| || |
Barcelona-based designer (b. 1986) who made the strong bold face Dakats (2010), and the ornamental Lombardic face Aribau (2010). Home page. [Google]
Alexandra Leopoldovna Gophmann
Russian designer of typefaces who collaborates with Ivan Zeifert and specializes in revivals, cyrillizations and beautiful digitizations, some of them done with Anatole Gophmann. There have been complaints about her practice of borrowing fonts from type designers without asking. One typophile writes: I have cracked open fonts she claims as hers, Bolero, Bickham and others, she has copied and pasted glyphs, copyright data, added Cyrillic and changed the copyright string. As an example, Angelica is a copy of Alejandro Paul's Miss Fajardose. Alejandro has drawn the numerals in his font in 2004 to accompany the letters found in an old catalog of alphabets. There is no other source of the numerals, and Angelica has them. Michael Clark writes: I initiated a battle with the illustrious Alexandra "Bitch" from Russia who has renamed Pouty (FontBureau) and copyrighted [it as] Bolero. She and her partner Anatoly shithead. Available on Fonts101.com for anyone who wants it free. The ass's site, Jagdesh, is in Pakistan and we cannot touch him. 260+ viewings and 140+ downloads. Let's see that is 1400$ I will never see! Others have complained as well about her practice of taking and extending fonts without permission. Anyway, her "fonts" are:
- A: Adine Kirnberg (2005, the Cyrillic version), Advokat Modern (2008), Afisha, Afisha Cap, Agatha-Modern, AlexandraScript, Amadeus, American Text C, American-Retro (2008), Ametist [based on Lorelei] (2008), AmpirDeco, Andantino-script (2008), Andantinoscript, Anfisa Grotesk (2008), Angelica, Annabelle, Antikvar (2008), Antikvar Shadow (2008), Antonella Script (2008), Antonella Script X (2008), Antract, Aquarelle, Ariadnascript, Ariston-Normal, Arkadia (2008), Arkhive, Arlekino, Art-Decoretta (2008), Art-Decorina (2008), Art-Metropol, Art-Nouveau Initial (2008), Art-Nouveau1895, Art-Nouveau1895-Contour, Art-Nouveau1900, Art-Nouveau1910, Art-Victorian (2008), ArtNouveau-Bistro, ArtNouveau-Cafe, Artemis Deco (2008), Artemon (2008, psychedelic), Arthur Gothic, Artist-Modern, Astoria Deco (2008), Atlas Deco A (2008), Atlas Deco B (2008), Auction, Augusta One, Augusta Two, AvalonMedium.
- B: Ball-Point Pen, Bankir-Retro, Barocco Floral Initial (2008), Barocco Initial (2008), Baron Munchausen, Batik Deco (2008), Belukha, BelukhaCapital, BickhamScriptAltFour, BickhamScriptAltOne, BickhamScriptAltThree, BickhamScriptAltTwo, BickhamScriptOne, BickhamScriptThree, BickhamScriptTwo, Birusa (2008), Bodoni Initials (2008), Boleroscript, Bonapart-Modern, Briolin, Brokgauz&Efron, Brokgauz&Efron-Italic.
- C: Caberne, Cafe Paris C, Calligraph-Medium, Campanella (2008), Capitol Deco (2008), Carmen, Carolina, Casanova (art nouveau) (2008), Cassandra, Castileo (2008), Certificate of Birth (2008), Chocogirl (2008), ClassicDecor (ornaments), Classica-One (2008), Classica-Two (2008), Cleopatra (2008), Conkordia (2008), Cordeballet, Corinthia, Corleone, CorleoneDue.
- D: Dama Bubey (grunge) (2008), Debut (art deco in the style of Broadway) (2008), Decadance Cursiv (2007), Decor Initial (2009: decorative caps, a Cyrillic extension of a face by Pampa Type), Decor Line (2008), DeutschGothic (blackletter), Donaldina (2008).
- E: Edisson (blackletter), Egipet-Bold, Ekaterina Velikaya One (2005), Ekaterina Velikaya Two (2005), English Rose (2008), EnglishScript, EseninscriptOne, EseninscriptTwo, Evgenia Deco (2008).
- F: Fairy Tale (2008), Fantasia (2008), Fata Morgana, Favorit, Favorit Grotesk (2008), Flamingo (2008), Fortuna Gothic FlorishC (2009, blackletter).
- G: Geisha (2006), Gertruda Victoriana (2008), Globus (2006), Gloriascript, Goudy Decor InitialC (2009, ornamental caps), Goudy Decor ShodwnC, Goudy OrnateC, Graceful Mazurka (2008).
- H: HeatherScriptOne, HeatherScriptTwo, HeinrichText, Hogarth Script (2005).
- I: Isabella-Decor, Italy-A (2008), Italy-B (2008), Izis One (monoline sans), Izis Two.
- K: Kabriolet Decor (2009), Kamelia (2009, Victorian face), Kareta-A (2007), Kareta-B (2008), KarnacOne, KarnacTwo, Konkord-Retro, Konrad-Modern (2008), Konstrukto-Deco (2008) (2008), Kot Leopold (2008), Kumparsita.
- L: Lastochka (2008), Le Grand, Leokadia Deco (2008), Lombardia, Lombardina One, Lombardina Two, Lombardina-Initial-One (2008), Lombardina-Initial-Two (2008), Lombardina-One-Roman (2008), Lombardina-Two (2008), Ludvig van Beethoveen (sic) (2005).
- M: Majestic X-2, Majestic-, MajesticX, Malahit-Bold, Margaritascript, Marianna, MarkizdeSadscript, MartaDecor One and Two, MartaDecorTwo, Martina Script C, Masquerade (2008), Matilda, Matreshka, Maya (2008), Medieval English, Melange Nouveau (2008), Menuetscript, Metro Modern, Metro Retro B (2008), Metro Retro C (2008), Metro-Retro A (2008), ModernistNouveau, ModernistOne, ModernistThree, ModernistTwo, ModernoNouveau, ModernoOne, ModernoThree, ModernoTwo, Modestina (Victorian), Mon Amour Two (both jointly copyrighted with David Rakovsky) (2008), Mon Amoure One (2008), Monte-Carlo, Monte-Kristo, Monti-Decor A B, Moonlight, Moonstone, Moonstone Stars, Morpheus, Moulin Rouge (2008).
- N: Nocturne (2005), Nostalgia (2008).
- O: Old Comedy, OldBoutique, Olietta-script-BoldItalic (2008), Olietta-script-Lyrica-BoldItalic (2008), Olietta-script-Poesia-BoldItalic (2008), Orpheus, Ouverture Script (2004, calligraphic).
- P: Parisian, Picaresque One, Picaresque-Two (2008), Pilotka (2008), Plimouth, Port-Arthur (2008), Poste Retro (2008), Postmodern One, Postmodern Two, Promenad Deco (2008), Prospect-Deco (2008), Pudelina (2008), Pudelinka (2008).
- R: Red Sunset, Regina Kursiv (2008), Renaldo Modern, Rochester, RochesterLine, RockletterSimple, RockletterTransparent, Romantica Script, Romashka Deco (2008), Romashulka (2008), Rondo Ancient One (2008), Rondo Ancient Two (2008), Rondo Calligraphic (2008), Rondo Twin (2008), Rosa Marena, Rosalia (2008), RosamundaOne-Normal, RosamundaTwo, Rotterdam, Rubius, Rurintania (sic) (2005).
- S: Samba DecorC (2006), San Remo, Sapphire C (2008), Scriptorama (a clone of Scriptina), Secession-Afisha, Sevilla Decor X, SevillaDecor, Sladkoeshka (2008), Stereovolna (2008), Stereovolna Black (2008), Stradivari Script (2008), Stradivari Script [the Latin part copyrighted by Grosse Pointe Group] (2008), Stravinski Deco (2008).
- T: Taverna, Teddy Bear [Latin by House Industries] (2008), Telegraph, TelegraphLine, TelegraphShodwn, TelegraphSmall, Terpsichora (2008, psychedelic), Theater (2009, Victorian), Theater Afisha, Topaz, Trafaret Kit (2008), Trafaret Kit Hatched (2008), Trafaret Kit Transparent (stencil) (2008), Traktir-Modern, Traktir-Modern3-D, Traktir-ModernContour, Turandot.
- V: Valentina (2008), Variete (2008), VenskiSadTwo-Medium, VenskisadOne-Medium, Vera Crouz, VeronaGothic (blackletter), VeronaGothicFlourishe (blackletter), Veronica-script-One (2008), Veronica-script-Two (2008), Victorian-Gothic-One (2007), Victorian-Gothic-Two (2008), Victoriana, Vizit (2010, engraved face).
- W: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (2005), Wonderland (2008), Wonderland Star (2008).
- Z: ZanerianTwo, Zeferino Two (2004), Zeferino Three (2005), Zeferino One (2004).
[José Alberto Mauricio]
Spanish foundry, est. ca. 2009, and on the web since 2012. It is located in Madrid. Alter Littera's fonts and web site are designed and managed by José Alberto Mauricio, who holds a doctorate degree in Economics and Business Administration, and is Associate Professor of Econometrics at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
Alter Littera produces and markets opentype fonts reviving some of the most beautiful bookhands from medieval Western manuscripts, as well as some of the finest European and North-American typefaces from the mid-fifteenth through the early-twentieth centuries. The "Bookhand", "Oldtype" and "Initials" font collections cover gothic and/or blackletter letter forms.
- Gutenberg (B42-type) A (Johann Gutenberg, Mainz, ca. 1455). Includes the full set of special characters, alternates and ligatures from The 42-line Bible. Under development.
- Gutenberg (B42-type) B (Johann Gutenberg, Mainz, ca. 1455). Includes the full set of special characters, alternates and ligatures from The 42-line Bible. Published as Gutenberg B in 2012, this is a clean, smooth rendition of the B42-type used by Johann Gutenberg in his famous 42-line Bible. The font includes a comprehensive set of special characters, alternates and ligatures, plus Opentype features, that can be used for typesetting (almost) exactly as in Gutenberg's Bible and later incunabula. He says: The main historical sources used during the font design process were high-resolution scans from several printings of Gutenberg's Bible. Other sources were as follows: Kapr, A. (1996), Johann Gutenberg - The Man and his Invention, Aldershot: Scolar Press (ch. 7); De Hamel, C. (2001), The Book - A History of The Bible, London: Phaidon Press (ch. 8); Füssel, S. (2005), Gutenberg and the impact of printing, Burlington: Ashgate (ch. 1); and Man, J. (2009), The Gutenberg Revolution, London: Bantam (ch. 7).
- Gutenberg (B42-type) C (Johann Gutenberg, Mainz, ca. 1455). Includes the full set of special characters, alternates and ligatures from The 42-line Bible. Published in 2012 as Gutenberg C, this is a slightly roughened version of the Oldtype "Gutenberg B" Font, simulating irregularities and ink spreads associated with old metal types, papers and parchments.
- Psalterium (Psalter-type) (Peter Schoeffer, Mainz, 1457). Includes the full set of special characters, alternates and ligatures from The Mainz Psalter (Psalterium Moguntinum). He writes: A clean, smooth adaptation of the magnificent gothic types used by Johann Fust and Peter Schöffer in their famous Mainz Psalter (Psalterium Moguntinum) of 1457, also used in their Canon of the Mass (Canon Missae) of 1458, and in their Benedictine Psalter (Psalterium Benedictinum) of 1459. [Although these works were published after Gutenberg's break with Fust, it is generally agreed that Gutenberg was working along with Fust and Schöffer on the Mainz Psalter while the 42-line Bible was still being printed.] In addition to the usual standard characters for typesetting modern texts, the font includes a comprehensive set of special characters, uncial initials (adapted from both the Mainz Psalter and early sixteenth-century Dutch types by Henric Pieterszoon), alternates and ligatures, plus Opentype features, that can be used for typesetting (almost) exactly as in the Mainz Psalter and later incunabula.
- Oude Hollandse (Henric Pieterszoon "Lettersnijder", Antwerp, 1492). Under development.
- French Textura (Joos Lambrecht, Ghent, 1541). Under development.
- Flamand A (Hendrik van den Keere, Antwerp, 1571). Under development.
- Flamand B (Hendrik van den Keere, Antwerp, 1571). Under development.
- Nederduits (Johann M. Fleischmann, Haarlem, 1733). Under development.
- Psalter Gotisch (Benjamin Krebs Nachfolger, Frankfurt am Main, 1890). Under development.
- Manuskript Gotisch (Bauersche Giesserei, Frankfurt am Main, 1899). Under development.
- Munthe Schrift (Gerhard Munthe, Offenbach am Main, 1904), Under development.
- Deutsche Schrift (Rudolf Koch, Offenbach am Main, 1910). Includes both normal and large, ornamental capitals (two sets), plus several finial characters and ornaments from Koch's original designs. He writes:A comprehensive and faithful rendition of Rudolf Koch's first release, usually referred to as "Fette Deutsche Schrift" or "Koch-Schrift". In addition to the regular character set, the font includes a large number of alternates and ligatures, plus two sets of ornamental initials (Initialen mit Zierstrichen und Punkten zur Koch-Schrift, and Initialen zur halbfetten deutschen Schrift). The main sources used during the font design process were a sample page from Hendlmeier, W. (1994), Kunstwerke der Schrift, Hannover: Bund für Deutsche Schrift und Sprache (p. 164), and several specimen sheets from the Gebrüder Klingspor Type Foundry for Koch's Deutsche Schrift type family.
- Maximilian (Rudolf Koch, Offenbach am Main, 1914). Includes normal, small (Klein), and roman (Antiqua) capitals, plus ornamental capitals and alternates (Zierbuchstaben). Under development.
- Wilhelm Klingspor Schrift (Rudolf Koch, Offenbach am Main, 1925). Includes both normal (wide) and narrow capitals, plus the full set of alternates, ligatures and finial characters from Koch's original designs. Under development.
- Caslon Gotisch (D. Stempel A.G., Frankfurt am Main, 1926). Produced in 2012 as Caslon Gotisch, it is a faithful adaptation of the "Caslon-Gotisch" type acquired (among several other types) by D. Stempel A.G. in 1919 from the Leipzig printer Wilhelm E. Drugulin, and further developed by Stempel in later years. Details: In addition to the usual standard characters for typesetting in modern Western languages, the font includes a comprehensive set of special characters, alternates and ligatures, plus Opentype features, that can be used for typesetting as in antique writings and printings. The main sources used during the font design process were as follows: A sample page from Typographische Mitteilungen - XXIII Jahrgang - Heft 2 (1926), and a sample page from Hendlmeier, W. (1994), Kunstwerke der Schrift, Hannover: Bund für Deutsche Schrift und Sprache (p. 37).
- Gótico Cervantes (Fundición Tipográfica Richard Gans, Madrid, 1928). Under development.
- Wallau (Rudolf Koch - Offenbach am Main, 1930). Includes German, Uncial, and Ornamental capitals. Under development.
- Alter Gothic (Alter Littera, Madrid, 2012), or Alter Gothisch. This is Alter Littera's first original design. They write: Two specific sources must be acknowledeged: (1) the "Black" type from William Caslon's A Specimen of Printing Types (1785), and (2) the "Caslon Gotisch" type by D. Stempel A.G. (1926).
- Gothic A. After late Carolingian and early Gothic manuscripts (12th century). Under development.
- Gothic B. After Erhard Ratdolt's Lombardic Capitals (1491). Under development.
- Gothic C. After Henric Pieterszoon's Uncials (1508). A comprehensive set of initials (usually referred to as Uncials, Lombardic Initials, or Lombards) of the Germanic variety, designed after Henric Pieterszoon's Gothise Monnikke Letteren as appearing in Enschedé, J. (1768), Proef van Letteren, Haarlem (p. 120); also mentioned as Great Primer Uncials and 2-line Brevier Uncials in Vervliet, H.D.L. (1968), Sixteenth-Century Printing Types of the Low Countries, Amsterdam: Hertzberger (pp. 54-55, and 212-213).
- ATF Cincinnati, ATF Caxton, ATF Missal. From American Type Founders Company's American Specimen Book of Type Styles (1912). Under development.
- Initials Bergling (2012, Alter Littera) is a comprehensive set of initials (usually referred to as Uncials, Lombardic Initials, or Lombards) of the French variety, adapted from Bergling's book Art Alphabets and Lettering (Second Edition) (1918, Chicago: Blakely-Oswald Printing Company).
- Bergling B. From J.M. Bergling's Art Alphabets and Lettering (1918). Under development.
- Morris. From William Morris's The Kelmscott Chaucer (1896). Under development.
- Initials ATF Cloister (2012). After F.W. Goudy's Cloister Initials (1917).
- Roman Square Capital. From 1st century B.C. onwards. Under development.
- Roman Rustic. 1st to 6th centuries. Under development.
- Uncial. 3rd to 6th centuries. Under development.
- Artificial Uncial. 6th to 10th centuries. Under development.
- Roman Half-Uncial. 3rd to 9th centuries. Under development.
- Insular Majuscule. 6th to 9th centuries. Under development.
- Insular Minuscule. From 6th century onwards. Under development.
- Luxeuil Minuscule. 7th and 8th centuries. Under development.
- Beneventan Minuscule. 8th to 13th centuries. Under development.
- Carolingian Minuscule. 8th to mid-12th centuries. Under development.
- Early Gothic. 11th and 12th centuries. Under development.
- Gothic Textura Quadrata. 13th to 15th centuries. Under development.
- Gothic Textura Prescisus. 13th to 15th centuries. Under development.
- Gothic Rotunda. 12th to 16th centuries. Under development.
- Gothic Littera Bastarda. From 13th century onwards. Under development.
- Fraktur. From 15th century onwards. Under development.
- Humanistic Book Script. From 15th century onwards. Under development.
- Humanistic Cursive. From 15th century onwards. Under development.
- ATF Missal Caxton (2012): A comprehensive set of initials, frames and borders, adapted from American Type Founders (ATF) Company's American Specimen Book of Type Styles, Jersey City, 1912 (pp. 944-5). The font contains over one hundred glyphs, including clean renditions of both Missal Initials and Caxton Initials, plus adaptations of Department Store Initials and French Cast Squares. Caxton Initials were first designed by F. Goudy in 1905. Missal Initials is originally due to Will Bradley in 1904.
- Alter Headletter (2012). An original from Alter Littera in the style of Century Bold Condensed.
- The Oldtype Gutenberg A Font (2012, free) is a free abridged edition of the full-featured Gutenberg B and Gutenberg C fonts.
Argentinian designer of the part calligraphic part Lombardic text family Almendra (2011, free at Google Web Fonts). Almendra won an award at Tipos Latinos 2012 in the typeface family category. It was her graduation typeface at FADU-UBA. In 2012, Google Web Fonts published Almendra Display and Almendra Small Caps. Poster by Melisa Rivas.
Ruluko (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a free typeface created by Ana Sanfelippo, A. Díaz and M. Hernández. Google: Ruluko is a typeface designed to aid those learning to read. The shapes you see are related to the handwriting typically used at schools in Argentina. The concept is that those who have learned to read this handwriting style may recognise this type style more easily than other typefaces often used in this context. But as a warm and stylish sans serif text type, you may use Ruluko for any purpose. Ruluko won an award in the text category at Tipos Latinos 2012.
In 2012, Ana Sanfelippo and Alejandro Inler published the fashion mag didone typeface Elsie at Google Web Fonts. It was accompanied by Elsie Swash Caps.
Fontsquirrel link. [Google]
[PCCrafter.com (was: Provo Craft)]
[Classic Font Company]
UK-based creator (b. 1967) at FontStruct in 2008 of Metal Vampire (athletic lettering meets vampire), Moonbase Tokyo (neat futuristic oriental simulation), Sir Robin's Minstrels (blackletter), Starscraper (techno), Moonmonkey (outline LED font), First.
In 2010, he added the non-FontStruct faces Chromium (a great special effect face), Clawripper, Dirty Play, HairyMonster, HairyMonsterSolid, Punched, and Slasha, mostly inspired by blood, guts, and murders. Static Buzz (2010) is a texture face. Newcastle (2010) is a castle-themed alphabet. Blinger (2010) is a star-studded outline face. New York Punk (2010) is grungy. Dinosaurs (2011) is a dingbat face. NUFC Shield (2011) is a shield face. Zombified (2011) and Sound Sample (2012) are grunge faces.
Rollerball 1975 (2012) is the font used in the Rollerball movie. Western Show Caps (2012) is a Western circus font. Stoned (2012) evokes letters carved in stone.
In 2013, Robinson published the textured athletic lettering font Robbie Rocketpants, Airlock, Cargo Bay (a great army stencil, with a negative letter option), Dogma (a grungy Lombardic face), and the grungy blackletter face Flesh Wound. MDMA (2013) is a halftone simulation texture face. Barbarian (2013) is an alphading typeface on the theme of swords. Camouflage (2013) is a textured typeface. Atheist (2013) is an outline typeface. Power (2013) is inspired by lettering on pwer buttons. Witching Hour (2013) is a halloween font. Dystopian Future (2013) is a grungy typeface
Dafont link. Aka Anfa. Home page. Another URL. FontStruct link. [Google]
Ohioan Bill Roach (b. 1966) created the script face Goldilocks (2009, +Reprised), Hollow Roachian Futhark (2009, runic), Anfalas (bumpy poster font), and the techno face Glyphstream (2009).
In 2012, he published a number of medieval style typefaces: Throrian, Mirkwood Chronicle, Gothic Birthday Cake, Elementary Gothic (+Bookhand), EG Dragon Caps, Renny Hybrid, Bruce, East Anglia (Lombardic).
Abstract Fonts link. A second Dafont link. FontM link. [Google]
Blackletter, Fraktur, Rotunda
Manfred's fascination with blackletter and its German roots is apparent from the tens of typefaces he designed that are either revivals of historic typefaces or playful and not so playful extensions. Here we go:
- ArtNouveauDecadente (2007)
- BarlosRandom, BarlosRandomRings
- BarlosiusEdged (2007)
- BastardaMajuskel1300 (2005)
- BauernFraktur (2004, after the 1911 original by Bauersche)
- BayreuthFraktur, Bayreuther-BlaXXL (2005, a variation of Schneidler's Bayreuth)
- BigBroken, BigBrokenTwo
- Brahms-Gotisch (2005, with Petra Heidorn: a revival of Heinz Beck's 1937 face at Genzsch&Heyse)
- BrokenHand, BrokenHand-Bold, BrokenHandLight, BrokenRoman-Bold
- BrokenSansCaps, BrokenSansCaps (2007), BrokenSansCapsJumper
- Burtine (2003: handwritten freestyle version of Burte Fraktur, 1928), Burte-Fraktur
- Burtinomatic, Burtinomatic-DemiBold
- Cantzley Inverse Caps (2007)
- CantzleyAD1600 (2005)
- Clausewitz-Fraktur (2005)
- Cuxhaven Initials Round (2006), CuxhavenFraktur (2006), CuxhavenInitials (2006), CuxhavenTimes
- DecadentaFrax (2007)
- DolbyFraxCaps (2005)
- DrunkenSailor (2006)
- ElectrUnciale (2005)
- ElephantaBlack (2006)
- FlyingHollander (2005)
- FracturiaSketched, FracturiaSketchedCaps
- FraktSketch, FraktSketchFS
- FrakturInRings (2007)
- FrakturInitials07 (2007)
- FrakturNitials (2006)
- FrakturaFonteria, FrakturaFonteriaSlim (2006)
- FraxBricKs, FraxBrix
- FraxHandwritten, FraxHandwrittenCaps (2007), FraxHandwrittenXtrem-Medium
- FraxInCage, FraxInCageLeftOblique, FraxInCageRightOblique
- GermanFatman (2006)
- GingkoFraktur (2006)
- GoldenSwing, GothicMajuscles
- GotenborgFraktur (2007)
- GotikaButtons (2005, after Imre Reiner's Gotika from 1933)
- GothicLetters (2007)
- Gotic Caps (2006)
- HansSachsCaps (2007)
- HappyFrax (2006)
- Holland-Gotisch (with Petra Heidorn; a revival of Nederduits by Johann Michael Fleischmann, ca. 1750)
- ImresFraktur, ImresFraxCaps (2007)
- JohannesGLastTraces (2007)
- Jugendstil (2006)
- KaiserRotbartCaps (2007)
- KleinSchwabach (2005)
- KleinsBrokenGotik (2006)
- KlungerCaps (2006)
- LudwigHohlwein (2006)
- LufrakturBricks (2006)
- LutherDuemille, LutherMousedrawn, LutherMousedrawn-Bold
- MK Broken Types (2006)
- MKFraxConstr (2007)
- MKalligFrax, MKalligFrax-MediumItalic
- MKancellerescaCaps (2005)
- MKantzley (2005), MKanzleiCaps-One (2006)
- MoKsford, MoKsfordBold, MoKsfordDemiBold, MoKsfordExtraLight, MoKsfordLight
- MonAmourCaps (2006), MonAmourFraktur-Broken (2006), MonAmourFrakturRegular
- MousefraKtur, MousefraKtur-Bold
- Münchner-Fraktur (2005; a revival of Renaissance Fraktur by Heinz König, 1885, Genzsch&Heyse)
- Neudoerffer, NeudoerfferScribbleQuality
- OKsfordBadFat, OKsfordItalic
- OldTypographicSymphony-Regular, OldTypographicSymphony-Round
- PopFraxFrankfurt (2007), PopFraxFrankfurtCondensed (2007)
- Potsdam (2005, a revival of a 1934 face by Robert Golpon)
- Prothesis-Black, Prothesis-Caribiqu, Prothesis-Caripix
- Schaftstiefel Kaputt (2003)
- SchneidlerSolitaires, SchneidlerSolitairesRound, SchneidlerSolitairesRound
- Schwabach, SchwabachDuemille, SchwabachScribbels, SchwabachScribbelsSecond
- ScribbledFrakturX-Heavy (2006)
- SmallEdgedFrax (2006)
- Snoutlike (2003)
- SpaceWinningFrax (2007)
- TypoasisBoldGothic (2003)
- Weissgotnitials (2005, based on Weiss's Lichte Initialen, 1935)
- WittewittMajuscles-Flourish, WittewittMajuscles-FlourishBricks
- WrittenFrax (2007)
Swedish designer born in 1924 in Stockholm. He says of himself: Compositor, Linotype operator, teacher of typography. Type designer in a small matrix factory 1950-51. Calligrapher, book designer, author, lecturer and trade mark specialist. Now retired, but does type design as a hobby and to special orders for museums, ad agencies, companies and even to private persons. Prolific typographer who created beauties such as Boberia LL (1994), a fantastic didone text family with an antique bouquet. Most of his work is available from Linotype and/or Agfa/Monotype.
Images of his best-selling typefaces.
His fonts include Boberia LL (1994, a fantastic didone text family with an antique bouquet), the Grafilone LL family (1994, an avant-garde family that is almost illegible), Cartesius (2006, a beautiful 5-style family done at T4 in a mix of garalde and Venetian fashions), Byngve (2004, Linotype, in the style of 15th century Italy), Linotype Dala Text (2002, Fraktur, with ornaments and borders), Ornabo dingbats. Art Gallery, Belltrap (1995), Benedict (uncial), Beowulf (uncial), Boscribe (2005), Bosis, Botobe (2011, an informal script), Brigida, Buccardi (1998, Agfa), Caballero Script (2011, inspired by Spanish handwriting from 15th and 16th century), Carl Beck Script (1992, calligraphic), Esseltube, Euclides, Exlibris (1998), Frisans (2005, Monotype), Gertrud (2006, T4, based on 16th century calligraphy), Geometra (2011, T4), Gianpoggio (1992), Golota (1998, Agfa), Grantofte (1995), Hagalind (2011, a calligraphic connected script), Jerrywi (1994), Johabu (Fraktur), Lebensjoy (1994), Läckö, Linotype Dala Borders, Linotype Dala Pict (2002, beautiful dings!), Linotype Hieroglyphes One and Two (2002), Logoform, Magellan, Maricava, Moorbacka, Naniara (1998), Nordik, Olaus Bandus (medieval script), Olaus Magnus, Palekin (1994), Pelegotic (2006, an art deco inspired but minimalist sans), Pelican, PocketType (1994), Picadyll (2011, art deco), Promemoria, Ringlingje, Sabellicus (1997), Space Kid (runes), Swingbill, Trotzkopf (1998), Unotype (1997, mono), Vadstenakursive (1989, blackletter face with almost Lombardic-looking capitals), Viger Spa (runes).
In 2003, these faces were published in the Linotype Taketype 5 collection: Berndal LT Std Bold, Berndal LT Std BoldItalic, Berndal LT Std Italic, Berndal LT Std Regular, Berndal LT Std SC, Siseriff LT Std Black, Siseriff LT Std Bold, Siseriff LT Std BoldItalic, Siseriff LT Std Italic, Siseriff LT Std Light, Siseriff LT Std LightItalic, Siseriff LT Std Regular, Siseriff LT Std Semibold, Siseriff LT Std SemiboldItalic.
Pelle Anderson interviews Bo Berndal. Bitstream write-up. Agfa/Monotype write-up. Author of Typiskt typografiskt (Fisher and co, 1990). MyFonts page. Linotype page. [Google]
Caps and initials
Capitals are a favoritre playground for illustrators, drawers, and artists. They go beyond just mere type. So, to no one's surprise, Manfred has created over one hundred initial caps faces: AlkoInitials, AlkoInitialsFramed, AnarchoCaps, CapitalisTypOasisMedium (Trajan), CapsMKS, CapsRandomish, CapsRandomishBricks, CassandraTwo, ChaosStripesCaps, CircleInitialsFreeshape, ClassiCapsBricksBlack, ClassiCapsShields, Clown-Normal, ClownNormal, ConstrAccident, ConstruCaps, CorrodetInitials (2006), CorrodetClassicaps, CrazyConstructor, CrazyCrazySans, CrazyCrazySans, CuneateCaps, DelitschInitialen, DotCapsMK, DotsCapsTwo, DrunkenConstructor, Ermir-Normal, ErmirNormal, FatFloralphabetXperimental, FilledABC, FloRaTialen, FloRaTialen, FloralOne, FloralTwo, FloralalphaLight, FlowerPower, FlowerPowerRound-Medium, FragmentCaps-Cross, FragmentCapsRound-Medium, GaranitialRings, GaraNitialsFramed, GaraNitialsFramed, Glitter, GlitterOblique, GoticaCaps, GotikaButtons (2005, after Imre Reiner's Gotika from 1933), GriffosSCapsFont, HansSchoensCapsInGrid, JahnsCapsRound50, JuliusCaesarBlack, KleinFeodoraCaps, KleinsWrittenCaps, LeiterplattenSans, LetterBuildings, LetterBuildingsTHREE, LinoCapsA, LinoCapsAR, LinocapsB, LinocapsBR, LombardiCaps-Round, LombardiCaps, LucaPacioliCaps, LucaPacioliRough, MKapitalisRusticaMedium, MammothishCaps, Mighty-Normal, Mighty-Normal, MightyContour-Black, MightyShadowBlack, MightySpecial-Normal, MightySpecialNormal, MightySpecialNormal, MightyWindyBlack, MultiCapsOne, MultiCapsTwo, NeoPanFrames, NoisyButtons, OldConstructedCaps, OldiesButGoodies, OrnamentalInitial, OrnamentalInitialButtons, OszillCapsSecond, OszilloCapsFirst, PetitFleurLight, PetitFleurNormal, PixCaps, PixCaps, PixCapsRound, PixCapsShadow, PixCapsWinding, PreRomanCaps, QuadratZiffernNegativ, QuadrataRoma-MediumOblique, QuasimodoCaps, ReliefCaps-Italic, ReliefCaps, RememberCassandre, RememberManhattanBolkd, RememberManhattanSeptember, RememberScribbledTypes, RodGauApesInitials, RomanGridCaps, SaltoOne-Normal, SaltoOne-Normal, SaltoTwo-Normal, SaltoTwo-Normal, SchneidlerSchwabachInitials, SchoenspergerCaps, SerifsCaps, Solitaire, Solitaires, StoneCapsIngrid, TangoMacabre, Tangoasis, TornielloInitials, Torynitialen, TorysToolsFS, ToscanButtons, ToskanaCapsRound, TrajanSmallCaps, TrajanusBriX-Invers, TrajanusBricks, TrajanusBricksXtra, TypOasisInitials, VariationsForImre, VenetianBlind, VenetianBlindInverse, VespasianCaps, VespasiansFlorials, WeimarCaps, WieynkCapsRound, WindyCityCaps, ZagzagCaps, ZebralCaps, ZebralSketchedCapsItalic, LambordicCaps, Florabetic (2005), LettersAnimales (2005), 5thCenturyCaps (2005), SnowCupsCaps (2005), VaticanianInitials (2005, gorgeous!), StackCaps (2005), DirtyHatchCaps (2005), ChristianInitials (2005), PlantsLetters (2005), CorrosClassicClimbers (2005), MKapish (2005), MKapsMixed (2005), LettersBats (2005), SchnörkelCaps (2005), XmasCaps (2005), SomeCapsStories (2006), ImresCorrodetCaps (2006), OldLettresOmbrees (2006), ArtNouveauCaps (2006), ChildrensAlphabet (2006), CatsAlphabet (2006), DigitalisHistory (2006), Duodez (2006), InitialenFramed-MK (2006), FlorAlphabet (2006), SilvestreInitials (2006), ClassicRomanCaps (2006), IllustratedAlphabet (2006), ToleCaps (2006), DelitzschCaps (2006), ImresDiscs (2006), Faces Alphabet Beta (2006), Szene In Frames (2006), Parma Initialen MK (2006), KlUngerCaps (2006), RememberScribbledInv (2006), Tequila (2006), Fraxboxes (2006, based on Rakowski's Griffin), RodgauCaps (2006), DeKonitials (2006), BigBrotherClassizismCaps (2006), K-LettresOmbrées (2006), TreeLike (2006), VictorianInitialsOne (2006), CircusBoldSquares (2006), KochsLongCapsSquares (2006), RomanaCapsClassicSquares (2006), Gotic Caps (2006), CircusBoldSquaresInvers (2006), MKanzleiCaps-One (2006), JahnsCaps (2007), Kletteralphabet (2007), StencilBricks97 (2007), ZierCaps (2007), ImresFraxCaps (2007), DeconstructionCaps (2007), SuprematismK (2007), DodgesCaps (2007), FloraliaCaps (2007), JugendstilCaps (2007), Schraffura (2007), ClassicaCaps (2007), Serena (2007), TokayOSeven (2007), DevilsAlphabets (2007), HeidEcker (2007), LombardInitials (2007), ClassicapsC (2007), GearingZahnradABC (2007), JuliusCaesarDisks (2007), Pixfabet (2007), QuasiModoButtons (2007), RoundAbout (2007), SilhouOtto (2007), CorrodetClassicapsBlack, HansSachsCaps, RococoCoquete (2007), SatanicAlphabet (2007), TwilightCaps (2007), Wacomiqua (2007), FrakturInitials07 (2007).
Designs by Jason Castle from San Rafael, CA, who graduated from Dominican University of California. He does custom font design and sells commercial faces through MyFonts and FontShop. Blog. These include:
- A: AfrikaBorders, Afrika Motifs, Agency Open (M. F. Benton, 1934, revival Jason Castle), Agency Gothic Inline, Ampersands, Azbuka (2005, a heavy slab serif).
- B: Brasileiro (2007, an art deco face).
- Carisma (2007, a clean geometric sans), Carlos (art deco inspired by Elektra), Castle Fleurons, Chinoise (2008, based on hand lettering that is reminiscent of a style of ancient Chinese square-cut ideograms), Cloister Black, Copperplate Script.
- D: Deko Initials (1993, discontinued in 2007; based on NADA0 drawn in 1972 by Marcia Loeb), Dionisio (2008, didone).
- E: Eden (Bold, Light; originally designed by Robert H. Middleton in 1934).
- F: Fat Freddie, Futura CT and Futura CT Inline (2007, based on Futura ND, but discontinued after only a few weeks).
- G: Goudy Lombardy (Lombardic), GoudyStout, Goudy Text, Goudy Trajan (1994-2010, free; +alternates).
- H: Handsome (2002, nice finger dingbats, aka fists).
- J: Jensen Arabique (left field art deco, based on work of Gustav Jensen, 1933).
- K: Koloss (art deco).
- L: Latin CT (2008,, 6 styles), Latin Wide, Laureat, Lise Informal (2008, handprinted), Lombardy.
- M: Maximilian CS (Rudolf Koch, 1917), Metropolis Bold and Shaded (based on the 1932 Stempel cut as designed by W. Schwerdtner), Minotaur (2008, an original monoline design based on an Oscan votive inscription from the second century BC; looks like simulated Greek).
- N: Norberto (2009, an all-caps Bodoni; +Stencil).
- O: Ogun (2008, inspired by an Egyptian-style Russian block alphabet and useful for athletic lettering; formerly named Azbuka).
- P: Plantain (2002, a digital version of Plantin Adweight, a 1913 face by F. H. Pierpont), Plantain Stencil (2009), Progreso (2010, a condensed, unicase, serif gothic type design inspired by the hand-lettering on Russian posters from the 1920s).
- R: Radiant, Radiant Extra Condensed CT (both Radiants are revivals of Roger Middleton's face by that name, 1940), Ransahoff (2002, ultra condensed didone), Rudolf (1992, based on Rudolf Koch's German expressionist work such as Neuland).
- S: Samira (2008, art nouveau style), Shango (1993, based on Schneidler Initials by F.H.E. Schneidler (1936), and including a digital version of Schneidler Cyrillic (1992); extended in 2007 to Shango Gothic and in 2008 to a 3-d shadow version, Shango Chiseled, and in 2009 to Shango Sans), Sculptura (2005, an all caps face based on Diethelm's Sculptura from 1957), Sencia (2008, based on Spanish art deco stock certificate lettering from 1941), Sonrisa (2009, art deco family---Sonrisa Thin is free), Standard CT (a neo-grotesque family).
- Tambor (Light, Black, Inline, Adornado) (1992) (note: Jason claims that it was remotely based on Rudolf, which in turn was based on calligraphy of Rudolf Koch), Trio (an art deco sansserif), Trooper Roman (discontinued).
- V: Vincenzo (2008, a slabby didone), Warrior (2009, a 3d font based on Ogun; +Shaded).
- X: Xavier (art deco family based on Ashley Crawford by Ashley Havinden, 1930, revival by Jason Castle in 1992).
- Z: Zagora, Zamenhof (2011: an all caps poster face with constructivist ancestry, named after the inventor of Esperanto), Zuboni Stencil (2009, Latin and Cyrillic, constructivist).
Specializing in celebrity signature fonts, this Arcadia, CA-based foundry (est. 2008) is run by Jose Jimenez (b. Costa Mesa, CA, 1963). MyFonts link. It sells the following typefaces: Nursery Rhyme Initials (2004), Hire Me (2009), American Presidents (2008: a collection of all 44 U.S. Presidential signatures including Barack Obama), Signers of the Declaration of Independence (2008: a collection of all 56 signers of America's Declaration of Indepdendence).
In 2009, they added Tough Dude (childish handwriting), Western Americana (famous signatures), and Coulant Classique (calligraphic).
In 2010, he created a mix of calligraphy and brush in Classic Cool, as well as an ordinary handprinted Wet Pussycat, and the all caps faces Snowflake Drop Caps, Crumpled Parchment (grunge), Mauro Poggi Ornamental Caps, and Flowery Drop Caps. Lil'Punk (2010) is a grungy handprinted face. 20th Century German (2010), Maurice Dufrene Initials (2010, art nouveau) and Sassa Mixed (2010, inspired by Swiss art from 1939) are ornamental caps faces.
First Ladies (2011) consists of signatures of first ladies. Parisian Ornamentals (2011) is an ornamental shadow caps face modeled after an alleged 1810 design by J. Gillé [ahem, Gillé died in 1789...]. Other 2011 designs: Landscape Alphabet, Hollywood Stars (signatures), American Revolution (signatures), American Authors.
In 2012, he published Cartoon Characters Vol. 1, Medieval Times (illuminated caps), Pretzel Dough, Cats (alphadings), Bellflower (Victorian caps), Florid Renaissance (floriated caps), Victorian Ornamentals, Griffith Initials, Mother's Hand, Art Deco Flowery Initials (which are Victorian or art nouveau, and not really art deco in my view), Santerini Initials (inspired by Italian hand-etched designs dating back to 1839), 19th Century American Initials (art nouveau ornamental caps), Godfrey Sykes Initials (inspired by the decorations of Godfrey Sykes, whose work was greatly influenced by that of Raphael and Michelangelo), Alphabet of Death (a series of Northern-Renaissance-style woodcut letters based on the work of Hans Holbein the Younger), Lombardia Illuminata (Lombardic ornamental capitals), Straight Angles, Body Art (silhouettes), Italian Gothic (a full set of decorative initials inspired by 16th-century Italian calligrapher Giovanni Battista Palatino), Letters And Lace (ornamental caps), 26 Flowers (floriated drop caps), Brushwork (oriental brush face), Sfondo Fiorito (flourished caps).
Typefaces from 2013: English Monarchs (signatures of British monarchs), Kitchen Utensils (ornamental caps), Devilish, Papillon Woodcuts (a digital revival of an ornate alphabet by French engraver Jean-Michel Papillon dating back to 1760).
Klingspor link. [Google]
Clarence Pearson Hornung
Prolific author, b. 1899. His books include the typographically magnificent Handbook of Early Advertising Art, Mainly from American Sources (Dover, 2 volumes). The typeface Lexington is attributed to him, as Mac McGraw writes: Lexington is a font of shaded and decorated letters and figures, drawn for ATF by Wadsworth A. Parker in 1926, from a design by Clarence P. Hornung. It is an ornamental form of roman letter, with curly serifs, and tendrils at the ends of light strokes. It was recast in 1954, and copied in one size by Los Angeles Type.
The book Early Advertising Alphabets, Initials and Typographic Ornaments (1956), edited by Clarence P. Hornung, led Dick Pape to creates these digital fonts in 2008: AltDeutsch, Amorette1889, ArabesqueDesign, BreiteEgyptienne (2008), BreiteverzierteClarendon, ChiswickPressGothicInitials, EarlyScrollAlphabet, EarlySignboards, EnglandInitials1880, ErhardDatdolt, FlorentineInitials, FlorentineInitialsReverse (2008), GothicChancery1880s, GothicClosedLetter (2009-2010, Lombardic), Hollandisch-Gothic (2010), JudendstilAlphabet (2009), LilyoftheValley, Papillon 1760 [First shown in Paris in 1760, and reprinted by Clarence P Hornung in Dover Pictorial Archive Series: Early Advertising Alphabets, Initials a nd Typographic Ornaments (1956, Dover Publications). Hornung's images inspired Pape's typeface], Phantasie (2009-2010), RomaineMidolline (2010), RomanPrintShaded (2010, ornamental roman caps), RusticAlphabet, SilhouetteInitials1880, TheTerrorsofNightLife, VerzierteAltGothic, VerzierteGothic, VictoriaGingerbread1890 (2007).
Download here. [Google]
Classic Font Company
The Classic Font Company is a small foundry with absolutely gorgeous commercial fonts (often revivals of pen drawings) by Tony Nash (b. Bristol, 1944): Abby (blackletter family), Amadeus (1997), Batard, Bede, Byro, Carol (1997, blackletter family), Classic (2000-2002), Copper, Doodles (2000), El Cid (2000), Frameworks, Karen, Kells (celtic uncial), Prima, Priory (1997), Savoy (1997, a great bastarda font family accompanied by Savoy Frames), Scriptoria, Theodore (1995, blackletter font), Tuscany (Lombardic face), Versals (2000, Lombardic capitals). Plus 13 sets of fantastic caps (but not in font format) by Andy Jeffery. Based in North Somerset, UK.
Not to be confused with the rip-off outfit "Classic Font Corporation, USA".
Identifont lists these faces: Abby, Abby Hilite, Abby Lowlite, Abby Open, Abby Split, Amadeus, Carol, Classic, Copper, Doodles (CFC), El-Cid, FW-Leaves, Kells, Priory, Savoy, Theodore, Theodore Fancy, Tuscany (CFC), Versals.
View Classic Font Company's typeface library. [Google]
French type designer (b. 1948) who was born in the South of France. He studied typography, calligraphy and painting at the School of Fine Arts in Toulouse. He received the Prix Charles Peignot in 1982. In 1992, the President of France invited him to design the inscriptions for the royal tombs in the Basilique Saint Denis in Paris. He published Calligraphie (Imprimerie Nationale, 1993). Author of Calligraphy (Wommelgem, Belgium, 1996) and Histoire de la calligraphie française (Albin Michel, 2006; examples here). In 2009, with the help of Atelier des Signes, he created a typeface for the signage at Chateau de Fontainebleau. Additional URL. In 2010, Mediavilla cofounded Media type Foundry with Sonia Da Rocha and Joel Vilas Boas in Paris.
- Galba: an elegant roman face, done at Mecanorma in 1987.
- Media Script (Mecanorma, 1985).
- Mediavilla (CCT, 1976).
- Mediavilla Script (Graphitel, 1986).
- Palazzo (Mecanorma, 1984).
- Tory (1991).
Examples of calligraphic alphabets drawn by him and shown in his Histoire de la calligraphie française (2006): Bastarda, Cancellaresca, Carolingian, Cursive gothic 1410, Luxeuil, Roman Capitals, Roman cursive 1st century, Roman cursive 4th century, Rustica 1st century, Textura 14th century, Textura 15th century, , Tourneure 15th century, Uncial 4th century.
Klingspor link. [Google]
Dan X. Solo: Digitizations by Dick Pape
Dick Pape based the following digitizations (2008-2010) of blackletter, art deco, Celtic, initial caps, and other ornamental typefaces shown by Dan X. Solo in his Dover books: DXSAlphaMidnight, DXSAlphaTwilight, DXSBeansBold, DXSBlackline (prismatic, art deco), DXSBoboBold, DXSBrusselsInitials, DXSBuckinghamInitials, DXSBust, DXSCharger, DXSCheckmate, DXSCorral, DXSDevon, DXSDevonian, DXSDudleyPNarrow, DXSFatCat, DXSFestival, DXSFrankfortInitials, DXSFuturaInline, DXSGrooviestGothic, DXSGuildhall, DXSHessNeobold, DXSHotline, DXSHuntingtonInitials, DXSJoyceBlack, DXSKupferInitials, DXSLampoon, DXSLeipzigInitials, DXSLeister, DXSLowenbrau, DXSMonogramStencil, DXSMonumentBold, DXSNottinghamInitials, DXSOrbit, DXSOttoHuppInitials, DXSPickfair, DXSPolly, DXSPotsdamInitials, DXSPrismaniaC, DXSPrismaniaP, DXSQuote, DXSRegalBlack, DXSRhythmBold, DXSRickyTick, DXSRoco (art deco), DXSSansSouci, DXSShadyDeal, DXSSheetSteel, DXSSilverShadowBlack, DXSStuttgartInitials, DXSTester, DXSThedaBara (counterless geometric art deco), DXSTulo, DXSTuxedo, DXSUrban (psychedelic), DXSVeronica, DXSWestmorland, DXSWienText, DXSYagiBold.bmp DXSYagiDouble, DXSYorkshireInitials, DXSZany, DXSZephyr.
Images: DXSBlackline, DXSBust, DXSDudleyPNarrow, DXSGrooviestGothic, DXSJoyceBlack, DXSMonogramStencil, DXSPrismania'P', DXSRickyTick, DXSRoco, DXSSheetSteel, DXSTulo, DXSUrban, DXSYagiDouble, DXS Alpha Twilight, DXS Brussels Initials, DXS Kupfer Initials, DXS Lowenbrau, DXS Otto Hupp Initials, DXS Theda Bara, DXS Urban. Download page. [Google]
From Portland, OR, Dave Fabik's truetype fonts. Includes fonts such as Slipstream, Willow (1995, Rennie Mackintosh style lettering), DungeonBlocksFilled (1995), GrekoDeco (1992, based on El Greco Adornado by Fundicion Richard Gans), SableBrush, RoughBrush, Zoom, Quainte, DeRoos Caps (Lombardic).
Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
David Fleming Nalle
[Scriptorium (Ragnarok Press, Fontcraft)]
[New Fontografia (was: David's Fontografia 2006)]
[Dan X. Solo: Digitizations by Dick Pape]
[Clarence Pearson Hornung]
DSA und SR Site
Archive: BookAntiqua-BoldItalic, BookAntiqua-Italic, AvalonQuestRegularSWFTE, BadAcid, CelticHand, EmperorsScrawl, FrankensteinPlain, Ginko, HORROR, Jolt, KnightsQuest, Lombardic, OldEnglishNormal, Stinger, Tolkien, Baphomet, MariageNormal, CelticmdDecorativeWDropCaps, Diploma, Dragonwick, GargoyleSSi, KellyAnnGothic, LcdD, PapyrusLetPlain. [Google]
Judith Sutcliffe (Audubon, IA) is the Electric Typographer (est. 1986, Santa Barbara, CA). She has made absolutely exquisite highly original faces, which are sold by many foundries and vendors, including Will-Harris.
Her typefaces: Abelard (1988, mediaeval), LeonardoHand (Da Vinci's handwriting--greeeeaaaat), Lutahline (clean handprinted family), ArabiaFelix, Petroglyph (nice dingbat series), AuntJudy, BlockParty, PetroglyphHawaii, ItalianAElectric, TaglienteInitials (another great calligraphic font), TommysType (letters on a clothesline), Kiilani, and Troubador (1988-1989, mediaeval) and Troubador Initials (1989). Atomic Type sells her fonts. Other fonts: Petroglyph Hawaii (1993), Daylilies, Greene, GreeneGreene, Insecta, Leaves, OldstyleChewed, Finfont, Flourish, Hawaii Set, Maskerade, Santa Barbara Electric (1989, a Lombardic / uncial face; + Barbara Svelte, + Barbara Plump), Schampel, Electric Stamps, Daly Hand, Kiilani, Mesopotamia (1992). Emodigi site. At Will-Harris House, we find these fonts by Judith Sutcliffe: Catastrophe, Tommy, Daly Hand and Daly Text (based on the casual calligraphy of Pacific Northwest artist George Daly), Finfont (fish), Daylilies, Leaves, Flourish (calligraphic family), Greene&Greene (architectral lettering), a Hawaiian set consisting of Kiilani, Hibiscus (alphadings), and RockArt dingbats, Insecta (dings), Oldstyle Chewed, Leonardo (neat handwriting of DaVinci simulated), Petroglyphs, Schampel (blackletter), Serpent, Maskerade (masks), Tagliente (nice old-fashioned lettering and caps).
FontShop link. Another FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Tustin, CA-based illustrator who created a wonderful Lombardic logotype called Siena in 2012.
Behance link. [Google]
Ethan Paul Dunham
Japanese foundry in Nagoya that offers these free and commercial Latin fonts made by Ryoichi Tsunekawa, who also runs Bagel & Co, Dharma Type, HolidayType and Prop-A-Ganda. Most of his work was done at Flat-It. His typefaces:
- 2013: Griffon (copperplate titling face), Antique Spenserian (based on Spencerian Script by Mackellar, Smiths and Jordan).
- 2012: Geom Graphic (a retro sci-fi family that can be considered as a squarish version of Eurostile), Sheepman (modular), House of Cards, Space Colony (a lovely monoline futuristic techno family), Rama Slab (an antiqued wood-style slab serif), Rama Gothic. An antiqued sans serif family that recalls the wood type era), Diamond Ring (an art deco typeface inspired by Japanese cosmetics-packaging designs and posters from the late 19th and early 20th centuries), Controller (techno meets organic in this rounded squaris sans family), Revolution Gothic (an extended version of PAG Revolucion), 2008, which was inspired by retro propaganda posters and wallpainting in Cuba from the 60s to 80s), Diamond Ring (art deco).
- 2011: Yummo (monoline organic sans), Sheepman (based on the wood type No. 506 of William Page), Onick (2011, an art deco neojaponist fat display face done for Wordshape), Shiva (2011, hairline sans), Mocha Mattari (2011, grunge), Dharma Slab (2011, inspired by 1800s-style wood type), Dharma Gothic (2011, +P), Rama Gothic (2011, also inspired by 1800s-style wood type), Dimensions (2011, squarish), Design System (2011, a large family based on 70s style techno faces), Speedometer (2011, condensed piano key face).
- 2010: Stereo Gothic (2010: an extended all caps slightly techno sans family), Behrensmeyer Vigesimals (2010, a pixel format connected script), Civilite Vigesimals (2010, pixelized Civilite), Flat10 Arts and Crafts (2010), Flat20 Hippies, Flat10 Segments (2010), Flat10 Antique (2010), Flat20 Gothic (2010), Flat20 Streamer (2009, pixelized ribbon font), Flat10 Fraktur, Flat10 holy, Flat10 Holly, Flat10 Stencil, Flat20 Headline, Flat10 Artdeco, Word From Radio (2008-2010). Cigarette (2007, Bauhaus/Peignot-style type family).
- 2009: African Elephant Trunk (2009), Concrete Script, Concrete Stencil (2009, a stencil calligraphic script), Perfect Magic (2009), HT Maison (2009, signage face), HT Farmacia (2009, connected school script), HT Espresso (2008, upright script), HT Cartoleria (2008, connected script), HT Cafe (2009), Sneaker Script (2009).
- 2007-2008: Bistro Mono (2007, an awkward monoline face), Thousands (2007), Balaghat (2008), Garash Script (2008, a Halloween face), Woodstamp (2008), Banana (2008, brush script), Rebel Train Goes (2008, a piano key font), Rouge (2007, an elegant lipstick-on-the-bathroom-mirror pair of faces), Yasashii (2007, a great geometric art deco Broadway-style family), Lily Wang (2006, calligraphic script), Nothing (2007), Garash (2007, Arabic simulation), Moon Star Soul (2007, Western saloon font), Grandes Vacances (+ Une, Deux) (2007), Pansy Bo (2006, calligraphic), Dremie (2007, an art deco headline face with Open and Fill weights), Grandes Vacances (2007, based on 19th century billboard letters), Xesy (2007, a fantastic "ronde" high-contrast upright connected script), Deluta Black (2007, a soft blackletter), Cotoris (2007, a 4-style family that takes inspiration from Koch Antiqua and the art nouveau movement).
- 2006: Daisy Lau (2006, calligraphic), Agedage Luxeuil (2006, based on a monasteric script from the 8th century), Agedage Cancellaresca (2006), Agedage Simple Versal (2006, Lombardic caps simplified), Amsterdam Modern (2006, art nouveau influences), Flat10 [Holly, Holy, Stencil, Fraktur] (2006, a set of pixel faces), Machiarge (2006, a heavy connected brushed signage script), Chic Hand (2006, connected script), Double Dagger (2006, geometric stencil family), Fault (2006, an art deco striped lettering face), Killernuts (2006, headline serif face with brush stroke endings), Underconstructionism! (2006, a rectangular look family with associated dingbats), Machia (2006, decorative script), Kiwi (geometric hairline), Bagel (roundish comic book face), Jaguarundi (2006, distressed), Boycott (2006, distressed), Tokyotrail (2006, futuristic techno family), Coconut (noisy outline face), Coconut Split, Fresh Tomato (LED simulation), Dried Tomato (LED simulation), Dutch Style, Mocha Harrar (great stencil face), 103 (experimental, Bank Gothic style), Airhead, ArealBlack, Awkward, BagelNew, BagelOld, Banbino, Bebas (2005, industrial sans), Berlin89, Blackout (redesigned in 2011 as the ulta-narrow Dimensions), Boycott (grunge), Built-1970, Bunyan, Busted, Camera (2007), Canstop, Chiangmai (Thai simulation face), DBLline, Dijkstra, Dutchstyle, Fling, Graphite, Harcomaso, Hiexplosive, Hitech, Honeycomb, Junkmix, Kanatypo, KemikalHi, Machia (2006, a calligraphic family), Meegoreng, Mikrob, Natsupopy, Overwork, Palsu, Plamo, Plasitico, REC001, REC002, REC003, Resistance, SQRT, STdigi (LED font), Shandy, Superstar, Tembaga, Tenaga, Tomodachi, Tragedia, Trucker, VRdigital, VRembroidery, Welcome2M, Workaholic, Zeebraa, plot-A, plot-K, Appendix 3, Gesso (grunge), Pusab (2006, ultra round; one free weight), Sushitaro, Typewrong, Celtics Modern (2006, a Celtic family of fonts). At T-26, he published CRZ (2006), Guppy, Ohana (2006, octagonal), Picnica (2006), and Wearetrippin.
MyFonts link. Fontsquirrel link for their free fonts such as Bebas (2005, industrial sans), Boycott, Gesso, and Pusab. YWFT link. Bagel & Co. link. Klingspor link. Dafont link. Dafont link.
View Ryoichi Tsunekawa's typefaces. Kernest link. [Google]
[Ethan Paul Dunham]
FontHead Design (Wilmington, DE) sells cool fonts designed by Ethan Dunham (b. 1972, Glens Falls, NY). A partial list: Mother Goose (2008), Allise, GoodDogCool, Fontheads (dingbats), Randisious, Greyhound (1997, an arts and crafts face), Rochester, Samurai, AsimovSans, Gurnsey20, Scrawl, BadDog, Holstein, SlackScript, Bessie, SloppyJoe (gone?), Blearex, HandSkriptOne, SmithPremier, BlueMoon, HolyCow, SororityHack, Bonkers, HotCoffeeFont, SpillMilk, BraveWorld, Isepik, Sputnik, Brolga, TekStencil, Carnation, Mekanek (1995), Teknobe (1995), Merlin, Toucan Grunge (gone?), Tycho, TypewriterOldstyle, MotherGoose, Croissant, Democratika (now Americratika--I think Emigre forced FontHead to change the name), Noel (1996-1997, Lombardic all caps face, with an open version added), LillaFunk (gone?), Margo Gothic (gone?), Toddler (gone?), NoelBlack, WashMe, Diesel, Orion, Gritzpop, Pesto, BattleStation, CircusDog, Dandelion, DraftHand, Flowerpot, Navel, ShoeString, Stiltskin, ZipSonik. Plus JohnDoe, and old typewriter font. Free fonts: Font Heads (dings), Smith Premier, Vladimir, Tycho, Typewriter Oldstyle, ScareCrow, Millennia, SpillMilk, GoodDog, Holstein, Red Five. All formats, Mac and PC. In the comic font series, look for Stan Lee (now Comic Talk), FH Excelsior (now Titlex), Grimmy (now Flim Flam), and Kirby (now Grit).
Fonts created in 1999: AppleSeed, Caterpillar, Chinchilla, ChinchillaBlack, ChinchillaDots, CrowBeak, CrowBeakLight, CyberMonkey, DanceParty, DingleHopper, FourScore, FourScoreTitling, Hopscotch, HopscotchPlain, Ladybug, Leaflet-Regular, LeafletBold, LeafletLight, ReadOut, ReadOutSuper, Smoothie, Swizzle, TwoByFour, VeryMerry. Made in 2001: ButterFinger, ButterFingerSerif, CatScratch, Catnip, FighterPilot, FrenchRoast, Handheld, HandheldItalic, HandheldRaised, HandheldRaisedItalic, HandheldRound, HandheldRoundItalic, Kingdom, OldGlory, Quadric, QuadricSlant. MyFonts page.
In 2006, several dingbats fonts were added, such as the ClickBits Arrow series and the ClickBits Icon series.
In 2008, he created InfoBits Things and InfoBits Symbols, Abigail, Assembler, Click Clack, Drawzing (children's font), El Franco (grunge), Good Dog New (handprinted), Helion (futuristic), Lead Paint (brush), Schema (architectural lettering), Skizzers (handprinted), Tachyon (2008, techno, futuristic). Free font download. This place has Allise, Americratika, AppleSeed, AsimovSans, Asterix-Blink-Italic, Asterix-Blink, Asterix-Italic, Asterix-Light-Italic, Asterix-Light, Asterix, BadDog, BattleStation, Beckett, Bessie, BlackBeard, Blearex, BlueMoon, Bonkers, BraveWorld, Brolga, BrownCow, Carnation, CatScratch, Caterpillar, Chinchilla, ChinchillaBlack, ChinchillaDots, CircusDog, CornDog (2004), Croissant, CrowBeak, CrowBeakLight, CyberMonkey, DanceParty, Dandelion, Dannette-Outline, Dannette, DayDream, Democratika, Diesel, DingleHopper, DoomsDay, DraftHand, Flowerpot, Font-Heads, FourScore, FourScoreTitling, FunkyWestern, Goliath, GoodDog-Bones, GoodDog-Cool, GoodKitty, Greyhound, Grimmy, Gritzpop, GritzpopGrunge, Gurnsey20, HandskriptOne, Holstein-Bold, Holstein, HolyCow, Hopscotch, HopscotchPlain, HotCoffeeFont, HotTamale, Isepik, JohnDoe, JollyJack, Keener, Klondike-Bold, Klondike, Ladybug, Leaflet-Regular, LeafletBold, LeafletLight, LillaFunk, LogJam-Inline, LogJam, MargoGothic, MarvelScript, MatrixDot-Condensed, MatrixDot, Mekanek, Merlin, Millennia, Mondo-Loose, MotherGoose, Navel, Network, Noel, NoelBlack, Oatmeal, Orion, Pesto, Randisious, ReadOut, ReadOutSuper, RedFive, Rochester, Samurai, Scarecrow, Scrawl, ShoeString, ShoeStringRound, SlackScript, SloppyJoe, SmithPremier, Smock, Smoothie, SororityHack, SpaceCowboy, SpillMilk, Sputnikk, StanLee-Bold, StanLee-BoldItalic, StanLee-Regular, Stiltskin, Submarine, Swizzle, TekStencil, Teknobe, Torcho, ToucanGrunge, TwoByFour, Tycho, Typewriter2, TypewriterOldstyle, VeryMerry, Vladimir, WashMe, Watertown-Alternate, Watertown-Black, Watertown-Bold, Watertown, ZipSonik-Italic, ZipSonik, ZipSonikSketch-Italic, ZipSonikSketch.
Font Squirrel carries ElliotSix (simple handwriting), GoodDog (children's hand) and Millennia (squarish). In fact, in 2009-2010, Ethan Dunham became a very active web font persona, offering a commercial web font service, Fontspring, and a free font service, Fontsquirrel.
Klingspor link. [Google]
Fonts101 archived free fonts related to Lombardic. [Google]
Frederic William Goudy
Also Maistre Geofroy Tory de Bourges. Parisian printer, designer and engraver, 1480-1533. As designer and engraver he produced beautiful initials, borders, and illustrations. In Champ-fleury, auquel est contenu l'art et science de la vraie proportion des lettres antiques selon le corps et visage humain (Paris, 1529), Geoffroy Tory compared the proportions in letters to proportions in the human body. The books treats the design of roman capitals and is critical of the work of Dürer. It was translated in English by George B. Ives, New York, in 1927. There also exists a facsimile, with introduction by John Jolliffe. East Ardsley, dated 1970. He was rewarded by François I with the title of Imprimeur du Roi in 1531.
Octavo.com sells a CD of the original book. You can also view the text on-line. Essay in Spanish on his life. Page at Columbia University.
Scans, images: Letter I superimposed on a human face, Lettres Fantastiques (caps made from tools), [continued], Lettres Imperialles et Bullatiques (capitals), [continued], Lettres Tourneures (Lombardian capitals), Construction of an S, Construction of a Z, Construction of an A, his Lettres Latines alphabet, Cadeaulx (blackletter caps), [continued].
There have been rather few attempts at making a typeface based on Tory's drawings from Champ Fleury. Gilles Le Corre (GLC) created 1529 Champ Fleury Initials (2010) for example. The text of that book, which was printed by Gilles de Gourmond in Paris, led Gilles Le Corre to develop the rough typeface 1529 Champ Fleury Pro. [Google]
Georg Giesecke, of Schelter&Giesecke in Leipzig, patented many of their typefaces in the USA. A partial list (with PDFs of the patents): Akantrea (1883), Angel Caps (1888), Border Series 73 (1887), Boxed Alphabet (1881), Celtic Caps (1883), Gothic Initials (1883), Initials (1889), Italian renaissance 1883), Kartuschen Einfassung Serie 72 (1887), Lombardic (1885), Ornaments (1878), Script (1887), Shieldface A (1881), Shieldface Combination Pieces (1881), Silhouette Border Series 63 (1884), Zierschrift 1400 (1889). [Google]
George Williams's site (now defunct) site was a discovery! George Williams (b. 1959) wrote spline-generating code and then went on to produce several fonts with his software between 1987 and 1998:
- Art nouveau style: Carmen, Ambrosia (1989), Fantaisie Artistique, Baldur, Monopol, Parisian, Peignot, Bocklin, Edda.
- Lombardic: Lombardic.
- Victorian: Caprice, Ringlet.
- Uncial: Uncial Animals, Roman Uncial Modern.
- Ornamental caps: Versal, Decorative, Square Caps, Extravagant Capitals, Floral Caps, Morris, Andrade.
- Display faces: Crystal, Flash, Cupola.
- Blackletter: Rotunda (1998), Bastarda, Textura Modern, Fractur (a remake of Wittenbach).
- Art deco: Piccadilly, Mirage (1999, prismatic).
- Calligraphic: Humanistic.
- Text: Caslon.
- Slab: Monospace.
- Sans: Caliban.
- Bamboo Gothic (2007).
- TIS620-2529 (a Thai font).
George Williams writes: I have been slowly working to provide free unicode postscript fonts for the three major groupings of styles used by european (latin, greek and Cyrillic anyway) type designs: serif, sans-serif and typewriter (or times, helvetica and courier). Monospace is my approximation to courier. Close examination will reveal that it is a bad copy of courier. Caslon is a serif font (designed by William Caslon in 1734), it's not a bad copy of times, it's a bad copy of something else. Caliban is a bad copy of Helvetica. If Microsoft can call their version of Helvetica Arial, then Caliban seems appropriate for mine. Alternate URL. Yet another URL.
George Williams is best known as the inventor and creator of FontForge, the bigest and best free font editor today. It made him the darling of the Open Software community. Interview with OSP.
Fontspace link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Gilles Le Corre
[GLC --- Gilles Le Corre]
GLC --- Gilles Le Corre
[Gilles Le Corre]
French painter born in Nantes in 1950, who lives in Talmont St Hilaire. His fonts include 2010 Cancellaresca Recens (inspired by a chancery type of Francisco Lucas from the late 16th century), 2009 Handymade (comic book style), 2009 Lollipop (chancery style), 2009 GLC Plantin, 2009 Primitive (2009, a rough-edged roman script), 2008 Script 2 (2008), GLC Ornaments One (2008) and 2008 Xmas Fantasy (2008: blackletter). In 2008, he started GLC -- Gilles Le Corre and became commercial. He is best known for his historic revivals:
- 161 Vergilius (2010)
- 750 Latin Uncial (2010): inspired by the Latin script used in European monasteries from circa 5th to 8th, before the Carolingian style took over. The uppercases were mainly inspired by a 700's manuscript from Fécamp's abbey in France.
- 799 Insular (2010): inspired by the so-called insular style of Latin script that was used in Celtic monasteries from about 600 until 820.
- 825 Karolus (2009), and 825 Lettrines Karolus (2009).
- 1066 Hastings (2009).
- 1350 Primitive Russian (2012) was inspired by a Russian Cyrillic hand of Russkaja Pravda. It has rough-edged Latin charaters and many old Russian glyphs.
- 1420 Gothic Script (2008).
- 1431 Humane Niccoli (2010), after writings of Florence-based calligrapher Niccolo Niccoli (1364-1437).
- 1456 Gutenberg (2008, based on a scan of an old text). Followed by 1456 Gutenerg B42 Pro, which was based on the so called B42 character set used for the two Gutenberg Latin Bibles (42 and 36 lines).
- 1462 Bamberg (2008).
- 1467 Pannartz Latin (2009): inspired by the edition De Civitate Dei (by Sanctus Augustinus) printed in 1467 in Subiaco by Konrad Sweynheym and Arnold Pannartz, who was the punchcutter.
- 1470 Sorbonne (2010) was inspired by the first French cast font, for the Sorbonne University printing shop. The characters were drawn by Jean Heynlin, rector of the university based on examples by Pannartz. It is likely that the cutter was Adolf Rusch.
- 1470 Jenson-SemiBold (2008).
- 1475 BastardeManual (2008, inspired by the type called Bastarde Flamande, a book entitled Histoire Romaine (by Titus Livius), translated in French by Pierre Bersuire ca. 1475, was the main source for drawing the lower case characters).
- 1479 Caxton Initials (2009): inspired by the two blackletter fonts used by the famous William Caxton in Westminster (UK) in the late 1400s.
- 1483 Rotunda Lyon (2010): inspired by a Venetian rotunda found in a 1483 book called Eneide printed in Lyon by Barthélémy Buatier (from Lyon) and Guillaume Le Roy (from Liège, Belgium).
- 1484 Bastarda Loudeac (2008).
- 1470 Jenson Latin (2009), inspired by the pure Jenson set of fonts used in Venice to print De preparatio evangelica in 1470.
- 1491 Cancellarasca Normal and Formata (2009): inspired by the very well known humanistic script called Cancellaresca. This variant, Formata, was used by many calligraphers in the late 1400s, especially by Tagliente, whose work was mainly used for this font.
- 1492 Quadrata (2008).
- 1495 Lombardes (2008): a redrawn set of Lombardic types, which were used in Lyon by printers such as Mathias Huss, Martin Havard or Jean Real, from the end of 14OOs to the middle of 1500s.
- 1495 Bastarda Lyon (2008, based on the font used in the "Conte de Griseldis" by Petrarque).
- 1499 Alde Manuce Pro (2010): inspired by the roman font used by Aldus Manutius in Venice (1499) to print Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, the well-known book attributed to Francesco Colonna. Francesco Griffo was the punchcutter. The Italic style, carved by Francesco Colonna, illustrates the so-called Aldine style.
- 1509 Leyden (2008; inspired by the type used in Leyden by Jan Seversz to print Breviores elegantioresque epistolae).
- 1510 Nancy (2008, decorated initial letters was inspired by those used in 1510 in Nancy (France, Lorraine) for printing of Recueil ou croniques des hystoires des royaulmes d'Austrasie ou France orientale[...] by Symphorien Champion; unknown printer).
- 1512 Initials.
- 1514 Paris Verand (based on initial caps that Barthélémy Verand employed for the printing of Triumphus translatez de langage Tuscan en François.
- 1522 Vicentino (2011). Based on Ludovico Vicentino Arrighi's 1522 face published in La Operina.
- GLC 1523 Holbein (2010, after Hans Holbein's Alphabet of Death.
- GLC 1525 Durer Initials (2010). Sample R.
- 1529 Champ Fleury Pro and 1529 Champ Fleury Initials (2010): based on Geofroy Tory's original drawings and text face.
- 1532 Bastarde Lyon (2008, based on work by an anonymous printer in Lyon (France) to print the French popular novel Les Grandes et inestimables Chroniques du grand et enorme geant Gargantua).
- 1533 GLC Augereau Pro: inspired by one of Antoine Augereau's three roman typefaces: the Gros Romain size, used in 1533 to print Le miroir de l'&aciorc;me..., a poetic compilation by Marguerite de Navarre, sister of the French king François I.
- 1534 Fraktur (2009; inspired by the early Fraktur style font used circa 1530 by Jacob Otther, printer in Strasbourg (Alsace-France) for German language printed books).
- 1536 Civilité manual (2011). Based on a handwritten copy of Brief story of the second journey in Canada (1535) by French explorer Jacques Cartier.
- 1538 Schwabacher (2008, based on a font used by Georg Rhan in Wittemberg (Germany) to print Des Babsts Hercules [...], a German pamphlet against roman catholicism written by Johannes Kymeus).
- 1540 Mercator Script was inspired by an alphabet of Gerardus Mercator, who is known for his maps as well as his Literarum Latinarum, quas Italicas cursoriasque vocant, scribendarum ratio (1540).
- 1543 Humane Petreius (2012) was inspired by the typeface used in Nuremberg by Johannes Petreius for De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium, the well-known mathematical and astronomical essay by Nicolas Copernicus.
- 1543 German Deluxe (2009): a Schwabacher inspired by the sets of fonts used in 1543 by Michael Isengrin, printer in Basel, to print New Kreüterbuch, which is a book with numerous nice pictures, the masterpiece of Leonhart Fuchs, father of the modern botany.
- 1543 HumaneJenson-Bold (2008, after the face used in Vesalius' 1543 book De humani corporis fabrica).
- 1543 HumaneJenson-Normal (2008, same source).
- 1545 Faucheur (2011) is a rough garalde face that was inspired by the set of fonts used in Paris by Ponce Rosset, aka Faucheur, to print the story of the second travel to Canada by Jacques Cartier, first edition, printed in 1545.
- 1546 Poliphile (2009), nspired by the French edition of Hypnerotomachie de Poliphile ("The Strife of Love in a Dream") attributed to Francesco Colonna, 1467, and printed in 1546 in Paris by Jacques Kerver.
- 1550 Arabesques (2008, caps).
- 1557 Civilité Granjon (2010).
- 1557 Italique (2008, based on Italic type used by Jean de Tournes in Lyon to print La métamorphose d'Ovide figurée).
- 1565 Renaissance (2010), inspired by French renaissance decorated letters.
- 1565 Venetian Normal (2008, initial decorated letters that are entirely original, but were inspired by Italian renaissance engraver Vespasiano Amphiareo's patterns published in Venice ca. 1568).
- 1584 Rinceau (2008, a set of initial letters is an entirely original creation, inspired by French renaissance patterns used by Bordeaux printers circa 1580-1590).
- 1584 Pragmatica Lima (2011). Based on fonts used in 1584 by Antonio Ricardo to produce the first publication ever printed in Southern America.
- 1585 Flowery (2009): inspired by French renaissance decorated letters.
- 1589 Humane Bordeaux (2008, inspired by the Garamond fonts used by S. Millanges (imprimeur ordinaire du Roy) in Bordeaux ca. 1580-1590. The alphabets were used to reprint L'instruction des curés by Jean Gerson).
- 1590 Humane Warszawa is a rough-edged garalde face inspired by a font carved circa 1590 for a Polish editor.
- 1592 GLC Garamond (2008, inspired by the pure Garamond set of fonts used by Egenolff and Berner, German printers in Frankfurt, at the end of sixteen century. Considered the best and most complete set at the time. The italic style is Granjon's).
- 1610 Cancellaresca (2008, inspired by the Cancellaresca moderna type of 1610 by Francesco Periccioli who published it in Sienna).
- 1613 Basilius (2012) was based on the hand-drawn types used by Basilius Besler (Germany) for the carved plates of his botanical manual Hortus eystettensis.
- 1621 GLC Pilgrims (2010).
- 1634 René Descartes (2009), based upon his handwriting in a letter to Mersenne.
- 1638 Civilité Manual (2010). Inspired by a French solicitor's document dated 1638.
- GLC 1648 Chancellerie (2011). Inspired by the hand-written 1648 Munster peace treaty signed by roi Louis XIV and Kaiser Ferdinand II.
- 1651 Alchemy (2010): a compilation created from a Garamond set in use in Paris circa 1651.
- GLC 1669 Elzevir (2011) was inspired by the font faces used in Amsterdam by Daniel Elzevir to print Tractatus de corde, the study of earth anatomy by Richard Lower, in 1669. The punchcutter was Kristoffel Van Dijk.
- GLC 1672 Isaac Newton (2012) is based on the hand of Isaac Newton.
- GLC Morden Map (2011). Based on an engraved typeface used on a pack of playing cards published by Sir Robert Morden in 1676.
- 1682 Writhed Hand: very irregular handwriting.
- 1689 GLC Garamond Pro (2010): inspired by Garamond fonts used in an edition of Remarques critiques sur les oeuvres d'Horace by DAEP, published in Paris by Deny Thierry and seprately by Claude Barbin.
- 1689 Almanach (2009): inspired by the eroded and tired fonts used by printers from the sixteenth century to the early years of twentieth for cheap or fleeting works, like almanacs, adverts, gazettes or popular novels.
- 1695 Captain Flynt.
- 16th Arabesques (2008, an exquisite ornamental caps scanfont).
- 1715 Jonathan Swift (2011). An example of the hand of Irish poet and novelist Jonathan Swift (1667-1745). It is a typical exemple of the British quill pen handwriting from about 1650-1720.
- GLC 1726 Real Espanola (2012). Based on the set of typefaces used by Francisco Del Hierro to print the first Spanish language Dictionary from the Spanish Royal Academy (Real Academia Española, Dictionario de Autoridades) in 1726. These transitional styles are said to have been the first set of official typefaces in Spain.
- 1741 Financiere (2009): inspired by the Fournier's font Financière. While it appears handwritten, it was in fact carved in 1741 by Pierre Simon Fournier le jeune and published in his Manuel Typographique in Paris (1764-1766).
- 1742 Frenchcivilite (2008).
- 1751 GLC Copperplate (2009), a 6-style family about which Gilles says: This family was inspired by an engraved plate from Diderot&Dalembert's Encyclopedia (1751), illustrating the chapter devoted to letter engraving techniques. The plate bears two engravers names: "Aubin" (may be one of the four St Aubin brothers?) and "Benard" (whose name is present below all plates of the Encyclopedia printed in Geneva). It seems to be a transitional type, but different from Fournier or Grandjean.
- 1756 Dutch (2011).
- 1776 Independence (inspired mainly from the font used by John Dunlap in the night of 1776 July 4th in Philadelphia to print the first 200 sheets of the Congress' Declaration of Independence establishing the United States of America).
- 1781 La Fayette (2010): a formal bâtarde coulée script with caitals inspired by Fournier (1781).
- 1785 GLC Baskerville (2011). Le Corre explains: The Baskerville's full collection was bought by the French editor and author Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais who used it to print---in Switzerland---for the first time the complete work of Voltaire (Best known as the Kehl edition, by the "Imprimerie de la société littéraire typographique"). We have used this edition, with exemplaries from 1785, to reconstruct this genuine historical two styles.
- 1786 GLC Fournier (2010), based on several books printed in Paris just before the Didot era set in. The Titling characters are based on hymns printed by Nicolas Chapart.
- 1790 Royal Printing (2009): inspired by various variants of Romain du Roy.
- 1791 Constitution (2011).
- 1792 La Marseillaise (2011). Based on the original manuscript of the French revolutionary song La Marseillaise which later became the French national hymn---it was composed in one night (April 25, 1792) by captain Rouget de Lisle.
- 1805 Austerlitz Script Light: a typical French handwriting style from that period, named after one of the few battles that Napoleon actually won.
- 1805 Jaeck Map (2011). Inspired by the engraved characters of a German map, edited in Berlin at the end of 1700s. The engraver was Carl Jaeck or Jaek (1763-1808).
- 1809 Homer (2011), a grungy face named after the "homer" message pigeons.
- 1815 Waterloo (2008): a handwriting face originating in Napoleon's government. Why do I feel that GLC is nostalgic for the era of Napoleon? Their own present dwarf-version of Napoleon is not exactly a huge success.
- 1820 Modern (2009) was inspired by a didone font used in Rennes by Cousin-Danelle, printers, for a Brittany travel guide.
- 1822 GLC Caslon (2010): inspired by a Caslon set used by an unknown Flemish printer from Bruges, in the beginning of 1800s, a little before the revival of the Caslon style in the 1840s.
- 1845 Mistress (2009): calligraphic script.
- 1848 Barricades Italic, a quill pen italic.
- 1859 Solferino (2009).
- 1863 Gettysburg (2008; inspired by a lot of autographs, notes and drafts, written by President Abraham Lincoln, mainly the Gettysburg address).
- 1864 GLC Monogram Initials (2011) was inspired by a French portfolio containing about two hundred examples of Chiffres---deux lettres, created for engravers and jewelers in Paris in 1864, and drawn by French engraver C. Demengeot.
- 1871 Victor Hugo (2011). Based on manuscripts from the final part of the life of Victor Hugo (1802-1885).
- 1871 Whitman Script (2008) and 1871 Dreamer Script (2008): inspired by manuscripts by American poet Walt Whitman. See also 1871 Dreamer 2 Pro (2012).
- 1880 Kurrentschrift (2010): German handwriting, based on late medieval cursive. It is also known as "Alte Deutsche schrift" ("Old German script"). This was taught in German schools until 1941.
- 1883 Fraktur (2009): inspired by fonts used by J. H. Geiger, printer in Lahr, Germany.
- 1885 Germinal: based on notes and drafts written by Émile Zola (1840-1902).
- GLC 1886 Romantic Initials (2012).
- 1890 Registers Script (2008): inspired by the French "ronde".
- 1890 Notice (2009): a fat didone family.
- 1902 Loïe Fuller (art nouveau face).
- 1906 Fantasio (2010): inspired by the hatched one used for the inner title and many headlines by the popular French satirical magazine Fantasio (1906-1948).
- 1906 French News: a weathered Clarendon-like family based on the fonts used by Le Petit Journal, a French newspaper that ran from 1863 until 1937.
- 1906 Fantasio Auriol (2010), inspired by the set of well known Auriol fonts used by the French popular satirical magazine Fantasio (1906-1948).
- 1906 Titrage (2009): a didone headline face from the same newspaper.
- Underwood 1913 (2007, an old typewriter font, whose commercial version is Typewriter 1913), and 1913 Typewriter Carbon (2008).
- 1920 French Script Pro (2010).
- 1925 My Toy Print Deluxe Pro (2010): inspired by rubbert stamp toy print boxes called Le petoit imprimeur.
- 1968 GLC Graffiti (2009).
- 1917 Stencil (2009; with rough outlines).
- 1920 My Toy Print (2010, grunge).
- 2010 Dance of Death (2010): based on Hans Holbein's Alphabet of Death.
- 2010 Pipo Classic: a grungy typewriter slab serif family.
- 2011 Slimtype (2011) and 2011 Slimtype Sans (2011): an old typewriter typeface.
[Frederic William Goudy]
List of Goudy's typefaces, with dates, compiled by Paulo W. 1869 Camelot. 1897 Unnamed, A Display Roman. 1898 DeVinne Roman. 1902 Pabst Roman. 1903 Pabst Italic, Powell, Village. 1904 Cushing Italic, Boston News Letter, Engravers Roman. 1905 Copperplate Gothics, Caxton Initials, Globe Gothic Bold, Caslon Revised. 1908 Monotype No. 38-e, Monotype No. 38-e Italic. 1910 Norman Capitals. 1911 Kennerley Old Style, Kennerley Open Caps, Forum Title. 1912 Sherman, Goudy Lanston. 1914 Goudy Roman. 1915 Klaxon, Goudy Old Style, Goudy Old Style Italic. 1916 Goudy Cursive, Booklet Old Style, National Old Style (often used in silent movies), Goudytype. 1917 Advertisers Roman, An Unnamed Design. 1918 Kennerly Italic, Cloister Initials, Hadriano Title, Goudy Open, Goudy Modern. 1919 Collier Old Style, Goudy Modern Italic, Goudy Open Italic, Goudy Antique. Mac McGrew about Collier Old Style: Collier Old Style was designed by Frederic W. Goudy in 1919 as a private type for Proctor&Collier, a Cincinnati advertising agency, which had its own printing plant. Matrices were engraved by Robert Wiebking. Goudy has remarked that this face "seemed to me to give a quality akin to hat given by William Morris's Golden type without, however, imitating that famous letter." Fonts were apparently cast for Goudy by ATF, for these matrices were among those given by ATF to the Graphic Arts Division of the Smithsonian Institution in 1970, and used for a special revival casting in 1982 by the Out of Sorts Letter Foundery. 1921 Nabisco, Lining Gothic, Garamont, Garamont Italic, Goudy Newstyle. Mac McGrew: National Oldstyle was designed by Frederic W. Goudy for ATF in 1916. It is based on lettering he had done about fifteen years earlier for National Biscuit Company, hence the name. It was moderately popular for a while for publication and advertising display work, and for titles for silent motion pictures. Compare Nabisco. 1924 Goudy Italic, Italian Old Style, Italian Old Stlye Italic, Kennerlry Bold, Kennerley Bold Italic. 1925 Goudy Heavy Face, Goudy Heavy Face Italic, Marlborough, Venezia Italic. 1926 Aries [image by Nikolas Matses]. 1927 Goudy Dutch, Companion Old Style, Companion Old Style Italic, Deepdene, Record Title, Goudy Uncials. 1928 Deepdene Italic, Goudy Text. 1929 Strathmore Title, Lombardic Capitals, Sans Serif Heavy, Kaatskill, Remington Typewritter. 1930 Inscription Greek, Trajan Title, Sans Serif Light, Mediaeval, Hadriano Lower-case, Advertisers Modern, Goudy Stout, Truesdell. 1931 Truesdell Italic, Deepdene Open Text, Deepdene Text, Ornate Title, Sans Serif Light Italic, Deepdene Medium. 1932 Goethe, Franciscan, Deepdene Bold, Mostert, Village No. 2, Quinan Old Style, Goudy Bold Face, Goudy Book. 1933 Goudy Hudson, Goethe Italic, Deepdene Bold Italic. 1934 Saks Goudy, Saks Goudy Italic, Saks Goudy Bold, Hadriano Stone Cut, Village Italic, Hasbrouck. 1935 Tory Text, Atlantis, Millvale. 1936 Bertham, Pax, Mercury, Sketches Unnamed, Sketches Unnamed. 1937 Friar. 1938 University of California O.S., University of California Italic, New Village Text, Murchison. 1939 Bulmer. 1941 Scripps College Old Style. 1942 Goudy Thirty. 1943 Spencer Old Style, Spencer Old Style Italic. 1944 Hebrew, Scripps College Italic, Marlborough Text. [Google]
Coauthor with Paul Carlyle of Letters and Lettering (1938). This book was a big source of inspiration for Nick Curtis. For example, he created the typeface Shishka Bob NF (2005) based on the experimental calligraphy in that book. TaraBulbous NF (2008) is a fat-lettered font by Nick Curtis, also based on Carlyle-Oring lettering. Guinness Extra Stout NF (1999, Nick Curtis) is also based on a Carlyle-Oring script. Kynges X NF (2004, Nick Curtis) is a blackletter semi-Lombardic face based on other work by Carlyle and Oring. Dathan Boardman made Afternoon Tea (2010) based on an art deco design from the book. Anton Scholtz created the art deco typeface Nocturne in 2012 based on work by Carlyle and Oring. The caps in Astoria Titling (Nick Curtis) are based on a 1938 typeface by Carlyle and Oring. [Google]
Hellmut G. Bomm
Henric Pieterszoon Lettersnijder
Aka Henric Pieterszoon. Dutch letter cutter ("lettersnijder"), d. ca. 1511. He made a textura some time before 1492
Sixteenth Century Printing Types of the Low Countries (H.D.L. Vervliet, 1968) mentions that he was from Rotterdam, and cut letters. Occasionally, he printed as well, in Antwerp from 1496-ca. 1500, in Rotterdam from 1504-1509, and in Delft from 1508 until some time after 1511. It is estimated that he cut a third to half of all the type used in the Low Countries at that time. These typefaces, including the Textura, remained popular there from 1492 until about 1550-1560, when they were superseded by the blackletter type of Ameet Tavernier and Hendrik van den Keere. His son was Cornelis Henricszoon Lettersnijder, who also cut type, starting out in Delft.
Digitizations: Oude Hollandse (2012, Alter Littera; after Henric Pieterszoon "Lettersnijder"'s 1492 typeface), Initials Gothic C (2012, Alter Littera, based on a 1508 type by Pieterszoon), English textura. [Google]
[Hellmut G. Bomm]
HGB is Helmut G. Bomm's design studio in Backnang. Bomm was born in 1948 in Backnang, Baden-Württemberg. Stuttgart-based type designer who publishes his type designs with Linotype and URW++.
Catalog of some of his typefaces. These include Linotype Nautilus (1999, humanistic sans), Linotype Humanistika (1997), Linotype Invasion (2002), Linotype Invasion Animals (2002), Linotype Männeken Outline and Black (2002, funny guys, part of TakeType 4), Legal (2004, a 6-weight sans family that grew out of his HGB Grotesk which he made in the 1970s), Linotype Scott Venus (1999), Linotype Scott Mars (1999, the latter two are alien script-like faces). At URW++, he made HGB Lombardisch (2008, an uncial), Klassika (2004, a sans family with a nice 3d version, Klassika Bronze; probably the same as HGB Klassika), Rotata Mysticons (2004), Baldur Seventy (2004), Rotate Klassik (2004), Rotate Modern (2004), Rotate Nouveau (2004), Bommi Carbon, Jazz Ragtime, Solo Mita, Solo Data, Bommi Oxygen, HGB Grotesk (2005, geometrical sans family), Schillerplatz (2008, URW++: a condensed didone face), Joga (2008, URW++: a stylish theatre headline face, art deco), Linotype Nautilus Text and Nautilus Monoline Text (2009), Neudoerffer Fraktur (2009, Linotype). Runs a graphics studio in Backnang. Exposition of his work in 2004 (site includes a bio). [Google]
Identifont lists fonts related to Lombardic Capitals. [Google]
Ingrimayne Type (was: The Bovine Rebellion)
Ingrimayne Type was established in 1988 by Robert Schenk to sell his fonts via the web and via CDs such as the No-Hype Type CD (2500 typefaces in trueType and PostScript, with mostly original typefaces). Robert Schenk (b. 1946, Minnesota) lives in Rensselaer, IN. Before Ingrimayne, Schenk's type was distributed by Wayzata Technology. Free fonts at his site included Red Letter, Zirkle, Sallonext, Zarrow, Serpent.
Specimen book. Alternate URL.
Dingbat fonts: XPhyngern (1990, pointing fingers), XPointedDesert and XSimpleHands (1994, more fists), Schneeflaken (two snow fonts, now available as XSchneeFlaken), ComputerBugz (nice butterflies, now available as XCompuTerBuggz), Galaxies (around the theme of the sun and stars), GlitzyFlash (1990), Grandecort (1994), LeakOrLeach (1995), Baumfuss (1990), LeafMeAlone (leaves), StarsAndStripes, StarPieces, Fingers, SimpleHands, PointedDesert, IngyDing (1996, 3 dingbat fonts in the style of Zapf Dingbats; in 2010 overhauled into one 1400-ornament monster face, Ingy Ding MCD, containing smilies, arrows, Zapfian ornaments, dice, chess pieces, fists, weather dingbats, and so forth), IngyDingLeftovers.
A list of fonts:
- A: Aabced-Bold-Italic, Aabced-Bold, Aabced-Italic, Aabced-Regular, Aabced, AabcedBold, AabcedBoldItalic, AabcedExtraBold, AabcedItalic, AabcedRoman, AabcedXBold-Bold, AabcedXBold, Abagail-Regular, AbagailJackson, AccruedInterest, AcornSwash-Regular, AcornSwash, AcornSwashAltern-Regular, AcornSwashAltern, AcornSwashRoman, Accrued Interest, Albert Betenbuch (blackletter), AlbertBetenbuchExtrude, AllSmiles, AmericanMorseCodeIT, AnarckWarp, Anarckhie, AnarckhieBold, AnarckhieBoldItalic, AnarckhieDecayed, AnarckhieItalic, AnarckhieJiggled, AnarckhieRagged, AnarckhieShadow, AndrewAndreasBold, AndrewAndreasPlain, AndrewAndreasXBold, Andrew Andy College (athletic lettering), AndrewAndyKactus, AndrewAndyStencil, AndrewAndyStencilBold, AndyEight, AntsyPantsy, ArgentBobSquish, Argenta, ArgentaBobbWig, ArgentaBobbed, ArgentaBold, ArgentabObbed, Asterx-Regular, Asterx, Auldroon-Regular, Auldroon (blackletter), AndrewAndyKactus, AntsyPantsy.
- B: Baker Half (2004, an experimental hexagonally designed family), Balboat-Regular, BalboatBold, BalboatPlain, Barefoot, BaumSquiggle, Baumfuss-Regular, Baumfuss, BaumfussTwo-Regular, BaumfussTwo, BearButteTBold, BearButteTBoldItalic, BearButteTItalic, BearButteTPlain, BearButteTSpecial, BeastlyFont, Bene, BeneCryptExtrude, BeneCryptine-Regular, BeneCryptine (blackletter), BeneCryptineDistorted, BeneScriptine-Regular, BeneScriptine (blackletter), BetterEuroika, BetterEuroikaBold, BetterEuroikaBoldItalic, BetterEuroikaHybrid, BetterEuroikaHybridBold, BetterEuroikaItalic, BetterIngriana, BetterIngrianaBold, BetterIngrianaBoldItalic, BetterIngrianaHybrid, BetterIngrianaHybridBold, BetterIngrianaItalic, BetterKamp, BetterKampBold, BetterKampBoldItalic, BetterKampItalic, BetterTypeRightBold, BetterTypeRightBoldItalic, BetterTypeRightItalic, BetterTypeRightMedium, BetterTypeRightPlain, BetterTypeRightThin, BetterTypeRightThinItalic, BetterTypeRiteSpec, BetterTypeRiteSpecBold, Big-Regular, BigBottom, Bigtop-Regular, Bigtop, Bilevel, BiteOfApple, Bizaro, BizaroRES, Blockboys, Bluster Left, BobsExtraPictures, BobsStandardChess, Bouncer, Bowling, BringInTheFrowns, Brrrrr-Regular, Brrrrr, BuggyFont, BumberShoot.
- C: Cennerik-Bold, Cennerik-Regular, Cennerik, CennerikBold, CennerikEBold, CennerikExtraBold, CennerikPlain, CennerikSpiked, CennerikXBold-Bold, ChainLetterOne, ChainLetterTwo, CheckMateRES, ChessNut, ChessNutTwo, Chessterton, ChesstertonTwo, Circlet, CoffeeMug, CompassOne, CompuTerBuggz, ConcavWarp, ConcavexCaps, ConcavexCapsWave, ConcavexStepper, CoughingNails, Court-Regular, CourtGesture, CourtJesterFrizzy, CrippledFont, CuthbMangle, CuthbeNick, Cuthbert.
- D: DavidBurry, DavidFarewell, DavidFarewellBold, David Farewell Stencil, Dear John, Demotte-Bold, Demotte-Regular, Demotte, DemotteBold, DemotteWarp, Dinner-Regular, Dinner, Dottie, DrivEddie, Dschoyphul.
- E: EdsDream, EdwardEdwinBold, EdwardEdwinPlain (1994, copperplate script), Eldroon, Erkball, ErkballBold, Euroika-Bold-Italic, Euroika-Bold, Euroika-Italic, Euroika-Regular, EuroikaBold, EuroikaBoldItalic, EuroikaItalic, EuroikaKamp, EuroikaKampBold, EuroikaKampBoldItalic, EuroikaKampItalic, EuroikaRoman, Euroika, Eyebel, EyebelBold, EyebelRuff.
- F: FansiPensle (1990, connected signage script), FansiPensleBold, FansiPenslePlain, FansiPensleTwo, FansiPensleTwoBold (1990), FansiPensleTwoPlain, Febdrei, FebdreiBold, Federhozen-Bold-Italic, Federhozen-Italic, Federhozen-Regular, Federhozen, FederhozenBold, FederhozenBoldItalic, FederhozenItalic, FederhozenPlain, FeggoliteDancing, FeggoliteDancingItalic, FeggoliteHatched, FeggoliteKeyed, FeggoliteMonoBold, FeggoliteMonoPlain, FeggoliteRuffled, Fezdaz, Fishhook, FiveOhOne, FiveOhTwo, FlagDayFour, FlagDayOne, FlagDayThree, FlagDayTwo, Fly High, FlyHighBold, FlyHighBoldItalic, FlyHighItalic, ForTheBirds, FourJuly, FourJulyG, FourJulyH, Framo-Regular.
- G: GLitzy, GLitzyBarbed, GLitzyPlain-Regular, GLitzyStripe, GLitzyVStriped, Galexica-Bold-Italic, Galexica-Bold, Galexica-Italic, Galexica-Regular, Galexica, GalexicaBold, GalexicaBoldItalic, GalexicaExtraBold, GalexicaItalic, GalexicaMono-Bold, GalexicaMono-Regular, GalexicaMono, GalexicaMonoBold, GalexicaMonoPlain, GalexicaPlain, GalexicaXBold-Bold, GlitzyCurl-Regular, GlitzyCurl, GlitzyFlash-Regular, GlitzyFlash, GlitzyJewel-Regular, GlitzyJewel, Gothamburg (blackletter), GothamburgBold, GothamburgShadowed, GothicHorror, GothicRock, GranCanaries, GrancMitSripes, GrandecortBold, GrandecortHoly, GrandecortMedium, GrandecortShadow, GretchenHelloBold, GretchenHelloPlain, Grundee.
- H: Hammered, HandanaBold, HandanaPlain, HandmadeFont, HeartMatrixed, Hermainita, HermainitaBold, HermainitaPlain, HeyPumkin, HippityDippityBold, HippityDippityInline, HippityDippityPlain.
- I: IanSegoe, IggoliteMono, IngBurried, IngDingLeftover, Ingone, IngoneSaw, IngoneShadow, IngrianEuroikHybrid, IngrianEuroikHybridBold, IngrianEuroikaH, IngrianEuroikaHBold, IngrianEuroikaHBoldItalic, IngrianEuroikaHItalic, Ingriana, IngrianaBold, IngrianaBoldItalic, IngrianaCasual, IngrianaCasualBold, IngrianaCasualBoldItalic, IngrianaCasualItalic, IngrianaCasualPlain, IngrianaExtraBold, IngrianaItalic, IngrianaPlain, IngyArrows, IngyArrowsTwo, IngyDingThree, IngyDings, InsideLetters, InternationalMorseCodeIT, IrritationOne, IrritationTwo.
- J: JabcedHy, JabcedHyBold, JabcedHyBoldItalic, JabcedHyItalic, JasperSqueeze, JasperSqueezeBold, JasperSqueezeBoldItalic, JasperSqueezeEB, JasperSqueezeEBItalic, JasperSqueezeItalic, JenneriCurved, Jennerik, JennerikBold, JennerikExtraBold, JennerikInfml-Bold, JennerikInfml, JennerikInfmlBold, JennerikInfmlExtraBold, JennerikInfmlPlain, JennerikInfmlXBold, JennerikRoman, Jester, JesterRES (Tuscan), JesterTwo (Tuscan), Jestres, JetJanBoldItalicGray, JetJaneButton, JetJaneMonoBold, JetJaneMonoBoldItalic, JetJaneMonoCapsBold, JetJaneMonoCapsPlain, JetJaneMonoCapsThin, JetJaneMonoItalic, JetJaneMonoPlain, JetJaneMonoThinBook, JetJaneMonoThinItalic.
- K: KampFriendshipBold, KampFriendshipBoldItalic, KampFriendshipItalic, KampFriendshipPlain, KampIngrianaH, KampIngrianaHBold, KampIngrianaHBoldItalic, KampIngrianaHItalic, KampIngrianaHybrid, KampIngrianaHybridBold, KampRipple, Karlisbad, KiddyChessFont, KlipJoint, Knaudens-Regular, Knaudens, Kneebls, KneeblsBold, KneeblsExtruded, KneeblsPlain, KneeblsRuffled, KneeblsThin, KnewFont, KnewFontBold, KnewFontJagged, KnewFontPlain, KnewFontWaisted, KnewFontWaistedBold, KnightMares, KolSpotted, KolStriped, KolkFizzy, Kolkman-Bold, KolkmanDimly, KolkmanGray, KolkmanShatter, KolkmanStriped, Kwersity, KwersityBold, KwersityWider, KwersityWiderBold, Kwodsity, KyhotaBarbed, KyhotaOne, KyhotaTwo.
- L: LaserTrain, LaserTrainBold, LastBigFling, LastBigFlingBold, LastMinuteChess, Laudens, LeakorLeach, LeakorLeachLeft, LeefMeAlone, LeefMeAloneHoles, LeekorLeech, Letrinth, LetterTrain-Regular, LetterTrain, LetterTrainBold, LetterTrainBoldItalic, LetterTrainItalic, LetterTrainPlain, Lettergical (1994, blackletter with Lombardic capitals), LettergicalWave, LetunicalBold, LetunicalInline, LetunicalNormal, LetunicalShadow, LetunicalWarp, Library-Italic, Library-Regular, Life After College (2008, athletic lettering family), LineDrive, LineDriveBold, LineDriveOutlined, LineDrivePlain, LineDriveShadow.
- M: MITuscan, MMCheckered, MMDrawings, MMPattern, Mangaled, Masheen (1990, octagonal font), MasheenBold, MasheenConvicted, MasheenFlag, MasheenIIID, MasheenOutlined, MatthewTwo, MattsFastFont, MedicineShelf, MedievalGunslinger, MedievalGunslingerShadow, Minimalist-Regular, Minimalist, Minniesoda, MinniesodaBold, Modsten-Bold, Modsten-Regular, Modsten (stencil, 1990), ModstenBold, ModstenRoman, MoreTexture, MousyFont, MushmellowBold, MushmellowCactus, MushmellowOutline, MushmellowPlain, MuskitosCaps, MuskitosCapsShadDown, Myhota, MyhotaBarbed, MyhotaBold, MyhotaHatched, MyhotaHatchedBold, MyhotaPlain, MyhotaWithSpikes.
- N: NailsNStaples, NairobiNormal, NeedALilly, NerdishHex, NerdishHexBold, Neu Altisch (blackletter), NeuAltischBold, NeuAltischGray, NeuAltischPlain, NeuAltischShadLeft, NeuAltischShadow, NeuAltischWormEaten, NeuropolMedium, NewLaudens, NewLibrary, NewLibraryItalic, NewNerdShadowed, NewNerdishBold, NewNerdishPlain, NewNerdishThin, NoPainRight, NoPainRightBold, NopainLeft, NopainLeftBold.
- O: OakParkAve, OakParkAvePlain, OakParkBlvdPlain, OakParkExtruded, OakParkSpeckled, OakParkSquaRe, OakParkZiggy, OakParksTripped, Old Harold Ree (1992, a modification of PhederFract, which was a calligraphic fraktur face also by Schenk), OldHaroldReeBold, OldHaroldReePlain, Onyon (1997).
- P: PastedWarp, PattyDay, PawnShop, Pedestrian, PencilFat, PencilIn, PencilOut, PensleCaligraf-Bold, PensleCaligraf-Regular, PensleCaligraf, PensleCaligrafBold, PensleCaligrafPlain, PeterPierreBold, PeterPierreCondensed, PeterPierrePlain, PeterPierreXBold, Pheder Frack (blackletter), PhederFrackBold, PhederFrackDtsh, PhederFrackDtshBold, PhederFrackDtshThin, PhederFrackPlain, PhederFrackShadowed, PhederFrackThin, PhrackCack, PhrackSle, PhrackSleBold, PhrackSlePlain, Phraxtured (blackletter), PhraxturedDeutsch, PhraxturedPlain, PhraxturedShadowed, Phyngern, Pigknot, PigknotBold, PlainPensle, PlainPensleBold, PlainPensleBoldItalic, PlainPensleItalic, PlainPenslePlain, PlainPensleXBold, PlainPensleXBoldItalic, Porker, PorkerGrey, PutMyFootDown, Pzytupid.
- Q: Qualettee, QualetteeBold, QualetteeMedium, Quatsity, Quidic, QuidicHatched, QuidicHoley, QuidicItalic, QuidicRoman, QuidicShotUp, Quirtly, Qwatick (1992), QwatickBold, QwatickPlacard.
- R: Ranger (1996, octagonal), RangerWider, Rankensteen, Rataczak-Regular, RataczakBold, RataczakBoldItalic, RataczakCandied, RataczakCondItalic, RataczakCondPlain, RataczakExtraBold, RataczakItalic, RataczakRoman, RataczakSwash, Rauchens, Razephu, Red-Regular, RedLetter, Renslaer, RoomingHouse, Rosary, RosaryBold, RoundUp, RoundUpBold, RoundUpShadow, RoundWhy, RoundWhyBold, RummageSaleOne, Rumpled, RundigPencilBold, RundigPencilMedium, RundigPencilNormal, Rundigsburg (1994), RundigsburgBold, RundigsburgMedium, RundigsburgPlain, RundigsburgShadowLeft, RundigsburgShadowRight.
- S: SafetyPinned, Salloon, SalloonAStripe, SalloonCracked, SalloonHStripe, SalloonStripeBottom, SalloonStripeEnds, SalloonStripeMiddle, SalloonStriped, Saloon-Regular, SaloonExt, SaloonFrilled, Sansville, SansvilleBold, SarahfSlob, SarahfSlobItalic, SchneeFlaken, SchneeFlakenTwo, Screwged, Sdrawkcab-Regular, Sdrawkcab, Seasick, SeasickBold, SeasickMirror, SeasickMirrorBold, SeasonsGreetings, SeederChess, SeederChessSmall, Sergury, Serpent-Regular, ShadyCharacters, ShirlyUJest, SimpleChessFont, Sirpent, Skagwae, SkagwaeMono, Skigway, SkwareDots, SlimpiSquares, SmokeHausShadow, SmokeHaus (1998), SmokeHouseRough, SmokeHouseShatter, SmokeHouseWave, Spicandspan, SquiggleRES, SquiggleRESBold, Stamper, Substance, SusiScript, SusiScriptBold, SusiScriptPlain, Swanville-Regular, Swanville, Swirlity, SwirlityBold, SwirlityScript, SwirlityText.
- T: Tescellations (2012), Tessie Dingies (2012), TOCinRings, TRGrunge, Tacky (2005), Talloween, TapedUp, Teapot (1999), Teethee, TexturesOne, TiedUp, Tieroh, TierohBold, TierohSans, TierohSansBold, Tinkerer, TiredOfCourier, TiredOfCourierBold, TiredOfCourierBoldItalic, TiredOfCourierItalic, TiredOfCourierPlain, TiredOfCourierThin, TiredOfCourierThinItalic, ToothBrush, TootsieBold, TuskcandyBold, TuskcandyInline, TuskcandyPlain, Twigglee-Regular, Twigglee (1990, inspired by the hand lettering on the plates in a 19th century book on ornaments by Owen Jones), TwiggleeBold, TwiggleePlain, TwiggleeWarped, TwoTonedStoned.
- U: UUeirdieBold, UUeirdieRoman, UUeirdieWarp, Unikled, UnikledBold, UnikledPlain, UnikledSpotted, UnivoxAtomLight, UpsideDown, UrbanScrawl.
- V: ValManGal, Valenteena, ValenteenaBroken, ValentinaContour, Valentine-Regular, Valgal, ValgalBold, Vglee, VunderScriptBold, VunderScriptPlain.
- W: WalcomeOne, WalcomeOneBold, Watchmaker, WatchmakerBold, WaterCloset, WaterWorksCaps (1992), WaterWorksCaps-Bold, WaterWorksCaps-Regular, WaterWorksCapsBold, WaterWorksCapsPlain, WeirdChessFont, Wetetque (1991, an all caps multiline family), WetetqueBold, WetetquePlain (1991), Whichit, WhichitBold, WhichitTwo, WhichitTwoBold, WrenchedLetters, WurstCactus, WurstHassen, WurstchenDotted, WurstchenOutlined, WurstchenSplatted, WyomingMacroni, WyomingMacroniPegged, WyomingMacroniShadRight, WyomingMacroniShadowed, Wyoming Pastad (1994, Western slab face), WyomingPastadShadLeft, WyomingPastadShadowed, WyomingSpaghettiBold, WyomingSpaghettiPlain, Wyoming Strudel (Far West type).
- X: XBobsExtraPictures, XBobsStandardChess, XChessNut, XChessNutTwo, XChesstertonTwo, XCompuTerBuggz, XGalaxies, XGalaxyOne, XIngDingLeftover, XIngyArrows, XIngyArrowsBetween, XIngyArrowsTwo, XIngyDingIII, XIngyDingTwo, XIngyDings, XInterntnlMorseCodeIT, XKiddyChessFont, XKnightMares, XLaserTrainBold, XLaserTrainPlain, XLastMinuteChess, XLeef Me Alone (leaf dingbats), XMMCheckered, XMMDrawings, XMMPattern, XMattsAnimalsOne, XMoreTexture, XPatColumRow, XPatCzeckerz, XPawnShop, XPhyngern (fists), XPointedDesert, XRoomingHouse, XSchneeFlaken (1995), XSchneeFlaken, XSchneeFlakenTwo, XSeederChess, XSeederChessSmall, XSimpleHands, XStarPieces, XStarsAndStripesOne, XStarsAndStripesTwo, XStellaStern, XStellaSternBright, XSternStellaNight, XTexturesOne, Xahosch, Xaltid, XaltidBold, XaltidPlain. The X fonts are predominantly dingbats.
- Y: YahoschBold, YahoschMedium, YahoschPlain, YahoschWormy, YngreEBStripe, Yngreena, YngreenaBold, YngreenaBoldItalic, YngreenaExtraBold, YngreenaItalic, YngreenaPlain, Youbee, YoubeeBold, YoubeeBoldItalic, YoubeeItalic, YoubeeShadow.
- Z: Zarrow-Regular, Zarrow, ZcriptBold, ZcriptPlain, Zebraw, ZebrawOS, ZimpleBlack, ZirkStressed, ZirkleOne-Bold, ZirkleOne-Regular, ZirkleOne, ZirkleOneBold, ZirkleOneRoman, ZumbelsburgBold, Zumbelsburg (blackletter, 1996).
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link.
View Robert Schenk's typefaces. View Ingrimayne's typeface library. [Google]
Design company in Brazil run by Paulo W (b. 1970) from Recife. Paulo W is a gaúcho (Brazilian southerner), with interests in multiple areas, including poetry (he has published the digital opus Magical Book), graphic design and, most recently, type design.
Dafont link. MyFonts. MyFonts link. Abstract Fonts link. YWFT link. Behance link. Blog. Home page. Fonthaus. Monotype. Eshops. Facebook. Flickr. Klingspor link. Wordpress. Devian tart. T26. Linkedin. Identifont. Linotype. ITC. Faces.co. His typefaces:
- Free fonts: CornPop Three (borders), Too Good To Be True (2013, retro script), Blanchard Inland (2013), Living Together (2013), Arresto (2013, brush script), Hertziano (2013, non-connected fat script), Japanese Tourist (2013), Nouveau Never Dies Free (2013), The Beat Goes On (2012, fifties script), Stencix (2012), Figgins Brute Trash (grunge), Fontaniolo Beveled (2011, ornamental caps), Czech Gotika (2011), Random Dingbats (2011), Victorian Free Ornaments (2011), Rustic (2011), Armorial (2011), Woman Silhouettes (2011), The Nile Song (2010, hieroglyphics), Smith Typewriter (2009), Sign Flags (2010, semaphore dingbats), Senectus Morbus (2010), MesoAmerica (2010, Indian symbols), ClassicSketches (2010, dingbats), Columns (2010, dingbats of Greek and Roman columns), EasyCuneiform (2010), EasyLombardicTwo (2010), EasyOpenFace (2010, blackboard bold style), Egidia (2010), Significante (2010, dingbats with, e.g., gender symbols), WhiteDominoes (2010, domino pieces), Easy Heraldics (2010), Intellecta Heraldics (2010), Heraldic Devices (2011), KidingsFree (2010, dingbats), RoughTuscan (2010), The French (2009, Fleur de Lys dings), AprendizCaligrafico (2010), Volitiva (2006, Trajan caps and chancery lower case, all based on work by Ludovico Vicentino Arrighi), Gaivota (2006), KurrentKupferstichThin (2006), PaulKlein (2010), PaulKleinTwo (2010), PortuguesArcaicoLectura (2005), ReproxScript (2009, based on Jerry Mullen's Repro Script from 1953-1954), RickGearyHomage (2007, scanbats), WestBalaio (2006, ornamental caps), Corto Maltese (2006, scanbats), Renaissance Coiffure (2006), Renaissance Ornaments (2007), Renaissance Shoes (2012, free), TTF Tattoef (2006, tattoo-inspired dingbats), ExperiTypo5 (2006), Lower Metal (2006), Geometric Serif PW (2006), Geometric (2006), Geometric Petras PW (2006), War II Warplanes (2005), Carbono (2005), Times New Vespasian (2005), BoldBold (2005), Vengeance (2005), Doppleganger (2005), Chancelaresca (2005), Cursivo Saxonio (2005), Gotische Minuskel 1269 (2005: a Kanzlei Schrift after Dekan Hermann zu Soest, 1269) and Guto Lacaz (2005, dingbats).
- Richard Gans revival project: Gans Tipo Adorno, Gans Lath Modern, Gans Titular Adornada (2006), Gans Ibarra (2006), Gans Antigua (2006), Gans Antigua Manuscrito (2006), Gans Radio Lumina (2006), Gans Fulgor (2006), Gans Carmem Adornada (2006), Gans Italiana (2006, extensive Italian-style slab serif family), Gans Titania (2007), Gans Titania Adornada (2007), Gans Titular (2007), Gans Gotico Globo (2007: 9 styles by Iza W), Gans Royality (2007: 3 styles by Iza W), Gans Headpieces (2008), Gans Rasgos Escritura (2010: filets---followed in 2011 by Rasgos Escritura Nuevos), Gan Esquinazos (2010, frames), Gans Blasones (2010, shields), Gans Neoclassic Fleurons (2008), Gans Classical Fleurons, Gans Ding.
- Wood-inspired faces: Dead Wood Rustic (2007), Taranatiritza (5 wood type styles, after William Hamilton Page), Majestade (2007, by Iza W---two Tuscan style faces), Decorative Tuscanian (2007), Concave Tuscan (2010, wood type), Palermo (2007, by Iza W---Tuscan style family), Teatro (2009, Tuscan), Bruce Double Pica (2009, Tuscan; the Beveled weight is free), Antique Extended (2010, slab serif wood type), Dark Wood (2009, gothic), Dark Wood Beveled (2011).
- Charles Bluemlein's script revivals: Bluelmin Kisaburo (2013), Bluelmin Ralph (2012), Bluelmin Ronald (2012), Bluelmin Sandsfort (2012) and Bluelmin Benedict (2012). (2012).
- Blackletter: Salterio (2012, +Trash, +Three, +Gradient, +Shadow, +Shadow Two), Leothric (2011, bastarda), Bruce 532 Blackletter (2011, after George Bruce), Schneider Buch Deutsch (2007, +Trash, +Shadowi, +Shadow Two), Schneidler halb fette Deutsch (2009, +Beveled), Schneidler Zierbuchstaben, Hostetler Fette Ultfraktur Ornamental (2007, blackletter caps), Gothic 16 CG (2007), Gothic 16 CG Decorative (2007, blackletter caps), Schneidler Grobe Gotisch (2008, Iza W, T-26), Allerlei Zierat (2008, ornament fonts based on a 1902 catalog of Schelter & Giesecke), Allerlei Zierat Capitals (2007), Psalter Gotisch (2009, a blackletter after the Benjamin Krebs blackletter face by the same name, ca. 1890), Münster-Gotische (2009, a blackletter family after a 1896 face by the same created by Schelter&Giesecke), Koberger N24 Schwabacher (2007), Student's Alphabet (2007, blackletter), Like Gutemberg Caps (2007), Nürnberg Schwabacher, Gotische Frame (2007: four framed blackletter styles by Iza W), Gotische (2007: ten ornate blackletter styles by Iza W), Gothic Garbage, Gothic Shadow, Gothic Trashed, Gothic Flourish (2009), Gotica Moderna (octagonal, blackletter), AltDeutsch (2007, four severe blackletter fonts by Iza W), Fin Fraktur, Gotische Bouffard, Heimat RGS, Gothic Handtooled Bastarda (2006), HostetlerFetteUltfrakturOrnamental (2007, blackletter caps), Gothic Handtooled Bastarda (2006).
- Historical revivals: Pantographia (2010: a digitization, as is, of several alphabets from Edmund Fry's Pantographia, 1799), Caslon2000, Caslon B, Delamotte Large Relief (2010), Figgins Brute (2007: 8 heavy Egyptian styles by Iza W based on Figgins' 1817 specimen book), Erased Figgins Brute (2007), Gras Vibert (2007, a didone family; followed by Gras Vibert Two in 2009).
- Erotic or human alphabets: American Way of Life (2011), oman Silhouettes (2011), Silvestre Weygel (2007, named after Martin Weygel'a erotic alphabet from 1560, which in turn was based on Peter Flötner's 1534 alphabet), Gravure (caps face made of human silhouettes), Innocence (2007, dingbats of girls).
- Medieval chancery hand: Portugues Arcaico (2005, three medieval handwriting styles), Kurrent Kupfertisch (2006, a medieval hand done with Fernanda Salmona), Dovtrina Christam 1622 (authentic old manuscript face), Catania (2007, exquisite medieval caps in 3 styles by Iza W).
- Typewriter faces: Remix Typewriter (2012), Smith Trash (2012), Neo Bulletin (2010, +Trash), Remington PW (old typewriter face), Olivetti Linea (old typewriter face), Erased Typewriter 2 (2007: 4 styles by Paulo W), RIP Typewriter (2009), Shadow Typewriter (2007), Underwood Typewriter (by Iza W).
- Calligraphic: Bradstone Parker Script (after Zaner's penmanship), Jan van den Velde Script (2011, based on the penmanship of Jan van den Velde as illustrated in vna den Velde's 1605 book Spieghel der schrijfkonste; developed jointly by Paulo and Iza W), Penabico (2010, with Iza W); Penabico is a free interpretation of the copperplate script styles to be found in the Universal Penman, London, 1741, by George Bickham---it contains over 1500 calligraphic glyphs and 250 ornaments. Samples of Penabico: i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix), Easy Calig, Intellecta Mixed Script (2008), Spencerian Constancia (2008), Calligraphia Latina Soft4 (2010, quilled ornaments), Intellecta Script commercial (2009), Spencerian By Product (2009), Spencerian Palmer Penmanship Pro (2010), Indenture English Penman (2010), Calligraphia Latina (2008-2010, in weights called Soft2, Dense, 3, Soft4, Mixed, Square Edition).
- Victorian, Edwardian: Engel (2007, by Iza W in 15 styles that have a 1870s look), Compendium (Victorian), Costado (2009, a Victorian / Western face).
- Ornamental caps: Doppel Mittel Lapidar Azure (2012), Musirte Antiqua (2012), The House of Usher (2012), Peterlon (2012), Dolphus Mieg Alphabet (2011, +Two), Dolphus Mieg Monograms (2011), Human Nature (2011), English Arabesque Revival 1900 (2011), Imprenta Royal Nonpareil (2011), XVI Century Shaw Woodcuts (2011), Ichweis Caps (2011), Cherubim Caps (2011), Rara Beleza (2011), Gothic 1880 Revival (2011), Angelicaps (2010), Unnamed Caps Two (2010), VertiCaps (2010) Rebimboca Caps (2010), Rebimboca Beveled (2012, free), Rebimboca Gradient (2012, free), Rebimboca Trash (2012, free), Rebimboca Outlined (2012, free), Republica Presente (2010), Speedball Metropolitan Caps (2010, after a design by Ross F. George), Nice Initials (2010), Morphelic (2010), DurerGotischCapitals (2010), Egmontian (2007, ornamental caps family), Saducismus Triumphatus (ornamental caps), Vogus (Victorian caps), Victorian Ornamental Capitals (2009) and Frompac 1889 Arabesque (2007) [both are classical arabesques published in Ludwig Petzendorfer's Schriften-Atlas. Eine Sammlung der wichtigsten Schreib- und Druckschriften aus alter und neuer Zeit nebst Initialen, Monogrammen, Mappen, Landeskarten und heraldischen Motiven fur die praktischen Zwecke des Kunstgewerbes, 1889], Lettrines Petin (+Ornée), Numa Initials (2006), Gradl Initialen, Vampirevich (2009, ornamental caps), Paulus Franck 1602 (2006, ornate caps), Geodec (2006, baroque caps), HostetlerFetteUltfrakturOrnamental (2007, blackletter caps), Cadels (2007, ornate caps by Iza W), Manuscript XIV Century (2007, by Iza W--four Lombardic caps), Merona (2007, by Iza W--ten Lombardic caps fonts), Selena (2007, by Iza W---ornate Victorian caps), Leyenda (great Victorian era ornamental caps), Mixed Capital Style (2007, caps), Lenda (2008, capitals), Kidnaped at Old Times (2008, ornamental caps, ransom note style), Mortised Capitals, Is Not ABrazilian Font (handprinted blackboard bold caps), Robur The Conqueror (2009, ornamental caps), Georgia Capitals (2009), Decadence avec Elegance (exaggerated ornamental caps).
- The American Advertise series: American Advertise No. 9 (2008), American Advertise No. 17 (2007, 19th century caps), American Advertise 018 and 019 (2008), American Advertise Square Series (2007), American Advertise 003 (2012), American Advertise 004 (2010), American Advertise 005 (2010), American Advertise 006 (2010, alphadings), American Advertise 007 (2010, ornamental caps).
- Ornaments, fleurons: Unpublished Ornaments Two (2013), Classix (2012), Cornucopia of dingbats (2012, +Two, +Three, +Four, +Five), Cornucopia of Ornaments (2013), Cornucopia Caligrafica (2012), Vintage Hands (2012), Human Silhouettes (2012), Easy Fleurons (2012), Floreale Two (2012), Neoclassic Fleurons Free (2011), Calligraphic Frames Soft (2011, +Two), Jugendstil Flowers Free (2011), Easy Ornaments (2011), Blasons (2011), Blasons Free (2012), Armorial (2011), Monograms Soft (2010, with Iza W), Easy Tiles (2010), Free Tiles (2010), Rough Fleurons Two (2010), Vegetable Breath (2010), Corn Pop Plus (2010), Mortised Fleurons (2010), Mortised Ornaments (2011), Mortised Ornaments Free Two (2013), Golden Times (2010), Stahlhelme und Kronen (2010), Rough Fleurons (2006), Nouveau Never Dies (2009, ornaments), GeodecBruceOrnamented6 (2006, after a sample from the Bruce Type Foundry), Grave Ornamental (2006), BlackOrnaments (2008), Hera Hedelix (2009, ornamental tiles), Mortised Ornaments (2009), Soft Fleurons (2007), Half Flower (2007), Frames 1 (2007, by Iza W), Flower Essences, Micro Fleurons (2009), Naturella (2009, leaf and grape dingbats by Iza W), Black Fleurons (2010), Easy Fleurons Two (2011), Intellecta Borders (2008, by Iza W), Intellecta Style (2007, borders).
- Fonts made before 2007: Bad Situation (2007, after a design by Freeman Delamotte from 1864), Benjamin Franklin (2007), Geodec Petras Enhanced (2006), Deutsche Poster (2006), FatFontGrotesk (2006), Orchis (2006, an art deco family by Iza W), Fantis (2006), Frompac (2006, with Iza W), Geodec Fog (2006), Intellecta Modern (2006), Intellecta Modern 2 (2006), Intellecta Romana Humanistica (2006), Advantage (2006, together with Iza W), Biza (2006, together with Iza W), Elegancy (2006, together with Iza W), Estiliza (2006, a sans family together with Iza W), Experitypo 4, Stairway to Heaven, Copperplate PW, Dings PW, Roger Dean, Gliphs PW, Luxeuil, Watchtower Bible 1965, Gabinete Portugues (11 fonts), Elara (2009), Xilografuras (dingbats), Beta, Alta, Paleolitica Nacional, Shakespeare Studs, Copperplate collection (5 fonts), Wine, Ampersamp, James Poem, Leal Conselheiro, Haeckel Enygma, Iza B, Of, Lementa (2006, ornate family), Pirates (dingbats), Wire Clip (2009), Divina Proportione (2009, dingbats), Tharagaverung (2007), Correo (2009, a nice manly bold face), Titivilus (2007, Roman lettering), Pirates De Luxe (2007, dingbats), Geodec Minuskel (2006), Geodec Spyral (2006), Copperplate Decorative (2006), Feosa (2006), Francesco Decorative (2006, Iza W), Geodec Petras Enhanced (2006), Ibarra Flourished (2006), Intellecta Decorative 017 (2006), Intellecta Decorative 018 (2006), Intellecta Slab Bold (2006), Kansas Decorative (2006), Pingente (2006), Sixties Living (2006), Caractere Doublet (2007), DeutschePosterSteinschrift (2007; by Iza W), GP Casual Script (2007), Colonia Portuguesa (2007), Contouration (2007), Deco Experiment 3 (2007), Floresco (2007), Flower Jars (2007, by Iza W---a very nice idea), Frutisis (2007), Intellecta Monograms (2007: 19 monogram fonts by Paulo W), Intellecta Monograms Random Sample (2012), Peloponeso (2007, by Iza W), Porcupine (2007, by Iza W), Southern Flight (2007, by Iza W---condensed), TTF TTTOEF 4 (2007, by Iza W---dingbats), GeodecBruceFlourished, HostetlerNormande, Victorian Ultra Parphernalia (2007), Angels (2007), Angels Free (2013), Mondrongo (2007), Oorlog (2007).
- Fonts in 2008: Das Riese (3d engraved caps, +Shadow), Economica (sans, T26), Antiqua Double 12, Bad Baltimore (+Beveled, +Typewriter), Calligraphia Latina (2008-2009, in weights called Soft2, Dense, 3, Mixed, Square Edition, Free), Fry's Alphabet, Grissom (bug dingbats, by Iza W), Latinish (by Iza W), Lettering Deco (by Iza W), Litho Romana Inland, Quadratta Serif (a slab serif by Fernando Diaz), TTF TATTOEF 7 (by Iza W).
- Fonts made in 2009: Eingraviert (engraved; scans: i, ii, iii), Eingraviert Beveled (2011), Greko Roman Oldstyle, Ortodoxa do oriente, Sans Square, Speedball (by Iza W, Victorian style), Speedball Western Letters (after Ross F. George's lettering), Elara (2009), Intellecta Roman Tall, Force Brute & Ignorance, Sunamy Caps, Starret, The Pilgrim (alphadings), Renaisperian (alphadings), Real Caps Two, Mateus Bold (4 bold styles), Intellecta Crafts (arts and crafts family), Bruce 1490, Bradley Dingies (five dingbat faces, after William H. Bradley), Allerlei Zierat Renaissance, Grave Plus, the grungy Monkey series (Victorian Monkey, Monkey Poesy, Monkey Messed Gutenberg Caps, Monkey Was Here, Monkey Insinuation, Monkey In The Middle Ages), Montezuma (dingbats), Grotesque and Arabesque, Calhambeque (old car dingbats), Eiger (2009, a 3d sketched headline face).
- Faces made in 2010: Polen, Pencraft (capitals were inspired in Swagger Capitals, an original design from Carl Stephen Junge, at Barnhart Brothers & Spindler; lowercase based Pencraft Specials, an ornamental variation of the Pencraft Oldstyle series, as displayed in the BBS catalog from 1922), Salamemingoe (children's hand), BarberPoles, Beware the neighbors (scary), BlackInitialText, CaligrafiaDivina, CornPop, CowboyHippie Pro, Grotesca3-D, Nardis, Senzacuore, Speedball Metropolitan Poster (2010, after a design by Ross F. George), TagWood, Tosca, TypographyTribute, Zooland, Bubbleboddy-Fat, bubbleboddylight-Light, Pretoria Gross (a Victorian family done with Iza W), Wood Font Five, Wood Font Four, Herr Foch (art nouveau), Rebimboca, Octagon French (a 3d beveled face due to George Nesbitt, 1838), Picuxuxo (retro futuristic, comic book style), Large Old English Riband, Ornamental Riband, Kidings (Dutch dingbats), Hostil (originally done in 2007: a headline family; followed by Hostil Shadow Two (free, 2012) and Hostil Gradient (free, 2012)), Grotesca, Heptagon French, Antiquariaat (condensed), Cortinado, Sanoxio (3d headline face), Violentia (grunge), Swirlies (spiral dings).
- Faces from 2011: Dia de los Muertos (fantastic skeletal masks), Inland Becker, Rasgos Escritura Nuevos, Jaggard Two, Naive Ornaments Black, Augustus (+Beveled: roman letters), Sayonara (oriental simulation face; the Beveled style is free), Trash Barusa (inline ornamental face), Free Ribbons, Black Ornaments Three, Calligraphia Latina Soft 5, Heraldic Devices Premium, Ornate Blackboards, Benjamin Franklin Beveled, Baltimore Typewriter Beveled, Bernardo Beveled, Van den Velde Script (a free interpretation of the work of the famous master penman Jan van den Velde, found in the Spieghel der schrijfkonste, in den welcken ghesien worden veelderhande gheschrifften met hare fondementen ende onderrichtinghe (Haarlen, 1605)), Indenture English Penmanship, Penmanship Birds and Ornaments (2012), Beware The Neighboors Shadow (texture face), White Free (shadow face), Delamotte Large Relief Beveled.
- Typefaces made in 2012: Porosa, Presto, Derradeira (signage script), About Sweet Memories (brush script), Intellecta Ribbons, Irrelevante (beveled caps), Laus Sus Chris (Christian dingbats), Unpublished Ornaments, Heavy Squared Writing (brush face), Mezcla Titan, Sweet About (retro script), Publicité, Hard to read monograms, Free Medieval, Doctor Polidori (initial caps), Mixed Silhouettes, Glosilla Castellana Cursiva (inline type family), Sayonax (a textured version of the oriental simulation typeface Sayonara), Wood Stevens (free), Rockabilly (fifties script), Interdite Script (heavy calligraphic face), Prismatica (free), Cristlid (free prismatic face), Zed Leppelin (free), Neo Bulletin Outline (free), Victorian Free Ornaments, Spanish Army Shields (+Two), Varius Multiplex, Stephens Heavy Writing.
- Typefaces from 2013: Corn Pop Two (ornamental corners), Astrodings, Vulnavia Sans (comic book face), Capitular Heraldica, Mirella Initials Ornamntals (a swashy calligraphic script; with Iza W), Carpete (retro script), Free Writer, Round Hand, Exclusivite (fifties script), Hertz Oscillations (fat retro script), Heavy Rock (fifties script), Raindrops (retro script), Ralph Walker (ronde), Exiles (retro signage script), Mr. Richmond Caps (art nouveau alphadings), Berengard Caps Two.
Iza Wilma Lima Peixoto
Iza W is a Brazilian type designer who works with Paulo W at intellecta Design. Klingspor link. She created Kocham (2008, an art deco geometric face with dots centered in all letters), Orchis (2006, Intellecta Design), an art deco famliy in the style of Broadway. Other fonts, done with Paulo W at Intellecta Design in 2006: Advantage, Biza, Elegancy, Estiliza, Frompac. She designed DeutschePosterSteinschrift, Alta (5 styles), Apolo Decorative (Victorian era caps), Ariana, Black, Cresciesco (roman times lettering), Drianh (late 19th century styles), Easy Callig, Evangeliaire Uncial, Geodec N9 (high contrast sans family), Glaciana (decorative caps), Grid, Half Flower 2, Laureatus (Lombardic), Malvinna, Paola Decorative (caps), Passo Borgo (the ultimate spiky dungeon family), Schneider Kontrast (a 15-style art deco and ornamental family based on the work of F.H. Ernst Schneidler), and Questy (semi-slab serif) in 2007.
Productions in 2008: Basilissa (flowery caps), Calligraphia Latina Soft, Chyrllene (curly Victorian family), Clea (caps), Fridha (undrerstated and 3d calligraphy), Hostetler Kapitalen 2, Litho Romana Inland (a caps family), Ogden (calligraphic), Olivetti Typewriter (5 styles), Syl (frilly Victorian caps), Tissot (2008, fine caps), Triball (headline blackletter family), TTF TATTOEF 8 (tattoo dings). MyFonts says The mysteriously-named Iza W shares most of the development activities at Intellecta Design with Paulo W. She specializes in revivals of historic advertising types, specifically metal and wood display types of the Americas, from the early 19th to mid 20th century. and lists these fonts at the end of 2008 as having been designed by her: Advantage, Agua, Alta, AltDeutsch, Anatomy, Antiqua Shaded, Apolo Decorative, Ariana, Basilissa, Biza, Black, Boliche, Bruce Borders, Bruce Flourished, Bruce Hairline, Bruce Miscelania, Bruce Ornament, Cadels, Calligraphia Latina Soft, Catania, Centennial Script Fancy (+Three), Chancelaresca Spanola, Chyrllene, Clea, Cleo (Lombardic ornamental caps), Cresciesco, Deco Experiment 2, Deco Experiment 3, Deco Experiment 4, Deco Experiment 5, Deco Experiment 6 (2007), Deco Experiment 7, Deutsche Poster Steinschrift, Donald, Drianh, Easy Callig, Egipcia, Elara (2009), Elegancy, Engel, Estiliza, Evangeliaire Uncial, Faroeste, Feosa, Figgins Brute, Fin Fraktur, Flower Essences, Flower Jars, Fofucha, Frames 1, Francesco Decorative, Fridha, Frompac, Fry's Alphabet, Furniet Roman, Gans Animals, Gans Carmen Adornada, Gans Cornucopia, Gans Gotico Globo, Gans Italiana, Gans Royality, Gans Sport Club, Gans Titania, Gans Titular Adornada, Gans Transportation, Gans Vessels Fishes, Geodec Bruce Ornamented (2006, a tribute to George Bruce), Geodec Minuskel, Geodec N9, Geodec Petras Enhanced, Glaciana, Gloo Biloo (2010, spooky alphading face), Gothic Handtooled Bastarda, Gotische, Gotische Frame, Gottar (blackletter), Gradl Initialen, Grid, Grissom, Grolier (caps), Grolier Beveled (2011, free at Dafont), Half Flower, Hannover, Hostetler Kapitalen, Imperio Romano (2009, roman heads), Intellecta Bodoned (+Two, +Trash), Intellecta Borders, Intellecta Crowns (royal crowns), Intellecta Grotesca Compacta, Intellecta Slab Bold, Intellecta Square, Intellecta Typewriter, Intellecta Typewriter 2, Japonesa (2010, oriental simulation), Julisa Script, Kocham, Latinish, Laureatus, Lettering Deco (2008, art deco, +Shadow), Litho Romana Inland, Littler Serifada, Magro, Majestade, Malvinna, Manuscript XIV Century, Merona, Missal, Monograms Soft (2010, with Paulo W), Naturella (2009, leaf and grape dingbats), Neretta (2008, +Italic), Numbers, Ogden, Olivetti Typewriter, Orchis, Palermo, Paola Decorative, Peloponeso, Porcupine, Questy, Remington Elite Typewriter, Samuello, Schneider Kontrast, Schneidler Zierbuchstablen, Schwandner Versalia (2010, ornamental caps based on an alphabet by Austrian penman Johann Georg von Schwandner), Schwandner Black Fleurons (2010), Schwandner Ornaments (2010), Selena, Sinfonia, Southern Flight, Speedball, Standard Typewriter, Suciellid, Sunamy (oriental simulation, after lettering by Ross F. George), Surrey (2008), Syl, Tissot, Tondella, Triball, TTF TATTOEF 4, TTF TATTOEF 6, TTF TATTOEF 7, TTF TATTOEF 8, Tuska, Underwood Typewriter (+Underscore), Uthan, Versatile Initials, Victorian Exotical Capitals, Warp, Woodball, Yanna, Zooth.
From 2009: Calligraphia Latina Soft3, Cantate (+Beveled), Remington Weather (old typewriter), Xyla (caps), Polen, Polen Two (2007), Arrius (calligraphic), Catilina, Pentagraph (upright connected script), Renania (calligraphic), Renania Double Line (free), Samantha (caps), Silius Engraved (caps), Stencil Intellecta (+Trash), Tatooyn, Urszula (caps), Victorio (caps), Elfort (formal calligraphy after Poppl Exquisite, a typeface by Friedrich Poppl), Pretoria Gross (2009), Holy Church (2009, blackletter), Holy Church Fleurons (2009), Single Silhouettes (2009).
Typefaces done in 2010: Penabico (a calligraphic script; with Paulo W), Baltimore Typewriter (a great typewriter family, with a black-on-white typewriter keys style added), Izouda (an art deco Broadway-style beauty), Bernardo (an italic family, with swash initials thrown in, named after Lucian Bernhard), Netuno, Supermarket (shop signage family), Bruce Influence (interpretation of Great Primer Ornamented No. 30, from the Bruce's TypeFoundry 1869 catalog), Pretoria Gross (a Victorian family done with Paulo W), Reliant (2010, with Dmitrij Greshnev: a free interpretation of Bernhard Schönschrift (Lucian Bernhard) and Liberty, which was designed by W.T. Sniffin for ATF in 1927, following the original designs by Lucian Bernhard), Reliant Limited (2012, free version).
Gostosinhos (2010) are hilarious faces put together in a dingbat font. Centennial Onaments (2010) was done with Paulo W. Calligraphic Birds is pure penmanship.
Fonts done in 2011: Ambrose Bierce Daned Font (ornamental caps), Menina Carinhosa (floriated caps), Menina Formosa (floriated caps), Menina Espinhosa (2011), Menina Graciosa Ornaments (2011, +Two), Menina Poderosa Ornaments (2011), Azalleia (floriated caps), Azalleia Ornaments, Naoko (a fantastic oriental simulation face), Bestiario (calligraphic penmanship dingbats based on the work of English writing master John Seddon, 1644-1700), Seddon Penmans Paradise Capitals (elaborate caps along the lines of Bestiario), Dolphus-Mieg Monograms (after a 1901 book by the Dollfus-Mieg company), Imprenta Royal Nonpareil, Dia de los muertos (2011), Naive Ornaments (2011), Eingraviert Dutch Capitals (2011).
Creations in 2012: Spirulina, Promotion Script, Soft Ornaments (+Two, +Three, +Four, +Five, +Six, +Seven, +Eight, +Nine, +Ten, +Eleven, +Twelve, +Thirteen, +Fourteen), Soft Garden (ornaments), The Black Shapes, Sabor Words, Sabor Digital (textured), Sabor Rasgos Escritura (upright connected script), Floreart (floral dingbats), Mirella Script (French bastarda penmanship script), Soft Flowers, Derriey Vignettes (after Charles Derriey), Gracious Azaleas (flowery dings).
Design from 2013: Mirella Initials Ornamentals (a swashy calligraphic script done with Paulo W), Menina Graciosa (ornamental caps), Menina Gostosa (Loira (caps), Morena (calligraphic), Ornamentos (floral)), Alien Trees. [Google]
Type designer active ca. 1993. His typefaces were free, and can be found in many places. Archive of Fordyce's fonts. Font Squirrel link. Fontspace link.
A list of his creations:
- Blackletter faces: Deutsch Gothic (1994), Diamond Gothic (1995), Wellsley (1994).
- Art nouveau style: Cabaret (1993).
- Semi-blackletter: Greenowic-Narrow (1993), renamed Lombardic Narrow (1993).
- Independence, a fourth of July type of font. In the same spirit, he made Stars and Stripes (1993) and Patriot (1993).
- Poseidon (1993). Recreated by Nick Curtis as Herzog von Graf.
- Lombardic: King Arthur (1993), Geschlossen Gotik Kaps (1993, aka Altmark), Lubeck (1993), Curled Serif (1993).
- Fatty, roundish: Pleasantly Plump, Rounded Informal (1994---this has an fat art nouveau look).
- Pompeii Caps (1993).
- Virginia (1999).
- Gothic faces: Bloody, Angular.
- Shadow faces: Shadowed Serif, White Bold (1994).
Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
[St. Rachan Typeworks]
John A. Hern
[The Happy Greyhound]
John M. Bergling
Great American calligrapher and engraver. He wrote several books, including "Engraving Designing Etching" (1914) and Art Alphabets and Lettering (1914). He was Master Engraver with the renowned C.D. Peacock jewelers in Chicago around 1900. Creator of many art alphabets, Bergling is also noted for state seals of the United States and many seal crests of foreign countries. His great-grandchildren set up Bergling Publishing and are selling directly or through Amazon most of his oeuvre. Other texts include "Art Monograms and Lettering" (1912), "Heraldic Designs for Artists and Craftspeople", and "Ornamental Designs and Illustrations".
Digital fonts based on Bergling's work: One Good Urn NF (2005, Nick Curtis) is based on his art nouveau lettering from 1914. Morocco (1914) provided the caps of Funky Tut NF (2005, Nick Curtis), and Keramic Text (1914) provided the lower cases characters of the latter font. Chantilly Lace NF (2005, Nick Curtis) uses uppercase letters by Bergling and lowercase letters by Roland W. Paul. His Nibs NF is a digital font by Nick Curtis (2007) based on the calligraphy of Bergling, ca. 1914. Carson Monogram (2009, Brian J. Bonislawsky) is based on Bergling's New Antique 53 from the book Art Monogram and Lettering. Bergling (2010, Scriptorium) is a floriate script based on Bergling's work. Other (art nouveau style) Scriptorium fonts based on Bergling include Boetia, Belgravia and Beaumains (2011). LHF Bergling Panels (2012, John Davis) is based on Bergling's work. Initials Bergling (2012, Alter Littera) is a comprehensive set of initials (usually referred to as Uncials, Lombardic Initials, or Lombards) of the French variety, adapted from Bergling's book Art Alphabets and Lettering (Second Edition) (1918, Chicago: Blakely-Oswald Printing Company). [Google]
José Alberto Mauricio
JTHZ.com software productions
[Julius B. Thyssen]
Julius B. Thyssen (from Amsterdam) and Hens Zimmerman run this site (which used to be called Immortalware), where you can download 15 Truetype fonts, among which one handwriting font made by Julius. Now also a huge zip file with 16 new fonts: Corrodated-J, Dolenzo-J (antiqued serif), Elliottland-J (Lombardic influences), Fucked-OlympiaJ (1991, old typewriter), Incendiak-J, Julius-BThyssen (handwriting), Kylie 1996-J (inspired by Tango by Colin Brignall, 1974), Nostra-2003J (after Jim Pearson's Creedmore), Radium-Day-AfterJ (chalky face), Rugklacht-J, Salernomi-J, Scalactic-J, Systematic-NewJ, Thyssen-JItalic, Thyssen-J. All fonts made between 1995 and 1998.
Dafont link. [Google]
Frenchman who has a wonderful historic overview of the calligraphic styles. Here are his categories:
Additional scans of his work: The letter G | Happy 2005 | Abcdefg | Fine chancery alphabet | Lettres cadeaux | Starting alphabet for the lettres cadeaux | Trial 1 | Trial 2 | Trial 3. [Google]
- Renaissance, starting with Gutenberg, and the re-use of Greek and Roman architecture and lettering. It has the chancery hand (or italic) and the humanist (or antiqua). But also in this category are the ronde (upright curvacious scripts), the Flemish cursive (stunning calligraphy) and the fine or modern chancery.
- Gothic, or medieval, alphabets: Primitive gothic (S, T, U, V), textura (P, Q, R), cursive gothic(D, E, F, G, H), bastarda (A, B, C), rotunda (M, N, O), and Fraktur(I, J, K, L). Chazal adds to these six groups the Lombardian (lettre tourneure: A, B, C, D, E, F, G), the tourneure gestuelle (modern handprinted version of the Lombardian: A, B, C), and the lettres cadeaux (overly ornamental caps).
- Anglaises: voluptuous and difficult calligraphy.
- Gestuelles in modern calligraphy: the cola pen, the tire-ligne, the flat nib, and the pointed nib.
Julius B. Thyssen
[JTHZ.com software productions]
Born in Stockholm in 1954. Designer whose fancy caps and uncial fonts will soon be developed in cooperation with David Kettlewell. The first one in this series is Karins Lombardy Caps (2006). MyFonts link. [Google]
Swiss calligrapher who made and sells various medieval and historically important script fonts. These include the paleographic (PAL) series and the KPS series. He lives in Ühlingen--Birkendorf, Germany. We have KPS Anglaise (calligraphic script), KPS Antiqua (+Kapitälchen), KPS Capitalis (classic Trajan caps), KPS Cicero, KPS Epona (calligraphic), KPS Fein (handprinted), KPS Hand (calligraphic), KPS Horaz (calligraphic), KPS Iris (calligraphic), KPS Petit (calligraphic), KPS Plinius, KPS Spitzfelder, KPS Vitruv (calligraphy), PAL Bastarda, PAL Cancellaresca, PAL Carolina, PAL Gotisch, PAL Humanistica, PAL Lombarden, PAL Quadrata, PAL Rotunda, PAL Rustica, PAL Textura, PAL Uncialis, PAL Uncialis Roemisch, Weissranken Initialen, Ranken Initialen (Celtic capitals). [Google]
K-Type is Keith Bates' (b. 1951, Liverpool) foundry in Manchester, UK, est. 2003. Keith works as an Art&Design teacher at a Salford High School. Dafont link. Yet another URL. Fontspace link. Fontsy link. Behance link. They custom design type, and sell some of their own creations.
- Adequate (2012). A basic geometric monoline sans family.
- Adventuring (2010, comic book style)
- Alan Hand (2005, based on some blobby lettering, handwritten by printer and mail artist, Alan Brignull)
- Alex (2002-2004)
- Alright (2004, cursive script)
- Anna (2002-2007)
- Bank of England (2012, blackletter): Bank of England is loosely based on blackletter lettering from the Series F English twenty pound banknote introduced in 2007. The font also takes inspiration from German Kanzlei (Chancery) typefaces and the 17th century London calligrapher, John Ayres.
- Brush Hand New (2013): Brush Hand New is a full font based on a copy of Flash Bold called Brush Hand marketed by WSI in the 1990s and more recently distributed through free font sites. Brush Hand was an anonymous redrawing of Flash which simplified, slightly lightened, smoothed out ragged edges, and improved the legibility of the original classic created by Edwin W. Shaar in 1939.
- Building&Loan (2007, engaved face)
- Bigfoot (2005, a Western font based on the slab capitals used by Victor Moscoso in his 1960s psychedelic rock posters)
- Bolshy (2009)
- Bolton750 (2003, a mechanical face done with John Washington)
- Chock (2009)
- Circa (geometric sans)
- Collegiate (2009)
- Component (2012). A font for lost civilizations and dungeon rituals.
- Context (experimental)
- Credit Card (2010, font for simulating bank cards)
- Cyberscript (2006, connected squarish face)
- Enamela (2013). Keith writes: Enamela (rhymes with Pamela) is based on condensed sans serif lettering found on vitreous enamel signage dating from the Victorian era and widely used in Britain for road signs, Post Office signs, the plates on James Ludlow wall postboxes, railway signs, direction signs and circular Automobile Association wayfinding plaques throughout the first half of the twentieth century. The original model goes back to Victorian times, ca. 1880.
- Flip (2011), a western grotesk billboard face.
- Flyer (2009, techno)
- Frank Bellamy (2009, an all-capitals family based on the hand lettering of English artist, Frank Bellamy, most famous for his comic art for Eagle and TV21, and his Dr Who illustrations for Radio Times)
- Future Imperfect
- Gill New Antique (2003)
- Hapshash (2010): an all capitals font inspired by the 1960s psychedelic posters of British designers Hapshash and the Coloured Coat (Michael English and Nigel Waymouth), in particular their 1968 poster for the First International Pop Festival in Rome. A dripping paint font.
- Ivan Zemtsov (2009)
- Kato (2007, oriental simulation face)
- Keith's Hand
- Klee Print (2010, Klee Print is based on the handwriting of American artist Emma Klee)
- Lexia (an improved or "adult" version of Comic Sans) and Lexia Readable (2006).
- Modernist Stencil (2009).
- Mythica (2012). A slightly condensed lapidary roman with copperplate serifs.
- Modulario (2010): a contemporary sans.
- New Old English (2010, blackletter)
- Norton (2006)
- Nowa (2004, a play on Futura)
- NYC (octagonal)
- Openline (2008, an art deco pair)
- Oriel Chambers Liverpool: A Lombardic small caps font based on the masonry lettering on Peter Ellis's 1864 building, Oriel Chambers, on Water Street in Liverpool.
- Pentangle (2008, based on album lettering from 1967)
- PixL (2002-2004)
- Plasterboard (2004-2005)
- Pop Cubism (2010) is a set of four texture fonts, combining elements of cubism and pop art.
- Poster Sans (2006). A wood type family based on Ludlow 6 EC.
- Rick Griffin (2006, more psychedelic fonts inspired by a 1960s Californian artist)
- Roundel (2009, white on black)
- Runestone (2010, runic).
- Sans Culottes (2008, grunge)
- Solid State (2008, art deco blocks)
- Solus (2004, a revival of Eric Gill's 1929 face Solus which has never been digitized; read about it here)
- Stockscript (2008, down-to-earth script based on the pen lettering of the writer, Christopher Stocks)
- Susanna (2004)
- Ticketing (2011): pixelish.
- Total and Total Eclipse (2004, squarish display faces based on the four characters of Jaroslav Supek's title lettering for his 1980s mailart magazine, Total)
- Transport New (2009: a redrawing of the typeface designed for British road signs. In addition to the familiar Heavy and Medium weights, Transport New extrapolates and adds a previously unreleased Light weight font originally planned for back-lit signage but never actually applied. Originally designed by Jock Kinneir and Margaret Calvert beginning in 1957, the original Transport font has subtle eccentricities which add to its distinctiveness, and drawing the New version has involved walking a tightrope between impertinently eliminating awkwardness and maintaining idiosyncrasy.)
- Union Jack (octagonal)
- Victor Moscoso (2008, psychedelic)
- Wanda (2007, art nouveau)
- Wes Wilson (2007, psychedelic, inspired by 1960s psychedelic poster artist Wes Wilson)
- Zabars (2001): a Western face.
His free fonts are here:
- Blue Plaque (2006: a distressed font based on English heritage plaques)
- Blundell Sans (2009)
- Celtica (2007) has Celtic influences
- Dalek (2005, stone/chisel face: Dalek is a full font based on the lettering used in the Dalek Book of 1964 and in the Dalek's strip in the TV21 comic, spin-offs from the UK science fiction TV show, Doctor Who. The font has overtones of Phoenician, Greek and Runic alphabets)
- Designer Block (2006)
- Flat Pack (2006)
- Future Imperfect (2006, grunge)
- Gommogravure (2005)
- Greetings (2006), Greetings Bold (2006)
- Insecurity (2005, experimental) won an award at the 2005 FUSE type competition.
- International Times (2006, inspired by the masthead of the International Times underground newspaper of the 1960s and 1970s)
- Keep Calm (2011). Related to London Underground.
- Klee Capscript (2005: based on the handwriting and capitals drawn by artist Emma Klee (USA) for her Color Museum Mail Art invitation. The upper case is based on Emma's capitals and the lower case is freely adapted from her script)
- Lexia and Lexia Bold (2004)
- MAGraphics (2004)
- Magical Mystery Tour (2005, outlined shadow face), Magical Mystery Tour Outline Shadow (2005)
- Mailart (2004), MailartRubberstamp (2004)
- Mandatory (2004, a UK number plate font based on the Charles Wright typeface used in UK vehicle registration plates)
- Ray Johnson (2006-2008)
- Roadway (2005, based on New York roadside lettering).
- Savor (2011). An art nouveau family.
- Soft Sans (2010)
- Subway Ticker (2005)
- This Corrosion (2005)
Custom / corporate typefaces: With Liverpool-based art director Liz Harry, Bates created a personalized font, loosely based on Coco Sumner's handwritten capitals, for the band I Blame Coco. Medium and Semibold weights of Gill New Antique were commissioned by LPK Design Agency. Stepping Hill Hospital and Bates created Dials, a pictorial font to help hospital managers input data about improvements. A custom font was designed for Bolton Strategic Economic Partnership.
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link.
View Keith Bates's typefaces. [Google]
Company founded by Doug Larson in 1994, and located in Pleasant Grove, UT. Before that, Doug was at WordPerfect Corporation. Lettering Delights specializes in scrapbook, handwriting and alphading fonts. MyFonts link. MyFonts sells the following fonts, made in 2007-2008: LD Chaver (faux Hebrew), LD Cottage (blackletter), LD Daffy, LD Castle (Lombardic), LD Christmas Ale (uncial), LD Appliquée, LD Count Fontula (a grungy blackletter), LD Absurd, LD Bohemian Filigree, and many more. The "LDJ" series is made by Jillustration. A more complete list, as of March 2009: DB Dainty Swirl, LD Bohemian Filigree, LD Honeydukes, LDJ Christmas Troll, DB Trees, DB Floridity, DB Frilly Frames, DB Animal Occasion, DB Roman Philosophy, LD Garbo, DB Flornaments, DB Post Master, LD Daffy, LDJ Flirt, DB Flower Power, LD Absurd, DB Fancy Flourishes, LDJ Exhibit, LDJ Crafty (2007), LD Lamestain, DB Borders Birthday, DB Journal Doodles, LD Dirty Drusillus, LD Unconventional, DB Circles-Frilly, DB Foliage, LD Kung Pow, LDJ Jill Bird, DB Spring Fling, LD Goober, DB Artsy, DB Girly Flowers, DB Girly Girl, DB Journaling Boxes, DB Falalalala Doodle, LD Rock Hero, LDJ Yuletide, LD Count Fontula, LD Hang Ten, LD Horror Movie, DB Bridal Doodles, DB Floragraphy, LDJ Silly Sister, LDJ Jillk And Cookies, DB Birthday Cheer, LDI Fancy Folk, LD Imagine That, TXT Bethlehem, LD Distorted Drusillus, LD Romeo, LD Ugly Duckling, DB Beach Doodles, DB Easter Bunny, DB Smartypants, LD Christmas Ale, LD Shmutz, LDJ Eccentric, LD Cottage, LD Roman Sketch, LD Flutter, LD Generation X, LDJ Whimsey, LDJ Bash, LDJ Hen Hand, LD Roman Engraving, LDJ Scribble Scriptish, DB Fleuries, DB Pit Stop, DB Post Stamp, LDJ Distressed Yuletide, LDJ Jillegible, LDJ Cool Play, LD Demure, LDJ Caper, LD Poco, LD Softy, LD This Way, DB Easter Fun Doodles, DB Family Tree, DB Fright Night, DB Frilly Paisley, DB Just For U, DB Wedding Book, LD Scary, LD Appliqué, LDJ Forever Friends, LD Castle, LDJ Jill Scratch, LD Puck, LD Chaver, DB Bugs, DB Doodledeedoo, DB Frilly Words, DB Girly Soccer, DB Once Upon A Time, DB Spooky Doodles, DB Vintage Halloween, DB 'Tis The Season Modern, DB 'Tis The Season Words, DB Buggy Christmas, DB Christmas Doodles, DB Christmas Fun Doodles, DB Circles -, DB Circles - Christmas, DB Snowflakes, LD Hoot. Additions in 2009: TXT Fat Hatch, TXT Santa Font, LD Deck The Halls, LD Heather, LD Astoria, LDJ Doodaddles, TXT Brush Script, LD Elementary, LDJ Jingleberry, LDJ Knick Knack, LDJ Sneezes, LDJ Snow Doodles, TXT Annesia, TXT Groovy Smooth, TXT Hoopla, LD Let It Snow, LDJ Ho Ho Snow, TXT Altius, TXT HunkaSpunk, TXT Jubulation, TXT Monkeyshine, TXT Long Hand, LD Painters Hand, TXT Soda Shoppe, TXT Stonewashed, TXT Antique Italic, LD Wait, LD Soccer Mom, LDJ Sweet Potatoes, Scrap Caps, TXT Romanesque, Scrap casual, TXT Scribbletti, TXT Sloppy Script, LDJ Billy Bob, LDJ Cool Cat, LD Wedding, TXT Menu Item, LD Red Hatters Hand, Scrap Twiggy, LD Lanky, TXT Modern Mom, TXT Nuptials, TXT Delicate Script, LDJ Fadoodle, LD Kiss The Cook, LD Kooky, LD Old Country, LD Remington Portable, LD Underwood 5 (old typewriter), TXT Personality, TXT Jersey, LD Wanted (Far West), LDJ Dear Santa, TXT Monique, TXT Old English (blackletter), LD Christmas Carol (blackletter), LDJ Cooligraphy, LDJ Elf writing, LDJ Friend Font, LD Harry, Scrap Brother, LDJ Squirrel Tracks, TXT Tough Love, TXT Small World, TXT Stitched, LDJ Elf Note, LD Engraved, Scrap Sloppy, LD Sidewalk Chalk, LDJ Story Stamp, LDJ Tickled Tourist, LD Little Buggy (2008), LD Platform Soul (2011).
Images of some fonts made in 2010: LD Chaplin, LD Confucius, LD Cursive, LD Cursive Flourish, LD Eleanor Ray, LD Elegance, LD Gettysburg, LD Newborn Vampire, LD Twilight, LD Werewolf. [Google]
Linotype sells Textur Lombardisch and Textur Gotisch DFR without providing any information about its sources. Furthermore, for those thinking that they are buying two different fonts, be warned that the lowercases are identical. [Google]
Big German foundry active in the first half of the 20th century. It was absorbed by Neufville, which will make its faces available in digital form. Type designers and faces:
- House faces: Allemannia Fraktur (1908), Allright (1936), Altenburger Gotisch (1928), Bastard Mediaeval, Beatrice (1931), Chic, Cochin (1922), Commerciale, Diplomat (1964, see the digital version Diploma by Hans van Maanen, 2009), Excelsior (1914, script face), Firmin Didot (1929), Hallo (1956), Kombinette (1932), Kupferplatte (1950), Largo (1939), Magnet (1951), Nelson (1902, art nouveau), Wren, Samson Script, Luminous, Behrens. Kudos Kaps NF (2006, Nick Curtis) is a set of five nice ornamental caps and associated alphabet and border sets, including a Lombardic set, and an engraved set--they are based on faces from the Ludwig&Mayer library.
- Albert Christoph Auspurg: Rasse (1924), Mona Lisa (1930), Brigitte (1935), Krimhilde (1934)
- Hans Bohn: Allegro (1936-1937)
- Jakob Erbar: Erbar-Grotesk (1922-1930), Lucina, Lumina, Lux, Phosphor, Koloss (1923), Candida (1936, a mediocre didone family), Feder Grotesk (1910), Fette Feder Grotesk, Erbar
- Hace Frey: Charleston (1967, Alphonse Mucha-style display face)
- G. Germroth: Germroth-Deutsch (1935, blackletter)
- Erhard Grundeis: Achtung (1932)
- Karlgeorg Hoefer: Stereo (1968), Permanent (1962), Headline (1964), Elegance (1968), Big Band (1974)
- Walter Höhnisch: Tempo (1930), Werbeschrift Deutsch (1933), National (Fraktur, 1933-1934), Schräge National (1937), Skizze (1935, a script face), Stop (1939), Antiqua die Schlanke (1938-1939), Express (1952), Candida Italic (1937), Slender (1939)
- Heinrich Jost: Aeterna (or Jost Mediaeval, 1927)
- Walter Ferdinand Kemper: Colonia (1938-1939, a humanist sans)
- Wilhelm Krause: Professor-Krause-Fraktur (1930, blackletter)
- Paul Eduard Lautenbach: Prägefest (1926)
- Richard Ludwig: Augenheil (1908)
- Helmut Matheis: Charme (1957-1958, calligraphic), Slogan (1959, connected script), Primadonna (1956, a formal script), Matheis Mobil (1960), Compliment (1965, an angular vertical script)
- Joshua Reichert: Reichert-Gotisch (1930s).
- Imre Reiner: Contact (Deberny&Peignot, 1952; Ludwig&Mayer, 1968 (according to Jaspert), and 1963 according to others), Corvinus (ca. 1932), Stradivarius (1945)
- Lorenz Reinhard Spitzenpfeil: Welt-Fraktur (1910), Werk-Fraktur (1918)
- Alfred Riedel: Domino (1954)
- Georg Schiller: Lyrisch (1907)
- Arthur Schulze: Werbekraft (1926)
- Ilse Schüle: Rhapsodie (1949-1951, bastarda)
- Johannes Schweitzer: Dominante (1959)
- Francesco Simoncini: Aster (or Aster Simoncini, 1958), Life (1965), Armstrong (1970), Simoncini Garamond (1961)
- K. Sommer: Dynamo (1930)
- Hans Wagner: Altenburger Gotisch (1928, Fraktur font), Welt (1931, slab serif), Wolfram (1930, a heavy upright italic).
- Eugen Weiss: Hölderlin (1938, blackletter)
[Blackletter, Fraktur, Rotunda]
[Caps and initials]
Gary Munch (born 1953) is the Stamford, CT-based principal of MunchFonts. He teaches at Norwalk Community College and at the University of Bridgeport Shintaro Akatsu School of Design.. His typefaces:
- GMAhuramazda (runes).
- Candara (2005), a flared typeface done for Microsoft's ClearType project. Candara received a TypeArt 05 award.
- Munch produced three new Cherokee fonts in 2011 in response to a request by Joseph Erb, of language technology and education services at the Cherokee Nation: Chancery Modern ProCherokee (a sleek sans serif semi-cursive font), Neogrotesk Cherokee (a multipurpose workhorse design), and Munch Chancery Cherokee (a calligraphic font that resembles handwriting). The Cherokee Nation is using Munch Chancery at its Cherokee Immersion School.
- Linotype Ergo.
- The 8-weight didone font family GMFidelio is my favorite.
- Finerliner (linked handwriting).
- GMLondinium (1993, a blackletter face), and GM Londinium Versals (a Lombardic face).
- GMMedallion. An architectural writing font made in 1997.
- Linotype Really (1997). An almost-didone family with Cyrillic and Greek extensions for which he received an award at the TDC2 2001 competition, and obtained third prize at the 3rd International Digital Type Design Contest by Linotype Library. It was updated to Really No2 in 2009.
- GM SPQR. A Trajan type family.
- UrbanScrawlButtah, UrbanScrawlChill, UrbanScrawlDown, UrbanScrawlFly.
- GM Wodensday.
Klingspor link. FontShop link. Linotype link. Old home page.
Showcase of Gary Munch's fonts. [Google]
New Fontografia (was: David's Fontografia 2006)
David Kettlewell (b. Edinburgh, Scotland, 1946), who has been professor at Tartu university in Estonia, and now works from his forest farmhouse in Bollstabruk, Northern Sweden, explains how fonts work and how to work with Fontographer and other programs. Kettlewell also runs Fontografia, a medieval and calligraphic type site featuring subpages on Ludovico Vicentino [degli Arrighi], Giovambattista Palatino, and Giovanniantonio Tagliente. He also tells us why Fontlab is so much better than Fontographer when developing fonts from scans.
David Kettlewell is a harper, renaissance musicologist and conductor who illuminate his work with text and type. His own work through New Renaissance Fonts is mostly with medieval and renaissance scripts, calligraphic alphabets and ornamental capitals. Direct acess. MyFonts link for New Renaissance. Klingspor link.
Free fonts: AliceScrolltipRoman, AndersFancyCapitals, AndersPlainCapitals, BickhamSwashCaps, Cartouches, CelticNoadProtoype, Chiswickblack, DagmarIlluCaps, Davies-RomantiqueCaps, DaviesIlluminatedcapitals, DaviesRoundhand, DaviesSapphire, DeBeauChesneRoman, FantasiaCaps, GothicCaps, KarinsFreeLombardyCaps (2006, with Karin Skoglund), KingRichard2Caps, Kurbits3, Lettreornee, LubnaCaps, NesbittDecoratedCaps-Medium, RicksClassicItalic, RicksDecoratedUncial-Medium, RicksFolkloreRoman, RicksRelaxedHand-Italic, Samuel, SevilliaDancingText, Sevilliastandingtext, Sevilliatiles, ShawDecoratedInitials1, ShawDecoratedInitials4-Medium, Taliente-IlluCaps, WestminsterMemorialBrasses-Medium.
Other fonts (some no longer available or shown): Soest St. Mary (2006, decorative capitals from embroidery work in a German church), Kurbits, Samuel, Celtic Noad, Dagmar IlluCaps, Lettre ornée, Phalesiodecor (medieval caps, 1998), American Uncial (adaptation of a URW font), FinalRomanfat or FatRoman50 (adaptation of an RWE font), Marshall (made from an 1822 parchment).
Some fonts are developed in conjunction with Richard Bradley. Others involved more loosely include Adam Twardoch, Karin Skoglund, Dagmar Varaksits and Anders Rosen.
MyFonts offers fonts like Chiswick Illuminated Caps (2009, Lombardic), Alice Scrolltip, Albrecht Fraktur (2011), Edward's Uncial 1904 (2011, after an alphabet drawn by Edward Johnston), Davids Roundhand, Karins Lombardy Caps, Sevillia (2006, with Richard Bradley), and Soest St Mary. [Google]
Tattoo artist in Florida, b. 1969, whose business is Vicious Ink. He posted 21 free fonts in 2011 at Dafont all at once. Many of these have calligraphic or Celtic influences. There are of course several blackletter and illuminated caps faces, as one would expect in a tattoo parlor. The fonts were all made in 2010: Pauls3-DTribal, PaulsBloodSweat&Tears, PaulsCelticFont1, PaulsCelticFont2, PaulsCelticFont3, PaulsCircusFont (Lombardic), PaulsEstherFont, PaulsFancyScript, PaulsGothicCurls, PaulsGraffitti, PaulsHeartlessFont, PaulsIlluminatedCelticFont, PaulsKanjiFont-Bold (oriental simulation), PaulsPoisonFont-Italic, PaulsRansomNoteFont, PaulsRealCelticRuneFont, PaulsSUPERFont, PaulsSinnerFont, PaulsSouthPacific, PaulsSwirlyGothicFont, PaulsWhimsyFont, Paul's Bloody, Paul's Weight, Paul's California (a fun script). [Google]
Portuguese author of Tipografia: origens, formas e uso das letras (2006, Paulo Heitlinger, Lisbon) and Alfabetos, Caligrafia e Tipografia (2010, Lisbon). Born in Lisbon, he studied nuclear physics in Germany. He lectured on communication design at the Universidade do Algarve. His pages (in Portuguese) are quite complete, with a great glossary, a beautiful section on the history of type, a mag called Cadernos de Tipografia, links to type design in the world in general, and in Brazil, Spain and Portugal in particular, and more general information on type. Font-making how to. Useful timeline of 16th century writing manuals. An absolute must. He has also created or revived a number of typefaces, which can be bought on-line.
An incomplete list of his typefaces:
Bertrand (2008): an art deco face patterened after the shop sign of Livraria Bertrand in Chiado, Lisbon. Rotunda: Visigotica: based on the calligraphic writings of the 10th and 11th centuries. This font has many alternates. Based on scans of a text of the 10th century called Actas de Concilio de Caledonia de 451. Styles: Imperatorum, Isidoro. Typefaces based on the calligraphic work of Francisco Lucas, 1570: Bastarda de Lucas Italic (2009), Bastarda de Lucas (2009), Redondilla de Lucas (2009). Uncialis (2009): a Lombardian type based on a 16th century model of Giralde de Prado. Escolar Portugal (Fino, Forte) and Escolar Brasil are school fonts of the "upright connected script" style that were made in 2008. For more on didactic fonts, read the booklet Caderno de Tipografia e Design Nr. 14 (March 2009). [Google]
- Sinalética: A sober serif face for excellent legibility.
- CantoneirosRegular (2008), Cantoneiros-Thin (2008): art deco / avant-garde.
- Transito (2008): the famous 1930s stencil face of Jan Tschichold at Lettergieterij Amsterdam, with reinvented forms for f, g and y. [Note: the pic on the right-hand-side is Transito, as grabbed from Heitlinger's page---the grammatical error is not mine.]
- Sturmblond-Medium (2008): Revival of simple lettering of Herbert Bayer.
- Bayer Condensed: Revival of simple lettering of Herbert Bayer.
- Imperatorum (2008)
- Ratdoldt (2008): a blackletter face made from scans, and attributed to Erhard Ratdolt.
- Valentim (2008): a blackletter face made from scans of the book Vita Christi. Named after Valentim Fernandes, a printer active in Lisbon, ca. 1480-1519.
- Incunabulo Normalizado (2008): a blackletter face made from scans of the book Vita Christi.
- Uhertype-Medium (2007): Revival of another Bauhaus era typeface, by Joost Schmidt.
- Arkitekto: A Bauhaus style piano key font based on an image found in a book of Kurt Weidemann.
- His Spanish collection includes Bastarda de Francisco Lucas, a versão espanhola da Cancelleresca italiana do século XVI. Um ponto alto da Caligrafia del Siglo de Oro.
- Redondilla de Francisco Lucas, a penmanship font based on Arte de Escribir 91577).
- Gótica Rotunda Gans.
- Juan Bravo, based on azulejos (tiles).
- Segovia, a titling font.
- Centauro, a decorative font.
- Kurrsiva, inspired by scripts from the 1960s.
- Deco de Avila, an avant-garde face.
PCCrafter.com (was: Provo Craft)
Shareware fonts: pcbang, pccrazed, pcdoubletick, pceasteregg, pcgarden, pcgroovy, pchardball, pckoolskool, pclights, pcshamrock, pcsketched, pcspeckle, pcspooky, pcsquiggle, pcsquirrelly, pcswiss, pcteetime, pcweb, pcwedgie. Free fonts: PC Goo, PC Needles. List of names, including the commercial fonts as well: PC Alphabet Soup, PC Americana, PC Anderson, PC Antique, PC Baby, PC Balloon, PC Balloons, PC Bandages, PC Bang, PC Barney, PC Beach Front, PC Beached, PC Becca Brush, PC Bedrock, PC Big Stick, PC Black, PC Blanket Stitch, PC Block Italic, PC Borders, PC Bubble, PC Buzzy Bee, PC Calico, PC Callihan, PC Campus, PC Candlewick, PC Candy Cane, PC Casual, PC Cereal, PC Childish, PC Chopsticks, PC Chunky Dash, PC Chunky Jumbled, PC Chunky, PC Chuva, PC Classic English, PC Clubhouse, PC Comic Strip Black, PC Comic Strip, PC Cookie Crumbs, PC Cookie Dough, PC Crazed, PC Crazy Serif, PC Cream, PC Cross Stitch, PC Curl, PC Curls, PC Curly Que, PC Cursive, PC Curved, PC Dangle Star, PC Dashes, PC Dazzle Outline, PC Dazzle Tremor, PC Dazzle, PC Dot, PC Double Line, PC Double Tick, PC Drop, PC Easter Egg, PC Eire Medium, PC Fancy, PC Fiesta, PC Flower Garden, PC Flower, PC Folk, PC Foundation Hand, PC Friends, PC Funky Black, PC Funky, PC Garden 1, PC Garden 2, PC Garden Packet, PC Garden, PC Geo Angles, PC German Text, PC Goo, PC Goofy, PC Grandma's Garden, PC Groovy, PC Halloween, PC Hardball, PC Harvest, PC Hawaiian Hut, PC Heart Strings, PC HeartBeat, PC Hook&Line, PC Hotdog, PC In a Heart Beat, PC In the Pines, PC InformalFormal, PC Italic, PC Jenn Pen, PC Jump Rope, PC Just Rosie, PC Kennedy, PC Keyhole, PC Kick Plate, PC Kid, PC Knobbish, PC Kool Skool, PC Lady Bug, PC Laundry, PC Leere`, PC Licorice, PC Lights, PC Line, PC Lines and Loops, PC Little Bear, PC Little Grace, PC Little Squiggles, PC Log, PC Lombardic Limbo, PC Loring, PC Lorisans, PC Marshmallow, PC Mira Medium, PC Miss Thom, PC Monster, PC Mouse, PC Munchkin, PC Nature, PC Needles, PC Old English, PC Outline, PC Over the Moon, PC Overalls, PC Paintbrush, PC Paper Clip, PC Paper Clips, PC Party, PC Patch Scraps, PC Paw Print, PC Pencil, PC Petite Dot, PC Picket Fence, PC Pig Pen, PC Pilgrims, PC Pizazz Outline, PC Pizazz, PC Plain Jane, PC Point, PC Popstick, PC Posie, PC Pretty, PC Puffy, PC QTip, PC Quilt Blocks, PC Ragtime, PC Randsom Note, PC Ratatat, PC Rebecca Uncial, PC Rebecca, PC Rebs Writ, PC Regular, PC Rock Block, PC Rod Iron, PC Rope, PC Round About, PC Ruler, PC Saucy, PC School Days, PC Scrap Wood, PC Scratch Pad, PC Script, PC Sellers Swirls, PC Senior Regular, PC Sewing Scraps, PC Shadow Hut, PC Shamrock Dark, PC Shamrock Light, PC Shamrock, PC Sketchbook, PC Sketched, PC Snapdragon, PC Snow Caps, PC Snowballs, PC Snowflake, PC Snowmen, PC Sommerset, PC Spaghetti, PC Speckle, PC Splinters, PC Spook It!, PC Spooky, PC Sports, PC Squiggle, PC Squirrelly, PC Stars and Stripes, PC Stars, PC Stitch, PC Stone Script, PC Straight, PC Stringy, PC Swiss Cheese, PC Tee Time, PC Thick and Thin, PC Thick Dots, PC Thick Swirls, PC Thick, PC Thicky, PC Thumbtack, PC Twiggi, PC Twisted Ribbon, PC Type, PC Typewriter, PC Uneven Crazy, PC Uneven, PC Vine, PC Wacky, PC Watermelon, PC Wave, PC Web, PC Wedgie, PC Wet Noodle, PC Whimsey Holly, PC Whimsey, PC Willa, PC Willabella, PC Wired, PC Witches Toe, PC Witches, PC Wooden Letters, PC Wooden, PC Yellow Sands, PC Youngstuff, PC Zesty, PC Zig Zag, PC Ziggy Zag. [Google]
Peter Baker's old English page at the University of Virginia
[Peter S. Baker]
Peter Baker, an English professor at the University of Virginia, offers free TrueType and PostScript fonts such as the nice Junius family (1996, modern hybrid Gaelic), Beowulf-1 (1995, a pseudo-Gaelic face) and Anglo-Saxon Caps as well as tens of links related to old English. He also developed Junicode, "the working name of a Unicode font for medievalists." The fonts in the latter project are Junicode-Bold, JunicodeItalic, Junicode (2002), and are by Peter S. Baker and Briery Creek Software.
In 2010, he published the elegant Carolingian face Eadui: Reproduction of English Caroline Minuscule as written by Eadui Basan, a scribe at eleventh-century Christ Church, Canterbury.
Alternate URL. Dafont link. Open Font Library link, where he is known as psb6m. Fontspace link. [Google]
Peter S. Baker
[Peter Baker's old English page at the University of Virginia]
Type designer born in Boston in 1948 who created many exquisite designs such as Alexia (1992), Sallando Italic, Dorothea or Cresci Rotunda. His work shows the influence of masters such as Arthur Baker.
View Philip Bouwsma's typefaces. [Google]
- A list of faces done for Agfa (which became Monotype): Alligators, Aureus Uncial, Carmela, Connach (a Gaelic font), Corvallis, Cresci Rotunda, Dorothea, Francesca (1994), Hrabanus (1994, Monotype: Based on the lettering of Hrabanus Maurus, c. 776-856, archbishop of Mainz and author of many commentaries on the scriptures), Lexie's Animals, Ludovico, LudovicoWoodcut, Mantegna, Mariposa, Mariposa Sans, Mexican Birds, Borders&Symbols, Monmouth (1994, a Lombardic / blackletter face), Neuhengen, Ophelia Italic, Palatino Rotundo, Percival, Poggio Bookhand, Pompeii Capitals, Ramsey (1997, Lombardic face), Sallando Italic, Synthetica, Thalia Italic, Trieste, van der Hoef Capitals (Monotype, an art deco face after 1920 lettering by Dutch artist Christian van der Hoef), and Wolfdance.
- At Alphabets Inc: Alexia, Benedict Uncial, BouwsmaScript, Juliana and Weissenau.
- A complete list of all Philip Bouwsma fonts on the Creative Alliance v9.0 CD: Alligators (1994, letters made up from alligators), Aqua Life (2005), Carmela, Clemente Rotunda, Corvallis, Corvallis Oblique, Corvallis Sans, Corvallis Sans Oblique, Dorothea, Fransesca Gothic (1996, Lombardic / blackletter style), Hrabanus, Lexie's Animals, Lombardic Capitals (1994, Monotype), Ludovico Smooth, Ludovico Smooth Flourishes, Mariposa, Mariposa Bold, Mariposa Book, Mariposa BookItalic, Mariposa Black, Mariposa Medium, Mariposa Sans, Mariposa Sans Bold, Mariposa Sans Book, Mariposa Sans BookItalic, Mariposa Sans Black, Mariposa Sans Medium, Mexican Birds, Polenta Black Italic, Polenta Italic, Ter Gast, Ter Gast Alternates, Wolfdance, Schildersblad, Tresillian.
- From 2005 on, he started publishing his typefaces at Canada Type. There he published a fantastic calligraphic blackletter-inspired family, Torquemada, and Bouwsma Script (2006), an extension of his 1994 handwriting face. Still at Canada Type, he updated Alexia in 2006, and added Luminari in 2008, a Lombardic / uncial font influenced by the prolific humanist Poggio Bracciolini from the early fifteenth century (+Greek, +Cyrillic, +Celtic). The 8-style Bouwsma Text (2008, Canada Type) is a full-bodied truly "roman" family well worth visiting. The 5-style Mirabel calligraphic script family Mirabel (2008, Canada Type) is based on the handwriting of Beverly Bouwsma (Philip's mother), which she developed in the 1930s. Styx (2008, Canada Type) is a 4-font connected calligraphic script family with rough and smooth variations. But his grandest achievement is perhaps Maestro (2009), a 40 style chancery family, in 2 weights each, with 3350 characters per font, codesigned with Patrick Griffin at Canada Type. Still in 2009, he designed the 6-style calligraphic family Tupelo. In 2010, his main contribution, with Patrick Griffin, is the calligraphic uncial family Testament II. His Lorenzo family (2010, Canada Type) is has both chancery and calligraphic styles. In 2011, he published the Carolingian script family Symposium Pro, with the help of Patrick Griffin. Images: i, i, i, i, i, i.
German designer (whose real name is Marianne Steinbauer) of these beauuuuuuutiful (free) fonts:
- Francisco Lucas Llana Regular (2003, chancery hand). Pia writes: Written at Madrid in 1570, by a man called Francisco Lucas. He classified it as a Bastarda; but actually, it is a humanistic cursive -- the type of writing that is mostly known under the name of Chancery.
- Francisco Lucas Brioso Regular (2003, medieval hand). Also based on Francisco Lucas.
- WirWenzlawRough (2003). Pia writes: This is a genuine Bastarda, written at Prague in the year 1400, at the chancery of one Wenzlaw who was king of Bohemia and Roman king. His elixir of life was booze, his first occupation fighting off a brother who tried and retried to have him dethroned for insanity, his favourite pasttime having people drowned in the Moldava, and his only claim at immortality causing thereby the death of a court clerk called John of Pomuk, who afterwards became renowned as a saint.
- XenippaRegular (2003). Absolutely original Rotunda capitals mixed in with French Bastarda.
- XirwenaRegular (2003). A swash font invented by Pia.
- Dei Gratia (2005): This font is rather closely based on a charter issued in 1275 by Rudolf of Hapsburg (the first of his house to make it on the German throne).
- JaneAusten (2005): handwriting based on Jane Austen's hand.
- Tagettes and Tagettes Plus (2005): Pia writes Tagettes&TagettesPlus are the type of Italian chancery cursive of the 16th and 17th century that is mostly called Cancellaresca. Swashes galore!
- Xiparos (2005): an extract of some German charters issued nine hundred years ago by Henry, the last of the Salic kings. This medieval face was followed by Xiparos Lombard (2005).
- XiBeronne (2005): "XiBeronne is, of course, plain Black Letter -- at least as far as the lower case glyphs are concerned. They were inspired by a very beautiful and very celebrated French manuscript written at the beginning of the 15th century, containing -- and splendidly illustrating -- Gaston Phoebus' Book of the Hunt."
- EtBoemieRex (2007): a 14-th century blackletter face. Boemie means Bohemia...
- Tycho's Recipe: based on the Antiqua used by Peter Payngk (Denmark, 1575-1645) or his helpers in copying astronomer Tycho Brahe's recipe against the plague, ca. 1610.
- Love's Labour (2007): a blackletter based on a sample that Pia Frauss suspects is due to Michael Baurenfeind, ca. 1716.
- aeiou (2007): a blackletter based on the chancery used by the Hapspurg's who reigned from 1440 to 1493.
- XalTerion (2007): another blackletter.
- Loves Labour (2011). Blackletter.
- Mala Testa (2012). A chancery hand based on a writing sample titled Lettere piacevolle taken from A booke containing divers sortes of hands, published by J. de Beauchesne and J. Baildon, in 1571.
- Mitre Square (2012). A script face based on a handwriting dsample from the files of the Jack The Ripper case in 1888.
- Son of Time (2012). Based on the handwriting of Giovanni Borgia (Joan Borja), duke of Gandia, who was the son of a pope and the grandfather of a saint.
- Tycho's Elegy (2012). Based on the chancery hand of Tycho Brahe (1597, Denmark).
Dafont link. Yet another URL. Klingspor link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Oberlin, OH-based foundry of Shane Brandes (b. Lakefield, MN, 1974), who made the historic semi-blackletter revival Augsburger2009 (2009), which was inspired by one of Ernhardt Ratdolt's (1442-1528) many beautiful typefaces. Ratdolt was a printer from Augsburg, hence the name. River Liffey (2009) is based on a typeface used by James Williams an Irish printer active in Dublin during the late 18th century. Rising Sun (2009, blackletter) was inspired by Gering and Remboldt's work during the late 1490s in Paris.
Charlemagne (2010) is an imaginary medieval script. Fleurious (2010) are ornaments. Sweynheym Pannartz (2010) is modeled after an example Conrad Sweynheym and Arnold Pannartz used in their early printing venture in Subiaco, Italy which began around 1465. Ballard (2010) was inspired by a font used by Henrie Ballard, who operated on Fleet Street at the Signe of the Bear in London from ca. 1597-1608. White Now (2010) is a music note font. Enn'agrammaton (2010) is a cryptographic font. Pluton (2010) is a fixed width font with over 1400 glyphs. Old Venexia (2010) simulates an irregular medieval type. Black Tie (2010) is a simple monoline sans family. Azabercna (2010) is based on gothic principles. Alchimistes (2010) is a medieval symbol face, while Florati (2010) provides a set of ornamental caps. Wappenstein (2010) is an angular stone-carved face: The font Wappenstein was inspired by the carving on a memorial stone located in Paderborn, Germany. The stone was a Epitaph of the Brenkener family, and the carver is known as the Meister des Brenkener Familienepitaphs. The carving, dating to 1562, currently is curated by the Erzbischöfliches Diözesanmuseum in the city of Paderborn and was originally in the Brenkener Pfarr Kirche. Boston 1851 (2010) is based on a stereotype used by Wier and White, Printers of Boston, that was created by the New England Stereoype Foundry under the auspices of Hobart and Robbins, also of Boston. Cruxially (2010) is a 500-glyph dingbat font with crosses.
Gaspardo (2011) is an art deco display face. Anguillette (2011) is a quaint grungy face. Ernst (2011) is a very simple but large handprinted face. The blackletter face Schoeffer (2011) is based on Typ.7:146/148G also known as Gesellschaft für Typenkunde plate no. 258, by Peter the Younger (son of Peter Schoeffer), cut ca. 1509-1520. Printers in Marks is a printer mark dingbat face created in 2011. Cat E Poultry (2011) is a scanbat face of cats. Lucas Brandis (2011) is based on section headings used by printer Lucas Brandis the first printer to operate in the city of Lübeck around 1473.
Creations in 2012: Vine Street, Nicolaus Kesler (a blackletter type based on one of the typefaces of Basel-based Nicolaus Kessler, 15th century), Modality Antiqua (straight-edged and mechanical), Martin Crantz (2012: Martin Crantz (or sometimes Krantz) of the three, including Ulrich Gering and Michael Friburger, that set up a press at the Sorbonne in 1470 was likely the fellow who had the technical know how how to cast the type itself, hence the name of this new face that is based on his work.). Modality Antiqua and Modality Novus are explorations of the octagonal principle. Zainer is a rough-edges renaissance era typeface named after Augsburg-based printer Günther Zainer who was active from 1468-1478. Swine And Roses is based on a Free Mason script. Ammurapi is a Ugaritic script face.
Typefaces from 2013: Andreae (a Fraktur based on a 16th century font by Hieronymus Andreae, who first worked as woodblock cutter and then became a publisher in the city of Nuremberg until his death in 1565), Dropsomaniacal (Lombardic), Therhoernen (grungy medieval script after a Cologne-based printer Arnold Therhoernen, active from 1470-1483), Rusch (a 1000-glyph revival of a late 15th century antiqua by Adolf Rusch von Ingweiler, who was active in Strasbourg from 1460-1489), Gutknecht (a Schwabacher based on a font used by Jobst Gutknecht, a printer in Nuremburg from 1514-1542). The rough blackletter typeface Kachelofen and Konrad Kachelofen are named after Konrad Kachelhofen, a printer in Leipzig active from 1482 until 1529. Albrecht Pfister (2013) is a textura face based on Biblia Paperum, which was printed by Pfister in Bamberg, ca. 1460.
Richard Beatty (Colorado) made beautiful fonts, often revivals and interpretations of old typefaces and calligraphic designs, around 1990-1993 under the name "Richard Beatty Designs". In all, he created over 500 designs, but most were only for private or corporate use. Typefaces:
- Baxter New Style (1988), Baxter Old Style (1988)
- Beatty Victoriana (1991): a set of five Victorian era fonts---Wanted, Spiral, Recherché, Hermosa and Childs (1985). Hermosa and Childs are nearly art nouveau. Childs is a revival of an 1892 face by Hermann Ihlenburg. Puzzling note: the Linotype catalogue says that Kismet was designed in 1879 by John F. Cumming. When you look at Spiral by Richard Beatty, you find a close copy of Kismet; Beatty says it's an "edited version of Kismet", but he holds the copyright. Is this another case of legal cloning?
- Benjamin (2002, BeattyType): from sketches by Ed Benguiat.
- BernardsHand (beautiful medieval hand)
- Borders (1990, some designed by R. Mitchell and R. Beatty)
- Calligraph Initials (1997): a Lombardic face.
- Desdemona (1994, +Black): art nouveau
- Duchy, Duchy Initials (2002): A blackletter face based on a sketch by Ed Benguiat of Benton's Dutch Initials.
- Elizabeth (1994, BeattyType): An all caps almost uncial face.
- Fanny Mitchell, Fanny Mitchell Initials
- Goudy faces [Goudy is his favorite type designer]: Goudy Claremont (1993: based on Scripps College Old Style), Goudy Italian, Goudy Mediaeval Beatty, Goudy Saks (1990: based on a typeface designed in 1934 by Goudy for Saks Fifth Avenue in New York), Kennerley Old Style (1986, after Goudy's 1911 design)
- Jensen Eusebius, Jensen Eusebius New Style (1989)
- Mediaeval Calligraphy
- Ornaments (based on 1928 figures drawn by E. Adler)
- Overdressed (2002): based on a sketch by Edward Benguiat for his Phototype Company.
- Prairie Poster (Plain, Fancy): arts and crafts face.
- Quillsong (calligraphic)
- ReneLouis (1992)
- Rolls Royce Designer
- Velda (2005, connected hand): the handwriting of Velda Burgess Will, classmate of the designer.
- White Tie, White Tie Relaxed (2005): roman lettering.
[Ingrimayne Type (was: The Bovine Rebellion)]
Type designer from Staffs, UK. His 114 free creations, all done between 1992-1998, include AmertonOutline, AmertonOutlineItalic, Cambridge (a copy of University Roman), Cardiff, CardiffBold, CardiffBoldItalic, CardiffItalic, Carolus, CarolusItalic, Circled, Colton, ColtonSmallCapitals, Curborough, CurboroughBold, CurboroughBoldItalic, CurboroughItalic, Derrington, Dresden, Dublin, DublinBold, DublinHollow, Dunstall (art nouveau), Fradley, FradleyBlack, FradleyBold, FradleyBoldItalic, FradleyExtended, FradleyExtendedItalic, FradleyItalic, FradleyNarrow, FradleyNarrowItalic, FrysOrnamented, GloucesterOpenFace, Gresham, Hanch, HanchBold, HanchBoldItalic, HanchItalic, HanfordScript, Jana, Jarrow (uncial), KeeleDecorated, Lancaster (blackletter), Libra, LongdonDecorative, Loxley, Lydian, Milford, MilfordBlack, MilfordBold, MilfordBoldItalic, MilfordCondensed, MilfordCondensedBold, MilfordCondensedBoldItalic, MilfordCondensedItalic, MilfordHollow, MilfordItalic, MilfordLight, MilfordLightItalic, Milwich (Lombardic), NationalFirstFont, NationalFirstFontDotted, NationalPrimary, NationalPrimaryDotted, Newborough, NewportGothic, NewportGothicItalic, Newtown, NewtownBold, NewtownBoldItalic, NewtownItalic, Orgreave, OrgreaveBold, OrgreaveBoldItalic, OrgreaveExtendedBold, OrgreaveExtendedBoldItalic, OrgreaveExtendedItalic, OrgreaveExtendedNormal, OrgreaveItalic, Oxford, Plymouth, QueensPark, QueensParkBold, QueensParkBoldItalic, QueensParkItalic, Rochester, Rosart, StoweOpenFace, StoweTitling, StoweTitlingItalic, SudburyBook, SudburyBookBold, SudburyBookBoldItalic, SudburyBookItalic, SudburyLight, SudburyLightItalic, Swansea, SwanseaBold, SwanseaBoldItalic, SwanseaItalic, TamworthGothic, Telford, TelfordHollow, TelfordHollowItalic, TelfordItalic, Tiverton, TrajanusRoman, Tutbury (blackletter), TutburyBold, TutburyBoldItalic, TutburyItalic, Typewriter, TypewriterBold, WrexhamScript, WrexhamScriptLight, Yoxall, YoxallBold, YoxallBoldItalic, YoxallItalic. Many of these are text families, both sans (like Milford) and serif (like Fradley). The collection is largely a revival or an extension of historic typefaces. Specialty styles covered by him include blackletter (Derrington, Lancaster, Rochester), ornamental caps (Dresden), calligraphic scripts (Hanford Script, Wrexham Script), uncial (Libra) and medieval (Milwich).
Fontspace link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Roland John Goulsbra
Creator of the children's handwriting fonts AgrafieLL (1994) and AlexieLL (1994), both available from Linotype. He also made Linotype Textur Gotisch (2002) and Textur Lombardisch (2002).
Linotype link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Scriptorium (Ragnarok Press, Fontcraft)
[David Fleming Nalle]
Dave Nalle was born in Beirut in 1959, but lives and works in Texas. He is currently in Manor, TX. From his wiki page: Dave Nalle is a political writer, game author and font designer who was active in the early history of the development of the internet. He is Chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus, a group that promotes libertarianism within the Republican Party and is Senior Politics Editor at Blogcritics online magazine and is the CEO of Scriptorium Fonts. A creative and prolific designer, he has made hundreds of beautiful (often historic) fonts. His outfit, Scriptorium (based near Austin, TX, est. 1989), also does custom font and logo design. At some points, Scriptorium was also known as Ragnarok Press and Fontcraft. It specializes in artsy and ancient faces. Some subset of the fonts is made by Michael Scarpitti. Free font demos.
Images of his best selling fonts. Special subpages:
Some selected fonts: Captain Kidd (2012, an original font design based on the title lettering from the classic pirate movie starring Charles Laughton), Aerobrush (2011), Fondry Ornament (2009), Artkinson Egyptian (2008, after the lettering of Frank Atkinson), Verne (2008), Goldwork (almost blackletter), BigBlok (2010), LetterpressGothic (2010), Plymouth (2010, in the style of Cooper Bold), Broadley (2008, an architecturally inspired script based on lettering by British architect and designer C.F.A. Voysey), Locksley (2004, medieval lettering), Tuscarora (curly lettering), Fiorenza (Renaissance calligraphy), Hesperides (old colonial calligraphic script), Angelus (beautifully printed monospaced script), Esperanza (1996, connected medieval handwriting), Ithuriel (2002), Alleghieri (2002), Hamilton (2002), Spiral Initials, Zothique (great font, based on hand lettering from a map of Clark Ashton Smith's fantasy world of Zothique), Reynard (semi-Celtic), Daresiel (elegant script), Caliph (1992, Arabic simulation), Bassackwards, Rosalinde (1999, handwriting), Arakne (2000, connected handwriting), Falconis (by Michael Scarpitti), Asrafel (semi-Celtic), Swithin (2004), Tyrfing (Art Nouveau/Fraktur, 1999), Waldeck (2008, blackletter), Woburn Initials, Stampwork, Draughtwork, Roughwork (all rubber stamp fonts), Melusine (gothic calligraphy), Corbei (uncial), Niederwald (hand lettering), Gjallarhorn (great uncial), Gaiseric (early medieval uncial), Taranis (1987, an uncial first drawn as a font for the cover of the old Ysgarth roleplaying system), De Bellis (roman era, by Michael Scarpitti), Engravers Gothic, Monimental Initials, Sanhedrin (Enemy of the State font), Vespasiano (roman capitals, by Michael Scarpitti), Bilitis, Hendrix (2002), Collins OE (old English), Samedi, Praitor, Evadare (1993, based on a character set which was hand calligraphed by Rudolf Koch), Koch Fantasie (1993), Black Cow (1998). Zothique, Ruritania, Mariner (2004, based on hand lettering originally done by Willy Pogany), Trinculo (a swinging cursive font), Texas Star (2002), Octavian (antique demi-serif font), Ruffian (antique type font), Ascelon (thin sans serif font), Munich (title lettering from Munchner Jugend magazine), Necromantic (bizarre bold titling font), Titania (romantic decorative lettering font), Oberon (bold romantic font), Knotwork, Guede (1993), Pullman, Purcell (Victorian circus poster style font), Allegheny, Carmilla, Malagua (1999-2013), Ardenwood, Platthand, Buccaneer, Cochin Archaic (2010), Boswell (1994), Guilford (based on lettering by artist and calligrapher Eric Sloane), Ekberg (2002, based on a sample of poster lettering by Samuel Welo), Death Ray (2012, constructivist), Alecto (futuristic), Candlemas (2003), Bridgeport (2003, based on lettering by artist and calligrapher Eric Sloane), Medieval Tiles (2003), Linthicum (2003), Draughtwork (2003), Yngling (Fraktur, 2003), Rheingold (elaborate Fraktur: Music Hall Text elsewhere; see also Teuton Text, Cincinnati Type Foundry, 1877), Kidd (2003), Belgravia (2004), Peck Shields (2004), Albrecht Durer Gothic (2004), Orpheus (2004), InduXtrial (2004, a grunge face), Yoshitoshi (2003), Veronique (2004), Veneto (2006), Vidilex (1993, monospaced), Abelarde (2006), John Speed (1993), Furbelow (2006), Estoril (2006), Tangle, Aventine (sans), Texas Star (2002), Groningen (Bauhaus design), Nevins Hand, Scrapple (2011, Victorian, ornamental), Leodegar (2011, based on samples of 7th century Frankish hand lettering), Candlemass (2012).
- Three free fonts: Onuava (a mini-serifed hybrid fixed-width font), Divona (sans), Sirona (based on Lombardic calligraphy).
- Decorative initials such as the 20th century sign lettering initials set Pencraft Initials (2009), Holly Initials (2010, based on Real PenWork (1880s, Knowles and Maxim), Vyones (2010), Vergennes (2001), Cascade (2009), Bergling (2010; based on initials by John M. Bergling).
- Wild West fonts: Academy, Atkinson Boomtown (2009, after the lettering of Frank Atkinson), Atkinson Eccentric (2009), BigIron, Cibola, Lachesis, Perdido, Plowright, Primer, Riudoso, Niederwald, San Lorenzo (2011, with a Mexican and Tuscan look), Stonehouse, Manquo, Rochambeau, Purcell, Vaquero.
- Arabic simulation fonts: Samaritan is based on the poster lettering of Alphons Mucha from his poster for the play La Samaritan. Serendib and Waziri are based on the hand lettering of René Bull from his edition of the Arabian Nights. Caliph (1993) is derived from Ernst Schneidler's classic Legende font, with variant characters based on his original lettering. And there is also Samarkand.
- Celtic fonts: the fonts include the Durrow font (1993, traditional rendering of Insular Minuscule calligraphy), Malvern, Glendower (based on the most common lettering in the Book of Kells), Knotwork (caps based on Celtic knots), Alba Text (modernized text font based on Celtic uncial lettering), Lindisfarne (based on a square uncial style), Stonecross (1997, derived from Celtic cross and gravestone inscriptions), Celtic Spirals (dingbats), Celtic Borders font (lets you combine key strokes to form decorative borders; many frames and borders are original Celtic designs by Arts&Crafts period artists like Evelyn Paul and Louis Rhead), Spiral Initials, Brigida (based on Rudolph Koch's interpretation of a squared uncial), Coverack (heavy non-traditional uncial), Dahaut (modernized uncial), Morgow (1999, spiral uncial), Teyrnon (elaborate spurred uncial), Padstow (heavy uncial), Vafthrudnir (2011, uncial), Sualtim and Columba (decorative initials based on characters found in the Book of Kells), Albemarle (2001).
- Oriental simulation fonts: Yoshitoshi (2003, based on the 1900-style writing by Yoshi Toshi.
- Gothic fonts, including Alt Gothic, Koch Gothic, Barnabas (2011), Montgisard (2010, roman capitals with blackletter lower case), Montressor (2010, ornamental blackletter capitals), T4C Beaulieux (1998, a free copy here), Bastarda (2011), Burgundian, Cadeaulx, Collins OE, Cortrai, Ereshkigal, Franconian (1993, a Schwabacher), Froissart (2000), Ghost Gothic, Magdeburg, Melusine, Monressor (2010, blackletter caps), Pyle Gothic, Rheingold, Sanctum, Stuttgart Gothic (2010), Textura, Theodoric, Yngling (2002).
- Renaissance fonts: Monumental Gothic, Caswallon, humanistic cursive (Palmieri, Castiglione and Hanes Italic), quirky Italian cursives (Fiorenza and Alleghieri), a Roman style hand-lettered font (Rudolfo and Rudolfo Swash), a Trajan-style Roman lettering (Hadrianus), a classic flourished cursive (Trinculo) and a set of floral intials from the Quattrocento (Fraticelli).
- Modern poster fonts: Ascelon, Bilitis, Cosmic Dude, Dromon, Ducatus Rough, Eglantine, Ekberg, Fortinbras, Hamilton, Jambon, Oblivion, Posada (2008, based on the poster lettering of Mexican artist José Guadalupe Posada), Squiffy, Suspicion, Magnin (2003).
- Mapmaker fonts: building elements are available in Basilica; Ortelius is a map dingbat font; Queensland (based on lettering by artist and calligrapher Eric Sloane), is bold, hand-drawn and reminiscent of medieval writing on maps. There are also Brandywine, Windlass (1996), and Cityscape. Orford (2008) is based on samples of hand lettering from a 1693 manuscript collected by Lewis Day in his classic book on historical paleography, Alphabets Old and New.
- Calligraphic fonts: Albemarle (2001), Azariel, Moncrief (2011, based on the calligraphy of J.M. Bergling), Pavane, Rasael (2009), Abdiel (2005), Roncesvalles, Gazardiel (2003, connected script), Spoonbill (2003, arts and crafts), Maacteris (Roman uncial font), Antioch Uncial (Roman uncial font), Burgundian (Classic black letter font), Franconian (993, a classic black letter font), Castiglione (Attractive Renaissance lettering), Cicero (Roman Rustica font), Formidable (1993, very bold late medieval / Lombardic style), Collins Old English (Classic Old English style gothic), Corbei Uncial (Roman uncial font), Cymbeline (late medieval lettering), Durrow (Standard insular minuscule uncial font), Theodoric (Classic black letter font), Ghost Gothic (Unusual gothic font), Glendower (Uncial font based on Book of Kells), Gloriana (Interesting hand lettering style), Folkard (from the hand-lettering of Charles Folkard), Offenbach Chancery, Ranegund Merovingian Courthand, Benevento (8th century Lombardic), Hesperides.
- Art deco faces: Borealis (2009), Criterion (2011), Illuminata, Madding (2009, a bold poster font that grew out of Aventine), Alexandrine (2009), art Deco Stencil (2009, based on samples of Art Deco stencil lettering by Pedro Lemos), Falmouth.
- Art nouveau faces: Acadian, Agravain (2009), Amphitryon (2009), Ariosto, Asphodel, Beaumains (2011, based on J.M. Bergling's lettering), Beauvoir, Belgravia (based on J.M. Bergling), Bernhardt (based upon the lettering of the Czech art-nouveau artist Alphonse Mucha), Bentham, Berenicia, Boetia (2003, based on J.M. Bergling's lettering), Bruges, Bucephalus (1993), Burd Ellen (2009), Butterfield, Curetana, Elsene (2011, based on lettering by early 20th century illustrator Clara Elsene Peck), Elysian, Flaubert, Gaheris, Ganelon, Goodfellow, Harbinger, Jugendstil Kunsthand (2003), Lysander, Maginot, Munich (after the Munchner Jugend magazine), Norumbega, Odeon, Ormandine (2010), Pantagruel, Phaeton, Reggio, Rochmbeau, Rockne (2009), Rudolfo, Setebos, Sprite, Summerisle, Sylphide (2005), Undine, Valentin (2008), Vambrace (2010), Walhal.
- Arabian-look fonts: Caliph, Satampra, Serendib, Jerash, Samaritan, Samarkand, Waziri.
- Interview and bio.
- Latest designs.
- Myfonts link.
- Mass download of most Scriptorium demo fonts at Fontflood.
- Modern poster fonts: Field Day (2003), Ascelon, Bilitis, Cosmic Dude, Dromon, Ducatus Rough, Eglantine, Ekberg, Fortinbras, Hamilton, Jambon, Oblivion, Squiffy.
- Constructivist fonts: Krasny Mir (2009), Vrubel, Structura (1997).
- Futuristic fonts: Alecto, Angelus, Circuit, Culdrose, Gearhead, Ironclaw, Parika, Sanhedrin, Semiramis (1997), Slither, Structuro, Yazata, Adastra (dings).
- Borders and ornaments. These include New Arets and Crafts Borders (20912, based on The Calendar of Golden Thoughts (Barse and Hopkins Publ, 1911).
- Boneyard fonts: Antrobus (2010), Sepultura (2002), Halloweenies, Dementia, Boneyard, Skull and Bones, Malagua (1999-2013), Paleos (2002, from titling of B movies in the cave girl genre), Carmilla, Abaddon, Black Cow (1998), Valdemar, Cuede, Ligeia, Mayhem, Mephisto, Golgotha, Sanguinary, Ironworks, Moravia, Gehenna, Nosegrind (2005, graffiti), Corpus, Ghostly.
- School fonts: Schoolhand (2010).
- Arts and Crafts movement (late Victorian period, 19th century), based on work and lettering by Walter Crane, William Morris, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Elbert Hubbard. The Arts&Crafts movement was enormously influential on the works of designers, artists and architects of the 20th century, and inspired the Art Nouveau and Art Deco movements. Fonts include William Morris' Kelmscott (based on Morris' Troy type), and True Golden, fonts from the Glasgow branch of the movement like Chelsea Studio (1997), which is based on Charles Rennie Mackintosh's lettering, fonts from the Roycrofters of New York like Semiramis and Ganelon, fonts based on Walter Crane's work such as Crane Gothic, Pencraft Initials (2009) and Walter Crane, and even fonts from the California Arts&Crafts period of the early 1900s like Coloma. Other typefaces: Aylward, Palmyra (based on work by the Roycrofters, a design community founded by Elbert Hubbard), Aylward (2010, Victorian), Hyacinth Initials, Spoonbill, Adresack (1996), Brandywine, Changeling (2009, based on lettering by fairy artist Fanny Railton), Ganelon, Goddard, and Advertising Gothic (2003), Valentin, Gaheris, Agravain (2009). Delaguerra (2001-2009) is based on a lettering style originating in the California Arts&Crafts period commonly associated with Mission Style. It is still in common usage in signage at historical sites in California.
- Medieval fonts of Scriptorium, critiqued by Marc Smith, page 65: Batwynge is based on lettre gffe by Geofroy Tory (1529), and not on an illuminated manuscript of the tenth century as claimed by Scriptorium.
Fonts from 2013: Original Django (after the titling font in Quentin Tarantino's movie Django Unchained).
Klingspor link. Abstract Fonts link. Dafont link.
View David Nalle's typefaces. [Google]
Author of Von der Schrift und den Schriftarten (Reinhard Welz Vermittler Verlag, Mannheim). These have a history of type and lettering, instructions on lettering (e.g., stroke guide for Antiqua Majuskeln, Lombardische Versalien, and Gotische Majuskeln), some type specimen (mainly German, from the early part of the 20th century), some alphabets, drawn by her, information on the German school scripts, and a German type and lettering glossary: i, ii, iii, iv. It was probably published between 1956 and 1959.
In 2010-2012, Dick Pape created a number of (mostly caps-only) typefaces based on that book. These include SSWAntiquaPionsel, SSWAntiquaVersalien (a caps set based on Ludovico Vicentino, 1523), SSWCelticAntiquaOutline, SSWFederAntiqua, SSWHollowScript, SSWHolz (Lombardic caps), SSWJensonsAntiqua, SSWLeopoldAntiqua, SSWLombardischeVersalien, SSWMannheimOrnament, SSWPlakatschrift (a useful outline alphabet), SSWRoundPrinting, SSWRusticAlphabet, SSWRusticScript, SSWSchablonenschrift (Bauhaus-style stencil face), SSWUrbanAntiqua-Versal, SSWWoodcuts.
Download Pape's fonts here. [Google]
St. Rachan Typeworks
Free fonts by Jim Strachan (Canada): Bibliotheque, Cigarstore, D'Italia (nice stencil font), Mumblypegs (1999), Medieval Scribish (1999, Lombardic), Stampede (1999). Several medieval fonts. Dafont link. [Google]
Designer from Sewickley, PA, who created an exaggerated ornamental Lombardic face in 1959. He made a pointed pen font in 1965. [Google]
The Bloody Gospel--Fonts
Archive with about 20 gothic/scary/bloody fonts. Featuring Visitation, Evil Clown, Lombardic, Punker Chicks in Leather Jackets, Black forest and CreepyGirl. [Google]
The Happy Greyhound
[John A. Hern]
The Happy Greyhound is John Hern's metal type foundry in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. It sells and ships metal type, including an interesting-looking Heintzemann Fraktur [after Karl Heintzemann], and nice sets of initials such as the John Alden Initials, Ben Franklin Initials, Lombardic Initials, and Massey Initials, as well as several great border sets. [Google]
Thomas Wood Stevens
Early 20th century designer of letters, such as Art Nouveau Capitals, Italic Capitals, Italic Lowercase, Modern Script Italics, Modern German Italic Capitals, Modern Round Gothic, Uncial (based on a 14th century manuscript), Venetian Modern Capitals, Roman Lowercase, Modern German.
Author of Lettering (1916, The Prang Company, New York). He was at the Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh. PDF file.
Digital remakes include Wood Stevens (2012, Intellecta). [Google]
[Torbjørn Engs typografisider]
Torbjørn Engs typografisider
Pages on Norwegian typography maintained by Torbjørn Eng. He designed Frisianus (1994-1995), a gorgeous script font based on lettering of Gerhard Munthe (1904), which has some Lombardic influences in the capitals, and a totally blackletter set of minuscules. There is also an absolutely gorgeous fat display face called Norges Alphabet (1990), which may or may not be available to the general public. It is supposed to represent all that is good about Norwegian values; quality, minimalism, contrast, originality. Eng discusses fonts that are appropriate for Norwegian [article from 1993]. [Google]
The fonts produced in 2002 by Manfred Klein: Bauhouse, ClassiCaps Xmas 2002, GGothique MK, Lombardic, Mouse Traces, Music Elements, DreiDreiDreiBlack, Griffo's Font, Noisy Buttons, Hamlet ToBeOrNot, Oszillo Caps, Cave Paintings, Rodgauer (a CODEX-like font), Prinz Eugen (medieval font), DreiDee Sketches, Typo Cubes, AustralBats, RoundMouseBats, Torynitialen, Wood Cutted, FlowerPower, Graf Typo (a CODEX-like family), Solitaire, Breeze, Eyes, Lead Types Heap, Petit Fleur, ABCari, Floralalpha, Karlas ABC-Start, OliJo Bold, Athena Handwritten, The BroadWay, MK Squares, Incunitials, Luc's Plants, Monte Petito, Before Alphabets 4, Threedimensional, Blind Reading, Zebral Caps, Before Alphabets 3, Braille Latin, Tangoasis, Katrins (handwriting of Katrin Dillmann, Manfred's daughter), Laurens Erste (handwriting of Laurens Dillmann, Manfred's grandson), Tangodoni, Typesetters TV, Unscreen, Caps MKS, Haunted, Mouse Scribbles, RunishMK, Fatsans, Rotten Script, Stormy, Strong Dots, Caro Mio, Reduce 2 Max, Pudels Kerning, Cheerio, Gersans, ArabDances (Arabic simulation font, with Cybapee), Slab Serif Written, Shalom (Hebrew simulation), Bloxx Serif, Kara Ben Nemsi (an Arabic simulation font), Remember Cassandre, Wieynk Caps Round, Fragment Caps, Golden Swing, Tango Macabre (a gorgeous font in which letters are made with skeletons), Eye Beings, Frax Handwritten, HotsBlots, Latin China (oriental lettering), Dinos Fragments, HotchPotch, SketchBats, AmorE, Chinawestern (oriental simulation), Valentine Flies, AmorEatPersia, AmorEmoticons, Artfacts, The Kiddies, ConstrAccident, Kochs Roots, AnimSilhous, Framed Frax Caps, K-Arrows, GridEx Gallery, K-Arrows B, Swinging Petidoni, Big Swinging SlabS, Relief Caps, Shapes 1-3, Petitscript, Shapes Four, Fullsize Sans, Petitscript Italic, Shapes A 1-3, Imperium Serif, Big Broken, Semaphore, MKalligFrax, Pix Caps, Slabsoft, Windy City, Slabsoft, Windy City, Timeless, Against Rules, Berolina, FabCreatures, CookinDada, FoodnDrinks One, HabSpass-HaveFun, Mighty, Klammeraffen Italic, Elefontitis Xtreme, Cairotiqua Freestyle, Eastereggs, Cave People, RandoMiKa, Big Ella, Hands Subversive 1+2, Build Your Own People, Antroposofia, EasterChicken, GridRiding, Irish Sketches, KidPicts, MatrixbuK, Dornspitz Grotesk, PeaceBats, Arte FS, Eagles Buttons, BlowinInWind, Cave Popart, Karla 1B, Crosses, SharkJockey, Toscanienne, SilhousTwo, Kleins Three Pixel, Religionen, Shapes One-Popart, Shapes Two, ShapesTwo, QuickBats, QuickWritten, KidsDrawings, QuickBats 1.1, Shapes Strokebrushes, SteepQuickHand, Steepiqua, Sleepklill, Steepodoni, New Aliens, SteepTypewriter, CarpetParts, Fourfeeters, Steepidien, Yumiya Arrows, HotHats FS, Eyes Gallery, Steeprump, Zebra Shapes, GrafFitty, KidsArt, Klones, Belly Sans Condensed, Tshirts Springtime, Landscapes, Pastfuturum, typOasis Uncial, ABC Thru, Parma Petit, SpaceLiving, FS Funkturm, TorysTools, Aero Sans, MouseToons, Parma Petit Outline, KL1 MonoCaseKrux, Remember Reiner, Frungtura FS, Perforation Strip, Weimar, Gothic Caps, HumanPartsPoetry, Archetypo Bricks, Human Parts, Big Dots, Spiders Club, MirrorBlack, Mirror Chicken, MonoMouse, MousefraKtur, AmericanNatives, DaVincy Cut, Mouse Liturgic Sketches, MKlunger FS, Waldoni New Torsi, Bradburys Shadow Paseo, Horses, Jessica Plus, Farm Animals, Fat Free Frax, BugsNFriends, Gut Joe Black, People Sketches, Human Parts, Cycling, MousePen, Unknown Heads, NowTheWeather, Qbicle MK, Strange Friends, AfroBats, AmNativeTwo, Bayreuth Fraktur, FingerSinging, Cuxhaven Times, Schwabach Duemille, Balloons, MathRosetts, Folks, Frankophile, Caslonish Fraxx, Has Bodoni Scribbled, Peace Damaged, Wrong Types Shadows, AnimaliaScissored, Bredda, Variations In Geo Dur, QuarrelerPlus, Montages Surrealistiques, Twinset Sans, The Muscle Fetish, Mammothisch, Animali Silhouetti, EleFontissimo, Neopan, Animals Two, Loopings, Logovals, Spiderish FS, Jugendstil FS, LucSan Faces, Crazy Written, Luc Plants Growin Again, Klein Hollywood, For Kids, Total Krass, Pesces Bizarri, Headbirthes Two FS, Stampede, Tribut to Warhol, DadaSchwitters, Van Doesburg, KleinScribere, MK Uncilae, FranKlein, Tschich (unitype suggested by Jan Tschichold in 1929), MK Logo Sketches, Something FS, Stencilia, Kritzel Three, Steep Oldstyle, Steepimbo, Cairotiqua Light, SteepSlab, Toms Beings (a great!!!! collection of critters), FraktSketch, MouseGrafitty, Luther Stencil, RudolfsBats, Blackberry Plants, Circus Klein, Klein Reunion, Squashed Random, Strokey, Uncial Buttons, WaComToon, JohannesButtons, BlackWhiteGrids, Johannes Buttons / Bricks+Traces, MAntiKwa, Vehicles, EyesNStrokes, Babelfish Children, Chaos, MKarolingish, Swiss Cheese, Archibeta, Frankly Spoken, Hardware, Neptunia, Rotunda Espagna, Hardware, Arabuttons, Bodoni Flying, Eggheads Crying, PopNonsens, ScrapTiqua, St Dinah, Confusica, Crazygrams, Human Redesign, Crazyness, MKorsair, Big Caesar, MoveU, MyMedieval, RodauButtons, RodauButtonsInverse, Owls&Friends, Obliqua Romana, Oggi Angular, JohG Diamonds, Ornamen, SlabStick, Morbus Parkinson Fraxx, FolksTypo, AidaSerifaCondensed, Big Cheese, Viecher, MKOCR, Decollagena, Concrete Poets, Swinging Sans, KlausBFraktur, Peitinho, Openbuttons, MCapitals, Cavebats 1-4, BonSans, Folks, Gotica Caps, SketchesForPainting, XmasSketches, FolksCircleNegative, FolksCirclePositive, FolksDecoon-Light, KarlasBats, KleinSlabSerif, KleinSlabSerifBold, CantaraGotica (Fraktur), Logomatique (experimental, minimalist), LogomatiqueShadow, LogomatiqueBold, WorkWithGrids1202, WorkWithGridsButtons, WorkWithGridsRandom, WorkWithGridsStageC, Living Yesterday, Xmas 2002, Schneesterne, CaveBats 1A+2B, Nautilus, LateBirds, SpiralusKrux, SpiralusFaces, Smokescreen (with Petra Heidorn). [Google]
Manfred Klein's typefaces from 2003: FictionBeings, MK Silhouetta Round, FlyOnYou, Karlas Bats, Maenneken, Spiralish Two, WhoIsTheTerrorist, Avanti Dilettanti, Aggressors Bats, Aztecish, Corrodet, Lorbeer, BastardusSans, BaumWell, Bodonitown, WellrockSlab, Cassandra, PreventiveWarOval, Damagedpixfont, EuropeanTypewriter, KarlasStrokemen, PreventiveWarQuestion, Birds With Types, Cubism Creatures, MourningTrauer, BirdsXtreme, BirdsToolbox, WantedTerrorists, TheRoots, MK Latino Plain, AndBullets, Androidish, BirdsToolbox, BookHeads, CorrodetClassicaps, Damagedpixfont, LateBirds, LateBirdsFS, LateBirdsThree, MKStencilsansBlack, MatisseTraces, MexiKOrnaments, MkLatinoPlain, NonCommercial, PreventiveWarQuestion, QuickBirds, SpiralusFaces, SpiralusKrux, TheRoots, WantedTerrorists, WhereIsTheBirdsDealer, BlueMoonsByDay, BlueMoonsInverse, BruchschriftMK, HalfsAreEnoughLatin, Latine, RandomFrax, Solitaires, SuperSansMKringel, SuperSansStrange, WildBirds, AreHalfsEnough, GeometricWanderlust, HeadfeetersPartialDisturbed, LuziFer, MouseStrokes3D, MouseStrokesCont, MouseStrokesInverseShadow, OlisWebButtonsInvers, PeaceThruGuns, SaulsRandomBirds, Fragmenta, Remi Wacom, Crazy World, Democratic Peace Warriors, OrnithoLogics, People, HelloCleoPetra, VertigoComic, Romi Petito (Miro drawings imitated), LogoFacesToolbox, WirewalkersVertigo, AidaSerifObliqueMedium, BuddhasBigArmy, GridExerciseSerif, Guernica38Remember, LogoFacesArtists, LogoModaRoma, LogoModels, LogoModelsBowToBoss, Silhouettes03, SteepTypewriterMedium, SuddenFall, WoodTypesMK, BrokenSans, FutstencilSerif, MKTypobricks, SegmentaSans, WhyMar, Xperimentypo FS, HouseGhosts, MKEyeMinals, StrangeBeings, AlwaysBig, Old Constructed Caps, Fat Floralphabet, MannohK Serif, TheyWasNiceMurdersAlways (an anti-war font basic on Guernica), DadaDa, FrancoforteSerifus, Arrowbytes, DingsbumsBats, HeadsTorsi, VollkegelSerif, NiceMurders, Burklein, Comicontemporary, ConstrxiaBlackInline, DadasDreams, EgyptAxt, KleinBricksNegative, AntiquaInGrid, GiveMeFive, Bitsbats, SilhouettesInGrids, BigSlabHammer, BurkleinOblique, JustOldFashion, KleinsanBold, Oliver, Gipfelkoepfe, HolySimplicity, Standing Buttons, 52 Letters, FriendlyFire, Lettersoup, Manga Axt, SplinterMKaps, GiambattistaVsPetit, TypoGhosts, ZagZag, MotionTools, MouseDroodles, Topnotches, TypoAnarchycalEyes, LaCittaShadow, Venezia, ReadingHelpersInvers, RoughRockys, SchulVokalDots, Analphabetism, Circularia, HalfCircleAlphabetXP, Multistrokes, Unzialish, ChildrenDingbats, EveryPictureTellsAStory, OgiRema, CrazyCrazySans, Sketched Alphabet, HerrCoolesWriting, Julius Caesar Black, AliensNew, PadBats, WaPicts, ImperiumLatineSerif, KleinsForgottenRoman, Helixal, MKDrawings, MKDrawingsPeople, FriendlyFireBullets, BirdsAndOtherBeings, Pinocchionish, PointGallery, Spiralicus, AfroDesigns, Frontal, MangaMaterial, NiceNeighbours, HerdeckeSans, ParmaCrazy, QuadrigAlphabetTwo, HellasDust, WildBradoni, Sketchiqua, FragmentuM, LogoHalfnHalf, MKSzene, Neudoerffer, StrokesNBullets, CircusStars, Facialish, Kleerikale, Kleinkeys, OnKleesTraces, NearAldus, NearJanTschich, Climbers, Krakelfabet, Amoebats+Climbats, ClimbersPhantasies, Karlas, Anarchists, Masks, SpaceCrew, Latins, Characters, FrontalButtons, GernKleinThree, MouseScribbles, Scannings, KidsFirstPrintFont, CuneyChars, VenetianBlind, MKartoonKoepfe, MouseAsBrush, SilhouFaces, TaurusCowboys, ShakeySlabserif, BodoniXT, EyelecBats, HowDrawAFish, Klill-LightTallX, MissingLinks, SansBroadway, Serifsketchia, SprayersFriends, LetterBuildings, SpaceAttacks, MouseAsPainter, MouseLearnMiro, CybaPee, ConstrxiaBlack, LetterBuildingsRoundContrast, RunningLetters, ZenFrax, ZenFraxCondensed, Gestures, HotJuly, JulySketches, KleinsBirds10, RoundHeads, SketchedBats, CybaPeeBlack, MKSansTallX, MKSerifTallX, BlaxxerifaBeta, CyclopsBlax4Dirk, Cyclop, EclectHeads, Graphis, TheManyMKFaces2, PetitLatin, Bowing, BowingInverse, ElectronicFaces, MKSansTallXMedium, MKSerifTallXMedium, ConstruCaps, PhantasticBeings, SpaceBeings, Traffic, HopeRound, Artefakte, AstroBats, AstroBatsFS, AstrobatsTwo, BabelSans-Bold, BabelSans-BoldOblique, BabelSans-Oblique, BabelSans, CalendarDigits, Drivers, DynamicBeings, FloralOne, FloralTwo, GreekArt, JamboRound, LinoCapsA, LinoCapsAR, LinocapsB, LinocapsBR, LombardiCaps-Round, LombardiCaps, LosAngeles, OsterinselPlus, PixCaps, PixCapsRound, PixCapsShadow, SecretWriting, SlabTallX-Medium, SlabTallX, SportsCartoons, ToolsMK, TypoSlabserif-Light, WeLoveAmericasWisdom, Pixelsplitter, Gonzales Sans, Spiralanautics Two, Circulum, Handiqua, typOasis-Initials, Griddies, InCrossFires, MKreatures, Weapons, Imprimerie, FarmersWrite, MKPixelProject, VeryOblique, AgroFont, SketchedMen, Imprimerie Bold, FoolOnTheHill, FoolsThree, TeleCom, AllesNurGeklaut, MKImprovisations, ZigZagOne, ZigZagTwo, ZigzagAnimals, RunishQuill, DomesticAnimals, HappyBirthday, KLEINigkeiten, TypoLatinSerif, DoodlesWritten, PointerSisters, QuadratZiffern, TypoShadows, MonAmourFraktur, SchaftstiefelKaputt, Birds11, Impossibile, PersonaRondo, Brandomi, GeoSansLight (based on Futura), LatinCondensed, AidaOopsXtra, BodoBlackSquares, BodoDisks, ThreeDeeTwoBeta, TypoBoxesRdTwo, Let'sDance, SilhouettesSocled, StoneAgeFeelings, BorisBlackBloxx (used by Brisbane for its branding), BorisBlackBloxxDirty, Latinia, JonasFragments, WildThingShadow, BallettAbsurdo, CarneVale, CatsDogs, HalloWien, Völkerfreundschaft, OldSansBlack, SteinAntikLight, AntiquaInGrid, SteinAntik, AnimalsMeetings, ArteAfrique, BraveOldWorld, Minidom, MonsTheSecondA, MonsTheSecondB, NipponsMonsBats, SpontanoCondenso, Stadtmusikanten, WacoGraphireSketches, KlitschKOtiqua, IronFraktur, Mons03Beta, Mons04, Pointillism Toolbox, BlackGapSans, DingsUndDas, DingsUndDasRunde, Faces, ForAlchemistsOnly, HalloWienTheTramps, MediaevalBats, MonsTheFifth, Peacetiqua, PickABack, TheTrampsTrash, Abstracta-Bold, AbstractaGrid, EdgedFaces, EdgedFacesKantig, HelloViennaMacabre, Menschen, SchulVokalDotless, Tremolo-DemiBold, Tremolo, Typomolecule, WacoFaces, DirtyThinkwitz, GetierAnimalish, Katrina-Normal, KleinsTypesoup, Koepp, Movieboards, NeudoerfferScribbleQuality, NewEarthCitizens, NewsRoar, OldTypographicSymphony-Regular, OldTypographicSymphony-Round, RupturedSans, SketchesByDuerer, SketchesInTypoasis, SlimSansSerif-Bold, SlimSansSerif, Snoutlike, Squaredances, Wacollection, Wacominals, AntikWaCom, FraxBrix, MKBritishWriting, MKRunes-Light, MKRunes, PointsNDotsImprovisations, DadaGrid, ReadItOrDada, VisualImpressions, AugenEyes, DuerersMinuskeln, GothicMajuscles, KyrillaSansSerif-Black, KyrillaSansSerif-Bold (Cyrillic simulation), LombarDuerer, Mdoodled, WittewittMajuscles-Flourish, WittewittMajuscles-FlourishBricks, ScribbleABit, DadaMeetsStoneage, HarpersBizarre, KarawaneSilhous, KritzelBirds, LightUnciale, Look, Nonserif-Regular, PalatinosTypeSoup, SansXHigh, StoneAgeAgain-Normal, TypoasisBoldGothic, UnderlineMonospace, Wacomedians, AbstractConcretLogo, Animalia, AnimaliaTwo, ClassizismAntiquaBook, HansFraktur, IrishUnciAlphabet, MBats, MKBats, Olivia-Normal, SlabserifXhigh, SuprematismFour, SuprematismOne, SuprematismThree, SuprematismTwo, TypesAntiques, WasWoodcuts, AnimalShadows, ArtGoesPixeled, BellaMusica, BirdsOThree, BlaxxConPersona, CaricaturesHeads, CartoonHeads, Children, FraxInCage, FraxInCageLeftOblique, FraxInCageRightOblique, HansSchoensCapsInGrid, HollaMediaeval-Bold, HollaMediaeval-BoldOblique, HollaMediaeval-Oblique, HollaMediaeval, KleinFeodoraCaps, Leibniz-Regular, NewEarthResidents, OtherPeople, PickUpBats, VierfachRund, WacomicCondensed-Medium, WysiwygBats, XmasBalls. [Google]
First English type founder (b. 1420, 1421 or 1422, Weald of Kent, d. 1491, Westminster). Graphion's site. Many fonts were named after Caxton, such as the Lombardic-styled Caxton Initials (1905, Frederic Goudy, ATF, revived by Alter Littera in 2012), and the ITC Caxton Roman family.
His life's story can be found in Typophiles Chapbook: William Caxton and His Quincentenary (John Dreyfus).
Image of Latin Paslter, 1480-1483.
Image of Caxton Gotisch. [Google]
William H. Bradley
Book designer, poster designer and typographer, born in Boston (1868). He died in 1962. His faces include the following:
- Abbey Text (1895, A.D. Farmer).
- A beautiful unnamed lettering for the Inland Printer (1891-1892).
- He drew the Bradley Series and licensed it to American Type Founders in 1895. That blackletter design was copied and issued by the Inland Type Foundry (as "St. John") and by A.D. Farmer&Son Type Founding Co (as "Abbey Text", still 1895). Several German foundries had metal versions of his 1895 series under the names Halbfette Altgotisch, Altfettgotisch and Amerikanische Altgotisch, such as Bauersche Giesserei and Schelter & Giesecke (1903). A digital version of it was done by Nick Curtis in 2009 and is called Fyne Fish NF, and by Ralph Unger as Bradley Pro (2005, Profonts). Also in 1895, Hermann Ihlenburg at ATF made the Germanic-language version of the Bradley Series. Bradley Roman and Italic saw the light in 1901 when Bradley was writing Peter Poodle, Toymaker to the King, and these faces are known as the Peter Poodle types.
- In 1904, he co-designed Antique Bold with J.W. Phinney and Morris Fuller Benton at ATF.
- His Bewick Roman series (1904) has gorgeous ligatures (tt, ct, and so on). Mac McGrew: Bewick Roman was designed by Will Bradley in 1904 and issued by ATF the following year. It is a quaint display type with a number of unusual characteristics. Several capitals have both wide and narrow versions, although generally the face is rather narrow; there are also several tied charac$Gters and ornaments in the font, as was common with nineteenth-century designs. Compare Rogers, Vanden Houten.
- Wayside Roman and Italic. Mac McGrew: Wayside Roman and Italic were shown by ATF in 1900, as a handsome interpretation of modern face similar to Scotch Roman, but without the heavier capitals of the latter face. Some sources say the designer was Will Bradley, but this is disputed by other authorities, and most likely it is a revival of an older face. It was not in regular production very many years, but special castings have been made at times. Some figures appear to be oversize---6, 7, and 9 in the specimen shown here---but this is a characteristic of the font, although not uniform from one size to another. Also compare Oxford, Bell.
- In 1904, he created the beautiful Chap-Book series (Cuts, Borders, Directors (pointing fingers), Guidons (unbelievable parentheses)), as well as the Mission Toys Ornaments, all at ATF. Thereafter followed Missal Initials, Wayside Borders (1904), Wayside Ornaments (1904), Cloister Borders (1905), Cloister Initials (1905), Indian Borders (before 1908). Some of his ornaments made it to American Pi NF (2006, Nick Curtis) and to the five-font-set Bradley Dingies (by Paulo W, 2009). Mac McGrew: Missal Initials were issued by ATF in 1904; their design has been ascribed to Will Bradley. Derived from fifteenth-century sources, each letter is designed to fill a square area. Compare Caxton Initials, Lombardic Initials. For a digital version of Missal Initials, see Initials ATF Missal Caxton (2012, Alter Littera).
- Bradley Initials (1934). For a degital version, see Glenda de Guzman's Bradley Intials (1994, Font Bureau).
- Vanity (1921-1930) is custom type he made while he was art director.
- His last group of faces was Bradley Combination Ornaments, made in 1952 for Steve Watts, type merchandising director of the American Type Founders Company.
- Roman alphabet by Bradley.
Author of The Art of Illuminating As Practised in Europe from the Earliest Times (1860, Day and Son, Lithographers to the Queen, London). Examples from that book: 14th century Lombardic, 15th century chancery. [Google]