| || |
FontStructor who made these fonts in 2010: Reeph (wedge serif face), Theen (techno sans), Pewma (fat lettering as in the Puma logo), Clean (a gorgeous rounded elliptical sans), Ambdx (Treefrog-style hand), Twynn Open (dot matrix face), rnd0m, Arcbk-Open (stencil), Arcbk-Regular, Djeom (athletic lettering), Skwar (squarish), Bletr, Serif, Stens (white on black stencil), Strux, Outln (Regular, Shady: art deco meets athletic lettering), Kyrst, Phatt (ultra fat), Psych (a "Western", Italian face), Bloks, Twynn, Zilch, Cyrth (runic), Reimu (blackletter), Kaway (stencil), Kewte (rounded monoline), and Kurvh (dot matrix).
Typefaces made in 2011: t4le (a tall piano key face inspired by In Her Memory by Softhunterdevil), Theek, Theek Open (blackboard bold face), Tukan, Theen, Fluid, Sharp (angular).
Typefaces from 2012: Lined (stencil), amcbl. [Google]
Sergiy Tkachenko (b. 1979, Khrystynivka, Cherkasy region, Ukraine) lives in Kremenchuk, Ukraine, and has been a prolific type designer since 2008. Sergiy graduated from Kremenchuk State Polytechnic University in computer systems and networks in 2007. Various other URLs: Microsoft link, Identifont, 4th February, Behance, Klingspor link, Revision Ru, Russian creators, CPLUV Fontspace, Twitter. Kernest link. Sergey Tkachenko's typefaces:
- 2008: the techno faces Bladi One 4F, Bladi One Slab 4F, Bladi Two 4F, Abia Wide 4F Thin.
- 2009: Zantiqa (an über-serif), Serifiqo (a (free) thin didone fashion mag display face), Codename Coder 4F (monospace programming font), Droporado 4F (using circles only), Tovstun (futuristic, ultra-fat and rounded), Perfocard 4F, Modularico (five modular faces based on a logo from Master Kremenchug a company for which Sergiy worked for 4 years), Boldesqo Serif 4F (a splendid informal fat didone, now with Greek support), Tkachenko Sketch, Unicase Slab (a techno slab), Laftatic, Logofontik 4F (techno), PC.DE Stencil (+Italic; custom stencil font), Stenciliqo 4F, Tiap Liap 4F (handwriting), Nut Kit 4F, Rezzzistor 4F, Wrongo 4F, the inline modular face Grand Hotel, and Bijou 4F.
- 2010: PädIn (a custom typeface for Pädagogische Initiative e.V.: rounded fat informal face), Fat Quad (in the fatty trend), Veselka (a free multiline face), Smeshariki Black (+ Gleams: a bubble gum font made for an animation company), Republica 4F (a fat family), Rodeqa Slab 4F, ComFi (semi-octagonal), Grotesqa 4F, Nowy Geroy 4F, Fabryka 4F (a monospaced typewriter family), Placarto4F-Italic (an ultra fat art deco), Lavina 4F (a hairline sans with lachrymal terminals).
- 2011: Fontatigo 4F, Kylie 4F (bilined and geometric), Waldemar 4F (a large didone style fat face family), Dinesqo (2011, a monoline sans of utter simplicity), Qargotesk (+Cyrillic) [images: i, ii, iii, iv], Neultica 4F (black unicase family), Squartiqa 4F (2011, constructivist), Clarenta 4F Black (after Clarendon---a great family), Designosaur (free sans), Perfopunto (based on perforated circles and squares), OlaScript 4F, Bayadera 4F (a tamed upright monoline script), Febrotesk4FUnicase (squarish unicase family).
- 2012: Targo 4F (rounded face with stencil and non-stencil styles), Myra (free font), Myra 4F Caps (free), Cedra (wide monolined sans face), Fontatica 4F (rounded techno grotesk), Akzentica 4F, Ukraintica 4F Wide (a monoline wide-bowled sans family), Laventa 4F, Sports World (free athletic lettering font), Web Serveroff (free computer geek font), Octin Spraypaint Cyrillic (a rough stencil done exclusively for Ninja Theory).
- 2013: Condesqa (modular sans), Esqadero (an uncomplicated monoline sans), Vanyla 4F Unicase (monoline), Esqadero FF CY (a free wide sans, Cyrillic), Bond (a confident no-frills sans), Attentica (free sans font for Latin and Cyrillic), Cedra 4F Wide Thin.
- Cyrillizations: several typefaces such as Lavoisier (by Alec Julien), Budmo Jiggler (Ray Larabie) and JoAnne Display (Sandy Cerovich), Gnuolane (of a Ray Larabie font), Paranoid Cyrillic (based on Kevin Lo's Paranoid), Movavi Grotesque Black (+Cyrillic; image; numerals), Azoft Sans (made for Azoft, and free here).
- Custom fonts: Blue Pill, Sansus Webissimo (since 2011 free at Open Font Library), Minaeff ECT (2011, a free legible family for Latin and Cyrillic, custom-made for and downloadable from WebhostingRating.com), Web Serveroff, Movavi Grotesque, Azoft Sans, PÄd In, Smeshariki, Fat Cow, Comfi, PC.de, League Gothic Cyrillic, Paranoid Cyrillic, 28 Days Later Cyrillic, Acid Label Cyrillic, Dead Secretary Cyrillic, Rezland Cyrillic, Sweet Leaf Cyrillic, Droid Cyrillic, Jo Anne Display Cyrillic, Gnuolane Free Cyrillic, Bosox Cyrillic, Budmo Jiggler Cyrillic.
Abstract Fonts link. Dafont link. Behance link. Hellofont link.
View Sergiy Tkachenko's fonts. [Google]
Lebanese designer who created Beantown (2004, an athletic lettering font), Staubach (2004, an athletic lettering face based on the lettering of the Dallas Cowboys), Wagner Modern (2011), Kroftsmann (2004, on octagonal face), Kavelry (2004, based on the Kemper Insurance logo), 4th and inches (2008, rounded octagonal; based on the proprietary font used by Russell Athletic, makers of sports apparel as used by Georgia Tech BKB, Washington State, Alabama State, Tennessee State, Mississippi Valley State, and many others in college football), and PopWarner (2004, a Bank Gothic lookalike), Wagner Zip Change (grotesque), Richardson Fancy Block. Creator of some free soccer team lettering alphabets in 2010: Louisville, Puff Script, Red Raiders, Richardson Fancy Block, Wagner Zip-Change (based on grotesque signage letters), ACMilan2009, ASRoma, ChampionsLeague, England2007, MLSUniform, RealMadrid2009. About his GeauxXPDF face (2010), he writes: I had extracted a nearly complete set on this one a few years back, except for J and Z which I created on my own. As best I can tell, it only exists as an upper case font without most punctuation, so I created that too to make it more useable. I don't know how much LSU [Louisiana State University] paid for this design, but to me it always looked like something that Larabie or Iconian would have given away. He also extracted HDRadioAlphabet from a rounded Arial face he found on HD radio. His UScoreRGK (2012) is a blocky angular font used on-screen by Fox Sports. LCD Display (2012) is a 28-segment LED font. UA Terrafont (2012) was based upon the vector art in this PDF file.
In 2013, he published the athletic lettering family High School USA and the octagonal typeface UA Cadet.
See also here. Dafont link. Fontspace link. Another URL. [Google]
ABFonts Santos FC 2012 Numerals
ABFonts Santos FC 2012 Numerals (2012) is an orphaned athletic lettering font. We read at ABFonts (where the font can be downloaded): ABFonts Santos FC 2012 Numerals is based on the numbers used on the jersey of Brazilian football club, Santos FC, which is outfitted by Nike. The font was created on request and the image that was provided only showed the jersey numbers of Santos FC. Based on photographs, the player's name is not shown on the jersey explaining the absence of letters in the font. It appears that the source image was created by Cleiton Fabiano of www.futbr.com. [Google]
Agustín Luis Bou
Prolific type designer, b. London, 1951. Alan started work in 1970 for Graphic Systems as a lettering artist. In 1975, he joined Letraset as the Senior Type Designer and Studio Manager where he was responsible for all the artwork produced by the Letraset studio. During his tenure at Letraset, he designed over 40 popular typefaces, including Bramley, Candice, Bickley Script and Belwe. Most of these faces also showed up in the Scangraphic collection. Together with type director Colin Brignall, Alan contributed to the success of Letraset. All the original typographic artwork produced at Letraset was produced by hand cutting the fonts in Rubylith, a highly-skilled technique known as stencil cutting. Alan was responsible for training the entire Letraset studio in this art. Most of the original Letraset artwork has now been archived at St. Brides Printing Library, London. Today, Alan works independently, specializing in all facets of corporate identity including type design, typography, packaging, and development of logos and symbols. His oeuvre (sold via MyFonts) includes:
Galadriel, Kornelia and Sparky are floating around freely in cyberspace.
- Font Factory: Chalfont (similar to Antique Olive), Brigade (classic roman), Fairway (curly sans), Copacabana (italicized roman).
- Elsner&Flake fonts: Bramley, Cabaret, Candice, Chesterfield, Einhorn (1980, Scangraphic, a revival of a 1931 face by H. Machler called Salut), Frankfurter (1978-1981, with Nick Belshaw and Bob Newman; for digital versions, see Farnham by Infinitype and F821 Deco by SoftMaker), Galadriel (1975; specimen; another specimen), Glastonbury, Knightsbridge, Plaza, Princetown (athletic lettering font done in 1981 based on Princetown by Dick Jones at Letraset), Rialto, Shelley, Tarragon (1981, art nouveau).
- ITC fonts: Algerian Condensed, Ambrose, Belwe Mono, Bertie, Bickley Script, Burlington (1985), Cabaret, Campaign (stencil), Cancellaresca Script (1982), Champers, Claude Sans, Dynamo Shadow (1977), Fashion Compressed (1991), Flamme (1993), Follies (1991), Frankfurter (1978-1981, with Nick Belshaw), Glastonbury (1979), Inscription, Jazz, Lightnin' (1994), Limehouse Script (1986), Locarno (1986), Malibu (1992), Plaza, Ragtime, Regatta Condensed, Savoye, Shelley, Tannhauser (1988), Varga (1991), Waterloo Bold (1987).
- Letraset fonts: Aachen, Ambrose (1985), Belwe Mono (1989), Bertie (1985, a Mexican simulation face), Bickley Script, Burlington (1985), Campaign, Champers, Claude Sans (1988), Fashion Compressed, Flamme, Follies, Inscription, Jazz (1992, art deco), Lightnin, Limehouse Script, Locarno, Malibu, Ragtime, Regatta Condensed, Savoye (1992), Tannhauser, Varga, Waterloo Bold.
- Linotype fonts: Aachen, Algerian, Belwe Mono, Bertie, Bickley Script (1986), Bramley, Burlington, Cabaret (1980), Campaign, Cancellaresca Script, Candice, Champers (1991), Chesterfield, Claude Sans, Dynamo, Einhorn, Fashion, Flamme (script), Follies, Frankfurter, Galadriel, Gill Display Compressed, Glastonbury, Inscription (1994), Jazz (1992), Kestrel (a connected signage script on which Ralph Unger's 2011 face Faulkner Pro is based), Knightsbridge, Lightnin, Limehouse Script, Locarno, Malibu, Plaza (1975), Plaza, Ragtime (1987), Regatta Condensed, Rialto, Savoye, Shelley, Tannhauser, Tarragon, Varga.
- URW++ revivals: Glastonbury (2009).
- Allan Meeks collection (Cedars, PA): Colosseum (2008: 8-style Trajan-style sans), Fairway (2003), Astoria (2006, miniserifed family based on Gill Sans), Brigade (2003, serif family), Chalfont (2003, sans), Copacabana (2004, based on Goudy Old Style Italic), Vatican (2005, a calligraphic face whose lower case is influenced by the lettering of Arthur Baker).
- Custom type: Benson&Hedges, Lilt, The Woolmark Company, Somerfield, Tarmac, Clearstream.
FontShop link. Linotype link.
View Alan Meeks's typefaces. Yet another page with Alan Meeks's typefaces. [Google]
Creator of a facsimile font called Real Madrid 1213 (2012), after the lettering Real Madrid is using in the 2012-2013 season. Download site. Check also the small improvement by Character. [Google]
Italian designer, 1920-1995, who designed most of his faces at Nebiolo in Turin. Until 1975, he made about 30 families at Nebiolo, and after 1975, he produced about 70 further families of fonts. With weights included, he created about 300 fonts. Biography by Sergio Polano. He was very influential, and wrote two important books, Alfa Beta: Lo Studio e il Disegno del Carattere, a study on font design and history (1964), and Il Segno Alfabetico (1971). Essay by Sergio Polano on Novarese. The list of fonts done at Nebiolo:
His post-Nebiolo fonts:
- Landi Linear (1942). This was revived in digital form in 2011 by toto as K22 Landi Linear.
- Etruria (1940-42)
- Express (1940-43)
- Normandia (1946-49, with Butti, and 1952)
- Athenaeum Initials (with A. Butti, 1945-1947)
- Fluidum (+Bold) (1951, script). Revived by Ralph Unger as Butti (2011).
- Fontanesi (1951-54, a rococo font)
- Microgramma (1952, with A. Butti; available at URW++). This was done as an alternative to Bank Gothic, and is identical to Eurostile Bold Extended.
- Nova Augustea (1951, ITC Augustea Open)
- Egizio (1953-57), a slab serif [see E710 Roman on the SoftMaker MegaFont XXL CD, 2002, or Egizio URW (2009, quite complete family with 5 styles) or Egizio EF (2001), or Thierry Gouttenègre's Aldogizio (2013)]. For a specimen, see here.
- Cigno (1954). This script face was revived an extended as P22 Cigno (2008, Colin Kahn, P22).
- Swan (1954), aka Cigogna (with A. Butti).
- Juliet (1954-55). For a superb revival and extension of this copperplate script, see Canada Type's Ambassador Script (2007).
- Ritmo (1955)
- Rhythm (1955)
- Garaldus (1956-ff). Digitally revived in 2012 as Garaldus by Flanker.
- Slogan (1957). Digital revival by Terry Wudenbachs in 2010 called P22 Slogan.
- Recta (1958-1961). This is a large sans family. Canada Type published an 18-font revival in 2011, also called Recta.
- Estro (1961)
- Fancy (1961)
- Exempla (1961)
- The Eurostile family (1952: caps, with Alessandro Butti; 1962: lower case). This is carried by many foundries such as Adobe, Linotype, and URW++. Eurostile lookalike include Aldostile (Autologic), ES (Itek), Eurasia (SoftMaker), Eurogothic, Eurostar (MGI Software), Eurostyle, Eurostile Next (Akira Kobayashi), Gamma, Jura (Daniel Johnson), Microgramma, MicroSquare (SoftMaker), Microstyle (Compugraphic), NuevoSolStile (Cayo Navarro), SD Eurostile Elite (Justin Rotkowitz), Square 721 (Bitstream), Waltham.
- Magister (1966)
- Forma (1966). Alessandro Colizzi explains: From 1965, following a marketing-oriented approach focused on the user, the management set a research group of graphic designers to work on a new typeface design. Headed by Novarese, who provided the basic alphabet, the team included Franco Grignani, Giancarlo Iliprandi, Till Neuburg, Ilio Negri, Pino Tovaglia, Luigi Oriani, and Bruno Munari. The collective design process was based on an analysis of contemporary sanserif typefaces and legibility tests, to develop a more mature, humane interpretation of the Swiss sanserif trend. The process was quite laborious with monthly meetings spanning across over two years. In 1968, Forma was eventually released as lead type. As its name implies, Forma aimed at representing the ideal letterform of its time, equally appealing to designers, printers and the general public. The typeface was favourably received by the design community (it won a special mention at Compasso d’oro in 1970), but although initial sales were encouraging, it could not really compete in a market already saturated by Univers, Helvetica and the like. .
- Oscar (1966)
- Lambert (Compacta lookalike)
- Exempla (VGC, 1966, Third Prize in the 1966 VGC National Type Face Design Competition)
- Metropol (1967). This gaspipe typeface was digitized by Patrick Griffin at Canada Type in 2007 as Press Gothic. Originally, it was meant as an alternative to Geoffrey Lee's Impact at Stephenson Blake.
- Elite (1968, a boring linear script, digitized in 2005 by Canada Type as Fontella)
- Stop (1971; available at Linotype, URW++, Elsner&Flake)
- Dattilo (1974, an Egyptian face) (1974): his last creature for Nebiolo, a typewriter type. It was considered as a slab serif companion of Forma.
- Sintex 1 (VGC, 1973). A revival and expansion of this funky nightclub face was done in 2008 by Patrick Griffin at Canada Type as Stretto.
- Bloc (1974, VGC)
- Mixage (1977 Haas, a lineal font, now ITC Mixage) 1985?
- Novarese Book (1978, now ITC Novarese Book)
- Lapidar (1977)
- Andromeda (1978, VGC)
- Global (1978, VGC)
- Fenice (1977-80; now ITC Fenice)
- Expert (1983)
- Colossal (1984); see Colossalis at Berthold, a slab serif sports lettering family)
- Symbol (1982-1984, now ITC Symbol)
- Arbiter (1989, Berthold)
View Aldo Novarese's typefaces. [Google]
Matakana, New Zealand-based multidisciplinary designer whose company is called New Royal Standard. He created the athletic lettering inline face Lockout (2012).
In 2013, he created the beautiful art deco typeface New Royal Stencil, and simple and iconic Stackable Animal Illustrations.
Behance link. [Google]
German designer (aka laynecom) at FontStruct in 2008 of band, blokk_2, maiden, substance, Fette Serif (fat, octagonal), Runde Pixelig, Velvet, Thin Sans, Constr, Clear Serif, Blokk.
Added in 2009: Russisch Brot, Block Out (3d face, +Filled1, + Filled2), Bold Stencil Sans, Script Pixelig, Dorky Corners Sans, Haus der Kunst (inspired by the building in München by that name), Fraktur Test, Fette Sans (nice), Emilia, Runde Pixelig (pixel script).
Creations in 2010: Fraktur Test, The Plot (octagonal, architectural), 80s Metal Band, Fieldwork Font (pixel), Black Metal, I slabbed the Seriff, Play (curly face).
Creations in 2011: Obvious Stencil (Bauhaus, or piano key), Supercali (a psychedelic font inspired by the cover for A.R. Kane's "I"), Manuale (with straight slabs; +Manuale Giocoso, 2012), Graphite (fat and rounded), Graphite 2, Hinterland Italic (quaint Victorian face).
From 2012: Linea Fraktur (extended in 2013 to Linea Runde), Black Organic (spiky blackletter), Green Organic (a spurred blackletter), Standard Sans, Modular Blackout Bold Condensed, Viva Las Vegas, Helios, Faux Pas Serif (Egyptian typeface), Nova Thin Extended (this hairline sans is a tour de force---it is the first successful hairline sans face ever made by anyone using FontStruct), Bencraft.
Fonts from 2013: Swash Buckle, Nova Thin Extended (a hairline sans), Meson Sans, Burgwald Exquisite Bold Condensed, Editoriale, Coalescimen, A La Carte, Hampton Italic, Baby Elephant (fat grotesque).
Klingspor link. [Google]
Alphabet Soup (or: Michael Doret)
Michael Doret is a commercial hand lettering artist in Hollywood, CA, but born in New York in 1946. A graduate of The Cooper Union, he was interviewed by MyFonts in 2011. He worked at PhotoLettering as an assistant of Ed Benguiat. Klingspor link. Behance link. Veer writes: A graduate of the Cooper Union, Michael has run his own design studio for many years - first in New York City - and currently in Hollywood. An eight-time winner of the New York Art Directors Club Silver Award, Michael is a specialist in logos and letterforms. His unique typographic vision blends elements of lettering, illustration and graphic design. The inspiration for his work has come from such diverse sources as matchbook covers, theater marquees, enamel signs, early and mid-20th century packaging, and various other artifacts of this great land of ours. Although for much of his career he executed his work in traditional media, he now works almost exclusively in a digital format. In 2006, he set up his own foundry, Alphabet Soup.
Fonts sold by MyFonts. Behance link. FontShop link.
- Dark Angel (2013). A gloomy black blackletter hybrid.
- Deliscript (2009): an upright connected script with accompanying slanted version. It was inspired by neon signs in from of Canter's restaurant in Hollywood. Winner at TDC2 2010. And a winner in the Type Design category, CA Magazine's Award of Excellence in their 2011 Typography issue.
- Deluxe Gothic (2010), a Bank Gothic style face. DeLuxe Gothic was also the name that Intertype used for their version of Bank Gothic. Images: i, ii), iii.
- Dynascript (2011). Patrick Griffin did the Opentype programming. Dynatype (2012) is the upright, slightly more formal cousin of Dynascript.
- Grafika (2009): a gorgeous 1930s art deco face originally designed for the credits of the movie Savages.
- Metroscript (2006, Alphabet Soup): a connected retro script.
- Orion (2003): an upright, linear script, based on an enameled sign (probably of 1930s vintage) that designer Michael Doret picked up at a Paris flea market.
- Power Station (2006): a 3-d athletic lettering family, with styles such as Block, Wedge, Block Low, Block High.
- Steinweiss Script (2010): a 2200-glyph curly script face called Steinweiss Script (2010), which captures a lot of the spirit of Steinweiss's album covers from the late 1930s and 1940s. (Opentype programming help by Patrick Griffin).
View Michael Doret's typefaces. The typeface libray at Alphabet Soup. [Google]
[Artist of Design]
Andrew Lockhart (b. Sandy, OR) runs Andrew Lockhart Design in Montana, where he is a student at Montana State University. As a FontStructor, he made Thick Round, Sport Classic (athletic lettering face), Thin Stripe, Bold Stripe, and Stripe Bold in 2010. Locked Up (2010) is based on a vector image of a combination lock.
Home page. Behance link. [Google]
UK-based creator (b. 1967) at FontStruct in 2008 of Metal Vampire (athletic lettering meets vampire), Moonbase Tokyo (neat futuristic oriental simulation), Sir Robin's Minstrels (blackletter), Starscraper (techno), Moonmonkey (outline LED font), First.
In 2010, he added the non-FontStruct faces Chromium (a great special effect face), Clawripper, Dirty Play, HairyMonster, HairyMonsterSolid, Punched, and Slasha, mostly inspired by blood, guts, and murders. Static Buzz (2010) is a texture face. Newcastle (2010) is a castle-themed alphabet. Blinger (2010) is a star-studded outline face. New York Punk (2010) is grungy. Dinosaurs (2011) is a dingbat face. NUFC Shield (2011) is a shield face. Zombified (2011) and Sound Sample (2012) are grunge faces.
Rollerball 1975 (2012) is the font used in the Rollerball movie. Western Show Caps (2012) is a Western circus font. Stoned (2012) evokes letters carved in stone.
In 2013, Robinson published the textured athletic lettering font Robbie Rocketpants, Airlock, Cargo Bay (a great army stencil, with a negative letter option), Dogma (a grungy Lombardic face), and the grungy blackletter face Flesh Wound. MDMA (2013) is a halftone simulation texture face. Barbarian (2013) is an alphading typeface on the theme of swords. Camouflage (2013) is a textured typeface. Atheist (2013) is an outline typeface. Power (2013) is inspired by lettering on pwer buttons. Witching Hour (2013) is a halloween font. Dystopian Future (2013) is a grungy typeface. Olde Stencil (2013) is a stenciled blackletter typeface. Anonbats (2013) has scanbats and dingbats related to the famous hacker group Anonymous. Creature Feature (2013) is a slimy typeface. Ka Blamo (2013) is a comic book font. Beer Goggles (2013), Supercreep (2013), KaBoing (2013), Gloop (2013, an oil slick face), Barbarian (2013), Voodoo Vampire (2013) and Ye Olde Oak (2013) are textured typefaces. Anti Everything (2013) is a blood drip typeface. PCB (2013) is a printed circuit board font. Dickensian Christmas (2013) is a decorative Christmas font.
Dafont link. Aka Anfa. Home page. Another URL. FontStruct link. [Google]
Antonio J. Morata
Antonio J. Morata (Almeria, Spain) is a FontStructor (aka elmoyenique) who used FontStruct to make several modular faces starting in 2010. The typeface names start with z. We list them alphabetically:
- zabadoo eYe FS (2013, bilined), zadora-q-eYeFS (pixelized), Zaffron EyeFS (2013), zaftig eYe FS (2013), zage eYe FS (2013), zagreb-eYeFS (2009), zagzig eYe FS (2012), zagzig Linear eYe FS (2013), zahoree eYeFS (2012, dot matrix), Zakapunt eYeFS (2010), Zapatiesta EyeFS (2013, a cut paper font), Zakyra eYe-FS (2010, a western font modeled after Kyra 1 my Michel Troy), zalamera eYeFS (2011), zalooneYeFS (Western face), zamantha eYeFS (2012), zame-eYeFS, Zamzibar eYeFS (2012, octagonal), zandal eYe FS (2013, +2b), zanzibar-eYeFS, zancle-eYeFS, zancle-rev-eYeFS, zanity eYe FS (2012), zanta eYe FS (2013), zapphire eYeFS (2012, kitchen tile face), zapristi-eYeFS (outlined and oblique), zarcs-eYeFS, zarina-eYeFS (2011, blackletter), zaved eYeFS (2012), zayre-eYeFS, zaza eYeFS (2011).
- zblackmagic-eYeFS (2011, Based on the Tomeri Nu-No font by Nuria González and Noël Nanton), zbrickfont eYeFS.
- Zcare Myself EyeFS (2013), zcell-eYeFS (2010, fat counterless, and outlined), zcell rnd eYeFS (2012), zcloudy eYeFS (2012), zcout eYeFS (2010, a mini-stencilled art deco face), zcrackers eYe/FS (fa, counterless and starred).
- zdurer (blackletter).
- zebralbox eYeFS (2013), zebralkey EyeFS (2013), zeelandia-eYeFS (horizontally striped), zeenvoudige eYeFS (2011), zefaleas eYeFS (2013), zegovia eYeFS (2012), zelada eYeFS (2011), zelemin eYe FS (2013), zelfvolution eYeFS (stencil), zenda-eYeFS, zeneka eYe FS (2013), zenix-eYeFS (2011), zenoid eYe FS (2012), zenon eYeFS (2011, horizontal stripes), zenovia-eYeFS (2011), Zenzilla EyeFS> (2013), zeres eYeFS (2011), zerone eYeFS (2011, a modular piano key face), zetentas-eYeFS (disco light face; +Light), zeventy-eYeFS (2011), zextile-eYeFS.
- zfraktur eYe FS (2011, blackletter).
- zhadows eYe/FS (shadow face), zhalloween eYe/FS (pixel face), zhapp3y-eYeFS (alphading), zhappy eYeFS (2011, fat art deco), zhappy5th eYeFS (2013), zharona-eYeFS (2010).
- ziabelle-eYeFS (shadow face), ziberia eYeFS (2011), zibernia blk eYe/FS (2011), zibernia blk x thal eYe/FS (2011), zicrets eYeFS (2013), zilverstone eYeFS (2011, blackletter), zimbawee-eYeFS, zimbelino eYeFS (2013), zinabrium eYeFS (2013), zinders eYeFS (2012), zinergy-eYeFS (3d face), zinergy blk eYe/FS, zinfont eYeFS, zinnamon eYeFS (2011), zinus eYeFS (2013), zirconite eYeFS (2011, slab face), zircus eYeFS (2010), zirius eYeFS (2011).
- zkandia-eYeFS (stencil).
- zlabyrinths eYeFS (2011, improved by fanstruct1 in zlabyrinths eYeFS v2, 2012), zlash eYe FS (2011, a keyhole face), zloty eYeFS (2011, art deco face).
- zmorse xDad eYe FS (2011, a texture / African face based on morse code).
- znederland eYe FS (2012), znipped eYe FS (2012, heavy angular face).
- zpanish caravan eYe/FS (2011, a bullet hole face), zpeedo eYe FS (2013, race car font), zpido eYeFS (2012), zpixel eYeFS (2011), zporty eYeFS (2012, textured face).
- zquadrata eYeFS (2010), zquared-eYeFS.
- Zocratic EyeFS (2013, kitchen tile face), Zoftly 70 EyeFS (2013, LED font), Zombra eYeFS (2013, influenced by Orthmar Motter's Motter Ombra, 1973), zonatta eYeFS (2013), zonora eYeFS (2011, a Far West face), zooctogonal eYeFS (2013), zoolphabet eYeFS (2010, animal dingbats), zoutheast eYe FS (2012, Western), zouthwest eYe FS (2012, Western), zoutland eYeFS (2011, octagonal), zouvenir 2U eYeFS (2013), zovietztyle eYeFS (2013, constructivist), zozial-eYeFS, zozial-sqrd-eYeFS.
- Realta2 (2013), zround eYeFS (2010).
- ztarsky-eYeFS (+Round: art deco ultra black), ztator eYeFS (2012), ztay eYeFS (a condensed almost art nouveau face), Zteamboat EyeFS (2013), ztedelijk-Crouwel eYe/FS (2011, based on Wim Crouwel's stedelijk Museum poster), zteefunny eYe FS (2011, ultra fat keyhole face; + zteefunny dm eYeFS), ztencils eYeFS (2011, army stencil face), ztires-eYeFS (2011, texture face), ztoasts eYeFS (2013), ztonewall eYeFS (2013), ztorm eYeFS (2013, blackletter), ztrands eYeFS (2011), ztrange eYeFS (2010), ztrange blk eYeFS (2011), ztream eYeFS (2011), ztrong eYeFS (2013, sci-fi), ztrontiumdog eYe FS (2013, fat stencil), ztructures eYe FS (2012, crosshaired), zturdy-eYeFS (ultra-fat), ztylo eYeFS (2011, art deco).
- zummertime eYe FS (2012).
- zunset eYeFS (2012), zuzanna eYeFS (2013, Western, Italian).
- zweater eYeFS (2011, knitted look), zweet eYeFS (2013), zwimming eYeFS (2011), zwire blk eYeFS (an LED face), zwiss-eYeFS.
- zybaris eYeFS (2012), zybona-eYeFS (athletic lettering), zychotropic eYeFS (2013, an Italian Western face), zydonia eYeFS (2012), zykedelia-eYeFS (2012), zylone-eYeFS (2011), zylvania eYeFS (2013, retro automotive script), zynopsis eYe FS (2013), zyrano eYeFS (2013), zyrens eYeFS (2013), Zyrup Eye FS (2013).
[Behaviour (was: type behaviour)]
Arthur Lui (Arfurware) is the designer of Sports Jersey (2004, athletic face), and Etobicoke (2004, squarish face). [Google]
Måns Grebäck (Aring Typeface, Örebro, Sweden) is a prolific Swedish designer (b. Lindesberg, Sweden, 1990), who lives in Borlänge, Sweden. Måns Grebäck has a bachelor's degree in graphic design from the University of Dalarna (2012). In 2010, he went commercial, and started selling fonts through MyFonts. In 2011 he started Mawns Design. In 2013, that was renamed to Aring Typeface. In 2011 he already had over seven million downloads of his fonts, which were featured at websites such as Dafont and Myfonts. He also does custom type work. His typefaces, both free and commercial:
- Amplify (2013). A signage script.
- Angilla Tattoo (2013). a connected spurred tattoo typeface.
- Antlers (2012). A calligraphic script.
- Arachnids (2011, graffiti face)
- Barkants (2011, elegantly hand-printed family)
- Beautiful Trouble (2012). A rabbit-eared upright connected script.
- Beckasin (2011, signage face)
- Before The Rain (2011, calligraphic).
- Billion Stars (2013). A tattoo script font.
- Bira (2012). A retro connected brush / signage script.
- Blockography (2011)
- Block Talk (2011, with Zaydek Michels-Gualtieri)
- Blods (2011, a great blotty brush face)
- Botanink (2011)
- Brannboll (2011, baseball signage face; Brannboll Ny was done in 2013), Brannboll NY (2013).
- Bready (2011). A retro signage script with art nouveau aroma.
- Brother Tattoo (2012).
- Bumblebees (2012). A plump curvy script.
- Calendary Hands (2012).
- Caneletter Sans and Script (2013). Upright unconnected and connected scripts.
- Castro Script (2012).
- Celebrater (sic) (2012). An oily font.
- Cellos Script (2013).
- Centeria Script (2012).
- Channel (2011, connected upright script)
- Characteristic (2011). Additional image.
- Chavenir (2011).
- Clear Line (2012). A fat finger / signage typeface.
- Clipper Script (2011).
- Coneria Script (2012). A connected script.
- Crackin (2011)
- CutScript (2011, connected script)
- Echinos Park Script (2012).
- Ekologie Hand (2012).
- Enlighten (2011)
- Delinquente (2012).
- Denigan (2011, hairline)
- Equal Sans (2012).
- Espesor Olas (2011, fine handprinted calligraphic family)
- Europe Underground (2010, geometric sans with a hairline weight)
- Faltura (2011, constructivist), Faltura Alien (grunge), Faltura Guerra (grunge)
- Faltura Animals (2011)
- Feathergraphy Decoration (2011, calligraphic).
- Dollie Script (2013).
- Feathergraphy Clean (2011).
- Fibrography (2013). A caps face composed of fibers.
- Filbert Brush (2012), Filbert Color (2013, a soft brush font).
- First Lyrics (2011)
- Frankentype (2013). An all-caps brush face for signage.
- Funkygraphy (2011, fat and counterless)
- Ghang (2011, graffiti family).
- Greback Grotesque (2012). The Thin is very very thin.
- Gretoon (2011, cartoon family)
- Handtalk (2010, silhouettes)
- Harbell (2013).
- Hard Block (2011, Western slab face)
- Hemmet (2013). A signage script.
- Hitalica (2011), Housegrind (2013, connected script).
- Impregnable (2013). A connected script.
- Intrique Script (2013). A baseball script.
- Jacked Eleven (2011), Jacked Eleven Highlight (2011), January Script (2013).
- Kerater (2011, sans)
- Lace 2.0 (2012). A thin connected script codesigned with Matteo Milazzo.
- Las Enter (2013). A neon light script.
- Let Me Ride (2011)
- Levitee (2011, a lively connected script).
- Lighthouse (2013). A bold high-contrast script face.
- Lina Script (2012). A tattoo script done with Vicky Mardian.
- Lyrics Movement (2011, tall-ascendered hand).
- Masteries (2013). A connected formal script.
- Milkyway Hotel (art deco sans).
- Monsta Tag (2013): a graffiti font.
- Motion Picture (2013). A heavy connected retro script.
- Mount (2012).
- MAWNS Graffiti (2010) and MAWNS Serif (2010)
- MAWNS Handwriting (2010).
- Made With B (2011, sketched face).
- Mardian (2012). A calligraphic tattoo script done with Vicky Mardian.
- Markera (2011, marker pen family)
- Many Weatz (2011)
- Mawns Rock (2011)
- Monoment (2011). A fat upright connected script.
- Optien (2011, techno face)
- Ordinatum (2011, a severe sans)
- Ornamental Versals (2011, ornamental caps)
- Pennybridge 1563 (2010, blackletter)
- Phraell (2013). A great italic formal calligraphic script with optional swashes.
- Pineapple (2012).
- Prime Script (2012).
- Prognostic (2011)
- Quickier Pro (2012). A swashy calligraphic script face.
- R-2014 (2011, LED face)
- Radio 187.5 (2010, techno family)
- Recorda Script (2013). A formal calligraphic script.
- Remachine Script (2013). Retro signage script.
- Respective (2011, calligraphic script, +Swashes)
- Rider (2011, a 30-style "versal" sans family)
- Ringer (circle and arc-based sans)
- Roskrift (2011, calligraphic; + Roskrift Clean)
- Ruthless Wreckin (graffiti faces), Ruthless Drippin' (dripping paint family)
- Sculptor's Hand (2011, connected chancery hand)
- Second Lyrics (2011, Treefrog-style handwriting)
- Servin' for Salute (2011)
- Shipped Goods (2011). A copperplate calligraphic script.
- Shortbrush (2011)
- Signerica (2011, connected flowing hand)
- Sketchica (2011, sketchy face)
- Society Editor (2013, connected script).
- Snacker Comic (2013).
- Snowstreet (2013, an octagonal typeface) and Snowy (2013).
- Some Weatz (2011, calligraphic, copperplate; +Swashes)
- Southern Aire (2013, connected script face).
- Square Worm (2011)
- Stainy (2013). A signage script.
- Stroke Dimension (2011, 3d face)
- Suecos Locos (2011---yummy!)
- Sverige Script (2012). Calligraphic wedding font.
- Tevegraphy (2011, elliptical)
- The World is Yours (2011, quaint)
- Throwupz (2011)
- Tipbrush Script (2011).
- Top Comic (2013). A very fat cartoon bubble face.
- Treehouse (2011, upright connected script; +Snowhouse for a snow-covered version)
- Tusch Touch 1 (2011)
- Two and Three (2011: a tattoo parlor blackletter family)
- Typographic Onedalism (2011, graffiti simulation face)
- Ventography (2013). A bold signage script.
- Walk Da Walk One
- Wankstaberg Battles (2010, a tall fat script)
- Wild Growth (2011).
- Xtreem (2012).
- Yanty, Yanty Big, Yanty Script, and Yanty Script Big (2012).
- Yoghurt (2011).
View Mans Grebäck's typefaces.
Abstract Fonts link. Fontspace link. MyFonts link. Another URL. Dafont link. Klingspor link. Buy fonts directly from Måns Grebäck. Old URL. [Google]
Artist of Design
Commercial foundry that was in Kensington and/or Moorhead, MN, but is now in Park Rapids, MN, run by André Zottolo. Most of his fonts are handprinted, such as AZ Cut Script (2011, a script), AZ Pledge, AZ Grampa, AZ Fast Fury, AZ Hello, AZ Dude, AZ Tiki, AZ Script, AZ New Rough, AZ Imperial, AZ College (+Brushed), and AZ Vintage Tattoo, all made ca. 2010-2011.
His earliest fonts were free. They included Alpha, Barracuda, Collem, Cornelia, Declan, Funtime, Roughfart, Tiki, MessyGirl.
Typefaces from 2011: AZ Union is a Western face. AZ Text and AZ Dramamine are grungy hand-printed faces. AZ Sailor Tattoo is an outline tattoo face. AZ Hello Brushed is a brush face inspired by auto repair signs. AZ Rough Fart is a squarish mural brush face. AZ Wings is Victorian. AZ Placid is an eroded outline face.
Type designs from 2012: AZ Mavericks (based on a skateboard logo), AZ Barista (inspired by Leonetto Cappiello's poster art from the 1920s), AZ Indian (signage script), AZ Harpers July (inspired by Edward Penfield's poster art from ca. 1900), AZ Plug Italic (inspired by the poster art of Edward Penfield and Franz Hazenplug, ca. 1900), AZ Audiotape, AZ Kiss (sketched type), AZ Varsity (athletic lettering), AZ Varsity Brush (textured version), AZ Claire (fat signage script).
Typefaces from 2013: AZ Watercolor, AZ Brand (connect-the=dots script), , AZ Hobie (signage script), AZ Storm (Western look), AZ Declan (scratchy typeface), AZ Clouds (spurred).
Klingspor link. Creative Market link. Fontspring link.
View the typeface library of Artist of Design. [Google]
Astype.de is a German foundry started in 2003 by illustrator and type designer Andreas Seidel (b. 1975). He lives in Cottbus, Germany. Home page. See also here. In 2007, he and Ingo Preuss set up The German Type Foundry. The typefaces:
- One of his first typefaces was Crayfish (originally a URW font, but withdrawn by Seidel from URW in 2002). Crayfish is a display type originally designed for an American Football club. The Crayfish faces are sold as Thunder Bold and Titan Bold.
- Check his nice weather symbols (not a font).
- He finished Ornaments Thanksgiving and the great ASTYPEOrnaments-WineGrape A (2004).
- He is working on 14th century initials (2003).
- He created Sattler (2003): Joseph Kaspar Sattler, one of the great German art nouveau artists created these nice initials in 1897 for the famous royal monumental book project Die Nibelunge for the Reichsdruckerei Berlin. Only 200 exclusive signed masterpieces were printed in four years from 1900 till 1904. Joseph Sattler was the art director, type designer and designer in one person. The Reichsdruckerei showed samples of the unfinished work in 1900 at the world exhibition in Paris to advertise the high craftsmanship of the German presses.
- He made Heraut (2003), an art nouveau lettering face based on a 1901 design of Hermann Hoffmann called Herold Reklameschrift.
- He created Sveva AS Versal (2003, art nouveau).
- About Missa Solemnis, he writes: Solemnis was designed by Günter Gerhard Lange and first cut in metal 1953 (this is the date he quotes himself, other sources mention 1950 or 1952). It seems to be one of his earliest typeface designs that he had done as a freelancer for H. Berthold AG in Berlin. [...] Missa Solemnis AS is a new, remastered and extended version of Mr Lange's typeface. The font is available in the OpenType format and comes in two styles: 1953 and 2003. The 1953 style contains all characters of the original metal type, as well as a few additions. [...] The 2003 cut is more delicate and makes extensive use of the OpenType format. It contains over 650 glyphs, covering Roman-based languages of Western and Central Europe. His Solemnis inspired Simeon AS (2003), a 650-glyph uncial style face.
- In 2004, he created Missale Incana, an interpretation of a face from Herbert Thannhaueser.
- Still in 2004, he created ASTYPE Ornaments Christmas A2 and ASTYPE Ornaments Christmas A. These were followed in 2005 by ASTYPE Ornaments Christmas B.
- He made Missale Lunea (2004, uncial). This has astroligical symbols, moon phases and medieval characters.
- In 2005, the exquisite calligraphic script face Gracia was added, consisting of Gracia No. 44, 45, 54 and 55 (graceful calligraphic script), and Gracia Solo.
- Paola is a redesigned, new interpretation of a brush typeface from Carl Rudolf Pohl.
- He made Adana (2005): The roots of Adana going back to the year 1930, to the Berlin-based German graphic designer Wilhelm Berg. His typeface can be interpreted as an answer to Lucian Bernhards Schönschrift. The Initials are nearly close to the original drawings but the Circular typeface was changed dramaticly. Excentric, unusual forms and loops were changed to fit todays needs. Due to the lack of a corresponding Roman letter form, the Regular version was designed including small caps, fitting the contrast and swinging shapes of Adana Circular. Both typefaces play well together in all kinds of adverts, as well with designs like Bodoni or Didot.
- Alea AS Initials (2005) is a floral faced based on the drawings of Maria Ballé.
- Taiko (2006).
- ASTYPE Ornaments Accolades A (2007), and ASTYPE Ornaments Accolades C (2011).
- GTF Toshna Std (2008, German Type Foundry) is a garaldic type family in three optical weights, after a 1955 family called Tschörtner-Antiqua by Hellmuth Tschörtner that was very popular in the DDR.
- Secca (2009, German Type Foundry) is a simple sans family rooted in early German grotesque type designs.
- Nepos (2010) is an experimental modular type kit consisting of ready-made typefaces and a set of special BUILD fonts to build your own letters and ornaments. These BUILD fonts can be used on layers with different colors and overprinting for special effects. The effects like Antiplex can be considered as kitchen tiles. There are also color inversions and stencil types.
- Secca Saloon (2011) is a versatile ornamental Western family.
- Popsil (2011) is a white-on-black hand-printed poster face.
- Ademo (2011) is a classic shaded layered 3d caps face, based on two typefaces designed by Carl Albert Fahrenwaldt that were published in 1931-1932 by Schriftguss AG.
- Wood Bonnet Antique No.7 (2012) is based on real vintage wood type blocks from Switzerland.
- VTG Stencil US No. 4 (2012) is based on plate US No. 4 from New York Stencil Works. This revolving stencil-plate was invented by Eugene L. Tarbox and patented in 1868.
- VTG Stencil Germany No. 1 (2013) is a set of nicely executed didone stencil typefaces based on real models used in Germany from 1871-1918 and later. There is a Sketch style.
View Andreas Seidel's typefaces. [Google]
Creators of the sports lettering font DMC.TTF (1994). [Google]
Bob Alonso (b. Bronx, NY, 1946, d.2007), the founder of BA Graphics in 1994, is an American typographer who designed Damage Control (1993, grunge), Mango Gothic (1991), Pimento (1998), Shooby (1992), Pink Mouse (1992, psychedelic), Tequila (1992, a bouncy play on Didot), Alex (1996, child's hand), Chicken Soup (1993), PC Gothic (2005), Rust Bucket (1994), ITC Aftershock (1996), ITC Outback (1997), ITC Serengetti (1996), ITC Ziggy (1997), Gusto Black (2003), Vinchenso (2003), Blog (2007, 1890's style display egyptian), Nine One One BA (2007, grunge). He also designed the clean handwriting face Zipty Do, Serendipity (2006), CEO Roman (2007), Paladium Gothic (2007, a sans), Snip Tuck (1994, a headline face), Rancho Grande (1995), Radiance Brush (1997, a casual brush script), and Sahara Bodoni (1996). 33 years of experience at NewYork's Photo Lettering, and specializing to some extentv in calligraphic script faces, but not exclusively so. BA Graphics was located in Chester, NY, and later in Toms River, NJ, and now sells its fonts through MyFonts.
The complete list: ITC Aftershock, Alexandra Script (a formal script), Allure, Alons Antique, Alons Classic, Angular, Animated Gothic, Barnboard, Bedrock, Bodoni Roma (1993), Cabernet Sauvignon (2007, a take on Didot---I can't believe BA Graphics trademarked this name!), Cafe Aroma, California Sans, Calafragalistic (1992), Caslon Manuscript (1992), Champ Ultra (1995, Western billboard font), Chunky Monkey, Cookie Dough, Crackers, Crescent, Down Under, Elegante, Elephant Bells, Ellington Manor, Equate (1993), Extreme (chalk writing, 1996), Felicity Script, Flix, Freaky Friday Extreme, French Vanilla, Galactic, Geo (2000), Granny Smith, Gusto Black, Headline Gothic, High Intensity, Island Sans, Italian Didot, Kresson Black, Linear Gothic, Lorraine Script, Mardi Gras, Mega (1993, a fat mini-spurred didone), Milano, Nightmare, ITC Outback, Pecos, Ravenwood, Red Dawg, Relaxed Fit, Richmond Hill, Road Gothic (1996), Robertson, Senegal, ITC Serengetti, Shazam, Sign Gothic Bold Condensed, Slam Dunk, Sleepy Hollow, Swank Gothic, Title Gothic Light, Torino Modern, Triumph Gothic, Vinchenso Regular, Wackado, Yakety Yak (1994), Zany, ITC Ziggy, Zipty Do, Queen of Hearts (1991, script), Steel Magnolias (1995, blackletter family), Steeplechase (1992, wild West saloon font), Waimea (1992, poster font), Black Rising (2006, a black military style face), Summer Nights (1993, script), Sugar Shack (1995, curly script), Beaches and Cream (1996, a sans turned into a connected script), Jr High (1994, sports lettering).
Alonso Flair with its flared pants (2008) and Squat (2011, a stunted black wood style face) were started by Alonso, but finished after his death by John Bomparte, who wrote this obituary: Throughout his career at the legendary Photo-Lettering, Inc. (one that spanned four decades), Bob created original typefaces and tailored type by modifying, revising and filling out families, fashioning pieces of type for hand-lettered jobs, as well as being involved with the updating of a number of well-known logotypes. Bob was blessed with natural teaching abilities; and those in social and professional circles who had the good fortune to know him considered him not just a type designer but a mentor and a friend. As one such person close to him put it, he was a "graphic technician... back when computers were not even in site for graphic arts, he would take on any intricate&complex graphic project that others would shy away from and come up with a solution that achieved a masterpiece. I'll always remember someone saying 'this can't be done' and Bob saying let me see it and a short time later, there it was --done&perfect. I would like to think that attitude rubbed off on me. Along with this gift for teaching and explaining the complex, Bob exhibited a level of professionalism that was unsurpassed. A number of years ago when the need came to make the transition from the traditional to digital way of creating fonts, he rose to the challenge admirably. Towards the last few years of Photo-Lettering, Bob played a vital role in the conversion to digital, of many of the typefaces within the collection, notably those fonts that carry the prefix PL. More recently, Bob Alonso released several fonts through ITC, Adobe and his independent foundry, BA Graphics. Bob was on the cutting edge of his best work, and in the circumstance of his untimely passing, left a measure of unfinished designs. However, the spirit of his typographic talents and his fine sense of humor lives on through the many much-loved, and popular fonts he has left us: fonts such as Cookie Dough, Equate, Elephant Bells and Pink Mouse, to name a few.
The final font listing at MyFonts: ITC Aftershock, Alex, Alexandra Script, Allure, Alons Antique, Alons Classic, Alonso Flair, Angular, Animated Gothic, Bad Boy, Barnboard, Bedrock, Bodoni Roma, Brawn, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cafe Aroma, Calafragalistic, California Sans, Cedar Key, CEO Roman, Champ Ultra, Chardonnay, Chicken Feet, Chicken Soup, Chunky Monkey, Clearmont, Coffee Black, Cookie Dough, Crescent, Deco Inline, Deep Rising (2006, constructivist), Down Under, Elegante, Elephant Bells, Ellington Manor, Equate, Extreme, Fashion Didot, Felicity Script, Flix, Fraggle, Freaky Friday Extreme, French Vanilla, Galactic, Geo, Grandeur, Granny Smith, Gusto Black, Hatari, Headline Gothic, High Intensity, Island Sans, Italian Didot, Jr High, Ka Boink, Ker Pow, Key West, Klingon, Kresson Black, Linear Gothic, Lorraine Script, Malibu Heights, Manchester, Mardi Gras, Mega, Metro Gothic, Milano (2004, a didone face), Mission Hills, National Gothic, Nightmare, Oh Sweet Pea, ITC Out of the Fridge, ITC Outback, Paladium Gothic, PC Gothic, Pecos, Pink Mouse, Queen Of Hearts, Radiance Brush, Rancho Grande, Range Gothic, Ravenwood, Relaxed Fit, Road Gothic, Robertson, Rust Bucket, S&L Gothic, Sahara Bodoni, Senegal, Serendipity, ITC Serengetti, Shadow Gothic, Shangrala, Shazam, Shore Bodoni, Sign Gothic Bold Condensed, Slam Dunk, Sleepy Hollow, Sleezy, Snaggle, Snip Tuck, South Beach, Spice, Steel Magnolias, Steeplechase, Summer Nights, Swank Gothic, Tequila, Thats Amore, Title Gothic Light, Triple Condensed Gothic, Triumph Gothic, Vinchenso Regular, Wackado, Waimea, Wall Street Gothic, Wonka (1996, named after Willy Wonka), Yakety Yak, Zany, ITC Ziggy, Zipty Do.
FontShop link. Klingspor link.
View Bob Alonso's typefaces. View the BA Graphics typeface collection. [Google]
Fontstructor who made the octagonal typeface Brazil Jersey 2011 B (2013). [Google]
Behaviour (was: type behaviour)
Behaviour was founded in 1996 by Anuthin Wongsunkakon and Nirut Krusuansombat in Bangkok. They do graphic design, mainly. Type Behaviour is the font library of Behaviour. Anuthin teaches graphic design at School of Art and Design, Bangkok University and Chulalongkorn University.
Fonts include OCRX, Aspirin, Interviewer, Songothic (1999), Behaviour, Keystonestate, Effectra, Hydrous, Ideologica, Waveeweekend, Matamorphosis, Berlidin. Commercial fonts available at T26 and PsyOps (where he did Hydrous). Also, many dingbats by Nirut Krusuansombat, again without downloads. Custom-made Thai fonts too.
[T-26] designer of Aspirin, Aspirin Advance, Aspirin Refill (hairline), Automate (2008), Behaviour, Berlidin, Carbon, Cellular One, Cellular Two, Cellular three, Coupe, Datum, Dotto, Dotto Deluxe, Effectra, Harbinger, Hydrous (2009, PsyOps and T-26), Ideologica, Interviewer, Keystone State, Labelo Ext, Labelo Rom, Labelo Uni, Metamorphosis, Myers Sans, OCRBe, OCRX, QR-Type, Son Gothic (+New Son Gothic), Wavee Weekend (upright script, Foto (2006, dingbats), Harbinger (2004, stencil), Myers Sans (2005), Aspirin, Carbon (2003, an octagonal font, which reappeared in 2006 as Carbon C6 and in 2008 at Cadson Demak as carbon Plus), Coupe (2006, 4-weight sans family), Labelo (2003, octagonal, +Varsity), Dotto, Dotto Deluxe (2002, dot matrix font), Behaviour, Berlidin (nice serifs), Ideologica (2000), Interviewer, KeystoneState, Metamorphosis, SonGothic, WaveeWeekend (2000), OCRX (2001, T-26), and Effectra (2001, T-26), Cellular-Complete (2002, T-26), POBox (2002, T-26, dingbats of postal imprints), Datum (2002, pixel font), Baked (2007, T-26), Board (2004, T-26), OCR-Be (2006).
Free font: Katan U Kata Way T (Thai font).
Dingbats: Arvaiyava, Bahnpaburut, I'm icons, Monsoon, Pixxo (pixel-based icons), Prajanbarn, SO-6.
MyFonts sells the athletic lettering fonts Labelo Ext (2007, T-26), Option Sans (2009, T-26), Labelo Varsity and Board Deluxe, Enzyme (2010, Cadson Demak), Amino (2010, Cadson Demak: an organic family).
Typefaces at Katatrad include Ra Bobb Thai (2012, octagonal).
Typefaces from 2013: EQ Pro (+Rounded: Cadson Demak).
FontShop link. Klingspor link.
View Anuthin Wongsunkakon's typefaces. [Google]
Creator of Messy Ben (2012, handprinted) and TBL Vintage (2012, an athletic lettering face that replicates the 1992 Tampa Bay Lightning uniform letters and numbers). Home page at Affordable Design Solutions, which is located in Grass Lake, MI. [Google]
FontStructor in Fort Riley, KS, b. 1974, who made several heavy and severe-looking octagonal faces in 2010 and 2011, including Brakemen CLE, Bullhorn, Commando 2011, Wild Bull, Rudius, Battalion, Goth Spike, Brakeman New, Universitario, Tuff Commando, Saber, Vengeance2, Valley Forge, Griff (loosely based on the NHL 2011 All Star Game font), Assault Vertical, Bullhorn Spike, Universitario Trace, Vengeance, Rails, Assault Hockey, Emerald City, Brigade, Amateur Pacifist (2011, athletic lettering), Paradise, Vengeance 2011, Assault, Brakemen CLE. Some fonts are in the techno / futuristic style, and others are tattoo fonts.
Typefaces made in 2013: Railroader (octagonal), 2nd Brigade, Emerald City (octagonal).
Abstract Fonts link. Dafont link. Another Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
GAMECUBENDualSet (2001) is a free sports lettering font. I can't enter the web pages though because certain browsers are blocked. Unclear whether the font is made by Remco Eijssen or "Q. Manning". Fontspace link. [Google]
[Agustín Luis Bou]
Hailing from Rosario, Argentina, this designer (b. 1992) created the free athletic lettering faces Bou Collegiate (2008) and Bou College (2008), the hand-printed Bou Handwriting (2009) and Handform (2009), the dot matrix face Score Board (2009), Squarefont (2011), Movie Letters (2011), and BOU Western (2011). [Google]
Bric Type is a typography consultant company based in Brazil and The Netherlands, run by Yomar Augusto, who holds a BA in graphic design (University of Rio de Janeiro, 2000) and MA in type design (Type & Media at the Royal Academy of Art in The Hague, 2005). Personal URL. As a Brazilian graphic artist, he has been involved in two Rojo ArtStorm projects. Yomar lives in Rotterdam. At ATypI 2008 in St. Petersburg, he ran an experimental calligraphy workshop called Kalligraphos.
His typefaces include Den Dekker (2006), and the roundish liquid creations such as Virgem, Rejane, Liquida (2002) and Dizain. No downloads. More recent faces: Duin (2007, octagonal), REMF (2006, stencil), DC (2007, ultra-fat), Fake Human (2005, script), Jana (2006, unicase), War (2007, octagonal), Fuck Shit Up (2007, stencil), Charlie Dee (2002, hairline stencil), Marina Lima (2002), Lasagna (2008, Re-Type: a fat geometric poster family, produced with the help of Miguel Hernandez). In 2009-2010, he created the Adidas Unity typeface [images: i, ii, iii]. In 2011, he designed the multiline headline face Andoverpis. The Dog House Nike (2010) is a custom typeface for The Dog House Athlete center for runners in Amsterdam. [Google]
Bright Ideas Fonts
A foundry which made over 500 fonts, mostly in 1998-1999, and seemed to be located in Carlsbad, CA, where Gail Conwell edited their Bright Ideas Magazine at that time. Dafont link. Another URL. Font Squirrel link.
Typefaces in alphabetical order with a few additional fonts mentioned separately later: Abraham, Accumulation, Adderley, Aerosol, Akimbo, Alexander, Amadeus-Regular, Amadeus, Amadeuz, Anderson, Arkitex, Arthur, Ashley, Asphalt, Asphalt'Wicker', Avante, Aztecan, Backlit, Balcony, Banshee, Barbarian, Barnaby, Barney, Beanbag, Bender, Bicycle, Billie, BlackRose, Blanchard, Blazed, Blossom, Bodkin, Bogsley, Boingo, Bonham, Botica, Bradley, Braxton, Brittany, Brownie, Bubbly, Bullwinkle, Bumper, Bunker, Butterscotch, Cajalco, Camelot, Candles, CandlesChrome, Candy, Canterbury, Cappuccino, Capsule, Carbiner, Carousel, Carrington, Carson, Casanova, Catfish, Cathedral, Catnip, Cecily, Ceremony, Challenge, Chamberlain, Chance, Chantilly, Cheetah, Chilled, Chocolate, Chopstick, Chump, Conniption, Corrigan, Corrosion, Crawford, Cyborg, Daffodil, Dakota, Danferno, DantesInferno, Darcie, Daytona, Delineator, Dementia, Diamondhead, Donika, Donnah, Dribble, Einstein, Elizabeth, Energy, Espresso, EspressoBI, FabreseDemi, Fairytale, Fallbrooke, Fiancee, Fido, Fionah, Fontana, Fonture, Fortress, Framed, Frankie, Frazier, Freddy, Frederick, Frizbee, Funhouse, Futana, Gapetto, Gatsby, Gemini, Gershaw, Gobbledygook, Godfrey, Goliath, Gonzales, Gonzo, Gothica, Graphitti, Grasshopper, Grendel, Griffin, Groovy, Habibe, Hannah, Hansel, Haskel, Havisham, Hawthorne, Henderson, Hendrix, Higgins, Highland, Holmes, Horton, Humphry, Hutchinson, Incense, Independence, IndependencefromBrightIdeas, Interpret, Invisible, Jacinda, Jacoby, Jaddarack, Jagger, Jamboe, Jangazoo, Jeremy, Jigsaw, Jokester, Joplin, Joseph, Joshua, Jubilee, Junior, Kaboom, Kamden, Karissa, Katherine, Kaufman, Kayleigh, Kendra, Kennedy, Khaki, KhakiBold, KhakiBoldOblique, KhakiOblique, Khakiripp, Khakiwrink, Kilcher, Killian, Kincade, Kingdom, Kinison, Klinker, Komodo, Kramer, Kromeon, Kryski, Kurrajong, Kyanna, Labrador, Leallie, Leland, Licorice, Limousine, Lindsy, Liquitek, Lockleer, Lockwood, Londonderry, Loyalty, Machine, Maddox, Madman, Magazine, Magellan, Maggie, Magician, Majesty, Malachite, Malone, Mandolin, Margarita, Marilyn, Marley, Marmalade, Marquardt, Martin, Mascara, Masters, McMahon, Mckinsey, Mechanizm, Meddler, Michelle, Milano, Millenium, Moccasin, Mongrel, Monolyth, Monster, Montey, Montoya, Moonstar, Morgan, Morrison, Morteza, Moteefe, Muskrat, Mustard, Napkin, Neolite, Newlywed, Nirvana, Noodles, Nouveau, OldWood, Oliver, Omicron, Pajama, Palooza, Panache, Paperclip, Papercut, Parbuckle, Parkinson, Paschico, Patches, Patriot, Patton, Payton, Pebbles, Pegasus, Perkins, Phantom, Picante, Picasso, Pickles, Pigeon, Pinhead, Pirouette, Platinum, Poodle, Pugsly, Quantum, Quentin, Radford, Ragetta, Ramirez, Rampart, Ramsey, Rapunzel, Rathskeller, Ravage, Ravish, Razor, Rebecca, Recess, Rediculous, Reefrash, Remeus, Revenge, Rhackoon, Rhodes, Ricksha, Riesling, Rockafella, Rockford, Rockola, Romance, Romulus, Rookie, Rutger, Ruxton, SMCChicago, SMCHollywood, SMCMiami, SMCMonteCarlo, SMCPhoenix, Sabien, Sampson, Samurai, Sangrial, Sapphire, Sapporo, Sawyer, Scarab, Scarlet, Scirocco, Scorpio, Scratch, Scrubblack, Scrubbold, Scrubcle, Scrublight, Sebastian, Seymour, Shakah, Shardee, Sheela, Skatty, Sketcher, Skyline, Skywalker, Snoozie, Snowboard, Squared, Stacker, Starsky, Stencil, Stencilla, Stiltskin, Sublime, Sundance, Surkle, Surrender, Swashed, Swingreg., Tagger, Tamarin, Tamborine, Tanner, Tantrum, Tarzana, Taylor, Teriyaki, Thompson, Thrash, Thrust, Tiddwell, Trapeze, Trident, Trinket, TrujillietXtra, Tuolumne, Twinkle, Tybette, Urbana, Vargas, Ventolin, Ventura, Vitrono, Vulmere, Waynne, Weiland, Whitney, Windsong, Winslow, Winton, Wonton, Wookie, Zargon, Ziggie.
Additional fonts not in the list above: Andrew, Boogie, Fracas, Mandrel, Sinclair, Tuxedo, Varsity.
A shady company that sold a 10,000+ truetype font CD, ClickArt Fonts 2, for 20 USD, in the late 1990s, early 2000s. Most of these fonts are shamelessly renamed fonts from elsewhere. Some have made it to the free site Dafont: Varsity Regular (1996, athletic lettering), Continuum (monoline squarish sans), Tabitha (script), Stars&Stripes. [Google]
Creator of the octagonal athletic lettering font Nike Motto (2011), which is patterned after the lettering used by Juventus and Werder Bremen. Other athletic lettering faces include Liverpool FC (2011), Atletico Madrid Varsity (2011), FC Barcelona 2011 (2011), and Digital Brazil (2011). Free downloads at abhostia. Aka Dekabreak. [Google]
Creator of these typefaces in 2012: Monogram (octagonal), Phys Ed Dept (athletic lettering), Wild Modern (spurred Far West face), and Queens Bridge (bubblegum, psychedelic).
Jason lives in New York city. All the fonts can be downloaded from his site (Burnhaus Studios), but three of the four downloads do not work.
Behance link. Personal web site. [Google]
Born in 1956 in Santiago, Cuba, Segura founded the design firm Segura Inc in 1991 and the type foundry [T-26] in 1994 in Chicago.
He made Square 40 and Square 45 (2006, athletic lettering, octagonal), 26FacesA, Peepod (2000, great ornaments), Boxspring (1995, dadaist), Dingura, FaxfontFine (1997), FaxfontStandard (1997), FaxfontTone, FlacoSolid, FreeBeCaps, FreeDom-Normal, Mattress, Neo-Bold, Pintor (2006, wallpainting face), RPM (decals and logos), Sport IT (dingbats), Time In Hell (deconstructed Times).
Interview at typographer.com. Emodigi site. Interview. Another interview. CV. Klingspor link.
Catalog of Carlos Segura's typefaces. [Google]
Graphic designer in Anderson, SC, who created the octagonal athletic jersey typeface Skyhook (2012). She graduated from Anderson University.
Caroline Brewer Photography link. [Google]
Casady & Greene
Casady&Greene, Inc. started out as two separate little companies, CasadyWare and Greene, Inc. CasadyWare, which was founded by Robin Casady in August 1984, began producing Fluent Fonts, which were bitmapped typefaces for the Macintosh. The 1984 set of fonts have copyright lines that mention Richard A. Ware. As soon as PostScript fonts appeared, CasadyWare got hold of the first version of Fontographer and produced the first downloadable PostScript fonts, even beating Adobe, the originators of PostScript, to the punch. These were marketed as Fluent Laser Fonts (FLF).
The FLF series includes Abilene (Western), Alexandria (1986, slab serif family), Black Knight (1991, blackletter), Bodoni FLF (1986), BodoniUltra (1986, a fat didone), Bonnard (art nouveau), ButtonHighlight, ButtonPlain, Calligraphy (1986), Campanile (a great didone face), Checkbox, Collegiate (1988, sports lettering), Coventry Script (calligraphic), Cutouts FLF (1992, cargo stencil), Desperado, Dorovar Carolus (1988, Carolingian), DryGulch, Epoque (art nouveau), FattiPatti, Fletcher Gothic (1992, art nouveau), Galileo (1987, didone), Gazelle (1988, calligraphic script), Gatsby (1986, pure art deco), Giotto, Gregorian (1986, English Gothic style blackletter), Harlequin FLF (1990), Highland Gothic (1992), Jott, Kasse, Kells (modern round Gaelic font, 1988), KeyCaps, La Peruta, Meath (modern round Gaelic font, 1988), Michelle (1992, art deco, marquee face), Micro, MicroExtend FLF (1986, like Microgamma) , Monterey (1986, Peignotian), Moulin Rouge (1992, an art nouveau face by Richard A. Ware), Nouveau (1990, art nouveau), Paladin (1988, blackletter), Pendragon (1991), Phoenix Script FLF (1990), Prelude (1986, connected script), Regency Script (1986, calligraphic copperplate script), Right Bank (1986, art deco), Ritz (1986, art deco in the style of Broadway), Rocko (1992, rounded like VAG Round), SansSerif FLF (1986, a large geometric sans family), Sedona Script (1990, connected, calligraphic, semi-psychedelic), Slender Gold (1992, script), Vertigo (1992, condensed monoline sans), VertigoPlus, Zephyr Script (1986, brush script).
Many fonts were digitized by Richard Ware, and some were designed by Mike Wright. The contact was Terry Kunysz in Salinas, CA.
On July 3, 2003, Casady&Greene closed it doors permanently. However, one of its designers, Mike Wright, writes: I believe that all the fonts that were developed by the company are now in the public domain. Robin Casady and I are thinking of putting up a site with free downloads of all of the old C&G public domain fonts--mainly as a way of attracting Mac users to see iData 2.
Robin Casady in 2003: I founded Casady Company in 1984 to publish fonts for the new Macintosh. The name changed with incorporation to CasadyWare, Inc. Around this time I met Mike Greene who was looking for a software project to do after SpellsWell. I talked him into doing a program that became QuickDEX. Later CasadyWare, Inc. merged with Greene, Inc. and became Casady & Greene, Inc. Over the years, my role in management reduced as my interests in other areas developed. In the last ten years I have had no official management duties at C&G. About a year ago I removed myself from the Board of Directors.
Some fonts can be found at TypOasis. Fontspace link. Fontex link. Font Squirrel link. Scan of some fonts. Dafont link. [Google]
Designs by Jason Castle from San Rafael, CA, who graduated from Dominican University of California. He does custom font design and sells commercial faces through MyFonts and FontShop. Blog. These include:
- A: AfrikaBorders, Afrika Motifs, Agency Open (M. F. Benton, 1934, revival Jason Castle), Agency Gothic Inline, Ampersands, Azbuka (2005, a heavy slab serif).
- B: Brasileiro (2007, an art deco face).
- Carisma (2007, a clean geometric sans), Carlos (art deco inspired by Elektra), Castle Fleurons, Chinoise (2008, based on hand lettering that is reminiscent of a style of ancient Chinese square-cut ideograms), Cloister Black, Copperplate Script.
- D: Deko Initials (1993, discontinued in 2007; based on NADA0 drawn in 1972 by Marcia Loeb), Dionisio (2008, didone).
- E: Eden (Bold, Light; originally designed by Robert H. Middleton in 1934).
- F: Fat Freddie, Futura CT and Futura CT Inline (2007, based on Futura ND, but discontinued after only a few weeks).
- G: Goudy Lombardy (Lombardic), GoudyStout, Goudy Text, Goudy Trajan (1994-2010, free; +alternates).
- H: Handsome (2002, nice finger dingbats, aka fists).
- J: Jensen Arabique (left field art deco, based on work of Gustav Jensen, 1933).
- K: Koloss (art deco).
- L: Latin CT (2008,, 6 styles), Latin Wide, Laureat, Lise Informal (2008, handprinted), Lombardy.
- M: Maximilian CS (Rudolf Koch, 1917), Metropolis Bold and Shaded (based on the 1932 Stempel cut as designed by W. Schwerdtner), Minotaur (2008, an original monoline design based on an Oscan votive inscription from the second century BC; looks like simulated Greek).
- N: Norberto (2009, an all-caps Bodoni; +Stencil).
- O: Ogun (2008, inspired by an Egyptian-style Russian block alphabet and useful for athletic lettering; formerly named Azbuka).
- P: Plantain (2002, a digital version of Plantin Adweight, a 1913 face by F. H. Pierpont), Plantain Stencil (2009), Progreso (2010, a condensed, unicase, serif gothic type design inspired by the hand-lettering on Russian posters from the 1920s).
- R: Radiant, Radiant Extra Condensed CT (both Radiants are revivals of Roger Middleton's face by that name, 1940), Ransahoff (2002, ultra condensed didone), Rudolf (1992, based on Rudolf Koch's German expressionist work such as Neuland).
- S: Samira (2008, art nouveau style), Shango (1993, based on Schneidler Initials by F.H.E. Schneidler (1936), and including a digital version of Schneidler Cyrillic (1992); extended in 2007 to Shango Gothic and in 2008 to a 3-d shadow version, Shango Chiseled, and in 2009 to Shango Sans), Sculptura (2005, an all caps face based on Diethelm's Sculptura from 1957), Sencia (2008, based on Spanish art deco stock certificate lettering from 1941), Sonrisa (2009, art deco family---Sonrisa Thin is free), Standard CT (a neo-grotesque family).
- Tambor (Light, Black, Inline, Adornado) (1992) (note: Jason claims that it was remotely based on Rudolf, which in turn was based on calligraphy of Rudolf Koch), Trio (an art deco sansserif), Trooper Roman (discontinued).
- V: Vincenzo (2008, a slabby didone), Warrior (2009, a 3d font based on Ogun; +Shaded).
- X: Xavier (art deco family based on Ashley Crawford by Ashley Havinden, 1930, revival by Jason Castle in 1992).
- Z: Zagora, Zamenhof (2011: an all caps poster face with constructivist ancestry, named after the inventor of Esperanto), Zuboni Stencil (2009, Latin and Cyrillic, constructivist).
Klingspor link. [Google]
Chank Fonts -- Chankstore
[Charles R. Anderson]
Foundry in Minnesota run by "Chank", who has been making fonts since 1992. Free fonts sub-page. Chank Diesel from Minneapolis (Charles Andermack in the NY Times and Charles R. Anderson, b. Edmonton, 1970, elsewhere) is Chank, the prolific designer. He runs Chank Fonts with Heidi Olmack ("El Mack de los Toros"). Earlier notices in his faces refer to CAKE Publications (2401 University Ave. NE, Mpls, MN 55418), Chank Foo, Schmopyright, and Exploding (PO Box 90100, San Diego, CA 92169). Bio by Susan Froyd. See also here or here or here or here. Handwriting font service for 95USD. 95 USD Go font Yourself font service based on filling out a form. Piece on Chank in the MinnPost. Chank is a popular and colorful figure who said this about himself: I like to drink a lot, and would like to think I'm known for it. Several of my fonts were inspired by booze, and I like to encourage other people to drink more, too. My best font is called Liquorstore.
A partial list of his faces:
- A: Adrianna (2004, a sans family), Ammonia, Anger-Prerelease, Asswipe, AsswipeDeluxxe, AztecPezRegular, Adrianna Extended (2005).
- B: BabOonjaZzbaSsoOn, Badoni, Bastard, Bawdy, BawdyBoldItalic, BawdyItalic, the Blinctype pack (Gomorrah, Sodom, Golgotha, Hamilton Offset, Player Piano), Birthday Girl, Blinkers, Bonehead, Braingelt (gothic), Brainhead, Bric-A-Brac BV (2002), Bridie, Brieincarnation, Brubecks Cube (2004), Buckethead, ButtplugTaft, The BLINCtype Letterpress Fontpak (2004, commercial: Gideon, Golgotha, Gomorrah, Goshen, Hamilton Offset, Player Piano, Prospect Modern and Sodom), Billsville (T-26).
- C: Chaloops (2005, comic book face), Chankbats Objects, Chankbats Critters (2001), Chankbats Flowers, Chankbats Flakes, Chankflakes (2002), ChauncyDecaf, ChauncyFatty, ChauncyPerkins, ChauncySnowman [this popular series from 1996-1998 is the first font family Chank ever made based on his own handwriting], Cheesewiddler, Chicken, ChickenBonus, Chippewa Falls (2005), Chub, Chumley (2002, first grade handwriting), Chunder (1996), Cleptomania, CollateralDamage, Corndog, CorndogClean, Coronette (2006, slab serif), Cosmic (1996), Couchlover97, CouchloverTruncata, CowboyRhumbahut (2000), CrotchlessTeddyRoosevelt, Crusti, CrustiEr, CrustiEst, CrustiWacky, CurbDog, Cookie Dough (2002), Cowboy Rhumbahaut (2000, Matt Frost).
- D: DarlingNikki, Dekapot (2007), DickwhippedLincoln, DongCasual, Drunk Cowboy (T-26), Dry Cowboy (2006, Tuscan), Dutch-Oven, Dutch-Treat.
- E: Easterbuns (2008, Ascender Corp: a signage face), EatpooChubby, EatpooSkinny, EatpooTall [note: the latter three fonts were renamed Eatwell], Evergreen.
- F: Fatthinfog, Flutterby (2006, free), Fucker, FriskyFlakes (2004), Fastlab (by David Cushman).
- G: Girl77, Glovebox, Goshen, Groovies-Normal.
- H: Halebopp, Harvester 3D (2008), HelveticaInaHamper, Hermenaut, HieronymousBoschian, HildeSharpie, HipstersDelight, HooskerDont, HooskerDoo, Hoover, Hystrix, HystrixHystrax, HystrixHystraxBordex, HystrixHystraxSleestax.
- I: Imastar, IndustrialSchizophrenic, Instructor, Isotope.
- J: Jawbox, JawboxChanky, Jawbreaker, Jeffersonofabitch, Johnson, Jingles (with Mike Cina).
- K: Kat Walk (geometric sans), Keester Black (2002), Kaiser, KlippyDingbats, Kraftwerk, KraftwerkNarrow, Kroozr, Kwikfont, Kegger (2007, a collegiate lettering face).
- L: Lambretta, Laundry, Laundrette, Lavaman, LemonadeSpeedster, Liquor 3D, Liquorstore (1997, a squarish face; since 2005 also in OT as Liquorstore 3D), Luncheonette.
- M: Mars (2007), Mantisboy, Marcusia, Metolurgy2typeindexcom, Mikrokoszmo, MinglerNipsy, MinglerRitzy, MinglerTipsy, Miss Amylin, MisterFrisky, MisterLincoln, Mister Twiggy (woodsy design), Monko-Blocky, Moonshine, MoonshineMurky, MC Auto (2002), McKraken.
- N: NailedToTheCross, NapkinTheModern, Nicotine, Nicotine Jazz, Nomadic, Nube.
- O: Ollivette and Ollivette Elite (old typewriter faces), Omnivore, Oooopsie (this 1997 font is just Helvetica with some circles dropped on top of it. The Helvetica trademark and Adobe copyright notices are still in the font!), OooopsieReverse, Ooopsie, Orbital, OrbusBjorkus, OrbusMultiserif.
- P: Panefresco (2011, 16 styles---a free sans family), PHreAkKruSty, Panzer, Paregos, Parkway-Hotel, Parkway-Motel, Parkway-Resortotel, PhysicsAlpha, PhysicsBeta, PlasticLasso, Player Piano (old stencil), Poker Party (2003), Polaroid22, Porkshop (1997, based on immigrant Manhattan signage), PorkshopGoodluck, Portastat, Prickly, Professor Minty (2005, curly), ProletarianBeta, Prospect-Modern, Puckfont.
- R: Redherring, RhumbaHut, Ribjoint, Rubble, Rosemary (2000-2001, T-26, a sign painters font).
- S: Saltwater, Schwinger (2003, script face), Schwing Shift (2003), Shadowboxer, Shakopee, SharpieStylie, SisterFrisky, SkippySharpie, SaucyMillionaire, Snipple, SooperCosmic, SpaceKrafty, SpaceToaster, Spacesuit, Spunkflakes (2002), StarryFHope, Sundayluck, Sunflower (2006, distressed typewriter), Swingdancer (2002, a custom connected script font first made for P. Puff Company), Swister (2004), GFY Santa Script (2004), Skylab, Shatner, Sunshine (2000-2001, T-26, grunge).
- T: Tabitha, Tacklebox, TackleboxFive, Thymesans, ThymesansItalic, Transam, Transam03 (2003, commercial version), Trucker.
- U: Ultramagnetic (by Mike Cina), UncleStinky.
- V: VenerealDisease, Venis (2002, big text family, T-26: reviewed by Hrant Papazian), Venis Small Caps (2004, T-26).
- W: Westsac (2003), Whorn, Wichita, Woodrow, Wordy Diva (1995, based on the handwriting of Lisa Bralts).
- Y: Yearling (2000).
- Z: ZsazsaGalore.
At Ascender, where one can buy the mostly hand-printed faces Birthday Girl, Bleacher, Bobby Zee, Chauncy Decaf, Churros, Collateral Damage, Couchlover, Easterbuns, Loopy Fiesta, Mister Marker, Mister Twiggy, Prickly, Snowballs, Space Toaster, Tipsy, Twigdancer, Younger Than Me (2009, grunge). [Google]
[Herbert F. Van Brink]
Prolific Woodland Hills, CA-based typophile and type designer (1937-2013) whose portfolio consisted largely of revivals and who used the alias Character for his typographic work. The Los Angeles Times posted this obituary: Herb passed away after a brief fight against esophageal cancer. He was a 42 year resident of Woodland Hills Ca. Son of the late Jean and Mary Van Brink, he was born in Manhattan, graduated from Stuyvesant High School (1952) and Queens College (1956) and always considered himself a New Yorker. He had a long career in Information Technology and retired from Arco. He loved traveling, bowling, genealogy, and was a bridge Life Master among his many interests. He was a trickster and a perfectionist. He leaves his wife, Paula, his son, David Van Brink and DIL Deb Culmer of Santa Cruz CA, his daughter Qarin Van Brink and SIL James Ray of Burien WA, grandchildren Amelia and Wilhelmina Ray Van Brink, brother and sister-in-law Jeffrey and Louise Van Brink of E. Northport NY and nephews Matthew and Jordan Van Brink.
- Animal dingbat fonts: AbecedarianZoo (2003, created from an alphabet in Art Explosion 200,000), Turf&surf (2005).
- Alphadings: Jennifer's train (2011), ABCPlay (2005), DiddleTheMouse (2005), Silly Set (2005), Stone Carving (2005), Snow Persons (2005), Alaskan Ice (2005), Peppermin Canes (2005), USStarsNStripes (2003, first called USFlags), XmasTree (2002), XmasTree II (2004), Xmas Alpha (2005).
- Erotic alphabets: Flotner (2002, based on a scan of the human character alphabet by Peter Flötner (1534)), SilvestreBodies (2006, based on a figurative alphabet designed by Joseph Balthazar Silvestre in 1834, with engravings made by Girault), ErotiCaps Outline (2007), ErotiCaps Solid (2007), WeygelBodies (2006, adapted from Martin Weygel's 1560 interpretation of Peter Flotner's 1534 figurative alphabet).
- Stained glass themed fonts: ModernStainedGlass (2007), ModernStainedGlass2Tone (2007).
- Capital alphabets: Cameo Antique (2011, after Cameo Antique on page 17 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces---a shadowed outline version of the typeface called NightShade, on the same page of Dan Solo's book; the only known digitized fonts of NightShade are "Shadowed Serif" by James Fordyce (1994) and NigelSadeSH, from Soft Horizons (1993)), Modern French Capitals (2010, after a set of capitals drawn by Alphonse Mucha), Mucha French Capitals (2010, similar?), Marcel Caps (2007; based on "Crossroads" by August Will (1891)), WoodLook (2007, an improvement of 101's Wooden Alpha BlockZ), 3DAlphabet (2008, based on an alphabet coloring book designed by Jean Larcher, 1978), RomantiqueInitials (2007, based on work by Aridi), Blistered, BlisteredFramed, BlisteredReverse (2005, based on Marwan Aridi's Blister from the Initial Caps Vol I), ChiseledRound, Contemporary CH (2010), CourierInitials (2005, based on an alphabet by Johan)), Eclectica (2003, party-theme), FeathersInYourCaps (2002), FlowerSketches (2002), LACETRIM (2002), LeafyStencil (2003), QuiltedStippled (2004, based on an embroidery alphabet created by DesignsInStitches), RetroCapsBW (2004), RetroCapsWB (2004), Rope5 (2004, rope font), Rustic Black Shadow (2011. He explains: In the Solotype Catalog of 4,147 typefaces, RUSTIC is shown with a black shadow. RUSTIC WHITESHADOW has a white shadow. However, the Solotype digital font named RUSTIC has no shadow. Similar no-shadow fonts are also available as Pinewood (by Rick Mueller and one by Dieter Steffmann) and as Woody (by DincType). As of October, 2011, no digitized version of Rustic Whiteshadow is known. Character has produced a font named RusticBlackShadow, which matches the font named Rustic in the Solotype Catalog. Dick Pape had created an earlier version named "Pepin Press Caps FA204", based on fonts contained in the Pepin Press book "Fancy Alphabets". ), THINROPE (2002), VALENTINEHEARTS (2002), Printed Circuit (2005), SportsABC (2005), Feathered Flight (2005), Joe Clement (2007, Western pixel face), Ribbon Shadow (2007).
- Fonts based on scans from Awesome Alphabets (Mike Artell, 1999, Good Year): SketchBoards, SketchBones, SketchClothes, SketchLogs (2005), SketchPencils, SketchPipes, SketchTools, all done in 2005.
- Athletic lettering: Collegiate Heavy Outline (2006), Real Madrid 2011-2012 (2011, an expansion of a font by "Adriano"), The Football League (2011), Adidas Euro 2008 (2011), Puma World Cup 2010 (2010: based on Crepello, a custom-made font by Paul Barnes for Puma, that was used on the jersey of Italy, Switzerland and Uruguay during the 2010 FIFA World Cup), Adidas Unity (2010), LINKEB+Regular (2008) uses the lettering of the Geaux font used by LSU.
- Pixel or dot matrix style fonts: Dash It All (2007, based on Cooper Black), Even Hearted (2007, an improvement of CK More Hearts), Square 9x9 (2007).
- Brush faces: Skippingbrush (2006), GraffitiPaintBrush (2008).
- Dingbats: Being Sport Pictograms (2008).
- Scanbats: PilobusSilhouettes (2010) is based upon a human alphabet photographed by John Kane.
- Techno: BultacoDual (2010), Dr Who 42 (2007), London MMXII (2008), ArrowheadLake (2009, +Shadows, +Sunlit; based on the nearly blackletter face Arrowhead from the Solotype Catalog and alphabet books).
- Historic faces: Driftwood 67 (2011, Driftwood on page 67 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), ArrowheadLake and ArrowheadLakeShadows (2011, based on Solotype Catalog p.74), Cutin (2011, a simple rounded monoline sans called Cut-in Medium on page 163 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces),Cutin (2011, a simple rounded monoline sans called Cut-in Medium on page 163 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), Pepin FA288 (2011, based on Matra, or Bifur, on page 54 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces by Dan X. Solo), Varicka (2010, from "Decorative Condensed Alphabets", by Dan Solo, p. 94. It is similar to Red Rooster's Triple Gothic Condensed, but the Solo's font has different features), MaxfieldParrish140 (2007: From an incomplete (no "N") hand-drawn alphabet by Maxfield Parrish. See figure 140 of "Letters&Lettering" by Frank C. Brown, 1921. This is a different source than the P22 Parrish font family.), Ronde Antique (2009, based on page 110 of the Verlag Gerlach 1881 catalog).
- Other: Scramble Mixed (2006, scrabble face), Happy Fourth, Emperor AN (2009: this semi-art nouveau face is Emperor on page 42 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces---not the same as Dan Solo's Emperor at MyFonts), Wood Gothic Caps (2011, blackletter), WoodWud (2011), Gallia Two (2010, based on a font found on page 55 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces as Gallia No. 2), Charleston (2010, based on page 46 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), Azteca Regular (2010: based on Azteca Condensed by Dan X. Solo, page 74 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), Othello Fill and Solid (2011, derived from Othello on page 155 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), Sharons Shadows (2010, +Bold), Masked Menace (2012, based on Bodoni Poster).
Fontspace link. Dafont link. Yet another URL. Fontspace link. And another one. See also at abfonts. Dafont link. [Google]
Charles R. Anderson
[Chank Fonts -- Chankstore]
Charlie S. Romeo
Belgian (?) designer of the free face Lame Bee (2010) and the free face Wild Cat Stencil (2011), a typeface based on a custom font for Puma lettering.
Real Dozy Tracy (2012) is a free look-alike of the Real Madrid 2012-2013 season font. [Google]
FontStructor who made a dotted/shaded athletic letting font called Team Spirit (2010). [Google]
[Roger S. Nelsson]
Started in 2008, this web place by Norwegian entrepreneur Roger S. Nelsson (based in Honningsvåg, Norway) sells fonts by Ray Larabie, Brian Kent, Nick Curtis, Derek Vogelpohl and Kevin King that were originally freeware fonts. Nelsson reworked them (more glyphs, more multilingual) and asks about 10 dollars per font now. He says his fonts now cover these Latin languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Basque, Belarusian (Lacinka), Bosnian, Breton, Catalan, Chamorro, Chichewa, Cornish, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Faroese, Filipino (Tagalog), Finnish, French, Frisian, Galican, German, Greenlandic, Guarani, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish (Gaelic), Italian, Kashubian, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgian, Malagasy, Maltese, Maori, Northern Sotho, Norwegian, Occitan, Polish, Portuguese, Rhaeto-Romance, Romanian, Saami (Inari), Saami (Lule), Saami (North), Saami (South), Scots (Gaelic), Serbian (latin), Slovak(ian), Slovene, Sorbian (Lower), Sorbian (Upper), Spanish, Swedish, Tswana, Turkish, Turkmen, Ulithian, Walloon, Welsh, Yapese.
Designer at FontStruct in 2008 of cowboy_hippie and Syndrome X (DNA-look face inspired by Syndrome BRK by Brian Kent). Nelsson's fonts are Classic Trash BRK Pro, Dynamic BRK Pro, Galapogos BRK Pro, Genotype BRK Pro, King Cool KC Pro (kid's hand; done with Kimberly Geswein), Lamebrain BRK Pro, Matrise Pro and Matrise Text Pro (dot matrix), Phorfeit BRK Pro, Syndrome BRK Pro, Technique BRK Pro, Vigilance BRK Pro, Grapple BRK Pro. The "BRK" refers to Brian Kent, the original free font designer.
In 2009, he added a number of fonts that were done by Nick Curtis some years before that (hence the "NF"): Boogie Nights NF Pro (art deco face), Copasetic NF Pro, Coventry Garden NF Pro, Pro, Fontleroy NF Pro, Hamburger Heaven NF Pro, Monterey Popsicle NF Pro, and Wooden Nickel NF Pro. Trypewriter Pro (2009) is based on Kevin King's Trypewriter. Helldorado Pro (2009) is a Tuscan wood type style face based on a font by Levente Halmos.
Designer of Isbit Pro (2012, a magnificent melting ice cube-shaped superlliptical typeface family), Familiar Pro (2011, designed with the same metric as Helvetica but "better than Arial"), Bloco Pro (2010, fat counterless face), Trump Town Pro (2009, athletic lettering slab serif), Geometric Soft Pro (2009), Geometry Script Pro (2010, upright connected script), DIN Fun Pro (2011), Infantometric Pro (2012), Foobar Pro (2012) and Cheap Pro Fonts Serif (2009).
Typefaces from 2013: Adultometric Pro (narrow monoline sans).
Dafont. Fontspace link. Fontsquirrel link.
Catalog of Nelsson's bestselling typefaces. [Google]
Graphic designer and web developer in Chicago, who moved there from Austin, TX.
Creator of Cannibal (2012, scartchy hand), Die Already (grungy caps), The Dead Saloon (2012, Western caps face), the scratchy scary typeface Dead Bitch (2012), the athletic lettering face No Honor Roll (2012), the grungy Redux (2012), Konquer (2012), Sandy Ravage (2012), and Digital Anarchy (2012), the blood drip typefaces Spiked (2012) and XSpiked (2012), and the brushed typeface GwizsK (2012).
In 2013, he designed The Five One Two (graffiti font), Skidmarked (graffiti font), There Be Monsters, Digital Disorder (a textured typeface), We Are Depraved, The Dead Are Coming (grunge), Barbaric, Welcome To Texas (graffiti font), Chopper City (a spurred constructivist typeface), Maya Rose (a script face), Chaos and Pain (a tattoo font), Abandon (grungy poster face), Virtual Bliss, and Pale Horse (a dagger font), Malevolentz (grungy caps), Shrapnel (grungy caps).
Home page. Personal home page for Designs By Chris.
Dafont link. [Google]
Copenhagen based designer of Octin College Free (2012, octagonal and stencil family), which is based on Ray Larabie's athletic lettering typeface Octin College. Behance link. [Google]
Designers of SUPER_CHARGERS (2004), the font used by the San Diego Super Chargers. [Google]
Designer in Long Beach, CA.
In 2012, Christopher created CM You Got Me wet, CM Fresh Paint, CM Big Fat Paintbrush, CM Garaflora (floriated Garamond caps), CM Chipped Paint (ornamental caps), CM Sans Serif 2012 (+Aged), CM Jungle Adventure (textured typeface), CM Hot Nurse (chalky font), CM Bank Tower College (an athletic lettering font), CM Western Woodblock (+No. 2), CM Mummy Tape, CM Party Headline (textured caps), CM Shark Week, CM Tropical Script, CM Old Western, CM Cold Request CM Moving Forward (techno face), CM Old Firehouse (grungy), CM Grunge Party.
In 2011, he designed CM Tattoo Dragon, CM Bloat, CM Handwriting One (brush face) and CM Old Halftone. [Google]
FontStructor who made the athletic lettering typeface Meathead (2013). [Google]
Quebec-based typographer and type designer (aka Diogene) who specializes mainly in revivals of obscure or old typefaces.
Dafont link. Yet another URL. Abfonts carries many of his fonts. Fontspace link.
- Salamandre (2012). A tall 19-th century style slab face based on Iguana, a design of Sally-Ann Grover.
- Aerolite C Pone (2013). A calligraphic connected copperplate script.
- Angelica CP (2011)
- Banner Star (2012). An American flag-themed display typeface.
- Barrio CP (2011). An inline face.
- BeansCP (2010, after a font found on page 10 of Art Deco Display Alphabets: 100 Complete Fonts by Dan X. Solo).
- Bienetresocial (2003), BienetresocialBold (2003).
- Bizarre and Bizarrerie (2010; based on Edwards and Inland, both designed in 1895 by Nicholas J. Werner at the Inland Type Foundry; renamed in 1925 by BBS)
- Bloque Demo (2011). Experimental.
- Bold (2008)
- Carre (2009, athletic numerals).
- Caslon CP (2012, based on Caslon 223 Bold).
- Champignon (1999-2009, a formal calligraphic script)
- Chartrand (2010, Victorian)
- Chomage (2009)
- Chopin Script (1999-2010, calligraphic; after Polonaise by Phil Martin)
- Constanze Initials (2010). After Constanze Initials by Joachim Romann (1956).
- Crayonnette (2000)
- DeClaude (2010, patterned and named after DeVinne)
- Derniere (1999)
- Dojo CP (2011)
- Dynamic CP (2010, based on page 48 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces as Dynamic Deco)
- Ebony (2011). Based on a Marder&Luse design from 1890. Ebony is on page 38 of 100 Ornamental Alphabets by Dan X. Solo and also on page 43 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces.
- Embrionic 85 (sic) (2012, +Swash Caps) and Embrionic 55 Swash (2012): an ink trap sans display family.
- Essai (2003)
- Euclid CP (2011): based on an 1880 face at Central Type Foundry.
- Fancy Text (2004, blackletter)
- Fantaisie1 (1999)
- Gourmandise (2013), an exquisite Normandian-style didone display typeface.
- Haricot (2010, a fat modular face based on Beans in the Dan Solo catalog)
- Humeur (2001-2002, funny smilies)
- IEC5000 (2011). A symbol font with electrical and other icons.
- Initiales Medium (2011)
- JohnHancockCP-Medium (2010, bold didone)
- Landi Echo (2011). A remake of Landi Echo by Alessandro Butti (1939-1943).
- La Tribune (2011). A newspaper type.
- Le Golf or Le Trou (2010, art nouveau face by Antoine Szczebanski, digitized by Claude Pelletier; also on page 71 of the Solotype catalog)
- Les Etoiles (2013): an inline typeface
- Lionel P (2010, a multiline face inspired by Letraset's 1973 face Stripes)
- Malvern (1999)
- Manquis CP (2012). A roman typeface.
- Maratre (2013). A delicious connected copperplate calligraphic script.
- Monterey Wide (2011). A Tuscan ornamental face, based on a showing on page 22 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces.
- Motscroises (1997)
- Niaisage (2012). A lachrymal caps only typeface.
- Oxford CP (2010, a multiline face, based on the 1960s face by Christine Lord)
- Pasdecourbe (2003)
- Pasdenom (2001, no punctuation)
- Pepinot (2012), an art nouveau face based on Coral Inline on page 190 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces.
- Pistilli Roman (2011, after the original by Pistilli)
- Postface (2012). A bold signage script face.
- Rita Smith (2012). After Primavera by Rita Major.
- Rogers, Rogers2 (1997). He says that it is not his font---that he just rearranged the glyphs. According to Claude, can be found in the book Treasury of Authentic Art Nouveau Alphabets, ed. Petzendorfer, Plate 23. It was made in 1902 by A.V. Haight for Inland Typefoundry.
- Simplement (2011) is Cut-in Medium on page 163 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces.
- Stylie Stymus (2012).
- TriangleETcircleShadow, TriangleETcircleShadowed (2010, 3d iron work style face)
- UptightC (2010, multiline face).
- YagiUHFNo2 (2012).
The founder of and only designer at at Club 21 is Julian Morey, a graphic designer and font creator from London who designed Pacific (1999, an octic typeface influenced by American naval lettering), VMR (1999), SignPlate (a stencil font), Sigma OT (2008, a sans based on a Stephenson Blake grotesque), Skye (2001, a stencil font), Skye Outline [note: Skye used to be called Axis], Checkout, Alpine (2000), Brassplate, Greenwich (2001, a stencil font with fine breaks; used to be called Bronxville), Codex, Electro, Ionia, Jakarta (2000, an octagonal sports/stencil font; was called Jersey), Kathode, Octago (an octagonal stencil face), Liquid, Simpson Typewriter, Preset, Roadworks (1992, stencil font), Thompson Monospaced, Spacer (1999), Paintworks, Portfolio. FontWorks used to sell their fonts, but now Faces does. [Google]
British type designer and art director, born in 1940 (MyFonts.com says 1945, Warwickshire), who was type director at Letraset for some time. In 1995 Brignall moved to ITC. With the closure of ITC's New York office in November 1999, Brignall was re-appointed Type Director for Esselte Letraset. The latest major project in which Brignall was involved was the ITC Johnston series launched in 1999. He received the Type Directors Club Medal at TDC2 in 2001. The Letraset and ITC collections are now owned (via Linotype) by Monotype.
Bio. Bio at Linotype. His fonts include
- Aachen Bold (1969), Aachen Medium (1977, with Alan Meeks). The Scangraphic version is Aachen SH. In 2012, Jim Wasco (Monotype) extended Aachen to 18 fonts including an italic, called Neue Aachen.
- Revue (1969), an unsuccessful display face.
- Countdown (1965, LED simulation face), cyrillicized in 1993 by A. Kustov at TypeMarket.
- Superstar (1970, an athletic lettering face now owned by ITC and sold by MyFonts).
- Italia (1974; see Istria on the SoftMaker MegaFont XXL CD, 2002), Italia Book (1977).
- Premier Lightline (1969), an elegant art deco hairline face.
- Premier Shaded (1970), caps only shaded art deco face.
- Romic Light (1979-1980). See R790 Roman on Softmaker's XXL CD (2002).
- Corinthian (1981).
- Epokha (1992), a 1910 poster style slab serif.
- Edwardian (1983). The digital version is at Elsner&Flake, for example.
- Harlow (1977-1979), a fifties style display script. The Scangraphic versions are Harlow SB and Harlow SH.
- Octopuss (1970), similar to Harlow.
- Tango (1974) [a freefont inspired by Tango can be found in Julius B. Thyssen's Kylie 1996-J], yet another face in the spirit of Harlow.
- Jenson Old Style (1982, with Freda Sack), a Venetian face.
- Victorian (1976, with Freda Sack).
- Type Embellishments One, Two and Three (1994): handsome ornaments developed in the Letraset Type Studio by Michael Gills and Colin Brignall to complement the Fontek Typeface Library.
- Retro Bold (1992, a slab serif done with Andrew Smith).
- ITC Werkstatt (1999, ITC: a hookish Preissig-style face developed with Satwinder Sehmi).
FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Dan M. Zadorozny
Designer from Richmond, VA (aka fontcollector) on whom I bestow the title King of octagonal typefaces. Dafont link.
- He used FontStruct in 2008 to create the ultra fat octagonal faces ShortFatStrangerMono and TallDarkStrangerMono after his Bank Gothic-themed series called EZMonoA through EZMonoG. Other creations: MaxiFiveMono, MaxiFiveTallMono, MaxiFiveTooTallMono, CurvedFiveMono, SkinnyMinnieMono (think skinny and octagonal), KaleidoscopeMono (dingbats), NervosaMono (thin, angular and jittery). CourieresqueMono, HeavyMono, SuperHeavyMono, SkinnierMinnierMono, SkinniestMinniestMono, DiamondsMono, LucDevroyeMono1 and LucDevroyeMono1 (based on my own Yonkaku fonts), PortraitMono (each character on an easel), PortraitText Mono, RollingStockInverseMono (characters on wheels), OctagonoMonoA, OctagonoMonoB, AmazonoMono (a macho octagonal face), BlackboardTallMono (white on black), ScoreBoardInverseMono, VarionoMono, TeflonoMono, SymmetronoMono (geometric patterns), VerticalSlatsMono, VerticalSlatsTallMono, BlackboardMono, BlackboardTallMono, SteepFifteenStretchMono, SteepFifteenSuperStretchMono, SteepFifteenMono, RockSolidMono, RockSolidStretchMono, RockSolidSuperStretchMono, YugoFiveUltraTallMono, KitchenTilesMono, PrimoMono, OctagonoMonoC (+Tall, +ExtraBold), LotsaDotsMono, OvaltinoMono, OctagonoPropC (+Tall).
- Fonts made in 2009: Bevel's Advocate Mono, Mammoth Mono, NovaMono (+Inverse), OctoMono, PortraitMono, GravitonoMono, PortraitTextSteepMono, XLMono, XLProportional, ScallopiniMonoInverse, BrickbatsMono (dingbats), IconoMono (white on black dings), KaleidoscopeMono, DiamondsMono, ShortFatStrangerMono, QuattroMono (+SC), OvaltinoMono, GargantuaMono, EdgeMono, FacetedSuperFiveStretchMono, MegaloMonoGrande, OctagonoMonoExtraBold (+SuperSteep), MegaloMono, KitchenTilesMono (#1, #2, #3), PrimoMonoTall, StereophoneMono (+Inverse), GrecoRomanoMono (+Ultimo), FacetedFiveMono, YugoFiveMono, TopsyCurvy, DiamondLinkMono, RunningOnEmpty.
- Fonts made in 2010-2011: BAP Solid (sturdy octagonal typeface), XLMonoAlt, XLProportionalAlt, Octagonico (octagonal inline face; +Dark), White Elephant 3 (2011, a 3d shadow face), White Rhino (outlined athletic lettering, Black Rhino), Albino Rhino (2011, black on white), Striped Rhino (2011), Curvilino (ultra-condensed), Rondino (2011, similar), BAPSolid (2011, octagonal).
- Fonts from 2012: BAP Outline, Big Hairline (octagonal hairline caps face).
- Fonts from 2013: Rondino Junior, Legibus Rex Mono (octagonal), Little Black Font (octagonal), Legibus Maximus (octagonal), Bevel's Advocate Proportional (prismatic typeface).
British designer of the free sports font Nike 2002-04 (2012) and of Total 90 (2012). [Google]
Designer (b. 1958) in Ann Arbor, MI, of Illinois Block (2013, athletic lettering), Nebraska (2013, athletic lettering), Castle Rock (2013) and Illini Spike (2013, a spurred athletic lettering font). [Google]
Designer of the octagonal face MTV2C (2005) and the athletic lettering face Allstar4 (2008). [Google]
Japanese foundry with excellent web pages on early 20-th century type design. They created various revival fonts in 2009, all connected in some way to Tom Carnase, including
Additionally, they identified the fonts on many covers and albums from the 1960s and 1970s. Further revivals of photolettering era fonts:
- Bentley (201)=0). This is the same as Avant Garde Gothic.
- Bernhard Neo DF (2010).
- Caslon223 DF (after ITC/LSC Caslon 223 by Tom Carnase). Other Caslons include Caslon Headlione DF (2010) and Caslon Swash DF (2010).
- Didot DF (2008).
- Garamond DF (2010).
- Grouch DF (after ITC Grouch by Tom Carnase and Ronne Bonder)
- Lubalin Graph DF (after ITC Luabalin graph by Herb Lubalin, Ed Benguiat, Joe Sundwall, and Tony DiSpigna)
- Busorama DF (after ITC Busorama by Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase)
- L&C Hairline DF (after L&C Hairline by Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase)
They are working on Permanent Massiv (after a 1962 Ludwig&Mayer font by Karlgeorg Hoefer---comparable to Impact or Compacta in its massiveness and masculinity), Michel, Didoni, Tiffany, Ginger Snap, Patriot, Motter Ombra, Pistilli Roman, Benguiat Caslon, and Via Face Don. [Google]
- Baby Teeth (2009): after the art deco typeface of Milton Glaser, 1968, PhotoLettering.
- CBS Didot (2009): after the original by Freeman Craw, 1970s.
- Indigo (2009): after a font by Albert Hollenstein, 1970s.
- Pacella Collegiate (2009): after Vincent Pacella's face at PhotoLettering.
- Penny Bee (2009): a Peignot lookalike.
- Tiffany Heavy With Swash (2011). A swashy Didot display face. This type was used by Quentin Tarantino's movie Jackie Brown in 1997. Tiffany Heavy (Ed Benguiat, Photolettering) is basically identical to Benguiat Caslon Swash (1960s) and to Foxy Brown (1974). Similar faces include LSC Book with Swash by Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase (ca. 1970).
- Wexford (2009): after the typeface of Richard A. Schlatter, VGC, 1972.
De Paul Dodgeball
Small font archive with Delicious, DIN Engschrift, DIN 1451, NFL Bears (2005, unknown designer), Freshman and Moire. [Google]
Designer in Brooklyn, NY, of Numbers (2013), a beautiful circuit-inspired octagonal set of numbers. She also made the Peignotian fashion mag typeface Victoria (2013).
Behance link. [Google]
British designer of the techno family Crillee (Letraset, 1980-1981) and the athletic lettering font Princetown (Letraset, 1981; Linotype version; the ITC version is here). Princetown is revived as Allstar (Softmaker), Indiana (Corel), Indira (Primafont) and Principal (Softmaker).
Linotype bio. Klingspor link. FontShop link. [Google]
Designer at FontStruct in 2008 of Waffle, Nice Shot (target alphading face), Plumstruct (a beautiful partition face), Roadblock, and Mthr Fckr (stencil, +Alt). In 2009, we find Trouble and Stripe (vertical stripes), Quarterback (athletic lettering face), Fuzz (experimental texture face), Nice Shot (alphadings), Metric, Fourmat, Mongol Metric (squarish), Volume Metric (3d), Volume Metric (+LO, +HI, 3d faces), Archityped (based on Bayer's Architype), Subbed Station, Neo Modul (counterless), Heffer (counterless), Perfd (dot matrix), South Central Swiss, Jaunt, Checkout II, Kurrupttd, Checkout, Container ISO Regular, Perfd Regular (pixelish), Lost Outline Condensed (pixel face), Nice Shot (alphadings), Korruptica (Helvetica grungified), Aurora (+II), Beagle (blackletter), Yoga, Trouble and Stripe, Roadblock. [Google]
Douglas Peters (Sioux Falls, SD) created the free hand-printed typeface Milton Serif Bled (2013). Behance link.
His other free fonts, mostly made with FontStruct, can be downloaded at Font Journal: Struck, Pursuede, base, Broadbill, Uset, Struckshur, Wester Breeze, Kindegraf, State (athletic lettering), Goforit, Get Even, 70sStyle Overlap 3D, Tonder, Base 10, Scurry.
Font Journal is a font archive site run by him. Behance link for his company, Symbiotic Design. [Google]
An orphaned athletic lettering face. [Google]
Eduardo Rodríguez Tunni
Buenos Aires-based graphic designer and prolific type designer who runs Graphic Design Firm. Since 2005, he has been teaching typography together with Marcela Romero and Pablo Cosgaya at the Centro Cultural Ricardo Rojas. Behance link. Klingspor link. Fontspace link. Google Plus link. Interview by MyFonts. His typefaces, haphazardly organized:
- Average (2005, Google Web Fonts). A text face. The sister family is Average Sans (2012, Google Web Fonts). Average won an award at Tipos Latinos 2008 in the extensive family category.
- Linear Book Serif (2003). A humanist font.
- Colona (2004). A serif family.
- Lineare. A six weight sans family. See also LineareA3Versalita (2004). Lineare Serif (Tipo) is characterized by heavy serifs.
- The roundish titling face Titulata (Tipo). See also here. Accompanied by Titulata Italic (2007).
- The classic text family Gilda Roman.
- Alexa. A sans family.
- With Pablo Cosgaya, he designed Loreto (2004). This family was inspired by the types printed in the Manuale ad Usum (1721). The family appeared in 2009 at Tipo.
- He is (was?) working on Average Italic (2006, serif), Astor (2007, sans) and Yeca Serif (2006).
- Think (Tipo). This face won an award at Tipos Latinos 2008 in the non-text category.
- Club Universo (2008, with Mariana Pariani). This face won an award at Tipos Latinos 2010.
- Changa (2009). This rounded black poster face won an award at Tipos Latinos 2010. See also Changa Italic. Google Font Directory link, where one can download Changa One (2011).
- Lassi Display (2009, with Dario Muhafara). This face won an award at Tipos Latinos 2010.
- Merienda One (2011, a brush script). Free at Google Web Fonts.
- This experimental face (2004).
- Mate (2011). A free readable text face at Google Font Directory.
- Arapey (2011, Google Font Directory) is a didone family named after a Uruguayan town.
- Lemon (2011). A free signage face at Google Web Fonts.
- Unlock (2011). A free quadraplegic face at Google Web Fonts.
- Diplomata (2012, +SC) is a free openface typeface publihed at Google Web Fonts).
- Glegoo (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a modern slab serif.
- Imprima (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a very readable humanist sans with large counters and a large x-height.
- Graduate (2012, Google Web Fonts) is an athletic lettering font.
- Belleza (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a humanist sans typeface with moderate to high stroke contrast.
- Orienta (2012) is a free sans face at Google Web Fonts.
- Warnes (2012). A fifties diner connected script that is free at Google Web Fonts.
- Orienta (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a large x-height wide-eyed sans.
- Combo (2012, Google Web Fonts) is an eggheaded headline face.
- Paprika (2012) is an expressive informal typeface. Free at Google Web Fonts.
- Unica (2012) is a unicase sans, also at Google Web Fonts.
- Strait (2012) is a cold sans. Google Web Fonts link.
- Faster (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a retro face that gives the illusion of speed.
- Kite One (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a rounded monoline humanist sans.
- Offside (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a monoline stroke font.
- Joti One (2012, Google Web Fonts. A retro futuristic typeface.
- Croissant (2012, Google Web Font). A non-connected formal upright script.
- Gilda Display (2012, Google Web Fonts) is a serifed face with high stroke contrast.
- Sintony/a> (2013, Google Web Fonts).
- Gabriela (2013, Google Web Fonts).
- Pathway Gothic One (2013).
- Fauna One (2013).
Edward A. Leach
[Zachary Font Page]
Emil Karl Bertell
Roman designer at FontStruct in 2008 of Mango (ultra fat, rounded), Doodeka (dodecahedron-themed letters---sublime!), Culdesac, Candelabra, Legorama, Legorama Everywhere Fill, Legorama Everywhere, Legorama Fill, Magnetor (shadow outline face), Thuring (athletic lettering), Monkey Pizzazz (pixelized monkeys), Escaptionist (pixel face), Dioptical (optical illusions face), allurium, allurium_welded, avinguda (an octagonal face), Avinguda Light, Myopia, Fast Pussycat, Roboro (techno), Monkey Pizzaz (monkey dings), Solari Platform, avinguda_jagged, beamo (monoline sans, a take on Franklin Gothic), beamo_outline, beamo_pixel, conformista_1, hairdo, minimalia, minimalia_noon, minimalia_rounded, sherif_1, yvette ("a fat font with a belly button), Hairdo, Bee Legacy (blackletter glyphs encased in hexagons), Legorama. He also made the beautiful hairline squarish face Les Bains (2008) which is based on the lettering used for the signs in Les Bains des Docks, by French architect Jean Nouvel.
Additions in 2009: Chauncey, Sixto (ultra fat octagonal face made at FontStruct; obese geometry in his own words), Proclama (a cold war font), Lamina.
Fonts from 2010: Bromance (upright connected script), Oliva (open face style), Podio (3d), Thuring (athletic lettering), Budino and Budino Kiri (fat counterless), Escaptionist (pixel), Riba (2010, a ribbon font).
Fonts from 2011: Arancito (upright connected script).
Home page at House 42. Behance link. [Google]
Enrich Design was founded by Richard Hubbard (b. Torrington, Connecticut, 1971), the designer at Bitstream of RichType, Ingrid (handprinted), Ruly, StarsStripesRH (free face), Richfont, Upperclass (1995, an informal family), Lifeguard (2004, athletic lettering), Solfont (handprinted), Cell Block 6 (2002, a gridded face by Jeff Solak), and Rich Dingbats&Bursts.
He started his own on-line design business, Enrich Design, which offers his fonts as well. Richard holds a BFA in Art&Design from Pratt Institute (1993) and does freelance graphic design.
In 2012, he created Anne's Hand for The National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA), a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders. He writes: Anne's Hand is a custom handwriting font of Anne Hubbard, who tragically lost her battle with anorexia nervosa this past January. Anne loved to write, so her brother Richard designed a custom font of her handwriting as a tribute to her memory.
FontShop link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Creator of OM12 (2012), a free font available from abfonts. This font is based on the organic lettering used on the jerseys of Olympique Marseille soccer team during the 2011-2012 season. [Google]
Designer of several sets of athletic lettering fonts, including NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB. Dafont link. His web site has the athletic lettering in truetype format for these teams: MLBAngels, MLBAstros, MLBBlock, MLBBlueJaysModern, MLBBlueJaysVintage, MLBBrewers, MLBCubs, MLBDiamondbacks, MLBGiants, MLBMariners, MLBNationals, MLBNationalsBevel, MLBNationalsReverseBevel, MLBPadres, MLBPhillies, MLBPirates, MLBRedSox, MLBReds2007, MLBTuscan, MLB_Tuscan_New, MLB_Tuscan_New, Mlbdia07, NBA76ers, NBABobcats, NBABucks, NBABulls, NBACavaliers, NBACeltics, NBAClippers, NBAGrizzlies, NBAHawks, NBAHeat, NBAHornets, NBAJazz, NBAKings, NBAKingsAlternate, NBAKnicks, NBALakers, NBAMagic, NBAMavericks, NBAMavericksAlternate, NBANets, NBANuggets, NBAPacers, NBAPistons, NBARaptors, NBARockets, NBASpurs, NBASuns, NBASuperSonics, NBATimberwolves, NBATrailblazers, NBAWarriors, NBAWizards, NFLBears, NFLBearsThrowback, NFLBengals, NFLBroncos, NFLCardinals, NFLChargers2007, NFLDolphins, NFLEagles, NFLFalcons, NFLJaguars, NFLOilersVintage, NFLPatriots, NFLPatriotsThrowback, NFLRams, NFLRavens, NFLRavensVintage, NFLSteelers, NFLTexans, NFLTitans, NFLVarsityBlockA, NFLVarsityBlockB, NFLVarsityBlockC, NFLVarsityBlockD, NFLVarsityBlockE, NFLVarsityBlockF, NFLVarsityBlockG, NFLVarsityBlockH, NFLVikings, NHLANA06, NHLAnaheim, NHLAtlanta, NHLBUF06, NHLBoston, NHLBuffalo, NHLCalgary, NHLCalgaryAlternate, NHLCarolina, NHLChicago, NHLColorado, NHLColumbus, NHLDallas, NHLDetroit, NHLEAna_, NHLEAtl_, NHLEBos_, NHLEBuf_, NHLECal_, NHLECar_, NHLEChi_, NHLEClb_, NHLECol_, NHLEDal_, NHLEDet_, NHLEEdm_, NHLEFlo_, NHLELak_, NHLEMinA, NHLEMinH, NHLEMon_, NHLENJD_, NHLENYI_, NHLENYRO, NHLENYR_, NHLENasO, NHLENas_, NHLEOtt_, NHLEPhi_, NHLEPho_, NHLEPit_, NHLESJ__, NHLEStL_, NHLETBL_, NHLETor_, NHLEVan_, NHLEWas_, NHLEdmonton, NHLEdmontonAlternate, NHLFlorida, NHLLosAngeles, NHLMinnesota, NHLMinnesotaAlternate, NHLMontreal, NHLNYIslandersAlternate, NHLNYRangers, NHLNYRangersOutline, NHLNashville, NHLNewJersey, NHLOttawa, NHLOttawaAlternate, NHLPhiladelphia, NHLPhoenix, NHLPittsburgh, NHLSanJose, NHLStLouis, NHLTampaBay, NHLToronto, NHLTorontoAlternate, NHLVancouver, NHLWashington, Nflcoltt, Nflcowbt, Nhlnyi__, VarsityBlockA, VarsityBlockB, VarsityBlockC, VarsityBlockD, VarsityClassicA, VarsityClassicB, VarsityClassicC, VarsityClassicD, VarsityClassicSerifA, VarsityClassicSerifB. [Google]
FC Barcelona, Real Madrid
FC Barcelona (2009), Premier League (2007), and Real Madrid 2009 (2009) are athletic lettering typefaces made a designer who wishes to remain anonymous. Even though I know the designer, I am classifying these typefaces now as orphaned. [Google]
[Emil Karl Bertell]
Fenotype, a Finnish typefoundry, has the original (often techno) designs of Emil Bertell (b. 1983, Helsinki) and his brother Erik Bertell and wife Kea Bertell. Emil has been studying graphic design at University of Art&Industrial Design in Helsinki since 2004. He designed most of his typefaces during 2001-2004, and works as a freelance illustrator. Behance link.
Typefaces made in 2002: Disco (prismatic), Lakmus, Valimo, FUTU, Test1, Foton Torpedo, Cheaptype, Personal Computer, Copycut, Unicode 0024, HKI Metro, HKI NightLife, Digital Kauno, Fenotravels (dingbats), Tivoli, Kosmonaut, 10124, JouluFonttiFenotype, Testi, 1laitos, 1120, 0629 (2002, a kitchen tile font), 0927, 0210, FTdingsprevi, Fenotypedings#lego3, Genotype, NeoPangaia, NeoPangaia 2, Nipponblocks, Pectopah, Personalcomputer, Pouttu, Samarin (2002, athletic lettering), Unicode0024, URALphat, URALthin, URAL, URAL3d (all Latin/Cyrillic fonts with incomplete punctuation though), Automania (multiline), Copycut, Halo, 222_2003, Tantor, Letters, Rikos, Lastu, ThreeTheHardWay, Bukkake, Halo. Emil's brother Erik designed Neon (paperclip face), Mama and Mama Round (paperclip faces). In private email, he calls himself Carl. The foundry evolved from 2theleft.
Fonts made in 2003: Military Dingbats, 08 02 03 Fenotype, Projectsfenotype, Rock-it.
Fonts made in 2004: Scandinavian Titan white, Scandinavian Titan, Acid Test 2, Acid Test (texture faces), 080203, Letters11, Linja, Projects, Rock it, Simpletype. Commercial typefaces: Sapluuna, Shortcut, Transeuro-Express, Omega-Uros, Fenotype Dings, Military Dingbats, Nippon Noodle. Typefaces made in 2004: Kolari, Kolari Light, FTfaces, Twisted Ontogenesis. Alternate URL.
In 2005: RoundAbout, Nihilist Philosophy, Boogie Monster, Chunky Hunk (Western), Diy Typeface (kitchen tile style), Futuretro (stencil-like), 3TheHardWayOverrun, Pedant Dilettante, FT Rosecube, FT Blockbuster, 3TheHardWayRMX, Adios Gringo (Western face), Helsingfurt (3d oil glow face), Cream Soda (liquid), Thashed Paper Bag, Big Medium.
In 2006: Rock It Deluxe (grunge), Cassette (dingbats), Kings Garden (Japanese trees as dingbats).
MyFonts link, opened in 2009, where one can buy 080203, 3 The Hard Way Overrun, 3 The Hard Way RMX, Adios Gringo, Depth Charge, FT Helsingfurt, FT Roundabout, FT Scandinavian Titan, FT Twisted Ontogenesis, Ice Cream Soda, Kings Garden, Kolari, Nihilist Philosophy, Old Note, Rock It, November Script, and Majestic Mishmash (ransom note caps), Digital Kauno (2002, upright script), 10.12, EB Vintage Future, Fenotype Dingbats, FT Forest, FT Funghis, FT Military Dingbats, FT Weapon of Choice, Motel Xenia, URAL, Valima.
Additions in 2010: Linguine (connected script), FT Telegraph (slab serif), FT Brush, FT Industry Machine, FT Giorgio, Killer Elephant (signage), FT Supervisor (retro), FT Dead Mans Diary (scribbly), FT Grandpa Script (grunge calligraphy), FT Stamper (angular lettering), FT Tantor (fat, rounded), FT Bronson (fat display face with mustache dings thrown in), FT Master of Poster (bi-level display face with many ligatures and interlocking letters), FT Hidden Forest (tree dingbats), FT Mammoth (grotesque headline face), Rikos (futuristic), Squarendon Extra Bold (2010, a Clarendon), FT Moonshine Script (a Treefrog style face), Billboard (a hand-printed rounded caps family), EB Bellissimo Display (rounded monoline sans), Malamondo (an all caps display face with a large number of interlocking ligatures), Linja (2002 and 2010, a rounded ultra condensed family), Punavuori (2002 and 2010: a monoline sans family), Signor (2010, a rounded all caps family), Mrs. Lolita (connected script), Funghi Mania (mushroom dingbats), Funghi Mania Script, Darlington (very open upright connected script family), Archipelago (+Caps: an upright connected script), Tower (pieces that enable one to modularly construct towers when stacked; created as a school assignment at the University of Industrial Art&Design Helsinki in 2006), Monster (just as Tower but for monsters), Verna (informal face with ball terminals), Verner (2010, a connected script version of Verna), Verner (2010, a connected script version of Verna).
Typefaces from 2011: Pepita Script (an upright connected script with small lachrymal terminals), Pepito (its nonconnected version), Barber (upright script family), Banzai Bros (a fat caps-only signage face), Mishka (an upright connected script with tear drop terminals).
In 2012, he created Salamander Script, Taiga (connected upright script), Mercury Script (a set of upright connected script typefaces), Slim Tony (a bubblegum retro signage face) and Mercury Ornaments.
Typefaces from 2013: No. Seven (brushy signage or baseball script), Alek and Alek Ornaments (an upright signage script), Voyage (a vintage script), Barracuda Script (brushy signage face), Bonbon (signage script), Bonbon Ornaments, Scaramouche (a playful connected script).
Dafont link. Behance link. MyFonts interview.
View the Fenotype typeface library.
View Emil Bertell's typefaces. [Google]
Kyle Johnston (Flow14) is the Overland Park, KS-based designer of the graffiti font Milk (2002), Bodolive (2003, a mix of Bodoni and Antique Olive), Sporty (college lettering font, free in the Rumpus sub-page), Meteors (free download, click on Rumpus), Midwest (click on Work, then Type; based on Senator Ultra, on commission for Midwest Graphics), and Jellyphant Round (free on the Rumpus page). [Google]
"Free fonts for free people" by Dieter Schumacher. Interesting designs: Darkskin (textured letters), Movieboard, Zacken (in sacks), Storm, Stripesstars, and Triangle. All fonts are in TrueType and PostScript formats for Windows. List of 84 fonts thus far: 309Italic, 309, AnasthesiaItalic, Anasthesia, AtoZ, BALLbold, Baumarkt, BaumarktBoldItalic, BaumarktBold, BaumarktItalic, BIGARIALUltraBold, BIGARIALLEFT, BizarreBlack, Bizarre, Brialpointed, Bulgari, Certified, CertifiedItalic, CIRCLINEcrazyjumpedBold, CIRCLINEHeavy, CIRCLINEItalic, CIRCLINE2Light, CIRCLINE, Coffeebeans, Competent, Danceclub, DarSkin, Datacut, DatacutItalic, DomoAregatoItalic (oriental simulation), DomoAregatoNormal, Energy Dimension (3d face), Eniltuo, FatmarkerItalic, Fatmarker, FontmakersChoiceItalic, FontmakersChoiceThinItalic, FontmakersChoice (octagonal), FontmakerSlash, Fracksausen, Gawain, HOLE, HOLE2cursive, HOLE3cursiveoutline, HOUSEPIPESItalic, HOUSEPIPESNormal, KingArthurSpecialNormal, LateNite, LoveParade, LoveParadeoutlineBold, LoveParadeitalian, LoveParadewidebold, Mage1999 (pixel), Magehunter, Mage, Mayday, MaydayItalic, MovieTimes, Movieboard, OneworldonefutureExtraBold, OneworldonefutureLight, OpenMindItalic, OpenMind, Palms, Parts, Perlenkette, Rave, Serifonwide, SerifonwideItalic, SerifonNormal, Shreddedforyou, SquareUniqueExtraBold, SquareUniqueNormal, SquareUniqueThin, Starbats, StormExtraBold, STRIPESSTARSNormal, TriangleNormal, University (athletic lettering), Whereistherest, WhereistherestItalic, WoodCut, WoodCutItalic, ZackenNormal, ZoltanKiss, Dornen, FM College (athletic lettering), Beach House Stars, Fontovision, 37 Kilobyte, Grave Digger, Nails and remake Of Fabulous, Milkdrops, Platsch (comic book) and Slimania. This site disappeared and was revived by CybaPee at Moorstation.
Links: Jami, FontNThings, Fontspace. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link.
Font Studio Four
Paul Bokslag is a Kilkenny, Ireland-based type designer.
FontStructor (aka Four, or Font Studio Four) who made the dot matrix face Numbat (2012), the athletic lettering faces Atletica (2011) and Atletica Serif (2011), and the texture face Milky Way (2011).
In 2011, he created Things That Go (car silhouette dingbat face).
Faces from 2012: Crazy Fredericka (poster stencil face), Twisty, Remix Chinese Whispers, Toastbread (wavy, 3d) and Plywood (3d), Field Day (blackboard bold), Transfer Window (bilined), Walk in the woods (dot matrix face), Rock Paper Scissors (bilined), One Way Ticket (bilined), White Knight (outlined blackletter), Black Knight (blackletter), Shelf Life (stylish), Oystercatcher, Broken Promises (multiline typeface), Tarmac, Hibernation (German expressionist face), Glendalough (nibbed face), Tartan Permutations (multiline face), Return Flight, Orbital Flight, Quatermaster, Featherstone, Gorilla Republic, Granny's Bear Hunt (stencil), Detour Ahead (multiline face), Shanghai Express (angular), Cassiopeia, Camelopardalis.
Creations in 2013: Polkastruct, Bridger, Six Quinces, Dompteuse, Scandalous, Lane Seven, Singel (cross stitching font), Shadowbox, Hide And Seek, Playroom, Realta 1, Glimpse, Sinistra, Crash Test Dummy, Flightpath, Close Shave, Popover, Switchboard (electrical circuit font), Black and Amber, Wavelength (prismatic), Sightline (multilined), Structurosa Outline, Sparky, Trasna (stencil), Hold Your Horses (Western), Lupo (a winner in the FontStruct Connected Script competition), Skate Park (multiline face), Circumscript, Blinker, Bobs Your Uncle, Snowcat (inline face), Cottage Industry (house silhouettes), Causeway, Springville, Longitude, Pebble Dash, Tulipano, Hitchhiker, Stretcher, Whalewatcher, Solituda, Carbonium, Railway Sleeper (shadowed face), Bricklayer Sans, Candyfloss, Milvi, Bluebell Carpet, Pinball Dingo, Spinfish (blackboard bold), Pelicano (piano key typeface), Metropolaris.
Dafont link. Behance link. FontStruct link. [Google]
Original fonts by Ben Balvanz from Cedar Rapids, Iowa (b. Cedar Rapids, 1975), who now lives in South California. His original Fontalicious domain ceased in 2005 but was repurchased in 2007 with the help of Font Bros. Some fonts can be downloaded here and here. The list: Coney Island (2002), Cheeseburger (2002), Tabletron (2002, LCD font), Senor Pooglins, Plush (2001), Slide, Discotech, Galaxy, Pacfont, Rusty, PinniePoker, Geeves (tall letters--great), Moonpie Cadet, Fidelle, FontTwelve, Mister Easy, Mister Dope, Frosty, Chankenstein, Discotech, VintageVacation, Dazzler, Joinks!, Cyberwhiz, Swinkydad, Sonic Superpowers, Mikey Jax, Klink-o-mite, Caveman, Gloo Gun, Skylab 600, Cyberpop, Cyberjimmy, Smartie Capos, Jenkins, Earwax, Pimpbot 5000, Dreamy, Quinkie, Milkfresh, DateRape (great), SpaceAce, GirlieLeslie, Groovalicious Tweak, Porky's, International Chunkfunk, SuperTrooper, Chachie, Zodiastic, Great Head (dingbats), Chick (sassy!), the Eight Track family, Speedfreek, the Odyssey family, AlphaStep, Alpha Clown, dopenakedfoul, Lounge Bait, SpaceBeach, Jubie, Bean Town, Funkotronic, UndieCrust, and Poppycock, Pornhut, Robokid, Kinkie (Valentine's Day font), BorderMon (dingbat), Technicolor, Tennis (stencil), Moloky, JabbieJunior, Rave Queen, Alpha Niner, Croobie, Wednesday, Populuxe, the nice BoozeBats, Geekbats, Garage Sale, Arcade, Glamocon Retrobats, Fontalicious Thingbats, Good Head, Baby Kruffy, Kruffy, Fine-O-Mite, Disco Inferno, Jokewood, Toggle, Swinger, SurfSafari, OmegaMax, Pogo, Elvis, Trendy University (stencil), Hoedown, Fat, Atomic, Rocket, 12 Good, Moonpie Cadet Good, Dynomite, Superstar DJ (dingbat), Kravitz, Kravitz Thermal, hungrumlaut, Sporto, Sabadoo, Snappy, Chickabiddies (geek dingbats), Mandingo (1999, buncy hand-printed style), Heartbreaker, Smilage, 52 Pickup, Return of the Retrobats (wow!), Wunderland, Omega, Great Head, Air, Blackjack, BlackjackRollin, Borneo, CharlesAtlas, Cheri, CheriLiney (2001, Valentine's Day theme), DeejaySupreme, DigitCube, DigitLoFiShift, DigitLoFi, Digit, DimitriSwank, Dimitri, DiscoInferno, DunebugAlternates45MPH, DunebugAlternates, Dunebug, Dunebug45MPH, Freestyle, Garanimals, Gas, GleeClub, Jenkinsv20, Jenkinsv20Thik, JenkinsKeepinitReal (1998), KravitzExtraThermal, Moderna, MoogSchmoog, Moog, PussycatSassy, PussycatSnickers, Queer, Redensek, Sanka, Schmotto, SchmottoPlotto, Squarodynamic01 through 10 (pixel fonts), Stretch, SupervixenHoneyedOut, Digit, Digit Cube, Supervixen, TheKids (1999), TrendyUniversity, UltraSupervixenHoneyedOut, UltraSupervixen, WeLoveCorey, Manchester (great), Weltron (stencil font), Weltron Power, Mullet, Rolloglide, Planet, Gravity, Alba, BilloDream (2001), Stretch, Pasteris (based on the handwriting of Matthew Pasteris), PornStarAcademy (sports shirt lettering), Mullet, SuperStars (stars), Krupke (2002), Fresh Bionik, Stoney Billy (2001, not free), Hustle (2001, not free), Rustler (2001, Western font, not free).
At T-26: Marshmallow (2001, rounded monoline geometric face), Superfly (2002, a Western font), Thursdoo (2002), Pacfont Good (2002), Thug (2002), Dokyo (2002, a free competitor of Futura Extra Black and Folio Extra Bold), Supreme (2002), Fresh (2002, at Chank's place), Juice (2002), Pinball (2002, not free), RunTron1983 (2002), Pixel Pirate (2002), Odysseus (2002).
Rascal Miniatures, Wonderkid, Smilage Regular, Milk with Peanut Butter and Barnaby Candy machine are 2009 comic book style creations.
Other 2009 fonts include Gringo Enchilada, Brute Strength, Blonk and Sparkle, Cheri Liney, Metroflex, Weltron (techno family), Sanka, Rolloglide (multiline), Pussycat, Poppycock, Pasteris, Moog Schmoog, Moog Synthesizer, Magnum, Krupke, Joinks, Jabbie, Hustle, Hungrumlat, Gravity, Fresh, FineOMite, Dunebug 45mph, Coney Island, Blackjack, Atomic, Air Regular, Shatner, Pixel Pirate, Munkeyshine, Thursdoo, Swinkydad, Surf Safari, Supreme, Stoney Billy, Speed Freaks, Bike Riding Chopper (Tuscan), Popcorn Loaded (ultra fat), Malibu Oceanside, Snafurter (Sinaloa?), Der Weiner Stentzel (stencil), Wordworth Byte, Blingo Diamond and Tiger Roams Jungle (art deco chic).
Interview. Alternate URL. Dafont link. Yet another URL. And another one. Many fonts sold since 2007 by Font Bros (see here for the announcement). URL from 2005-2007. [Google]
Fontazilla (was: Psychographers)
Fontazilla (was: Psychographers) is a Japanese foundry that offers free and commercial comic book fonts made by Kou Nakamura.
Free fonts: Bradlies (2006, athletic lettering), Garbage (2002), GIANtX (2001, octagonal athletic letters), GORG (2001, comic book face), KICKS (2001, comic book style), Losers (2007, comic book style), Monomen (2007), QUICKONE (2004), Saucerama (2004), Sparkle (2007), Wheels (2007).
Commercial fonts: Saucerama2 (2004, athletic lettering), Laserboy, Birdish (2002, FRONTLINE01), A-Bop (Frontline 02). [Google]
Fontscafe (was: Fonts-Lab)
Fonts Lab was an Italianfree font foundry with emphasis on "free", even for commercial use. The first fonts, all made in 2011, included Fonts-lab Gift, Fonts Lab Symphony, Free For Fonts-Lab Subscribers, Lady Jane Old, Five Dollars Matter, Writing Something by Hand, Hint Retro, Hint Retro Grunge, Soul Handwriting (brushy script), Variety, Universal College Draft (2011, a sketched sports jersey alphabet), Handwriting Draft (sketch face), Around 20 (experimental), Adelfy, Old Printing Press (grunge), Frank Handwriting, Sketch Me, Retro Lined Area.
Fonts Lab became Fontscafe, located in Milan.
Production in 2012: Making Lettering Tall, Universal College (grungy athletic letters), Marmellata Jam (connected script), Marmellata Jar 01 and 02 (connected fat signage scripts), Henry Rodeo Circus (Western face), Scrappy-Looking, Contribute Free Version (connected fountain pen script), Basically Serif, I'm Fashionista, Sign Handwriting, Chalk Hand Lettering, Chalk Hand Lettering Shaded, Voluptate (retro connected script), Retroactive (a great connected script face).
Around June 2012, something happened---possibly a complaint from the FontLab software people---, and the name changed from Fonts Lab to Fontscafe. In the same year, a commercial foundry was started via MyFonts.
Typefaces from 2013: Free Sketching, Hand Printing Press [in ten styles such as Meshed, Scraped, Normal, Stencil, Stamps, and Eroded], Egregio Script (retro script), Hand Shop Typography A20 (an 8-style poster font set that includes shadow and inline faces), Hand Shop Typography C30, and many more in the Hand Shop Typography pack, including the frame font Hand Shop Elements.
Fontspace link. Dafont link. Abstractfonts link. Behance link. [Google]
Los Angeles-based company that distributed a 5000+ library of two-inch film fonts for display faces, some of which were original, such as Yagi Double (the CNN logo font) and Yagi Link Double. It ceased operations in 1985. Trogman maintains a design studio in Palm Springs, California. Blippo (1970) and Handel Gothic (by Robert Trogman) are in that collection. And so is Buxom, a beveled 3-d athletic lettering typeface sold, e.g., by Elsner&Flake as Buxom SB (Scangraphic).
Yagi Link Double was revived by Alex Haigh as Miyagi (2008, Thinkdust). Yagi Bold and Yagi Double were revived in 2010 by Gus Thessalos as Retro Mono Wide and Retro Stereo Wide, rewspectively. Gus revived Yagi Link Double as Retro Stereo Thin.
FotoStar is a small web page made by yours truly that showcases some typefaces in the FotoStar collection taken from their catalog, Film Font Digest FotoStar Graphic Supply.
Images of some of his fonts. [Google]
Creator of the free athletic lettering / octagonal face USN Stencil (2009). [Google]
Creator of typefaces at VGC, such as Ivy League (1975, +Open), an athletic lettering typeface. [Google]
Cartoonist from Recife, Brazil, b. 1966, whose sense of humor and artsistic prowess shine in his dingbat fonts. Dafont link. Fontsy link.
Creator of the experimental Almost Sanskrit (2009), Zodiac Nice (2009, astrological symbols), Xilo in Zodiac (2009), Xilo-Cordel-Literature (2009, dingbats), Cordel Circo Mambembe (2010), Inside Issue (2009), Stretched Signature Flex (2009), Action of the time (2009, grunge), the dingbat face Ugly Cars (2010), the grunge face Capitão Galdino (2008), the grunge face Saltpeter-N-Fungus (2010), Texture Road (2010, more grunge), BSB DF 50 (2010, grunge), Fine Serif (2009), and the nice dingbat face Ochent Silibrina (2008).
Fonts made in 2010: Sport 4 Ever (dingbats for Olympic Games), 60sPop (multiline face), DotSpot (dot matrix), IRON H METAL (tattoo, gothic), IngaStoneSigns (stone age glyphs), Ode2PasteUp (handprinted), WideSquare (pixelish), ActionoftheTimeNewUL, BSBDF50, Haus-Sweet-Haus, INSIGHT-ISSUE-NEW, Movie Filmstrip, SquareChalk, Action Of The Time New (grunge), CordelValentine (dingbats), IngaStoneSigns (petroglyphs), SustainableAmazon, VeryDamaged (grunge), ParkTechCG (letters as in wired circuits), kidSWritten, Iron H MetallLight, LaceNice (knitted look), Ode2PasteUp, TextureRoad (grunge).
Fonts from 2011: Booklet Cordel (sketched), Cordel Encarnado, Nuclear Accident (texture face), Noncircular (techno), Old Press (grunge), Old Typography (grunge).
Fonts made in 2012: New Press (condensed sans family, +Eroded), Sketch Wall, Comic Gibi, Own Written, Comica BD (comic book shadow font), Cartoon Relief (a 3d cartoon typeface), Riscada Doodle (scratchy hand), Sketch Nice, Needlework Good (a stitching font), Biscuit Made, Just Skinny, Crazy Style, After Cheret (hand-drawn 3d shadowed outline face), Spots in the mirror, TNT Xplosion, Escrita Toska (curly script), Cordel Movies (moviemaking dingbats), Fine N Tall, Cordel Groteska, From Street Art (free graffiti font), Sketch College (sketched athletic shirt font), Thin Press (grungy vernacular type), Sketch Serif, Relief BD, Maxxi Serif (very heavily slabbed serif face), Semi Cursive Gut, Sketch Coursive (sketch face), Salt Pet Non Eroded, Advanced Architecture, Very Fine Serif (a monoline Egyptian), Sketch Nothing, Freehand Nothing, Shark Attack (curly), Do Doodle, Maybe Pollock (dust texture face), Xilo Prosa (grunge), Thin Design, Amazon Palafita (hand-drawn 3d outline face), Snow Times, Snow Traces, USSR Army (rough army stencil with a Russian feel), Needlework US (stitch font), Old Scribe (Greek lapidary face), Nickel Bumpy, Soviet Style (stencil face), Top Modern (heavy slab serif), Lettering Set New, Carton East, Not Tuned TV (sketch font), Scar Bleed (scary font), Maxxi Dots (texture face, +Shadows), Dots Land Gotika (grungy blackletter), Stefanie Dots (textured letters), Karamuruh (textured caps), Broken Type (grunge: a glaz krak font), Touppeka (a Kafkaesque, tribal or painter's font), Old Dreams (grungy), Bad King (sketched typeface), False 3D (hand-printed 3d outline typeface), True2D, I Wrote All, Resistance Until The End.
Typefaces from 2013: Serifa Comica (comic book slab), Press Style Serif (letterpress style), Press Style Large, Triatlhon In (sic: a Greek simulation face), Go 2 Old Western (grungy wood type), Old Serif Gut, Press Style (letterpress style typeface), Dust Serif, Thing Press, Thin Grotesk Serif, Before Collapse (glaz krak face), Stencil Style New (a military stencil), Damaged Serif, Press Serif Cool, Press Feeling, Sketch Toska, Link Parties, Almost Cartoon (2013), Cartoon Toy (2013), Toy Toy Toon (2013), Fine Style (2013, didone caps), Fine Sans (2013, Peignotian), Beyond Blackboard, Forgotten Junk (2013, grunge). [Google]
GalloFonts (was: Graphics by Gallo)
GalloFonts is part of Graphics by Gallo, founded in 1974 by Gerald Gallo (b. Lucernemines, PA, 1941), and based in Bethesda, MD. GalloFonts sells all of its 80 fonts to you for 200USD via MyFonts (see also here). The fonts: Display University (2005, athletic lettering), Angulatte Light, Angulatte Medium, Angulatte Bold, Anniversary Seals (2003), Basic Bullets, Blooming Ornaments (2008), Brashee Regular, Brashee Bold, Calendar Font One, Calendar Font Two, Calendar Font Three, Carved Initials, Chiseled Initials, Cleancut, Dexterous (2010, art nouveau), Diamond Monogram - 2 Characters, Diamond Monogram - 3 Characters, Display Black Serif (2010, angular), Display Dots Five (2010), Display Dots Six (2010), Display Grungy (2010), Display Robust (2010), Dooddle, Embossed Shallow, Embossed Medium, Embossed Deep, GG Casual Light (2002, was Gallo Casula: hand printing family), GG Casual Medium, GG Casual Bold, GG Dingbats (was Gallo Dingbats, like Zapf Dingbats), GG Serif (1993, was Gallo Serif), Geometric Arrows, Geometric Ornaments, Gnarlee, Greetings, Home Sweet Home, Isometric Initial Caps - Bird's Eye View (1994), Isometric Initial Caps - Worm's Eye View, Isometric Ornaments, Jackolantern Assortment (2002) Just Bugs, Kruede Light, Kruede Regular (handwriting), Kruede Bold, Leaf Assortment (1994), Leaves Falling, Logotype, Magnificent Ornaments (2006, Victorian era decorations), Make Tracks (2002, animal footprints), Number Ornaments, Numbers 0-99 Style One - Circle Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style One - Circle Positive, Numbers 0-99 Style One - Diamond Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style One - Diamond Positive, Numbers 0-99 Style One - Square Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style One - Square Positive, Numbers 0-99 Style Two - Circle Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style Two - Circle Positive, Numbers 0-99 Style Two - Diamond Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style Two - Diamond Positive, Numbers 0-99 Style Two - Square Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style Two - Square Positive, Numbers 0-99 Style Three - Circle Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style Three - Circle Positive, Numbers 0-99 Style Three - Diamond Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style Three - Diamond Positive, Numbers 0-99 Style Three - Square Negative, Numbers 0-99 Style Three - Square Positive, Ornate Initials - Style One (2002), Ornate Initials - Style Two, Ornate Initials - Style Three, Pleasant Hand Light (2002) Pleasant Hand Medium, Pleasant Hand Bold, Precision, Rolling Ball Cursive, Serene (1993), Slender, Smiling Faces, Snowflake Assortment (1994), Snowflakes Falling (2001), Sport Numbers, Star Assortment (2002), Stature (2010, compressed sans), Swiss Folk Ornaments - Critters&Things, Swiss Folk Ornaments - Floral, Swiss Folk Ornaments - Geometric, Time Clocks, Woozee, Display Prominent (2005), Ultimate Ornaments (2005), Cross Ornaments (2005), Heraldic Creatures (2006), Victorian Leaf Ornaments (2006: great!), Quilt Patterns One (2007), Holy Ornaments (2007), Oriental Ornaments (2007), Gothic Initials One through Six (2007-2008), Interlaced Ornaments (2007), Modest Ornaments (2008), Art Nouveau Flowers (2008), Art Nouveau Ornaments (2008), Quilt Patterns Two (2008), Display Gothic (2008, blackletter), Plant Assortment (2008), Birds Flying (2009), Happy Go Lucky (2009, Victorian), Fish Fresh (2009), Display Dots One (2009, dot matrix face), Display Art Two and Three (2009, art nouveau alphabets), Display Dots Two Serif and Sans (2009, dot matrix faces), Display Dots Three Serif and Sans (2009), Display Dots Four Serif and Sans (2009), Display Robust (2010), Quilt Patterns Three and Four (both 2009), Gothic Initials (Seven, Eight, Nine: 2009), Carefreed (2009, a Halloween script?), Glorita (2009, casual condensed sans), Fancy Flowers (2010), Rectilinear Ornaments (2010), Display Brutal (2010, grunge), Cross Stitch Graceful (2010), Cross Stitch Regal (2011), Cross Stitch Formal (2010), Cross Stitch Discreet (2010), Cross Stitch Classic (2010), Display Dots Seven (2011), Cross Stitch Majestic (2011), Cross Stitch Elaborate (2011), Cross Stitch Medieval (2011), Cross Stitch Ornaments (2013), Display Squares One and Two (2011, gridded or dot matrix faces), Display Digits One through Seven (2011), Display Crisp (2012, octagonal), Blue on Blue (2012, shadow face), Green on Green (2012, 3d shadow face), White on White (2012), Orange on Orange (2012, a 3d shadow face), Victorian Ornaments (2012), Printers Plant Ornaments (2012, a floral typeface), Simple Ornaments, Numbers Style Three Diamond Positiv Regular (2012), Charisma (2013, inspired by the hand lettering used by draftsmen and architects), Display Explicit (2013), Display Uncanny (2013, unicase), Display Carlos (2013, a piano key typeface), Mighty Oaks (2013, stylized oak leaves).
Klingspor link. [Google]
Gene Buban (aka geneus1) is the creative and prolific designer at FontStruct in 2008-2009 of these faces:
- Aerologica (2009): 3-d headline face.
- Alphadings: DeTracks.
- Altitudinus (2010).
- Amplifica (+Carved, 2010).
- Arkham Bloodletters (2008).
- Bauhaus style: Slink (2009) is a tribute to Josef Albers---one could also call it a piano key font. Codename Bauhaus (2010).
- Arc Brick 1:1 and 2:2 (2010).
- Bevelicious (2009): 3d shadow face.
- Bezziaiare (2010): an imitation of Futura.
- Brikd is a fantastic headline face.
- Bubble Lab EF (2008) and Bubble Lab Bang (2008): dingbat fonts.
- Calligraphique (2010).
- ChequereBoard (2008): a 3d face.
- Christmas fonts: Kallosia Decorative (2009, blackletter), Snowflakes (2009).
- Clone War (2008).
- Codename Bauhaus (2010).
- Country Fried (Western style)
- Decorata (stylized art deco)
- Didone fonts: Legality (2009, sharply serifed), Petrissage (2009).
- Dingbats: DeTrayne (graffiti-clad trains), Happy Halloween (2009).
- Egalite (2010): a blackletter face.
- ElSeeDee (2008, white on a black grid, inspired by the baggage claim LED scrolling message system at the Oakland Airport)
- Effleurage (2009).
- Eurostijl (2008)
- Exersia, Excursia
- Ferno (hell?)
- Filmstryp (2008)
- Flameon (2008) is a vertically striped athletic lettering font.
- Fluoralei (2008) and Fluoralyte (2008) are all caps floral-themed typefaces.
- Futuro (2008) and Futuro Extra Bold (2008).
- Futurity Watch (2009).
- Framestore (2008).
- G1 Construx (2012). An arched textured face for "under construction" signage.
- G1 Stenzilla (2012). A piano key stencil face.
- Gappy and Gappy LC (2010).
- Glossierre (2009).
- Graffikki (2010): graffiti face.
- Hammerslab (2008) is a very thick heavy slab serif face.
- Happy Halloween (2008): Halloween dingbats.
- HellStruct (2008): flamed letters.
- hollo, holloback, holloblack
- HulkSmash has the look of cracked concrete blocks---has to be seen to be believed!
- HyperLynk (2010).
- Indiglo (2010).
- Interblok Cylindrome (2011) and Interblok Stroke (2009): labyrinthine / Celtic knot / texture faces.
- IronManic (2008, letters resemble armor steel plates with bolts)
- IsoMatrix 3D (2009, an Escher deception in 3D), Bevelluzian (2010, 3d beveled checkerboard illusion).
- Jaggs (2010): angular.
- Karuso 68 (2009).
- Leefer is a kitchen tile font.
- Legere (2010, a roman face).
- LegoManiax (2008).
- Modulus and Modulus Black, ultra fat fonts.
- Motternal (2011), a version of Othmar Motter's Motter Tektura.
- Mucro Bold, a heavy metal band font
- Multiverse Diagonality (2009).
- Nontroppo (2010).
- Outlier (2010).
- Paradoxx (2011). Peignotian.
- Periculum (2010): monoline sans.
- Pixsle (2010).
- Predatoric ad Predatoric2 (2010).
- Prikkle (2010): angular.
- Requiemme Decorum (Sept. 14th, 2009): blackletter. He writes: Exactly one year ago two of my cousins, Chris and Cleofe, got into a dealer-loaned Lexus for a trip after their main car was being repaired. Cleofe's husband, a CHP officer, was driving and their teen daughter was along for the ride. While on the freeway, the accelerator became stuck and they lost control of the car. As the runaway vehicle sped up to over 100 mph, all four passengers were killed in a fiery crash in the San Diego River. The loss was unquantifiably devastating. This immensely tragic event led my aunt to testify before congress with damning evidence that would initiate the recall of millions of Toyota vehicles. Requiemme Decorum was created on the way down to southern California for the funeral services. For Chris, Cleofe, Mark, and Mahala, may you all rest in peace and love.
- Renovare (2010, +Renovare S1, S2): a slab serif.
- Roboscript (2008): an upright connected school script.
- Rubrix (2008): a Rubik cube dingbat font.
- Scipio (2010).
- Scribble Not (2010) is a texture face.
- Sequencia (2010).
- Seriface and Seriface 2.0 (2010, a roman all-caps set).
- Sharp-serifed almost modern faces: Legality, Petrissage, Effleurage, Karuso68.
- Sonorous (2010).
- Spartan Tech (2010): inspired by the multiplayer game Halo3.
- Stanley Twobrick (pointy minimalist face)
- Startrek faces: Transformicon (2009).
- Streamlyne (2010, squarish, outlined).
- Structurocca and Structurozza (2009): Horizontally stencilled black faces.
- Tangience and Tangience Solid (2008) are fonts in which the glyphs are built up from circles glued together.
- The Pax Man (2009): metallic whatever.
- Trelief and Trelief Rounded (2010): multilined 3d beveled faces.
- Tubric (2010): counterless.
- Upriteous and Upriteous Black, condensed protestant fonts.
- Victoriana (Victorian caps)
- Wall-F: white squarish letters in black circles
- Waverly, with scary pointed barbs like on German WWI helmets.
- Weaver (Celtic knot-themed letters)
- Xerro (2010): like Helvetica.
- Yeomamuh, a fat look face.
- Wypeout (2010)
A giant of German type design, b. Brettheim, 1896, d. München, 1985. Active with Berthold in Berlin from 1930-1935, and with C.E. Weber in Stuttgart from 1937 onwards. From 1934 until 1953, he succeeded Paul Renner as the Director of the Meisterschule für Deutschlands Buchdrucker in München. In 1982 he was awarded the TDC Medal. Ph. Luidl and G.G. Lange published "Hommage für Georg Trump" in 1981. Linotype link. FontShop link. His production:
View the typefaces made by Georg Trump. [Google]
[GalloFonts (was: Graphics by Gallo)]
Gilang Purnama Jaya
[Gilang Purnama Jaya]
Gilang Purnama Jaya (GP Typefoundry) is a Bandung, Indonesia-based graphic designer, b. 1987.
He created Nasta Sucks (2008, grunge), the grungy athletic lettering face Bandung Hardcore GP (2010) and the free gothic fonts The Underdog Journey (2010), Minggu Pagi (2010) and Goodbye Alena (2010). Creator of the "broken" constructivist face Gilang Cinta Sabrina (2010), which has only capitals.
In 2012, he made the spurred tattoo typeface Biker from Hell, the tattoo script face Original Gangsta, the graffiti face Los Angeles Homies. The spurred tattoo script Tattoo Shop was made in 2013.
In 2013, Decade Typefoundry published Los Santos (a tattoo / graffiti font), Basingstoke (a spurred display typeface by Gilang Purnama Jaya), American Brewery (Decade Typefoundry: a whiskey bottle font), American Brewery Rough, Appleton (a spurred 19th century signage face published by Decade Typefoundry), and Vintage Badges.
Dafont link. Devian tart link. Fontspace link. Another Dafont link. Another Fontspace link. [Google]
Greek House of Fonts
Sebastian Riessen is the San Diego-based creator of the rounded fat face Greek House Fat (2006-2009, caps only). Dafont link. Free fonts: Greek House Basic, Krakt and Symbolized. Pay fonts: Greek Curlz, Greek Collegiate, Greek Ole English, Greek Script, Greekhouse 70s, Greek Applique, Applique Outlined, Greek Ancient, Greekhouse Heavy, Greek Junior High, Collegiate Outline, Wicked Olde English, English Skript, Greek HouseSymbolized (2012), Greek Fathouse, Greek Marker Bold, Greek Freight Tag, Greekhouse Scribbled, Greekhouse Studz, Greekhouse Stitched.
Fontspace link. Klingspor link. [Google]
A group of independent designers from Poland, heade by Bartek Nowak, and located in Staromiejska. Nowak has been designing typefaces since ca. 2000. Typefaces:
Dafont link. Klingspor link. Fontspace link. GRIN3 link. Old free font URL.
Showcase of Bartek Nowak's commercial fonts. [Google]
Ground Control (was: Penny Font Foundry, or: Pennyzine)
As part of the (ex-) Chank Army, Jason Ramirez (b. 1978, Wisconsin) offers free and commercial fonts. He started out as Pennyzine or Penny Fonts, or Penny Font Foundry, with free fonts that were typically made with the Data Becker software program. Later, his fonts became commercial, and the new site changed its name to Ground Control.
The list of their free fonts, which are mostly in the grunge style that was in vogue ca. 2000: Locals Only (2011), Cocaine Nosejob (2008), Made (2004, grunge blackletter), Strip Club Motion Sickness (2003), One Fell Swoop (2003, scratchy calligraphic), Fear of a Punk Planet (2005), Futon Revolutionist (2002), Bill Hicks (2002, grungy blackletter), Elliot Swonger (2002), Elliots Bad Day (grunge), Don Giovonni (2006, grungy typewriter), Don Giovonni Makin Enemies (2006), Gumuski (2002), DUMMY (1999), Acid Reflux Baby (2002), Avenge Me (2004, multiline, octagonal), Times-New-Omen (1999), punk rock rummage sale (2001), Thatluvinfeelin1 (2001, a sexual positions font), cut-n-paste (1999), Maydogg (1999-2002, handwriting), My-wife-sucks (1999), Stamped-out (1999), Stank (1999), StankII (1999), uncle-tom (1999), uno (1999), Coopdeville (2002), Dirtysocks, FourMoreYears (2003), Punkrockrummagesale (2001), Theregoestheneighborhood (2003), Thiskettle (2002, handwriting), Mr. Rogers (2003), Regime Change (2004), Hotel Coral Essex (2006, grunge), Limp Noodle (2006).
Commercial fonts: Sparkle House (2011), Chompsky Fancy (2011), Redneck Superstar (2002, Chank's).
Dafont link. Yet another URL. Another link. Fontspace link. Abstract Fonts link. Alternate URL. Direct downloads. Alternate direct download path. Ground Control web site. [Google]
Creator in 2009 at FontStruct of Zipper (outline face). [Google]
Herbert F. Van Brink
Highground Industries (or: Highground Graffiti Fonts, or: Fulltime Artists)
Matt Napolitano (b. 1977) runs Highground Industries (ex-Highground Graffiti Fonts, ex: Fulltime Artists) in Milpitas and/or San Jose, CA. Graffiti Fonts was also run by them. And so is Rase One Full Time Artists over on Dafont.
Commercial graffiti fonts: first, there is a group of such fonts by Matt Napolitano, who runs the site (Dim Basic, Wild Style, Pilot Rase, RaseOne Original, RaseOne Outline, Human Rase, New Digital). There are free contributions by Ray Larabie (Funboy, Bomr, Degrassi, Graffiti Treat, Hawkeye, Yytrium), and Johan Waldenström (Writers, Writers2, writers3, Writers Bold, Writers Condensed, Homeboy, 08Underground, 5Cent, B-Boy, Subway).
Fonts from 2013: RapScript (graffiti), Olde Crilt (blackletter).
Fonts from 2012: Rase GPL (squarish, free at OFL).
Fonts from 2011: Gang Bang (2011, graffiti tag style), Scrawl (graffiti style).
Fonts from 2010: Stencil Font, Wild Style (tattoo or metal band font), New English (blackletter), Mad Props (brush), Graffick (futuristic), Olde Gangsta (blackletter), Back Spin, Ruckus, Pre Cursive (lined school font), Caption (brush), CaliCholo (brushy wall writing by LA gangs), Skin Art (an all caps tattoo family), Ballers (calligraphic brushy script).
Fonts from before 2010: Standard Cap (2007, brush face), Hardway (2005, graffiti), Burner (2006), Scraper (2007, caps only paintbrush face), Fresh Paint (2006, like Scraper), Street Artist (2008, tag font for graffiti), Rase Downe (2006, graffiti face), Tough Guy (2001, mechanical family; +Stencil College), Dafunk, Fatcap, Pilot Rase, Califas (2006), Califas Chisel (2013), Scrawler (2006), Wild Style (2006), Rase Tribals (2006), Uni Wide (2006), Rase One (2004), Magik Marker (2006), Paint Cans (2003), Rase Basic (2003), Same Gang (2004).
Klingspor link. OFL link. Graffiti Fonts link. [Google]
Creator of a logotype / athletic lettering type family for the University of North Texas, called UNT (2011). Behance link. [Google]
I Shot The Serif
Original free fonts by American designer Matthew Welch: APLPLUS-Regular, AncientGeekRegular, BlackKnightRegular, CheatinRegular (experimental), College (athletic lettering), CollegeBold, CollegeCondensed, CollegeSemiCondensed, ElectricPickle, ElectricPickleBold, Far East (oriental simulation), Farewell, FatFingerRegular, Free3of9 and Free3of9Extended (1997, see also here and here), FuddRegular (1998, Cyrillic simulation), GoLong, Hit The Road, LEDRealRegular, LocustRegular (dingbats), NeverRegular, NewJobRegular, RushinRegular (1998, Cyrillic simulation font), SecretCode, Tiny (pixel face), TRTL, FrakturModern, KingsGambit, Mattbats, OneFortySevenRegular, WhiteRabbit, OddDog, Geek (Greek).
In 2012, he added the constructivist typeface Propaganda, as well as Tinier (a pixel font), Stadium and Libby (an all-caps sans family).
Dafont link. Fontspace link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
[Dan M. Zadorozny]
Born in Philadelphia and a resident of Texas, Dan Zadorozny's creations at Iconian. He is a prolific type designer who specializes in techno and sci-fi typefaces. Dafont link. Fontsy link. Abstract Fonts link. Font Squirrel link. His fonts in alphabetical order:
- #44 font (2002), 00Starmap (2001, pixel font), 1st Cav (2008), 2-Tech, 2nd Amendment (2007, guns), 2nd Amendment 2050 (2009, more gun silhouettes), 2Toon, 300 Trojans (2008, comic book family), 4114 Blaster (2008, futuristic), 5th Agent (2008, techno), 7th Service (2002), 8th Element (2013), 911Porscha.
- Achilles, Action-Men (2008), Action Women (2008, female outlines), Aegis (2010, Greek simulation family), Aetherfox (2013), AirCobra (2002), Aircruiser (2011, trekkie family), AirForce (planes and copters), Airstrike (2013), Airstrip One (2003), Aldo's Moon, Aldo's Nova, Alexis (2001), Alien League, Alpha Sentry, Alpha Taurus (2007, octagonal, athletic lettering), Amalgam, Americorps (2012), Anakefka (2009, ultra-fat family), Antikythera (2013, Greek simulation face), Antilles (2009, sans family), Argosy, Arilon (2008), Army Rangers (2013, octagonal), Astropolis (2009), Atlantia (2012, futuristic), Avenger (2008, futuristic).
- Babes&Bond (2009, erotic silhouettes), Babe-alicious (2002, erotic outlines), Bad Robot (2007, computer game look), Bal-Astaral, Bamf (2011, techno family), Battlefield, Beam Rider, Beastian (2011), Ben Zion (2008, Hebrew simulation), Berserker (2008, grunge), Beta Biergärten (2008), Bio-disc, Bio-discSolid, Bio-discThin, Bionic Comic (2002), Bionic Type (2002), Birds of a Feather (2007, dingbats), Block, Blood Crow (2009), Bloodlust (2011, dripping blood face), Blue July (2009), Bog Beast (2013), Brin Athyn (2008, uncial/Celtric), Bronic (2004), Bummer (2007, octagonal), Bushido (2008, oriental simulation), Butch and Sundance (2013), Buttons the Bear (2008, children's hand), Byte Police.
- Capella (2011, a wide techno family), CasperComics, Chardin Doihle (2008), a useful informal handprinting family), Charlemagne, Charlie's-Angles, Cheyenne Hand (2008), Christendom, Clubber Lang (2013, grungy), C.O.D.E.R. (2012), Colossus (2011, old chipped stone look), ComicBookCommando, ComicFX, Commonwealth, Concielian, Corinthian, Covert Ops (2012, army stencil), Coyote Deco (2007, art deco), Crappity-Crap-Crap (2007), Crime Syndicate (2013), Crixus (2011, a squarish sans that includes an athletic lettering style), Cro-Magnum (2003), CryUncial, Cyberia (like Soviet: neat Russian imitation letters), Cyrus The Virus (2012, grungy, hand-printed).
- DS Man, Daedalus (2008), Daemonicus (2012), Dan Stargate (2008), Dan'sHand, Dark Horse (nice brush font), Darkwind, Dassault (2013), Delta Ray, Demon Priest (2013), Department-K, DepartmentH, Deranian (2008), Detonator, DiegoCon (2004), Ding-o-saurs (2007), Direktor (2008, Cyrillic simulation techno), Dire Wolf (2013), Disco-Dork, Disco Deck (2005), Disco Duck, Dodger, Dotcom (2002), Drafting Board (2008), Drafting Table (2008), Dragon Order (oriental simulation), Drid Herder (2002), Droid-Lover (2008), Drosselmeyer (my favorite).
- Eagleclaw (2009), Eaglemania, Earthrealm (2013), Earthshake (2013), Earth's Mightiest (2002), Eco-files, Eldebaran (2012), Elder Magic (2009), Election Day (2009), Empire Crown (2011, blackletter), Enduro, Ensign Flandry, Ephesian (2007), Erin Go Bragh (2009, Celtic/uncial), EscapeArtist, Eskindar (2013), Eternal Knight (2013), EverettSteele'sHand, Excelerate, Excelsior, Excelsior Comics, Exedore (2008), Exoplanet (2013, techno), Extechchop (2005).
- Factor, Falconhead, Famous Spaceships (2007), FantasticCreatures, Fantazian (2003), Fantom (2009, bad handwriting), Federal Service (2011), Federapolis (2008, octagonal techno face), Fedyral, Fedyral-II, Feldercarb (2003, octagonal font), Ferret Face (2013), Fiddler's Cove (2012), Fight Kid (2009), First Order (2001), Flesh Eating Comic (2013, grunge), Flight Corps (2008, techno/pixelish), FlyingLetaherneck (2002), Force Majeure, Frank-n-Plank (2013, a wooden plank font), Free-Agent (2008), Freedom Fighter (2013, stencil), FunnyPages, Futurex Grunge (2005).
- Galant, Galaxy-1 (2008), Galaxy Far Far Away (2009, futuristic dingbat font), Galga (2008, futuristic), Gamma Sentry, Gemina (2011, sci-fi / techno family), Gemina2 (2013), Generation Nth, GeoBats (2007), GI Incognito (2012), Goalie (2008, hockey mask alphading), Gods of War, Governor, Graymalkin (2011, trekky), Grease Gun (2012), Grendel's Mother, Grim Ghost (2013), Grimlord (2009), Guardian (2008), Guardian-Laser (2008), Guardian-Pro (2008), Guardian-Shadow (2008), Gunship, Gunship V2 (2002), Gypsy Killer (2013), Gyrfalcon.
- Hadriatic (2008, roman lettering), Half Elven (2013), Halfshell Hero (2013), Hall of Heroes (2007), Halo, Han Solo (2013), Harrier (2002), Hawkmoon (2011), Hello Copters (2013: helicopter dingbats), Heorot (2009, stone age fonts), Heroes Assemble (2011), Highrise Heaven (2007, city skyline dingbats), Holy Empire, Homemade-Robot, Homeworld (2003), Homeworld Translator (2003), Hulkbusters, Hypno Agent.
- ICebox Art (2012), IWantMyTTR!, Iconian (2002), Iconified, Illuminati, Imaginary Forces (2008, mythical dingbats), Imperial Code (2003, Startrek style face), Imperium, Incubus, Incubus-Italic (2008), Incubus-Shadow (2008), Infinity Formula (2003, super techno), Infobubble, Interceptor (2008), Interdiction (2012), International Super Hero (2002), Intrepid, Iron-Cobra (2008), Iron Forge (2012).
- Jackson, Jannisaries, Jedi Special Forces (2012), Jerusalem (1999, Hebrew font simulation)[see also here], Jetta, JettaTech, Jetway (2012, a stencil face), Johnny Torch (2012), Judge, Judge Hard, Justice (2009), Jumptroops (2003), Justinian.
- Kahless, KameraDings (2009), KarateChop (2009), Kartoons (2008), Katana, Kennebunkport (2013, script), Keystone (pixel font), Khazad-Dum (2011), Kid Cobalt (2008, comic book face), Kinex, King Commando (2011), King's Ransom, KnightsTemplar, Knock Furious (2003, dingbats), Kobold (2008, futuristic), Kondor (2013), Kountry Kodes (2008, international license plate lettering), Kovacs-Spot, Kovacs, Kreeture (2002), Kubrick (2008).
- Lamprey (2012, techno family), LandShark (2001), LandWhale (2001), Laredo Trail (2013, a Western face), Laserian, Law and Order (2005, dingbats), League Wars (2013, sci-fi stencil), Leatherface (2013), LegalTender, Legion, Liberty Island (2013, sci-fi), Lightsider (2011, Star Trekkish family), Lincoln Lode, Lionel (2009), Low Gun Screen (2008, a totally square screen type family), Lincoln Chain, Lionheart, Lobo-Tommy (2008), Lord of the Sith, Loveladies, Low Gun Screen (2008, screen face).
- Machiavelli, Mad Marker, Magic Beans (2007), Marathon-II, Marathon, Masked Marvel (2002), Masterdom (2004), Metal Storm 3D (2008), Metronauts (2013), Metroplex, MetroplexLaser, MetroplexShadow, Michaelmas, Micronian (2009, pixelish headline family), Milk Bar (2003), Micronian (2008, extensive pixel-based family), Military-RPG (2008), Missile Man (2002, futuristic), Miss Amanda Jones (2004, brush style), Mobile Infantry, Modi Thorson (2013, techno), Monsterama (2011, scary face), Moon Dart (2008), Morse Kode, MorseNK, Movie Gallery (2008, dingbats), Mrs. Monster (2013, Halloween brush font), Mystic Singler (2008, rough brush face).
- Nathan Brazil (2013, art deco), National Express (2003), Native Alien, Nemesis Enforcer (2013), Neo-Geo (like the letters on the Neon cars), Neuralnomicon, Nick Turbo (2001), NifeFite, NifeFiter, NifeFites, Nightchilde (2013), Nightrunner (2008, sci-fi), Nightwraith (2011, techno family), Ninjas (2002), NoloContendre, Nostromo, Nuevo Passion (2013), Nyet (2002, Soviet letter simulation).
- Oberon, Oberon-Deux, Obsidiscs (2003, dingbats), Oceanic Drift (2013), October Guard (2013, Cyrillic simulation face), Odinson (2007, runes), Olympicons (2003), Omega 3 (2010, futuristic), Omega Force (2013, octagonal / mechanical), Omega Sentry, OmniGirl (2003, techno), Opilio (2012), Opus Magnus (2013, metal band font), Oramac (2004), Ore Crusher (2013), Outlands-Truetype (2001), Outrider (2013), Ozda (2011, a fat techno family with several horizontally striped styles), Ozymandias.
- Psyonic VII (2012), Pandemonious Puffery (2002), Parker's Hand (2002, handwriting), Perdition, Peregrine, Phaser Bank (2008, techno), Philadelphia, Philly Dings (2003), Piper Pie (2007), Pistoleer (2011), Planet N, Planet S, Planet X, Player 1 Up (2012: architectural family), Police Cruiser (2013), Postmaster, Power Lord (2011), Presley-Press (2007), Press Darling (2012), Procyon, Prokofiev (2009, rounded and squarish), Promethean (2008), Protoplasm, Prowler (2013), Pseudo Saudi (1999, Arabic simulation), PuffAngel, Pulse Rifle (2009), Pyrabet.
- QTs (2013: erotic silhouettes), Quake-&-Shake, Quantum of Malice (2013), Quark Storm (2013), Quartermain (2002), Quasitron (2009, futuristic), Quatl (2002, an Inca font), Queen&Country (2009), Quest Knight (2009), Questlok, Quicken (2013, horizontal stencil), QuickGear, Quickmark (2004), QuickQuick, QuickStrike, QuickTech.
- RCMP, RadZad, Radio-Space, Raise Your Flag (2013), Realpolitik, Rebecca, Rebel Command (2012, Star Trek family), Redcoat (2008, blackletter), Red Rocket (2011, techno), Regulators, Replicant, Repulsor (2013, pixelish), Rhalina (2011, a nice upright script), Righteous Kill (2009), Robotaur (2008), Rocket Junk, Rocket Type (2002), Rogue-Hero, Roid Rage (2003), Ro'Ki'Kier (2008), Rosicrucian (2009, stone age font), Rubber Boy (2013, poster font family).
- Sable Lion (2002), Sagan (2008, futuristic), Scarab, ScarabScript, Sci-Fi (2008), SDF (2013), Sea-Dog, Searider-Falcon (2008), Secret Files (2011), Sever, Shining Herald (2013), SisterEurope, Snubfighter (2009, sci-fi), Soldier (2011), Sound FX (2003), Soviet, Space Cruiser, Space Junker, Space Ranger (2013), SPQR (2008, grunge roman), Spy Agency (2012), Spy Lord (2001), Starduster (2011), Starfighter, Star Navy (2009: dingbats), Strikelord (2011, trekkie family), Stuntman, Subadai Baan (2013), SuperUltra911, Superago (2002).
- Talkies (2008, dingbats), Tarrget (2013, based on the Tekken "Tag Tournament" logo), Taskforce (2008), Tauro (2012), Tele-Marines, Terra Firma, Texas, Texas2, TheRifleman, The Shire (2009), The Shooter (2012: gun dingbats), Thundergod, Thundergod II (2013), Thunder-Hawk (2011, an aviation techno face), Tigershark (2013), Timberwolf (2011), Time Warriors (2007), Tool (2012, dingbats of tools), Toon Town Industrial (2005, comic book font), Tracer, Trajia (2008, a techno/stencil/athletic lettering family), Traveler (2008), Travelicons (2009), Travesty (2003, scrawly handwriting), Trek Trooper (2008, Startrek font), Trigger Man (2013, octagonal and mechanical), Trireme (2011, Star trek family), Tristram (2008, uncial), Troopers (2011, futuristic), Trueheart (2009, Celtic), Tussle (2002), Typeecanoe (hand-printed), Typhoon (2013).
- Uberholme, Uberholme Lazar (2001), UFO Hunter (2009), Ultra 911, Ultramarines (2013), Unisol, UniversalJack, Uno Estado (2009, constructivist), U.S.A., USArmy, US Army II (2013), US Marshal (2012), US Navy (2007), U.S.S. Dallas (2008), Usuzi.
- Valerius (2009, uncial), Valkyrie (2008), Valley Forge (2008), Vampire Games (2001), VariShapes (2001), VideoStar, Vigilante Notes (2003), Vilmos Magyar, Vindicator (2012, techno), voxBOX, Voortrekker Pro (2009: octagonal and athletic lettering family), Vorpal (2012: sci-fi stencil face), Vorvolaka (2013), Voyage Fantastique (2013), Vyper (2008, futuristic stencil).
- War Eagle (2009), War Machine, War Priest (2012), Warrior Nation (2011), Wars of Asgard (2009), Watchtower (2012), Weaponeer (2008, military lettering), Were-Beast (2008), Wet Works (2013, grungy stencil), Whatafont, Ensign Flandry (2003), Whiskey Bravo (2003), Wildcard (2011, Star trek family), Wimp Out (2004), Wolf's Bane (+II, +Super-Extended, 2013), Woodgod (2013), Worldnet (great wordly O), Write Off, Writer's-Block, WyldStallyns.
- Xaphan (2003), XCryption (1999, a hacker face), XPED, Xcelsion (2002), Xenophobia, Xephyr, Xeppelin (2005, zeppelin dingbats), X-Grid (2008), Xiphos (2007), Xoxoxa, X-Racer (2012).
- Yahren, Yama Moto (2009: oriental simulation), Yankee Clipper (2011), Yay USA (2013), Year 2000, Year3000 (2001), Yellow Jacket (2002), Yiroglyphics (2004), Yorstat (oriental simulation), Young Frankenstein (2013), Youngtechs (2008, futuristic), Yukon Tech.
- Za's Vid (2001, pixel font), Zado (2002, dot-matrix font), Zakenstein (2011, caps only grunge), Zamboni Joe (2002, hand-printed)), Zealot (2008), Zee Lance, Zen Masters (2002, pixelish), Zeta Sentry (2009, techno/futuristic), Zollern (2013), Zombie Control (2013: a bloody paint drip face), Zone Rider, Zoologic (2009, animal dingbats), Zyborgs, Zymbols.
Frenchman (b. 1957) who started making fonts in 2010, after a career in illustration, comics, and video games. In 2010, he created the free fonts BabyJo (pixel face), Bayday, Chrom (beveled face), LaPresse (grunge), Muffaroo, Poppy, Poppydot, Spacecard, Strokewith, Strokeless, ToonLand (comic book lettering), ToonLandBlack, ToonLandShad, TrashToys (grunge), WorldColors (3d face).
In 2011, he published Francobelge (comic book face), Freepress (grunge), Gamix (Western titling face), Inmyroom (dingbats), Majestrick (calligraphic), Onomatopaf (comic book dings), Outerzone, OuterzoneB, Starz (dingbats), Stenstreet (grunge), Tram, Tramix (texture face), TrashToys02, War-Lettersn, Mixagex, Massive Dynamite (grunge), Not Well (grunge), Actu, Blck, Gling (texture face), HeRioz (silhouettes), Brightoon (cartoonish brush face), Muzo (ink spill face), Sharpy, Space Shop (dingbats), Pulp Dance (handprinted), Essef (art deco), Retro Sign (grunge), Labo (grunge), Exhausted, Komikoz, Puzzled, Toonimals (dings), Penstriped (sketch face), Cashier (grungy), Dan Hand, Hardwell (grungy caps), Colleged (athletic lettering), Goodjean (jeans texture face), Seaside Things (dingbats), Real Tek (techno), Zou (3d hand-printed caps), Painter, Border Line (grunge), Handout (grunge), Tract (grunge), Pulpatone (grunge), Logos I Love, Pal Antic (chancery hand), Twent (fat rounded display face), DoodFlow (dingbats), Afro Add (texture face), Crump (grunge), Big White, Dark Room (grunge), Manifesto (grunge), Tacketil (a FontStruct font), Otto Land (sketch face), Over (outline face), Under (brush dings), Baskertown (grunge), Nursery Tale, Panic (texture face), BlackNDot (ink spill face), Beyond (striped display face), Advert, Car Crash (grunge), Heartz, Starsteel, Smart Faces, Blackflag (a brushed blackletter), Dock 51 (grungy stencil), Lead (3d face).
In November 2011, he created a number of texture faces: Hotöcop, Pal Mod, Speedy (sketch face), Thirties Gold, Sunset GP.
Further 2011 faces: Poptivi, Shadow Mole, Super Modern Black.
Faces from 2012: Remanence, Winter Days (dingbats), Nowharehouse (grunge), Snuff (grunge), Cup of Tea (3d shadow face), Talk of the wall.
Typefaces from 2012: Egirlz (dingbats), Art Post (white on black poster lettering), Volutes (copperplate calligraphic script), From me 2 you (curly script), PS I Love You, Kolossal (caps only), Kraash, Alexandre (3d engraved headline face), Monstres de poche (dingbats), Alternate (grunge), Warning, Dreams (brush face), Headline Crack, Bump Pad (textured typeface), Carton (grungy white-on-black stencil face), Maybe maybe Not, Frames n Riboons (sic), Blackboard (sketched face), Logotronik (a 3d techno face), Big Bad Dogs (dingbats), Libre Expression (engraved copperplate typeface), Mecagothix (textured blackletter face), Destroy, Destroy Helpers, Buy More, Things we said (curly face), Lost Saloon (Tuscan), Salon de Coiffure (beveled), Brighton Pier (grunge), Motel Vacancy (grunge), Bates Shower (dripping blood typeface), Venus Furs (texture typeface), Showmen, True Men Tattoos (dingbats), Quicker (sketch font), Romanum Est (grungy Trajan face), Also (scratchy letters), Lazy Day (3d font), Pusher, Hard Dumb, The Idiot, Overflowing (grunge), Fast Foont (sketched), Melange (grunge), Jumbo Parade (circus font), Happy Monsters, Zozox (experimental), Magic Sound (packaging typeface), Arena Mascaras (dingbats), Top View (3d face), Flagadoum, Last King Quest, Rhythm n Blacks (textured face), Troll Sketched, Superpoz (a 3d painted typeface of exceptional beauty), HalloCuties (Halloween font), Gothik Steel (circus font), Silvestre Relief (3d titling face), Just Like That (comic book face), Numero 10 (athletic lettering), Tet de Mor (skulls), Facelook, Xmas Dad, Instant Marker, Ragtimer, Punk Dots (textured face), Onomato Vlam (comic book balloons), 8th Cargo (textured mechanical octagonal face), Zu Kabarett (creepy curly German expressionist face), Unusual Day One, Happy New One (party font), Xmas Doods, Xmas Doods 2, Higher, Usual Day One, Team 401 (athletic lettering), Doonga (comic strip letters), Killer's Move.
Typefaces from 2013: Them (fat brush), Ghost Code, Tiny Heroes (figurines), Over There (sci-fi), Higher than High, Abandon (sketched face), Broken Hearts, True Stories, A wolf at the door (wood style poster face), Elo Hand, Bots n Droids (dingbats), Toonimals 2 (dingbats), Halftoned Backup (textured face), Novlang (textured poster face), Come With Us, Ptits Pirates (pirate figurines), Board Dudes (skateboard dingbats), Big Bro's Watch (grungy), Doonga Slash (comic book face), Round About, Signz, Lethal League (grungy athletic lettering), Dark Times, Dandy Hat Trick, tardots (textured typeface), Dinoz (dinosaur dingbats), Big Surprise (fat script), Comix Loud, Arlequin, Fanzine Title, Scotch Taped, Phoenix (dingbats), Rock's Death (grunge), Tuamotu (textured), Trees Friends (dingbats), King Arthur Legend (blackletter), Fairy Strange, Flame On, Mystery, Money Go Round (ransom note font), Seven of One, Captain's Talk, Peaches en Regalia (sketch font), Wrong Board (textured or crayon typeface), Subito (comic book face), Extra Sales (signage face), Gimme Danger (grunge stencil), Alphabet City (graffiti font), Raleigh Rock, Rysky Lines, Splash, Good Vibers (comic book figurines), Tequilla Sunrise (3d shadow face), Graphers Blog, Star Waves, Splash, Action Comics, Wild Trails (wood plank typeface), Tiki Club (dingbats), Bad Striped (sketched face), Come With Me (paint drip face), Famous Oldies (textured face), Girly Toons (dingbats), Eshop Advert, Full Pack 2025, Dickson's Tale (a great grungy caps face), Hand Typewriter, Campus Relief (athletic lettering), ZalienZ (dingbats), Manga Style (oriental brush), Journal du Soir (letterpress emulation), Royal Delight (3d sketched face), Gothix Fate, Lettrisme (a letterpress ransom note font), NYC Zone 123 (graffiti face), Tedz (teddy bear dingbats), Merry Xmas, Last Day On Earth (textured typeface).
Dafont link. [Google]
Danish designer of the free athletic lettering font College Slab (2009-2010), which is an extension of an earlier face by Matthew Welch by the same name. [Google]
Impacto Laser (was: SuperFlexia)
Impacto Laser is a type and design group in Caracas, Venezuela headed by J. Campos, Felix Molina and Yorlmar Campos (b. 1976). Yorlmar designed RNS Underwood (2010, Western face), RNS Bobo Dylan (2007, art deco headline), RNS Baruta Black (2004, fat display face based on the Letraset Frankfurter font from 1974), RNS Round Stencil (2011), RNS Cochinilla (2011, avant garde), RNS Camelia (2009), RNS-TNT (2003, counterless and octagonal), and RNS Serial (2003, fat octagonal sports T-shirt font). All fonts are free.
Alternate URL. Another URL. Old URL called SuperFlexia. [Google]
Ingrimayne Type (was: The Bovine Rebellion)
Ingrimayne Type was established in 1988 by Robert Schenk to sell his fonts via the web and via CDs such as the No-Hype Type CD (2500 typefaces in trueType and PostScript, with mostly original typefaces). Robert Schenk (b. 1946, Minnesota) lives in Rensselaer, IN. Before Ingrimayne, Schenk's type was distributed by Wayzata Technology. Free fonts at his site included Red Letter, Zirkle, Sallonext, Zarrow, Serpent.
Specimen book. Alternate URL.
Dingbat fonts: XPhyngern (1990, pointing fingers), XPointedDesert and XSimpleHands (1994, more fists), Schneeflaken (two snow fonts, now available as XSchneeFlaken), ComputerBugz (nice butterflies, now available as XCompuTerBuggz), Galaxies (around the theme of the sun and stars), GlitzyFlash (1990), Grandecort (1994), LeakOrLeach (1995), Baumfuss (1990), LeafMeAlone (leaves), StarsAndStripes, StarPieces, Fingers, SimpleHands, PointedDesert, IngyDing (1996, 3 dingbat fonts in the style of Zapf Dingbats; in 2010 overhauled into one 1400-ornament monster face, Ingy Ding MCD, containing smilies, arrows, Zapfian ornaments, dice, chess pieces, fists, weather dingbats, and so forth), IngyDingLeftovers.
A list of fonts:
- A: Aabced-Bold-Italic, Aabced-Bold, Aabced-Italic, Aabced-Regular, Aabced, AabcedBold, AabcedBoldItalic, AabcedExtraBold, AabcedItalic, AabcedRoman, AabcedXBold-Bold, AabcedXBold, Abagail-Regular, AbagailJackson, AccruedInterest, AcornSwash-Regular, AcornSwash, AcornSwashAltern-Regular, AcornSwashAltern, AcornSwashRoman, Accrued Interest, Albert Betenbuch (blackletter), AlbertBetenbuchExtrude, AllSmiles, AmericanMorseCodeIT, AnarckWarp, Anarckhie, AnarckhieBold, AnarckhieBoldItalic, AnarckhieDecayed, AnarckhieItalic, AnarckhieJiggled, AnarckhieRagged, AnarckhieShadow, AndrewAndreasBold, AndrewAndreasPlain, AndrewAndreasXBold, Andrew Andy College (athletic lettering), AndrewAndyKactus, AndrewAndyStencil, AndrewAndyStencilBold, AndyEight, AntsyPantsy, ArgentBobSquish, Argenta, ArgentaBobbWig, ArgentaBobbed, ArgentaBold, ArgentabObbed, Asterx-Regular, Asterx, Auldroon-Regular, Auldroon (blackletter), AndrewAndyKactus, AntsyPantsy.
- B: Baker Half (2004, an experimental hexagonally designed family), Balboat-Regular, BalboatBold, BalboatPlain, Barefoot, BaumSquiggle, Baumfuss-Regular, Baumfuss, BaumfussTwo-Regular, BaumfussTwo, BearButteTBold, BearButteTBoldItalic, BearButteTItalic, BearButteTPlain, BearButteTSpecial, BeastlyFont, Bene, BeneCryptExtrude, BeneCryptine-Regular, BeneCryptine (blackletter), BeneCryptineDistorted, BeneScriptine-Regular, BeneScriptine (blackletter), BetterEuroika, BetterEuroikaBold, BetterEuroikaBoldItalic, BetterEuroikaHybrid, BetterEuroikaHybridBold, BetterEuroikaItalic, BetterIngriana, BetterIngrianaBold, BetterIngrianaBoldItalic, BetterIngrianaHybrid, BetterIngrianaHybridBold, BetterIngrianaItalic, BetterKamp, BetterKampBold, BetterKampBoldItalic, BetterKampItalic, BetterTypeRightBold, BetterTypeRightBoldItalic, BetterTypeRightItalic, BetterTypeRightMedium, BetterTypeRightPlain, BetterTypeRightThin, BetterTypeRightThinItalic, BetterTypeRiteSpec, BetterTypeRiteSpecBold, Big-Regular, BigBottom, Bigtop-Regular, Bigtop, Bilevel, BiteOfApple, Bizaro, BizaroRES, Blockboys, Bluster Left, BobsExtraPictures, BobsStandardChess, Bouncer, Bowling, BringInTheFrowns, Brrrrr-Regular, Brrrrr, BuggyFont, BumberShoot.
- C: Cennerik-Bold, Cennerik-Regular, Cennerik, CennerikBold, CennerikEBold, CennerikExtraBold, CennerikPlain, CennerikSpiked, CennerikXBold-Bold, ChainLetterOne, ChainLetterTwo, CheckMateRES, ChessNut, ChessNutTwo, Chessterton, ChesstertonTwo, Circlet, CoffeeMug, CompassOne, CompuTerBuggz, ConcavWarp, ConcavexCaps, ConcavexCapsWave, ConcavexStepper, CoughingNails, Court-Regular, CourtGesture, CourtJesterFrizzy, CrippledFont, CuthbMangle, CuthbeNick, Cuthbert.
- D: DavidBurry, DavidFarewell, DavidFarewellBold, David Farewell Stencil, Dear John, Demotte-Bold, Demotte-Regular, Demotte, DemotteBold, DemotteWarp, Dinner-Regular, Dinner, Dottie, DrivEddie, Dschoyphul.
- E: EdsDream, EdwardEdwinBold, EdwardEdwinPlain (1994, copperplate script), Eldroon, Erkball, ErkballBold, Euroika-Bold-Italic, Euroika-Bold, Euroika-Italic, Euroika-Regular, EuroikaBold, EuroikaBoldItalic, EuroikaItalic, EuroikaKamp, EuroikaKampBold, EuroikaKampBoldItalic, EuroikaKampItalic, EuroikaRoman, Euroika, Eyebel, EyebelBold, EyebelRuff.
- F: FansiPensle (1990, connected signage script), FansiPensleBold, FansiPenslePlain, FansiPensleTwo, FansiPensleTwoBold (1990), FansiPensleTwoPlain, Febdrei, FebdreiBold, Federhozen-Bold-Italic, Federhozen-Italic, Federhozen-Regular, Federhozen, FederhozenBold, FederhozenBoldItalic, FederhozenItalic, FederhozenPlain, FeggoliteDancing, FeggoliteDancingItalic, FeggoliteHatched, FeggoliteKeyed, FeggoliteMonoBold, FeggoliteMonoPlain, FeggoliteRuffled, Fezdaz, Fishhook, FiveOhOne, FiveOhTwo, FlagDayFour, FlagDayOne, FlagDayThree, FlagDayTwo, Fly High, FlyHighBold, FlyHighBoldItalic, FlyHighItalic, ForTheBirds, FourJuly, FourJulyG, FourJulyH, Framo-Regular.
- G: GLitzy, GLitzyBarbed, GLitzyPlain-Regular, GLitzyStripe, GLitzyVStriped, Galexica-Bold-Italic, Galexica-Bold, Galexica-Italic, Galexica-Regular, Galexica, GalexicaBold, GalexicaBoldItalic, GalexicaExtraBold, GalexicaItalic, GalexicaMono-Bold, GalexicaMono-Regular, GalexicaMono, GalexicaMonoBold, GalexicaMonoPlain, GalexicaPlain, GalexicaXBold-Bold, GlitzyCurl-Regular, GlitzyCurl, GlitzyFlash-Regular, GlitzyFlash, GlitzyJewel-Regular, GlitzyJewel, Gothamburg (blackletter), GothamburgBold, GothamburgShadowed, GothicHorror, GothicRock, GranCanaries, GrancMitSripes, GrandecortBold, GrandecortHoly, GrandecortMedium, GrandecortShadow, GretchenHelloBold, GretchenHelloPlain, Grundee.
- H: Hammered, HandanaBold, HandanaPlain, HandmadeFont, HeartMatrixed, Hermainita, HermainitaBold, HermainitaPlain, HeyPumkin, HippityDippityBold, HippityDippityInline, HippityDippityPlain.
- I: IanSegoe, IggoliteMono, IngBurried, IngDingLeftover, Ingone, IngoneSaw, IngoneShadow, IngrianEuroikHybrid, IngrianEuroikHybridBold, IngrianEuroikaH, IngrianEuroikaHBold, IngrianEuroikaHBoldItalic, IngrianEuroikaHItalic, Ingriana, IngrianaBold, IngrianaBoldItalic, IngrianaCasual, IngrianaCasualBold, IngrianaCasualBoldItalic, IngrianaCasualItalic, IngrianaCasualPlain, IngrianaExtraBold, IngrianaItalic, IngrianaPlain, IngyArrows, IngyArrowsTwo, IngyDingThree, IngyDings, InsideLetters, InternationalMorseCodeIT, IrritationOne, IrritationTwo.
- J: JabcedHy, JabcedHyBold, JabcedHyBoldItalic, JabcedHyItalic, JasperSqueeze, JasperSqueezeBold, JasperSqueezeBoldItalic, JasperSqueezeEB, JasperSqueezeEBItalic, JasperSqueezeItalic, JenneriCurved, Jennerik, JennerikBold, JennerikExtraBold, JennerikInfml-Bold, JennerikInfml, JennerikInfmlBold, JennerikInfmlExtraBold, JennerikInfmlPlain, JennerikInfmlXBold, JennerikRoman, Jester, JesterRES (Tuscan), JesterTwo (Tuscan), Jestres, JetJanBoldItalicGray, JetJaneButton, JetJaneMonoBold, JetJaneMonoBoldItalic, JetJaneMonoCapsBold, JetJaneMonoCapsPlain, JetJaneMonoCapsThin, JetJaneMonoItalic, JetJaneMonoPlain, JetJaneMonoThinBook, JetJaneMonoThinItalic.
- K: KampFriendshipBold, KampFriendshipBoldItalic, KampFriendshipItalic, KampFriendshipPlain, KampIngrianaH, KampIngrianaHBold, KampIngrianaHBoldItalic, KampIngrianaHItalic, KampIngrianaHybrid, KampIngrianaHybridBold, KampRipple, Karlisbad, KiddyChessFont, KlipJoint, Knaudens-Regular, Knaudens, Kneebls, KneeblsBold, KneeblsExtruded, KneeblsPlain, KneeblsRuffled, KneeblsThin, KnewFont, KnewFontBold, KnewFontJagged, KnewFontPlain, KnewFontWaisted, KnewFontWaistedBold, KnightMares, KolSpotted, KolStriped, KolkFizzy, Kolkman-Bold, KolkmanDimly, KolkmanGray, KolkmanShatter, KolkmanStriped, Kwersity, KwersityBold, KwersityWider, KwersityWiderBold, Kwodsity, KyhotaBarbed, KyhotaOne, KyhotaTwo.
- L: LaserTrain, LaserTrainBold, LastBigFling, LastBigFlingBold, LastMinuteChess, Laudens, LeakorLeach, LeakorLeachLeft, LeefMeAlone, LeefMeAloneHoles, LeekorLeech, Letrinth, LetterTrain-Regular, LetterTrain, LetterTrainBold, LetterTrainBoldItalic, LetterTrainItalic, LetterTrainPlain, Lettergical (1994, blackletter with Lombardic capitals), LettergicalWave, LetunicalBold, LetunicalInline, LetunicalNormal, LetunicalShadow, LetunicalWarp, Library-Italic, Library-Regular, Life After College (2008, athletic lettering family), LineDrive, LineDriveBold, LineDriveOutlined, LineDrivePlain, LineDriveShadow.
- M: MITuscan, MMCheckered, MMDrawings, MMPattern, Mangaled, Masheen (1990, octagonal font), MasheenBold, MasheenConvicted, MasheenFlag, MasheenIIID, MasheenOutlined, MatthewTwo, MattsFastFont, MedicineShelf, MedievalGunslinger, MedievalGunslingerShadow, Minimalist-Regular, Minimalist, Minniesoda, MinniesodaBold, Modsten-Bold, Modsten-Regular, Modsten (stencil, 1990), ModstenBold, ModstenRoman, MoreTexture, MousyFont, MushmellowBold, MushmellowCactus, MushmellowOutline, MushmellowPlain, MuskitosCaps, MuskitosCapsShadDown, Myhota, MyhotaBarbed, MyhotaBold, MyhotaHatched, MyhotaHatchedBold, MyhotaPlain, MyhotaWithSpikes.
- N: NailsNStaples, NairobiNormal, NeedALilly, NerdishHex, NerdishHexBold, Neu Altisch (blackletter), NeuAltischBold, NeuAltischGray, NeuAltischPlain, NeuAltischShadLeft, NeuAltischShadow, NeuAltischWormEaten, NeuropolMedium, NewLaudens, NewLibrary, NewLibraryItalic, NewNerdShadowed, NewNerdishBold, NewNerdishPlain, NewNerdishThin, NoPainRight, NoPainRightBold, NopainLeft, NopainLeftBold.
- O: OakParkAve, OakParkAvePlain, OakParkBlvdPlain, OakParkExtruded, OakParkSpeckled, OakParkSquaRe, OakParkZiggy, OakParksTripped, Old Harold Ree (1992, a modification of PhederFract, which was a calligraphic fraktur face also by Schenk), OldHaroldReeBold, OldHaroldReePlain, Onyon (1997).
- P: PastedWarp, PattyDay, PawnShop, Pedestrian, PencilFat, PencilIn, PencilOut, PensleCaligraf-Bold, PensleCaligraf-Regular, PensleCaligraf, PensleCaligrafBold, PensleCaligrafPlain, PeterPierreBold, PeterPierreCondensed, PeterPierrePlain, PeterPierreXBold, Pheder Frack (blackletter), PhederFrackBold, PhederFrackDtsh, PhederFrackDtshBold, PhederFrackDtshThin, PhederFrackPlain, PhederFrackShadowed, PhederFrackThin, PhrackCack, PhrackSle, PhrackSleBold, PhrackSlePlain, Phraxtured (blackletter), PhraxturedDeutsch, PhraxturedPlain, PhraxturedShadowed, Phyngern, Pigknot, PigknotBold, PlainPensle, PlainPensleBold, PlainPensleBoldItalic, PlainPensleItalic, PlainPenslePlain, PlainPensleXBold, PlainPensleXBoldItalic, Porker, PorkerGrey, PutMyFootDown, Pzytupid.
- Q: Qualettee, QualetteeBold, QualetteeMedium, Quatsity, Quidic, QuidicHatched, QuidicHoley, QuidicItalic, QuidicRoman, QuidicShotUp, Quirtly, Qwatick (1992), QwatickBold, QwatickPlacard.
- R: Ranger (1996, octagonal), RangerWider, Rankensteen, Rataczak-Regular, RataczakBold, RataczakBoldItalic, RataczakCandied, RataczakCondItalic, RataczakCondPlain, RataczakExtraBold, RataczakItalic, RataczakRoman, RataczakSwash, Rauchens, Razephu, Red-Regular, RedLetter, Renslaer, RoomingHouse, Rosary, RosaryBold, RoundUp, RoundUpBold, RoundUpShadow, RoundWhy, RoundWhyBold, RummageSaleOne, Rumpled, RundigPencilBold, RundigPencilMedium, RundigPencilNormal, Rundigsburg (1994), RundigsburgBold, RundigsburgMedium, RundigsburgPlain, RundigsburgShadowLeft, RundigsburgShadowRight.
- S: SafetyPinned, Salloon, SalloonAStripe, SalloonCracked, SalloonHStripe, SalloonStripeBottom, SalloonStripeEnds, SalloonStripeMiddle, SalloonStriped, Saloon-Regular, SaloonExt, SaloonFrilled, Sansville, SansvilleBold, SarahfSlob, SarahfSlobItalic, SchneeFlaken, SchneeFlakenTwo, Screwged, Sdrawkcab-Regular, Sdrawkcab, Seasick, SeasickBold, SeasickMirror, SeasickMirrorBold, SeasonsGreetings, SeederChess, SeederChessSmall, Sergury, Serpent-Regular, ShadyCharacters, ShirlyUJest, SimpleChessFont, Sirpent, Skagwae, SkagwaeMono, Skigway, SkwareDots, SlimpiSquares, SmokeHausShadow, SmokeHaus (1998), SmokeHouseRough, SmokeHouseShatter, SmokeHouseWave, Spicandspan, SquiggleRES, SquiggleRESBold, Stamper, Substance, SusiScript, SusiScriptBold, SusiScriptPlain, Swanville-Regular, Swanville, Swirlity, SwirlityBold, SwirlityScript, SwirlityText.
- T: Tescellations (2012), Tessie Dingies (2012), TOCinRings, TRGrunge, Tacky (2005), Talloween, TapedUp, Teapot (1999), Teethee, TexturesOne, TiedUp, Tieroh, TierohBold, TierohSans, TierohSansBold, Tinkerer, TiredOfCourier, TiredOfCourierBold, TiredOfCourierBoldItalic, TiredOfCourierItalic, TiredOfCourierPlain, TiredOfCourierThin, TiredOfCourierThinItalic, ToothBrush, TootsieBold, TuskcandyBold, TuskcandyInline, TuskcandyPlain, Twigglee-Regular, Twigglee (1990, inspired by the hand lettering on the plates in a 19th century book on ornaments by Owen Jones), TwiggleeBold, TwiggleePlain, TwiggleeWarped, TwoTonedStoned.
- U: UUeirdieBold, UUeirdieRoman, UUeirdieWarp, Unikled, UnikledBold, UnikledPlain, UnikledSpotted, UnivoxAtomLight, UpsideDown, UrbanScrawl.
- V: ValManGal, Valenteena, ValenteenaBroken, ValentinaContour, Valentine-Regular, Valgal, ValgalBold, Vglee, VunderScriptBold, VunderScriptPlain.
- W: WalcomeOne, WalcomeOneBold, Watchmaker, WatchmakerBold, WaterCloset, WaterWorksCaps (1992), WaterWorksCaps-Bold, WaterWorksCaps-Regular, WaterWorksCapsBold, WaterWorksCapsPlain, WeirdChessFont, Wetetque (1991, an all caps multiline family), WetetqueBold, WetetquePlain (1991), Whichit, WhichitBold, WhichitTwo, WhichitTwoBold, WrenchedLetters, WurstCactus, WurstHassen, WurstchenDotted, WurstchenOutlined, WurstchenSplatted, WyomingMacroni, WyomingMacroniPegged, WyomingMacroniShadRight, WyomingMacroniShadowed, Wyoming Pastad (1994, Western slab face), WyomingPastadShadLeft, WyomingPastadShadowed, WyomingSpaghettiBold, WyomingSpaghettiPlain, Wyoming Strudel (Far West type).
- X: XBobsExtraPictures, XBobsStandardChess, XChessNut, XChessNutTwo, XChesstertonTwo, XCompuTerBuggz, XGalaxies, XGalaxyOne, XIngDingLeftover, XIngyArrows, XIngyArrowsBetween, XIngyArrowsTwo, XIngyDingIII, XIngyDingTwo, XIngyDings, XInterntnlMorseCodeIT, XKiddyChessFont, XKnightMares, XLaserTrainBold, XLaserTrainPlain, XLastMinuteChess, XLeef Me Alone (leaf dingbats), XMMCheckered, XMMDrawings, XMMPattern, XMattsAnimalsOne, XMoreTexture, XPatColumRow, XPatCzeckerz, XPawnShop, XPhyngern (fists), XPointedDesert, XRoomingHouse, XSchneeFlaken (1995), XSchneeFlaken, XSchneeFlakenTwo, XSeederChess, XSeederChessSmall, XSimpleHands, XStarPieces, XStarsAndStripesOne, XStarsAndStripesTwo, XStellaStern, XStellaSternBright, XSternStellaNight, XTexturesOne, Xahosch, Xaltid, XaltidBold, XaltidPlain. The X fonts are predominantly dingbats.
- Y: YahoschBold, YahoschMedium, YahoschPlain, YahoschWormy, YngreEBStripe, Yngreena, YngreenaBold, YngreenaBoldItalic, YngreenaExtraBold, YngreenaItalic, YngreenaPlain, Youbee, YoubeeBold, YoubeeBoldItalic, YoubeeItalic, YoubeeShadow.
- Z: Zarrow-Regular, Zarrow, ZcriptBold, ZcriptPlain, Zebraw, ZebrawOS, ZimpleBlack, ZirkStressed, ZirkleOne-Bold, ZirkleOne-Regular, ZirkleOne, ZirkleOneBold, ZirkleOneRoman, ZumbelsburgBold, Zumbelsburg (blackletter, 1996).
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link.
View Robert Schenk's typefaces. View Ingrimayne's typeface library. [Google]
Prolific designer of these faces at FontStruct in 2008: Mausoleum, Quarantino, Strontium (heavy octagonal), Redactor (inline; athletic lettering), Coppertones, Copperthief Gothic, Disarticulate, Adamantine, Spindlery, Thalamicus, Monolog, Abstruction, Banned Rotunda, Less Rotunda, Blabbermouth, Hackney, Circumfence, Circle Play, Outlandish, Cannibaal, Valedictory, Hegemony, Sansibal, Shoptima, Toobatu, Dwarven, Evonce, Magog, Fuego, Empyreus, Upscale, Quickie, Svengali, Amanuensis (hairline), Whitechapel, Interzone, Annexia, Mugwump, Misterioso, Slitcom, Mud Indigo, Integer, Optimist, Interim, Tredd (athletic lettering face), Brilliant Corners, Palimpsest, Trudge Fix, Plangent Shaven, Plain James Bond, Spikeful, Plain James, Portia, Juliette, Rotunda One, Dystopian, Fed Up, Mag Lev, Eensy, Simpatico, Afterburn, Fongeray, Less-Sirvere, Levio-sah, Oddity-oldstyles, Planar-light, Plangent, Plangent-semi-serif, Plangent-shaven, Prester-John, Spin Doctrine, Tabula, X-Sirvere, abricado, aubrey, chunki-phat, chunki-slim, chunki, cold-shoulders, emerald-city, epistrophy, experiment, flawa-pawa, fongamatah, gematria-experiment1, gematria, malinki, massif, modnera, nutty-slab, okey-dokey, patina, planar-book, planar, plangent, simplex-b, slantfest, slinky, solidad, solitude, souvlaki, space-oddity, spin-doctrine, splayful, too-much-caffeine, travelclock-alt, travelclock, tredd, trudge-fix, Zinzan (blocky headline face), Sir Vere (haha---he writes A Bodoni that won't take its meds; still, a great-looking simulation of Bodoni's balls), More Sirvere and Less Sirvere (derived from Sir Vere), Ugly Beauty, Tito Puente, Plain James Bold (octagonal), and First Sampler.
Faces from 2009: Infrastruct Hairline, Untag, Scansion, Manganesi, Curly Queues, Culdeslack, Clerestory, Snurkle, Arabica, Mishmash, Processor, Insomnia, Spatial Test, Furtiva, Wedgistry, Semiotica, Prince Edward, Imprimatur, Reverie, Spikenard (octagonal), Brusque (heavy slab serif), Flikki Crude, Crudenza, Arvid, Makizmo (black mechanical), Purdy, Whaddya, Timaru, jehoshophat, Octane, Purdy, spikenard, Slabba Dabba Doo, Attempa, Meshugge, Shvoss, Ruffian, Leterodoxi, Anuva, Jehoshophat, Octane, Tagliana (typewriter style), Mocktura (fat octagonal), Pustulate, Fuego, Souvlaki, Palimpsest, Onsquared (about which he writes Please excuse the X. He badly needs to go for a pee), Octavia (octagonal art deco face), Queasy Peasy, Slubgob, Squibnib, Micro Splotchika, Mixter (octagonal), Odile, Transept.
Typefaces from 2010: Ropey Sans, Compositor, Dooble Trouble, Flopsical, Dulcet, Sprig Latin, Flux, Yabadaba, Holdem (Western style), Elvira (octagonal), Adhoc, Little Schema, Fiddledy-Dee, Triplecheck, Rusty Blades, Crudenza, Zingaling (kitchen tile), Ornery, Strictly Boardroom, Serif Test, Merenge, Ugly Sister, Cholestera (heavy mechanical face), Prefab.
Production in 2011: Albedo (Egyptian), Candyrock Mountain, Cooperite (Cooper Black relative), Ran Tan, Rangitoto (fat, almost-blackletter face), This Little Piggy, Boxica (an angry angular face), Carpathian (almost blackletter), Kinnybuns (almost art deco), Wallachia (stencil blackletter), Ubend (organic, almost LED face), Quickstep, Basket Case, Flik Flack, Effigy, Laguna, Barbary.
Typefaces from 2012: Vertical Hold, Heresy Arcfun (a play on positive and negative spaces), Morphology (wide elliptical display face), Sausinges. P>Typefaces from 2013: Chinoiserie. [Google]
James L. DeVries
Tucson, AZ-based designer of Western Normal (1990), and of Varsity (1989-1990). He also designed the shareware Dot Matrix Font.
Dafont link. [Google]
Jason L. Arthur
[Ground Control (was: Penny Font Foundry, or: Pennyzine)]
Buffalo, NY-based creator of the logotype face NHL (2013). It includes the logos of all the NHL teams. He also made Kenan&Kel (2013, cartoon font), Merrie Melodies (2013, cartoon font), Zany Sharp (2013), American Dad (2013), Wrestle Mania (2013), Survivor Series (2013), Hogan Mania (2013, gothic), Wrist Tat (2013, spurred constructivist), Destroy Humans (2013, grunge), NHL Wild (2013), Bang 4 Ya Buck (2013, grungy stencil), WWE Raw (2013), Army Rust (2013, a grungy military stencil face), Bad Grunge (2013), NHL Bruins (2013), NHL Flames (2013), NHL Ducks (2013), Royal Rumble (2013, stencil face), Write It Right (2013, fat finger typeface), Exp Font (2013, stencil), NHL Sabres (2013), Battleground (2013), Power Rangers (2013), Papa Grape (2013, hand-printed), How Bout That, EZ Sharpz (2013, angular and octagonal), Payback (2013), High Def (2013, sci-fi), Ridiculousness (2013), Rusto (2013, grunge) and We Wrestle (2013, a scratchy typeface).
Dafont link. [Google]
Italian company which offers a free 500-set font package, of which five were made by Lecce, Italy-based Jecko (b. 1990), according to their web site: Jecko Legacy, JD LCD Rounded, JD Familla, JD Stars, JD Rings.
FontStructor who designed the dot matrix face JD LCD Rounded (2011).
Fontspace has several fonts made in 2011: JD LED 3 (dot matrix face), JD Scarabeo (white on black face for Scrabble tiles, +Light), JD Erica Regular (octagonal), Jecko Legacy, JD Jessica Regular (dot matrix face), JD Garden Regular (octagonal outline face), JD LCD Rounded, JD Eugeni (octagonal, white-on-black), JD Gina Regular, JD Star Regular, JD Rings Regular, and JD Nadia Regular, JD Brush, JD Stefania, JD Jerk, JD Hands, JD LED3 (dot matrix face), JD Familla, JD Treasure (handprinted), JD Rossella (handprinted), JD Fabiola (handprinted), JD Techno (handprinted), JD Teresa (handprinted), JD Lecce (octagonal), JD Eugenia (white on black), JD Code (octagonal), JD Stars.
Fonts from 2012: JD Lucrezia, JD Digital Regular.
Fonts made in 2013: JD Melted, JD Carnival, JD Royal, JD Tuline (bilined), JD Digisquare (textured typeface), JD Glare, JD Pictura, JD Talk (a multiline typeface), JD Rosaria, JD LED 7, JD Vega, JD Teresa, JD Stefania, JD Gina (octagonal), JD Arrow Up, JD drip, JD LED 5, JD Wave, JD Fynx, JD Tyr, JD Fantasy (stitched font), JD Neos (octagonal).
Abstract Fonts link. Fontspace link. Dafont link. FontStruct link. [Google]
Prolific type designer in Florida, b. 1952. His fonts were originally free and consisted largely of dingbats. Around 2005 he went commercial, and now sells his work (over 350 fonts as of 2009) via MyFonts. He has branched out into several font styles, with a soft spot for stencil fonts, fonts for signage, and fonts for advertising. Born in New York, his family moved to Florida in 1963, where he has been ever since. An interview. Alternate URL. Yet another URL with his early free fonts.
My pages on him.
Fontsy link. Picture. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. MyFonts link. Klingspor link. [Google]
[Jeff Levine: Athletic lettering faces]
Jeff Levine: Athletic lettering faces
Athletic lettering typefaces by Jeff Levine: Base Runner JNL (2008), Ebbets JNL (2009), Forward Passed JNL (2007), Hayfork JNL (2011, based on wood type sans faces from the 1880s), Home Field JNL (2010, outline), Return Pass JNL (2007), Rushing Pass JNL (2007), Sporting Chance JNL (2011), Sporting Life JNL (2006), Sports Jock JNL (2013), Sports Play JNL (2012), Stadium JNL (2011), All Pro JNL (2009). [Google]
Jeremy Tenison-Woods is a graphic designer in Napier, NZ. He offers his fonts through his Jeremy Woods foundry. This includes the grunge face Free Money (2010) and the techno family Foxxy (2012, +Outline, an athletic lettering version).
On Dafont, paint Bucket (2012), Candy Coloured Clown (2012), Free Money (2010) and Foxxy (2011) are free.
Klingspor link. FontM link. Twitter link. [Google]
Jesse M. Ragan
Originally from North Carolina (b. 1979), Jesse Ragan studied type design at Rhode Island School of Design. After college, Jesse designed typefaces at Hoefler&Frere-Jones, where he had a hand in Gotham, Archer, and several other families. Since 2005, he has worked independently in Brooklyn, developing typefaces and lettering for a variety of clients. His work can be found at Font Bureau, House Industries, and Darden Studio. He also teaches typeface design at Pratt Institute and Cooper Union. He won an award at Bukvaraz 2001 for Gotham, co-designed with Jonathan Hoefler and Tobias Frere-Jones.
- Afri Sans (2011). A custom typeface for the Museum for African Art in Manhattan.
- Athenian Extended (2011). By Matteo Bologna and Jesse Ragan. This "playfully peculiar face" (their words) was custom designed for Typography 32, the annual of the Type Directors Club. A revival of the 19th century classic Athenian.
- Cedar. An angular typeface designed during his studies at RISD.
- Epiphany (2001). A hookish face.
- Export (2012). A vernacular typeface based on signage seen in New York's Chinatown.
- Hoefler & Frere-Jones, 2001-2005. Assistance with the production of several typefaces at HFJ: As a full-time typeface designer for Hoefler & Frere-Jones from 2001 to 2005, I designed a full type family for Smirnoff Vodka (art directed by J. Walter Thompson and H&FJ). Working closely with Tobias Frere-Jones and Jonathan Hoefler on a number of other typefaces, I designed bits and pieces such as hairline weights, Italics, and news grades. These include Mercury, Chronicle, Hoefler Titling, Sentinel, Surveyor (unreleased), Gotham, and Archer (a type family done for Martha Stewart Living and designed with Hoefler and Frere-Jones).
- Omnes (2006). A monowidth rounded sans designed by Joshua Darden. Ragan assisted in the production and design process.
- Ruzicka Collection. Digital versions of the alphabets shown in Rudolf Ruzicka's 1968 portfolio Studies in Type Design.
- Showcard Stunt (2008). Lower case of a comic book/signage face originally drawn by Ken Barber, House Industries. Inspiration from Dom Casual (1950s, Peter Dombrezian).
- Smirnoff (2003). A custom face commissioned by J. Walter Thompson for Smirnoff.
- The Bruins (2006). An athletic lettering typeface commissioned by Reebok for The Boston Bruins in 2007-2008.
- USA Today Condensed (2012). He writes: I designed this headline typeface for the dramatic relaunch of USA TODAY, which was overseen by Wolff Olins. The condensed style complements the paper's proprietary version of Futura, but without resorting to the familiar elliptical shapes of Futura Condensed.
- V Magazine (2011). A condensed high-contrast fashion mag headline face done for V Magazine.
- Carlstedt Script (2013, with Ben Kiel: a custom signage typeface for Aldo Shoes based on the handwriting of Cecilia Carlstedt).
Interview. Behance link. [Google]
[Jason L. Arthur]
American designer (b. 1975) located in St. Albans, WV. Home page. Creator of Rough Typewriter (2008) in three styles. He also made Shake And Bake (2008, an angular comic book style face), Clementine (2008, comic book style family), JaysFX, Tooney Loons (2009), Jibbajabba (2008, a hand-printed comic book style family) and Fatcat (2008, virile Bank Gothic style family).
In 2009, under the name JibbaJabba Fonts, all fonts were given a new opentype dress, so at that point, we have: Clementine (comic book style family), JaySFX, Rough_Typewriter, ShakeAndBake, TooneyLoons, jibbajabba.
Typefaces from 2013: Blockem Sockem (athletic lettering), Bloody Impact (grungified Impact), Blocktastic, Zhukov Zippo.
Dafont link. Fontsy link. Another Fontsy link. [Google]
John J. Palmer
[Palmer and Rey]
Type designer whose fonts are available at the Publishers Warehouse: Aspen, Blackhawk (1991, Western), Russian, School Days (athletic lettering), StrikeOut, TymesLittleCaps, Winter Park.
Fontspace link. Dafont link, where one can download Blackhawk. [Google]
John Thai ("Thaipografik") is located in Toronto, where he practices design and typography. Behance link. His fonts from 2009: Farsity (athletic numbering face), FortyFive (counterless, octagonal). [Google]
José Antonio Garrido Izquierdo
FontStructor who made these fonts in 2009-2010: Goshawk-Military-Inverse (stencil face), Goshawk-Military (stencil face), Mojo-Inlay, Mojo-Raised, Mojo, Ring Around, Ethereal, Oracle (pixel face), Tic Tax (pixel face), Diva. In 2011, he made Fairytale, Goshawk (athletic lettering), Groovy, Goshawk Military Stencil, Goshawk Inverse, Dirty Deeds (blackletter based on the AC/DC logo), Razz, Razzle Dazzle, Orbis (circle and arc face). [Google]
Canadian creator (b. Regina, SK) of the free faces Subway Novella (2011, grunge), Death From Above (2011, grunge), My Girl is Retro (2011, grunge), Eclipse (2011, shadow face), Chemical Reaction (2011, grunge), Shotgun Wedding (2011, grunge), Smoke in the Woods (2011, grunge), Indie Press (2011, texture face), Fat Cat (2011), Bluprint (2011), Square Flo (2011), Serial Publication (2011, grunge), Criminology (2011, textured face), Yoghurt (2011, curly script), Crashed Out (2011, textured face), Scribble Box (2011, sketched), Demento (2011), Verbal Diarrhea (2011), Ol' Cowboy (2011, grunge), Urban Jungle (2011, grungy caps-only face), Overcast Skies (2011, grunge), Good Morning Afternoon (2011) and Seedy Motel (2011). He also made the hand-printed Western Swagger (2011), the grungy mural typeface family Media Blackout (2011), the white on black face All Ages (2011), In The Garden (2011), Past Due (2011, didone grunge), and the drippy Rainy Day Vandal (2011).
Commercial typefaces: Pewter (2012), Varsity Playbook (2012, sketched), Subway Novella (2012).
Typefaces made in 2012: This Line-Up (grungy), None Shall Pass (grungy stencil), Black Asylum (horror movie grunge), Jonze (rubber stamp grunge), Main Event (grunge), Pewter, Black Asylum (grunge), Transit Diplay (noisy), Muddy Tractor, Load up on guns (grunge), Tragic Vision (grunge), Closure, Rocky Shore (grunge), Kraft Nine, Hooverville (copperplate/engraved typeface), Misery Loves Company, All Ages (grunge), By The Throat (scribbly, fat), Faded Memory, Varsity Playbook, Headliner No. 45 (a heavy poster face), Dro (another poster face), Type Xero (texture face), The Biz (grunge), Scorched Earth, Gunslinger (grungy wood type), Friday Night Lights (athletic lettering), Noises in the Attic (grunge), Jonze and Jonzing (grungy poster face in the style of Veneer).
Typefaces made in 2013: Misdemeanor (grungy stencil), Intaglio (grunge), Outliner No 45.
Dafont link. Home page. Fontspace link. [Google]
Born in Missouri in 1979, Kimberly moved first to Texas and later (in 2007) to China, and most recently, to Orlando, FL. She made some free fonts (often handwriting styles), and also ran a personal handwriting font service [those fonts have names that start with KGD]. MyFonts link. FontSquirrel link. Home page. Fontspace link. Dafont link. Fontsy link. Abstract Fonts link. Fontspring link. Dafont link. Klingspor link. Google Web Font Directory link. Family home page. Her fonts, by year:
- 2007: The grunge faces XiaoGao, More-than-Enough, Eat More Chocolate, JoyfulJuliana (2007, and its Pro version, 2010), LoveYaLikeASister, Colourmepurple, KingcooLKC and You Are Loved (in 2009, Roger S. Nelsson completed it to You Are Loved Pro). She also made the handwriting faces Patient Paige, Promised Freedom, Xiao Gao, Complete in Him (made into a commercial Pro version by Roger S. Nelsson), Burst My Bubble (commercialized at CheapProFonts as Burst My Bubble Pro), JustMeAgainDownHere, Surrendered Heart, It Ain't Rocket Science (in 2010, Roger S. Nelsson made a Pro version at CheapProFonts), Sue-Ellen-Francisco, and the curly Jheri Curls and Tuna-and-Hot-Dogs-on-Rye.
- 2008: the handwriting faces Come Unto Me and Loved by the King.
- 2009: BattyGirl, Bina Bina, Lollipop, NeverLetGo, Scrogglet, Sunshine In My Soul, YooHaeMool, Celebrate The Day (extended by Roger S. Nelsson in 2009 to Celebrate The Day Pro), Mighty To Save, King Kool KC Pro (kid's hand; done with Roger S. Nelsson, CheapProFonts).
- 2010: Shelter Me (handwriting), Elizajane (handwriting), Written on his hands (handwriting), Contrary Mary (handprinted), Shining Like Stars (handprinted), Give You Glory, Nothing You Could Do, Who Needs Consistency, happyhanneke, Zeyada, He Formed My heart, Change Tomorrow Today, Frangipani Rose, Blocked Off, Throw My Hands Up In The Air, Indie Flower, You Wont Bring Me Down, Addis Ababa, Cedarville Pnkfun (1 Cursive, 1 Print), Swanky and Moo Moo, Husband of the Millennium, Soggy Kitten, The Truth of a Thousand Lies, Soli Deo Gloria, Annie Use Your Telescope, Waiting for the Sunrise, La Belle Aurore, Airplanes In The Night Sky Pro, Dawbing of a new day, Shadows into light (+Two), Covered by your grace, Architect's Daughter.
- 2011: A Safe Place to Fall, Shark in the Water, Architects Daughter (architectural lettering), A Year Without Rain, My Hands Are Holding You, Discover Beauty, Lavender Lime, Later Allie-gator, You Found Me, Blessings through raindrops, I missed you, Kate The Great, Pizza Is My Favorite, A Hundred Miles, Hanging by a thread, My Lucky Penny, Jar of hearts, Never grow up, My Lucky Penny, Beautiful Every Time, Never Say Never, Swanky and Moo Moo, Over the Rainbow, Sue Ellen San Francisco, Pineapple Delight, Viva La Vida, The Only Exception, Written in the stars, we are broken, The Only Exception, Brick by boring brick, She paints me blue, Beautiful every time, Jar of hearts, Dancing in the Minefields, My Hands are Holding You, You Found Me, Blessings through raindrops, Stars from our eyes, From where you are, Throw my hands up in the air, The great escape, Today I Feel (emoticons), La belle Aurore, Cedarville Cursive, Coming home, Learning to trust, Viva La Vida, Janda Siesta Sunrise, Janda Curlygirl Chunky, Janda Curlygirl Pop, Janda Sparkle and Shine, Janda Love and Rain, Janda Fabulous, Janda Capslock, Janda Siesta Sunset, Janda Snickerdoodle Serif, Janda Everyday Casual, Janda Curlygirl Serif (handprinted blackboard bold font), Janda Curlygirl Chunky, Janda Romantic, Janda Scrapgirl Dots, Janda Quick Note, Talking to the moon, Set fire to the rain, KG Shadow of the day, Just realize, Ignite the light, Love ya like a sister, Loved by the king, Give you glory, KG small town southern girl, KG Shadow of the day, Gloria Hallelujah, KG Sunny Afternoon, KG Hope for a cure, Janda Polkadot, Janda Capslock, KG June Bug, KG Fall For You, KG Luck of the Irish, KG Domo Is My Favorite, Gloria Hallelujah, KG Love You Through It (2011), KG Shadow of the Night (2011), KG Keep Your Head Up (2011), KG Dancing on the rooftop (2011), KG Party on the Rooftop (2011), KG Like A Skyscraper, KG Mulally, KG God Gave Me You, KG Les Bouquinistes de Paris (neatly handprinted), Janda Swirlygirl (curly), Janda Sparkle and Shine, Janda Lova and Rain (curly), The Great Escape, KG Legacy of Virtue, KG Sweet N Sassy, KG Legacy of Virtue, Just Realize, KG Like a skyscraper, Janda Christmas Doodles, Just Realize, Janda Everyday Casual, Janda Snickerdoodle Serif, Love Ya Like A Sister (sketch face), The Only Exception, KG Luck of the Irish, Janda Fabulous, KG God Gave Me You, KG You Wont Bring Me Down, Set Fire To The Rain, KG You Wont Bring Me Down, KG Mercy in the morning, KG Heart Doodles, KG Skinny Latte.
- Typefaces from 2012: Janda Apple Cobbler, Janda Swirly Twirly, Janda Manatee, Architect's Daughter (2012, a blueprint style typeface), Janda Polkadot (2012), Shadows Into Light (2012, architectural style: see Google Web Fonts), Never Let Go, Janda Spring Doodles, Beautiful every time, Janda scrapgirl Dots, Written in the stars, Nothing you could say, KG Ray of Sunshine, More than enough, A hundred miles, Waiting for the sunrise, Janda Safe and Sound, Janda Silly Monkey, Janda Quirkygirl (curly font), From where you are (paint brush face), KG Empire of Dirt, KG Strawberry Limeade, KG A Thousand Years, Janda Amazing Grace, Janda Happy Day, Janda Elegant Handwriting (connected script), KG Somebody that I used to know, KG Kiss me slowly (curly), KG Call me maybe, KG Two is better than one, KG Ten Thousand Reasons, KG Beautiful Ending (grunge), KG Payphone (a nice cleanly hand-printed typeface), Janda Shine Your Light On Us, KG Beautiful Ending, KG Ten Thousand Reasons (chalkboard font), KG Only Hope, KG Eyes Wide Open (connected script), KG All Things New (high-contrast script face), KG Change This Heart (monolined and informal), Janda Stylish Script, KG Be Still and Know, KG Seven Sixteen, KG This is not goodbye, Janda Someone Like You, KG One Thing, KG I Like To Move It, KG Makes You Stronger, Janda As Long As You Love Me, KG The Fighter, KG Chasing Pavements (textured typeface), KG Always a Good Time, KG Grace for Today, KG Turning Tables (brush script), KG Falling Slowly, KG One More Night, KG Attack of the Robots, KG Ways to Say Goodbye (an upright script---one of her best typefaces to date), KG Janda Truly Madly Deeply, Janda Closer To Free, Ignite The Light, Janda Cheerful Script, Janda Hide and Seek, Janda Flower Doodles (a very useful dingbat set), Janda Celebration Script (swashy script), KG What the teacher wants, KG True Colors (connect-the-dots font), KG True Colors, Janda Closer to Free (chunky script), KG How Many Times, KG Behind These Hazel Eyes, KG Lego House (monoline rounded sans), KG Covered by your grace, KG Follow you into the world, KG Dark Side, KG Part of Me (neatly printed typeface), KG Begin Again, KG Cold Coffee, KG Something To Believe In (a stamped font).
Typefaces from 2013: KG The Last Time, KG Feeling 22, Today I Feel (smilies), KG Primary Penmanship (a very clean rounded hand-printed typeface), KG Teacher Helpers (dingbats), KG Fractions (geometric dingbats), KG Flavor and Frames, KG Primary Dots (school font), KG Build A Game, KG Faith Hope and Love, KG As The Deer, KG Just Give Me A Reason, KG Girl on Fire, KG Daylight, KG I Want Crazy, KG Flavor and Flames Two, KG Flavor and Flames Three, KG Flavor and Flames Four, KG Flavor and Flames Five, KG Skinny Love, KG Traditional Fractions, KG Hard Candy, KG Alphabet Regurgitation, KG Second Chances (sketched typeface), KG Math Bar Models, KG Next to You (sketched typeface), KG Next to Me (+Sketched), KG Love Somebody, KG Beneath Your Beautiful, KG Primary Italics (school font, lined and regular), KG Wake Me Up (typewriter type), KG A Little Swag, KG Royals, KG What Does The Fox Say, KG Drops of Jupiter, KG Let Her Go, KG Why You Gotta Be So Mean, KG Tangled Up In You (sketched typeface), KG Chasing Cars, KG Melonheadz, KG Let Her Go (+outline and athletic lettering styles), KG By The Grace of God, KG Counting Stars, KG Bless Your Heart, KG christmas Trees, KG Bless Your Heart.
German designer in Recklinghausen, Germany of First Strike (2008, FontStruct) and First Strike Spaced, a grid-overlay of First Strike. Other FontStruct fonts from 2008: Canned Heat (dingbats), Guttermouth (slab serif), Guttermouth Spaced (dashed version), Guttermouth Bold, Bloc Party Outline Shadowed, BabyBaby (toy blocks), Possibly Winged Polepieces, Skylines, Canned Heat, Simplicity, Stadium, Brussels (inspired by the Atomium), Cardboarder (nice 3d face), Crazytown (a Western font, an hommage to Maurice de Bevere, creator of Lucky Luke, 1923-2001), Itallica, Orica*cut, Orica, Pavement, Moduli, Tinka, Tinka Filled, Moduli, Loreylane, FS United One, ariapenciroman (gorgeous sketched letters), babybaby, bellevue, bloc-party-outline-shadowed, brussels-contourized, elceedee, eurofiction, horrorhouse, plenum, scratch-me-if-you-can, simplicity, skylines, sophia---superlight (hairline), stadium, werkshalle (Ferrari lettering font?), schachmatt (stitching font).
In 2009, he added Terence Kill (blackletter), Cellophone, Amanerd (texture face), Drenama, Poster Classic, Midnight Diner, Sunburst, Signo, Multiverse (Basic, Striped, Alaska, Couch), Pointless Task, Broadway (dotted outline), Mostly, Terence Kill (blackletter), Pole Position (dot matrix), Antares 37 (Startrek font), Figure Collection Part 1 (dingbats), and College Pornmag.
In 2010, he made Motown Motel, Olympic Spirit (dot matrix outlined), Cyclobe Pro (octagonal), Gappy, Burtonesque.
In 2011, he FontStructed the gorgeous face Vuvuzela, Dance (dancing men), and Zapotek (elliptical face), Asgardian, Legendary (eleven movie stars).
In 2012, he created CMND (outline face) and Equinoxe.
In 2013, Christoph made the crayon font Grungarian, Histamic. [Google]
Graduate of the London College of Communication who works in Paris. His list of typefaces:
Hellofont link . [Google]
[Fontazilla (was: Psychographers)]
[Volcano Type (MAGMA)]
Designer of the Bosox (2004) athletic lettering family, just after the Boston Red Sox won the World Series.
Fontspace link. Dafont link. [Google]
Cakovec, Croatia-based designer (b. 1995) of preponderantly grunge typefaces. In 2013, he created Campus A (athletic lettering), Zebraliner, The Alistaren, Collegerion (athletic lettering face), Prestinia Pro (grungy serif face), Fast Ostrich, Funny Trip, Boro, Electric (grungy face), On The Left, Power Balloon, Heavy Bomb (grungy), Kid From Hell, Army Stamp (rough army stencil), Jump Party, Comic Type, Commy, Faster, Fati, Funny me, Hypnotize, Half Half, My Day, Totally Outline, First Day, Funny Kid, Waterline, Piranha, Fish (grunge face), Modern Sketch, Beboline (dymo label grunge), Metalic (sic), Moter (grungy outline face), Privjet, ShadowM (shadowed typeface), Old Movie, Strong Boy, Russian Line, Long Leg, Cool Day, Jungle Tree, Funny Teca, End of Era, DeLeo, Buble Muble, Morris, Funky Monkey, Leonards (a scratchy typeface), Dead John (grunge), Square Baby (grunge), Handwriter, Outline Storm, Mejiko (grungy Western font), Bird Fly, Died, Close To (grungy dymo label font).
Dafont link. Fontspace link. [Google]
A discussion on the typography of numbers on shirts, by Dutchman Sander Neijnens, a Tilburg-based Dutch graphic designer (b. Valkenswaard, 1957) who drew a character in the September 11 charity font done for FontAid II. Specializing in numbers on athletic shirts, and displeased with the sameness of the letters in classical faces like ITC Machine or Superstars, he proposes serifed numbers, which were used by the soccer team Willem II from Tilburg in 2002-2003. A new athletic number design, King III, is in the works. He created Hia (a stencil face for use on doors and fences), Streep (horizontally striped letters for fences), and Klinker (based on street tile patterns). [Google]
Chuck Davis (Palmdale, CA) is the founder of Letterhead Fonts. LHF was established in 1999. They specialize in sign and logo fonts, taking inspiration from wood type and late 19th century style typefaces.
Free fonts "Letterhead Tuscan" (handlettering), Quadrex (2006, 3d effect font), and Wal-Mart People (dingbats). Early display fonts include Esoteric (1999), Wall Dog, Double Gild, Convecta, Smalts, Splash, Lisa. His Atkinson collection has a few nice letterings: Heavy Sign Script, Eccentric French, Fancy Roman and Modern 1908 Classic (now called Cafe Nouveau). Fonts made in 2000 by Chuck Davis: LHFActionMovie LHF Bulletin Plug, LHF Classic Block, LHF Condensed French, LHF Convecta (2005, beveled face), LHF Cool Blue, LHF Crouching Tiger, LHF Def Artist, LHF Def Writer, LHF Double Gild, LHF Eccentric French Lt, LHF Esoteric, LHF Heavy French Roman, LHF Heavy Sign Script, LHF Jami (2000), LHF Letterhead Tuscan, LHF Lisa, LHF Modern 1908 Classic, LHF Quantum (2001, techno family), LHF Smalts, LHF Splash,LHF Tuscan Full Block (Western style), LHF Wall Dog, LHF Letterhead Tuscan. Fonts made in 2001 by Chuck Davis: LHF Advertisers Plug ATK, LHF Argentine Solid, LHF Boston Truckstyle, LHF Esoteric New, LHF Grants Antique, LHF Mister Kooky, LHF Mister Spooky, LHF Scriptana (2003, angular calligraphic script).
The following are all by Chuck Davis: LHF Fat Cat (2011, a round informal face influenced by Alf Becker's rounded block letterstyle), LHF Bank Note (2007), Quadrex (2005), Menace (2004, comic book style), Michelle (2004, calligraphic script), LHF Ambrosia (2004, free), Sofia Script (2003), Stanford Script (2003), Sarah Script (2003), Fancy Full Round (2003, a Western face inspired by Al Imelli, ca. 1900), Matthews Thin (2003, tall caps face), New Modern Classic (2003), LHF Birgitta (2003, roman style typeface, inspired by an E.C. Matthews book), LHF Happy Fun Ball (2003, comic book style), CD Esoteric, OldSignFont, Robin, LHFDefWriter, LHFDefArtist, LHF Amarillo (2001, a spurred serif), LHFBeckerMonogramEnglish, LHFBeckerPosterScript, LHFBeckerRoundedBlock, LHFConclaveFLATreg, Cool Blue (2003), LHFConclaveFLATwide, LHFConclaveROUNDreg, LHFConclaveROUNDwide, LHFConclaveSHARPreg, LHFConclaveSHARPwide, LHFCrouchingTiger, LHFCrouchingTigerCONVEX, LHFEquinox, LHF Esoteric3 (2004), LHFMirageBOLD, LHFMirageITALIC, LHFMirageREG, LHFMonogram, LHFQuantumCONVEX, LHFQuantumREG, LHFRomanaClassico, LHFScriptana (great lettering font), LHFTimberlodge, Village, Kelly Ann, Outlaw, Hensler (2002, a cigar box face), Antique Half Block (2002, wood type), Spurred Egyptian, Wolverine, Ortlieb, Super Thick&Thin, Denise, Hensler, Charlotte, Antique Half Block (2002), Supabad (2003), Brianna (2003, techno), Happy Fun Ball (2003, comic book family), Naylorville (2004), LHF Grant's Antique (2004, caps only Victorian face), Michelle (2004), Cafe Corina (2006, a decorative 19th century style free font by Chuck Davis), LHF Ambrosia (2004, a purely Victorian free font by Chuck Davis), Lincoln (2006), No Fishin (2006), LHF Bell Boy (2004, a free art deco font, Chuck Davis), LHF Full Block (2003; free slab serif athletic number face by Davis), Mike's Block (free slab serif by Davis), Old Block (free athletic numbering face by Davis), Old Stock (2007, lettering from old stock market certificates), Hick Sticks (2007, letters made from sticks), LHF Fast Slant (2007, comic book style), LHF Big Daddy (2012, fat signage family).
At one point, Chuck Davis was running Blu Creative Media, where he published BLU Esoteric (1999).
Interview at MyFonts. Letterhead link. [Google]
Letters en Plaatjes
Thijs Mertens is a Dutch designer in Arnhem who runs the design studio Letters en Plaatjes since 2009. He used FontStruct in 2009 to create ThM PurSans, ThM BlackBox (stencil), ThM For Minimal, ThM Papercut, ThM Concept, ThM Monomode, ThM Firefly, and ThM Freaktur (sic).
In 2011, he made ThM Trade Stencil, ThM Tomahawk, ThM Thin (thin and octagonal).
In 2012, he added ThM Toronto, ThM SPQR (athletic lettering), ThM Bone, ThM Tibetan (blackletter), ThM Trade (slabby), ThM Tulipe, ThM Mini, ThM LCD.
Typefaces from 2013: ThM Liga, ThM Architype Albers, ThM Marksman (stencil face).
FontStruct link. [Google]
Company that (re?)made the soccer lettering font Puma Pace in 2007. This was used by the Italian soccer team during the 2006 World Cup. Download here. [Google]
LFCF (was: El Serif de Chocolate)
[Luis Fernando Carvente Flores]
Luis Fernando Carvente Flores is a type designer and illustrator in Pueblo de Zaragoza, Mexico. Initially, he made free fonts published via Dafont, and using the foundry name El Serif de Chocolate.
Creator of Spatha Serif (2010), Spatha Sans, Musa Ornata (2008, fat round signage face), Knema (2010), Musa (2009), Bascula (2009, athletic lettering and Egyptian typeface; +College), Toeris (2009, a western heavy slab serif face), Golondrina (2010, in Africana and Europea styles, all blackletter), and Memela Fraktur (2009, blackletter).
In 2010, he turned commercial and set up LFCF.
In 2011, he published the free blackletter face Carmilia and the tropical typeface Babalu.
In 2012, he added the (free) thin ornamental typeface Ferrica Light and the bouncy Tuscan typeface Festiva (free).
Typefaces from 2013: Paky (a brush face for a packaging project with Mario Tapia), Vinilo Ultrabold (curvy stencil, tweetware).
Klingspor link. Dafont link. Behance link. Home page with a typography blog and a calligraphy blog in Spanish. Behance link. Home page. Blog. Dafont link. [Google]
Since 1994, Swiss type designer Cornel Windlin (b. 1964, Küsnacht) heads "lineto" in Zürich, with Stephan "Pronto" Mueller. He made these typefaces:
- The old typewriter family FF Magda (1995) and its smooth versions, FF Magda Clean (1995) and FF Magda Clean Mono (1995). Noteworthy is the white-on-black FF Magda Cameo. See also Mono (2004, Lineto).
- Airport (FontFont).
- Dot Matrix (FontFont).
- Experimental typefaces: In FUSE 10, Windlin designed the symbol font Robotnik, and at FUSE 7, he made Mogadishu. He alsi created FUSE Classic 1.
- FF Watertower (1998-1999, stencil font).
- Screen Matrix (1995, with Stephan Mueller, FontFont).
- ThermoNuclear (1999).
- Mono-book (1998).
- Autoscape-Regular (1998).
- Alpha Headline (1997, based on the British license plates).
- FF Chernobyl (1998, from stenciled letters on the Chernobyl plant).
- Lutz Headline (1997, derived from the lettering on British license plates).
- Luggage Tag.
- Gravur Condensed (1999, with Gilles Gavillet).
- Cobra: a phenomenal geometric font combining ideas of kitchen tile and stencil fonts, made in 1996.
- FF Moonbase Alpha (1991, part of FUSE 3).
- With Gilles Gavillet, dated 1999: Pixel Crude, Pixel World, Vectrex (1999), Vectrex World (skyline dingbats), Liquid Crystal (1999), Supermax (1999). Pixel World and Vectrex World are free.
FontFont write-up. Fonts by designers. The Lineto collection has many beautiful trend-setting digital-look typewriter faces. From other designers:
- Stephan Mueller: Regular (typewriter family), Valentine (typewriter family), Aveugle (Braille font, 1995), Parking, FF Gateway (1997), Grid (1996), Paragon, Batarde Coulee, Shuttle, FE Mittelschrift and FE Engschrift (1997), 104 (nice geometric font), FF Container, Bitmap-Condensed and Bitmap-Regular (1998), Office (Eurostile-like monospace, 1999).
- Norm: Normetica (1999), Prima (1999), Simple.
- Elektrosmog/Pierre Miedinger: Storno (1999, an interpretation of the numerals of an old Sharp cash register), Brauer. This was later developed into the six weights of LL Brauer Neue by Marco Walser and Philippe Desarzens. The Brauer Neue family (2006) has a copyright notice that refers to Elektrosmog, Valentin Hindermann, Marco Walser and Pierre Miedinger.
- Nico Schweizer: Albroni (1992), Hoboken-High (1998, a US sports jersey font), Typ1451 (1999, sans family), Gigaflop (1999), Ultrateens (1999).
- Martha Stutteregger: Number Two (1996), Lord (1996).
- Jonas Williamsson: Biff (1999).
- Urs and Juerg Lehni and Rafael Koch: Lego (1999).
- Laurent Benner: Pez (1999).
- Hansjakob Fehr: Deadtype (dingbats consisting of metal parts of a typewriter, 1999).
- Masahiko Nakamura: Terminal One (1999).
- James Goggin: Courier Sans (2001).
Luis Fernando Carvente Flores
[LFCF (was: El Serif de Chocolate)]
Luke Lisi (Lisi Design) was born in Colorado but lives in Kansas City. He created the modular and superimposable Homestead (2011, Lost Type), a free Western or athletic slab type family.
In 2013, he designed the layered typeface family Summit.
Behance link. Alternate URL. [Google]
Monterey, CA-based Diane Ehlers (Magpie Fonts, Font Queen 100) made all her fonts with either Fontstruct or Font Creator from High-Logic. FontStruct (2008-2010) carries AllLinedUp-MP, Bigfoot-MP, ChainOfFools-MP, ChipOffTheOldBlock-MP, FancySansationCaps-MP, Fuzzy Concept, KnotMyFont-MP (multilined face), LeanMeanFontMachine-MP, New-Sansation-MP, Nickish-MP (named after Nick Curtis), NoClue-MP, NotReally3D-MP (athletic lettering), OddlyDisconnected-MP, Really2D-MP (athletic lettering), SerifsUpDude-MP, SerifsUpDudeFat-MP, SerifsUpDudeSkinny-MP, SonOfBigfoot-MP, Stacked-MP, StarRoars-MP, Cushy-MP (fashionably ultra-fat), FutureDeco-MP, Xs-n-Os-MOP (a stitching font), DizzyDiamonds-MP (another stitching font), Spires-MP, SeeSpot-MP, MazedAndConfused-MP, Pearlies-MP, FacetFolly-MP, SortaDingy-MP, OhSoStudly-MP, Marcelled-MP, Scodi-MP, ToxicAssets-MP, and Keyholed-MP. With the help of John Hill, some her fonts made it to the Open Font Library, where one can find Chain of FoolsMP, Dizzy DiamondsMP, FacetFollyMP and FutureDecoMP (all made in 2008).
Creations from 2012 include West n Wild (a Far West face), FutureDeco2-MP (art deco), Trellis MP (caps with Dalmatian spots). [Google]
FontStructor who made the outlined athletic lettering face CRU-Manoch (2011). [Google]
[Highground Industries (or: Highground Graffiti Fonts, or: Fulltime Artists)]
[I Shot The Serif]
FontStructor who made Alarm Clock (2011), based on an old alarm clock's LCD display. He/she also made Jersey (2011), an athletic lettering font. [Google]
[Alphabet Soup (or: Michael Doret)]
Michael Gene Adkins
[Tina E.J. Raparanta]
Tina E.J. Raparanta (Miss Tiina, Miss Tiina Fonts, or MTF) owns MissTiina.com. Mostly, her fonts are free. Tina is of mixed Finnish and French origins and lives in Ontario.
Designer of the ornamental dingbats face Miss Tiina (2007), as well as MTFBase (2009), MTFBaseOutline (2009), MTFUnderYourSkin (2009, curly), MTFBaseDashLeafy (2007), MTFBaseOutline (2007), MTFChunkie (2007), MTFRever (2007), MTFScribblie (2007), MTF_CHUNKIEDOODLE (2007), Mtf_sketchie (2007, childish handwriting), MTF Doodle (2008, dingbats) and MTF Heart Doodle (2008, dingbats).
Commercial handwriting fonts, for a small fee: Megan, XOXO Vo2, XOXO Vo1, Christopher, Hunnie, Sweetie, Frozen Solid, Base, Girlie, Lexi, Oopsie Daisie, Chunkie Doodle (dingbats), Quirkie, Chunkie, Funk Fusion (dingbats), Cutie Patootie, Scribblie, Dreamie, Messy.
With repetitions, the fonts at Fontspace are: MTF-Chunkie-Doodle, MTF-Funk-Fusion, MTF-Girlie, MTFBase, MTFBaseLeafy, MTFBaseOutline, MTFBecki, MTFCaMaura, MTFChubb, MTFChunkie, MTFCindy, MTFColleenCursive, MTFColleenPrint, MTFCoolKid, MTFCupcake, MTFCutiePatootie, MTFDearSanta, MTFDonna, MTFDoodle, MTFDoodlewhats, MTFDreamie, MTFElegance, MTFEpic, MTFEvasHand, MTFFlowerDoodles, MTFFlowrites, MTFFrozenSolid, MTFGavin, MTFGridie, MTFHeartDoodle, MTFHelloAgain, MTFHooRah, MTFHootyCoo, MTFHunnie, MTFIttyBittyBaby, MTFJanaG (2012), MTFJotted, MTFJude, MTFJumpin'Jack, MTFKatrina, MTFKim, MTFKrystyna, MTFLexi, MTFLoli'sHandwriting, MTFLynds, MTFMagicalMarilyn, MTFMegan, MTFMelissa, MTFMemory, MTFMessy, MTFMikayla, MTFMikaylaPrint, MTFNotebook, MTFOliveYou, MTFOopsie, MTFOopsieDaisie, MTFPeachCobbler, MTFPlaytime, MTFPorkChop, MTFQueenOfSketchyland, MTFRever, MTFRhesa, MTFSaxy, MTFScribblie, MTFSkinnyJeans, MTFStampinRachel, MTFSweetCheeks, MTFSweetDings, MTFSweetHalloweenDings, MTFSweetNatureDings, MTFSweetSkyDings, MTFSweetie, MTFTamarasHusband, MTFToast, MTFUnderYourSkin, MTFVecbatVo1, MTFWhacko, MTFWhimsy, MTFWildflower, MTFWulan, MTFXOXOVo.1, MTFXOXOVo.2, MTFakhn, MTFdrgnldy, MTFiheartSketches.
Klingspor link. Fontspace link. Dafont link. [Google]
British MI5 agent who created Super Retro (2009), Face Off M54 (2010), Pulp Fiction M54 (2009, octagonal), Wanted M54 (2009, heavy octagonal face), Franklin M54 (2009), Cafe Nero M54 (2010, squarish), WashCareSymbolsM54 (2010), Outcast M54 (2010, an angular outline face), AcademicM54 (2009, athletic lettering), CharlieBrownM54 (2010, techno), JerseyM54 (2010, athletic lettering), Legend M54 (2010, grotesk), LifestyleM54 (2010, slab serif), LifestyleMarkerM54, LifestyleRoundedM54, Motor-Oil-1937-M54 (2009, an art deco grotesque), NewAthleticM54 (2010, athletic lettering), SuperstarM54 (2010, athletic lettering). Aka Just me. Fontspace link. [Google]
Indianapolis, IN-based creator of NFL (2009), a headline sans patterned after the letters used by the NFL. [Google]
FontStructor who made these fonts in 2012: Football Jersey, Traffic (octagonal), Pixelated Round, Fill Me Up, Follow The Arrows, Valentine, Pinhole. [Google]
MyFonts: College typefaces
A list of college typefaces. These are mostly athletioc lettering fonts. [Google]
MyFonts: Football typefaces
A list of typefaces related to football. [Google]
MyFonts: Varsity typefaces
A list of varsity typefaces, also categorized as athletic lettering typefaces. [Google]
FontStructor who made Acrobat Bold (2011), Breakers (2011, texture face), Roman (2011), Origin (2011, fat outline face), Droid (2011), Leaflet (2011, kitchen tile face), Library (2011, white on black letters), Futuro (2011), Pixel (2011), Encore (2011, multilined), Collegiate (2011, athletic lettering) and Onyx (2011). [Google]
[Total Font Geek]
Ned C. Wright
American graphic designer. Alternate URL. He created the delicate artsy lettering face Chocolate Truffles (2007). Other typefaces include Union Made (2009), Happy Inc (2009, thin sans) and Venison Slab (a gorgeous Western style octagonal slab face). No downloads. Alternate URL. [Google]
Designer of the futuristic athletic lettering face TrackMania (2005). [Google]
An orphaned athletic lettering font from 2005 that can be downloaded here. [Google]
An athletic lettering font made in 2007. [Google]
Nick Curtis (b. Chicago, 1948) lived in Texas from 1952-1997, and lives since 1997 in Gaithersburg, MD and Alexandria, MD. From ca. 1990 onwards, he has been designing fonts, first for free, and then commercially. He had a great reputation as a "revivalist" type designer, with a particular interest in retro fonts and art deco types. In 2003, his site had become too popular and too expensive to maintain, and thus he went commercial as Nick's Fonts. Interview. Free downloads at TypOasis. Complete list of names and other info, maintained by Sander de Voogt. Interview in which we learn about his fondness for Corel Draw as a type design tool.
Near the end of 2012, he posted this comment on his web site: Fifteen years ago, I embarked on a wonderful voyage of discovery, when I created my very first font with Fontographer 3.15. My maiden voyages were, frankly, rather clunky and amateurish, but I have been told that they showed promise. Well, sure enough, thanks to the diligent (and patient) efforts of Ilene Strizver, I polished up my craft enough to sell my humble efforts---first as a sideline business and, since 2006, as my full-time job. In total, I have produced over eleven hundred fonts---almost five hundred of them freeware fonts, which I conservatively estimate have been downloaded and enjoyed by over three million people worldwide. Unfortunately, this past year has brought a series of unanticipated setbacks, culminating in the loss of my wife's beautiful mind and soul to the scourge of alcoholism. In an effort to generate extra income to cover the expenses for her long-term care, I have proposed a number of, I believe, innovative ways to revamp the online font business; unfortunately, those efforts have fallen flat, primarily due to the professional font community's abject fear of crossing the $165 million Elephant in the Room. I even offered a special discount rate of 75% off retail price for full-time students of Typohile Forum. To date, there have been zero takers. Hell: even the webfont kit of one of my own fonts which I purchased from myfonts.com turned out to be an empty folder. Talk about a run of bad luck. Which leaves my with you, dear readers. If you or someone you know has had fun or made a buck from my humble efforts throughout the years, please donate whatever you can---even a lousy dollar would help---to help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.
Home page. Dafont link. FontShop link. Klingspor link. Abstract Fonts link.
View the typefaces designed by Nick Curtis. [Google]
[Nick Curtis: athletic lettering]
[Nick Curtis: Commercial faces]
Nick Curtis: athletic lettering
Athletic lettering faces by Nick Curtis include CampGranadaNF (free). Theodoor Van Erp's 1928 poster for a Delft Student Corps in the Netherlands inspired Nick Curtis to draw Camp Granada NF. Tony Geddes' athletic lettering face in the Letragraphica series was the basis for Sis Boom Bah NF (2007). Joe College NF (2010) is another athletic lettering family. Uncle Sam Slim NF (2011) is an octagonal condensed face modeled after American Extra Condensed (1905, Morris Fuller Benton). [Google]
Nick Curtis: Commercial faces
Nick Curtis (b. Chicago, 1948) lived in Texas from 1952-1997. Since 1997, he is in Gaithersburg, MD and Alexandria, MD. Since the 1990s, he has been designing fonts, first for free, and then commercially. He had a great reputation as a "revivalist" type designer, with a particular interest in retro fonts and art deco types. In 2003, his site had become too popular and too expensive to maintain, and thus he went commercial as Nick's Fonts. Interview. Free downloads at TypOasis. Complete list of names and other info, maintained by Sander de Voogt. Interview in which we learn about his fondness for Corel Draw as a type design tool. Home page. His free fonts are listed elsewhere.
On MyFonts, he says this about himself: Nick's Fonts is a modest little foundry dedicated to the preservation of our rich typographic heritage. Most of the foundry's designs are based on authentic historical sources, gleaned from the massive collections of the Library of Congress. If you are looking for a font that captures the essence of the Wild West, the Gay Nineties or the Jazz Age, look here first: if it is not in the catalog, it will be soon. [Google]
New Yorker who designed Albroni (1992, a revival of the slinky 1950 face Albro by Alexey Brodovitch), Hoboken-High (1998), Typ1451 (1999, a very airy and open-bowled sans serif), LeCorbusier (great stencil font, 2000), Gigaflop (1999) and Ultrateens (1999) at lineto. [Google]
Nils von Blanc
German graphic designer and photographer. His free fonts, all dated 2008: Reclaim (grunge), Space Pez (2008, dot matrix, almost kitchen type), Starry Stitch (stitching font), L-MEN-RAVE-IT (handwriting), Neon (Neon sign font; also reminds me of the logo of the Neon car), Reclaim (stencil), Urban Brush (2008), Urban Rubber, Urban Sketch, Stahlbetontraeger-College (athletic lettering), Stahlbetontrger-Compressed, Stahlbetontrger-Outline, Stahlbetontrger-Stripes (all inspired by Patric Schwarz's original Stahlbeton), Urban-Sketch, Urban-Constructed.
At FontStruct, he made the pixel face SPACE PEZ (2008).
Fonts from 2009: Defatted Milk (condensed sans).
In 2012, he published the striped typeface Zebretica, and the hand-printed outline typeface Kalligedoens.
Behance link. Dafont link. [Google]
Nippa Downey (DJ Nippa) is the creator in 2008 at FontStruct of these faces: NCD Paperclip (2008), NCD Paperclip Closed, the NCD Black Square family (2008, he writes: The Black Square of Kazimir Malevich is one of the most famous creations of Russian art in the last century. The first Black Square was painted in 1915 to become the turning point in the development of Russian avant-garde.), Snake, Snake Rebel, Mooch Rounded II and Mooch Squared II.
Additions in 2009: The NCD Dot Matrix family (many styles), NCD Grand Theft Autostruct (based on the logo for the Playstation/Xbox computer game "Grand Theft Auto"), NCD Dorky Corners Sans, NCD Amphibian (+Stencil), NCD Blagger (+Stencil), NCD Gigantica2, NCD Gigantica, NCD Brick Stacker, NCD Amoeba family (dot matrix), NCD Deejayon (nice), NCD Blagger (+Stencil), NCD Phusion Bold (octagonaal), NCD PS Magazine (+2) (octagonal), NCD Fabrica 50 (vertical stripes), NCD Scansion, NCD Octangle 20, NCD Neopolicia Harlequin, NCD Reinforcia (piano key, stencilized), NCD White Picket Fence, NCD Autonium Small Caps (not free...).
In 2010, he created the NCD Chromica family (athletic lettering faces) and NCD Bezica 10 (elliptical), NCD Nu Arc Stencil Linked, NCD Nu Arc Linked Stencil, NCD Edding 5.0 (brush), NCD Patchwork (texture face), NCD Embroidery (+Comp Size), NCD Snippa Sharp (2011), NCD Nufraktura Gothic (2009), NCD Autonium Small Caps.
Typefaces from 2012: NCD Black Square, NCD Black Square II.
Typefaces from 2013: NCD Grand Theft Autostruct (based on the logo for the Playstation/Xbox computer game "Grand Theft Auto"), NCD Isometrica Horizontal 1 (3d block face), NCD Mooch Squared, NCD Mooch Rounded II. [Google]
Indian graphic designer. FontStructor who made Charlie (2011), Charlie Dotted (2011, dot matrix face), Meek (2011, a super-heavy squarish beauty), Abstract (+Slab, 2011), TypeOne (2011, unicase square display typeface), TypeTwo (2011, octagonal) and TypeThree (2011).
In 2013, he published Abstrakt Slab (the slab serif version of Type Two) and Aero (techno font).
Behance link. He is at Picatype Design Studio in Mumbai. Dafont link. [Google]
[José Antonio Garrido Izquierdo]
Noem9 Studio is an online studio created by Jose A. Garrido, a graphic designer who was born in Alcañiz, Teruel, Spain, in 1987, and who lives in Zaragoza.
He created Avanth (2012), a modular experimental typeface that is very useful for logos and titles.
Typefaces from 2012 include Ballege (a partially free athletic lettering font).
Typefaces from 2013: Chronic (a free alchemic font inspired by native American legends).
Creattica link. Behance link. [Google]
Dathan Boardman (Open Window) is an American type designer who lives in Eau Claire, WI, and was born in 1979. He went to UW Stout to get his BFA in Graphic Design.
Fontspace link. Klingspor link. Fontsquirrel link. Google Directory link. Google Plus link.
- Afternoon Tea (2010), an art deco face that is inspired by a lettering specimen featured in Letters and Lettering by Paul Carlyle and Guy Oring published in 1938.
- Art Club (2013).
- Baseline Script (2013). a thin lined upright script.
- Caesar Dressing Pro (2011). A Greek simulation / stone chisel face.
- Clarendon Paint (2010).
- College Dropout (2010): a sketch face based on athletic lettering glyphs.
- Coming Soon and Calligraffiti (2010): free fonts at the Google Font Directory. The Pro versions are commercial.
- Cowboy Stories (2013).
- Deco and Deco Hatched (2010): art deco headline faces.
- Doriss Girls (2013). A marquee typeface family.
- Farm Girl (2011). A hand-printed face.
- Gold Diggin (2011) harkens back to posters from the Gold Rush Era.
- Hand of Joy (2011) is a thin connected script face.
- Headbanger (2012). A heavy metal album cover font.
- Metal Mania (2012). A spurred heavy metal band font, free at Google Web Fonts.
- Miniver Pro (2011) and Miniver Air Raid Pro (2012) are based on the titling for the 1942 movie Mrs. Miniver.
- Rifleman (2012) is a painted wide-slabbed typeface.
- Shag Script (2011).
- Sketchura (2011) is a sketch face.
- Some Assembly (2012). A rounded organic sans family.
- Spur Rust (2011) is a disheveled take on the spicy classic Hellenic Wide.
- Undercoat (2011). A painted version of Helvetica.
- Wide Noise (2010) is grungy.
Great Lakes Lettering in Eau Claire, WI, showcases the type designs of Dathan Boardman and Molly Jacques Erickson. They jointly designed the illustrative handwriting font Frosted in 2012. In 2013, they co-designed the hand-drawn typefaces Saint Agnes and Icing, and the script typeface Kailey (2013).
View Dathan Boardman's typefaces. [Google]
Palmer and Rey
[John J. Palmer]
Typefounders and printing press in San Francisco. The Miller&Richard Type Foundry of Scotland opened a branch in San Francisco in 1878, headed by John J. Palmer. This branch was sold to Palmer and Valentine J. A. Rey in 1882. In 1884, Palmer&Rey acquired the assets of the Pacific Type Foundry. The company then merged into American Type Founders in 1892. They published New specimen book (1884, San Francisco), in which we find several original typefaces, such as the Octic series (athletic lettering, octagonal) and the very Victorian face Oxford.
Digitizations: In 2010, Nick Curtis created a digital version of their Courier, and called it Pony Xpress NF. Rightly So NF (2011, Nick Curtis) is a squarish face based on Geometric Gothic from the 1884 specimen book of Palmer and Rey---it is hard to imagine that this almost pixelish style was around at that epoch. Oxford was revived by Nick Curtis as Palmer Oxonian NF (2011). Octic was revived in 2012 by Nick Curtis as Easy Eights NF. [Google]
Swedish designer and type designer. In 2012, he cooperated with Goran Soderstrom at Letters of Sweden in the production of the masculine athletic lettering and robust advertising typeface Trim Poster (2013). [Google]
Type designer at Canada Type. Wikipedia tells us that Patrick Griffin had been locked away in a mental institution by Carter and Barbara, after he walked in on his mother performing oral sex on Jackie Gleason. He had a nervous breakdown and was sent to a mental hospital, where he came to the conclusion that Gleason was evil because he was fat, leading him to hate fat people. His work is summarized in this 2009 interview by MyFonts. It includes lots of custom work for banks, TV stations, and companies/groups like New York Times, Pixar, Jacquin's, University of Toronto, and the Montreal Airport. His retail fonts include the following.
- Ambassador Script (2007): a digital version of Juliet, Aldo Novarese's 1955 almost upright calligraphic (copperplate style) connected script, with hundreds of alternates, swashes, ends, and so forth. Done with Rebecca Alaccari.
- Autobats (2005).
- Bigfoot (2008), the fattest font ever made (sic).
- Blackhaus (2005), an extension of Kursachsen Auszeichnung, a blackletter face designed in 1937 by Peterpaul Weiß for the Schriftguss foundry in Dresden.
- Blanchard (2009): a revival and elaborate extension of Muriel, a 1950 metal script face made by Blanchard Trochut for the Fonderie Typographique Française, that was published simultaneously by the Spanish Gans foundry under the name Juventud.
- Bluebeard (2004), a blackletter face.
- Book Jacket (2010): this is a digital extension of the film type font Book Jacket by Ursula Suess, published in 1972.
- Boondock (2005): a revival of Imre Reiner's brush script face Bazaar from 1956.
- Broken (2006): grunge.
- Chalice (2006). Religious and Cyrillic influences.
- Chapter 11 (2009): an old typewriter face.
- Chikita (2008): an upright ronde script done with Rebecca Alaccari, and rooted in the work of 1930s Dutch lettering artist Martin Meijer.
- Clarendon Text (2007). A 20-style slab serif that uses inspiration from 1953 faces by Hoffmann and Eidenbenz and the 1995 font Egizio by Novarese.
- Classic Comic (2010).
- Coconut and Coconut Shadow (2006). Great techno pop faces.
- Coffee Script (2004): the digital version of R. Middleton's Wave design for the Ludlow foundry, circa 1962. Designed with Phil Rutter.
- Comic book typefaces: Caper or Caper Comic (2008), Captain Comic (2007), Classic Comic (2010), Collector Comic (2006, a comic balloon lettering family), Common Comic (2013).
- Counter (2008): A futuristic beauty with a double-lined cursive thrown in. Available exclusively from P22. This face was based on the idea for an uncredited film face called Whitley, published by a little known English typesetting house in the early 1970s.
- Cryptozoo (2009): Late director of design for VANOC, the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Committee, Leo Ostbaum, commissioned Canada Type to make a typeface for the Vancouver Winter Olympics. Patrick Griffin came up with a rounded signage font called Cryptozoo, whose Notice reads Concept and design by Leo Obstbaum, VANOC Brand & Creative Services. Additional character data and technical production by Canada Type. Copyright 2007 VANOC Brand&Creative Services.
- Dancebats (2004).
- Dominion (2006). Based on an early 1970s film type called Lampoon. Dominions severely geometric shapes are a strange cross between early Bauhaus minimalism and later sharp square faces used for instance in Soviet propaganda posters.
- Doobie (2006). 60s psychedelic style.
- Driver Gothic (2008): based on the typeface used for Ontario license plates. Although unique among Canadian provincial license plates, this face is very similar to, if not outright identical with, the face used on car plates in 22 American states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Vermont, Washington, and West Virginia. Ideal for license plate forgers.
- Expo (2004): an octagonal family.
- Fab (2007). A tube-design family reminiscent of the 1980s. Ricardo Cordoba writes: Fab reminds me of leafing through my first Letraset catalog in the mid-1980s all those decorative typefaces with rounded ends and tubular shapes, trying to imitate the look of neon signage. But Fab, with its contemporary twist on that aesthetic, and its unicase characters, manages to look like a cross between Cholla Bold and Frankfurter Highlight. Its handtooled, narrow shapes are perfectly suited to pop subject matter and bright colors. Fab Trio can be used to create layered chromatic effects, but its components can stand alone, too. The Seventies sure aint drab in Patrick Griffin's hands.
- Fantini (2006). An update of the curly art nouveau face Fantan, a film type from 1970 by Custom Headings International.
- Feather Script (2012). A revival of an old Lettering Inc font from the 1940s, known then as Flamenco.
- Fido (2009) is the official font of dog owners everywhere. Has Saul Bass influences.
- Filmotype Alice (2008): a casual hand-printed design based on a 1958 alphabet by Filmotype.
- Filmotype Brooklyn (2009): a casual script based on a 1958 Filmotype font.
- Filmotype Candy (2012).
- Filmotype Carmen (2012).
- Filmotype Hemlock (2013). A retro signage script.
- Filmotype Jessy (2009): a flowing upright connected script based on a 1958 design by Filmotype.
- Filmotype Lakeside (2013). A retro signage typeface.
- Filmotype Kellog (2013).
- Filmotype Leader (2013).
- Filmotype Giant (2011, a condensed sans) and its italic counterpart, Filmotype Escort (2011). Both done with Rebecca Alaccari.
- Filmotype Keynote (2013). A connected bold advertising script.
- Filmotype Lacrosse (2013). A retro script from the 1950s sometimes used in department store catalogs of that era. LI>Filmotype LaSalle (2008): based on a 1952 retro script by Ray Baker for Filmotype. Other Filmotype faces by Ray Baker (digitized in 2011) include Filmotype Harmony (original from 1950), Filmotype Kentucky (a 1955 original), Filmotype Kingston (a 1953 original), Filmotype Lucky (2012), and Filmotype Hamlet (a 1955 original), all in the connected signage type category, and all done by Patrick Griffin and Rebecca Alaccari. Filmotype Panama (2012) is a flared casual serif face based on a 1958 original. Filmotype Prima (2011, with Rebecca Alaccari).
- Filmotype Quiet (2010): based on a 1954 military stencil face by Filmotype.
- Filmotype Yale (2012). A wedding invitation script based on a 1964 original by Filmotype.
- Flirt (2005). Based on an art deco face found in a Dover specimen book.
- Fuckbats (2007).
- Fury (2008): an angry techno family.
- Gala (2005). By Griffin and Alaccari. Gala is the digitization of the one of the most important Italian typefaces of the twentieth century: G. da Milanos 1935 Neon design for the Nebiolo foundry. This designs importance is in being the predecessor - and perhaps direct ancestor - of Aldo Novareses Microgramma (and later Eurostile), which paved the worlds way to the gentle transitional, futuristic look we now know and see everywhere. It is also one of the very first designs made under the direction of Alessandro Butti, a very important figure in Italian design.
- Gallery (2004): art deco.
- Gamer (2--4-2006), by Griffin and Alaccari: modeled after a few 1972 magazine advertisement letters, the origin of which was later identified as a common film type called Checkmate.
- Gaslon (2005): a modification of A. Bihari's Corvina Black from 1973.
- Gator (2007). A digital version of Friedrich Poppl's Poppl Heavy (1972), which in turn was one of the many responses by type designers to Cooper Black.
- Genie (2006): a psychedlic face based on a 1970s film type called Jefferson Aeroplane.
- Gibson (2011, with Kevin King and Rod McDonald). This 8-style humanist sans family is a revival of McDonald's own Monotype face, Slate. It was named to honour John Gibson FGDC (1928-2011), Rod's long-time friend and one of the original founders of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada. All the revenues from its sale will be donated by Canada Type to the GDC, where they will be allocated to a variety of programs aiming to improve the creative arts and elevate design education in Canada.
- Go (2005): a techno face.
- Goudy Two Shoes (2006): a digitization and expansion of a 1970s type called Goudy Fancy, which originated with Lettergraphics as a film type.
- Gumball (2005).
- Hamlet (2006): medieval. Based on an old type called Kitterland.
- Happy (2005). Happy is the digital version of one the most whimsical takes on typewriters ever made, an early 1970s Tony Stan film type called Ap-Ap. Some of the original characters were replaced with more fitting ones, but the original ones are still accessible as alternates within the font. We also made italics and bolds to make you Happy-er.
- Heathen (2005). A grunge calligraphic script: The original Heathen was made by redrawing Phil Martin's Polonaise majuscules and superposing them over the majuscules of Scroll, another Canada Type font. The lowercase is a superposition of Scrolls lowercase atop a pre-release version of Sterling Script, yet another Canada Type font.
- Hortensia (2009): a semi-script Victorian face modeled after Emil Gursch's Hortensia (1900). Codesigned with Rebecca Alaccari.
- Hunter (2005). A revival of a brush script by Imre Reiner called Mustang (1956).
- Hydrogen (2007, a rounded geometric unicase family.
- Informa (2009): a comprehensive 36-style sans serif text family based on traditional lettering. He says: While some faces classified as such exhibit too much calligraphy (like Gill Sans, Syntax and Optima), and others tend to favor geometric principles in rhythm and proportion (like Agenda, Frutiger and Myriad), Informa stays true to the humanist ideology by maintaining the proper equilibrium between the two influences that drive the genre, and keeping the humanistic traits where they make better visual sense.
- Jackpot (2005): The idea for Jackpot came from a photo type called Cooper Playbill, which as the name implies was simply a westernized version of Cooper Black. The recipe was simple: Follow Mr. Coopers big fat hippy idea, cowboy it with heavy slabs, give it true italics, then swash away at both for beautiful mixture. And there you have the bridge between groovy and all-American. There you have the country lover shaking hands with the rock and roll enthusiast. There you have your perfect substitute for the very overused Cooper Black.
- Jazz Gothic (2005): an expansion of an early 1970s film type from Franklin Photolettering called Pinto Flare. Image.
- Jezebel (2007).
- Johnny (2006): with Rebecca Alaccari; based on Phil Martin's Harem or Margit fonts from 1969.
- Jupiter (2007): based on Roman lettering.
- Leather (2005): an expansion of Imre Reiner's blackletter face Gotika (1933).
- Libertine (2011). Libertine (done with Kevin Allan King) is an angular calligraphic script inspired by the work of Dutchman Martin Meijer (1930s): This is the rebel yell, the adrenaline of scripts.
- Lionheart (2006). A digitization and extension of Friedrich Poppl's neo-gothic typeface Saladin.
- Lipstick (2006): handwriting. Plus Lipstick Extras.
- Louis (2012). A faithful digital rendition and expansion of a design called Fanfare, originally drawn by Louis Oppenheim in 1927, and redrawn in 1993 by Rod McDonald as Stylu.
- Maestro (2009) is a 40 style chancery family, in 2 weights each, with 3350 characters per font, codesigned with calligrapher Philip Bouwsma. This has to be the largest chancery/calligraphy family on earth.
- Martie (2006). Done with Rebecca Alaccari. Based on the handwriting of Martie S. Byrd.
- Marvin (2010): a fat comic book face.
- In 2013, Kevin Allan King and Patrick Griffin revived Georg Trump's transitional typeface Mauritius (1967, Weber).
- Memoriam (2009): An extreme-contrast vogue display script which was commissioned by art director Nancy Harris for the cover of the 2008 commemorative issue of the New York Times magazine. He also did the typography and fonts for the 2010 issue. This became an unbelievably successful family, and was extended in 2011 with headline, Outline and Iline variants.
- Merc (2007). Based on an all-cap rough-brush metal face called Agitator, designed by Wolfgang Eickhoff and published by Typoart in 1960.
- Messenger (2010), a calligraphic script. Patrick Griffin writes about Messenger (2010, Canada Type): Messenger is a redux of two mid-1970s Markus Low designs: Markus Roman, an upright calligraphic face, and Ingrid, a popular typositor-era script. Through the original film faces were a couple of years apart and carried different names, they essentially had the same kind of Roman/Italic relationship two members of the same typeface family would have. The forms of both faces were reworked and updated to fit in the Ingrid mold, which is the truer-to-calligraphy one.
- Middleton Brush (2010): a redigitization of R.H. Middleton's connected brush face Wave, ca. 1962; see also an early Canada Type face, Coffee Script.
- Miedinger (2007). Created after Max Miedinger's 1964 face, Horizontal. Canada Type writes: The original film face was a simple set of bold, panoramically wide caps and figures that give off a first impression of being an ultra wide Gothic incarnation of Microgramma. Upon a second look, they are clearly more than that. This face is a quirky, very non-Akzidental take on the vernacular, mostly an exercise in geometric modularity, but also includes some unconventional solutions to typical problems (like thinning the midline strokes across the board to minimize clogging in three-storey forms). This digital version introduces a new lighter weight alongside the bold original..
- Militia (2007). An octagonal and threatening stencil.
- Militia Sans (2007).
- Monte Cristo (2012, with Kevin Allan King) is a grand type family with five styles and 1630 characters with many swashes and ways of connecting the calligraphic glyphs---it is the ultimate wedding font.
- Neil Bold (2010): an extension of the fat face Neil Bold (1966, Wayne J. Stettler).
- Nightlife (2005): inspired by a pre-desktop publishing grid design by L. Meuffels.
- Nuke (2005): a fat stencil grunge weith pizzazz.
- In 2011, he and Kevin Allan King published the refined Orpheus Pro family, which was based on the elegant Orpheus by Walter Tiemann (1926-1928, Klingspor), and its Italic which was called Euphorion (Walter Tiemann, 1936). Their enthusiastic description: The Orpheus Pro fonts started out as a straightforward revival of Tiemann's Orpheus and Euphorion. It was as simple as a work brief can be. But did we ever get carried away, and what should have been finished in a few weeks ended up consuming the best part of a year, countless jugs of coffee, and the merciless scrutiny of too many pairs of eyeballs. The great roman caps just screamed for plenty of extensions, alternates, swashes, ligatures, fusions from different times, and of course small caps. The roman lowercase wanted additional alternates and even a few ligatures. The italic needed to get the same treatment for its lowercase that Tiemann envisioned for the uppercase. So the lowercase went overboard plenty alternates and swashes and ligatures. Even the italic uppercase was augmented by maybe too many extra letters. Orpheus Pro has been a real ride. Images of Orpheus: i, ii, iii, iv, v.
- Outcast (2010): a grunge family.
- Oxygen (2006): a great grid-based design.
- Paganini (with Kevin Allan King) is another jewel in Canada Type's drawers: Designed in 1928 by Alessandro Butti under the direction of Raffaello Bertieri for the Nebiolo foundry, Paganini defies standard categorization. While it definitely is a classic foundry text face with obvious roots in the oldstyle of the Italian renaissance, its contrast reveals a clear underlying modern influence. i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii.
- The last joint project of King and Griffin in 2012 was Pipa, a pseudo-psychedelic groovy bellydancing font: Originally made for a health food store chain we cannot name, Pipa is the embodiment of organic display typography.
- Player (2007). An 11-style athletic lettering family.
- Plywood (2007): a retro face based on Franklin Typefounders's Barker Flare from the early 1970s.
- Press Gothic (2007). A revival of Aldo Novarese's Metropol typeface, released by Nebiolo in 1967 as a competitor to Stephenson Blakes Impact.
- Quanta (2005, stencil). Two weights, East and West.
- In 2011, Kevin Allan King and Patrick Griffin completed work on an exceptionally beautiful revival, Ratio Modern (the original by F.W. Kleukens is from 1923). This is a didone family with a refined humanistic trait. Images of Ratio Modern: i, ii, ii, iv, v, vi, vii.
- Rawhide (2006): a bouncy Western saloon font based on cover page lettering of the Belgian comic book series Lucky Luke.
- Recta (2011, with Kevin King). This is eighteen-stye sans family that extends Novarese's Recta.
- Rhino (2005): a revival of the informal face Mobil (1960, Helmu Matheis, Ludwig&Mayer).
- Noteworthy (2009). A font commissioned for the Apple iPad. It is based on Griffin's earlier revival face Filmotype Brooklyn.
- Ronaldson Regular (2008, with Rebecca Alaccari), a 17-style oldstyle family based on the 1884 classic by Alexander Kay, Ronaldson Old style (MacKellar, Smith&Jordan). Griffin reconstructed this family from the metal face and from many scans from rare documents provided by Stephen O. Saxe, Philippe Chaurize and Rebecca Davis.
- Roos (2009): A 10-style revival of Sjoerd Hendrik de Roos's De Roos Romein (1948), created in cooperation with Hans van Maanen.
- Robur (2010): Done with Kevin King, this set of two fonts revives George Auriol's Robur Noir from 1909.
- Runway (2004): racetrack lettering.
- Rush (2005): futuristic.
- Sailor (2005): digital rendition of West Futura Casual (late 1970s film type).
- Salome (2008). Done with Rebecca Alaccari, this is a revival and expansion of a photolettering era typeface called Cantini (1972, Letter Graphics).
- Santini (2004): Bauhaus-inspired architectural lettering.
- Screener (2006): an extensive octagonal family, including Screener Symbols.
- Secret Scrypt (2004): four shaky script styles done for a New York restaurant. With Alaccari.
- Semplicita Pro (2011). A grand revival of Alessandro Butti's Futura-like Semplicità, executed between 2009 and 2011 by Patrick Griffin and Bill Troop. Image of the Medium weight.
- Shred (2010): an octagonal heavy metal face.
- Siren Script (2009-2010): Done with Rebecca Alaccari, this six-style script family is based on the metal face Stationers Semiscript (BBS, 1899).
- Skullbats (2005).
- Serial Killer (2005): bloody.
- Slang (2004): a blood scratch face.
- Slinger (2010): a flared art nouveau face.
- Social Gothic (2007). After Tom Hollingsworth's Informal Gothic, a squarish unicase grotesk done in 1965. Followed by Social Stencil (2011-2012).
- Soft Press (2012). A rounded version of Canada Type's Press Gothic.
- Sol Pro (2010): a 20-style revival and extension of the monoline sans face Sol by Marty Goldstein and C.B. Smith (1973, VGC), done with Kevin Allan King. Griffin writes: This is not your grandfather's Eurostile. This is your offspring's global hope, optimism, and total awareness.
- Spade (2012). A super-heavy slab face, done with Kevin King.
- Spadina (2010): a psychedelic / art nouveau revival with Kevin Allan King of Karlo Wagner's Fortunata (1971, Berthold).
- Sterling Script (2005): done with Rebecca Alaccari. Sterling Script was initially meant to a be digitization/reinterpretation of a copperplate script widely used during what effectively became the last decade of metal type: Stephenson Blake's Youthline, from 1952. Many alternates were added, so this is a virtually new type family.
- Sultan: a Celtic-Arabic simulation face after "Mosaik" (1954) by Martin Kausche.
- Stretto (2008) is a revival and expansion of Sintex 1 (Aldo Novarese, Nebiolo, 1973), a funky nightclub face. It was used as the basis of Cowboy Hippie (2010, CheapProFonts).
- Swan Song (2006): a calligraphic face based on the hand of Alexander Nesbitt. [A later document states that it is based on work by British artist Rachel Yallop.]
- Symposium Pro (2011). This Carolingian family was drawn by Philip Bouwsma. Patrick helped with the production.
- Tabarnak (2012) and its shadowed version, Tabarnouche (2012). Lovingly named to attract business from Quebec, this is a packaging or signage pair of fonts.
- Taboo (2009) is a geometric display face that was inspired by lettering by Armenian artist Fred Africkian in 1984.
- Testament (2010): a calligraphic uncial family done with Philip Bouwsma.
- Tomato (2005): done with Rebecca Alaccari, this is the digitization and quite elaborate expansion of an early 1970s Franklin Photolettering film type called Viola Flare.
- Treasury (2006): a huge type family based on a calligraphic script by Hermann Ihlenburg from the late 19th century. Canada Type writes: The Treasury script waited over 130 years to be digitized, and the Canada Type crew is very proud to have done the honors. And then some. After seven months of meticulous work on some of the most fascinating letter forms ever made, we can easily say that Treasury is the most ambitious, educational and enjoyable type journey we've embarked upon, and we're certain you will be quite happy with the results. Treasury goes beyond being a mere revival of a typeface. Though the original Treasury script is quite breathtaking in its own right, we decided to bring it into the computer age with much more style and functionality than just another lost script becoming digital. The Treasury System is an intuitive set of fonts that takes advantage of the most commonly used feature of todays design software: Layering.
- Trump Gothic (2005): a revival and expansion of two different takes on Signum (1955, Weber), Georg Trumps popular mid-twentieth-century condensed gothic: Less than one year after Signum, the Czech foundry Grafotechna released Stanislav Marso's Kamene, a reinterpretation of Signum. The differences between the two were quite subtle in most forms, but functionally proved to offer different levels of visual flexibility. Marso changed a few letters, most notably the wonderful a and g he added, and also made a bold weight. Trump Gothic West is a revival of Trump's original Signum, but in three weights and italics for each. Trump Gothic East is a revival of Marso's Kamene, but also in three weights and corresponding italics.. In 2013, Patrick Griffin redrew and optimized these condensed and ultra-economical typefaces in his Trump Gothic Pro.
- Trump Script (2010) revives the African look script by Georg Trump called Jaguar (1962). An improvement on an earlier Canada type family called Tiger Script.
- Tuba (2010).
- Valet (2006): inspired by an uncredited early 1970s all-cap film type called Expression.
- Veronica Polly (2005).
- Vox (2007): a 24-style monoline sans family done with Rebecca Alaccari. This was followed in 2013 by a softer version, Vox Round.
- Wagner Grotesk (2010): a sturdy grotesk, after a face from the Johannes Wagner foundry. Kevin King is also credited.
- Wagner Script Pro (2011). Done together with Kevin King, this is a revival of Troubadour (1926, Wagner&Schmidt).
- King and Patrick Griffin published Wonder Brush in 2012. This is partly based on a signage brush script called Poppl Stretto (1969) by Friedrich Poppl.
- Opentype programming help for several fonts by Michael Doret, such as Deliscript (2009), Dynascript (2011) and Steinweiss Script (2010). Deliscript (a winner at TDC2 2010) is an upright connected script with accompanying slanted version. Steinweiss Script is a 2200-glyph curly script face called Steinweiss Script (2010), which captures a lot of the spirit of Steinweiss's album covers from the late 1930s and 1940s.
Klingspor link. [Google]
[Font Studio Four]
[Tracer Tong (was: WhoAmI Type&Design)]
Paul Reis (Covington, KY) created the 3d architectural typeface Pane (2012). Ana (2012) is a bicolored typeface made to be seen with 3d red/cyan glasses.
In 2013, he designed Wabeco (a free 6-style art deco typeface family), Brooklyn (+Inline). Free download here and here. Promesh (2013, an athletic lettering font) is also free. [Google]
Graphic designer from New York, called Peter Fahrni at MyFonts and Peter Fahmi at Klingspor---this is a case of tight typesetting, rn being read as m or vice versa. Creator of the slabbed shadowed outline caps face Quadrus (Letraset, 1990).
Klingspor link. [Google]
Peter Van Lancker
Flemish web log about the history and mechanics of type, run by Belgian graphic designer Peter Van Lancker (b. Ghent). There is a lot of information on the early printing and typefounding by Joos Lambrecht in Gent, ca. 1539.
His Flickr page has many nice shots of old presses (lithography, copperplate, etc.). He is working on this octagonal face and a rhythmic broad nib pen.
In 2012, Peter published a free pixel face called Six.
Dafont link. [Google]
Porn Star Clothing
Original typefaces made by Fontalicious (Ben Balvanz) for Porn Star Clothing: Mullet (2001), Porn Star Academy (2001: athletic lettering), SuperStars (stars, 2001). [Google]
Positype was founded in 2002 by Athens and/or Jefferson, GA-based designer and type designer Neil Summerour (b. 1972, Azores, Portugal). Neil began developing typefaces in 1996 with the 1996 Olympic Brick Paver Project proprietary typeface. He is the co-principal and senior designer of Athens-based interactive, design, and advertising agency Genetic:ICG. In the summer of 2003, he began teaching Advanced Electronic Design in the Graphic Design Department at The University of Georgia.
Swash & Kern is the bespoke lettering and typeface design alter ego of Neil Summerour.
In 2001, Neil published his first two type designs with [T-26] Digital Type Foundry in Chicago, IL. Since then, he has released tens of font families including hiragana and katakana fonts. Positype fonts are sold by Myfonts.com and [T-26].
Klingspor link. Facebook link. Blog. Behance link. Union Fonts link.
The list of his fonts:
- Aaux, Aaux Office (2002), Aaux Pro (2004), Aaux Next (2009, 72 typefaces), Aaux Alphanumera, Aaux Emoticons.
- The Air Superfamily (2011), which consists of 81 sans faces. Followed by Air Soft (2011).
- Altar (8-weight Gothic family).
- Akagi (2008): 20 style sans family. Extended and refreshed in 2011 into Akagi Pro.
- AMP (at Union fonts).
- Anago (2012) is a softly rounded sans family, the product of a designer addicted to designing sans families.
- Anarcharsis (2002): a serif family inspired by incomplete rubbing made from a stone wall located in the Bahamas.
- Angel Script (2009, TypeTrust).
- Baka (2005, a fantastic scratchy handwriting face), Baka Too (2006; followed in 2010 by Baka Expert).
- The Bodoniesque family (Umbrella Type).
- Claustrum (2003).
- Clear Sans (2013). Starting from a monoline rather geometric set of thin weights, this typeface family morphs into a more humanist beast, with a, b, d and g having a squeezed look at the intercepts. And maybe because of that, this unclassifiable face is quite appealing.
- Cynapse (2003). Cynapse Pro (2004, 12 weights) is a sans family.
- Directors Gothic (2013, Lettering Inc). A large retro sans family.
- Donatora (2004).
- Ego (2003, octagonal family).
- Epic (2007-2009, a 12-style contemporary garalde).
- Ether, Ether Connected.
- Eva (2003).
- Filmotype Dancer (2012).
- Filmotype Horizon (2011).
- Friendly (2012). In part based on Morris Fuller Benton's upright script face Announcement.
- Fugu (2009, rough-outlined script family, winner at TDC2 2010).
- Ginza (2008, a squarish techno family), and Ginza Narrow (2011).
- Halogen (2012). An organic techno sans family.
- Headcold (2004).
- Iru1, Iru2.
- Juicy (T-26, 2004, brushdrawn family).
- Kari and Kari Pro (2005): a connected upright script. Kari Display (2009).
- Kryptk Flash (2003).
- Kurosawa Bastard, Kurosawa Hand, Kurosawa Sans, Kurosawa Serif, Kurosawa Hiragana, Kurosawa Katakana.
- Luce (2004).
- Lush Script (2011). A connected script inspired by the 1940s.
- Lust (2012), a curvy hight-contrast didone in the Pistilli style. Neil: The result yielded a rather diverse typographic gene pool: a little Scotch Modern, a little Didone and Didot, a dominant dose of Caslon, and a pinch of Baskerville-- all wrapped up in the leggy body of a Brazilian supermodel. A confident, self-reliant typeface that shows just enough to keep everyone staring and leave them wanting more.
- Lust Script (2013). This is a curvier, sexier (Neil's words) version of Lust. For use in fashion magazines and large sizes.
- Macha (2012). A sans family.
- The Type Trust: Magneta (2009, The Type Trust). Includes a Condensed subfamily.
- Muscle (2009, TypeTrust---a futuristic family).
- Nori (2010): a calligraphic brush face obtained by applying the Pilot Japan Kanji Fude brush pen on paper. It has over 1100 glyphs, 250 ligatures, 487 alternate characters, 125+ swash and titling alternates, lining and old style numerals. Awarded at TDC2 2011.
- Organic (2009, sans family).
- Plastek (2004-2009).
- The R.E.M. Athens project involves three fonts published in 2009, REM Orange, REM Accelerate and REM Tourfont. They are based on ideas by Chris Bilheimer for the band R.E.M. (Michael Stipe and Chris Bilheimer). Both attended the fine arts program at the University of Georgia. Michael Stipe, singer and lyricist, formed R.E.M. in 1980. Bilheimer began working with the band in 1994.
- Romp (2009, condensed handprinted).
- Rhythm (2011). An italic inline and solid display family based on ATF's Ratio (ca. 1930) and Herbert Thannhaeuser's Adastra (1928).
- Shameless (2013). A connected penmanship-style script.
- Sneakers (2003-2004): athletic lettering family. Also, Sneakers Script.
- Tactical (2011, octagonal mechanical face; +Stencil).
- In 2012, he won the Second Akashi Prize in the kanji (!!!) category of the Morisawa Type Design Competition for Tegaki. Tegaki also won at TDC 2013.
- Truss Ultra Light (2006): hairline architectural font.
- Vekta Serif (2009), Vekta Neo and Vekta Sans (2009, a sans family at TypeTrust).
- Wasabi (2010): an organic elliptical family, based on Iru.
- Yumi (2003, techno font, Union Fonts).
His life in hiw own words: Neil Summerour is a type designer, lettering artist, calligrapher and designer based in Georgia, USA with one foot in Takamatsu, Japan. After graduating from The University of Georgia Lamar Dodd School of Art with a BFA in Graphic Design, he soon found himself opening his own studio to deal with the flow of freelance work. [...] Neil opened his personal type foundry, Positype, in 2000 to feed his ever-growing desire for type design. He later co-founded TypeTrust (2002) with Silas Dilworth as his addiction to type and lettering grew. [...] He was an adjunct art professor at The University of Georgia in graphic design and taught graphic design at the Governor's School for the Arts. [...] As a typeface designer, he has published over 60 typeface families and produced numerous custom typefaces for clients worldwide. [...] He has won the Type Directors Club Certificate of Excellence in Type Design in 2010 and 2011 for Fugu and Nori, respectively.
Showcase of Neil Summerour's fonts. [Google]
Radar Design of Seattle, WA, was founded in the fall of 1995 by David Phillips. It is mainly a graphic and web design company (with a web site that does not show on my Netscape browser!). David Phillips's fonts include B52 (2001, US military and athletic lettering font), Konstruct (2000, a type family inspired by the hand-drawn typography used in posters by Russian, German and Dutch graphic designers of the 1920's and 1930's), and the quirky Kut Out (2002). More recent typefaces by Radar Design, mostly created by Jens Gehlhaar: Amoebia (organic family), Cornwall (sans), Gagamond (mini-serifed), Blindfish (almost grunge). In 2004, David Phillips and Traci Daberko went on the found StockBucket, still in Seattle. [Google]
FontStructor who made Hearth Perspect (2012, futuristic), Metald (2011), Metald Lite (2011), Marmor (2011, texture face), Grey State U (2010, athletic lettering), Nuts and Bolts and Wrenches (2010), SwordStruct (2010), Angulan (2010), LostMyGlasses (2009), WindStruct (2009), PixShadow (2009), Keychain (2009), and AlmostBold Tiny (2009). [Google]
Ralph Michael Unger
[RMU (Ralph Michael Unger Typedesign)]
He states that his name is also Raslens Shaa Abedossen. Whatever. Creator (b. 1987) of Tribal Garamond (2010), Raslens Abedossen (2009: outlined, shadowed hand-printed face), Raslani-Shaashimov (2009, splattered paint font), RaslaniKavaliarKaiser (2009, blood dripping paint font), Raslani und so weiter (2008, grunge), Raslani Ames Brisées (2008), RaslaniDestroyedSouls (2008), RaslaniMessenger (2008), Raslani American Letters (2008, hand-drawn athletic letters), Raslani Kaplash (2008), Raslani Tribal (2008), RaslaniAncientScript (2007), RaslaniUndaground-Bold (2007), RaslanihOoH (2007), Raslani the Pharaoh (2007, brush hand), Raslani-Hip-Hop (2007), Raslani-Horrorz (2007), Raslani-Melissa (2007). Home page. Another page. He lives in Tampon on Ile Reunion. [Google]
Aka p2pnut, b. Wales, 1943, who started making fonts in 2009 at FontStruct. Alternate URL. Dafont link. Klingspor link. In 2010, Ray Meadows set up shop at MyFonts.
Prolific creator at FontStruct in 2009 of the 3d faces Alphabox, Alphabox Reverse, Alphabox Lite, Alphabox Lite Complete, Alphabox Shadow and Alphabox Basic. He also made RM Playtime (outlined 3d family), Art DECOrated, Single DECOr, Romantic (+Carved, +Carved Shadow), TripleDECOr, New Romantic, SOFA, Mondrianish, Eye Test, Meltdown (grunge), Ameslan (American Sign Language), DECO Noir, DECOction, DECOserif (+Bold), DECOoction (+Bold Open), DEChrome, DECOpix, DECOr (a pure art deco face like Levine's Art Lover JNL), DECOThin (+Medium), Scrapheap, Westward (Far West font), Cheese Fondue, Alphabox Reverse (shadow font), AlphaRune, Spaced, Gothicky, Grand Prix, Entrees (alphadings), Compround, Phatzzo (nice!), DECOr8, Gothicky, Gothicky Grey, RM Ginger, RM Albion (blackletter), and Opening (outline face). RM Squarial (2009) is a hairline sans. Its 3d version is RM Squarial 3D. RM Typewriter (2009, +Medium, +Bold, +Old) is an old typewriter face. RM Serifangle (outline art nouveau face, +3D, +Chrome, +3DChrome) and RM Corrugation (postage stamp, white on black style) are both interesting. RM DECO Serif (2009) is in the RM Typewriter style series. RM Bowie Basic is a futuristic face based on the face used on Mars in "The Waters of Mars" (2009). RM Playtime Stencil (2009) is a rounded stencil face based on RM Playtime Solid. There are more styles such as RM Playtime 3D.
Additions in 2010: RM New Albion (blackletter), RM Lined, RM Serifancy (Western face), RM Almanack (+Old), RM Tubeway (+Chrome), RM Thinny, RN White Letter, RM Blacklet, RM Squarial (+Ribbon, +3d), RM Typewriter Old, RM 7even, RM SideSlip, RM Teeny, RM Teeny 1.5, RM Narrowboat (+3D) (athletic lettering).
His faces at MyFonts include RM Victoriana (2010, caps only Victorian face), RM Whiteletter (2010), RM Signwriter (athletic lettering), RM Deco (pure Broadway art deco), RM True to Type (typewriter face), RM Scrapheap, RM Elegance (condensed, with high ascenders), RM Playtime, Graphite
Creations in 2011: RM Celtic, RM Uncialic (+RMWL Uncialic: Carolingian), RM A Sign of the Times, RM Sans, RM Oliver (bold rounded sans), RM Soft Sans (wonderfully round sans), RM True To Old Type (old typewriter), RM True to Type (new typewriter), RM Middy, RM Phatso (textured), RM Phatso 2.0, RM Phatso 2.0 Solid (texture faces).
Creations in 2012: RM Luceat (a bullethole typeface), RM Jazz Age, RM Basic Serif (roman face), Alphabox (a 3d family: +Reverse, +Lite, +Reverse Stencil), RM Slab, RM Slabb, RM Tubes (3d typeface), RM Smoothsans (rounded sans), RM Romantic Carved (+Shadow: a beautiful set of beveled faces), RM Westward, RM Typerighter, RM Uncorrugated, RM Snowtime, RM Smooth Jazz, RM Smooth Age, RM Nova Albion (blackletter), RM Tubes Chrome, RM Squarial FS10, RM Basic Serif.
Typefaces from 2013: RM Victoriana, All Bricks, RM Deco, RM Random Outline, RM Random 3D, RM Random (cartoon face), RM Celtic Condensed, RM Westus Condensed, RM Westus (Western, spurred), RM Hunky (chunky and modular), RM Thunk (piano key face, thick and chunky), Westward Ho (spurred Western face), RM Hangle (chuunky and elliptical).
Abstract Fonts link. Dafont link. [Google]
RMU (Ralph Michael Unger Typedesign)
[Ralph Michael Unger]
Ralph M. Unger (b. 1953, Thuringia, East Germany) says this about himself at MyFonts: Typesetter from the composing stick via Linotype setting machines to the Mac. Jobs in various Thuringian printeries. Barred further education by Communist authorities due to political reasons. Imprisoned in East Germany. Since 1988 in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, former West Germany. Jobs in several newspaper printing houses as advertisement compositor. Own office since 1995, in Aalen, Baden-Wuerttemberg. He lives in Schwaebisch Gmuend, and was a freelance type designer for Profonts and URW++, where he contributed frequently to these libraries between 2002 and 2009. In 2009, he founded RMU. MyFonts link. I split his contributions into two groups, the URW / Profonts group, and the RMU group. The prefix FontForum refers to a subseries of URW++ fonts. Unless specifically mentioned, all the following fonts are at URW++ and/or Profonts:
The list of RMU fonts:
- FontForum Admiral Script (2005): revival of Middleton's Admiral script from 1953.
- Amitié (2009): a garalde family.
- Arabella Pro (2006): after the script by Arnold Drescher from 1936, published at Joh. Wagner.
- Fontforum Atrament (2006): architectural lettering. Do not confuse with a Suitcase Type Foundry font from 2003 by the same name.
- Atze (2010): a comic book family.
- Behrensschrift D (2007): after the jugendstil face Behrens Schrift, 1902, by Peter Behrens.
- FontForum Bernhard Script (2005): after Bernhard Script from the 1920s.
- Bradley (2005): blackletter, after the original by William H. Bradley.
- Breite Kanzlei (2007).
- Breitkopf Fraktur (2003): after the original by Johann Gottlob Immanuel Breitkopf, done in 1793.
- Brocken (2011) is a signage face inspired by a design of Volker Küster (1960s).
- Profonts Bureau (2010, Profonts): a minimalist rounded sans family.
- FontForum Calypso (2005): a revival of Roger Excoffon's Calypso (1958).
- Card Pro (2006): a decorative display based on lettering by Sjoerd Hendrik de Roos.
- Chaweng (2006, Profonts): an oriental all caps simulation face.
- Civilite URW (2005).
- Compliment (2004, casual script).
- Cranach (2007): a blackletter face modeled after Kuenstler Gotisch from the Krebs Foundry.
- Dominante (2007): a serif family based on Johannes Schweitzer's font by that name, 1959.
- Dominique (2010, profonts): an informal typeface.
- FontForum URW Ecsetiras (2005): revival of Ecsetirás (Zoltan Nagy, 1967, a brush face).
- Edda Pro (2008): an art nouveau face that revives a Heinrich Heinz Heune face from 1900.
- Energia Pro (2008, Profonts): connected monowidth script, based on Arno Drescher's Energos from 1932.
- Estro (2003, Western lettering). Seems close to Nebiolo's Estro from the 60s.
- Eurobrush Pro (2007, Profonts): handwriting.
- EuroSans (2008).
- Euroscript Pro (2006, Profonts): school script face.
- Flashes (2007): a revival of Crous-Vidal's Flash, 1953.
- Fox (2007): a brush script based on W. Rebhuhn's original from the 1950s.
- Gamundia (2010): a calligraphic copperplate script inspired by Excoffon's Diane.
- Ganz Grobe Gotisch (2006): a fat blackletter modeled after the original by F.H.E. Schneidler.
- Gmuender Elan Pro (2011) is a 1950s style script face.
- Gradl Nr 1 (2008): based on hand-drawn art nouveau upper case characters by M. J. Gradl, ca. 1900.
- Graphique Pro (2008): shadowed caps face, based on Graphique, which was originally created by Swiss designer Hermann Eidenbenz in 1945, and issued as hot metal font by Haas'sche Schriftgießerei. See also New Graphique Pro (2011).
- Handel Slab (2009): a 6-style extension of Trogram's 1980 face Handel Gothic.
- Hanseat (2010): a grotesque family done at Profonts. It was heavily inspired by Germany's official DIN 1451 Engschrift.
- Iova Nova (2007): based on Jowa Script, designed by J. Wagner in 1967.
- Profonts Impression (2008): art deco.
- Jessen Schrift (2004): after the Rudolf Koch blackletter face by that name.
- FontForum URW Konzept Pro (2005): revival of Konzept (1968, Martin Wilke's handprinting face).
- Legende (2002): a script face based on the original typeface of Friedrich Hermann Ernst Schneidler (1937).
- Leipziger Antiqua. The original Leipziger Antiqua by Alfred Kapr at Typoart dates from 1971-1973. The digital version of Leipziger Antiqua was developed by Ralph M. Unger in 2005.
- Manuskript Antiqua (2005): after Oldrich Meinhart's Manuskript Antiqua.
- The Maszynysta family of heavy industrial sans faces (2010) have a textured style (Struktura), a Shadow, and a plain Roman.
- Maxim (2003, Profonts): The heavy brush face Maxim was originally designed by Peter Schneidler in 1956 for the Bauer foundry.
- New Bayreuth (2008): after Friedrich Hermann Ernst Schneidler's Bayreuth from 1932.
- Old Borders and Lines (2010). A free font.
- Ornella (2008): Jugendstil.
- Peter Schlemihl (2008, Profonts): a revival of a blackletter by Walter Tiemann.
- Pedell (2009): a casual script.
- Polo (2002): a brush face modeled after Carl Rudolph Pohl's Polo (1960).
- In 2012, Ivana Koudelkova codesigned the grungy headline face Retroactive Pro with Ralph M. Unger at Profonts.
- Fontforum Rhapsody (2006): a revival of Ilse Schüle's rotunda face.
- Roberta (2003): art nouveau face after obert Trogman's face for FotoStar.
- FontForum Signs and Symbols (2006).
- Splendor (2009): a revival of a brush script face by Wilhelm Berg, Schriftguss, 1930.
- Sportowy (2009): an outline face.
- Stanford (2011). A sports lettering face.
- Stiletto (2006): a medieval script.
- Fontforum Stripes (2007): a multistripe op art display face based on a Letraset font from 1973 by the same name.
- Fontforum Thalia (2006): retro font.
- Tintoretto (2006): shadow display face.
- Tip Top Pro (2008): a Julius Klinkhardt art nouveau face revival.
- FontForum Unciala (2005): a revival of Oldrich Menhart's face Unciala (1953, Grafotechna).
- Unger Chancery (2005).
- Unger Script (2003): based on H. Matheis' Slogan typeface designed for Ludwig&Mayer in 1957.
- Veltro (2007): after a 1931 original by G. da Milano at Nebiolo.
- Profonts Woodpecker (2008).
- Amati Pro (2010): after Georg Trump's condensed didone face, Amati, 1951.
- Avus Pro (2012). A sans family that extends Gert Wunderlich's Maxima (1970).
- Behrens Kursiv (2013). After a 1906 original by Peter Behrens.
- Bernhard Cursive Extra Bold (2010).
- Borgis Pro (2012). A Clarendon-style text family.
- Bricklayers (2012). An original fat slab display face.
- Brillant (2009): art nouveau and ultra heavy.
- Butti (2011). A script family paterned after Fluidum (1951, Alessandro Butti, Nebiolo).
- Caesar Pro (2011). A flared sans face after Caesar Schrift (1913, Georg Schiller, C.F. Rühl).
- Capitol Pro (2012). An art deco typeface based on Capitol (Karl Hermann Schaefer for Schriftguss, 1931).
- Carla Pro (2013). A broad-nibbed script modeled after Ballantines Script (Elsner & Flake, 1974; see also Ballantines Serial by SoftMaker).
- Caslon Gotisch (2009): after the original by William Caslon from 1763.
- Celebration (2009): blackletter.
- Claudius (2010): after a 1937 blackletter font at Klingspor.
- Constanze Pro (2012). A light cursive typeface based on Constanze (1954, Joachim Romann, Klingspor).
- Contact Pro (2010): after Contact, a 1963 font by Helmut Matheis.
- Diamant Pro (2012). A transitional serif face.
- Eurotech Pro (2011): a slabby techno family.
- Faulkner Pro (2011): a connected heavy signage script based on Alan Meeks's Kestrel.
- Fette Unger Fraktur (2010).
- Forelle Pro (2010): after the original Forelle script face by Erich Mollowitz, 1936.
- Frankenberg Pro (2012). An antique script face.
- Gmuender Gravur (2011). A 3d shadow face.
- Haenel Fraktur (2011), after Haenel Fraktur, ca. 1840 (Haenel'sche Letterfoundry in Berlin).
- Impuls (2010): a brushy face based on Paul Zimmermann's Impuls (1945).
- Initials RMU One (2012) consists of revivals of Rudhardsche Initialen (Otto Eckmann, ca. 1900) and Walthari Initials (ca. 1900, Rudhardsche Giesserei). Initials RMU Two (2012) consists of revivals of Jubilaeumsinitialen (by Bauersche) and Augsburger Initialen (by Peter Schnorr, 1901).
- Jobs Gravure (2011). It had to happen---a few days after Steve Jobs' death, Unger released the beveled engraved face Jobs Gravure, which is an extension of Trump Gravur (1954, Weber).
- Jolly Polly (2012): a curly non-connected script face.
- Kleist Fraktur (2010): after Walter Tiemann's original.
- Kompress Pro (2013). Two compressed sans typefaces.
- Leibniz Fraktur (2012) is modeled after the famous Genzsch & Heyse blackletter font.
- Liliom Pro (2012). A beautiful fat didone typeface based on an original from the Fonderie Française.
- Lipsia Pro (2011). An angular serif family.
- Literatura Pro Book (2012).
- Luxor Pro (2010): a Victorian/Western display face.
- Manutius Pro (2012).
- Meister Antiqua (2011, +Bold, +Book). A Typoart original from 1951 in the tall flared ascender serif genre, revived and extended.
- Mobil Pro (2011). A semi-script face in the fifties style of Matheis.
- Monument (2010): a 3d shadow roman caps face created after Oldrich Menhart's Monument.
- Neue Kurier (2011). Typoart's popular signage script font in a new, completely remastered version.
- Neue Muenchner Fraktur (2010).
- Neue Thannhaeuser (2011).
- Old Towne Pro (2010): a Western font.
- Parfum (2013). A low x-height script that was inspired by Howard Allen Trafton's Quick (1933, bauer).
- Parler Gotisch (2011). A blackletter face.
- Primana Pro (2012). A seductive geometric grotesk family.
- Prinzess Gravur (2010): a blackletter face modeled after Prinzeß Kupferstichschrift (1905, Berthold).
- Prisma Pro (2011). Revival and extension of Rudolf Koch's multiline face Prisma (1931).
- Reznicek Pro (2011) is a post-Victorian pre-art nouveau face named after Ferdinand von Reznicek (1868-1909), one of the leading artists and illustrators of those times.
- Ridinger Std (2012). Based on Riedingerschrift (Franz Riedinger, 1906, for Benjamin Krebs Succ.).
- Ronde Pro (2011): roundhand script.
- Schmale Anzeigenfraktur (2009): based on Koch's Schmale Deutsche Anzeigenschrift, 1923, Klingspor.
- Schmuckinitialen (2009): an ornamental caps face in the art nouveau style based on Walthari Initials [Walthari (1899, Heinz König for the Rudhard'sche Giesserei) in the upper case and Eckmann Initials (ca. 1900, by Otto Eckmann, Germany's chief art nouveau type designer) in the lower case].
- Schwabacher Book (2013).
- Staxx Pro (2013). A prismatic typeface.
- Thannhaeuser Fraktur (2013) is a redesign of Typoart's Thannhaeuser Fraktur.
- Titanschrift (2011). A yummy soft and fat display face.
- Trocadero Pro (2010): an extension and revival of Trocadero Kursiv, 1927, Albert Auspurg, Trennert.
- Troubadour Pro (2010): In Medium and Engraved styles.
- Trump Deutsch (2011): a blackletter face, after the 1935 original by Georg Trump.
- Trybuna (2013). Based on Herbert Thannhaeuser's Liberta Antiqua (1958), but completely redrawn.
- Tyton Pro (2013). A brush script after Heinz Schumann's famous 1964 Stentor.
- Typoskript Pro (2010): a revival of Hildegard Korger's Typoskript, first done at TypoArt in 1968.
- Unger Fraktur (2010): after a 1793 design by Johann Friedrich Unger; includes fett and mager.
- Walbaum Antiqua Pro (2013). A revival of Justs Erich Walbaum's didone classic.
- Zentenar Fraktur (2010): mager and halbfett; after the 1937 workhorse by Ernst Schneidler at Bauer.
- Zierfraktur (2010): after Deutsche Zierschrift, an engraved blackletter font that was cut by Rudolf Koch between 1919 and 1921 for Klingspor.
Klingspor link. [Google]
Greensburg, PA-based designer, b. 1973. Creator of the athletic lettering face Station 232 (2009). [Google]
[Ingrimayne Type (was: The Bovine Rebellion)]
Roger S. Nelsson
American designer in New York associated with ITC. Creator of these typefaces:
- ITC Bolt (1970, with Tom Carnase). Squarish and modular.
- ITC Machine (1970, octagonal font). ITC Machine equivalences: Machine, Motor (Corel-branded version of Bitstream's Machine), Automaton Caps (SSK), Mechanic (Softmaker), M651 Deco (SoftMaker), Pittsburgh (SWFTE), Metal Encasement (SWFTE), Monotone (WSI/IMSI).
- ITC Grizzly (1970, with Tom Carnase). Borrows elements of Kabel.
- ITC Ronda (1970).
- ITC Gorilla (1970, with Tom Carnase). This rough-edged face is based on Post Oldstyle.
- ITC Grouch (1970, with Tom Carnase). A heavy didone face.
- ITC Pioneer (1970, with Tom Carnase).
- ITC Honda.
- ITC Tom's Roman (1970, with Tom Carnase).
His fonts are available from ITC, Bitstream and Elsner&Flake (such as Pioneer No2 EF).
Linotype link. FontShop link. Klingspor link
View Ronne Bonder's typefaces. [Google]
Student at RIT in 2013. Rochester, NY-based creator of the free athletic lettering typeface Matchup (2013), Hickory (2013, a copperplate face in which all lowrcase characters are of the same size), Corduroy Slab (2013, free), Matchup Light (2013, free), Parliament (2013, spurred typeface), and Brassie (2013, free regular weight).
Behance link. Creative Market link (for buying his fonts). [Google]
Sam D. Wyatt
FontStructor who made the outline shadow faces One Square (2012) and One Square Shade (2012). [Google]
FontStructor who made the athletic lettering face See-Four Varsity (2012). [Google]
[Greek House of Fonts]
FontStructor who made Sensei322 Collegiate Font (2012), based on the athletic uniforms of the Baylor football team. [Google]
[Sport Betting Spot]
Company run by Roger Hartley, Pennington Gap, VA. The link went dead--its parent is The Design Center / DT&G. Some of the fonts are shown here: the Western fonts Hoedown and Laredo, the blackletter fonts Showcard, Water Lily, the caps font Penelope, the medieval script font Hemingway, the athletic lettering font Yorktown, and display faces Wellington (round hand calligraphy), Rumrunner, Rathskeller, Norseman, Almanac, Apothecary, Applegate, Archer, Archer Shadow, Carrie Lane, Dutch Master, Emporia, Flavius, Gigabyte and Hapsburg. All these are on their 60 USD CD called "The Great American Font Works", which has (had!) 132 nice decorative display fonts in all. In the old days, the font Jaclyn could be downloaded for free.
The list of fonts, all made in the period 1992-1995: AceReporter-Bold, AceReporter-BoldItalic, AceReporter-Italic, AceReporter-Normal, Alchemy-Black, Alchemy-Bold, Alchemy-Light, Alchemy-Normal, Almanac, Antigone, Apothecary, Applegate, Archer, ArcherShadow, Aztek, Bandit, BaroniPoster, Bastion-Bold, Bastion-BoldItalic, Bastion-Italic, Bastion-Normal, Bebop, BerniesJukeJoint, BrightSky, CarrieLane, Chiaroscuro, Compute, Delphi, Derby, Duffy, DuffyInline, Durham, DutchMaster, Emporia, Entendre, Enterprise, EuroBold, Fairlane, Fatso, Figment, Flavius-Wide, Flynn, FlynnHollow, FriarTuck, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Gorky, GravureText, GuildSans-Bold, GuildSans-BoldItalic, GuildSans-Italic, GuildSans-Normal, Hapsburg, Hemingway, Hoedown, IBeam-Extruded, Inagodda, Ivanna-Mediaeval-Bold, Ivanna-Mediaeval-BoldItalic, Ivanna-Mediaeval-Italic, Ivanna-Mediaeval, Jaclyn, Jalopy, Jamaica, Jitterbug-Bold, Jitterbug-BoldItalic, Jitterbug-Italic, Jitterbug-Normal, Jitterbug, JitterbugB, JitterbugBO, JitterbugO, Kapanti, Kashmir, Kasparov, KeyWest, Keyclick, Krypton3, LED, Laredo, Layla, MardiGras, Marilyn, Matinee (their name for Busorama), Metro, Monica, NewWorldText, Norseman, Obsidian, Parade, Peacenik, Penelope, Phoebe, Pompeii, PompeiiB, PompeiiBold, Projectile, Publisher, Quasar, Radical, Rathskellar, Rathskeller, Recycler, RibaldEncounter-Bold, RibaldEncounter-Normal, Roundup, Rumrunner, Sailing-Freehand, Sanford, Satchmo, Scratch, Secret, Serenade, ShowBiz, Showcard, Sigmond, SilverDollar, SkinnyDip, Sophocles (Greekish stone-cut writing), Sport, StCroix, Sunshine-Bold, Sunshine, SunshineB, Superbowl, Taiwan, ThisEndUp, Toons, Tophat, TophatEngraved, TraciJo, TwinTubes, Twizzler, VanRose, WaterLily, Wellington, Westchester, Westside, Yorktown. [Google]
Free font outfit by Bob Wertz that started production in 2009, mostly based on FontStruct: Micro 205 (dot matrix typeface), Scoreboard (athletic lettering), Valdes Poster Sans (2009, a casual hand-printed bold sans done in cooperation with Zoo Valdes), Aiken (art deco done at FontStruct), CerealBox (+Fill), Technobabble, Transmission (+Bold; FontStruct), Psuedoscript (2010, upright connected angular script), Powergrid (constructivist, FontStruct), Substation (constructivist, FontStruct), Dradis (FontStruct, kitchen tile face), Woodrow (FontStruct, octagonal; +Light), Infield (FontStruct), Grande (fat piano key font, FontStruct), Big Thursday (Wild West face, FontStruct), Dingbots and Monsters (pixel dingbat face, FontStruct), Foxtrot Sierra (maritime flags), Cerealbox (+Fill).
Powerlane (2012), his first commercial typeface, is an octagonal constructivist typeface family.
He writes about himself: Bob Wertz is a graphic designer and art director living in Columbia, SC. In addition to working as designer, Bob has been an adjunct professor at the University of South Carolina. He was a founding member of the AIGA South Carolina board, serving as vice president for two years and then as president for two years.
He also made some fonts with iFontMaker in 2010: SketchPad, LilyPad. Fonstructions in 2011 include Dingbots and Monsters XL.
In 2013, he codesigned the grungy tpeface Valdes Clarendon with Marius Valdes.
Klingspor link. Behance link. [Google]
Designer of the fat octagonal faces RAand RA(2008, FontStruct). [Google]
Owen Dawson (b. 1970, Scunthorpe, UK) initially created exclusively free typefaces. late in 2012, he went commercial via MyFonts. Owen lives in Darlington, UK.
Typefaces made in 2013: Prometheus, Video Pirate (grungy caps), LOL, NFL Jaguars (athletic shirt font).
His typefaces from 2012: Platoon, Manic Depressive, Spiderman Eclipse, Falling Skies, PIR2 (geometric stencil), Honeycombed (hexagonal), Dynamo Magician, Olympiad XXX (dingbats), London 2012, License Plate USA, Registration Plate UK (as used on both UK Standard and UK Standard 3D registration plates), I Am Sherlocked (grunge), The X-Files (old typewriter), The Amazing Spider-man, Marvel Heroes (comic book figurines).
He created these typefaces in 2011: the gothic faces ThunderCats-Ho, Papier Maché, Generator REX (grunge), Wizards Magic, Witches Magic, Dig Dug, Cross Stitch (stitching face), Monaco Stitch, Mythbusters (grungy, based on the famous TV show), Kryptoscripto (signage face), Farscape, Secret Mole, Silk, Heroes (handprinted), Dem Bones (letters made up of bones), Garfield (cartoon face), Accused (a white-on-black grotesk face), The Hands of Deaf (a sign language face), Crimson Petal (grungy), Battleforce 5 (Startrek face), Bakugan (heavy display face), Naked, Crimson Petal (after the title sequence of the Crimson Petal and the White), SpideRaY, Rosetta Stone, Stop Shark Finning, Calligraphy Pen, Double Pencil, Light Emitting Diodes (dot matrix face), Movember (moustache face), Pencil Stencil, Watchmen, Compostable.
Fonts from 2010 or earlier: The Deeper (2010), Trueblood (2009), FreeFontPro (2010), Misfits, Fangtasia, The Event, Clash of the Dinosaurs (2010), The Avengers (2010, futuristic), The Mighty Avengers (2010), Shaun The Sheep (2010), Joshuas Font (2010), Lazytown (2010, cartoon face).
Aliases: SpideRaY, Windows Tips Club. Abstract Fonts link. Dafont link. Dafont link to Spideray. Devian Tart link. Behance link. Another Behance link. [Google]
Sport Betting Spot
Sports Betting Spot is an unlikely organization to get involved in fontmaking, but miracles do occur. At Fontsquirrel, we find the free athletic lettering typeface Sports World (2012). The web site conveniently forgot to mention that its designer is the talented Ukrainian type designer Sergiy Tkachenko. The font covers both Latin and Cyrillic. Behance link. [Google]
Sports slab serifs
Stephen Coles and Kyle Johnston list sports slab serifs: Fontalicious' Academy, Agfa Monotype's Yearbook, Letraset's Princetown, Letraset's Superstar, Lineto's Hoboken High, Berthold's Colossalis (C791 Deco at SoftMaker), Berthold's City (Centrum at SoftMaker), and Fluent Laser Fonts' Collegiate. [Google]
Square Slabserif 711
A sports lettering font by Bitstream based on Berthold's "City". [Google]
FontStructor who made these fonts in 2009: 5x5 (pixel face), SignaPix (pixel script), MegaPixel, Steamwriter, Minimalista (4x4 pixel face), Square Off (programming font), 12segment (pixel face), Oriental Theatre, (+Smooth: condensed piano key faces), 7x7:1 basic Serif (pixel face), 7x7:2 Classic (pixel face), Square On, Sharp Perforation, Modern Monospace.
In 2010, he created Squeaky, Texico (a gorgeous Tex-Mex party headline face), Dutts Sans, Dutts Serif (dotted faces), Concrete Block (octagonal). Squareplane (+Sharp) and Tacky (a coffee bean font), Cancerous (pixl), Squrave (pixelish), Variable (pixel face), Impossible (pixel), Super (dotted), S-Video Real, Odds and Ends, Edward, Reversey, Rocky, Tacky (dotted), It Pops (athletic lettering), Bulge, Brick Block (3d face), Whoops, Gradient, Uniform Heavy, Uniform 2, Here Is Your Receipt, Filmstrip, 4444, Offf, Leave It To The Mind, Wayvee, Illusiyellow, Thunky, Jot It Down, QweABC, Bleach, 5x7 Practicali, Fancy 5x7 (pixel), Crispy, NoNoNo, S-Video, Blockish.
Creations from 2012: Hardclips (military stencil).
Typefaces from 2013: Expection. [Google]
Aka Stewf. Creator of the Mac version of "Monica", Andy Crewdson's digitization of Monica Lewinsky's handwriting (in notes she wrote for Bill Clinton). He also made Eerostyle (2008) with FontStruct, a parody of Eurostyle. Other fonts there include Pebble Soft, Pebble, Morricone (Far West spoof), Leaflet Gap (kitchen tile), Varsity (athletic lettering), MinimalBloc Gap (kitchen tile), WPA Gothic and WPA Gothic Deco (poster typefaces inspired by posters produced in the 1930s by FDR's WPA (Works Progress Administration) such as this one; similar poster types would include Futura Display, Tourist Gothic, FF Moderne Gothics, Refrigerator, and MVB Solano Gothic), Leaflet Wide Stem, Leaflet Stem and Leaflet. Links to his fonts there: eerostyle, leaflet, leaflet_gap, minimalbloc_gap, morricone, pebble_1, pebble_soft, varsity.
Stephen was a Utah-based graphic designer who used to design layouts for the USLC Chronicle. A typeface identifier with an encyclopedic mind, he runs the successful and lively type blog Typographica with Joshua Lurie-Terrell, Matthew Bardram and Patric King. He was Type Director at FontShop San Francisco from 2004-2010. Stephen is now a writer and typographic consultant, doing work for a variety of foundries and design studios.
Author of The Anatomy of Type: A Graphic Guide to 100 Typefaces (2012, Harper Design) and The Geometry of Type: The Anatomy of 100 Essential Typefaces (2013, Thames & Hudson, UK). Amazon link. [Google]
Quebec-based designer (b. 1971) in 2010 of the outline face Elégante and of the grunge faces Apocalypse Regular, Arbre, Autodestruction, Papineau (handprinted), de Lorimier, Gardien d'herbe, Elusion (organic), Cataclysme (grunge), Wolfred Nelson (rubber stamp caps), Chénier (grunge), Crack and Bold, Fleur de Lys (dingbats that are useful pour mon pays), Manuscrit, Ancien (grungy inline face), Confusion, Patriote 1837 Regular, Arbre (hand-printed) and Cloutier Script (hand-printed).
Typefaces created in 2011: Sioux Caps (ornamental caps: a scanbat face), Flower Cap (floriated caps), Damned (a grungy horror movie typeface), Sketch Me (a sketched face).
Typefaces from 2012: Dill Francis, I Hate Futur, Fabrics (stitch font), Stucco, Children, Hacking Trashed, Flower (floriated caps), Arbre, Patriotes 1837, Damned Deluxe, Trashed Light (grunge), Leather (ornamental caps), Punk Rock Show, Crack And Bold, Ana Eve (grunge), British Museum 1490 (ornamental caps), Nature Font (grungy caps), Chenier (grunge), Mosaique (a textured typeface), Motor Pieces (commercial), Mixtec Codice (Maya, Aztec or Inca dingbats), Parkinson (grungy outlines), Ludger Duvernay, Monster, Sponge, Napoleon (a nice fat poster face), Negative Film, Nelson Old Newspaper, Fuck Autority (sic), Rene Levesque (hand-printed), First Nation (an Indian scanbat face), Pustule, Emilie (hand-printed caps), Papineau (hand-printed), Sixties, Dali, Midnight (brush face), Fairy Tale (ornamental caps), Tiger Balloon (African-themed), Rafael (fat poster face), Sacred Place (heavy poster family), Pistache Regular (unicase Plakat font), Morning Stress, Hippie Gypsy (ornamental caps), FBI Old Report (old typewriter face), Mitsouskos, Ten O Clock (a multiline hand-printed face), Strawbwrry, Jewels, CF Night of the Damned, CF One Two Trees (tree-themed), Hagadou (bejeweled letters), CF Punk Forever (white on black grunge), CF Anabelle (curly script), CF Samurai Bob, CF Marie-Eve, CF Christmas Shit, CF Pinceau (fat brush face), CF Deco 1492, CF Cracked Stone, CF Metropolis Serif, CF Punky, CF Snowball (snow-capped glyphs), CF Tuques, CF Revolution, CF Fashion, CF Tissus, CF Christmas Letters, CF Diamond (diamond-studded letters), CF Stencil Orama, CF Dallas Stars (stars and stripes face), CF Old Photograph Credit Font, CF Christmas Letters.
Typefaces from 2013: CF National Stitches, CF Spaceship, Historia (sans caps), CF WireFrame, CF NaVia, CF Sortilege, CF Spirality, CF Charlie, CF Fredo Style, CF Little Monsters (alphadings), CF Tissus, CF I Love Montreal (fat finger face), CF Jungle, CF Paris (art deco caps), CF Marie Eve Cartoons, CF Circuit Electrique, CF Jack Story, CF Punk Attitude, CF Billabong, CF I Want To Believe Comp (grunge), CF Zombie Party (crayon or lipstick font), CF Life Is Beautiful (paint font), CF Gothika (grungy blackletter), CF Manifesto (painted letters), CF Rise of Nations, CF The Lost Batallion, CF Armageddon, CF Electronic Board, CF Old Typography (letterpress font), CF Modern 165, CF Hockey Players (dingbats published on the day the Montreal Canadians were humiliated, 6-1, by the Ottawa Senators in the Stanley Cup playoffs), CF Nelson Old Caracters (sic), Peru Adventure, CF Montreal High School (athletic lettering), Urban Life (textured font), CF Same Old Story (grunge), CF Plants And Flowers, CF Cant Change The World (clean, hand-printed), CF Jeanne Mance, CF Jeans Collection (textured), CF Alien Abduction, CF Rebelle (brush font), CF Jungle Adventure, CF Never Trust A Hippy, CF Anarchy (ransom note font), CF Life Is A Dream (grunge), CF Farwest, CF Typocraft, CF Politicians Killers (blood drip face), CF Technomania, CF Technorama, CF I Love Ugly Fonts, CF Ribbon, CF Tree Of Life, CF Revenge, CF Back to School, CF Nut And Bolts, CF Final Conflict (brush script), CF Nostalgia (brush face), CF Industrial Fabrics (textured face), CF Font Shading, CF Rock Age, CF Nouvelle France (antiqued alphabet), CF My Bloody Valentine, CF Ceinture Flechee (multilined typeface), CF Disappointed, CF Atlantide, CF Bucherons (texture face), CF Simon Marchessault (hand-printed), CF Haunted House (brush face), Gray Texture, CF Space Cowboy (textured typeface).
Fontspace link. Klingspor link. Dafont link. [Google]
Rochester Institute of Technology's School of Printing graduate who lived in California and in Holland, MI, and now resides in Louisville, Colorado. He was a disciple of Chuck Bigelow and Kris Holmes. MyFonts page on him. In 1990, he started work at Monotype in Palo Alto to create the Windows truetype core fonts Arial, Times New Roman and Courier New. He stayed with Monotype and then Agfa/Monotype until 2003 (when he was probably fired, but that is only an unreliable guess), directing type development from the design office in Palo Alto, CA. Bio at Agfa/Monotype. He has directed branding projects such as Agilent Technology's corporate sans serif and Microsoft's corporate font family 'Segoe'. At the same time, he was involved in producing bitmaps and outline fonts for cell phones and TV set top environments. He has worked extensively designing Greek, Cyrllic, Thai, Hebrew and Arabic alphabets to satisfy the requirements of customers such as IBM, Microsoft, Nokia, Sun and Sybase. In 2004, he co-founded Ascender Corporation in Northbrook, IL, where he remained Type Design Director until Ascender was bought by Monotype, where he now heads the type design team (12 people in all, as of 2013).
CBC interview in 2012. Fontspace link. FontShop link. At ATypI 2011 in Reykjavik, he spoke on typefaces for Android OS.
- Andale Mono: Andalé Mono (also known as Andale Mono, Monotype.com) is a monospace sans-serif typeface designed for terminal emulation and software development environments. It was originally created by Monotype. Andalé Mono was first distributed as an Internet Explorer 4.0 add-on under the name Monotype.com. In version 1.25 of the font, it was renamed to Andale Mono, distributed with Internet Explorer 5. It is often used by programmers, and is bundled with Mac OS X.
- Andy, his first face, a design based on a friend's lefty handwriting. Published at Agfa's Creative Alliance.
- Arimo (2010). A free sans family at Google Code that is metrically compatible with Arial.
- Ascender Sans Mono (2004-2008), metrically compatible with Courier New. Ascender Serif (2005, 4 styles) is metrically compatible with Times New Roman.
- Ascender Uni Duo is a fixed-width comprehensive Unicode-compatible font available with support for the Unicode Standard. Ascender Uni Duo is a 39MB TrueType font with approximately 53,000 glyphs. The Latin and related glyphs (designed by Steve Matteson) are Sans Serif, with Gothic ideographs drawn in Japanese style, and complementary styles for other scripts. There are also versions of Ascender Uni that provide localized support for Korean, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese. OpenType layout support is included for Arabic (initial, medial, final, isolate, and required ligature forms, as well as basic mark positioning), and vertical writing for CJK locales (consisting mostly of Latin, symbol, punctuation, and kana glyph variants). Character Set: Latin-1, WGL Pan-European (Eastern Europe, Cyrillic, Greek and Turkish), Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Hebrew, Arabic. Ashley Crawford.
- Ayita (2006, Ascender), a decorative sans family co-designed with Jim Ford.
- Bertham Pro (2009), 4 styles including Open, after Goudy's Bertham.
- Blueprint (1993).
- Chicory (2006, Ascender), a calligraphic script face.
- Cousine (2010). A free family at Google Code that is metrically compatible with Courier New. See also OFL.
- Creepy (Ascender Corporation): a Halloween font designed with Carl Crossgrove.
- Curlz MT. Done with Carl Crossgrove in 1995, based on wrought iron on chairs.
- Droid Sans, Droid Sans Mono and Droid Serif Pro: a font family designed in 2006-2007 by Steve Matteson at Ascender for Google's Android project, mobile phone software for handsets. Free download at CTAN.
- Dujour (2005, Ascender Corporation): an art deco revival of the 1930's typeface Independant by Joan Collette and Jos Dufour for Plantin. Compare with the free Independant by Apostrophic Labs.
- Endurance Pro (2009): neo-grotesque sans.
- Facade Condensed.
- Fineprint, a design loosely based on his own penmanship ("on a good day"). Another Creative Alliance face.
- Friar Pro (2009): Friar Pro is a revival of Frederic W. Goudy's "Friar" typeface. Goudy described this typeface design as a 'typographic solecism' as it combines a lowercase of half-uncial forms from the 4th through 7th centuries with an uppercase of square capitals from the 4th century. Friar was originally designed in 1937 and used to print a Christmas keepsake produced by Goudy and printer Howard Coggeshall. The fire that burned Goudy's studio in 1939 destroyed the drawings and matrices before many metal fonts were cast. Of all that was lost in the fire, Goudy once said he missed Friar the most.
- Gill Floriated Caps.
- Goudy Fleurons (2010).
- Goudy Ornate (2002). Unsure if Matteson made this or Carl Crossgrove.
- Kennerley. Based on Goudy's Kennerley family.
- Kootenay (2006, Ascender), a sans family.
- LeBeau: signage font.
- Lindsey Pro (2006, Ascender): a cursive script based on his niece's hand.
- Louisville Script (2008): Ordinary handwriting.
- Massif Pro (2006-2011, Ascender).
- Mayberry (2008, ascender): a 14-font sans family with extremely large x-height and strange proportions. Mayberry semibold is free.
- McZee, a Microsoft symbols font.
- Open Sans. A free family.
- Newstyle. Based on Goudy's 1920 face, Newstyle.
- Pericles Pro (2005): An Ascender face based on the work of Robert Foster who created the original for American Type Founders in 1934), a 433-glyph OpenType font for Greek simulation or stone cut looks.
- Pescadero Pro (2005): a serif face.
- Rockwell Team (Ascender): an athletic lettering face.
- Rebus Script (2009): done with Terry Weinzierl.
- Scooter Script (2009, Ascender): comic book style face.
- Segoe (2009, Ascender) and Segoe Mono (2012, Ascender: with Jim Ford) and Segoe TV (1997-2004, done for MSNTV).
- Tinos (2010). A free serif family at Google Code, metrically compatible with Times New Roman.
- Titanium (2006), an organic font. Titanium Motors (2012) is a techno font.
- Truesdell, a revival and extension of the "lost" Goudy types cut in 1931. Also at Creative Alliance. Also includes Truesdell Sorts.
- Tucker Script (2009, Ascender): ordinary handwriting face.
- Twentieth Century Poster (2002), an art deco display font straight from the late 1920s.
- Verdorgia (2010): an ugly duckling.
StockBucket was founded in May of 2004 by graphic designers David Phillips and Traci Daberko in Seattle, WA. David Phillip had earler run Radar Design (est. 1995), also in Seattle. One can purchase these creations at MyFonts: B-52 (Italic, Regular, Shadow), Bamboo, Konstruct (2002, Bold, Alternate, Outline, Regular, Shadow, square, Thin), KutOut, Massi, Princess, Sunset, RV Park (Western), Stock Stuff (dingbats). These are mostly display faces.
David Phillips made B-52 (2001, octagonal face inspired by the lettering used on the vehicles of the U.S. military; also, athletic lettering), Bamboo, Konstruct, KutOut (a cut out face, dadaist satyle), Massi, Stock Stuff, Tony's Trees (2003, after a dadaist poster style pioneered by Saul Bass).
Traci Daberko made Sunset, RV Park and Princess.
View StockBucket's typefaces. [Google]
Keith Tricker (b. 1949) is the Creative Director of a UK advertising agency, and during his career has worked as both a copywriter and art director. MyFonts lists him as Keith Gordon. Klingspor link.
His foundry is Studio K: The foundry specialises in display fonts designed primarily for advertising, publishing, product packaging and signage.
He created the wavy face Calypso (2011), the techno face Charta (2011), the sturdy black face Anvil (2011), Jazz Age (2011, art deco), and the brush face Pagoda (2011).
In 2012, he published Hollywood Hills, Pier Arcade, Graffix, Skeleton Slab, the art deco typeface Tea Dance, the art nouveau typeface Paris Metro, Oscar Bravo (a heavy octagonal typeface), Café de Paris (a stylish retro--futuristic fifties style typeface), Barrowboy, and the stylish Contessa family.
Typefaces from 2013: Regency (influenced by Americana and Optima, it is a flared very humanist sans), Alma Mater (athletic lettering), Showbiz (inline typeface), Dynatron (retro sci-fi font), Mechanoid (elliptical techno sans), Canterbury (inspired by the shapes of the cathedral), Export Drive (a bold condensed cargo stencil), Soft Rock (bold condensed sans), Red Top, Colossus (an elliptical face that is a bit squarer than Microgramma), 4Square (elliptical), Aspidistra (art nouveau), Home Grown. [Google]
Mickey Rossi graduated in 1986 from the Philadelphia College of the Arts. He then worked in Maryland and Virginia, such as at AOL in Dulles, VA, and is a creative director in Atlanta, GA since2004.
He offers these free typefaces under the Subflux label: Alpha Male Modern (1997), AthleticSupporter, BallparkWeiner (connected fifties script), BarBenderBold, BobbiTheHippie, BongoFraktur (in Koch's Neuland style), CargoCrate (stencil), CollegeBoy (athletic lettering), FlandersRideItalic, FlandersRide, Fleetwilly, FlyTrapExtended, Hair Brush, HighlightsCondensed, Helga Broad, Hilda Broad, JimThorpeHigh (octagonal / mechanical), LevelFourteenDruid (medieval), LifestyleCondensed (avant garde), NotANumber, On That Shark (angular), RetroSuperSkinny (Peignotian), SatansMinions, Scrawlly, Scritchy Eye, Zerengetti (African look), ZiggyStandard. Rossi calls himself also "Loveless".
Dafont link. Klingspor link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
Sven Tobias Kils
Frankfurt-based designer of the athletic lettering font Phase 05 (2003). Dafont link. [Google]
[Casady & Greene]
Designer of these faces at FontStruct in 2008: Upson Downs, Big Block Sans, Serabunde (outline face), Sampson Mono Sans, Spandantic, Decal (athletic lettering face), Collegiate Solid, Iconic Louvre, Ma Bennett, Collegiate Outline, Blockhead, Zataganges, Micro G (based on Microgramma), This Way Up, Fraktured Bubbles, Movie Clip Reversed, Domtext (blackletter), Guido (flowery caps face), Guido Light, Misery (pixel face), T-Squared, Whisper, Samus, Rybald, Easter Island, Rybald Normal, Hairy Bugger II Clone, Texture Fancy and Texture Graph paper (both based on Wolfkrim's blackletter face Texture), Sausage Factory, Klingon Blade II Heavy, New Gotham, Whipstitch (stitching face). Additions in 2010: Sectarian, Sectarian Outline. [Google]
[Michael Gene Adkins]
The Fontry is a Watts, OK, based outfit, est. 1992 by Michael Gene Adkins (b. 1965, OK) and James L. Stirling (b. 1964, OK): Digital type for computer-aided signmaking, with fonts designed for signmakers by signmakers.
Since 2009, they have been producing various digitizations of alphabets designed by Alf R. Becker in the 1930s and 1940s. Gene Adkins designed (2013, didone), ARB 85 Modern Poster JAN-39 (2011, after Modern Poster Script, 1939), ARB-70 (1995), ARB-67 (1998), ARB-66 Neon (2010, +Block, +Line), ARB-44 (1995), ARB-96 Jitter Display DEC-39 (1999), SCRIPT1 ARB-85 Poster Script Normal (2000), ARB-66 Neonline Block, ARB114 Hillbilly Roman JUN-41 Normal (1999), ARB-187 Moderne Caps AUG-47 CAS family (2009, a beautiful didone display face), the ARB 08 Extreme Roman AUG-32 CAS family (2009), ARB-218 Big Blunt (2010), ARB-218 Neon Blunt.
Another product is the Wild Bunch Pak #3: Danthr Skal, Kastaka, Gas Bumps, Skrawl 613, Sharrpe Gothik, Levo Fraz, Kommerce, Stellar Spice, Infected Hurt.
Wild Bunch Pak #2 (50 USD) has Marbles&Strings, Keetoowah, Peppermint, Ghixm (2008: a retrospective of the horror comics and movie posters of the 1960s and the 1970s), Klash, all outline fonts. In Wild Bunch Pak #1, look for Toxia. Race Pak #1 contains 5 chiseled fonts, including ARB67, Brannt Chiseled, Excursions, JLS Ultra, and Race Checkers. 50 USD. There are also Greek Pak #1 (12 Greek fonts for 25 USD, including GRK Orbit, GRK Universe City, GRK Albert, and GREK Bodnaut) and Signfaces Narrow Pak #1. At Garagefonts, Wild Larra, Wild Ruts, Wild Toxia, Wild Nobody families (1999).
Adkins also designed the commercial font First Vision at GarageFonts in 1998. Review at &Type. List of the fonts on his CD.
MyFonts sells FTY Garishing Worse (2011---there is a free version at Dafont), SCRIPT1 Team (2010), SCRIPT1 Toon (2010), SCRIPT1 Voodoo Script (1999-2009, signage script), What Sound Pounds (2009), WILD3InfectedHurtNormal (2010), WILD1 Firstvision (1997), WILD1 Larra (1997, grunge), WILD1 Nobod (1997, grunge), WILD1 Ruts (1997), WILD1 Toxia (1997) and the blackletter faces Ironhorse and Ironrider (2007), revivals of classic wood type faces. FontShop link.
Some fonts are inspired by sign painter Frank H. Atkinson. These include the Broken Poster series done in 2010 and FHA Modernized Ideal Classic (2011).
In 2008, The Fontry published the Greek Font Set, Copper Penny DTP (after Copperplate Gothic, but with lower case included), Droeming (an eerie family) and Earth A.D. (more eerie stuff, metallic, and with sharp serifs). It then generated a break-away subfoundry that carries fonts solely designed by James Stirling, Fontry West. Fontry West is located in Tulsa, OK. At MyFonts, these Fontry West fonts can be bought: Iron, WILD1 Firstvision, WILD1 Larra, WILD1 Nobody, WILD1 Ruts, WILD1 Toxia, WILD2 Ghixm, Greek Font Sets 1 and 2 (not Greek, only Geek-ish, made for fraternity use), and a large Comic Fanboy set which includes glyphs painted with stars and stripes (CFB1 American Patriot, CFB1 Captain Narrow, CFB1 Shielded Avenger, all made by Adkins). The CFB1AmericanPatriot family (2009), and the SCRIPT1 Rager Hevvy family (2009) are free here. JLS Overkill (2009, Bloque, Stencil, Grunge, Champion [athletic lettering], Hammer) is a sturdy family covering everything from SUV-strength stencils to grunge stencils and macho slab serif headline faces. After Disaster (2008), FHA Eccentric French Normal (2008, wood type after an alphabet created by Frank H. Atkinson in 1908), WHATSOUNDPOUNDS?Normal (2009) are free at Dafont. Sinder (2010) is a grunge face. FTY Konkrete (2010) is constructivist, and has a beveled weight. FTY Strategycide (2010) is a similar severe headline sans family. Sinder (2010) and Demon Sker (2011) are free grunge faces. American Purpose (2011) is a grotesk family. American Purpose Casual and American Purpose Stripe (2011) are follow-ups. Garishing Worse (2011) is a casual bold face. Sharpe Gothik (2011) is hand-drawn. American Captain (2011, a manly retro squarish propaganda headline face; see also American Captain Patrius 02 FRE). Deathe Maach (2012) is a sturdy 6-style display family. Avengeance (2012) is a techno typeface. FHA Condensed French (2012, by Michael Gene Adkins and James L. Stirling) and FHA Nicholson French (2012, art nouveau) are based on Frank H. Atkinson's examples.
Typefaces from 2013: FHA Broken Gothic (a layered chiseled family done with James Stirling, based on Broken Poster by Frank H. Atkinson), FTY SKRADJHUWN (a flared family), Iron Man of War (with layering effects, +001Rivet), Iron Man of War 2 NCV, RACE1 Brannt (prismatic, beveled, art deco), FTY Skorzhen (mini-spurred), FTY Speedy Casual, FTY Skradjhuwn NCV (comic book family).
Typefaces made by Fontry West. Typefaces by Mike Adkins.
Fontspace link. Klingspor link. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
[Letters en Plaatjes]
Thomas Kaeding started his own foundry in Ann Arbor, MI, in 2011. Typefaces made in 2012 include Ollie Wollie (a true geometric monoline family), Sarcasticity (stencil), Undergrad (athletic lettering; +Exscribed), Moon Type (Moon Type is modelled after Dr. Moon's original poster. He developed this embossed writing system to help those who have lost their sight later in life, and so are familiar with the shapes of English letters. Moon writing is still used, and you can find books written with it), Lycian Monolith, Kaeding Braille, New York Point (Braille face), Masonic Code, Felt-Tip Futhark, the avant-garde monoline geometric family Yesterday, and the Broadway-style all caps art deco family Roaring 20s. Angl (2012) is a thorough exploration of the possibilities of hexagonal type design. Squiddles (2012) is a fun display face. Personal Manifesto (2012) is a holographic typeface for giving your anonymous letters to the government that personal touch that shows you care. [Google]
Tina E.J. Raparanta
Todd Milligan (Dust Bowl Artistry, Fort Worth, TX) created some custom athletic lettering typefaces in 2013 for organizations such as TCU and C-USA.
Behance link. [Google]
Tom Barden created the geometric but also playful typeface Evolution (2009). He also made Africa Type (2010) and the octagonal athletic lettering face There It Is (2009). Visually Interesting (2009) is a type experiment. Unity (2011) is a heavy octagonal poster face. He is also working on Airport Icons (2011). He is based in London and is a graphic designer and photographer. Home page. [Google]
Tony Geddes designed Flamenco Inline (Letraset and ITC, 1979) and Spotlight (Letraset and ITC, 1989). In 1968, he created the avant-garde face Capone. He was the co-chair with Dave Farey of Panache in London. He also made an athletic lettering typeface which was at the basis of Sis Boom Bah NF (2007, Nick Curtis). [Google]
Total Font Geek
Nate Halley (aka Total font Geek) is the creator of free fonts, mostly made with FontStruct. The handwriting typefaces were made with MyScriptFont.
Typefaces from 2013: Halleyvetica Neue NBP (hand-printed), Grishenko Opiyat NBP (inspired by Spaceport, House Industries), Cinema Gothic NBP (octagonal), NBP Readout, Dexter NBP, Roentgen NBP (pixel face), Super Thing NBP, On Strike NBP, Quantifier NBP, Voyager NBP (sci-fi face), Cellblock NBP, Klassiq NBP, Rosenkrantz (pixel face), Octapost (octagonal), Snare Drum One NBP, Meyer Gothic NBP (octagonal), Mindfuct NBP (squarish), Miranda NBP, Spire NBP (squarish), Casale Two NBP (pixel face), Kernel Panic, Sebastian Gothic NBP, Theorem NBP, Signus Digital Round (pixel face), Signus Bold, Saville Row NBP, Kernel Panic NBP, Guru Meditation NBP (pixel face), Mayfair NBP (pixel face), Calibration Gothic NBP Latin (pixel face), Mercutio NBP Basic (pixel family), Plutonium NBP (octagonal), Mr. DNA NBP, Mr. Kamikaze NBP, Kraftwagen Grotesk (inspired by DIN).
The list of typefaces made in 2012: Astragal NBP (pixel face), Nine by Five NBP (pixel font), Lionel Micro NBP (pixel font), Brighton NBP (2012), Brighton Two (2012, +Sans, +Serif, +Gothika), Synchronizer NBP (pixel face), Blackpool NBP, Forty Seven NBP, Motorik NBP, Spyware NBP, Balthasar Regular (pixel face), Kensington Gothic NBP (sci-fi), Energy Dome NBP, Mushroom Kingdom NBP, Nintendo Dingbats NBP, Skyline Beach NBP (octagonal), Book Report, Stevenage NBP, Northside NBP (fat finger face), Please Don't Leave NBP, Raven Sans NBP (inspired by Bank Gothic), Raven Serif NBP, Grishenko Novoye NBP (+Cyrillic), Nintendo Dingbats NBP, Wensleydale Gothic, Dear Katie (hand-printed), Prospero NBP (pixel font for game consoles), Middle School Crush NBP, Kinderarten NBP, Class Project NBP, Aristotelian NBP (Greek simulation font), Akron NBP (Akron Sans NBP, Akron Serif NBP), Erbos Draco Nova NBP (dot matrix font), Shylock NBP (dot matrix face), JustAnotherDay NBP, Soo Bawlz NBP (athletic lettering font based on the logotype from the Hardcore Devo albums), Beautiful World NBP, Basil Gothic NBP, Halleyvetica NBP, HalleyScriptThin NBP, GradeSkooler NBP, GrishenkoNBP (rounded techno sans), Glasstown NBP, Kinishinai NBP (octagonal), Corporate Gothic NBP, Erbos Draco Monospaced NBP (dot matrix face), Smart Patrol NBP (pixel face), Recombo NBP (+Round), Zarbville NBP (pixel face), Weird Science NBP (sci-fi typeface), Sharp Objects NBP, Casale Micro NBP, Dilithium Pixels NBP, Casale NBP, One Time NBP, Schutzgitterhaus-Grotesk NBP.
Fontspace link. FontStruct link. Another Fontspace link. [Google]
Quezon City (Philippines)-based designer of revivals and opportunistic typefaces, who is quite active on newsgroups like alt.binaries.fonts. His production is impressive:
Alternate URL. Fontspace link. Partial catalog from 2010. Dafont link. Abstract Fonts link. [Google]
- Typefaces from Dan Solo's books: Pluto Outline (2012), a 3d beveled typeface from page 82 of Solo's Outline Alphabets. K22 Angular Text (2012, an interpretation of Herman Ihlenburg's 1884 Victorian typeface Angular Text Mackellar, Smiths and Jordan), K22 Helve Cursive (based on Helvetica Serif by Dan Solo; other digitizations include Pen Tip (WSI) and Renania (Intellcta)), K22 Spiral Swash (Victorian), K22 Athenian Wide (2011: K22 Athenian Wide is Athenian Wide on page 5 of Circus Alphabets: 100 Complete Fonts by Dan X. Solo; see also Tobias SSK), K22 TriLine Gothic (2011, a multiline art deco face based on Ross F. George's TriLine Gothic from 1956), K22 Timbuctu (2011: this is the Arabic simulation face Timbuctu on page 73 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces and on page 95 of Special Effects and Topical Alphabets: 100 Complete Fonts by Dan X. Solo), K22 Didoni (2011, + Swash: a fat face based on Didoni from page 33 of Swash Letter Alphabets: 100 Complete Fonts by Dan X. Solo and also on page 140 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces), K22 K22 Eureka (2010, based on Eureka from Dan X. Solo's book "Circus Alphabets, 100 Complete Fonts"), K22 Monastic (2010, based on Monastic from Victorian Display Alphabets by Dan X. Solo), Solo Ornaments (2003, based on Solo's books), K22 Eclair (2010, a decorative Western face Toto found in Dan X. Solo's book on Victorian alphabets, but which in fact dates back to Hans Brehmer in 1868), K22 Karnak Deco (2009, a slab serif based on Karnak Deco from the Moderne Alphabets by Dan X. Solo and published by Dover Publications in 1999).
- Revivals of Letraset phototypes: K22 Lucifer No. 1 (2012, a beveled neon-look face).
- Typefaces from 101 Alphabets (W. Ben. Hunt and Ed. C. Hunt, The Bruce Publishing Company, New York, 1958): Saisa (2011, art deco face), K22 Amihan (2011, an art deco face, after this original).
- MICR fonts: K22 GKW Computer (2011, a MICR font which is based on KW Computer from ATF, and looks very similar to Moore Computer), Auto Mission (2011, after Auto Mission was derived from the MICR font Automation Shaded on page 3 of Solo's Special Effects and Topical Alphabets, and is more complete than Otto Mason SH, the Soft Horizon digitization of Automation).
- Fonts based on work by Ross F. George: K22 TriLine Gothic (2011) is based on Tri-Line Gothic by Ross F. George in Speedball Text Book, 17th Edition, 1956.
- K22 Xanthus (2012, based on Xanthus Computer, a dry transfer (or rub-on) font from Mecanorma).
- K22 Stile Ballmer (2011, after an art deco face made by Walter Ballmer for Olivetti), Mallary (2011, based on Mallary from page 43 of Dan X. Solo's Moderne Alphabets).
- K22 Landi Linear (2011, after Nebiolo's Landi Linear).
- Le Pochoir (2011, an art deco stencil face (à la Futura Stencil) based on an alphabet from Plate 40 of La Lettre dans la Peinture et la Publicité by Jean Joveneaux, Paris, 1987), Le Pochoir Creux (2011), Lettre dans le decor (2011, based on an alphabet from "La Lettre dans le Decor et la Publicité Modernes").
- Splash Gordon (2011, +Inline; after the title of Flash Gordon, the movie).
- Soccer shirt fonts: Brooks Chile (2011, used by Chile in the 2010 world cup), SwitchImage FC Copenhagen (2011, used by FC Kopenhagen), Azmie WC2010 South Korea (2010), SwitchimageACMilan (2010), FCBarcelona (2010), Azmie WC2010 United States (2010), Azmie WC2010 England (2010), Azmie WC2010 Australia (2010), Azmie WC2010Brazil (2010, based on a vector image by Kuala Lumpur-based Azmie for the Brazilian World Cup team), Azmie WC2010Portugal, Azmie WC2010Netherlands, Azmie2Slovenija-2010, Real Madrid 2011 (2010), ABFonts RCD Mallorca 2012 (based on the shirts of Real Club Deportivo Mallorca, for the 2012-2013 season).
- K22 EricGill Shadow (2011, after Gill's 1929 face, Gill Sans Shadow 338; and K22 EricGill Shadow Line, an inline version).
- Sajou Fancy Gothic (2011, based on pages 3 and 4 of Sajou No. 236, a late 19th century French embroidery booklet).
- RAWB (2010, ultra fat family).
- Linyat Bilog (2010). A geometric monoline typeface.
- K22 Ambelyn Condensed (2010, based on Ambelyn Condensed, page 2 of Condensed Alphabets: 100 Complete Fonts by Dan X. Solo and also page 21 of The Solotype Catalog of 4,147 Display Typefaces where it is called Ambelyn), K22 Spiral Swash (2010, based on Spiral Swash from Dan X. Solo's Swash Letter Alphabets (p79)).
- Art Jam MakingFaces (2003, a great dingbat font based on designs found in Image Club Graphics' volume 30, called Art Jam).
- Town Sketches Bandstand (2003, based on volume 35 (Sketches On The Town)).
- Fonts based on Aridi's designs: Nabel Initials (2005, based on Marwan Aridi's Nabel from the Initial Caps Vol I), Anabel (2005, a simpler version of Nabel Initials), Blister Caps (2005, based on the Blister set from the Aridi Initial Caps Vol. 1), RegalAlt, RegalInitials (2005, based on the Regal set from the Aridi Initial Caps Vol. I), SpringAlt, SpringInitials (2005, based on the Spring set from the Aridi Initial Caps Vol. I), VictorianaAlt, VictorianaInitials (2005, based on the Victoriana set from the Aridi Initial Caps Vol. III), Tuscan Initials (2005, based on more of Marwan Aridi's alphabets), Napoli Initials (2009, more Aridi capitals), Gothic Initials (2009, Aridi-based), Romant Initials (2009, Aridi-based), Royal Initials (2009, Aridi-based), Stone Initials (2009, also based on Aridi).
- K22 You Know Who (2004, dingbats based on Dark Mark from the Harry Potter books).
- Gidget Cameo (2004).
- K22 Xerxes (2003, a stone carving typeface).
- Dover Birds (2012, based on the Birds Alphabet Coloring Book by Ruth Soffer, Dover Publications).
- K22 Spotty Face (2012, +Cyrillic) is a dot matrix font based on Tony Huggett's Spotty (Zipatone).
- K22 Gadget Lined (2012) is an art deco typeface based on Gadget Lined by Peter Bennett at Zipatone.
- K22 Lawenta (2012). A teepee-styled typeface (check also Nick Curtis's Wigwam NF). He says: The font is based on the alphabet on page 63 of 101 Alphabets by W. Ben. Hunt and Ed. C. Hunt (The Bruce Publishing Company, New York, 1958).
- K22 My Didot (2012). This is one of three known digitizations of CBS Didot.
- K22 Plural (2013) is a revival of the op-art font Plural made in 1971 by Vicente Rojo for the Mexican magazine Plural.
Tracer Tong (was: WhoAmI Type&Design)
Beautiful original fonts (freeware, shareware) by Glasgow-based Paul Reid, aka Tracer Tong. A partial list: Vannoidyk (2012, techno), Xiaxide (2012, circuit simulation typeface), Cursed Law (2012, grunge), Pixcel (2012), Ablattive (2012), Scratch To Reveal (2011), Techno Hideo (2011), High Score Hero (2011, horizontally striped glyphs), Hunter Squared (2011, a sci-fi face based on the movie The Predators), Nioc tresni (2011, dot matrix face), Lightman (2011, texture/[ixel family), Coalition (2010, a charcoal face), OhMyGod, Stars&Moons, Arrgh, Blokk, BulletHolz, DriftTypeSolid, DriftType, Emoticons, Encounter, FilmStrip, LiandriBETA, MatrixSchedule, OhMyGodStarsMoons, PixelBlock, Serifsy, TroubledGenius, WhereCracksAppear, ZX Font Pack (pixel faces), Dyers Eve, DecayedOptical, DirtyHead, DumbAss, Fade2Back, GameLogos (2003), HobbesFriend, InvisibleKiller, Obliquo, OhMyGodStars, Stryx, VenetiaMonitor, Gothikka, MedicationNeeded, Recognition, RecognitionNekkid, SeeTheBeast, Shredded, SirClive, Sucaba, WhatPossUse, ZX81, ZXSpectrum, Rekkoy (font with embedded Morse code), Staley (Alice in Chains), Abstrakt (nice!), Pliskin Snake Eyes (2006, a John Carpenter movie credit font), Top Billing (2006), Unrealised (2008), Steel Tongs (2006, an adaptation of Larabie's Steelfish), Playstation Buttons, Dirtyhead, Dumbass, Fenix Blackleter Caps (2011), Fade2Back, Gothikka, HobbesFriend, Invisible Killer (1997), Luggerbug, (the Gallahad inspired font) Mordred, Recognition (a barcode type font), See the Beast (crosshaired letters), ZX-Spectrum Keyboard, Steeltongs, Stigmata (this will be a classic display font!), DropCaps, Springfield Mugshots (dingbats), Intergalactic Megastar (2007, based on Digital Strip by Blambot), Jacinto Sans (2009, grungy face based on the titles for Gears of War), Universal-Accreditation (2006, condensed sans).
At Dafont, we find these fonts: BulletHolz, Coalition, DriftType-Solid, DriftType, DropCapsSans, DropCapsSerif, DumbAss, DyersEve, Dymeda, Gothikka, InvisibleKiller, JacintoSans, LiandriBETA, LuggerBug, MedicationNeeded, Obliquo, OhMyGodStars, PhatBoySlim-Bold, PhatBoySlim-BoldItalic, PhatBoySlim-Italic, PhatBoySlim, PhatboySlim Rough, Phatboy Slim College, PlaystationButtons, SeeTheBeast, Serifsy, Shredded, SpringfieldMugShots, Spyh, Sucaba, TroubledGenius, UniversalAccreditation-Italic, UniversalAccreditation, Unrealised, VenetiaMonitor, ZX81, ZXSpectrum.
Links: Typoasis site. Mirror site. Alternate page. Dafont link. Dafont link #2. Fontspace link. [Google]
Milwaukee, WI-based creator of these typefaces in 2012-2013: Yeti (squarish), Paris 1889, Abakka (futuristic, octagonal), Neue School (octagonal, athletic lettering), Runaway, Bastard.
Behance link. [Google]
Tal Leming is a graphic designer, type designer and letterer who lived in Wilmington, DE, but moved his stakes to Baltimore, MD. He graduated from Louisiana State University in 1997. An avid RoboFog scripter, he joined Erik van Blokland and Just van Rossum to initiate the RoboFab project in 2003. After graduation in 1997 from the Louisiana State University Graphic Design program, he worked as a designer at two agencies in south Louisiana. In September of 2001, Tal joined the House Industries staff as a designer in the Type Development, Product Promotions and Python Systems Implementation Department. He worked on the Ed Benguiat collection, for example.
In 2005, he left House and started his own company eventually called Type Supply. Type Supply designs typefaces for corporations and publications. Their typefaces:
- Baxter. An informal face used as a casula typeface in MyPublisher's BookMaker software. Commissioned by Christian Schwartz.
- Bullet (House). Bullet is based on a bit of lettering drawn by Ken Barber for the House Industries Pop Art package.
- Burbank (2007), a bouncy signage, animation, and package lettering family, about which Christian Schwartz writes: Well-drawn one-off display faces are easy to find, especially bouncy sans serifs. Complete suites of faces in this genre, however, are nearly impossible to find, especially families that are crafted with as much care as Burbank. I really appreciate seeing the attention to detail that usually goes into serious text family put into a family primarily intended for display use.
- House Gothic 23. Tal Leming writes: The family was originally designed by Allen Mercer for use on the company's commissions, most notably the legendary promotions for Custom Papers Group. In 1995, House released the family to the public with modest success, but it was largely relegated to the back of House's catalogs. House went through a bit of a sans serif obsession in the early 2000s and decided that it was time to give House Gothic its time in the spotlight. Rich Roat asked me to polish up House Gothic and make it a bit more usable. I completely reworked Allen's original drawings, making the letterforms work better in headlines, added accented glyphs, reorganized the styles and more. Once that was done, I added completely new Extended and Text styles. The family more than doubled its size into 23 total fonts and was rechristened House Gothic 23.
- Mission and Control. An athletic lettering family commissioned by Reebok for their 2008 NFL Sideline and NHL Center Ice collections.
- Ohm (2009). A neon type family.
- Runway (House). Runway is an ode to House's sans serif obsession of the early 2000s.
- Shag Lounge. a signage family: When I was working at House Industries, we decided that we should develop a font kit inspired by the work of Josh "Shag" Agle. Josh hadn't done much lettering work so we asked him to send us samples of lettering that he liked. Many of the things he sent featured whimsical, hand-cut lettering from the 1960s. We were really into this as well, so that formed the starting point for Shag Lounge. The typeface evolved into an amalgamation of a neo-grotesque style sans serif and hand-cut lettering.
- Timonium (2012) can be bought from Type Supply.
- Torque. An octagonal family with a great inline style. Torque (2009) began its life as an amalgamation of an American athletic lettering style and classic space lettering styles. There were also references to the video games, laser games and 1980s pre-teen sci-fi action movies of my youth.
- United Ark. A military stencil face: Clint Schultz hired me to create a custom version of United for use on props in a Paramount feature film. The main goal of the project was to perfectly match stenciled lettering seen in a film released 27 years earlier. How exciting was it to make a typeface for a sequel to a classic film that I grew up with? Very, very, very, very exciting. This font is not, and will never be, available for relicensing, so please don't ask.
- United. House industries commissioned me to develop the United family as an homage to stereotypical U.S. Military lettering styles. [...] United has become quite popular since its release and it has been seen just about everywhere from NFL coverage on FOX to the New York Times editorial page.
At ATypI 2008 in St. Petersburg, his talk (shared with Ken Barber) was entitled Pac-Man fever, quantum mechanics and the design of digital type.
Tal Leming's personal web site. Village link. [Google]
Typedepot is a small type foundry currently based in Sofia, Bulgaria, founded by MyFonts link and Veronika Slavova in 2009. Graphic designer from Sofia, Bulgaria, b. 1984 (Dimitrovgrad). Creator of the display faces Glide (2009, done with Veronika Slavova), Glide Sketch (outline version), and Slide (2009, ultra-condensed). With Veronika Slavova, he designed the multiline (prismatic) family Pista (2010) and the organic Oxo family (2010), which includes a stencil, Corki (2011, a condensed slab serif), and Oxo College Barrister Sans (2010) covers Latin, Greek, Eastern European languages, Cyrillic, Turkish and Baltic. Parallel (2010) is an ultra-condensed typeface for anorexics. Piron (2010, by Nedelev and Slavova) and Matilde (2010, by Nedelev and Slavova) are free. Banda (2011) is a 16-style semi-serif type family characterized by a tall x-height and rounded semi-serifs [one free weight]. Centrale Sans (2011, Slavova and Nedelev) is a modern sans family. Centrale Sans Condensed followed in 2012, and Centrale Sans Rounded in 2013.
Behance link. MyFonts link. Old URL. Dafont link. Klingspor link. [Google]
Ray Larabie (b. 1970) ran Typodermic in Mississauga, ON, which opened in the Fall of 2001. In 2006, it moved to Vancouver, BC, and in 2009 it moved on to Nagoya, Japan. Dafont page. Of course, Ray Larabie has been making fonts since 1996, but those early fonts were freeware. His pre 2001 fonts are grouped under the label Larabie Fonts. In 2001, he set up Typodermic. Latest additions.
The Typodermic fonts:
- 2013: Pastrami on Rye (cutout comic book style), Chickweed, Built (a condensed headline sans), Fluctuation (a softly rounded elliptical sans family), Astrochemistry (sci-fi, techno with rounded edges), Snasm (sci-fi).
- 2012: Zolasixx (inspired by the video game Zaxxon), Ampacity (neon font), Chromakey (a space deco headline font inspired by box art classic video games including Matrix Marauders and Magical Chase), Disassembler (1980s style bitmap font), Zerbydoo (a dot matrix family), Superego (a geometric-techno font inspired by the cabinet graphics for the 1981 Stargate arcade game), Rukyltronic (a set of dot matrix typefaces), Nerdropol (pixel family), Gulkave (rounded pixel font), Cyclopentane, Palamecia (a fat finger poster face), Gameness (a 1990 retro industrial deco font), Camulogen (headline face), Color Basic (a pixel face inspired the by TRS-80 Color Computer), Triac Seventy One (a funky face), Acroyear (retro all-caps headline font), Troll Bait, Strenuous (unicase), Permanence (a retro=futuristic font based on Alvin Toffler's cover of Future Shok, 1970), Clockpunk (octagonal and quaint), Battlemaze (trekkie face), Mixolydian (industrial sans).
- 2011: Ugocranis (a brutalist typeface), Clipwave, Wheaton (MICR-inspired), Mango Scribble, TRS Million (dot matrix face), Ugogranis (constructivist), Gomoku (paper cut face), From The Internet.
- 2010: Cranberry Gin (2010, octagonal), Restore (all caps, geometric sans), From The Stars (an elliptical techno family done with Chikako Larabie), Thrusters (space age face), Dream Orphanage, Kengwin (rounded slab serif), Gleaming The Cube (Greek simulation face), Vectipede (a slab serif family), Great Escape (an elliptical sans family), Subrocs (connected script), Hackensack (with Chikako Larabie), Polarband (bilined stackable headline face), Naked Power, Special Forces (a great macho slab serif headline face---watch for awards to roll in), Warugaki (handpainted), Warmer, Honfleur (art deco; with Chikako Larabi), Voivode (a headline face done with Chikako Larabie), Hachimitsu (Asian look face, done with Chikako Larabie), Kadeworth (rounded retro look sans, done with Chikako Larabie), Gnuolane Jump (2010, with Chikako Larabie), Markerfield (brush), Board of Directors (Bank Gothic style family, done with Chikako Larabie), GGX88 (a Swiss sans family), Body Goat, Reversal, Gord (techno), Computechnodigitronic (LED, LCD geek-look font), Bench Grinder, Inklea (a bubbly face), Skygirls (retro brush script), Gloss (a paint brush face based on Champion, 1957, G.G. Lange).
- 2010: Galderglynn Esquire.
- 2009: Maqui (an industrial headline sans family), Zingende (art deco family: caps only), Misadventures, Gaz (large retro sans family), Meloriac (heavy display sans), Acrylic Brush, Enamel Brush (a digitization of Catalina, 1955, Emil J. Klumpp), DDT (neutral sans), Thump (fat, casual), Desperate Glamour, Pricedown (an update of his free 1990s font, patterned after the lettering on The Price Is Right show), Mitigate (monoline and slabbed; has some typewriter styles), Catwing, Walken (slab serif stencil), Silicone (soft rounded sans family), Movatif (sans), Gunplay (a stencil family inspired by the poster for the 1972 Steve McQueen/Ali MacGraw film The Getaway), Fragile Bombers (octagonal), Forgotten Futurist (techno sans, 19 styles), Bullpen (slab serif), Coolvetica, Duality, Good Times, Strenuous, Shlop (paint-drip style), Dirty Baker's Dozen (stencil), Junequil (VAG Rounded style), Owned (graffiti), Domyouji, Threefourtysixbvarrel (stencil), Enacti, Uniwars (futuristic, 16 styles).
- 2008: Madawaska (a rugged slab serif), Ebenezer (grunge), Gnuolane Stencil, Raincoat, Report School (avant garde sans), Jesaya, Carouselambra (art nouveau), Debusen (rounded), Barge (military font), Renju (2008, potato or rubber stamp print face), Otoboke (handlettered), Hit (informal hand), R6 D8 (futuristic sans family), Rexlia (an octagonal machinistic family), Hybrea (a display sans with TV screen rounding), Sweater School, Tussilago (2008, a neutral sans family), Presicav (extended sans), Hover Unit, Addlethorpe (grunge), Scheme (rounded sans), Usurp (bouncy poster lettering), Negotiate (technical sans family), Divulge, Sewn, Gnoulane (condensed sans), Moja, Teeshirt (old typewriter face), Pound (art deco marries grunge), Graveblade (heavy metal font), Synthemesc (psychedelic anti-Starbucks font), Chysotile (white on black grunge), Cardigan (sans), Gurkner (balloon style), Reagan (grunge).
- 2007: Tight (a copy of Dean Morris's 1976 Letraset chrome font Quicksilver), Headlight, Meloche (a 3-style grotesk), Octin Spraypaint (grunge stencil), Octin Vintage (grunge), Bouffant (script), Octin Prison (stencil), Octin Sports (octagonal), Octin College (octagonal, for sports jerseys), Octin Stencil (free octagonal font family), Burnaby Stencil (stencil), Superclarendon, Conceal, Ohitashi, Stud (grunge), Bristles (grunge), Skirt, Cotton (grunge), Kelvingrove (a bit of copperplate gothic, rounded and shaved), Augustine, Containment, Snowa, Veriox, Scrubby, Transmute, Sheaff, Injekuta (techno), Rinse (grunge), Polyflec, Domyouji (square sans), Winthorpe (old style), Cutiful (script), Flyswim (grunge), Dirtstorm (spray-painted stencil), Shnixgun (grunge), Neuzon (grunge), Oxeran (old typewriter), PRINTF (grunge all caps monospaced), Akazan (sans), Nyxali (a metal tag face), Meloriac (an extra bold Futura inspired face), Nesobrite (25 styles of Bank Gothic lookalikes), Meloriac (headline sans), Walnut (graffiti face), Gnuolane (a narrow sans), Edifact (a damaged computer font), Darkheart, Stampoo (squarish), Raymond (rough script), Hayate (oriental look), Telephoto. The entire Octin series is free at DaFont.
- 2006: Octynaz (grunge), Paltime (ornamented), Jolie Ecriture Desard (children's hand), Mango (comic book face), Desard (child's hand), Bulltoad, Lerku (eroded serif), Charbroiled (also eroded), Ceroxa (eroded stencil), Nagomi (a chiseled-look Asian font based on calligraphy of Chikako Suzuki from Nagoya), Whiterock, Yellande, Chilopod (a futuristic face inspired by the logo from the 1980s videogame, Atari Centipede), Order, Goldburg (based on a typeface by George Bowditch, 1957), Laserjerks (2006, brutalist), Milibus (futuristic), Bonobo (serifed), Ohitashi, Sarasori (TV-tube shaped face in the style of Oban), Structia (an octagonal family), Betaphid (octagonal), Gendouki (futuristic stencil), Slugger (athletic lettering), Marianas (a gorgeous art deco face), Lineavec (octagonal), Corzinair (serif family), Buxotic (a great caps face), Cinecav X (for closed caption TV and DVD), Salsbury (comic book face), Lonsdale (loosely based on a font called Parkway Script, which was designed by Emil Hirt in 1964), Alepholon (futuristic), Kwokwi, Mikadan (a tribute to Stephenson Blake's Verona from 1948, which was in turn based on William Dana Orcutt's Humanistic from 1904), Marion (a beautiful transitional family), Quasix (hookish), Skraype (grunge stencil), Bleeker (casual lettering), Linefeed (monospaced line printer font), Draculon (a casual face inspired by the letterforms of William Orcutt's humanistic font from 1904 which was in turn based on an Italian manuscript from 1485), Mahavishnu (a mix between 1970s psychedelics and art nouveau), Doradani (a corporate identity sans family), Korotaki (futuristic).
- 2005: Kadonk (a Halloween face), Report (a VAG-Rounded style face), Croteau (a poster face), Heroid (ook face), Barrista (informal script), Wyvern (sans serif), Wubble (like puddles of water), Caryn (casual script), Folder (a rigid sans family), Venacti (a futuristic family), Xenara (a keyboard lettering family), Emory (a destructionist sans family), Ligurino (neat sans&serif family), Biondi (update of Copperplate Gothic; followed in 2010 by Biondi Sans; these copperplate style faces are in the style of AT Sackers), Byington (Trajan column lettering), Sayso Chic, Expressway (28 weights, a highway signage family), Algol (pixel type), Meposa (fat display face), Tandelle (condensed), Vigo, Maychurch, Mecheria, Vactic (dot matrix), Zosma, Topstitch, Windpower, Llandru, Soap (a creative extension of Cooper Black, with dingbats), Kleptocracy (1999-2005), Owned, Rimouski (sans), Sinzano (sans with opentype ligatures galore; compare, e.g., House Ed Interlock), Zamora.
- 2004: Affluent, Threefortysixbarrel (stencil face), Tank, Telidon (dot matrix face), Funboy, Neuropol X, Neuropol Nova, Mufferaw (comic book face), Larabiefont, Zekton (techno), Strenuous 3D, Silentina (advertised as "a silent movie font"), Amienne (brush script), Fenwick Outline (free), Betsy Flanagan (1998, a keyboard face), Boopee (children's handwriting), Pirulen (in the general Bank Gothic style), Zalderdash.
- 2003: Zupiter, Blue Highway.
- Before 2002: the dot matrix family Telidon, Telidon Ink, the architectural font Jillican (octagonal), Snowgoose, Bomr, Pakenham, Neuropol, Nasalization, Fenwick, Kleptocracy DLX, Sui Generis, Dirty Bakers Dozen (faded stencil), Minya Nouvelle, Asterisp, Chinese Rocks, Jillsville (great artsy Courier), Ulian, Wevli (including Wevli Dingbats), Sappy Mugs (funny mugshots), Sofachrome (1999, inspired by Pontiac car emblems), Eden Mills (1999).
MyFonts interview. Fontspace link.
Catalog of the Typodermic library in decreasing order of popularity. [Google]
Portuguese foundry in Guimaraes and Porto, est. 2011 by Pedro Lobo, that sells Yorker (2012, a layered athletic lettering font), Borba (2012, a beautiful inline typeface), Sahara (2012, an antique shadow caps face), Akila (2012, a fashion mag didone), Public (2012, art deco marquee face), Scape (2012), Smart (2012, inline caps face), Desk (2012, shadow caps face), Kleiner (2012), Fabrica, Wannabe (octagonal), Kodhigo (slab serif), Molesk (2011, a free slab display face), Tabbaco (connected retro script) and Jono (2011, art deco).
Typefaces from 2013: Player (a layered beveled typeface system), Porto, Woodstik (a tall gothic wood type layered sans family that plays with texture and letterpress), Darko (alchemic, designed under the motto Uppertype goes hipster), Player (a layered type system), Bonie (organic sans).
Behance link. [Google]
Type designer from Nessebar, Bulgaria, b. 1984. She co-designed the über-organic face Glide in 2009 with Alexander Nedelev, with whom she set up the foundry Typedepot in Sofia in 2009. Together, they designed the multiline family Pista (2010) and the organic Oxo family (2010), which includes a stencil, Piron (2010, free), Corki (2011, a condensed slab serif), and Oxo College. Matilde (2010, by Nedelev and Slavova) is a free face with tall ascenders. Banda (2011) is a 16-style semi-serif type family characterized by a tall x-height and rounded semi-serifs. Centrale Sans (2011, Slavova and Nedelev) is a modern sans family. Centrale Sans Condensed was done in 2012.
Behance link. Dafont link. Fontspring link. [Google]
Volcano Type (MAGMA)
Magma Brand Design in Karlsruhe, Germany evolved in 2004 into Volcano Type. Magma is headed by Lars Harmsen (b. Hannover, 1964) and Ulrich Weiss. Lars Harmsen spent the first four years of his life in Chicago. He then moved to Geneva with his parents for eight years, and then moved to Karlsruhe. He completed his schooling at the French section at the European School. He first studied history and Germanics in Freiburg before beginning to study design at Basel, Boston, Saarbrücken and Pforzheim. He got his degree in graphic design, and in 1996 he founded MAGMA [Büro für Gestaltung] together with Ulrich Weiß. He is the co-founder of STARSHOT GmbH, a design company for sports products, now based in Munich. MAGMA created Type Foundry Volcano-Type.de and the internet forum Slanted.de. In the meantime, Slanted.de has become the most active German typography forum. Volcano Type offers commercial and some free typefaces: DigiBo (Boris Kahl), Objects (free ransom face by the house), MonoPoint and DoublePoint (monospace dot matrix families by the house), Amiga Normal and Rounded (pixel faces by Boris Kahl), Screeny, Pixel and C64 Style (pixel faces by Boris Kahl), Fette Pixel (pixel face by Florian Gärtner), Teckbo (digital face by Boris Kahl, who writes: Retro-Avant-Garde for Club-Flyer-Honks and Plastic-Pussy-Chicks), Psycho (grunge by Boris Kahl), Wald Ast (tree branch look by Sandra Augstein), Wald Blatt (tree leaf look by Tanja Rastätter), Rollerblind (a pair of dot matrix faces by Boris Kahl), Chaucer (uncial by Boris Kahl), Glossy (dot matrix face by Sandra Hofacker), Brüll (a funny frog dingbat face by Andre Rösler), Pax (a free peace symbol face by Heidrun Weißschädel and Alexander Kassel), Mud (free face by Boris Kahl). And these display faces by Florian Gärtner: Republic, Tacora. And finally the Fone 1 through 3 grunge faces by Florian Gärtner. The typefaces of Lars Harmsen (or codesigned by him) at Volcano:
- African look faces: Masai
- Athletic lettering: Sports (grungy, with Kahl), Sports Skinny.
- Blackletter: Fraktape Duct, Fraktape Sticky, Fraktendon (=Fraktur+Clarendon, codesigned with Kahl), Trigot (2010, modular, semi-blackletter), Black Sirkka, Frakturbo, SAR-Lupe
- Dingbats: Genocide (free). Mr. J. Smith Eye, Mr. J. Smith Head, Mr. J. Smith Mouth, Mr. J. Smith Nose, and Mr. J. Smith Wanted are experimental dingbat faces by Nikolaii Renger, based on an idea of Lars Harmsen, and digitized by Ulrich Weiss and Boris Kahl. These won an award at the 2005 FUSE competition.
- Experimental: Sewed (2009, stitched letters), Cross Fourty, Cross Sixty, Cross Ten, Cross Thirty, Cross Twenty, Cross Ultra
- Grunge: Basalt, Magneta, Punta Negra, Mrs. Tape Tape
- Hand-drawn: B-Scratch (2009, Harmsen and Egger's take on sketched letters), Amebo, Diabolo, Keycaps, Kulli (curly), Oboni, Wawe, Tape One Bold, Tapemate Outline, Tapemate Regular, Tape One Bold
- LED style: Digibeck (Boris Kahl, 2000: a DVD player font), Strichcode (a family codesigned with Kahl).
- Kitchen tile faces: Bus, Bus PI, both done with Boris Kahl.
- Oriental simulation: Japanese
- Patriot family, done with Boris Kahl: Saddam, Commander Robot, Fidel, Slobbodan, Osama, George.
- Ransom note face: Kriminal
- Sans families: Copy (2009).
Behance link. Klingspor link. Volcano Type link. MAGMA Brand Design link.
Their bestsellers at MyFonts. View Volcano's complete typeface library. See also here. [Google]
Gert Wiescher was born in Braunsbach am Kocher, Germany, in 1944. Based in München, Gerd Wiescher designed many classy and classic Bodoni families, as well as New Yorker Type (1985). All of his typefaces are carefully fine-tuned and balanced. Wiescher founded first Munich Type and then Wiescher Design and Autographis. He is known as a hard, fast and prolific worker. His exquisite faces can be bought at MyFonts. Catalog of his bestselling typefaces. Interview in 2008. Wikipedia page. List of faces:
- Scripts: Felicita (2013, a swashy copperplate script), Vividangelo (2013, after the handwriting of a real person), Dreamline (2013, connected monoline cursive wedding scripts in A, B and C styles), Fiorentina (2012, a renaissance style script with 650 characters), Excelsia Pro (2012), Delicia Pro (2012, a fat bruishy signage script), Nono (2011, formal swashy calligraphic family), Dyane (2011), Penn (2011), Lettera (2011, hand-drawn formal face), Tosca (2010, a high-contrast calligraphic face with 730 glyphs), Grandcafe (2010), Loulou (2010, curly and of extreme contrast), Schoolblock (2010, hand-printed school font), Grandezza (2010, calligraphic family; +Xtra), Sixtra (2010, a curly didone script), English Script (2010, classic Spencerian calligraphic script), Savage Initials (2009), Morning News (2009), Revolte (2009, a brush script for demonstration signs), Estelle (2009), Scriptofino (2008, 4 calligraphic styles to give Zapfino a run for its money), Exprima (2008), Daiquiri (2008), Lisa Bella, Lisa Fiore and Lisa Piu (2008, connected and calligraphic), Tati (2008), Movie Script (2007), Cake Script (2007), Eddy (2007, grungy calligraphy), Pointino (2007), Bohemio (2007, a great oriental-brush script), Artegio (2007, two calligraphic scripts), Xylo (2006, in the tradition of the 18th-century English calligrapher George Bickham and the 19th-century American calligrapher Platt Rogers Spencer), Tamara (2005, art-deco script based on some initials for Semplicita made in the 1930s by the Nebiolo foundry), Tecon, Ellida (2005, inspired by the elaborate scripts of 18th-century English calligrapher George Bickham, with additional influences from 19th-century American calligrapher Platt Rogers Spencer), Eloise (2009, a high-contrast version of Ellida), Nadine Script (2005, an elegant script inspired by a set of initials the French designer and artist Bernard Naudin drew for Deberny&Peignot in the 1920s), Royal Classic (2005, unbelievable script based on a design that has initially been comissioned by King Ludwig I of Bavaria for in-house-use), DesignerScript, Filzer Script (1995, handwriting), Futuramano-Condensed-Bold, Futuramano-Condensed, Futuramano-Plain, Futuramano-Thin, Giambattista, Scriptissimo-Plain, Scriptissimo-Forte, Scriptissimo-Swirls, Squickt (1989), Konstantin A, B and C (2005), Konstantin Forte (2005), MyScript, GrocersScript, Swanson (2006). Scriptissimo (2004) has versions named Start, Middle and End, tweaked for their position in the word, and there are plenty of ligatures. Check also Bodoni Classic Chancery (2007) and Bodonian Script (2012).
- Sans: Supra (2013, grotesk: Supra Thin is free. See also Supra Condensed, 2013, Supra Mezzo (2013, between regular and condensed) and Supra Extended, 2013), Franklin Gothic Raw (2013, like Franklin Gothic but with raw, not rough, outlines, only visible at very large sizes), Blitz (2012, a flared family), Blitz Condensed (2012), Contra Sans (2011, which led to Contra Slab, Contra Condensed and Contra Flare), Vedo (2011, a Bauhaus style family that include a hairline weight), Germania (2011, a useful and beautiful monoline sans family), Geometa (2011, +Rounded, +Rounded Deco, +Deco: all based initially on Renner's Futura), Geometra Rounded (2011, a rounded family based on Futura and "much less boring than DIN"), Bombelli (2010, ultra-wide architect's hand), Bluenote Demi (2010, a grungy Franklin Gothic Condensed), Perfect Sketch (2010, sketched grotesque), Unita (2009), Antea (2009), Eterna (2009, sans with a swing), Pura (2008, an uncomplicated grotesk family), Purissima (2010, a decorated extension of Pura; +Bold), Copperplate Gothic Hand (2009, after a 1901 design by Goudy), Copperplate Alt (2011), Copperplate Wide (2011), FranklinGothicHandDemi (+Shadow), Franklin GothicHandCond (2009), Franklin Gothic Condensed Shadow Hand (2010), and Franklin Gothic Hand Light (2009, a hand-drawn version of Franklin Gothic), Papas (2005, sturdy, slightly curly), Julienne (2005, a condensed sans family), Cassandra (1996, an art deco style after Adolphe Mouron Cassandre), Cassandra Plus (2012), Ela Sans (2005, a large family), Mondial-Bold (2004), Mondial-Demi, Mondial-Light, Mondial-Medium, Mondial-Normal, Mondial-XBold, Monem-Bold, Monem-Medium, Monem-Normal, Monem-Roman.
- Serif: Imperia (2011, a Trajan column caps face), Monogramma (2012, a Trajan family for monograms), Imperium (2005, a precursor of Imperia with a Relief shadow style included), Hard Times (2011), Fat Times (2011, retraced Times), Elegia (2011, slightly Victorian family), Breathless (2010, a spiky family, inspired by nouvelle vague movie posters), Bodoni Classic 1, Bodoni Classic 2, Bodoni Classic 3, BodoniClassic-Condensed, BodoniClassic-Handdrawn, BodoniClassic-Swashes, BodoniClassic-Text, Bodoni Classic Deco, Bodoni Classic Swirls (2009), Bodoni Classic Pro (2011), Bodoni Classic Inline (2012), Bodoni Comedia (2010, one of my favorites: a funny "live one day at a time" curly Bodoni cocktail), Bodoni Classic Swing (2010), Bodoni Classic Free Style (2010, curly), Bodoni Classic Ultra (2010), La Bodoni Plain (+Italic, 2008), Take Five (2005, a jazzy take on Bodoni Classic), DonnaBodoniAa, DonnaBodoniBe, and DonnaBodoniCe (three scripts named after Bodoni's wife, Margharita dell'Aglio, who published his complete works, the Manuale Tipografico, in 1818, five years after his death), Edito, Robusta. A great series, some of which were originally published at Fontshop, see, e.g., FFBodoniClassic (1994). MyFonts: When the first of Wiescher’s Bodoni Classic fonts came out in the 1993, there was nothing like it. Up to then, virtually all Bodoni revivals had been given clear-cut forms and square serifs. But Bodoni’s originals from the late 1800s were never as straight and simplistic as is often assumed: they had rounded serifs and slightly concave feet. Wiescher digitized a wide range of Bodoni letterforms, including a wonderful script-like family called Chancery and a nice series of Initials. Having accomplished his mission twelve years later, he began making personal additions to the family, such as the more decorative Bodoni Classic Swashes. Recently a useful little family was added to the clan: LaBodoni is sturdier and less optically delicate than most Bodonis, and therefore more usable as a text face. Wiescher made Metra Serif (2009), Principe (2008) and Paillas (2009). Prince (2009) is a curlified didone.
- Romain du roi: In 2008, Wiescher designed the two-style Royal Romain, which is based on the Romain du Roi of Philippe Grandjean, which was completed in 1745 after Grandjean's death by Grandjean's successor Jean Alexandre and Louis Luce. Wiescher: The Romain du Roi was for the exclusive use of the Louis XIV. It was never sold or given to any other king or government. The king of Sweden tried to scrounge a set, but the king refused. This font is the basic design for such famous fonts as the Fournier and Bodoni. Just so the Romain du Roi doesn't get lost in the digital turmoil I set out to redesign it in 2004 and finished now in early 2008. I did a lot of research in France's National Library. A good excuse to visit Paris is always welcome!!!
- Engravers: Cavaliere (2010), Guilloche A (2009), CopperplateClassic-Plain, CopperplateClassic-Round, CopperplateClassic-Sans, Copperplate Classic Light Floral (2009), Cimiez-Bold, Cimiez-Roman (2004), Ela-Demiserif, Ela-Sans (2004), Eleganza (2008).
- Blackletter/Fraktur: Renais (2011, renaissance initials), Flipflop (2011), Fraktura and Fraktura Plus (2008), Royal Bavarian (2004, based on a face commissioned by King Ludwig 1st of Bavaria about 1834), Royal Blossom (2009), Royal Bavarian Fancy (2004), Bold Bavarian (2010, a heavy version of Royal Bavarian), Monkeytails (2008), Fat Fritz (2006, rounded endings), Ayres Royal (2005, blackletter face based on drawings of London's calligrapher John Ayres, ca. 1700; to be used with RoyalBavarian; followed in 2010 by BoldAyres).
- Slab serif: Egyptia (2010), Egyptia Rounded (2010).
- Typewriter: Lectra (2011), QuickType-Bold, QuickType-Plain, QuickType-Sans.
- Decorative: Frank Woods (2013, letterpress simulation based on Franklin Gothic Heavy), Ohio Bold (2012, a rough headline type in the tradition of Louis Oppenheim's Lo-Type from 1913), Viking Initials (2012), Cannonball (2012, a psychedelic face derived from a jazz record-sleeve for Cannonball Adderley), Byblos (2011, derived from the logo of St. Tropez's famous Hotel Byblos), Blockprint (2013, early 1900 German expressionist grunge face, renamed Bannertype after 24 hours), Ferrus (2010, inspired by Acier, ca. 1920), Petite Fleur (2009, flowery embellishments and the capitals of his redesigned Royal Romain, which in turn is based on the famous romain du roi), Glass Light (2012, a decoirative art nouveau type family based on Glass Light by Franz Paul Glass, 1912), Penstroxx (2009, 5 fonts that are based on the powerful, expressive Traits de plume (penstrokes) designed in Paris around 1930 by Alfred Latour), Liquoia A, B and C (2008, decorative scripts), Modernista (2008, an art nouveau headline face, based on an 1898 sample by Peter Schnorr), Ornata A, B, C, D, E, F and G (2008-2009: ornaments), Fleuraloha (2008), Floralissimo (2008: flowery ornaments), Frank Flowers (2011), Scrolls A (2010, penman's dingbats), Bacterio (2007), Alpha Bravo, Alpha Charlie, Alpha Echo (2006), Barracuda, Cacao (2005, fifties style), Cassandre Initials (2004, Elsner&Flake, after the 1927 original by Adolphe Mouron Cassandre), Contype, Fleurie (2005), Fleurons Two (2006), Fleurons Three (2006), Fleurons Four (2006), Fleurons Initials (2007), Fleurons Six (2008), Fleuron Labels (2008), HebrewLatino, Julius, Lunix (2006), MyHands, NewYorkerType (1985; extended in 2011 to NewYorker Plus; after Rea Irvin's well-known typeface for The NewYorker), Venice Initials (2006, after a 15th century find, but Wiescher added about half of the caps), Ventoux, Vivian (2005), Woody.
- Pixel and/or futuristic: Nexstar (2013: this octagonal typeface is also useful or athletic lettering), Alpha Fox (2007), Alpha Juliet (2010), Alpha Papa (2010), Alpha Square (2010), Alpha Jazz (2010), Alpha Papa (2010, LED meets stencil).
- Stencil faces: Dripps (2010, handpainted, perhaps brutalist).
- Dingbats: Wayside Ornaments (2012), XX Century Ornaments (2012), Thistle Borders (2012), Greenaway Mignonettes (2012, after Kate Greenaway (1846-1901), author and illustrator of childrens books), Collins Florets (2012), Flourishes A (2010), Jingle Doodles (2010).
- Commissioned and special typefaces include a version of the logotype for the Munich's newspaper Abendzeitung, a Cyrillic version of Bodoni Classic for Vogue Moscow, a special Bodoni Classic for Ringier Publishers in Zurich, and Red Tape, a typeface that is on permanent exhibition at the German National Library in Leipzig.
Author of many books, including Zeitschriften & Broschüren (Systhema-Verlag, München, 1990), Schriftdesign (Systhema-Verlag, München, 1991), and Blitzkurs Typografie (Systhema-Verlag, München, 1992).
The following text was excerpted from his wikipedia page: At 14 years of age, Wiescher went to Paris to study fine art. He financed his stay by doing portraits on the Place du Tertre on Montmartre. In the sixties Wiescher studied graphic design at the Berlin Academy of Fine Arts. (Since November 2001, Berlin University of the Arts.) He financed his studies by sidewalk painting and drawing portraits. While doing sidewalk paintings, he met the typeface designer Erik Spiekermann, who inspired his love of this branch of design. After two years he quit his studies, and went to Barcelona where he worked at the offices of Harnden & Bombelli, for whom he designed the OECD-Pavilion of the 1970 Osaka World Expo. In 1972 he moved on to Johannesburg working as an art director at Grey and Young advertising . In 1975, he returned to Germany, working first for DFS+R-Dorland, and then for the "Herrwerth & Partner" ad agency. At Herrworth, he was involved in introducing IKEA into the German market. In 1977 he became a creative partner in the Lauenstein & Partner ad agency, creating mainly campaigns for large German retail chains. In 1982 he started his own design office, creating work for editors (Markt & Technik, Systhema and Langen-Müller-Herbig), computer companies (House of Computers, FileNet) and he worked for Apple Computers designing their publications (Apple-Age and Apple-LIVE).
View Gert Wiescher's typefaces. Wikipedia link. [Google]
WorldCup 2010 Sans
A font extracted by an abf reader from Flash files used by ESPN and posted there. [Google]
Belgian designer who used FontStruct in 2008 to create a striped display face called Structica Stripes, which is based on his Structica. He also made Structica Black and Cloudy, as well as Squrbed, Squrbed2 and Squrbed Rounded. Anotherone and Anotheronebis are heavy octagonal faces, with the latter being a slab serif version of the former. Fatty is an ultra-fat face following the 2007-2008 trend in such faces. Fonts from 2009: Pixel Grotesque, Structica (+Black), AnotherOne, AnotherOneBis (octagonal, mechanical), Yet Another Pixel Font, You Finish It (outlined, athletic lettering). Additions in 2010: Oekaf (+Mono, +Slab), Px (pixel family, with Slab, Uni, Sans, Nrrow), Minimalist, FFF Lettertype, Ptit Sans. [Google]
Max Infeld (b. 1981, aka Xerographer Fonts) from Chico, CA, makes free fonts and offers a free font making service. He surged onto the font scene in 2012.
Creations in 2012: Perspect (3d face), Nuevo Stencil, Dingus, Dirty Serif, Skinny Serif, Batt Marber, Hollavetica (2012, grunge), Stick Tickle, Carve Your Table (20120, Stripe Fest (2012, 3d, handprinted), Craycray For You, Feed The Bears, Yummy Nubs, Yum Nub Extended, Sleeping in Lecture (2012, informal 3d face), Zombie Checklist (2012, handprinted), Lisas First Class (2012, handprinted), Stick Four, Two Stick, Spacetime, Drunk Tattoo, Bantum Caps (2012, hand-printed stencil face), Funny Zebra, Sick Future (2012, grungy), Fuzzy Handcuffs, Black Spiral, Happy Caps, Come Party, Hellawood, Chronic Gothic, Ice Cream Party, Grassevent (2012, texture face), Electrical (2012, letters cracked by lightning), Rockster, Strungout, Bubbletea (2012, bubblegum font), Yumernub, Nighthour, Pointy, Simplehand, Linerstencil, Stickchop, Tapetype, Rolling Deep (2012, based on arcs of circles), Pony Rides, Bambu, Stolen Script, Secret Sauce, Eighties, Negative, Turds, Identify (2012, a fingerprint font), Another Party, Mighty Roping, Copy Stand, Cloudstorm, Teardrops, Friends Forever, Delicious Applepie (texture face), Crackvetica, Stormtime (grungified face), Therp (2012: 3d face), Spookies, Freeline (3d engraved face), Super Serious, Robot Shadow (2012: 3d face), Great Arrows, Great Shadow (2012: textured face), Alien Fur, Graffical, Bent Out, Splatish, Seamonster, Thirds Hand (2012: 3d outline face), Particle Physics, Poster Script (2012: rough script), Badazzle (2012, texture face), Serifvetica, Make Impact (2012, a 3d headline typeface), Stenciltration, Naughty Pipe, Qrurl, FunHaus, Flame Time, Steller Script, Summer Festival (2012, grungy caps), Major Earthquake (2012, grungy outline text face), Hot Sweat (2012, texture face), Metal Crime (2012, a cracked marble typeface), Summer Blacktop, Great Farmer, an angular typeface, Lucky Scratcher, Future Moon (textured face), Shatter Web (2012, a glaz krak face), Power Play (2012, another glaz krak face), Magic Crystal (2012, yet another glaz krak typeface), Rough Cut, Rock Harder (2012, texture face), Shred Hard, Clock Work, Major Veins, Paint Scratch, Break Away, Quick Comic, Summer Scriptastic, Absolute Money, Brush Sand, Playhouse, Pleasure Wash, Meat Market (dripping blood font), Paper Folder, Scratchingly, Fresh Sticks, FunTrucks, Quick Rodeo, Poster Bold, Open Bars (horizontal stripes), Outline Twelve, Spot Event (grungy outline face), Final Slash (textured typeface), Munchies, Meltasstic, Some Bubbles, French Sugar (very curly script), Cream Cone, Zap Deal, Crack Snacks, High Method, Crack Bars, Wall Fresh, Star Wonder, CurlyQue, Summer Script, Happy Lines, Just Marker, Solid Marker, Straight Hand, Wurm Fun, Rave Time (sketched face), Graff Caps, Erect Angle (outlined and hand-printed), Circle Caps, Story Time, Upper Side, Lower Side, Tech Haus (sketched), Boneyard, Status Update, Eigth Grade (sic), Table Shank, Serial Lover, Freaky Night (blood drip font), Future Girlfriend, Summer Scare, Faster Stronger, Smoking Cracks (texture face), After School, Cutting Edge, Animal Cracker, Sticky Mad, Comic Chub, Right Way, RockLess, CleanFade, Exploded Capital, Size Matters, EightBite, Extra Dimension, Cap Scratched, FanCom, Optic Nerd, Spooky Stencil, Five Dozen, Great Mix, LowCase, Swirl Insertion, Lube Splash, Organic Vines, Fall Greetings, Plant Type, Fast Brush, Hair Bows, Limo Caps, Bold Shake, Path Check, PopCap, Angle Stroke, Scratch Point, China Town (oriental simulation), Gunky Ick, Super Fade (textured), Practical Script, Delicious Outline, Fourth Dimension, College Scribble (sketch font), Dirty Western, Freeky Typewriter, Creature Builder, Bang Time (a rough brush), Fall Harvest (sketch face), EuroParty, Fire Proof, Eye Scare, Empire Caps, Pleasure Castle (a great barbed face), Scribble Time (sketched font), Star Rising (poster font), Dottline, Euro Horror, Metal Show (metal band font), Fantastic Sunset, Toxic Waste, Alien Waffle (textured face), Rewind Forward, Stitchy Times, Snug Bum, Star Fishy, Ghost Clouds, Epic Slash, Childs Persprective, Thin Fine, Metal Event (chiseled face), Tight Box, Saber Husk, Major Scare, Terminal Event, Pirates Bay, Wicked Cockney, Great Splunk, Diamond Cut, Treehause Horror, Indie hand, Sweet Revenge, Chronical Script, Peaceful Violence, Basic Header, Hand Work, Ninja Turtle, AquaColor, Furry Sack, Mad Style, Alien Dot, Dirty Feature, Wine Basement (connected script), Pen War (scratchy script), Angelina, Skate Around, Wide Thin (brush face), Frisky Vampire, SuperBling, Chronic Harvest, Fur Handcuffs, Darth Fader (textured face), House Rave, Snow Frosting, Post News, Straight Baller (white on black poster face), Heavy Weight, Angry Nerds (brush face), Future Style (hand-printed 3d face), Liner34, Tweak Diner, Frosty Holiday, Zap Control, Kids Outline, Shock Treatment, Flesh Digster, Shredding Harder (grungy scratchy typeface), Metal Chakra (barbed wire face), Childs Funtime, Super Cut, Holy Scriptacular, Tangent Print, Chung Flew, Lucky Money, Oven Bread, Soda crack, Quick Dirty, Victory Cut, College Dropout (athletic lettering), Comic Shadow, Mystery Forest (sketched), Code Danger, Slash King, Phat Rave (sketched), Tiger Tails, Major Rules, Cloud Home, Flower Header (floriated caps), Tiny Friends, Tasty Sundae, Leaking Type, Saturday Evening, Agenda Clash, Tripple Dots, Plain Handline, Cutefold, Gift Exchange, Reaganald Script, Broadway Event (marquee face), Gotfaded (textured face), Disco Rush, Some Lines, Inside Flower, Scratch This, Alien Sweater (stitch font), Fantom Bantum, Stripe Fun, Thrift Store, Legit Outline, Country Gold, Chrome Fancy, Barnyard Massacre (Treefrog style), Holiday Event, Art Times, Flesh Shop, Heart Baller, Free Kittenz, CreamPuff, Outline Around, Quivering Noodle, Rocking Lines, Tugboat, Comic Bubble, Hand Shadow, Sans College, Winter Ice, Cutout Poster, Woodblock Cutter, Handy Stencil, Dirty Cursive.
The following typefaces were designed by Matt Barber: Gateway Drug (2013), Crankdeal (2012, a hand-printed poster face), Mad Caps, Third Leg (multiline typeface), Late Nights, Sewn Tight (2012, stitch font), Black Widow (2012).
The following typefaces were codesigned with Dylan Tellesen in 2012: Dingleberry (+Solid), Threed, Brushingtons, Excellent Stencil, Handrelief, Partyline, Basic Chrome, Spot Lights, Big Spit, Code Bars, Color Blind, Skullvetica, Diamond Plate, Blambu, Hounds, Knity (texture face), Eightballer, Another Line (a basic straight-edged monoline sans), Rocking Poster, Robotic Revolution, Organic Nature, Underground Event, Surf Shack, Greater Shadow, Razor Slice, Big Print (textured face), Scripty Caps.
Typefaces made in 2013: Fresh Maker, Lucky Dogs, Quickly Write, Gourmet King (glaz krak font), Austin Lights, Pony Maker, Crystal House (grunge), Secret Event (textured face), Indian Tiger, Great Camp, Cowboy Would, Western Racing, Stripe Attack (textured font), Art Bang (grunge), Quick Scratch, Cold Brew, Fresh Twist, Nine Eight, Going Fast, Mega Riches, Taste Bomb (textured face), Brighten Days, Supergraf (a brushy graffiti face), Last Hand, Spring Ninja (brush face), Circuit City, Global Village, Yard Gnome, Lite Hand, Metal Block (Zero, Two, Three: scanbats), Indie Rock, Ancient Story, Super Drag, Slight Rocking, Over Scribble, Quickly Caps, Crack Deco, Victory Time (faded formal script), Futuristic Outline, Another Student, More Party, Brush Grunge, Zipper Fries, Diamond Lux, Splatter Funtime, Durh Shapes, Frosty Winter, Whole Space, BlockWood, Soda Water, Magic Scribble, Seaming Stitchy, Thrash Party, Line Fever, Great Bush, Right Price, Tight Carve, American Freedom, Jimbos Print, Quick Cut (faded face), Super Cracks (glaz krak face), More Party, Half Faded (textured face), Charcoal Script, Future Lines, Dot Outline, Half Tones, Shady Walk, Quick Slash, School Notes (sketched face), Block Party, Wonderful Party, Heart Stripe, Heart Beat, Heart Hole, Paint Balls, Golden Lights, Spring Party (texture face), Shockvetica (glaz krak face), Safe Paper, Sword Fighting, Camo Wear (textured face), Disco Night (art deco), Reverse Frick, Scratchy Fun (sketched), Fun Origami, Special Exit, Kid Print, an old typewriter collection (Dirty Olympia, Sterling Keys, SuperKeys, Quiet Type, Hermes Rocket, Double Studio, Light Fingers), Designer Pixels, Beauty Salon (Treefrog script), Headshot, Mega Bone, Fantastic Habits, Fridge Letters (textured), Kids Blocks (scanbats), Theater Event (grunge), Circle Pixels, Taste Bomb, Kite High, Run Away (3d) Dirty Coal (brushy), Dot Sticks, Twerk Fifty, Dance Lights (textured), Steam Rose (textured), Donkey Punch, Fold Line (origami), Tiger Nuts (textured), Fun Bear, Standard Header (letterpress, 3d), Marble Wasteland, Bender Lines, Magical Springtime, Open Hatch (hand-printed), Retro Tastic, Space Zombie (hand-printed), Mad Triangle (textured typeface), Sweaty Party (a fun sketched typeface), Freaky Manor (gothic typeface), Special Brand (texture face), Western Clown, Company Problem, Derp Icons, Pixel Hour (textured face), Basic Scratch, Indie Sellout, Next Level (textured face), Third Rail (grunge), Real Trap (athletic lettering), Bang Party, Title Solution (textured face), Special Third (textured face), Deal Maker (textured typeface), Liquor Bank (3d), Electrical Neue, Eighties Locker (grunge), Visual magnets (textured typeface), Final Relief (textured), Comic Tans, Bright Headline (hand-printed), Tiger Bawl, Cut Away (cutout letters), Kings Castle (textured face), Southern Riots (grunge), Slick Wave (textured face), Smash Break (texture face), Thin Simple, Super Rocket, Kids Game, Eighties Shades, Melt Factory, Pirate Zombie (grunge), Doktor Scratch, Mix Tape (textured face), City Tags, Gotcha (3d face), Wild Scratch (textured), Inter Fade (textured), Urban Labels (textured), Hot Tropics, Quantum Pixel (grungy), Minus Plus, Lower Scratch, Flying High, Broken Mustangs (script), Byte Shades (textured), Bolt Light (textured), Just Quick, Hotrocks, Total Event, Racing Flow, Energy Drink (textured), Inside Box (a wonderful metal-look textured typeface), Heat Wave (a wide poster face), Great Miami (arched typeface), Disco Midnight, Clean Scratch, Vegas Nights (textured and smudgy), Pirate Disco, Swift Chops, Zero Hype, Dot Tricks (grungy), Shaken (glaz krak font), Great Points (textured), High Level (textured), Break Time (textured), Circus Party, Crash Site (glaz krak face), Lower Resolution, Fifty Hours (script), For Sale (script), Broken Fixed (script), Hieroglyph Licks, Think Plan, Fancy Shadow, Forwards Backwards, High Sales, Slash Thirty (blood drip face), Universal Freaky, Event Shark, Bone King, Sharking, Magnetic, Paper Shreads, Summer Watermelon, Bubble Yums, Crazy Eyes, Danger Waffles (textured face), Early Scare, Farm Barns, Freckle Jackson, Greater Sales, Indian Summer, Mixed Thirty, Positive Warp, Reasonable Speculation, School Party, Scratching Matters, Lemonade Summer, High Style (textured face), Biology, Aweseome Style, Box Lines, Cloud Ahead, Going Around, Hot Flash, Major Stripe (sketched face), Pixel Draw, Summer Fire, SuperTack, Sure Real (Treefrog style), Totally Straight, Mega Gothic, Basic Hand, Chief Scare, Plain Slice, Sail Away, Gone Away, Chubby Muffin, Crack King, Dirty Jobs, Paris Label, Phone Home, Kids Party, Zombie Stitch, Moden Post, Rock Bait (Treefrog style script), Tent Sale (brush face), Event Maker, Quantum Ants, Cheap Horror, Extra String, Scratch Times, Snorkel Whisp, Dirty Looks, Bould, Window Crash (glaz krak face), California Harvest, Twerking Nasty, College Movie, Easy Horror, Brush Some, Autumn Two, Season Fourteen, Always Never, Fresh Bone, Scare Camp, Twinkle Fingers, Dirty Bandit, Metal Clash, Simple Folks, Sunrise Disco, Danger Zone, Swift Break, Dusty Salmon (textured face), Urban Poster, Tasty Drips (dripping paint font), HardLine (3d font), Technophilia, Zombie State, Come Inside, Popular Invite, Tough Horror, Wonderful Phonograph, Zombie Scratch, Thunder Crack, Fresh Riot, Metal Atlas, Grunge Shack, Gif Wrap, Punk Inside, Disco Break, Quantum Future, Major Black (textured), Stone Bird, Fantastic Party, Quick Money, Fast Time, Hecka Grunge, Electric Night, Tasty Swirl, Helping Stranger, Radical Llamas, Real Gold, Double Shadow, Space Cats, Space Fight, Furious Racing (textured typeface), Snow Flakes, Solid Event, First Place, Total Shock, Hairy Fun, Cats String, Dragons Breath, Stripe Disco, College Bytes, Late Club, Road Skin (textured), City Heights (textured), Easy Bricks, Insert Fun, Grunge Kids (textured), Solid Brand, Winter Decor (snow crystal font), Doctor Meow, Real Fast, Major Sketchy, Easy Romance, Globtastic, Noses, Strike King, Salty Would, First Contact.
Dafont link. [Google]
Designer who used FontStruct in 2009 to make the athletic lettering face University Style. [Google]
Lee Schulz (Yes Please, Portland, OR) created these typefaces in 2012: Standard Shaded Sans (+Fill), Standard Shaded Slab (an octagonal set that could be used for athletic lettering), International (multiline, prismatic).
In 2013, he added the baseball script typeface Delicious Pro. [Google]
[Impacto Laser (was: SuperFlexia)]
Zachary Font Page
[Edward A. Leach]
Kid's writing fonts designed by Edward Leach from Greensboro, MD. These include Adonais (1994, chisel font), McParland and Franks (1994). Here, we find his Cygnet (1994). Leach also made Zachary (1997), Odin (1995, with K. Brubaker) and Marcie (1994, with Marcie Sophir). Fontica carries his font Athletic (1994).
Fontspace link. Dafont link. [Google]
Stéphane Mondesir (Zenkilla Fonts) is the French creator (b. 1980) in 2009 at FontStruct of Paperface, Ceed, Dconstruct, LightA, Zen F, Twodays, Bad Bold and Bad Bold College (athletic lettering stencil face). In 2010, he added Erika (+Deco). Home page. He lives in Montreuil sous Bois. Behance link. [Google]
Russian site with original and not-so-original free fonts for Latin and Cyrillic: Amsterdamvp, CyrillicGoth (blackletter, VNLabs 1992), Invest (1993, bank note etched letters), DSNote (Dubina Nikolay, 2000), StillTimeCyr (by Dubina Nikolay, based on a Ray Larabie handwriting font), UnrealTournament (gothic, by email@example.com), AlternaTitulB&W, CampusOtl-Bold (athletic lettering), China (1999, oriental simulation), Epson1 (dot matrix). [Google]
Fontstructor who made these faces in 2012: FIEL, Laviva (octagonal), NoHole, Imgres, Distorted, Nool, Sportfan, Brasil 2011 (based on the lettering of Brazil's soccer team). [Google]