| || |
Graphic designer in Mexico City who created the leafy environmental cause typeface AK Nature in 2014. [Google]
Alexey Dombrovskiy was born in 1964 in Russia (Uzlovaya, Tula region). He graduated from the Tula Polytechnical Institute in 1986. He works in book design. He cooperates with various publishing houses and designs books for the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Russian Entomological Society, the Moscow State University, the Tula State University, and printed matter for the Bolshoi Theatre, the Moscow Kremlin Museums, the State Hermitage Museum. Author of some articles on the history of initials, a topic about which he spoke at ATypI 2008 in St. Petersburg. In that talk, he covered these phases of initial caps development in Russia:
- Cyrillic printed initial caps by 15-17th centuries as the Civil prototype.
- First slavic capitals as serif (1494).
- Francisco Scorina's modernization of Cyrillic type and capital letters (1517-1525).
- Gothic motives in Moscow floriated letters by Ivan Fyodorov and his followers (1564-1677).
- Alternative Cyrillic typefaces at Moskovia's western remote area (17th cent.).
- Sobornoye Ulozhenie by czar Alexey Mikhaylovich: Ltin style of capital letters in Russian corpus juris (1649).
- The Civil type's initials in Peter the Great's editions (1708-1725).
Creator of the all caps floriated outline typeface Florum Ipsum (2012). [Google]
Warsaw, Poland-based designer of the floral caps typeface FlorN (2014). [Google]
Swedish type designer associated with Jagjavi and later Gustav & Brun. See Andreas Gustavsson, who is possibly one and the same. Typefaces:
View Andreas Brunelius's typefaces. [Google]
During her studies at New Design University, St. Pölten, Austria, Anna Yu created the floriated typeface Leafy (2014). [Google]
Anniksha Beejan, a graphic designer and illustrator in Port Louis, Mauritius, created a fresh and colorful floriated ornamental caps typeface (2012). [Google]
Dublin, Ireland-based designer of the floral typeface Overgrown (2013). [Google]
Brooklyn, NY-based designer. Created of the floraited caps typeface Flourish (2013). Behance link. [Google]
April Pascua is a graphic design student at Pratt Institute. She resides in Brooklyn, NY. April created the floriated roman capitals typeface Dandi (2012). [Google]
Brisbane, Australia-based designer (b. 1987) of the florally decorated typeface Carnivora Flora (2014). [Google]
[Todd M. Hallock]
Based in Perry, OK, Bannigan Artworks was founded in 1998 by Todd Hallock (b. 1969). His fonts include Arts&CraftsGS (2001, inspired by decorative lettering by Glaswegian illustrator Jessie Marion King (1876-1949) and by the Scottish style of Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). This font was published by Jack Yan), Renaissance Caps (2005, floriated), Celtic Knots-BA (2002), Celtic BA (2003), Celtic Ornaments BA (2008), Christianity BA (2004, Christian symbols), and the futuristic font Hallock.
Home page on Celtic Art. Agfa/Monotype sells Hallock, Celtic-BA and Celtic Knots.
At MyFonts, we find the Keltic caps typeface Medieval Caps BA (2006), Left Hand BA (2007) and Art Nouveau 2 BA (2007). Archibald BA (2009) is inspired by the art nouveau lettering of Archibald Knox (1864-1933), a designer for Liberty&Co. from the Isle of Man. In 2014, he created Arts and Crafts Sans BA.
View Todd Hallock's typefaces. [Google]
Montreal-based designer. During her studies at Concordia University, she created the free floriated caps typeface Floralism (2013), a font whose glyphs are shaped like in Novecento, one of the "in" typefaces of early 2013. Its decoration is inspired by art nouveau and psychedelia from he 1960s.
Behance link. [Google]
GabbySol Neterprise dba Bellafonts is a foundry, est. 2011, in Mineral Wells, WV, by Michelle Grewe. She created the beautiful cat dingbat font Cat Crypt (2009, free at Dafont), the dingbat faces Diaper Bag (2011) and Leprechaun Vomit (2011). In 2014, she added the scrawly children's font Gabby (based on the hand of a first-grade student) and the dingbat typeface Floral Flush.
Dafont link. [Google]
Melbourne-based illustrator and lettering artist, b. Indonesia. Work by him include a poster called Flourish (2013), Robin Gordon Drop Cap (2013) and a set of floriated numerals for AMP Bank (2013).
Behance link. [Google]
Brian J. Bonislawsky
[Monogram Fonts Co]
Creator of the hand-printed floriated caps typeface Font of Eden (2012, iFontMaker). [Google]
Adelaide-based creator of a floriated caps typeface in 2013 for the Adelaide Botanic Gardens. [Google]
Graphic designer in Charlotte, NC, who during her internship with Arzberger Stationers, created some caps faces in 2011; Flora (floriated), Suzy (oriental simulation), Caroline (calligraphic), Sassie (Victorian), and a blackletter face. [Google]
Specializing in celebrity signature fonts, this Arcadia, CA-based foundry (est. 2008) is run by Jose Jimenez (b. Costa Mesa, CA, 1963). MyFonts link. It sells the following typefaces: Nursery Rhyme Initials (2004), Hire Me (2009), American Presidents (2008: a collection of all 44 U.S. Presidential signatures including Barack Obama), Signers of the Declaration of Independence (2008: a collection of all 56 signers of America's Declaration of Indepdendence).
In 2009, they added Tough Dude (childish handwriting), Western Americana (famous signatures), and Coulant Classique (calligraphic).
In 2010, he created a mix of calligraphy and brush in Classic Cool, as well as an ordinary hand-printed Wet Pussycat, and the all caps faces Snowflake Drop Caps, Crumpled Parchment (grunge), Mauro Poggi Ornamental Caps, and Flowery Drop Caps. Lil'Punk (2010) is a grungy hand-printed face. 20th Century German (2010), Maurice Dufrene Initials (2010, art nouveau) and Sassa Mixed (2010, inspired by Swiss art from 1939) are ornamental caps faces.
First Ladies (2011) consists of signatures of first ladies. Parisian Ornamentals (2011) is an ornamental shadow caps typeface modeled after an alleged 1810 design by J. Gillé [ahem, Gillé died in 1789...]. Other 2011 designs: Landscape Alphabet, Hollywood Stars (signatures), American Revolution (signatures), American Authors.
In 2012, he published Cartoon Characters Vol. 1, Medieval Times (illuminated caps), Pretzel Dough, Cats (alphadings), Bellflower (Victorian caps), Florid Renaissance (floriated caps), Victorian Ornamentals, Griffith Initials, Mother's Hand, Art Deco Flowery Initials (which are Victorian or art nouveau, and not really art deco in my view), Santerini Initials (inspired by Italian hand-etched designs dating back to 1839), 19th Century American Initials (art nouveau ornamental caps), Godfrey Sykes Initials (inspired by the decorations of Godfrey Sykes, whose work was greatly influenced by that of Raphael and Michelangelo), Alphabet of Death (a series of Northern-Renaissance-style woodcut letters based on the work of Hans Holbein the Younger), Lombardia Illuminata (Lombardic ornamental capitals), Straight Angles, Body Art (silhouettes), Italian Gothic (a full set of decorative initials inspired by 16th-century Italian calligrapher Giovanni Battista Palatino), Letters And Lace (ornamental caps), 26 Flowers (floriated drop caps), Brushwork (oriental brush face), Sfondo Fiorito (flourished caps).
Typefaces from 2013: English Monarchs (signatures of British monarchs), Kitchen Utensils (ornamental caps), Devilish, Papillon Woodcuts (a digital revival of an ornate alphabet by French engraver Jean-Michel Papillon dating back to 1760).
Klingspor link. [Google]
Malaysian designer (b. 1984) based in Petaling Jaya.
Creator of these typefaces in 2012: Afro, Stitches (stitch font), Pop Jazz, Galah Panjang, Bunga Cengkih, Senandung Malam (Victorian all caps family), Kunang Kunang, Raja Drama (hairline avant garde sans), Piring Hitam (Peignotian sans), Dayang Senandung (hairline caps), Kaberet (a squarish outlined typeface), Kata Bidalan (hairline sans), Halusinasi (hallucination), Pak Pandir, Primadona, Mohsuri, Badang (a strong sans), Si LuNcai (monoline geometric sans), Kata Bidalon (a hairline avant garde sans), ContenG (grungy), Chempaka, Retak Seribu, Batik Indo (a textured typeface),Berus Rambut Kuda, Usang (sketched face), Songket (textured caps), Ugly Hand Writing, Dedaun (floriated), The Garden (ornamental caps), Seni Pop (a textured typeface), Modern Kerawang (ornamental caps), Cakar Ayam (scratchy hand), Sticky Notes, and Kerawang (ornamental caps).
Typefaces from 2013: Selari (bilined), Haru Biru (bilined).
Behance link. [Google]
Singapore-based designer of the floriated caps typeface Pulpeta (2013). [Google]
Surabaya, Indonesia-based designer of the decorative caps typeface Flowery Font (2014). Earlier, she made the typographic poster Tribute to Bjork (2012).
Behance link. Blog. [Google]
Interface design student at FH Potsdam, Germany. He created the simple monoline display sans Canela (2011, 26zeichen). Leaves (2099) is a floriated ornamental caps typeface.
Behance link. Typecache link. [Google]
Designer in Long Beach, CA.
Typefaces from 2014 by Means include CM Pradaesque (a Trajan font).
In 2012, Christopher created CM You Got Me wet, CM Fresh Paint, CM Big Fat Paintbrush, CM Garaflora (floriated Garamond caps), CM Chipped Paint (ornamental caps), CM Sans Serif 2012 (+Aged), CM Jungle Adventure (textured typeface), CM Hot Nurse (chalky font), CM Bank Tower College (an athletic lettering font), CM Western Woodblock (+No. 2), CM Mummy Tape, CM Party Headline (textured caps), CM Shark Week, CM Tropical Script, CM Old Western, CM Cold Request CM Moving Forward (techno face), CM Old Firehouse (grungy), CM Grunge Party.
In 2011, he designed CM Tattoo Dragon, CM Bloat, CM Handwriting One (brush face) and CM Old Halftone. [Google]
Aka Chyrllene K. Daughter of Iza W, who designed many typefaces at Intellecta Design starting in 2010. She studied applied mathematics and graphic design, and works as COO of Intellecta Design. In 2013, she wrote a thesis entitled Revival Tipografico at Faculdades Integradas Barros Melo, Brazil. Based in Recife, Brazil, she is credited with these faces:
- Naive Ornaments (2012, with Iza W).
- Calligraphic Birds (2012, with Iza W).
- ABC Hand (2011). A sign language face.
- Pencraft (2010): a penmanship typeface with uppercase based on Swagger Capitals (Carl Stephen Junge, at Barnhart Brothers&Spindler), and lowercase based on Sidney Gaunt's Pencraft Oldstyle series (1914), as displayed in the BBS catalog from 1922.
- Eingraviert Dutch Capitals (2009). An engraved typeface.
- Vintage Hands (2012). A set of fists and penman's hands.
- Bonsai Paufo (2010): a dingbat face.
- Floreart (2012). With Iza W.
- Jugendstil Flowers (2011).
- Libertee Ornaments (2011): an elegant art nouveau typeface done with Paulo W.
- MesoAmerican (+Two) (2011): native Indian dingbat faces.
- Tribalism (2011): three faces with ornaments and fleurons, done together with Iza W and Paulo W.
- Cripto (2011). With Paulo W.
- Soft Garden (2012). With Iza W.
- Bruce 1065 Soft Serifs (2011). Very Victorian. With Iza W.
- Victorian Advertizing (2011).
- Gothic Revival Layered (2012). One of the first layered blackletter typefaces anywhere.
- Forte (2013) is a fee brush font in the style of Forte MT (1962, Carl Reissberger).
- Tribalism (2011). Three fonts with penmanship-style flourishes.
- Enchiridion (2012).
- Azalleia Ornaments (2012). With Iza W.
Behance link. [Google]
London-based graphic designer who created the commercial typefaces Nature Club (2012), Feather (2012, a caps face) and Anemone (2012, floriated initials) at The Type Foundry. [Google]
Student at UWE, Bristol, UK, who made the floriated caps typeface Vintage Mechanism (2011, FontStruct). [Google]
Claudia Ripanti (Bologna, Italy) used the outlines of DIN Black to make the ornamental Flowers typeface in 2011. [Google]
Cleveland Type Foundry
Foundry in Cleveland that existed from 1875 until 1892, when it was absorbed by ATF. It was also called H.H. Thorpe Mfg. Co. Its original designs include Koster Initials and Litho (a curly Victorian typeface digitally revived by Nick Curtis in 2007 as Cleveland Litho NF; Curtis says that it comes from an 1898 specimen book but that contradicts the ATF date). They published Catalogue and Book of Specimens From the Cleveland Type Foundry. The H.H. Thorp Mfg. Co., 147 St. Clair Street, Cleveland, Ohio (176 pages, 1880), Catalogue and Price List of Type and Material (ATF 1893 Specimen) (1893), and Catalogue and book of specimens of type faces and printing material and machinery (1895).
Another Curtis revival, Yum Yum NF (2008) is said to be based on Mikado from an 1893 Cleveland specimen book. And in 2008, Nick Curtis continued with a revival of the geometric display typeface Morning Glory (1893), and a revival of Oxford called Really Big Shoe NF (2009). One of CTF's most famous typefaces is the faux-Chinese font Chinese (1883, later called Mandarin). In 2010, Nick Curtis redid Geometric, a typewriter style face, and called it Linndale Square NF.
In 2013, the Victorian capitals typeface Oxford No. 2 (from the 1893 catalog) provided the inspiration for the digital typeface MFC Damask (Brian J. Bonislawsky and Jim Lyles, Monogram Fonts Co). MFC Damask Flourish (2013) is a floriated caps typeface from the same source. [Google]
Context Foundry is run by Alex Liebold out of Savannah, GA. Alex Liebold's typefaces include Monster Party (2007, monster-themed caps) and Cougher (2008, a grotesque based on the lettering of E. McKnight Kauffer).
Fresh Produce (2008) is a hand-painted signage typeface by Greg Christman.
Ghoulies (2008) is a ghost-themed all-caps alphabet, drawn by Greg Christman.
Montreal (2008) is a fat counterless typeface by Jenna Holcombe.
Eric Schwartzwelder drew Chiropractor (2008), a bold mechanical face, and the display typeface Jayhawker (2014).
Cougher Black (2010) is a big bold typeface inspired by E. McKnight Kauffer and vintage travel posters. Elise (2014) is a layered flourished all caps typeface. [Google]
Sao Paulo, Brazil-based designer of the floriated ornamental caps typeface Baroque (2012). [Google]
DCO (or: dcoxy medina, or: Atelier Oxydes)
DCO (or: dcoxy medina, or: Atelier Oxydes) is Greg Médina. Atelier Oxydès is located in St Maurice de Cazevieille, France. He specializes in very funny drawings. Creator of these typefaces in 2012: the fun figurine dingbat faces called Alien DCO and Warrior DCO, the hilarious typeface dingbat fonts Zombiz and Teubé, Bubbledco, Profilsdco, Ovni (futuristic dingbats), Punkskull DCO (2012), and the kaleidoscopic Formes (2012).
Typefaces from 2013: Felicity (ornaments), Gross Brush (grunge), Dark Forest, Follow The Arrow, Snow for Santa, Eat My Cookie, Cooking Set (dingbats), Florality, Big Bang Comix, Babydoll (geometric monoline sans, with a shadow style), Dirty Macadam, Elegance Two (frames), My Sweet Sunshine, Lucie Mandragore, Pimp My Christmas (dingbats), Magic Kiss, Women and Shoes, Halloween Bell, Dust Scratches, Elegance (ribbon ornaments), Dumbass Town, Meaning of Life, Life Style Memory, Tribal Tattoo Addict, Ornaments Soul, Lost Area, Funny Toys, Space Dude, Sick Crew, Teubé 5, Teubé 3, Teubé Hat, Teubé Bot, Plastic Pets, Girl Power, Alien Dude, Formes 2, Alien DCO2, Teubé2.
Typefaces from 2014: Birdy Game (creamy typeface), Shell Gate (tattoo font), Mandala Home, Macaroni&Cheese, Holy Moly (rounded comic book sans), Delphine et Mathias Script (tattoo font), Limonade de Camomille (signage script), Indians Lives (signagecscript), Ether Cute Poison (signage script), Tartare de Violettes (vampire or tattoo script), Karl Wright Script, Bubble & Soap, Break The Silence, Spooky Night, Right Balance, Peanut Butter Cookies, Rabbit Hole (brush script), Smile Parade, Radio Trust, Oakland Sista, Dust & Blast, Psycho (weathered shadow typeface), Bowling Shoes (connected script), Ornament Mix (dingbats), Shuriken Dance Like A Tiger (script), Arthus Hightone (tattoo script), Dark is the Night, City of Angel, From Brush to Caps, Donovan Quidaw (a ronde), Not A Drope (brush face), Karl Wright, Kerala Quest, Rock and Roll Street, Ray Morgan Style, Wind of Change, Mama Love, Mama Punch (athletic lettering), Queen Luna, Kelly Brush The World, Shadow Boxing (an upright connected script), Header Ornament, Sweet Dreamz, Zombie Morning (brush typeface), Dragonfly on my Nose, Estella Cello, Djah Beat, Roses Kingdom (uopright connected script), Buddha Moon, War Brush, Icarus Kharma, Cheese Cake, Badiane (upright loopy script), Meny Please, Young Shark (spurred typeface), Keep It Up (heads), Purple Shadow (Victorian decorative typeface), Tears of Joy (flourishes), Hilarious, Teubé Tribute.
Dafont link. Old URL. [Google]
Stephen Coles's list of decorated initials: [Google]
[Dick Pape: ornamental typefaces]
[Dick Pape: Clipart DeSign Ultimate Ornaments Mega Pack]
[Dick Pape: February 2013]
[Turkish Designs: Digitizations by Dick Pape]
Dick Pape: Clipart DeSign Ultimate Ornaments Mega Pack
In 2013, Dick Pape digitized the ornaments in the Clipart DeSign Ultimate Ornaments Mega Pack. The typefaces: CMP AdvancedScrollDesigns1, CMP AdvancedScrollDesigns2, CMP AdvancedScrollDesigns3, CMP AdvancedScrollDesigns4, CMP AdvancedScrollDesigns5, CMP AdvancedScrollDesigns6, CMP CelticDesigns, CMP ChineseFlorals1, CMP ChineseFlorals2, CMP CircleDings, CMP CircleFloralFrames, CMP ClassicFriezeDesigns, CMP ClassicScrolls1, CMP ClassicScrolls2, CMP ClipartDecoWomen, CMP CornerDesigns1, CMP CornerDesigns2, CMP DesignBorders1, CMP DesignBorders2, CMP DesignBorders3, CMP DesignBorders4, CMP EnhancedScrollDesigns, CMP ExquisiteAnimals, CMP ExquisiteBirds, CMP ExquisiteLadies, CMP FancyPanels1, CMP FancyPanels2, CMP FloralDesigns1, CMP FloralDesigns2, CMP FloralDesigns3, CMP FloralDesigns4, CMP FloralDings, CMP FloralFrieze1, CMP FloralFrieze2, CMP FloralPanels1, CMP FloralPanels2, CMP FlowerBaskets, CMP FlowerOrnaments1, CMP FlowerOrnaments2, CMP FlowerOrnaments3, CMP FlowerOrnaments4, CMP FlowerOrnaments5, CMP FlowerOrnaments6, CMP HandDrawnRibbons1, CMP HandDrawnRibbons2, CMP HangingSigns, CMP IndiaDesigns, CMP JapaneseFloralDesigns, CMP Medallions1, CMP Medallions2, CMP MexicanDesigns, CMP ModernDesignElements, CMP ModernScroll1, CMP ModernScroll2, CMP ModernScroll3, CMP OrnamentalBullets1, CMP OrnamentalBullets2, CMP OrnamentalBullets3, CMP OrnamentalBullets4, CMP OrnamentalDings, CMP OrnamentalPanels1, CMP OrnamentalPanels2, CMP OrnamentalPanels3, CMP OrnamentalPanels4, CMP OrnamentalPanels5, CMP OrnamentalPanels6, CMP OrnamentalPanels7, CMP OrnamentalPanels8, CMP RectangleFlorals1, CMP RectangleFlorals2, CMP RenaissanceScrolls, CMP RibbonsWithFlorals, CMP RuleLineDesigns1, CMP RuleLineDesigns2, CMP RuleLineDesigns3, CMP RuleLineDesigns4, CMP RuleLineDesigns5, CMP ScrollDesigns1, CMP ScrollDesigns2, CMP Shields, CMP SignPanels1, CMP SignPanels2, CMP SignShapes, CMP SimpleFloralOrnaments1, CMP SimpleFloralOrnaments2, CMP SimpleFloralOrnaments3, CMP SimpleFloralOrnaments4, CMP SimpleFloralOrnaments5, CMP SimpleFloralOrnaments7, CMP SimpleFloralOrnaments8, CMP SimpleFloralOrnaments9, CMP SimpleRibbons, CMP SnowFlakes, CMP TinyDesignElements1, CMP TinyDesignElements2, CMP TinyDesignElements3, CMP TinyDesignElements4, CMP TinyDesignElements5, CMP TinyDesignElements6, CMP TornParchments, CMP TornParchmentsFloral, CMP UltimateOrnaments6, CMP UrbanDesignElements, CMP WroughtIronDesigns1, CMP WroughtIronDesigns11, CMP WroughtIronDesigns2, CMP WroughtIronDesigns3, CMP WroughtIronDesigns4, CMP WroughtIronDesigns5, CMP WroughtIronDesigns6, CMP WroughtIronDesigns7, CMP WroughtIronDesigns8, CMP WroughtIronDesigns9, CMP WroughtIronDesignsJ.
Download here. [Google]
Dick Pape: February 2013
In February 2013, Dick Pape published a number of typefaces grouped together here. Local download page. The typefaces:
- Blok: A beautiful negative font originally designed by Jarrik Muller for Neo2 magazine in 2011.
- Bogart Heavy: An elegant fat round sans.
- Darabo: An avant-garde typeface.
- DarkHerald (2011): A collection of caps based on Stylus fonts.
- FancyRansomInitials (2011).
- GridDrops (2012): Black squares.
- IguanaMedium: A stiff thin slab serif.
- Kabel ABC: A paperclip font.
- Lettres Majuscules Fantasie, Lettres Minuscules Fantasie: Based on Modèles de Lettres D'Art Nouveau (E.A. Ducompex, Imp. Firmin Didot & Cie, Paris), where these caps are called Lettres incrustées dorées.
- MatchBoxes: match boxes from Finland and Portugal.
- Noel's Thes: "The" refers to the word "The".
- PLM Posters: A beautiful set of travel posters from 1926 called Paris-Lyons-Mediterranée Travel Posters.
- Pre-Roman Carolingian Caps.
- Pre-Romanesque 031, Pre-Romanesque 032, Pre-Romanesque 033, Pre-Romanesque 034, Pre-Romanesque 035.
- Roman Rustic Capitals A, Roman Rustic Capitals B:
- Simple Block Stencil: A Bauhaus-style stencil.
- Steamboat Shaded: A Western shadow font.
- Union Jack Rough, Union Jack Smooth.
Dick Pape: ornamental typefaces
Ornamental typefaces made in 2008-2010 by Dick Pape: 2 Cute 4 U (+Block), Abstract Alphabet (2009), Aged Ornaments (2009), Ancient Mortises (2008), Angel Alpha (2009), Angelica Alpha (2009), Ani-Red Jello Alpha (2009), Antique Alphabet (2009), Arabesque Design (2009), Art Deco Dingbat Images (2010), Art Deco Frames (2010), AlphabetArt, AndrewHolmesArtA, AndrewHolmesArtB, AndrewHolmesArtC, AndrewHolmesArtD, AndrewHolmesArtE, AndrewHolmesArtF, Angel Alpha, Angelica Alpha, Ani Red Jello Alpha (2009), AvonInitials, BritishAirwaysNumbers, CaFaitDur, CelticDesignDark, CelticDesigns-Light, Continnental, EckenFlowerBorders, GermanGothicManuscript, KafkaFlourishes, LaxtonCommonRevival, NiceOldAlphabet, Portent, RomanoAlphabet, Weissranken-Initialen, Babylon Initials (2009), Bird Drawings Alphabet (2008), Black Buttons (2010, +Bold), Bold Cameo (2009), Bubble Gum (2010, +Condensed, +Extended), Bultaco (2010, after the motorcycle brand), Cardio Black and White (2010, ECG-inspired), Charcoal family (2010, crayon faces), Checkerboard (2010), Chinese Flowers (2008), Chiswick Press (2007), Chocolate Type (2011), ChrisGreen (2010), Calligraphia Latina (2010), Dough (2011), Electronic Alphabet (2011), Elo (2010), EstupidoEspezial1, EstupidoEspezial2 (2010, based on the Hoefler Swash variant of OCR_A), TokoFont, Clip People (2010), Clothes Pin Font, Compass Rose (2008), Coptic Letters (2010), Cubes, Cups, Cute Lolo Animals, Dark Herald (2011, Celtic caps), Dave's Glyphs, Design Images, Digital Auto Sampler, Drinking Scenes, Drinking Utensils, DunHuang Art, Eating Signs, EcoLeaf, Eduardo Recife, Eggs And Milk, Eroding Alphabet Italic (2010), Extra Initials, Extra Ornaments, Fantasy Butterflies, Fantasy Dragon FX, Fantasy Monster Skulls, Far Away Places Images, Festival Books Borders, Festival Books Initials, Festival Books Ornaments, Fire Letters, Fire Letters Cameo, Fire Letters Monospaced, Fire Letters Monospaced, Floral Initials, Florentine Initials, Florentine Initials Reverse, Flower Panels, Flower Panels Outline, Flower Vines, Fresh Fish, Funky (2010), Funny Numbers, Furore Mexican (2011), Futorisugi Face, Garden Nouveau Initials, Gill Canterbury Capitals (2011), Give me a break, Gothic Metal Initials, Goudy Initials, Graph Glyphs (2010), Halbfette Egyptienne (2008), Hat Dance Alpha, Haunted Initials (2010), Hellenic Sketch (2010), Hollandisch-Gothic (2008), Holly Alpha, Hula Ribbon, Hula Ribbon 2, Hula Ribbon1, Humanistic Alphabet 106 Italic (2011), Humanistic Alphabet 108 (2011, uncial), India Designs, Irina Batkova HRG (2010, based on Giger's paintings), Japanese Design Parts, Japanese Design Templates A, Japanese Design Templates B, Jugendstil A, Jugendstil B, Kelt Ornaments 1, Kelt Ornaments 2, Kleft Bold (2011, dot matrix face), Lichte Jonisch, Madeleine Shaded (2010), Mayan Affixes A, Mayan Affixes B, Mayan Main Signs A, Mayan Main Signs B, Mayan Profiles, Mc Call's Magazine, Metal Branches (2010), Mimbres Pottery, Moderne-Zelda (2010, after a Dan X. Solo alphabet), Moderne-Zelda Black, More Drinkings Scenes, Mostly Fish, Moto Bykes, Mythological&Fantastic I, Mythological&Fantastic II, Mythological&Fantastic III, Mythological&Fantastic IV, Mythological&Fantastic V, Mythological&Fantastic VI, Mythological&Fantastic VII, Native Designs-Mexico&Peru 1, Native Designs-Mexico&Peru 2, Native Designs-Mexico&Peru 3, New Music, Objects of Nature, Old English Images, Ondawall Versal (2011, Celtic), Panels&Frames, Parapam (2010), Pinto Inline (2010, +Speckled), Random Doodles, RangeMurata, Rankin-Initialen, Really Black Alphabet (2010), Robu Bold (2010), Rons Old Patterns, Rons Old Patterns Bare, Rosart Initials, Rustic Alphabet, Sacon Inititals, Saks (2010, bilined), Schmale Jonisch, Sea Shells of Nature, Shuttershock Vector Demo, Simple Alphabet, Simple China Images, Simple Doodles, Snails&Slugs, Softsquare, Some Guitars, Soviet Founders, Soviet Life Posters I, Soviet Life Posters II, Soviet Life Posters III, Soviet Life Posters IV, Soviet Propaganda Posters, Splish-Splash (2009), Strange Black Blobs, Tauba Auerbach, The Goetia, Tribal Dividers, Tribal Flames, ViaFaceDon Black, ViaFaceDon Black Hats, ViaFaceDon Outline, ViaFaceDon Speckled, Victorine (2010, Tuscan typeface), Viking Design A, Viking Design B, White Buttons Bold (2010), Wood Type Cheltenham Bold (2010), ZEart Designs, Zelek, Zelek Black, Zelek Boldline, Zelek Shadline. From 2012: French Onion.
Download here. [Google]
[Dieter Steffmann's Homepage]
Dieter Steffmann's Homepage
FontShop was the name of Dieter Steffmann's foundry in Kreuztal, Germany (not to be confused with the FontShop foundry and font vendor). He made about 600 self-proclaimed "old-fashioned" fonts, and among these many Fraktur fonts. His site became too expensive to run, and is now hosted by Typoasis. Alternate URL. Current list of fonts. See also here. New stuff. Fontspace link. A nice essay about Fraktur fonts accompanies the fonts. News. As Dieter puts it: I am not a designer but I add missing letters to public domain fonts in order to get a complete character set and I hint the fonts and create new weigths (shadow, inline etc.) His Christbaumkugeln font, and how it was made. The font families:
- Acorn Initialen, Adine Kirnberg, Albert Text, Alpine, Alte Caps, Alte Schwabacher, Ambrosia, American Text, Aneirin, Angel, Anglican Text, Angular, Ann-Stone, Antique No. 14, Arabella, ArabesqueInitialen (2002), Argos George, Aristokrat Zierbuchstaben (2002), Ariston Script, Art Nouveau Initialen, Attic Antique, Augusta.
- Baldur, Ballade Halbfett (2002, a font originally designed by Paul Renner in 1937), Barock Initialen (2002), Becker, Beckett-Kanzlei, Behrens-Schrift (2002), Belshaw, Belwe (Gotisch, Vignetten), Benjamin Franklin Antique, Berlin Squiggle Condensed, Bernhard Schmalfett, Bier und Wein Vignetten (2002, also based on drawings from the Bauersche Giesserei), Billboard, Bizzaro, Black Forest Text, Blackletter ExtraBold, Blackwood Castle, Breitkopf Fraktur, Bretagne Gaelic, Brian James Bold, Bridgnorth, Broadcast Titling, Broadway Poster, Brock Script.
- Cabaret, Campanile, Camp Fire, Canterbury Old English (blackletter), Cardiff, Cardinal Anglican, Carmen, Carrick Caps, Caslon Antique, Caslon Fette Gotisch, Cavalier, Celtic Frames, Celtic Hand, Challenge, Chelsea, Chopin Script (2000, identical to Polonaise), Christbaumkugeln, Chursächsische Fraktur, Cimbrian, Circus Ornate Caps (2001, Western), Cloister Blackletter, Coaster Black, Coelnische Current Fraktur, Colchester Black, College, Courtrai, Coventry Garden, Cruickshank.
- Davy's Dingbats, Debussy, Decorated Roman Initials (2003), Deutsch Gotisch, Deutsche Zierschrift, Devinne Swash, Digits, Direction, Dobkin Script, Domino, Dover, Driftwood Caps, Due Date, Duerer Gotisch, Duo Dunkel (+Licht), Durwent.
- Easter Bunny, Easter Egg, Eckmann-Schrift, Egyptienne Zierversalien (2002), Ehmcke-FrakturInitialen, Ehmcke-Schwabacher Initialen (2002), Eichenlaub Initialen, Eileen Caps, Eisenbahn (2002, based on train vignettes at Bauersche Giesserei), Elzevier Caps, Enge Holzschrift, English Towne, Epoque, Erbar Initialen, Estelle, Evil of Frankenstein, Express.
- Faktos, Fabliaux, Fancy Card Textura, Fat Freddie, Faustus, Fenwick Woodtype, Fette Deutsche Schrift (2002, a revival of a Rudolf Koch font from 1908), Fette Egyptienne, Fette Haenel Fraktur, Fette Trump (2002, original by Prof. Georg Trump, 1936), FetteKanzlei (2002), FetteSteinschrift (2002), Fette Thannhäuser (2001), Firecat, Flaemische Kanzleischrift, Flowers Initials, Forelle, Fraenkisch (2002), Fraktur Schmuck, Fraktur Shadowed, Frederick Text, Futura Script.
- Gabrielle, Gebetbuch Fraktur, Gebetbuch Initialen, Germania (2001, a revival of the 1903 blackletter typeface by Heinz König called Germania as well), Germania-Versalien, Ganz Grobe Gotisch, Gille Fils Zierinitialen (2002), GingerbreadInitials, Globus, Gloucester Initialen, Gorilla Black, Gotenburg A+B (2002), Gothenburg Fraktur, Gotische Initialen, Gotisch Schmuck (2002, Fraktur), Goudy Initialen, Goudy Medieval, Goudy Twenty, Goudy Thirty, Grange, GrenzschInitials, Grusskarten-Gotisch, Gutenberg Textura.
- Haenel Fraktur Fett, Hansa, Hansa Gotisch, Hansen, Happy Easter, Harrowgate, Hazard Signs, Headline Text, Hercules, Herkules, Hermann-Gotisch (2002; after an original by Herbert Thannhaeuser, 1934), Herold (2002), Hippy Stamp, Hoedown, Holla, Holidayfont, Holtzschue, Honey Script (2006, after a Filmotype original from the 1950s), Horror Dingbats, Houtsneeletter, Humboldt Fraktur (2002-2005; after a font by Hiero Rhode, 1938).
- Iglesia Light, Isadora Original.
- Jan Brady, Journal Dingbats, Jahreskreis (seasonal dingbats, 2002), JSL Blackletter Antique, Jugendstil Ornamente (2002).
- Kabinett Fraktur, Kaiserzeit Gotisch, Kanzlei, Kanzlei Initialen (2002), Kalenderblatt Grotesk, Kashmir, Kinder Vignetten (2002), KingsCross, Kinigstein Caps, Klarissa, Kleist Fraktur + Zierbuchstaben (2002), Koch Antiqua, Koch Antiqua Zierbuchstaben (2002), Koch Initialen, Koenigsberger Gotisch, Koenig-Type (2002; a Jugendstil Fraktur originally designed by Heinz Koenig, 1907-1910), Kohelet, Koloss, Konanur Kaps, Kramer, Krone Bold.
- La Negrita, Lautenbach, Legrand, Lemiesz, Lettres ombrées ornées (2002, based on a typeface by Schriftgiesserei J. Gillé, 1820), Linolschrift, Lintsec, Liturgisch + Zierbuchstaben (2002), Logger, Lohengrin Fraktur, Long Island Antiqua, Louisianne Black (bold upright connected script), Ludlow Dingbats.
- Mainzer Fette Fraktur, Marker Felt, Marketing Script, Marlboro, Maximilian (2002, Fraktur font and decorated caps based on Rudolf Koch, 1914), Mayflower Antique, Medici, Mediaeval Caps, Menuetto, Messing Lettern, Metropolitain, Middle Saxony Text, Moderne Fraktur, Monats-Vignetten (2002, based on drawings by Franz Franke for Bauersche Giesserei, 1920), Montague, Monument (2002, original by O. Menhart, 1952), Mordred, Morgan Twenty-Nine, Morris Roman Black, Morris Initialen.
- Napoli Initialen, Neptun Gotisch, NeugotischeInitialen, North Face, Nougat ExtraBold, Nouveau Drop Caps, Nubian.
- Olde English, Old English Five, Old Town, Old London.
- Packard Antique, Paganini Text, Pamela, Parsons Heavy, PaulusFranckInitialen (2002), Penelope (2000, Victorian), Peter Schlehmil (2002, based on work by Walter Tiemann, 1918-1921), Peter Schlemihl Fraktur, Picture Alphabet, Pilsen Plakatschrift, Pinewood (2003, like wooden branches), Pinocchio, Plakat-Fraktur, Plakat Antiqua, Plastisch (2002), Plum Script, Pointage, Polonaise (1999), Polo Semi, Powell Antique, Printer's Ornaments One, Prisma (2003, a four-line typeface inspired by Rudolf Koch's Prisma), Progressive Text, Puritan, Prince Valiant Blackletter.
- Quentin Caps.
- Rediviva, Rediviva Zierbuchstaben (2002), Reeperbahn (aka Rope), Regatta Relief, Reiner Script, Revue Decor, Reynold Art Deco, Rio Grande, Rockmaker, Roland, Rolling No. 1 ExtraBold, Roman Antique, Romantik Initialen, Romantiques (2002), Rondo, RosemaryRoman, Roslyn Contour, Rossano, Rothenburg Fraktur, Royal Initialen, Roycroft Initialen, Rudelsberg (Munich Jugendstil style, based on Otto Eckmann's Eckmann from 1901).
- Saddlebag, Saloon ExtraBold, Saltino, Salto, Sans Plate Caps, San Remo (Paris (art) nouveau style), Savings Bond, Schampel Black, Schmalfette Fraktur, Schluss-Vignetten (2002, also from Bauersche Giesserei), Schmale Anzeigenschrift + Zierbuchstaben (2002), Schwabacher, Sebaldus-Gotisch (2002), Sentinel, Sesame (2000), Shaded (2002, a take on Sans Serif Shaded by Stephenson, Blake & Co. Ltd., Sheffield), Sholom, Showboat Caps, Shrapnel, Siegfried (2001, art nouveau, based on a typeface by Wilhelm Woellmer), Simplex, Sixties, Snowtop Caps, Starburst, Steelplate Textura, Stencil Display, Subway, Supermarkt.
- Tanach (Hebrew), Tannenberg Fette Gotisch, Thannhaeuser Fette Fraktur, Thannhäuser Zier (2002; original by Herbert Thannhauser, 1937/38), Theuerdank Fraktur, Thorne Shaded (2002, a shaded didone based on a Robert Thorne design of 1810), Tierkreiszeichen (2002, Zodiac, based on drawings by Franz Franke for Bauersche Giesserei), Tintoretto (2000), Titania, Titling Roman Antique, Tobago Poster, Tone And Debs, Tonight, Topic, ToskanischeEgyptienneInitialen (2003), Transport Pictorials, Tribeca (2001, after a David Rakowski original), Trocadero Caps, Trucker Style ExtraBlack, Turtles, Typographer Caps, Typographer Fraktur (2002), Typographer Rotunda (2002), Typographer Subway (2011), Typographer Textur (2002, Fraktur), TypographerGotisch (2002, Fraktur), TypographerWoodcutInitials (2002), Typographer's Schmuck-Initialen.
- Uechi Gotisch, Uncialis Deutsche, Unger Fraktur Zierbuchstaben, Unicorn.
- Vadstena Rundgotisch, Varah Caps, Ventura Bold, Verve, VictorianInitials, Victorian Text, Viking, Vivian, Vogeler Initialen (2002), Volute.
- Walbaum Fraktur, Wallau Deutsch, Wallau Rundgotisch, Wallau Uncial and Wallau Zierbuchstaben (2002; originals by Rudolf Koch 1925-1930), Walthari Text, Washington Text, Waterloo Relief, Wave, Weiß Initialen, Weiss Lapidar (2002, revival of a typeface by Emil Rudolf Weiss), Werbedeutsch (2002, original by Herbert Thannhaeuser, 1934), Westminster Gotisch, Wharmby, White Bold, Wieynk Fraktur (now also in OpenType), Wieynk Vignetten, Will-Harris Caps, Woodcut.
- Yellow Submarine Font, Yonkers, Yorktown.
- Zallman Caps, Zentenar Fraktur, Zentenar Zier (2002; by F.H.E. Schneidler, 1937), Zierinitialen 1 (2002), Zierinitialen Two (2002; based on Deutsche Zierschrift by Rudolf Koch), Ziffern und Pfeile, Zither Script, Zodiac Pictorials.
A set of TeX service files for many of the decorative caps fonts was published by Maurizio Loreti from the University of Padova.
The collection is now also available in OpenType. Fontsquirrel link. Dafont link. Fontspace link. Abstract Fonts link. Home page. [Google]
Bologna, Italy-based designer of the foliate typeface Leaf (2014). [Google]
Creator of Elvebet (2011, iFontMaker), a hand-printed typeface with floriated initial caps. [Google]
Nanaimo, BC-based student designer of the decorative caps typeface Flora (2014). [Google]
French graphic designer who is Fabulous Design. Behance link.
He used Clarendon as an outline to make a floriated experimental typeface in 2010. [Google]
Frederic William Goudy
One of the great type designers of the twentieth century, 1865-1947. Born in Bloomington, IL, he made over 125 typefaces. He founded the Village Press with Will H. Ransom at Park Ridge, IL, in 1903. From 1904 until 1906, it was in Hingham, MA, and from 1906-1913 at 225 Fourth Avenue, New York City, where a fire destroyed everything except the matrices on January 10, 1908. From 1913 until 1923, it was located in Forest Hill Gardens, Long Island, and from 1923 until his death in 1947 at Deepdene, in Marlborough-on-Hudson. He was an art consultant for Lanston Monotype from 1920-1940.
His life's work and his ideas on typography can be found in his great book, Typologia, Studies in Type Design \& Type Making (1940, University of California Press, Berkeley), but his views are already present in Elements of Lettering (1922, The Village Press, Forest Hill Gardens, New York). His own work is summarized, shown and explained in his last book, A Half-Century of Type Design and Typography 1895-1945, Volume One (1946, The Typophiles, New York).
In 1936, Frederic Goudy received a certificate of excellence that was handlettered in blackletter and immediately stated, Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. He also wrote: All the old fellows stole our best ideas, and Someday I'll design a typeface without a K in it, and then let's see the bastards misspell my name.
His 116 fonts include
- Camelot (1896, Dickinson Type Foundry). He sold another design in 1897 to that foundry, but it was never published. McGrew writes: Camelot or Camelot Oldstyle was the first typeface designed by Frederic W. Goudy. He offered it to Dickinson Type Foundry (part of ATF) in Boston, which accepted it and sent him $10, twice what he had modestly asked for it. This was in 1896; it was apparently cut and released the following year as drawn, without lowercase. In February 1900 a design patent was issued in the names of Goudy and Joseph W. Phinney, and assigned to ATF. Phinney was a well-known designer for Dickinson-ATF, and apparently it was he who added the lowercase alphabet. Its success encouraged Goudy to make a distinguished career of type designing, and this typeface was included in ATF specimen books as late as 1941. Compare Canterbury.
- De Vinne Roman (1898)
- Copperplate (1901): See Copperplate Gothic Hand (2009, Gerd Wiescher), Copperplate URW, or Copperplate EF (Elsner&Flake).
- Pabst Roman (1902)
- Village (1902): This was digitized by David Berlow (1994, FontBureau) and by Paul D. Hunt (2005).
- Bertham (1936), his 100th typeface, named for his wife, Bertha.
- Copperplate Gothic (ATF, 1905): The Bitstream version was done by Clarence Marder.
- Goudy Old Style (ATF, 1914-1915): A 15% heavier weight was made by Morris Fuller Benton in 1919. Bitstream and URW++ sell that as Goudy Catalogue. See also Goudy Catalogue EF (Elsner&Flake), Bitstream's Goudy Old Style, Scangraphic's Goudy Old Style SB (2004), Infinitype's Goudy Old Style, Bitstream's Venetian 522, and Softmaker's G790.
- ATF Cloister Initials (1917-1918). This was revived digitally by several foundries: Alter Littera did Initials ATF Cloister (2012). Group Type created Cloister Initials (2006).
- Goudy Handtooled (1916): A decorative font. Elsner&Flake have a digital version.
- Goudy Modern (Lanston, 1918): Goudy Modern MT is the Agfa-Monotype version. Adobe's version is confusingly called Monotype Goudy Modern.
- Hadriano (1918): Agfa-Monotype has a digital version, as does Adobe.
- Goudy Heavyface (ATF, 1925-1932): Created as a possible competitor of Cooper Black. Bitstream has a digital version.
- Goudy Newstyle (1921): additional letterforms are provided to distinguish different pronunciations. This legible typeface was cut by Wiebking and recut in 1935. It was sold to Monotype in 1942.
- Italian Oldtyle (+Italic) (ca. 1925): made after Dove, Monotype's president, prompted Goudy to make a Venetian typeface to compete with ATF's Cloister Old Style.
- Venezia Italic (1925), to accompany Venezia. George W. Jones of the English Linotype company had it made by Linotype.
- Aries (1925-1926): a kind of blackletter typeface in the style of Subiaco done for Spencer Kellogg for his new private press (he never used it).
- Goudy Dutch: based on handwriting on an envelope from Holland. Goudy lost the drawings.
- Companion Old Style and Italic:
- Deepdene (1927). See D690 Roman on the SoftMaker MegaFont XXL CD, 2002. Deepdene became a Berthold font, and at Berthold it was digitized and refreshed by G.G. Lange from 1982-1983. URW also has a Deepdene family. But above all, one could pick up a free two-style revival by Barry Schwartz, Linden Hill (2010, OFL). View various Deepdene implementations.
- Goudy Text (1928). Based on the textura blackletter types of by Johann Gutenberg in the fifteenth century, Goudy Text has a narrow, ordinary lowercase. It can be used in display advertising and on certificates and invitations. Goudy Text is a "blackletter" type first used in 1928 by Goudy in a Christmas card from type cast at his own foundry. Among the digital versions, see LTC Goudy Text (Lanston) and Goudy Text CT (Jason Castle).
- Kaatskill (1929, Lanston Monotype): a beautiful old style figures font originally done for an edition of Rip van Winkle.
- Remington Typewriter (1929)
- Kennerley (1930) (see his book A Novel Type Foundery for specimens). The Berthold foundry, where the types can now be bought in digital form, mentions the dates 1911-1924.
- Ornate Titling (1931). See LTC Goudy Ornate (Lanston) and Goudy Ornate (2002, Ascender).
- Kennerley Bold and Bold Italic, and Kennerley Open Caps, to accompany Kennerley Old Style.
- Goudy Heavy Face (+Italic), made to please Harvey Best, the successor of Dove at Lanston Monotype.
- Marlborough (1930s): a typeface whose design was sold in 1942 to Monotype, but nothing came of it.
- Tory Text (1935)
- University (of California) Old Style (1938). Also called Californian (1938). A commercial version of this is ITC Berkeley Oldstyle by Tony Stan (1983). Font Bureau published FB Californian (1994, Carol Twombly, David Berlow, Jane Patterson).
- Bulmer (1939)
- Goudy Sans: ITC Goudy Sans (1986), LTC Goudy Sans (2006, Colin Kahn), Goudy Elegant (SoftMaker), Moon Cresta (Ray and Chikako Larabie, 2010) and Goudy Sans EF (now gone?) are digital revivals of Goudy's Goudy Sans family from 1929. GoudySorts MT, an Agfa Monotype font consisting of beautiful ornaments.
- Goudy Thirty. Mac McGrew: When Monotype suggested that Goudy design a type that that company might bring out after his death, to be called Goudy Thirty (from the newspaper term for the end of a story), he thought of a design he had started for a western college. That commission had fallen through, so the design was unfinished. Then, as Goudy relates, "This design struck me as particularly adapted to the purpose. As I worked on it I had determined to make it, as far as I was able, my last word in type design, a type in which would give my imagination full rein, and a type by which as a designer would be willing to stand or fall." Completed in 1942, it was kept under cover by Monotype and not released until 1953-long after his death in 1947. But he designed several types after this one, so it was not the last one from his hands. Goudy Thirty is a fine recreation of a fifteenth-century round gothic, excellent for period pieces. For digital versions, see LTC Goudy Thirty (Lanston, now P22 Lanston) and Goudy Thirty (a free font by Dieter Steffmann).
- Nabisco (1921).
- Garamont (1921).
- Goudy Initials. These are floriated caps.
Several foundries specialize in Goudy's types. These include P22/Lanston, which has an almost complete digital collection, Castle Type, which offers Goudy Trajan (2003), Goudy Text, Goudy Stout and Goudy Lombardy. WTC Goudy digitization around 1s digitized ca. 1986 by WTC.
Links: Bio by Nicolas Fabian. Alternate URL. Andrew R. Boone's article on Goudy in Popular Science, 1942. Goudy's typefaces listed by Paulo W. Obituary, May 13, 1947, New York Times, Time Magazine, November 6. 1933, Amy Duncan's thesis entitled "Howdy Goudy: Frederic W. Goudy and the Private Press in the Midwest" [dead], A 2009 lecture on Goudy by Steve Matteson (TypeCon 2009, Atlanta), Melbert B. Cary Jr. collection of Goudyana. Wikipedia: List of typefaces designed by Frederic Goudy. Linotype link. FontShop link. [Google]
Bursa, Turkey-based graphic designer who made the floriated typeface Herseydir (2013). [Google]
Gilles Le Corre
[GLC --- Gilles Le Corre]
GLC --- Gilles Le Corre
[Gilles Le Corre]
French painter born in Nantes in 1950, who lives in Talmont St Hilaire. His fonts include 2010 Cancellaresca Recens (inspired by a chancery type of Francisco Lucas from the late 16th century), 2009 Handymade (comic book style), 2009 Lollipop (chancery style), 2009 GLC Plantin, 2009 Primitive (2009, a rough-edged roman script), 2008 Script 2 (2008), GLC Ornaments One (2008) and 2008 Xmas Fantasy (2008: blackletter). In 2008, he started GLC -- Gilles Le Corre and became commercial. He is best known for his historic revivals:
- 161 Vergilius (2010)
- 750 Latin Uncial (2010): inspired by the Latin script used in European monasteries from circa 5th to 8th, before the Carolingian style took over. The uppercases were mainly inspired by a 700's manuscript from Fécamp's abbey in France.
- 799 Insular (2010): inspired by the so-called insular style of Latin script that was used in Celtic monasteries from about 600 until 820.
- 825 Karolus (2009), and 825 Lettrines Karolus (2009).
- 1066 Hastings (2009).
- 1350 Primitive Russian (2012) was inspired by a Russian Cyrillic hand of Russkaja Pravda. It has rough-edged Latin charaters and many old Russian glyphs.
- 1420 Gothic Script (2008).
- 1431 Humane Niccoli (2010), after writings of Florence-based calligrapher Niccolo Niccoli (1364-1437).
- 1456 Gutenberg (2008, based on a scan of an old text). Followed by 1456 Gutenerg B42 Pro, which was based on the so called B42 character set used for the two Gutenberg Latin Bibles (42 and 36 lines).
- 1462 Bamberg (2008).
- 1467 Pannartz Latin (2009): inspired by the edition De Civitate Dei (by Sanctus Augustinus) printed in 1467 in Subiaco by Konrad Sweynheym and Arnold Pannartz, who was the punchcutter.
- 1470 Sorbonne (2010) was inspired by the first French cast font, for the Sorbonne University printing shop. The characters were drawn by Jean Heynlin, rector of the university based on examples by Pannartz. It is likely that the cutter was Adolf Rusch.
- 1470 Jenson-SemiBold (2008).
- 1475 BastardeManual (2008, inspired by the type called Bastarde Flamande, a book entitled Histoire Romaine (by Titus Livius), translated in French by Pierre Bersuire ca. 1475, was the main source for drawing the lower case characters).
- 1479 Caxton Initials (2009): inspired by the two blackletter fonts used by the famous William Caxton in Westminster (UK) in the late 1400s.
- 1483 Rotunda Lyon (2010): inspired by a Venetian rotunda found in a 1483 book called Eneide printed in Lyon by Barthélémy Buatier (from Lyon) and Guillaume Le Roy (from Liège, Belgium).
- 1484 Bastarda Loudeac (2008).
- 1470 Jenson Latin (2009), inspired by the pure Jenson set of fonts used in Venice to print De preparatio evangelica in 1470.
- 1491 Cancellarasca Normal and Formata (2009): inspired by the very well known humanistic script called Cancellaresca. This variant, Formata, was used by many calligraphers in the late 1400s, especially by Tagliente, whose work was mainly used for this font.
- 1492 Quadrata (2008).
- 1495 Lombardes (2008): a redrawn set of Lombardic types, which were used in Lyon by printers such as Mathias Huss, Martin Havard or Jean Real, from the end of 14OOs to the middle of 1500s.
- 1495 Bastarda Lyon (2008, based on the font used in the "Conte de Griseldis" by Petrarque).
- 1499 Alde Manuce Pro (2010): inspired by the roman font used by Aldus Manutius in Venice (1499) to print Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, the well-known book attributed to Francesco Colonna. Francesco Griffo was the punchcutter. The Italic style, carved by Francesco Colonna, illustrates the so-called Aldine style.
- 1509 Leyden (2008; inspired by the type used in Leyden by Jan Seversz to print Breviores elegantioresque epistolae).
- 1510 Nancy (2008, decorated initial letters was inspired by those used in 1510 in Nancy (France, Lorraine) for printing of Recueil ou croniques des hystoires des royaulmes d'Austrasie ou France orientale[...] by Symphorien Champion; unknown printer).
- 1512 Initials.
- 1514 Paris Verand (based on initial caps that Barthélémy Verand employed for the printing of Triumphus translatez de langage Tuscan en François.
- 1522 Vicentino (2011). Based on Ludovico Vicentino Arrighi's 1522 typeface published in La Operina.
- GLC 1523 Holbein (2010, after Hans Holbein's Alphabet of Death.
- GLC 1525 Durer Initials (2010). Sample R.
- 1529 Champ Fleury Pro and 1529 Champ Fleury Initials (2010): based on Geofroy Tory's original drawings and text face.
- 1532 Bastarde Lyon (2008, based on work by an anonymous printer in Lyon (France) to print the French popular novel Les Grandes et inestimables Chroniques du grand et enorme geant Gargantua).
- 1533 GLC Augereau Pro: inspired by one of Antoine Augereau's three roman typefaces: the Gros Romain size, used in 1533 to print Le miroir de l'&aciorc;me..., a poetic compilation by Marguerite de Navarre, sister of the French king François I.
- 1534 Fraktur (2009; inspired by the early Fraktur style font used circa 1530 by Jacob Otther, printer in Strasbourg (Alsace-France) for German language printed books).
- 1536 Civilité manual (2011). Based on a handwritten copy of Brief story of the second journey in Canada (1535) by French explorer Jacques Cartier.
- 1538 Schwabacher (2008, based on a font used by Georg Rhan in Wittemberg (Germany) to print Des Babsts Hercules [...], a German pamphlet against roman catholicism written by Johannes Kymeus).
- 1540 Mercator Script was inspired by an alphabet of Gerardus Mercator, who is known for his maps as well as his Literarum Latinarum, quas Italicas cursoriasque vocant, scribendarum ratio (1540).
- 1543 Humane Petreius (2012) was inspired by the typeface used in Nuremberg by Johannes Petreius for De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium, the well-known mathematical and astronomical essay by Nicolas Copernicus.
- 1543 German Deluxe (2009): a Schwabacher inspired by the sets of fonts used in 1543 by Michael Isengrin, printer in Basel, to print New Kreüterbuch, which is a book with numerous nice pictures, the masterpiece of Leonhart Fuchs, father of the modern botany.
- 1543 HumaneJenson-Bold (2008, after the typeface used in Vesalius' 1543 book De humani corporis fabrica).
- 1543 HumaneJenson-Normal (2008, same source).
- 1545 Faucheur (2011) is a rough garalde typeface that was inspired by the set of fonts used in Paris by Ponce Rosset, aka Faucheur, to print the story of the second travel to Canada by Jacques Cartier, first edition, printed in 1545.
- 1546 Poliphile (2009), nspired by the French edition of Hypnerotomachie de Poliphile ("The Strife of Love in a Dream") attributed to Francesco Colonna, 1467, and printed in 1546 in Paris by Jacques Kerver.
- 1550 Arabesques (2008, caps).
- 1557 Civilité Granjon (2010).
- 1557 Italique (2008, based on Italic type used by Jean de Tournes in Lyon to print La métamorphose d'Ovide figurée).
- 1565 Renaissance (2010), inspired by French renaissance decorated letters.
- 1565 Venetian Normal (2008, initial decorated letters that are entirely original, but were inspired by Italian renaissance engraver Vespasiano Amphiareo's patterns published in Venice ca. 1568).
- 1584 Rinceau (2008, a set of initial letters is an entirely original creation, inspired by French renaissance patterns used by Bordeaux printers circa 1580-1590).
- 1584 Pragmatica Lima (2011). Based on fonts used in 1584 by Antonio Ricardo to produce the first publication ever printed in Southern America.
- 1585 Flowery (2009): inspired by French renaissance decorated letters.
- 1589 Humane Bordeaux (2008, inspired by the Garamond fonts used by S. Millanges (imprimeur ordinaire du Roy) in Bordeaux ca. 1580-1590. The alphabets were used to reprint L'instruction des curés by Jean Gerson).
- 1590 Humane Warszawa is a rough-edged garalde typeface inspired by a font carved circa 1590 for a Polish editor.
- 1592 GLC Garamond (2008, inspired by the pure Garamond set of fonts used by Egenolff and Berner, German printers in Frankfurt, at the end of sixteen century. Considered the best and most complete set at the time. The italic style is Granjon's).
- 1610 Cancellaresca (2008, inspired by the Cancellaresca moderna type of 1610 by Francesco Periccioli who published it in Sienna).
- 1613 Basilius (2012) was based on the hand-drawn types used by Basilius Besler (Germany) for the carved plates of his botanical manual Hortus eystettensis.
- 1621 GLC Pilgrims (2010).
- 1634 René Descartes (2009), based upon his handwriting in a letter to Mersenne.
- 1638 Civilité Manual (2010). Inspired by a French solicitor's document dated 1638.
- GLC 1648 Chancellerie (2011). Inspired by the hand-written 1648 Munster peace treaty signed by roi Louis XIV and Kaiser Ferdinand II.
- 1651 Alchemy (2010): a compilation created from a Garamond set in use in Paris circa 1651.
- GLC 1669 Elzevir (2011) was inspired by the font faces used in Amsterdam by Daniel Elzevir to print Tractatus de corde, the study of earth anatomy by Richard Lower, in 1669. The punchcutter was Kristoffel Van Dijk.
- GLC 1672 Isaac Newton (2012) is based on the hand of Isaac Newton.
- GLC Morden Map (2011). Based on an engraved typeface used on a pack of playing cards published by Sir Robert Morden in 1676.
- 1682 Writhed Hand: very irregular handwriting.
- 1689 GLC Garamond Pro (2010): inspired by Garamond fonts used in an edition of Remarques critiques sur les oeuvres d'Horace by DAEP, published in Paris by Deny Thierry and seprately by Claude Barbin.
- 1689 Almanach (2009): inspired by the eroded and tired fonts used by printers from the sixteenth century to the early years of twentieth for cheap or fleeting works, like almanacs, adverts, gazettes or popular novels.
- 1695 Captain Flynt.
- 16th Arabesques (2008, an exquisite ornamental caps scanfont).
- 1715 Jonathan Swift (2011). An example of the hand of Irish poet and novelist Jonathan Swift (1667-1745). It is a typical exemple of the British quill pen handwriting from about 1650-1720.
- GLC 1726 Real Espanola (2012). Based on the set of typefaces used by Francisco Del Hierro to print the first Spanish language Dictionary from the Spanish Royal Academy (Real Academia Española, Dictionario de Autoridades) in 1726. These transitional styles are said to have been the first set of official typefaces in Spain.
- 1741 Financiere (2009): inspired by the Fournier's font Financière. While it appears handwritten, it was in fact carved in 1741 by Pierre Simon Fournier le jeune and published in his Manuel Typographique in Paris (1764-1766).
- 1742 Frenchcivilite (2008).
- 1751 GLC Copperplate (2009), a 6-style family about which Gilles says: This family was inspired by an engraved plate from Diderot&Dalembert's Encyclopedia (1751), illustrating the chapter devoted to letter engraving techniques. The plate bears two engravers names: "Aubin" (may be one of the four St Aubin brothers?) and "Benard" (whose name is present below all plates of the Encyclopedia printed in Geneva). It seems to be a transitional type, but different from Fournier or Grandjean.
- 1756 Dutch (2011).
- 1776 Independence (inspired mainly from the font used by John Dunlap in the night of 1776 July 4th in Philadelphia to print the first 200 sheets of the Congress' Declaration of Independence establishing the United States of America).
- 1781 La Fayette (2010): a formal bâtarde coulée script with caitals inspired by Fournier (1781).
- 1785 GLC Baskerville (2011). Le Corre explains: The Baskerville's full collection was bought by the French editor and author Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais who used it to print---in Switzerland---for the first time the complete work of Voltaire (best known as the Kehl edition, by the "Imprimerie de la société littéraire typographique"). We have used this edition, with exemplaries from 1785, to reconstruct this genuine historical two styles.
- 1786 GLC Fournier (2010), based on several books printed in Paris just before the Didot era set in. The Titling characters are based on hymns printed by Nicolas Chapart.
- 1790 Royal Printing (2009): inspired by various variants of Romain du Roy.
- 1791 Constitution (2011).
- 1792 La Marseillaise (2011). Based on the original manuscript of the French revolutionary song La Marseillaise which later became the French national hymn---it was composed in one night (April 25, 1792) by captain Rouget de Lisle.
- 1805 Austerlitz Script Light: a typical French handwriting style from that period, named after one of the few battles that Napoleon actually won.
- 1805 Jaeck Map (2011). Inspired by the engraved characters of a German map, edited in Berlin at the end of 1700s. The engraver was Carl Jaeck or Jaek (1763-1808).
- 1809 Homer (2011), a grungy typeface named after the "homer" message pigeons.
- 1815 Waterloo (2008): a handwriting typeface originating in Napoleon's government. Why do I feel that GLC is nostalgic for the era of Napoleon? Their own present dwarf-version of Napoleon is not exactly a huge success.
- 1820 Modern (2009) was inspired by a didone font used in Rennes by Cousin-Danelle, printers, for a Brittany travel guide.
- 1822 GLC Caslon (2010): inspired by a Caslon set used by an unknown Flemish printer from Bruges, in the beginning of 1800s, a little before the revival of the Caslon style in the 1840s.
- 1845 Mistress (2009): calligraphic script.
- 1848 Barricades Italic, a quill pen italic.
- 1859 Solferino (2009).
- 1863 Gettysburg (2008; inspired by a lot of autographs, notes and drafts, written by President Abraham Lincoln, mainly the Gettysburg address).
- 1864 GLC Monogram Initials (2011) was inspired by a French portfolio containing about two hundred examples of Chiffres---deux lettres, created for engravers and jewelers in Paris in 1864, and drawn by French engraver C. Demengeot.
- 1871 Victor Hugo (2011). Based on manuscripts from the final part of the life of Victor Hugo (1802-1885).
- 1871 Whitman Script (2008) and 1871 Dreamer Script (2008): inspired by manuscripts by American poet Walt Whitman. See also 1871 Dreamer 2 Pro (2012).
- 1880 Kurrentschrift (2010): German handwriting, based on late medieval cursive. It is also known as "Alte Deutsche schrift" ("Old German script"). This was taught in German schools until 1941.
- 1883 Fraktur (2009): inspired by fonts used by J. H. Geiger, printer in Lahr, Germany.
- 1885 Germinal: based on notes and drafts written by Émile Zola (1840-1902).
- GLC 1886 Romantic Initials (2012).
- 1890 Registers Script (2008): inspired by the French "ronde".
- 1890 Notice (2009): a fat didone family.
- 1902 Loïe Fuller (art nouveau face).
- 1906 Fantasio (2010): inspired by the hatched one used for the inner title and many headlines by the popular French satirical magazine Fantasio (1906-1948).
- 1906 French News: a weathered Clarendon-like family based on the fonts used by Le Petit Journal, a French newspaper that ran from 1863 until 1937.
- 1906 Fantasio Auriol (2010), inspired by the set of well known Auriol fonts used by the French popular satirical magazine Fantasio (1906-1948).
- 1906 Titrage (2009): a didone headline typeface from the same newspaper.
- Underwood 1913 (2007, an old typewriter font, whose commercial version is Typewriter 1913), and 1913 Typewriter Carbon (2008).
- 1920 French Script Pro (2010).
- 1925 My Toy Print Deluxe Pro (2010): inspired by rubbert stamp toy print boxes called Le petoit imprimeur.
- 1968 GLC Graffiti (2009).
- 1917 Stencil (2009; with rough outlines).
- 1920 My Toy Print (2010, grunge).
- 2010 Dance of Death (2010): based on Hans Holbein's Alphabet of Death.
- 2010 Pipo Classic: a grungy typewriter slab serif family.
- 2011 Slimtype (2011, +Italic) and 2011 Slimtype Sans (2011): an old typewriter typeface.
Goh Yam Whee
Graphicxtras by Abneil Software Ltd sells sets of dingbat fonts including Abstract fonts, Animal fonts, Border fonts, Arrow fonts, Christmas, Circle fonts, Crescents, Cross fonts, Doodle fonts, Dots, Easter Eggs, Flower fonts, Frame fonts, Goth, Halloween, Hearts, Lines, Overlays, People silhouettes, Polygons, Rosettes, Round Font, Scrap Book, Spirals, Stars, Swirls, Tiles etc, Tribal, Type, Wedding, Buttons, Checkerboard designs. They were made by Andrew Buckle between 2008 and 2011. [Google]
[DCO (or: dcoxy medina, or: Atelier Oxydes)]
Creator of the floriated typefaces Hollis (2013) and Hollis Vintage (2013, an antiqued version of Hollis) at Design23. She also created the delicately withered typeface Casse (2013) at Design23. [Google]
Illustrator in Moscow. Behance link.
Creator of the floriated caps typeface De Flore (2012). [Google]
Design company in Brazil run by Paulo W (b. 1970) from Recife. Paulo W is a gaúcho (Brazilian southerner), with interests in multiple areas, including poetry (he has published the digital opus Magical Book), graphic design and, most recently, type design.
Dafont link. MyFonts. MyFonts link. Abstract Fonts link. YWFT link. Behance link. Blog. Home page. Fonthaus. Monotype. Eshops. Facebook. Flickr. Klingspor link. Wordpress. Devian tart. T26. Linkedin. Identifont. Linotype. ITC. Faces.co. His typefaces:
- Free fonts: Inductive Resonance (2014: connected script), Retrodings (+Two, 2014), Living In The Past (outlined Tuscan face), Rough Ornaments Free (2014), CornPop Three (borders), Too Good To Be True (2013, retro script), Blanchard Inland (2013), Living Together (2013), Arresto (2013, brush script), Hertziano (2013, non-connected fat script), Japanese Tourist (2013), Nouveau Never Dies Free (2013), The Beat Goes On (2012, fifties script), Stencix (2012), Figgins Brute Trash (grunge), Fontaniolo Beveled (2011, ornamental caps), Czech Gotika (2011), Random Dingbats (2011), Victorian Free Ornaments (2011), Rustic (2011), Armorial (2011), Woman Silhouettes (2011), The Nile Song (2010, hieroglyphics), Smith Typewriter (2009), Sign Flags (2010, semaphore dingbats), Senectus Morbus (2010), MesoAmerica (2010, Indian symbols), ClassicSketches (2010, dingbats), Columns (2010, dingbats of Greek and Roman columns), EasyCuneiform (2010), EasyLombardicTwo (2010), EasyOpenFace (2010, blackboard bold style), Egidia (2010), Significante (2010, dingbats with, e.g., gender symbols), WhiteDominoes (2010, domino pieces), Easy Heraldics (2010), Intellecta Heraldics (2010), Heraldic Devices (2011), KidingsFree (2010, dingbats), RoughTuscan (2010), The French (2009, Fleur de Lys dings), AprendizCaligrafico (2010), Volitiva (2006, Trajan caps and chancery lower case, all based on work by Ludovico Vicentino Arrighi), Gaivota (2006), KurrentKupferstichThin (2006), PaulKlein (2010), PaulKleinTwo (2010), PortuguesArcaicoLectura (2005), ReproxScript (2009, based on Jerry Mullen's Repro Script from 1953-1954), RickGearyHomage (2007, scanbats), WestBalaio (2006, ornamental caps), Corto Maltese (2006, scanbats), Renaissance Coiffure (2006), Renaissance Ornaments (2007), Renaissance Shoes (2012, free), TTF Tattoef (2006, tattoo-inspired dingbats), ExperiTypo5 (2006), Lower Metal (2006), Geometric Serif PW (2006), Geometric (2006), Geometric Petras PW (2006), War II Warplanes (2005), Carbono (2005), Times New Vespasian (2005), BoldBold (2005), Vengeance (2005), Doppleganger (2005), Chancelaresca (2005), Cursivo Saxonio (2005), Gotische Minuskel 1269 (2005: a Kanzlei Schrift after Dekan Hermann zu Soest, 1269) and Guto Lacaz (2005, dingbats).
- Richard Gans revival project: Gans Tipo Adorno, Gans Lath Modern, Gans Titular Adornada (2006), Gans Ibarra (2006), Gans Antigua (2006), Gans Antigua Manuscrito (2006), Gans Radio Lumina (2006), Gans Fulgor (2006), Gans Carmem Adornada (2006), Gans Italiana (2006, extensive Italian-style slab serif family), Gans Titania (2007), Gans Titania Adornada (2007), Gans Titular (2007), Gans Gotico Globo (2007: 9 styles by Iza W), Gans Royality (2007: 3 styles by Iza W), Gans Headpieces (2008), Gans Rasgos Escritura (2010: filets---followed in 2011 by Rasgos Escritura Nuevos), Gan Esquinazos (2010, frames), Gans Blasones (2010, shields), Gans Neoclassic Fleurons (2008), Gans Classical Fleurons, Gans Ding.
- Wood-inspired faces: Dead Wood Rustic (2007), Taranatiritza (5 wood type styles, after William Hamilton Page), Majestade (2007, by Iza W---two Tuscan style faces), Decorative Tuscanian (2007), Concave Tuscan (2010, wood type), Palermo (2007, by Iza W---Tuscan style family), Teatro (2009, Tuscan), Bruce Double Pica (2009, Tuscan; the Beveled weight is free), Antique Extended (2010, slab serif wood type), Dark Wood (2009, gothic), Dark Wood Beveled (2011).
- Charles Bluemlein's script revivals: Bluelmin Kisaburo (2013), Bluelmin Ralph (2012), Bluelmin Ronald (2012), Bluelmin Sandsfort (2012) and Bluelmin Benedict (2012). (2012).
- Blackletter: Salterio (2012, +Trash, +Three, +Gradient, +Shadow, +Shadow Two), Leothric (2011, bastarda), Bruce 532 Blackletter (2011, after George Bruce), Schneider Buch Deutsch (2007, +Trash, +Shadow, +Shadow Two), Schneidler halb fette Deutsch (2009, +Beveled), Schneidler Zierbuchstaben, Hostetler Fette Ultfraktur Ornamental (2007, blackletter caps), Gothic 16 CG (2007), Gothic 16 CG Decorative (2007, blackletter caps), Schneidler Grobe Gotisch (2008, Iza W, T-26), Allerlei Zierat (2008, ornament fonts based on a 1902 catalog of Schelter & Giesecke), Allerlei Zierat Capitals (2007), Psalter Gotisch (2009, a blackletter after the Benjamin Krebs blackletter face by the same name, ca. 1890), Münster-Gotische (2009, a blackletter family after a 1896 typeface by the same created by Schelter&Giesecke), Koberger N24 Schwabacher (2007), Student's Alphabet (2007, blackletter), Like Gutemberg Caps (2007), Nürnberg Schwabacher, Gotische Frame (2007: four framed blackletter styles by Iza W), Gotische (2007: ten ornate blackletter styles by Iza W), Gothic Garbage, Gothic Shadow, Gothic Trashed, Gothic Flourish (2009), Gotica Moderna (octagonal, blackletter), AltDeutsch (2007, four severe blackletter fonts by Iza W), Fin Fraktur, Gotische Bouffard, Heimat RGS, Gothic Handtooled Bastarda (2006), HostetlerFetteUltfrakturOrnamental (2007, blackletter caps), Gothic Handtooled Bastarda (2006).
- Historical revivals: Pantographia (2010: a digitization, as is, of several alphabets from Edmund Fry's Pantographia, 1799), Caslon2000, Caslon B, Delamotte Large Relief (2010), Figgins Brute (2007: 8 heavy Egyptian styles by Iza W based on Figgins' 1817 specimen book), Erased Figgins Brute (2007), Gras Vibert (2007, a didone family; followed by Gras Vibert Two in 2009).
- Erotic or human alphabets: American Way of Life (2011), Roman Silhouettes (2011), Silvestre Weygel (2007, named after Martin Weygel'a erotic alphabet from 1560, which in turn was based on Peter Flötner's 1534 alphabet), Gravure (caps typeface made of human silhouettes), Innocence (2007, dingbats of girls).
- Medieval chancery hand: Portugues Arcaico (2005, three medieval handwriting styles), Kurrent Kupfertisch (2006, a medieval hand done with Fernanda Salmona), Dovtrina Christam 1622 (authentic old manuscript face), Catania (2007, exquisite medieval caps in 3 styles by Iza W).
- Typewriter faces: Remix Typewriter (2012), Smith Trash (2012), Neo Bulletin (2010, +Trash), Remington PW (old typewriter face), Olivetti Linea (old typewriter face), Erased Typewriter 2 (2007: 4 styles by Paulo W), RIP Typewriter (2009), Shadow Typewriter (2007), Underwood Typewriter (by Iza W).
- Calligraphic: Bradstone Parker Script (after Zaner's penmanship), Jan van den Velde Script (2011, based on the penmanship of Jan van den Velde as illustrated in vna den Velde's 1605 book Spieghel der schrijfkonste; developed jointly by Paulo and Iza W), Penabico (2010, with Iza W); Penabico is a free interpretation of the copperplate script styles to be found in the Universal Penman, London, 1741, by George Bickham---it contains over 1500 calligraphic glyphs and 250 ornaments. Samples of Penabico: i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix), Easy Calig, Intellecta Mixed Script (2008), Spencerian Constancia (2008), Calligraphia Latina Soft4 (2010, quilled ornaments), Intellecta Script commercial (2009), Spencerian By Product (2009), Spencerian Palmer Penmanship Pro (2010), Indenture English Penman (2010), Calligraphia Latina (2008-2010, in weights called Soft2, Dense, 3, Soft4, Mixed, Square Edition).
- Victorian, Edwardian: Engel (2007, by Iza W in 15 styles that have a 1870s look), Compendium (Victorian), Costado (2009, a Victorian / Western face).
- Ornamental caps: Doppel Mittel Lapidar Azure (2012), Musirte Antiqua (2012), The House of Usher (2012), Peterlon (2012), Dolphus Mieg Alphabet (2011, +Two), Dolphus Mieg Monograms (2011), Human Nature (2011), English Arabesque Revival 1900 (2011), Imprenta Royal Nonpareil (2011), XVI Century Shaw Woodcuts (2011), Ichweis Caps (2011), Cherubim Caps (2011), Rara Beleza (2011), Gothic 1880 Revival (2011), Angelicaps (2010), Unnamed Caps Two (2010), VertiCaps (2010) Rebimboca Caps (2010), Rebimboca Beveled (2012, free), Rebimboca Gradient (2012, free), Rebimboca Trash (2012, free), Rebimboca Outlined (2012, free), Republica Presente (2010), Speedball Metropolitan Caps (2010, after a design by Ross F. George), Nice Initials (2010), Morphelic (2010), DurerGotischCapitals (2010), Egmontian (2007, ornamental caps family), Saducismus Triumphatus (ornamental caps), Vogus (Victorian caps), Victorian Ornamental Capitals (2009) and Frompac 1889 Arabesque (2007) [both are classical arabesques published in Ludwig Petzendorfer's Schriften-Atlas. Eine Sammlung der wichtigsten Schreib- und Druckschriften aus alter und neuer Zeit nebst Initialen, Monogrammen, Mappen, Landeskarten und heraldischen Motiven fur die praktischen Zwecke des Kunstgewerbes, 1889], Lettrines Petin (+Ornée), Numa Initials (2006), Gradl Initialen, Vampirevich (2009, ornamental caps), Paulus Franck 1602 (2006, ornate caps), Geodec (2006, baroque caps), HostetlerFetteUltfrakturOrnamental (2007, blackletter caps), Cadels (2007, ornate caps by Iza W), Manuscript XIV Century (2007, by Iza W--four Lombardic caps), Merona (2007, by Iza W--ten Lombardic caps fonts), Selena (2007, by Iza W---ornate Victorian caps), Leyenda (great Victorian era ornamental caps), Mixed Capital Style (2007, caps), Lenda (2008, capitals), Kidnaped at Old Times (2008, ornamental caps, ransom note style), Mortised Capitals, Is Not ABrazilian Font (hand-printed blackboard bold caps), Robur The Conqueror (2009, ornamental caps), Georgia Capitals (2009), Decadence avec Elegance (exaggerated ornamental caps).
- The American Advertise series: American Advertise No. 9 (2008), American Advertise No. 17 (2007, 19th century caps), American Advertise 018 and 019 (2008), American Advertise Square Series (2007), American Advertise 003 (2012), American Advertise 004 (2010), American Advertise 005 (2010), American Advertise 006 (2010, alphadings), American Advertise 007 (2010, ornamental caps).
- Ornaments, fleurons: Unpublished Ornaments Two (2013), Classix (2012), Cornucopia of Dingbats (2012-2014, +Two, +Three, +Four, +Five, +Six, +Seven), Cornucopia of Ornaments (2013; +Two, +Three, +Four, +Five, +Six, 2014), Cornucopia Caligrafica (2012), Vintage Hands (2012), Human Silhouettes (2012; +Free, 2013; +Two, 2013; +Human Silhouettes Three, 2013; +Four, 2013; +Five, 2014; +Six, 2014; +Seven, 2014; +Eight, 2014), Easy Fleurons (2012), Floreale Two (2012), Neoclassic Fleurons Free (2011), Calligraphic Frames Soft (2011, +Two), Jugendstil Flowers Free (2011), Easy Ornaments (2011), Blasons (2011), Blasons Free (2012), Armorial (2011), Monograms Soft (2010, with Iza W), Easy Tiles (2010), Free Tiles (2010), Rough Fleurons Two (2010), Vegetable Breath (2010), Corn Pop Plus (2010), Mortised Fleurons (2010), Mortised Ornaments (2011), Mortised Ornaments Free Two (2013), Golden Times (2010), Stahlhelme und Kronen (2010), Rough Fleurons (2006), Nouveau Never Dies (2009, ornaments), GeodecBruceOrnamented6 (2006, after a sample from the Bruce Type Foundry), Grave Ornamental (2006), BlackOrnaments (2008), Hera Hedelix (2009, ornamental tiles), Mortised Ornaments (2009), Soft Fleurons (2007), Half Flower (2007), Frames 1 (2007, by Iza W), Flower Essences, Micro Fleurons (2009), Naturella (2009, leaf and grape dingbats by Iza W), Black Fleurons (2010), Easy Fleurons Two (2011), Intellecta Borders (2008, by Iza W), Intellecta Style (2007, borders).
- Fonts made before 2007: Brute Aldine (2007, Western family), Bad Situation (2007, after a design by Freeman Delamotte from 1864), Benjamin Franklin (2007), Geodec Petras Enhanced (2006), Deutsche Poster (2006), FatFontGrotesk (2006), Orchis (2006, an art deco family by Iza W), Fantis (2006), Frompac (2006, with Iza W), Geodec Fog (2006), Intellecta Modern (2006), Intellecta Modern 2 (2006), Intellecta Romana Humanistica (2006), Advantage (2006, together with Iza W), Biza (2006, together with Iza W), Elegancy (2006, together with Iza W), Estiliza (2006, a sans family together with Iza W), Experitypo 4, Stairway to Heaven, Copperplate PW, Dings PW, Roger Dean, Gliphs PW, Luxeuil, Watchtower Bible 1965, Gabinete Portugues (11 fonts), Elara (2009), Xilografuras (dingbats), Beta, Alta, Paleolitica Nacional, Shakespeare Studs, Copperplate collection (5 fonts), Wine, Ampersamp, James Poem, Leal Conselheiro, Haeckel Enygma, Iza B, Of, Lementa (2006, ornate family), Pirates (dingbats), Wire Clip (2009), Divina Proportione (2009, dingbats), Tharagaverung (2007), Correo (2009, a nice manly bold face), Titivilus (2007, Roman lettering), Pirates De Luxe (2007, dingbats), Geodec Minuskel (2006), Geodec Spyral (2006), Copperplate Decorative (2006), Feosa (2006), Francesco Decorative (2006, Iza W), Geodec Petras Enhanced (2006), Ibarra Flourished (2006), Intellecta Decorative 017 (2006), Intellecta Decorative 018 (2006), Intellecta Slab Bold (2006), Kansas Decorative (2006), Pingente (2006), Sixties Living (2006), Caractere Doublet (2007), DeutschePosterSteinschrift (2007; by Iza W), GP Casual Script (2007), Colonia Portuguesa (2007), Contouration (2007), Deco Experiment 3 (2007), Floresco (2007), Flower Jars (2007, by Iza W---a very nice idea), Frutisis (2007), Intellecta Monograms (2007: 19 monogram fonts by Paulo W), Intellecta Monograms Random Sample (2012-2013: several typefaces), Peloponeso (2007, by Iza W), Porcupine (2007, by Iza W), Southern Flight (2007, by Iza W---condensed), TTF TTTOEF 4 (2007, by Iza W---dingbats), GeodecBruceFlourished, HostetlerNormande, Victorian Ultra Parphernalia (2007), Angels (2007), Angels Free (2013), Mondrongo (2007), Oorlog (2007).
- Fonts in 2008: Das Riese (3d engraved caps, +Shadow), Economica (sans, T26), Antiqua Double 12, Bad Baltimore (+Beveled, +Typewriter), Calligraphia Latina (2008-2009, in weights called Soft2, Dense, 3, Mixed, Square Edition, Free), Fry's Alphabet, Grissom (bug dingbats, by Iza W), Latinish (by Iza W), Lettering Deco (by Iza W), Litho Romana Inland, Quadratta Serif (a slab serif by Fernando Diaz), TTF TATTOEF 7 (by Iza W).
- Fonts made in 2009: Eingraviert (engraved; scans: i, ii, iii), Eingraviert Beveled (2011), Greko Roman Oldstyle, Ortodoxa do oriente, Sans Square, Speedball (by Iza W, Victorian style), Speedball Western Letters (after Ross F. George's lettering), Elara (2009), Intellecta Roman Tall, Force Brute & Ignorance, Sunamy Caps, Starret, The Pilgrim (alphadings), Renaisperian (alphadings), Real Caps Two, Mateus Bold (4 bold styles), Intellecta Crafts (arts and crafts family), Bruce 1490, Bradley Dingies (five dingbat faces, after William H. Bradley), Allerlei Zierat Renaissance, Grave Plus, the grungy Monkey series (Victorian Monkey, Monkey Poesy, Monkey Messed Gutenberg Caps, Monkey Was Here, Monkey Insinuation, Monkey In The Middle Ages), Montezuma (dingbats), Grotesque and Arabesque, Calhambeque (old car dingbats), Eiger (2009, a 3d sketched headline face).
- Faces made in 2010: Polen, Pencraft (capitals were inspired in Swagger Capitals, an original design from Carl Stephen Junge, at Barnhart Brothers & Spindler; lowercase based Pencraft Specials, an ornamental variation of the Pencraft Oldstyle series, as displayed in the BBS catalog from 1922), Salamemingoe (children's hand), BarberPoles, Beware the neighbors (scary), BlackInitialText, CaligrafiaDivina, CornPop, CowboyHippie Pro, Grotesca3-D, Nardis, Senzacuore, Speedball Metropolitan Poster (2010, after a design by Ross F. George), TagWood, Tosca, TypographyTribute, Zooland, Bubbleboddy-Fat, bubbleboddylight-Light, Pretoria Gross (a Victorian family done with Iza W), Wood Font Five (wood plank font), Wood Font Four, Herr Foch (art nouveau), Rebimboca, Octagon French (a 3d beveled typeface due to George Nesbitt, 1838), Picuxuxo (retro futuristic, comic book style), Large Old English Riband, Ornamental Riband, Kidings (Dutch dingbats), Hostil (originally done in 2007: a headline family; followed by Hostil Shadow Two (free, 2012) and Hostil Gradient (free, 2012)), Grotesca, Heptagon French, Antiquariaat (condensed), Cortinado, Sanoxio (3d headline face), Violentia (grunge), Swirlies (spiral dings).
- Faces from 2011: Dia de los Muertos (fantastic skeletal masks), Inland Becker, Rasgos Escritura Nuevos, Jaggard (2007, a renaissance penmanship caps typeface modeled after Joachim Romann's Queen (1954-1956, Stempel)), Jaggard Two, Naive Ornaments Black, Augustus (+Beveled: roman letters), Sayonara (oriental simulation face; the Beveled style is free), Trash Barusa (inline ornamental face), Free Ribbons, Black Ornaments Three, Calligraphia Latina Soft 5, Heraldic Devices Premium, Ornate Blackboards, Benjamin Franklin Beveled, Baltimore Typewriter Beveled, Bernardo Beveled, Van den Velde Script (a free interpretation of the work of the famous master penman Jan van den Velde, found in the Spieghel der schrijfkonste, in den welcken ghesien worden veelderhande gheschrifften met hare fondementen ende onderrichtinghe (Haarlen, 1605)), Indenture English Penmanship, Penmanship Birds and Ornaments (2012), Beware The Neighboors Shadow (texture face), White Free (shadow face), Delamotte Large Relief Beveled.
- Typefaces made in 2012: Porosa, Presto, Derradeira (signage script), About Sweet Memories (brush script), Intellecta Ribbons, Irrelevante (beveled caps), Laus Sus Chris (Christian dingbats), Unpublished Ornaments, Heavy Squared Writing (brush face), Mezcla Titan, Sweet About (retro script), Publicité, Hard to read monograms, Free Medieval, Doctor Polidori (initial caps), Mixed Silhouettes, Glosilla Castellana Cursiva (inline type family), Sayonax (a textured version of the oriental simulation typeface Sayonara), Wood Stevens (free), Rockabilly (fifties script), Interdite Script (heavy calligraphic face), Prismatica (free), Cristalid (free prismatic face), Zed Leppelin (free), Neo Bulletin Outline (free), Neo Bulletin College (2012), Victorian Free Ornaments (+Two), Spanish Army Shields (+Two), Varius Multiplex, Stephens Heavy Titling.
- Typefaces from 2013: Face of Yesterday (calligraphic script), Ribbon in the sky, Dreamer (a flowing upright semi-connected script), Vorname (blackletter), Barocque Capitals, Close To You (a rabbit-eared script), Wappen (heraldic shields), Eletroz (hand-printed), Morcrepito (blackletter), Metropolitan Poster Black, Animal Silhouettes, Intellecta Pointers and Hands, The Loyalist (script), Vonnegut (a left-leaning script), Perhaps Love (left-leaning script), So Lonely (script), Exposition (upright script), Plaster of Paris (connected script), Volstead (connected script), Versitia (connected script), Porongo (heavy brush script), Fat Fantasy, Das Krieg (soldier dingbats), Corn Pop Two (ornamental corners), Corn Pop Four, Corn Pop Five, Astrodings, Vulnavia Sans (comic book face), Capitular Heraldica, Mirella Initials Ornamntals (a swashy calligraphic script; with Iza W), Carpete (retro script), Free Writer, Round Hand, Exclusivite (fifties script), Hertz Oscillations (fat retro script), Heavy Rock (fifties script), Raindrops (retro script), Ralph Walker (ronde), Exiles (retro signage script), Mr. Richmond Caps (art nouveau alphadings), Berengard Caps Two.
- Typefaces from 2014: Prester John, Animals Old Cuts, Take a Pebble, Corn Pop Five (borders), Kidnapped at German Lands (ransom note font), Kidnapped at German Lands 2, Kidnapped at German Lands 3.
Iza Wilma Lima Peixoto
Iza W is a Brazilian type designer who works with Paulo W at intellecta Design. Klingspor link. She created Kocham (2008, an art deco geometric typeface with dots centered in all letters), Orchis (2006, Intellecta Design), an art deco famliy in the style of Broadway. Other fonts, done with Paulo W at Intellecta Design in 2006: Advantage, Biza, Elegancy, Estiliza, Frompac. She designed DeutschePosterSteinschrift, Alta (5 styles), Apolo Decorative (Victorian era caps), Ariana, Black, Cresciesco (roman times lettering), Drianh (late 19th century styles), Easy Callig, Evangeliaire Uncial, Geodec N9 (high contrast sans family), Glaciana (decorative caps), Grid, Half Flower 2, Laureatus (Lombardic), Malvinna, Paola Decorative (caps), Passo Borgo (the ultimate spiky dungeon family), Schneider Kontrast (a 15-style art deco and ornamental family based on the work of F.H. Ernst Schneidler), and Questy (semi-slab serif) in 2007.
Productions in 2008: Basilissa (flowery caps), Calligraphia Latina Soft, Chyrllene (curly Victorian family), Clea (caps), Fridha (undrerstated and 3d calligraphy), Hostetler Kapitalen 2, Litho Romana Inland (a caps family), Ogden (calligraphic), Olivetti Typewriter (5 styles), Syl (frilly Victorian caps), Tissot (2008, fine caps), Triball (headline blackletter family), TTF TATTOEF 8 (tattoo dings). MyFonts says The mysteriously-named Iza W shares most of the development activities at Intellecta Design with Paulo W. She specializes in revivals of historic advertising types, specifically metal and wood display types of the Americas, from the early 19th to mid 20th century. and lists these fonts at the end of 2008 as having been designed by her: Advantage, Agua, Alta, AltDeutsch, Anatomy, Antiqua Shaded, Apolo Decorative, Ariana, Basilissa, Biza, Black, Boliche, Bruce Borders, Bruce Flourished, Bruce Hairline, Bruce Miscelania, Bruce Ornament, Cadels, Calligraphia Latina Soft, Catania, Centennial Script Fancy (+Three), Chancelaresca Spanola, Chyrllene, Clea, Cleo (Lombardic ornamental caps), Cresciesco, Deco Experiment 2, Deco Experiment 3, Deco Experiment 4, Deco Experiment 5, Deco Experiment 6 (2007), Deco Experiment 7, Deutsche Poster Steinschrift, Donald, Drianh, Easy Callig, Egipcia, Elara (2009), Elegancy, Engel, Estiliza, Evangeliaire Uncial, Faroeste, Feosa, Figgins Brute, Fin Fraktur, Flower Essences, Flower Jars, Fofucha (2007, a psychedelic typeface modeled after Seymour Chwast's Artone from 1968), Frames 1, Francesco Decorative, Fridha, Frompac, Fry's Alphabet, Furniet Roman (2008, after Fournier), Gans Animals, Gans Carmen Adornada, Gans Cornucopia, Gans Gotico Globo, Gans Italiana, Gans Royality, Gans Sport Club, Gans Titania, Gans Titular Adornada, Gans Transportation, Gans Vessels Fishes, Geodec Bruce Ornamented (2006, a tribute to George Bruce), Geodec Minuskel, Geodec N9, Geodec Petras Enhanced, Glaciana, Gloo Biloo (2010, spooky alphading face), Gothic Handtooled Bastarda, Gotische, Gotische Frame, Gottar (blackletter), Gradl Initialen, Grid, Grissom (insect dingbats), Grolier (caps), Grolier Beveled (2011, free at Dafont), Half Flower, Hannover, Hostetler Kapitalen, Imperio Romano (2009, roman heads), Intellecta Bodoned (+Two, +Trash), Intellecta Borders, Intellecta Crowns (royal crowns), Intellecta Grotesca Compacta, Intellecta Slab Bold, Intellecta Square, Intellecta Typewriter, Intellecta Typewriter 2, Japonesa (2010, oriental simulation), Julisa Script, Kocham, Latinish, Laureatus, Lettering Deco (2008, art deco, +Shadow), Litho Romana Inland, Littler Serifada, Magro, Majestade, Malvinna, Manuscript XIV Century, Merona, Missal, Monograms Soft (2010, with Paulo W), Naturella (2009, leaf and grape dingbats), Neretta (2008, +Italic), Numbers, Ogden, Olivetti Typewriter, Orchis, Palermo, Paola Decorative, Peloponeso, Porcupine, Questy, Remington Elite Typewriter, Samuello, Schneider Kontrast, Schneidler Zierbuchstablen, Schwandner Versalia (2010, ornamental caps based on an alphabet by Austrian penman Johann Georg von Schwandner), Schwandner Black Fleurons (2010), Schwandner Ornaments (2010), Selena, Sinfonia, Southern Flight, Speedball, Standard Typewriter, Suciellid, Sunamy (oriental simulation, after lettering by Ross F. George), Surrey (2008), Syl, Tissot, Tondella, Triball, TTF TATTOEF 4, TTF TATTOEF 6, TTF TATTOEF 7, TTF TATTOEF 8, Tuska, Underwood Typewriter (+Underscore), Uthan, Versatile Initials, Victorian Exotical Capitals, Warp, Woodball, Yanna, Zooth.
From 2009: Calligraphia Latina Soft3, Cantate (+Beveled), Remington Weather (old typewriter), Xyla (caps), Polen, Polen Two (2007), Arrius (calligraphic), Catilina, Pentagraph (upright connected script), Renania (calligraphic), Renania Double Line (free), Samantha (caps), Silius Engraved (caps), Stencil Intellecta (+Trash), Tatooyn, Urszula (caps), Victorio (caps), Elfort (formal calligraphy after Poppl Exquisite, a typeface by Friedrich Poppl), Pretoria Gross (2009), Holy Church (2009, blackletter), Holy Church Fleurons (2009), Single Silhouettes (2009).
Typefaces done in 2010: Penabico (a calligraphic script; with Paulo W), Baltimore Typewriter (a great typewriter family, with a black-on-white typewriter keys style added), Izouda (an art deco Broadway-style beauty), Bernardo (an italic family, with swash initials thrown in, named after Lucian Bernhard), Netuno, Supermarket (shop signage family), Bruce Influence (interpretation of Great Primer Ornamented No. 30, from the Bruce's TypeFoundry 1869 catalog), Pretoria Gross (a Victorian family done with Paulo W), Reliant (2010, with Dmitrij Greshnev: a free interpretation of Bernhard Schönschrift (Lucian Bernhard) and Liberty, which was designed by W.T. Sniffin for ATF in 1927, following the original designs by Lucian Bernhard), Reliant Limited (2012, free version).
Gostosinhos (2010) are hilarious faces put together in a dingbat font. Centennial Onaments (2010) was done with Paulo W. Calligraphic Birds is pure penmanship.
Fonts done in 2011: Ambrose Bierce Daned Font (ornamental caps), Menina Carinhosa (floriated caps), Menina Formosa (floriated caps), Menina Espinhosa (2011), Menina Graciosa Ornaments (2011, +Two), Menina Poderosa Ornaments (2011), Azalleia (floriated caps), Azalleia Ornaments, Naoko (a fantastic oriental simulation face), Bestiario (calligraphic penmanship dingbats based on the work of English writing master John Seddon, 1644-1700), Seddon Penmans Paradise Capitals (elaborate caps along the lines of Bestiario), Dolphus-Mieg Monograms (after a 1901 book by the Dollfus-Mieg company), Imprenta Royal Nonpareil, Dia de los muertos (2011), Naive Ornaments (2011), Eingraviert Dutch Capitals (2011).
Creations in 2012: Spirulina, Promotion Script, Soft Ornaments (+Two, +Three, +Four, +Five, +Six, +Seven, +Eight, +Nine, +Ten, +Eleven, +Twelve, +Thirteen, +Fourteen, +Fifteen, +Sixteen, +Seventeen, +Eighteen, +Nineteen, +Twenty, +21), Soft Garden (ornaments), The Black Shapes, Sabor Words, Sabor Digital (textured), Sabor Rasgos Escritura (upright connected script), Floreart (floral dingbats), Mirella Script (French bastarda penmanship script), Soft Flowers, Derriey Vignettes (after Charles Derriey), Gracious Azaleas (flowery dings).
Design from 2013: Bruce Ornaments Collection, Invitation Script (after the calligraphy of Andrade de Figueiredo, 1722), Mirella Initials Ornamentals (a swashy calligraphic script done with Paulo W), Menina Graciosa (ornamental caps), Menina Gostosa (Loira (caps), Morena (calligraphic), Ornamentos (floral)), Alien Trees. [Google]
Graphic design student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who created the floral typeface Parol (2014). [Google]
Creator of a roman floriated initials typeface in 2012. [Google]
Jill De Haan
Graphic designer who runs De Haan Art in Salt Lake City, UT. She created the all caps Floral Alphabet in 2013.
Behance link. [Google]
Web designer in New York City, who created the floral decorative caps typeface Les Bois (2014). Behance link. [Google]
John Arne Van Nordby Agaid
Norwegian design student at Norges Kreative Fagskole in Oslo. Creator of a floriated caps alphabet in 2012, and the typeface Creativity in 2011.
Devian tart link. Behance link. [Google]
John M. Bergling
Great American calligrapher and engraver. He wrote several books, including "Engraving Designing Etching" (1914) and Art Alphabets and Lettering (1914). He was Master Engraver with the renowned C.D. Peacock jewelers in Chicago around 1900. Creator of many art alphabets, Bergling is also noted for state seals of the United States and many seal crests of foreign countries. His great-grandchildren set up Bergling Publishing and are selling directly or through Amazon most of his oeuvre. Other texts include "Art Monograms and Lettering" (1912), "Heraldic Designs for Artists and Craftspeople", and "Ornamental Designs and Illustrations".
Digital fonts based on Bergling's work: One Good Urn NF (2005, Nick Curtis) is based on his art nouveau lettering from 1914. Morocco (1914) provided the caps of Funky Tut NF (2005, Nick Curtis), and Keramic Text (1914) provided the lower cases characters of the latter font. Chantilly Lace NF (2005, Nick Curtis) uses uppercase letters by Bergling and lowercase letters by Roland W. Paul. His Nibs NF is a digital font by Nick Curtis (2007) based on the calligraphy of Bergling, ca. 1914. Carson Monogram (2009, Brian J. Bonislawsky) is based on Bergling's New Antique 53 from the book Art Monogram and Lettering. Bergling (2010, Scriptorium) is a floriate script based on Bergling's work. Other (art nouveau style) Scriptorium fonts based on Bergling include Boetia, Belgravia and Beaumains (2011). LHF Bergling Panels (2012, John Davis) is based on Bergling's work. Initials Bergling (2012, Alter Littera) is a comprehensive set of initials (usually referred to as Uncials, Lombardic Initials, or Lombards) of the French variety, adapted from Bergling's book Art Alphabets and Lettering (Second Edition) (1918, Chicago: Blakely-Oswald Printing Company). [Google]
Graphic design student at the University of Salford, UK. Creator of Floristry (2012), an ornamental caps typeface with Helvetica outlines and a floriated interior.
Salford Type Foundry link. [Google]
Illustrator in Adelaide, Australia, who created a floriated caps alphabet in 2014. Behance link. [Google]
Nashville-based designer of an unnamed flourished typeface. [Google]
Kadu Supanik (Joinville, Brazil) created the free hand-printed script typeface Rose (2013). In 2014, he created the warm commercial sans typeface family Elisabeth and the ornamental caps typeface Windflower.
Behance link. Creative Market link. [Google]
Type designer, born in 1867 according to some sources [this must be wrong!]. He created Flinsch-Germanisch (1876, Flinsch), a blackletter face. In 1877, he created some decorative typefaces at Klinkhardt, called Zierschriften. In 1878, he published Zierschriften von Karl Klimsch Band I. Dover republished two books by this author: 2,100 Victorian Monograms (1994), and Florid Victorian Ornament (1977). [Google]
Monterrey, Mexico-based creator of a floriated caps typeface in 2012. [Google]
Graphic designer and illustrator in Moscow. She created William Klein Font (2012, named in honor of the photographer, and inspired by his New York 1955 series of photos of skyscrapers), and The Big Air Font (2012, ornamental caps). In 2012, she also published a few cosmic fonts as well as the decorative caps typeface Red Flower (2012).
In 2013, Kate created the connected font Conjoint. [Google]
Creator of the hand-printed typeface Flower Font (2011, iFontMaker). [Google]
New York City-based illustrator and designer who drew an ornamental floriated alphabet called Pencil Letters (2011). [Google]
Saint Louis, MO-based designer of Gardener (2014), a typeface made out of weeds and modeled after Chaparral Pro. [Google]
Laura Moyer (Lancaster, PA) created the decorative typeface Sea Garden (2013). Behance link. [Google]
Letitia Thirapathi Appadu (Townsville, Australia) created Futura Floral (2011) by filling the glyphs of Futura with art nouveau style flower ornaments.
Behance link. [Google]
Berlin-based designer of the mostly free fonts Little Cut (2010), Little Retro (2011), Little Hand (2011, hand-printed), Little Wave (2011), Little Space (2011, octagonal), Little Line (2011), Little Techno (2011: fat and counterless), Little Brush (2011), Little Flower (2011, floriated), Little Future (2011), and the techno faces LA Type 01 (2011), LA Type 02 (2011), LA Type 03 (2011), LA Type 04 and LA Type 05 (2011) and LA Type 06 (2011).
Handmade Font link. [Google]
French punchcutter (1795-1865) who lived in Lyon. He designed Lyons Titling (1846, a roman titling font published by Chiswick Press) and Augustaux, about which René Ponot published a book, Louis Perrin: L'Enigme des Augustaux (Editions des Cendres, Paris, 1998). The book contains a history of Perrin as a printer and typographer, with special attention to Perrin's Augustaux type. It contains two fold-out Augustaux type specimens and several examples of Perrin's printing in black-and-white. The preface is by Fernand Baudin, and it is printed in Perrin type redesigned by L'Atelier National de Création Typographique in 1986. See also Etude sur Louis Perrin, Imprimeur Lyonnais (Editions des Cendres, Paris, 1994) by Jean-Baptiste Monfalcon.
The Elzevir style of typeface originated with Louis Perrin.
Hrant Papazian writes: While I was looking for something else I ran into the single most important publication about Perrin that I know of: Audin's book on the 1923 Perrin exhibition in Lyon. It's quite rare - it seems only 61 copies were printed. There's a very extensive text (120 pages), a complete catalog of works, and some great facsimiles (as well as actual prints -like pressmarks- from Perrin's own engravings). The paper is very yellowed though. There are two things in there that will probably interesting you most: (1) A facsimile of Perrin's famous specimen sheet, showing two sizes that are basically Marquet's designs: the 11 and the second 14. Some scans shown below were published by Hrant Papazian.
Digital typefaces directly linked to Louis Perrin include the all caps typeface Grand Central by Tobias Frere-Jones (1998, Font Bureau), and the great contemporay revival of Augustaux by Mathieu Cortat simply called Louize (2013, +Display).
Bibliography: Laurent Guillo: Louis-Benoit Perrin et Alfred-Louis Perrin, imprimeure à Lyon 1823-1865-1883 (1986, Mé/moire, Ecole Normale Supérieure des Bibliothèques, Villeurbanne). [Google]
Senior designer in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Creator of two teardrop-themed all-caps vector format typefaces in 2013, Elegance and Lovers. In 2013, he created the curly serif caps typeface Romance, the decorative didone typeface Venus (2013), Floral Typeface (floral caps), and the ball terminal typeface Noble. He also created a set of icons for Octavian Back Office (2013). [Google]
Lucy Sansom (aka Fluoresecent Eyes) is based in the UK, where she studies at Kingston University.
She created Futura Floriated (2012) and Kallos (2012, dot matrix font). [Google]
Author of 100 Alphabets Publicitaires Dessinés par M. Moullet (1946, Editions Caboni, Bruxelles). Alphabets from that book include Letters in relief, Fancy Character, Ornamental Antique (art deco), Fancy Antique (multiline art deco), Fancy Antique 2 (a different style altogether), Pochoir (stenciled).
Free digitizations of these alphabets were made by Pape in his Mindofone / French Advertising Alphabets series of 2011-2012. Pape's fonts: FAA3DLettresEnRelief, FAAAllongees, FAAAllongeesBold, FAAAntiqueAllongee, FAAAntiqueGrasse, FAAAntiques, FAAAntiquesGrasses, FAABaroque3DInitiales, FAABlockLettresEnRelief, FAACameoHollow, FAACaracteresdeFantaisie, FAAChevauchantes, FAACubiques, FAAEcossaises, FAAEcritureGrasseEmoussee, FAAEgyptienneGrasse, FAAEgyptiennesEmoussees, FAAFantaisie, FAAFantaisieBlaireau, FAAFantaisieHardi, FAAFantaisieHaut, FAAFantasio, FAAFloralGothiqueInitiales, FAAFrenchMecane, FAAItalianHeavySlab, FAALettresAuCrayonItalic, FAALiberty, FAANormandes, FAANormandesAllongees, FAAOmbreeEnRelief, FAAOnciale, FAAOrientales, FAAPochoir, FAARomainClassique, FAARomainTypographique, FAScenesPaysannes, FAASerifEgyptienne, FAAVetteFantasieAntieke.
Download page. [Google]
Illustrator in Bucharest, Romania, who created a few floriated ornamental initials in 2013. She also creative a decorative techno typeface in 2013. [Google]
Graduate of the Design Department of the National University of Art in Bucharest, Romania. Born in Bucharest, she lives and studies in Valencia, Spain. In collaboration with Angelica Acosta Otero and Jorge Morales, in 2013, she created a decorative caps typeface as a proposal for an illustration congress in Valencia. She also created a few floriated initials in 2013. [Google]
Maelle Keita is the second identity of Thomas Boucherie (Montpellier, France). The Maelle persona is a Swiss creator of the free fonts La truite à Papa (2014), Mougatine (2014, a needle thread script), Chicken Chorizo (2014), Ventilla Stone (2014), Mademoiselle Camille (2014, swashy), Authentic Hilton (2014), Olympic Branding (2014), Le Laboratoire du Docteur Steak (2014), The Chicken Love Story (2014), Les Sorcières de la Lune Noire (2014), La Compagnie des Ombres (2014), Les Sensations de Cerise (2014), La Chatte à Maman (2014, a creamy script), Aligot de Mirabelle (2014, a great delicate calligraphic script), L'Antre du Corniche (2014, thin script), Caviar de Diane (2014, thin script), Karine Aime Les Chocolats (2014: a connected script), Death in the Shadow (2014: brush script), Akhenaton (2014: brush script), Mayumi Gumi (2014), Font For Children Indo (2014: dingbats), Anabelle Script (2014, a heavy brush script), Mademoiselle K (2014, a cursive typeface), Anacondas (2014, an upright connected script), Walker on the Moon (2014, connected script), Angelique ma douce Colombe (2014), Pomerole (2014), Paper For Your Ass (2014), Paper Towel (2014), Wolf in the City (2014), Dragon is Coming (2014), J'aime bien le dimanche (2014), Camelia (2014, grungy signage script), Kosmo Cat (2014, a stone age script), Ophelia Script (2014), Monkey Snake (2014), Ventilla Script (2014), Slow Motion (2014), Ail et Fines Herbes (2014: hairline script), Mister Fish : upright curly script (2014), Elephant (2014), Nemo One (2014), Royal Chicken (2014, signage script), Nenuphar of Venus (2013), There Can Only Be One Breaver Im It (2013: flourishes), Ruskof (2013, grunbgy Cyrillic simulation face), Kawaii Food Font (2013, dingbats), Chouette Alors (2013, owls), Eglantine (2013, upright script), Zentai Itacha (2013), Magnolia (2013), God Bless America (2013), Jack And The Beanstalk (2013, upright connected script), Halloween Trick (2013, dingbats), Noyeux Joel (2013, Christmas dings), Angel of Blood (2013), Matriochkas (2013), My Princess Likes A Frog (2013), Skate or Die (2013, dingbats), Chouette Alors (2013, owls), Sleep on the moon (2013), Animox (2013, teddy bear dingbats), It Was A Good Day (2013, ornaments and filets), Ordre de Depart (dot matrix face), Diane de France (2013, calligraphic), Serval (2013, script), Chicago Eskimo (2013, fat outlined signage face), Quality Street (2013, vintage signage script), From The Moment (2013, frames), Arabia (2013, upright connected script), Hector Le Dragon (2013), Fantom Better (2013), Mont Royal, Coccinelle, Ponctuation, Miel & Abeille, La Petite Puce, Yo te amo pero en secreto, Conjecture (a sketch font), Coloscobik (2013, a marquee face), Ejaculator, This Is Not A Font, Tell Me A Secret (2013), Chocolate Cake (2013, plump outline face), Eglantine (2013), Ornamind (2013, floral dingbats), La Grosse Cochonne (2013), Toyzareux (2013, bubblegum font), Oliver Tue Les Fourmis (2013), Two Fingers King (2013, an ornamental blackletter), Piragniac (2013), Marguerite (upright connected script), Gulliver, Arakphobia (2013, a spiderweb font), Gelatina Elemente (connected script), Zenzai Itacha (oriental simulation), Atlas Eternal 78 (2013), Serial MKV 1 (2013), The Black Manba (2013), Gang Bang Crime (2013, a dripping paint font), La Grenouille Verte Qui Devient Toute Rouge (2013), Aracme Waround (2013), Zoa Elephantesque (2013), Estrela Fulguria 1748 (2013, calligraphic), Cirus Quantum Solace (2013), Paint All Time (2013), Jumbo Burn (2013), Allo t'as pas de shampoing, Helene Queen K (2013, script), Not Only The Quake (2013, script), One Day Before Rain (2013), Bullet Campus (2013), Eternal Call (2013, swashy calligraphic font), Kill The Panda (2013, a textured blackletter face), Trash Butterfly (2013, ornamental caps) and In Secret I Love You (2013, hand-printed), A Sweet Melody My Lady (a circular font), Lady Solarus Queen 1789.
Fontspace link. Dafont link. [Google]
Fort Collins, CO-based graphic designer who created the floriated caps typeface Lush (2012).
Behance link. [Google]
Mari Drivdal Lie
Designer in Oslo who created Muridae (2012), a flowery ornamental caps typeface, and Borealis (2013, humanist sans). [Google]
Maria Eduarda Machado de Souza
Industrial designer in Rio de Janeiro who created the foliate typeface Fonte Folha (2013). [Google]
Peterborough, UK-based designer of the ornamental Flower Alphabet (2013). Behance link. [Google]
Graphic designer in Carlsbad, CA, who made the thin hand-drawn floriated typeface Flourish (2012). [Google]
Dallas, TX-based creator of the free art deco stencil typeface Glas Deco (2012), which is based on a specimen found in Hoffmanns Schriftatlas: Das Schriftschaffen der Gegenwart in Alphabeten und Anwendungen, Stuttgart 1930. Another download site. View the original.
Creator of Mexico 86 (2011), a bilined headline typeface that was modeled after the Mexico 1986 World Cup logo font, which in turn was based on Avant Garde Extra Light. Free download at abfonts.
Creator of Twin Mo 1 (2012, bilined).
In 2013, he/she created Hadley Numerals (based on the numbers originally generated by Gunter Gerhard Lange for his Derby typeface), and Hadley Stencil (based on the letters originally generated by Gret Mengelt-Mergenthaler and Walter Ballmer for their Swiss typeface TEXPO). Free download.
North Dallas Forty (2012, free) is based on the custom letters in the original 1979 movie posters and marketing materials for the film North Dallas Forty.
In 2011-2012, Dick Pape created a number of free fonts based on designs pointed out to him by Mindofone, and he calls them his Mindofone collection, 86 files strong. They include French Alphabets (FA) and French Advertising Alphabets (FAA). The French Advertising Alphabets were designed by M. Moullet in Brussels in 1946.
The FAA series: FAA3DLettresEnRelief, FAAAllongees, FAAAllongeesBold, FAAAntiqueAllongee, FAAAntiqueGrasse, FAAAntiques, FAAAntiquesGrasses, FAABaroque3DInitiales, FAABlockLettresEnRelief, FAACameoHollow, FAACaracteresdeFantaisie, FAAChevauchantes, FAACubiques, FAAEcossaises, FAAEcritureGrasseEmoussee, FAAEgyptienneGrasse, FAAEgyptiennesEmoussees, FAAFantaisie, FAAFantaisieBlaireau, FAAFantaisieHardi, FAAFantaisieHaut, FAAFantasio, FAAFloralGothiqueInitiales, FAAFrenchMecane, FAAItalianHeavySlab, FAALettresAuCrayonItalic, FAALiberty, FAANormandes, FAANormandesAllongees, FAAOmbreeEnRelief, FAAOnciale, FAAOrientales, FAAPochoir, FAARomainClassique, FAARomainTypographique, FAScenesPaysannes, FAASerifEgyptienne, FAAVetteFantasieAntieke.
The FA series consists first of all of digitizations that are from a booklet by signpainter Roumond entitled 32 Alphabets Modernes, published in Paris by A. Charayron and Léon Duran, some time in the 1930s. Pape's 32 fonts are FAModerne0369, FAModerne0562a, FAModerne0562b, FAModerne0946aBold, FAModerne0946bBold, FAModerne1367a, FAModerne1367b, FAModerne2021a, FAModerne2021b, FAModerne2491a, FAModerne2491b, FAModerne2491c, FAModerne2491d, FAModerne4441, FAModerne5204, FAModerne5204a, FAModerne5204b, FAModerne5204c, FAModerne6183a, FAModerne6183b, FAModerne6518a, FAModerne6518b, FAModerne6518c, FAModerne6518d, FAModerne7287a, FAModerne7287b, FAModerne7666, FAModerne7798, FAModerne9002a, FAModerne9002b, FAModerne9321a, FAModerne9321b.
The other fonts in the FA series are FAAntique2748, FAAntiqueShaded, FACondensedGothic, FACondensedReversedGothic, FAGillSignWritersGuide, FAGothicInitials, FAHerrickSignWriters, FAJeuSubstantoBold, FAPutti, FARoundSans4901, FAThin3394, FATransportReversed4858, FAUltraLight, FAVineInitials, FAWildFlowers.
Further typefaces by Dick Pape: Cathedral (2011, a sketched expressionist face, based on Martin Wait), ColorLinesFont (2010, based on work by Anton Gridz), ColorOutLinesFont, FuroreMexicoCameo, FuroreMexicoNormal, FuroreMexicoPlain, FuroreMexicoWide. The Furore series was made in 2011 based on Furore No. 11 The Mexico Issue (Piet Schreuders, Amsterdam, 1978).
Dick Pape font download page. [Google]
[Sem L. Hartz]
Molé Foliate is a great floriated caps font designed by the Parisian founder Molé, with floral decorations inside the open typeface 3d letters. Redrawn by S.L. Hartz at Stephenson Blake (1960) and/or Enschedé. Digital implementations include Mole Foliated (1997, unknown designer, free), [Google]
Monogram Fonts Co
[Brian J. Bonislawsky]
Commercial foundry, est. 2009 by Brian J. Bonislawsky (Las Vegas, NV), known for his participation in the Astigmatic One Eye Typographic Institute, the Breaking the Norm Font Library, VersusTwin Type Foundry, and Foundry-X. Fonts made in 2009 include MFC Franklin Corners, MFC Manoir Monogram (2009, Victorian initials), MFC Bijou Mopnogram, MFC Escutcheon Monogram, MFC Pantomime Monogram, MFC Peony Monogram (2009), MFC Vice Monogram (an Art Deco letterset (capitals only) from a 1915 publication by Cartier-Bresson of Paris), MFC Viper Monogram (based on Hollywood Combination Initials, found in a 1934 ATF book), MFC Carson Monogram (from Art Monogram and Lettering by J.M. Bergling, Vol. 1, Fifth Edition, 1912), MFC Semicirculus Monogram, MFC Royaume Monogram (after lettering from the 1884 Ames' Guide to Self Instruction in Practical and Artistic Penmanship by Daniel T. Ames), Bindi Monogram (after a 1915 publication by Cartier-Bresson of Paris), Carson Monogram (a letter set from the book Art Monogram and Lettering by J.M. Bergling, Vol. 1, Fifth Edition published in 1912, where it was simply labeled New Antique 53), Noir Monogram (after the "Pearl" letterset from the 1854 Becker's Ornamental Penmanship and Draughtsman's Letter Book by George J. Becker), Diamant Monogram, Distinto Borders (after the Black&White and Running Borders from the 1906 Abridged Keystone Type Foundry Specimen Book), Tagliato Monogram (after a decorative letterset (capitals only) from the 1899-1900 Treatise on Embroidery, Crochet and Knitting booklet by M. Hemingway&Sons Silk Co), Mouchoir Monogram, Memoriam Initials (based on University Initials in the 1934 Book of American Types by ATF), Moissanite Monogram (based on Diamond Combination Monograms from the same book), Monarchy Initials (based on Diamond Combination Monograms from the same book), Morningside Monogram and Neuport Monogram (both based on letters found in the 1934 Book of American Types by American Type Founders), Diamant Monogram, Distinto Borders (based on borders found in the 1906 Abridged Keystone Type Foundry Specimen Book), Ruse Monogram (an all caps typeface based on DeRoos Inline), Tagliato Monogram (from the 1899-1900 Treatise on Embroidery, Crochet and Knitting booklet by M. Hemingway&Sons Silk Co), and Tryst Monogram. MFC Franklin Corners (2009) is a series of three border dingbat fonts.
MFC Hills Medieval (2010) was developed from an overly ornamental blackletter type specimen found in the 1882 Hills Manual of Social and Business Forms. The interesting Victorian outline family Sappho Monogram (2010) was inspired by an alphabet set from the book, Monograms and Alphabets for Combination by Dollfus Mieg&Cie, first published in the 1890s.
Typefaces from 2012: MFC Bruce Corners.
Typefaces from 2013, all done with Jim Lyles: MFC Baelon Monogram (an 800-character monster font with outlined spurred letters from Dollfus Mieg's book, ca. 1890), MFC Bontebok Monogram, MFC Carnivale Monogram (known as Romantiques No. 3 and Ornate No. 2), MFC Thornwright Monogram (from the Manuel de Broderies No. 179 by N. Alexandre & Cie. from the late 1800s), MFC Zulu Monogram (an African-themed font inspired by Bibliothèque D.M.C: Alphabets et Monogrammes 2nd Series), MFC Jewelers Monogram (based on a decorative alphabet designed in 1901 by Marcus Goldsmith, an inventor of elegant accessories), MFC Verre Monogram, MFC Triangulus Monogram (based on a vintage publication called "Bibliotheque D.M.C: Alphabets et Monogrammes 2nd Series"), MFC Chaoxiang Monogram, MFC Fantasie Monogram, MFC Mastaba Monogram, MFC Voyeur Monogram (based on Broadway Monogram Initials in Book of American Types (1893, ATF)), MFC Haute Monde Monogram, based on Elite Monogram Initials in Book of American Types (1893, ATF)), MFC Budding Monogram, MFC Hardwood Monogram, MFC Almond Monogram, MFC Brass Rules Petit (based on filets from the Franklin Type Foundry), MFC Damask and MFC Damask Flourish (by Brian J. Bonislawsky and Jim Lyles, a Victorian capitals and floriated caps pair of typefaces based on Oxford No. 2 from the 1893 catalog of the Cleveland Type Foundry).
Typefaces from 2014: MFC Medieval Monogram (a Lombradic caps typeface based on Book of American Types (1934, American Type Founders)), MFC Chaplet Monogram (from Dessins de Broderies---Album No. 486 (Sajou, late 1800s)), MFC Capulet Monogram (based on Monograms and Alphabets for Combination (Dollfus Mieg & Cie, 1890s)), MFC Klaver Monogram, MFC Billow Monogram (from Manuel de Broderies No. 179 by N. Alexandre & Cie. from the late 1800's), MFC Aldercott Monogram (by Brian J. Bonislawsky and Jim Lyles, after a 1901 alphabet by Marcus Goldsmith, an inventor of elegant accessories of personal nature).
View the typefaces made by Brian Bonislawsky. [Google]
MyFonts: Floral typefaces
MyFonts selection of floral typefaces. Many of these are ornamental caps faces. See also here. [Google]
MyFonts: Flourished faces
MyFonts hit list for flourished typefaces, usually scripts. [Google]
Natalia Perez Penagos
Bogota, Colombia-based design student who created Florecer Imaginario (2012), a floriated caps typeface. [Google]
Creator of the iFontMaker fonts Flowery NC and Mainlevee NC (2010, hand-printed). [Google]
Born in Takamatsu, Kagawa-ken, Japan, in 1984, Natsuko is a Canadian-educated graphic designer who publishes most of her typefaces at Okaycat.
She created the high school handwriting fonts Geisha Holiday (2008) and Exchange Student (2008, Okaycat), and the dingbat fonts Little Japan (2008, exquisite Japanese dingbats) and Trees of Africa (2008, Okaycat). Hand Cursive and Stitch Cursive (2009) are upright connected scripts. Ribbon Cursive (2009) was developed from Mercator's Italic Hand. 3D Blocky (2009) is a hand-drawn 3-D font done with Luke William Turvey at Okaycat. Art of Japanese Calligraphy (2009, Okaycat) is a kanji font with calligraphic glyphs. With Luke William Turvey, she did Rustic Stamp (2009, grungy).
List of fonts as of the end of 2009: 3D Blocky, Art Of Japanese Calligraphy, Brush Writing OC, Courier Coco, Exchange Student, Geisha Holiday, Grunge Decay, Hand Cursive, Hand Writing OC, Japanese Brush Master, Japoneh, Little Japan (2008, dingbats), Porto, Ribbon Cursive, Rustic Stamp, Stitch Cursive, Trees Of Africa.
Fonts made in 2010: Flower Sketch (dingbats; see Flower Sketch Neue in 2014), The Inlines, The Inlines No Inlines, Kanji OC (a Latin font with a brushed Kanji character in place of each letter), Super Hand, Country Charm (dingbats), Rocktopus, Asian Scroll (kanji face).
Fonts from 2011: Okay Marker, Script Love (connected script), Muju (Asian brush script), Joopica (a grungy casual typeface done with Luke William Turvey), Okay Berry (connected script), Orchids (flower dingbats), Seashells (dingbats), Sumi (2011, a beautifully raw brush face), Mushrooms (2011), Azsitra (2011, handwriting), Right Hand (2011).
Fonts made in 2012: Ferns (dingbats), Arco Web (hand-printed, with Luke William Turvey), Oracle Bone (based on ancient Chinese glyphs), Arco Dot (think "Dalmatian"), Azola (hand-lettered caps), Azsion (a sketch font), Flowertype (a pair of floriated typefaces), Azoe (hand-drawn all caps poster face), Christmas Cards (greetings and ornaments).
Fonts from 2013: Swallowtail Butterflies, Flows, Flows Stencil, Komela (a curvy thin poster font), Arco Star (done with Luke William Turvey), Star Cursive, Cosmos Cursive, 3D Cocoro, Cocoro (a sketched handlettered display typeface done with Luke William Turvey), Anika (curly, scratchy hand-printed typeface), Birds (hairline drawings of birds), Azebra (textured script), 3D Cursive.
Typefaces from 2014: Maple Lane Cursive, Forest Cursive (connected script), Azola (an elegant connected letter cursive script), Cat Talk (outlined font), Maple Lane, Maple Street (with Luke William Turvey), Shaqa (inline).
Klingspor link. [Google]
Graphic designer and illustrator in Nantes, France. Behance link.
Creator of the sci-fi / paper fold typeface Oribinary (2012)i and of the floriated decorative typeface Bloom (2013). [Google]
Designer from Santiago, Chile, b. 1989. Dafont link.
Creator of the floriated caps typeface Magic Fleurons (2012). [Google]
During her studies at the Art Institute of Portland in Portland, OR, Nicole Liu created the display typeface N-Type (2014, sans) and Leaf (2014, a decorative foliate typeface). [Google]
Creator of the floriated typeface Ivy (2012, iFontMaker). [Google]
Designer of Bravo AV (2004, a sans face), Hikarigama (2003, oriental font simulation), Numerica Sans (2002, inspired by the Bauhaus movement), Unicratica (2002), Kotica (2002, a futuristic font), Bamboo (2002), Chai House (2002) and Syncratica (2002, a futuristic font), Copernican (2002, futuristic), Impressica (2002, distressed), Tribal (2004, a floriated caps version of Fedra Serif). [Google]
Olivia Linn Sørensen
Illustrator who studied at Savannah College of Art and Design. Based in Vejle, Denmark. In 2014, she drew some floriated drop caps. Behance link. [Google]
Outside The Line Fonts
Outside The Line Fonts was founded by Rae Kaiser (b. 1951, Marshfield, WI), and is based in Eau Claire, WI, on the shores of Lake Monona. Rae's fonts include
- Typefaces from 2014: Nautical Doodles, Flourishes & Ornaments, Kitchen Doodles, Woodland Doodles.
- Typefaces from 2013: RSVP Brush (a fat brush face), Farm Doodles, Chicago Doodles, Happy Hour Doodles.
- Typefaces from 2012: Flower and Leaf Borders, New Orleans Doodles, Ultra Condensed, Birthday Doodles, Reading and Writing Doodles.
- Waikiki Doodles (2011), Vibrant Women (2011, female figure dingbat typeface done with Nancy Vala), London Doodles (2011), Woof (2011, dog silhouettes done with Nacy Vala), Lake Vacation Doodles (2011), Drop Cap One (2011), Cowboy Doodles (2011), Cordially Yourz (2011, hand-printed).
- Yuletide Doodles (2010), House Doodles (2010), Paisley and Swirl Doodles (2010), Fondly Yourz (2010, hand-drawn serif face), Paris Doodles (2010---a great dingbat face), Leaf Doodles (2010).
- Knitting And Sewing Doodles (2009), Just People (2010, with justine Childs), Just Shoes and Purses (2009), Sincerely Yourz (2009, child's hand), Flower Doodles (2009), Just Flower Pots (2009, dingbats; with Justine Childs), Just Christmas (2009, Xmas dings done with Justine Childs), Just Frames (2009: with Justine Childs), Frames and Borders (2009, followed by Frames and Borders Too, 2010).
- Wedding Doodles (2008, dingbats, followed in 2009 by Wedding Doodles Too), Hearts and Swirls (2008, heart dingbats), Fruit and Veggie Doodles (2008), Crowns (2008, with Justine Childs), Yourz Truly (2008), Font Doodles Too (2008, a 31-glyph food clipart dingbat font), Home Sweet Home Dingbats (2008), Hodgepodge (2008, +Handlettered, 2010), Dearest John (2008, handwriting), Doodles (2008), Diva Doodles (2008), Architectural Lettering (2008), Plz Script (2008, brush), Plz Print (2008, brush), BlobsBrushstrokesAndBalloons (2009), Baby Doodles (2008), Doodles Too (2008), Guy Doodles (2008), Party Doodles (2007), Party Doodles Too (2008).
- Christmas Doodles (2007, dingbats), Christmas Doodles Too (2008), Holiday Party Words (2007, comic book style letters), Fleurons of Paris (2007), Ornaments of Paris (2007), Heart Doodles (2007, followed by Heart Doodles Too in 2008).
- Coffee and Tea Doodles (2006), Diva Doodles Too (2006, fun diva dingbats), Justine (2006, with Justine Childs), Architectural Lettering (1999), Cross Stitch, Doodles, DoodlesTheAlphabet, Food Doodles, Fooddoodles, Hat Doodles (2006), Tall Skinny Condensed.
See also here. Agfa/Monotype sells Architectural Lettering, Cross Stitch, CurlyQ, Doodles, DoodlesTheAlphabet, Food Doodles, Holiday Doodles, Office Doodles, Plz Print, Plz Print Brush, Plz Print Bold Condensed, Plz Script, the hand-printed series (Best Regardz, Dearest John, Yourz Truly and Sincerely Yourz, 2009) and Tall Skinny Condensed (1999).
MyFonts link. Font Bros link. MyFonts interview. Klingspor link.
View Rae Kaiser's typefaces. [Google]
Paulo Madeira (Tomar, Portugal) created the modular floriated typeface Kaya (2011). During the height of the Occupy Wall Street movement, he created a font for demonstrations and strikes called Monoquay (2011), a heavy and angry geometric sans. [Google]
[Outside The Line Fonts]
Raul Ki Wong
Design student in Monterrey, Mexico, who created a floriated caps typeface in 2012. [Google]
Toronto-based designer of the floral typeface Flores (2014). [Google]
Samuel Louis Sem Hartz
Dutch designer at Johan Enschedé en Zonen in Haarlem, whose work was also published by Stephenson Blake and Linotype. Born in Leiden in 1912, he died in Haarlem in 1995. He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Amsterdam, specializing in engraving. He joined Enschedé in 1936 where he would become art director. He made Juliana (Linotype, 1958; the original commission by Walter Tracy dates back to 1952; many penguin editions used Juliana), Emergo (1949, Enschedé, a typeface that was never released; he wrote The Emergo Type in PAGA, volume 2, number 3, pages 57-60, 1954), Molé Foliate (1960, see below) and Ponture (1971).
Lines&Splines reports the famous line by Hartz about Jan van Krimpen, his predecessor at Enschedé: the story of Van Krimpen's life could be subtitled, From Angry Young Man to Angry Old Man (note: Van Krimpen did not get along with many people.) Molé Foliate is a great floriated caps font designed by the Parisian founder Molé, with floral decorations inside the open typeface 3d letters. Redrawn in 1960 by Hartz at Stephenson Blake. A free digital version, Molé Foliated, was made in 1997 by an unknown designer.
In 2006, Mathieu Lommen published Sem Hartz and the Making of Linotype Juliana (Inferno Press, Vancouver). Digitizations of Juliana include Juliana Text by David Berlow at Font Bureau.
A collection of Hartz's correspondence and prints (from his own press, Tuinwijkpers) can be found at the University of Amsterdam. He also designed some Dutch postage stamps. [Google]
Selby Wainman (Derby, UK) created the curly Flower Font (2013). [Google]
Sem L. Hartz
Master of Fine Arts student in Graphic Design at Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) in Savannah, GA, class of 2013. Creator of the floral ornamental caps typeface Botanical (2012). Stillis (2013) is a fluid roman face: "Stillis" is directly translated to the word "drip" in Latin, which plays off the fluidity of water and the arches on Roman aqueducts, such as Pont du Gard.
Behance link. [Google]
Chilean designer of the Easter dingbat fonts Easter Eggs ST (2014) and UnTaRot ST (2014). Other free typefaces from 2014 include Shapes St, Stupenda ST, Grafeno (connect-the-dots), Puente Estrecho (hairline), Tipo Capital, Cuadrada (dot matrix style), Apurado Royitto (arched typeface), Brillante, Novation Box, Rudasteria, Presidiario (horizontally striped typeface), Puente Nuevo, Rockmia ST (a glaz krak face), Boceto ST (outlined typeface), Puente Bueno ST, Open 24 Display ST (LED font), Iniciales ST, Floreada ST, Concadenado ST, Phantom ST, Santiago Sans ST, Es La Dura WN ST, Ledsitex ST, Imnova ST, Cinema ST, Cathedral ST, And Run ST (textured caps typeface), Older ST (textured face), Asrelurio ST, Hearts ST, Other Display ST (LED font), Salpicado ST, Adornada ST, Extragna Rara ST, Fichas ST, LED Simple ST (dot matrix font), Dominos ST, News Papers, Our Display ST (LED emulation), Lineal Simples ST, Cuadradex Simple ST (hexagonal face), Edournida ST (a textured typeface), Tripleled ST (dot matrix), Bicolors ST, Absolutamente Rou ST, Flowers ST, Leders (dot matrix), Old Computer ST, Rounded Display ST, Lediz (dot matrix face), Alien Faces ST, Westranga (textured), Rostros y Emociones (smilies), Filligrees and Ornaments ST, Demionatibu and Cube Face ST. Dafont link. [Google]
Bandung, Indonesia-based creator of the ornamental caps non-font alphabet Leaf and Flowers (2011). Aka Lunaetha. [Google]
San Jose, CA-based designer. Behance link. Creator of the floriated caps typeface Morris (2011). This typeface was based largely on work done at San Jose State University while completing a BFA degree in graphic design. [Google]
Quebec-based designer (b. 1971) in 2010 of the outline face Elégante and of the grunge faces Apocalypse Regular, Arbre, Autodestruction, Papineau (hand-printed), de Lorimier, Gardien d'herbe, Elusion (organic), Cataclysme (grunge), Wolfred Nelson (rubber stamp caps), Chénier (grunge), Crack and Bold, Fleur de Lys (dingbats that are useful pour mon pays), Manuscrit, Ancien (grungy inline face), Confusion, Patriote 1837 Regular, Arbre (hand-printed) and Cloutier Script (hand-printed).
Typefaces created in 2011: Sioux Caps (ornamental caps: a scanbat face), Flower Cap (floriated caps), Damned (a grungy horror movie typeface), Sketch Me (a sketched face).
Typefaces from 2012: Dill Francis, I Hate Futur, Fabrics (stitch font), Stucco, Children, Hacking Trashed, Flower (floriated caps), Arbre, Patriotes 1837, Damned Deluxe, Trashed Light (grunge), Leather (ornamental caps), Punk Rock Show, Crack And Bold, Ana Eve (grunge), British Museum 1490 (ornamental caps), Nature Font (grungy caps), Chenier (grunge), Mosaique (a textured typeface), Motor Pieces (commercial), Mixtec Codice (Maya, Aztec or Inca dingbats), Parkinson (grungy outlines), Ludger Duvernay, Monster, Sponge, Napoleon (a nice fat poster face), Negative Film, Nelson Old Newspaper, Fuck Autority (sic), Rene Levesque (hand-printed), First Nation (an Indian scanbat face), Pustule, Emilie (hand-printed caps), Papineau (hand-printed), Sixties, Dali, Midnight (brush face), Fairy Tale (ornamental caps), Tiger Balloon (African-themed), Rafael (fat poster face), Sacred Place (heavy poster family), Pistache Regular (unicase Plakat font), Morning Stress, Hippie Gypsy (ornamental caps), FBI Old Report (old typewriter face), Mitsouskos, Ten O Clock (a multiline hand-printed face), Strawbwrry, Jewels, CF Night of the Damned, CF One Two Trees (tree-themed), Hagadou (bejeweled letters), CF Punk Forever (white on black grunge), CF Anabelle (curly script), CF Samurai Bob, CF Marie-Eve, CF Christmas Shit, CF Pinceau (fat brush face), CF Deco 1492, CF Cracked Stone, CF Metropolis Serif, CF Punky, CF Snowball (snow-capped glyphs), CF Tuques, CF Revolution, CF Fashion, CF Tissus, CF Christmas Letters, CF Diamond (diamond-studded letters), CF Stencil Orama, CF Dallas Stars (stars and stripes face), CF Old Photograph Credit Font, CF Christmas Letters.
Typefaces from 2013: CF National Stitches, CF Spaceship, Historia (sans caps), CF WireFrame, CF NaVia, CF Sortilege, CF Spirality, CF Charlie, CF Fredo Style, CF Little Monsters (alphadings), CF Tissus, CF I Love Montreal (fat finger face), CF Jungle, CF Paris (art deco caps), CF Marie Eve Cartoons, CF Circuit Electrique, CF Jack Story, CF Punk Attitude, CF Billabong, CF I Want To Believe Comp (grunge), CF Zombie Party (crayon or lipstick font), CF Life Is Beautiful (paint font), CF Gothika (grungy blackletter), CF Manifesto (painted letters), CF Rise of Nations, CF The Lost Batallion, CF Armageddon, CF Electronic Board, CF Old Typography (letterpress font), CF Modern 165, CF Hockey Players (dingbats published on the day the Montreal Canadians were humiliated, 6-1, by the Ottawa Senators in the Stanley Cup playoffs), CF Nelson Old Caracters (sic), Peru Adventure, CF Montreal High School (athletic lettering), Urban Life (textured font), CF Same Old Story (grunge), CF Plants And Flowers, CF Cant Change The World (clean, hand-printed), CF Jeanne Mance, CF Jeans Collection (textured), CF Alien Abduction, CF Rebelle (brush font), CF Jungle Adventure, CF Never Trust A Hippy, CF Anarchy (ransom note font), CF Life Is A Dream (grunge), CF Farwest, CF Typocraft, CF Politicians Killers (blood drip face), CF Technomania, CF Technorama, CF I Love Ugly Fonts, CF Ribbon, CF Tree Of Life, CF Revenge, CF Back to School, CF Nut And Bolts, CF Final Conflict (brush script), CF Nostalgia (brush face), CF Industrial Fabrics (textured face), CF Font Shading, CF Rock Age, CF Nouvelle France (antiqued alphabet), CF My Bloody Valentine, CF Ceinture Flechee (multilined typeface), CF Disappointed, CF Atlantide, CF Bucherons (texture face), CF Simon Marchessault (hand-printed), CF Haunted House (brush face), Gray Texture, CF Space Cowboy (textured typeface), CF Louis Cyr.
Typefaces from 2014: CF Goliath, CF Alone on Earth, Stencil o Rama, Bad News (textured face), CF Xerography, CF Milk, CF Springtime, CF Crayons, CF Dwarf, CF Asshole Politicians, CF Old Milwaukee (spurred typeface), CF Paris Old Style (grungy Peignotian typeface), Creature of Darkness (textured typeface), Quebec Stamp (grungy stencil), Schizophrenia (neurotic typeface), La Belle Helene, CF William Wallace, CF Dots 521, CF LCD 521, CF America, CF Left Behind, CF Jacques Cartier.
Fontspace link. Klingspor link. Dafont link. [Google]
Rochester Institute of Technology's School of Printing graduate who lived in California and in Holland, MI, and now resides in Louisville, Colorado. He was a disciple of Chuck Bigelow and Kris Holmes. MyFonts page on him. In 1990, he started work at Monotype in Palo Alto to create the Windows truetype core fonts Arial, Times New Roman and Courier New. He stayed with Monotype and then Agfa/Monotype until 2003 (when he was probably fired, but that is only an unreliable guess), directing type development from the design office in Palo Alto, CA. Bio at Agfa/Monotype. He has directed branding projects such as Agilent Technology's corporate sans serif and Microsoft's corporate font family 'Segoe'. At the same time, he was involved in producing bitmaps and outline fonts for cell phones and TV set top environments. He has worked extensively designing Greek, Cyrllic, Thai, Hebrew and Arabic alphabets to satisfy the requirements of customers such as IBM, Microsoft, Nokia, Sun and Sybase. In 2004, he co-founded Ascender Corporation in Northbrook, IL, where he remained Type Design Director until Ascender was bought by Monotype, where he now heads the type design team (12 people in all, as of 2013).
CBC interview in 2012. Fontspace link. FontShop link. At ATypI 2011 in Reykjavik, he spoke on typefaces for Android OS.
- Andale Mono: Andalé Mono (also known as Andale Mono, Monotype.com) is a monospace sans-serif typeface designed for terminal emulation and software development environments. It was originally created by Monotype. Andalé Mono was first distributed as an Internet Explorer 4.0 add-on under the name Monotype.com. In version 1.25 of the font, it was renamed to Andale Mono, distributed with Internet Explorer 5. It is often used by programmers, and is bundled with Mac OS X.
- Andy, his first face, a design based on a friend's lefty handwriting. Published at Agfa's Creative Alliance.
- Arimo (2010). A free sans family at Google Code that is metrically compatible with Arial.
- Ascender Sans Mono (2004-2008), metrically compatible with Courier New. Ascender Serif (2005, 4 styles) is metrically compatible with Times New Roman.
- Ascender Uni Duo is a fixed-width comprehensive Unicode-compatible font available with support for the Unicode Standard. Ascender Uni Duo is a 39MB TrueType font with approximately 53,000 glyphs. The Latin and related glyphs (designed by Steve Matteson) are Sans Serif, with Gothic ideographs drawn in Japanese style, and complementary styles for other scripts. There are also versions of Ascender Uni that provide localized support for Korean, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese. OpenType layout support is included for Arabic (initial, medial, final, isolate, and required ligature forms, as well as basic mark positioning), and vertical writing for CJK locales (consisting mostly of Latin, symbol, punctuation, and kana glyph variants). Character Set: Latin-1, WGL Pan-European (Eastern Europe, Cyrillic, Greek and Turkish), Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Hebrew, Arabic. Ashley Crawford.
- Ayita (2006, Ascender), a decorative sans family co-designed with Jim Ford.
- Bertham Pro (2009), 4 styles including Open, after Goudy's Bertham.
- Blueprint (1993).
- Chicory (2006, Ascender), a calligraphic script face.
- Cousine (2010). A free family at Google Code that is metrically compatible with Courier New. See also OFL.
- Creepy (Ascender Corporation): a Halloween font designed with Carl Crossgrove.
- Curlz MT. Done with Carl Crossgrove in 1995, based on wrought iron on chairs.
- Droid Sans, Droid Sans Mono and Droid Serif Pro: a font family designed in 2006-2007 by Steve Matteson at Ascender for Google's Android project, mobile phone software for handsets. Free download at CTAN.
- Dujour (2005, Ascender Corporation): an art deco revival of the 1930's typeface Independant by Joan Collette and Jos Dufour for Plantin. Compare with the free Independant by Apostrophic Labs.
- Endurance Pro (2009): neo-grotesque sans.
- Facade Condensed.
- Fineprint, a design loosely based on his own penmanship ("on a good day"). Another Creative Alliance face.
- Friar Pro (2009): Friar Pro is a revival of Frederic W. Goudy's "Friar" typeface. Goudy described this typeface design as a 'typographic solecism' as it combines a lowercase of half-uncial forms from the 4th through 7th centuries with an uppercase of square capitals from the 4th century. Friar was originally designed in 1937 and used to print a Christmas keepsake produced by Goudy and printer Howard Coggeshall. The fire that burned Goudy's studio in 1939 destroyed the drawings and matrices before many metal fonts were cast. Of all that was lost in the fire, Goudy once said he missed Friar the most.
- Gill Floriated Caps.
- Goudy Fleurons (2010).
- Goudy Ornate (2002). Unsure if Matteson made this or Carl Crossgrove.
- Kennerley. Based on Goudy's Kennerley family.
- Kootenay (2006, Ascender), a sans family.
- LeBeau: signage font.
- Liberation Mono, Sans and Serif (2007-2009, Ascender). A set of free open source fonts done for Red Hat Inc.
- Lindsey Pro (2006, Ascender): a cursive script based on his niece's hand.
- Louisville Script (2008): Ordinary handwriting.
- Massif Pro (2006-2011, Ascender).
- Mayberry (2008, ascender): a 14-font sans family with extremely large x-height and strange proportions. Mayberry semibold is free.
- McZee, a Microsoft symbols font.
- Miramonte (2006). A geometric sans.
- Open Sans. A free family.
- Overpass (2011). A free open source sans font created for Red Hat Inc that emulates the typeface used by the US Highway system.
- Newstyle. Based on Goudy's 1920 face, Newstyle.
- Pericles Pro (2005): An Ascender typeface based on the work of Robert Foster who created the original for American Type Founders in 1934), a 433-glyph OpenType font for Greek simulation or stone cut looks.
- Pescadero Pro (2005): a serif face.
- Rockwell Team (Ascender): an athletic lettering face.
- Rebus Script (2009): done with Terry Weinzierl.
- Scooter Script (2009, Ascender): comic book style face.
- Segoe (2009, Ascender) and Segoe Mono (2012, Ascender: with Jim Ford) and Segoe TV (1997-2004, done for MSNTV).
- Tinos (2010). A free serif family at Google Code, metrically compatible with Times New Roman.
- Titanium (2006), an organic font. Titanium Motors (2012) is a techno font.
- Truesdell, a revival and extension of the "lost" Goudy types cut in 1931. Also at Creative Alliance. Also includes Truesdell Sorts.
- Tucker Script (2009, Ascender): ordinary handwriting face.
- Twentieth Century Poster (2002), an art deco display font straight from the late 1920s.
- Verdorgia (2010): an ugly duckling.
Klingspor link. Fontspace link. [Google]
[Goh Yam Whee]
Strange Design is Goh Yam Whee in Singapore. Intersections of circles, and only that, was used to create the outlines of the experimental but mathematically precise typeface Fleurmetry (2011) that was created by Goh Yam Whee (Singapore) in 2011. Stac (2013) is a 3d typeface. [Google]
Orlando, FL-based designer of the floriated caps typeface Fleurnacular (2014), which uses a Times New Roman outline. [Google]
Born in Lincoln, UK, in 1942, Ted Staunton now lives near Vancouver, and designs type. After serving a five-year apprenticeship as a hand compositor (1958-1963) with the Lincolnshire Publishing Co., he spent three years (1963-1966) at Leicester College of Art&Design, graduating in type design. After spending some time in London working for Penguin, Hamlyn and other book publishing houses, he emigrated to Canada in 1970, working for Mitchell Press and Hemlock Printers in Vancouver before opening his own design business and letterpress printing shop, Sherwood Graphics, in 1984. In 1991 he published a private press book, The Lincolnshire Poacher, illustrated with his own wood-engravings. He is lives in Surrey, BC. Some of his fonts were used privately on transfer lettering sheets and cast in metal for hand typesetting at his private press, Sherwood Letterpress.
At P22, he designed the semi-gothic font P22 Tyndale (2002) and Tyndale Extras (2002). In 2003, P22 launched Staunton's Sherwood Type Collection, a beautiful collection of revivals: Afton (2003), Albemarle (2008: connected script), Albion (2003), Albion Italic, Amelia (2003: ornamental caps in the style of William Morris), Aragon (2003), Avocet Light (2000: chancery script), Canterbury (2006, +Caps A, Caps B, Caps C, Pro), Elven (2003), Floriat (2003: floriated ornaments), Founders (2003), Freely (2002), Kaz (2008, between architecture and Comic Sans), P22 Kelly Pro (2009, Celtic style uncial), Latimer (2002), Lindum (2000), Mayflower (2002: medieval lettering), Mayflower Italic, Mayflower Smooth (2009), Mercian (2003), Phantasmagoria (2006: Celtic influences), Plymouth (2001), Roanoke Script (2002, a rough texture typeface; Albemarle is the smooth version), 1722 roman (2002), 1722 italic, Sherwood (2002), Sparrow (2001), Symphony (1995), Tyndale, and Tyndale Xtras.
In 2005, he published the Staunton Script family at P22. This package includes handwritten style typefaces that simulate the period spanning between the English Civil War (1640s) and the Victorian Era (1839-1901): Virginian, Royalist, Grosvenor, Grenville, Elizabethan, Broadwindsor, Chatham. In 2009, just in time for Halloween, he created P22 Spooky. P22 Ruffcut was designed in 2012.
In 2014, Ted Staunton finished P22 Amelia Jayne which has a classical roman, with several sets of initial caps.
View Ted Staunton's typefaces. [Google]
FontStructor who made the horizontally-striped typeface Strobes (2012), Simplicity (2012), Smashel (2012), Extora (2012, textured face), Dead Stirrup (2012), Checker (2012), Slice (2012), and Tesla (2012, based on the logo of the electrical company Tesla).
In 2013, we find Hearty (Valenttine's Day font), Anubis (retro futurism), Tockice (connect-the-dots), Swirl, Teeny Dots (dot matrix face), Specs (arrowed letters), Atlas Regul (art deco marquee face), Smash (dot matrix face), Steam (steam punk, mechanical), Apricot (dot matrix), Peach, Koverkav (tall connected script), Zastava (art deco), Syncopation (avant garde), Centrivid, Time Script, Grey Sans (a textured sans), Seriphagy, Mona, Lightheart (a Broadway style art deco face), Lower (tall ascenders), 2Time, DotoMagy (dot matrix face), Finolin, Remaster (horizontal stripes), Whimsy, Procol (vertical striping), Ceremonio (vertical striping), Island, and Quindle. In March 2013, he published Circles and wrote I finally nailed a perfect circle, which many consider the holy grail over at FontStruct. That is to say, the imperfections in the circle are only visible at large point sizes---quite an achievement.
Typefaces from 2014: Pointy (arrowed face), Gypsy Train (bilined, frilly), Mad Hatter (card font), , Origami, Pointers (hexagonal), Angled (deco), Owlarium, Blossum (floral), Jarvis (wooden plank font), Cocktail Bar, Circuit Breaker, Every Good Boy, Circus Comes to Towne (sic) (circus font), Fruit Stripes (art deco, striped). [Google]
Ramiz Guseynov was born in Russia and educated as an architect and graphic designer. After moving to the USA in 1991, where he worked as a graphic designer, Ramiz Guseynov became a part-time type designer who published his work at T-26. In 2004, he set up his own foundry, TipografiaRamis in Highland Park, IL.
Klingspor link. Behance link.
- Septa (2001).
- Alert (2002). A seven-weight octagonal font at T-26.
- Volt (2007). Mechanical, octagonal.
- Egon, a 6-style industrial slab serif family done in 2007-2010, was named after the great German architect, Egon Eiermann. Egon Sans followed in 2011. Egon Sans Condensed followed a few months later in 2011.
- Fermo TRF (2008). Geometric, angular, techno-stylish display typeface. The original Fermo was done in 2002 at T-26.
- Decima (2008). A sans family, followed in 2009 by Decima and Decima Mono, in 2011 by Decima Nova, and in 2014 by Decima Mono X. Image.
- Fox TRF (2008). An upright italic, that was followed in 2009 by Fox Sans TRF.
- Octa (2008) is a full 9-style octagonal family that includes two stencil styles.
- Dina (2008) is an impish sans family, accompanied by Dina Stencil (2008).
- Mymra Piano (2009) is a monoline serif Roman face, inspired by Charles Robinson lettering from the art nouveau period. Mymra Forte and Mymra Mono (2009) are related.
- Neubau (2009) is a condensed geometric display family with sans and slab serif subfamilies, which took inspiration from the Bauhaus movement. The inspiration for this typeface came from Joost Schmidt's lowercase letters developed from 1925 until 1928 at Bauhaus Dessau. Neubau Grotesque (2010) is an elementary minimalist sans face. Neubau Serif is a slabby version---this entire family was inspired by Bauhaus proponent Joost Schmidt, 1925-1928.
- The Meez (2009). Experimental, techno.
- Pona (2010). A serifed text family with large x-height.
- Toscana (2010). A decorative floriated display font.
- Umbria (2010). A decorative display family.
- Ultima (2010, a rounded monoline display family). Extended in 2013 to Ultima Pro.
- Arlequin (2010).
- Cargo TRF (2010). A stencil family.
- Compass (2002, T-26). A very innovative 21-st century geometric didone family redone in 2009 as Compass TRF; +Stencil, 2010). This was followed by Compass Next and Compass St (the stencil version) in 2014.
- The simple sans family Bouclé (2010; +Loopy, a version with loops and curls).
- Croog is a rounded geometric monoline typeface, built in three weights with true italics. Inspiration for this typeface was derived from FF Roice (2003, Alex Scholing).
- Silver Twig (2011). A flowing upright semi-connected script.
- Haggard (2011). An angular wedge serif family.
- DeeDee (2011) is a Latin/Cyrillic display family.
- Centima (2011): a geometric sans serif typeface family. Centima Mono (2012, monospaced) is well suited for editorial and information design.
- Fox Grotesque (2012) is a semi-sans family with interesting alternates. Followed in 2014 by Fox Grotesque Pro.
- RAMS (2013) is a retro grotesque.
- Colon and Colon Mono (2013) are slabbed typefaces that emulate typewriter typefaces.
View Ramiz Guseynov's typefaces. [Google]
Todd M. Hallock
Turkish Designs: Digitizations by Dick Pape
The ten fonts by Dick Pape under the name Turkish Designs (2008) Contain a selection of designs from Traditional Turkish Designs published by Dover Publications and from 670 Motifs from Iznik Pottery by Azade Akar, 1988. These typefaces have spirals, florals, cloud scrolls, pomegranates, tulips, roses and rosebuds, carnations, irises, hyacinths, cypresses, clusters of leaves (saz), vases and holy water flasks, rumi scrolls (arabesques), sailing ships and galleons, deers, fishes, peacocks, dragons and phoenixes, human figures and, of course, and harpy motifs. [Google]
[Vincent Le Moign]
A vector ornament pack (EPS and AI formats) can be downloaded here. It was made by Vincent Le Moign from Rennes, France, who is now based in Chiang Mai, Thailand. There is an extensive set (for money) and a free sampler set. The ornaments are from George Bruce's catalog from 1882.
In 2013, he published Printer's Paradise (430 frames and 179 seamless patterns, taken directly from George Bruce's Son & Co Type Catalog (1882)) and Luxurious Flourishes (543 ornaments and 179 frames taken from Specimen Album catalog, by the Charles Derriey French type foundry (1862)).
There is also a list of links to free vintage fonts. [Google]
Vera Andreia Brito de Sousa
Graphic designer in Crestview, FL, who graduated from the University of North West Florida. In 2013, she created the floriated and teardropped typeface Dreia Elegante. [Google]
Viananda Andrias (Bandung, Indonesia) designed the Garutan Adiwijaya typeface in 2012. This type was based on patterns found in traditional garments (batik) from Garut, Indonesia. He also made the floriated typeface Rivaurum (2012). [Google]
Vincent Le Moign
Art direcrtor in Aracaju, Brazil. During his studies, he created the floriated typeface Arabescus (2014). [Google]
Gert Wiescher was born in Braunsbach am Kocher, Germany, in 1944. Based in München, Gerd Wiescher designed many classy and classic Bodoni families, as well as New Yorker Type (1985). All of his typefaces are carefully fine-tuned and balanced. Wiescher founded first Munich Type and then Wiescher Design and Autographis. He is known as a hard, fast and prolific worker. His exquisite faces can be bought at MyFonts. Catalog of his bestselling typefaces. Interview in 2008. Wikipedia page. List of faces:
- Scripts: Sherlock Script (2014: this comes with Sherlock Stuff (fingerprints) and Sherlock Stuff Dots (ink stains)), Felicita (2013, a swashy copperplate script), Vividangelo (2013, after the handwriting of a real person), Dreamline (2013, connected monoline cursive wedding scripts in A, B and C styles), Fiorentina (2012, a renaissance style script with 650 characters), Excelsia Pro (2012), Delicia Pro (2012, a fat bruishy signage script), Nono (2011, formal swashy calligraphic family), Dyane (2011), Penn (2011), Lettera (2011, hand-drawn formal face), Tosca (2010, a high-contrast calligraphic typeface with 730 glyphs), Grandcafe (2010), Loulou (2010, curly and of extreme contrast), Schoolblock (2010, hand-printed school font), Grandezza (2010, calligraphic family; +Xtra), Sixtra (2010, a curly didone script), English Script (2010, classic Spencerian calligraphic script), Savage Initials (2009), Morning News (2009), Revolte (2009, a brush script for demonstration signs), Estelle (2009), Scriptofino (2008, 4 calligraphic styles to give Zapfino a run for its money), Exprima (2008), Daiquiri (2008), Lisa Bella, Lisa Fiore and Lisa Piu (2008, connected and calligraphic), Tati (2008), Movie Script (2007), Cake Script (2007), Eddy (2007, grungy calligraphy), Pointino (2007), Bohemio (2007, a great oriental-brush script), Artegio (2007, two calligraphic scripts), Xylo (2006, in the tradition of the 18th-century English calligrapher George Bickham and the 19th-century American calligrapher Platt Rogers Spencer), Tamara (2005, art-deco script based on some initials for Semplicita made in the 1930s by the Nebiolo foundry), Tecon, Ellida (2005, inspired by the elaborate scripts of 18th-century English calligrapher George Bickham, with additional influences from 19th-century American calligrapher Platt Rogers Spencer), Eloise (2009, a high-contrast version of Ellida), Nadine Script (2005, an elegant script inspired by a set of initials the French designer and artist Bernard Naudin drew for Deberny&Peignot in the 1920s), Royal Classic (2005, unbelievable script based on a design that has initially been comissioned by King Ludwig I of Bavaria for in-house-use), DesignerScript, Filzer Script (1995, handwriting), Futuramano-Condensed-Bold, Futuramano-Condensed, Futuramano-Plain, Futuramano-Thin, Giambattista, Scriptissimo-Plain, Scriptissimo-Forte, Scriptissimo-Swirls, Squickt (1989), Konstantin A, B and C (2005), Konstantin Forte (2005), MyScript, GrocersScript, Swanson (2006). Scriptissimo (2004) has versions named Start, Middle and End, tweaked for their position in the word, and there are plenty of ligatures. Check also Bodoni Classic Chancery (2007) and Bodonian Script (2012).
- Sans: Dylan Condensed (2014), Dylan Copperplate (2014), Supra (2013, grotesk: Supra Thin is free. See also Supra Condensed (2013), Supra Mezzo (2013, between regular and condensed), Supra Extended (2013) and Supra Classic (2014)), Supra Demiserif (2013, slab serif derived from Supra), Dylan (geometric sans), Franklin Gothic Raw (2013, like Franklin Gothic but with raw, not rough, outlines, only visible at very large sizes), Blitz (2012, a flared family), Blitz Condensed (2012), Contra Sans (2011, which led to Contra Slab, Contra Condensed and Contra Flare), Vedo (2011, a Bauhaus style family that include a hairline weight), Germania (2011, a useful and beautiful monoline sans family), Geometa (2011, +Rounded, +Rounded Deco, +Deco: all based initially on Renner's Futura), Geometra Rounded (2011, a rounded family based on Futura and "much less boring than DIN"), Bombelli (2010, ultra-wide architect's hand), Bluenote Demi (2010, a grungy Franklin Gothic Condensed), Perfect Sketch (2010, sketched grotesque), Unita (2009), Antea (2009), Eterna (2009, sans with a swing), Pura (2008, an uncomplicated grotesk family), Purissima (2010, a decorated extension of Pura; +Bold), Copperplate Gothic Hand (2009, after a 1901 design by Goudy), Copperplate Alt (2011), Copperplate Wide (2011), FranklinGothicHandDemi (+Shadow), Franklin GothicHandCond (2009), Franklin Gothic Condensed Shadow Hand (2010), and Franklin Gothic Hand Light (2009, a hand-drawn version of Franklin Gothic), Papas (2005, sturdy, slightly curly), Julienne (2005, a condensed sans family), Cassandra (1996, an art deco style after Adolphe Mouron Cassandre), Cassandra Plus (2012), Ela Sans (2005, a large family), Mondial-Bold (2004), Mondial-Demi, Mondial-Light, Mondial-Medium, Mondial-Normal, Mondial-XBold, Monem-Bold, Monem-Medium, Monem-Normal, Monem-Roman.
- Serif: Imperia (2011, a Trajan column caps face), Monogramma (2012, a Trajan family for monograms), Imperium (2005, a precursor of Imperia with a Relief shadow style included), Hard Times (2011), Fat Times (2011, retraced Times), Elegia (2011, slightly Victorian family), Breathless (2010, a spiky family, inspired by nouvelle vague movie posters), Bodoni Classic 1, Bodoni Classic 2, Bodoni Classic 3, BodoniClassic-Condensed, BodoniClassic-Handdrawn, BodoniClassic-Swashes, BodoniClassic-Text, Bodoni Classic Deco, Bodoni Classic Swirls (2009), Bodoni Classic Pro (2011), Bodoni Classic Inline (2012), Bodoni Classic Fleurs (2014, ornamental caps), Bodoni Comedia (2010, one of my favorites: a funny "live one day at a time" curly Bodoni cocktail), Bodoni Classic Swing (2010), Bodoni Classic Free Style (2010, curly), Bodoni Classic Ultra (2010), La Bodoni Plain (+Italic, 2008), Take Five (2005, a jazzy take on Bodoni Classic), DonnaBodoniAa, DonnaBodoniBe, and DonnaBodoniCe (three scripts named after Bodoni's wife, Margharita dell'Aglio, who published his complete works, the Manuale Tipografico, in 1818, five years after his death), Edito, Robusta. A great series, some of which were originally published at Fontshop, see, e.g., FFBodoniClassic (1994). MyFonts: When the first of Wiescher’s Bodoni Classic fonts came out in the 1993, there was nothing like it. Up to then, virtually all Bodoni revivals had been given clear-cut forms and square serifs. But Bodoni’s originals from the late 1800s were never as straight and simplistic as is often assumed: they had rounded serifs and slightly concave feet. Wiescher digitized a wide range of Bodoni letterforms, including a wonderful script-like family called Chancery and a nice series of Initials. Having accomplished his mission twelve years later, he began making personal additions to the family, such as the more decorative Bodoni Classic Swashes. Recently a useful little family was added to the clan: LaBodoni is sturdier and less optically delicate than most Bodonis, and therefore more usable as a text face. Wiescher made Metra Serif (2009), Principe (2008) and Paillas (2009). Prince (2009) is a curlified didone.
- Romain du roi: In 2008, Wiescher designed the two-style Royal Romain, which is based on the Romain du Roi of Philippe Grandjean, which was completed in 1745 after Grandjean's death by Grandjean's successor Jean Alexandre and Louis Luce. Wiescher: The Romain du Roi was for the exclusive use of the Louis XIV. It was never sold or given to any other king or government. The king of Sweden tried to scrounge a set, but the king refused. This font is the basic design for such famous fonts as the Fournier and Bodoni. Just so the Romain du Roi doesn't get lost in the digital turmoil I set out to redesign it in 2004 and finished now in early 2008. I did a lot of research in France's National Library. A good excuse to visit Paris is always welcome!!!
- Engravers: iDylan Copperplate (2014), Cavaliere (2010), Guilloche A (2009), Guilloche B (2013, op-art borders), CopperplateClassic-Plain, CopperplateClassic-Round, CopperplateClassic-Sans, Copperplate Classic Light Floral (2009), Cimiez-Bold, Cimiez-Roman (2004), Ela-Demiserif, Ela-Sans (2004), Eleganza (2008).
- Blackletter/Fraktur: Renais (2011, renaissance initials), Flipflop (2011), Fraktura and Fraktura Plus (2008), Royal Bavarian (2004, based on a typeface commissioned by King Ludwig 1st of Bavaria about 1834), Royal Blossom (2009), Royal Bavarian Fancy (2004), Bold Bavarian (2010, a heavy version of Royal Bavarian), Monkeytails (2008), Fat Fritz (2006, rounded endings), Ayres Royal (2005, blackletter typeface based on drawings of London's calligrapher John Ayres, ca. 1700; to be used with RoyalBavarian; followed in 2010 by BoldAyres).
- Slab serif: Egyptia (2010), Egyptia Rounded (2010).
- Typewriter: Lettera (2014), Lectra (2011), QuickType-Bold, QuickType-Plain, QuickType-Sans.
- Decorative: Frank Woods (2013, letterpress simulation based on Franklin Gothic Heavy), Ohio Bold (2012, a rough headline type in the tradition of Louis Oppenheim's Lo-Type from 1913), Viking Initials (2012), Cannonball (2012, a psychedelic typeface derived from a jazz record-sleeve for Cannonball Adderley), Byblos (2011, derived from the logo of St. Tropez's famous Hotel Byblos), Blockprint (2013, early 1900 German expressionist grunge face, renamed Bannertype after 24 hours), Ferrus (2010, inspired by Cassandre's Acier Noir, 1936), Petite Fleur (2009, flowery embellishments and the capitals of his redesigned Royal Romain, which in turn is based on the famous romain du roi), Glass Light (2012, a decoirative art nouveau type family based on Glass Light by Franz Paul Glass, 1912), Penstroxx (2009, 5 fonts that are based on the powerful, expressive Traits de plume (penstrokes) designed in Paris around 1930 by Alfred Latour), Liquoia A, B and C (2008, decorative scripts), Modernista (2008, an art nouveau headline face, based on an 1898 sample by Peter Schnorr), Ornata A, B, C, D, E, F and G (2008-2009: ornaments), Fleuraloha (2008), Floralissimo (2008: flowery ornaments), Frank Flowers (2011), Scrolls A (2010, penman's dingbats), Bacterio (2007), Alpha Bravo, Alpha Charlie, Alpha Echo (2006), Barracuda, Cacao (2005, fifties style), Cassandre Initials (2004, Elsner&Flake, after the 1927 original by Adolphe Mouron Cassandre), Contype, Fleurie (2005), Fleurons Two (2006), Fleurons Three (2006), Fleurons Four (2006), Fleurons Initials (2007), Fleurons Six (2008), Fleuron Labels (2008), HebrewLatino, Julius, Lunix (2006), MyHands, NewYorkerType (1985; extended in 2011 to NewYorker Plus; after Rea Irvin's well-known typeface for The NewYorker), Venice Initials (2006, after a 15th century find, but Wiescher added about half of the caps), Ventoux, Vivian (2005), Woody.
- Pixel and/or futuristic: Nexstar (2013: this octagonal typeface is also useful or athletic lettering), Alpha Fox (2007), Alpha Juliet (2010), Alpha Papa (2010), Alpha Square (2010), Alpha Jazz (2010), Alpha Papa (2010, LED meets stencil).
- Stencil faces: Dripps (2010, handpainted, perhaps brutalist), Red Tape Plus (2014).
- Comic book fonts or brush fonts: Caboom (2014).
- Dingbats: Wayside Ornaments (2012), XX Century Ornaments (2012), Thistle Borders (2012), Greenaway Mignonettes (2012, after Kate Greenaway (1846-1901), author and illustrator of childrens books), Collins Florets (2012), Flourishes A (2010), Jingle Doodles (2010).
- Commissioned and special typefaces include a version of the logotype for the Munich's newspaper Abendzeitung, a Cyrillic version of Bodoni Classic for Vogue Moscow, a special Bodoni Classic for Ringier Publishers in Zurich, and Red Tape, a typeface that is on permanent exhibition at the German National Library in Leipzig.
Author of many books, including Zeitschriften & Broschüren (Systhema-Verlag, München, 1990), Schriftdesign (Systhema-Verlag, München, 1991), and Blitzkurs Typografie (Systhema-Verlag, München, 1992).
The following text was excerpted from his wikipedia page: At 14 years of age, Wiescher went to Paris to study fine art. He financed his stay by doing portraits on the Place du Tertre on Montmartre. In the sixties Wiescher studied graphic design at the Berlin Academy of Fine Arts. (Since November 2001, Berlin University of the Arts.) He financed his studies by sidewalk painting and drawing portraits. While doing sidewalk paintings, he met the typeface designer Erik Spiekermann, who inspired his love of this branch of design. After two years he quit his studies, and went to Barcelona where he worked at the offices of Harnden & Bombelli, for whom he designed the OECD-Pavilion of the 1970 Osaka World Expo. In 1972 he moved on to Johannesburg working as an art director at Grey and Young advertising . In 1975, he returned to Germany, working first for DFS+R-Dorland, and then for the "Herrwerth & Partner" ad agency. At Herrworth, he was involved in introducing IKEA into the German market. In 1977 he became a creative partner in the Lauenstein & Partner ad agency, creating mainly campaigns for large German retail chains. In 1982 he started his own design office, creating work for editors (Markt & Technik, Systhema and Langen-Müller-Herbig), computer companies (House of Computers, FileNet) and he worked for Apple Computers designing their publications (Apple-Age and Apple-LIVE).
View Gert Wiescher's typefaces. Wikipedia link. [Google]
Portland, OR-based designer who created an untitled floriated caps typeface in 2014. Behance link. [Google]