazon Gothic, Boa, Biol, Ave-cedario, Anaira.
Cazon (2007, Camargo Guerrero) is a family of calligraphic origin consisting of 7 styles: Gris, Negra, Uno, Dos, Tres, Dingbats A and B and is based on the paintbrush letters found in the popular markets of La Guaira, Caracas. This family won an award in the experimental typeface category at Tipos Latinos 2008. Lirrot (2007) is a 6-style grunge handwriting typeface bordering on the psychotic, and comes with Lirrot Dingbats. It too won an award at Tipos Latinos 2008.
PP Lepu (1998-2008) is pixel grunge. Josefina (+Dingbats1) is a curly script also made in 2008. Navaja (2008) and Diad are collections of grunge fonts with grungy dingbats. Lucrecia 1 through 3 (2008) is a fat connected script family ranging from clean to splattered.
Telesforo (2008) radiates anger from its brushy grungy limbs. Telesforo Black won an award at Tiupos Latinos 2012. Ninja 1 and Ninja 2 (2008) are script fonts, and are accompanied by Ninja Dingbats (2008). Dsnet (2008) is a 6-style bare-bones rounded squarish family. Flaminia and Flaminia Dingbats (2008) are useful for food-related signage. Modelia (2008) is thick, informal, and looks like it was brushdrawn. Modelia won an award at Tipos Latinos 2010. Filomena (2008) is a brush family with a goth theme and an accompanying goth dingbats. Obdulia (2008) and Floro (2008) are extreme mural grunge fonts. Marimonda (2009) is grunge calligraphy.
Typefaces from 2012: Demetria (a hellish script), Ciclope (army stencil), Meteora (a sturdy weathered family), Kamuy (a grunge typeface, with dingbats, that links to Asian comic style lettering, and Japan in the Pacific War), Naturalia (an informal sans family).
In 2013, he made Gluten (a poster typeface family), Bengala Script (a distant relative of Mistral), Chef Script (a large signage script influenced by Ross F. George's Speedball lettering manual (1957)), Chef Script Dingbats (hilarious restaurant dings and fists), Sumergible Script.
Typefaces from 2014: Citronela (cartoon or Caribbean hotel signage font family), Bemol (a set of script fonts in craftsman style), Nemocon (creamy script), Acustica (a calligraphic Acustica Script, with didone Acustica Caps, and a decorative Acustica Dingbats), Cereal (+ Script (a vampire script), Skin and Dingbats).
Sonora won an award at Tipos Latinos 2014.
View the typefaces designed by Andinistas.
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Behance link. [Google]
Måns Grebäck (Aring Typeface, Örebro, Sweden) is a prolific Swedish designer (b. Lindesberg, Sweden, 1990), who lives in Borlänge, Sweden. Måns Grebäck has a bachelor's degree in graphic design from the University of Dalarna (2012). In 2010, he went commercial, and started selling fonts through MyFonts. In 2011 he started Mawns Design. In 2013, that was renamed to Aring Typeface. In 2011 he already had over seven million downloads of his fonts, which were featured at websites such as Dafont and Myfonts. He also does custom type work. His typefaces, both free and commercial:
- Acryle Script (2014).
- Amplify (2013). A signage script.
- Angilla Tattoo (2013). a connected spurred tattoo typeface.
- Antlers (2012). A calligraphic script.
- Arachnids (2011, graffiti face)
- Backpack (2014). A thick signage script typeface.
- Barkants (2011, elegantly hand-printed family)
- Beautiful Trouble (2012). A rabbit-eared upright connected script.
- Beaked Tyrant (2014). A copperplate calligraphic script.
- Beckasin (2011, signage face)
- Before The Rain (2011, calligraphic).
- Billion Stars (2013). A tattoo script font.
- Bira (2012). A retro connected brush / signage script.
- Black Fox (2014). A sirupy brush face.
- Blockography (2011)
- Block Talk (2011, with Zaydek Michels-Gualtieri)
- Blods (2011, a great blotty brush face)
- Botanink (2011)
- Brannboll (2011, baseball signage face; Brannboll Ny was done in 2013), Brannboll NY (2013).
- Bready (2011). A retro signage script with art nouveau aroma.
- Brev Script (2014). A connected secretary hand from the 19th century.
- Bronze Script (2014).
- Brother Tattoo (2012).
- Bumblebees (2012). A plump curvy script.
- Calendary Hands (2012).
- Caneletter Sans and Script (2013). Upright unconnected and connected scripts.
- Caprica Sans (2014) and Caprica Script. A plump script.
- Castro Script (2012).
- Celebrater (sic) (2012). An oily font.
- Cellos Script (2013).
- Centeria Script (2012).
- Channel (2011, connected upright script)
- Characteristic (2011). Additional image.
- Chavenir (2011).
- Clear Line (2012). A fat finger / signage typeface.
- Clipper Script (2011).
- Coneria Script (2012). A connected script.
- Crackin (2011)
- CutScript (2011, connected script)
- Echinos Park Script (2012).
- Ekologie Hand (2012).
- Enlighten (2011)
- Delinquente (2012).
- Denigan (2011, hairline)
- Equal Sans (2012).
- Espesor Olas (2011, fine hand-printed calligraphic family)
- Europe Underground (2010, geometric sans with a hairline weight)
- Faltura (2011, constructivist), Faltura Alien (grunge), Faltura Guerra (grunge)
- Faltura Animals (2011)
- Feathergraphy Decoration (2011, calligraphic).
- Dollie Script (2013).
- Feathergraphy Clean (2011).
- Fibography (2013). A caps typeface composed of fibers.
- Filbert Brush (2012), Filbert Color (2013, a soft brush font).
- First Lyrics (2011)
- Frankentype (2013). An all-caps brush typeface for signage.
- Funkygraphy (2011, fat and counterless)
- Ghang (2011, graffiti family).
- Greback Grotesque (2012). The Thin is very very thin.
- Gretoon (2011, cartoon family)
- Handtalk (2010, silhouettes)
- Harbell (2013).
- Hard Block (2011, Western slab face)
- Hemmet (2013). A signage script.
- Hitalica (2011), Housegrind (2013, connected script).
- Impregnable (2013). A connected script.
- Intrique Script (2013). A baseball script.
- Jacked Eleven (2011), Jacked Eleven Highlight (2011), January Script (2013).
- Kerater (2011, sans)
- Lace 2.0 (2012). A thin connected script codesigned with Matteo Milazzo.
- Lakesight (2014). A connected script.
- Las Enter (2013). A neon light script.
- Let Me Ride (2011)
- Levitee (2011, a lively connected script).
- Lighthouse (2013). A bold high-contrast script face.
- Lina Script (2012). A tattoo script done with Vicky Mardian.
- Lyrics Movement (2011, tall-ascendered hand).
- Martyric (2014, brush script),
- Masteries (2013). A connected formal script.
- Mastoc (2014).
- Milkyway Hotel (art deco sans).
- Monsta Tag (2013): a graffiti font.
- Motion Picture (2013). A heavy connected retro script.
- Mount (2012).
- MAWNS Graffiti (2010) and MAWNS Serif (2010)
- MAWNS Handwriting (2010).
- Made With B (2011, sketched face).
- Mardian (2012). A calligraphic tattoo script done with Vicky Mardian.
- Markera (2011, marker pen family)
- Many Weatz (2011)
- Mawns Rock (2011)
- Monoment (2011). A fat upright connected script.
- Normale (2014). A set of distressed typewriter fonts.
- Notera (2014). A connected handwriting font.
- Optien (2011, techno face)
- Ordinatum (2011, a severe sans)
- Ornamental Versals (2011, ornamental caps)
- Pennybridge 1563 (2010, blackletter)
- Pharmount (2014). A calligraphic connected script.
- Phraell (2013). A great italic formal calligraphic script with optional swashes.
- Pineapple (2012).
- Prime Script (2012).
- Prognostic (2011)
- Quickier Pro (2012). A swashy calligraphic script face.
- R-2014 (2011, LED face)
- Radio 187.5 (2010, techno family)
- Rakoon (2014). A creamy ultra-fat upright script.
- Recorda Script (2013). A formal calligraphic script.
- Reditum (2014). A decorative script.
- Reeler (2014).
- Remachine Script (2013). Retro signage script.
- Respective (2011, calligraphic script, +Swashes)
- Rider (2011, a 30-style "versal" sans family)
- Ringer (circle and arc-based sans)
- Roskrift (2011, calligraphic; + Roskrift Clean)
- Ruthless Wreckin (graffiti faces), Ruthless Drippin' (dripping paint family)
- Sculptor's Hand (2011, connected chancery hand)
- Second Lyrics (2011, Treefrog-style handwriting)
- Servin' for Salute (2011)
- Shipped Goods (2011). A copperplate calligraphic script.
- Shortbrush (2011)
- Signerica (2011, connected flowing hand)
- Sketchica (2011, sketchy face)
- Society Editor (2013, connected script).
- Snacker Comic (2013).
- Snowstreet (2013, an octagonal typeface) and Snowy (2013).
- Some Weatz (2011, calligraphic, copperplate; +Swashes)
- Soth African (2014). A movie poster brush typeface.
- Southern Aire (2013, connected script face).
- Square Worm (2011)
- Stainy (2013). A signage script.
- Stroke Dimension (2011, 3d face)
- Suecos Locos (2011---yummy!).
- Sultan Cafe (2014). An interlocking poster typeface.
- Sverige Script (2012). Calligraphic wedding font.
- Tamoro Script (2014).
- Tevegraphy (2011, elliptical)
- The World is Yours (2011, quaint)
- Throwupz (2011)
- Tipbrush Script (2011).
- Top Comic (2013). A very fat cartoon bubble face.
- Treehouse (2011, upright connected script; +Snowhouse for a snow-covered version)
- Tusch Touch 1 (2011)
- Two and Three (2011: a tattoo parlor blackletter family)
- Typographic Onedalism (2011, graffiti simulation face).
- Undergone (2014). Decorative and calligraphic.
- Ventography (2013). A bold signage script.
- Walk Da Walk One
- Wankstaberg Battles (2010, a tall fat script)
- Wild Growth (2011).
- Xtreem (2012) and Xtreem2 (2014).
- Yanty, Yanty Big, Yanty Script, and Yanty Script Big (2012).
- Yaquote Script (2014).
- Yoghurt (2011).
View Mans Grebäck's typefaces.
Abstract Fonts link. Fontspace link. MyFonts link. Another URL. Dafont link. Klingspor link. Buy fonts directly from Måns Grebäck. Old URL. [Google]
Art deco faces by Nick Curtis: I
Free art deco faces by Nick Curtis, made between 1997 and 2003. Nick Curtis also made commercial art deco faces, but these will be listed elsewhere.
- AmstelHeavyNF (2002): based on this poster from 1926 by C. De Haas.
- AmsterdamTangram (2002): based on this poster by Joost Swarte from 1987 entitled "De wereldtentoonstelling van Joost Swarte".
- AnchorSteamNF (2002): based on a poster from 1923 by Wilhelm Poetter.
- Rainbow Bass (1982, Saul Bass) a vertically striped disco style design, was remade by Nick Curtis as Backstage Pass (1999, 2008).
- BeckerBlackNF (2002, 2007): Based on Alf R. Becker's lettering.
- BigAppleNF (2000, 2007).
- BoogieNightsNF, BoogieNightsShadowNF (2002, 2007): based on this poster from 1916 by Paul Hosch and Hans Melching. In 2009, CheapProFonts made a "pro" version.
- BoomerIngueNF (2002, 2007).
- Bric-aBraqueNF (1999, 2007). Bric-a-Braque was based on Cubist Bold (John W. Zimmerman, 1929).
- ChainsawGeometric (1999). Based on this alphabet by Draim (1928).
- ChippewaFallsNF (2002, 2007). Originally called Hiawatha. See this roadside photograph that inspired Nick.
- Coaster Poster (1999).
- DayPosterBlackNF, DayPosterShadowNF (2002, 2007).
- DebonairInlineNF (2000, 2007). The commercial Debonair Inline (2008) is an extension (uppercase, etc.) of Herbert Bayer's 1931 monocase typeface Architype Bayer, also known as the universal moderrn face.
- DecoBordersNF (1999) and DecoDingbatsNF (2000).
- Drumag Studio NF (2003, 2007).
- DustyRoseNF (2000), DustyRoseRevised (2007): Dusty Rose is an art deco typeface based on the logotype for the Dutch magazine Geillustreerd Schildersblad in 1940, by Anton Kurvers. The commercial Dusty Rose NF was published in 2008.
- EastMarket (1999), EastMarketTwoNF (2007).
- GradoGradooNF (2002, 2007): a Bauhaus-style font, based on this 1932 poster by Urbano Corva.
- Great Lakes (2003, 2007), GreatLakesShadowNF (2007): based on this poster by Peter Ewart (1935).
- Heavy Tripp NF, Heavy Tripp Ultra Bold (2001, 2007). Both Day Tripper NF and Heavy Tripp are based on Dignity Roman, a typeface from 1929 by art deco alphabet designer Alphonso E. Tripp.
- HeraldSquareNF, HeraldSquareTwoNF (2002, 2007): a font family based on a design by Welo shown in Studio Handbook for Artists and Advertisers (1927).
- High Five Jive NF, High Five NF (2001, 2007).
- Indochine NF (2003, 2007). Based on this poster by Joseph-Henri Ponchin (1931).
- Ironick-Normal (1999, 2007): an exaggerated Bernhard Modern.
- KerfuffleNF (2000, 2007). Based on this poster by Chris Van Der Hoef (1920).
- KismetNF. A free font. Based on this lettering.
- LabyrinthCapital, Labyrinth (1999, 2007). Based on this poster.
- MetroRetroNF (1999, 2007). MetroRetroRedux (2001, 2010) is a commercial version of that.
- Milton Burlesque NF (2000, 2007).
- Monkey Fingers NF (1999, 2007). Based on an alphabet by Otto Heim published in Farbige Alphabete (1925).
- MunchausenNF (2003, 2007). Based on a poster for an exhibition by Ludwig Heinrich Jungnickel (1911). This is inbetween art deco and art nouveau.
- NickerbockerNF (1999, 2007).
- NightcapCapital, Nightcap NF (1999, 2007). Based on Disque (A. Bardi, 1931).
- OdalisqueNF, OdalisqueRevised (2000, 2007). The commercial versions are Odalisque NF (2008) and Odalisque Stencil (2010). These art deco faces are based on Morris Fuller Benton's Chic (1927).
- ParkLaneNF, ParkLaneRevised (2000, 2007).
- PhattPhreddyNF (2001, 2007).
- PinballWhizNF (2002, 2007). Based on this logotype by Joost Swarte for the comic-strip series "Katoen + Pinbal" (1975).
- PlatonickNF (1999, 2007).
- PlugNickelNF (+Black) (1999, 2007): a reworking of Bremen Black, with small caps and a rather skeptical uppercase R added.
- RadioRanchNF (1999, 2007). Adolf Behrmann designed the classical display typeface Rundfunk at Berthold in 1928. This typeface was digitized by Nick Curtis as Radio Ranch NF.
- RaskalnikovNF (2003, 2007). A Cyrillic simulation typeface based on this poster.
- RialtoEngraved, Rialto NF (2000, 2007): a Broadway style art deco face.
- RiotSquadNF (2000, 2007). after a design by Otto Heim from Heim's 1925 book, Farbige Alphabete.
- RitzyRemixNF (2000, 2007). RitzyNormal is based on Tom Carnase's Busorama.
- Seaside Resort NF (2003, 2007). A bilined titling typeface based on a 1933 poster by Italy's Bertarelli Studios.
- SelznickNormal, SelznickRemixNF (1999, 2007). An art deco typeface inspired by movie theaters of the 1930s. Based on ITC Anna.
- Sesquipedalian, SesquipedalianAlternates (2000, 2007). Inspired by a handlettered logo for Torre's Buckdruckerei in Vienna, circa 1919.
- Sid The Kid NF (1999, 2007).
- Skittles N Beer NF (2007) is based on handlettering on a 1929 brochure for the P&O British-India Steamship Line.
- Standing Room Only NF (1999, 2007). Modeled after Broadway, designed by Morris Fuller Benton for ATF in 1928, originally named Broadway Poster.
- Stony Island NF (2002, 2007). An adaptation of an art deco font called Chicago Modern, designed by lettering artist Alf Becker, whose designs graced the pages of Signs of the Times magazine from the late 30s into the 50s.
- StudebakerNF-Bold, Studebaker (1999, 2007). Based on the lettering on a package for True-Mark Brand Typewriter Ribbons, circa 1938, designer unknown.
- TaraBulbousCapital, TaraBulbousNF (1999, 2007). TaraBulbous NF (the commercial version is from 2008) is a fat-lettered font based on Carlyle-Oring lettering. See also here.
- TitanickDisplayNF (1999, 2007): a remake of the bold pin-striped trilined Dextor by L. Meuffels.
Scottish illustrator (b. Nottingham) who designed Animals (2004), a dingbat font available from Union Fonts. Ben Morris began his career as a graphic designer at two of Scotland's best known design agencies, Tayburn and Teviot. In 1993 he became a freelance illustrator and has subsequently contributed to many periodicals, such as Radio Times, Which? Magazine, Daily Express and Time Magazine. He lives in Edinburgh. [Google]
burodestruct (or: Typedifferent.com)
[Lorenz Lopetz Gianfreda]
Lorenz Lopetz Gianfreda's foundry in Bern, Switzerland, est. 1994, called Burodestruct and Typedifferent.com.
Free fonts include(d) the gorgeous GalaQuadra (by Angela Pestalozzi, 1999), Eject Katakana (1998), Dippex (1995, grunge font), Ticket (1995), Rocket 70 (1996), Ratterbit (1995, pixel font), Plakatbau (1995), Lodel Fizler (1996), Flossy (1995), Faxer (1995), Console Remix (1998), Cravt (1998, by "Katrin"), Stereotype (1998, by M. Brunner), Brockelmann (1995, free), Kristallo (1997, very original display face) and Billiet (1996).
Other fonts: Acidboyz (1998), Alustar (1999), BD Asciimax (1999, ascii art font), BD Billding, Bdr_mono (1999), Brick (1996, like Kalendar), Cluster (1996), Console (1997), Doomed (1998), Eject (1998), Electrobazar (1995), Elside (1995), Globus (1996), Fazer (1996), Lofi (1997), Medled (1995), Paccer (1995), Solaris (1998), Spicyfruits_brush_rmx (1998, a nice high-contrast face), Spicyfruits_rmx, Wurst (free, by Heiwid, 2000), Relaunch (2000), Relaunch Katakana (2000, free), Rainbow (2000), DeLaFrance (2000, free, by Heiwid), Electronic Plastic (2000), Colonius (2001), Cash (2001), Cashbox (2001), Bilding (2001), Meter (2001), Mustang (2001), Bankwell (2001), BD Alm (2001), Balduin (2001), Tatami (2001, oriental look font), Hexades (2001, free), Nippori (2002, techno), Jura (2002), Bonbon (2002, free), Band (2002, free), Navyseals (2002, kitchen tile font), Ritmic (2002), BDR Mono (1999, OCR-like font), Mann (2003, ultra fat stencil), Aroma (2003), Zenith (2003), Nebraska (2003), BD Equipment (2004), BD El Autobus (2004), BD Unexpected (2004), BD Wakarimasu (2004, free kana face), BD Bernebeats (2004, futuristic), BD Deckard (2004), BD Spinner (2004), BD Victoria (2004), BD Designer (2004), BD Kalinka (2005, a curly ultra-fat display face), BD Equipment (2004), BD El Autobus (2004), BD Unexpected (2004), BD Varicolor (2005, stencil), BD Chantilly (2005), BD Memory (2005), BD Emerald (2005, beveled), BD Kalinka (2005, Cyrillic simulation), BD Extrwurst (2005), BD Aquatico (2005), BD Mandarin (2005), BD Polo (2005), BD Beans (2005), BD Tiny (2005, pixel face), BD Times New Digital (2006), BD Panzer (2006), BD Jupiter, BD Jupiter Stencil (2006), BD Pipe (2006), BDR Mono 2006 (2006), BD Fimo Outline (2007, free, by Nathalie Birkle), BD Bermuda (2007, experimental and geometric), BD Smoker (2007, psychedelic), BD Radiogram (2007), BD Mother (2007, exaggerated black Egyptian), BD Fimo Regular (2007, free), BD Demon (2007), BD Reithalle (2007, free), BD Halfpipe (2007, free), BD Broadband (2008, free; not to be confused with the much older fonts BroadbandICG or FLOP Design's Broadband), BD Viewmaster and BD Viewmaster Neon (2008), BD Electrobazaar (2008), BD Motra (2008, stencil), BD Virtual (2008), BD Spacy 125 (2008), BD AsciiMax, BD ElAutobus (2004), BD Equipment (2004), BD Ramen (2003), BD Retrocentric (2009), BDR A3MIK (2009, virile Latin and Cyrillic slab), BD HitBit (2009), BD Unicorse (2010, unicase and techno), BD Telegraph (2011), BD Schablone (2012, stencil face), BD Pankow (2013, stencil), BD Algebra (2014), BD Hiragana Kuro (2014), BD Qualle (2014, a fat poster typeface).
Alternate URL. Dafont link. Behance link.
View the Typedifferent typeface library. [Google]
Canadian designer of the squarish typeface Jet Set (2011), which is based in part on the font used in the Jet Set Radio game. He also made the pixel family Mecha (2012, FontStruct). Fontspace link. FontStruct link. [Google]
Carlos Fabián Camargo Guerrero
Designer in 2008 at FontStruct of Lala (pixelish script), Sunday (great vertical-stripe stencil), Radiotic (rounded), Blabla (experimental). [Google]
D. Stempel (or: Stempel Studio)
Frankfurt-based typefoundry started in 1895 by David Stempel. Took over Roos&June in 1915. Gained a majority share in Klingspor Bros in 1917. Takes over Leipzig's Heinrich Hoffmeister foundry in 1918 and Leipzig's W. Drugulin foundry in 1919. Gains shareholding in the Haas'sche type foundry in 1927, and Benjamin Krebs in 1933. It becomes owner of Klingspor in 1956. In 1985 D. Stempel's type division was taken over by Linotype, and became Linotype's type department. Stempel's history, 1895-1955. Designers and fonts:
- J. F. G. Binder: Binder Style (1959).
- J. Boehland: Balzac (1951).
- H. Bohn: Mondial (1936).
- Walter Brudi: Orbis (1953), Pan (1954).
- W. Buhe: Buhe Fraktur (1915).
- W. Chappell: Trajanus (1939).
- J. Christiansen: Christiansen Schrift (1909).
- F. Heinrichsen: Gotenburg (1935-1937).
- K. Hoefer: Prima (1957), Zebra (1965).
- H. Hoffmeister: Amts Antiqua (1909), Stempel Fraktur (1914).
- Holzhausen: Holzhausen Antiqua (1916).
- M. Jacoby-Boy: Bravour (1912).
- M. Kausche: Mosaik (1954).
- F. W. Kleukens: Gotische Antiqua (1914), Helga Antiqua (1913), Ingeborg Antiqua (1910), Kleukens Fraktur (1911), Omega (1926), Radio Latein (1923, display didone).
- R. Koch: Anzeigenschrift Deutsch (1923).
- H. König: Heinz-König-Setzmaschinen-Fraktur (1913).
- E. Meyer: Tannenberg (1933-1935).
- Hans Eduard Meier: Syntax (1968).
- H. Möhring: Elan (1928), Elegant Grotesk (1928).
- C. Wilhelm Pischiner: Neuzeit Grotesk (1929).
- H. Pauser: Petra (1954).
- I. Reiner: Bazar (1956), Mustang (1956).
- P. Renner: Renner Antiqua (1939).
- H. Rhode: Humboldt Fraktur (1938).
- F. K. Sallwey: Present (1974).
- A. M. Schildbach: Montan (1954).
- F. Schweimanns: Diana (1909), Propaganda (1901), Graziella (1905), Korso (1913).
- W. Schwerdtner: Metropolis (1928), Mundus Antiqua (1929), Standard Latein (1929).
- J. Tschichold: Sabon (1967).
- M. Wilke: Diskus (1938), Gladiola (1936), Konzept (1968).
- Friedrich Hermann Wobst: Globus (1932).
- Rudolf Wolf: Memphis (1930).
- Hermann Zapf: Gilgengart, Kompakt (1954), Melior (1952), Michelangelo (1950, roman caps), Optima (1958), Palatino (1950), Saphir (Linotype, 1953), Sistina (1951), Virtuosa (1952, revived in 2009 as Virtuosa Classic at linotype with the help of Akira Kobayashi).
- G. Zapf-von Hesse: Diotima Antiqua (1952), Smaragd (1953).
- Staff: B¨xenstein Antiqua (1912: revival by Gerhard Helzel), GerhardHelzel-BuxensteinFraktur-after-DStempel-1912.png">Büxenstein-Faktur (1912: revival by Gerhard Helzel), AltSchwabacher, Europe, Eurostile, Forma, Garamond, Künstlerschreibschrift (1902), Univers, and the typewriter types Deberny, Haas and Olive.
Specimen book of 1920.
View the Stempel typeface library. [Google]
Dan M. Zadorozny
A design site where one sometimes finds discussions on type. The founding writers are Michael Bierut, William Drenttel (an ex-typographer practicing law), Jessica Helfand and Rick Poynor.
From Bierut's CV: Michael Bierut studied graphic design at the University of Cincinnati's College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning. Prior to joining Pentagram in 1990 as a partner in the firm's New York office, he worked for ten years at Vignelli Associates, ultimately as vice president of graphic design. His clients at Pentagram have included The Council of Fashion Designers of America, Harley-Davidson, The Minnesota Children's Museum, The Walt Disney Company, Mohawk Paper Mills, Motorola, Princeton University, the Brooklyn Academy of Music, and the New York Jets. Bierut's work is represented in the permanent collections of the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, and the Musee des Arts Decoratifs, Montreal. He has served as president of the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) from 1988 to 1990 and is president emeritus of AIGA National. Michael was elected to the Alliance Graphique Internationale in 1989, and was elected to the Art Directors Club Hall of Fame in 2003. Michael is a Senior Critic in Graphic Design at the Yale School of Art. He writes frequently about design and the co-editor of the four-volume series Looking Closer: Critical Writings on Graphic published by Allworth Press. In 1998 he co-edited and designed the monograph Tibor Kalman: Perverse Optimist. His commentaries about graphic design in everyday life can be heard nationally on the Public Radio International program "Studio 360."
Additional material and links on Bierut: The Atlantic Talks Typography: interview with M. Bierut , Pentagram link, Reasons to Choose a Particular Typeface For a Project.
In 2013, Bierut redesigned the New York City parking signs. [Google]
Rian Hughes studied at the LCP in London before working for an advertising agency, i-D magazine, and a series of record sleeve design companies. Under the name Device he now provides design and illustration for the advertising, entertainment, publishing, and media industries. He works from Richmond, UK, as a comic book artist, letterer and typefounder---his foundry is called Device. He creates mostly display type. List of fonts. Interview. Review by Yves Peters. Monotype Imaging page. Interview by Die Gestalten. Various (overlapping) font listings, still unorganized.
- Dingbats: Pic_Format, Mastertext Symbols, MacDings, RiansDingbats, Autofont.
- FontFont fonts: Identification (1993), Revolver, Rian's Dingbats, LustaOneSixtySans, Knobcheese, CrashBangWallop, and Outlander.
- [T-26] fonts: English Grotesque (1998), Data90 (2003; a free FontStruct typeface that is virtually identical to Data90 is Bitrate by Kummaeno (2010)), Flak Heavy (2003, stencil), Flak (2003, stencil), Freeman (2003), Klaxon (2003, kitchen tile font), Cordite, Substation (2003), September (2003), West Way (2003), Egret (2003), Paralucent Complete (2003), Paralucent Condensed, Paralucent Stencil (2003), Mercano Empire (2003), Iconics (2003), Cantaloupe (2003), Gravel (2003), Acton (blocky screen font, 2002), Ainsdale, Amorpheus, Anytime Now (alarm dingbats), Bingo, Blackcurrant (Blackcurrant Cameo (1997) is free), Bordello, Elektron, Haulage (U-Haul lettering, 2002), WexfordOakley, Telecast, Terrazzo, Transit, Untitled, Scrotnig, Skylab (2002), Silesia (1993), SlackCasual, Ritafurey, Reasonist-Medium, Regulator, GameOver, Novak, Quagmire, PicFormat, Jakita Wide (2000, techno font), Metropol-Noir, Motorcity, Mastertext, Mystique (2002), MacDings, Lusta, Laydeez, Sinclair, Paralucent (sans serif), Judgement, Bullroller, Zinger (a fifties font), Citrus (2002), Popgod (2003), Range (2000, a futuristic font), Hounslow, Jemima, Griffin, GranTurismo, Gargoyle, Foonky, DoomPlatoon, Darkside ("remixed" by FontStructor Kummaeno in his Ubangi (2011)), Cyberdelic, Contour, and the very original Stadia Outline family (Stadia is a kitchen tile font).
- List of all fonts by Rian Hughes, as of 2004: Acton, Ainsdale, Amorpheus, Anytime Now, Bingo, Blackcurrant, Bordello, Bull Roller, Chascarillo, Contour, Cottingley (1992), FF CrashBangWallop, Cyberdelic, Darkside, Data90, Doom Platoon (1996), Elektron, English Grotesque, Flak, Foonky, Freeman, Game Over, Gargoyle, Gran Turismo, Griffin, Haulage, Hounslow, Iconics, FF Identification, Jakita, Jemima, Judgement, FF Knobcheese, Laydeez Nite, Lusta (big family), Mac Dings, Mastertext, Men Swear, Metropol Noir, Motorcity, Mystique, Novak, FF Outlander, Paralucent, Pic Format, Platinum, Quagmire, Range, Reasonist, Register (A and B), Regulator, FF Revolver, FF Rian's Dingbats, Ritafurey, Scrotnig, September, Silesia, Sinclair, Skylab, Slack Casual, Space Cadet, Stadia, Substation, Telecast, Terrazzo, Transmat, Untitled One, Vertex, Westway, Wexford Oakley, Why Two Kay, Zinger.
- At Veer, in 2005, these Device fonts were published: Gentry, Gridlocker, Valise Montreal, Custard, Box Office (moviemaking letters), Sparrowhawk, Monitor, Moonstone, Miserichordia, Yolanda (a great playful medieval text typeface in three styles: Duchess, Princess, Countess), Gusto, Dauphine, Rogue, Ritafurey, Dynasty, Radiogram, Xenotype, Roadkill (grunge), Payload (stencil family comprising Regular, Outline, Spraycan, Narrow, Narrow Outline, Wide, Wide Outline), Catseye, Electrasonic, Absinthe (psychedelic style), Straker, and Chantal (brush).
- In 2006, Veer added these: Profumo, Ironbridge, Cheapside, Battery Park (grunge), Forge, Shenzhen Industrial, Hawksmoor (grunge), Coldharbour Gothic, Wormwood Gothic (grunge), Chase (grunge), Diecast, Roadkill Heavy, Tinderbox (fuzzy blackletter), Dazzle (multiline face), Nightclubber (art deco), Klickclack (2005, comic book or cartoon caper typeface), Vanilla (art deco), Wear it's at (grunge), Diecast, Drexler, Box Office (movie icon font).
- Fonts from 2007: DF Conselheiro (2007, grunge), DF Glitterati (2007), Indy Italic (script), DF Apocrypha (2006, rough outline), DF Quartertone (2007), DF Lagos (2007, rough stencil), DF Pulp Action, DF Reliquary #17 (2006, grunge didone), DF Dukane (2007, octagonal grunge), DF Strand (2007, striped stencil), DF Rocketship from Infinity (2006, futuristic), DF Appointment with Danger (2006), DF Las Perdidas (2006, grunge stencil), DF Kelly Twenty (2007, grunge stencil), DF Heretic, DF Roadkill, DF Ironbridge, DF Forge, DF Shenzhen Industrial, DF Hawksmoor, DF Cheapside, DF Battery Park, DF Saintbride, DF Profumo, DF Coldharbour Gothic, DF Wormwood Gothic, DF Tinderbox, DF Flickclack, DF Vanilla (multiline art deco face), DF Chase, DF Nighclubber (art deco jazz club face), DF Diecast, DF Dazzla, DF Zond Diktat (grunge), DF Yellow Perforated, DF Mulgrave (grunge), DF Ministry B, DF Ministry A (with a hairline weight), DF Gridlocker, DF Gentry, DF Valise Montréal (grunge), DF Custard, DF Box Office, DF Roadkill, DF Payload Wide, DF Payload Narrow, DF Catseye Narrow, DF Catseye, DF Yolanda, DF Xenotype, DF Telstar, DF Straker, DF Sparrowhawk, DF Rogue Serif, DF Rogue Sans Extended, DF Rogue Sans Condensed, DF Rogue Sans, DF Ritafurey B, DF Ritafurey A, DF Radiogram, DF Pitshanger, DF Payload (stencil), DF Outlander Nova, DF Moonstone, DF Monitor, DF Miserichordia, DF Interceptor, DF Gusto, DF Glitterati, DF Galicia (2004), DF Galaxie, DF Electrasonic, DF Dynasty B, DF Dynasty A, DF Drexler, DF Dauphine, DF Chantal, DF Absinthe, DF Register Wide B, DF Register Wide A, DF Register B, DF Register A, DF Quagmire B, DF Cordoba (2007, grunge), Mellotron (2004, stencil), Seabright Monument (2007), Charger (2007, grunge).
- T-26 releases in 2007: Klickclack, Hawksmoor (grunge), Heretic, Ironbridge (old letter simulation), Battery Park (grunge), Chase (grunge), Cheapside (grunge), Dazzle (multiline art deco), Diecast (grunge), and Forge (grunge).
- T-26 releases in 2008: Automoto (fat multiline deco face), Straker (organic). Also from 2008: Mission Sinister (grunge), Gonzalez (grunge).
- FontBros release in 2009: Filmotype Modern. Other Filmotype series fonts include Filmotype Miner (2012), Filmotype Manchester (2012), Filmotype Meredith (2012), Filmotype Marlette (2012), Filmotype Mansfield (2012), Filmotype Power (2012) and Filmotype Major (2012: this is based on a typeface used as the titling font for the popular children's book by Dr. Seuss entitled One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, 1960). Other 2009 fonts: Degradation (grunge).
- Creations in 2010: Pod (2010, fat round stencil), Korolev (2010, a 20-style monoline sans family based on communist propaganda from 1937), DF Agent of the Uncanny (2010, brush face), DF Destination Unknown (2010, Kafkaesque brush), DF Maraschino Black (a sleek, sophisticated high-contrast swash capital font).
- Creations in 2011: DF Capitol Skyline, DF Capitol Skyline Underline and DF Capitol Skyline Capitals (a multi-weight all-caps pair that epitomizes Streamline Moderne), DF Korolev (a 20-weight sans serif family based on lettering by an anonymous Soviet graphic designer who did the propaganda displays at the Communist Red Square parade in 1937. Named in honor of Sergey Pavlovich Korolyov, or Korolev, considered to be the father of practical astronomics).
- Typefaces from 2012: Ember (informal script), Kane (based on the Batman logo), Glimmer Glossy, Glimmer Mate, Galleria (avant-garde caps), Clique (flared sans).
- Typefaces from 2013: Filmotype Melon (after a 1959 original, this is an offbeat Googie era doo-wop typeface), Filmotype Melody (similar to Melon), Filmotype Mellow (also similar to Melon), Raw (worn wood type), Cadogan (a rhythmic connected script), Whiphand (brush face), Steed (heavy codensed masculine sans inspired by the titles of the Avengers TV show), State Stencil (Clean and Rough: in the style of Futura Black), Korolev Military Stencil (named after Sergei Korolev, father of Soviet astronautics, and based on signs from the Red Army parade of 1932), Armstrong (a 1950s automobile font).
- Other: Customised Foonky Starred, Altoona, DfAncestorITC, DfAttitudesPlain, HotRod (2002).
FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
[Doyald Young: Logotypes and Letterforms]
Doyald Young: Logotypes and Letterforms
Graphic designer, typographer, type designer, author, teacher and lecturer, born in 1926 in Holliday, TX. He died on February 28, 2011 due to complications following a recent heart operation. He attended Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles Trade Technical Jr. College, and Art Center College of Design where he has taught for 27 years and holds the honorary title Inaugural Master of the School. Doyald drew characters, often of a calligraphic or handlettered nature. He was deeply influenced by his mentor, Hermann Zapf.
Steve Heller writes: When digital programs like Fontographer made it easy for anyone with a computer to create typefaces, many of them purposefully inelegant, he advocated a high level of craftsmanship that he believed had been lost. In so doing, Mr. Young challenged a new generation to reject so-called grunge design in favor of precision. When the American Institute of Graphic Arts awarded Young its 2009 Medal for Lifetime Achievement, Marian Bantjes wrote Taste. Practicality. Formality. Understated prestige. The combination of those qualities forms as perfect a descriptor of Young's work as any you are likely to find, both in the process and the result. Although he is widely known for his elegant curves and scripts, he has never been a showy designer---there is not a trace of ego in his work. The range of letterforms able to flow at any time from his hand is great, and there is no way to particularly define Young's mark unless you have seen the hand-drawn comp. That is where his work is unmistakable: perfect letterforms drawn in pencil at a surprisingly small size without so much as a mark of hesitation or awkwardness. The style varies but the fluidity and perfection do not.
Links and media: Scott Erickson's movie on Doyald Young. FontShop link. Klingspor link. Short obituary and video. Longer video about his life. Steven Heller's obituary in the New York Times. Obituary by Marian Bantjes for AIGA.
He was adored and respected for his craft and gentleness. Portrait. Another portrait (credit: Louise Sandhaus). Author of several influential texts:
- Logotypes and Letterforms (1993, Delphi Press). Review. It includes the corporate typefaces and original and revised logotypes he created for General Electric, Sony, Hilton International, John Deere and other businesses. Steve Heller: It was well received by designers for its defiance of fashionable trends.
- Fonts&Logos (1999, Delphi Press, and 2000, Sherman Oaks). A book of examples, it includes many logos designed by him for the cosmetic, fashion and entertainment industries. Review. Bette Midler logo (2002). Grammy Awards logo (1988). Prince, The Hits Collecton, cover (2000). Sinatra, The Man and his Music TV Special (1981). Logo for Apex Engraving (1974).
- The Art of the Letter (2003, Smart Papers, Hamilton, Ontario).
- Dangerous Curves Mastering Logotype Design (2008, Delphi Press). Delphi Press was his own company.
His typefaces include the extra bold condensed sports scripts fonts Home Run Sanscript (1999) and Home Run Script (1999, a connected bold retro signage script), Young Gallant (2010, a formal calligraphic script based on the alphabets his teacher, Leach, trained him on), ITC Eclat (1985, 1992, fat script face, which was used for titles by Comedy Central and the Queen Latifah movie Beauty Shop), Young Finesse (2003, an Optima-inspired thin headline typeface used in his book, Fonts&Logos), Young Finesse Italic (2006), Guts (1976, VGC), and Young Baroque (1984, 1992, Letraset; calligraphic Spencerian copperplate script; this is copied by Castcraft as OPTI Yen Script). [Google]
Corporate identity and print design company, est. 2003 in New York City by Kevin Dresser and Kate Johnson. The foundry is located in New Paltz, NY. Kevin Dresser (b. 1971, Rochester, NY), its head, was a type designer at Hoefler Type Foundry from 1997 until 2000, when he started Dresser & Sons. His work there included art deco typefaces and iconography for the signage program at Radio City Music Hall, a redesign of the classic Cheltenham typeface for The New York Times Magazine, a custom typeface in Hebrew for the Rodeph Sholom Synagogue, a grunge typeface for Florent Restaurant, custom faces for Architectural Design Magazine, iconography for The Museum of Modern Art, lettering for TypeCon 2005, and a few retail faces. In 2003, he published the 15-weight sans family General at Thirstype, which is now also available for licensing from Dresser Johnson. Kate Johnson is a graphic designer who graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design.
Typefaces from 2012: Terminus (dot matrix face). [Google]
Born in Barcelona in 1964. Graphic design teacher at Elisava in Barcelona since 1988. Director of the Master on Advanced Typography at the Eina school of art and design, in collaboration with the Autonomous University of Barcelona. He also teaches a Master's course on art direction and advertising at Ramon Llull University. Author of Twenty-two tips on typography (that some designers will never reveal) and twenty-two things you should never do with typefaces (that some typographers will never tell you) (Actar).
At type-o-tones in Barcelona, Enric Jardi created Neeskens (1991-2007), Retorica Buida (1995, blackboard bold), Retorica-Plena (1995), Deseada (1995, a blurred roman), Escher, Magothic, Mayayo (1991, great children's book display font in Inline, Holes and Black styles), Peter Sellers (2007), Poca (1995, pixelish), Radiorama (1995), Verdaguera (1995, a classical weathered typeface)), Wilma (1995-2007: a chromatic type system), Xiquets Forever (1995, dingbats).
Interview by MyFonts.
Klingspor link. Type-o-tones link. FontShop link. Type-o-tones link. [Google]
Erté (Romain de Tirtoff) was a well-known art deco era artist. Born in St. Petersburg, Russia in 1892, he died in 1990 in Paris. In 1912, Erté moved to Paris. In 1915, he began an association with Harper's Bazaar by designing covers of each of their magazines for the next 22 years. He became known for elegant lithographs and sculptures for the fashion industry. On these pages, you find an elegant set of capitals and numerals in which the glyphs are formed by elegantly drawn naked women.
American vector artist. Designer of Charged Insomnia (2008, LED font), Mezzanine (2007, ultra-fat), S.O.T.D. (2006, 1890-style caps face), Dog Star (2006, modeled after the Sirius radio font), Blowback (2007, display face), Alpha (2006, outline pixel face) and Pf Animals (2006, a stencil typeface modeled after Pink Floyd's "ANIMALS" album). [Google]
[Fontdesign by Fidel Peugeot]
Japanese foundry in Nagoya that offers these free and commercial Latin fonts made by Ryoichi Tsunekawa, who also runs Bagel & Co, Dharma Type, HolidayType and Prop-A-Ganda. Most of his work was done at Flat-It. His typefaces:
- 2014: Pero (condensed rounded organic sans), Kiro (minimalist organic sans), Graphie (modern geometric sans), Compasse (semi-condensed sans), Como (rounded sans).
- 2013: Spoon (organic, rounded, monoline sans family), Antoinette Monogrammes (based on early 1900s embroideries by Janon Co; with frames), Clonoid (a sci-fi family that pays tribute to arcade game logos in 80s and 90s), All Round Gothic Demi (a sans based on perfect circles),Griffon (copperplate titling face), Antique Spenserian (based on Spencerian Script by Mackellar, Smiths and Jordan).
- 2012: Geom Graphic (a retro sci-fi family that can be considered as a squarish version of Eurostile), Sheepman (modular), House of Cards, Space Colony (a lovely monoline futuristic techno family), Rama Slab (an antiqued wood-style slab serif), Rama Gothic. An antiqued sans serif family that recalls the wood type era), Diamond Ring (an art deco typeface inspired by Japanese cosmetics-packaging designs and posters from the late 19th and early 20th centuries), Controller (techno meets organic in this rounded squaris sans family), Revolution Gothic (an extended version of PAG Revolucion), 2008, which was inspired by retro propaganda posters and wallpainting in Cuba from the 60s to 80s; Revolution Gothic P followed in 2014), Diamond Ring (art deco).
- 2011: Yummo (monoline organic sans), Sheepman (based on the wood type No. 506 of William Page), Onick (2011, an art deco neojaponist fat display face done for Wordshape), Shiva (2011, hairline sans), Mocha Mattari (2011, grunge), Dharma Slab (2011, inspired by 1800s-style wood type), Dharma Gothic (2011, +P), Rama Gothic (2011, also inspired by 1800s-style wood type), Dimensions (2011, squarish), Design System (2011, a large family based on 70s style techno faces), Speedometer (2011, condensed piano key face).
- 2010: Stereo Gothic (2010: an extended all caps slightly techno sans family), Behrensmeyer Vigesimals (2010, a pixel format connected script), Civilite Vigesimals (2010, pixelized Civilite), Flat10 Arts and Crafts (2010), Flat20 Hippies, Flat10 Segments (2010), Flat10 Antique (2010), Flat20 Gothic (2010), Flat20 Streamer (2009, pixelized ribbon font), Flat10 Fraktur, Flat10 holy, Flat10 Holly, Flat10 Stencil, Flat20 Headline, Flat10 Artdeco, Word From Radio (2008-2010). Cigarette (2007, Bauhaus/Peignot-style type family).
- 2009: African Elephant Trunk (2009), Concrete Script, Concrete Stencil (2009, a stencil calligraphic script), Perfect Magic (2009), HT Maison (2009, signage face), HT Farmacia (2009, connected school script), HT Espresso (2008, upright script), HT Cartoleria (2008, connected script), HT Cafe (2009), Sneaker Script (2009).
- 2007-2008: Bistro Mono (2007, an awkward monoline face), Thousands (2007), Balaghat (2008), Garash Script (2008, a Halloween face), Woodstamp (2008), Banana (2008, brush script), Rebel Train Goes (2008, a piano key font), Rouge (2007, an elegant lipstick-on-the-bathroom-mirror pair of faces), Yasashii (2007, a great geometric art deco Broadway-style family), Lily Wang (2006, calligraphic script), Nothing (2007), Garash (2007, Arabic simulation), Moon Star Soul (2007, Western saloon font), Grandes Vacances (+ Une, Deux) (2007), Pansy Bo (2006, calligraphic), Dremie (2007, an art deco headline typeface with Open and Fill weights), Grandes Vacances (2007, based on 19th century billboard letters), Xesy (2007, a fantastic "ronde" high-contrast upright connected script), Deluta Black (2007, a soft blackletter), Cotoris (2007, a 4-style family that takes inspiration from Koch Antiqua and the art nouveau movement).
- 2006: Daisy Lau (2006, calligraphic), Agedage Luxeuil (2006, based on a monasteric script from the 8th century), Agedage Cancellaresca, Agedage Beneventan, Agedage Simple Versal (2006, Lombardic caps simplified), Amsterdam Modern (2006, art nouveau influences), Flat10 [Holly, Holy, Stencil, Fraktur] (2006, a set of pixel faces), Machiarge (2006, a heavy connected brushed signage script), Chic Hand (2006, connected script), Double Dagger (2006, geometric stencil family), Fault (2006, an art deco striped lettering face), Killernuts (2006, headline serif typeface with brush stroke endings), Underconstructionism! (2006, a rectangular look family with associated dingbats), Machia (2006, decorative script), Kiwi (geometric hairline), Bagel (roundish comic book face), Jaguarundi (2006, distressed), Boycott (2006, distressed), Tokyotrail (2006, futuristic techno family), Coconut (noisy outline face), Coconut Split, Fresh Tomato (LED simulation), El Piedra (2006, letterpress emulation), Dried Tomato (LED simulation), Dutch Style, Mocha Harrar (great stencil face), 103 (experimental, Bank Gothic style), Airhead, ArealBlack, Awkward, BagelNew, BagelOld, Banbino, Bebas (2005, industrial sans), Berlin89, Blackout (redesigned in 2011 as the ulta-narrow Dimensions), Boycott (grunge), Built-1970, Bunyan, Busted, Camera (2007), Canstop, Chiangmai (Thai simulation face), DBLline, Dijkstra, Dutchstyle, Fling, Graphite, Harcomaso, Hiexplosive, Hitech, Honeycomb, Junkmix, Kanatypo, KemikalHi, Machia (2006, a calligraphic family), Meegoreng, Mikrob, Natsupopy, Overwork, Palsu, Plamo, Plasitico, REC001, REC002, REC003, Resistance, SQRT, STdigi (LED font), Shandy, Superstar, Tembaga, Tenaga, Tomodachi, Tragedia, Trucker, VRdigital, VRembroidery, Welcome2M, Workaholic, Zeebraa, plot-A, plot-K, Appendix 3, Gesso (grunge), Pusab (2006, ultra round; one free weight), Sushitaro, Typewrong, Celtics Modern (2006, a Celtic family of fonts). At T-26, he published CRZ (2006), Guppy, Ohana (2006, octagonal), Picnica (2006), and Wearetrippin.
MyFonts link. Fontsquirrel link for their free fonts such as Bebas (2005, industrial sans), Boycott, Gesso, and Pusab.
YWFT link. Bagel & Co. link. Klingspor link. Dafont link. Dafont link.
View Ryoichi Tsunekawa's typefaces. Kernest link. [Google]
A collection of fonts by Japanese artists (not free): FRONTLINE01 (Bonus Title Font), Add (AddBlackImpact), COOZ (BMspiral), C-FONT (Cube01), CLOPS (Dachshund), COSMIC-COSMOS/Kenichiro (Neroppu), COUT WORKS (DSCF), Designers High (elephant), DigitalDreamDesign (D3 Groovism), Digital Works Updside K (Aoi-Kaku), FLOP DESIGN (FRONTLINE), Graphic Arts Unit (editmode16), GRAYVISION (Solidstate), KEIY (Pipot), Kivart (Punition), kuzumiHK (DustGhost), Miffies (M42_FLIGHT 721), Maniackers Design (ARAWASU), Naba (STONE), norm09 (Virus), nowconceptsite/makoto (sandpaper), PSYCHOGRAPHERS!/KOU (BIRDISH), SHAKAGRAPHICS/COLA (GRIDSYSTEM), Smile Girls with FD (Cutie Girl), softroclub (Janis Heavy), Third Entertainment featuring MKSD (Honey), Tosouka Utaru (Gatload), holiday (Ribbontic), Love Radio (TMRfont), YUKI (flow&passage), ZETUEI FONTS (emiwareru -oblique (Hiragana)), RIM FILMs (Suehirogari+90), kurihara taketugu (Frost-Medium), Denenchofu Design (poppers), Petuko (OLDA), OHMINATO Kazuaki Design (Twist(Katakana)), Wing.zero (TYPE-CHAIR), plus about four other fonts. [Google]
Fontdesign by Fidel Peugeot
Fidel Peugeot, a Swiss type designer, ran RGB107,6-International (or Radioglaibasel) in Vienna. He also offers some fonts made by his friends at DIE GUTE FUER ALLE. A partial list of Fidel Peugeot's creations: Neue Eurostyle, Peek+Cloppenburg (1999), Sack-Mehl and Sack-Kaffee, Line (very thin-lined geometric font), T-Fon and Telepong (screen fonts), On-Off (dot matrix font), Telepong-Copy, Lying (fun curly font), Mokka (like a child's handwriting), Herr Klee (brush font), and the multitude of screen/pixel fonts at Lomofonts [dead link]. The 37-style pixel set Lomo (2003) is now sold by Linotype and Fontshop.
FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Fundicion Tipografica Richard Gans
The Richard Gans Foundry is a defunct Spanish foundry which existed from 1888-1975. Richard Gans was the son of a medic from Karlsbad, Austria. He emigrated to Spain in 1874, and died in 1925. Until 1936 the foundry was led by Mauricio Wiesenthal, but in 1936, his children, Ricardo, Manuel and Amalia Gans Gimeno, now adults, took over. Ricardo and Manuel were assassinated during the Civil War. The foundry was used to make ammunition, and after the war, Amalia Gans and then Reinaldo Leger Tittel started anew in run-down buildings. The foundry operated roughly from 1881-1975. Throughout its existence, types were designed by a number of people from within and outside the foundry. Designers included José Ausejo Matute (d. 1998), Antonio Bilbao (who created Escorial in 1960), the son Ricardo Gans, and Carl Winkow. In the post-war era, Reinaldo Leger and Amalia Garcia Gans made typographic decisions on which types to produce, and acted as typographic directors. Richard Gans' grandson, José Antonio Gans García, is still alive today.
Six specimen books were published with titles like Fundicion Richard Gans Muestrario Edicion V. The first and second editions, rare books indeed, were published between 1883 and 1903. Editions 3 through 6 appeared in the period 1903-1922. The 1922 edition is here in its entirety (thanks to J.R. Penela). See also here. In 1965, a small catalog was published under the name Tipos Gans. The National Library in Madrid has Muestrario de Richard Gans (Madrid, Richard Gans, 1903, 410 pages) and Catalogo provisional (Madrid, 1950).
On the web, the most complete discussion of Richard Gans is in the PDF file Fundicion Tipografica Richard Gans Historia y Actividad 1888-1975 (2004) by Dimas García Moreno and José Ramón Penela.
Catalog of font names.
Fonts: Until 1925, there were basically no original types. Almost everything in the specimen books of that era is due to German foundries, principally those of Wilhelm Woellmer in Berlin and Edmund Koch in Magdeburg. Some of those typefaces in common with Koch include Grotesca Chupada Redonda, Ronda Universal. Early types in this category also include Escritura Selecta, Escritura Favorita, Escritura Luis XV, Gótico Globo (blackletter), Gótico Uncial (blackletter), Nueva Titular Adornada, Tipos de Adorno, Latina Moderna, Grotesca Ancha, Grotesca and Grotesca Chupada. Many, if not most of these, saw the light at the end of the 19th century and survived until 1965.
It is fashionable now to revive all the faces. Nick Curtis created a few (see below), and Paul W (Intellecta Design, Brazil) did many more. Intellecta Designs revivals include Gans Tipo Adorno, Gans Lath Modern, Gans Titular Adornada, Gans Ibarra, Gans Antigua, Gans Antigua Manuscrito, Gans Fulgor, Gans Radio Lumina, Gans Carmem Adornada, Gans Animals, Gans Italiana, and Gans Titania.
The original Gans types can be categorized as follows:
- Anchas Americanas.
- Antigua El Greco (+Adornada, Cursiva, Negro, Negro Cursiva, Seminegro, Seminegro Cursiva, Titular), aka El Greco Antique. Weights include Antigua El Greco (1924), El Greco Adornado Titular (with Mexican-style sawteeth). Greco was the inspiration for Melina BT (Nick Curtis, 2003). Curtis' Melina Fancy is based on Greco Adornado. For a free version of Adornado, see GrekoDeco (1992, Dave Fabik). Revived as Kifisia Antigua NF in 2005 by Nick Curtis.
- Antigua. See the digital family Gans Antigua (2006, Paulo W). The Antigua series includes weights like Esbelta, Estrecha, Heraldo, Heraldo Cursiva, I, I Cursiva, I Titular, Mercantil, Negra, Prolongada, Universal, Universal Cursiva, Universal Negra, Universal Negra Cursiva, Universal Negra Estrecha, Universal Seminegra, Veneciana, Veneciana Cursiva, Veneciana Cursiva Fantasia.
- Antigua Manuscrito: a semiscript typeface designed by Hermann Delitsch at the Royal Academy of Graphic Arts in Leipzig. Delitsch was Tschichold's teacher. Digitized as a family by Paulo W as Gans Antigua Manuscrito (2006).
- Antigua Progreso (1923) (+Cursiva, Negra): an interesting serif face. A digital version called Bellini was made by A. Pat Hickson, 1992. Linotype sells Greco (DsgnHaus, 1996) which really is Progreso.
- Bodoni and Bodoni Redonda.
- Carmen, Carmen Adornada, Velázquez, Españolas Adornadas, Antigua Adornada, Utopian, Tipos de Adorno, Americanas (Tuscan style), Americanas-Titular, Elzevirianas Adornadas: Late 19-th century style display faces. Paulo W (Intellecta Design) created the beautiful digital family Gans Tipo Adorno (2006). He also made the family Gans Titular Adornada (2006).
- Cursiva Comercial.
- Dalia (or Ibarra Vaciada): a two-line display face. Similar to Delphian Open Titling (Middleton, Ludlow, 1928).
- Egipcia in weights called Estrecha, Negra and Nueva. Egipcia Progreso (1923, short ascenders): slab serif styles.
- Elzeviriano: Anchas, Adornado, B, B Cursiva, Chupado, Ibarra, Ibarra Cursiva, Ibarra Titular, Negro.
- Escorial: a display typeface with Koch Antiqua influences, designed ca. 1960 by Antonio Bilbao. Additional weights include Cursiva, Seminegra and Titular.
- Escritura Juventud (1950, Joan Trochut Blanchard): a great script with lots of identity and swing. Other Escritura styles: Decorativa, Gloria reformada, Isabel, Luis XV, Selecta.
- Etienne Ancha.
- Filetes de Bronce, Filetes de Metal.
- Fulgor (1930): a connected script face.
- Gloria (already listed above under Escritura), Gloria Reformada (1930): a connected script family. Gloria was revived by Nick Curtis in 2005 as Pismo Clambake NF.
- Gótico Cervantes (1928): blackletter with regular and ornamental caps.
- Gótico Globo: art nouveau style with blackletter influences. Revived by Intellecta Design in 2007.
- Gótico Uncial (blackletter).
- Graciosa (+Gris).
- Grotesca Ancha (+Fina, Negra, Nueva, Vaciada).
- Grotesca Antigua.
- Grotesca Chupada and Grotesca Chupada Redonda: a rounded sans.
- Grotesca Colón.
- Grotesca Compacta.
- Grotesca Cursiva (+Seminegra).
- Grotesca Estrecha Hercules.
- Grotesca Mercantil, Grotesca Mercurio, Grotesca Negra Cursiva.
- Grotesca Ideal (Negra, Fina, Entrelina), Grotesca Favorita, Grotesca Reformada.
- Grotesca Radio: a geometric no-contrast sans. Styles: Editorial, Estrecha Fina, Estrecha Negra, Fina, Fina Cursiva, Negra, Negra Cursiva, Seminegra, Seminegra Cursiva.
- Helenica (+Ancha, Ancha Negra, Ancha Seminegra, Cursiva, Seminegra).
- Ibarra (1931) and Ibarra Cursiva: a tall ascender garalde family. Ibarra Negra, Ibarra Negra estrecha, Ibarra Vaciada, Ibarra Redonda. See also under Elzeviriano above. Iniciales Ibarra.
- Imán: a shadow headline all-caps face.
- Inglesa Excelsior.
- Italiana (Cursiva, Titular), 1951, a black caps face. Italienne (Chupada, Moderna).
- Luxor (+Cursiva, Negro, Negro Estrecho).
- Manos (manicules, fists).
- Maquina de Escrebir.
- Normanda (Ancha Negra, estrecha Negra).
- Nueva Antigua No. 1 and No. 2. Nuevas Titulares Adornadas.
- Orlas de Linea.
- Preciosa: Showboat-style Western look.
- Primavera: a condensed sans. Paulo W digitized a condensed family called Gans Lath Modern (2006).
- Radio Bicolor: a headline sans family.
- Radio Gris. Scans of the Radio catalog of 1930.
- Radio Lumina: a display sans. Digitized as Gans Radio Lumina (2006) by Paulo W at Intellecta Design.
- Regina (+Estrecha), Helios, Vulcano (1920s): art nouveau style. Ludlow's Vulcan Bold is based on Vulcano.
- Renacimiento Ancha.
- Romana I (+Cursiva, Egipcia, Estrecha, Negra).
- Senefelder: engraved look all caps.
- Talla Dulce (+Cursiva).
- Tipo Sombreado, Tipos Adornados, Tipos de Texto.
- Titania (1933): an elegant two-line poster face. See the revival (2006, Nick Curtis).
- Veneziana Negra.
showcase-gans/">View the digital revivals of typefaces by Gans. [Google]
From the Wikipedia entry:
Futura is a geometric sans serif typeface designed in 1927 by Paul Renner. Although Renner was not associated with the Bauhaus, he shared many of its idioms and believed that a modern typeface should express modern models, rather than be a revival of a previous design. Renner's initial design included several geometrically constructed alternative characters and ranging (old style) figures which can be found in the typeface Architype Renner. Futura was commissioned by the Bauer type foundry. The success of Futura coincided with the creation of many competing geometric sans serif faces including Kabel, Metro, Vogue, Erbar and Spartan, Twentieth Century, and Century Gothic among others.
Futura has an appearance of efficiency and forwardness. The typeface is derived from simple geometric forms (near-perfect circles, triangles and squares) and is based on strokes of near-even weight, which are low in contrast. (This is most visible in the almost perfectly round stroke of the o, but the shape is actually slightly ovoid.) In designing Futura, Renner avoided the decorative, eliminating non-essential elements. The lowercase has tall ascenders, which rise above the cap line. The uppercase characters present proportions similar to those of classical roman capitals.
Uses of Futura by businesses: Graphic identity of Volkswagen and Union Pacific, Swissair (1950s to the 1990s), Boeing's flightdeck labeling, films by Wes Anderson and Stanley Kubrick, the commemorative plaque left on Earth's moon by Apollo 11 astronauts in July 1969, Ikea Sans and Opel Sans (Futura-based house fonts designed by Robin Nicholas), Doctor Who (BBC series), RAI Radiotelevisione Italiana, and Ferrovie dello Stato. [Google]
Japanese free font maker. Besides some kana fonts, the following Latin fonts were available in 2007-2009: GKZ-0701 (pixel), GKZ-BurnBurn (pixel), GKZ-CLB (pixel), GKZ-Frox (party face), GKZ-GAZI, GKZ-KAKU, GKZ-Oriduru (oriental simulation), GKZ-Speedwrite, GKZ-crossjam, GtsAbstract, GtsArcadia, GtsImprovisation, Gtsfrontline, Gtsgazigazi, Gtslandscape, Gtsprogressive, Gtsshiranami, Gtstransition. Most of these are pixel fonts or experimental. Hiragana faces: GKZ-Okome, GKZ-Shiranami, Katakana faces: GKZ-ORIDURUKANA, GKZ-RAIGEKI, GKZ-Radiohour (pixel), GKZ-Sryder. Obsolete URL. [Google]
George Toumbalis studied Image processing and DTP at DOME Design School in Athens. He is considered an expert on graphic design issues and he is a regular columnist in +Design, the Greek magazine on aesthetics and design issues. He started his first business in 1996 and some of his major clients include Sony Music, BMG, Warner Music, Capital Radio 96.5, Planet Works, Filmnet, Flash.gr. Some of his font designs, released by Parachute, include PF Mechanica B (2002-2006: a tiled typeface for Latin, Greek and Cyrillic) and PF Overload. [Google]
Glen Jan is the foundry of type designer Elena Kowalski (b. 1986) in Ufa, Russia. Elena created the Latin / Cyrillic typeface Sreda Slab Serif (2011), Road Radio Sans Serif (2011) and Affect Sans Serif (2011, a fashion sans family for Latin and Cyrillic).
Typefaces from 2012: Road Radio (sans family), Sceptica (a 12-style sans text family), Room (a display geometric all caps sans serif typeface family), Idealist Sans (a humanist sans for Latin and Cyrillic: free download), Echoes Slab, Echoes Sans.
Typefaces from 2013: Leto Sans, Leto One (a display slab), Leto One Condensed, Leto Two, Affect.
Typefaces from 2014: Certa Sans (a very legible Latin/Cyrillic sans family with some flaring in the strokes; Medium is free), Leto Slab.
Behance link. [Google]
Free and commercial (predominantly techno) fonts. Among the free fonts: KZ-Cubist, KZ-Gravity, KZ-Turbo. The commercial fonts are sold on a CD: KZ Tank, KZ Spellbound, KZ Scratcher, KZ Radiostar, KZ Racer, KZ Lord, KZ Cybone1 and 2. [Google]
Designer of Radio at T-26 in 2001. In 2005, he created ITC Stepp, a text and display family based on the 1930 logo for the Stetson Shoe Company of Weymouth, MA. See also here. In 2007, he designed Flexion Pro (Red Rooster), about which MyFonts writes: Flexion developed out of design philosophy and ambigramatic artwork of John Langdon. Based on the contents in Johns book Wordplay, author Dan Brown hired John to create ambigrams for his forthcoming novel Angels&Demons. Mr. Brown was so impressed with his work he even named the main character Robert Langdon after John. After the success of Angels&Demons, Dan Brown wrote The Da Vinci Code. When the movie adaptation of that book was in the works, Dan suggested that John create titles for the movie based on ambigrams. John contacted Hal Taylor to create a font based on the lettering treatment to be used for the credits at the end of the movie. Unfortunately, it was decided that the film was running long and the original title concept was scrapped. By this time, Hal was well into developing a full type family, including small caps, alternate characters, lining and ranging figures. John was impressed with the way the design was turning out and decided that it had enough merit to be released as Flexion. Jeeves (2009, Red Rooster) is an elegant script face. Wells Grotesque (2010, Red Rooster) was inspired by the H.G.Wells science fiction novel War of the Worlds, first published in 1898.
FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Harold Lohner was born in upstate New York in 1958. He received an MFA in printmaking from the University at Albany and is Professor of Visual Arts at Sage College of Albany. He began making fonts in 1997 and starting distributing them the next year through Harold's Fonts. He lives in Albany, NY, with his partner, Al Martino. Originally, most of his typefaces were freeware or shareware, but gradually, he started selling most on his site or via FontBros. His typefaces:
- Famous fonts: Boom Chicka (2013: a set of three cartoon fonts inspired by the poster for the Marilyn Monroe film, The Prince and the Showgirl (1957), designed by Bill Gold), Auteur (2007, after the handwriting in the opening titles of Jean Cocteau's The Beauty and the Beast, 1946), 12 to the Moon (2000, runes based on the Columbia Pictures movie "12 to the Moon"), Aardvark Café (2000, extrapolated from the famous Hard Rock Café logo), BENSFOLK (2000, adapted from the work of Ben Shahn, in turn adapted from "folk or amateur" alphabets. Font originally developed for The Arts Center of the Capital Region.), BENSFOLK CONDENSED (2000), Bensgothic (1998), BensgothicLigatures (1998), CALAVERAS (2002, a take on Daisyland), Comet Negative (2000, based on the logo of Country Music Television (CMT)), Comet Positive (2000), HonestJohns (2000, based on the lettering in the classic Howard Johnson's restaurants logo), METRODF (2000, based on the Mexico City subway's lettering), Radio (2002, derived from the old NPR (National Public Radio) logo).
- Handlettering: Empress Monograms (2014), Frank the Architect (2004, +Bold, 2009: after the lettering of architect Frank Ching), National Archive (2009, calligraphic), Rough Draft (2009, sketched font), Greg's Hand (2009), Rudland Hand (2007, inspired by the work of the British artist and designer Peter Rudland), Gamera (2006), Directors Script (2006, based on a film credits script from the 1940s), National Archive (2005, based on the lettering of Timothy Matlack, who wrote the Declaration of Independence), Frank the Architect (2004, based on Frank Ching's lettering, which also gave rise to the Tekton family), Imitation (2003, inspired by the handlettered titles of the film Imitation of Life (1959), directed by Douglas Sirk and artdirected by Richard H. Riedel), Imitation Two (2004), antiestablishment (2000), Christmas Card (2000, based on the handlettered opening titles of the film "It's a Wonderful Life", Art Director: Jack Okey. This font was retired and replaced in 2006 by Testimonial), Espangle (2002, as the lettering for El Corte Ingles), Dad's Recipe (2000, based on his dad's handwriting), Greg's Hand (2001, Greg Smith's writing), Greg's Other Hand (2002), Kaela (1998, reshaped and extended in 2006), Marker Man (1999), Synch (2000, with Phil Campbell, inspired by the work of the artist Stuart Davis), Synchronous (2000, based on Syncopated Script, again made with Phil Campbell), Syncopated Script (1999).
- Blackletter: Waldorf Text (2011, after a 1914 original), Waldorf Heavy Illuminated (2011), Manucrypt (2011), Rude Goth (2007, grunge blackletter), Alsace-Lorraine, Benighted, Chinese Gothic, Christmas Card II, Kombine Regular, Kombine Kursiv (2000), Olde Chicago.
- Woodtype: Blacktops (caps, 1999), Blacktop Small Caps (1999), Blacktop Regular (2014), Cinderella (1998). The Western font Cattle Annie (2006) is an unauthorized digital interpretation of the analog font "Les Catalanes." According to ABZ: More alphabets and other signs by Rothenstein and Gooding, it was designed in 1952 by Enric Crous-Vidal (1908-1987) but was never produced.
- Stencil fonts: JJ Stencil, JJStencilLight (2000, inspired by the work of Jasper Johns), JJStencil Wet, JJStencilMedium, Sideshow (2000, based on the stencilled lettering on a vintage Ouija board), JJStencilSolid (2003), StencilFour (2001, inspired by the logo of Channel 4 (UK); reworked in 2006 into Oaktag), StencilFourReversed (2001).
- Western: Oklahoma (2006, based on the title of the film by that name), Captain Howdy (1999, 2000, Western font based on the lettering on a Ouija board).
- Fraktur fonts: Benighted (2002), AlsaceLorraine (2000), Chinese Gothic (2000), Kombine Regular (2000), Kombine Kursiv (2000).
- Revived Letraset fonts: BLOCK UP family (2000, based on the font family by the same name by Sally Ann Grover (1974) for Letraset), Good Vibes (2001, based on the analog font "Good Vibrations" by Trevor Hatchett for Letraset, 1973), GoodVibesBackbeat (2001), ObliqueTextBold (2000, based on a Letraset font called Obliq, 1984), ObliqueTextLight (2000), ObliqueTextMedium (2000), Wireframe (2000, based on the Letraset font Bombere designed by Carla Bombere (or Carla Ward)).
- Art deco fonts: Cartel (2005, simply gorgeous), based on the lettering of the 1936 movie by that name), Crazy Harold (2009), Road Jester (2009), Onion (2003), Roberta (2003, based on a font of Bob Trogman, 1962), Roberta Raised Shadow (2003), Boomerang family (1998-2000), LeFilmClassic family (2000, based on the classic Art Deco font of the same name, originally designed by Marcel Jacno and released by Deberny&Peignot, 1927), LeFilmLetters (2000), LeFilmShadow (2000), PopUps (1998, a 3-d art deco font for signboards), Tapeworm (1998, based on the work of artist Ed Ruscha), Farouk (2001, a five-line art deco font, based on an analog font of the same name, as illustrated in Paul E. Kennedy's "Modern Display Alphabets"; in fact, the original source should be Fatima, a font designed by Karl Hermann Schaefer in 1933 at Schriftguss, and a copy of it at FT Française was called Atlas (1933). Lohner renamed Fatima to Atlas at some point, and added Atlas Solid, still in 2001).
- MICR fonts: CMC7 (1998).
- Dingbats: Everyday People (2013, silhouettes), Bingo Dingo (2011, inspired by the classic Mexican game, Loteria), Essene Dingbats (2005), Chapeau (2005, inspired by the 1902 Sears Catalog), Corset (2005, inspired by the 1902 Sears Catalog), Harold's Pips (2004), Alpha Bravo (2003), Rebus, AmericanCheese (1999), Candide Dingbats (1999, a reclinming women dingbat typeface based on decorations designed by Rockwell Kent for "Candide," circa 1928), Maritime Flags (2000), New Year Dingbats (1999: Japanese patterns).
- Monospace fonts: Chica Mono (2000, based on Apple's Chicago; not really monospaced, by the way), Queer Theory Black, Bold, Regular and Light (1999).
- Arabic simulation faces: Alhambra (2006), Alhambra Deep (2006).
- Oriental simulation fonts: Bruce Mikita (+Solid) (after a metal font by the same name; Dan Solo calls it Lantern), Pad Thai (2006), Mystic Prophet (2002, inspired by Ouija boards), Chines Gothic, Font Shui (inspired by a style of hand-lettering illustrated in Alphabets: Ancient&Modern, compiled by J. B. Russell (Padell, 1946), Rubaiyat Shadow and Inline, Seoul (Korean font simulation), Shazi, Twelve to the moon, Chow Fun (2001, an oriental simulation typeface based on a sample of hand lettering identified as "Crooks' Stencil Designed Alphabet" in Alphabets: Ancient&Modern, compiled by J. B. Russell and published in 1945 by Padell Book Co), Quasi (1998).
- Cartoon fonts: Laughtrack (2009, based on the work of the cartoonist Jerry Robinson), CokerOne (2000, based on the work of cartoonist Paul Coker Jr), Coker Two (2000) (note: therse fonts were erroneously named. They were renamed to Denney because of this: "The lettering in the fonts you have was developed by Alan Denney at Hallmark in the late 1950s. He also worked for American Greetings Hi Brows from 1960 - 1966 and then returned to Hallmark.... And he later went to a different lettering style when Shoe Box cards became Hallmark's funny card line replacing Contemporary Cards. Alan retired from Hallmark in 1993 and died two years later."), ZITZ (2000, based on the hand lettering in the King Features daily strip "Zits" by Jim Borgman and Jerry Scott), Ohmigosh (2007: 12 styles of comic book lettering).
- Dot matrix fonts: Fortuna Dot (2001).
- Pixel fonts: Larcher (based on a modular font designed by Jean Larcher).
- Medieval script fonts: Sonnet Italic&Swash (2009), Galathea (2000, based on a classic analog font of the same name, "Originalerzeugnis von J. S. Schelter&Giesecke, Leipzig").
- Fonts made in 2013: OK Monograms (retro-futuristic), Splunge (based on Franklin Gothic).
- Fonts made in 2012: Humerus (Halloween font inspired by the opening credit sequence of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, 1948), Retrospace (inspired by the hand-lettered opening credits of the film Some Came Running (1958)), Toynbee Idea (free font based on Toynbee tiles), Hymn (scanbat).
- Fonts made in 2011: Institute Stamps (grunge), Magic Carpet, Shoemaker (shoe stitch face).
- Fonts made in 2010: Salmagundi (grunge), Dynamotor (like Dynamo, which was designed by K. Sommer and first released in 1930), Poignant (inspired by the hand-lettered film titles of certain mid-1900s films from Twentieth-Century Fox, including "All About Eve", "Gentleman's Agreement" and "No Way Out."), Pharmacy MMX (unicase), Karta (3d face), Flores MMX.
- Fonts made in 2009: Wexley (revival of a VGC font called Wexford), Sonnet (based on the printed text of Shakespeare, 1609), Fashion Brush, Fashion Script, Imitation One, Two, and Three, Generation B (all at Font Bros), Gainsborough (2009, an art deco typeface inspired by the hand-lettered titles of an Alfred Hitchcock film, The Lady Vanishes (1938)), Comfy (FontBros: inspired by an example of "Pinselschrift" (brush lettering) by Wilhelm Dechert), Sirena (FontBros: inspired by the hand-lettered opening titles of the film I Married a Witch).
- Fonts made in 2008: Alumino (inspired by Saul Bass's design for the aluminum company Alcoa), République (four fonts inspired by Paris Metro signs---not the familiar Art Nouveau "Metropolitain" signs, but the later Art Deco design by Adolphe Dervaux), Handbill (based on rubber stamps), Flash Mob, Pen Script Monograms, Royal Wedding (commercial set at Font Bros), 2 Clover Monograms, 4 Heart Monograms, Silverliner (based on the opening titles of the 1951 Hitchcock movie Strangers on a Train), Tricot (lettering as done on a sweater, after a design by Nancy Stahl), Silverliner (based on the opening titles of the 1951 Hitchcock movie Strangers on a Train), Carbon Copy, Bracelet Mongrams.
- Fonts made in 2007: Aeolian, Pub Bites, Barril and Barril Doble (a digital interpretation of the 1970s Neufville font Barrio), Circle Monograms, XOXO (grunge), Safety Pin (inspired by the cover of the June 1946 Ladies Home Journal), Swizzle Script (a script based on Stylescript, 1940, Sol Hess: compare with Coronet and Trafton), New England (script), Madfont (after MAD magazine's logo), Quince (a brush version of Klumpp's Murray hill), Plumber's Gothic, Gamera.
- Fonts made in 2006: Humdinger (comic book lettering), Stella Dallas (a Koch Antiqua style typeface based on he hand-lettered titles of the film Stella Dallas), Foam Light, Mean 26 Sans, Mean 26 Serif, Gaudi, Lapis Lazuli (3 calligraphic fonts based on Dan X. Solo's Papyrus), Garden, Boston Line and Philadelphia Line (inspired by Boston Line Type, developed in the 1830s by Samuel Gridley Howe for use in raised-letter printing for the blind; the Philadelphia Line fonts were inspired by another raised-print font, this one developed by Julius Friedlander and adopted in 1837 by his Philadelphia school, now the Overbrook School for the Blind), Honeymoon (a script based on the Holiday Inn lettering), Blooper and Bloop Script (after Cooper Black and Brush Script), Roman monograms.
- Fonts made in 2005: Don Semiformal, Fabulous Prizes, Valentin (inspired by the work of Valentin Haüy, creator of the first books for the blind), Chelt Press (a grungy Cheltenham), National Debt, Pub Smooth (followed in 2007 by Pub Bites), Baronial Monograms, Vine Monograms, Thaleia (revival of Thalia), Harold's Monograms Bold, Blockograms, CarmenMonograms, Profiler, Goya, Jest, Chaser, Rebus (dingbats), Dilemma, The Birds, CVelestial Alphabet.
- Fonts made in 2004: Snowflake Monograms, Upbeat Demi, Pessima, White Birch, Artistamp, Entwined Monograms, Project, Dirty Finger, Koch Dingbats, Yard Sale, Shield Monograms, Gainsborough (inspired by the hand-lettered titles of the Alfred Hitchcock film "The Lady Vanishes", 1938), Jim Dandy (an interpretation of the 19th century typeface Jim Crow), Gaumont (based on the hand-lettered titles of the film The 39 Steps (1935), a Gaumont-British Picture, directed by Alfred Hitchcock), Imitation2, Sunset, Bend It, Pretz, Cantabile, Echo, Skidz, Columbia Stamp, Trudeau Sans (a companion of his architectural typeface Trudeau), Frank the Architect (2004, a Frank Ching-inspired typeface not unlike Tekton).
- Fonts made in 2003: Card Characters, Pieces, Harlequin, Hexagrams&Octograms, Popstars, Level, Peace, Collegiate Monograms, Bead Chain, Marquee.
- Fonts made in 2002: Level, Backhand Brush, Joggle, Script Monograms, Brickletter, Font Shui (oriental simulation), Heartland (for Valentine's day), Melodymaker (for music), Antiestablishment, Penmanship, RingTV, Cabaletta (now called Roosevelt), Graceful Ghost (caps based on an 18th century French design by Pouget&fils), the Ixat family (grunge fonts), PalimpsestBlack (grunge font), PalimpsestDark, PalimpsestLight, PalimpsestRegular, Pearlie, Repent (based on the work of American folk artist Jesse Howard), WillingRace (upper and lower case together).
- Fonts made in 2001: Carmen Caps, Crazy Harold (2001, based on a font of the same name, as illustrated in Paul E. Kennedy's "Modern Display Alphabets"; extended to 8 weights in 2006), Easter Parade (brush script), Famous Label (pen lettering), FLORES (based on a florist's sign in Valencia, Spain), FONT ERROR, Guadalupe (Mexican simulation face), GuadalupeDos, HMBlackDiamondThree, HMBlackDiamondTwo, HMBlackOvalThree, HMBlackOvalTwo, HMWhiteDiamondThree, HMWhiteDiamondTwo, HMWhiteOvalThree, HMWhiteOvalTwo, Handmedown, Hymn, KaffeehausNeon (based on Kaufmann), PubSmooth (a variant of the classic font Publicity Gothic), Roselyn (a script font based on a font in "Lettering and Alphabets" by John Albert Cavanagh), RubaiyatDoubleLine, RubaiyatEngraved, RubaiyatInline, RubaiyatOutline, RubaiyatShadow, RubaiyatSolid, SanitaryBoldCaps, SanitaryDemi, SanitaryRegular, Shazi, ShaziGhost, Subtext (grunge font).
- Fonts made in 2000: Arrobatherapy, Barbeque, Black Oval Monogram, Bruce Mikita (oriental simulation), Bruce Mikita2, Cantabile, CantabileAlternate, Celestial Alphabet, the Goya family (extrapolated from the logo of the GOYA food products company), King Harold (inspired by the lettering on the Bayeux Tapestry), KingXmas, KingXmasStars, KochQuadratFill, KochQuadrat, KochQuadratGuides, KochQuadratInline, KochQuadratOutlines, Koch Rivoli, Lab Rat, Law School (based on the architectural lettering at Albany Law School, Albany, NY, now named Trudeau, after a design by architect Robert Louis Trudeau), Milky Way (based on a style of hand lettering by Ross F. George included in 1930s Speedball lettering books), MilkyWayTwo (2001), Neurotoxin, Pharmacy, Punchhappy (holes in letters, influenced by Apostrophe's Toolego?), Punchhappy Shadow, Quarterround, Quarterround Tile (a kitchen tile font), RedCircle (based on the lettering on Eight O'Clock brand coffees), Ringpin, ScarletRibbons (inspired by a Speedball lettering book from the 30s by Ross F. George), Screwball (font in memory of Madeline Kahn), Solemnity (an uncial font modeled on the analog font SOLEMNIS by Günter Gerhard Lange, 1952), ThreePartySystemA, ThreePartySystemB, ThreePartySystemC, Vasarely (named in honor of Op artist Victor Vasarely; based on a modular font by Jean Larcher).
- Fonts made in 1999: BrideOfTheMonsterStencil, Bubble Gum Rock A and B (1999-2002), CheltPressDark, CheltPressDarkVariegated, CheltPressLigh, CheltPressLightVariegated, CheltPress, Esquivel, EsquivelEngraved, Fulton Artistamp, MADFONT, Smellvetica, SmellveticaOutline, Vedette Blanche (movie roll font), VedetteNoire.
- Fonts made in 1998: BrideOfTheMonster (caps and numbers are based on Rudolph Koch's Neuland), Cheapskate family, Dominican (coffee bean bag font), Landmark, OldeChicago (based on the Apple Chicago font), Ricecakes, SavingsBond extended in 2006 to National Debt, National Debt Hilite and National Debt 3D), StampAct, StampActJumbled, Thanksgiving, Virile Open, Virile Solid.
- Typefaces from 2011: Bingo Dingo (dingbats inspired by the classic Mexican board game, Lotería), ManuCrypt (blackletter), Waldorf Text (blackletter).
- Typefaces from 2012: Albanita (date unclear though), Curator (a compact handwriting font), Seafare (circus style face), Hardline (op art prismatic style), London (inspired by London, Susan Kare's bitmap-style Olde English designed for Apple in the early 1980s. Variations include cross-stitch, harlequin (black and white diamonds), and shaded (diagonal lines)).
Link at Dafont. . Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
UK-based creator (b. 1975) of the poster typeface Ice Station Awesome (2011), Bright Young Things (2011), and the scratchy hand Yellow Back Radio (2011). John Wayne Ford (2014) is a poster typeface based on the ads for The Train Robbers. Cinder (2014) is a poster typeface.
Dafont link. [Google]
[Dan M. Zadorozny]
Born in Philadelphia and a resident of Texas, Dan Zadorozny's creations at Iconian. He is a prolific type designer who specializes in techno and sci-fi typefaces. Dafont link. Fontsy link. Abstract Fonts link. Font Squirrel link. His fonts in alphabetical order:
- #44 font (2002), 00Starmap (2001, pixel font), 1st Cav (2008), 2-Tech, 21 Gun Salute (2013), 2nd Amendment (2007, guns), 2nd Amendment 2050 (2009, more gun silhouettes), 2Toon, 300 Trojans (2008, comic book family), 4114 Blaster (2008, futuristic), 5th Agent (2008, techno), 7th Service (2002), 8th Element (2013), 911Porscha.
- Achilles, Action-Men (2008), Action Women (2008, female outlines), Aegis (2010, Greek simulation family), Aetherfox (2013), AirCobra (2002), Aircruiser (2011, trekkie family), AirForce (planes and copters), Airstrike (2013), Airstrip One (2003), Aldo's Moon, Aldo's Nova, Alexis (2001), Alien League, Alpha Sentry, Alpha Taurus (2007, octagonal, athletic lettering), Amalgam, Americorps (2012), Anakefka (2009, ultra-fat family), Antikythera (2013, Greek simulation face), Antilles (2009, sans family), Argosy, Arilon (2008), Army Rangers (2013, octagonal), Astropolis (2009), Atlantia (2012, futuristic), Avenger (2008, futuristic).
- Babes&Bond (2009, erotic silhouettes), Babe-alicious (2002, erotic outlines), Bad Robot (2007, computer game look), Bal-Astaral, Bamf (2011, techno family), Battlefield, Beam Rider, Beastian (2011), Ben Zion (2008, Hebrew simulation), Berserker (2008, grunge), Beta Biergärten (2008), Bio-disc, Bio-discSolid, Bio-discThin, Bionic Comic (2002), Bionic Type (2002), Birds of a Feather (2007, dingbats), Block, Blood Crow (2009), Bloodlust (2011, dripping blood face), Blue July (2009), Body Swipers (2014, Halloween font), Bog Beast (2013), Borgsquad (2014, mechanical/octagonal), Brin Athyn (2008, uncial/Celtric), Bronic (2004), Bubble Butt (2014, bubblegum typeface), Bummer (2007, octagonal), Bushido (2008, oriental simulation), Butch and Sundance (2013), Buttons the Bear (2008, children's hand), Byte Police.
- Capella (2011, a wide techno family), CasperComics, Chardin Doihle (2008), a useful informal handprinting family), Charlemagne, Charlie's-Angles, Cheyenne Hand (2008), Christendom, Clubber Lang (2013, grungy), C.O.D.E.R. (2012), Colossus (2011, old chipped stone look), ComicBookCommando, ComicFX, Commonwealth, Concielian, Corinthian, Covert Ops (2012, army stencil), Coyote Deco (2007, art deco), Crappity-Crap-Crap (2007), Crime Syndicate (2013), Crixus (2011, a squarish sans that includes an athletic lettering style), Cro-Magnum (2003), CryUncial, Cyberia (like Soviet: neat Russian imitation letters), Cyrus The Virus (2012, grungy, hand-printed).
- DS Man, Daedalus (2008), Daemonicus (2012), Dan Stargate (2008), Dan'sHand, Dark Alliance (2014), Dark Horse (nice brush font), Darkwind, Dassault (2013), Deathblood (2014, Halloween font), Delta Ray, Demon Priest (2013), Department-K, DepartmentH, Deranian (2008), Detonator, Devil Summoner (2014), DiegoCon (2004), Digital Desolation (2014), Ding-o-saurs (2007), Direktor (2008, Cyrillic simulation techno), Dire Wolf (2013), Disco-Dork, Disco Deck (2005), Disco Duck, Dodger, Dotcom (2002), Drafting Board (2008), Drafting Table (2008), Dragon Order (oriental simulation), Drid Herder (2002), Droid-Lover (2008), Drosselmeyer (my favorite).
- Eagleclaw (2009), Eaglemania, Earthrealm (2013), Earthshake (2013), Earth's Mightiest (2002), Eco-files, Eldebaran (2012), Elder Magic (2009), Election Day (2009), Emissary (2014, sci-fi), Empire Crown (2011, blackletter), Enduro, Ensign Flandry, Ephesian (2007), Erin Go Bragh (2009, Celtic/uncial), EscapeArtist, Eskindar (2013), Eternal Knight (2013), EverettSteele'sHand, Excelerate, Excelsior, Excelsior Comics, Exedore (2008), Exoplanet (2013, techno), Extechchop (2005).
- Factor, Falconhead, Famous Spaceships (2007), FantasticCreatures, Fantazian (2003), Fantom (2009, bad handwriting), Federal Escort (2014), Federal Service (2011), Federapolis (2008, octagonal techno face), Fedyral, Fedyral-II, Feldercarb (2003, octagonal font), Ferret Face (2013), Fiddler's Cove (2012), Fight Kid (2009), First Order (2001), Flesh Eating Comic (2013, grunge), Flight Corps (2008, techno/pixelish), FlyingLetaherneck (2002), Force Majeure, Foucault (2014, uncial), Frank-n-Plank (2013, a wooden plank font), Freakfinder (2014: Halloween font), Free-Agent (2008), Freedom Fighter (2013, stencil), From Bond With Love (2014: military stencil), FunnyPages, Futurex Grunge (2005).
- Galant, Galaxy-1 (2008), Galaxy Far Far Away (2009, futuristic dingbat font), Galaxy Force (2014), Galga (2008, futuristic), Gamma Sentry, Gemina (2011, sci-fi / techno family), Gemina2 (2013), Generation Nth, Gentleman Caller (2014), GeoBats (2007), Gearhead (2013, octagonal), Ghost Clan (2014), GI Incognito (2012), Global Dynamics (2014), Goalie (2008, hockey mask alphading), Gods of War, Governor, Graymalkin (2011, trekky), Grease Gun (2012), Grendel's Mother, Grim Ghost (2013), Grimlord (2009), Guardian (2008), Guardian-Laser (2008), Guardian-Pro (2008), Guardian-Shadow (2008), Gunship, Gunship V2 (2002), Gypsy Killer (2013), Gyrfalcon.
- Hadriatic (2008, roman lettering), Half Elven (2013), Halfshell Hero (2013), Hall of Heroes (2007), Halo, Han Solo (2013), Harrier (2002), Hawkmoon (2011), Hello Copters (2013: helicopter dingbats), Heorot (2009, stone age fonts), Heroes Assemble (2011), Heroes Assemble Dingbats (2014: all Avenger characters), Highrise Heaven (2007, city skyline dingbats), Hip Pocket (2014: psychedelic), Holy Empire, Homemade-Robot, Homeworld (2003), Homeworld Translator (2003), Horroween (2013, Halloween font), Hulkbusters, Hydro Squad (2014), Hypno Agent.
- Iapetus (2014, sci-fi), Icebox Art (2012), IWantMyTTR!, Iconian (2002), Iconified, Illuminati, Imaginary Forces (2008, mythical dingbats), Imperial Code (2003, Startrek style face), Imperium, Incubus, Incubus-Italic (2008), Incubus-Shadow (2008), Infinity Formula (2003, super techno), Infobubble, Inhumanity (2014), I-House Edition (2014), Interceptor (2008), Interdiction (2012), International Super Hero (2002), Intrepid, Iron-Cobra (2008), Iron Forge (2012).
- Jack's Candlestick (2013), Jackson, Jannisaries, Jedi Special Forces (2012), Jerusalem (1999, Hebrew font simulation)[see also here], Jetta, JettaTech, Jetway (2012, a stencil face), Johnny Torch (2012), Judge, Judge Hard, Justice (2009), Jumptroops (2003), Justinian.
- Kahless, KameraDings (2009), KarateChop (2009), Kartoons (2008), Katana, Kennebunkport (2013, script), Keystone (pixel font), Khazad-Dum (2011), Kid Cobalt (2008, comic book face), Kinex, King Commando (2011), King's Ransom, KnightsTemplar, Knock Furious (2003, dingbats), Kobold (2008, futuristic), Kondor (2013), Kountry Kodes (2008, international license plate lettering), Kovacs-Spot, Kovacs, Kreeture (2002), Kubrick (2008).
- Lamprey (2012, techno family), LandShark (2001), LandWhale (2001), Laredo Trail (2013, a Western face), Laserian, Law and Order (2005, dingbats), League Wars (2013, sci-fi stencil), Leatherface (2013), LegalTender, Legion, Lethal (2014), Liberty Island (2013, sci-fi), Lightsider (2011, Star Trekkish family), Lincoln Lode, Lionel (2009), Low Gun Screen (2008, a totally square screen type family), Lincoln Chain, Lionheart, Lobo-Tommy (2008), Lord of the Sith, Loveladies, Low Gun Screen (2008, screen face).
- Machiavelli, Mad Marker, Magic Beans (2007), Marathon-II, Marathon, Marsh Thing (2014, Halloween font), Masked Marvel (2002), Masterdom (2004), Metal Storm 3D (2008), Metronauts (2013), Metroplex, MetroplexLaser, MetroplexShadow, Michaelmas, Micronian (2009, pixelish headline family), Milk Bar (2003), Micronian (2008, extensive pixel-based family), Military-RPG (2008), Missile Man (2002, futuristic), Miss Amanda Jones (2004, brush style), Mobile Infantry, Modi Thorson (2013, techno), Monsterama (2011, scary face), Moon Dart (2008), Morse Kode, MorseNK, Movie Gallery (2008, dingbats), Mrs. Monster (2013, Halloween brush font), Mystic Singler (2008, rough brush face).
- Nathan Brazil (2013, art deco), National Express (2003), Native Alien, Nemesis Enforcer (2013), Neo-Geo (like the letters on the Neon cars), Neuralnomicon, Nextwave (2014), Nick Turbo (2001), NifeFite, NifeFiter, NifeFites, Nightchilde (2013), Nightrunner (2008, sci-fi), Nightwraith (2011, techno family), Ninjas (2002), Nobody's Home (2014: poster font), NoloContendre, Northstar (2014), Nostromo, Nuevo Passion (2013), Nyet (2002, Soviet letter simulation).
- Oberon, Oberon-Deux, Obsidiscs (2003, dingbats), Oceanic Drift (2013), October Guard (2013, Cyrillic simulation face), Odinson (2007, runes), Oh Mighty Isis (2014, Greek simulation family), Olympicons (2003), Omega 3 (2010, futuristic), Omega Force (2013, octagonal / mechanical), Omega Sentry, OmniGirl (2003, techno), Opilio (2012), Opus Magnus (2013, metal band font), Oramac (2004), Ore Crusher (2013), Outlands-Truetype (2001), Outrider (2013), Overstreet Bible (2014, hand-printed), Ozda (2011, a fat techno family with several horizontally striped styles), Ozymandias.
- Psyonic VII (2012), Pandemonious Puffery (2002), Parker's Hand (2002, handwriting), Perdition, Peregrine, Phaser Bank (2008, techno), Philadelphia, Philly Dings (2003), Piper Pie (2007), Pistoleer (2011), Planet N, Planet S, Planet X, Player 1 Up (2012: architectural family), Police Cruiser (2013), Postmaster, Power Lord (2011), Presley-Press (2007), Press Darling (2012), Procyon, Prokofiev (2009, rounded and squarish), Promethean (2008), Protoplasm, Prowler (2013), Pseudo Saudi (1999, Arabic simulation), Psycho Butcher (2014, ransom note font), PuffAngel, Pulse Rifle (2009), Pyrabet.
- QTs (2013: erotic silhouettes), Quake-&-Shake, Quantum of Malice (2013), Quark Storm (2013), Quartermain (2002), Quasitron (2009, futuristic), Quatl (2002, an Inca font), Queen&Country (2009), Quest Knight (2009), Questlok, Quicken (2013, horizontal stencil), Quickening (2014), QuickGear, Quickmark (2004), QuickQuick, QuickStrike, QuickTech.
- RCMP, RadZad, Radio-Space, Raise Your Flag (2013), Realpolitik, Rebecca, Rebel Command (2012, Star Trek family), Redcoat (2008, blackletter), Red Rocket (2011, techno), Regulators, Renegado (2014), Replicant, Repulsor (2013, pixelish), Rhalina (2011, a nice upright script), Righteous Kill (2009), Robotaur (2008), Rocket Junk, Rocket Type (2002), Rogue-Hero, Roid Rage (2003), Ro'Ki'Kier (2008), Rosicrucian (2009, stone age font), Rubber Boy (2013, poster font family).
- Sable Lion (2002), Sagan (2008, futuristic), Scarab, ScarabScript, Sci-Fi (2008), SDF (2013), Sea-Dog, Searider-Falcon (2008), Secret Files (2011), Sever, Shining Herald (2013), Singapore Sling (2014), SisterEurope, Skirmisher (2014), Skyhawk (2014), Snubfighter (2009, sci-fi), Soldier (2011), Sound FX (2003), Soviet, Space Cruiser, Space Junker, Space Ranger (2013), SPQR (2008, grunge roman), Spy Agency (2012), Spy Lord (2001), Starduster (2011), Star Eagle (2014), Starfighter, Star Navy (2009: dingbats), Stranger Danger (2014: grunge), Strikelord (2011, trekkie family), Stuntman, Subadai Baan (2013), Super Soldier (2014, silhouettes), SuperUltra911, Superago (2002).
- Talkies (2008, dingbats), Tarrget (2013, based on the Tekken "Tag Tournament" logo), Taskforce (2008), Tauro (2012), Team America (2014), Tele-Marines, Terra Firma, Terran, Texas, Texas2, TheRifleman, The Shire (2009), The Shooter (2012: gun dingbats), Texas Ranger (2014: Western font), Thundergod, Thundergod II (2013), Thunder-Hawk (2011, an aviation techno face), Tigershark (2013), Timberwolf (2011), Time Warriors (2007), Tool (2012, dingbats of tools), Toon Town Industrial (2005, comic book font), Tower Ruins (2014: stencil), Tracer, Trajia (2008, a techno/stencil/athletic lettering family), Traveler (2008), Travelicons (2009), Travesty (2003, scrawly handwriting), Trek Trooper (2008, Startrek font), Trigger Man (2013, octagonal and mechanical), Trireme (2011, Star trek family), Tristram (2008, uncial), Troopers (2011, futuristic), Trueheart (2009, Celtic), Tussle (2002), Typeecanoe (hand-printed), Typhoon (2013).
- Uberholme, Uberholme Lazar (2001), UFO Hunter (2009), Ultra 911, Ultramarines (2013), Underground Rose (2014, connect-the-dots), Unisol, United Palanets (2014), UniversalJack, Uno Estado (2009, constructivist), U.S.A., USArmy, US Army II (2013), US Marshal (2012), US Navy (2007), U.S.S. Dallas (2008), Usuzi.
- Valerius (2009, uncial), Valkyrie (2008), Valley Forge (2008), Vampire Games (2001), VariShapes (2001), Vicious Hunger (2014, grunge), VideoStar, Vigilante Notes (2003), Vilmos Magyar, Vindicator (2012, techno), Virgin Hybrid (2014), voxBOX, Voortrekker Pro (2009: octagonal and athletic lettering family), Vorpal (2012: sci-fi stencil face), Vorvolaka (2013), Voyage Fantastique (2013), VX Rocket (2014, fat octagonal face), Vyper (2008, futuristic stencil).
- War Eagle (2009), warlock's Ale (2014), War Machine, War Priest (2012), Warrior Nation (2011), Wars of Asgard (2009), Watchtower (2012), Weaponeer (2008, military lettering), Were-Beast (2008), Wet Works (2013, grungy stencil), Whatafont, Ensign Flandry (2003), Whiskey Bravo (2003), Wildcard (2011, Star trek family), Wimp Out (2004), Wolf's Bane (+II, +Super-Extended, 2013), Woodgod (2013), Worldnet (great wordly O), Write Off, Writer's-Block, WyldStallyns.
- Xaphan (2003), XCryption (1999, a hacker face), X-Fighters (2014), XPED, Xcelsion (2002), Xenophobia, Xephyr, Xeppelin (2005, zeppelin dingbats), X-Grid (2008), Xiphos (2007), Xmas Xpress (2013), Xoxoxa, X-Racer (2012).
- Yahren, Yama Moto (2009: oriental simulation), Yankee Clipper (2011), Yay USA (2013), Year 2000, Year3000 (2001), Yellow Jacket (2002), Yiroglyphics (2004), Yorstat (oriental simulation), Younger Brothers (2014), Young Frankenstein (2013), Youngtechs (2008, futuristic), Yukon Tech.
- Za's Vid (2001, pixel font), Zado (2002, dot-matrix font), Zakenstein (2011, caps only grunge), Zamboni Joe (2002, hand-printed)), Zealot (2008), Zee Lance, Zen Masters (2002, pixelish), Zeta Sentry (2009, techno/futuristic), Zollern (2013), Zombie Control (2013: a bloody paint drip face), Zone Rider, Zoologic (2009, animal dingbats), Zyborgs, Zymbols.
Design company in Brazil run by Paulo W (b. 1970) from Recife. Paulo W is a gaúcho (Brazilian southerner), with interests in multiple areas, including poetry (he has published the digital opus Magical Book), graphic design and, most recently, type design.
Dafont link. MyFonts. MyFonts link. Abstract Fonts link. YWFT link. Behance link. Blog. Home page. Fonthaus. Monotype. Eshops. Facebook. Flickr. Klingspor link. Wordpress. Devian tart. T26. Linkedin. Identifont. Linotype. ITC. Faces.co. His typefaces:
- Free fonts: Inductive Resonance (2014: connected script), Retrodings (+Two, 2014), Living In The Past (outlined Tuscan face), Rough Ornaments Free (2014), CornPop Three (borders), Too Good To Be True (2013, retro script), Blanchard Inland (2013), Living Together (2013), Arresto (2013, brush script), Hertziano (2013, non-connected fat script), Japanese Tourist (2013), Nouveau Never Dies Free (2013), The Beat Goes On (2012, fifties script), Stencix (2012), Figgins Brute Trash (grunge), Fontaniolo Beveled (2011, ornamental caps), Czech Gotika (2011), Random Dingbats (2011), Victorian Free Ornaments (2011), Rustic (2011), Armorial (2011), Woman Silhouettes (2011), The Nile Song (2010, hieroglyphics), Smith Typewriter (2009), Sign Flags (2010, semaphore dingbats), Senectus Morbus (2010), MesoAmerica (2010, Indian symbols), ClassicSketches (2010, dingbats), Columns (2010, dingbats of Greek and Roman columns), EasyCuneiform (2010), EasyLombardicTwo (2010), EasyOpenFace (2010, blackboard bold style), Egidia (2010), Significante (2010, dingbats with, e.g., gender symbols), WhiteDominoes (2010, domino pieces), Easy Heraldics (2010), Intellecta Heraldics (2010), Heraldic Devices (2011), KidingsFree (2010, dingbats), RoughTuscan (2010), The French (2009, Fleur de Lys dings), AprendizCaligrafico (2010), Volitiva (2006, Trajan caps and chancery lower case, all based on work by Ludovico Vicentino Arrighi), Gaivota (2006), KurrentKupferstichThin (2006), PaulKlein (2010), PaulKleinTwo (2010), PortuguesArcaicoLectura (2005), ReproxScript (2009, based on Jerry Mullen's Repro Script from 1953-1954), RickGearyHomage (2007, scanbats), WestBalaio (2006, ornamental caps), Corto Maltese (2006, scanbats), Renaissance Coiffure (2006), Renaissance Ornaments (2007), Renaissance Shoes (2012, free), TTF Tattoef (2006, tattoo-inspired dingbats), ExperiTypo5 (2006), Lower Metal (2006), Geometric Serif PW (2006), Geometric (2006), Geometric Petras PW (2006), War II Warplanes (2005), Carbono (2005), Times New Vespasian (2005), BoldBold (2005), Vengeance (2005), Doppleganger (2005), Chancelaresca (2005), Cursivo Saxonio (2005), Gotische Minuskel 1269 (2005: a Kanzlei Schrift after Dekan Hermann zu Soest, 1269) and Guto Lacaz (2005, dingbats).
- Richard Gans revival project: Gans Tipo Adorno, Gans Lath Modern, Gans Titular Adornada (2006), Gans Ibarra (2006), Gans Antigua (2006), Gans Antigua Manuscrito (2006), Gans Radio Lumina (2006), Gans Fulgor (2006), Gans Carmem Adornada (2006), Gans Italiana (2006, extensive Italian-style slab serif family), Gans Titania (2007), Gans Titania Adornada (2007), Gans Titular (2007), Gans Gotico Globo (2007: 9 styles by Iza W), Gans Royality (2007: 3 styles by Iza W), Gans Headpieces (2008), Gans Rasgos Escritura (2010: filets---followed in 2011 by Rasgos Escritura Nuevos), Gan Esquinazos (2010, frames), Gans Blasones (2010, shields), Gans Neoclassic Fleurons (2008), Gans Classical Fleurons, Gans Ding.
- Wood-inspired faces: Dead Wood Rustic (2007), Taranatiritza (5 wood type styles, after William Hamilton Page), Majestade (2007, by Iza W---two Tuscan style faces), Decorative Tuscanian (2007), Concave Tuscan (2010, wood type), Palermo (2007, by Iza W---Tuscan style family), Teatro (2009, Tuscan), Bruce Double Pica (2009, Tuscan; the Beveled weight is free), Antique Extended (2010, slab serif wood type), Dark Wood (2009, gothic), Dark Wood Beveled (2011).
- Charles Bluemlein's script revivals: Bluelmin Kisaburo (2013), Bluelmin Ralph (2012), Bluelmin Ronald (2012), Bluelmin Sandsfort (2012) and Bluelmin Benedict (2012). (2012).
- Blackletter: Salterio (2012, +Trash, +Three, +Gradient, +Shadow, +Shadow Two), Leothric (2011, bastarda), Bruce 532 Blackletter (2011, after George Bruce), Schneider Buch Deutsch (2007, +Trash, +Shadow, +Shadow Two), Schneidler halb fette Deutsch (2009, +Beveled), Schneidler Zierbuchstaben, Hostetler Fette Ultfraktur Ornamental (2007, blackletter caps), Gothic 16 CG (2007), Gothic 16 CG Decorative (2007, blackletter caps), Schneidler Grobe Gotisch (2008, Iza W, T-26), Allerlei Zierat (2008, ornament fonts based on a 1902 catalog of Schelter & Giesecke), Allerlei Zierat Capitals (2007), Psalter Gotisch (2009, a blackletter after the Benjamin Krebs blackletter face by the same name, ca. 1890), Münster-Gotische (2009, a blackletter family after a 1896 typeface by the same created by Schelter&Giesecke), Koberger N24 Schwabacher (2007), Student's Alphabet (2007, blackletter), Like Gutemberg Caps (2007), Nürnberg Schwabacher, Gotische Frame (2007: four framed blackletter styles by Iza W), Gotische (2007: ten ornate blackletter styles by Iza W), Gothic Garbage, Gothic Shadow, Gothic Trashed, Gothic Flourish (2009), Gotica Moderna (octagonal, blackletter), AltDeutsch (2007, four severe blackletter fonts by Iza W), Fin Fraktur, Gotische Bouffard, Heimat RGS, Gothic Handtooled Bastarda (2006), HostetlerFetteUltfrakturOrnamental (2007, blackletter caps), Gothic Handtooled Bastarda (2006).
- Historical revivals: Pantographia (2010: a digitization, as is, of several alphabets from Edmund Fry's Pantographia, 1799), Caslon2000, Caslon B, Delamotte Large Relief (2010), Figgins Brute (2007: 8 heavy Egyptian styles by Iza W based on Figgins' 1817 specimen book), Erased Figgins Brute (2007), Gras Vibert (2007, a didone family; followed by Gras Vibert Two in 2009).
- Erotic or human alphabets: American Way of Life (2011), Roman Silhouettes (2011), Silvestre Weygel (2007, named after Martin Weygel'a erotic alphabet from 1560, which in turn was based on Peter Flötner's 1534 alphabet), Gravure (caps typeface made of human silhouettes), Innocence (2007, dingbats of girls).
- Medieval chancery hand: Portugues Arcaico (2005, three medieval handwriting styles), Kurrent Kupfertisch (2006, a medieval hand done with Fernanda Salmona), Dovtrina Christam 1622 (authentic old manuscript face), Catania (2007, exquisite medieval caps in 3 styles by Iza W).
- Typewriter faces: Remix Typewriter (2012), Smith Trash (2012), Neo Bulletin (2010, +Trash), Remington PW (old typewriter face), Olivetti Linea (old typewriter face), Erased Typewriter 2 (2007: 4 styles by Paulo W), RIP Typewriter (2009), Shadow Typewriter (2007), Underwood Typewriter (by Iza W).
- Calligraphic: Bradstone Parker Script (after Zaner's penmanship), Jan van den Velde Script (2011, based on the penmanship of Jan van den Velde as illustrated in vna den Velde's 1605 book Spieghel der schrijfkonste; developed jointly by Paulo and Iza W), Penabico (2010, with Iza W); Penabico is a free interpretation of the copperplate script styles to be found in the Universal Penman, London, 1741, by George Bickham---it contains over 1500 calligraphic glyphs and 250 ornaments. Samples of Penabico: i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix), Easy Calig, Intellecta Mixed Script (2008), Spencerian Constancia (2008), Calligraphia Latina Soft4 (2010, quilled ornaments), Intellecta Script commercial (2009), Spencerian By Product (2009), Spencerian Palmer Penmanship Pro (2010), Indenture English Penman (2010), Calligraphia Latina (2008-2010, in weights called Soft2, Dense, 3, Soft4, Mixed, Square Edition).
- Victorian, Edwardian: Engel (2007, by Iza W in 15 styles that have a 1870s look), Compendium (Victorian), Costado (2009, a Victorian / Western face).
- Ornamental caps: Doppel Mittel Lapidar Azure (2012), Musirte Antiqua (2012), The House of Usher (2012), Peterlon (2012), Dolphus Mieg Alphabet (2011, +Two), Dolphus Mieg Monograms (2011), Human Nature (2011), English Arabesque Revival 1900 (2011), Imprenta Royal Nonpareil (2011), XVI Century Shaw Woodcuts (2011), Ichweis Caps (2011), Cherubim Caps (2011), Rara Beleza (2011), Gothic 1880 Revival (2011), Angelicaps (2010), Unnamed Caps Two (2010), VertiCaps (2010) Rebimboca Caps (2010), Rebimboca Beveled (2012, free), Rebimboca Gradient (2012, free), Rebimboca Trash (2012, free), Rebimboca Outlined (2012, free), Republica Presente (2010), Speedball Metropolitan Caps (2010, after a design by Ross F. George), Nice Initials (2010), Morphelic (2010), DurerGotischCapitals (2010), Egmontian (2007, ornamental caps family), Saducismus Triumphatus (ornamental caps), Vogus (Victorian caps), Victorian Ornamental Capitals (2009) and Frompac 1889 Arabesque (2007) [both are classical arabesques published in Ludwig Petzendorfer's Schriften-Atlas. Eine Sammlung der wichtigsten Schreib- und Druckschriften aus alter und neuer Zeit nebst Initialen, Monogrammen, Mappen, Landeskarten und heraldischen Motiven fur die praktischen Zwecke des Kunstgewerbes, 1889], Lettrines Petin (+Ornée), Numa Initials (2006), Gradl Initialen, Vampirevich (2009, ornamental caps), Paulus Franck 1602 (2006, ornate caps), Geodec (2006, baroque caps), HostetlerFetteUltfrakturOrnamental (2007, blackletter caps), Cadels (2007, ornate caps by Iza W), Manuscript XIV Century (2007, by Iza W--four Lombardic caps), Merona (2007, by Iza W--ten Lombardic caps fonts), Selena (2007, by Iza W---ornate Victorian caps), Leyenda (great Victorian era ornamental caps), Mixed Capital Style (2007, caps), Lenda (2008, capitals), Kidnaped at Old Times (2008, ornamental caps, ransom note style), Mortised Capitals, Is Not ABrazilian Font (hand-printed blackboard bold caps), Robur The Conqueror (2009, ornamental caps), Georgia Capitals (2009), Decadence avec Elegance (exaggerated ornamental caps).
- The American Advertise series: American Advertise No. 9 (2008), American Advertise No. 17 (2007, 19th century caps), American Advertise 018 and 019 (2008), American Advertise Square Series (2007), American Advertise 003 (2012), American Advertise 004 (2010), American Advertise 005 (2010), American Advertise 006 (2010, alphadings), American Advertise 007 (2010, ornamental caps).
- Ornaments, fleurons: Unpublished Ornaments Two (2013), Classix (2012), Cornucopia of Dingbats (2012-2014, +Two, +Three, +Four, +Five, +Six, +Seven), Cornucopia of Ornaments (2013; +Two, +Three, +Four, +Five, +Six, 2014), Cornucopia Caligrafica (2012), Vintage Hands (2012), Human Silhouettes (2012; +Free, 2013; +Two, 2013; +Human Silhouettes Three, 2013; +Four, 2013; +Five, 2014; +Six, 2014; +Seven, 2014; +Eight, 2014), Easy Fleurons (2012), Floreale Two (2012), Neoclassic Fleurons Free (2011), Calligraphic Frames Soft (2011, +Two), Jugendstil Flowers Free (2011), Easy Ornaments (2011), Blasons (2011), Blasons Free (2012), Armorial (2011), Monograms Soft (2010, with Iza W), Easy Tiles (2010), Free Tiles (2010), Rough Fleurons Two (2010), Vegetable Breath (2010), Corn Pop Plus (2010), Mortised Fleurons (2010), Mortised Ornaments (2011), Mortised Ornaments Free Two (2013), Golden Times (2010), Stahlhelme und Kronen (2010), Rough Fleurons (2006), Nouveau Never Dies (2009, ornaments), GeodecBruceOrnamented6 (2006, after a sample from the Bruce Type Foundry), Grave Ornamental (2006), BlackOrnaments (2008), Hera Hedelix (2009, ornamental tiles), Mortised Ornaments (2009), Soft Fleurons (2007), Half Flower (2007), Frames 1 (2007, by Iza W), Flower Essences, Micro Fleurons (2009), Naturella (2009, leaf and grape dingbats by Iza W), Black Fleurons (2010), Easy Fleurons Two (2011), Intellecta Borders (2008, by Iza W), Intellecta Style (2007, borders).
- Fonts made before 2007: Brute Aldine (2007, Western family), Bad Situation (2007, after a design by Freeman Delamotte from 1864), Benjamin Franklin (2007), Geodec Petras Enhanced (2006), Deutsche Poster (2006), FatFontGrotesk (2006), Orchis (2006, an art deco family by Iza W), Fantis (2006), Frompac (2006, with Iza W), Geodec Fog (2006), Intellecta Modern (2006), Intellecta Modern 2 (2006), Intellecta Romana Humanistica (2006), Advantage (2006, together with Iza W), Biza (2006, together with Iza W), Elegancy (2006, together with Iza W), Estiliza (2006, a sans family together with Iza W), Experitypo 4, Stairway to Heaven, Copperplate PW, Dings PW, Roger Dean, Gliphs PW, Luxeuil, Watchtower Bible 1965, Gabinete Portugues (11 fonts), Elara (2009), Xilografuras (dingbats), Beta, Alta, Paleolitica Nacional, Shakespeare Studs, Copperplate collection (5 fonts), Wine, Ampersamp, James Poem, Leal Conselheiro, Haeckel Enygma, Iza B, Of, Lementa (2006, ornate family), Pirates (dingbats), Wire Clip (2009), Divina Proportione (2009, dingbats), Tharagaverung (2007), Correo (2009, a nice manly bold face), Titivilus (2007, Roman lettering), Pirates De Luxe (2007, dingbats), Geodec Minuskel (2006), Geodec Spyral (2006), Copperplate Decorative (2006), Feosa (2006), Francesco Decorative (2006, Iza W), Geodec Petras Enhanced (2006), Ibarra Flourished (2006), Intellecta Decorative 017 (2006), Intellecta Decorative 018 (2006), Intellecta Slab Bold (2006), Kansas Decorative (2006), Pingente (2006), Sixties Living (2006), Caractere Doublet (2007), DeutschePosterSteinschrift (2007; by Iza W), GP Casual Script (2007), Colonia Portuguesa (2007), Contouration (2007), Deco Experiment 3 (2007), Floresco (2007), Flower Jars (2007, by Iza W---a very nice idea), Frutisis (2007), Intellecta Monograms (2007: 19 monogram fonts by Paulo W), Intellecta Monograms Random Sample (2012-2013: several typefaces), Peloponeso (2007, by Iza W), Porcupine (2007, by Iza W), Southern Flight (2007, by Iza W---condensed), TTF TTTOEF 4 (2007, by Iza W---dingbats), GeodecBruceFlourished, HostetlerNormande, Victorian Ultra Parphernalia (2007), Angels (2007), Angels Free (2013), Mondrongo (2007), Oorlog (2007).
- Fonts in 2008: Das Riese (3d engraved caps, +Shadow), Economica (sans, T26), Antiqua Double 12, Bad Baltimore (+Beveled, +Typewriter), Calligraphia Latina (2008-2009, in weights called Soft2, Dense, 3, Mixed, Square Edition, Free), Fry's Alphabet, Grissom (bug dingbats, by Iza W), Latinish (by Iza W), Lettering Deco (by Iza W), Litho Romana Inland, Quadratta Serif (a slab serif by Fernando Diaz), TTF TATTOEF 7 (by Iza W).
- Fonts made in 2009: Eingraviert (engraved; scans: i, ii, iii), Eingraviert Beveled (2011), Greko Roman Oldstyle, Ortodoxa do oriente, Sans Square, Speedball (by Iza W, Victorian style), Speedball Western Letters (after Ross F. George's lettering), Elara (2009), Intellecta Roman Tall, Force Brute & Ignorance, Sunamy Caps, Starret, The Pilgrim (alphadings), Renaisperian (alphadings), Real Caps Two, Mateus Bold (4 bold styles), Intellecta Crafts (arts and crafts family), Bruce 1490, Bradley Dingies (five dingbat faces, after William H. Bradley), Allerlei Zierat Renaissance, Grave Plus, the grungy Monkey series (Victorian Monkey, Monkey Poesy, Monkey Messed Gutenberg Caps, Monkey Was Here, Monkey Insinuation, Monkey In The Middle Ages), Montezuma (dingbats), Grotesque and Arabesque, Calhambeque (old car dingbats), Eiger (2009, a 3d sketched headline face).
- Faces made in 2010: Polen, Pencraft (capitals were inspired in Swagger Capitals, an original design from Carl Stephen Junge, at Barnhart Brothers & Spindler; lowercase based Pencraft Specials, an ornamental variation of the Pencraft Oldstyle series, as displayed in the BBS catalog from 1922), Salamemingoe (children's hand), BarberPoles, Beware the neighbors (scary), BlackInitialText, CaligrafiaDivina, CornPop, CowboyHippie Pro, Grotesca3-D, Nardis, Senzacuore, Speedball Metropolitan Poster (2010, after a design by Ross F. George), TagWood, Tosca, TypographyTribute, Zooland, Bubbleboddy-Fat, bubbleboddylight-Light, Pretoria Gross (a Victorian family done with Iza W), Wood Font Five (wood plank font), Wood Font Four, Herr Foch (art nouveau), Rebimboca, Octagon French (a 3d beveled typeface due to George Nesbitt, 1838), Picuxuxo (retro futuristic, comic book style), Large Old English Riband, Ornamental Riband, Kidings (Dutch dingbats), Hostil (originally done in 2007: a headline family; followed by Hostil Shadow Two (free, 2012) and Hostil Gradient (free, 2012)), Grotesca, Heptagon French, Antiquariaat (condensed), Cortinado, Sanoxio (3d headline face), Violentia (grunge), Swirlies (spiral dings).
- Faces from 2011: Dia de los Muertos (fantastic skeletal masks), Inland Becker, Rasgos Escritura Nuevos, Jaggard (2007, a renaissance penmanship caps typeface modeled after Joachim Romann's Queen (1954-1956, Stempel)), Jaggard Two, Naive Ornaments Black, Augustus (+Beveled: roman letters), Sayonara (oriental simulation face; the Beveled style is free), Trash Barusa (inline ornamental face), Free Ribbons, Black Ornaments Three, Calligraphia Latina Soft 5, Heraldic Devices Premium, Ornate Blackboards, Benjamin Franklin Beveled, Baltimore Typewriter Beveled, Bernardo Beveled, Van den Velde Script (a free interpretation of the work of the famous master penman Jan van den Velde, found in the Spieghel der schrijfkonste, in den welcken ghesien worden veelderhande gheschrifften met hare fondementen ende onderrichtinghe (Haarlen, 1605)), Indenture English Penmanship, Penmanship Birds and Ornaments (2012), Beware The Neighboors Shadow (texture face), White Free (shadow face), Delamotte Large Relief Beveled.
- Typefaces made in 2012: Porosa, Presto, Derradeira (signage script), About Sweet Memories (brush script), Intellecta Ribbons, Irrelevante (beveled caps), Laus Sus Chris (Christian dingbats), Unpublished Ornaments, Heavy Squared Writing (brush face), Mezcla Titan, Sweet About (retro script), Publicité, Hard to read monograms, Free Medieval, Doctor Polidori (initial caps), Mixed Silhouettes, Glosilla Castellana Cursiva (inline type family), Sayonax (a textured version of the oriental simulation typeface Sayonara), Wood Stevens (free), Rockabilly (fifties script), Interdite Script (heavy calligraphic face), Prismatica (free), Cristalid (free prismatic face), Zed Leppelin (free), Neo Bulletin Outline (free), Neo Bulletin College (2012), Victorian Free Ornaments (+Two), Spanish Army Shields (+Two), Varius Multiplex, Stephens Heavy Titling.
- Typefaces from 2013: Face of Yesterday (calligraphic script), Ribbon in the sky, Dreamer (a flowing upright semi-connected script), Vorname (blackletter), Barocque Capitals, Close To You (a rabbit-eared script), Wappen (heraldic shields), Eletroz (hand-printed), Morcrepito (blackletter), Metropolitan Poster Black, Animal Silhouettes, Intellecta Pointers and Hands, The Loyalist (script), Vonnegut (a left-leaning script), Perhaps Love (left-leaning script), So Lonely (script), Exposition (upright script), Plaster of Paris (connected script), Volstead (connected script), Versitia (connected script), Porongo (heavy brush script), Fat Fantasy, Das Krieg (soldier dingbats), Corn Pop Two (ornamental corners), Corn Pop Four, Corn Pop Five, Astrodings, Vulnavia Sans (comic book face), Capitular Heraldica, Mirella Initials Ornamntals (a swashy calligraphic script; with Iza W), Carpete (retro script), Free Writer, Round Hand, Exclusivite (fifties script), Hertz Oscillations (fat retro script), Heavy Rock (fifties script), Raindrops (retro script), Ralph Walker (ronde), Exiles (retro signage script), Mr. Richmond Caps (art nouveau alphadings), Berengard Caps Two.
- Typefaces from 2014: Prester John, Animals Old Cuts, Take a Pebble, Corn Pop Five (borders), Kidnapped at German Lands (ransom note font), Kidnapped at German Lands 2, Kidnapped at German Lands 3.
British creator of the free oriental simulation typeface Reading From The East (2012), which is entirely based on hiragana for lowercase and on kanji for uppercase. He also made Roarin Twenties Counterfeit (2012, art deco), Halftone Nium (2014), Radium Corporation (2014), Uraenium (20143), Coradium (2014), and Radiometry (2014). [Google]
American poster artist. A poster for Radiohead in the 1990s inspired Funky Rundkopf (2007, Nick Curtis). [Google]
John M. Fiscella
[Production First Software]
Born in 1951, John Moore is a Venezuelan type designer. He studied graphic design in the Institute of graphic design Neumann from 1972 until 1976. In 1980 he took a workshop with Milton Glaser and since 1983 he has worked as an art director and creative director in many advertising agencies. He designs type since 1976.
His typefaces Gordis (a fattish comic book family) and Tepuy won awards at Tipos Latinos 2008 in the non-text and experimental typeface categories, respectively. At Tipos Latinos 2010, he won twice in the display category, for Victorina and Radio Time.
His typefaces: (New) Maracay (2013, a large layered Victorian signage family), Fine Art OT (2013, brushy typeface), Roadline Italic (2013, a retro script), JMTF Robin (2013, a layered post-modernist display family), Virgin Script (2013), Radio Time (2013, fat retro signage script), Radio Time Icons (2013), Palaima (2013, an aboriginal style face), Factor (2012, a layered geometric font), Onda (2012, a wavy psychedelic face), Blockee (2012), Aliykit Open (2012, a multiline typeface), VE Inconexa (2006, outline architectural face), VE Makiritare (2006, a double labyrinthine script that is based on symbolisms used by the Makiritare or Yecuana, river people who live in the village of Santa Maria de Erebato in the Venezuelan jungle on the border with Brazil), VE Moho (2006; or simply Moho in 2014), VE Palaima (2006, futuristic, Amazonian), Radio Time (fifties style script, with Alejandro Paul at Sudtipos), Fruta (stencil, influenced by Glaser?), Glaser Stencil Round, Gothike (sharp-edges), Aqua (ultra round), Club, Caracas (sans), Factor (hookish), Space Lab (futuristic family), Robin (headline), Victorina (multiline Victorian poster typeface which won an award at Tipos Latinos 2010), Victorina Black Shadow (2011), Waterman (2010, a flowing undulating script family), Spacelab (2010, futuristic) and RobinBienalII (2005).
Sudtipos sells these fonts of his via MyFonts: Makiritare (bilined, based on woven baskets), Palaima (experimental, runic), Precolombino (petroglyphs), Tepuy (rounded version of Makiritare), Roadline (2009, fifties diner font), Sacred Geo (2011, a geometric dingbat font that won an award at Tipos Latinos 2012), DeCoro (2011, art deco family), Sacred Geo Tiling (2011), Primate (2012, an African look typeface family), Morenita (2012, a connected fifties or school script), Takox (2012), Petroglifos (2012), Xtencil (2012, a rounded stencil influenced by Milton Glaser; followed by Xtencil LC and UC in 2013).
Typefaces from 2014: Scripta Pro and Gothic (40s-style lettering typeface inspired by the style of L.H. Copeland), InkArt Labels, Moho (named after Laszlo Moholy-Nagy), MohoBis Pro (a multilined version of Moho), Moho Condensed, Moho Script, Duvall (named after Edward J. Duvall, who published Modern Sign Painting in the late 1940s; Duvall won an award at Tipos Latinos 2014).
Klingspor link. MyFonts link. Behance link. Poster.
View John Moore's typefaces. [Google]
[Love Font Vapour Trail]
K-Type is Keith Bates' (b. 1951, Liverpool) foundry in Manchester, UK, est. 2003. Keith works as an Art&Design teacher at a Salford High School. Dafont link. Yet another URL. Fontspace link. Fontsy link. Behance link. They custom design type, and sell some of their own creations.
- Adequate (2012). A basic geometric monoline sans family.
- Adventuring (2010, comic book style)
- Alan Hand (2005, based on some blobby lettering, handwritten by printer and mail artist, Alan Brignull)
- Alex (2002-2004)
- Alright (2004, cursive script)
- Anna (2002-2007)
- Bank of England (2012, blackletter): Bank of England is loosely based on blackletter lettering from the Series F English twenty pound banknote introduced in 2007. The font also takes inspiration from German Kanzlei (Chancery) typefaces and the 17th century London calligrapher, John Ayres.
- Brush Hand New (2013): Brush Hand New is a full font based on a copy of Flash Bold called Brush Hand marketed by WSI in the 1990s and more recently distributed through free font sites. Brush Hand was an anonymous redrawing of Flash which simplified, slightly lightened, smoothed out ragged edges, and improved the legibility of the original classic created by Edwin W. Shaar in 1939.
- Building&Loan (2007, engaved face)
- Bigfoot (2005, a Western font based on the slab capitals used by Victor Moscoso in his 1960s psychedelic rock posters)
- Bolshy (2009)
- Bolton750 (2003, a mechanical typeface done with John Washington)
- Chock (2009)
- Circa (geometric sans)
- Collegiate (2009)
- Component (2012). A font for lost civilizations and dungeon rituals.
- Context (experimental)
- Credit Card (2010, font for simulating bank cards)
- Cyberscript (2006, connected squarish face)
- Enamela (2013). Keith writes: Enamela (rhymes with Pamela) is based on condensed sans serif lettering found on vitreous enamel signage dating from the Victorian era and widely used in Britain for road signs, Post Office signs, the plates on James Ludlow wall postboxes, railway signs, direction signs and circular Automobile Association wayfinding plaques throughout the first half of the twentieth century. The original model goes back to Victorian times, ca. 1880.
- Flip (2011), a western grotesk billboard face.
- Flyer (2009, techno)
- Frank Bellamy (2009, an all-capitals family based on the hand lettering of English artist, Frank Bellamy, most famous for his comic art for Eagle and TV21, and his Dr Who illustrations for Radio Times)
- Future Imperfect
- Gill New Antique (2003)
- Hapshash (2010): an all capitals font inspired by the 1960s psychedelic posters of British designers Hapshash and the Coloured Coat (Michael English and Nigel Waymouth), in particular their 1968 poster for the First International Pop Festival in Rome. A dripping paint font.
- Ivan Zemtsov (2009)
- Kato (2007, oriental simulation face)
- Keith's Hand
- Klee Print (2010, Klee Print is based on the handwriting of American artist Emma Klee)
- Latinate (2013). A vintage wedge serif wood style typeface, and a rough version.
- Lexia (an improved or "adult" version of Comic Sans) and Lexia Readable (2006).
- Modernist Stencil (2009).
- Mythica (2012). A slightly condensed lapidary roman with copperplate serifs.
- Modulario (2010): a contemporary sans.
- New Old English (2010, blackletter)
- Norton (2006)
- Nowa (2004, a play on Futura)
- NYC (octagonal)
- Openline (2008, an art deco pair)
- Oriel Chambers Liverpool: A Lombardic small caps font based on the masonry lettering on Peter Ellis's 1864 building, Oriel Chambers, on Water Street in Liverpool.
- Pentangle (2008, based on album lettering from 1967)
- PixL (2002-2004)
- Plasterboard (2004-2005)
- Pop Cubism (2010) is a set of four texture fonts, combining elements of cubism and pop art.
- Poster Sans (2006). A wood type family based on Ludlow 6 EC.
- Rick Griffin (2006, more psychedelic fonts inspired by a 1960s Californian artist)
- Roundel (2009, white on black)
- Runestone (2010, runic).
- Sans Culottes (2008, grunge)
- Solid State (2008, art deco blocks)
- Solus (2004, a revival of Eric Gill's 1929 typeface Solus which has never been digitized; read about it here)
- Stockscript (2008, down-to-earth script based on the pen lettering of the writer, Christopher Stocks)
- Susanna (2004)
- Ticketing (2011): pixelish.
- Total and Total Eclipse (2004, squarish display faces based on the four characters of Jaroslav Supek's title lettering for his 1980s mailart magazine, Total)
- Transport New (2009: a redrawing of the typeface designed for British road signs. In addition to the familiar Heavy and Medium weights, Transport New extrapolates and adds a previously unreleased Light weight font originally planned for back-lit signage but never actually applied. Originally designed by Jock Kinneir and Margaret Calvert beginning in 1957, the original Transport font has subtle eccentricities which add to its distinctiveness, and drawing the New version has involved walking a tightrope between impertinently eliminating awkwardness and maintaining idiosyncrasy.)
- Union Jack (octagonal)
- Victor Moscoso (2008, psychedelic)
- Wanda (2007, art nouveau)
- Wes Wilson (2007, psychedelic, inspired by 1960s psychedelic poster artist Wes Wilson)
- Zabars (2001): a Western face.
His free fonts are here:
- Blue Plaque (2006: a distressed font based on English heritage plaques)
- Blundell Sans (2009)
- Celtica (2007) has Celtic influences
- Dalek (2005, stone/chisel face: Dalek is a full font based on the lettering used in the Dalek Book of 1964 and in the Dalek's strip in the TV21 comic, spin-offs from the UK science fiction TV show, Doctor Who. The font has overtones of Phoenician, Greek and Runic alphabets)
- Designer Block (2006)
- Flat Pack (2006)
- Future Imperfect (2006, grunge)
- Gommogravure (2005)
- Greetings (2006), Greetings Bold (2006)
- Insecurity (2005, experimental) won an award at the 2005 FUSE type competition.
- International Times (2006, inspired by the masthead of the International Times underground newspaper of the 1960s and 1970s)
- Keep Calm (2011). Related to London Underground.
- Klee Capscript (2005: based on the handwriting and capitals drawn by artist Emma Klee (USA) for her Color Museum Mail Art invitation. The upper case is based on Emma's capitals and the lower case is freely adapted from her script)
- Lexia and Lexia Bold (2004)
- MAGraphics (2004)
- Magical Mystery Tour (2005, outlined shadow face), Magical Mystery Tour Outline Shadow (2005)
- Mailart (2004), MailartRubberstamp (2004)
- Mandatory (2004, a UK number plate font based on the Charles Wright typeface used in UK vehicle registration plates)
- Penny Lane (2014). A a sans serif derived from twentieth-century cast-iron signs displaying Liverpool street names.
- Provincial (2014). A Victorian set of outline fonts.
- Ray Johnson (2006-2008)
- Roadway (2005, based on New York roadside lettering).
- Savor (2011). An art nouveau family.
- Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club (2014).
- Sinkin Sans (2014). A large free sans family. Download.
- Soft Sans (2010)
- Subway Ticker (2005)
- This Corrosion (2005)
Custom / corporate typefaces: With Liverpool-based art director Liz Harry, Bates created a personalized font, loosely based on Coco Sumner's handwritten capitals, for the band I Blame Coco. Medium and Semibold weights of Gill New Antique were commissioned by LPK Design Agency. Stepping Hill Hospital and Bates created Dials, a pictorial font to help hospital managers input data about improvements. A custom font was designed for Bolton Strategic Economic Partnership.
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link.
View Keith Bates's typefaces. [Google]
Lorenz Lopetz Gianfreda
[burodestruct (or: Typedifferent.com)]
Love Font Vapour Trail
Japanese foundry with principally free bitmap-style truetype fonts and some techno faonts, all made in 2001: BlockBlackBitA12, BlockWhiteBitA12, CherishBitH7, CherishBitK7, ChibiBitA5, DayDreamTrainH, DayDreamTrainK, DayDreamTrain, FloppyBitA16, HappyBirthdayMoon, JungleGymBitA6, OneBitA10, PopsceneBitK9, PopTuneBitA12, PopTuneOutBitA12, PopTuneRound, RadioRadioRadioBitA10, Romantic, SavouryBitK7, ShoplifterABitA16, ShoppingBitA10, SoLongBitA15, SpreadBitA10, StadiumBitA10, StartBitA10, StetchBitA13, SugarBoy, TinyBoxBitA10, TinyBoxBlackBitA8, TinyBoxCollageBitA12, WeekBitA10. The designer is "Kaaya". [Google]
Norwegian graphic designer, born in Lillehammer in 1967, who works in Oslo. His fonts are distributed by Thirstype. He now runs Millimeter Design. He is also involved in the Norwegian design studio Melkeveien designkontor, where all his fonts can be ogled. They include:
- Pilot (1994, thirstype).
- Envy (1996).
- Telenor, designed by Magnus Rakeng&Stian Berger as part of the new corporate identity for Telenor.
- Superduper (1999-2000).
- Radio (1998), a fifties-style connected script. This is his most famous font. It was reinvented and made it to the new foundry Constellation in 2013. Always (2005) is a connected 1950's style typeface done with Stian Berger at Melkeveien. It was based on Radio.
- The 4-year old children's handwriting font Amanda4 (free).
- Radio was at the basis of later extensions, such as Quality (a custom typeface at Melkeveien done for Leo Burnett Chicago; a cooperation with Chester) and Always (2005, with Stian Berger at Melkeveien).
- Eyecon (2005, designed with Thirstype).
- With Stian Berger at Melkeveien he made Ålesund jugendstilsenter (2004, based on architect H. Schytte Berg's architectural lettering).
Codesigner, ca. 2007, with Masayuki Sato (Maniackers Design) of Detroit Type City-AL, Foood-AL, KT, Pokupoku-AL, KT, HR, Ball2-AL, Box2-AL, Button2-AL, Xtal-AL, KT, HR, Ikaho-AL, KT, MD Radiogram-KT, HR, Nepon-AL. By herself, still at Maniackers, the following fonts were designed: Ikaho-HR, TypeCantabile-KT, Kotodama-KT, Sandy-AL / 2Type, Yonimofushigina-AL, KT, Cloooud-AL, Yonimofushigina-HR, Timber-AL,KT, HR, Sunday-AL / 3Weight, Hyonnakotokara-AL, KT, HR. In 2009, Mami designed the pen scratch typeface Dandro AI. [Google]
Maniackers Design (or: MKS)
About 150 free original fonts by Masayuki Sato (from Futaba, Japan), over half of them pixel fonts. For most fonts, he has a Latin alphabet (denoted by AL) and a katakana alphabet (denoted by KT). Some also have a hiragana version (denoted by HR). All fonts were made between 1998 and 2009.
Abstractfonts link. Fontspace link. Artistic rendering of a kanji character. [Google]
- By Masayuki Sato&Tsuyoshi Nagae: Merumo-AL, KT, PonyPony-AL, KT, HR, Topo-AL, TM Extended-AL / 2Type, MinnanoUta-AL, KT, HR, Seele-AL / 2Type, Robin-AL, Peco-AL, KT, Honey-AL, Blur-AL.
- By Masayuki Sato&Eri Nagae: Stitch-AL.
- By Masayuki Sato&T. Waka: Chihuahua-AL, KT, HR / 3Type.
- By Masayuki Sato&Mami Kobayashi: Alphabet Man, Detroit Type City-AL, Foood-AL, KT, Pokupoku-AL, KT, HR, Ball2-AL, Box2-AL, Button2-AL, Xtal-AL, KT, HR, Ikaho-AL, KT, MD Radiogram-KT, HR, Nepon-AL.
- By Mami Kobayashi: Ikaho-HR, TypeCantabile-KT, Kotodama-KT, Sandy-AL / 2Type, Yonimofushigina-AL, KT, Cloooud-AL, Yonimofushigina-HR, Timber-AL,KT, HR, Sunday-AL / 3Weight, Hyonnakotokara-AL, KT, HR.
- By Eiji Sunaga: Tanrei 2.0-KT.
- By Junya Yamada (Channel 67): Drip-KT, Bobo-AL.
- By Masayuki Sato&Junya Yamada: Maniac 2-AL, KT.
- By Atsushi Moda: Angle.
- By Shinji Naka: Typobokan katakana (at least, the graphics of this comic book style font were by Shinji Naka).
- By Masakazu Fukushima: Lucha-doll mask (a fantastic mask dingbat font).
- By Atsuko Onozato: Pazool.
- By Malte Haust of Bionic Systems: DorisOrange.
- By André Nossek: Collage Rmx-AL, Hard Rmx-AL.
- By Masayuki Sato&Hiroko Takiguchi: Holiday Bitmap14-AL, Holiday Ultra-AL, KT, HR, Holiday Bold-AL, KT, HR, Holiday-AL, KT, HR, Holiday-illust, Holiday Tategaki-KT, HR, Holiday-MDJP03 / 2Byte, Holiday-MDJP02, Ribbontic 2.0-AL.
- By Masayuki Sato and Masashi Kato: Pico (2009, rounded comic book style).
- By Masashi Kato&Mayucco: Yakitori-AL, KT, HR / 2Byte.
- By Masayuki Sato&Ryo Asoda: Wallpainting-AL, Cosmic-AL, Bellows-AL, KT.
- By Masayuki Sato&Kaori Inada: Sennin-AL.
- By Masayuki Sato&Shizuka Yamazaki: SwingingBird-AL, KT, HR.
- By Masayuki Sato&Junichi Omi: Omiyage-AL, KT, HR.
- By Masayuki Sato&Rollingcradle: Poranger-AL, Lucha doll-mask.
- By Masayuki Sato&Omnikono: Gt informat-AL, KT.
- By Masayuki Sato: Donki-KT (2010), Cherry-Cherry KT (2010), 239 Schablone-AL (2010), RBIO-AL (2010), FSB08 Klang-AL (2010), 224 MKSD-AL (2010), 223 MKSD-AL (2010), 235MKSD (2009, thin octagonal), Nepon-KT, Nepon-HR, Monday-AL / 3Type, Childish-AL, KT, HR, Volt-AL, KT, HR, Gavadon Ultra-KT, Building 2-AL, KT, Gachapon 2-KT, CinemaMa-AL, KT, HR, Skinny-AL, Magatama-AL, Astro 3.0-AL, KT, 160MKSD-AL, KT, TypoBokan-KT (3DCG), Lunch-KT, HR, Partner-AL / 3Type, Pico Super Ultra Bold-AL, 096MKSD-Synapse-AL, Millennium 5lines-AL, Tekuteku Round-AL, Warp-AL, Cherry Cherry-KT, Donki-KT, 078MKSD Medium Con-AL, Poco-AL, Temporary Extra-AL, 071MKSD Medium-AL, KT, 071MKSD Bold-AL, KT, Paco-AL, Collage-AL, Zerozero Nine-AL, KT, HR, Finger Five-AL, Electronica Nine-AL, Drifter Five-AL, Ultra Seven-AL / 3Type, Thaitype Ten-Thai, AL, KT, Gogo Five 2.0-AL, System Seven-AL / 7Type, 201MKSD-AL / 4Type, Fluorescent-AL / 2Type, FSB07 Astra-AL, KT, HR / 4Type, Nihonbashi 2.0-AL, KT, 176MKSD-AL, Continue-AL, Spaghettini-AL / 3Type, Pinponpan2, 3, 4-HR / 3Type, Pico-AL / 2Type, Kokecco2-KT, Charakyoro-AL, Coppepan-AL, KT, HR, Sardinen-KT, HR, Hachipochi Eight-AL, KT, Janis Heavy-AL, Futaba-KT, April Fool-AL, KT, HR, Arawasu-KT, Airline-AL, KT, HR, Astro 2.0-KT, Snail-AL, KT, Akachan-AL, KT, HR (Flop Design), Dorisorange-AL, KT (T26), Parade20-AL, KT, UFOnt-51silhouette, Rabbit35-silhouette, Dog30-Silhouette, Coil-AL, KT / 3Type, Frankfurter Custum Black-AL, COLOR-AL, Fivemani-AL, KT, Astroro-AL, KT, Puco-AL, 184MKSD Omnibus-AL, Alfadental-AL, FSB08 Klang-AL, KT / 3Type, TDA140607-AL, Shotaro V3-AL, KT, Colopocle-AL, KT, Melt-AL / 3Type, Tekuteku-AL, Crayon-AL, Digits-AL, Performar-AL, Pinponpan-HR, Airplane 2.0-AL, KT, Button-AL, Ball-AL, Box-AL, OLD CUBE-AL, Elekitel-HR, Retroket-AL, MKS Dot-AL, RikuKaiKu-Illust, Angle-AL, FontRemix 02 (36-kanji dingbat font). Font Pavilion sells these fonts: Building, Gavadon (kata), Volt (romaji, kata), Colopocle (katakana, romaji), Shotaro (katakana, romaji). Typo Bokan, Sennin, Snail. At Digitalogue, he published the screen font series Zerozero in 2000.
[Mark Simonson Studio]
Mark Simonson Studio
Mark Simonson Studio is located in StPaul, MN. Mark founded Mark Simonson Studio around 2000, and describes himself as a freelance graphoc designer and type designer. From his CV: Early in my career I worked mainly as an art director on a number of magazines and other publications including Metropolis (a Minneapolis weekly, 1977), TWA Ambassador (an inflight magazine, 1979-81), Machete (a Minneapolis broadsheet, 1978-80), Minnesota Monthly (Minnesota Public Radio's regional magazine, 1979-85), and the Utne Reader (1984-88). I was head designer and art director for Minnesota Public Radio (1981-85) and an art director for its sister company, Rivertown Trading Company (1992-2000). During that time, I designed over 200 audio packages, including most of Garrison Keillor's, along with several hundred products (t-shirts, mugs, rugs, watches, etc.) for the Wireless, Signals, and other mail order catalogs. I have frequently done lettering as part of design projects I'm working on. This has always been my favorite part, so in 2000 I opened my own shop specializing in lettering, typography and identity design. I've also been interested in type design since my college days. I started licensing fonts to FontHaus in 1992, and since starting my new business, stepped up my efforts in developing original typefaces. I now have more than 70 fonts on the market with many more to come. This is increasingly becoming the focus of my activities. His fonts:
- Coquette (2001). He says: Coquette could be the result of a happy marriage of Kabel and French Script.
- Kandal: a 1994 wedge serif, now also at MyFonts).
- Proxima Sans (1994, a geometric sans, rereleased in 2004), followed in 2005 by his massively successful Proxima Nova in 42 styles/weights. Followed by Proxima Nova Soft (2011). Poster by Dreher Gerrit.
- Mostra (2001): based on a style of lettering often seen on Italian Art Deco posters and advertising of the 1930s. Look at the Light and Black versions, and drool...... The 2009 update is called Mostra Nuova. Selected styles: Mostra Nuovo Bold, Mostra One Light, Mostra Three Bold, Mostra Two Heavy.
- In 2001, he made the Mac font Anonymous. Its updated version is Anonymous Pro (2009-2010), a TrueType version of Anonymous 9, which was a freeware bitmap font developed in the mid-90s by Susan Lesch and David Lamkins. It was designed as a more legible alternative to Monaco, the mono-spaced Macintosh system font.
- In 1998 and 2001, he produced the (free) 3-style Atari Classic family.
- In 2003, he released Blakely Bold and Heavy (an art deco font first done for the Signals mail order catalog). The original Blakely is from 2000.
- Goldenbook Light, Regular, and Heavy, based on the logotype of the 1920s literary mag called "The Golden Book Magazine".
- Metallophile Sp 8 Light and Light Italic: a "faithful facsimile of an 8-point sans as set on a 1940s-vintage hot metal typesetting machine".
- Refrigerator Light and Heavy, Refrigerator and its extension Refrigerator Deluxe (2009) (geometric sans).
- Changeling Light, Regular, Bold, Stencil, and Inline (2003): a redesign and expansion of China, a VGC photo-typositor typeface from 1975 by M. Mitchell, which includes unicase faces; see also Changeling Neo, 2009.
- Sanctuary Regular and Bold: a computerish typeface based on lettering in the 1976 movie Logan's run--later withdrawn from the market.
- Sharktooth (+Bold, +Heavy).
- Felt Tip Roman, Woman and Senior (based on his own handwriting). Felt Tip Senior (2000) is based on the hand of Mark's father. Felt Tip Woman Regular and Bold are based on the handwriting of designer Patricia Thompson.
- Filmotype Gay (2011).
- Filmotype Honey (2010): fifties brush lettering face. For a free alternative, see Honey Script (2000) by Dieter Steffmann.
- Raster Gothic Condensed Regular and Bold (12 fonts total), and Raster Bank (a pixelized version of Bank Gothic).
- Other free bitmap fonts for the Mac [the PC version was made by CybaPee]. MyFonts page.
- He digitized Phil Martin's family, Grad (2004, inspired by Century Schoolbook, and originally done by Martin in 1990).
- His 2006 production includes three script faces: Kinescope is a connected script based on title lettering in Fleischer Studios' animated Superman films from the 1940s. Snicker is a cartoony block letter type. Both were published at Font Bros. And Launderette is a connected very slanted script based closely on lettering used in the titles of the 1944 Otto Preminger film, Laura.
- In 2007, he revived and extended Filmotype Glenlake (2007, sold at Font Bros).
- Lakeside (2008) is a flowing 1940s-style brush script. It was inspired by hand-lettered titles in the classic 1944 film noir movie Laura.
- In 2008, he revived Filmotype Zanzibar, about which he writes: That Zanzibar is nearly an anagram of bizarre seems fitting. The surviving people from Filmotype (later Alphatype) have not been able to tell us who designed this gem, so we have no record of the designers intentions. Released in the early 1950s, it seems somewhat inspired by the work of Lucian Bernhard (Bernhard Tango, 1934) and Imre Reiner (Stradivarius, 1945). At first, it appears to be a formal script, but there are no connecting strokes. It would be better described as a stylized italic, similar to Bodoni Condensed Italic or Onyx Italic, with swash capitals.
- Filmotype Vanity (2008) is an outline typeface based on a 1955 design by Filmotype. It was derived from Filmotype Ginger.
- Filmotype Alice (2008) is casual handwriting. However, MyFonts now credits Patrick Griffin with the digitization.
- Filmotype MacBeth (2008) is a freestyle face.
- Filmotype Ginger (2008) is a heavy display typeface with an aftertaste of Futura.
- Boxy2 (2008) and Boxy1 (2008) are severely octagonal faces made to test out FontStruct. See also bubblewrap.
- In 2008, Mark Solsburg and Mark Simonson cooperated on the digital revival of the calligraphic Diane Script, originally designed in 1956 by Roger Excoffon.
- In 2009, Mark worked on SketchFlow Print, a font for Microsoft. It will be bundled with the next version of Christian Schormann's Expression Blend, part of Microsoft's Expression Studio suite. The fonts, based upon the handwriting of architect Michaela Mahady of SALA Architects, Inc., give that well-known architectural printing look (like Tekton).
- Filmotype Gem (2011). A sans headline typeface that was first drawn by Filmotype in the 1950s.
- Bookmania (2011) is a revival of Bookman Oldstyle (1901) and the Bookmans of the 1960s, but with all the features you would expect in a modern digital font family. Especially, Simonson's Bookmania story is worth reading.
FontShop link. Fontspace link. MyFonts interview.
View all typefaces designed by Mark Simonson. [Google]
[Maniackers Design (or: MKS)]
[Page42 Type Foundry]
Design studio in Philadelphia, PA. Among other things, they are selling some fonts via Creative Market: Sketch-It, Monsters, Listicons, Jamie's Hand, On Air (radio font, +Inline), Asche. The fonts are made ca. 2012. [Google]
Norwegian design studio. They made the logotype Generator Group / Canal Digital (2003), the stencil typeface Nasjonale festningsverk (2004), Think (2008, an organic visual identity typeface done with Stian Berger and Melkeveien), Always (2005, a connected 1950's style face, designers Magnus Rakeng and Stian Berger; based on Rakeng's very popular earlier typeface Radio) and the Jugendstil style typeface Ålesund jugendstilsenter (2004, designers Magnus Rakeng and Stian Berger: based on architect H. Schytte Berg's architectural lettering), Eyecon (Magnus Rakeng), Telenor (a family of five for Telenor), some typefaces for Statoil [samples: i, ii, iii], I am Totally Sonja Henie (for Henie Onstad Kunstsenter), Superduper (by Magnus Rakeng, a comic book style typeface sold by Village), Quality (another connected script based on Radio, this time produced by Magnus Rakeng and Chester, from Village Type). An example can be seen here. In 2010, they designed Statoil, a display sans family. [Google]
Nick Curtis (b. Chicago, 1948) lived in Texas from 1952-1997, and lives since 1997 in Gaithersburg, MD and Alexandria, MD. From ca. 1990 onwards, he has been designing fonts, first for free, and then commercially. He had a great reputation as a "revivalist" type designer, with a particular interest in retro fonts and art deco types. In 2003, his site had become too popular and too expensive to maintain, and thus he went commercial as Nick's Fonts. In 2013, he stopped making fonts, and donated his collection of rare books and type material to the University of Virginia. Interview. Free downloads at TypOasis. Complete list of names and other info, maintained by Sander de Voogt. Interview in which we learn about his fondness for Corel Draw as a type design tool.
Near the end of 2012, he posted this comment on his web site: Fifteen years ago, I embarked on a wonderful voyage of discovery, when I created my very first font with Fontographer 3.15. My maiden voyages were, frankly, rather clunky and amateurish, but I have been told that they showed promise. Well, sure enough, thanks to the diligent (and patient) efforts of Ilene Strizver, I polished up my craft enough to sell my humble efforts---first as a sideline business and, since 2006, as my full-time job. In total, I have produced over eleven hundred fonts---almost five hundred of them freeware fonts, which I conservatively estimate have been downloaded and enjoyed by over three million people worldwide. Unfortunately, this past year has brought a series of unanticipated setbacks, culminating in the loss of my wife's beautiful mind and soul to the scourge of alcoholism. In an effort to generate extra income to cover the expenses for her long-term care, I have proposed a number of, I believe, innovative ways to revamp the online font business; unfortunately, those efforts have fallen flat, primarily due to the professional font community's abject fear of crossing the $165 million Elephant in the Room. I even offered a special discount rate of 75% off retail price for full-time students of Typohile Forum. To date, there have been zero takers. Hell: even the webfont kit of one of my own fonts which I purchased from myfonts.com turned out to be an empty folder. Talk about a run of bad luck. Which leaves my with you, dear readers. If you or someone you know has had fun or made a buck from my humble efforts throughout the years, please donate whatever you can---even a lousy dollar would help---to help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.
Home page. Dafont link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. Abstract Fonts link.
View the typefaces designed by Nick Curtis. [Google]
[Art deco faces by Nick Curtis: I]
[Nick Curtis: Commercial faces]
Nick Curtis: Commercial faces
Nick Curtis (b. Chicago, 1948) lived in Texas from 1952-1997. Since 1997, he is in Gaithersburg, MD and Alexandria, MD. Since the 1990s, he has been designing fonts, first for free, and then commercially. He had a great reputation as a "revivalist" type designer, with a particular interest in retro fonts and art deco types. In 2003, his site had become too popular and too expensive to maintain, and thus he went commercial as Nick's Fonts. Interview. Free downloads at TypOasis. Complete list of names and other info, maintained by Sander de Voogt. Interview in which we learn about his fondness for Corel Draw as a type design tool. Home page. His free fonts are listed elsewhere.
On MyFonts, he says this about himself: Nick's Fonts is a modest little foundry dedicated to the preservation of our rich typographic heritage. Most of the foundry's designs are based on authentic historical sources, gleaned from the massive collections of the Library of Congress. If you are looking for a font that captures the essence of the Wild West, the Gay Nineties or the Jazz Age, look here first: if it is not in the catalog, it will be soon. [Google]
Page42 Type Foundry
Czech type, graphic and visual design studio run by Matej Syxra (b. 1980) in Prague. Creators of Flatform (2008, slab serif), TripSans (2008: exclusively licensed to Radio 1 for their new corporate identity designed by Klára Nemravová), Wosk Blur (2009), Strobe (2009, modern sans), Ween (2009), and Vitamin (2006, exclusively licensed for LIPOXAL medical products). At Dafont, one can download Flatform and the TripSerif CE family (2008, done with Jan Moravec). Aka Matej Sychra. [Google]
P-Font Dispenser (was: Yuji-3001)
Free original fonts by Yuji Adachi: Nice Age, Arcade (pixel font family that includes a horizontally-striped style, 1998), Bop Gun, No Problem, Dymos, One Nation, Atari 80, Bad Matrix and Lavalite, Dimension (kids' orthographic font, 1999), UHF (baseball shirt lettering, 1999), LogoSystem (1998), Bangalore (Stephen Coles says that this is still the world's best small pixel script), Radio Dept, Ole Segments, Code3X (barcode font, 1999), Neo Dymos, Major Kong (handprinting, 1999), Ohio Player.
Font Pavilion sells his Dymos (katakana), One Nation, Bop Gun, Logo System.
In Digitalogue's DPI72 package, he published the screen pixel fonts CODE14X (1999), DryBones7 (1999), Tempo9 (1999). Promised fonts: Wax, Problems, Bad Matrix, Atari80, Neo Dymos, No Problem, Ole Segments.
Fontspace link. Dafont link. [Google]
The Great Dane from Copenhagen, the king of grunge, Jakob Fischer, is a kindergarten teacher who designed over 500 fonts. Mini-catalog, part I, part II. Aka PizzaDude, he started out making free fonts, but switched to commercial fonts later. His typefaces:
Direct downloads. In 2004, he started selling some typefaces through Union Fonts. MyFonts link. Home page. Fontsquirrel link. Fontspring link. Dafont link. .
- Typefaces from 2014: Nothing So Childish, Tied To A Stick, Reminders (an interlocking retro futuristic font), Like A Cat (sketched 3d poster typeface), Today We Escape, Quiet Night (brush face), Love From Me, Love From You, Love From Us, Burph, HundredYears (comic book style font), Shake Hands (sketched font), Laughing at you, Unseen Shores (tattoo font).
- In 2013, he published these commercial fonts: Coin Slot (grainy poster font), Swallow Money, Instant Soup, Inked Lights, Kiss Me Dead (grungy serif face), Show No Shame (comic book font), Imperious, Find A Way, City by the Lake, Breathtaking Beauty, Almost Lovely, Maybe I Was Joking, You Could Be Right, Keep Writing Letters, Words You Lost, Urgency Of Now, Believe In Me, Talk To Me, Summer Fades Away, Piece Of Youth, Not A Chance, Never Fade.
- In 2012: Mixed Up.
- In 2011: Bumbastika (poster face), Blowout (rounded signage face), Hangout (grunge), Regreat (comic book typeface with square counters).
- In 2010: Shuffle Steps (a sketched face), Shakeout (comic book face), Atrofobia, Splurx, Klumpft (grunge), No Consequence, Poilet Paper, Universal Fruitcake, Vitamin, Year Supply of Fairy Cakes, Yesterdays Meal (brush face), Undercover (bilined), Streetwise, Jilly Bean (art deco, hand-printed), Zanoix, Amfost (comic book face), Funky Mother (a curly face), Chicken Salad (comic book face), Retroxoid, Quirky, Mono Exolia, Mono Neox, Mono Litrox, Mono Hexular, Mono Orxith, Mono Iltra, Mono Chix, Gumbutcha (cartoon face), Ghenilo, Firewerk, Family Bird, Bodywerk (a grungy constructivist face), Wagerton (grunge), Strawn (signage face), Drunken Tower (ransom note face; + Drunken Shower), Elogy, Olazy, Hoakey, Nipey, Laxory, Iquory, Chorxy.
- In 2009: Funkboy, Nusqie, Junkwerk, Geekabeat, Flicka (a bouncy comic book face), Sir Render, Imperial Quortex, Jourba, Kurph (round children's script), Ginky, Stereoxoid, Earthwerk, Gibarish, Insiano, Unsprit, Whacker, Natuxal, Battlexoid, Change, Chusp, Aspektogram, Axteroid, Floink.
- In 2008: Everything (comic book), Superxoid (white on black grunge), Eyeful (comic book style), Punctured Bicycle (grunge), Spleach, Sir Spicious, Mirla, Skramp, Jilkyway, Fristy, Sqweash, Aprilfuel, Intense Eve, Drunken Shower, Dandygal, Alien Segment, Endorfinia, Runaway, Scentogram, Typewrither, Ultraxoid (grunge), Legoix (a nice scrapbook pencil font), Heruina (connected hand).
- In 2007: Indoxine (an informal horizontally-striped outline font, one of his best creations), Infilto (sketchbook face), Murbia (printed hand), Orange Gush, Epsiolet (blackboard script), Grut Stuph (comic book), Orange Gush (curly hand), Drunken Hour (ransom note face), Flixuble, Butterfool, Whexjable (paper bag cutouts), Flabioga (grunge), Flambster, Axionhero, Skratzy, Ulsteros, Craptoy, Megaxoid, Nine Thousand, Retrozoid.
- In 2006: Ultinoid, Sabtine (nice curly hand), Sadnez, Happyjamas, Fudshake, Diskojuice, Damaged Guts, Zugarbody, Popfork, Hyperspit, Junktoy, Melonheads, Mister Dorky.
- In 2005: Party Noid, Doktor Terror, Fligerish (romantic retro lettering face), Tomoli2, Teaster (Easter egg dings), Ankertill Brewer, Omibez, Tomoli, Family Dog (comic book face), Vegacute (retro lettering).
- In 2004: Jerky Tash, Hopeless Heart, Sure Shot, Chawsy, Hefty Galloon, Phatburner, Imazeng (Asian imitation), Zir Gera, Glammer Girl (T-26), Japperneese (oriental imitation font), Marmelade Guys, Tagboy, Malonia Voigo, Raskal, Kickshaw.
- In 2003: Abdominal Krunch, Mucho Macho, Just A Dream, Tagboyhardcore (graffiti font), Omegalomania, Cheeky Git, Chenilo (a grunge poster face), Bigbrain, Pizzabot, Schoolbully, Rapjack, Slammertag, Hlytus, Hold Your Breath, Bigmouth, Stumbeleina, Slowmotion Girl, Omegalomania, Bigbrain, Zitkid, Mr Fahrenheit Go, Atomic Clock Radio (dot matrix font), Kitchen Police, Arcade Classic, Digital Dream, Arsenique, Lie Detector, Spamsucker, Ghostboy, Funkheads, Slime Tag, TagStar Hardcore, Diet Riot, Elevator Boy (Chank), Flim (22-style family), Lemon Lies.
- In 2002: Fearless, Good Foot, Idolwild, Ruinik, AngerIsAGift, Insane Hours, MuchTooLoud, Abduction2002, You are what you eat, Yggdrasil, Easily Amused, Toxic Waist, Words of Love, Yesterdays Meal, Dope Jam, Famous Fromage, Geek A Byte, Vinyl Repair Kit, Bring Tha Noize 2, Fancy Footwork 2, Fandango (a comic book font), Quit Smoking, Japan Knees (2002, an oriental LED simulation font at Chank's), Secret Handshake, Eternal Life, Insektogram, Krooked Teeth, Super Glue, Love Bug (a Valentine's font).
- Other earlier or undated fonts: Grand Stylus, jiggery pokery, Monafont (a font with hearts), Fancy Footwork, Grouser, Not Just A Toy, Orangutan, VeryBadPosture, Treasure, Tantrum Tongue, HangTheDJ, MonsterFreak, MouthfulOfBeer, WarmMilk, WideAwake (techno), Wisecrack, DT104, Quickometer, Cirkledingz, HarshLanguage, Vanish, GluttonMan, Radiohead, Radioland (LED face), Eat Your Heart Out (kitchen tile font), Exit Font, In The Arms Of Sleep, Popcorn Not Included, Flashboy, Kill Your Darlings, Nonfiction, Gringo Nights (eroded Western font; almost Mexican), Push, Grunt Reaper, Ultrasonik, As Seen On TV, More Than Human, Raveheart, 10Minutes, 20000dollarbail, 4mylover (Valentine's day lettering font), Abduction, Acquaintance, AgentOrange, Anodetonoone, Anticlimax, Arcade, ArcadeClassic, Autobahn, Backto1982, Ballsontherampage, Bedbug, BeyondControl, BeyondControlvolume2, BionicKidSimple, BionicKidSimpleSlanted, BionicKidSlanted3d, Biteme, Blackboysonmopeds, Blaster, Blatant, BlindMelon, Blindfold, Blobs, Bluelines, BrokenToys, Brushed, Brutality, BrutalityExtra, BubbleBath, Bubbleboy, Bubblegums, Bumbastika, Burlesque, Chinese Takeaway (oriental simulation), ComputerAmok, Creamandsugar, Crosspatchersdelight, Crosspatchersdelightnormal, Curmudgeonly, Delirium, Desperation, Digitek, Diskoteque, Dreammachine, Dreamofme, Earthquake, Embroidery, Exoneration, Extravirgin, EyeOnlyHaveEyesForYou, Fadetogrey, FakePlastic, FatBoySmiles, Fazingsone, Firestarter, FlakJacket, Flaphead, Flashback, Flashbackversion3, Flashit, Foot Fight (2003), FreaksofNature, FunkyStoneage, Funnyfarmhard, Funnyfarmsoft, Futurism, Guineapigs, Gasoline, Ghostwriter, Glamour Girl, Greaseballs, GreatVengeance, Greenhousegas, Guineapigs, Hangover, Highspeed, Holiday, Homeboysarebackintown, Humanoid, Humanoidstraight, Innocentbystander, Imperfectfont, InnerSanctum, InternationalPlayboy, Invasion2000, IronMan, JointbyPizzaDude, JamesBond, JellyBelly, JointbyPizzaDude, JoyCards, JuneBug (fat comic book face), JustAnotherFont, Kometenmelodie2, Kitchenpolice (techno/futuristic), Klytus, Kleptomaniac, Knucklesandwich, KometenMelodie1, Kookaburra, Lazerbeamsurprise, Liquidism (dripping blood), Liquidismpart2, Logiclodger, LotsOfDotz, LoveLetters, MassiveHeadache, MunsterBash, Mutant, Mute Fruit (stencil font), Madscientist, Madscientist, Malapropism, MammaGamma, MassiveHeadache3, MassiveHeadacheII, MaximumSecurity (horizontally striped), Miserable, Mixedup, MotorcycleEmptiness, MunsterBash, Naghead (2004), NeverSayDie, Nonstop, Nonstopitalic, Nugacity, Nyctalopia, Nyctalopiatilt, Obliviousfont, Onceinawhile, Operatinginstructions (glyphs with writing direction arrows), Opium, Oxygene1, PartyBalloons, Piracy, PizzaDudeFatOutline, PizzaDudesHandwriting, PlanetDust, Plastique, PrivateInvestigations, Protection, Pusher, Questionoftime, Questionoftimesimple, Quicksilver, QuotedPositivity, RepeatUntilFalse, Retaliator, Radioaktivitet, RainyDays, RepeatUntilFalse, Retaliator, Robotica, RoboticaAllCaps, Rocketman, Rubberneck, Sk8ordye, Slammertag (2003), Scratchmyback, Shakethatbooty, Shopliftersunite, SkaterDudes, SoftSugarfade, SoftSugarplain, SomewhereInSpace, Spaceboy, SpeedCrazy, SqueezeMeBaby, StickAroundForJoy, StrangePhenomenaNormal, StrangePhenomenaOutlined, Sweetascandy, SyntheticSyncronism, TagsXtreme, TagsXtreme2, TastelessCandy, Teenageangst, Timebomb, Toforgive, Transistor215, Typewriterfromhell, Ultimatum, Underattack, Underattackskew, Undercover, UnfinishedSympathy, UnfinishedSympathy2, Us, Venusflytrapthebug, VeryChristmess (2003), Videophreak, Vitamin, Vitaminoutlined, VulgarDisplayOfPower, WakingtheWitch, WishfulWaves, Wreckage, Xtraordinary, Youngatheart, Youthquake, Zitcream, Zenith2000, ElectricBoots, Jealousy, Noodlesoup, PizzaDudePointers, PizzaDudeStars, Waybeyondblue, XrayTed, XrayTedskew, ZingDing, DigitalDream (2003, LED simulation), PizzaDuide Bullets, Bubbleboy 2, Endeavour Forever, Konspiracy Theory, Krazy Nights (hand-printed).
View Jakob Fischer's typefaces. View Pizzadude's typefaces. [Google]
Presidential Election Fonts 2008
Sam Berlow (Font Bureau) is interviewed on New York Public Radio (WNYC radio) about the candidates' fonts. On the same topic, he also published a piece in the Boston Globe. Quotes:
- Bush&Cheney in 2004: It had that incredible NASCAR feel with that slanted sans serif saying "We are going really fast, hang on".
- Obama [who uses Gotham for headlines]: It's classy, very metrosexual. If it were a suit, it would be Armani.
- Hillary Clinton [who uses a modified Baskerville]: It's a high-wasted serif from the 70s, the pants pulled up too high. It feels like a bad Talbot suit, it does not quite feel right.
- McCain: [About his logo] The star with the yellow bars clearly says he is a general.
- Huckabee: About a way to improve on Huckabee's cluttered and confusing look, Sam muses If it didn't look like a Daytona 500 car, that would be a good start.
Production First Software
[John M. Fiscella]
Production First Software offers original, revival and historic designs and specializing in non-latin scripts including Armenian, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, Thai, mathematical symbols and pi characters. It is run by John M. Fiscella in San Francisco since 1990, with most typefaces created immediately after that. John M. Fiscella designed the fonts for symbols and many of the alphabetic scripts for the unicode charts and all typefaces complky with unicode standards. Type glossary. List of typefaces: BernalPF, Blck2LineGothicPF Logo, Blck3LineGothicPF Logo, Blck4LineGothicPF Logo, CourPF, CourPF Bold, CourPF BoldOblique, CourPF Oblique, EdwardianMansePFTitling, EriePF, EuroPF-Bold, EuroPF-BoldOblique, FiftiesPopPF, GrandVictorianPFTitling, HlvPF Bold, HlvPF BoldOblique, HlvPF Medium, HlvPF Oblique, ItalianatePF, ItalianateMulticolor1PF, ItalianateMulticolor2PF, ItalianateMulticolor3PF, ItalianateSansPF, LafayettePF, LosPFBold, MisionPFAntique, MisionPFBold, MisionPFBook, MisionPFBookMetal, MisionPFLight, MisionPFTitling, PalouPFTitling, PiazzaPFScript, RadioPF, RadioCityPF, SymbolPF Bold, SymbolPF BoldItalic, SymbolPF Italic, TexMexPF, TmsPF Bold, TmsPF BoldItalic, TmsPF Cursive, TmsPF Italic, TmsPF Rom +, TmsMathPF Cursive, TmsHebWidePF Rom, UnvPF Bold, UnvPF BoldOblique, UnvPF Oblique, UnvPF Medium, UviewPF Bold, UviewPF BoldOblique, UviewPF Oblique, UviewPF Medium, ZenonPFTitling. [Google]
RGB is Radio Galibasel. The site carried DIE GUTE FUER ALLE font collection by Fidel Peugeot (Vienna), Karl Rottweiler (Basel), Peggy Boon, Robi Watt, Hermine Demoriane, Quentin Magnus, Christian Anders, Betti Sauter, Feit F. Stauffer, Nadja Z, Cosima v. Gestern and the RGB107,6 crew (Vienna-based outfit): nice handwriting fonts for general use. It seemed like it was a free collection, but the download page was not operational. All this is moot now, as the original font site disappeared.
The list of typefaces: Omen (Karl Rottweiler) is great, Gabel (by Fidel Peugeot) is a grunge font, Stukkie (by Peggy Boon) is normal handwriting, Ling (by Fidel Peugeot) is curly handwriting, Cuisinette (by Hermine Demoriane) is childish handwriting, Kanguruh (by Robi Watt) is hurried, HerrKlee (by Fidel Peugeot) is for graffiti, Mokka (by Fidel Peugeot) is for 8-year olds, the Waldmeister family (by Veit F. Stauffer) is for writing with chalk on trees, Sticker (by Christian Anders) is a disaster, Quentin Magnus der Wilde (by Fidel Peugeot) is so-so, Pirona (by Babette) is open and inviting hand-titling, BettisHand (by Betti Sauter) and Dr. R (by Dr. R) are regular handwriting fonts, Erdbeere (by Cosima von Gestern) is a doodling food-based dingbat font, Nadja's Trolle is so-so, and Trompete is Fidel Peugeot's Trumpet dingbat font. [Google]
[Fundicion Tipografica Richard Gans]
[wa2ise TTF fonts]
RUSH Font Project
From the web site: The Rush Font Project is a collaboration between Rush fans who have pooled their resources to compile a library of all available fonts used in the album art of Rush. [...] The Rush Font Project is a collaboration between Eric Hansen, Hank Niemczyk and Sami Mandelbaum, whose assistance in creating the Rush fonts has been invaluable. Special thanks to Dave Ward, creator of the "Hemispheres" font. The fonts, mostly dated 2005-2006: AShowofHands, Anatomy, AnatomyFill, AnatomyGuides (a Codex-style typeface), AnatomyGuides, AnatomyOutline, AnatomyOutline, Bravado, CaressofSteel, Chronicles, Counterparts-Italic, Counterparts, DerTrommler-Regular, Dreamline, Exit...StageLeft-Bold, Exit...StageLeft-BoldItalic, Exit...StageLeft-Italic, Exit...StageLeft, FarewellToKings, FeedBack (Arnold Boecklin ripoff?), FlyByNight, GhostRider, GraceUnderPressure, GrandDesigns, GrandDesignsLined, Hemispheres, HoldYourFire, HoldYourFireBlack, JacobsLadder, Kofia, Limbo-Italic, MaskedRider, MomosDanceParty, MovingPictures, MyFavoriteHeadache, OBaterista, OneLittleVictory, PermanentWaves (the text says that this is a Stu's diner font from 1999), PoweWindows, Presto, R30, Replay-Bold, Replay-Regular, RoadShow, RollTheBones-Bold, RollTheBones, Signals, Snakes&Arrows-Bold, Snakes&Arrows, Snakes&ArrowsLight, SpiritofRadio, Strangiato, SummertimeBlues, Syrinx, TestForEcho-Italic, TestForEcho, VaporTrail, Victor, WorkInProgress-Bold, WorkInProgress-BoldItalic, WorkInProgress-Italic, WorkInProgress, WorkInProgressSwash-RomanItalic, WorkingMan. Mandelbaum made Chronicles and FlyByNight. Unclear who "made" the other fonts. I say "made", because this sure looks like an exercise in renaming commercial fonts. [Google]
[Presidential Election Fonts 2008]
[RUSH Font Project]
Norwegian co-designer with Magnus Rakeng at Millimeter Design of Telenor (2001, sans) for the new corporate identity for Telenor. Still with Rakeng, but now at Melkeveien designkontor, he cocreated Always (2005, a connected 1950's style face, based on Rakeng's very popular earlier typeface Radio) and the Jugendstil style typeface Ålesund jugendstilsenter (2004, based on architect H. Schytte Berg's architectural lettering). [Google]
wa2ise TTF fonts
TrueType fonts designed by Robert Casey, typically characters surrounded by something such as cat faces, Saturn, an old radio, an egg or a comet. Also a vacuum tube font. And now a Christmas tree font, a Morse font and an Easter Egg font. [Google]
Walter Dorwin Teague
W.D. Teague was a designer of some beautiful border ornaments at ATF in the early part of the 20th century. Later he became an industrial designer, famous for art deco designs of radios and gas stations. [Google]
Designer (aka Funk King, b. Fort Knox, KY) who lives in Orlando, FL, and/or Apopka, FL. He used FontStruct in 2008-2009 to make over 550 decorative fonts, and became one of the world's top experts on FontStruct, FontShop's on-line font editor. Most of his fonts were withdrawn in 2012. He did a few commercial typefaces at his commercial foundry, Funk King. His creations include
- A Bit Eccentric.
- Alphadings: Picnic Basket (2014), Rat Race (2014), Pod Invasion (2014), On Hangers (2012, a commercial series that includes Pants on Hangers, etc), Dog Tag, Black Bird, Easter Egg Dots, Ser Egghead T. handlebar, Ovoidotta (now called Sniff), Play Book, BuddhaBuddha, Swizzle Sticks, Computer Backplate, Milky Way, Sprout, Football, Clapboard (for movie makers), Teed Off, Book Stack, Speaker Box, Ant Farm, Sound and Vision, Speaker Grill, Tom Tom, Caged Type, Conga Lounge, Spinal, Add Van, Frostruct, Picket Fence, Regatta, Cranestruct, Impossible Alphabet, Igloo Village, Mortar Board, Jack, Marionette, Golden Gate (+Short, +Solid), Crossed, Eff U ("the finger"!), Tall Big Top, Jackpot, Skulls&Cross Bones Redux, Crosshairs, Drama Club, Good Day Sunshine, Butterfly, Steps and Windows, Heartbroken, O Christmas Tree, Christmas Lights, Candle, Supper Time (alphadings of plates), Sands of Time (alphadings of hour glasses), Fishbones (commercial since 2012), Handy (alphading with hands), Hang Ten (feet alphadings) and High Five (hand alphadings), Armade and Ghost Ship Armada (ship alphadings), Cut Here (stitching alphadings), Schematic (electric circuit alphading), Masquerade, Mortar Board, Gear Bits, Gearswork, Hi-Lo Gears, Gears, Resistor, Gear Shift, Castle, Castle with Flags, Antique Keys, Rounded Keys, Pods, Piano Keys (+Alt, +Correct), Framework, Dixieland Jazz, Spats, and City of New Orleans (the last three are alphdings based on the same Victorian alphabet), Saturn, Piggy Bank, Voodoo Doll, Dice, Fist Bump.
- Antennas, Antennas Outline
- Arcostellati, Arcostellato, Arcangolo, Arcontorno (2011): a blackletter family.
- Architect, Ruled, Gridworks, Blueprint (Solid, Dashed), Quadular (+Serif), Isometric Modified (+Light, +Bold Outline), Isometric (a 3d gridded family: +Basic Latin, +Basic Latin Lite, +More Latin, +Bold, +Black).
- Art deco: Arc Neuvo (rounded letters), Arc Nuevo (2012, commercial), Toneelschuur (based on the letterhead created for the Theatre Toneelschuur Haarlem), Shift (bold), Eye Spy (this says Peter Sellers), Mod Squad.
- Avenue, Avenue Alphabet (white on black).
- Ball and Chain (neat), Ball Bearings
- Balls and Bats
- Banjo (2012).
- Barber Shop
- Beachwear (horizontally striped)
- Blackletter: Abbey
- Blanket Serif Caps, Blanket Sans Serif
- Block Inline Block
- Block Mosaic (great gridded letters)
- Blood Sweat&Tears
- Bolla Fratturato (2011): outlined blackletter face.
- Bolt, Bolted
- Bon Mots.
- Break, Balance Beam, After Party (2010).
- Bubble Zwrap (2010).
- Build A Bridge
- Buzz Kill
- Carp Black, Carp Blanc
- Caterpillar, Tall Caterpillar.
- Chain Gang, Krazy King
- Check Mate (checkered flag font).
- Cherry Bomb.
- Cinder Block (2010): a 3d typeface with texture thrown in.
- Circuit Board Solid, Circuit Board Outline, Circuit Board Outline Numbers, Circuit Board Simple, Micro Clean, Microcircuitz, Circuit Board Simple, Schematode (2013).
- Circus Maximus Outline
- Cirquela (2012). a non-FontStruct font, this is his first hand-printed typeface.
- Code Hijack (2014).
- Compass (+Plain)
- Connected scripts: Cruise, Jet Cruise (2009), Notched Script (upright, connected), Rough Script (italic, connected), square Script (pixelish, connected).
- Computer Backplate, Milky Way.
- Crimped Pincushion (2010).
- Crispy Inline (classy)
- Crooked Marker, Marker
- Crop Circles
- Curls And Twirls
- Cut Here
- Daisies (nice rounded square letters with painted daisies)
- Decoscriptic, Decoish.
- Diamonds Are Forever, Liberty (dot amtrix fonts)
- Didactic fonts: Back to School.
- Digital, Digital Whimsy (gorgeous fonts in which the meat of the glyphs is made up of 0's and 1's), Digital Italics, Digital Non-italics.
- Dingbats: Digital Biz Bitz (2012), Capitalist Pictograms (2012), Kapitalist Kit (2011), Weather System (2011), Twelve Days of Christmas (2010), Learning For Business (2010), Calder Symbols (2010), Mad Aliens (2010), FSEmoticons, Maven Pictograms, Temp (weather dings), Sports Wave, Bullet Arrows
- Dinner at 8
- Ditier Cycles (2010): a grunge version of J. Hughes's Dirt Cycles.
- Disco Ball, Disco Salvation.
- Doggie Tracks (2010).
- Dollars and Cents.
- Domestic Bliss (+Solid), Blissful Hearts (Valentine's Day alphadings).
- Domino, Dominodot
- Dot matrix fonts: Belly Button (2013), Fandangle (2013), Trace Remains (2013), Billiards (2013), Pome (2013), Cow Poke (2013), Rouletto (2014), Crawler (2014), Zephyrelli (2012), Yoyo (2012), Carousel (2011), Corsivo Punti (2011), Wisp (2011), Amusement (2011), Menagerie (2011), Junk (2011), Iphont (white on black dot matrix face), Lyrical (dot matrix script), Petits Pois, Elli, Industrial Magic, Wind Chime, Domestic Bliss (2010, +Serif, +Sans Serif), Ying Yang (2009)
- Double Decker
- Eau de Kerning.
- Efficiency (2010).
- Eiffel family: mechanical.
- Electrifunkified (2013).
- eq Regular, eq Radio Waves, eq Tight.
- Erector Set (2010).
- Extension Cord
- Fairy Tale (curly)
- Fast Cars, Fast Lane, Fast Forward
- Fifty Famous Fairy Tales (bi-lined and bejeweled)
- Flair Ornate, Flaired Script, Flair, Flaired
- Floor Plan
- Flash (gridded face)
- Folk Art (wooden plank simulation)
- Font Troll
- Fractal, Wireframe, Hemisphere, Origami (now Mummification): experiments in glyph partitioning.
- Funk, Funky palms
- Gancio (2014). Hand-drawn.
- Gemstone (letters in a mosaic)
- Glyphs made from broken objects: Broken Combs, Broken Glasses
- GI Joe
- Grid1, Grid2, Pas De Grille Pli Isométrique (+Plombé), Grille Noir Pli Isométrique (+Plombé), Grille Intrépide Pli Isométrique (+Plombé), Grille Facile Pli Isométrique (+Plombé).
- Grunge faces: Feather (2010).
- Gummy (2010).
- Happily Ever After (2010).
- Heath Robinson (gorgeous mechanical font).
- Hexcavated (2010).
- High Anxiety.
- High Wire (dotted).
- Honeycomb Black (hexagonal).
- Horizontally Phased (like IBM logo from afar), Vertically Phased, Field Goal.
- Hot Diggity Dog (2010): a monoline rounded sans.
- Inline: Hi-Fi Deco, Track (+Filled), Crispy Inline
- Imperfect Optical Experiment.
- Ironside, Ironworks.
- Isomixed (+Inline, +Inverted, +Light, +Inline Light), Isomixerd Moire (nine textured styles).
- Jacks (2010): a stitching font.
- Jelly Bean series: I's, Wide, O's, Split
- Jolly Swash 9+Tall, +Tall Wide Tail).
- Kaleidoscope, Kaleidoscope Solid
- Kitchen tile faces: MadisonAveAvenue (2010), Edgar Fernhout (2012).
- Last Days Of Summer, Endless Summer, Beach.
- Lattice, Lattice Black
- Little Miss Muffet.
- Love, Love Letters
- Metroliner and Metroliner Deluxe.
- MICR fonts: Wedge Solid.
- Mitered, Zietgeist: striped 3d faces.
- Modern Ancient (chiseled font imitation)
- Molecular (+Complex, +Complex 1), Dense Molecular Complex (1 through 5), Molecular Architecture, Tessellation 1 (+Continuous), Tessellation 2.
- Monkey Bars.
- Montreal (+Italics)
- Monumental, Less Monumental,
- Mortar Booted (+Thick, Separated, Mission, Booted Mission).
- Music fonts: Fret Full (2010), Fret Station (2010).
- Mystere (2012, grunge).
- Octovision Remix
- Open&Shuttered Day, Open&Shuttered Night
- Oriental simulation/look: Shoji Pixel, Shoji Stage&Screen Soapbox, Chinese Democracy, Asian Influence.
- Origami City (2010): formerly Simply Elevated Black. Simple Elevation (2012) is in the same family.
- Outline Habitat
- Ozmosis (2014), Ozian (2014), Cardinal (2014), Emblem (2014), Oblio (2014), Hollow Branch 92014)
- Pallina (2010, + Stampino, +Diluente).
- Palm, Tall Palm
- Paperclip faces: Neue Werner Paperclip (2012).
- Piccadilly (2010).
- Pixel Dust, Pixels Dusted, Zogg Domination (video game font)
- Pop Arc (2010). In the same style: Conveyor Belt, Milk Bottle, Cookie Cutter, Erector Set (2010).
- Popsicle Sticks (nice vertically striped glyphs).
- Playbook (2010).
- Power Grid, Power Gridlocked
- Process This (2010) and Flowcahrt (2010): based on graphs of computer programs.
- Pump Boys (2010).
- Quagmire (2010)
- Radio Waves
- Razorback Block
- Receipt (2012): a dot matrix face.
- Regular Habitat
- Remixintag (2011, a clone of Wallachia by Intaglio).
- Ribbodini (2010, ribbon font).
- Road Trip
- Sausalito Nautica (2011).
- Say What? (Exaggerated ink trap face)
- Scaffoldini (2010): a 3d gridded face. Followed by Scaffo (2012), Scaffoldini Senza Griglia (2010), Scaffoldini Ascendente Contrario SG, Scaffoldini Ascendente Senza Griglia, Scaffoldini Contrario Senza Griglia, Scaffoldini Ascendente, Scaffoldini Contrario, and Scaffoldini Ascendente Contrario, Scaffoldini Prospettico (+Contrario, +SG).
- Scripts: Diode (+Dioded, Diodoubled, Diodocked, Diodedocked, Diodiced), Scherzando, Fontstitution, Rough Script, Scriptilicious, Whipped Cream, 45 Degrees, Script Town (2013), Aloha (2013), Sinal Strength (2013), Ink Well (2013).
- Skulls, Skully
- Slice N dice
- Small Wonder, Small World
- Snowflake (2010).
- Soma (2009): 3d letters mades from cubes.
- Spooky Eyeballs (2009).
- Stained Glass, Stained with Cross
- Stencil fonts: GI Joe (2012, military), Kid's Stencil (white on black), Black Tie, Matchstick, Stensei, Stencillated, Tri-Fold, Tri-Fold Cut, Tri-Fold Rounded, Stencil, Stencil Plate, Stencil Face, Semi Stencil, Psuedo Stencil, Psychedelic Stencil.
- Stitching fonts: Cross Worded (2013), Cut Here (2014), Sampler
- T-Shirts on a Clothesline
- Swamp Frog and Tadpole: artsy fat letters
- Swamp Funk, Mojo (curly letters)
- Tall Habitat
- Techno look: Technified, Slick, Tangential (2010).
- Tanqueray (2010): octagonal face.
- Teepee (wood look)
- Tennis themed: Racket, Net Ball, World Cup.
- Tetrominoes Black (2010): a 3d typeface cloned from TP2 Marriott's Tetrominoes.
- Texture fonts: Global (2011, globes), SS Half Tone (One, Two, Three), SS Watermark, SS Silk Screen (2010). These brush texture faces were cloned from Swifted Strokes by Mike Lee. Tramarada (2011) has a stunning woven look.
- The Adventure of the Dancing Men (2011, dingbats).
- The Big Top
- The Real McCoy
- Timpani, Timpaniless, Timpaniblok, Alien Crop Circles (outer space face).
- Toothpaste (2011): imitating oozing toothpaste.
- Trapezoidot, Zoidot, Dotz (dotted faces).
- Upright connected scripts: Madie (2009)
- Valentine's fonts: Hearts and Flowers, Hearts and Arrows, Keys to your Heart, Bed of Hearts
- Vapors and Mirage: evaporating glyphs.
- Vibration (2010). This multiline typeface was followed by Echo (2010).
- Victorian fonts: Alouette, Swamp Funk
- WPA Household Arts Stripes, WPA Household Arts Chex, WPA Household Arts (poster stencil face)
- Wee The People, Small World.
- Werner Paperclip (2009), Paperclip (2010): paperclip faces after a 1974 original by Ad Werner.
- Western fonts: Bolo (2010), Bow Tie (2010), Bowl (2010), Western Doodle, Sparky, Buckaroo, Diamond Buckaroo, Saloon and Desert Rose. Western style alphadings: Cart Before The Horse, Wagon Train
- White on black faces: Tabs, Dot Keys, Rounded Keys, Block Keys, Keys.
- Wim Crouwel-related fonts: Unknown Crouwel #1, Edgar Fernhout (a Wim Crouwel tribute font in kitchen tile style taken from a 1963 poster), Kalender 1976 Letters (octagonal based on a Wim Crouwel calendar from 1976), Kalender 1976, Brusselmans (based on a Wim Crouwel poster), Rabobank (based on a Wim Crouwel poster), Brabant (based on a Wim Crouwel poster)
- Woodcut, Woodcut Recut, Woodcut Banjo.
- Yay Team
- Zebeast (Zebra-striped letters)
- Zodiac Block
In 2012, he added these fonts at MyFonts: Architect, Black Tie, Carousel, Check Mate, Cobblestones, Cruise, Dog Tag, Edgar Fernhout (based on the famous poster by Wim Crouwel), Fifty Famous Fairy Tales, Fratturato Digitale (pixelish blackletter face), Ghost Town, Jackpot, Jelly Bean, Keyboard, Kingdom (a castle font), Lagniappe (Victorian), Lyrical, Madie, Matchstick, Menagerie, Q Typ, Scaffo, Sprinkle, Stained Glass, Stencillated, Stensei (stencil), Sweet Valley, Toothpaste, Vibration MF, Yoyo, Zephyrelli.
Typefaces from 2013 (no longer freely downloadable!): Pome (dot matrix), Cow Poke (dot matrix), Sausalito Nautica, Cut Here (stitching typeface), Belly Button (dot matrix face), Rouletto (bejeweled typeface), Picnic Basket (alphadings), Fandangle (dot matrix), Trace Remains (dot matrix), Billiards (dot matrix), Cross Worded, Script Town, Schematode (connect-the-dots), Electrifunkified, Aloha, Signal Strength, Ink Well, Satellite, Supper Time (alphadings), Mike (alphadings), Licorice, Conga Lounge OF, Monkey Bars, Daisies, Fractal OF (textured face), Saloon OF, Ball and Chain, Say What.
Typefaces from 2014: the multilined or inline typefaces Ozmosis, Ozian, Cardinal, Hollow Branch, Emblem, and Oblio. The alphading typefaces Rat Race and Picnic Basket. The pearly dot matrix typeface Rouletto and Crawler. The video game typefaces Pod Invasion and Zogg Domination. The stitching typeface Cut Here. The pixelized typeface Code Hijack.
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Fontspace link. Additional URL. Myfonts link. MyFonts foundry link.
View Wilson Thomas's commercial typefaces. [Google]
[P-Font Dispenser (was: Yuji-3001)]