| || |
Makers of the Tomb Raider movie fonts in 2000: TRHeavy, TRIcon (dingbats), TRNormal. [Google]
A critique of existing typefaces for HDTV (EIA-708) captioning
Joe Clark (Toronto) takes all the fonts proposed by Agfa/Monotype, Ascender and Bitstream for HDTV screen captioning apart. [Google]
Valencia, Spain-based creator of the Bauhaus-inspired monoline geometric rounded sans typeface Bowhouse (2013, free), the retro futuristic typeface AC Brodie (2013, free), the free art deco typeface AC Mountain (2013), the 3d typeface AC Framed (2013), the film strip typeface AC Filmstrip (2013, free), Comic Runes (2013, rune simulation), Scribbled (2013), and the hexagonal typeface Bee Type (2013, +Filled, +outline).
Newsense (2013) is an art deco typeface that extends Milton Glaser's Film Sense (1968).
Romaji Mincho (2013) is a free Asian simulation font based on the style of the Mincho typeface. Rhyder (2013) is a great (free) geometric 1930s style sans typeface. Martell (2013) is a free general purpose slab serif family.
AC Big Serif (2013) is a free rounded wedge serif typeface. AC Thermes (2013) is a sans display typeface.
Typefaces from 2014: AC Wanita (hand-drawn).
Dafont link. Fontspace link. [Google]
FontStructor who made these typefaces in 2012: Disconnected, Film (film strip pixel face), Pixels, Slim, Zigzagish. [Google]
Agustín Luis Bou
Giza, Egypt-based designer of the typographic poster Scream (2013) for the movie by the same name. [Google]
Student at the Rhode Island School of Design, class of 2013. New York City-based creator of Luc (2013), a geometric sans serif typeface inspired by Jean-Luc Godard's film titles.
Behance link. [Google]
Quito, Ecuador-based designer, b. 1989, of Golf Tools (2012), a golf-themed display typeface. Movie Soundtrack (2012) is a film strip-themed font. [Google]
Patagonian illustrator (mostly for children) and designer in Puerto Madryn, Argentina. Creator of the free cinematic font AD Nautilus (2013). On his web page, we find various poster lettering typefaces such as Pupitre Type (2013).
In 2014, he created the fantastic black brush poster font AD Bulky Note, the angular poster typeface AD Polaquita, Roberto Underground, Pasquin, and the fun (free) poster typeface AD Sura (a tribute to Czech graphic artist Jaroslav Sura).
Blogspot link. Dafont link. Behance link. [Google]
Designer in Brooklyn, NY, who made some unnamed hand-drawn typefaces in 2012 during his studies at Pratt (class of 2015). [Google]
Paolo Vannucci (Alphabet&Type, b. 1969, Punta Marina Terme) created the curly handwritten Halloween typefaces Afterlife, Evernight (2009) and Evernight Stargazer (2009).
He also has an interest in Startrekkery because he designed the typefaces Transformers Movie (2009) and Star Trek Future (2009). All these typefaces are free at Dafont and/or Fontspace. Alternate URL.
In 2010, he did the free brush typeface Fronte del Porto, which is based on the Elia Kazan movie with Marlon Brando entitled On The Waterfront.
There is also a commercial side of Alphabet&Type: In 2010, they published the angular family Antares, the bold organic typeface Minardi (+Collage), and the curly family Vannucci Antico. Metropolis (2010) is an angular typeface based on the titling of Fritz Lang's movie Capolavoro. Sabrina (2010) is taken directly from the Best movie by Billy Wilder, with Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart. An American in Paris (2010, or: UnAmericanoAParigi) is based on the font used in the movie by Vincente Minnelly, with Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron.
Cleopatra (2011) is a chisel font with a Greek look, based on Cleopatra, the movie by Joseph L. Mankiewkz, starring Liz Taylor and Richard Burton. Il Grinta (2011) is the wedge serif titling font of True Grit, Henry Hathaway's movie starring John Wayne. The beautiful inline typeface Singapore (2011) after the titling in John Brahm's movie featuring Ava Gardner. Strade di Fuoco (2011) is based on the movie Streets of Fire by Walter Hill, with Diane Lane. Flash Gordon (2011) is based on the famous movie by Mike Hodges, starring Max Von Sydow. Amazing Spider Man (2011) is based on the Spiderman movie by Marc Web which featured Andrew Garfield. Captain America (2011) is based on the movie by Joe Johnston, with Chris Evans. Twilight New Moon (2009) is based on the Twilight movie. Electric Dreams (2011) is based on steve Barron's movie.
Tintin (2011) is a comic book typeface based on Steven Spielberg's 2011 movie. Fantastic Four (2011) is a StarTrek style family that is based on the Tim Story movie. Faelorehn (2011) is a vampire script.
Creations from 2012: Sherlock Holmes, Watson (based on Guy Ritchie's movie), Lucky Luke (after the successful Western comic book series by Morris and Goscinny), Danger Diabolik, Ghost Rider (based on the movie by Mark Steven Johnson, starring Nicolas Cage), Notorious (a brush font based on Notorious, a movie by Hitchcock starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman), Cullen, Flower Header, Dorian Gray (from the movie by Oliver Parker starring Ben Barnes), Snow White (from Rupert Sanders's movie Snow White and The Huntsman).
Typefaces made in 2013: Beastly (based on the David Barnz movie featuring Vanessa Hudgens), Top Gun (an octagonal typeface based on the movie with Tom Cruise), Manhattan (from Woody Allen's movie), Assassin (based on a Ubisoft video game).
Typefaces from 2014: Dylan Dog (based on Kevin Munroe's movie starring Brandon Routh). [Google]
Roberto Baldassari shows and discusses the fonts used in Space: 1999, from Data 70, to Futura Black, Futura Medium and Eurostile Bold Extended to Countdown. [Google]
Ananda Kumar Maharjan
Kathmandu-based designer of a Nepali Devanagari font families called Ananda Kalpana (2012), Adhunik (2012), NepSerif Nepali Devanagari (2012), Ananda Lamcho (2012), Ananda Akchyar (2011), Gaijatra (2011), Ananda Ashlesha (2011), Ananda 1 Hv (2003), Ananda Kinara (2011), Ananda NepTouch (2011, free Latin face), Neptouch2 (2011), Ananda Namaste (2011, Indic simulation face), and Ananda Sansar (2011).
In 2013, he made the free modular Latin typeface Bauchaomaicha (FontStruct) and the Indic simulation typeface Pasarocks.
In 2014, at FontStruct, he created the Devanagari typefaces Ananda Thopla (dot matrix) and Ananada Devanagari Round.
In 2015, he published the free monoline Devanagari font Ananda Ukaliorali, and theanskri-inspired Latin typeface Ananda Neptouch Caps, Devanagari font Ananda Chautari.
Typefaces from 2016: Ananda Fanko (a brush Devanagari typeface specially made for trhe Nepali movie Fanko).
Behance link. Klingspor link. Hellofont link. Blogspot link. Devian tart link. Catalog. Another Hellofont link. [Google]
Lisbon, Portugal-based designer of Nova Classica (2015, +Condensed), an all caps vintage movie title and movie credit font family. Behance link. [Google]
[Andrew Galarza Foundry (was: Chance Type Co, and Krayon Ink, and before that, Jedi Serpent Fonts)]
Andrew Galarza Foundry (was: Chance Type Co, and Krayon Ink, and before that, Jedi Serpent Fonts)
Chance Type Co evolved out of Krayon Ink (ex- Jedi Serpent). It has commercial fonts by American designer Andrew Galarza who lives in Miami, who started making type in 2001. These used to be shareware when the place was called Jedi Serpent Fonts.
Galarza's early typefaces: Jeannette (2002), Display Swash, KY and an Urge, 65 Swash, Melfina, Redheads in Transit (beautiful handwriting), Butterfly Collection (dingbats), 5 Am Summer, Transit One, Superchalmers, Like Wind in The Summer, Delithium, Fane Serane, 5am Andrew (2005, handwriting), 5am Chance No 01, 5am Transit (handwriting), 5am Gender, Grey (2005), Melfina (2002, inspired by Emigre's Council), 5 AM Chance No. 1 (which used to be called Vespers), Vespers (2001, based on lettering for a Bjork album), NewTimesRomanHyper and CourierStrange (reworked Monotype fonts: the latter one has letters in brackets), 90Days, Blistel, Cancer, Freeware, Futura, Lode, Love-Quickie, Image Times, Stylus (modified Monotype font), Jenice, Element, Prozac Child, Codeca, Ginger, Ginger2, Boredom, Awitched, Mastillo, Mastillo2, PaperChase2blockedinside (reworked BadFilms by Ray Larabie), Screwupsuprock, Arialbullets39mmwideclear and Arialbullets4VerbRicochet (reworked Monotype Arial-Plain: letters in and on balls), Dots, VanishingBoy (modified Ray Larabie font; the best in the series I think), 1979 (fantastic avant-garde font), Agent 508 (equally great display font), Aloin, Bionic, Backspace, ChemicalTest, Click, Codeca, Dragon, Eggman, Feelings, Flowery Text, Gallows, Gigayoda, Impression, Lavero, Lorent Roman, LoveJoy, Melody Metrics, Never, Noose, Numbers (hacker font), Opagan, Opus-sc, Panama, Poison Pill, Potheads, Rainy, RoamJapan, Room, Butterfly, Thinker, Veronica, Western Flick, Reterik, MisbehaviorTake23, Thinker, Paperchase2blockedinside, Children's Television Workshop (letters based on the Sesame Street TV show, 2002), KY and Urge, 65 Swash, Redheads in Transit, and I Love My Momma.
On my last visit, there were just a few shareware fonts left (in OpenType format): 5AMButtercup, 5AMButterflyCollection, 5AMDelithium, 5AMLikeWindInTheSummer, 5AMSuperchalmersItalic, 5AMSuperchalmers.
MyFonts sells some of his fonts: 5 AM Buttercup (Andrew Galarza), Grey (Andrew Galarza), 5 AM Gender (Andrew Galarza), 5 AM Chance No 01 (Andrew Galarza), 5 AM Andrew (Andrew Galarza), 5 AM Transit (Andrew Galarza), 5 AM Summer (Andrew Galarza), Melfina (Andrew Galarza), Childrens Television Workshop (Andrew Galarza), Vespers (Andrew Galarza).
Jedi Serpent evolved into 510 ink and then Krayon Ink. In 2005, Krayon Ink was renamed Chance Type Co. Home page. Old MyFonts link. [Google]
Freelance designer in Mendoza, Argentina. In 2015, inspired by Pedro Almodovar's movies, she made the paper-cut or dada typeface Almodovar. [Google]
Designer in 2008 at FontStruct of the experimental typefaces Gearbox, Gotha (octagonal), Nippon Garden, Labyrinth, Nano (pixel), Machine Script, Plank stencil, Ballistix, San Andreas (recreation of the Grand Theft Auto font), Machina (a macho octagonal heavy face), Electro, Hiro (oriental look), Japanica (oriental look, based on Hiroshi), Mage, Silkscreen Alt (pixel, a modification of Jason Kottke's Silkscreen). [Google]
[Bumbayo Font Fabrik]
Indonesian studio and digital type foundry. Creators of the fanatasy movie font Neverland (2015) in the style of the lettering used in Alice In Wonderland, Wizard Of OZ or Narnia. [Google]
Bajo La Luna Producciones
[Luis Huacuja García]
Graphic designer (b. 1987). Creator of Narnia BLL (2006, after the Narnia Chronicles), SL Panzer Kardinal (2005), named after Pope Joseph Ratzinger, whose nickname after WW II was the "tank cardinal". He also made SL Drops of Moonlight (2005), SL Runaway Girl (2005), a cute handwriting face, Backslash (2005), Crawl (2005), Brawl (2005, futuristic), Dreaming of Lilian (2005), Emophonic (2005, futuristic), and SL Thank You For The Venom (2005).
Alternate URL (not operational right now). Dafont link. And another URL. Fontspace link. [Google]
Temecula, CA-based designer of the hand-crafted typeface Fargo (2016), which is based on the Coen Brothers classic Fargo. [Google]
UK-based comic artist, b. 1985. Home page. Designer of GB Nametag (2006), based on the lettering of the Ghostbuster nametags. Ben King also made Ghostbusters Nametag (2006). [Google]
Bernd Volmer is a graphic and type designer from Germany. Before attending type and media, he graduated with a BA in 2011 from the ArtEZ in Arnhem. During this time he also did an internship at Atelier Carvalho Bernau and developed his knowledge and interest in type design and typography. After graduation he started as a freelancer.
In 2013, he graduated from the Type & Media program at KABK, Den Haag. His graduation typeface, Curtis, is based on broad nib calligraphy, and manages in its palette of styles to cover the broad ground between powerful German expressionist display types and very readable text types. In my view, it is the best of the twelve typefaces of the graduation class.
In 2010, Bernd Volmer and Ateleir Carvalho Bernau published the free typeface Jean-Luc, which is named after Jean-Luc Godard. Carvalho / Bernau write: We didn't find out who originally made the lettering for these two movies. Some speculate it could have been Godard himself---Godard's interest in graphic design and typography is clear, with many of his other films employing such strong typography-only titles and intertitles. They are almost a self-sufficient entity, another character in the movie, another comment. This style of lettering is so interesting to us because it is such a clear renunciation of the pretty, classical title screens that were common in that time more conservative films. It has a more vernacular and brutishly low-brow character; this lettering comes from the street. We can not prove this at all, but we think it may be derived from the stencil letters of the Plaque Découpée Universelle (or PDU), a lettering device invented in the 1870s by a certain Joseph A. David, and first seen in France at the 1878 Exposition Universelle, where it found broad appeal and rapid adoption. We think this style of lettering was absorbed into the public domain vernacular of French lettering, and that the 2 ou 3 choses titles are derived from these quotidien lettering style, as it would seem to fit Godard's obsession with vernacular typography. [Google]
Graphic designer in Paris. In 2015, Perrine Winkler and Bernie Diril codesigned Brigitte, Karina and Pierrot, three typefaces based on the credits of Jean-Luc Godard's movies. The fonts are named after Brigitte Bardot, Anna Karina and Jean-Paul Belmondo (Pierrot Le Fou). [Google]
Fonts related to Björk or her albums include Björk (1998, Startrek style), BjörkHandwriting (1997, made by Sandro Cerri), Rotis Semi Sans (1990), Pagan Poetry (2001, Paul Barnes under exclusive license to Show Studio). [Google]
Designers of Beverly Hills Cop (2001), The GodFather (2001), Fiddums Family Font (2001). Fiddums is also here. [Google]
[Agustín Luis Bou]
Hailing from Rosario, Argentina, this designer (b. 1992) created the free athletic lettering typefaces Bou Collegiate (2008) and Bou College (2008), the hand-printed Bou Handwriting (2009) and Handform (2009), the dot matrix typeface Score Board (2009), Squarefont (2011), Movie Letters (2011), and BOU Western (2011). [Google]
Bumbayo Font Fabrik
Hungarian foundry with commercial and free fonts, est. 2005 by Attila Zigó. On Deviantart, they claim to be from Rwanda. They specialize in grunge type--some of the fonts are quite gorgeous indeed. Has a fontmaking service.
- Free typefaces: Night Cola (2016), Slawterhouse Swinggang (2016), Drugstore Waltz (2016), Lost Lubbock Motels (2016, uber-grungy lettering), Amsterdrum Grotesk (2016), Bad Suabia Swing (2015, grunge), Zubajda (2014, grungy), Dioszeghiensis (2014, grungy blackletter), Mahrpedig Sans, Kinizsi Frakturetta (2012, blackletter), Ed Gein Gwilty and Ed Gein Ynnocent (2008), Miguel Sangotisch (2010, blackletter), Kopanyica Strasse (2010, grunge), Third Man (2010, grunge), Pahuenga Cass (2010, grunge), McKoy (2010, grunge), Eordeoghlakat (2010, grunge mechanical face), Santa Gravita (2010, grunge), Fibyngerowa (2010, grunge), Pahuenga Cass (2009, grunge), Liszthius-Alkimista (2008, a lovely 3d-look grunge face), Rueckwarzsalto (2008, grunge), Szorakatenusz (2008), Grymmoire (2008, grungy blackletter), Hrawolam (2008, children's hand), Certto Headline (2008, 3d outline grunge), Kopanyica Strasse (2008), Pokoljaro (2008, medieval look, rough outlines), Fibyngerowa (2008, splatter grunge), Conrad Veidt (2007), Baron Kuffner (2007, grunge inspired by B-movie posters), Karloff (2007), Deutschische (2006, blackletter), Egyptientto2 (2005, slab serif), Bumbayo (2006), Gepetto (2005), Gipsiero (2006, grunge), Lugosi (2005), Matejino (2005), Matejo (2005), McKoy (2005), Tuce (2005), 3rd Man (2007, grunge), Kyselak (2007), Latabár (2007, grunge).
- Commercial: Der Erlkoenig (2007), Otranto (2007), Schkorycza (2006), Dajcsise (2005), Engelfeuer (2005), Gomulka (2005), Haniltom Gothic (2005), Perfuct (2005, a great irregular printed typeface), Osiris Records (2007, grunge), Thelema (2007, medieval hand).
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Devian Tart link. [Google]
Brighton, UK-based creator of the copperplate caps typefaces Laudanum (2012, available from Ten Dollar Fonts) and Fuck Powerpoint (2012).
Tenebrae (2013) is a spooky spurred display typeface. Tenebrae is inspired by the Giallo films of the 70s and other cult cinema film posters. It can be bought at Ten Dollar Fonts.
Behance link. [Google]
Carolina Parra Sanchez
During her studies at Universidad de los Andes in Bogota, Colombia, Carolina Parra Sanchez designed the hand-crafted typefaces Miroir Brisé (2015) and Orfeo (2015), both based on the famous movie by Jean Cocteau. [Google]
American art student (b. 1983) who lives in Tampa, FL. Creator of Lion King Dings (2006). Direct download. Its characters are discussed here. [Google]
Typefaces that were used in movie credits of Charlie Chaplin movies. [Google]
[The Movie Title Stills Collection]
Montreal-based graphic designer. His work includes a typeface, Plateaux (2009, a hairline architectural drawing face)---clean as a whistle, it seems to have been used in some movie titles. [Google]
Swedish designer who made 35mm (2011, a movie strip font), Aviator (2011, techno), Bad Analogy (2011) and Well Mister (2011, octagonal). Behance link. [Google]
Joe Clark about a storefront sign in Cinderella Man, a 2005 movie set in New York in the 1920s: Why why, thats [ITC] Benguiat, circa 1978. [Google]
2300+ Film Title Captures in PDF format. [Google]
Italian designer (b. 1984) of Hobbit Script (2005), based on a font used in the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. [Google]
Claude (Chloe) Derieppe
[Ouvrez!!! Police!!! (Claude (Chloe) Derieppe)]
Parisian design student at ESAG Penninghen (where he is taking courses from, e.g., Muriel Paris) who made a custom typeface for the Housse de Racket band in 2012. Dinosaur (2012) can be bought at Ten Dollar Fonts. He also designed the thin display family Muerte (2012), the alchemic typeface Pharaon (2012, inspired by the Spielberg movie Indiana Jones : Raiders of the Lost Ark), the display typeface Tennis (2012), the volcano-shape-inspired Volcano (2012), and the wavy Sailor (2012).
In 2013, he amde the alhemic typeface Black. Hellofont link, where his fonts can be bought. [Google]
Constantin Groß (aka Connum) (b. Karlsruhe, Germany, 1987), who lives in Karlsruhe, designed the handwriting typefaces TSS Scrubs Logo (2006) and TSS Scrubs (2006). Alternate URL. [Google]
Corien Bennink (Corien's Handwritingfonts) is a Dutch portrait photographer and pencil artist, b. 1980. She lives in Diever. Corien has been making custom handwriting fonts since 2005.
Creator of the comic book / chalk board font Whiteboard (2007). She is the designer of Heroes Font (2006, hand-printed, made based on screenshots of the Heroes TV series; see also here) and House Whiteboard Font (2006). Commercial fonts include Spidery Elegance (2008), Dausby (2012, based on a secretary's hand from the 1850s), Ashby (2015, a Spencerian script), and Concinnitas (2015, a neat upright hand-crafted typeface).
She also offers a commercial handwriting font service (40 USD), and has some free handwriting demo fonts from 2005 and 2006: Angela, Bob-H., Escribiente, Heroes-font, Kendall-j, Krusoe, Nongtung, R.-Bruce, Whiteboard, richie.
Alternate URL. Yet another URL. [Google]
Cristián graduated from Universidad Tecnológica Metropolitana de Santiago de Chile in 2007. For the type design course there, he created the ultra condensed fat display typeface Mafiosa, which was based on the logotype of the film El Padrino (The Godfather). [Google]
London, UK-based illustrator (b. 1985). Blog on design. Creator of True Love's Kiss (2008), after the official logo of the Disney movie Enchanted. [Google]
Dahra Mia Kirchert
Graphic designer and illustrator in Aarhus, Denmark, who created the rough hand-crafted typeface Into The Wild (2015), which was inspired by the movie. [Google]
Dan M. Zadorozny
Designer, b. 1992, of the titling typeface Jupiter Ascending (2015). [Google]
Daniel Barcelles III
Corona, CA-based designer of the custom font Ichii (2014), which was inspired by the Japanese splatter film Ichi the Killer. The letters are made up of many chopped up body parts. [Google]
Boston-based designer of a nice imaginary Lord of the Flies movie poster (2011). [Google]
Daniel Patrick Simmons
Sacramento, California-based designer of Vertigo (2014), a hobbly sans typeface that was inspired by Hitchcock's movie. Vertigo and a few hand-drawn fonts can be bought at Simmons's site. He also designed the hand-drawn poster typeface Strongman (2014). Behance link. [Google]
Daniel Reeve is a freelance artist, cartographer, calligrapher and type designer from Titahi Bay, near Wellington, New Zealand. His hand-crafted fonts allow users to emulate the calligraphic styles for which he has built up a reputation in the film world. For example, he did the lettering and maps in The Lord of the Rings films. He is creating hand-crafted fonts of some of his writing styles, starting with the uncial typeface Kereru (2011). Foundry link. [Google]
Graphic designer in Sierre and Lausanne (Switzerland). During his studies at ECAL (Lausanne), he made a cinematographic signage typeface called Geraldine (2011, named after Geraldine Page). Baskervilaine (2013) is a tweaked version of Baskerville. Severine (2013) is an ornamental caps typeface. Le Moche (2012) is a grotesk typeface. Sugarnir (2013) is a rune font.
In 2014, he designed the sans typeface Fryda (free beta version).
Behance link. [Google]
Graphic designer in Los Angeles, where he ran/runs Beautiful Bastards. Subsequently, he is associated with Questus Inc and Big Country Labs, and is now located in Costa Mesa, CA and Tustin, CA.
His early typefaces: Mushman (2012) is a techno-sans typeface inspired by the adventurous spirit of actor Steve McQueen, who raced motorcycles under the false name "Harvey Mushman."
His second typeface, Bronson (2012, free if you ask), is a display type inspired by Danny "Tunnel King" Lewinski, Charles Bronson's character in The Great Escape.
In 2013, he created the elegant (free) futuristic typeface Astroman.
In 2014, Darren designed the free hipster typeface Skandi, which was inspired by Nordic runes. [Google]
David A. Occhino
[David Occhino Design (was: Treehouse Graphic Design)]
David Fleming Nalle
[Scriptorium (Ragnarok Press, Fontcraft)]
[The Price is Right Font Archive]
[David Pustansky (was: 24hourbauer.co.uk)]
David Occhino Design (was: Treehouse Graphic Design)
[David A. Occhino]
Treehouse Graphic Design was David Occhino's font outlet. It is now called David Occhino Design. The Treehouse collection specialized in Startrek, futuristic, Disney and Indiana Jones style fonts, but has widened lately. Most fonts are commercial, but there are a few free ones:
- Exclusive Designs: Tangaroa (2009, tiki font), TradeWind, Nautilus, Graviton, Voyager, Cinema, Firefly, Forest, Emblem.
- Signage typefaces: Craftsmen (2010), Craftsmen Ornaments (2010).
- Movie Fonts: Safari (1996, based on the famous Indiana Jones movie logo created by Mike Salisbury and David Willardson; version 2 in 2011), Venture, Astro, Galax-E, Time Travel, Iron Hero, Knight, Blade, Aeronaut (1997, avant-garde).
- Art Deco Fonts: Aeronaut (1997; Aeronaut 2.0 in 2011), Cinema, Pan-Pacific (2010: based on the classic 1940s lettering style that was used for the signage for the famous Pan-Pacific Auditorium).
- Theme Park Fonts: Kingdom (1996, blackletter), Mansion, Encounter, World.
- Sci-Fi Fonts: Astro SE, Basestar, Blade, Encounter, Galax-E, Graviton, Nautilus, Time Travel, Voyager.
- Halloween Fonts: Hocus Pocus, Nautilus, Mansion 3.0 (1996-2009), MansionCryptBats (2009, free).
- Education Fonts: School.
- Free Fonts: Aurebesh, Forbidden Eye, Tangaroa Glyphs (Hawaiian petroglyphs, 2009), World Symbols, Big Thunder Dingbats (2009: Western dingbats).
- Western fonts: Big Thunder (2009).
- Fonts I can no longer find: Aurebesh, DNealianArrows, DNealianGuides, DNealianRegular, Starspeeder, StarspeederUpright, Pyramid's Venture, Victorian Mansion.
Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
David Pustansky (was: 24hourbauer.co.uk)
David Pustansky (b. 1985) is a UK-based type designer who was active in 2005-2006, when he operated as David Martin and his web site was called 24hourbauer.co.uk. He published many free fonts, but then became inactive ca. 2007. In 2014, he resurrected as David Pustansky.
Creator of the picture-derived typefaces Eye Spy (2006), Batman The Dark Knight (2006, scanbats), Simpsons Mmmm...Font (2006), Pokemon Pixels (2006), Silent Hill Nightmares (2006), Mario and Luigi (2006), Final Fantasy Elements (2006), Lara Croft Tombraider (2006), Superman Last Son of Krypton (2005), The Ultimate Lance Hoyt font (2005), Harry Potter and the Dingbats (2005), TNA Bound for Glory (2005), tna wrestling (2005), Doctor Who 2006 (2005), Futurama Dingbats (2005), Red Dwarf Characters (2005), Evil Characters (2005), and 24hourbauer (2005, scanbats), Simpsons Treehouse of Horror (2007), Split Splat Splodge (2006, ink slpatter), Splish Splash Splosh (commercial), TNA Lockdown (2007), Splis (2007), Donkey Kong World (2006), SonicMegaFont (2006), Doodlebears (2006), Tetris Blocks (2006), twentyfour, WWE, residentevilcharacters, wrestlinglogos.
In 2014, he created Garfield Hates Mondays Loves Fonts (scanbats), the retro typeface Shakespeare First Folio (after the lettering in the 1623 collection of Shakespeare's plays), Brush Stroke of Genius, Wilson (after the baseball in the movie), Eye Am Confused Optical Illusions, Game Logos, Retro Hasbro WWF Figures, Doom and Gloom, Nato Phonetic Alphabet, Shakespeare To Be Or Not To Be (ornamental caps), Super Street Fighter Hyper Fonting (scanbats)m), An Apple A Day Fruit Font, Secret Diary (hand-printed), Balls Balls and more Balls (scanbats), Legend of Zelda TriFont (scanbats), Crushed Candy (scanbats), A Work of Art (scanbats), Console Wars Console Yourself, Futurama All Hail the Hypnotoad, Family Guy Giggity (cartoon character font), and American Dad Good Morning USA (cartoon dingbats).
Abstract Fonts link. Home page of David Pustansky. Fontspace link. [Google]
The official Deadlands fonts are Durango (Western font) and SnowWrite (1994, handwriting typeface by ImageLine). [Google]
[Game Font Database]
Delírios de um cinemaníaco
Delírios de um cinemaníaco is the title of a 1957 movie that tells the story of painter and cineast José de Oliveira from Sao Carlos, b. 1930. Samuel Leal (Arvore Amarela Design, Rio de Janeiro) digitized the font used in that film and called it Jose de Oliveira (2013).
Dafont link. [Google]
Calling himself a design tourist, German designer Henning Brehm makes fonts for films. His company in Berlin is also called Design Tourist. Agitka (2010, 8 styles) contains Latin and Cyrillic characters, in a constructivist theme, and has a Neon sub-style that was used in the film Bourne Ultimatum. This family can be bought at Gestalten. In 2010, he published Kraut, a round outline face, and Koffer (a screen font family).
Pandorum (2012, a spaceship typeface, by Henning Brehm and Alejandro Lecuna) was especially designed for film sets in the science fiction movie Pandorum starring Ben Foster, Antje Traue and Denis Quaid.
At Vette Letters, Henning Brehm created the squarish oriental simulation typeface VLNL Kimchi: The Kimchi font had its starting point in the making of the film Cloud Atlas, based on the novel by David Mitchell and directed by Lana & Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer. A first version of Kimchi was created for Papa Song---an underground fast food restaurant in a futuristic Neo Seoul in the year 2144. It was used for the menus, advertisement and packaging.
Klingspor link. [Google]
Original display fonts by Orlando-based ex-Montrealer and ex-McGiller Stephen Tune: Men In Blue (1998), IronCladBolted (1997), IronClad (1997), Odishi (oriental simulation) (1997), Fantique Four (1997), Seafaring (1997), Spawned (1997) and Draft Gothic (1997). Type based on the logos of popular comic books and movies. Free demo samples only. Dead link. The web site closed its doors in 2003.
Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
TV and movie font archive. [Google]
Designer of the free sports logo or children's scanbat typefaces LFP (2014), NCAA The Americans (2014), NHL East (2014), MLS East (2014), NHL West (2014), MLS West (2014), MLB NL (2014), NFC (2014), Disney Family 1 (2014), NBA West (2014), NFL AFC (2014), MLB AL (2014), NBA East (2014), NCAA Big 10 (2014), Mosaic Sone (2014) and Black Hoops (2014). In 2014, he also made the dingbat fonts Shrek, Thanksgiving Day, Thanksgiving Turkey, MAC, C-USA, Christmas, New-year, Santa, Winter, Xmas-Gift, xmas-tree, Premier League, Calcio, SEC, Pac 12, NCAA ACC, Ligue 1, Disney Halloween, Halloween Logo, Autumn, Monster High, Bundes Liga, Big 12, Halloween Happy, Halloween, Finest, Pixar2, Pixar1, Shades of Grey [scanbats related to the movie 50 Shades of Grey], Princes and Summertime, and the dot matrix typefaces LED Bus and Black Ball.
Typefaces from 2015: Famous Car 1, Brasileirao, World Cup Logos, Ancient Weapons, Guns 2, Helmets, Cowboy, Horses 1, Fast Food Logos, Guns, Olimpic Icons 1, Winter Sport, Peppa Pig, Mickey Vintage, Proton Style, Sun Belt, MWC, King Lion, Social Manual.
Typefaces from 2016: Flags of Europe, Lucas Characters (scanbats). [Google]
[Duane Richard Haut II]
Maze maker fonts from 1999 by Duane Richard Haut II from Lewisport, KY. Puzzler scanbat fonts based on art work by Lee Seed and Ingrid Neilson. The list: Maze Maker Inverted Level 1F, Maze Maker Dungeon Level 1F, Maze Maker Solid Level 1F, Maze Maker, Puzzler1, Puzzler2, Puzzler3, Puzzler4, MM Caver Regular (FW), Maze Maker Cavern Level 1F, Maze Maker Caverns Level 2F, MM Cavern Solid (FW), MM Cavern Solid Inverted (FW), MM Dungeon Regular (FW), MM Dungeon Regular Inverted (FW), Maze Maker Dungeon Level 2F, MM Dungeon Solid (FW), MM Dungeon Solid Inverted (FW), Maze Maker Solid Level 2F.
He also made BlairCaps, after the Blair Witch Project movie. Fontspace link. Dafont link. [Google]
Disney Channel Nick City
Designer of Nickelodeon (2010, a fattish round typeface modeled after the Nickelodeon TV logo). [Google]
Archive with Disney-look fonts. Direct link. Included are Tristan, waltograph, Denmark, Atlantean (1999, The Walt Disney Company), FFVortex (1998, Max Kisman), Industria SolidA (1998, Adobe), Mesquite (1999, Adobe), Rubber Stamp LET (1996), Senator Tall (1990, Emigre), Spumoni (1990, Garrett Boge), and TwyliteZone-Book (Oliver Conte). [Google]
A list of fonts commissioned by Disney: Atlantean (movie Atlantis: The Lost Empire), Hunnypot (for Winnie the Pooh branding), Kem Weber (art deco typeface used on signage at Walt Disney Studios and theme parks), Mara (Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye), and World Bold (for use on Epcot signage and media).
Fonts licensed for Disney software include
- Disney Comic (rebranding of Snap) - various Disney Print Studio titles
- Disney Heroic - Hercules Print Studio
- Disney Print (rebranding of Apache) - various Disney Print Studio titles
- Disney Simple (aka Pooh) (rebranding of Fontoon) - various Disney Print Studio titles
- Donald - various Disney Print Studio titles
- Flik (rebranding of Zemke Hand) - A Bug's Life Print Studio, Incredibles Print Studio
- Flounder (rebranding of Clover) - Little Mermaid Print Studio, Incredibles Print Studio
- Hyena - Lion King Print Studio
- Jungle Fever - Lion King Print Studio
- Lucky (rebranding of Ad Lib) - 101 Dalmations Print Studio
- Mickey - various Disney Print Studio titles
- Mickey Shadow (rebranding of Bertram) - Incredibles Print Studio
- Minnie - various Disney Print Studio titles
- Mushu (rebranding of Arnova) - Mulan Print Studio, Incredibles Print Studio
- Perdy (spotted restyling of Sprocket Deluxe) - 101 Dalmations Print Studio
- Pongo (rebranding of Sprocket) - 101 Dalmations Print Studio
- Sebastian (rebranding of La Bamba) - Little Mermaid Print Studio, Incredibles Print Studio
- Tribal - Lion King Print Studio
- Wizzer (rebranding of Mister Earl) - 101 Dalmations Print Studio
Commercial fonts inspired by Disney designs include several fonts by David Occhino such as Aeronaut (The Rocketeer logotype), Big Thunder (Big Thunder Mountain Railroad logotype), Encounter (Alien Encounter signage), Galaxie (Wall E logotype), Mansion (Haunted Mansion signage---based on Rubens), and World (Epcot signage). Lettering Delights created LD Walt, LD Mick E). Jukebox Type designed Alpengeist (Matterhorn poster lettering), Baileywick (Mary Blair lettering/artwork; renamed from Blairesque), Fairytale (Sleeping Beauty poster lettering) and Peregroy (101 Dalmations). Parachute created PF Wonderland Pro (Alice in Wonderland 2010 logotype and titles). [Google]
Fonts used on the BBC's Doctor Who books and videos: AssiduousSmallCaps, Assiduous, DoctorWho2006, DellaRobbiaBT-Bold, DellaRobbiaBT-Roman, ExterminatePreview, ElementaryBold, EurostileRegular, FuturaBT-Medium, FuturaBT-ExtraBlack, PostAntiqua, ThetaSigmaRelease2, Westminster, Dr.-Who, EurostileBold, Haettenschweiler. [Google]
Duane Richard Haut II
EIA-708 and fonts
EIA-708 is the standard for closed captioning for ATSC digital television streams in the United States and Canada. It was developed by the Electronic Industries Alliance. EIA-708 supports eight font tags: undefined, monospaced serif, proportional serif, monospaced sans serif, proportional sans serif, casual, cursive, small capitals. [Google]
British type designer at Stephenson Blake, 1831 (Bury St. Edmunds)-1902 (London). Designer of these typefaces:
- Windsor at Stephenson Blake, cut by William Kirkwood in 1905. Digital versions now available at Bitstream (as Revival 801), Softmaker (as Verona Serial or W730 Roman), and URW. In 2009, Göran Söderström (Autodidakt) and Peter Bruhn (Fountain) published Trailering Heroine, which was inspired by Windsor. Question: How can Pechey have designed a font four years after passing away? I got the date 1906 from the Scangraphic site, but either that is wrong, or Myfonts.com erred--still researching this. A correspondent, Jennifer Lindsay, has a plausible explanation: Eleisha has to have designed Windsor somewhat earlier, Stephenson Blake may have bought the design, perhaps from his estate, and it was published by Monotype in 1903. Windsor Elongated used by Woody Allen appears to be an adaption by Stephenson Blake.
- Booklet Italic. Punches cut in 1904 by William Kirkwood. This typeface is used in the titles of many Woody Allen movies.
- Long Imperial Script. Punches cut in 1906 by Karl Gomer.
- Grotesque No 9 (1906).
- Charlemagne (1886, ornamental).
FontShop link. [Google]
Born in Barcelona in 1964. Graphic design teacher at Elisava in Barcelona since 1988. Director of the Master on Advanced Typography at the Eina school of art and design, in collaboration with the Autonomous University of Barcelona. He also teaches a Master's course on art direction and advertising at Ramon Llull University. Author of Twenty-two tips on typography (that some designers will never reveal) and twenty-two things you should never do with typefaces (that some typographers will never tell you) (Actar).
At type-o-tones in Barcelona, Enric Jardi created Neeskens (1991-2007), Retorica Buida (1995, blackboard bold), Retorica-Plena (1995), Deseada (1995, a blurred roman), Escher, Magothic, Mayayo (1991, great children's book display font in Inline, Holes and Black styles), Peter Sellers (2007), Poca (1995, pixelish), Radiorama (1995), Verdaguera (1995, a classical weathered typeface)), Wilma (1995-2007: a chromatic type system), Xiquets Forever (1995, dingbats).
Interview by MyFonts.
Klingspor link. Type-o-tones link. FontShop link. Type-o-tones link. [Google]
Austrian foundry located in Vienna, est. in 2008 by Marcus Sterz (b. 1971) and Andrej Waldegg. MyFonts link. Unless exlicitly mentioned, all typefaces are by Marcus Sterz. You Work For Them link.
- Adria Grotesk (2013). This was followed by Adria Slab (2014).
- Aldrans (2009, minimal sans).
- Anymals (2008) is one of my favorites: it has dingbats of imaginary undersea monsters.
- Asimov (2009). What is this?
- Baustelle Thin (2009, hairline sans).
- Bikra (2010, Plain and Stencil).
- Blitzplakat (2009). A poster face, white on black.
- Darjeeling (2010) is a display family inspired by both Optima and Bodoni.
- Doll (2008), Dollbats (2008).
- Flint (2008). A hand-drawn squarish face.
- Gerber (2009, pixel face).
- Grafinc (2009). An ultra fat art deco. See also Grafinc Rounded.
- Hausbau (2009, experimental).
- Idrans Medium (2010). A poster face.
- With Georg Herold-Wildfellner, he created the Victorian family Ivory in 2009.
- Letterpress (2009) is an experimental grungy family in which he mixes glyphs of three classics, Jakob Erbar's Phosphor (Ludwig&Mayer Foundry, ca. 1923), Aurora (1912, Johannes Wagner Foundry) and Permanent Headline or simply Headline (Karlgeorg Hoefer).
- Lignette Script (2011) is an extensive loopy monoline script font.
- Loki (2009). A decorative pixel family.
- The Marlowe family (2010) is pure art deco elegance---a play on geometric forms and elegance. Subfamilies include Marlowe Cocktail and Marlowe Swirl.
- Moki (2011).
- Motto (2009). An art deco typeface in the style of the Italian Futurismo of the 1920s, designed for using with two colors.
- Mouse (2008-2009, pixel), Mousedings (2008).
- Newcastle (2014).
- Notdef (2009). A strange experiment.
- The handwriting typeface Palma (2008).
- Pinback (2009, techno).
- Publica Sans (2016). A clean geometric sans typeface family.
- Scrap Outline (2008).
- Slug (2009). A geometric typeface made for bicoloring.
- Status (2009, super fat art deco).
- Strangelove Next and Strangelove Next Slab (2010). This beautiful typeface was inspired by Stanley Kubrick's movie Dr. Strangelove. The original titles were designed by Pablo Ferro, who is one of the most acclaimed film title designers, especially famous for his hand-drawn lettering. Dr. Strangelove is a hairline face.
- Substance (2013). A sans family.
- Wenzel (2009). Handprinted.
Facetype's typeface library. See also here. View Marcus Sterz's typefaces.
Klingspor link. Behance link. Fontspring link. [Google]
German movie and TV font archive. [Google]
[Paul Wilde L'Heureux]
Fargoboy is the foundry of Paul Wilde L'Heureux, who is based in New Brighton, MN. He studied at Savannah College of Art and design from 2004 until 2009. His creations include Pablo Skinny (2004), a lively condensed printed hand. Pablo Skinny was inspired by the film title work of Pablo Ferro.
Alternate URL. Home page. [Google]
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Laredo, Spain-based designer (b. 1971) of the monoline sans typeface Depez (2011), Fabada (2011), and the free monoline geometric sans typeface La Chata (2011). La chatte, in French? Maybe not.
In 2011, he made the monoline organic sans typeface Lerótica (free at OFL).
In 2012, he created Nabatea (stone chisel typeface), V de Vacia (a grungy outline face), Sabática (organic), the straight-edged data style typeface Gabardina, the grotesk typeface A Bebedera, the shadow typeface B de Bonita, D Puntillas, and the deconstructed Qebrada.
In 2013, he designed Yacarena Ultra, H.H. Agallas, Nacimiento (a dymo label font), J Airplane Swash (a psychedelic typeface named after Jefferson Airplane), CA Garrutas (grunge), CA Gatintas (grunge), I Am Telefono (the largest phone dingbat and scanbat typeface on earth), Wach Op-Art (kaleidoscopic icons), K.O. Activista, I Am Hueca, X Template (stencil), H.H.Samuel (rounded sans), U2 Metalona (a beautiful white-on-black display face), M F Plexus Italic, J.M. Nexus Grotesque (an "thin inline' fat grotesque), Wachinanga, Tabaquera, Pabellona (grunge), El Pececito (video game font), the poster typeface Hobby of Night (OFL), H2O Shadow (outline version of Fabada), Zabatana Poster (a didone-inspired poster font), Oaxaquena Tall, Yacimiento (wood style wedge serif), and Rabanera.
Typefaces from 2014: Babalusa Cut, A Cuchillada, Sabandija (a plump round display typeface), F2 Tecnocratica, F1 Secuencia Quad (pixel face), La Pejina FFP (bilined), Tabaiba Wild, Gabachita (ultra-condensed rounded sans).
Typefaces from 2015: Tabarra Pro (Swiss style sans family for Latin, Cyrillic and Greek), A Sogra Ruth (art deco), Gaban (an outline version of Tabardo), Tabardo (a heavy blocky font), Wacamoler Caps (a Tuscan typeface inspired opening credits of the Western movie Winchester '73 directed by Anthony Mann in 1950), Ubicada (condensed geometric sans), Rabiosa (neurotic font), Zacatecas (condensed shadowed sans), F3 Secuencia Round, La Babaca (a powerful black condensed sans in the style of Impact), Obcecada Serif, Obcecada Sans (condensed sans), Eacologica Round Slab (a nice commercial font with an incomplete set of numerals), Palim Script (curly), Vacaciones (signage face), de La Cruz.
Typefaces from 2016: Lucemita, Panama Road (a casual calligraphic font), Deslucida, Disoluta, Sucesion Slab, Tabarra Pro Round, Qebab Pro Shadow, Monserga (white on black), Indulta SemiSerif.
Creative Market link. OFL link. Behance link. Dafont link. Devian tart link. Abstract Fonts link. Fontspace link. [Google]
[Jens R. Ziehn]
Jens Ziehn (Filmhimmel, aka Jay R. Zay or JRZ) designed fonts on the theme of films. Filmhimmel closed its web doors ca. 2007. The list: 007-GoldenEye, 13th-Ghostwrite-JRZ, 28-Days-Later, a-bug's-life---debugged, a-bug's-life, AVP, AVPyramid, Alien-Resurrection, Anatomie-2, Apocalypse-Now, Blade-2, Chocolate-Factory, Elektra, Goonies, Highlander, Insomnia, Jurassic-Park, Koyaanisqatsi, Mars-Attacks, Men-In-Black-Credits, Monster-AG, Nightmare-Before-Christmas (a German expressionist typeface), One-Flew-Over-The-Cuckoo's-Nest, Planet-of-the-Apes, Road-to-Perdition, Shaun-of-the-Dead, Sin-City, Sleepy-Hollow-3.0, The-Sixth-Sense, The-Thirteenth-Floor, Van-Helsing, Signs---Zeichen-2.0 (old typewriter font, and grungy zodiac sign emulation capitals), The-Incredibles, The-Ring (handwriting), Daredevil, Durchgeknallt, Findet-Nemo, Lost-Highway, Phone-Booth.
Dafont link. Alternate URL. Another URL. Still another URL. And another one. Old (dead) URL. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Michael Hagemann's creations have a 1850-1920 style or at evoke the Wild West. Font Mesa is located in Naperville, IL.
Free fonts include Cactus Sandwich (Mexican simulation face), Timepiece (originally called Tax Cut), Timepiece 3D, Magic School One and Two (2004, two Harry Potter typefaces), Wild Ride, Corleone (2001: see also here), Corleone Due (2001), MightyRapids (2001: discontinued) and the Ferrari logo font FerroRosso (2002).
Michael Hagemann's commercial fonts by year of production:
- 2001: La Mesa (2001), Maverick's Luck (2001), Desperado (2001), Rio Mesa, Maverick's Luck (based on a bank document from 1876), La Macchina (2001, Lamborghini car lettering)
- 2002: Brewmaster Modern (lettering of Budweiser Racing), Saddlery and Saddlery Post (Western-style caps: a revival of Minaret by Ihlenberg in 1868; Solo calls it Trocadero), FerroRosso (lettering as in the Ferrari logo), Stampede (a family based on lettering used in document from the Chicago, Indiana&Eastern Railway Co. in 1902), Main Strike (a Tuscan font, based on Tuscan Ornate, or Bracelet, fonts that date from before 1860), Red Dog Saloon, Rough Riders (great Western-style caps), Draft Beer.
- 2003: OK Corral (revival of Caslon and Catherwood's Italian from 1821), OK Corral Lined (same as OK Corral with layers; called Italianate Barnum by Dan Solo), Gold Standard (a Tuscan font based on a few letters found on an old Gold Certificate from 1882), Rodeo Clown (based on Carnival), Taqueria, Cove.
- 2004: Bronc Stomper, Open Range, Saloon Girl, Gillé Classic an exquisitily detailed family based on work by Joseph Gillé, 1820's, and implemented elsewhere under the names Circus, Roma and Madame; this was originally called Home Style; some say that the original goes back to Silvestre), Miss Scarlett (Gone with the Wind poster lettering), Open Range, High Noon, Draft Beer Classic (2002-2005, connected 50s script), High Country, American West, West Wind, AmericanPop (Coca-Cola font).
- 2005: Rodeo Roundup (rope font; Solo called it Rope Initials), Algerian Mesa, Conestoga (circus font), Rough Riders (a nice Western font based on the logo of the Beach Creek Railroad Company in the 1860s), Rough Riders Redux, Mesa Pointe (pointing hands, from 19th century sources), Black Pearl (an ornamental blackletter typeface based on an original from ca. 1860; it has two beautiful manicules; some say it is based on an 1860 font called Rimmed Black by West, published by Farmer&Little), Saloonkeeper (inspired by the Leinenkugels brewing label), Wanderer (inspired by the title logo of the TV show The Wild West), Lynchburg (inspired by the Jack Daniels Green Label Whiskey logo).
- 2006: Flat Rock (a revival of Inverted Shaded by Julius Herriet, done at Conner in 1886; Solo calls it Big Cat), Livery Stable (revival of GlypticShaded by Ihlenburg at MS&J, 1878. See also Glyptic and Glyptic No.2, 1878), Happy Holly Day, Main Street (a Tuscan typeface that revives Soutache by Julius Herriet and Bruce, 1873).
- 2007: Birdcage (2007, after a lettering sample in Rob Roy Kelly's American Wood Type book), Lonestar, Lonestar Western, Railhead (2007: 4 styles, a revival of an 1870s type style that was originally available from both Bruce's New York and James Conner's&Sons type foundries called English Two-Line Ornamented No.4; an earlier version was English, done in 1853 by Caslon, Austin, Woods and Sharwoods; and before that, the typeface was created by a German designer in 1849), Flying Dutchman (2007, a revival of a MacKellar, Smiths&Jordan Co Kanzlei-style font from 1876), and Western Sky (2007, a revival of a late 1800s Italian font known as Italian Slab Fancy or Dodge City: it is Italic Ornate from Smith, 1874, MS&J). Country Western (2007, 11 styles; plus versions called Country Western Script and Country Western Swing) is a revival of the classic William Page font known as Clarendon Ornamented originally designed in 1859 and again in 1877 by Vanderburgh&Wells. Abbiente (2007) is his first foray into the world of Bodoni and Didot. Buffalo Bill (2007) is a beautiful Western style font that revives a classic from James Conner's foundry from 1888 [Solo also calls it Buffalo Bill].
- 2008: Gold Rush and Gold Spur (2008) are further Wild West style families, based on typos from the Bruce Foundry, 1865. Silverland (2008, 8 styles; a revival of Ornamented No. 1490 by Ihlenberg, 1874, Bruce) and Belgian (2008, 5 styles; a revival of Ornamented No. 1515 by Julius Herriet, 1861, Bruce) are further revivals of typefaces from the Bruce Foundry.
- 2009: Spanish Main (revival of an old MacKellar Smiths&Jordan blackletter font named Sloping Black, 1896; others mention Witham and MS&J and give the date 1869), Spanish Rose, Black Rose (spiky blackletter based on BlackOrnamented No. 532, Ihlenberg, 1873, Bruce), Bella Rose (2009, blackletter), Broadgauge Ornate (revival of an 1869 Western poster typeface by Ihlenberg at MacKellar Smiths&Jordan). Apple Pie (2009) is some sort of Bodoni Ornate---it revives and extends a William Hagar Type Foundry face, ca. 1850 [MS&J added a lowercase in 1869]. This was followed immediately by Bodoni Ornamental. Hickory (2009) is an ornamental Western face, a revival of an old unnamed font dating back to 1852 and was sold through a few different type foundries including Bruce, MacKellar Smiths&Jordan and James Conner's Sons.
- 2010: Gunsmoke is a Far West font, a revival of a James Conner's Sons font that has been around the block under different names such as Extended Clarendon Shaded, Original Ornamented and Galena [Solo called it Galena]. Night Train is another Far West font.
- 2011: Gold is a multi-style slab serif font family based on the classic Gold Rush (1865, Bruce), with the shadows removed. Images: Gold Black, Gold Thin.
- Undated: Cowboy Serenade (based on Phidian by Ihlenberg, 1870, MS&J; Solo's names: Eureka, Shaded Phidian), Gold Fever (based on Caxtonian, 1878, MS&J), Old Thunder (based on a Tuscan typeface from the 1800s).
- 2013: Great Western, Cowboy Western, Cowboy Rodeo.
- 2014: Magnum Sans.
- Grillmaster (a basic sans family consisting of 128 fonts).
Klingspor link. Fontspace link. Dafont link. Creative Market link. MyFonts page. View Michael Hagemann's typefaces. [Google]
Movie, dingbat and comic font archive at Sharkshock. [Google]
This Argentinian cinephile is interested in movie posters. Known as FZ over at Fontspace, he offers these free "movie" fonts, all made in 2010: Alicia Wonderland, Rango Movie Font, TRON, Coraline AZ, HarryPotter7, Navidad, Lumos Latino (another Harry Potter font), TRON muestre Cine 1, TSalvacion (a Terminator font), HPPoster (Harry Potter titling font), Importante Cita, FrancoFont2.
In 2011, he made Horrible Jefe (based on the movie Quiero matar a mi jefe), Vampire and Hugo Cabret (after the movie Hugo in 3D).
In 2012, FrankenweenieMoviePoster was published.
Typefaces from 2014: Upon a Dream Maleficent, Godzilla Moviefont, Boxtrolls. [Google]
Franklin J. Sell
Creator of Jeannie (2003), after the titling of the Columbia Pictures show I Dream of Jeannie. Sell is at Virginia Tech. [Google]
Free Movie Themed Fonts
Tober Welsh (a freelancer in Tacoma, WA) rounds up 50 free movie-themed fonts: 007 GoldenEye, 28 Days Later, Wolf's Bane (Wolverine Font), Squealer (AC DC Font, by Ray Larabie), Blade Runner Movie Font, Aurabesh (Star Wars Symbols Font), Han Solo (Star Wars Font), SF Fedora (Indiana Jones Font), Back To The Future 2002, Batman Forever, Due Date (COPS Font), CNN, Fight This (Fight Club Font), Friday13 (Friday the 13th Font), Grinched (How the Grinch Stole Christmas Font), Ringbearer (Lord of the Rings Font), Elvish Ring NFI (Lord of the Rings - Elvish), Aniron (Lord of the Rings - Alternative Font), Matrix, Nightmare Before Christmas, Planet of the Apes, The Ring, Sin City, Trek (Star Trek Font), Harry P (Harry Potter Font), Lumos (Harry Potter Book Font), SF TransRobotics (Transformers Font), Waltograph (Walt Disney Font), Final Fantasy, Halo3, Army of Darkness, Blade 2, Beynkales Demo (Corpse Bride Font), Trajan-Regular (The Movie Font), Red Right Hand (Hellboy Font), Homoarakhn (Spiderman and PS3 Font), Scream Real (Scream Font), An Unfortunate Event (Lemony Snicket's Font), Fiddums Family (Addams Family Font), Battlestar Galactica, Alien League (Alien Font), Adam Warren 0.2 (300 Font), AVP (Alien VS Predator Font), Timepiece (A Clockwork Orange Font), Metrolox (Enemy of the State Font), The Godfather, Impossible (Mission: Impossible Font), InvisibleKiller (Predator Font), Resident Evil, Terminator Real NFI (Terminator Font). [Google]
Cartoonist from Recife, Brazil, b. 1966, whose sense of humor and artsistic prowess shine in his dingbat fonts. Dafont link. Fontsy link.
Creator of the experimental Almost Sanskrit (2009), Zodiac Nice (2009, astrological symbols), Xilo in Zodiac (2009), Xilo-Cordel-Literature (2009, dingbats), Cordel Circo Mambembe (2010), Inside Issue (2009), Stretched Signature Flex (2009), Action of the time (2009, grunge), the dingbat typeface Ugly Cars (2010), the grunge typeface Capitão Galdino (2008), the grunge typeface Saltpeter-N-Fungus (2010), Texture Road (2010, more grunge), BSB DF 50 (2010, grunge), Fine Serif (2009), and the nice dingbat typeface Ochent Silibrina (2008).
Fonts made in 2010: Sport 4 Ever (dingbats for Olympic Games), 60sPop (multiline face), DotSpot (dot matrix), IRON H METAL (tattoo, gothic), IngaStoneSigns (stone age glyphs), Ode2PasteUp (hand-printed), WideSquare (pixelish), ActionoftheTimeNewUL, BSBDF50, Haus-Sweet-Haus, INSIGHT-ISSUE-NEW, Movie Filmstrip, SquareChalk, Action Of The Time New (grunge), CordelValentine (dingbats), IngaStoneSigns (petroglyphs), SustainableAmazon, VeryDamaged (grunge), ParkTechCG (letters as in wired circuits), kidSWritten, Iron H MetallLight, LaceNice (knitted look), Ode2PasteUp, TextureRoad (grunge).
Fonts from 2011: Booklet Cordel (sketched), Cordel Encarnado, Nuclear Accident (texture face), Noncircular (techno), Old Press (grunge), Old Typography (grunge).
Fonts made in 2012: New Press (condensed sans family, +Eroded), Sketch Wall, Comic Gibi, Own Written, Comica BD (comic book shadow font), Cartoon Relief (a 3d cartoon typeface), Riscada Doodle (scratchy hand), Sketch Nice, Needlework Good (a stitching font), Biscuit Made, Just Skinny, Crazy Style, After Cheret (hand-drawn 3d shadowed outline face), Spots in the mirror, TNT Xplosion, Escrita Toska (curly script), Cordel Movies (moviemaking dingbats), Fine N Tall, Cordel Groteska, From Street Art (free graffiti font), Sketch College (sketched athletic shirt font), Thin Press (grungy vernacular type), Sketch Serif, Relief BD, Maxxi Serif (very heavily slabbed serif face), Semi Cursive Gut, Sketch Coursive (sketch face), Salt Pet Non Eroded, Advanced Architecture, Very Fine Serif (a monoline Egyptian), Sketch Nothing, Freehand Nothing, Shark Attack (curly), Do Doodle, Maybe Pollock (dust texture face), Xilo Prosa (grunge), Thin Design, Amazon Palafita (hand-drawn 3d outline face), Snow Times, Snow Traces, USSR Army (rough army stencil with a Russian feel), Needlework US (stitch font), Old Scribe (Greek lapidary face), Nickel Bumpy, Soviet Style (stencil face), Top Modern (heavy slab serif), Lettering Set New, Carton East, Not Tuned TV (sketch font), Scar Bleed (scary font), Maxxi Dots (texture face, +Shadows), Dots Land Gotika (grungy blackletter), Stefanie Dots (textured letters), Karamuruh (textured caps), Broken Type (grunge: a glaz krak font), Touppeka (a Kafkaesque, tribal or painter's font), Old Dreams (grungy), Bad King (sketched typeface), False 3D (hand-printed 3d outline typeface), True2D, I Wrote All, Resistance Until The End.
Typefaces from 2013: Serifa Comica (comic book slab), Press Style Serif (letterpress style), Press Style Large, Triatlhon In (sic: a Greek simulation face), Go 2 Old Western (grungy wood type), Old Serif Gut, Press Style (letterpress style typeface), Dust Serif, Thing Press, Thin Grotesk Serif, Before Collapse (glaz krak face), Stencil Style New (a military stencil), Damaged Serif, Press Serif Cool, Press Feeling, Sketch Toska, Link Parties, Almost Cartoon, Cartoon Toy, Toy Toy Toon, Fine Style (didone caps), Fine Sans (Peignotian), Beyond Blackboard, Forgotten Junk (grunge).
Typefaces from 2014: Simply Rounded, Cartoon 2 Packages, Pain N Bleed, Yummy Lollipop, Hippie Movement, Rotunda Geo, Old Figaro Cursive, Cute Cartoon, Sketch Gothic School (sketched blackletter), Fine College (hatched athletic lettering face), Press Felling Eroded (letterpress emulation), School Book New (sketched), Stencil Cargo Army (military stencil), Fine Eroded, Grunge Poster, Education Is A Way, Cartoon Blocks, Cartoon Bones, Cursive Option, Odd Press (letterpress emulation), Cartoon Tunes, From Cartoon Blocks (3d), Hippie Movement, Yummy Lollipop, Needlework Perfect, Press Gutenberg (blackletter), Unic Calligraphy, Roundfed Eroded, Children's Book (outlined), Neon 2 News, Good Choice (shadowed letterpress emulation), Cartoon 2 Us, O 10 Type, Dust West (grungy Western style), Comic Balloon, Caligraf 1435 (pirate era script), No Name Sans, Top Secret Stamp (grungy stencil), Fine Blackboard (blackboard bold, inline), Press Style Extra L (letterpress), Sounds Good (geometric sans), Sounds Eroded (shadowed letterpress font), Cartoon Blocks Christmas, Street 2 Art (graffiti font).
Typefaces from 2015: Snaps Taste (a grocery store or comic book font), Snaps Taste Christmas, Calligraphy Hand Made, Silly Aliens (dingbats), Sketch Match (3d, sketched), Cartoon 4 Sports (dingbats), Kids Book, Almost Japanese (oriental simulation font, +Comic, +Cartoon), Inga Stone Redesigned, Money Money Plus (engraved money font emulation), Thin Cool, Old N New Media (dingbats), Thinkers World (scanbats of famous intellectuals), Magical Cord, Quick Writing, Eroded 2 Much, Stencil Army WW I (miltary stencil), Stencil WW II (military stencil), D-Day Stencil (military stencil), Western Bang Bang (weathered Western font), Modern Serif, Modern Serif Eroded, Money Money (hand-crafted engraved currency font), Almost Japanese Smooth (oriental simulation typeface), Write Righ, Ease Christmas (dingbats), Sketch Script Cool, Ficticcia College.
Typefaces from 2016: Sketch Fine Serif, Sketch Handwriting, Typewriter Press, Typewriter Style, Sketch 3D. [Google]
Game Font Database
The (video, card, board) game font database, managed by Dean Tersigni, who designed many of the fonts himself. All fonts can be downloaded. Here we go:
SF Atarian System (8), SF Fortune Wheel (8), SF Intellivision (8)
Abadox, Bionic Commando, Boulder Dash, Captain America and the Avengers, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Commander Keen (Large), Commander Keen (Medium), Commander Keen (Small), Controller, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Joe&Mac, Kemco - Deja Vu, Kemco - Shadowgate, Kemco - Uninvited, Spy Hunter, Standard Galactic Alphabet (2), Trojan, Ultima: Exodus, Willow
Camels /ck!, Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2, Heretic II, Last Ninja, Last Ninja 3, Last Ninja 3 (8x8), Pirates, Quake1, Quake2, SIN, Stealth
Astron Boy (4), Borg9, Crackman, Gypardy, Iomanoid, Joystix, namco regular, Orange Kid, Pricedown, Zrnic
DeluxeFont Regular, DPComic Regular, Kongtext Regular, Lunchtime Doubly So, Manaspace Regular, PC Senior Regular, Press Start K, Press Start Regular, Return of Ganon Regular, Senor Saturno, Yoster Island Regular
8-bit Limit BRK (4), Kirby No Kira Kizzu BRK, Perfect Dark (BRK), Yoshi's Story, Zelda DX TT BRK (2)
Beast Wars, Colony Wars Normal, Neverwinter Normal, Pacmania, StarCraft, Turok Normal, Turtles Normal
G7_1943 TTF, G7 After Burner TTF, G7 Hopping Mappy TTF, G7 Kiki Kaikai TTF, G7 Silkroad TTF, Ninja Kid 2
Blaizing Tec Small, Castlevania Legends, Dracula X PCE, Princess Maker 2, Wizards&Warriors
G.B.BOOT, R.P.G., R.P.G. Katakana, videobeast 80's
Mortal Kombat 1, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat Mythologies, MuRdOiNk MKDA
UltimapDungeon, UltimapEntities, UltimapIntown, UltimapLetters, UltimapOutdoors
Jens R. Ziehn
007 GoldenEye, Blade 2, Resident Evil
Silent Hell of Cheryl (3)
Chrono Trigger, Chrono Trigger Monospaced
Shadow of Xizor, TIE-Wing
Blood Omen, Soul Reaver
Dark Crystal Outline, Dark Crystal Script
Captain Howdy, Card Characters
House of Lime
Pokemon Kiddy Ding, Tyler's Pokemon
Alien League, Andes
Gargish, Ophidean Runes
Aurora Condensed BT (2)
Exocet Heavy, Exocet Light
Cheq, Yukon Font
SEGA LOGO FONT, Sonic Title Font
Deus Ex Console (2)
Thomas W. Otto
Friday13, Terminator Real NFI
Alejandro Conde L—pez
Allen R. Walden
Final Frontier Old Style
Astigmatic One Eye
RETURN TO CASTLE
Mortal Kombat 3
Back to the future 2002
Hoyle Playing Cards
David F. Nalle
Duane Richard Haut II
Font Company, The
Wonder Boy In Monster Land
Super Mario Bros.
Joseph M. Pence
Juan Pablo Reyes Altamirano
Mark F. Heiman
Riven: The Font (v3.0)
Mortal Kombat 4
Mike "Gumby" Anderson
Blade Runner Movie Font
Back to the Future
Richard William Mueller
X360 by Redge
Standard Galatic Alphabet 8
Paper Mario Dialog Redesigned
BTSE + PS2 FONT
Super Mario Bros. Club
The Liquid Plumber
Super Mario Brothers
Tom C. Lai
Perfect DOS VGA 437 Win
Alias, BatmanForeverAlternate, BatmanForeverOutline, Britannian Runes I, Britannian Runes II, Britannian Runes II Sans Serif, Burton's Nightmare, Diploma Regular, DooM, DooM (Old), Gaslight Regular, Gold Box Games, Homoarakhn, Hylian 64, Imagica, Mortal Kombat 5, Mr. Do Font, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball Dreams, Playing Cards, Pokemon Hallow Normal, Pokemon Solid Normal, QUAKE, QUAKE 2, Standard Galatic Alphabet, Triforce
SF Atarian System (8), SF Fortune Wheel (8), SF Intellivision (8)
DeluxeFont Regular, DPComic Regular, Kongtext Regular, Lunchtime Doubly So, Press Start K, Press Start Regular, Return of Ganon Regular, Senor Saturno, Manaspace Regular
Borg9, Crackman, Gypardy, Iomanoid, Joystix, namco regular, Orange Kid, Pricedown, Zrnic
8-bit Limit BRK (4), Perfect Dark (BRK), Zelda DX TT BRK (2)
G7_1943 TTF, G7 After Burner TTF, G7 Hopping Mappy TTF, G7 Kiki Kaikai TTF, G7 Silkroad TTF, Ninja Kid 2
Colony Wars Normal, Neverwinter Normal, Pacmania, StarCraft, Turok Normal, Turtles Normal
G.B.BOOT, R.P.G., R.P.G. Katakana, videobeast 80's
Mortal Kombat 1, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat Mythologies, MuRdOiNk MKDA
Silent Hell of Cheryl (3)
Shadow of Xizor, TIE-Wing
Dark Crystal Outline, Dark Crystal Script
Jens R. Ziehn
007 GoldenEye, Resident Evil
Exocet Heavy, Exocet Light
Thomas W. Otto
Friday13, Terminator Real NFI
RETURN TO CASTLE
Mortal Kombat 3
David F. Nalle
Font Company, The
Juan Pablo Reyes Altamirano
Mortal Kombat 4
Blade Runner Movie Font
Richard William Mueller
X360 by Redge
BTSE + PS2 FONT
04b_21, Arcade Classic, Britannian Runes I, Britannian Runes II, Britannian Runes II Sans Serif, Diploma Regular, DooM, Gold Box Games, HaloRegular (2), Homoarakhn, Hylian 64, Mortal Kombat 5, Mr. Do Font, N-Gage, Omikron, Playing Cards, QUAKE, QUAKE 2, SEGA LOGO FONT, Standard Galatic Alphabet, Triforce, TRON, Ultima Runes, UltimapDungeon, UltimapEntities, UltimapIntown, UltimapLetters, UltimapOutdoors
Game Show Fonts
An archive featuring fonts used in various TV game shows. [Google]
Gangs of New York
Mark Simonson discusses the anachronisms in the type choices for Scorsese's Gangs of New York (2002), set in the 1860's--they were even using Avenir! [Google]
Gene Buban (aka geneus1) is the creative and prolific designer at FontStruct in 2008-2009 of these typefaces:
- Aerologica (2009): 3-d headline face.
- Alphadings: DeTracks.
- Altitudinus (2010).
- Amplifica (+Carved, 2010).
- Arkham Bloodletters (2008).
- Bauhaus style: Slink (2009) is a tribute to Josef Albers---one could also call it a piano key font. Codename Bauhaus (2010).
- Arc Brick 1:1 and 2:2 (2010).
- Bevelicious (2009): 3d shadow face.
- Bezziaiare (2010): an imitation of Futura.
- Brikd is a fantastic headline face.
- Bubble Lab EF (2008) and Bubble Lab Bang (2008): dingbat fonts.
- Calligraphique (2010).
- Candella (2013).
- ChequereBoard (2008): a 3d face.
- Christmas fonts: Kallosia Decorative (2009, blackletter), Snowflakes (2009).
- Clone War (2008).
- Codename Bauhaus (2010).
- Country Fried (Western style)
- Crossfyre (2010).
- Crystles (2014). He writes: In 1983, Atari released the Crystal Castles video game. You play Bentley Bear walking around castles and collecting gems. Trimetric instead of isometric. Interestingly enough, the initials of the highest scorer in the leaderboard is used to build the first castle. This font version is created using the same thin plated tiles that the player traverses through the castles.
- Decorata (stylized art deco)
- Didone fonts: Legality (2009, sharply serifed), Petrissage (2009).
- Digibubble (2014: pixelish face).
- Dingbats: DeTrayne (graffiti-clad trains), Happy Halloween (2009).
- Egalite (2010): a blackletter face.
- Direktype (2014: striped).
- Elektronika (2009) and Circularities (2015). Pixelish.
- ElSeeDee (2008, white on a black grid, inspired by the baggage claim LED scrolling message system at the Oakland Airport)
- Effleurage (2009).
- Eurostijl (2008)
- Exersia, Excursia
- Ferno (hell?)
- Filmstryp (2008)
- Flameon (2008) is a vertically striped athletic lettering font.
- Fluoralei (2008) and Fluoralyte (2008) are all caps floral-themed typefaces.
- Futuro (2008) and Futuro Extra Bold (2008).
- Futurity Watch (2009).
- Fragg (2014: a rounded stencil face).
- Framestore (2008).
- G1 Construx (2012). An arched textured typeface for "under construction" signage.
- G1 Stenzilla (2012). A piano key stencil face. G1 Twyne (2014: Celtic knots), G12 Brayed (2014: Celtic knots), G1 Explo (2014), G1 Fasttrax (2013).
- Gappy and Gappy LC (2010).
- Glossierre (2009).
- Graffikki (2010): graffiti face.
- Hammerslab (2008) is a very thick heavy slab serif face.
- Happy Halloween (2008): Halloween dingbats.
- HellStruct (2008): flamed letters.
- hollo, holloback, holloblack
- HulkSmash has the look of cracked concrete blocks---has to be seen to be believed!
- HyperLynk (2010).
- Indiglo (2010).
- Interblok Cylindrome (2011) and Interblok Stroke (2009): labyrinthine / Celtic knot / texture typefaces.
- IronManic (2008, letters resemble armor steel plates with bolts)
- IsoMatrix 3D (2009, an Escher deception in 3D), Bevelluzian (2010, 3d beveled checkerboard illusion).
- Jaggs (2010): angular.
- Karuso 68 (2009).
- Leefer is a kitchen tile font.
- Legere (2010, a roman face).
- LegoManiax (2008).
- Lucid (2009).
- Lush Alienne Caps (2014).
- Microboto (2014).
- Modulus and Modulus Black, ultra fat fonts.
- Motternal (2011), a version of Othmar Motter's Motter Tektura.
- Mucro Bold, a heavy metal band font
- Multiverse Diagonality (2009).
- Nontroppo (2010).
- Outlier (2010).
- Paradoxx (2011). Peignotian.
- Periculum (2010): monoline sans.
- Pixsle (2010).
- Predatoric ad Predatoric2 (2010).
- Prikkle (2010): angular.
- Ray Type Alpha (2014). A game font based on Konami's 1981 game Scramble.
- Renovare S1 (2010) and Renovare S2 (2015). a slab serif.
- Requiemme Decorum (Sept. 14th, 2009): blackletter. He writes: Exactly one year ago two of my cousins, Chris and Cleofe, got into a dealer-loaned Lexus for a trip after their main car was being repaired. Cleofe's husband, a CHP officer, was driving and their teen daughter was along for the ride. While on the freeway, the accelerator became stuck and they lost control of the car. As the runaway vehicle sped up to over 100 mph, all four passengers were killed in a fiery crash in the San Diego River. The loss was unquantifiably devastating. This immensely tragic event led my aunt to testify before congress with damning evidence that would initiate the recall of millions of Toyota vehicles. Requiemme Decorum was created on the way down to southern California for the funeral services. For Chris, Cleofe, Mark, and Mahala, may you all rest in peace and love.
- Renovare (2010, +Renovare S1, S2): a slab serif.
- Roboscript (2008): an upright connected school script.
- Rubrix (2008): a Rubik cube dingbat font.
- Sanserity (2013).
- Scipio (2010).
- Scribble Not (2010) is a texture face.
- Sequencia (2010).
- Seriface and Seriface 2.0 (2010, a roman all-caps set).
- Sharp-serifed almost modern typefaces: Legality, Petrissage, Effleurage, Karuso68.
- Sinaloco (2014: in the style of Sinaloa).
- Sirkles (2015). a dot-matrix typeface.
- Sonorous (2010). Broadway-style art deco typeface.
- Spartan Tech (2010): inspired by the multiplayer game Halo3.
- Stanley Twobrick (pointy minimalist face)
- Startrek typefaces: Transformicon (2009).
- Stencilline (2014).
- Streamlyne (2010, squarish, outlined).
- Structurocca and Structurozza (2009): Horizontally stencilled black typefaces.
- Swizelle (2015). A lava lamp typeface.
- Tangience and Tangience Solid (2008) are fonts in which the glyphs are built up from circles glued together.
- The Pax Man (2009): metallic whatever.
- Trelief and Trelief Rounded (2010): multilined 3d beveled typefaces.
- Tubric (2010): counterless.
- Upriteous and Upriteous Black, condensed protestant fonts.
- Victoriana (Victorian caps)
- Vindicta Dualine (2011: Blackboard bold).
- Wall-F: white squarish letters in black circles
- Waverly, with scary pointed barbs like on German WWI helmets.
- Weaver (Celtic knot-themed letters)
- Xerro (2010): like Helvetica.
- Yeomamuh, a fat look face.
- Wypeout (2010)
- Zorea (2014, inline font).
During her graphic design studies in 2014, Genesis Linares (Caracas, Venezuela) created the decorative caps typeface Candy. [Google]
George Edward Purdy
[The Computer Graphics Site]
At the Universidad de Cuenca, Ecuador Geovanny Gavilanes designed the free spurred and diamond-studded vintage typeface Caja (2016), Inglorious Basterd Icons (2015, based on Quentin Tarantino's movie) and the free SVG format Antique Weapons Icons. In 2016, he created the free orthogonal deco typeface Cortana. [Google]
Brussels-based designer of the free font Stargate Atlantis Glyphs (2007). He also has a Star Wars / Sci Fi font archive. [Google]
[The SciFi World]
Government Studios (was: GVMNT)
Max Privalov's foundry, Government Studios (was: GVMNT), is based in Los Angeles. Government Studios is originally a film studio, designing fonts for future film projects.
Typefaces from 2012: the bamboo cut-tipped caps typeface Envy Races (with possible use in fashion mags), the Peignotian typeface Counterfeit Black, and the wide wedge-serifed slightly engraved high-contrast titling typeface Black Feud.
In 2014, Government Studios designed the spiky all-caps typeface Spotlight and the flared typeface Opium (which was designed using the herbarium specimens of Papaver somniferum).
HypeForType link. [Google]
[Lux Typographics (was: Intersection Studio)]
GSN: Band Fonts
Andy Forsberg's archive of fonts used by bands: 1979, 39Smooth, Abaddon, Aerosmith, Anywhere, Apollyon, Attic, AvalonQuestSWFTE, Avatar, AvatarBold, BDPlakatbau, BOOTLE, BadDogSCapsSSKBold, Baratz, BaseMonoWideReg, Beckett, Ben-Folds-Five, BerlinerRegularSwfte, BjorkFont, BonJovi, BonzCapsSSK, BrooklynKid, Burton'sNightmare, C39HrP24DlTt, CasablancaAntiquePlain, CasablancaAntiquePlain, Caterpillar, ChineseTakeaway, ClosetoMe, Cobb, Concielian, CopperplateGothic-Bold, Crack-Babies, CriminalItalic, Danzig, DeftoneStylus, Densmore, Die-Nasty, DirtyHeadline, Dream-Theater, Dust-Mites, Edition-Regular, EnyaPlain, Erasure, Escalido-Remixed, Europa, EuroseWideHeavy-Regular, EurostileRegular, Evanescent, Facelift, FakePlastic, FakeReceipt, FatboySlimBLTC(BRK), FelixTitlingMT, Floydian, FrancisGothicWideItalic, FranklinGothic-MediumCond, Gothicum, Haettenschweiler, HighVoltageRegularSWFTE, Hirosh, HoleWebMaster, HollywoodHills, HollywoodHillsBold, HollywoodHillsBoldItalic, HollywoodHillsCondensed, HollywoodHillsCondensedItalic, HollywoodHillsExpanded, HollywoodHillsExpandedItalic, HollywoodHillsItalic, Humanist521BT-Roman, IcedEarth, JeanSplice, JeanSpliceLoLeft, JeanSpliceLoRite, JeanSpliceUpLeft, JeanSpliceUpRite, KISSMyFont, Karate, Karloff, Kashmir, KissMeKissMeKissMe, KlingonBlade, Kornucopia, Kravitz, KyotoSong, LKPark, LaMent, LadyStarlight, Lansbury, Lemonheads, Limp-Bizkit, Linkin-Park, Mason-Regular, MeetJohnHenry, MegadethCryptic, Metal-Lord, MetallicA-NEW, Metrolox, MilleniumBT-BoldExtended, Misfit, Motley, MotrheadGrotesk, MotterFemD, MythologyNormal, NeuropolMedium, Nirvana-Roman, Nirvana, Oasis, Ogilvie, OldEnglish, Orgy, Pastor-ofMuppets, PlainOMatic, Polaroid22, PunchLabelRegular, Pyrite, RacewayMedium, Rammstein, ReznorBroken, SFChaerilidae-Bold, SFChaerilidae-BoldOblique, SFChaerilidae-Oblique, SFChaerilidae, SFChaerilidaeOutline-Oblique, SFChaerilidaeOutline, SFChaerilidaeShaded-Oblique, SFChaerilidaeShaded, Severed, Shredded, Sickness, Singothic, Smash, SpillMilk, Squealer (AC/DC, by Ray Larabie), SquealerEmbossed, SterlingPanic, StopD, SugarRay, Swiss721BT-BlackCondensed, Swiss721BT-Thin, TagsXtreme, Temple-Regular, TheAeroplaneFliesHighHeavy, ThinLizzyJailbreak, TibetanBeefgardenAOE, Treasure, TrixiePlain, TurbulenceRIPIkarus, Uptown, ValhallaNormal, Viking-Normal, VikingPlain, Violation, VulgarDisplayOfPower, WeezerFont (the typophiles are fuming about this rip-off), Westminster, WillRobinson, XBANDRough, ZZZTop, Zeppelin2, ZurichBT-ExtraCondensed, savatage. [Google]
Harold Lohner was born in upstate New York in 1958. He received an MFA in printmaking from the University at Albany and is Professor of Visual Arts at Sage College of Albany. He began making fonts in 1997 and starting distributing them the next year through Harold's Fonts. He lives in Albany, NY, with his partner, Al Martino. Originally, most of his typefaces were freeware or shareware, but gradually, he started selling most on his site or via FontBros. His typefaces:
- Famous fonts: Boom Chicka (2013: a set of three cartoon fonts inspired by the poster for the Marilyn Monroe film, The Prince and the Showgirl (1957), designed by Bill Gold), Auteur (2007, after the handwriting in the opening titles of Jean Cocteau's The Beauty and the Beast, 1946), 12 to the Moon (2000, runes based on the Columbia Pictures movie "12 to the Moon"), Aardvark Café (2000, extrapolated from the famous Hard Rock Café logo), BENSFOLK (2000, adapted from the work of Ben Shahn, in turn adapted from "folk or amateur" alphabets. Font originally developed for The Arts Center of the Capital Region.), BENSFOLK CONDENSED (2000), Bensgothic (1998), BensgothicLigatures (1998), CALAVERAS (2002, a take on Daisyland), Comet Negative (2000, based on the logo of Country Music Television (CMT)), Comet Positive (2000), HonestJohns (2000, based on the lettering in the classic Howard Johnson's restaurants logo), METRODF (2000, based on the Mexico City subway's lettering), Radio (2002, derived from the old NPR (National Public Radio) logo).
- Handlettering: Empress Monograms (2014), Frank the Architect (2004, +Bold, 2009: after the lettering of architect Frank Ching), National Archive (2009, calligraphic), Rough Draft (2009, sketched font), Greg's Hand (2009), Rudland Hand (2007, inspired by the work of the British artist and designer Peter Rudland), Gamera (2006), Directors Script (2006, based on a film credits script from the 1940s), National Archive (2005, based on the lettering of Timothy Matlack, who wrote the Declaration of Independence), Frank the Architect (2004, based on Frank Ching's lettering, which also gave rise to the Tekton family), Imitation (2003, inspired by the handlettered titles of the film Imitation of Life (1959), directed by Douglas Sirk and artdirected by Richard H. Riedel), Imitation Two (2004), antiestablishment (2000), Christmas Card (2000, based on the handlettered opening titles of the film "It's a Wonderful Life", Art Director: Jack Okey. This font was retired and replaced in 2006 by Testimonial), Espangle (2002, as the lettering for El Corte Ingles), Dad's Recipe (2000, based on his dad's handwriting), Greg's Hand (2001, Greg Smith's writing), Greg's Other Hand (2002), Kaela (1998, reshaped and extended in 2006), Marker Man (1999), Synch (2000, with Phil Campbell, inspired by the work of the artist Stuart Davis), Synchronous (2000, based on Syncopated Script, again made with Phil Campbell), Syncopated Script (1999).
- Blackletter: Waldorf Text (2011, after a 1914 original), Waldorf Heavy Illuminated (2011), Manucrypt (2011), Rude Goth (2007, grunge blackletter), Alsace-Lorraine, Benighted, Chinese Gothic, Christmas Card II, Kombine Regular, Kombine Kursiv (2000), Olde Chicago.
- Woodtype: Blacktops (caps, 1999), Blacktop Small Caps (1999), Blacktop Regular (2014), Cinderella (1998). The Western font Cattle Annie (2006) is an unauthorized digital interpretation of the analog font "Les Catalanes." According to ABZ: More alphabets and other signs by Rothenstein and Gooding, it was designed in 1952 by Enric Crous-Vidal (1908-1987) but was never produced.
- Stencil fonts: JJ Stencil, JJStencilLight (2000, inspired by the work of Jasper Johns), JJStencil Wet, JJStencilMedium, Sideshow (2000, based on the stencilled lettering on a vintage Ouija board), JJStencilSolid (2003), StencilFour (2001, inspired by the logo of Channel 4 (UK); reworked in 2006 into Oaktag), StencilFourReversed (2001).
- Western: Oklahoma (2006, based on the title of the film by that name), Captain Howdy (1999, 2000, Western font based on the lettering on a Ouija board).
- Fraktur fonts: Benighted (2002), AlsaceLorraine (2000), Chinese Gothic (2000), Kombine Regular (2000), Kombine Kursiv (2000).
- Revived Letraset fonts: BLOCK UP family (2000, based on the font family by the same name by Sally Ann Grover (1974) for Letraset), Good Vibes (2001, based on the analog font "Good Vibrations" by Trevor Hatchett for Letraset, 1973), GoodVibesBackbeat (2001), ObliqueTextBold (2000, based on a Letraset font called Obliq, 1984), ObliqueTextLight (2000), ObliqueTextMedium (2000), Wireframe (2000, based on the Letraset font Bombere designed by Carla Bombere (or Carla Ward)).
- Art deco fonts: Cartel (2005, simply gorgeous), based on the lettering of the 1936 movie by that name), Crazy Harold (2009), Road Jester (2009), Onion (2003), Roberta (2003, based on a font of Bob Trogman, 1962), Roberta Raised Shadow (2003), Boomerang family (1998-2000), LeFilmClassic family (2000, based on the classic Art Deco font of the same name, originally designed by Marcel Jacno and released by Deberny&Peignot, 1927), LeFilmLetters (2000), LeFilmShadow (2000), PopUps (1998, a 3-d art deco font for signboards), Tapeworm (1998, based on the work of artist Ed Ruscha), Farouk (2001, a five-line art deco font, based on an analog font of the same name, as illustrated in Paul E. Kennedy's "Modern Display Alphabets"; in fact, the original source should be Fatima, a font designed by Karl Hermann Schaefer in 1933 at Schriftguss, and a copy of it at FT Française was called Atlas (1933). Lohner renamed Fatima to Atlas at some point, and added Atlas Solid, still in 2001).
- MICR fonts: CMC7 (1998).
- Dingbats: Everyday People (2013, silhouettes), Bingo Dingo (2011, inspired by the classic Mexican game, Loteria), Essene Dingbats (2005), Chapeau (2005, inspired by the 1902 Sears Catalog), Corset (2005, inspired by the 1902 Sears Catalog), Harold's Pips (2004), Alpha Bravo (2003), Rebus, AmericanCheese (1999), Candide Dingbats (1999, a reclinming women dingbat typeface based on decorations designed by Rockwell Kent for "Candide," circa 1928), Maritime Flags (2000), New Year Dingbats (1999: Japanese patterns).
- Monospace fonts: Chica Mono (2000, based on Apple's Chicago; not really monospaced, by the way), Queer Theory Black, Bold, Regular and Light (1999).
- Arabic simulation typefaces: Alhambra (2006), Alhambra Deep (2006).
- Oriental simulation fonts: Bruce Mikita (+Solid) (after a metal font by the same name; Dan Solo calls it Lantern), Pad Thai (2006), Mystic Prophet (2002, inspired by Ouija boards), Chines Gothic, Font Shui (inspired by a style of hand-lettering illustrated in Alphabets: Ancient&Modern, compiled by J. B. Russell (Padell, 1946), Rubaiyat Shadow and Inline, Seoul (Korean font simulation), Shazi, Twelve to the moon, Chow Fun (2001, an oriental simulation typeface based on a sample of hand lettering identified as "Crooks' Stencil Designed Alphabet" in Alphabets: Ancient&Modern, compiled by J. B. Russell and published in 1945 by Padell Book Co), Quasi (1998).
- Cartoon fonts: Laughtrack (2009, based on the work of the cartoonist Jerry Robinson), CokerOne (2000, based on the work of cartoonist Paul Coker Jr), Coker Two (2000) (note: therse fonts were erroneously named. They were renamed to Denney because of this: "The lettering in the fonts you have was developed by Alan Denney at Hallmark in the late 1950s. He also worked for American Greetings Hi Brows from 1960 - 1966 and then returned to Hallmark.... And he later went to a different lettering style when Shoe Box cards became Hallmark's funny card line replacing Contemporary Cards. Alan retired from Hallmark in 1993 and died two years later."), ZITZ (2000, based on the hand lettering in the King Features daily strip "Zits" by Jim Borgman and Jerry Scott), Ohmigosh (2007: 12 styles of comic book lettering).
- Dot matrix fonts: Fortuna Dot (2001).
- Pixel fonts: Larcher (based on a modular font designed by Jean Larcher).
- Medieval script fonts: Sonnet Italic&Swash (2009), Galathea (2000, based on a classic analog font of the same name, "Originalerzeugnis von J. S. Schelter&Giesecke, Leipzig").
- Fonts made in 2015: Ace of Clubs, Roberta (after Bob Trogman's art nouveau font Roberta, 1962).
- Fonts made in 2013: OK Monograms (retro-futuristic), Splunge (based on Franklin Gothic).
- Fonts made in 2012: Humerus (Halloween font inspired by the opening credit sequence of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, 1948), Retrospace (inspired by the hand-lettered opening credits of the film Some Came Running (1958)), Toynbee Idea (free font based on Toynbee tiles), Hymn (scanbat).
- Fonts made in 2011: Institute Stamps (grunge), Magic Carpet, Shoemaker (shoe stitch face).
- Fonts made in 2010: Salmagundi (grunge), Dynamotor (like Dynamo, which was designed by K. Sommer and first released in 1930), Poignant (inspired by the hand-lettered film titles of certain mid-1900s films from Twentieth-Century Fox, including "All About Eve", "Gentleman's Agreement" and "No Way Out."), Pharmacy MMX (unicase), Karta (3d face), Flores MMX.
- Fonts made in 2009: Wexley (revival of a VGC font called Wexford), Sonnet (based on the printed text of Shakespeare, 1609), Fashion Brush, Fashion Script, Imitation One, Two, and Three, Generation B (all at Font Bros), Gainsborough (2009, an art deco typeface inspired by the hand-lettered titles of an Alfred Hitchcock film, The Lady Vanishes (1938)), Comfy (FontBros: inspired by an example of "Pinselschrift" (brush lettering) by Wilhelm Dechert), Sirena (FontBros: inspired by the hand-lettered opening titles of the film I Married a Witch).
- Fonts made in 2008: Alumino (inspired by Saul Bass's design for the aluminum company Alcoa), République (four fonts inspired by Paris Metro signs---not the familiar Art Nouveau "Metropolitain" signs, but the later Art Deco design by Adolphe Dervaux), Handbill (based on rubber stamps), Flash Mob, Pen Script Monograms, Royal Wedding (commercial set at Font Bros), 2 Clover Monograms, 4 Heart Monograms, Silverliner (based on the opening titles of the 1951 Hitchcock movie Strangers on a Train), Tricot (lettering as done on a sweater, after a design by Nancy Stahl), Silverliner (based on the opening titles of the 1951 Hitchcock movie Strangers on a Train), Carbon Copy, Bracelet Mongrams.
- Fonts made in 2007: Aeolian, Pub Bites, Barril and Barril Doble (a digital interpretation of the 1970s Neufville font Barrio), Circle Monograms, XOXO (grunge), Safety Pin (inspired by the cover of the June 1946 Ladies Home Journal), Swizzle Script (a script based on Stylescript, 1940, Sol Hess: compare with Coronet and Trafton), New England (script), Madfont (after MAD magazine's logo), Quince (a brush version of Klumpp's Murray hill), Plumber's Gothic, Gamera.
- Fonts made in 2006: Humdinger (comic book lettering), Stella Dallas (a Koch Antiqua style typeface based on he hand-lettered titles of the film Stella Dallas), Foam Light, Mean 26 Sans, Mean 26 Serif, Gaudi, Lapis Lazuli (3 calligraphic fonts based on Dan X. Solo's Papyrus), Garden, Boston Line and Philadelphia Line (inspired by Boston Line Type, developed in the 1830s by Samuel Gridley Howe for use in raised-letter printing for the blind; the Philadelphia Line fonts were inspired by another raised-print font, this one developed by Julius Friedlander and adopted in 1837 by his Philadelphia school, now the Overbrook School for the Blind), Honeymoon (a script based on the Holiday Inn lettering), Blooper and Bloop Script (after Cooper Black and Brush Script), Roman monograms.
- Fonts made in 2005: Don Semiformal, Fabulous Prizes, Valentin (inspired by the work of Valentin Haüy, creator of the first books for the blind), Chelt Press (a grungy Cheltenham), National Debt, Pub Smooth (followed in 2007 by Pub Bites), Baronial Monograms, Vine Monograms, Thaleia (revival of Thalia), Harold's Monograms Bold, Blockograms, CarmenMonograms, Profiler, Goya, Jest, Chaser, Rebus (dingbats), Dilemma, The Birds, CVelestial Alphabet.
- Fonts made in 2004: Snowflake Monograms, Upbeat Demi, Pessima, White Birch, Artistamp, Entwined Monograms, Project, Dirty Finger, Koch Dingbats, Yard Sale, Shield Monograms, Gainsborough (inspired by the hand-lettered titles of the Alfred Hitchcock film "The Lady Vanishes", 1938), Jim Dandy (an interpretation of the 19th century typeface Jim Crow), Gaumont (based on the hand-lettered titles of the film The 39 Steps (1935), a Gaumont-British Picture, directed by Alfred Hitchcock), Imitation2, Sunset, Bend It, Pretz, Cantabile, Echo, Skidz, Columbia Stamp, Trudeau Sans (a companion of his architectural typeface Trudeau), Frank the Architect (2004, a Frank Ching-inspired typeface not unlike Tekton).
- Fonts made in 2003: Card Characters, Pieces, Harlequin, Hexagrams&Octograms, Popstars, Level, Peace, Collegiate Monograms, Bead Chain, Marquee.
- Fonts made in 2002: Level, Backhand Brush, Joggle, Script Monograms, Brickletter, Font Shui (oriental simulation), Heartland (for Valentine's day), Melodymaker (for music), Antiestablishment, Penmanship, RingTV, Cabaletta (now called Roosevelt), Graceful Ghost (caps based on an 18th century French design by Pouget&fils), the Ixat family (grunge fonts), PalimpsestBlack (grunge font), PalimpsestDark, PalimpsestLight, PalimpsestRegular, Pearlie, Repent (based on the work of American folk artist Jesse Howard), WillingRace (upper and lower case together).
- Fonts made in 2001: Carmen Caps, Crazy Harold (2001, based on a font of the same name, as illustrated in Paul E. Kennedy's "Modern Display Alphabets"; extended to 8 weights in 2006), Easter Parade (brush script), Famous Label (pen lettering), FLORES (based on a florist's sign in Valencia, Spain), FONT ERROR, Guadalupe (Mexican simulation face), GuadalupeDos, HMBlackDiamondThree, HMBlackDiamondTwo, HMBlackOvalThree, HMBlackOvalTwo, HMWhiteDiamondThree, HMWhiteDiamondTwo, HMWhiteOvalThree, HMWhiteOvalTwo, Handmedown, Hymn, KaffeehausNeon (based on Kaufmann), PubSmooth (a variant of the classic font Publicity Gothic), Roselyn (a script font based on a font in "Lettering and Alphabets" by John Albert Cavanagh), RubaiyatDoubleLine, RubaiyatEngraved, RubaiyatInline, RubaiyatOutline, RubaiyatShadow, RubaiyatSolid, SanitaryBoldCaps, SanitaryDemi, SanitaryRegular, Shazi, ShaziGhost, Subtext (grunge font).
- Fonts made in 2000: Arrobatherapy, Barbeque, Black Oval Monogram, Bruce Mikita (oriental simulation), Bruce Mikita2, Cantabile, CantabileAlternate, Celestial Alphabet, the Goya family (extrapolated from the logo of the GOYA food products company), King Harold (inspired by the lettering on the Bayeux Tapestry), KingXmas, KingXmasStars, KochQuadratFill, KochQuadrat, KochQuadratGuides, KochQuadratInline, KochQuadratOutlines, Koch Rivoli, Lab Rat, Law School (based on the architectural lettering at Albany Law School, Albany, NY, now named Trudeau, after a design by architect Robert Louis Trudeau), Milky Way (based on a style of hand lettering by Ross F. George included in 1930s Speedball lettering books), MilkyWayTwo (2001), Neurotoxin, Pharmacy, Punchhappy (holes in letters, influenced by Apostrophe's Toolego?), Punchhappy Shadow, Quarterround, Quarterround Tile (a kitchen tile font), RedCircle (based on the lettering on Eight O'Clock brand coffees), Ringpin, ScarletRibbons (inspired by a Speedball lettering book from the 30s by Ross F. George), Screwball (font in memory of Madeline Kahn), Solemnity (an uncial font modeled on the analog font SOLEMNIS by Günter Gerhard Lange, 1952), ThreePartySystemA, ThreePartySystemB, ThreePartySystemC, Vasarely (named in honor of Op artist Victor Vasarely; based on a modular font by Jean Larcher).
- Fonts made in 1999: BrideOfTheMonsterStencil, Bubble Gum Rock A and B (1999-2002), CheltPressDark, CheltPressDarkVariegated, CheltPressLigh, CheltPressLightVariegated, CheltPress, Esquivel, EsquivelEngraved, Fulton Artistamp, MADFONT, Smellvetica, SmellveticaOutline, Vedette Blanche (movie roll font), VedetteNoire.
- Fonts made in 1998: BrideOfTheMonster (caps and numbers are based on Rudolph Koch's Neuland), Cheapskate family, Dominican (coffee bean bag font), Landmark, OldeChicago (based on the Apple Chicago font), Ricecakes, SavingsBond extended in 2006 to National Debt, National Debt Hilite and National Debt 3D), StampAct, StampActJumbled, Thanksgiving, Virile Open, Virile Solid.
- Typefaces from 2011: Bingo Dingo (dingbats inspired by the classic Mexican board game, Lotería), ManuCrypt (blackletter), Waldorf Text (blackletter).
- Typefaces from 2012: Albanita (date unclear though), Curator (a compact handwriting font), Seafare (circus style face), Hardline (op art prismatic style), London (inspired by London, Susan Kare's bitmap-style Olde English designed for Apple in the early 1980s. Variations include cross-stitch, harlequin (black and white diamonds), and shaded (diagonal lines)).
- Typefaces from 2015: Gilded Age (inspired by the opening titles of the 1952 French film Casque d'Or.
- Typefaces from 2016: Bluelakehawk (with Jason Martinez, inspired by Southwest Pueblo pottery patterns and tribal art).
Link at Dafont. . Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Harry Potter fonts
Sollentuna, Sweden-based creator (b. 1973) of Chateau de Garage (2016, a heavy slab serif), King of Rome (2016, heavy wedge serif), Backboard Outline (2016, athletic lettering), Jollysight Sans (2016), Horseback Slab (2016), Playoff (2016), Bellet (2016, Peignotian, caps only), Strejka (2016, grungy and hand-crafted), Promenade de la Croisette (2016, a condensed all caps movie credit font), Fogle Hunter (2016, a tall-ascender antiqued treasure map typeface), Ground Control (2016, a techno typeface), Hello Euroboy (2016), I Am A Rock (2016), the condensed hand-crafted typeface Tamales (2015), Discoteca Rounded (2016), Entschuldigung (2016, squarish sans), Discoteca (2016, rounded sans), Mouthpiece (2016), the Peignotian typeface Nizza (2016), the athletic lettering font Be True To Your School, and the narrow hand-crafted Stem Panini (2016). [Google]
Designer who used FontStruct in 2008 to create I Love U Joined (letters in hearts), New Minimal, I Love U Black, I Love U BnW, I Love U 2 Seperated, I Love U 2, Marbles Light, I Love U, BATMANia (the Batman font), Traffic Light (billboard light font), Marbles Dark (dot matrix), the fat octagonal typeface Strong Simple and the stencil typeface Break It. Additions in 2009: Strong Simple, I Lov U 2, Recursive. Additions in 2010: Tiles. [Google]
Small Danish font archive: dingbats, movie fonts, game fonts, fantasy fonts. [Google]
French archive of truetype fonts associated with movies and television shows. [Google]
Homorakhn (1997) is an anonymous font that is said to be the Spiderman movie font. Unknown designer. [Google]
UK-based creator (b. 1975) of the poster typeface Ice Station Awesome (2011), Bright Young Things (2011), and the scratchy hand Yellow Back Radio (2011). John Wayne Ford (2014) is a poster typeface based on the ads for The Train Robbers. Cinder (2014) is a poster typeface.
Dafont link. [Google]
[Dan M. Zadorozny]
Born in Philadelphia and a resident of Texas, Dan Zadorozny's creations at Iconian. He is a prolific type designer who specializes in techno and sci-fi typefaces. Dafont link. Fontsy link. Abstract Fonts link. Font Squirrel link. His fonts in alphabetical order:
- #44 font (2002), 00Starmap (2001, pixel font), 1968 Odyssey (2016), 1st Cav (2008), 2-Tech, 21 Gun Salute (2013), 2nd Amendment (2007, guns), 2nd Amendment 2050 (2009, more gun silhouettes), 2Toon, 300 Trojans (2008, comic book family), 4114 Blaster (2008, futuristic), 5th Agent (2008, techno), 7th Service (2002), 8th Element (2013), 911Porscha, 98 Bottles of Beer (2016).
- Achilles, Action-Men (2008), Action Women (2008, female outlines), Aegis (2010, Greek simulation family), Aetherfox (2013), AirCobra (2002), Aircruiser (2011, trekkie family), AirForce (planes and copters), Airstrike (2013), Airstrip One (2003), Aldo's Moon, Aldo's Nova, Alexis (2001), Alien League, Alpha Men (2015), Alpha Sentry, Alpha Taurus (2007, octagonal, athletic lettering), Amalgam, Americorps (2012), Anakefka (2009, ultra-fat family), Annapolis (2016), Antietam (2015), Antikythera (2013, Greek simulation face), Antilles (2009, sans family), Argosy, Arilon (2008), Army Rangers (2013, octagonal), Assassin Nation (2015, scary and perhaps referring to the "tradition" of school shootings in the USA), Astropolis (2009), Atlantia (2012, futuristic), Avenger (2008, futuristic).
- Babes&Bond (2009, erotic silhouettes), Babe-alicious (2002, erotic outlines), Bad Robot (2007, computer game look), Bal-Astaral, Bamf (2011, techno family), Banshee Pilot (2016), Battlefield, Battleworld (2016), Beam Rider, Beam Weapon (2015), Beastian (2011), Ben Zion (2008, Hebrew simulation), Berserker (2008, grunge), Beta Biergärten (2008), Bio-disc, Bio-discSolid, Bio-discThin, Bionic Comic (2002), Bionic Type (2002), Birds of a Feather (2007, dingbats), Black Bishop (2015), Block, Blood Crow (2009), Bloodlust (2011, dripping blood face), Blue July (2009), Body Swipers (2014, Halloween font), Bog Beast (2013), Boomstick (2015), Borgsquad (2014, mechanical/octagonal), Brin Athyn (2008, uncial/Celtric), Bronic (2004), Bubble Butt (2014, bubblegum typeface), Buddy Champion (2015), Bummer (2007, octagonal), Bushido (2008, oriental simulation), Butch and Sundance (2013), Buttons the Bear (2008, children's hand), Byte Police.
- Capella (2011, a wide techno family), CasperComics, Centaurus (2015), Chardin Doihle (2008), a useful informal handprinting family), Charlemagne, Charlie's-Angles, Cheyenne Hand (2008), Christendom, Clubber Lang (2013, grungy), Cobalt Alien (2015), C.O.D.E.R. (2012), Colossus (2011, old chipped stone look), ComicBookCommando, ComicFX, Commonwealth, Concielian, Concielian Break (2015), Concielien Jet (2015), Corinthian, Count Suckula (2015, horror font), Covert Ops (2012, army stencil), Coyote Deco (2007, art deco), Crappity-Crap-Crap (2007), Creepy Crawlers (2015, horror font), Crime Syndicate (2013), Crixus (2011, a squarish sans that includes an athletic lettering style), Cro-Magnum (2003), CryUncial, Cyberdyne (2016), Cyberia (like Soviet: neat Russian imitation letters), Cyborg Rooster (2015), Cyrus The Virus (2012, grungy, hand-printed).
- DS Man, Daedalus (2008), Daemonicus (2012), Dameron (2016), Danger Flight (2015), Dan Stargate (2008), Dan'sHand, Dark Alliance (2014), Dark Horse (nice brush font), Darkwind, Dassault (2013), Deathblood (2014, Halloween font), Dekaranger (2015), Delta Ray, Demon Priest (2013), Department-K, DepartmentH, Deranian (2008), Detonator, Devil Summoner (2014), DiegoCon (2004), Digital Desolation (2014), Ding-o-saurs (2007), Direktor (2008, Cyrillic simulation techno), Dire Wolf (2013), Disco-Dork, Disco Deck (2005), Disco Duck, Discotechia (2015), Dodger, Dotcom (2002), Drafting Board (2008), Drafting Table (2008), Dragon Order (oriental simulation), Dread Ringer (2015), Drid Herder (2002), Drive (2015, techno font), Droid-Lover (2008), Drosselmeyer (my favorite).
- Eagleclaw (2009), Eaglemania, Eagle Strike (2015), Earthrealm (2013), Earthshake (2013), Earth's Mightiest (2002), East West (2015, constructivist), Eco-files, Eldebaran (2012), Elder Magic (2009), Election Day (2009), Emissary (2014, sci-fi), Empire Crown (2011, blackletter), Enduro, Ensign Flandry, Ephesian (2007), Eridanus (2015, octagonal / mechanical), Erin Go Bragh (2009, Celtic/uncial), Escape Artist (2015), Eskindar (2013), Eternal Knight (2013), Eurofighter (2015), EverettSteele'sHand, Excelerate, Excelsior, Excelsior Comics, Exedore (2008), Exoplanet (2013, techno), Extechchop (2005).
- Factor (2016), Falconhead, Falcon Punch (2015), Famous Spaceships (2007), FantasticCreatures, Fantazian (2003), Fantom (2009, bad handwriting), Federal Escort (2014), Federal Service (2011), Federapolis (2008, octagonal techno face), Fedyral, Fedyral-II, Feldercarb (2003, octagonal font), Ferret Face (2013), Fiddler's Cove (2012), Fight Kid (2009), First Order (2001), Flash Rogers (2016), Flesh Eating Comic (2013, grunge), Flight Corps (2008, techno/pixelish), FlyingLetaherneck (2002), Force Majeure, Foucault (2014, uncial), Frank-n-Plank (2013, a wooden plank font), Freakfinder (2014: Halloween font), Free-Agent (2008), Freedom Fighter (2013, stencil), From Bond With Love (2014: military stencil), FunnyPages, Future Forces (2015), Futurex Grunge (2005).
- Galactic Storm (2014), Galant, Galaxy-1 (2008), Galaxy Far Far Away (2009, futuristic dingbat font), Galaxy Force (2014), Galga (2008, futuristic), Gamma Sentry, Gemina (2011, sci-fi / techno family), Gemina2 (2013), Generation Nth, Gentleman Caller (2014), GeoBats (2007), Gearhead (2013, octagonal), Ghost Clan (2014), GI Incognito (2012), Global Dynamics (2014), Goalie (2008, hockey mask alphading), Gods of War, Gotharctica (2015, blackletter for horror flicks), Governor, Grand National (2015), Grand Sport (2015), Graymalkin (2011, trekky), Grease Gun (2012), Grendel's Mother, Grim Ghost (2013), Grimlord (2009), Guardian (2008), Guardian-Laser (2008), Guardian-Pro (2008), Guardian-Shadow (2008), Gunner Storm (2015), Gunship, Gunship V2 (2002), Gypsy Killer (2013), Gyrfalcon.
- Hadriatic (2008, roman lettering), Half Elven (2013), Halfshell Hero (2013), Hall of Heroes (2007), Halo, Han Solo (2013), Harrier (2002), Hawkmoon (2011), Hello Copters (2013: helicopter dingbats), Heorot (2009, stone age fonts), Heroes Assemble (2011), Heroes Assemble Dingbats (2014: all Avenger characters), Highrise Heaven (2007, city skyline dingbats), Hip Pocket (2014: psychedelic), Hollow Point (2015), Holly Dingle (2015), Holy Empire, Homemade-Robot, Holo Jacket (2016), Homeworld (2003), Homeworld Translator (2003), Hong Kong Hustle (2015), Horroroid (2015), Horroween (2013, Halloween font), Hulkbusters, Hydro Squad (2014), Hypno Agent.
- Iapetus (2014, sci-fi), Icebox Art (2012), IWantMyTTR!, Iconian (2002), Iconified, Illuminati, Illumino (2016), Imaginary Forces (2008, mythical dingbats), Imperial Code (2003, Startrek style face), Imperium, Incubus, Incubus-Italic (2008), Incubus-Shadow (2008), Infinity Formula (2003, super techno), Infobubble, Inhumanity (2014), I-House Edition (2014), Interceptor (2008), Interdiction (2012), International Super Hero (2002), Intrepid, Iron-Cobra (2008), Iron Forge (2012).
- Jack's Candlestick (2013), Jackson, Jannisaries, Jedi Special Forces (2012), Jerusalem (1999, Hebrew font simulation)[see also here], Jetta, JettaTech, Jetway (2012, a stencil face), Johnny Torch (2012), Judge, Judge Hard, Justice (2009), Jumptroops (2003-2015), Justinian.
- Kahless, KameraDings (2009), KarateChop (2009), Kartoons (2008), Katana, Kennebunkport (2013, script), Keystone (pixel font), Khazad-Dum (2011), Kid Cobalt (2008, comic book face), Kinex, King Commando (2011), King's Ransom, KnightsTemplar, Knock Furious (2003, dingbats), Kobold (2008, futuristic), Kondor (2013), Kountry Kodes (2008, international license plate lettering), Kovacs-Spot, Kovacs, Kreeture (2002), Kubrick (2008).
- Lamprey (2012, techno family), LandShark (2001), LandWhale (2001), Laredo Trail (2013, a Western face), Laserian, Law and Order (2005, dingbats), League Wars (2013, sci-fi stencil), Leatherface (2013), LegalTender, Legion, Lethal (2014), Liberty Island (2013, sci-fi), Liberty Legion (2015), Lightsider (2011, Star Trekkish family), Lincoln Lode, Livewired (2015, sci-fi), Lionel (2009), Low Gun Screen (2008, a totally square screen type family), Lincoln Chain, Lionheart, Lobo-Tommy (2008), Lord of the Sith, Loveladies, Low Gun Screen (2008, screen face).
- Machiavelli, Mad Marker, Magic Beans (2007), Major Force (2016), Marathon-II, Marathon, Marsh Thing (2014, Halloween font), Masked Marvel (2002), Masterdom (2004), Merri Christina (2015, children's hand), Metal Storm 3D (2008), Metronauts (2013), Metroplex, MetroplexLaser, MetroplexShadow, Michaelmas, Michigan (2015), Micronian (2009, pixelish headline family), Milk Bar (2003), Micronian (2008, extensive pixel-based family), Military-RPG (2008), Mindless Brute (2015), Missile Man (2002, futuristic), Miss Amanda Jones (2004, brush style), Mobile Infantry, Modi Thorson (2013, techno), Monsterama (2011, scary face), Montroc (2015: squarish and varsity style), Moon Dart (2008), Morse Kode, MorseNK, Movie Gallery (2008, dingbats), Mrs. Monster (2013, Halloween brush font), Mystery Mobile (2015), Mystic Singler (2008, rough brush face).
- Nathan Brazil (2013, art deco), National Express (2003), Native Alien, Nemesis Enforcer (2013), Neo-Geo (like the letters on the Neon cars), Neo Navy (2015), Neuralnomicon, New Mars (2015), New York Escape (2015), Nextwave (2014), Nick Turbo (2001), NifeFite, NifeFiter, NifeFites, Nightchilde (2013), Nightrunner (2008, sci-fi), Nightwraith (2011, techno family), Ninjas (2002), Nobody's Home (2014: poster font), NoloContendre, Northstar (2014), Nostromo, Nuevo Passion (2013), Nyet (2002, Soviet letter simulation).
- Oberon, Oberon-Deux, Obsidiscs (2003, dingbats), Oceanic Drift (2013), October Guard (2013, Cyrillic simulation face), Odinson (2007, runes), Oh Mighty Isis (2014, Greek simulation family), Olympicons (2003), Omega 3 (2010, futuristic), Omega Force (2013, octagonal / mechanical), Omega Sentry, OmniGirl (2003, techno), Opilio (2012), Opus Magnus (2013, metal band font), Opus Mundi (2015), Oramac (2004), Ore Crusher (2013), Outlands-Truetype (2001), Outrider (2013), Overstreet Bible (2014, hand-printed), Ozda (2011, a fat techno family with several horizontally striped styles), Ozymandias.
- Psyonic VII (2012), Paladins (2015), Pandemonious Puffery (2002), Parker's Hand (2002, handwriting), Perdition, Peregrine, Phaser Bank (2008, techno), Philadelphia, Philly Dings (2003), Phoenicia (2015), Piper Pie (2007), Pistoleer (2011), Planet N (2016), Planet S, Planet X, Player 1 Up (2012: architectural family), Pocket Ball (2016, dot matrix style), Police Cruiser (2013), Postmaster, Power Lord (2011), Presley-Press (2007), Press Darling (2012), Procyon, Prokofiev (2009, rounded and squarish), Promethean (2008), Protoplasm, Prowler (2013), Pseudo Saudi (1999, Arabic simulation), Psycho Butcher (2014, ransom note font), PuffAngel, Pulse Rifle (2009), Pyrabet.
- QTs (2013: erotic silhouettes), Quake-&-Shake, Quantum of Malice (2013), Quark Storm (2013), Quarrystone (2015), Quartermain (2002), Quasitron (2009, futuristic), Quatl (2002, an Inca font), Queen&Country (2009), Quest Knight (2009), Questlok, Quicken (2013, horizontal stencil), Quickening (2014), QuickGear, Quickmark (2004), QuickQuick, QuickStrike, QuickTech, Quill Sword (2016: soft blackletter style).
- RCMP, RadZad, Radio-Space, Raise Your Flag (2013), Realpolitik, Rebecca, Rebel Command (2012, Star Trek family), Redcoat (2008, blackletter), Redline (2015), Red Rocket (2011, techno), Regulators, Renegado (2014), Replicant, Repulsor (2013, pixelish), Rhalina (2011, a nice upright script), Righteous Kill (2009), Robotaur (2008), Rocket Junk, Rocket Type (2002), Rogue-Hero, Roid Rage (2003), Ro'Ki'Kier (2008), Rosicrucian (2009, stone age font), Rubber Boy (2013, poster font family).
- Sable Lion (2002), Sagan (2008, futuristic), Scarab, ScarabScript, Sci-Fi (2008), SDF (2013), Sea-Dog, Searider-Falcon (2008), Secret Files (2011), Sever, Shablagoo (2015: thick creamy poster font), Shining Herald (2013), Singapore Sling (2014), SisterEurope, Skirmisher (2014), Skyhawk (2014), Sky Marshal (2015), Snubfighter (2009, sci-fi), Soldier (2011), Sound FX (2003), Soviet, Space Cruiser, Space Junker, Space Ranger (2013), Spartaco (2016), Speedwagon (2015), SPQR (2008, grunge roman), Spy Agency (2012), Spy Lord (2001), Starduster (2011), Star Eagle (2014), Starfighter, Star Navy (2009: dingbats), Stranger Danger (2014: grunge), Strikelord (2011, trekkie family), Stuntman, Subadai Baan (2013), Super Commando (2015), Super Soldier (2014, silhouettes), SuperUltra911, Superago (2002).
- Talkies (2008, dingbats), Tarrget (2013, based on the Tekken "Tag Tournament" logo), Taskforce (2008), Tauro (2012), Team America (2014), Tele-Marines, Terra Firma, Terran, Texas, Texas2, TheRifleman, The Shire (2009), The Shooter (2012: gun dingbats), Texas Ranger (2014: Western font), Thundergod, Thundergod II (2013), Thunder-Hawk (2011, an aviation techno face), Tigershark (2013), Timberwolf (2011), Time Warriors (2007), Tokyo Drifter (2016), Tool (2012, dingbats of tools), Toon Town Industrial (2005, comic book font), Tower Ruins (2014: stencil), Tracer (2015), Trajia (2008, a techno/stencil/athletic lettering family), TransAmerica (2015), Traveler (2008), Travelicons (2009), Travesty (2003, scrawly handwriting), Trek Trooper (2008, Startrek font), Trigger Man (2013, octagonal and mechanical), Trireme (2011, Star trek family), Tristram (2008, uncial), Troopers (2011, futuristic), Trueheart (2009, Celtic), Tussle (2002), Typeecanoe (hand-printed), Typhoon (2013).
- Uberholme, Uberholme Lazar (2001), UFO Hunter (2009), Ultra 911, Ultramarines (2013), Underground Rose (2014, connect-the-dots), Union Gray (2015), Unisol, United Palanets (2014), UniversalJack, Uno Estado (2009, constructivist), U.S.A., USArmy, US Army II (2013), US Marshal (2012), US Navy (2007), U.S.S. Dallas (2008), Usuzi.
- Valerius (2009, uncial), Valkyrie (2008), Valley Forge (2008), Vampire Games (2001), VariShapes (2001), Vicious Hunger (2014, grunge), VideoStar, Vigilante Notes (2003), Viking Squad (2015, stencil), Vilmos Magyar, Vindicator (2012, techno), Virgin Hybrid (2014), voxBOX, Voortrekker Pro (2009: octagonal and athletic lettering family), Vorpal (2012: sci-fi stencil face), Vorvolaka (2013), Voyage Fantastique (2013), VX Rocket (2014, fat octagonal face), Vyper (2008, futuristic stencil).
- War Eagle (2009), Warlock's Ale (2014), War Machine, War Priest (2012), Warp Thruster (2013: military or Star Trek stencil), Warrior Nation (2011), Wars of Asgard (2009), Watchtower (2012), Weaponeer (2008, military lettering), Were-Beast (2008), Westdelphia (2015, blackletter), Western Rail (2015), Wet Works (2013, grungy stencil), Whatafont, Ensign Flandry (2003), Whiskey Bravo (2003), Whovian (2015, scanbats of all Dr. Who characters owned by the British Broadcasting Corporation), Wildcard (2011, Star trek family), Wimp Out (2004), Wolf Brothers (2015), Wolf's Bane (+II, +Super-Extended, 2013), Woodgod (2013), Worldnet (great wordly O), Write Off, Writer's-Block, WyldStallyns.
- Xaphan (2003), XCryption (1999, a hacker face), X-Fighters (2014), XPED, Xcelsion (2002), Xenophobia, Xephyr, Xeppelin (2005, zeppelin dingbats), X-Grid (2008), Xiphos (2007), Xmas Xpress (2013), Xoxoxa, X-Racer (2012).
- Yahren, Yama Moto (2009: oriental simulation), Yankee Clipper (2011), Yay USA (2013), Year 2000, Year3000 (2001), Yellow Jacket (2002), Y-Files (2016), Yiroglyphics (2004), Yorstat (oriental simulation), Younger Brothers (2014), Young Frankenstein (2013), Youngtechs (2008, futuristic), Yukon Tech.
- Za's Vid (2001, pixel font), Zado (2002, dot-matrix font), Zakenstein (2011, caps only grunge), Zamboni Joe (2002, hand-printed)), Zealot (2008), Zee Lance, Zen Masters (2002, pixelish), Zeta Sentry (2009, techno/futuristic), Zollern (2013), Zombie Control (2013: a bloody paint drip face), Zone Rider, Zoologic (2009, animal dingbats), Zyborgs, Zymbols.
During her studies, Recife, Brazil-based Ingrid Fraga created Cine (2015), a counterless typeface inspired by 1920s movie theater lettering. [Google]
Located in Valladolid, Spain, Iñes Ortega designed the typeface Falcon (2014) based on the logo of the movie The Maltese Falcon (2014). He also created the elegant display typeface April (2014). [Google]
Creator of the spiky spurred tattoo typeface Inumocca (2012), Longhorn (2014), the spurred vintage typefaces Gedung State Art Deco (2014, a spurred Victorian typeface inspired by the Gedung building in Bandung), Long Horn (2014), Lemonade (2014, signage script), Iorek Byrnison (2014, based on the movie The Golden Compass) and Empire Wars (2013), Morning Glory (2013, spurred Tuscan Victorian typeface), England (2013, spurred 19th century style), InuTattoo (2013), and InuMocca Belut Listrik (2013).
Typefaces from 2015: Kathleen (hand-crafted), Akiko (sans), Kiota (spurred sans), House of Glory, Day After End (pure Victoriana), Summers (hand-crafted), Carters (spurred, steampunk style), House of Glory (a hand-lettered family with substyles called Kiota and Akiko), Oldiez, Yellow Orange, Flamboyan (vintage signage type).
Behance link. Creative Market link. Dafont link. [Google]
Iryna Rud-Volha (Kiev, Ukraine) created the angular Latin / Cyrillic typeface Malanka (2013) for the documentary film Krasna Malanka. [Google]
Monterrey, Mexico-based creator of Amaneze (a free grotesk headline typeface in .ai format), and Digit All (2012, a free circuit board-inspired typeface). His web presence is called Xplaye.
Javier Mateos created TRON Legacy (2011) after the final credits of the successful 2010 movie. Free EPS format download.
Behance link. Another Behance link. [Google]
Designer who has his fonts at "The Price is Right Font Archive": EggCrate (1999, dot matrix letters), RangeGame (1999), SportsType (1999, squarish letters), VaneI (1999, only LED-style numbers). [Google]
Jayvee D. Enaguas
Jayvee lives in Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia, and was born in 1996. Known as Grand Chaos, he also calls himself Nippon Central Fontmaster, NipCen Hacks Incorporated, and SMWCNC, and uses the abbreviation NC in some of his fonts.
Home page. Dafont link. Devian tart link. Another Devian Tart link. And yet another Devian Tart link. FontStruct link.
In 2009, he made Reality Pursuit NC.
In 2010, he created the hand-printed typefaces Retrieve NC, NipCen's Print, NipCen's Handwriting, CartoonicMassive, CartoonicMassive3D, CartoonicMassiveCollage, CartoonicMassiveWacky, Cartonsix NC, and Basic Comical (a take on Comic Sans). Other 2010 typefaces include Retroville NC (pixel), Matthan Sans (mechanical sans), Monkirta Pursuit NC (squarish face), AeromaticsSmallCapsNC (techno), DynoNC (octagonal, techno), MatrixComplex3DNC (dot matrix face), MatrixComplexNC, MatrixComplexWaveNC, SpotlightTypewriterNC, SuplexmentaryComicNC, Coyotris (hand-printed), SMWTextNC (pixel family), and AeromaticsNC (angular face).
In 2011, he made Neon Teocho NC (a techno face), Burbin Casual (2011, a casual sans face), Curse Casual (2011), Squaren Daren NC (2011, constructivisit), Hauracherell NC (2011, a movie lettering font based on "Senorella and the Haurache", 1961), Burvetica (2011, grungy), Allegre Sans (2011), 8bitoperator JVE (2011, pixel typeface done at FontStruct), The 2K12 (2011, dot matrix face, FontStruct), and Big Bimbo (2011, hand-printed).
Typefaces from 2012: Minercraftory, New Era Casual (based on Dom Casual, 1951), Splendid Plan 9 (headline all-caps sans face), Aeromatics (inspired by Plan 9 from Outer Space), Destroyed Aero, Aeromatics Stencil, That's Font Folks (after the famous That's All Folks of Looney Tunes fame, 1930s), Dyno Sans, Stanberry (hand-printed), Pixisma (techno), Ander Hedge (octagonal), Jengle Jungallery, Freedom, Freeroad, Receiptional Receipt (dot matrix), Dimbo, Capital Daren, Tepeno Sans, Kemco Smooth, Kemco Pixel, Slabby Pices (an Egyptian), Mattelit (pixel typeface based on a Mattel game font from 1979), Barthowheel (comic book font), Minecraftory (pixel face).
Typefaces from 2013: Moder DOS 437 (pixel face), Telespania (pixel face: Telespania is a monospaced pixel font, based from Teletext 1.5 for TVE (Television Espanola) in Spain or other services in Austria, Germany and Portugal), Sanidana (squarish), Santitechtro (a sans), Sanitrixie, Soniano Sans (octagonal), Magzetician, Grand9K Pixel (pixel face), Deluxe16 (pixel face), Polentical Neon (octagonal), Nechao Sharp (octagonal face), Magzetician (alien writing simulation), Saniretro.
Typefaces from 2014: Reality Hyper (octagonal). [Google]
American multimedia artist. Designer of the cartoonish dingbat font Decanter (1999), the spindly gothic typeface Fiddums Family, the fat typeface Casper, and of Godfather (2001, after the film). In 2010, he created TR2N, a futuristic typeface based upon the poster text for the TRON LEGACY movie.
Dafont link. Klingspor link. Home page. Devian tart link. [Google]
Jeff Kahn is a professional designer with expertise in brand identity, logo and logotype design, and packaging design. Some of his clients include Landor & Associates, Proctor & Gamble, Sierra Club, Revlon, Purina, Hewlett Packard, IBM, TaylorMade, and Hyatt Hotels. Jeff graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BFA, where Doyald Young was his teacher. He is located in Santee, CA.
In 2012, he created Touch Tone Extra Condensed Light, and wrote: Touch Tone introduces a condensed lowercase and oblique italics to the uppercase font inspired by the Dr. Strangelove movie titles designed by Pablo Ferro. Touch Tone's naive hand-drawn strokes rely on a quirky variable width-brush. They are looser, more textured, tactile, more informal, with quirky nervous lines.
Typefaces from 2013: Sedona.
In 2014, Jeff published the rounded organic sans typeface Cushy (2014). [Google]
[Jeff Levine: Stencil typefaces]
[Jeff Levine: Art Deco Typefaces]
[Jeff Levine: Additional typefaces]
Jeff Levine: Additional typefaces
This is a list of fonts by Jeff Levine not categorized anywhere else on my pages.
- A: Adelanto JNL (2009), Adhesive Letters JNL (2011), Adhesive Serif Letters JNL (2015), Afternoon Edition JNL (2015), Aisle Seats JNL (2006, based on letters cut by the Redikut Letter Company of Hawthorne, CA), Album Cover JNL (2008), Alleway JNL (2012, a condensed sans), Allograph JNL (2007), Alphacal JNL (2008, outlined, and like Juneway JNL, based on water-applied decals once made by the Duro Decal Company (now Duro Art Industries) of Chicago), Alton JNL (2010: a bold display sans), Amateur Printer JNL (2007, grunge), Ampersorts JNL (2011: ampersands), And So Forth JNL (2011), Anecdote JNL (2009), Arcaro JNL (2013, a calligraphic typeface based on the movie credits of the ABC TV series Naked City, 1958-1963, starring detective Frank Arcaro), Arch Creek JNL (2010, an all caps revival of Beton), Ardball (2006), Art Deco Monograms JNL (2015), Arte Critique JNL (2009), Artist Colony JNL (2009), Arts District JNL (2014), Art Student JNL (2010), Astrospy JNL (2008: techno), Awkward Gothic JNL (2008), Axelby JNL (2013).
- B: Backpage Article JNL (2010), Bal Harbour JNL (2008), Balcony Seats JNL (2007, narrow retro sans), Barricade (2011, a great shadowed caps face), Bayview JNL (2008, based on Inland Type Foundry's Studley), Best Bet JNL (2014, a slab serif redesign of Beton), Bike Decals JNL (2008), Billing and Shipping JNL (2010), Bingo Player JNL (2010), Birch Beer JNL (2008), Bit Player JNL (extra-condensed tall poster font) (2015), Bloktor Mosaik JNL (2007), Blue Parrot (2006), Bluesman JNL (2014: based on the lettering of the the blues album "I'm Jimmy Reed" released on the legendary Vee-Jay label out of Chicago), Bonehead JNL (2013, bones), Box Lunch JNL, Brass Rail JNL (2015), Brazil Nut JNL (2015), Broadcast JNL (2015), Broadletter JNL (2009), Brogado (2006), Brushmark JNL (2011), Bum Steer JNL (2015), Burger Joint (2006), Burger Royale JNL (2007), Business Helpers JNL (2014).
- C: Calendar Blocks JNL (2009), Calling Card JNL (2010), Callouts JNL (2011, in Circle and Square styles; white letters on black background), Canby (2006, a squarish caps face), Candle Wax JNL (2014, based on the movie poster for Bell, Book and Candle starring James Stewart), Cast And Crew JNL (2015, condensed monoline), Cast Shadow JNL (2010), Casual Lunch JNL (2009), Casual Friday JNL (2008, roman lettering), Casual Tune JNL (2015), Catalog Serif JNL (2015), Catch Words JNL (2009), Channel Tuning JNL (1999), Channel Surfing JNL (2010), Charlies Bar BQ JNL (2008, heavy slab serif), Charmer JNL (2014), Chive Turkey JNL (2007), Circuletter JNL (2016), Ciribiribin JNL (2014), Classification JNL (2015), Classroom JNL (2009), Cling Vinyl JNL (2009), Coal Train (2004), Cocktail Hour JNL (2016, a beatnik typeface based on the opening title for the 1962 Blake Edwards film Days of Wine and Roses starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick), Coldfield JNL (2008), Commentary JNL (2010, almost typewriter type---easy on the eye), Concierge JNL (2014), Corkboard JNL (2010: a rounded all caps family), Cornfield JNL (2008), Crown Heights JNL (2007, slab serif caps), Cyberglass (2010, techno), Cybrox JNL (2012, grunge).
- D: Dance Hall JNL (2011), Dance Lesson JNL (2015, a wedge serif in the style of Latin Wide), Dangits JNL (2009), Decal (2006), Deco Of Tomorrow JNL (2014), Deconstructed JNL (2012), Decorative Panels JNL (2009), Deerfield JNL (2006, Bank Gothic style), Desk Jockey JNL (2008), Deskplate JNL (2011), Detention JNL (2007, hand-printed), Diamond Jim (2010), Diamondwood JNL (2015, rhombic), Disclaimer JNL (2010, condensed thin headline face), Display Inline JNL (2009), Displayced (2006, LED font), Display Roman JNL (2014), Do It Yourself JNL (2008), Doo Wop Initials JNL (2007), Doowop (2006), Dormitory Decals JNL (2009), Double Take JNL (2008), Duonor JNL (2010).
- E: Edessa JNL (2009: chiseled stone look, faux Greek), Editorial Comment JNL (2009, grotesk caps-only headline face), Edits and Credits JNL (2008), Elsinor (2006), Endless Journey JNL (2009), Ensemble Inline JNL (2014), Entitled JNL (2007, squarish as in Bank Gothic), Evening Edition JNL (2009), Evening Paper JNL (2015), Expressions (smilies).
- F: Factual JNL (2010,headline face), Fairgrounds (2006), Farragut JNL (2008, hairline geometric), Fastenating JNL (2012, paper clip font), Feltboard JNL (2008), Fence Post JNL (2012), Festival Nights (fancy letters), File Folder JNL (2010, Bank Gothic style family), Film Crew JNL (2009), Fincastle JNL (2011, all caps sans titling face), Flagstaff JNL (2010), Flatbush Beanery (2006), Flipboard JNL (2011), Flivver (2006, a slab-serif display font), Floor Tiles JNL (2009), Florida (2006, retro), Food Vendor JNL (2011), Fordham JNL (2011, all caps slab serif), Frankly Plain JNL and Franky Ornate JNL (2010, all caps typefaces after Franklin Gothic), French Serif Moderne JNL (2009), Freunlaven JNL (2006, psychedelic), Fun and Games (2011, a casual retro typeface redrawn from the lettering found on the cover of a 1935 Speedball Lettering Pen book).
- G: Gene Condensed JNL (2014), Generic Gothic JNL (2013: an interpretation of Franklin Gothic Condensed), Genesee JNL (2010), Gift Wrap JNL (2014), Gilbert JNL (2011, after Eric Gill's sans), Go To Town JNL (casual inline type style) (2015), Greenwich Village JNL (2014), Groovy 3D Caps JNL, Groovy Happening JNL (2005, psychedelic, in the style of Action Is), Groovy Summer (2006, a casual sans), Guadalajara JNL (2014, a Mexican party font), GummedAlphabet JNL (2011), Gummed Letters JNL (2010).
- H: Halavah Twist JNL (2007; see also its extension Zydeco JNL in 2009), Hallandale (2006), Halliday JNL (2013: an outlined typeface based on Beton Open Condensed), Handbills And Posters JNL (2015), Handmade Caslon JNL (2015), Handmade Dropshadow JNL (2010), Handmade Gothic JNL (2011, inspired by lettering samples in a 1941 Speedball Lettering Pen instructional booklet), Handmade Roman JNL (2011), Hand Stamped JNL (2006, rubber stamp look), Hanford (2010, a sans headline family), Hash and Beans JNL (2007), Headstone Roman JNL (2015), Hectonoid JL (2008), Highbrow Cafetorium JNL (2009), Home Room JNL (2009), Horse Puckey JNL (2008), Hoxie JNL (2008).
- I-J: Impressionable JNL (2012, based on a rubber stamp set), Industriality JNL (2015), Informational Gothic (2013: The Wood-Regan Instruments Company (Wrico) of New Jersey manufactured for decades a line of lettering kits called the Wrico Sign Maker. With only special ink pens, plastic templates and a template guide anyone could letter clean, clear signs, posters and notices. This typefaces is based on one of those kits), Initial Seals JNL (2012), Inkpad Letters JNL (2011), Inline Lettering JNL (2011, inspired by the opening title of a classic 1940s horror film, The Invisible Man's Revenge), Innerspring JNL (2015), Interoffice Memo (2011), Intrigue JNL (2014, based on the hand-lettered movie titles from one of the William Powell / Myrna Loy Thin Man series of films), Island Time JNL (2015), Jalopy (2014), Jive Jump (2006), Jobseeker JNL (2011: hand-printed), Juneway (2006, modeled after a set of water-applied decals made by the Duro Decal Company of Chicago), Junior Printer JNL (2015).
- K-L: Katydid JNL (2015, a connect-the-dots typeface), Key Largo JNL (2011, all caps slab serif), Lakeland JNL (2013), Kiddie Blokz JNL (2010), Lamp Post JNL (2012, an interpretation of Post Old Style, ca. 1901), Lasting Impression JNL (2008), Lecture Hall JNL (2012), Lefferts (2006, squarish display face), Les Folies JNL (2009, Victorian), Lettering Pen JNL (2015, hand-crafted), Liebestraum JNL (2014, a decorative caps font), Linem Up (2010), Lobby Card JNL (2010), Longbranch Initials (2006, for decorative monograms), Longacre JNL (2013, fat rounded sans), Long And Thin Initials JNL (2015), Loose Leaf JNL (2010), Love Notes JNL (2011: alphadings), Luminum JNL (2007).
- M: Made in Japan (2014), Mailbox Letters JNL (2008), Mainline JNL (2014), Marble Cutter JNL (2015, based on dies used for stamping text into marble headstones or other monuments manufactured by The Vermont Marble Company (Vermarco), which operated from the 1880s until 1976), Margate JNL (2013, based on water-applied decals manufactured in 1962 by the American Decalcomania Company for Goodyear), Marking Device JNL (2014), Maryland JNL (2014), Matchbook JNL (2014: based on lettering on a matchbook from the Carrousel Restaurant in Miami Beach), Mayville JNL (2009), McCadden JNL (2013, inspired by the hand-lettered credits for the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show [1950-1958]), Meal Ticket JNL (2008, squarish), Merchandiser JNL (2010), Merchandising JNL (2014, brush signage script), Millport (2006, squarish display face), Misdirection JNL (2009), Mixed Messages JNL (2007, ransom note), Mocombo JNL (2010, an African look typeface that is a slightly modified version of one of the numerous alphabets created by the late Alf R. Becker for Signs of the Times Magazine during the period of the 1930s through the 1950s), Model Railroad JNL (2015), Moderator JNL (2013), Modern Appliances JNL (2014), Monoline Rounded JNL (2014), Monthly Meeting JNL (2013), Monthly Newsletter JNL (2011), Morning Paper JNL (2015), Morningside Heights JNL (2015), Morningstar JNL (2012, named after Jeff's friend, Estella Dawn Roberts of Stella Roberts Fonts), Movieland JNL (2008), Movie Night JNL (2011), Moving Message JNL (2015, dot matrix typeface), Musical Arrangements JNL (2014), Musical Score JNL (2015).
- N: Naroid Initials JNL (2010, one of the most ultra-compressed sets of initials available in digital type), Narrow Minded JNL (2014), National Spirit JNL (2009), Newark JNL (2014: a strong slab serif), Newsbreak JNL (2008), Newshawk JNL (2007, a condensed sans), Newsprint JNL (2011), Newsreel Caps JNL (2014), Newsworthy JNL (2011: a condensed headline sans), Nightcap JNL (2011), Nighthawk JNL (2009, a retro headline sans), Nondescript JNL (2012), Nouveau Roundcorner JNL (2015), Nouveau Yorke JNL (2015), Now Playing JNL (2010).
- O: Oblogram JNL (2008, techno), Occidental Tourist JNL (2009), Odditype JNL (2006, computer simulation), Off The Wall JNL (2008).
- P-Q: Park Slope JNL (2014), Parfum de Paris JNL (2014), Paint Store JNL (2006), Parkitechture (2006), Part and Parcel JNL (2009), Partial Eclipse JNL (2012), Patriotica JNL (2011, American flag face), Pavement JNL (2010, based on the extra-condensed lettering used on roadway information signs as revised by the U.S. Government in 2000), Pendraw Roman (2006), Penmanshift JNL (2006, ronde style), Performer JNL (2014, re-drawn from condensed hand lettering found on a piece of vintage sheet music), Personal Note JNL (2011), Picz JNL (2009), Pillow Puff JNL (2008, fluffy and cloud-like lettering), Pistol Twelve JNL (2008), Pitkin JNL (2006, a hand-lettered sans), Plastic Display JNL (2010, sketched from photo examples in an old sales promotion sheet for the Movitex Do-It-Yourself Plastic Sign Kit by Pryor Marking Products of Chicago), Plastic Template JNL (2011), Pleasantville JNL (2012, a condensed slab serif), Pocket Initials JNL (2008), Podunk JNL (2007), Pool Deck JNL (2015), Popstix JNL (2013), Pop Tune JNL (2014), Popularity JNL (2014, after Radiant), Port Of Call JNL (2015), Postal JNL (2009, white on black, as on stamps), Poster Inline JNL (2014), Poster Plain JNL (2012), Prehysteric JNL (2010), Presentation JNL (2011, a slabby family), Press Run JNL (2015, a reinterpretation of the classic typeface Cheltenham Condensed), Pricing Labels JNL (2010), Printed Letters (2006, made from stamped impressions made by a 1940s childrens sign making set), Printing Set JNL (2006, based on a rubber stamp alphabet), Printing Sorts JNL (2009), Prismatiq JNL (2009, shadow face), Promotional Copy JNL (2012), Proofreader JNL (2011, a rounded slab serif face), Prospect Heights JNL (2015), Public Notice JNL (2009), Public Transportation JNL (2008), Public Utility JNL (2012), Public Works JNL (2007: emulates the hand-cut lettering silk screened onto metal), Publication JNL (2010, a revival of DeVinne, 1890), Quick Response JNL (2015, based on QR codes), Quorfid JNL (2010).
- R: Raccoon Coat JNL (2014), Rail Bum JNL (2016, basically Morris Fuller Benton's Hobo with slab serifs added), Record Jacket JNL, Recreation JNL (2013, outlined shadow face), Red Border Labels JNL (2015), Rendering (2011, architectural draftman's lettering), Reprint JNL (2013), Restaurant And Lounge JNL (2015, hand-crafted), Retail Merchant (2006), Retro Resort JNL (2011), Reverberation JNL (2011, horizontally striped face), Reverse Calendar Blocks JNL (2011), Rockaway JNL (2006, titling sans), Roma Initial Caps JNL (2009), Rough Print JNL (2012, rubber stamp lettering), Roundpoint Pen JNL (2011, based on instructional lettering found in an old Speedball Pen textbook), Roughshod (2006), Rural Route JNL (2010), Rustic Inn JNL (2014).
- S: Salad Bar JNL (2013), Sales Pitch JNL (2014), Sales Slip JNL (2013), Same Old English JNL (2010, blackletter), Sandcastle JNL (2011), Sans Poster Bold + 3D, Savings And Loan JNL (2014), School Project JNL (2015, based on self-adhesive poster board letters once made by the E-Z Letter Stencil Company and sold under the name Quik Stik), Sea Cruise JNL (2015), Scoreboard JNL (2014: dot matrix typeface), Screentext JNL (2010, pixel), Second Impression JNL (2008), Sennetarium JNL (2008, after lettering in a Charlie Chaplin movie), Sentzoff Coupon (2006, stitched), Sew What JNL (2010, stitching face), Shareholder JNL (2015), Shelf Numbers JNL (2008), Shicken Zoop JNL (2008, Hebrew), Shipping Carton JNL (2012), Sign and Poster JNL (2009, die-cut letters), Shopkeeper JNL (2010, after a a vintage rubber stamp sign and chart printing set), Sign Template JNL (2015, based on one of the many plastic lettering guides manufactured by the now-defunct Wright-Regan Instrument Company also known as Wrico), Simplicity JNL (2014), Simply Grotesk JNL (2012, Peignotian), Sleuth JNL (2013, after the trailer for the 1936 movie After The Thin Man), Slim Chance JNL (2015, an ultra-narrow font based on an image of vintage packaging for Aquapruf Ear Drum Protectors), Snack Shop JNL (2007, the retro diner look in a bold outline face), Snorkel JNL (2014), Socialite JNL (2009), Soda Fountain JNL (2015, bilined), Solid Serif JNL (2014), Songbook JNL (2014), Song Plugger JNL (2014), Song Publisher JNL (2015), Southwest Serenade JNL (2015), SplintersJL (2004), Sport Shaded JNL (2009), Spring Fashion JNL (2010), Spur Handlettered JNL (2008), Squarity JNL (2008), Stamp of Approval JNL (2007), Stamped Metal JNL (2012, beveled), Starlight Sans, Stellator JNL (2006, a high-tech modular font), Stonecut JNL (2014), Store Tags JNL (2011), Streeter JNL (2013, based on Beton Bold Condensed), Sunlight JNL, Sunny South JNL (2015), Supporting Cast JNL (2011), Swing Band JNL (2013: inspired by the title lettering from "Hi-De-Ho", a 1930s all-black cast film starring legendary bandleader Cab Calloway).
- T: Tabloid Press JNL (2015), Take Charge JNL (2016, based on the opening title card for the 1936 film The Charge of the Light Brigade starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Donald Crisp and David Niven), Tallahassee Chassis JNL (2007, modeled from a toy rubber stamp set imported from Japan), Tall And Narrow JNL (2015), Tamiami JNL (2009, Victorian, known as "Cuba"), Tea Bag JNL (2013), Tea Time JNL (2014), Technerd JNL (2011, a thin technical/mechanical face), Technopen JNL (2013: a rounded techno sans from a 1929 instructional booklet for the Esterbrook Drawlet Pens), Terrace JNL (2015), Terror JNL, That Stuff JNL (2009), Theater Lights JNL (2014), Theatrics JNL (2009, 3d face), Thin Mint JNL (2011), Three Day Pass JNL (2009), Tiler JNL (2012, a gridded face), Title Block Sans JNL (2011, an avant-garde titling face), Too Much Information JNL (2007), Top Billing JNL (2008, dot matrix), Toucan Tango JNL (2007, multiline face), Tough Guy (2006, shaded titling face), Tough Stuff JNL (2008), Toyprint JNL (2009, grunge), Trade Journal JNL (2010), Trade Printer JNL (2007, Victorian-era sans emulation), Transactive JNL (2007, dot matrix), Tribal Council JNL (2011, jungle lettering), Trilium JNL (2010, triline face), Tropicano JNL (2013, a wavy typeface), Tunesmith JNL (2014, Victorian), Twelve Oaks (2006), Two Cents Plain JNL (2012), Two Reeler JNL (2006; see also its follow-up typeface Positive Vibe JNL, 2007, both modeled after title cards of an early Charlie Chaplin movie), Type Catalog (2011, bilined all caps face), Typesetter JNL (2011), Type Vendor JNL (2012), Typewriter Sans JNL (2015), Type Wronger JNL (2013, old typewriter typeface).
- U-V: Unpretentious JNL (2014), Urmeba JNL (2012, named after amoebas and codesigned with Ray Larabie; a barf font), Used Cars (2012), Utica JNL (2010, squarish all caps face), Vehicle JNL (2010, a condensed block font as for car plates), Vendor JNL (2010, Victorian era ribbon face), Vertical Roundpoint JNL (2011, found in a 1941 edition of the Speedball Lettering Pen instruction book and re-drawn digitally by Jeff Levine), Vintage Designs JNL (2009, dingbat which has some fists), Vintage Price Tags JNL (2015), Vododeo JNL (2014).
- W: Wavely (2010), Weeneez JNL (2011, wiener-shaped glyhs), Welcome Home JNL (2009), Werble JNL (2010), Whoosh JNL (2007), Wild About Myself JNL (2015), Willoughby JNL (2006, based on 1950s toothpaste lettering), Window Sign JNL (2013), Wine Cellar JNL (2014), Winery JNL (2012: a soft-serifed caps face), Wire Mesh JNL (2009), Work Force JNL (2011), Wynwood JNL (2009).
- X-Y: Yard Sale JNL (2013), Yargo JNL (2009, hand-printed), Yayazout JNL (2008, fun titling face), Yorso Square JNL (2007).
- Z: Zera JNL (2007, intersecting rings), Zodor JNL (2010), Zoning Department JNL (2012), Zydeco JNL (2009).
Jeff Levine: Art Deco Typefaces
Art deco is another style that appeals to Jeff Levine. He has created some beauties:
- Acceptable JNL (2014).
- Aircheck (2006, retro CBS font).
- Airliner JNL (2008, all caps, based on a promotional postcard for Kitty Davis' Airliner - a popular Miami Beach night spot of the 1940s).
- Aparcero JNL (2015).
- Art Class JNL (2014). Art Class JNL was re-created from the titling of a lettering booklet called Drawlet Portfolio, published by the Esterbrook Pen Company in the 1930s. Drawlet pens were Esterbrook's answer to the popular Speedball lettering pens, and the booklet was an instructional manual on hand lettering with the pen nibs.
- Art Lover JNL (2007, based on an art deco typeface from a Dan Solo book).
- Bandleader JNL (2014).
- Bay Ridge JNL (2015).
- Bed And Bath JNL (2016, from the hand-lettered name on a 1930s-era tin for Cadet condoms).
- Belmont JNL.
- Big Band JNL (2011) is a brash typeface that is based on a lettering example found in a 1941 Speedball Lettering Pen instruction book.
- Blue Orchid JNL (2015).
- Borough Park JNL (2014).
- Brand X JNL (2013),
- Brookhurst (2006, compressed art deco font).
- Cabana Club (2006, Miami Deco inspired font with a razor-thin double outline).
- Cafe Society JNL and Cafe Society Monoline JNL (2014).
- California Bound JNL (2015). Based on the hand lettering found on the side of the old California Zephyr passenger trains.
- Canarsie JNL (2006, a hand-lettered art deco face), Canarsie Slab JNL (2001).
- Casting Call JNL (2015).
- Catalog JNL (2012). A blocky headline typeface.
- Central Park JNL (2014).
- Chocolate Bar JNL (2016).
- Cleveland Neon JNL (2016, based on the art deco neon sign for the iconic Clevelander Hotel located in the Art Deco district of Miami Beach).
- Club Lunch JNL (2016).
- Common Area JNL (2015).
- Contintental Gothic (2006).
- Cortland JNL (2009): modeled [in part] from lettering spotted in the opening credits of Columbia Pictures 1945 Batman serial.
- Cover Charge JNL.
- Crestview Six JNL (2010). And its outline and shadow versions called Gramercy Eight JNL (2010).
- Cut Stencil JNL (2011).
- Dance Number JNL (2015).
- Dance Partner JNL (2015). Based a movie poster for the 1935 RKO picture "Roberta" starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, which in turn was based on the hit 1933 stage play that introduced the song Smoke Gets in Your Eyes. The play itself was based on the Alice Duer Miller novel Gowns by Roberta.
- Date Night JNL (2016, based on the opening title card for the 1931s pre-code movie drama Other Men's Women starring Mary Astor, Regis Toomey, James Cagney and Joan Blondell.
- Deco Hotel JNL (2015). A hairline deco typeface.
- Deco Geometric Stencil JNL (2015).
- Deco Paragraph Initials JNL (2015).
- Deco Pennant Initials JNL (2013).
- Deco Elongated JNL (2013).
- Delancey JNL (2014). Inline and squarish.
- Design District (2006, art deco inspired design elements).
- Desk Clerk JNL (2010).
- Dine and Dance JNL (2015). Supper club deco, multilined.
- Direkta JNL (2012).
- Double Bill JNL (2013). Inspired by the promotional movie trailer for 1938 gangster comedy A Slight Case of Murder starring Edward G. Robinson.
- Double Line Deco JNL (2015).
- Drawing Tablet JNL (2011).
- East To West JNL (2014).
- Easy Living JNL (2015).
- Easy Money JNL (2014).
- Erratic JNL (2014).
- Estella JNL (2008, starry art deco version of Farragut JNL). Jeff writes: Her father named her Estella Dawn, or morning star. She truly shines bright, for as the owner of Stella Roberts Fonts, she has dedicated part of her net profits to helping her siblings pay for their medication; they both suffer from Cystic Fibrosis and diabetes. Calm in spirit, loyal to friends and family, nurturing and caring, Stella has been a friend of Jeff Levine's for years. His Estella JNL font was dedicated to her, as is this other namesake font, Morningstar JNL.
- Eckhardt Showcard JNL (2008).
- Evening Gown JNL (2015). Based on an ad for the 1935 musical "Roberta" starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
- Evening Initials JNL (2015).
- Evening Wear JNL (2014).
- Fanct Dancing JNL (2015). Based on sheet music titling for the 1938 movie musical "Carefree" starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
- Faux Decaux (2007, fat art deco).
- Favorite Hangout JNL (2009).
- Film Noir (201). A counterless art deco typeface based on Alf R. Becker's examples.
- Fine Dining JNL (2016: inspired by the opening titles for the 1940 Barbara Stanwyck-Fred MacMurray film Remember the Night).
- Finery JNL (2014).
- Floorwalker JNL (2013). Based on stncils made in 1926 by Display Material Company of St. Paul, MN.
- French Pastry JNL (2015).
- Frisco Bay JNL (2007, a nice art deco).
- Gambling Resort JNL (2014).
- Gidley (2007).
- Golden Beach JNL (2015).
- Golden Opportunity JNL (2015).
- Grand Central JNL (2010): multi-line Art Deco font is reminiscent of all of the glitz and glamour associated with Manhattan in the 1930s and 1940s.
- Hatchery JNL (2016).
- Hollenbeck JNL (2008).
- Hollywood Revue JNL (2015). Inspired by a movie poster for The Hollywood Revue of 1929.
- Home Movies JNL (2012). Based on 1950s cling vinyl letters made by the Clingtite Letters Company of Chicago.
- Horse Drawn Carriage JNL (2016. Based on the title card for a 1935 Bette Davis feature entitled The Girl from 10th Avenue.
- Hotel District JNL (2016).
- Huntington (2006, an art deco typeface inspired by the opening titles of the film Casablanca).
- Juke Joint JNL (2014).
- Lauderdale JNL (2013).
- Limousine JNL (2010, counterless, caps only).
- Love Song JNL (2014).
- Malagueña Stencil JNL (2015).
- Maplehurst JNL (2010): a beautiful rounded ultra-fat face.
- Market JNL (2009).
- Metalworker JNL (2009), and its star-spangled derived face, NationalSpiritJNL (2009).
- Metalet Modern JNL (2008, based on the letters found within the Metalet Movie Titling Set manufactured by the Modern Display Advertising Company of Hollywood, California circa the 1940s. Each stamped metal letter would be affixed to the background surface via the use of miniature magnets. Once in place, titles for home movies or slides could be photographed, the letters then returned to their storage area in their box.).
- Midtown JNL (2010) and its serifed version, Crosstown JNL (2010).
- Millbrae JNL (2015). Named after the old Millbrae Theater in Millbrae City, CA.
- Monoline Deco JNL (2014).
- Monthly Adventures JNL (2012).
- More Deco Lettering JNL (2015).
- Movie House JNL (2013). A trilined typeface.
- Mulholland JNL (2015).
- Musical Number JNL (2015).
- Nameplate JNL (2016).
- Night Life JNL (2012).
- Nightspot JNL (2011). A bilined headline typeface based on lettering by Alf R. Becker.
- Nightowl JNL (2011): a headline font encased in rectangles inspired by an Art Deco hand-lettered alphabet found in a 1941 edition of the Speedball Lettering Pen instruction book.
- Nouveau Poster JNL (2011). based on an alphabet found in Modern Pen Lettering (1915, C. Howard Hunt pen company).
- Nyack (2010, Inline, Solid, Monoline): tall, caps only.
- Parkitecture JNL (2006): counterless and fat.
- Party Invite JNL (2016).
- Pencil Pusher JNL (2014).
- Period Piece JNL (2015).
- Piano Lesson JNL (2015).
- Piano Solo JNL (2015).
- Playwright JNL (2010): Levine's version of Broadway.
- Old Miami Beach JNL (2012). Based on signs of the Roney Plaza hotel in South Miami Beach.
- Opening Night JNL (2013).
- Ormond JNL (2011) and Ormond Inline JNL (2011). The latter is a blackboard bold style face.
- Pocatello JNL (2016. Based on the cast and crew credits for Presenting Lily Mars (1943), (starring Judy Garland and Van Heflin.
- Pocomoke JNL (2015).
- Poultry And Fish JNL (2016).
- Prospect Park JNL (2015).
- Regal Suite (2006, display art deco).
- Ridgewood JNL (2012).
- Ritz Stencil JNL (2011).
- Roney JNL (2008, a stylized version of his own art deco typeface Metalet Modern).
- Screenplay JNL (2010): modeled after the signage seen in an old photo of the RKO movie studios building circa the 1930s.
- Service Deluxe JNL (2015).
- Sheet Music JNL (2011).
- Shopping Spree JNL (2016). Inspired by the hand lettering on the title card for the 1938 film Fast Company starring Melvyn Douglas and Florence Rice.
- Show Biz JNL (2013).
- Showgirl JNL (2011). Based on the neon letters of a 1940s marquee.
- Showpiece JNL (2014).
- Signage JNL (2013). A stencil in the style of Futura Stencil.
- Sleuth JNL (2013, after the trailer for the 1936 movie After The Thin Man).
- Social Gathering JNL (2016).
- Society Column JNL (2016. Based on the title card for the 1938 screwball comedy Four's a Crowd starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland and Rosalind Russell.
- Solid Deco JNL (2016).
- Song And Dance JNL (2014).
- Song Sheet JNL (2014).
- Space Deco JNL.
- Stage Play JNL (2015).
- Summerhaven JNL (2009).
- Society Dame JNL (2008).
- Solitude JNL (2015).
- Song Folio JNL.
- Stationery Department JNL (2015).
- Streamlined Stencil JNL (2015).
- Striptease JNL (2012). A 1930s burlesque show marquee typeface.
- Stagehand JNL (2014).
- Stuffed Shirt JNL (2013).
- Stylette JNL (2007, an art deco typeface after Stylor JNL).
- Stylor JNL (2006, hairline art deco).
- Suggestion Box JNL (2015).
- Supper Club JNL (2007).
- Swing Era JNL (2015).
- Table Fortu JNL (2007, art deco stencil).
- Tall Order JNL (2015, a revival of Raleigh).
- Tanawonda JNL (2010).
- Thoroughfare JNL (2014). LI>Ticket Booth JNL (2016. Based on the opening title card for 1940's Two Girls on Broadway.
- Tin Pan Alley JNL (2014).
- Top Hat JNL (after Art Lover JNL).
- Town And Country JNL (2014).
- Travel Brochure JNL (2016, based on a vintage booklet from the Japan Tourist Bureau entitled How to See Matsushima and Environs).
- Triborough JNL (2008).
- Tropical Tourist (2011). A 1934 advertisement for the Roney Plaza Hotel at 23rd Street and Collins Avenue on Miami Beach yielded the inspiration for Tropical Tourist JNL.
- Type Uncommon JNL (2015).
- Upscale JNL (2014, based on a 1939 alphabet by Sanford Ink Company).
- Uptown JNL (2013). Based on the book Sixty Alphabets (1944).
- Uptown Line JNL (2015).
- Uptown Residence JNL (2015).
- Van Wyck JNL (2008).
- Variety Store JNL (2015).
- Vaudeville JNL (2012).
- Vocalist JNL (2014).
- Westbrook JNL (2012, a monoline all-caps typeface), Window Dressing JNL (2012).
- Window Treatment JNL (2013). A Broadway style marquee face.
- Wingate JNL (2006, a narrow monolinear art deco type).
- Wonderful JNL (2014).
- Words And Music JNL (2014). Based on the 1934 sheet music for I'll String Along with You from the Dick Powell-Ginger Rogers musical 20 Million Sweethearts.
Jeff Levine: Stencil typefaces
Jeff Levine may well be the most prolific stencil font designer alive today. His passion for this nook of type design is clear from his writings. The stencil typefaces made by Jeff Levine include Adverse Stencil JNL, Amateur Stencil JNL (2010), Book Report (2006), Another Stencil JNL (2014), Antique Stencils JNL (2013), Boot Camp JNL (2012, army stencil based on a set of vintage brass interlocking stencils made by the Stafford Manufacturing Company), Brass Stencil (2011, an army stencil face), Brassmark Stencil JNL (2015), Brattleboro Stencil JNL (2015, after a stencil punch die manufactured by S.M. Spencer & Co. of Brattleboro, VT, circa 1868), British Stencil JNL (2010), Cardboard Cutouts JNL (2007), Carton Stencil JNL (2013), Case Closed (2011), Casual Stencil JNL (2013), Censorship JNL (2011), Clarenwood Stencil JNL (2015), Class Project (2006), Claim Check JNL (2009), Cold Case JNL, Common Stencil JNL (2016, a grungy military stencil), Condensed Stencil JNL (2011), Confirmation JNL (2008), Corporal JNL (2009), Craft Project (2006, stencil design dingbats), Cut Paper Stencil JNL (2011), Czech Stencil JNL (2015, modeled after Patrona Grotesk (1930, Czechoslovakia)), Delivered JNL (2005), Detective Bureau JNL (2016, based on the hand-lettered title card for 1951's Detective Story directed by William Wyler), De Vinne Stencil JNL (2010), Dive Gear Stencil JNL (2015), Duffle Bag JNL (2008: military stencil), Educator JNL (2010), Evidence JNL (2009), Excess Baggage JNL (2009), Farming Stencil JNL (2014), Favorite Stencil JNL (2015, modeled after Ludlow Stencil), Federal Case JNL (2008), Flatsider JNL (2012, a blocky stencil), Folk Singer JNL, French Stencil JNL (2010), French Stencil Sans JNL (2015), Hitchcock Stencil JNL (2016, based on on the movie poster for Alfred Hitchcock's 1955 dark comedy-thriller The Trouble with Harry), In Shipment JNL (army stencil), Interboro JNL (2010), Investigator JNL (2010), Jailbreak JNL (2010, a stencil version of his wood typeface Hoosegow), Kashigata Stencils JNL (2012: based on round Japanese stencils), Lettering Guide JNL (2007), Malagueña Stencil JNL (2015, art deco), Marking Stencil JNL (2014), Mechanical Stencil JNL (2014), Mess Hall JNL (2007), Metalmark Stencil JNL (2015), Metal Stencil JNL (2011, white on black), Meter Room JNL (2015), Mondawmin JNL (2010), More Antique Stencils JNL (2013: dingbats), Mystery Stencil JNL (2010), Narrow Roman Stencil JNL (2015), Narrow Stencil JNL (2011), Nature Stencils JNL (2013), No Parking JNL (2011), Nottingham Stencil JNL (2011), Oil Barrel JNL (2011), Old Chisholm JNL (2012, an old brass ornamental stencil), Open Case JNL (2016: like Cold Case JNL (2009), it is based based on sets of lettering stencils designed and manufactured by the Huntington Oil Cured Stencil Company (originally of Huntington, New York and later of Delray Beach, Florida)), Packed JNL (2005), Pendleton JNL (2011, an octagonal stencil typeface created from some scant images found on military machinery housed at the Marine Corps Mechanized Museum at Camp Pendleton, CA), Print Shop Stencil JNL (2013), Railyard Stencil JNL (2009), Paper Stencil JNL (2010), Parking Lot Stencil JNL (2013), Raider Stencil JNL (2016, based on the dust jacket for the 1929 Western novel The Raider by Charles Alden Seltzer), Rail Route Stencil JNL (2015), Ramshackle JNL (2010), Record Promotion JNL (2011), Retail Stencil JNL (2015), Ritz Stencil JNL (2011, art deco style), Rubbish JNL (2007, grunge stencil), (2013), Saskatoon Stencil JNL (2015), Schoolmarm (2006), Science Fair (2006, a filled stencil font), Sealed JNL (2005, blackletter stencil), Shipped JNL (2005), Signage JNL (2013, Futura Stencil style typeface), Sign Stencil JNL (2013), Simple Stencil JNL (2014), Sixties Stencil JNL (2014), Sloppy Stencil (2010, grunge stencil similar to Packed JNL), Spur Stencil JNL (2015), Stamped Brass Stencil JNL (2015), Steel Stencil JNL (2012), StencilBoard JNL (2010), Stencil Box JNL (2014), Stencil Deco (2008, a modification of Cardboard Cutouts JNL), Stencil Designs JNL (2012, vintage dingbats), Stencil Extras (2013), Stencil Gothic, Stencil Machine JNL (2013), Stencil Maker JNL (2013), Stencil Mark JNL (2011, based on a stencil by Meyer and Wenthe from Chicago), Stencil Modernistic JNL (art deco), Stencilbats JNL (2005), Stencil Monograms JNL (2011), Stencil Package JNL (2015, after a 1955 example by the Stencil-It company), Stencil Plate JNL (2013), Stencil Press JNL (2011, based on just a few existing sample punches from a 1920s stencil machine made by the Diagraph-Bradley company), Stencil Project JNL (2013, stencil ornaments), Stencil Set JNL (2013), Stencil Sheet JNL (2013), Stencilvania JNL (2006), Stencil Work JNL (2014), Stenson (2006, a stencil seen in rubber stamp shops), Storage (2006), Streamlined Stencil JNL (2015), Strong Stencil JNL (2013), Study Hall (2006), Table Fortu JNL (2008, a stunning art deco stencil), Teacher JNL (2009), Templit JNL, Term Paper (2006), Tin Lizzie JNL (2013, stencil-style automobile logos), Tin Stencil JNL (2015), Tote Bag JNL (2006), Tramp Steamer JNL (2007), Trencher JNL (2011, based on hand-cut stencils spray-painted onto a vintage 1947 Cleveland Trencher acquired by the Marine Corps Mechanized Museum at Camp Pendleton, CA), Trocadero JNL (2009, inspired by an early 1950s photo showing the signage for the Trocadero Restaurant located on Liberty Avenue and 23rd Street in Miami Beach), Trooper JNL (2009), Ultra Thin Stencil JNL (2012), Van Alt (2006, described as a geostencil, Futura Blacular kind of setup but from way before that style got Rennerized), Western Adventure (2006, classic stencil from the 1950s), Work Crew Stencil JNL (2015), Xmas Stencils JNL (2007, stencil dingbats). [Google]
Jens R. Ziehn
Aka Lady Frambuesa, this Spanish designer is one of the co-founders of the typefoundry Comando Cran. At Comnado Cran, she published Flaminga (2012, an offbeat beauty in the style of the Pink Panther movie credits). She is no longer an active member of Comando Cran. [Google]
Bitstream designer (b. 1955) who lives in Michigan City, IN. At Bitstream, he did in-house work, and had his signature on Candy Bits (1996, an M&M simulation font), Prima Sans (1998), Prima Serif (1998), Prima Sans Monospace (Bitstream, with Sue Zafarana, 1998) and Bitstream Vera (2003).
According to Lyles, Bitstream Vera is actually a detuned Bitstream Prima. Gnome asked that we modify some of the characters in the monospace, particularly for coding legibility. We added a center dot to the zero and modified the lcase l to distinquish it from the figure one. Although I designed Vera (Prima), it was actually Sue Zafarana who adapted it to a mono version, at times a very challenging task. The Vera fonts are also here.
Vera Sans is at the basis of Menlo (2009), a Snow Leopard system font, about which Apple writes: Apple's Menlo is based upon the Open Source font Bitstream Vera and the public domain font Deja Vu.
He revived some Filmotype fonts from the 1950s: Filmotype Jade (2012, based on an original connected script typeface from 1955), Filmotype Reef (2011), Filmotype MacBeth (2007), and Filmotype Austin (2009, brush face).
In 2012, he created a gracious upright script face, Stalemate, which can be downloaded from Google Web Fonts.
The upright connected script Grand Hotel (2012, Google Web Fonts, with Brian Bonislawsky for Astigmatic) finds its inspiration from the title screen of the 1937 film "Cafe Metropole" starring Tyrone Power. The free Rum Raisin was published at Astigmatic One Eye.
Stiggy & Sands is the American typefoundry of Brian Bonislawsky and Jim Lyles, est. 2013. Their first commercial typefaces, all jointly designed, are Luckiest Guy Pro (a fat comic book font based on vintage 1950s ads) and Marcellus Pro (a flared roman inscriptional typeface with both upper and lower case, originally published in 2012 by Astigmatic).
At Hamilton Wood Type, he designed HWT Roman Extended Fatface (2014), which is based on 19th century didone wood styles.
Another MyFonts link. Klingspor link. [Google]
[Stiggy & Sands]
Jim Pingle was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, then moved to Paoli, IN, and finally to Orleans, IN. Creator of Interdimensional, the Sliders font (of TV fame). The font is freely downloadable.
Alternate site. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
American designer of the Western typeface Old Lemonade (2010, Sideshow, with Stuart Sandler) and of the Hollywood film font Cinemascope (2012, with Stuart Sandler at Sideshow).
In 2013, he published the informal frame font Artsy Fartsies. His Littleheads dingbat series (Kids, Women, Men: nine fonts in all) is hilarious---it was codesigned with Stuart Sandlaer at Sideshow.
View Jim Steck's typefaces. [Google]
J-ME 2K (sic) is the designer of the angular font [F500] (2000). It was used in the movie wip3out. [Google]
Hungarian poster artist, whose lettering on this Hungarian movie poster from 1927 inspired Nick Curtis to make Metropolis NF. [Google]
Joana Leal (Lisbon) created the display typeface Cinefont in 2013. [Google]
[A critique of existing typefaces for HDTV (EIA-708) captioning]
[Tiresias: Critique by Joe Clark]
John August is a movie director, author and screenwriter. His company is called Quote Unquote Apps. In 2012, he contacted type designer Alan Dague-Greene to come up with a new typeface that matched the metrics of Courier [thus protecting line breaks and page counts in screenplays] while addressing some of its weak spots. The result, Courier Prime, is crisper and a bit heavier, and has true italics. It was tested and retested on a gaggle of active screenwriters until they finally agreed that it was better than the standard Mac Courier and than Courier Final Draft [named after the Courier used in the Final Draft screenwriter software]. It is free and has a generous license. Radio interview. [Google]
British recreator of the Saw movie font (grunge, ransom) s'AWesome (2007). [Google]
From the author, Jon Bernhardt: Springbats Deluxe combines Springbats with Mugshots along with my own Binky, Akbar&Jeffs. His Akbar font is a 1996-2000 adaptation of the 1991 font by Cowan Design Associates, which in turn was based on the famous handwriting of Matt Groening, the creator of The Simpsons and the comic Life in Hell. In 1996, he created SimpsonFont (from The Simpsons).
Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Jon Olav Rolfsnes
Norwegian designer whi hails a small island in Norway called Bømlo and went to Bergen to study graphic design for two years. He created Overlook Black (2011, octagonal face) and Wells Serif (2011, based on the type used in the control panel of the machine in the movie The Time Machine, 1960). Sailor Slant (2011) is based on the same type used on the back of the boat called Orca in the movie, Jaws. [Google]
Jonas Hecksher holds a degree from The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts - The School of Design and Ecole supérieure d'arts graphiques et d'architecture in Paris, where he specialized in graphic design and typography design. Heckscher is Partner and Creative Director at design agency e-Types which he co-founded in 1997 and co-founder of type foundry and type design brand Playtype. He is a 5-time recipient of the Danish Design Award, a winner of two gold Creative Circle awards, a silver award winner at the Britsh D&AD, a winner in 2014 of the Knud V. Engelhardt Memorial Award, and the recipient of a certificate of excellence in type design from Type Directors Club N.Y.
He designed fonts such as Movie (2001, a very black condensed movie generics sans), iD:00 (2001, a large sans and serif family), Fletch Text (1998, a sans), DeLuca (Bodoni-like, 2001), NinetySix K (2001, a serif), Underton (1998), Point Sans (1999), Point Serif (1999), Cendia (1997), DenmarkSerif (1998), Mega (1999), Olic (1999), Arch Sans (2003), Arch Serif (2003), Arch Stencil (2003), Arch Pattern (2003).
In the 2011 Playtype on-line catalog, it seems that several of his early designs have been renamed, and many others have been added. So here is the on-line list of his fonts there as of February 2011: AbidaleBook, AcademySans, AcademySerif, BingoSans, BingoSerif, DeArchie (didone), DeArchieDisplay, FletchText, FruOlsen (condensed), Geometric, Hall, HomeDisplay, Hazelwood, HermesBaby (old typewriter), Hill, HomeText, ID00 Sans (large family), ID00 Serif, ItalianPlate, JPSpecial Sans, JPSpecial Serif, JazzHouse, Mari, MoviePlaytype, New Press, Noir Text, Nord Dingbats (circled letters), Norwegian, Play (2011, a minimalistic sans serif typeface), PrimoSerif, Republic, SymphonyDisplay, TheWave, Trood, VentiQuattro (didone), Vertigo, Willumsen, ZettaSans.
Later in 2011, he published the modern sans family Metro.
In 2010, Hecksher created the 21-weight custom typeface family Berlingske for the newspaper by that name. It was extended over the years to a whopping 227 weights / 2100 glyphs-per-font in 2014, the year in which it was released as a regular retail font at Playtype, with Sans, Serif and Slab versions.
In 2014, an earlier typeface by e-types, Italian Plate, was releases in two monoline sans subfamilies, Italian Plate No. 1 and No. 2, and two serif versions, No. 3 and No. 4. In 2015, he published the extensive sans typeface family DuNord at Playtype. Klingspor link. [Google]
[The Northern Block (TNB)]
Portland, OR-based designer of the decorative caps typeface Pod (2014), which is inspired by Stanley Kubrick's movie 2001 A Space Odyssey. Behance link. [Google]
Joseph M. Pence
Exclusive fonts by Joseph M. Pence at Fontasia International: Paranoid Android (1998, grungy), Shoryuken Streetfighter, and Tecmo Rounded Caps, Clive Barker (2005, an inky script face: A cramped, claustrophobic handwritten font based on the chapter and title illustrations from Clive Barker's "Thief of Always.").
In 2013, he published Mad Somnambulist: Mad Somnambulist is a choppy, abstract script font based on the hand-etched playbills from the stylized Expressionist silent classic, "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari."
Ascension Day (203) is an intricate handwritten font based on the liner notes of the Talk Talk album "Laughing Stock."
Dafont link. [Google]
Designer from from Puyo, Ecuador, b. 1991, known as Darko Juan. He made numerous free fonts.
Creator of these typefaces:
- Amazonica (2009) is a curlified roman face.
- Artesanias (2011).
- Básica (2010, an organic octagonal sans done with FontStruct) and Básica Unicode (2010).
- Black Audio (2010): gridded.
- Bohemia (2010): grunge face.
- Borracho (2009).
- Bosque Encantado (2010).
- Cabaret (2011).
- Chave (2010) and Gato (2010) are hand-printed typefaces.
- Code 7x5 (2015). A pixel typeface.
- Colonial (2010).
- Cuneiforme (2010): cuneiform simulation face.
- The scary gothic typefaces La Flama y La Espina, Pasión Acústica (2009), Dark Pix (2010, FontStruct), Goth Stencil (2009, blackletter stencil), Goth Stencil Premium (2009), Ming Imperial (2009) and Ming Gothic (2009, was Chino Gotico before that). The latter two typefaces have an Asian look. Pasion Gotica (2010, FontStruct).
- Fam Fuerte (2011, grungy).
- Furia&Venganza (2011). A tattoo face.
- Hangul Love2 (2010).
- La Rosa Muerta (2010).
- Lejana (2010): a curly script.
- Linexter (2013). A vintage typeface.
- Luismi Murder (2009).
- Magical Dreams (2011).
- Mobile Sans (2015).
- Narn Font (2011). Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia.
- Ninja Turtles (2014) and Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). Sci-fi typefaces.
- No Hubo Tiempo (2009) is a timid handwriting face.
- PercanceFatal (2009).
- Pixel typefaces: Trium (2010), DarkPix (2009, done with FontStruct).
- The blackletter typefaces Por Siempre Gótica (2011), Artesanias (2011), Fraktura (2011), Neue Goth (2011), Estilographica (2011).
- The curly scribbly typefaces One Wild Line (2012), Romance Fatal 2.0 and 3.0 (2009, based on his own hand), Romance Fatal Pix (2010), Romance Fatal (2009, +Serif), Romance Fatal Goth (2009), Romance Fatal Sans (2011).
- Rounded Sans (2014).
- Scars Before Christmas (2010).
- Schindler's Font (2011). Inspired by the movie.
- Sucker Font (2011). A metal band face.
- Tatida Versal (2009), Tatida Rocking (2009).
- Tattoo Sailor (2010).
- A custom font for Teller Of Tales: A Fib Fit For A King, a 2011 movie by Woody Lindsey.
- The Fire Regular (2011).
- Tipófila (2010).
- Valle Lejano (2010, FontStruct).
- Verde Amazonico (2011).
- Versal-Gothic (2009).
- Xefora (2011). A spindly blackletter.
- Schindler's Font (2011). Based on the movie sequence.
- Frozen Font (2014) is also movie-inspired.
- Viaje Script (2015).
- The Marauders (2015). A pirate typeface.
- Camomila (2015). A feminine script.
- Jupiter Serif (2015). Based on the titling of the movie Jupiter Ascending.
- Erie Roman (2014). A roman caps typeface.
- Ancient War (2015). Inspired by the movie War Craft.
Behance link. Devian tart link. Home page. Dafont link. Old home page. Fontspace link. Abstract Fonts link. Creative Market link. [Google]
[Sharp & Type]
During her graphic design studies in 2014, Juanita Henao (Medellin, Colombia) created the octagonal typeface Knout Slab, which was inspired by movies such as THX1138, Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. [Google]
Kaiser Zhar Khan
[True Type Fonts]
[The Flea Pit]
Downingtown, PA-based designer of the vintage art nouveau script typeface Hocus Pocus (2015), which was created for the movie Hocus Pocus. [Google]
German designer in Recklinghausen, Germany of First Strike (2008, FontStruct) and First Strike Spaced, a grid-overlay of First Strike. Other FontStruct fonts from 2008: Aria Penci Roman (sketched font), Canned Heat (dingbats), Guttermouth (slab serif), Guttermouth Spaced (dashed version), Guttermouth Bold, Bloc Party Outline Shadowed, BabyBaby (toy blocks), Possibly Winged Polepieces, Skylines, Canned Heat, Simplicity, Stadium, Brussels (inspired by the Atomium), Cardboarder (nice 3d face), Crazytown (a Western font, an hommage to Maurice de Bevere, creator of Lucky Luke, 1923-2001), Itallica, Orica*cut, Orica, Pavement, Moduli, Tinka, Tinka Filled, Moduli, Loreylane, FS United One, (gorgeous sketched letters), babybaby, bellevue, bloc-party-outline-shadowed, brussels-contourized, elceedee, eurofiction, horrorhouse, plenum, scratch-me-if-you-can, simplicity, skylines, sophia---superlight (hairline), stadium, werkshalle (Ferrari lettering font?), schachmatt (stitching font).
In 2009, he added Terence Kill (blackletter), Cellophone, Amanerd (texture face), Drenama, Poster Classic, Midnight Diner, Sunburst, Signo, Multiverse (Basic, Striped, Alaska, Couch), Pointless Task, Broadway (dotted outline), Mostly, Terence Kill (blackletter), Pole Position (dot matrix), Antares 37 (Startrek font), Figure Collection Part 1 (dingbats), and College Pornmag.
In 2010, he made Motown Motel, Olympic Spirit (dot matrix outlined), Cyclobe Pro (octagonal), Gappy, Burtonesque.
In 2011, he FontStructed the gorgeous typeface Vuvuzela, Dance (dancing men), and Zapotek (elliptical face), Asgardian, Legendary (eleven movie stars).
In 2012, he created CMND (outline face) and Equinoxe.
In 2013, Christoph made the crayon font Grungarian and Histamic.
Typefaces from 2014: FS Dark Shogun, FS Galaxy Epsilon (3d font), FS Tigerwood (striped font), FS Orica Stencil, FS Moduli, FS Underworld (blackletter), FS Pointless Task (dot matrix font), FS Horrorhouse, FS Werkshalle (one of my favorite fonts in this collection), FS Brussels (connect-the-dots typeface inspired by the Atomium), FS Skylines, FS Signo, FGS Orica, FS Plenum, FSAntares37, FS Old Brewhouse, FS Commander.
Dafont link. [Google]
Kristi, or Sandy87, is a Houston-based designer, b. 1987, who created the experimental techno font Get Ed Progress City (2007, based on "Get Ed", Red Rover Studios and Disney. 2005). [Google]
Laurent Savoie (Paint Black Editions) is the French creator of the 3d paint emulation font Paint Black (2009), of the alphading pkSLD (2010), of the ultra grunge typefaces Jeremiah (2010, after the 1972 Sydney Pollack film Jeremiah Johnson), Outsider (2010), Mika Teuf (2010: done by Tristan Savoie) and Guignol's Band (2010), of the 3d outline typeface Dead Wallace (2010), OE RMX, OE dans l'O (2009), Yo La Tengo (2009), Anti-Folk PK (2009), PK&Co (2010, brush), Mekano (2010), Do It Yourself (or DIY) (2010), D The Hero (2010, grunge).
Faces from 2011: Monotaure, Shady Lane (3d, hand-printed), The Quick Monkey (ransom note face), Cool Hand PK, Figure Writing (Treefrog-style hand), Black Cobra (fat brush face), PK Cobra (chalk font).
Creations from 2012: PK Shaman (bilined font), Trout (a circle-based typeface), Cruel Sun, Dragonfly, Manta Ray (grunge).
Typefaces from 2013: PK Captain (a wonderful rough army stencil), Burnout (grunge), Fake Smiths, Yo Lobi (hand-printed), Viperine (circle-based sans), Cyclope, Elephant, No Color (counterless), Out of Tune (sketched face), For Winter (speckled grunge font).
Typefaces from 2014: Konstructa Humana Stencil, Crystal Lake, Caligula, Bad Caligula (grunge version).
Dafont link. Fontsy link. Fontspace link. Paint Black Editions. Blogspot link. [Google]
Leandro Pardini (Argentina) updated Darrell Johnson's Futurama family: Futurama-Bold-Font (1999, extended by Leandro Pardini, 2002), Futurama-Alien-Alphabet-One (1999, numbers by Leandro Pardini, 2002), Futurama-Alien-Alphabet-Two (Leandro Pardini, 2002), Futurama-Title-Font (1999, rebuilt by Leandro Pardini, 2002). Dafont link. The Dafont page says that Leandro Pardini is Ruby D from Perth, Australia, and that he is a she, and was born in 1997. Help! [Google]
Creator of typefaces at VGC, such as Lee (1974). Lee Bold is the typeface used in Charlie's Angels (the credits for both the TV show and the movie, as well as in the VHS logo) and in the film "Whose life is it anyway?". There are other weights such as Lee Regular and Lee Italic. [Google]
Les 83 machines
Munich, Germany-based designers of the tweetware font Kino 40 (2014), which models the hand-crafted style in old movies. Behance link. [Google]
Calgary-based designer of Naranja (2005), an experimental typeface built up of quarter circles and L-brackets. Its dingbats are inspired by Clockwork Orange. Faces made with FontStruct in 2008: Robot Builder (Solid, Shaded and Open: squarish typefaces), Polygonal Lasso (Far West type: 938 glyphs for Latin, Latin Extended A & B, Greek, Cyrillic, and Katakana), Marshmallow Script (based on Einhorn, Eclat, Deftone Stylus, and Magneto, all connected diner scripts), Crazy Eights (deck of cards), Ficus Stencil (+Compressed, +Condensed, +Extended, +Regular, +Zebra, +StencilOpen), Big Fat (+Vibrate, +Solid, +Shaded), Negatron (Regular, Solid and Fill), Tuscan Radar, Nuclear Depot Americum (495 glyphs consisting of stars), Nuclear Depot (Radioum, Neptunium, Plutonium, Uranium: a futuristic family that covers Cyrillic), Am I see are you pee see, eh? (a font that combines MICR with UPC-A). The links: big_fat_shaded, crazy_eights, ficus_stencil_compressed, ficus_stencil_condensed, marshmallow_script, negatron_fill, negatron_regular, negatron_solid, serpent_like_bold, tuscan_radar.
2009 creations: Haemophobe (pixel), Star Wreck, Mouthcaster (a bilined typeface based on the lettering on the front of the 1978 edition of the Scoutmaster's Handbook), Pasta (white on black), Medical Station Alpha (techno), Disco Stud (Chrome, Solid, Chrome Oblique, Solid Oblique), Affix, Infix (experimental and minimalist), Pinball Blizzard, Tears in Rain (a simplistic textura), Five Minute Hair Colour (slab serif), Seg Sixteen (LED face), Trajedy (pixel), Nobody 8 Italic (pixel), Home Sweet Home (a cross-stitch font), Wotan, Tiki Deaky, Writetyper, Chromatose (shadow family), Chocobot (an octagonal family containing Dark, Stacked (multilined), Milk, White), Big Fat (Shaded, Vibrate, Solid).
2010 creations: Fungal Sharp, Fungal Rounded (described by himself as a unicase stovepipe sans), Elliptical Lasso (Western ornamental caps), Astral Projection (a dot matrix typeface that updates Astra, a Letraset font designed by François Robert and Natacha Falda in 1973), Brick-block tops (3d effect), Knots, Spacerock (an extensive arc-based geometric family), Telephone (counterless), Pixular, StarWreck the Next Generation, Hockey Club, Brick-Block Tops, Bubblemania, Ziabelle Remix (outline, 3d, shaded), Hextone, Falcone (robotic face), but I didn't Trap the Deputy (Egyptian), Dinosaur Gothic.
Fonts from 2011: Apé'ritif (bilined), Csillagok (a futuristic face based on a hungarian Star Wars poster), Valhalla (faux runic), Birodalom, Haboruja, Piezo, Felix (black art deco face).
Typefaces from 2013: Portafina, Portofino.
Typefaces from 2014: Hanz and Franz, McRasky (a MICR font), Apricpt, Classic Spacerock, Five Minute Hair Colour.
Typefaces from 2015: Big Fat Shaded Neue, Rampy, Managrom (monogram font), Spagett (connected cursive script). [Google]
Australian graphic and type designer. Her creations include the hairline script typeface Squirrel (2012) and The Marriage Plot (2012). Behance link.
She writes: Process and final design for a revamped cover of Jeffrey Eugenides' latest novel, The Marriage Plot. The typeface was created based on the hand-made typography used in the original posters for Fellini's Amarcord. [Google]
Lucas Le Bihan
French designer of the vintage typeface Nanook (2015, free at Open Font Library; see also Github). Nanook is based upon lettering of Robert Flahert's documentary, Nanook of The North. He also was involved in the creation of the transitional curveless typeface Avara Two (2013). Originally developed by Raphaël Bastide, it was later adjusted by Wei Huang and Lucas Le Bihan. [Google]
Fonts for and from LucasArt and LucasFilm Games: Dango, CaslonAntique, AdventureNormal, DayOfTheTentacle, SecretofMonkeyIslandNormal. [Google]
Luis Huacuja García
[Bajo La Luna Producciones]
Lux Typographics (was: Intersection Studio)
Lux Typographics (Los Angeles, CA) was established in 1996 by Greg Lindy and Michael Rey. It is mainly involved in custom typography. Greg Lindy is the sole type designer for Lux Typographics and is a founding member, along with Michael Rey, of Intersection Studio in Venice, CA. Greg lives and works in Los Angeles, and teaches type design at The Otis College of Art and Design.
Typefaces, first available via Thirstype, include Lux Sans (2003), Section (2003, a sans family), Omega (a connected display face), Crank8 (2005, with Henk Elenga, as seen in Esquire Magazine), Autoknit (knitting font), Carinho (for Johnson & Johnson), Forge (for an Alaskan seafood company), SH Grotesk (for Simply Hired), Splenda, GDT Gothic (for the identity of the film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Gustan, Resource Grotesk (for Resource Decor), and Nova (2003).
Lux Typographics joined the type coop Village in 2005.
In 2012, Lindy published the rounded sans family Colette.
Defunct Thirstype URL.
Klingspor link. Village link. [Google]
An orphaned neon tube font that one can download at abfonts. The font's readme says: This font is based on screen capture of the opening title sequence of the 1972 movie Made. The missing letters and numerals were created in the style of existing letters. Alpha-numeric characters were digitized and/or created by C. The alternate numeral 8 in the asterisk key created by T. It is T's fault if you do not like how the font was kerned. [Google]
Archive of fonts used by Madonna on her albums: Aldine721BT-Roman, AmericanLife, Astronaut, BDBrick, BellBottom, Bodoni-Regular, BookmanOldStyle, BudEasyMedium, CenturyGothic, Cornet, CottagePlain, DirtyEgo, EngraversGothicBT-Regular, FrenchScriptMT, FuddRegular, GEZodiac, Gigi-Regular, GlaserSteD, Halcyonia-Superwide, HanzelNormal, HorndonD, IceAgeD, Impact, KissMeKissMeKissMe, LovelyCapsules, Mouser, NevisonCasD, NormandeBT-Roman, OCRAExtended, Opulent-Normal, PabloLetPlain, PenguinPlain, RageItalic, ReservoirGrunge, SFAutomatonCondensed, SFHollywoodHills, Swiss721BT-BlackExtended, Swiss721BT-Thin, ThunderbirdBT-Regular, Toto692GHV2, TrebuchetMS, URWWoodTypD, WantedPosterSSiBlack, WarnerLogoFontNine, Young-Love-ES. [Google]
Jaipur, India-based designer of the decorative Latin typeface Banana in 2016. It is based on the characters in the movie Minions. [Google]
Marc Janet Martinsz
Marc Janet's (mostly free) fonts include a number of pixel typefaces in FON format, and a grungy typeface called Orwell (2008). In 2012, he published the grungy typefaces aRape Softular and aRape Angular, and the mechanical typeface MSU1.
Metropolische (2012) is a font inspired by the French poster for Fritz Lang's Metropolis.
Zentropa (2012) is based on the typography of Lars von Trier's film Europa.
Mondo Cane (2012) is a sans typeface inspired by Mondo Cane (A Dog's World, 1962), a documentary written and directed by Italian filmmakers Paolo Cavara, Franco Prosperi and Gualtiero Jacopetti.
Big Brother (2013, letterpress style) is inspired by the Big Brother poster typography from Michael Anderson's adaptation of George Orwell's "1984".
Born in 1991, Marc Janet lives in Santiago, Chile. [Google]
Mark F. Heiman
Mark F. Heiman made Battlestar (1996), GalacticaBats (1997), Galactican, and Village [1994; about which he says: This font was designed to closely resemble that used in the cult TV classic "The Prisoner," created by and starring Patrick McGoohan. The letterforms are mostly based on the Albertus typeface, with a few exceptions].
Another URL. Dafont link. [Google]
Designer of GilligansIsland (1995).
Dafont link. [Google]
German designer, b. 1965. Currently, he teaches typography at the University of Lapland in Rovaniemi, Finland, but maintains a home in Wuppertal, Germany. His typefaces:
In October 2007, he organized a Type Workshop in Rovaniemi. At that workshop, his students made a number of typefaces: Väinö Klemola, Siru Lämsä, Mika Junna, Merja Lahti, Lena Raeuchle, Kalle-Pekka Alare, Jussi-Pekka Koivisto, Heidi Ettanen, Hanna Piekkola, Hanna Kauppinen, Esa-Pekka Niemi, Elisa Niemelä, Elina Virtanen, Emile Uggla, Antti Huhtala. This was followed by similar workshops in 2008 and 2009. Type glossary.
- LL Mountain (2015). Mountain scene dingbats.
- LL Calligraphy (2014).
- LL Paladin (2014). Medieval calligraphic typeface.
- LL Liberte (2013). a rough stencil typeface based on railway stencils seen in Arles, France.
- LL Lisa (2013). A Cyrillic sans.
- LL Faces (2013).
- LL Rounded (2012).
- LL Charlotte
- LLChina (2009): a grunge stencil face.
- LLTippa (2009): old typewriter.
- LL Pochoir (2007, grunge).
- The dingbats font LL Hulu Poro (verrucktes Renntier) presented at FUSE95.
- LL Faktotum (1995, grunge). Download here.
- LL Humboldt (2012). A grungy signposting or poster face.
- LL Record (2002-2006): music dingbats.
- LL Medien (2004): extra-wide rounded techno face.
- Dafont link where one can freely download LL Nitro (2013, grunge), LL Futur (2013), LL Pearl (2013), LL Pixel, LL Pikseli (2009, dotted face, done with Rovaniemen Yliopisto), LL Rubber Grotesque (grunge, letterpress simulation, and/or rubber stamp font originally done in 1997), LL Regular (grunge), LL Cooper (2009, sketched typeface based on Cooper Black) and LL Alarm (roughened stencil face). LL Rubber Grotesque has been used in the Harry Potter films since 2005: see here.
- The typefaces for the interior of Smart cars (Smart Roadster) and the exterior of the Smart 4-4 and 4-2 (see here).
- LL Textur (2014, a calligraphically constructed Textura face).
- LL Xmas (2012, stitching font) and LL Dot (2012, dot matrix face).
http://www.dafont.com/markus-schroppel.d1142">Dafont link. Old download link. Abstract Fonts link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Barcelona-based illustrator and designer. Behance link. Her illustrative caps typeface The No Name Horses (2011) was made on commission for an independent film by Lorena Medina. [Google]
Designer of Calvin and Hobbes (1999). See also here. [Google]
Graphic design student in Nafplion, Greece, who created Film Font (2014). [Google]
Type designer and poster artist who digitized Hitchcock (1997), a font based on the movie poster lettering of the famous New York-born type designer and film director Saul Bass. Hitchcock (1997) is an irregular font (2002), based on lettering by Saul Bass (click on Saul Bass, and the Soul Food, then Hitchcock Font). Nick Shinn mentions that Bass didn't do the actual lettering and Robert Trogman adds that Dave Nagata did most of the drawings. Poster art by Terich. Stephen Coles mentions these fonts in the same vein as Hitchcock: [Google]
Mauro Paolozzi is Swiss designer and web artist who runs Buildshape. He designed LL Prismaset"> (2006-2013, Lineto, with James Goggin, Alex Rich, and Raphael Koch). In 2015, Raphael Koch and Mauro Paolozzi codesigned GT Cinetype at Grilli Type. This typeface has outlines consisting of many short straight line segments, thus mimicking the now obsolete pre-digital age technique of laser printing subtitles in movies. At small sizes, the font looks very smooth, but at larger sizes, the straight segments become apparent.
His custom typefaces include Blindalley (2001), Backdoor (2001), Spins (200) and Panty Boy (2000), Scsibar (2000). [Google]
[Government Studios (was: GVMNT)]
Illustrator from Paris, Toulouse and/or Pau, France. He created the prison wall writing font Délivrance (2012) for a DVD cover for the film Seven. In 2013, Maxime created the angular German expressionist typeface family Red Bone.
Behance link. [Google]
Designer of American Life (2003). See here for a download. This font was used on Madonna's CD by the same name. [Google]
French creator of Le Corniaud (2005, after the 1965 movie by Gérard Oury). Dafont link. [Google]
Movie font archive site run by James Callaghan from Florida who made the free Walt Disney Script font WDScript (2000), the exquisite display family Seized (2001), Bradley (2005, a revival of a blackletter typeface, Bradley, an 1895 typeface credited to Joseph Warren Phinney, which was based on lettering by Henry William Bradley for a Christmas cover of Harper's Bazaar magazine), Prototype, Prototype Community, Prototype Pavilion (EPCOT font, 2001), Waltograph (2000-2004; free at Open Font Library), Decotech (2001, based on designs by Daniel Pelavin and Neville Brody), SpaceAge, Ravenscroft (copyright TombSweetTomb.com, 2001), and Seized v2 (2002).
His Florida Project (2003, with Spencer Parks), is an original font family based on the logotype for Walt Disney World circa 1971-1995.
List of fonts seen at Disney. Subpage on pirate fonts.
Dafont link. Alternate URL. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
[Mondo Graphix from Mike Gaines]
Dallas, TX-based creator of the free art deco stencil typeface Glas Deco (2012), which is based on a specimen found in Hoffmanns Schriftatlas: Das Schriftschaffen der Gegenwart in Alphabeten und Anwendungen, Stuttgart 1930. Another download site. View the original.
Creator of Mexico 86 (2011), a bilined headline typeface that was modeled after the Mexico 1986 World Cup logo font, which in turn was based on Avant Garde Extra Light. Free download at abfonts.
Creator of Twin Mo 1 (2012, bilined).
In 2013, he/she created Hadley Numerals (based on the numbers originally generated by Gunter Gerhard Lange for his Derby typeface), and Hadley Stencil (based on the letters originally generated by Gret Mengelt-Mergenthaler and Walter Ballmer for their Swiss typeface TEXPO). Free download.
North Dallas Forty (2012, free) is based on the custom letters in the original 1979 movie posters and marketing materials for the film North Dallas Forty.
In 2011-2012, Dick Pape created a number of free fonts based on designs pointed out to him by Mindofone, and he calls them his Mindofone collection, 86 files strong. They include French Alphabets (FA) and French Advertising Alphabets (FAA). The French Advertising Alphabets were designed by M. Moullet in Brussels in 1946.
The FAA series: FAA3DLettresEnRelief, FAAAllongees, FAAAllongeesBold, FAAAntiqueAllongee, FAAAntiqueGrasse, FAAAntiques, FAAAntiquesGrasses, FAABaroque3DInitiales, FAABlockLettresEnRelief, FAACameoHollow, FAACaracteresdeFantaisie, FAAChevauchantes, FAACubiques, FAAEcossaises, FAAEcritureGrasseEmoussee, FAAEgyptienneGrasse, FAAEgyptiennesEmoussees, FAAFantaisie, FAAFantaisieBlaireau, FAAFantaisieHardi, FAAFantaisieHaut, FAAFantasio, FAAFloralGothiqueInitiales, FAAFrenchMecane, FAAItalianHeavySlab, FAALettresAuCrayonItalic, FAALiberty, FAANormandes, FAANormandesAllongees, FAAOmbreeEnRelief, FAAOnciale, FAAOrientales, FAAPochoir, FAARomainClassique, FAARomainTypographique, FAScenesPaysannes, FAASerifEgyptienne, FAAVetteFantasieAntieke.
The FA series consists first of all of digitizations that are from a booklet by signpainter Roumond entitled 32 Alphabets Modernes, published in Paris by A. Charayron and Léon Duran, some time in the 1930s. Pape's 32 fonts are FAModerne0369, FAModerne0562a, FAModerne0562b, FAModerne0946aBold, FAModerne0946bBold, FAModerne1367a, FAModerne1367b, FAModerne2021a, FAModerne2021b, FAModerne2491a, FAModerne2491b, FAModerne2491c, FAModerne2491d, FAModerne4441, FAModerne5204, FAModerne5204a, FAModerne5204b, FAModerne5204c, FAModerne6183a, FAModerne6183b, FAModerne6518a, FAModerne6518b, FAModerne6518c, FAModerne6518d, FAModerne7287a, FAModerne7287b, FAModerne7666, FAModerne7798, FAModerne9002a, FAModerne9002b, FAModerne9321a, FAModerne9321b.
The other fonts in the FA series are FAAntique2748, FAAntiqueShaded, FACondensedGothic, FACondensedReversedGothic, FAGillSignWritersGuide, FAGothicInitials, FAHerrickSignWriters, FAJeuSubstantoBold, FAPutti, FARoundSans4901, FAThin3394, FATransportReversed4858, FAUltraLight, FAVineInitials, FAWildFlowers.
Further typefaces by Dick Pape: Cathedral (2011, a sketched expressionist face, based on Martin Wait), ColorLinesFont (2010, based on work by Anton Gridz), ColorOutLinesFont, FuroreMexicoCameo, FuroreMexicoNormal, FuroreMexicoPlain, FuroreMexicoWide. The Furore series was made in 2011 based on Furore No. 11 The Mexico Issue (Piet Schreuders, Amsterdam, 1978).
Dick Pape font download page. [Google]
Nicely organized archives with downloads of stylish fonts, brand name fonts, movie fonts, graffiti fonts, outline fonts, retro fonts, TV show fobts, display fonts, more display fonts, grunge fonts, more grunge fonts, and others. More direct link. [Google]
Designer of the handwriting Harry Potter font "Hagrid2" (2002). Mark Simonson makes a stink about this typeface, as he claims that it is an imitation of his Felt Tip Roman, a commercial face. I think that is an exaggeration, as the letters are quite differently shaped and positioned (examples: t, R, p, and so on). [Google]
Mondo Graphix from Mike Gaines
Mike Gaines is the Corvallis, Oregon-based designer of mainly scanbat typefaces such as Monster Party (1997), Udeman (1998), Sunnydale (2001), Tabloid One, Tabloid Two, Thundercats Ho, TNGcast, ForcedReentry (2000), Conan, Jay Leno, Rosie O, Quotidian (1998, a TV series actor scanbat font), Xcast, Herc/xena, Tcatsho, JCdux, Phlegmy Kilmister, PrimeDetective (StarTrek dingbats), and Sankavyn. The place to go for drawings of celebrities, especially female movie and TV stars (Sankavyn) and male movie stars and celebrities (U de Man).
In 2013, he designed the scanbat typeface Sunnydale and the mini-stencil typeface Lou Gramm (based on the logotype of the band Foreigner).
Dafont link. Fontreactor link. [Google]
Graphic designer, who has an MFA in Graphic Design at Otis College of Art & Design (Los Angeles) in 2012. She currently teaches graphic design at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and is Creative Director at Blue Taco Design in Las Vegas. Monica created a few experimental typefaces in 2012, such as String Theory, Weird (a unicase typeface done with Sybille Hagmann; some initial work was done using FontStruct), Spoked (designed for a web site to promote bicycle awareness), and Triathlon (an organic typeface for triathletes, developed for her thesis project at Otis), and Weird (2011, experimental).
In 2013, she designed Kryptonian Script for Warner Bros' Man of Steel. In 2015, she created a typeface based on strings, Two Pencil Typeface, as well as the experimental typeface Motorix (released by the Psy/Ops typefoundry in San Francisco).
Behance link. Blue Taco Design. [Google]
Movie, television fonts @ 1001 fonts.com
Movie and TV font archive. [Google]
Movie Trailers on VHS
Movie fonts archive. [Google]
FontStructor who made the perky art deco (movie titling?) typeface Cinema (2011). [Google]
Small archive with fonts used in the Harry Potter books. Original fonts by the staff include ES Mugglenet (2002) and ES Potter (2000). Other fonts in the archive: ES-MuggleNet, ES-Potter, Hagrid2, HarryP, HogwartsWizard, Lumos, Magdeburg, Magik, Moonstar, ParryHotter, Parseltongue. [Google]
Designer of the free tall condensed squarish typeface Movie Title (2016). [Google]
Kiwi creator of the Bundy-Yellow stencil font family, in hollow and solid versions, modeled after the Married With Children lettering. [Google]
MyFonts: B-Movie typefaces
A few commercial digital typefaces that are tagged by their creators as B-movie fonts. [Google]
Fonts that are appropriate for captions are showcased at MyFonts. See also here, here, here and here. [Google]
MyFonts: Disney typefaces
Typefaces related to Disney movies and Disneyworld. See also here for Disney's parks and attractions. [Google]
MyFonts: Film noir typefaces
Film noir, the middle of the 20th century, mystery movies, exressionism, depression, thrillers, Hitchcock, Goddard. [Google]
MyFonts: Typefaces for movie credits
All typefaces at MyFonts tagged as suitable for or used in movie credits. See also here and here. [Google]
Designer in New York City who created the grungy typeface Metropolis (2013), which was inspired by Fritz Lang's movie Metropolis.
Behance link. [Google]
Portland, OR-based designer of Stanwyck (2013), a successfully executed display typeface that is based on film noir movie titles of the '40s and '50s. Behance link. [Google]
FontStructor who made many fonts, including the unicase typeface Nerug (2010, based on the futuristic logo of the TV show Gruen Transfer), the Stringbead family (2010), Silicon Neon Straight (2010), Therlea (2010, an angular fat didone face), Globus (white on black), Miagan (pixel face), Mertinal (2010: a graph theory face), Xharon (2010: a techno stencil), Deebee Dee (2010: like Futura Black), Logoremix (kitchen tile face), Logoremix Thin, Ragett, Ells Split Peas, Barowin, Desert Bean (floral face), Tonkted (knotted face), Belumt, Plink (blocky futuristic face).
Typefaces from 2011: Recused, Recused 3x3, Trec Funch (an artsy stencil face), Tied Lance, Curdevic. [Google]
Manchester-based creator of the free font Assiduous (1999, +SmallCaps), after an original design by Peter Blake, who in turn mimicked the look of the typeface used by the BBC on its range of Doctor Who books and videos. He also made ThetaSigma (1999, a dingbats font which features three variations of the Doctor Who logo).
Fontspace link for Peter Blake. Fontspace link for Nick Smale. [Google]
Norfok Incredible Font Design (or NFI; was: The Horror Movie Font Dungeon, and also: The Font Dungeon)
[Thomas W. Otto]
This is one of the main horror font sites on the planet. It has commercial and free original bloody fonts made in 1998-2003 by Thomas W. Otto, Norfok Inc: Hellbound, Friday 13, Hellraiser Blood, HellraiserSC, Hellraiser3-Shadow, Hellraiser3, IStillKnow, Massacre, Nugsoth, Scream Real, Texas Chain Massacre, Maniac, Stairs People, Wishmaster, Reanimator, Waxwork, Schlafwandler, Friday 13 Bloody, Bleeding Freaks, Bloodsucking Freaks, BleedingFreaks, BloodsuckingNFI, BloodyBirdNFI, BloodyValentineNFI, BoogeymansfxNFI, BruiserNFI, Bullskrit NFI (designed in 2002 by Tom Sullivan), Children Shouldnt Play With Dead Things, CSNPWDTNFI, CreepshowNFI, DaywalkerNFI, nKnightTaglineNFI, Dunwich NFI, ElvishRingNFI, EvilDead2NFI, EvilDead3, FrankenfleshNFI, Friday13BonusNFI, Friday13bloody, HalloweenReal, HannibalLecterNFI, Hellbound NFI, Hellraiser (family), IStillKnow (1999), LastHouseOnTheLeftNFI, LeatherfaceNFI, LivingDead2, LivingDead3, Maniac, Massacre (1999), MatrixCodeNFI, NightbreedNFI, NightmareNFI, Nusgoth NFI, Pumpkinhead, Reanimator, ResidentNFI, ResurrectedNFI, ScarecrowsNFI, SchlafwandlerNFI, Scream Real, ShiningNFI, Slaughterhouse, SleepawayNFI, StairsPeople, StreetTrashNFI, TanzDerTeufelNFI, TerminatorRealNFI, ThingNFI, WishmasterCredits, Young Dracula NFI (2005), ZombiesNFI, ZreaksNFI, waxwork, Hellraiser Box Ornaments (dingbats). Alternate site. Fontspace link. Commercial fonts include the handwriting typeface Otectpray (2008), Channard NFI (2008), Dunwich NFI, and Boogeyman (2008).
Dafont link. [Google]
Dathan Boardman (Open Window) is an American type designer who lives in Eau Claire, WI, and was born in 1979. He went to UW Stout to get his BFA in Graphic Design.
Fontspace link. Klingspor link. Fontsquirrel link. Google Directory link. Google Plus link.
- Afternoon Tea (2010), an art deco typeface that is inspired by a lettering specimen featured in Letters and Lettering by Paul Carlyle and Guy Oring published in 1938.
- Art Club (2013) and Art Club Roman (2014).
- Backlash (2015, Molly Jacques Erickson and Dathan Boardman). The next step in gonzo splatter lettering scripts.
- Baseline Script (2013). A thin-lined upright script.
- Caesar Dressing Pro (2011). A Greek simulation / stone chisel face.
- Clarendon Paint (2010).
- College Dropout (2010): a sketch typeface based on athletic lettering glyphs.
- Coming Soon and Calligraffiti (2010): free fonts at the Google Font Directory. The Pro versions are commercial.
- Cowboy Stories (2013).
- Deco and Deco Hatched (2010): art deco headline typefaces.
- Doriss Girls (2013). A marquee typeface family.
- Farm Girl (2011). A hand-printed face.
- Gold Diggin (2011) hearkens back to posters from the Gold Rush Era.
- Hand of Joy (2011) is a thin connected script face.
- Headbanger (2012). A heavy metal album cover font.
- Jacky Hand. Based on the handwriting of a 6-year old child.
- Metal Mania (2012). A spurred heavy metal band font, free at Google Web Fonts.
- Miniver Pro (2011) and Miniver Air Raid Pro (2012) are based on the titling for the 1942 movie Mrs. Miniver.
- Pen Swan (2016).
- Rifleman (2012) is a painted wide-slabbed typeface.
- Shag Script (2011). Was this renamed Shrag Script?
- Sketchura (2011) is a sketch face.
- Skyline Hotel (2014).
- Some Assembly (2012). A rounded organic sans family.
- Spur Rust (2011) is a disheveled take on the spicy classic Hellenic Wide.
- Undercoat (2011). A painted version of Helvetica.
- Velvet Hammer (2014). A calligraphic script codesigned with Jen Maton.
- Wide Noise (2010) is grungy.
Great Lakes Lettering in Eau Claire, WI, showcases the type designs of Dathan Boardman and Molly Jacques Erickson. They jointly designed the illustrative handwriting font Frosted in 2012. In 2013, they co-designed the hand-drawn typefaces Saint Agnes and Icing, and the script typeface Kailey (2013).
View Dathan Boardman's typefaces. Dafont link. Creative Market link. [Google]
Ouvrez!!! Police!!! (Claude (Chloe) Derieppe)
[Claude (Chloe) Derieppe]
From Lille, France, Claude (Chloe) Derieppe's (now Madame Claude Bernollin-Derieppe) wonderful archive with many fonts displayed in an artistic manner. Specializing in music group, movie and animal theme fonts and dingbats. Go here for her own (free) creations: AbcdaireEnfantin, AgendaduDirecteur, AlphaBones, AlphaClouds, AlphaFitness (2005), AlphaGraphics, AlphaMusicMan (2004, letters with instruments built in), AlphaNails, AlphaRunning, Alpha Sports (2004, letters made of athletes), Crazy Zoo (2004, alphadings with animals), Woman Hair (2004), Elephant and Alpha Elfin (2004), Good Fellow (2005, caps typeface made from people), AlphaSmoke, AlphaTrees, Amadeus, AmericanDream, Arbitre, BeMyValentine, Bouhbouh, CDCrossword, CafeduMatin, ChatBada, ChausettesdeNoel, CountryButton, Cuicui, Elles, FirstAid, FleursdeLiane, Georges, GoodFellow, GrazingOnGrass, HalloweenBats, HalloweenSpider, JackO, JoeDiMaggio, Lucky-Font, MixedGrill, MovingCarton, PaquetCadeaux, TheFontWithNoName, Touchdown, Tourbillon, ValentineRibbon, WhiteChristmas, WienerGentilToutou, Zazou, Alpha Unplugged, Patchwork Angel, Alpha Topiary, Alpha Elfin, Alpha Paint, Wiener Gentil Toutou, Grazing On Grass, Hungry Frog, Amadeus, AmericanDream, Aquarium, Arbitre, AStarisBorn, BasicFont, Bestioles, Beurk, Bouhbouh, BrokenGlass, BzzzBee, CanadianAutumn, ChausettesdeNoel, ChloeConfetti, CheeseandMouse, CouteauSuisse, CrazyZoo, DaddyTie, DowntheDrain, DecoStamp, Boum-Boum, ExtravaDance, FleursdeLiane (1999, caps font with branches), HalloweenSpider, JoeDiMaggio, LotusPaws, Lucky-Font, MapleLeafRag, Mariposa, MissingPiece, Once-uponatime, PatchworkLetter, Georges, PanierdePaques, PetitsBateaux, RoseNote, RubanExtravaganza, ScaryMonsters, SpottyFont, StrictoSensu, SavageSausage, TavernDoors, Touchdown, Tomate, Zippo (2000), HobbyHeadline, ryp_snata1, PapaNoel, PoleNord, Three Little Pink Pigs, LuckyFont, MixedGrill, Explosif, Abcdaire Enfantin, AgendaduDirecteur, BasicFont, BzzzBee, CafeduMatin, CrackBoum, EroticaCD, FirstAid, MovingCarton, PersonaNonGrata, TacoBox (Mexican simulation face), WalkingAround. Features an erotic font archive with Big Breast Font (Lions Den), Condom Font (Lions Den), Koksure (Les Rowe), StripLetter, Martini Olive (Solar*Sister Fonts/Isabelle Trolio), SexFont (Lions Den), Marlboro (WSI), ScripteaseLetPlain (Letraset), DongCasual (Chank Diesel), Hole (Dieter Schumacher), Pigpen (Thomas Rogerstam), Pornhut (Fontalicious), MargueritaLetPlain (Letraset), and Groupsex (Fish Dicks). Plus links. Many music theme fonts. Warning: Someone reported to me that visiting this site will infect your computer with a nasty script (I could not verify this as this seems to apply to PC users only). Alternate URL. Dafont link. Dafont link. [Google]
Famous American movie title designer, b. 1935, Antilla, Oriente Province, Cuba. Pablo Ferro was raised on a remote farm before emigrating to New York with his family as a teenager. Ferro taught himself animation from a book by Preston Blair. In the mid fifties, he began freelancing in the New York animation industry for Academy Pictures and Elektra Studios. He met former Disney animator William Tytla, who became his mentor. Another peer was Stan Lee, the editor of Marvel Comics, with whom he created a series of science fiction adventure comics. In 1961 he became one of the partners to form Ferro, Mogubgub and Schwartz with animation stylist Fred Mogubgub and comics artist Lew Schwartz, and in 1964 he formed Pablo Ferro Films. Ferro worked on films such as Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove and The Thomas Crown Affair.
Wikipedia: Ferro has won over 70 national and international awards, among them numerous CLIOs, a DGA Excellence in Film Award, and several Lifetime Achievement awards. He has also received nominations from such highly regarded institutions as the Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt. In 1999 Pablo was awarded the prestigious DaimlerChrysler Design Award, and in 2000 Pablo was inducted into the Art Directors Hall of Fame.
His beautiful and quirky movie titling inspired many typefaces: [Google]
3d Artist, b. 1983, Rio Grande, Argentina. Pablo Lizardo Lives in Buenos Aires and works on animated films and other commercial projects.
Kirifont (2013) by Pablo Lizardo is a typeface designed for the brand and design elements of the Kiribati Movie. This all caps cartoon typeface was created with Inkscape and Font Forge, it was released by OFL in 2013. [Google]
Fontstructor who made Filmstrip (2011). [Google]
Very talented Montreal-based illustrator and digital artist. Home page. He created several modular typefaces in 2011.
In 2012, he created Muse, Gotham Streets (a prismatic typeface), Slinky, Stencil, Tulipe (counterless), Bad Billy (multilined, art deco), The Great Carnival (beveled caps), Web Font (prismatic), Jump Jump Font (octagonal), Fashion (a horizontally striped typeface), OK (prismatic), The Aviator (horizontally striped poster face), La Bonne Aventure (prismatic and slightly art deco), the rope-themed typeface Noeud Marin, the shadowed boat name typeface Bleu Marine, the multiline caps typeface Origami, the moustache-inspired caps typeface Mous Type (ornamental moustache-shaped capitals), the multilined display typeface Empire, the hand-drawn Une Typo Faite A La Main, and the prismatic typeface Anabelypster. After a bout of salmonella, he created Intestino, still in 2012. In Motion (2012) is an awesome prismatic art deco typeface.
Images of his stunning work from 2011: i, ii, ii, iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix, x.
His Cathédrale project (2011) starts from a squarish face and transforms it gradually into one that contains the features of a cathedral.
Creations in 2013: Shapes (geometric font), Gold Deco, Dentelle, Twist, Sleek (a thin slab serif), Say Say Say (multiline, prismatic, hypnotic), Metrick (a gridded typeface), Film Noir (an overlay type system), Tam Tam, Diner (a striped all caps typeface), Spot Light Font (prismatic), Flora, Bright Diamond, Incandescent, XVII (multilined display face), Konga (a multiline script), Shiny Diamond, Splash (paint font), Chicago (prismatic neon tube face), Taxi (a wonderful multiline typeface), Papale (religious symbology alphabet made to mock the papal system), Empreinte (pure op-art), Broken Arrow Font (multiline caps face), Liquid Paper Font, Sunset (prismatic), Boogie (Broadway-style art deco family), New Art Deco (prismatic art deco face), Poule de Luxe, Burnout (a prismatic typeface), Marble Maze Font, M Gagnon (ornamental caps influenced by the design work of Denis Gagnon).
FontStruct fonts: Test3 (2012), Jump Jump 2 (2012).
Typefaces made in 2014: Moiré, Decora, Magnetic, Noise (TV noise emulation), Yes (multilined font), Broderie (braided letters), SAS (multilined), Full House, Heart Font (prismatic), 1976 (inspired by the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal), Gold (prismatic art deco typeface), Lace, Bike.
Typefaces from 2015: Detour, Allie X, Grad Font, Duct Tape, Mint Julep (bilined art deco beauty), Hourglass, Stuntman (prismatic), La Dame de Coeur (playing card font), Fog.
Typefaces from 2016: Bro & Co (multilined art deco beauty), Macramee (multilined).
Behance link. Hellofont link (for buying his fonts). [Google]
Paolo Cancello Tortora (or Paul Gatedove) is the Italian creator of the logo font Movies and Games (2012). [Google]
Paul Wilde L'Heureux
Pedro Cruz (PCZ Design) is an art director in Porto, Portugal. He made the avant garde techno typeface click-ec (2011) for a client. Zentzua (2013) is an octagonal custom typeface. Polis (2014) is a hairline sans typeface made for the short film Polis. Epiq (2015) is a two-width typeface made for the fashion brand Epiq of Africa. Behance link. Old URL. [Google]
Pedro Javier Arbelaez
Medellin, Colombia-based designer of Vinnie Six Rounds (2013), a Western typeface based on the movie Pulp Fiction and co-designed with Daniel Hernandez and Jorge Arias Flores. [Google]
During her studies at ESAG Penninghen, Paris, Perrine Winkler created the typefaces Cat Power (lachrymal style) and New Folk (2013). In 2015, Perrine Winkler and Bernie Diril codesigned Brigitte, Karina and Pierrot, three typefaces based on the credits of Jean-Luc Godard's movies. The fonts are named after Brigitte Bardot, Anna Karina and Jean Paul Belmondo (Pierrot Le fou). Behance link. [Google]
Creator of Dango (1998) for Land of the Dead, which can be downloaded here. The font was created based on the text in the main title of the Grim Fandango game (LucasArts Entertainment). [Google]
Pete "The Hutt" Klassen created the "Lord of the Rings" movie logo font, Ringbearer Medium (2002), as well as Aniron (2004), an uncial typeface that was used in the credits of the same movie. See also here and here and here. There is also a small rune archive.
Fontspace link. Alternate URL. Dafont link. [Google]
Peter S. Bryant
Designer of Rickshaw (1991), Andromeda, Flintstone (1988), LEDFont (1994), and LRegular. Dafont link. [Google]
Designer of the Blade Runner movie font (free futuristic face, 1998). The font is also here. He also made Spinner (1999, pixel face).
Dafont link. [Google]
Creator of Harry P (a free Harry Potter font). [Google]
Foundry located in Westbury, NY, and run by Phil Bracco (b. 1981, Big Horn, MT), a graduate of the Pratt Institute. Creator of the festive signage fonts Charming Charlie PB (2009), Hip Hopper PB (2008, inspired by the lettering on an art poster by Patrick Owsley for the cartoon character Hoppity Hooper), Fat Rhino PB (2008) and Pink Broccoli PB (2008). Hideaway (2008) is a light-hearted comic flare serif typeface inspired by a 1964 Speedy Gonzalez cartoon title. More comedy in Chop Phooey (2008), Astronaut Jones (2008), Lil Rhino PB (2008), Houseguest PB (2008), Spidertoes PB (2009) and Tiny Butler (2008). Chorizo PB (2008) is inspired by some of the wild lettering of comic creator Paul Coker, Jr. Houndcats PB (2008) is a comic book sans based on a 1972 cartoon called Houndcats. Manic Mood PB (2008), Kid Captain PB (2009), Bear Club PB (2009), Hot Streak PB (2009) and Suited Horse PB (2008) have more comic book lettering. Suited Horse PB (2009) is a chalkboard font inspired by the title screen of a 1968 Walt Disney film titled, The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit. Monster Fiesta PB (2009) is a curly display typeface. Chop Chop PB (2009) is an oriental brush simulation face. Fathoms BB (2009) is a crazy sans serif font based on the titling from one of ABC's Movie of the Week series from 1969 called Daughter of the Mind. Dead Rite PB (2011) and Whipsnapper (2013) are oddball cartoon typefaces.
In 2012, Bracco published Mister Rii PB.
In 2013, Phil Bracco designed Screwby (offbeat retro style that started out as a digitization of the film typeface Surf by Lettergraphics) and Contraption (an octagonal typeface family that started out as a digitization of a film typeface called Intrigue by Lettergraphics).
Typefaces from 2014: Wonderbear PB (a cartoon typeface based on the title screens and comic books of the Hair Bear Bunch), Sackem PB (Bracco explains: Sackem started as a digitization of a singular film typeface called Benman Jumbo by Lettergraphics. From there, this mechanical typeface was expanded into a giant family of playful widths and obliques: from the condensed Slim style to the original Jumbo style).
Typefaces from 2015: Beaucoup PB (Beaucoup started as a digitization of a film typeface called Bippie by Facsimile Fonts), Luckmeister PB (offbeat, retro and cartoonish, from the vintage record cover, Music from MR. Lucky, composed and conducted by Henry Mancini), Good Grief PB (which started out as a digitization of a film typeface called Carmel by Letter Graphics), MardiKrewe PB (funky psychedelic letters, described by Phil as delightfully insane; it started as a digitization of a film typeface called MardiGras by Lettergraphics).
Klingspor link. Creative Market link.
View Phil Bracco's typefaces. [Google]
RAF Web Designs (was: ARRF Designs and RA Fonts)
Randy Ford (Sarasota, FL) has been designing typefaces since 1997. His (free) creations: Angelized, Cool Dots (this face, also called Desiree's-CoolDots, was inspired by randy's niece, Desiree Chubb), Digital Surf, Flakes, Showtime (1998, art deco), CreepyGraves, Tilez (for scrabble), Lizzard (2008, inspired by his son, Ryan), Squaresville, the magnificently beautiful HypnOtik, YearbookMess, Molecular (2008), Barcoding, Futured, Christmas.
In 2012, he created Sporedom.
Fontspace link. Fontsy link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. MyFonts link. Fontm link. Old URL. [Google]
Ramón Delgado Ramírez
Designer (b. 1991) of Metropolana (2011) who lives in Tampico, Mexico. This ultra-condensed font was modeled after the 1926 movie Metropolis. He also made a typeface after the Canon logo, called Canon (2011). Roja (2011) is pure constructivism. Nuevo Vago (2011) is hand-printed.
Dafont link. Autoportrait. Calls himself Pepe Legba. [Google]
[RAF Web Designs (was: ARRF Designs and RA Fonts)]
Or Rafael Koch. Raphael Koch (Blokes.ch, Switzerland) graduated in 1999 from Schule fĂĽr Gestaltung Luzern, Switserland. His Diploma work there, Transport, involved the development of several typefaces, and was part of a team effort by Urs Lehni, Peter Körner, Markus Wohlhüter and Rafael Koch. Koch designed the very original multiline / prismatic typeface family LL Prismaset"> (2006-2013, Lineto, with James Goggin, Alex Rich, and Mauro Paolozzi) and codesigned Lego in 1999 at Lineto with Urs and Juerg Lehni.
In 2015, Raphael Koch and Mauro Paolozzi codesigned GT Cinetype at Grilli Type. This typeface has outlines consisting of many short straight line segments, thus mimicking the now obsolete pre-digital age technique of laser printing subtitles in movies. At small sizes, the font looks very smooth, but at larger sizes, the straight segments become apparent. [Google]
Graphic designer in Ellicott City, MD, who graduated from Monmouth University. Caligari (2011) is an angular typeface that was inspired by the 1920 silent German film, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari). [Google]
Sao Paulo-based designer who created the scanbat typeface Cinebat (2013). Rey graduated from Senac in 2012. [Google]
Freelance artist from Perris, CA, who designed these fonts at Disney Experience: Gracey's Curse (2003) and Started by a Mouse (2003). Alternate URL. This site also has a Disney font archive which carries Anna, Atlantean, BedrockPlain, DecoTech, DecoTechTL, Denmark, FFVortex, IndustriaSolidA, JSL-Ancient, JupiterPlain, Manzanita, Mara, Mesquite, PSBluegumForest, PrototypeCommunity, Queensland, Ravenscroft, RubberStampLetPlain, SeizedFuture, SeizedFutureA, SeizedX-S, SenatorTall, SerpentineD-BoldItal, Skellingtonbats, SpaceAge, Spumoni, TRON, Tristan, TwyliteZone-Book, WaltDisneyScriptv4.1. [Google]
Madrid-based creator of the beveled and drop shadow typeface family Smoking Club (2013), which was inspired by titling in black and white movies. Buy the typeface at MATOI Design lab. Ogle it here.
Typophile link. [Google]
Moscovite who made the retro font Director in 2010. Having Latin and Cyrillic characters, it was designed for movie credits and titles. [Google]
A Moscovite who created a retro font for movie titles called Retrostylefont (2011).
Another URL. [Google]
Ronald Andhrad (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) was inspired by Kubrick's Clockwork Orange and a building in Rio in the design of his art deco / Futura-style stencil typeface Clockwork Orange (2011). [Google]
Australian creator of the quaint gothic typeface Rather Unfortunate (2012), which is based on the movie A Series of Unfortunate Events. Aka Roxanne Michael. [Google]
During his studies at Universidade Estadual Paulista Julio de Mesquita Filho in Sao Pualo, Brazil, Ruan Augus (Bauru, Brazil) designed the modular condensed movie titling typeface Nostra (2016). [Google]
Wisconsin-based designer (b. 1982) of Crow Graffiti (2004, based on the letters used in The Crow: City of Angels). [Google]
Creator of Cell 63 (2008). He writes: It's based on the hand-lettered credit and title cards in the movie Forbidden Zone (1980). The lettering was done by animator John Muto. In creating this font, I tried to make a clean and readable typeface, but still retain the quirkiness and charm of Muto's hand lettering. [Google]
Fontstructor who made Inception (2011), a display sans typeface based on the movie by the same name starring Leonardo Dicaprio. [Google]
Salma Hisham Aggour
Salma Hisham Aggour (Cairo, Egypt) created the Latin typeface Punk Plan and Movie Genre Pictograms during her graphic design studies in 2013 under the supervision of Sabine Schwarz at the German University in Cairo. [Google]
[Delírios de um cinemaníaco]
New York-born type designer and film director, 1920-1996, known for movie title sequences, famous logos (like that of Minolta), and that mid-20th century look. He designed the artsy Rainbow Bass (1982). MyFonts link. At Bass's site, one can find the Mac font Hitchcock made by Matt Terich. Rainbow Bass, a vertically striped disco style design, was remade by Nick Curtis as Backstage Pass (2008), Kymmera Deco NF (2011), and High Five and High Five Jive. Harold Lohner's Alumino (2008) was inspired by Saul Bass's design for the aluminum company Alcoa. Saul (Laura French, 2011) is based on the cut-out letter movie titling style used by Bass in some movies. In 2015, Robin Lassalle created Saul Bass Font to honor Saul's genre.
Jennifer Bass (his daughter) and Pat Kirkham published Saul Bass: A Life in Film&Design (2011). The book's blurb: This is the first book to be published on one of the greatest American designers of the 20th Century, who was as famous for his work in film as for his corporate identity and graphic work. With more than 1,400 illustrations, many of them never published before and written by the leading design historian Pat Kirkham, this is the definitive study that design and film enthusiasts have been eagerly anticipating. Saul Bass (1920-1996) created some of the most compelling images of American post-war visual culture. Having extended the remit of graphic design to include film titles, he went on to transform the genre. His best known works include a series of unforgettable posters and title sequences for films such as Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo and Otto Preminger's The Man With The Golden Arm and Anatomy of a Murder. He also created some of the most famous logos and corporate identity campaigns of the century, including those for major companies such as AT&T, Quaker Oats, United Airlines and Minolta. His wife and collaborator, Elaine, joined the Bass office in the late 1950s. Together they created an impressive series of award-winning short films, including the Oscar-winning Why Man Creates, as well as an equally impressive series of film titles, ranging from Stanley Kubrick s Spartacus in the early 1960s to Martin Scorsese s Cape Fear and Casino in the 1990s. Designed by Jennifer Bass, Saul Bass's daughter and written by distinguished design historian Pat Kirkham who knew Saul Bass personally, this book is full of images from the Bass archive, providing an in depth account of one of the leading graphic artists of the 20th century.
Klingspor link. [Google]
Joe Clark (Toronto) is developing special fonts for captioning and subtitling for TV and film. Joe's motto is Watching TV is bad enough. Reading TV shouldn't be worse. Two interesting sub-pages: Here he explains the difference between captioning and subtitling. Captions are basically for the deaf, and are manually turned on. They not only describe what is said or heard but also mention or show things about the intonation, style, language, or nature of the voices or sounds. Subtitling is mostly used to translate. It is generally automatically turned on, and shown at the bottom of the screen. On this page, Joe lists the main issues with captioning and subtitling and lists the many problems with popular subtitling typefaces such as Bitstream's Tiresias or Monotype's Arial. Speaker at ATypI 2007 in Brighton. [Google]
Scriptorium (Ragnarok Press, Fontcraft)
[David Fleming Nalle]
Dave Nalle was born in Beirut in 1959, but lives and works in Texas. He is currently in Manor, TX. From his wiki page: Dave Nalle is a political writer, game author and font designer who was active in the early history of the development of the internet. He is Chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus, a group that promotes libertarianism within the Republican Party and is Senior Politics Editor at Blogcritics online magazine and is the CEO of Scriptorium Fonts. A creative and prolific designer, he has made hundreds of beautiful (often historic) fonts. His outfit, Scriptorium (based near Austin, TX, est. 1989), also does custom font and logo design. At some points, Scriptorium was also known as Ragnarok Press and Fontcraft. It specializes in artsy and ancient typefaces. Some subset of the fonts is made by Michael Scarpitti. Free font demos.
Images of his best selling fonts. Special subpages:
Some selected fonts: Finchley (psychedelic), Captain Kidd (2012, an original font design based on the title lettering from the classic pirate movie starring Charles Laughton), Aerobrush (2011), Fondry Ornament (2009), Atkinson Egyptian (2008, after the lettering of Frank Atkinson), Verne (2008), Goldwork (almost blackletter), BigBlok (2010), LetterpressGothic (2010), Plymouth (2010, in the style of Cooper Bold), Broadley (2008, an architecturally inspired script based on lettering by British architect and designer C.F.A. Voysey), Locksley (2004, medieval lettering), Tuscarora (curly lettering), Fiorenza (Renaissance calligraphy), Hesperides (old colonial calligraphic script), Angelus (beautifully printed monospaced script), Esperanza (1996, connected medieval handwriting), Ithuriel (2002), Alleghieri (2002), Hamilton (2002), Spiral Initials, Zothique (great font, based on hand lettering from a map of Clark Ashton Smith's fantasy world of Zothique), Reynard (semi-Celtic), Daresiel (elegant script), Caliph (1992, Arabic simulation), Bassackwards, Rosalinde (1999, handwriting), Arakne (2000, connected handwriting), Falconis (by Michael Scarpitti), Asrafel (semi-Celtic), Swithin (2004), Tyrfing (Art Nouveau/Fraktur, 1999), Waldeck (2008, blackletter), Woburn Initials, Stampwork, Draughtwork, Roughwork (a codex font derived from Nalle's own True Golden which is based on a=n earlier typeface by arts and crafts master William Morris), Melusine (gothic calligraphy), Corbei (uncial), Niederwald (hand lettering), Gjallarhorn (great uncial), Gaiseric (early medieval uncial), Taranis (1987, an uncial first drawn as a font for the cover of the old Ysgarth roleplaying system), De Bellis (roman era, by Michael Scarpitti), Engravers Gothic, Monimental Initials, Sanhedrin (Enemy of the State font), Vespasiano (roman capitals, by Michael Scarpitti), Bilitis, Hendrix (2002), Collins OE (old English), Samedi, Praitor, Evadare (1993, based on a character set which was hand calligraphed by Rudolf Koch), Koch Fantasie (1993), Black Cow (1998). Zothique, Ruritania, Mariner (2004, based on hand lettering originally done by Willy Pogany), Trinculo (a swinging cursive font), Texas Star (2002), Octavian (antique demi-serif font), Ruffian (antique type font), Ascelon (thin sans serif font), Munich (title lettering from Munchner Jugend magazine), Necromantic (bizarre bold titling font), Titania (romantic decorative lettering font), Oberon (bold romantic font), Knotwork, Guede (1993), Pullman, Purcell (Victorian circus poster style font), Allegheny, Carmilla, Malagua (1999-2013), Ardenwood, Platthand, Buccaneer, Cochin Archaic (2010), Boswell (1994), Guilford (based on lettering by artist and calligrapher Eric Sloane), Death Ray (2012, constructivist), Alecto (futuristic), Candlemas (2003), Bridgeport (2003, based on lettering by artist and calligrapher Eric Sloane), Medieval Tiles (2003), Linthicum (2003), Draughtwork (2003), Yngling (Fraktur, 2003), Rheingold (elaborate Fraktur: Music Hall Text elsewhere; see also Teuton Text, Cincinnati Type Foundry, 1877), Kidd (2003), Belgravia (2004), Peck Shields (2004), Albrecht Durer Gothic (2004), Orpheus (2004), InduXtrial (2004, a grunge face), Yoshitoshi (2003), Veronique (2004), Veneto (2006), Vidilex (1993, monospaced), Abelarde (2006), John Speed (1993), Furbelow (2006), Estoril (2006), Tangle, Aventine (sans), Texas Star (2002), Groningen (Bauhaus design), Nevins Hand, Scrapple (2011, Victorian, ornamental), Leodegar (2011, based on samples of 7th century Frankish hand lettering), Candlemass (2012).
- Three free fonts: Onuava (a mini-serifed hybrid fixed-width font), Divona (sans), Sirona (based on Lombardic calligraphy).
- Lombardic: Aneirin, Benevento (8th century Lombardic), Cymbeline, Fabliaux, Formidable, Locksley.
- Decorative initials such as the 20th century sign lettering initials set Pencraft Initials (2009), New Saxon Initials (2016, based on work by F.G. Delamotte), Holly Initials (2010, based on Real PenWork (1880s, Knowles and Maxim), Vyones (2010), Vergennes (2001), Cascade (2009), Bergling (2010; based on initials by John M. Bergling).
- Wild West fonts: Academy, Alcalde, Atkinson Boomtown (2009, after the lettering of Frank Atkinson), Atkinson Eccentric (2009), BigIron, Cibola, Del Norte, Lachesis, Perdido, Plowright, Primer, Riudoso, Niederwald, San Lorenzo (2011, with a Mexican and Tuscan look), Stonehouse, Manquo, Rochambeau, Purcell, Vaquero.
- Arabic simulation fonts: Samaritan is based on the poster lettering of Alphons Mucha from his poster for the play La Samaritan. Serendib and Waziri are based on the hand lettering of René Bull from his edition of the Arabian Nights. Caliph (1993) is derived from Ernst Schneidler's classic Legende font, with variant characters based on his original lettering. Also: Samarkand, Satampra, Jerash, Samarkand, Isfahan.
- Celtic fonts: the fonts include Constance, Durrow (1993, traditional rendering of Insular Minuscule calligraphy), Malvern, Glendower (based on the most common lettering in the Book of Kells), Knotwork (caps based on Celtic knots), Alba Text (modernized text font based on Celtic uncial lettering), Lindisfarne (based on a square uncial style), Stonecross (1997, derived from Celtic cross and gravestone inscriptions), Celtic Spirals (dingbats), Celtic Borders font (lets you combine key strokes to form decorative borders; many frames and borders are original Celtic designs by Arts&Crafts period artists like Evelyn Paul and Louis Rhead), Spiral Initials, Brigida (based on Rudolph Koch's interpretation of a squared uncial), Macteris Uncial, Coverack (heavy non-traditional uncial), Dahaut (modernized uncial), Dunsany, Glendower, Morgow (1999, spiral uncial), Teyrnon (elaborate spurred uncial), Padstow (heavy uncial), Vafthrudnir (2011, uncial), Sualtim and Columba (decorative initials based on characters found in the Book of Kells), Albemarle (2001).
- Oriental simulation fonts: Yoshitoshi (2003, based on the 1900-style writing by Yoshi Toshi.
- Gothic fonts, including Alt Gothic, Koch Gothic, Barnabas (2011), Sternhagen (2014), Montgisard (2010, roman capitals with blackletter lower case), Serenissima, Gelderland, Alcuin, Monumental, Goldwork, Waldeck, Roncesvalles, Montressor (2010, ornamental blackletter capitals), T4C Beaulieux (1998, a free copy here), Bastarda (2011), Burgundian, Cadeaulx, Collins Old English, Courtrai, Descant, Ereshkigal, Faustus, Franconian (1993, a Schwabacher), Froissart (2000), Ghost Gothic, Katisha, Koch Gothic, Ligeia, Magdeburg, Magdelena, Melusine, Pyle Gothic, Rheingold, Sanctum, Stuttgart Gothic (2010), Textura, Theodoric, Yngling (2002).
- German expressionist: Dromon.
- Renaissance fonts: Monumental Gothic, Caswallon (a Caslon family), humanist cursive (Palmieri, Castiglione and Hanes Italic), quirky Italian cursives (Fiorenza and Alleghieri), a Roman style hand-lettered font (Rudolfo and Rudolfo Swash), a Trajan-style Roman lettering (Hadrianus), a classic flourished cursive (Trinculo) and a set of floral intials from the Quattrocento (Fraticelli).
- Modern poster fonts: Ascelon, Bilitis, Cosmic Dude, Dromon, Ducatus Rough, Eglantine, Ekberg (2002, based on Samuel Welo's posters), Fortinbras, Hamilton, Jambon, Oblivion, Posada (2008, based on the poster lettering of Mexican artist José Guadalupe Posada), Squiffy, Suspicion, Magnin (2003).
- Mapmaker fonts: building elements are available in Basilica; Ortelius is a map dingbat font; Queensland (based on lettering by artist and calligrapher Eric Sloane), is bold, hand-drawn and reminiscent of medieval writing on maps. There are also Brandywine, Daresiel, Hesperides, Longhorne, Windlass (1996), and Cityscape. Orford (2008) is based on samples of hand lettering from a 1693 manuscript collected by Lewis Day in his classic book on historical paleography, Alphabets Old and New.
- Calligraphic fonts: Albemarle (2001), Azariel, Moncrief (2011, based on the calligraphy of J.M. Bergling), Pavane, Rasael (2009), Abdiel (2005), Roncesvalles, Gazardiel (2003, connected script), Spoonbill (2003, arts and crafts), Macteris (Roman uncial font), Antioch Uncial (Roman uncial font), Burgundian (Classic black letter font), Franconian (993, a classic black letter font), Castiglione (Attractive Renaissance lettering), Cicero (Roman Rustica font), Formidable (1993, very bold late medieval / Lombardic style), Collins Old English (Classic Old English style gothic), Corbei Uncial (Roman uncial font), Cymbeline (late medieval lettering), Durrow (Standard insular minuscule uncial font), Theodoric (Classic black letter font), Gazardiel, Ghost Gothic (Unusual gothic font), Glendower (Uncial font based on Book of Kells), Gloriana (Interesting hand lettering style), Folkard (from the hand-lettering of Charles Folkard), Offenbach Chancery, Ranegund Merovingian Courthand, Benevento (8th century Lombardic), Hesperides.
- Art deco typefaces: Lyceum (2014), Borealis (2009), Criterion (2011), Illuminata, Madding (2009, a bold poster font that grew out of Aventine), Alexandrine (2009), art Deco Stencil (2009, based on samples of Art Deco stencil lettering by Pedro Lemos), Falmouth.
- Art nouveau typefaces: Acadian, Agravain (2009), Amphitryon (2009), Ariosto, Asphodel, Averoigne, Beaumains (2011, based on J.M. Bergling's lettering), Beauvoir, Belgravia (based on J.M. Bergling), Bernhardt (based upon the lettering of the Czech art-nouveau artist Alphonse Mucha), Bentham, Berenicia, Boetia (2003, based on J.M. Bergling's lettering), Bruges, Bucephalus (1993), Burd Ellen (2009), Butterfield, Curetana, Damariscotta, Elsene (2011, based on lettering by early 20th century illustrator Clara Elsene Peck), Elysian, Exotique, Flaubert, Gaheris, Ganelon, Gehenna, Goodfellow, Harbinger, Jugendstil Kunsthand (2003), Lysander, Maginot (1993; after Peter Schnorr, 1898), Munich (after the Munchner Jugend magazine), Norumbega, Odeon, Ormandine (2010), Pantagruel, Phaeton, Reggio, Rochmbeau, Rockne (2009), Rudolfo, Setebos, Sprite, Summerisle, Sylphide (2005), Undine, Valentin (2008), Vambrace (2010), Walhal, Wendingen (2016), Zeitschrift (2016, based on the Ver Sacrum magazine).
- Modern poster fonts: Field Day (2003), Ascelon, Bilitis, Cosmic Dude, Dromon, Ducatus Rough, Eglantine, Ekberg (2002, based on Samuel Welo's posters), Fortinbras, Hamilton, Jambon, Oblivion, Squiffy.
- Constructivist fonts: Krasny Mir (2009), Vrubel, Structura (1997).
- Futuristic fonts: Alecto, Angelus, Circuit, Culdrose, Gearhead, Ironclaw, Parika, Sanhedrin, Semiramis (1997), Slither, Structuro, Yazata, Adastra (dings).
- Borders and ornaments. These include New Arets and Crafts Borders (20912, based on The Calendar of Golden Thoughts (Barse and Hopkins Publ, 1911).
- Boneyard fonts: Undertaker (2014), Antrobus (2010), Sepultura (2002), Halloweenies, Dementia, Boneyard, Skull and Bones, Malagua (1999-2013), Paleos (2002, from titling of B movies in the cave girl genre), Carmilla, Abaddon, Black Cow (1998), Valdemar, Cuede, Ligeia, Mayhem, Mephisto, Golgotha, Sanguinary, Ironworks, Moravia, Gehenna, Nosegrind (2005, graffiti), Corpus, Ghostly.
- School fonts: Schoolhand (2010).
- Arts and Crafts movement (late Victorian period, 19th century), based on work and lettering by Walter Crane, William Morris, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Elbert Hubbard. The Arts&Crafts movement was enormously influential on the works of designers, artists and architects of the 20th century, and inspired the Art Nouveau and Art Deco movements. Fonts include William Morris' Kelmscott (based on Morris' Troy type), and True Golden, fonts from the Glasgow branch of the movement like Chelsea Studio (1997), which is based on Charles Rennie Mackintosh's lettering, fonts from the Roycrofters of New York like Semiramis and Ganelon, fonts based on Walter Crane's work such as Crane Gothic, Pencraft Initials (2009) and Walter Crane, and even fonts from the California Arts&Crafts period of the early 1900s like Coloma. Other typefaces: Jesse M. King (refreshed in 2015, and based on hand lettering from a frontispiece design by Glasgow-based Jessie King who was known for her lavish book covers), Aylward, Palmyra (based on work by the Roycrofters, a design community founded by Elbert Hubbard), Aylward (2010, Victorian), Hyacinth Initials, Spoonbill, Adresack (1996), Brandywine, Changeling (2009, based on lettering by fairy artist Fanny Railton), Goddard, and Advertising Gothic (2003), Valentin, Gaheris, Agravain (2009). Delaguerra (2001-2009) is based on a lettering style originating in the California Arts&Crafts period commonly associated with Mission Style. It is still in common usage in signage at historical sites in California.
- Victorian: Beaumarchais, Berenicia, Bilibin, Brandywine, Brigidis, Curetana, Durendal, Elphinstone, Flaubert, Folkard, Gjallarhorn, Gloriana, Hermia, Ironclaw, Magnus.
- Typewriter: Fontcraft Courier.
- Anthroposophic: Ekberg (2002, based on a sample of poster lettering by Samuel Welo).
- Medieval fonts of Scriptorium, critiqued by Marc Smith, page 65: Batwynge is based on lettre gffe by Geofroy Tory (1529), and not on an illuminated manuscript of the tenth century as claimed by Scriptorium.
Fonts from 2013: Doge (a Venetian font based on a J.M. Bergling revival), Original Django (after the titling font in Quentin Tarantino's movie Django Unchained).
Fonts from 2014: Highball, Carillon (based on a typeface by Samuel Welo), Edifice (based on lettering by J.M. Bergling).
Fonts from 2015: Gods of mars (an inline sci-fi typeface), Rykov (based on a 1930s Ukrainian constructivist style; Latin and Cyrillic), Vie Moderne (French art deco), Dahlgren.
Fonts from 2016: Zeitschrift (an art nouveau font based on the Ver Sacrum magazine), Wendingen (Dutch deco), Memento Mori (Tuscan), Rounders (art deco).
Klingspor link. Abstract Fonts link. Dafont link.
View David Nalle's typefaces. [Google]
Designer in Madrid, Spain, who created the ancient movie theater marquee font Cinerama (2015). [Google]
Free and commercial fonts by Dennis Ludlow (Sharkshock Productions, Raleigh, NC), such as Hot Pizza (2001), Hawaiian Punk, Royal Acidbath, Little Caesar, Subway, Holiday India, Mobsters, Dallas Cowboys (Western look, 2004), Dark Crystal, Queen of Camelot (2015), Green Eggs and Spam (2015), Ludlow Strong Ale (2015, German beer label font), Space Angel (2014), Electrox, Cowboys, Dolphins, Viking Stencil, Lexust (2002), Padaloma (2002), Fujita Ray (2002), Willy Wonka, Hursheys, Grinched (a Halloween or beatnik font), Honda, Busch Gardenz, Holiday India (2000), Simpsons, Blockbusted, IHOP, Chicken Fool A, Playtoy, Cowboys (2001), Dreamscar (2001, has a Cyrillic version), Mr. Goodbaur, Dr. Peppers, Oreos, Air Millhouse, Fruitopia, Raiders, TGI Friday, Jolly-Raunchy, Mouser, Pirate-Keg, Fujita Ray (2015), Modeccio (2015, art deco), Wendyville (2015, Western), Vonique 64 (2015, avant-garde style), Your Royal Majesty (2015, a unique blackletter-inspired vampire script), Hackney Block (2015), Thunder Lord (2015, an outlined variant of Raiderfont), Republica Minor (2015), News of the World (2015: a news headline font), TH3 Machine (2015), Funkrocker (2015, inky, grungy), Tiki Tropic (2015: a tiki font), TypoGraphica (2015, a strong geometric sans), Vonique 92 (2015, circle-based fashion sans), Reisenberg (2015, a black titling sans). There is also a medium-sized categorized archive, with subsections such as cartoon fonts and movie fonts.
Typefaces from 2016: Grinched 2.0 (an update of Grinched), Red Seven (futuristic), Enchanted Land (derived from the blackletter genre), Freakshow (ornamental ransom note font), Deutschlander (a condensed sans for movie credits and similar applications).
On August 28, 2001, Dennis announced that he would stop producing fonts, forever.
Dafont link. Creative Market link. [Google]
Sharp & Type
Typefoundry set up by Juan Casco (Puyo, Ecuador) in 2013. Its typefaces as of 2014 include Jeniffer Script (a vampire script), Darkshire JZ (by Jeniffer Zuñiga), Frozen Script (by Juan Casco), Tramonta, Elrie Roman, Linexter (by Juan Casco), Refugiatta Bold, Ninja Turtles (modular and squarish), Frozen Roman, Guardians of the Galaxy (octagonal sci-fi face).
In 2015, Juan designed Huntsman, Funpool / Deadpool (movie titling font), Antman (based on the movie), Daredevil, Iron Tech (octagonal, techno), Limon Script (signage script), Viaje Script, Camomila (script), and The Marauders (a pirate typeface).
Typefaces from 2016: Atemporal (blackboard bold style), Symphony Script (calligraphic).
Behance link. Home page. Creative Market link. [Google]
Designer of the free font Homo Novis (1999), based on the lettering that appears in the opening credits of the 1992-1995 series The Tomorrow People.
Dafont link. [Google]
Sierra Kamatchus is a Minnesota-based designer and alumna of University of Minnesota Duluth. In 2014, she codesigned the vintage silent film typeface Good Bad Man with Chank Diesel. She explains: This historic revival font was created especially for use in the preservation and restoration of the 1914 silent film "The Good Bad Man," starring Douglas Fairbanks. There is only one copy of the original film print in existence, and when the film was restored for a screening at the San Francisco Film Festival in 2014 the new font was created to best recreate the intent of the original lettering in the film. It is a smooth and pleasant vintage lettering style, original designed for use on silver screens, now fully rendered in OpenType and ready for you to use in your designs or web pages today. Read about this story here. [Google]
London-based creator of the free shaded caps font Airbag (2013), which imitates the successful genre of Trend (Latinotype). Before Breakfast (2013) is a free hand-printed typeface. Packt (2013) started out from watercolor lettering. Distractor (2013) is a tweetware grungy slab serif reminiscent of letterpress---it is partially based on Bevan. In Limbo is a free vernacular typeface. Typefaces from 2014: Type Old Writer, Before Breakfast, Hitchcut (a dadaist typeface designed to honor Hitchcock's Vertigo and Saul Bass), Separator (octagonal), Dirty Slab (letterpress emulation), Enfold (hand-drawn).
Typefaces from 2015: Buckley, Buckley Serif, Bold Riley (a hand-crafted serif), Balham to Brooklyn (fifties script), Petit Jardin, Gently Script, Troupe (an inline Tuscan typeface), Mr. Blue Sky (an inline typeface), Moorgate (fat brush font), Sunshine, Dogtown (grunge), Gods Own Junkyard (neon sign font, named after Chris Bracey's neon sign store in London), Teardrop (watercolor brush with dripping ink), Western Grit, In The Wood, Gallow Tree (brush font), Thirsty Dog (scratchy brush), Dear Prudence.
Typefaces from 2016: Mister Rooster, Whippin Piccadilly (hand-crafted), Bangers & Mash, Mr. Chumley.
Behance link. Another Behance link. Creative Market link. [Google]
FontStructor who made Tolkien Dwarvish (2010), Regality (2011, kitchen tile face), Regal (2011), Bit Trip (2011, from the Bit Trip series of games), TRON Legacy (2010, +Full, +UC: futuristic, after the movie), Negative UC (2010), Razorback UC (2010). [Google]
Australian, b. 1992. He created the serif display typeface Torchwood (2009), which was based on the TV show Torchwood: Children of Earth. [Google]
Chilean designer of the Easter dingbat fonts Easter Eggs ST (2014) and UnTaRot ST (2014). Other free typefaces from 2014 include Shapes St, Stupenda ST, Grafeno (connect-the-dots), Puente Estrecho (hairline), Tipo Capital, Cuadrada (dot matrix style), Apurado Royitto (arched typeface), Brillante, Novation Box, Rudasteria, Presidiario (horizontally striped typeface), Puente Nuevo, Rockmia ST (a glaz krak face), Boceto ST (outlined typeface), Puente Bueno ST, Open 24 Display ST (LED font), Iniciales ST, Floreada ST, Concadenado ST, Phantom ST, Santiago Sans ST, Es La Dura WN ST, Ledsitex ST, Imnova ST, Cinema ST, Cathedral ST, And Run ST (textured caps typeface), Older ST (textured face), Asrelurio ST, Hearts ST, Other Display ST (LED font), Salpicado ST, Adornada ST, Extragna Rara ST, Fichas ST, LED Simple ST (dot matrix font), Dominos ST, News Papers, Our Display ST (LED emulation), Lineal Simples ST, Cuadradex Simple ST (hexagonal face), Edournida ST (a textured typeface), Tripleled ST (dot matrix), Bicolors ST, Absolutamente Rou ST, Flowers ST, Leders (dot matrix), Old Computer ST, Rounded Display ST, Lediz (dot matrix face), Alien Faces ST, Westranga (textured), Rostros y Emociones (smilies), Filligrees and Ornaments ST, Demionatibu and Cube Face ST.
Typefaces from 2015: Shapes ST (kaleidoscopic ornaments), Questra Extra ST. Dafont link. [Google]
SpaceStation (also: hmeneses)
Mexican designer of Spiderman (1997), made after the 1979 movie by that name. He also designed the futuristic CloneWars (2003). He uses the nickname Hmeneses, and copyrights his fonts to "SpaceStation". Another font is Underworld, based on the movie Underworld Evolution (2006), as an alternative to Jim Marcus's commercial typeface T26 Eremaeus. [Google]
Squared B-Movie Fonts
Choices suggested by the typophiles: Turista Gorda NF (Nick Curtis), WPA Gothic (Stephen Coles), FF Moderne Gothics (Jim Parkinson), Elephantmen (John Roshell), Gibbons Gazette (John Roshell and Dave Gibbons), Molot (Roman Yershov), Kimberley (Ray Larabie), Morgan Poster Black (Mario Feliciano). [Google]
Star Wars font archive. [Google]
Stereotypes is Sascha Timplan, a German type and graphic designer from Trier, b. 1979, who studied Communication Design at FH Trier.
He created these typefaces:
- 2009: St Substance, St Booka Shade (purely geometric), ST Moviehead, an ultra-condensed family (Dafont), St. Atmosphere (fat, rounded), St Transmission (free), St Shadowplay, St-Lorie (connected upright script), St Notorious (after the titling font in Hitchcock's Notorious---a beautiful high-legged serif face), St Technique, St Atmos (a commercial ink trap plaything), St Mika, Apfelstücke (a hookish face).
- 2010: St Marie (a nice free typewriter typeface), St Ryde, Fridge (casual sans family), St Frika, Friska.
- 2011: Elsa (sans), Villa Didot (this layered font family was created for the posters of the club VillaWuller).
- 2012: Florence (a swashy poster typeface that was also influenced by VillaWuller), St Transmission (industrial sans), Flenja (a narrow retro didone family), Christmas Numerals.
- 2013: Sarre (sans), Prism (prismatic, multiline typeface, influenced by Rudolf Koch's Prisma and Herb Lubalin's Avant garde).
2014: Timplan published a large antiqua family with wedge serifs in the heavier weights, Christel Text excepted, partitioned into three subfamilies, Christel Text, Christel Display, and Christel Poster. His main contribution in 2014 is the great Stereotesque (a grotesque family). Together with Lukas Bischoff, he created the athletic lettering typeface family Atletico.
Behance link. Blog. Klingspor link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. Interview by MyFonts in 2014.
Showcase of Sascha Timplan's fonts. [Google]
Designer of King Luau (2007, oriental brush face), Sunshine State (2011), Reno Casino (2010), Christmas Mouse (2009, dingbats that include snow crystals), Buka Bird (2009, inspired by the characters seen on "Lilo&Stitch" movie and "Stitch's Great Escape" attraction at Walt Disney World), Haunted Mouse (2009, Halloween font), Space Encounter (2008, inspired by the font seen at WDW Stitch's Great Escape), Space Encounter (2008, inspired by the font seen at WDW Stitch's Great Escape), Spaceship Bullet (2008, inspired by the font seen at WDW Stitch's Great Escape), Kringle Castle (2007), Kringle Castle Night (2007), Empire State Deco (2006), Pieces of Eight (2006, a degraded pirate era font, inspired by the characters on the attraction poster "Pirates of the Caribbean"), Frosty's Winterland (2006), TS Curly (2006), Dharma Initiative Logos (2006), TS Block (2006), Market Deco (2006, sans), Star Trek Annual Magazine (2006), Aero Font One (2006, psychedelic), Mouse Deco (2006, geometric sans), Island of Misfit Toys (2006), Airline Logos Past (2006), Wrestling Logos (2006), AndersonTheMysterons (2006), AndersonTheSecretService (2006), Anderson-Four-Feather-Falls (2006), AndersonSpace1999Dings (2006), AndersonUFO (2006), FederationStarfleetHull23rd (2006), AndersonStingray (2006), AndersonThunderbirdsAreGO! (2006), AndersonTorchyTheBatteryBoy (2006), Anderson Fireball XL5 (2006, brush face), Anderson Supercar (2006, display sans), Anderson Captain Scarlet (2005), Jonny Quest Classic (2005, connected 50s script seen in the Hanna-Barbera cartoons from 1964) and Anderson Dings 1, 2 and 3 (2005-2006). Anderson refers to Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation. Aka Supercarguy. Mouse Tags (2009) is inspired by icons seen at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Tango (2010) is a hand-printed display family. Fontsy link. [Google]
Stiggy & Sands
Stiggy & Sands is the American typefoundry of Brian Bonislawsky and Jim Lyles, est. 2013. Their first commercial typefaces, all jointly designed, are Sante Pro (2013, a tall upright connected script), Rum Raisin (2013, inspired by the lettering from a vintage Kellogg's Raisin Bran cereal box), Maiden Orange (2013), Luckiest Softie Pro (2013, a rounded comic book typeface that was inspired by hand-lettered vintage 1950s advertisement), Smokum Pro (2013, a Western typeface), Carioca Script Pro (2013, inspired by the lettering on the RCA Records Stereo Action Series in the 1960s), Uncial Antiqua Pro (2013), Spicy Rice Pro (2013: psychedelic or disco), Ultra Pro (2013: a Clarendon or wood style slab serif), Quintessential Pro (2013: calligraphic), Bruno Ace Pro (a techno/automoive font), Aclonica Pro (2013), Special Elite Pro (grungy typewriter), Audiowide Pro (2013: organic techno face), Peralta Pro (2013: a bouncy cartoon font), Englebert (2013: inspired by the title screen of the 1930s film Der Blaue Engel starring Marlene Dietrich), McLaren Pro (2013: comic book style), Galindo (2013: a comic book typeface with square counters), Margarine Pro (2013), Righteous Pro (2013), Mouse Memoirs Pro (2013, cartoonish), Risque Pro (2013, funky style), Luckiest Guy Pro (a fat comic book font based on vintage 1950s ads), Original Surfer Pro (2013, an an offbeat sans serif font bursting at the seams with lively personality. Inspired by a vintage advertisement for the California Cliffs Caravan Park, this font exudes all of the fun of a summer vacation anytime of the year), and Marcellus Pro (a flared roman inscriptional typeface with both upper and lower case, originally published in 2012 by Astigmatic).
Typefaces from 2014: Purple Purse Pro (an offbeat didone based on a vintage Ivory Soap ad from the fifties).
Typefaces from 2015: Shojumaru (an oriental simulation font inspired by a movie poster for the 1957 film titled Sayonara, starring Marlon Brando), Sacramento (connected script), Bazaruto (a decorative set of typefaces inspired by wrought iron, Letters and Lettering by Carlyle and Oring, and didones), Maiden Orange Inline Pro.
Typefaces from 2016: Ribeye Pro, Shojumaru Pro (oriental style), Freckle Face Pro.
MyFonts link. Creative Market link. [Google]
Mehmet Abaci (b. 1978) is based in Istanbul. In 2014, he established Studio Typo, where one can buy his typefaces. Limited forms of the fonts can be downloaded fpr free from the Dafont site.
Creator of the elegantly plump rounded sans typeface Vinyl Cuts (2013), Samatya (2013, a unicase piano key typeface), Boldie (2013), Laundry Day (2013, alphadings), and the wood log typeface Timbers (2013).
Typefaces from 2014: Smush, Slim Fir (athletic lettering), Typonome, Typo Slab, Neons, E-Square (sci-fi typeface), Screamer, Typoline (piano key typeface), Omniblack (flared display face), Papillons (flared caps), Typoster (a great fat geometric slab serif typeface family accompanied by an equally great shadowed outline style), Typo Comica (a family drawn to compete with Comic Sans), Tipo Press, Manyeto (calligraphic), Quatroline (prismatic typeface), Wardoom, Cabold Comic, Digiform, Akaju (oily fat typeface with lighting effects), Almira, Bonebastic, Comic White Rabbit, Sinema (a bit of retro movie art deco), Sober, Cali Brush, Tiny Plate, College Player, Smart Kid, Barbed, Wideroy, Angella (+outline: a poster family), Megi Sans.
Typefaces from 2015: Bro 4D (outlined 3d capitals), Typo GeoSlab, H&B Sketch (a gorgeous sketched didone), Mixiva (a six-style athletic lettering slab serif family), Typo Sketch (sketched font), Malter Sans, Parole Script, Degaws (a great sketch font), Typo Comics, Gribal, Gribal Shadow, Early Times (a sans family), Quizma (an elegant sans family), Super Seven (shaded), Typo Slab Inline, Type Slab Irregular, Geoma (hairline geometric sans), Double Bubble (bubblegum typeface), Mona Bella, Typo Grotesk, Typo Grotesk Rounded, The Matic, Typografix (avant garde sans), Move X (techno family), Savaro Stencil (in the geometric style that is characteristic of Futura Black), MindBlue (sans), A Space.
Typefaces from 2016: The Wireframe, Typo Coillege (athletic lettering), Halftone Poster, Chocolate Bar (oily and gleaming), Type Round (circle-based sans typeface family).
Dafont link. Home page. Fontspace link. [Google]
Designer at FontStruct in 2008 of the film strip typeface Letter Squares, and Letter Circles. [Google]
During her studies at Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online, Susan Young created the hand-crafted poster typeface Schindler's List (2015), which is based on the titling in the ads for Steven Spielberg's movie. [Google]
TDC INTRO 012: TDC Title Design
International competition which recognizes excellence in movie title design. Type design for commercials and corporate videos are eligible subcategories. [Google]
Thank You For Smoking
The fantastic opening scene of Thank You For Smoking (2006) features a dozen packs of cigarettes. The fonts are identified by Stephen Coles. [Google]
The Computer Graphics Site
[George Edward Purdy]
Two futuristic fonts by George Edward Purdy, Cyberspace (based on the font used in the 1998 MTV awards) and Robotech (from the TV series by that name), Cartoonist Kookie, as well as Emoticons (2000).
Fontspace link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
The Flea Pit
UK-based Kevin Wilson (The Flea Pit) designed these free fonts: Wonka Bar, Catwoman, Shrek. All made in 2005. In 2004, he created The Goonies, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Hey You Guys and Unfortunate Events. It also has a movie font database. [Google]
The Movie Title Stills Collection
A large data base of movie title images collected by Christian Annyas (Amsterdam). [Google]
The Northern Block (TNB)
The Northern Block (TNB) is Jonathan Hill's foundry based in Leeds and/or Sheffield and/or Newcastle, UK, est. 2006. The designer and funder is Jonathan Hill (b. Sheffield, 1971) who lives in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK. Maria Pigoulevskaya joined The Northern Block as type designer in 2012. Home page. Free fonts by Jonathan Hill can be found at Dafont and Fontspace.
Another Dafont link. MyFonts link. Hellofont link. Behance link. Klingspor link. Abstract Fonts link. Alternate URL.
In 2010, he started FontStructing typefaces. His first was the grungy wooden plank typeface Timber Remnants. Also in this category is Laser Disco (2008, futuristic).
Typefaces from 2006 until 2008: Sylar (2008, a techno family in 16 styles), Geta Robo (2008, a mechanical typeface influenced by Japanese animation), Arctic Patrol (angular family), Dokter Bryce (2008, octagonal and severe), Orange Royale (2008, 8 styles of fat techno and stencil fonts), CorTen (2008, octagonal ultra-fat stencil), QueueBrick (2008, LED simulation), Center Forward (2008, futuristic), Platform One (2008, a futuristic family), Line Wire (2008, octagonal, influenced by the work of Dutch designer #Wim Crouwel), StealWerks (2006, LED-inspired stencil face; published at T-26) and Blockout (2007, 5 weights of a futuristic blocky type family). In 2008, these were followed by more computer-related typefaces such as VideoTech (futuristic), JoyRider and AstroNaut (octagonal+futuristic, now at T-26). WerkHaus (2008) is a 5-style family inspired by the minimal sans typefaces of Herbert Bayer and the Bauhaus movement.
Typefaces from 2009: Scriber (2009, octagonal techno family), Get A Robo (2009, a 10-weight mechanical family influenced by Japanese animation (Anime)), Ten Gu (2009, paperclip font remastered from the 1970's Letragraphica font Tangui), Orange Royal (2009, rounded stencil), VideoTech (2009, inspired by computer games for the Commodore 64), SkyWing (2009, rounded typeface inspired by Japanese computer console games, such as Captain Tsubasa created by Yoichi Takahashi), VanBerger (2009, an octagonal family influenced by the De Stijl movement), Logan Five (2009, techno family inspired by the 1976 sci-fi film Logan's Run), Zaius (2009, a bold sans family that includes a stencil style, all based on Ed Benguiat's work for the 1968 movie poster for Planet of the Apes), Oric Neo (2009, a free octagonal techno family; +Stencil), VanBerger Stencil (2009, a free geometric sans influenced by Theo Van Doesburg and the De Stijl movement), Aldo (2009, +Open: a bold stylized type typeface re-worked from the original 1970s movie poster The Battle For The Planet Of The Apes), Sylar Stencil.
Typefaces from 2010: Intropol (2010; image), Arcle (a monoline organic sans), Hoxton (humanist sans family), Lintel (monoline sans family with a large x-height), Knul (monoline sans), Dohrma (a machismo geometric face; +Inline), Planer (a technical writing family), Otomo (a Japanese techno family that includes a stencil), Yodo (a geometric experimental family in 3 weights), Nu Order (a sans family that includes a very thin weight), PyeMan (2009, a piano key font named after the PacMan game), ProtoFet, DraftWerk (a minimal rounded typeface inspired by architecture and furniture detail drawings), DyeLine (a geometric face with a great hairline weight), Cobol (2010, great octagonal monowidth face), Draftwerk (architectural lettering), Olympik (a gorgeous multiline family based on Letraset's Optex, 1970), Kaine (a slab family inspired by 1960s spaghetti westerns: +Stencil, +Outline, +Italic +Block; Hill says that The grid template is based on Welt Extra Bold from Letraset with detailed changes, additional characters and new style variations.), Brion (a modernization and extension of A. Mailay's rounded sans font Arpad (1971, VGC); Kaine Block, the counterless version, is free at Dafont). Mekon (2010) is a fat sans display typeface with a free horizontally striped style. MarkusLow (2010) is a revival and extension of Basilea (1965, Markus Low, VGC). Teletex (2010; +Ultra Light, +Light, +Medium) is a typewriter style slab serif whose design was influenced by Rockwell.
Typefaces from 2011: Dekal (nice fat multiline family, +Inline), Norpeth (2011, a humanist neutral sans family), Bosko (+Stencil, +Block), Bosko Block (2011, free), Woolworth (sans family), NeoGram (sans family), Juhl (an organic/ geometric sans family with the bowls of b, c, d. p and q modeled after chairs). Millar (2011) is a simple monoline sans family. Tondu (2011) is a strong sans poster face. Gelder Sans (2011) is a clean modern sans serif typeface. Brokman (2011) is a contemporary 10-style sans family. Vitro (2011) is a monoline geometric sans family. Beval (2011) is a humanist sans family. Nurom (2011), Monsal (2011), Tadao (2011) and Kuro (2011) are additional sans families. Heltar (2011) is a revamping, TNB style, of Helvetica. Regan Slab is a readable slab family. It was followed in 2012 by Regan (the sans version) and Regan Alt.
Jonathan Hill's most popular typefaces.
Type designs done in 2012: Hackman (elliptical sans), Borda (octagonal), Savile (humanist sans), Metrik (a nice geometric---borderline organic---sans family), Metral (rounded octagonal typeface), Uniman, Kobern (a strong sans), Reznik (techno sans).
Type designs from 2013 by Jonathan Hill: Nauman (a humanist sans family with attention paid to the triple (1, i, j)), Gunar, Nuber, Eund (a modulated sans), Corbert (Bauhaus-inspired sans), Corbert Condensed.
Typefaces from 2014: Byker (geometric sans), Schar (humanist sans), Loew (geometric sans), Bitner (spurless organic sans named after bitcoins), Modum, Modum.
Typefaces from 2015: Facto (a simple sans family with large x-height), Halcom (influenced by Futura), Scharf, Itoya.
Typefaces from 2016: Hoxton North (a condensed humanist, very British, sans), Celdum (geometric sans).
View Jonathan Hill's typefaces. Another list of Jonathan Hill's fonts. Interview in 2014. [Google]
The Price is Right Font Archive
The Price is Right Font Archive is an archive of fonts also used on TV game shows. There are also original fonts, specially created for the site: from David Frangioso, we have 3Strikes, AnyNumber (LED style face), BuyorSell, DiceGame, FlippyFloppy, HiLo (stencil), Optional, Pathfinder, Plinko2000 (2004), Punchboard, SecretX, ThatsTooMuch. These were all made in 2003, except where indicated. We also find these fonts by Jay Lewis, made in 1999: EggCrate, RangeGame, SportsType, VaneI. The full list in the archive: 3Strikes, ATROX-normal, AntiqueOliNorP-Regu, AnyNumber, Arcane, AuroraBT-RomanCondensed, Banco, BroadwayBT-Regular, BudmoJiggler, BudmoJigglerBold, Businko, BuyorSell, CACLaskoEvenWeight, City-Bold-Bold, Clarendon, ClassicLuckySevenNumbers, Collegiate-Norm, Compstyle, Cookie, CooperBT-Black, CooperBT-BlackItalic, Cupertino, DavidaBoldBT-Regular, DiceGame, Digiface, Dolphins, DomCasual, EggCrate, EurostileTBlack, EyeDrops, FlamencoD, FlippyFloppy, FrankfurterD, Fusion, Glopentine-Bold-Bold, GoudyHandtooledD, HiLo, HotTamale, Impact, Incised901BT-Black, KaufmannBT-Bold, Logger-Regular, LowWe-Regular, Marlboro, OcrA-Regular, OldTowneNo536D, Olympia-HeavyIta, Optional, Ottoman-Bold, PT-BananaSplit, Pathfinder, Plinko2000, Pricedown, Punchboard, Pythagoras, RangeGame, RodeoRegular, SavedByZero, SecretX, Signature-Regular, Slicker, SportsType, Stilla, Swiss721BT-BoldCondensedOutline, Swiss721BT-Roman, Swiss721BT-RomanCondensed, ThatsTooMuch, Tonight, Traffic, Tudor-Semi-Lite, VAGRoundedBT-Regular, VaneI. [Google]
The SciFi World
Star Wars and Sci Fi font archive run by Gilles Nuytens from Brussels. [Google]
Harry Potter font archive: HarryP (Phoenix Phonts & GeM), HogwartsWizard (2000, created for Warner Brothers by Hallmark Cards, Inc. All rights reserved. Based on style by Connie Smiley. Font Developer: Bud Braman), Inkpot (2000, created for Warner Brothers by Hallmark Cards, Inc. All rights reserved. Designed by Calvert Guthrie), Lumos (Carpe Saponem Fonts), Parry Hotter (Anke Art), Parseltongue (2000, Carpe Saponem Fonts). [Google]
Graduate of Biel's School of Design, and now based in Bern, Switzerland. Designer of Lunica (2014, Die Gestalten), a monoline serif font available in four styles, plus italics: thin, light, regular and medium. Inspired by the basic letterforms of the cinema subtitles during his years in Stockholm, Thomas Hirter was compelled to add serifs to reflect the charm of the Swedish language. The serifs are abstracted with a geometric quarter circle leading to a highly individual typeface with poetic character. Home page. [Google]
Thomas R. Gabrielli
Designer of CHANL, a TV channel logo font. See also here and here. [Google]
Thomas W. Otto
[Norfok Incredible Font Design (or NFI; was: The Horror Movie Font Dungeon, and also: The Font Dungeon)]
Tiresias: Critique by Joe Clark
Joe Clark (Toronto) deflates the balloon blown up by Bitstream regarding John Gill's Tiresias, which was specially developed for screen captioning. His main points:
- It was tested on only a few dozen people, but is marketed as a font for everyone.
- Some of the tests for this claimed caption and subtitle font used printouts, not captions or subtitles.
- It is claimed to be superior to typefaces like Times, even though what were talking about are screenfonts, not print fonts.
- It costs up to $17,500, but it does not even have an italic.
- Its researchers admit to little expertise in typography, yet the researchers parent organization receives 40% of the retail price.
- It is claimed to be a better solution to a specific problem than a generic typeface would be, but it has itself turned into a generic typeface that is misapplied to specific problems.
- The ingenious, unique typeface has already been partially cloned, via a competing knockoff typeface with a different design and identical widths.
- It is ugly by design.
[Free Movie Themed Fonts]
During his graphic design studies at Les Gobelins in Paris, Tom Smile created the mechanical bicycle-inspired font Velodroom Meka (2015). This typeface was made for a short film about bicycles in French and Dutch movies. [Google]
TR film (2003) is the text font used in the Tombraider movie. Unknown designer. [Google]
Too much Trajan
A movement to retire Trajan sprung up in 2007. Check Kirby Ferguson's video clip on the ubiquity of Carol Twombly's Trajan on movie posters and movie title sequences. And the tedium. Almost simultaneously, Arjen Noordeman published a blog entirely dedicated to the overuse of Trajan in movies. [Google]
Wikipedia: Trajan is an old style serif typeface designed in 1989 by Carol Twombly for Adobe. The design is based on the letterforms of capitalis monumentalis or Roman square capitals, as used for the inscription at the base of Trajan's Column from which the typeface takes its name. Since the inscription and its writing form manifests in only one case, Trajan is an all-capitals typeface. Instead, small caps are commonly used, and a more complete set of glyphs contained in Trajan Pro (a 2001 update of the original typeface) includes a lower case of small caps. Although Twombly was the first to do a very literal translation of the Trajan inscription into type, a number of interpretations (with added lowercase alphabets) predate Twombly's, particularly Emil Rudolf Weiss' "Weiss" of 1926, Frederic Goudy's 1930 "Goudy Trajan," while Warren Chappell's Trajanus of 1939, while having similar forms for capitals has a markedly medieval lowercase. There are also numerous prominent typefaces that are not revivals, but owe a very clear debt to the Trajan letterforms, most notably Hermann Zapf's 1955 Optima.
We learn also that Trajan is the font used on the Trojan brand of condoms. It is not a surprise, then, to see that it was adopted as the official font of Columbia University, Rice University, the University of Bologna, the University of the District of Columbia, the University of Kansas and the University of Rhode Island. It is also ubiquitous in the movie industry.
John Berry discusses Trajan Pro 3 (a 2011 extension of Twombly's Trajan) and Trajan Sans.
Poster by Jorge Martinez (2013). [Google]
True Type Fonts
[Kaiser Zhar Khan]
Font archive run by Kaiser Zhar Khan (b. 1980) out of Chile. Aka Zanatilja. Kaiser also made a free African look face, downloadable from Dafont: sOuTh Afirkas 2100 (2009).
In 2012, he made Stickerman Bad Times, Rock X Start TFB, Aespiro TFB, Perspectivo TFB (3d face), Desgarvuda (textured face), Estancofida TFB (textured face), LEDisplay TFB, Restroom Signs TFB, Chinese Cally TFB, Discontinuo, Suast Ornad TFB (a textured face), Scoolar TFB (3d face), Katakana TFB, Hiragana TFB, Dragons TFB, Arrows TFB, Old Retro Keys TFB, Pycuaf, Pycuafodi, Dragon Ball TFB, Escaned (texture face), Chess TFB, Seagram TFB, Army Weapons TFB, Stamp Seal TFB, Logos TFB, Scripto TFB, Another Ornaments TFB, Vintage Auto Cars TFB, Simple (a monoline sans), Travesia TFB (information design dings), Music TFB (dingbats), Xmas Cartoon, Wings of Wind TFB, Mickey M TFB, Pincel Handwrite, Jigsaw Pieces TFB, Valentines Day TFB (heart dingbats), Proportional TFB (squarish sans), Stars TFB, Working Signs TFB, Signs Language TFB, Ornaments Labels and Frames, Snowflakes TFB, Christmas Nativity TFB, Chinese Zodiac TFB, Zodiac TFB, Only Skulls, Calendar Note TFB, Sports TFB (sports silhouettes), Old Retro Labels TFB, 11 Vator TFB, Xmas TFB (Christmas dings), Trees TFB, Clothing Logos TFB, Dirty Sweb, Can Dog TFB, Ornaments, Finger Print, Kitty Kats TFB, Batman Logo Evolution TFB, Light TFB (avant garde sans), Digital Display TFB (LED face), Skullx (dingbats), Tribal Tattoo (dingbats), Klingon, The Meme Font (dingbats), Rongorongo (a system of glyphs discovered in the 19th century on Easter Island), Strangferfixcs, Hotel Transilvania and Frankenwine.
Typefaces made in 2013: Pudahuel Sans, Variada TFB (simple circle-and-arc-based sans), Estorea TFB, New LED Board TFB, Rayada TFB (textured face), New Barcode Font TFB, Estrellas TFB (stars), Estrellass (sic) TFB, Spirits Dots Drinks, Mero Ornad TFB (fishnet textured), Toolz TFB, New Stencil TFB, Logocarsbats TFB, Caritons TFB (smilies), Illustrations TFB (scanbats), Edgebat TFB (knives), Crossbats TFB (crosses), Abstrec TFB (organic sans), Frames TFB, BitxMap Font TFB, Austera Simple TFB, Traffic Signs TFB, Extranger Sol TFB, Rifle Bats TFB, New X Digital TFB (LED typeface family), Dasgastada TFB, El Alambre TFB, Punk Not Dead TFB, Triangled TFB, Noxtrey Auf TFB, Cross LED TFB (+Bold), Cursi Extra TFB, Hearts Shapes TFB, Ornamentsss TFB, Eggfaces TFB, Orniste TFB, Shadded TFB (sic) (shadow face), Spoghetti Western (sic) (Italian Far West face), Groovy Font (shaded), Fireguns TFB (dingbats), Only Revolver TFB (dingbats), Aeg Flyon Now (condensed sans), Espinuda TFB, T1 Logoso TFB, Social Logos TFB, Hearts and Flowers for valentines, Astrology Astrological TFB, Ornametss TFB, Astrology TFB, Old Ornaments, Old Foundry Prints TFB, Old seals TFB, English Two Line TFB (pearly alphabet from 1796), Amame TFB (dot matrix face), Fontesda TFB (sketched face), Flowers Dots Bats TFB, Queen Destroy TFB, Bicycle TFB (dingbats), Stone Army, Ancient Weapons TFB, Numismatic Bats TFB, Elizabethan Initials TFB, Anome Ibul, Big Daddy LED, Mavole Sinpo TFB (spurred), Dowted Remix TFB (dot matrix face), QR Font TFB, Another Barcode, Display Free TFB (LED face), Cadabra Debilex, Initials TFB, Music Logos TFB, Toxic Waste TFB, Ornad Dentro TFB, Logos and Logos TFB, Amore Mio, Hearts Shapes TFB, Another X Display TFB (dot matrix), Pro Display TFB (dot matrix), Juino Net, Quiwo Luse TFB, Aliencons Two, Cargante TFB, News Board TFB, Aliencons TFB, Barcode TFB, Birthday Balon TFB, Birds TFB (silhouettes), Le Fish (fish silhouettes), Motos TFB, Love You Too TFB (Valentine's day font), LED LCD 123, Noteame (fat sans), Badopus TFB (monoline script), Estrellado TFB, Love You TFB (Valentine's Day font), Cubs LED TFB (LED / dot matrix typeface), Text Inside TFB (textured face), Kuwa Ronmcie Q (circle-based face), Zebra TFB, Distrogrunge TFB, Carillas TFB (smilies).
Another URL. It has a movie font and famous font sub-archive. [Google]
TSR and WotC Fonts
List of fonts used in TSR and WotC. No downloads, just identifications. [Google]
Font for the movie Twister, remade in 2007 by Kayleigh. Download here. Inside the font, we find the name Jens Ziehn, so maybe Kayleigh copied this font from Ziehn. [Google]
Prolific Russian designer (b. 1986) whose real name is Ivan Gladkikh. Jovanny lives in St. Petersburg. From 2003 until 2008, he studied audovisual engineering at The Bonch-Bruevich Saint-Petersburg State University of Telecommunications. In the early part of his career, most of his typefaces were free. In 2013, he set up the commercial typefoundry TypeType. Most of his typefaces cover both Latin and Cyrillic.
His typefaces include Scada Sans Two (2009), Furore (2009, octagonal), Metro (2009, constructivist), Dited (2009, dot matrix: free), Days and Days One (2009, sans), and the attractive display typefaces Otscookie (2009, geometric and experimental), 20db (2008, high-contrast titling with didone features), Cuprum (2008) and Molot (2008, with Roman Yershov). In 2008, he added to this list the grunge or handwriting typefaces FFUPuzzle, London (designed with Olga Kozlova) and Neucha (hand-printed), as well as the modern black display typeface 20db. Together with Eric Lebedco, he created the organic typeface Philosopher (2008). In 2006, he cooperated on the rounded Cyrillic typeface ZopaCyr. With Oleg Zhuravlev, he created the octagonal family Bender (2009, award winner at Paratype K2009). Creator of the corporate type family Ice and Flame (2009), an organic typeface based on Philosopher.
CDMA (2010) is a rounded sans for corporate use. Nixie One (2011) is a free thin typewriter style face. Yeseva One (2011, as in "yes, Eva, bring me another beer") is a free ornamental serif face. Numans (2011) is a free wide sans face.
Creations from 2012 include the frees typeface Oranienbaum (an antiqua created with Oleg Pospelov). He produced the free font Prosto (2012), which was designed by Pavel Emelyanov [see also Google Web Fonts]. Russo One (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a macho sans. Stalin One (2012) is a constructivist typeface codesigned with Alexey Maslov---it is free at Google Web Fonts.
Typefaces from 2013: Imperial One (a free constructivist font based on the corporate font for the game role playing game The Mandate), Underdog (angular), Supermolot (an extension of his 2008 typeface Molot, a modern techie square grotesk with elements of Soviet style; extended in 2015 to TT Supermolot).
In 2014, TypeType published TT Slabs (followed in 2015 by TT Slabs Condensed), TT Drugs (followed in 2015 by TT Drugs Condensed), TT Souses (hand-drawn sans family geared towards children's books and village design applications), Prosto Sans (based on their free typeface Prosto), TT Prosto Sans (followed in 2016 by TT Prosto Sans Condensed), TT Rounds (a basic rounded sans typeface family), TT Days Sans (TypeType: a pro version of his free font Days), TT Squares (an octagonal typeface family), TT Russo Sans), and TT Rounds Black.
Typefaces from 2015: Free Ride, TT Compotes (a series of hand-crafted typefaces), Hitch Hike (hand-crafted typeface codesigned with Annastasia Samsonova), Accuratist (a hisper font by Jovanny Lemonad and Elena Shkerdina), Dita Sweet (a free art deco typeface codesigned by Ksenia Semirova and Jovanny Lemonad), TT Marks (2015, a sign painting typeface family), TT Firs (2015, a Scandinavian cold sans family), Eleventh Square (art deco by Evgeny Tarasenko), TT Rounds Condensed, TT Books Script (a fifties style script), TT Crimsons (for short and emotional inscriptionsTT Masters (signage type), TT Inters (a great rhythmic script font), Frenchpress, TT Chocolates (a geometric grotesque with art deco hints), TT Bluescreens (30-style condensed sans family for movie trailers), TT Directors (designed for movie titling and trailers).
Typefaces from 2016: Bully 9with Aigul Gilmutdinova), TT Rabbits (ten hand-crafted typefaces for children's books, with substyles April, Bro, Chilli, Dummy, Elf, Fatso, Goody, Hyper, Idol, Junior), Suwikisu (free African-themed typeface based on a design by Egor Myznik), TT Moons (a condensed serif family), TT Cottons, Matias (by Vitaliy Tsygankov and Jovanny Lemonad), TT Pines (a sans based on paper cutouts).
He also has a lively type blog (in Russian).
Alternate URL. Behance link---on Behance, he uses the name Ivan Gladkikh. Fontsquirrel link. Google font directory link. Klingspor link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. Old home page. TT Rounds (2014) is a basic rounded sans typeface family. [Google]
Typocalypse Types was founded in 2009 by two students of communication design from the University of Applied Science in Trier: Kai Merker and Stefan Huebsch (b. 1981, Saarbrucken). Stefan Huebsch lives in Heusweiler / Saarbrücken in Saarland, Germany.
Huebsch's first font, made in 2009, is Black No. 7---it was inspired by the Jack Daniel's Black Label Whiskey logo from 1866. Black No. 7 Vintage (2009) is a grungy version.
In 2011, he created Lith, a hand-drawn headline typeface inspired by Alice In Wonderland and the Brothers Grimm fairy tales.
In 2014, he published a spectacular 11-style font family, Lichtspiele, that takes inspiration from early 20th century movies. In this series, Lichtspiele Neon 3D is of particular interest. Lichtspielhaus (2014) is an ultra-condensed version. Lichtspielhaus Handmade (2014) is the handwritten version---it was influenced by the hand-painted signs on cinema facades of the early cinema days. In 2015, we were treated to Lichtspielhaus Slab (ultra-condensed).
Behance link. [Google]
Ray Larabie (b. 1970, Ottawa, Canada) ran Typodermic in Mississauga, ON, which opened in the Fall of 2001. In 2006, it moved to Vancouver, BC, and in 2009 it moved on to Nagoya, Japan. Dafont page. Ray Larabie has been making fonts since 1996, but those early fonts were freeware. His pre 2001 fonts are grouped under the label Larabie Fonts. In 2001, he set up Typodermic. Latest additions.
The Typodermic fonts:
- 2016: Conthrax, Meloche (Meloche is a unique grotesque sans-serif typeface influenced by hand-painted French signs of the late nineteenth century. It's available in 7 weights and obliques).
- 2015: Canada 150 (a custom font for the Canadian government; see here, here, this coverage regarding the Inuktitut part of the font, and this reaction by the curmudgeons in Toronto who complain that Ray did this work for free), Autoradiographic (sans family), Built Titling (for compact headlines), Chickweed Titling (cartoon titling font), Cardigan Titling (flared headline face), Bench Grinder Titling, Kleptocracy Titling, Palamecia Titling (rounded black comic book typeface), Quasix Titling, Galderglynn Titling (all caps sans family from hairline to black), Mixolydian Titling, Stormfaze (a sci-fi font started in 1996 and finished in 2015), NK57 Monospace (a 60-style programmer typeface), Gargle, Athabasca (a sans family designed for the rugged Canadian oil patch).
- 2014: Mesmerize (a large free sans family), Kingsbridge (a large slab serif family with sharp points on the A, M, N, V and W), Manbow (a layered geometric art deco display font which includes solid, clear, stripe, polka-dot and screen patterns), Breamcatcher (all caps art deco font inspired by the piano sheet music for With Every Breath I Take which was featured in the Bing Crosby/Kitty Carlisle musical comedy film, Here is my Heart), Kilsonburg (Dutch deco based on an old Vogue magazine cover), Uchiyama (poster typeface), Goldsaber (art deco design), Vexler Slip (unicase), Rakesly, Dacquoise, Pretender, Rimouski (a rounded geometric font family), Nulshock (techno), Recharge (techno/industrial font), Interrogator Stencil, Strange Alphabets (arts and cratfs font), Angerpoise Lampshade (free).
- 2013: Numbers With Rings, Shookup (funky cartoon font), Pastrami on Rye (cutout comic book style), Chickweed, Built (a condensed headline sans), Fluctuation (a softly rounded elliptical sans family), Astrochemistry (sci-fi, techno with rounded edges), Snasm (sci-fi).
- 2012: Zolasixx (inspired by the video game Zaxxon), Ampacity (neon font), Chromakey (a space deco headline font inspired by box art classic video games including Matrix Marauders and Magical Chase), Disassembler (1980s style bitmap font), Zerbydoo (a dot matrix family), Superego (a geometric-techno font inspired by the cabinet graphics for the 1981 Stargate arcade game), Rukyltronic (a set of dot matrix typefaces), Nerdropol (pixel family), Gulkave (rounded pixel font), Cyclopentane, Palamecia (a fat finger poster face), Gameness (a 1990 retro industrial deco font), Camulogen (headline face), Color Basic (a pixel typeface inspired the by TRS-80 Color Computer), Triac Seventy One (a funky face), Acroyear (retro all-caps headline font), Troll Bait, Strenuous (unicase), Permanence (a retro=futuristic font based on Alvin Toffler's cover of Future Shok, 1970), Clockpunk (octagonal and quaint), Battlemaze (trekkie face), Mixolydian (industrial sans).
- 2011: Ugocranis (a brutalist typeface), Clipwave, Wheaton (MICR-inspired), Mango Scribble, TRS Million (dot matrix face), Ugogranis (constructivist), Gomoku (paper cut face), From The Internet.
- 2010: Cranberry Gin (2010, octagonal), Restore (all caps, geometric sans), From The Stars (an elliptical techno family done with Chikako Larabie), Thrusters (space age face), Dream Orphanage, Kengwin (rounded slab serif), Gleaming The Cube (Greek simulation face), Vectipede (a slab serif family), Great Escape (an elliptical sans family), Subrocs (connected script), Hackensack (with Chikako Larabie), Polarband (bilined stackable headline face), Naked Power, Special Forces (a great macho slab serif headline face---watch for awards to roll in), Warugaki (handpainted), Warmer, Honfleur (art deco; with Chikako Larabi), Voivode (a headline typeface done with Chikako Larabie), Hachimitsu (Asian look face, done with Chikako Larabie), Kadeworth (rounded retro look sans, done with Chikako Larabie), Gnuolane Jump (2010, with Chikako Larabie), Markerfield (brush), Board of Directors (Bank Gothic style family, done with Chikako Larabie), GGX88 (a Swiss sans family), Body Goat, Reversal, Gord (techno), Computechnodigitronic (LED, LCD geek-look font), Bench Grinder, Inklea (a bubbly face), Skygirls (retro brush script), Gloss (a paint brush typeface based on Champion, 1957, G.G. Lange).
- 2010: Galderglynn Esquire.
- 2009: Maqui (an industrial headline sans family), Zingende (art deco family: caps only), Misadventures, Gaz (large retro sans family), Meloriac (heavy display sans), Acrylic Brush, Enamel Brush (a digitization of Catalina, 1955, Emil J. Klumpp), DDT (neutral sans), Thump (fat, casual), Desperate Glamour, Pricedown (an update of his free 1990s font, patterned after the lettering on The Price Is Right show), Mitigate (monoline and slabbed; has some typewriter styles), Catwing, Walken (slab serif stencil), Silicone (soft rounded sans family), Movatif (sans), Gunplay (a stencil family inspired by the poster for the 1972 Steve McQueen/Ali MacGraw film The Getaway), Fragile Bombers (octagonal), Forgotten Futurist (techno sans, 19 styles), Bullpen (slab serif), Coolvetica, Duality, Good Times, Strenuous, Shlop (paint-drip style), Dirty Baker's Dozen (stencil), Junequil (VAG Rounded style), Owned (graffiti), Domyouji, Threefourtysixbvarrel (stencil), Enacti, Uniwars (futuristic, 16 styles).
- 2008: Madawaska (a rugged slab serif), Ebenezer (grunge), Gnuolane Stencil, Raincoat, Report School (avant garde sans), Jesaya, Carouselambra (art nouveau), Debusen (rounded), Barge (military font), Renju (2008, potato or rubber stamp print face), Otoboke (handlettered), Hit (informal hand), R6 D8 (futuristic sans family), Rexlia (an octagonal machinistic family), Hybrea (a display sans with TV screen rounding), Sweater School, Tussilago (2008, a neutral sans family), Presicav (extended sans), Hover Unit, Addlethorpe (grunge), Scheme (rounded sans), Usurp (bouncy poster lettering), Negotiate (technical sans family), Divulge, Sewn, Gnoulane (condensed sans), Moja, Teeshirt (old typewriter face), Pound (art deco marries grunge), Graveblade (heavy metal font), Synthemesc (psychedelic anti-Starbucks font), Chysotile (white on black grunge), Cardigan (sans), Gurkner (balloon style), Reagan (grunge).
- 2007: Tight (a copy of Dean Morris's 1976 Letraset chrome font Quicksilver), Headlight, Meloche (a 3-style grotesk), Octin Spraypaint (grunge stencil), Octin Vintage (grunge), Bouffant (script), Octin Prison (stencil), Octin Sports (octagonal), Octin College (octagonal, for sports jerseys), Octin Stencil (free octagonal font family), Burnaby Stencil (stencil), Superclarendon, Conceal, Ohitashi, Stud (grunge), Bristles (grunge), Skirt, Cotton (grunge), Kelvingrove (a bit of copperplate gothic, rounded and shaved), Augustine, Containment, Snowa, Veriox, Scrubby, Transmute, Sheaff, Injekuta (techno), Rinse (grunge), Polyflec, Domyouji (square sans), Winthorpe (old style), Cutiful (script), Flyswim (grunge), Dirtstorm (spray-painted stencil), Shnixgun (grunge), Neuzon (grunge), Oxeran (old typewriter), PRINTF (grunge all caps monospaced), Akazan (sans), Nyxali (a metal tag face), Meloriac (an extra bold Futura inspired face), Nesobrite (25 styles of Bank Gothic lookalikes), Meloriac (headline sans), Walnut (graffiti face), Gnuolane (a narrow sans), Edifact (a damaged computer font), Darkheart, Stampoo (squarish), Raymond (rough script), Hayate (oriental look), Telephoto. The entire Octin series is free at DaFont.
- 2006: Octynaz (grunge), Paltime (ornamented), Jolie Ecriture Desard (children's hand), Mango (comic book face), Desard (child's hand), Bulltoad, Lerku (eroded serif), Charbroiled (also eroded), Ceroxa (eroded stencil), Nagomi (a chiseled-look Asian font based on calligraphy of Chikako Suzuki from Nagoya), Whiterock, Yellande, Chilopod (a futuristic typeface inspired by the logo from the 1980s videogame, Atari Centipede), Order, Goldburg (based on a typeface by George Bowditch, 1957), Laserjerks (2006, brutalist), Milibus (futuristic), Bonobo (serifed), Ohitashi, Sarasori (TV-tube shaped typeface in the style of Oban), Structia (an octagonal family), Betaphid (octagonal), Gendouki (futuristic stencil), Slugger (athletic lettering), Marianas (a gorgeous art deco face), Lineavec (octagonal), Corzinair (serif family), Buxotic (a great caps face), Cinecav X (for closed caption TV and DVD), Salsbury (comic book face), Lonsdale (loosely based on a font called Parkway Script, which was designed by Emil Hirt in 1964), Alepholon (futuristic), Kwokwi, Mikadan (a tribute to Stephenson Blake's Verona from 1948, which was in turn based on William Dana Orcutt's Humanistic from 1904), Marion (a beautiful transitional family), Quasix (hookish), Skraype (grunge stencil), Bleeker (casual lettering), Linefeed (monospaced line printer font), Draculon (a casual typeface inspired by the letterforms of William Orcutt's humanist font from 1904 which was in turn based on an Italian manuscript from 1485), Mahavishnu (a mix between 1970s psychedelics and art nouveau), Doradani (a corporate identity sans family), Korotaki (futuristic).
- 2005: Kadonk (a Halloween face), Report (a VAG-Rounded style face), Croteau (a poster face), Heroid (ook face), Barrista (informal script), Wyvern (sans serif), Wubble (like puddles of water), Caryn (casual script), Folder (a rigid sans family), Venacti (a futuristic family), Xenara (a keyboard lettering family), Emory (a destructionist sans family), Ligurino (neat sans&serif family), Biondi (update of Copperplate Gothic; followed in 2010 by Biondi Sans; these copperplate style typefaces are in the style of AT Sackers), Byington (Trajan column lettering), Sayso Chic, Expressway (28 weights, a highway signage family), Algol (pixel type), Meposa (fat display face), Tandelle (condensed), Vigo, Maychurch, Mecheria, Vactic (dot matrix), Zosma, Topstitch, Windpower, Llandru, Soap (a creative extension of Cooper Black, with dingbats), Kleptocracy (1999-2005), Owned, Rimouski (sans), Burnstown Dam (2005, a wooden plank font), Sinzano (sans with opentype ligatures galore; compare, e.g., House Ed Interlock), Zamora.
- 2004: Affluent, Threefortysixbarrel (stencil face), Tank, Telidon (dot matrix face), Funboy, Neuropol X, Neuropol Nova, Mufferaw (comic book face), Larabiefont, Zekton (techno), Strenuous 3D, Silentina (advertised as "a silent movie font"), Amienne (brush script), Fenwick Outline (free), Betsy Flanagan (1998, a keyboard face), Boopee (children's handwriting), Pirulen (in the general Bank Gothic style), Zalderdash.
- 2003: Zupiter, Blue Highway.
- Before 2002: the dot matrix family Telidon, Telidon Ink, the architectural font Jillican (octagonal), Snowgoose, Bomr, Pakenham, Neuropol, Nasalization, Fenwick, Kleptocracy DLX, Sui Generis, Dirty Bakers Dozen (faded stencil), Minya Nouvelle, Asterisp, Chinese Rocks, Jillsville (great artsy Courier), Ulian, Wevli (including Wevli Dingbats), Sappy Mugs (funny mugshots), Sofachrome (1999, inspired by Pontiac car emblems), Eden Mills (1999).
MyFonts interview. Fontspace link. Catalog of the typefaces in the Larabie Fonts collection. Klingspor link.
Catalog of the Typodermic library in decreasing order of popularity. Extensive (large page warning) Typodermic catalog. [Google]
Designer (Steve Bevis?) of "In the Zone Dingbats". Elswhere you can download Britney Jean Spears Dingbats (2005, Jennifer Paige). [Google]
Argentinian graphic and type designer (b. 1948) based in Buenos Aires. He was creative director, art director and graphic designer at several advertising agencies in Buenos Aires, which led to various exhibits such as at the Biennale of Brno and the Japan Design Foundation in Osaka. His type presentation won an award at the XIV-th. International Computer Art competition. He is an occasional contributor to design publications and has been a correspondent of the Munich magazine novum since 2002. His works have been published in Argentina, Japan, Germany, Great Britain, Spain, and the United States. '
His type designs include:
- MotionBats (2009).
- GarciaToons (2008): GarciaToons Bunny, GarciaToons Cat, and GarciaToons Mouse are the styles. Garcia Toons won an award at Tipos Latinos 2010.
- Ole Flamenco-Ole Torero (2004). Ole Flamenco-Ole Torero won the tpG Prize at Letras Latinas, 2nd Latin American Type Biennial (2006). The dingbat typefaces Ole Flamenco and Ole Torero were both published by Neufville Digital.
- Bix Bats (2003). The styles are called Arrow, Funny, Shiny and Wired. The family was published as part of the Linotype Taketype 5 collection.
- Tangomaniacs (2002). As part of Taketype 4 at Linotype, he made the extratangordinary superpassodoble dingbat fonts Linotype Tangomaniacs Day and Tangomaniacs Night (2002).
- Bix Plain (2000, Linotype).
- Zootype (1997-1999): 2nd Prize at the 2nd International Type Design Contest, Linotype Library (1997). In this ingenious font, animals appear out of nowhere in the characters. Stylish, classy, and above all, perfect. At Linotype, we can find Zootype Air, Land and Water (1999). Dedicated web page.
For other work, see a design done in 2001 for the Japan Design Foundation.
MyFonts link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. Behance link.
View Victor Garcia's typefaces. [Google]
Designer at FontStruct in 2008 of the dingbats Kitchen Floor and We Like Sheep, and of Film (a film strip font), Candy Kane (diagonally striped glyphs) and Empire Line (octagonal and geometric).
In 2009, she made Simple Jane (blackboard bold) and Toy Blocks (3d).
In 2010, she added the texture typeface Simply Stitching. [Google]
Viacom Internet Services Inc holds the copyright of The Survivor Font (2000). They also made Blue's Clues (1999). [Google]
Vincent Nespoulous (b. 1980) created the display typeface Beetlejuice (2013) during his studies in Chambéry, France. It was inspired by the Beetlejuice movie. [Google]
Los Angeles-based outfit with many Mexican influences. Alternate page. In 2010, they designed a number of gothic (blackletter or horror) fonts, including Fontorror, Pakalian, Posada Diablo, Llorona. Nican Mopohua Regular (grungy), Federico Fellini Amarcord (art deco--after the movie). [Google]
Barcelona-based creator of the counterless hand-printed typefaces Woodcutter Dripping Nightmare (2012) and Woodcutter MMXII (2012).
In 2013, he created Gothic Winter (snow-capped blackletter), Woodcutter Anonymous (ransom note font; +part2, 2014), The Shining (movie scanbats), Woodcutter Optical Army (op-art), Viking Runes Shields, Fresh Blood, Pig Rules, Pole Dance, Music+Party, Asian Food, Deers (sic), Woodcutter Amor de Madre (curly tattoo font), Tattoo Vieja Escuela 1, 2 and 3, Origami (animal dingbats), Vintage Motorcycle Club (scanbats), Vintage Christmas (dingbats), Terry Richardson World (scanbats), Woodcutter Wire Fence, Woodcutter Points (textured face), Made in Spain 4, I Love 80s (dings), Drugs (drug paraphernalia dings), Barber Shop (dingbats), Woodcutter del Reves, Adventure Time, New York New York (1 and 2), Woodcutter Dripping Classic, Woodcutter Tinta China (ink splatter font), Woodcutter Cross, Nightmare on Social Media, Breaking Bad (scanbats), Fight Club (boxing scanbats), Boligrafo (sketched font), Robots, Luxury Brands, Woodcutter Buena Lettra, Barcelona (scanbats), Devoto (religious dingbats), Joker (dingbats), Woodcutter Typewritter (sic), Banksy (scanbats), Made in Spain 1, 2 and 3 (company logos), Animal City (funny dingbats), LSD Junior (a scary alphading font), Woodcutter Army (army stencil), Woodcutter El Día De Todos Los Santos (Mexican dingbats), Woodcutter Summer Shadows, and the monster dingbat typeface Woodcutter El Dia del Juicio. Still in 2013, he designed Woodcutter Black Square, DaPunk, Woodcutter Pollita Alegre (a penis font), Woodcutter Hungry Pig, and Woodcutter Hand Light.
Typefaces from 2014: Hospital Icons, Woodcutter Rare Drawings, Headache, Irresistible (rounded sans), Doctor Garcia (textured), Violence, Hipster Icons, Saint Valentine's Day, Mister Manson, Casino (dingbats), Christian Icons, Christmas Icons, Hermes Manero, Beauty (dingbats), Art Icons & Tools, Clouds Mix, Malamadre (grunge), Offset Punk, Manos de Cerdo, Hotel Oriental, Basic Trip, Popeye (scanbats), Viva la Fiesta (flag alphadings), Street Stencil, Supermarket, Ebola Font, Vintage Halloween, Motel Imperial, Clothes, The Second World War (army stencil), Tahs On A Rope, Penis (dingbats), Regular Show (dingbats), Parkinsonism, The 70 Greatest Directors of All Time (scanbats), Smartphone (alphadings), Dripping, Chaos in Wisconsin, Saturno, Gym (dingbats), Angie, Antique Book, Black Rodeo, Gutierrez+, Matias-Font, Viejo-Oeste, Woodcutter-Prison-Tattoo, old+sailor, Italian Revolution, Kid Nightmare, Anderson (rough stencil), Manero (scratchy script), Tecno-Chaos (dot matrix font), Neverland, Martian Font, Radical Block, Woodcutter Delicada, Bon Appetit, Termica, Kandinsky, Hotel Paradiso, Seven Arts, Street Icons, Militaria (dingbats), Undergramo (poster font), Woodcutter Avispa, Fuego Fatuo, Other Space, Electrica Sals, Woodcutter Dramatica, Cocinitas (cooking dingbats), Bad Mother Fucker, Quentin Tarantino (scanbats), El Extraño, Fine Disorder, Woodcutter BCN Style (dripping blood font), Woodcutter Virus, Efectiva, Mogambo (fat brush), Duck Tape, Warriors, Cutre Glam, Woodcutter Sutill Shadow, Woodcutter Future, Rage, Woodcutter Negative, Manolo, Vegetables, Woodcutter Storm (lightning texture), Woodcutter Rare Drawings, Rustic Heavy Metal, Grass, Virgin Mary (scanbats), Laurus Nobilis (wreaths), Mister Bambu, Woodcutter Barcode, Conquest, Multimedia Icons, Preschool, Cursors, Woodcutter Kaos, Woodcutter Lines, Ukraine (constructivist), Meccano, Woodcutter Simple Font, Crux (crucifixes), Dolores (3d), Eyes, MoneyMoneyMoney, Made in Spain 5, Barcelona Mon Amour, New Society (a 3d shadow face), Federico (a hand-printed shadow typeface), Aranea (spider dings), Fifth Avenue (art deco), Beware of Pitbull, Dictators (scanbats), Woodcutter Vintage Cartoon, The American (textured face), Woodcutter Mixed Icons, Apple Japanese Keyboard, Vintage Classics Disney, Carnage College (blood splatter font), Vintage Porn (scanbats), Woodcutter Fontana (textured caps), Woodcutter Mixed Icons, Woodcutter Jet Set, Woodcutter Gothic Drama (blackletter), Woodcutter Relieve, Mixed Icons Vol. 1, Woodcutter Electric, Woodcutter Cloth, Street Style (graffiti font), Gothic Punk, Human Body Parts, Dirty Harry, Woodcutter Fine Sketch, Woodcutter Invisible, Miley Cyrus (scanbats), Old Guard, Circus and Fair, Comic Cover, Woodcutter Gigantismo, Clockwork Orange (scanbats), Dosmilcatorce, The Walking Dead (scanbats).
Typefaces from 2015: Rude High School, Imprenta Gonzales (white on black), Estrategia (textured style), Monkey Business, Venganza (dripping blood font), Woodcutter Executive, Left Hand Comic (textured), Dirty News, Gorilla BCN (a great hand-crafted athletic lettering typeface), Neo Protein (bio-grunge), Barrio-Santo (graffiti style), Periodic-Table-of-Elements, TerrorToons, Vanilla-Candy, Baseball-Icons, Boots, Fine-Homage, Jesus-Christ (religious icons), Lock, Meredith (texturted typeface), Neo-Victorian, Old-Europe (soft blackletter), White-Army (military stencil), HeadWear, Oil-Icons, Pollito-Peligroso (white-on-black letters), Taxi, The-Dentist, Planeta Zero (white-on-black letters), Cronenberg, Hell Bar, Horror Poster, Big Gipsy Bro, Peccatum (bloo drip font), Tempus Fugit (grunge), Indiana State (a great shaded titling face), DJ Icons, Gentleman Icons, Dope Crisis (textured), Bad Quality, Love and Hate, Smoking (dingbats), Phantom of the Opera (dripping blood font), Video Games (dingbats), Beauty Initials, Knife, Ciudad Capital, System Error (dot matrix font), Rejilla (gridded font), Punk Survival, Watches, Barrio Chino (grungy typeface), Delayed 9dot matrix font), Impertinencia, Ecology, Anchor, Comic Sandchez, Beard, Globe Icons, Jalisco Company (hand-crafted 3d typeface), Summer Icons, New Art Deco (textured art nouveau typeface), Gordita Alegre, Banned World, Pixel Chaos, Dirty Grunge, Metal Curvy, Jazz Club, One Percent, Profile, Scoreboard, Sentencia, The Octopus (silhouettes of octopi), New Sailor (tattoo script), Cleaner, Bear Icons, Woodcutter Trama, Manolete (wavy font), Skully (alphadings), Big Designer, Vintage Punk (white on black), Streets of Fire (textured), Nordica, Belle Epoque (art deco), Bakery, The Worlds Best Logos, Special Unit (textured typeface), Manifesto, Shooter, Woodcutter Carnage, Black Rain (sketched), Soft Addiction, Digital Camera Symbols, Surf, Tailoring, Palo Santo, Morbida (rounded athletic letters), Fine Shadows, The Woodcutter (dings), Experimento (textured typeface), Seven Sisters, Senior Citizen (dingbats), Hotel California, Woodcutter Hand 2015, Fire Department (scanbats), Dolor de Muelas [toothache], Hamburger, Vintage Mixed Vol 1 and 2, Torremolinos, Ol Torero (bullfight scanbats), Formula 1 (scanbats), Presidents of the United States of America, Furure Blood (dripping blood typeface), Wild West Icons, Maravillosos, Territorio (textured display face), Forced Flowers, Black Hole, The Death, Extra Fat (comic book font), Cristobal, Cirilico, Fuck Off (a very useful raised middle finger font), Mexican Skull (the best Mexican skull font anywhere), Old Nuremberg, Maria Dolores, China, Street College, Rodriguez, Tourism, Community, Oklahoma (varsity font), Smartphone Icons, Science Icons, Horse, Greek Mythology, Persiana (a Venetian blind font), Alcohol, Whatsap Emoticons, Library (possibly the best library icon font today), Candelita, Remember Me, Flamenco, Universidad 2015 (athletic lettering), Sneakers, Fire, Industrial Worker, Europe, Abstemious, Police, School, Paris, Savage Empire, Nautical (dingbats), Crusader (dingbats), Woodcutter MMXV, Rats, Monster Mash, 5th Avenue Stencil, Baby Icons, New Space, City Icons, Diamonds, Punkland, Temblores, Puttana Antique, Human Anatomy (dingbats), Guerra Santa, Winter Icons, Farm, NeoWriter, Russia.
Typefaces from 2016: Workout Routine (dingbats), Gipsy Bar, Finegrams (ornamental caps, monogram font), Diving (dingbats), Extupida, Dictadura, Euro Estilazo, Cul de Sac, Lions, Woodcutter Olla Barrejada, Cocaine, Monogramos, Gobierno (rounded sans), Maldita Comebolsas, Macho (spurred style), Eagle (great eagle-themed dingbats for East European coup d'etats ca. 1880), Fuck Love, Woodcutter Rocks (white on black), England (dingbats), Mechanic (garage mechanic dingbats), Rodaja (script), Le Petit Chaos, Old Deutschland (blackletter), Mister George, Cloud Candy, Ceporro, Old School Toons, Big Drama (fat poster style), Serial Font, Hotel Madriz, Lady Fiesta, Punk Army, Enfermo Rules, The Laguna, Casa Camaron, Mister Muerte (dripping blood font).
Dafont link. [Google]
Woody Allen's typeface
Discussion of the Woody Allen titling typeface, Windsor-EF Elongated. [Google]
This is one of the most talented FontStructors, but also an active musician. On Behance, he/she is listed as Van Saarland from Hameenlinna, Finland, and on FontStruct since 2014 as V. Sarela, from Oulu, Finland.
Typefaces from 2011: Teotihuacan (inspired by a Mexican poster), Micra (a monospaced OCR-A font), Fast Driving, Rendez-Vous (a condensed serif font inspired by the cover of "The Essential Jean Michel Jarre"), Carat Condensed, Carat, Wolfen (a copperplate style condensed face), Futuroid (sci-fi), Instrumenta (after Neville Brody's Industria), Modern Vision (based on the opening credits from The Terminator and The Running Man), Future Earth (futuristic: based on a typeface used in The Terminator logo which is also the base for the font "Earth"), Phatprogy (+Extra Phat).
Typefaces from 2012: Modus Operandi, Ikonomi (squarish sans), Genera, Hexathrone, Liquid Crystal Serif, Wulthraesk (constructivist), Electionale, Major (a high contrast didone), Commandant (2012, like Futura Stencil), Comfutur (a beautiful stencil typeface with a bit of Futura Black), Qode (a retro-futuristic LED style typeface), Graphyto (a heavy slab face), Heavy Royale, Thiage (Thai simuation face), Bravis, Cirquetry, Solidis, Velocifero (bilined), Heavy Royale, Jet Set Groove, Reactor A1 (futuristic stencil), Polymoda (an abstract font), Lino II, Sequencer (+Condensed), Hertzace (square retro-futurist), Cifira (art deco), Saturation (monoline sans), Katana (+Bold, +Condensed), Countura (abstract and minimalist), Stripelane (horizontally striped), Vortexa (in the style of Data 70), In Nomine Matrix, Afterburner, Afterburner Phase II, High Rise (Western typeface), Sulaco, Polaroid, Tech Noir (a dot matrix typeface based on the nightclub sign from The Terminator), Slabbers II, Windician (art deco), Cryptocube, DMC 12, Ken Jp (oriental simulation typeface), PxlSQ, Scorpione, Monotronic, Advancer (dot matrix face), Avico, Discolyde, Film Sequence, Modern Vision (based on an unknown typeface which was used in the opening credits of The Terminator, The Running Man, Class of 1999, and also used on Robert A. Heinlein's book covers (there's a font called Heinlein which is similar)), Cromagnon, Gace, Midora Sans, Squarium (constructivist), Cheque Matte (octagonal), Plusminus, Advancer Lite, Magnetofunk (retro-futuristic), Integrafia (piano key stencil face), Network9, Cechida, Rendez-Vous (condensed square slab face), Rendez-Vous II, Equantum, Karelian Stencil, Cryptocube, Neolexia, Ambiente, Stencilae (stencil), Linearis (horizontally striped), Contrafacia A and B (horizontally striped typefaces), Stereovision, Hypetron (based on the TRON logo), Degré (hexagonal), Typorabilis, Wunderkind (kitchen tile face), Kiova Captura, Biomehanika.
Typefaces from 2013: Starast Maxi, Starast Next, Lugar, Siquid (dot matrix face), Devico (constructivist), Meco (based on Meco's logo), Confiant A, Confiant B, Zerusta, Carat, Combonaut, Jet Set Groove, Cifira, Gace, Condensbit, Synditon, Abciria, Vulthraesk, Rendez-Vous (+II), Instrumenta (based on Neville Brody's Industria), Saturation, RndEX, Rewinder, Power Electronics (an octagonal typeface based on the Captain Power logo), Obsidian Deco (a gorgeous fat piano key typeface), Electrone, Plusminus, Connector Module, Scorpione, Perficio, XOX Design, Da Capo (bold slab serif), Gradiator, Phatprogy, Genexus, Finica Sharp Script, Power Electronics (based on the Captain power logo), Aftertouch (a wide sans), Telecharger, Vicenti, Modicea, Submachine (based on Stanley Davis's Amelia), Genera Deux (a computer font), Genexe, Network 9 (connect-the-dots), Square Earth, Future Earth (trekkie font based on an old Terminator logo), Cechida, Supernature, Siberiada (a great Russian simulation typeface with a medieval touch), Defigma (bilined), Carat, Back to the future (based on the movie logo; called Rewinder on FontStruct), Vibrion (techno face), Connector Module, Wunderkind (a tiled typeface), Yaguar, Pacific Serif (slab serif), Aerogenes (wide techno font), Windician, Commandant (a wide art deco stencil face).
Typefaces from 2014: Brigadier, Freelight (rounded stencil), Stencilae, Protocol Sans, Vicenti, Submachine, Dalecarian, Equantum, Twiphex, Waremann, Wolfen, Waltraud, Carat, Teotihuacan, Rendez-Vous (+II), Major (didone), Ambiente, Kiova Captura (based on the font used in Kiev camera manuals), Glissando, Cheque Matte (athletic lettering font), Vibrixean (sci-fi), Licoricette, Protagon (Greek simulation), Rewinder, Ardeus (futuristic, LED simulation), Techsyna (sci-fi), Rezonans (piano key style), Modern Vision, Trideko Display (multilined typeface), Xeometro (octagonal), Verbica, Megalith (a great black slab), Calibro.
Typefaces from 2015: Coffee,-Juice,-Food-2, Electric-Blue, Karakteristika (blackletter tattoo font), Memogo (horizontally-lined font), Proximitro, Stratus, Super-Eurobeat, Verdisquo, HI-NRG, Modern Vision (based on a font used in the opening credits of The Terminator, The Running Man, Class of 1999), Workflow (stencil), Blackwing.
Abstract Fonts link. Behance link. Dafont link. [Google]